DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: DIEHARD Beer - 03/29/17 11:49 PM
Well, because Politics suck.

So here's my deal --> I recently refinished my basement and have room for (3) 1/6 barrels of beer in my keezer (that's a keg freezer FYI).

What local (Ohio) craft beers would you recommend I put in there?

I have a few restraints.
1. It has to be a 1/6 barrel.
2. I'm not an IPA guy. I'm over it already.
3. No boring pilsners or national beers you can get at a gas station.
4. Nothing too fruity or sour. I've had a Gose beer on tap recently and I couldn't wait to be done with it.

I currently have:
1. Hoppin Frog "Infusion A" - Peanut Butter Chocolate Coffee Porter. May be one of the best tasting beers I've ever had.
2. Maize Valley "Monk in Public" - A strong Belgian Ale. Caramel flavors, 10% abv. Delicious but will knock you on your rear end.

What does the board recommend?

What are your favorite beers?

Thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
B
Posted By: BADdog Re: Beer - 03/30/17 12:03 AM
I like anything by Sam Smith. Not sure you can get it in kegs
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Beer - 03/30/17 12:04 AM
It's not from Ohio, it's from Michigan, and it is a IPA, but Bells Two Hearted Ale is superior in every way.

For a Cleveland local, Dortmunder Gold is superior as well.
Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING Re: Beer - 03/30/17 12:11 AM
When you need a break from beer...

http://robbreport.com/sites/default/files/images/articles/2016sep/2319281/02-trump-wine.jpg
Posted By: rockyhilldawg Re: Beer - 03/30/17 12:18 AM
A dark beer I really liked during my bar drinking days was Negra Modela:

Although, I suspect it might be too bland for some tastes.

And of course there’s the name.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Beer - 03/30/17 12:20 AM
I could help out with a lot of suggestions had the request not been for local. It has been way too long since I lived there.

This being said, I'm a big fan of Great Lakes and try to have one every time I am at their spot in CLE. I remember enjoying Columbus Brewing Company as well. Outside of that, the best I can do are the names I've heard of. If you have problems, let me know, I'll reach out to a buddy in Ohio that essentially has a taproom at his house. He'll be able to help for sure.

Have you reached out to your local distributor to see what they have?
Posted By: DIEHARD Re: Beer - 03/30/17 12:50 AM
Originally Posted By: clwb419
I could help out with a lot of suggestions had the request not been for local. It has been way too long since I lived there.

This being said, I'm a big fan of Great Lakes and try to have one every time I am at their spot in CLE. I remember enjoying Columbus Brewing Company as well. Outside of that, the best I can do are the names I've heard of. If you have problems, let me know, I'll reach out to a buddy in Ohio that essentially has a taproom at his house. He'll be able to help for sure.

Have you reached out to your local distributor to see what they have?

I have. There are 2 major distributors in the area. Cav Beer (www.cavbeer.com) and Tramonte Distributing (http://tramontedistributing.com/). I've gotten a keg of Griffin Cider from Tramonte and a keg of Jackie O's "Java the Stout" from Cav beer. Both very good. Cav seems to have a better selection.

Of course, Maize Valley now has a very impressive selection of beers, even though they have traditionally been a winery. And they are close, just east of Hartville.

Who are the beer affectionadio's on this board?

I could even get something from out of state.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Beer - 03/30/17 09:14 AM
Since I have not had a single beer in 24 days ANY beer sounds good right now thumbsup
Posted By: DIEHARD Re: Beer - 03/30/17 12:55 PM
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Since I have not had a single beer in 24 days ANY beer sounds good right now thumbsup

24 too many. Hope you're feeling better and back to having a cold one in your hands soon!
Posted By: Lurker Re: Beer - 03/30/17 01:08 PM
My favorite beer is Free beer.

If it's a summer day, I like light beer like a pilsner. If I am out drinking with friends then its IPAs. IPAs give you the must bang for your buck.
Posted By: DIEHARD Re: Beer - 03/30/17 02:26 PM
Yep, IPA does "do the trick", no doubt.

I just found out I can get Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale in a 1/6 barrel from Cav Beer.

Yep.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Beer - 03/30/17 03:26 PM
If you like a Pale Ale (not IPA), I think Deschutes Mirror Pond is pretty much the perfect beer. Nice maltiness, with just enough hops (40 IBUs). I'm a big fan of Cascade hops, so maybe I'm biased. It is really well balanced. I'm not sure if they distribute to Ohio though.

Stone (California) has a nice selection of beers, as does AleSmith. Russian River is probably a pipe dream, but they but out some great beers (sours and regular). Three Floyds is probably a pipe dream as well.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Beer - 03/30/17 05:06 PM
I could write 17 pages on this topic. I went to Hunahpu Day down in Tampa earlier this month. Hunahpu and all its variations, along with most beers from Cigar City, are probably within what I call my favorites.

My favorite breweries in no particular order:

Cigar City
Lost Abbey/Port
Russian River
Alchemist
Tree House

Favorite Ohio Brewery:

Jackie O's. It's barrel aging is second to none.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Beer - 03/31/17 07:29 AM
Originally Posted By: DIEHARD
Originally Posted By: GMdawg

24 too many. Hope you're feeling better and back to having a cold one in your hands soon!

Give me another 10 weeks and I will. cool
Posted By: DIEHARD Re: Beer - 03/31/17 11:44 AM
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
I could write 17 pages on this topic. I went to Hunahpu Day down in Tampa earlier this month. Hunahpu and all its variations, along with most beers from Cigar City, are probably within what I call my favorites.

Cigar City
Lost Abbey/Port
Russian River
Alchemist
Tree House

Favorite Ohio Brewery:

Barrel Aged Dark Apparition is killer.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Beer - 03/31/17 04:52 PM
I'm a yuuuge fan of that. Champion Ground is awesome too.
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Beer - 03/31/17 08:23 PM
Originally Posted By: clwb419
If you like a Pale Ale (not IPA), I think Deschutes Mirror Pond is pretty much the perfect beer. Nice maltiness, with just enough hops (40 IBUs). I'm a big fan of Cascade hops, so maybe I'm biased. It is really well balanced. I'm not sure if they distribute to Ohio though.

Stone (California) has a nice selection of beers, as does AleSmith. Russian River is probably a pipe dream, but they but out some great beers (sours and regular). Three Floyds is probably a pipe dream as well.

Yo clwb...you had any beer from Commons Brewery over in SE PDX? I think they may be my absolute favorite Portland brew. I used to be super high on Burnside Brewery but, they axed my favorite go to beer, the "Stock Ale". So, they lose valuable points for that. That was a tremendous English style bitter. But, their Couch Lager and their Kolsch are both refreshing on a hot summer day. Oh, and Burnside do receive special points as their chef (or brewer?) is also a Cleveland boy and Browns fan! smile

Gigantic also make a good brew and their labels are always superb. I don't know if any of these breweries distribute out of state, however.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Beer - 03/31/17 09:10 PM
You may enjoy:

1) Great Lakes Brewery - Nosferatu Imperial Red Ale

2) Thirsty Dog - Wulver Wee Heavy Ale

Great Lakes - Nosferatu

Thirsty Dog - Wulver
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Beer - 03/31/17 10:52 PM
Originally Posted By: dawglover05

Cigar City
Lost Abbey/Port
Russian River
Alchemist
Tree House

Favorite Ohio Brewery:

I spend more and more time down in Venice, Fla. I love Cigar City Brewing. Jai Alai is hard to beat.

Good call, Lover.

Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Beer - 04/03/17 11:46 AM
Thanks Peen! If you ever happen to be in the Tampa area, their brewery is definitely worth stopping in.
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: Beer - 04/03/17 12:09 PM
I'd need to have one tap dedicated to a robust vanilla porter or Guinness. Otherwise I'd have some disappointed friends.
Posted By: DIEHARD Re: Beer - 04/03/17 03:51 PM
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
I'd need to have one tap dedicated to a robust vanilla porter or Guinness. Otherwise I'd have some disappointed friends.

Maize Valley has a great vanilla porter. When the current keg of the Belgian Strong Ale goes empty, that's my next purchase from them.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Beer - 04/03/17 10:20 PM
Anything from Jackie O's, although I couldn't imagine what the price of a keg would be, especially with their more limited stuff.

Great brewery though. I wish they would distribute to Chicago.
Posted By: DIEHARD Re: Beer - 04/04/17 06:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn
Anything from Jackie O's, although I couldn't imagine what the price of a keg would be, especially with their more limited stuff.

Great brewery though. I wish they would distribute to Chicago.

When I purchased a "Java the Stout", it was about $130 for a 1/6th BBL, which isn't bad.

However, the regular (not barrel aged) "Dark Apparition" is $305 for a 1/6th BBL. Ouch. I like that beer but...uh no.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Beer - 04/08/17 09:00 PM
The best California beers come from Latitude 33.

I am biased, but it gets rave reviews, and my son brews for them, and their biggest seller (blood orange) is his creation.

Latitude 33
Posted By: rockyhilldawg Re: Beer - 04/08/17 09:44 PM
My all-time favorite beer was Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic

Mainly because it was seasonal and was only available from Halloween-to-New Year's Day.

So there was that annual anticipation and the beer was tied to the holidays.

I kept 4 or 5 cases of it in the basement during the holidays.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Beer - 04/08/17 11:52 PM
I am in to Bells Two Hearted Ale.....good stuff
Posted By: Psydeffect Re: Beer - 04/09/17 03:31 AM
Mich Ultra with a couple of shots of Jack mixed in.

I'm Bruce and Katlen Jenner wrapped in one package.
Posted By: rockyhilldawg Re: Beer - 04/09/17 04:02 AM
Know what I read from a reliable source right here on Dawgtalkers?

© DawgTalkers.net