DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: PDR Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 07:59 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/jamoris-slaughter?id=2539278

Overview

There isn’t anywhere that Slaughter hasn’t lined up over the past three years in South Bend. Even at six feet, 200 pounds, he has played a safety/linebacker hybrid position in addition to lining up as a nickel back and either safety spot. This versatility will endear him to NFL defensive coordinators always on the lookout for players able to stay on the field no matter the offensive personnel.

The all-state high school safety from Georgia did not play for the Irish in 2008, but played in all 12 games the following year (one start, 14 tackles). Slaughter played in 11 games, started five, and was credited with 31 tackles, three pass break-ups, and an interception; he played through an ankle injury suffered in the opener for most of the year, missing two games and undergoing surgery after the season. As a junior, he often played around the line (45 tackles, four for loss, two sacks) but still had an impact in coverage duties while starting 10 of 13 games played. In his senior year, Slaughter participated in just three games before tearing his Achilles tendon. He was denied an extra year of eligibility by the NCAA. In those three games, he registered eight tackles and one pass breakup.

Analysis
Strengths
Solid pass defender. Knocks receivers off their route with a strong punch, and has the read-and-react skills to follow quarterbacks’ eyes and knock away passes in zone. Attacking blitzer, able to throw aside running backs and run under the shoulder of tackles trying to protect their quarterback. Also plays with strength against the run, fighting off receivers to contain on the edge. Brings attitude into head-on collisions in the open field, can stop backs in the hole. Contributes on special teams coverage units, using speed and intensity to fight through blocks.

Weaknesses
Lacks a true position. Might not have the size to suceed against tight ends or the foot quickness to handle faster receivers. Spends a lot of time around the line, will needs to prove the range and ability to read routes in two-deep looks. Hasn’t been challenged in coverage often. Injuries.

NFL Comparison
Eddie Pleasant

Bottom Line
Notre Dame coaches have used Slaughter’s excellent football instincts all over the field throughout his career. However, between his lack of a true position, season ending injury, and a deep defensive back class, Slaughter might not hear his name called on draft day.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:00 PM
Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhat?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

There were so many better players on the board that every other team has also passed over for six rounds!!!!!!!

Fire everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:01 PM
At least it wasn't a trade????
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:01 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:03 PM
Mayock, Charles Davis, and David Shaw all love the pick.
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:03 PM
I just don't know about drafting a guy with such an injury history.

Who knows, hopefully it works out.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:03 PM
Jamoris Slaughter career:
98 tackles, 4.0 TFLs, 2 INTs, coming off of torn achilles

Cody Davis 2012:
101 tackles, 3.5 TFLs, 3 INTs, runs 4.4 40. Great open-field tackler.

makes sense.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:04 PM
I like this kid. He's gonna provide versatility in some of Hortons packages.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:04 PM
6th round pick. Take the guy with the highest upside.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:05 PM
Quote:

mayock is a notre dame honk. he had motta as 5th best safety in this draft.

davis and shaw arent going to badmouth a pick.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:05 PM
Are we really complaining about a 6th round pick? I know it happens every year, but I'm still shocked.
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:06 PM
I just would have preferred someone else, so I don't like the pick.

Just because he's a 6th round pick, doesn't mean we can't have preferred someone else.
Posted By: BpG Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:07 PM
Quote:

Fills a need, the analysts think it's a great pick and when I heard the word "instincts" to describe a player, I love it. Solid draft so far IMO
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:08 PM
That is true. I am just not going to fret over a player who probably won't be on the roster in two years.
Exactly. 90% of these guys will be out of the league in two years, but the goofs are griping about him. I will be glad when the other board is fixed and alot of this goes away.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:08 PM
he's the third player we've added in the draft. there are superior options available at his position, and we need a starter there. He's coming off one of the few injuries we still can't fix.

The cliched trite dismissals of critcisms are lazy. this is why we're still bad, we do dumb crap in the draft every year.
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:09 PM
I'm not fretting over it. Like you said, it's just a 6th round pick.

I just don't understand it.

I really can't wait to hear the explanation why Jordan Poyer is STILL there.

This makes no sense to me.
guess Rambo did something unthinkable... what in the world..
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:09 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Fills a need, the analysts think it's a great pick and when I heard the word "instincts" to describe a player, I love it. Solid draft so far IMO

we have a hole at PUP?
Posted By: Lemmys_Wart Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:09 PM
A guy who can fly all over the field and apply big hits and cover passes? Sounds similar to Polamalu's playing style. I'll gladly take that in the 6th.

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:12 PM
Obviously Poyer was no ranked highly by every team as he has gone undrafted through 6 1/2 rounds.
Posted By: PDR Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:12 PM
Quote:

there are superior options available at his position, and we need a starter there.

We were probably looking at the pick as a special teams/platoon type player.
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:12 PM
Quote:

Obviously Poyer was no ranked highly by every team as he has gone undrafted through 6 1/2 rounds.

Thanks for stating the obvious.

Now if you can tell me why, which is what I was asking, that'd help me out.
Posted By: Nas320 Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:13 PM
Quote:

guess Rambo did something unthinkable... what in the world..

Character flag, certainly.

He was suspended for a failed drug test last year and suspended in 2011 for what was assumed to be the same thing.

Already on the substance abuse list because of it, so any violation in the NFL would carry a stiffer initial penalty (I believe).

The Slaughter pick is meh. An injury riddled player, with little college production, coming off an achilles injury. That seems like about a 1% chance of succes.
Posted By: bugs Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:15 PM
You'll need to dig a little on this kid. I vaguely remember. He was all over the field in a game against the num nut Purdue Boilmakers (GO I U). Ummm, if he comes out of his Achilles injury ok, I believe Lombardi may have found Rubin II.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:17 PM
Called it weeks ago Rambo will drop...as Reshad Jones was better at Georgia and lasted until round 5...with Rambos off field concerns are prolly holding him back...surprised someone hasn't grabbed him in round 6...
Slaughter is from my neck of the woods too in East Atlanta..

I'm hearing if he gets the chance to play, he's gonna ball out.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:18 PM
j/c

People are knocking a guy who saw playing time at Notre Dame as a red-shirt freshman, was an occasional starter his sophomore year, a starter his junior year and was the starter his senior year until he got hurt and if he had stayed healthy would probably have been an early round pick.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:18 PM
Quote:

I agree. I think it is a excellent pick. The guy is a good player who if not hurt last season might have been a 2nd rounder.

This guy plays on special teams as a standout from day one and is a starter sooner than later.

People who complain about the pick are simply complaing to complain. Get over it.
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:20 PM
Quote:

People who complain about the pick are simply complaing to complain. Get over it.

Or they simply preferred someone else.

I don't HATE the pick, but I don't like it either, I would have preferred Poyer, Rambo or even Alvin Bailey.

That's just my opinion. Hopefully I'm wrong and Slaughter turns into an all-pro Safety.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:21 PM
J/C

Where do you think we'll end up putting him?
Posted By: bugs Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:21 PM
Quote:

Slaughter is from my neck of the woods too in East Atlanta..

I'm hearing if he gets the chance to play, he's gonna ball out.

Post what you know...I'm hoping it is the kid I'm thinking. If so, he is absolute steal!
Posted By: ERock#29 Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:24 PM
I'm just hoping he's healthy. Recovering from an Achilles injury is a difficÈlt challenge.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:26 PM
Well, he's had 2 fewer surgeries than Milliner.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:28 PM
Quote:

I'm just hoping he's healthy. Recovering from an Achilles injury is a difficult challenge.

Exactly. Even if it was an ACL, I'd be able to convince myself it wasn't an issue.

http://lowerextremityreview.com/article/return-to-football-after-achilles-tendon-rupture

Return to football after Achilles tendon rupture

Only two-thirds of National Football League players ever come back, and those who do find their performance significantly affected. But research suggests a prodromal period may offer opportunities for early intervention.

by Khalid Shirzad, MD; John D. Hewitt, MD; Carter Kiesau, MD; and Selene G. Parekh, MD, MBA

Achilles tendon injuries have increased over the past few decades; however, the true frequency of Achilles tendon ruptures is unknown. These tears are usually the result of mechanical stress and intratendinous degeneration or pathology. The tendon can be affected by recurrent microtrauma with a low propensity to heal or degenerative changes within the tendon. Corticosteroids and fluoroquinolone antibiotics have also been implicated in tendon pathology.1 Mechanisms leading to tendon failure involve the rapid loading of an already tensed tendon. Proposed mechanisms of loading or overloading that result in an Achilles tendon failure include a dorsiflexion force to the ankle with a strong contraction of the triceps surae muscle, pushing off of the weight-bearing foot with the knee in extension, and a strong dorsiflexion force on the plantar flexed ankle.2 Between 75% and 85 % of ruptures have been associated with athletic activities or racquet and ball sports.1

Compared to the general population, athletes in the National Football League (NFL) are at increased risk for injury because the game involves explosive acceleration and sudden changes in direction.3 Very little is known about the epidemiology of Achilles tendon ruptures in the NFL. Utilizing data publicly available on the Internet, one retrospective review identified 31 Achilles tendon ruptures in NFL players over a five-year period (5.2 injuries/year).3 During the 2008-2009 NFL season, six players suffered season-ending Achilles tendon ruptures. Although the incidence of Achilles rupture is low, 0.93% per NFL game, nearly 36% of affected players never return to playing at the NFL level.3

Parekh et al used a player’s power rating as a measure of functional outcome in the evaluation of “skill players” in the NFL, which included defensive tackles, cornerbacks, linebackers, wide receivers, and running backs.3 The power rating is a measure of a player’s performance using statistics gathered during game play, such as passing and rushing yards for an offensive player and tackles and interceptions for a defensive player. This study showed that 31 acute Achilles tendon ruptures occurred in NFL players between 1997 and 2002. The average age of a player sustaining a rupture was 29, with an average career before injury spanning six years.

Of the 31 players who sustained an Achilles tendon rupture, 21 (64%) returned to play in the NFL at an average of 11 months after injury. In the three seasons following their return, those 21 players saw significant decreases in games played and power ratings compared to the three seasons preceding the injury.

The percentage of players returning to play at the NFL level is consistent with a meta-analysis performed by Bhandari4 in 2002. The authors reported return to function rates of 63% for patients treated nonoperatively and 71% for those treated operatively. If we assume that all the NFL players were treated operatively, as would be the standard for young athletes, the return to play rate of 64% is slightly lower than the 71% reported in the meta-analysis. This difference could be attributed to the excessive demands placed on the operatively repaired Achilles tendon in NFL players combined with a body size, strength, and explosiveness that would further increase these demands.

The length of time to allow full activity after Achilles tendon repair is generally thought to be four to six months.4-6 The 11 months needed to return to play as a professional football player seems considerably longer. However, there is a major difference between allowing full activity and returning to play in the NFL. Even when the typical patient is allowed to participate in full activity, it does not mean that he or she is adequately rehabilitated to perform at maximal efforts. Studies to determine maximal improvement after surgical treatment are lacking in the orthopedic literature.

Furthermore, in the reviewed 21 NFL skill players who returned to play, there were significant decreases in games played per season (11.67 games per year pre-injury versus 6.17 games per year postinjury) when averaged over the three seasons before the injury and the three seasons after the injury.3 There were also decreases averaging nearly 50% in power ratings of the returning players for the three seasons after the injury compared to the three seasons before the injury. These data indicate that even in players able to return to their former level of play, the quality of play may suffer permanently.

Currently, it’s thought that operative treatment yields the best functional outcome for active patients.4-12 Intra-operatively, the appropriate resting tension of the tendon should be restored. Unfortunately, this is difficult to assess because there is no objective way to predict the actual resting tension of the tendon. Theoretically, if this tension is not restored, the force-tension relationship of the muscle tendon unit is disturbed, which would lead to a decrease in functional strength in the gastroc-soleus complex. This functional weakness could lead to more subtle loss of playing ability in high-demand athletes.

istockphoto.com 9037524

Another possible factor that could have contributed to quality of play in athletes returning from Achilles tendon rupture is the rehabilitation protocol. Traditionally, patients have been treated postoperatively with a prolonged period of non-weight-bearing activity, ranging from six to eight or more weeks. More recently, studies advocating early functional activity have been published.9 These studies show improved functional outcome with respect to strength and decreased length of time to full activity. Despite having access to highly skilled rehabilitation protocols and personnel, professional football players in the U.S. may be limited in their recovery potential by an overly conservative treatment protocol.

Parekh et al3 also reported a decline in power ratings for certain skill players, specifically running backs and receivers, in the three seasons prior to their acute Achilles tendon rupture. It is possible that this observation suggests the presence of a prodromal period of Achilles tendinosis. Prodromal symptoms are reported by 15% to 20% of patients with eventual ruptures and include sharp pain in the tendon with activity, as well as reduced ankle dorsiflexion.13,14 More than half of 292 patients treated surgically for Achilles tendon rupture by Josza et al15 had evidence of preexisting degenerative changes in the tendon. Access to the NFL injury database would illuminate any symptoms these players may have been having prior to the season of their respective Achilles tendon ruptures.

Clinical implications

The treatment of acute Achilles tendon ruptures varies, and there is no uniformly accepted algorithm of care. Management ranges from nonsurgical to percutaneous, mini-open, and formal open repair methods. In general, studies show lower re-rupture rates and better functional outcomes with surgical repair than nonsurgical management.12 Some suggest that nonsurgical management should be used only when there is coaptation of the tendon ends with the ankle in 20° of plantar flexion as verified on ultrasound or MRI. However, for athletes wishing to return to pre-injury function as quickly as possible, surgical repair is the preferred option of choice. Some have used an accelerated protocol with range-of-motion exercises 72 hours after surgery, a posterior splint for two weeks, and subsequent ambulation in a hinged orthosis. Six weeks after surgery, use of the orthosis was discontinued, full weight bearing was allowed, and progressive resistance exercises were initiated.6 This protocol is in comparison to patients with Achilles tendon ruptures treated nonoperatively, with mean casting time of 8.3 weeks prior to beginning rehabilitation.7 However, higher rates of complications do occur with surgical treatment of acute Achilles tendon ruptures.7 The most common complications from surgery include wound complications, adhesions, altered sensation, and infection. Less invasive surgical methods have been developed to minimize these complications.

Historically, re-rupture rates were higher with percutaneous and mini-open techniques compared to open repair, but recent literature suggests equal rates.11 However, coaptation of the tendon ends is not ensured with minimally invasive techniques. In addition, MRI findings show that it takes longer for the tendon gap to disappear with percutaneous methods (11.6 weeks) than with open repair (8.6 weeks).8 Some surgeons use endoscopy in addition to their minimally invasive technique to confirm that the tendon ends are approximated.10 Studies comparing percutaneous repair to open repair show no difference in re-rupture rates, but the infection rate is higher with open repair.5

istockphoto.com 4364448

Rehabilitation after surgical repair is trending over the past decade toward earlier motion and weight bearing. This trend is somewhat based on knowledge of improved strength and gliding of tendon repairs following hand surgery after rehabilitation protocols with early motion and controlled loading. Such ideas of early motion have also been popularized in anterior cruciate ligament reconstructions. In a retrospective review, Shelbourne16 showed a reduction in loss of knee motion and strength after an accelerated rehabilitation program following ACL reconstructive surgery; however, in a more recent prospective randomized analysis, Beynnon et al17 showed no difference in functional performance between the study’s two groups.

A goal of surgical Achilles treatment is to prevent tendon elongation, which can be responsible for decreased power of the gastroc-soleus complex, by lengthening the musculotendinous unit. Patients with a surgically repaired Achilles tendon, who are placed in a brace and allowed early motion from neutral to plantar flexion, have less tendon elongation than do patients who are treated in a cast.18 Studies looking at immediate weight bearing have shown an earlier time to normal walking and stair climbing, but not in return to sports.19 Suchak et al20 noted an improvement in outcome scores, enhanced quality of life, and activity level in the early postoperative period with a weight bearing as tolerated protocol; however, no difference was found at six months. Studies have also shown that formation of adhesions and sural nerve deficits were less frequent with use of functional rehabilitation versus immobilization postoperatively.21,22 One concern in an early motion and weight-bearing protocol is the potential for increased risk of re-rupture if patients prematurely return to strenuous activity. Other authors have shown no significant differences between patients treated with early functional treatment and those with immobilization with regard to pain, stiffness, subjective calf muscle weakness, footwear restrictions, range of ankle motion, calf muscle strength, or overall outcome.21,23

The decrease in power ratings seen in the NFL players could suggest that they are returning too soon, before rehabilitation is fully complete, that the ultimate strength of the healed repair is less than its pre-injured state, or that the musculotendinous unit may have lengthened. Based on the literature, the best treatment for athletes would consist of surgical repair, with an open, mini-open, or percutaneous technique, focused on tendon apposition and proper musculotendinous unit tensioning followed by a functional rehabilitation program involving a progression of increasing motion, weight-bearing, and strengthening exercises. Typically, return to sports is allowed at six months. Even after return to activity, it may be necessary for patients to perform more intense strength training of the repaired tendon and gastroc-soleus complex prior to full participation in their sport.

Acute Achilles tendon rupture can be a career-ending injury for athletes. The question arises as to whether we should be more aggressive in treating a prodromal period in an attempt to avoid a subsequent rupture. This treatment would be initiated by pain and symptoms experienced by the athlete. Initial evaluation should consist of taking a history and performing an exam. Ultrasound evaluation or MRI may be considered to evaluate the presence of tendinopathy. If tendinopathy is not present and a prodromal period is suspected, then initial treatment should consist of activity modification, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), a heel lift, and physical therapy concentrating on eccentric strengthening of the gastroc-soleus complex. While some stretching may be beneficial, aggressive stretching may aggravate the symptoms. Further treatment could include vasodilation with topical nitric oxide, which has been shown to reduce pain and improve outcomes in cases of chronic tendinopathy.24,25 Other investigational treatments include pulsed electromagnetic fields and extracorporeal shock-wave therapy. If tendinosis is present, the treatment would be the same; however, further surgical options would include percutaneous longitudinal tenotomy and open debridement.

Achilles tendon ruptures can have dramatic career implications for the athlete. These are complex injuries, with surgical intervention being only the first step in the recovery. The ultimate return to function is based on a variety of variables, some of which are controllable by the surgeon, athlete, and therapists. Ultimately, more research will be needed to examine these injuries and their outcomes to determine the ideal protocols for treatment of the competitive athlete.

Khalid Shirzad, MD; John D. Hewitt, MD; and Carter Kiesau, MD, are fellows of foot and ankle surgery in the division of orthopaedic surgery at Duke University in Durham, NC. Selene G. Parekh, MD, MBA, is an associate professor of surgery in the same division.

References

1. Schepsis AA, Jones H, Haas AL. Achilles tendon disorders in athletes. Am J Sports Med 2002;30(2):287-305.

2. Arner O, Lindholm A. Subcutaneous rupture of the Achilles tendon: a study of 92 cases. Acta Chir Scand 1959;116(Suppl 239):1-51.

3. Parekh SG, Wray WH, Brimmo O, et al. Epidemiology and outcomes of Achilles tendon ruptures in the National Football League. Presented at American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 73rd Annual Meeting, Chicago, March 2006.

4. Bhandari M, Guyatt GH, Siddiqui F, et al. Treatment of acute Achilles tendon ruptures: a systematic overview and metaanalysis. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2002;(400):190-200.

5. Khan RJ, Fick D, Brammar TJ, et al. Interventions for treating acute Achilles tendon ruptures. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2004;(3):CD003674.

6. Mandelbaum BR, Myerson MS, Forster R. Achilles tendon ruptures: A new method of repair, early range of motion, and functional rehabilitation. Am J Sports Med 1995;23(4):392-395.

7. Cetti R, Christensen SE, Ejsted R, et al. Operative versus nonoperative treatment of Achilles tendon rupture: a prospective randomized study and review of the literature. Am J Sports Med 1993;21(6):791-799.

8. Fujikawa A, Kyoto Y, Kawaguchi M, et al. Achilles tendon after percutaneous surgical repair: serial MRI observation of uncomplicated healing. Am J Roentgenol 2007;189(5):1169-1174.

9. Gerdes MH, Brown TD, Bell AL, et al. A flap augmentation technique for Achilles tendon repair. Postoperative strength and functional outcome. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1992;(280):241-246.

10. Halasi T, Tállay A, Berkes I. Percutaneous Achilles tendon repair with and without endoscopic control. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2003;11(6):409-414.

11. Lansdaal JR, Goslings JC, Reichart M, et al. The results of 163 Achilles tendon ruptures treated by a minimally invasive surgical technique and functional aftertreatment. Injury 2007;38(7):839-844.

12. Möller M, Movin T, Granhed H, et al. Acute rupture of tendon Achillis: A prospective randomised study of comparison between surgical and non-surgical treatment. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2001;83(6):843-848.

13. Schepsis AA, Leach RE. Surgical management of Achilles tendinitis. Am J Sports Med 1987;15(4):308-315.

14. Soldatis JJ, Goodfellow DB, Wilber JH. End-to-end operative repair of Achilles tendon rupture. Am J Sports Med 1997;25(1):90-95.

15. Jozsa L, Kvist M, Balint BJ, et al. The role of recreational sport activity in Achilles tendon rupture. A clinical, pathoanatomical, and sociological study of 292 cases. Am J Sports Med 1989;17(3):338-343.

16. Shelbourne KD, Nitz P. Accelerated rehabilitation after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Am J Sports Med 1990;18(3):292-299.

17. Beynnon BD, Uh BS, Johnson RJ, et al. Rehabilitation after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. A prospective, randomized, double-blind comparison of programs administered over 2 different time intervals. Am J Sports Med 2005 33(3):347-359.

18. Kangas J, Pajala A, Ohtonen P, Leppilahti J. Achilles tendon elongation after rupture repair: a randomized comparison of 2 postoperative regimens. Am J Sports Med 2007;35(1):59-64.

19. Costa ML, MacMillan K, Halliday D, et al. Randomised controlled trials of immediate weight-bearing mobilisation for rupture of the tendo Achillis. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2006;88(1):69-77.

20. Suchak AA, Bostick GP, Beaupre LA, et al. The influence of early weight-bearing compared with non-weightbearing after surgical repair of the Achilles tendon. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2008;90:1876-1883.

21. Mortensen MHM, Skov O, Jensen PE. Early Motion of the ankle after operative treatment of a rupture of the Achilles tendon. A prospective randomized clinical and radiographic study. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1999;81:983-90.

22. Suchak AA, Spooner C, Reid DC, Jomha NM. Postoperative rehabilitation protocols for Achilles tendon ruptures: a meta-analysis. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2006;445:216-221.

23. Kangas J, Pajala A, Siira P, et al. Early functional treatment versus early immobilization in tension of the musculotendinous unit after Achilles rupture repair: A prospective, randomized, clinical study. J Trauma 2003;54(6):1171-81.

24. Paoloni JA, Appleyard RC, Nelson J, Murrell GA. Topical glyceryl trinitrate treatment of chronic noninsertional Achilles tendinopathy. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2004;86(5):916-922.

25. Paoloni JA, Murrell GA. Three-year followup study of topical glyceryl trinitrate treatment of chronic noninsertional Achilles tendinopathy. Foot Ankle Int 2007;28(10):1064-1068.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:31 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Or they simply preferred someone else.

I don't HATE the pick, but I don't like it either, I would have preferred Poyer, Rambo or even Alvin Bailey.

That's just my opinion. Hopefully I'm wrong and Slaughter turns into an all-pro Safety.

No doubt we can all have different opinions, but you can see the negative vibe by some.

The point is the pick was a good pick no matter who we wanted. I wasn't pimping this guy before the draft, but you look at his past and look at how he might project, he is as good as Rambo or anyone else.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:32 PM
I got lambasted for posting that study earlier. The big argument was that the sample was from 1997-2002, and surgical technique has a much higher success rate now.
Posted By: PDR Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:34 PM
Quote:

J/C

Where do you think we'll end up putting him?

Probably special teams.

A platoon-type depth guy with good instincts and versatility is what I'm seeing as I read about him.
Posted By: BpG Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:38 PM
Why is Rambo still on the board?
j/c...

Slaughter, from what I'm hearing, is that guy we all wanted, but simply knew nothing about...

Great hitter, good in run support... Reacts well to plays, both run and pass. Aggressive too.

Sounds like everything Horton was looking for.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:40 PM
People are worried he will do this do the entire team. . .

Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:45 PM
Quote:

Why is Rambo still on the board?

Drugs?

I don't know. He's a decent player but not one I ever thought was great.

At this point we might as well hope he stays on the board and we give him a look in the 7th.
Posted By: AFdawg Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:45 PM
Little Guy That Can Hit!!!!!

Slaughter, measuring just less than 6-feet and weighed at 195 pounds, had 98 tackles in 39 career games at Notre Dame and was regarded as one of the biggest hitters on the roster.
JC......

I'll take Scott as a developmental guy in the 7th...........maybe a kicker to if any are left.
Posted By: MrTed Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:48 PM
Jc

Haven't been able to pay attention too much today cause I'm workin', what happened to our picks in 4 & 5?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:52 PM
I thought we might take a kicker as well, but i doubt it.

Allow Grahm to be the bridge rather than ruin some rookie because he missed a 45 year kick.

Graham can handle it at this point.

It to the point with some our kicker can miss a 66 yard kick and he will get booed off the field, with them convinced Dawson would have made it.
Posted By: PDR Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S_ ND - 04/27/13 08:53 PM
Quote:

Jc

Haven't been able to pay attention too much today cause I'm workin', what happened to our picks in 4 & 5?

Traded them both for future picks.

We have the Steelers 3rd and the Colts 4th next year.
Posted By: BatDawg Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:54 PM
Quote:

I thought we might take a kicker as well, but i doubt it.

Allow Grahm to be the bridge rather than ruin some rookie because he missed a 45 year kick.

Graham can handle it at this point.

It to the point with some our kicker can miss a 66 yard kick and he will get booed off the field, with them convinced Dawson would have made it.

That is one heckuva kick, 45 years? Should be a punter, incredible hang time.
Posted By: bugs Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 08:56 PM
Safety Added in Sixth Round
By Fred Greetham
OBR Senior Browns Reporter
Posted Apr 27, 2013

Quote:

BEREA—The Browns used their first pick of the final day of the draft to take a select. However, it wasn’t until the sixth-round.

After trading out of the fourth round and fifth rounds, the Browns used their pick in the sixth round (175th overall) to take safety Jamoris Slaughter from Notre Dame.

Slaughter (5- 11, 195) ruptured his left Achilles tendon in the third game of the season against Michigan State.

“It’s an excellent pick,” Mike Mayock said on NFL Network. “He’s a player that will play special teams and will compete for a starting position.”

Slaughter had 45 tackles in 2011, including two sacks and a forced fumble in 13 games.

Pro Football Weekly described Slaughter as an ‘explosive striker who relishes high speed collisions’.

He was originally projected to be a third or fourth round pick before suffering the season-ending injury.

Posted By: MrTed Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 09:05 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Jc

Traded them both for future picks.

We have the Steelers 3rd and the Colts 4th next year.

Thanks! Good to hear we gave our arch rivals who are in rebuild mode (however slight it might be) a pick with which to rebuild THIS YEAR.

Heaven help me.
Posted By: bugs Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 09:10 PM
Quote:

Thanks! Good to hear we gave our arch rivals who are in rebuild mode (however slight it might be) a pick with which to rebuild THIS YEAR.

Heaven help me.

MrTed, it's a fourth round! You're acting like we gave them a Lombardi Trophy. You really think this fourth round pick is better than the third round pick Browns get next year?
Posted By: slick Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 09:19 PM
i doubt this guy beats out Gibson.

what really ticks me off is we gave the steelers a safety....and we all know how pretty much whoever they draft becomes a damn good player.....and we helped them.....IDIOTS.....
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 09:21 PM
Quote:

and we all know how pretty much whoever they draft becomes a damn good player

Yeah, like Limas Sweed!
Posted By: MrUniverse Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 09:23 PM
j/c

If the Browns can find a trading partner every year that is willing to give a 3rd round the next year for are 4th I would make this trade every time.

I love the pick of Slaughter just for the name, brings back good memories:D

Using a 6th round on a player that has solid skills but an injury history is ok with me. We needed a safety and got one.

I would have rather traded this pick for a 5th round next year. But I am very happy with this draft.

Posted By: Lemmys_Wart Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 09:27 PM
Quote:

what really ticks me off is we gave the steelers a safety....and we all know how pretty much whoever they draft becomes a damn good player.....and we helped them.....IDIOTS.....

We gave them a 4th, they gave us a third, and OUR guys are somehow the idiots? I swear, some people on this board will complain about absolutely everything. Some fans haven't given this FO a chance before already deeming them worthless. It gets so old real fast.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 09:31 PM
Quote:

Little Guy That Can Hit!!!!!

Slaughter, measuring just less than 6-feet and weighed at 195 pounds, had 98 tackles in 39 career games at Notre Dame and was regarded as one of the biggest hitters on the roster.

This is actually a very good pick if he's healthy and real value in the 6th round, if he can come back at 100%. Special teams and a hybrid player against the mobile QBs, and he can compete with Hagg at FS. I like it, as I'm assuming they did their homework and he's cleared medical.
Posted By: MrTed Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 09:40 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Heaven help me.

MrTed, it's a fourth round! You're acting like we gave them a Lombardi Trophy. You really think this fourth round pick is better than the third round pick Browns get next year?

I know, I'm half joking! But only half mind you! it just seems that other GM's are better at finding gems than we are and we supposedly need so much now.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 10:13 PM
Liked Slaughter last year, Outstanding hips and change of direction. The Browns were bound and determined to find a player recovering from an achilles injury and guess they drafted one. If healthy, it is a steal but I can't think of 1 single player that was ever worth a damn after an achilles injury. Seems like they either blew it out again or just lacked the explosion they had before.

I have more confidence in Lattimore's knee than Slaughters Achilles. I thought the kid had a chance to be a late first before the injury so hopefully he can return to that level of play.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 10:18 PM
Quote:

but I can't think of 1 single player that was ever worth a damn after an achilles injury.

AP, Terrell Suggs come to mind.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 10:36 PM
I thought his was only a partial?
Posted By: Heldawg Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 10:38 PM
Concerning the Steelers and Shamarko Thomas, SS

I thought he was a carbon copy of TJ Ward.

He's rocked up. He has explosive straight line speed. He has awful ball skills and can get lost in coverage. Should be a demon on special teams.

As long as he doesn't turn into our version of Bernard Karmell Pollard I'm ok with the trade.

If he does then seriously man we asked for it.
I have also read that Thomas has had concussion issues. That's kinda scary when a kid is coming into the league and already has had multiple, multiple concussions.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 10:41 PM
I honestly don't know, they just immediately came to mind when you posted that.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 11:11 PM
Peterson was ACL/MCL, not Achilles
Posted By: BatDawg Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 11:15 PM

Dan Marino completely tore his achilles. Granted QB vs DB, but he had to plant and throw after, and did quite well after.

Posted By: Damanshot Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 11:23 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for stating the obvious.

Now if you can tell me why, which is what I was asking, that'd help me out.

In all fairness, he did say "obviously" LOL
Posted By: jfanent Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/27/13 11:24 PM
You are correct.
Quote:

Will you just stop? You have done nothing but bad-mouth this FO since they took over. You don't even follow the draft. I knew you were going to bad mouth every pick they made and you have.

You really think trading a 4th round pick for a 3rd round pick makes them "IDIOTS?"

Slaughter is a gamble due to his injury, but in the 6th round, I would rather take a gamble on a guy than draft some talentless guy who will never make the team.

I wonder if this guy has the skills to eventually play FS? I really don't know much about him, except for what both the NFL Network and ESPN guys were saying. Both were positive. We'll see.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/28/13 04:35 AM
Slaughter will be the NFL version of Tyler Moeller when he was at OSU. Hortons gonna love what this kid brings to the table as a rotational guy. He can't ever be a starter because he's too flawed, but he will contribute in more areas then one.
Posted By: MADAWG30 Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/28/13 05:28 PM
Quote:

Quote:

We gave them a 4th, they gave us a third, and OUR guys are somehow the idiots? I swear, some people on this board will complain about absolutely everything. Some fans haven't given this FO a chance before already deeming them worthless. It gets so old real fast.

+1
Posted By: MADAWG30 Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/28/13 05:44 PM
Quote:

YEP, just like:
Mark Malone 1st round
Rashard Mendenhall (I will miss his fumbles) 1st round
Limas Sweed 2nd round
Walter Abercrombie 1st round
Thaddeus Gibson 4th round
Kraig Urbik 3rd round
Anthony Smith 3rd round
Willie Reid 3rd round
Ricardo Colclough 2nd round
Alonzo Jackson 2nd round
Troy Edwards 1st round
Scott Shields 2nd round
Chad Scott 1st round
Will Blackwell 2nd round
Jamain Stephens 1st round
Huey Richardson 1st round
Tim Worley 1st round
Tom Ricketts 1st round

I can go on and on....Every team has their bad picks...
Posted By: norm67 Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/28/13 05:52 PM
Slaughter was a terrible pick at best. But this is what Lomabardi is known for making terrible draft picks. To the PUP list this guy goes. It would have been better just to pass on the pick completely.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/28/13 05:56 PM
Quote:

Slaughter was a terrible pick at best. But this is what Lomabardi is known for making terrible draft picks. To the PUP list this guy goes. It would have been better just to pass on the pick completely.

So do you use your time machine alot or just to go and see players in the future ...
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/28/13 10:53 PM
I hope this guy can get healthy. He had a pretty decent game against Florida State.

http://draftbreakdown.com/jamoris-slaughter-vs-florida-state-2011
He was absolutely impressive attacking the LOS, that's for sure.
Posted By: lionchamp29 Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/30/13 04:39 AM
sounds like hughes....the 15th best dt and we get him at like 4th or 5th...

we do have the same scouts!
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/30/13 12:50 PM
A couple of days ago, when I first looked at this thread, I thought to myself, this seems a lot like the John Hughes discussions after last years draft. I have a lot of last years games saved on my DVR so I've been rewatching some of them. John Hughes made plays for this team.

Slaughter, don't know much about him. I don't watch a lot of ND football and of course he was hurt early last season. What little tape I've seen of the kid says he's a player, he's aggressive and versatile. Just hope he fully recovers from the injury. If so this guy has the skills to contribute early and develop into a starter.
Quote:

sounds like hughes....the 15th best dt and we get him at like 4th or 5th...

we do have the same scouts!

hmmm, you are newer, so I cannot tell if you are being sarcastic or not here. you do realize that Hughes played well last year and justified his draft slot, right?
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/30/13 01:18 PM
Spaking of tape, here's his 2011 game vs FSU and EJ Manuel and 2012 game vs Purdue

http://www.youtube.com/v/NY20FZgQSks

http://www.youtube.com/v/laILCebyWMI

My take:

Positives:

- versatile. Lined up everywhere: deep FS, in the slot and at the LOS as an OLB
- good blitzer. he was a freelancer at ND and he blitzed often, sounds like a good fit in Horton's scheme
- smart player, reading the QBs eyes. Very impressed with one play in the FSU game where he blitzed up the middle, realized that it's blocked and then turned around to cover a player underneath
- in the 2012 game he was lined up deep more often than 2011

Negatives:

- not a sound tackler. More of a "launcher" than secure wrap up tackler. Will get him injured
- struggles with COD in man coverage, but that's the norm with S

Overall I liked what I saw and his tape was as good if not better than some of those mid round S
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/30/13 01:35 PM
The main concern for me here is that we don't know what player we're getting. History shows that players coming back from a torn achilles are not the same guy they were before the injury. Is he even going to play this season?
Posted By: eotab Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/30/13 01:50 PM
Keep in mind there are different types of Tears (Ruptures) of the Achilles Tendon...complete? Lower or Higher...Lower it balls up - Higher it remains in place n doesn't have that rubber band effect. Also when did the kid have the injury...we examined him medically to see how the injury was healing n seemed pleased.

But again...NO RISK, this team will not be held back by missing a 6th round pick that does not become a starter. Key to our draft will be Mingo n McFadden - The rest are bonus babies if they can 1st make our roster - best chance is Special Teams - Progress as prospects to compete for depth and/or Starting positions. All Bonus.

Obviously the kid was this late in the draft due to the Injury...it heals we got a real good football player as opposed to most late rounds kids.

JMHO
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/30/13 01:53 PM
Quote:

The main concern for me here is that we don't know what player we're getting. History shows that players coming back from a torn achilles are not the same guy they were before the injury. Is he even going to play this season?

I understand your concern. We just have to trust the medical team cleared him enough to make us feel any risk was outweighed by the potential reward.

You weigh the risk and make a call. Now we can all cross our fingers.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/30/13 02:18 PM
Quote:

we examined him medically to see how the injury was healing n seemed pleased.

But did we? Slaughter's conference call says he had no contact with the Browns before the draft and expected to go undrafted because of his injury. *(then later he said he was called by the browns about two weeks before the draft.)

He also said he can run/sprint and "do back drills" but is still working to "get {his} power and explosion back." In the study that I linked (and that jf had previously posted here) that's what rarely returns to pre-injury levels.

I'm pulling for the guy, but my expectations are tempered.

*edit - He was a combine invitee, so maybe the doctors there were able to provide a report on him*
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/30/13 02:23 PM
A bit of a concern no doubt.

I don't know how it works, but could it be we did review his medical history without having contact with him?

It's my understand the meds are out there for teams to review. It's not like the player is packing them under his arm when he shows up for an interview.

Or is it?
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/30/13 02:32 PM
It was my understanding that when you have a player in for a visit, if there is a medical question your doctors will check him out.
Posted By: eotab Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/30/13 02:47 PM
Key there clevesteve was he was a combine invitee. The testing is done there maybe one of the biggest keys of the combine. So that 32 teams don't go through the testing needed its done at one venue.

Report... welcome to the 21st century...every thing is put on a disc n passed on to teams - MRI's among several tests. We put that disc in a computer n let our Doctors make their own in depth report on the injury. We don't need to bring him here n take our own MRI's which will tell them most of what they need to do.

Understand its a tough injury. He's young, Medical advancements. I remember when Microfracture surgery was a 100% career ending procedure...then after 5-10years the success rate was 180 degrees in the results. Junior Miller days are over 10 years ago.

But as mentioned...6th round is not much of a risk. really hope the kid makes it
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 04/30/13 02:48 PM
Sure. I understand that.

It is my understand the meds are made available to all the teams who wish to see them. If our Doc's reviewed the findings by the Doc's who preformed the surgery, etc, and are comfortable with the finding, maybe we decided not to tip the pick by bringing him in....

I guess we'll find out in a couple of months. If he ends up on the PUP, we'll know he wasn't ready.
Posted By: MrUniverse Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 05/03/13 02:17 AM
J/C

Its all about risk vrs reward, the risk is minimal 6th round the reward could be a versatile player. You look for your special teams studs in the 6th and 7th round or you take that chance on a player who dropped in rounds due to injury.

Quote:

J/C

Its all about risk vrs reward, the risk is minimal 6th round the reward could be a versatile player. You look for your special teams studs in the 6th and 7th round or you take that chance on a player who dropped in rounds due to injury..

This.
Posted By: Arps Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 05/03/13 11:57 AM
Quote:

J/C

Its all about risk vrs reward, the risk is minimal 6th round the reward could be a versatile player. You look for your special teams studs in the 6th and 7th round or you take that chance on a player who dropped in rounds due to injury.

+1
He was good when he was healthy. If he comes back from this we got a steal. You have to gamble from time to time to get good.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 05/03/13 05:14 PM
LINK

Jamoris Slaughter dealing well with recovery from Achilles injury; plans to deliver big hits for Cleveland Browns

By Ryan Lewis
Beacon Journal sports writer

Published: May 2, 2013 - 11:33 PM

Jamoris Slaughter was dealt a bad hand in 2012.

Notre Dame went on a historical run — 12-0 in the regular season, one of the best years for the Irish in quite some time — and earned a chance to play in the BCS National Championship Game.

But Slaughter, Notre Dame’s free safety and a sixth-round pick of the Browns in last week’s NFL Draft, missed almost all of it after tearing his Achilles’ tendon in the third game of the season.

“It was tough to deal with just for the simple fact that we were coming back to glory,” Slaughter said. “I kind of felt like I wasn’t a part of it even though I was. But deep down I want to be out on the field every play with my teammates. It was a humbling process. It taught me a lot about myself.”

Slaughter’s coaches learned a thing or two about him through that time, too. Chuck Martin, who was Slaughter’s position coach at Notre Dame before moving to the offensive side of the ball prior to the 2012 season, admired how he dealt with being delivered such a tough circumstance.

“He’s such a first-class individual,” Martin said. “He was such a major part of our team coming off such an unbelievable junior year. He just went down with a freak injury. It’s how his mother raised him, to be such a positive kid. He saw it as a bump in the road and he’d come back stronger. He kept leading. He’s a pretty amazing leader.”

Bob Elliot was the safeties coach last season, his first with Notre Dame.

“It was really tough for him but he handled it like a champion,” Elliot said. “Jamoris was in every meeting, he watched every bit of film, he was at every practice. That’s a hard thing to do. He’s so mature and so far beyond his years.”

Slaughter and his coaches all admitted to being a little relieved that he was drafted at all, finally taken by the Browns in the sixth round with the No. 175 overall selection. Although he might have carried a grade before the draft warranting a late second day or early third-day selection, recovering from such a major injury might have left him off of teams’ draft boards altogether.

Slaughter says his rehab is coming along fine.

“I’m about 90 percent right now,” he said in a conference call with reporters on Saturday. “I’m able to do sprinting and cutting and I’ve been doing back drills. ... The main thing for me now is getting my power and explosion back.”

That explosiveness, when Slaughter’s been healthy, might be his best attribute. Known to have a knack for the big hit, Slaughter carries himself like a sledgehammer from his free safety spot.

“He’s a bundle of explosiveness and loves contact,” Martin said. “In his recruitment out of high school, he was ferocious. ... But he’s a solid tackler. He wasn’t trying to carelessly knock people out. The big hits came when he had them lined up and he could unload on them. I’ve been around all-or-nothing guys, that’s not him.”

Slaughter’s had a reputation for knocking people senseless for a long time, to the point that his name fits his playing style pretty precisely.

“I think it started when I started playing park ball, when I was in the little leagues,” he said. “I was always the skinny kid and I was just known for being a skinny kid that could hit. I was always like the first person to knock the quarterback’s helmet off in the 90-pound league and I kind of got that reputation when I was young.

“I think I just have a laid-back, cool, collective side to me. But on the field, it’s kind of like I can be my alter ego and be another person and I just kind of feel like a warrior out on the field.”

Slaughter figures to play free safety for the Browns opposite strong safety T.J. Ward. Should he be healthy enough, he has a chance to compete for a starting spot with Tashaun Gipson but will probably get more time on special teams early in the season.

At Notre Dame, he served in a couple of different capacities. Slaughter often started at safety, but at times moved down almost as a nickel cornerback to cover slot receivers 1-on-1. He also played some snaps at what was a cross between a defensive back and an outside linebacker position.

Although Slaughter had the body and athleticism to make such a transition, it was his football intelligence that really allowed him to be moved around.

“He’s really cerebral, really smart,” Martin said. “The game came very easily to him mentally. A lot of guys have the athleticism to play different spots. But usually they play worse because they’re worrying about one or the other. Jamoris, it didn’t matter where we put him. He could bounce around and still play at a high level.”

Elliot compared Slaughter’s football IQ to that of Harrison Smith, a first-round pick of the Minnesota Vikings in last year’s draft.

“He’s as smart as can be, like Harrison Smith was,” Elliot said. “He can control the secondary and make adjustments on the run. That position requires a lot of checks to be made.”

Tearing an Achilles’ tendon isn’t an adjustment Slaughter, or anyone, was able to make. That one, he had to wait out, and it cost him a chance at a BCS title run. Should his history indicate anything, it’s that he’ll figure out a way to overcome it. And then hammer a receiver across the middle.
Posted By: brownsdog Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 05/04/13 01:13 AM
Nice read, thanks.

Really hope he can come back 100%

This would be great for us if he can.
Posted By: E.Ryze19 Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 05/04/13 02:01 AM
I really believe that if this kid returns to form, he can be the FS we have lacked for years He is a big hitter but tackles well. He also can cover. Plus he is not 5'9''.

He could end up being a real steal in the 6th round. Imagine having two safeties that love to lower the boom. I think i'm drooling
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 05/04/13 02:04 AM
I haven't frequented this thread that much.

Who would be our free safety should Slaughter not be ready . . . ?
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 05/04/13 02:07 AM
Quote:

I haven't frequented this thread that much.

Who would be our free safety should Slaughter not be ready . . . ?

GIPSON ...
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 05/04/13 02:08 AM
Probably second year player, Tashaun Gipson.
Posted By: E.Ryze19 Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 05/04/13 02:17 AM
I believe Hagg is still here too. I wouldn't toss him away quite yet.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 05/04/13 02:39 AM
Ya know, I wanted to say something similar myself. But didn't feel like enduring a bunch of dismissive replies about Hagg deserving to be cut or what have you. I think he'll play better this year. Actually, when I look at some DVR'd games I've saved he looked better after losing the starting job and just coming in as a situational player.
Posted By: E.Ryze19 Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 05/04/13 03:46 AM
Yeah but most judge him from seeing him get beat deep in one game and the mantra started that he sucks. Many who discard him wanted us to get a FA DB with about the same experience and results,only to claim that all DBs struggle their rookie years and make a big jump after that.........well except any first year DB on the Browns.

I think guys like Hagg and Wade will make a jump, as will guys like Bademosi. No one knows at this point, but I have to believe that the staff saw something in their play.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 05/04/13 04:17 AM
Quote:

Spaking of tape, here's his 2011 game vs FSU and EJ Manuel and 2012 game vs Purdue

http://www.youtube.com/v/NY20FZgQSks

http://www.youtube.com/v/laILCebyWMI

My take:

Positives:

- versatile. Lined up everywhere: deep FS, in the slot and at the LOS as an OLB
- good blitzer. he was a freelancer at ND and he blitzed often, sounds like a good fit in Horton's scheme
- smart player, reading the QBs eyes. Very impressed with one play in the FSU game where he blitzed up the middle, realized that it's blocked and then turned around to cover a player underneath
- in the 2012 game he was lined up deep more often than 2011

Negatives:

- not a sound tackler. More of a "launcher" than secure wrap up tackler. Will get him injured
- struggles with COD in man coverage, but that's the norm with S

Overall I liked what I saw and his tape was as good if not better than some of those mid round S

Agree with you.

I hope we just "red shirt" him and allow him to recover and understand the system. Getting a versatile depth guy that plays special teams is all you can ask for.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 05/04/13 10:15 AM
A boom or bust 6th rounder. What's better than that? Those are exactly the guys I want to select in the 6th and 7th rounds.

If you can pull a solid starter out of those rounds every 4-5 years, you are doing a great job IMO.
Posted By: eotab Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 05/04/13 01:24 PM
What I like Peen is it all depends on his injury healing "ALL" meaning Boom or Bust. All medical reports have that being so. I have never heard he won't be ready for camp just that he will contribute early on for Special Teams n hopes to win the FS position later.

Gipson is the penciled in starter...I was very impressed n he was a UDFA when he got his opportunities last season.

guarddog - Hagg looked to me as a very slow player in his early starts. I thought he was done....when he did come back n contributed with opportunities late in the season I was shocked how fast he played...comfort is such a big thing for these young players knowing their trade rather than learning their trade. Big difference on the field.

The more I learn of this kid...w/o his injury he might have even snuck into the first round??? it heals 100% we got a steal...bought time things start to fall our way...odd n percentages are way in our favor
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 05/04/13 02:16 PM
First impressions are hard for fans to shake, E.Ryze. look at the prevailing opinion on Hardesty.
Posted By: bugs Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 05/04/13 03:00 PM
j/c

I watched an early season ND game in 2011. I believe it Purdue. This game stuck out simply on Slaughter's play. The kid was all over the place. As many have stated, I believe this kid has a huge upside.

The thing that intrigues me most is he is known as a thumper! Him and Ward can make life miserable for receivers coming over the middle. Hopefully Slaughter does not lose much speed. Otherwise, this group of DB's McFadden, Hayden, Ward, and Slaughter can be a real interesting bunch. Adding Skrine in the slot is a lot of speed in the secondary.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 05/04/13 05:59 PM
The thing that just leaps out with slaughter is how effective he is at changing his direction due to sensational hips and body control. Similar to Robertson, he is credited with many missed tackles that honestly, he should not have been involved in.

He was often coming at a bad angle and it was a terrific job just to get in on the play. Now I would prefer he learned to wrap and roll instead of the constant dipping the shoulder trying to land the big hit. Frankly tackling is a lost art.

I would never draft or sign a player with an Achilles injury but I can understand their decision to do so. No real risk but some big reward with a 6th rounder that probably would have been a borderline late first to mid 2nd type player.
Posted By: E.Ryze19 Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 05/05/13 02:33 AM
Quote:

First impressions are hard for fans to shake, E.Ryze. look at the prevailing opinion on Hardesty.

I have to say, I think Hardesty is going to be a good player.He showed that last year. If he doesn't stick here, I think he could bring a nice trade in the future. But, if I had my way, he and Trent make a killer backfield.
Posted By: DaaaBrowns Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 05/09/13 02:49 PM
I'm hoping this dude comes on strong. The only safety we've had since the Browns came back that could be called a 'ball hawk' was Earl Little and that was like one good season he had, plus he couldn't tackle a straw man. In a division featuring Troy Palamalu and Ed Reed, it's been difficult seeing the crap we've thrown out there the last decade plus. Safety is by far the position I'm most concerned with, nothing but UDFA, 6th and 7th rounders competing for that spot at free safety. Yuck!
I would have much rather taken a risk on somebody with off-field issues, like Bacarri Rambo! Taking someone like that is much less of a risk than taking someone who may never physically be the same player because of injury.

Not to mention Rambo was a much better player to begin with. Nobody even knew who this Slaughter dude was. But from what I hear he was a decent player for fingers are crossed!

And can you imagine drafting Barkevious Mingo and Bacarri Rambo! The all-name team draft.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 05/16/13 06:04 PM
The ND I go to was just like this one with their opinions about Slaughter .... some thought he wasn't very good at all and others thought he should be a late 1st or early 2nd rounder ...

Personally I didn't think he would get drafted BUT if he did get drafted he would have to be in a system that takes advantage of his versatility cause that's the strongest part of his game ... and since that's how were going to use him ... it makes sense ...

personally I don't see him working out .... but I was one of the ones that didn't think he was all that ,..... most of that came from the fact he is a pee poor tackler .... and its not like our coaches didn't teach tackling and teach them well ... until the Bama game we were by far the most sound tackling football team I had seen at any level for the last decade ... were so fundamentally sound when it came to tackling technique .... everyone but Slaughter ... he went for the kill shot instead of the tackle almost every single time ...

hopefully he works out ... but my guess is we won't be a real good football team until he's relegated to a very very small role or not here at all ...
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 05/18/13 12:50 AM
Quote:

... can you imagine drafting Barkevious Mingo and Bacarri Rambo!

B&B!!! Sounds like a drink to me....
Posted By: BatDawg Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 05/21/13 08:14 PM

First signing;

Browns agreed to terms with No. 175 overall pick S Jamoris Slaughter on a four-year contract.
Slaughter missed his entire senior year with a torn Achilles' tendon, and is questionable for training camp. Although the Browns have a hole at free safety, Slaughter should be a strict special teamer as a rookie.

linker
Quote:

First signing;

Browns agreed to terms with No. 175 overall pick S Jamoris Slaughter on a four-year contract.
Slaughter missed his entire senior year with a torn Achilles' tendon, and is questionable for training camp. Although the Browns have a hole at free safety, Slaughter should be a strict special teamer as a rookie.

linker

A four year deal seems long for a 6th rounder with an achilles injury. I will be interested to see the contract numbers. My guess is very little guaranteed, of course.

Hey, if he surprises us, we have him tied up longer than most 6th rounders, I guess.
I haven't stayed as up on the CBA as I used to, but I believe that 4 years is pretty much the standard for all rookie contracts these days.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 05/21/13 08:41 PM
2012's pick 175, Blair Walsh (K) of the Minnesota Vikings signed a 4-year, $2.2 MM contract, with NFL minimum base salaries for each of the years of the deal and a $117,932 signing bonus, which represents all of the guaranteed money. Slaughter's deal is probably similar.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/blair-walsh/
Interesting. Admittedly, I am not up on it either so I'll take your word for it.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 05/21/13 10:39 PM
I wonder if teams are permitted to put different terms in the contract when it comes to players who are drafted/injured? I mean I realize there is injury risk with every player, but would the CBA allow that or does every contract need to be "standard"?
Quote:

2012's pick 175, Blair Walsh (K) of the Minnesota Vikings signed a 4-year, $2.2 MM contract, with NFL minimum base salaries for each of the years of the deal and a $117,932 signing bonus, which represents all of the guaranteed money. Slaughter's deal is probably similar.

I bet it will almost be identical. Thanks for the info.
Quote:

Darn. An opportunity lost to bash the FO.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 05/23/13 01:45 AM
Jamoris Slaughter

Blair Walsh

The question is whether Jamoris Slaughter can be a Pro Bowler like Walsh was.
Hehehe, let's see if he can make the roster first.. then he needs to actually secure a starting job and hold onto it.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 05/23/13 04:21 AM
Lol, that Joe Banner is a real hardass, $3k less signing bonus than Walsh. Maybe because the 175th pick was two picks later into the sixth this year than last due to CLE and NO having no seconds?
Posted By: eotab Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 05/23/13 01:49 PM
Yeah I'm not sure if its part of the new CBA but it use to be the standard was 3 years after the 2nd round. But to your questioning of the length for a 6th rounder as in maybe too much....The length actually benefits us.

1. It is not guaranteed by us.
2. It is guaranteed by the player to stay with us unless they hold out.
3. If the standard is 3 years I see this benefiting us giving us a Red Shirt year for the Achilles to heal 100% then we get the 3 years.

Of course not sure at all of the CBA if its 4 years standard that is a wow in concessions to the Owners, delaying the 2nd contract by a year.

It previously was Standard 5 years for the First round if 6 the sixth was optional???
Standard 4 years for the 2nd round. Standard 3 years for rounds 3-7???

No idea of the new CBA...any well informed dawg have a link like we use to???
I agree, I think the length can benefit us if he ends up working out. But that can say that about any 6th rounder, really. They're all under the same parameters contractually of the guaranteed money portion. But I think the general consensus is that if this guy didn't have such a devastating injury, he would have been drafted a few rounds higher. So, if he does work out, the length aid us yet again.

The red shirt concept you mention makes a ton us sense to, EO. Obviously with his injury last year and unknowns going into TC. I thought there was something that said he may not even be ready then.
Quote:

A four year deal seems long for a 6th rounder with an achilles injury. I will be interested to see the contract numbers.

then later

Quote:

I agree, I think the length can benefit us if he ends up working out. But that can say that about any 6th rounder, really. They're all under the same parameters contractually of the guaranteed money portion.

Definition of a man talking w/a forked tongue.
Most of the later round pick have ridiculously low guaranteed numbers. A 4 year deal can only help the team .... because they get a chance to develop a kid, and if they don't see progress, they can dump him pretty much anytime they want/need to do so. He got a whopping $114,224 signing bonus .... which really is nothing in the larger scheme of things in NFL salary caps.
Posted By: eotab Re: Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND - 05/24/13 12:55 PM
Vers...in defense of Memphis...he stated his negative n then I guess made some Logical explanations that turned his opinion around some what. Don't know if that makes any difference thought I'd bring it to light.
© DawgTalkers.net