DawgTalkers.net
Bills say Jarvis Landry's block was 'dirty,' should have been penalized

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24418...r-jarvis-landry

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Veteran defensive players for the Buffalo Bills spoke out Sunday against a block Cleveland Browns wide receiver Jarvis Landry made against Bills rookie cornerback Taron Johnson that was not penalized in Friday's preseason game.

Meanwhile, Johnson put blame on himself for not being aggressive enough on the 4-yard touchdown run by Cleveland running back Carlos Hyde in the first quarter. Johnson, a fourth-round pick from Weber State, said Landry later apologized to him.

Johnson was slow to get up after being blocked by Landry, who came from the outside part of the field and lowered his shoulder into the area of Johnson's head as the rookie cornerback pursued Hyde toward the sideline. Johnson walked off the field with athletic trainers but later returned to the game.

"Landry, he's a good receiver, physical guy, but some of those plays that he has -- Aaron Williams, Taron, I'm pretty sure he has other ones -- I just think they're dirty," Bills linebacker Lorenzo Alexander said Sunday. "Coming from the outside of the box in, the league needs to do a better job of calling penalties on those types of plays. Obviously, defenders get called all the time on stuff that is probably less egregious than that. If we're going to protect our football players, we need to protect everybody, not just offensive guys.

"It was dirty at the end of the day, and that's how I feel about it."

Williams, a former safety for the Bills, suffered head and neck injuries on an illegal crackback block by Landry during a game in October 2016. Landry, then a member of the Miami Dolphins, was penalized for the play and fined $24,309. He later apologized to Williams, who did not play again before announcing his retirement in January.

Alexander, who is entering his 14th NFL season and is a member of the NFL Players Association's executive committee, called for rule changes to penalize more offensive players for dangerous plays.

"I don't go lobbying or calling the NFL up," Alexander said. "They need to go look at it like they do everybody else and make the right ruling on something like that. They talk about player safety, but for me, in my mind, it's err on caution of offensive guys, not defensive players. The margin needs to get a lot closer. You see it all the time. Whether it's that, the helmet rule, the running back lowering his head, getting cut, whatever it may be, but when a defensive player comes in, head up and trying to tackle a guy, [it's a] 15-yard [penalty], and he's a dirty player.

"So it needs to be held accountable on both sides of the ball, and Landry has been a guy who has been known to do this stuff on a consistent basis."

ohnson said Sunday that he should have "triggered faster" on the play.

"I just got to be more aggressive on that play. That's the main thing," Johnson said. "It's still football, at the end of the day. So stuff like that happens sometimes. I have no animosity toward him at all."

Bills sixth-year safety Micah Hyde also criticized Landry for the block.

"That's ridiculous," Hyde said Sunday. "Because if a defensive player does that to an offensive player, he's getting ejected. I don't care if he lowered his shoulder or not. He's coming all the way from No. 1, past the numbers and flying down onto the hashes and cleaning up somebody. That's the same as that play that Aaron Williams got hit on a couple years back and basically ruined his career.

"To me, that's B.S. You can't do that. All you have to do is get into position, screen him off. He doesn't have to come in and try to kill anybody."

Landry said before Sunday's practice in Berea, Ohio, that he takes pride in his blocking.

"I pride myself on being a complete receiver, and it takes those types of plays, making those types of blocks, or just a block period, to make sure Carlos could get in or Duke [Johnson], whoever's running the ball, or another receiver. It's important," he said.

Hyde also expressed frustration about NFL rule changes that he perceives to unfairly target defensive players. Hyde characterized the NFL's new helmet rule as an "automatic flag" against the defensive player when he "ducks his head" to tackle.

"These flags that are just being thrown," Hyde said. "It's a violent sport. We all understand that. We all signed up for it. I understand trying to make it safer, but they're doing a little bit too much with the head-to-head. I understand, going into tackle, get your head of the hit. But there's some circumstances where it just happens. It just really does. It doesn't even need to be a big hit. But it's helmet-to-helmet, and it's tough. It's all on the defensive players.

"There's going to continue to be head-to-head contact. We're wearing helmets for a reason. If they don't want head-to-head, put the leather ones back on and put flags on. It's going to happen. I'm not saying that it's OK. They're trying to make the game safer, I'm cool with that. I'm not putting it on the referees. I stand by the referees. But at the same time, I think the league might now be doing a little bit too much."
He was channeling his inner Suh.
He's right, he could have screened him and it probably would have been just as effective. If they want to make the game more like basketball, then change the rule so that it's not "blocking" anymore, it's "screening" and if the offensive player has position, the defensive guy can't run into you..

If not, there was nothing wrong with the block as far as I'm concerned. He didn't go low, he didn't go to his head, he just put his shoulder into a guy that was focused on something else... the ball... and he blocked him.
I saw a clean, hard stick.
Nothing illegal.
Nothing unethical.
I think it was cheap. I wouldn't call it "dirty". Dirty to me implies trying to hurt the guy (like Suh or Harrison). This was more like Hines Ward always used to do. Not quite clean, but not awful either.

The fact that Landry apologized though shows that he thought it wasn't clean himself either, and it's not his first incident. I would hope in the future he considers going a bit lower on the hit.
it was probably avoidable to block him so violently .. not sure it was illegal and/or dirty

probably right on the line IMO
I’m sure Vice Grips APOLOGIZED for absolutely NO REASON at all ... rolleyes

Man apologized for a reason ... yet some still feel the need to defend him ... sounds LOGICAL to me ... thumbsdown ...

Just cause its legal doesn’t mean its not dangerous or wrong ...

In the live action its easy to make a block like that and I don’t believe Landry did it to be dirty or he wouldn’t have APLOGIZED to BOTH players ...

CRACK BACK blocks are dangerous ... EXTREMELY DANGEROUS ...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE vice grips ... hopefully this don’t happen again weather it’s LEGAL or ILLEGAL ... its called PLAYER SAFETY fella’s ..

And if the roles were reversed ... u same dawgs would be FLIPPING THE F OUT and you’d be calling the culprit the dirtiest player since Lester Hayes .. thumbsup

Dirty? NO WAY.

Violent? Oh yeah.

Necessary? Nah. Dude was nowhere near the play.

Tell you one thing though. When that gets shown on tape in meetings, EVERY WR in that room is gonna see how it's done when the ball didn't come your way.

BLOCK.
Lets just cut to the chase...make them wear Langerie if we are going to wussify this great game. He had a job to do and did it. Boo Hoo, reminds me of some posters on this board. rofl
Welcome to the new NFL.

I remember a time when James Harrison decapitated Colt McCoy and lots of people in the NFL were saying the NFL was soft for calling it.

Now a solid crackback is dirty. Please, the play was completely fine.
What Conrad Dobler did when he used to go after DLman’s knees wasn’t illegal either ... but it sure as all was DIRTY and DANGEROUS ...

U know what ... heck with this ..

NOT SPECIFICALY U ... but some of u guys are BRUTAL ...

On the streets what he did is akin to sucker punching someone ... its shooting a man in the back ... same thing ... if u do it on purpose your a COWARD ...

U applaud it cause its a BIG HIT ... ya ... a BIG HIT on a BLINDMAN ... u gotta take some one out like that when he has no idea ITS COMING WHEN U COULD HAVE JUST BLOCKED THEM ...

Its BS ... its DANGEROUS ... Vice Grips APOLOGIZED ...

I don’t know any men that apologize when they didnt do anything wrong ... hell most of the guys i know wont apologize when they know there wrong ... *L* ...

CRACKBACK blocks are vulnerable and VICE GRIPS best watch it ... WR’s are way more vulnerable than DB’s are to crackback blocks ... if he gets that rep ... payback could be a real beatch in this case ...
Bless 'em.
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Bless 'em.

rofl ...
It's a poor decision on Landry's part to use that type of force, especially since he's a repeat offender with the Bills. The DB wasn't going to make a play but should have been blocked regardless, that doesn't mean he had to destroy the guy.

#1 - A penalty could have been called, nullifying a TD
#2 - He could have gotten himself hurt
#3 - He could have injured the player, like he did once before (which ended a guys career)
#4 - It was the preseason. I know, if you don't go 100% on every play, you open yourself up for you own injury and/or the coaches will blast you in the film room for taking it easy, but damn, it's not a real game.

This CTE and "leading with the helmet" stuff isn't going away. The league isn't getting softer, they're trying to protect their golden goose. While viewership is doing fine, participation in youth football is down all over the country. That will affect ratings later on. You think the 1980's NFL could exist forever? Go ask boxing fans how their sport is doing. The league has to protect its future (and investments - the players).
Originally Posted By: eotab
Lets just cut to the chase...make them wear Langerie if we are going to wussify this great game. He had a job to do and did it. Boo Hoo, reminds me of some posters on this board. rofl

I know a couple of you just like that.
Idiotic block, love Jarvis but he has some bonehead decisions.

Could have hurt himself, and could have hurt the other guy.

I hate idiotic players....
It's the NFL. It's all blocking and tackling. Players are going to hit hard and get hit hard. Can't always be perfectly clean because the sport is fast and violent.
Originally Posted By: rastanplan

This.

Taunting call in 1st preseason game. This block which could have been a penalty, nullifying a TD. A OPI call in this game as well.
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

This.

Taunting call in 1st preseason game. This block which could have been a penalty, nullifying a TD. A OPI call in this game as well.

He could have been hurt on that play, way worst than the call...He shouldn't do that, put himself at risk.

The fight on practice also does no help...

I love him has a receiver, but man....never expected this kind of behavior... hope he calms down.
What bout that block could have made it a penalty? There'a difference between a vicious block and an illegal one.
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
What bout that block could have made it a penalty? There'a difference between a vicious block and an illegal one.

The helmet rule. If that's not a penalty, don't know what it is.
That play was so fast that it was hard to be sure, but it looked like a hard block.. Really hard. But I don't see anything that isn't done each week in the NFL....
Quote:
This block which could have been a penalty,

Any "hard hit" could end up being a penalty depending on where the player you are hitting moves too. You can be aiming for a check and he lower his body and you end up hitting his head, penalty....

Its the NFL, the biggest and baddest on the earth are playing this game, don't like the hit - pick up tennis.
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Quote:
This block which could have been a penalty,

Any "hard hit" could end up being a penalty depending on where the player you are hitting moves too. You can be aiming for a check and he lower his body and you end up hitting his head, penalty....

Its the NFL, the biggest and baddest on the earth are playing this game, don't like the hit - pick up tennis.

And what would a normal,safe block take away from the play, may I ask?

Or do you enjoy seeing other human beings in pain, just for the sake of it?

If you want to see a contact sport, lose the helmets, it will be safer for all.

Its not just Landry that is an idiot...
Imo, it was a vicious collision but nothing dirty. Saying that, it's dumb AF seeing the one true weapon we have and should be able to count on throwing his body around like that in preseason...

I love leveler type hits, but yeah...
Just clicking.

OMG, some of you need to take off your skirts and wear some man-pants. it was a shoulder-on-shoulder hit. It was not illegal, nor was it a cheap shot. Is Jarvis just supposed to pull his punches?

Buddy boy on the Bills needs to keep his head on a swivel, this isn't badminton.
I’ll let Vice Grips know to take off his skirt off an man up and quit apologizing ... rolleyes
Quote:
Man apologized for a reason .

Because at one time to block someone out of their socks was what it was about..

Because most WR's don't do their other job anymore besides catching the ball is to block.

The game is getting soft... Freaking block and knock the guy off his feet..I see high school blocks like that all the time.

Quote:
And if the roles were reversed ... u same dawgs would be FLIPPING THE F OUT and you’d be calling the culprit the dirtiest player since Lester Hayes

Man would this team win..I'm tired of losing..I love seeing someone who actually can kick some ass.... Maybe it's time to change the culture of losing by not always changing the Coaching staff...but by actually getting some damn hard hitting players who have an attitude to win..

I guess watching the Steelers keep winning because they hit..is okay to some Dawgs than to actually see some Dawgs play to win... Like other teams do.
As someone who played DE/OLB at the collegiate level, and suffered two concussions in his whole pee wee/ Jr HS/ HS and collegiate career and both were on crackback blocks. It was cheap and it was dirty, but I am not in favor of penalizing or fining for it . I will just say those WRs who did that to me got theres and then some. Let the players police themselves.
That says a lot from someone like you... who played and experienced it. I like your view..right or wrong I agree with what you said. thumbsup
j/c:

First of all, rasta is misinforming people. Landry did not lead w/the head. He lead w/his shoulder. It was a clean hit.

Secondly, do we really know that he apologized to the rookie, Diam? Or, is that what the rook said? I know he apologized for the hit years ago, but are you SURE he apologized for this recent block. And if he did apologize, do we know the context of it? I've had guys hit me hard and say stuff like "Are you okay. Sorry dawg." I've said the same type of things. To be frank, I wasn't sorry and I never expected anyone who lit me up to be sorry either. It's football. Not soccer.

Finally, I know this won't be popular, but when I played back in the 1970s, I used to try and destroy guys whether I was blocking as a RB or playing either Monster back or FS on D. The harder I hit someone, the better I felt. The thing is, most of the dudes I played against and with, felt the same damn way. There is an old football saying.........."keep your head on a swivel." There is a damn good reason for that timeless phrase.

And I wanna add one more thing...........if the NFL was truly serious about protecting their players, they would make them wear those goofy looking helmets. But no, they look stupid and the NFL and broadcasting companies can't have that, so instead, they fake it by making stupid rules that are almost impossible to abide by and officiate.
Great post Vers..We know the same people from the same schools and your right..thats how the game was played..Knock someone on their ass... lol and we didnt get paid for it.

Man the Central Perry McKinley And Massillon games in the day...

ST Thomas Akron and Clveland schools...man bruised fro a damn month after some of those games...

Thanks for a good reply back..just one favor to ask...I would appreciate no shots at any other posters .I think we can do that enough between us...lol

High school football in Ohio Vers...I'm excited
Great post. I would say look at teams like the Steelers and Ravens when they had great defenses. How many of our players did they knock out of games? Cribbs knocked out cold on the field, AB drop kicking our punter in the face. It's a game of physical domination, they hit your so hard you don't want to get back up and keep playing. It's a blood bath in the NFC north, and we won't win unless these dogs have some teeth.
Those were the days, bro. But hey, do me a favor and not reveal where I played. Too many loose canons on here. LOL

On a serious note, I suffered multiple concussions when I was playing. I'm not even sure of how many, but I say 7. It could have been 6. It could have been 8.

And before anyone makes fun of me, I want y'all to think about this..................I suffer from depression. Never had it before the concussions, but I sure had it after. I have no idea if it related to the multiple concussions or if I'm just screwed up. I do know I always happy before I had them. Of course, I was younger, so it could just be coincidental.

I can't claim this as a fact, but I believe having so many concussions have led to my depression issues. I hate bringing this up because I know that there are certain posters on here who will make fun of me in the future for this revelation. And that is going to suck so much!

However, I think this issue is important enough for me to discuss in a public forum because the s..... is real. Do we wanna look cool or do we wanna wear that helmet like the dude from Buffalo years ago that looked like a dunce cap? If people truly want to solve the issues that come w/concussions, they are going to have to make better changes than to simply make stupid rules that are impossible to abide by and fairly enforce.

Let me just expand on that last point for a moment. I only played high school and collegiate ball. And in an era where the guys were not as fast or as big. But man, the game happens fast. You are going to get drilled. You might not want to lead w/your head, but s... happens so freaking fast. Life on the football field doesn't transpire like it does in slow motion from multiple angles during replay on TV. It's bang-bang, man!

When the NFL wants to get serious about this topic............let me know. Until then..........I think these rule changes are a freaking joke! I've lived it!
I guess this might sound weird but I think they need softer helmets instead of heavier and stronger. If they wanna change how they tackle then take the head out completly and be done done with it. Softer padding on the shoulder as well will help take out the missile that all this padding turns the player into. . This won't stop concussions but I feel it will diminish it.
Again just a thought.
I’m STUNNED your OK with this hit ...

U played and coached the game ...

I could care less if he led with this helmet or his shoulder ...

Its a DIRTY, DANGEROUS HIT ...

i Didn’t hear him apologize .... not sure why the rook would lie about it or why if he did Vice Grips wouldn’t have denied it by now .... but whatever Vers .. thats an AWFULLY WOBBLY leg to be standing on anyhow ... if thats your best retort ... your basically retortless ...

U can stick to your flimsy ass question about if I know for sure if Vice Grips apologized ... and i’ll Stick with the word of the rook and no denial from Vice Grips that he did apologize ... i’m On much firmer ground ....

I’m really shocked so many are defending this ... BLOCKING is a good thing ... CRACKBACKS are blocking someone NOT LOOKING .... there was no need for Vice Grips to BLINDSIDE a dude and END HIS CAREER .... guess your OK with hits on people that have no clue there coming and that end there career ...

I’m shocked ...

We’ll all just have to agree to disagree ... im not coming back ... it makes me sad to see so many defending this cowardly act as a block ... theres no need to DESTROY the guy your about to BLINDSIDE!!!!!! .... NONE ...

Later dawgs .... thumbsup
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Those were the days, bro. But hey, do me a favor and not reveal where I played. Too many loose canons on here. LOL

Well it wasnt Mckinley so it doesnt even matter

(J/K)
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

On a serious note, I suffered multiple concussions when I was playing. I'm not even sure of how many, but I say 7. It could have been 6. It could have been 8.

And before anyone makes fun of me,
I think we may have actually hit on a something we can get along about. What you are saying about concussions and depression etc is absolutely correct. Besides my experience playing the game I worked in a D1 athletic program as my FT job and was also a sports admin student . So besides the stuff we learned in class about concussions and CTE I also read a lot of stuff from the NCAA. Even some stuff that I wasnt supposed to read. Like stuff sitting on the ADs desk that was sent out to them from the NCAA. If it was 3 in the morning and it just happened to be break time I might as well save time and sit in the ADs chair and take my break with some reading material(wink wink)

To clarify my remark on the hit. I was only referring to crackback blocks, it was considered dirty by many coaches, and some coaches didn't give a crap, but they wouldn't do it because they knew it opened their players up to cheap shots. The crack back itself isn't dirty but clobbering the guy was frowned on by any coaches with any respect for the game

The helmet rule. If that's not a penalty, don't know what it is.

Do you have a replay showing he led with the helmet? I don't remember a helmet, I distinctly remember the announcer on the replay stating that it was clean with the shoulder.

As for danger of injury, wrong sport than. Every play is a danger. In most of my experience the guy doing the hitting has it feel like butter. The guy receiving the hit, lights out.
As a team we have been the guys taking on the hits. Time to dish them out. Hines Ward made a living on blocks like that, is he in the HOF yet?
There was a great replay of it on Hard Knocks with a very good angle. It was all shoulder. A clean block that could not be disputed.
There was a great replay of it on Hard Knocks with a very good angle. It was all shoulder. A clean block that could not be disputed.

100% agree, HKs showed a perfect angle. Destructive and violent, but perfectly legal.
© DawgTalkers.net