DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Versatile Dog Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 12:54 AM
I like talking about music and sharing some of the stuff I listen to. I also enjoy the contributions of others.

How about a thread where we talk about some performers who are good and deserving of more attention?

I have a request or two. Please just post one performer/group per post. I have a hard time when there are 4, 5, 6, videos to watch in just one thread. Let's post one at a time and talk about them. The other thing is not to add someone who we've all heard of.

My first entry is Jade MacRae. I chose her because I think her new stuff is pretty damn good. Kind of a mix between soul and jazz. I also have a good friend who knows her and he is somewhat of a music guy himself and he highly recommended her.

I became aware of Jade when my daughter and I went and saw Joe Bonamassa last spring. We both liked the two background singers and Jade really stood out throughout the show and when she performed a solo. She had a great stage personality and I was very impressed.

Btw--------both of her parents are musicians in Australia. Her mom was a vocalist and her dad a pianist.

Without further ado........here is Jade MacRae:

Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 01:25 AM
One band that has caught my eye and is gathering an audience is Saint Paul and Broken Bones.

https://youtu.be/4JhNBZ04x6Q

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 01:28 AM
Otis!
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 01:29 AM
Here............let me fix your link for you, bro:

Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 01:39 AM
How do you do that?

Anyway if you pull them up and check out some of their stuff. It is crazy.

You see a bunch of white kids pouring it out.

Watch some of the full band pieces.

Yes. Otis. But also Wilson Pickett.

They have opened for the Stones.

Fat southern white kid has some serious soul.
Posted By: Dave Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 01:41 AM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 01:46 AM
Quote:
How do you do that?

First of all............copy the text in the web address bar at the top of the page.

Then, go to the line that is just above the white reply box...The Smilies is first, then create a link to a webpage, etc. Go to the 5th icon from the left. It looks like a blue screen.

Click on it and then click on the YouTube Video thingy and then paste the address from the YouTube video you have selected.

Does that make sense?
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 01:47 AM

Funny topic for a song.

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 01:48 AM
Nice.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 01:51 AM

Made me laugh at myself.

I even enlisted my daughter and son-in-law.

My rudimentary skills are a joke. But I will try.

Anyway Saint Paul and the Broken Bones. If I get a chance to see them live I am going.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 01:53 AM
This is one of my recent discoveries. Well, w/in the last 3 months. It reminds me of some of the stuff from the '20s and I like the upbeat tempo. My dogs and I dance to this every time it comes on the kitchen Bose on one of my Pandora stations.

Give it a listen and tell me you aren't tapping your feet. LOL

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 01:54 AM
It's cool, bro. RocketOptimist taught me how to do it. I was clueless, too. LOL
Posted By: ohio1974 Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 02:09 AM
I like this one:
Rachel Platten - Fight Song

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 02:14 AM
Here is another from Caro:

Posted By: ohio1974 Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 02:35 AM
Rachel Platten - Stand By You

Posted By: Dave Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 02:54 AM
The band is Louisiana LeRoux and the song is "New Orleans Ladies".

Posted By: Razorthorns Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 03:13 AM
A new Japanese group I like and the anime its from Hinomaruzumou is good too. Might be to harsh for some but I like it =)

Posted By: Razorthorns Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 03:25 AM
On the other side of the spectrum I LOVE this song from South Korea.

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 03:29 AM
I think some of you may have heard of her, but probably most have not.

I am not a musical expert, but Mazzy Starr combined several unique elements. Folksy. Druggy. Mystical. Shy. Reclusive. Mesmerizing.

Listen...

Dudes! Y'all see the attractiveness of that girl, yo?
Posted By: ohio1974 Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 03:33 AM
Ruth B. - Lost Boy

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 03:38 AM
Good find.

That song isn't meant for her, but I hear big-time potential. She needs a strong song-writer that can take advantage of that voice, which is considerable.
Posted By: ohio1974 Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 03:50 AM
I'm glad you liked it. I love her to. I like that song that man lol...never herd it before thanks for putting that one on here.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 03:59 AM
Looking forward to more of your contributions.
Posted By: ohio1974 Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 04:20 AM
Erasure - Am I Right

Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 05:19 AM
The 80s Synth never died!

Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 03:43 PM

Have not yet listened to all the posts yet but I like mazzy.

Perfect description vers.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 04:00 PM

Ok I will try this copy thing.

Anyway this where the Wilson Pickett and Jackie Wilson thing comes from.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 04:17 PM

This guy I like a lot. He is from Kenya and is a raegee guy. Rocky Dawuni.

Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 04:27 PM

This is very cool it involves musicians from all over the world. There are albums. Called Playing for Change.

Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 05:40 PM

Cool video.

I am a big fan of the big band jazz sound.

Good stuff.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 05:53 PM
Playing for Change with Keith Richards

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 06:42 PM
Not a popular genre on here but the lyrics are fantastic!

Posted By: Tyler_Derden Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 09:02 PM

I may have posted her stuff before....idk.....but she has put out some great material...
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/28/18 11:52 PM
This guy sings his guts out.
All heart. Tyler Childers...
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/29/18 12:13 AM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
This is one of my recent discoveries. Well, w/in the last 3 months. It reminds me of some of the stuff from the '20s and I like the upbeat tempo. My dogs and I dance to this every time it comes on the kitchen Bose on one of my Pandora stations.

If you like this style of music look up a band called The Squirrel Nut Zippers. If you have not already heard of them that is.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/29/18 12:42 AM
Thanks.

I have heard of them, but I didn't care for them. I think I'm more of a fan of Caro's voice and delivery than anything. Although, I do like rhythm and sound of that one particular song I posted.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/29/18 01:11 AM
Can we have a sports anthem thread?

I post this song as "off the beaten path" Although it really isn't. I don't think Gary Glitter was known for much other than this. And he is some kind of perv.

But back in the 90's when I went to NBA games....this was THE song.

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/29/18 01:58 AM
Hey Portland, do you follow Pink Martini at all? I think they are from your neck of the woods.

Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/29/18 03:15 AM
Very familiar. Seen them a few times over the years. Worked a charity event, doing some lighting, with the lead singer sitting in with other musicians.
Pink Martini is not my general style but they do what they do well. So I can appreciate it.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/29/18 03:33 AM
That's pretty cool.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/29/18 04:01 AM
I imagine not too many of you have heard of Skye. She is mainly a back-up singer, but has some songs. I like this cover a lot.

Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/29/18 06:23 PM

I love to hear different styles of music so I appreciate this post. I never heard them before.

I have strong jazz roots and have always loved the blended sound of sax and trumpet. Getz and Gilberto back in the day blended the South American beat and sound with the tenor sax of Stan Getz to create some magic.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/29/18 06:32 PM
Something old skool sounding... something a little funky...
Tahuna Breaks...
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/29/18 06:36 PM

I like Gorillaz and the song and this cover brings new light to that song.

It has always interested me how some covers work.

If you have a stylist who brings it to a great song sometimes it works better than the original.

I am a Dylan fan. His lyrics are simply amazing. Sometimes I prefer his version. But then you hear Hendrix do All Along The Watchtower and it blows your mind.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/29/18 06:48 PM
Funking up your Saturday morning... bring the horns, bring the keys, bring the bass, and bring the heat... add in a good message and you got...
The Motet
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/30/18 06:12 AM
The video doesn't look great, but the song is.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i_kKdVIY4Bk
Posted By: Spawn1 Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 12/30/18 12:51 PM
Say this guy opening for Social Distortion, and fell in love with his music, dude has great passion for his songs.

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/04/19 02:03 AM
Do you like jazz? Soul? Acid influences? Funk? Haunting vocals? Orchestras?

Well, you can enjoy them all if you listen to Portishead. Check it out:

Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/04/19 04:16 PM
I think some of you may have heard of her, but probably most have not.

I am not a musical expert, but Mazzy Starr combined several unique elements. Folksy. Druggy. Mystical. Shy. Reclusive. Mesmerizing.

I have seen her live...as Mazzy Star twice, once in the 90s and again a few years ago when they released a new album. Also seen her solo three times (Hope Sandoval & the New Bavairans). She is beautiful, but painfully shy and apparently suffers extreme stage fright. All 5 times I have seen her the club is almost entirely black with maybe just a soft blue light on her. She barely moves, rarely talks to the crowd and often covers her face with her long hair. It is awkward, yet strangely mysterious and alluring. On record, however, she is phenomenal. That said, they all sound very similar in that dreamy, folky, droney, psychedelic way (even her solo records do).

My wife and I just saw these dudes....new band out of Seattle and they were amazing! They have one album out and it is a killer! We have played it often since seeing them!

Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/04/19 04:34 PM
Do you like jazz? Soul? Acid influences? Funk? Haunting vocals? Orchestras?

Well, you can enjoy them all if you listen to Portishead.

Not as haunting as Portishead, but England had a lot of this jazzy, trip hop/lounge bands in the 90s/early 00's. Massive Attack and Morcheeba are a couple others who are well worth checking out. However, I love the first couple Zero 7 albums. Very soothing, hypnotic and rather gorgeous to the ears:

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/04/19 05:38 PM
Always good to read your takes on music. Welcome back.
Posted By: VarmintKong Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/05/19 01:44 PM
How did this thread slip by me? Great topic! I've been in a rut listening to the same stuff lately. Looks like the little woman and I will have quite the YouTube playlist, while we hang out tonight. Good times a comin.
Posted By: BCbrownie Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/05/19 07:06 PM
This is a cover of Pink Floyd's "Shine On" done by Christy Moore.
Although he is not well known stateside,he was a member of the group Planxty with Paul Brady and Donal Lunny.That would equate to a super group of tradional Irish musicians.

Christy Moore Shine On
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/06/19 03:37 AM
Erika Hughes and the Well Mannered.
A Columbus based band. Some very good friends of my brother in law. He plays in band with Erika’s husband.
Enjoy...
Posted By: VarmintKong Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/06/19 09:19 AM
Had to bring out the laptop for this, so if my syntax is sinful it's my own darn fault and not the autocorrect on my kids tablet. Grandma took all the grandkids so we ended up with my brothers in law over tonight. I was forced to share the music selections. The southern fried variants went over well with the group and DAMN I really liked that Motet, Portland. Nobody else did, but it had me goin.

The fam pooped out early, but I'm still standing, which brings me to my first contribution. You all read The Giving Tree, Light in the Attic, or Where the Sidewalk Ends when you were little? Me too. Always loved that stuff. It's not okay to say you smoke down yet, but Shel Silverstein never cared. Beware of being the roller when there's nothing left to roll.

Posted By: VarmintKong Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/06/19 09:25 AM
Got to reminiscing tonight. Got me thinking bout the good old days:
Posted By: VarmintKong Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/06/19 09:32 AM
This isn't new, but it was new to me. Brother played it tonight and I think he's got his finger on the pulse of you country rockers.

Posted By: VarmintKong Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/06/19 09:37 AM
If I was stuck on a deserted island and could only pick one album side worth of music to listen to on repeat this would make the cut. Have to rebuy this, but can't find it.

Posted By: VarmintKong Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/06/19 09:54 AM
This dude can play! He gets on that groove and I feel like my chest is gonna burst. Guess he always played, but lacked confidence. Decided to play covers at a local pizza joint gradually working in his own tunes as he bent favorable ears.

Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/06/19 02:56 PM
Originally Posted By: VarmintKong
Had to bring out the laptop for this, so if my syntax is sinful it's my own darn fault and not the autocorrect on my kids tablet. Grandma took all the grandkids so we ended up with my brothers in law over tonight. I was forced to share the music selections. The southern fried variants went over well with the group and DAMN I really liked that Motet, Portland. Nobody else did, but it had me goin.

The fam pooped out early, but I'm still standing, which brings me to my first contribution. You all read The Giving Tree, Light in the Attic, or Where the Sidewalk Ends when you were little? Me too. Always loved that stuff. It's not okay to say you smoke down yet, but Shel Silverstein never cared. Beware of being the roller when there's nothing left to roll.

Glad you liked that Motet track. Not sure what’s not to like. If you’ve got any soul you have to like funk. Check out their album Totem. They picked up a new vocalist and added a new keys player around then. Changed their sound significantly. Took a step up from their previous stuff for sure.
Glad you dug it. Sure you’ll enjoy Totem too. Let the haters hate. wink
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/06/19 02:57 PM
Any McKee’s take in Toto’s Africa is insane.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/06/19 03:04 PM
I’ve seen Leftover Salmon a bunch over the years. Met them all back in the mid 90’s backstage at the Newport. RIP Mark Vaughn. Man that kid could play a banjo. Their original bass player, Tye North, is an acquaintance of mine now here in Portland all these years later. Vince Herman still plays a festival that I work out here just about every year.
Super talented group of kids they were.
Posted By: VarmintKong Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/06/19 04:40 PM

Didn't get to this last night, but I sure wish I did. I don't know what you look like Vers, but I imagine what I imagine you look like doing dancing dishes in an assembly line where you dogs dries.

this has me beboppin round the house, while cleaning up before the kids got home this morning. However my boxer wouldn't dance, he wouldn't even hold the trash bag for me the lazy mutt.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/06/19 11:45 PM

Mongolian heavy metal band with weird instruments and throat music. This is awesome in so many ways.

https://youtu.be/jM8dCGIm6yc

This is totally a primal, tribalistic sports anthem.
Posted By: VarmintKong Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/07/19 01:49 AM
Dude?! How did you even find this. It's certainly off the beaten path, those Mongolian bikers just made their own on the grassy expanse of the steppe. I actually found myself enjoying this though. I feel like this could be played at the stadium on Sundays with some minor modifications, but still keeping the throaty singer. Picture the stadium packed, as the team is about to be introduced the heirs of Chinggis Khan begin:

When Bengal come we rumble like thunder,
Raven come we strike like lightning,
Steeler come we crush and obliterate,
Cleveland Browns bring the wrath of heaven.

At this point, instead of Mongolian bikers chanting Hu Hu Hu, 70,000+ Woof Woof Woof as the team bursts onto the field. The few visiting fans either capitulate and assimilate by donning Orange and Brown or they are engulfed and consumed.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/07/19 01:50 AM
Eve is a woman.
Posted By: Swish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/07/19 02:05 AM

listen to that progression! listen to how the music literally flows with the singers vocals. its methodical, its peaceful, its make you feel like you're floating through the milky way.

will we remain?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/07/19 02:13 AM
I love the music threads. We don't argue very often on these threads and that is cool. I tend to not listen to the songs one by one, but listen to several in a row when I am not posting.

I love hearing new things from other posters. It's all pretty cool.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/07/19 02:37 AM
Dude?! How did you even find this. It's certainly off the beaten path, those Mongolian bikers just made their own on the grassy expanse of the steppe. I actually found myself enjoying this though. I feel like this could be played at the stadium on Sundays with some minor modifications, but still keeping the throaty singer. Picture the stadium packed, as the team is about to be introduced the heirs of Chinggis Khan begin:

When Bengal come we rumble like thunder,
Raven come we strike like lightning,
Steeler come we crush and obliterate,
Cleveland Browns bring the wrath of heaven.

At this point, instead of Mongolian bikers chanting Hu Hu Hu, 70,000+ Woof Woof Woof as the team bursts onto the field. The few visiting fans either capitulate and assimilate by donning Orange and Brown or they are engulfed and consumed.

I totally feel that as a stadium song! Somebody make a deal with them! I could listen to that all day.

I randomly found an article about that band today and got hooked. Its absolutely going in my youtube favorites.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/07/19 02:38 AM
Something a little different.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/07/19 02:56 AM
Hey Vamint.............I love your posts, enthusiasm, and contributions.

I am not sure if this girl is completely "off the beaten path," but I have a feeling you may not have heard of her and will enjoy her music.

I'll play two. I apologize f you already have listened to her.

Bro, she's sweet, smooth, sultry, sophisticated, and sexy. That's an alliteration. LOL

She was also hit by a SUV while riding her bike when she was 10. She suffered brain trauma and still has to often use a cane and wear shades due to the headaches light causes her.

If you like those two, check out some of her other stuff. She's incredibly awesome and one of my top three listens right now.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/07/19 03:24 AM
Not to hog the thread.............but, here is another interesting piece from Miss Gardot.

Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/07/19 06:43 PM
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
This guy sings his guts out.
All heart. Tyler Childers...

Since Portland beat me to it w/ my man Tyler Childers, I will offer up two other bands I am digging right now.

The Budos Band (Instrumental funk w/ an Ethiopian style twist) . . .

Goat (Rockin' world music) . . .

And one more Tyler Childers tune . . .

Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/08/19 12:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Brownoholic

I saw GOAT live in Portland several years ago. I am torn on them...in terms of performance...the gig was without a doubt a spectacle. The band were all wearing African style masks, pounding witchcraft and shamen sticks, female singers with feathery tribal headdresses and batik dresses in the front dancing in a ritualistic tribal way and the music had tribal rhythms, chants and manic percussion, but overlaid on top was an ultra cool 'Shaft' style psychedelic wah and tremolo drenched fuzz guitar. On the surface, I admit it was pretty damn cool.

Why am I torn then? The band are, or at least they were when I saw them, all white hailing from Sweden. Most/all in the audience were white and some in the audience were also wearing tribal inspired masks. It was, without a doubt, the most over the top and blatantly obvious/textbook example of cultural appropriation I have ever seen and it made me feel very odd witnessing it as an audience member.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/08/19 12:20 AM

Listened to the first cut and liked it a bunch.

Will definitely check her out.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/08/19 03:50 AM
I figured you would like Melody Gardot. She is one special singer/songwriter. I know you like jazz and her takes on it are rather special.
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/08/19 04:26 AM
I like jazz, but it is a genre that has always intimidated me as it's hard to know where to start. That said, Eddie Harris is one of my favorites. Hell, he may actually be my favorite jazz artist.

His early/mid 60s stuff is fairly traditional and his LP 'Exodus to Jazz' is an absolute beauty and you can still find original copies for about $5-10. He is also probably best known for his 1969 Swiss Jazz Fest gig and LP with Les McCann ('Swiss Movement').

HOWEVER, in the 70s he recorded a handful of killer, jazz funk albums, which are bit more difficult to find. The cover art would make most record buyers flip past them rather than pick them up, but underneath the gawdy, kitsch artwork are some infectious grooves and this one, in particular, is probably my all time favorite jazz song, ever.

Brings tears to my eyes and floors me everytime I hear it. One of those songs that makes you stop what you are doing, sit down and....listen.

Glorious.

Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/08/19 05:09 PM
She is really good.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/08/19 11:17 PM
Nick Drake.

Jesse Marchant.
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/09/19 01:51 AM
Originally Posted By: AZBrown
Nick Drake.

I love all three of Drake's albums. There is nobody who can pick the guitar quite like him.
And, what sounds so simple is actually highly complex. I guess that is part of his charm & beauty. There is also a great biography by Patrick Humphries that is well worth reading. It definitely gives insight into this gentle, haunted, introspective and lonely English folkie who barely sold any records during his life, but has since become highly respected and a huge influence.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/09/19 06:40 PM
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: Brownoholic

I saw GOAT live in Portland several years ago. I am torn on them...in terms of performance...the gig was without a doubt a spectacle. The band were all wearing African style masks, pounding witchcraft and shamen sticks, female singers with feathery tribal headdresses and batik dresses in the front dancing in a ritualistic tribal way and the music had tribal rhythms, chants and manic percussion, but overlaid on top was an ultra cool 'Shaft' style psychedelic wah and tremolo drenched fuzz guitar. On the surface, I admit it was pretty damn cool.

Why am I torn then? The band are, or at least they were when I saw them, all white hailing from Sweden. Most/all in the audience were white and some in the audience were also wearing tribal inspired masks. It was, without a doubt, the most over the top and blatantly obvious/textbook example of cultural appropriation I have ever seen and it made me feel very odd witnessing it as an audience member.

Well that is disappointing. Sounds pretty annoying. And I've been checking up here and there to see when they tour again. I knew they were from Sweden.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/10/19 01:53 AM

Vers.

Melody is effing incredible. thanks so much.

I really like her a lot. I will listen to everything she has available.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/10/19 02:38 AM
I figured you would love her, bro. You have a good ear for music.

She's my favorite right now, even supplanting Beth Hart--who I still adore.

Melody is understated jazzy while being innovative. She can provide fresh takes on classics and can write new songs that capture days of yore.

Check out a couple more examples of each.

Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/10/19 02:58 AM

I have listened to alot of her today.

She really grabs me.

I read all about her accident. Amazing story.

If she tours anywhere near me I am going.

Her covers have an amazing self stamp. I have not heard anyone like her. Her sensitivity to music comes through every song.

I like Caro as well. Both have unique style.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/10/19 03:03 AM
Another female vocalist. Different style. Maybe you’ll enjoy.
Mandolin Orange...
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/10/19 03:18 AM
Thanks. She also is good.

I have been around music and musicians my whole life.

But I don't seek new people. It just has to happen. Somebody says check this out. And I do.

I flop around.

Funny I was listening today to Louis Armstrong today in the car. He was singing La Vie en Rose. An old classic.

Then I listened the same song sung by Melody Gardot in french.

Amazing. A beautiful melody done completely different yet it retains the original sound.

Fantastic.
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/10/19 03:32 AM
I am a huge Mark Lanegan fan. Some of you may remember him from the 90s band, The Screaming Trees (they were always my favorite of the Seattle bands). However, in the mid-90s Lanegan started releasing some of his own solo stuff and it is incredible. Seen him live a handful of times and even had a drink with him after one gig. Amazingly, he looks quite moody and melancholic and somewhat intimidating, yet one-on-one he was super talkative and chill. Anyway, there are 4-5 Lanegan records that are absolutely essential, but here are a couple tasters to sink your teeth into.

Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/10/19 03:34 AM
PS: I like that jazz singer Vers (Melody)! She is a new one to me. Thanks!
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/10/19 01:24 PM
I have no idea why, but it makes me feel good if I can introduce another person to music that they like. It's kind of weird, but it makes me happy.

I've been wanting to see Melody Gardot since I discovered her music. She doesn't tour much. I don't think she has any upcoming scheduled tour dates, but I might be wrong about that. I believe most of her prior concerts are in Europe. I don't feel very confident that the SE USA will be one of her priorities. LOL

I think her physical issues from her accident makes it hard for her to tour. She is still very sensitive to light and that is why you see her w/the shades on all the time. She also uses a cane.

I get my fix in a couple of ways. I listen to her--and many others--at night when I'm on this board. I have the music playing while I am reading or typing on here and then flip back to YouTube to watch parts of the performances.

I also created a Pandora station and named it Melody Gardot radio. That is how I discovered Caro and Skye, as well as many other interesting performers.

I'm rambling, but I really do love music and I'm happy that you are enjoying a new discovery.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/10/19 03:23 PM

I know what you mean. When I first heard Playing for Change even though sometimes there are American celebrity players I thought it was so cool.

It made me aware of some people from other countries that later I checked out and really liked.

And then I passed it on to others.

Music is a well that never runs dry.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/11/19 06:26 AM

This an in depth article on Gardot about her all that she has gone through and what music did to her.

Incredible story.

https://www.elle.com/culture/music/a11262/composing-melody-the-enigmatic-melody-gardot-450867/
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/12/19 01:57 AM
No one will read all of that article, but it's pretty cool.

Our friend Clem often talks about the powers of music and introducing your children to music and all its wonders. This excerpt validates Mr. Clem's claims.

Quote:
And then a simple Google search reveals that not only does she have amazing talent, but she also has a jaw-dropping backstory. Seven years ago, at 19, she was hit by a car while on her bike and suffered devastating injuries, especially to her brain. After months of going through all the traditional therapies for the brain-injured and still being unable to read, still struggling to speak and walk, she was encouraged by her doctor to try playing music, since she'd played piano as a child and teenager. The reintroduction of music to her life affected a kind of miraculous awakening. Lying on her sickbed, she taught herself to play guitar, began to sing for the first time, and even started writing songs, which unbeknownst to her a friend posted on MySpace. It turned out she could sing like an angel, and her songs were good by any measure.

Naturally, the media flocked to her. The Times of London, The San Francisco Chronicle, Le Monde, The Korea Times, National Public Radio, The Sydney Morning Herald, The New York Times, and CBS Sunday Morning, to name a few, tell variations on the Only Music Can Heal Her story. I flocked to Gardot too, hopping a plane to Spain to interview this amazing singer, a walking example of the healing powers of music.

Musicophilia, the 2007 book by the neurologist Oliver Sacks, illustrates the ways in which music is a therapeutic boon. Aphasics, he writes, cannot locate words, but they're often able to sing the words to songs. A Parkinson's sufferer, unable to speak or move, can, when listening to music, actually get up and dance gracefully.

But the Melody Gardot case represents success on an entirely different scale. Music therapy didn't just allow this young woman to enjoy a relatively normal life after a traumatic injury—it brought out such a gift that she has actually become famous.
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/12/19 03:51 PM
No one will read all of that article, but it's pretty cool.

I read it all and I enjoyed it a lot!

I will also make a claim about the importance of art education (visual and performing) and art therapy. Not only do the arts help with critical thinking and problem solving, but they allow for abstract and "out of the box" thought as well as visual, expressive & creative communication. Studies show that students who take at least one art class at a higher level (HS or even at college) do much better across the board than their peers who don't take any art. Students who take art throughout school often perform significantly better in all testing statistics. Sadly, however, we continue to strip funding from the arts, which pushes art education into the private sector or at museums where people have to pay, which makes it harder for lower income demographics to access forcing it to be a middle/upper class education privilege.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/12/19 06:00 PM
I'm impressed that you took the time to read that article. It was fairly long.

I also totally agree w/your comments about the benefits of art and that it is a damn shame to not utilize them enough in our public schools.

We should perhaps start a thread on this someday. I like a balance of regular academics, the arts, and physical education. I had a student who was born in China and her explanation of the school day amazed me. It seemed so extreme, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. It may also help why Chinese culture looks at education so differently than American culture does. It's not "we have to go to school today." Rather, we get to go to school today."

Btw--------I wish I had the funds to start a school. It would set our current educational practices on it's collective ear.
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/12/19 06:13 PM
I too have had students from China and they have told me that the difference between US and UK art education is: in China they learn the technical skills REALLY, REALLY well. For example, how to draw or paint something that looks realistic. However, (and this is in their words), there is a "lack of creativity in how it is taught". In the US and UK art also focuses on skills, but it pushes thinking outside of the box and being creative with your expression and your voice. We all know art is subjective and some folks will prefer art that looks realistic because it showcases something they can't do. However, for myself, I have always preferred the arts that evoke an emotion and make me think. That, in my opinion, is where honesty, creativity and soul comes into play.

This may also explain why the US and Europe still lead when it comes to creativity in computer/digital technology and, currently, robotics & engineering (although Asia is/have quickly catching/caught up with us on the latter).

PS: when I say "art" I am referring to all of the arts: visual, music, theatre, dance, literary etc.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/13/19 04:25 AM
Quote:
Sadly, however, we continue to strip funding from the arts, which pushes art education into the private sector or at museums where people have to pay, which makes it harder for lower income demographics to access forcing it to be a middle/upper class education privilege.

I'm a one-man crusade against that.

I am a product of America's last great truly Socialist policy experiment of the late 50/early 60's. When I was 9 years old, I received my first cello- a 1/2-size plywood mass-produced little abomination with an aluminum "Kay" badge on the tailpiece. My folks could rent that li'l box for- get this- 10 dollars per school year.

We were a one-income family. Dad was a beat cop at the time. Money was tight. I've mentioned before that I had a paying job at the age of 7: Three Aces Moving. My Pops, my Great Uncle Oliver ('Uncle Babe') and myself hauled pianos and organs sold by a local music store on Saturdays. Just so happens that one of the salespersons was a cellist in the local community orchestra. Bruce Sims. When I turned 10 and showed some dedication, he agreed to give me private lessons. 2.50/hr (He had other students whom he charged more for).

Fast-Forward. Bruce retired when I was 12, and handed me off to another teacher, who left after 9 months, and handed me of to another teacher. And another. By the time I was 14, I'd had 4 different teachers. My progress was starting to suffer from all the inconsistency. (Sound familiar, Browns fans?)

We were told about this teacher at BGSU, 1:15 away. Momz drove me there for my audition. Yes, audition.
Peter Howard didn't take just any student. If you didn't make his cut, he'd refer you to his wife Mary, who would get you in shape for lessons with Peter.

Dude's credentials were impeccable. Taught at Oberlin Conservatory, played first desk in the Cleveland Orch, had a soloist's career in Europe, the whole nine. I must have played for an hour and a half for that dude. When it was over, he agreed to teach me. When Momz asked him his hourly fee, our jaws dropped. He was charging what Lawyers did. Momz cut the check, thanked him for his time, and explained that we were folks of very modest means, and have learned to make do with the best we could afford. She then asked him if he could refer us to some other teachers who might charge less. Pete said no.

What he did next changed the trajectory of my life. He told my Mom: "Pay me what you can. It's more important for your son to get a quality education than it is for me to get rich from teaching. Besides, some doctor's talentless kid will come along wanting lessons, and I'll just charge them double." rofl He then slashed his fee IN HALF.

I studied with Peter for 5 uninterrupted years, which upped my game from promising youngster to young competitive adult. Without him, I spend 30 years at the local refinery (a great job, but not a career in music, you know?)

To this day, I carry two teaching rates: my standard hourly fee (about the same as an attorney's billable hours) for those who can afford to pay, and "whatever you can afford" for those students who are like I was. I've taught for as little a $5.00... and those kids get the same quality ed that I give to the students whose parents pay the full rate.

I've actually sent poor kids from the inner city to music schools on talent scholarships they've won through intensive auditions and testing. It's a great feeling to see these kids come out of their shells, escape hood life, re-wire their brains, and become next generation's leaders. There is no other work like it.

My crusade: to put music in the hearts, hands, and minds of every child who wants it. I've already set up my estate to continue that legacy after I'm gone.

One man- with a plan.
Posted By: Nelson37 Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/13/19 01:00 PM
Art and music education is a nice, extra, bonus activity.

Everyone has heard of a starving artist sale. Has anyone ever heard of a starving electrician, engineer, or plumber sale? Take a few moments and think about that.

While it is true that most kids in music programs have better grades, it is also true that most kids in music programs ALREADY HAD better grades, that's why they had the available time to enter a music program.

Sure there are success stories. The much larger number of total failure stories are not nearly as interesting.

Right next to my City Hall, there is a large sculpture of what looks like a giant Flintstone's snow tire. A large stone circle, with a hole in the center, with grooves around the outside. SIX FIGURES of taxpayer dollars.

The best part is they have a retrospective of this artist's work displayed inside. There is a half circle, with a hole in the center and grooves around the outside, a three-quarter circle with a hole and grooves, a complete circle with a hole but no grooves, and a complete circle with grooves but no hole.

For several hundred thousand dollars, at least the citizens of my county got his most advanced work.

Meanwhile, kids in school did not have enough textbooks to go around, potholes in roads went unrepaired, new equipment for police and firefighters went unpurchased, a whole slew of needed and important services for citizens failed to materialize.

But, hey, we have a big granite snow tire.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/13/19 01:04 PM
It never crossed my mind at the time, but I should have known better than to highlight the excerpt about how music helped Miss Gardot recover and the benefits music can provide to our society.
Posted By: Nelson37 Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/13/19 01:20 PM
Perhaps, instead of a knee-jerk reaction regarding a pet obsession, you might engage is some comparative thought.

If every school system in the country bought fewer textbooks and more oboes, would our students be BETTER OFF, or WORSE?

As with many things, it's all a matter of "Compared to WHAT?"

One of the above is more important, and more necessary, than the other. There is not an unlimited supply of funds available to apply to everything everybody wants. Priorities must be defined.

That does not mean that art and music are not good things, or are not beneficial. There are, however, quite a number of things that are more beneficial, and more important.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/13/19 01:24 PM
This is not the political forum. I already apologized for my earlier comment.

This is a music thread. I was wrong to say that music can be beneficial to our society and individuals.

Perhaps you can start a thread about your thoughts in the Political forum?
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/13/19 01:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Nelson37
Art and music education is a nice, extra, bonus activity.

Everyone has heard of a starving artist sale. Has anyone ever heard of a starving electrician, engineer, or plumber sale? Take a few moments and think about that.

While it is true that most kids in music programs have better grades, it is also true that most kids in music programs ALREADY HAD better grades, that's why they had the available time to enter a music program.

Sure there are success stories. The much larger number of total failure stories are not nearly as interesting.

Right next to my City Hall, there is a large sculpture of what looks like a giant Flintstone's snow tire. A large stone circle, with a hole in the center, with grooves around the outside. SIX FIGURES of taxpayer dollars.

The best part is they have a retrospective of this artist's work displayed inside. There is a half circle, with a hole in the center and grooves around the outside, a three-quarter circle with a hole and grooves, a complete circle with a hole but no grooves, and a complete circle with grooves but no hole.

For several hundred thousand dollars, at least the citizens of my county got his most advanced work.

Meanwhile, kids in school did not have enough textbooks to go around, potholes in roads went unrepaired, new equipment for police and firefighters went unpurchased, a whole slew of needed and important services for citizens failed to materialize.

But, hey, we have a big granite snow tire.

Yesterday I sat in the office of my studio with my buddy/co-creator of our art. We spent time looking over the plans for our public art piece were about to begin building. Our city will soon have a crazy piece of giant art in it because of the our collaborative efforts.
If our art inspires even one kid to look at life differently, to think outside the box, to be creative in a world that needs creative thinkers, then our job is well done. I’ll gladly accept the public money and will apply every time a city wants to give out more. Why? Because art is more important to society than you’re giving credit for.
Maybe your city chose poorly. Maybe you should sit on the board that chooses public art pieces so that your tastes can be accounted for.
I leave it at that.

Actually an addendum: So you know. Our project requires a structural engineer, an electrician, and a certified welder to complete. So, see, the arts have a ripple effect. My guess is the team that’ll help us put this together will have never worked on something so outside the box. My guess is they’ll be enriched through the experience too. Art is cool that way.
Posted By: Nelson37 Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/13/19 01:54 PM
Apple pie is a good and wonderful thing which brings many people enjoyment and pleasure.

What percentage of the taxpayer-funded school lunch budget should be devoted to serving apple pie?

If occasionally serving apple pie for lunch meant there would be no supplemental breakfast program, which would you choose?

In case you are blissfully unaware, the decision on which of the two is MORE IMPORTANT than the other, has already been made for you. This choice is made by people who actually confront reality, rather than live in fantasy land.
Posted By: Swish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/13/19 02:00 PM
Should I start posting more techno songs?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/13/19 02:09 PM
Please do.
Posted By: Nelson37 Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/13/19 02:20 PM
I wonder how the two of you feel that money was extracted from your wallets to pay for a statue of the Madonna and child made out of elephant poop?

Likely before Swish's time, but Vers certainly was involved. Somebody decided that you needed to pay for that. Not sure if it is still on display, or if it served a useful purpose as fertilizer.

Me, I'd rather buy schoolbooks, or feed hungry children. But, I guess "art" is more important to some folks.

It's OK, don't bother to think, evaluate, or make decisions. I understand.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/13/19 02:22 PM
Hey guys. Please don't respond to him. Hopefully he will go away and we can talk about music again. Again, it was my fault for mentioning the benefits of music. My apologies.
Posted By: Nelson37 Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/13/19 02:33 PM
Oh, look! A butterfly! Pretty!
Posted By: FATE Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/13/19 02:35 PM

Me, I'd rather buy schoolbooks, or feed hungry children. But, I guess "art" is more important to some folks.

So get off your butt and go feed some hungry children. Don't talk about it - go do it.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/13/19 02:38 PM
Trying to get back to the topic...
So not as melodic, vocal forward and such as other offerings but it’s got a bit of a beat to it and is a sexy track. Plus it’s already Swish approved.

Posted By: FATE Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/13/19 02:44 PM

Growing up poor, her parents couldn't even afford to name her - now she just goes by "spoon lady". Her school was filled with textbooks but no musical instruments. Alas - her passion prevailed.

Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/13/19 02:46 PM

This track just dropped a couple days ago. Clem has fully approved as... olde skool...
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/13/19 03:03 PM
fun thread.

I usually keep a low profile here- it's more enjoyable to find others' likes than spread my stuff around. I might contribute something at one point.

Still blown away by Eve's submission. I'd heard traditional Tibetan throat singing, but this fusion of metal is insane.

I hope this thread rolls on for quite some time.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/13/19 03:04 PM
I really liked that last song by The Motet. Yeah, it was olde skool funk w/a nice backbeat. Pretty cool. Thanks.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/13/19 03:09 PM
The rest of that Motet album is going to drop soon.
They changed their lineup in the past couple of years. Added a great vocalist and a new keyboard player. The last album they put out, with the new line up, called Totem, is so so good. Look it up. I’m really looking forward to the rest of this new one. Not sure when the rest drops.
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/13/19 03:56 PM
Hey guys. Please don't respond to him. Hopefully he will go away and we can talk about music again. Again, it was my fault for mentioning the benefits of music. My apologies.

No, it wasn't your fault. You brought up an excellent point about an artist and education and one that is worthy of discussion. If it were not for the art or artifacts left behind we would know nothing of so many cultures and civilizations. STEAM: (Science/Technology/Engineering/Arts/Mathematics) is essential education and the Arts play a significant role. The arts help in so many ways, they make a well rounded student and they also allow students to think critically and to problem solve. PortlandDawg highlighted it perfectly when talking about his massive sculptures (which I have had the pleasure to not only see first hand, but to do my small part in helping/supplying two more hands whenever I can). The amount of problem solving and abstract critical thinking (not to mention engineering, electrical work and geometry) needed to create his massive sculptures from a small doodle to the physical structure and the amount of unforeseen problems that present themselves along the way is creative & applied mathematics at its best. The finished piece they share may not speak STEAM, but PortlandDawg's audience receives aesthetic enjoyment in return for his and his partner's brain, muscle and creative powers that were painstakingly bled, sweated, cried, laughed, smoked, burned and absorbed into the metal or whatever materials they choose to create with.

I left this place for the entire football season as I had enough with the digital drama, pollution & petty arguments, which I don't need in my life. I decided to return and vowed to myself to stay out of the muck and move past those who choose to freely throw it. Please don't apologize Vers. As you rightly said...just ignore the philistines. smile
Posted By: Nelson37 Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/13/19 04:13 PM
The term is STEM, there is no "A" in what we are expending a national effort towards promoting for, and teaching to, our children.

Not even to women and other oppressed minorities. S T E M.

Fascinating that much art promotes acknowledgment of shades of gray and the lack of absolutes in so many areas, yet its most rabid proponents seem near-totally unable to grasp that vitally important fact.

Continue discussing your free music and studying your free art. I'm gonna go get some apple pie. Actually, more likely some fresh bakery turnovers cause they're on sale. Not free, though.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/13/19 04:23 PM
Oh art isn’t free. You should see the check we’re cashing.
Nor is it free as I spent thousands of dollars for art school and countless hours honing my skills. Nothing free about that.
Enjoy your turnover. Baking is a creative endevour. An art in and of itself.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/13/19 04:40 PM

Good job Clem.

Pass on what what you have learned. So important. Bravo.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/13/19 04:48 PM

Look I get your point.

But really this about the title of the thread. Musicians off the Beaten Path.

There are other forums to talk about pros and cons.

This about sharing music.
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/13/19 05:00 PM
The term is STEM, there is no "A" in what we are expending a national effort towards promoting for, and teaching to, our children.

Not even to women and other oppressed minorities. S T E M.

Fascinating that much art promotes acknowledgment of shades of gray and the lack of absolutes in so many areas, yet its most rabid proponents seem near-totally unable to grasp that vitally important fact.

Hmmm...that's odd. I was just at a STEAM conference.

http://stemtosteam.org/
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/13/19 05:12 PM
My wife and I see a lot of live music. Even more so now that we are empty nesters (son went to college and daughter has moved out). We were at a club just last night and saw this great funky band from Seattle, 'Down North'. They were SO GOOD, the guitarist absolutely smoked! His guitar tone reminded me of Eddie Hazel from early Funkadelic (they even did a cover of a P-Funk tune), the lead singer danced throughout the set and channeled his inner James Brown screaming & dancing (at one point he was down on the floor w/the audience singing and dancing), the drummer was phenomenal...so fast and a ball of energy and the bassist laid down the thickest, fuzziest and funkiest bass. I was by his amp and could feel it throughout my bones. Great gig!

Oh, and they will be in Cleveland on Feb 7 @ the Beachland. GO SEE THEM!

And...if you want to watch their full show at KEXP:

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/13/19 05:25 PM
Wow! I really liked the Heartbreaker piece. I've never heard of them before. It was all good, but I really loved the bass. I'm kind of rudimentary when it comes to such things. LOL

I'm going to check out more of their stuff tonight when I sit down to chill.

I like coming on here and being turned on to new stuff. I don't like all the additions, but it's cool to listen to new things and to find some new music to incorporate into your playlists. And I really enjoy just talking w/folks w/out all the bickering and drama.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/13/19 09:10 PM
amen.
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/14/19 01:00 AM
I'm surprised we haven't seen any Phish in these threads!

Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/14/19 01:25 AM
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
I'm surprised we haven't seen any Phish in these threads!

Are Phish "off the beaten path"? They are pretty huge within the Grateful Dead/Jam Band fan base. But, they still play & sell out massive venues.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/14/19 02:41 AM
Just slightly off the path... but sitting right in the pocket.
If you are going to cover a classic, you'd better bring game.

I'll just leave this here without saying anything else.
Enjoy.

*edit* view in fullscreen

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/14/19 02:47 AM
Wow! That was fun. Big, Bad, and Bold! And that solo at around the 3:00 mark was sweet.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/14/19 02:57 AM
Not sure why, but this song popped into my mind after listening to your addition.

Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/14/19 03:07 AM
I love both the Living Colour and Rage ATM covers with brass! Thanks Clem & Vers.

I saw a band from New Orleans years ago at the Portland blues festival called 'Bonerama'. Yeah, hilarious name and fun pun as they were/are a trombone heavy band who play originals as well as unique brass takes on rock tunes. Their take on Sabbath's 'War Pigs' blew me away! Here's a vid of them doing it...not from the Portland gig I saw, but this was essentially what they sounded like. I thought you gents might dig this!

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/14/19 03:19 AM
That was cool. I was never a Metal Head, but I still loved Sabbath and War Pigs is a great song. That was pretty amazing what those guys did w/that song.

Hey PDX, since you like Rage Against the Machine, I figured I would ask you if you like this, as well?

Posted By: VarmintKong Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/14/19 06:23 AM
[quote=Versatile Dog]
Hey Vamint...
I have a feeling you may not have heard of her (Melody Gardot)and will enjoy her music...

...She was also hit by a SUV while riding her bike when she was 10. She suffered brain trauma and still has to often use a cane and wear shades due to the headaches light causes her. quote]

I had never heard of her before. Thankyou for sharing. I really liked it, especially "Who will comfort me." I was practicing pool in the basement and it fit in perfectly for the tempo I was trying to establish. Perfect to just get lost in and not overthink the angles.

I also like that you included some backstory. When I hear I need a break; troubles been weighing me down, it help me realize there is weight behind the words.

Have you heard this one yet:

I post the lyrics because I know you dig that.

Some Lessons
Melody Gardot
Well I'm buckled up inside
It's a miracle that I'm alive
I do not think I can survive
On bread and wine alone
To think that I could have fallen
A centimeter to the left
Would not be here to see the sunset
Or have myself a time

Well why do the hands of time
So easily unwind

Some lessons we learn the hard way
Some lessons don't come easy
That's the price we have to pay
Some lessons we learn the hard way
They don't come right off and write easy
That's why they say some lessons learned we learn the hard way

Remember the sound of the pavement
World turned upside down
City streets unlined and empty
Not a soul around
Life goes away in a flash
Right before your eyes
If I…

Posted By: VarmintKong Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/14/19 06:37 AM
Listening to Melody Gardot got me in the mood for some old school acoustic blues guitar. It's a crying shame that more of their legacies weren't recorded. This song has one jammin' groove. Folks who listened to Clapton Unplugged beyond Tears in Heaven and Layla will recognize this one:
Posted By: VarmintKong Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/14/19 07:26 AM
Looking at the rest of this thread from the last week and it seems that Gardot resonates with a lot of us. Thanks to Bone for the article.

Eve, I would like to apologize for my poor choice of wording in my response to you. Of course I am aware that you are a woman, I did not consider your gender when I began my response with "dude." I know from similar mistakes with my wife and sister that girls do not like to be called dude. I was reminded today of the power our words possess and I didn't mean for my words to hurt you. I will do my best not to make the same mistake again. Except regarding my sister, I like to give her a rough time.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/14/19 01:52 PM
Glad you enjoyed Miss Gardot, Kong. I haven't heard Some Lessons yet. Thanks for sharing. Good stuff!
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/14/19 02:45 PM

Hey PDX, since you like Rage Against the Machine, I figured I would ask you if you like this, as well?

I too am not into metal. Although, my first record was Kiss Alive! and I had a brief period in my early teens where I liked a lot of those bands, but I was never an angry teen so a lot of that stuff didn't do much for me and it was a brief phase in my life. However, I do greatly respect Sabbath and I did love RATM's 1st album when it came out as it spoke with a brutal honesty and it's anger felt so authentic compared to the cheesy theatrics of a lot of metal (goofy Norse or Tolkien imagery, wizards, death etc.). The power of RATM just sliced through that other crap and kicked serious butt and put it all to shame. I still own it and occasionally play it when I want to clear the cobwebs.

Regarding Tool, again, a name I am familiar with but I don't believe I have ever knowingly listened to them. Saying that...I dig brass with a bit of edge and the above tune is pretty cool. I am fairly confident when I say that I would probably prefer it over the original.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/14/19 02:49 PM
I feel pretty much the same way. I liked what the sax player was doing in this version and the singer was a bit more edgy/angry.

I can only take this type of music in small doses if you know what I mean. LOL
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/14/19 04:00 PM

I have kinda immersed myself into Melody.

Headset on watching live performances. There is not much that I don't find moving.

She is a rare talent. Her songs grab you. Her versions of songs that she covers add a new dimension to the song.

Because - the Beatles
Over the Rainbow.
La Vie en Rose

"Some Lessons" is an amazing piece.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/14/19 06:30 PM
Have you listened to Sweet Memory? Here is a link if you haven't.

Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/14/19 07:36 PM

I have heard the song. But in a different way.

I have noticed that she will sing the same song in many different versions. She did a song acapella with just finger cymbals and her high heel. Totally cool.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/14/19 07:49 PM

Clem. Curious about your take on Melody Gardot.

The live AVO Sessions give a real feel for being there live. Watch and listen with headphones.

Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/14/19 08:32 PM
I'm a fan.

In fact, Vers & I have discussed her in PM's.

From one of our PM's (apologies, Vers- but I figured you wouldn't mind):

Quote:
Thanks.
These are very nice. Very nice indeed.

Every year in Spring, we get a questionnaire: what pieces would you like to see performed? What guest artists would you like us to invite? That sort of thing. It's how I got to meet Al Jarreau years ago.

I've liked this gal since you first dropped her name.

I'll certainly add her name to the questionnaire.

Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/14/19 09:04 PM

Although I never played an instrument I have been around music and musicians most of my life.

I have always listened to music. It is a huge part of who I am.

I was exposed to jazz early in life. Best friends brother went to Boston Berklee School of Music. He played baritone sax with Buddy Rich. So I got to know a bunch of jazz musicians in my early teens. Got to hang out with older guys who we thought were way too cool.

It really left a impression on me. I never lost interest. Just migrated to all kinds of music.

I have listened to all the great female vocalists.

Melody is right there. She has rare talent.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/14/19 11:58 PM
Jazz is The S#izznitt

It can be as simple as 12-bar Blues, and as sophisticated as works by Ornette Coleman and Paul/Carla Bley.

Listening to Jazz no doubt opened your ears to most anything else out there, no matter how exotic or off-the-path. It is my art form of choice when seeking my own pastime.

Got a private student who just began his grad studies at Berklee/BostCon. He's intimidated a little bit. but totally geeked to be there. Just talked to him yesterday. I've known him since hewas 11 years old. Very satisfying to see them fly successfully from the nest.

thumbsup
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/15/19 12:31 AM
Speaking of jazz and musicians off the beaten path, here Matthew Shipp is very interesting. He makes a comment about jazz is becoming very academic and that people need more wisdom and less knowledge, which in and of itself is brilliant. I think this guy somewhat embodies improvisational jazz. Most of his videos are longer, but this one is fairly short. Have a listen.

Shoot. I thought this one was only 7 min. It's longer. Sorry. Maybe just check out the first part?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/15/19 01:16 AM
Man, check out these guys. I clicked on them because they were on the same YouTube page as the Shipp video and I decided to give them a try. This is very good.

Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/15/19 02:30 AM

When the mood hits I love to watch:

Jazz. The Ken Burns documentary. I love to listen to those who played behind Billie describe the time.

Love to hear Wynton Marsalis talk about Louis Armstrong.

The stories behind Bird. Some of the film of the greats in that documentary. I go crazy for that all that. There is a deep richness to the quality.

I can not count even to myself the number of times I have listened to Kind of Blue. I still have an original vinyl.

When the Beatles and Stones first arrived and all the great music that followed I moved away from jazz. And then came back many years later.

Now with the digital format and availability from Spotify and other sources I am all over the place. It is so cool to able to think of a song and there it is to listen too.

I have found myself going back to musicians that I not have listened to in ages. Guys like Jimmy Smith, Brother Jack McDuff, and Horace Silver.

Accessibility is a great thing.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/18/19 03:38 PM
There’s a funk/acid jazz band called Galactic. Been around for awhile. Great live show.
They’re about to drop a new album and are priming the pump by ‘leaking’ a couple tracks. This is a collaborative effort with a different vocalist. Pretty different sounding from their past efforts but I dig it.

Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/18/19 11:55 PM
Another Galactic. I’m digging this one more.

Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/19/19 12:51 AM
So it’s friday. I’m in the mood to share more music. Not like the browns are playing this weekend. So...

This is Odesza. Generally on the ‘girly’ side for my daily listening but they’ve got a few songs that have heart and some have a beat I can get behind. This one is more heart than beat.
I caught them at a festival this past summer. They put on a good live show. The girls in our group sang along to most of the songs. As were most of the other girls in the crowd. It was a fun night.

This is a good video of them live... background singers, string section, horns, etc.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/19/19 02:17 AM
Another Shel Silverstein fan, I see.

Take a moment, and look up his poem "The Devil and Billy Markham."

Published in 1979, it first appeared in Playboy magazine.

Classic Shel: funny, pithy, homespun... and with a great ending.

I'd link it here, but then I'd probably spend some time in 'banned camp.' Because: Shel, you know?
wink
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/19/19 03:11 AM
I have never heard of this guy.

He was on the side of what I was listening too.

But his dude can play guitar.

Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/22/19 05:26 AM

Ry Cooder has been around a long time. Most of that time he was a studio slide guitar player. I have no idea of who knows him. But he played with everybody. Stones, Dylan, and on and on. He also has always just done his own thing.

Here our two songs one from early and one now.

Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/22/19 05:29 AM
Ry Cooder today still doing it.

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/22/19 04:47 PM
j/c

T-Bone Burnett

Posted By: Tyler_Derden Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/24/19 03:14 AM

nrtu

I got this mixtape at a Jurassic 5 show many years ago.....they only pressed like 6000 copies initially...

There were 2 sides, but I couldn't find both on youtube, so I just posted the full length video....nearly an hour of awesome sampling work.....

This was literally the prize of my music collection for years....If you're into DJ Shadow or Cut Chemist, definitely take the time to listen to this all the way through, its long, I know.....but just an incredible production....plz take the time to cheick it out....

-TD

ps.....you're welcome......to anyone who gets it, digs it,,and thinks damn.....how have I never heard of this before....

And if you don't think its your kind of thing.....just give it ten minutes of your time.....
Posted By: Tyler_Derden Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/24/19 10:42 PM
There’s a funk/acid jazz band called Galactic. Been around for awhile. Great live show.
They’re about to drop a new album and are priming the pump by ‘leaking’ a couple tracks. This is a collaborative effort with a different vocalist. Pretty different sounding from their past efforts but I dig it.

When I was working at that venue back in the early 2000's, Galactic was a band that came through at least twice a year...….it was always a great show.....Another cool band that I'm pretty sure hails from the same city; JJ Grey and the Mofro's, my gf turned me onto them awhile back.....

Here's another group off the beaten path that I dig.....Lucero....

Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/24/19 11:32 PM
Of course everyone knows Jerry Garcia from the Dead. But Jerry also collaborated with others inclusing a great mandolin player named David Grisman.

Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/25/19 12:46 AM
Every Garcia Grisman album is amazing. My favorite being the self tiled one the song you posted is on. Great album. There’s some breath taking playing on that album. The song, Arabia, is 16 minutes of jaw dropping talent on display.
Posted By: Tyler_Derden Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/25/19 01:00 AM
When it comes to the dead, I can only get into their live stuff....dicks picks....and my favorite dbl disc Europe 72
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/25/19 01:14 AM
I heard a interview with Jerry about Arabia.

He said it was hard for him because it was a very structured disciplined composition.

But those around him said David Grisman was his soul brother. It is easy to understand that because of Jerry's roots.

One thing is clear though great musicians can find that groove with others and Jerry and David were made to play together.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/25/19 01:17 AM

The Dead covered so much ground over such a long time. There is plenty for all to pick and choose.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/25/19 01:22 AM
Originally Posted By: Tyler_Derden
When it comes to the dead, I can only get into their live stuff....dicks picks....and my favorite dbl disc Europe 72

Try the album Live Dead. It’s more loose than Europe but man there’s some great energy and grooves to be explored on that album if you give it a try.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/25/19 06:26 PM

Off the beaten path. I don't know.

I have been a Tom Waits fan for over 30 years. He is one of the most creative musicians I have ever seen or heard.

Here is an early piece.

Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/25/19 06:29 PM

This is a later song by Tom.

Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/31/19 12:05 AM
This is group that’s pretty known on the west coast and Hawaiian islands. Not sure about the Midwest. The end of this song, from about 4:57 on, has been in commercials. So it’s likely you’ve heard it in the background at some point. Now you’ll know the artist.
A quick intro to Nahko and Medicine for the People.
Nahko is the singer songwriter for the band, and the primary ‘actor’ in the attached video. The album that this song comes off of, Dark as Night, released in 2013, kinda tells his story. If you’re interested look it up his background. A mixed race kid with a rough start from the word go. It’s pretty hard story. Follow this if you’re interested... https://www.hamhigh.co.uk/etcetera/music...yself-1-4629174
In opposition to this, his music is primarily uplifting. At times bordering on spiritual. Even when the topics he’s speaking to are dark. There’s some real heart throughout that entire album.
Anyway... kind of an island song to make all you suffering through the frigid temps remember the warm. What a beautiful life. I Mua.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/31/19 12:56 AM

One of my best high school friends played for Buddy Rich. So we used to go see him play when ever possible. If you think you have ever seen a good drummer and you never saw Buddy play. Check this out from beginning to end.

Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/31/19 02:39 AM
He was one of my heroes growing up. Man, I loved it when he would go on the Tonight Show. He made me become a drummer in school ..... but I think that I could have practiced for 100 years and never even started to approach his level of speed and precision. crazy
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/31/19 03:52 PM

I was maybe two arm lengths away from him when he did that exact solo.

I was telling John Shirino a drummer who played behind Wayne Newton about how he did the ending. Completely sick.

It was like watching a hummingbird's wings. I would think any drummer who had not seen him and then did would feel like burning his sticks.

I have watched guys like Max Roach, Joe Morello, Grady Tate, Philly Joe Jones. All masters. But nobody could solo like Buddy.

He had a huge ego and rightfully so. He was also great inside a band no matter the size or type of composition.

You just have to be born that way to have that type fast twitch muscles, timing, coordination etc.

You watch that it feels like your eyes are lying.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/31/19 10:07 PM
Okay, to take this thread back to ‘off the beaten path’ from the well known Tom Waits’ and Buddy Rich’s of the world, no offense bone, here’s a singer songwriter name John Moreland.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/31/19 10:50 PM

Honestly, I don't know what some folks know.

I didn't mean to get off base.

I just threw a Buddy solo in there because it was so cool and felt most younger people would have no idea who he was.

Waits, I would not consider main stream but yes he is not obscure either.
Posted By: FATE Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/31/19 10:53 PM

The buddy solo was the most BA thing I've seen on here. Was never more than a name to me before I watched that.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 01/31/19 11:45 PM
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Honestly, I don't know what some folks know.

I didn't mean to get off base.

I just threw a Buddy solo in there because it was so cool and felt most younger people would have no idea who he was.

Waits, I would not consider main stream but yes he is not obscure either.

All good. And you’re correct you never know who others’ know. I knew of Buddy and Tom. Buddy was a monster. I’m not much a fan of Tom’s music. He’s a musical and vocal Thorazine drip. Lyrically he’s a great storyteller.
In the same genre I much prefer John Hiatt. A similarly great lyricist with a better voice.

I wouldn’t consider John Hiatt off the beaten path. But who knows what others’ know.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 02/01/19 01:07 AM

Mind boggling is it not?

So funny I saw some list of what somebody called the top 10 drummers. Buddy was not even on the list. I just laughed.

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 02/01/19 01:31 AM
More than a couple of you liked Miss Melody Gardot. I'm not saying this girl is as good as the divine Gardot, but she is similar in several respects. Don't be too harsh w/your initial judgement and let it linger for awhile. She isn't well-known at all, but I think she is pretty dame good.

Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 02/01/19 01:40 AM
Jeff Buckley. American singer songwriter that sadly didn’t live long enough to get the acclaim he deserved. He drowned in 1997 while swimming in a river. He was only 30 years old.
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 02/01/19 03:01 AM
Jeff Buckley. American singer songwriter that sadly didn’t live long enough to get the acclaim he deserved. He drowned in 1997 while swimming in a river. He was only 30 years old.

AND, son of Tim Buckley, who also died way too soon and who released some wonderful albums.

I have a story about Jeff Buckley....In the early 90s I lived in Albany, NY for two years and while there a buddy called me up and said his friend, who is a musician, was in town from NYC and he wanted to introduce him to me. They came over, we listened to some of my records, drank beer and talked about music. Eventually the conversation turned to him and he said he was a bassist and had just finished recording an album with a guy named "Jeff Buckley" and that he had a cassette on him taken from the masters and would play it for me if I was interested. That evening we listened to the entire 'Grace' album before it was released to the world and I was nearly in tears with how astonishing it was/is. I told him I had never heard of Jeff and he just looked at me, smiled, took a swig of his beer and said...."You will".

I moved to London later that summer/early fall and the name "Jeff Buckley" was all over the British music press and standing next to Jeff in the many photos was also Mick, the same guy who was in my apartment and who played me 'Grace' before others had heard it. He was right...I did end up hearing about him and so did many, many other people around the world.

I have since picked up several of his dad's records too. Well worth checking out. At times eccentric and odd, but very, very good. 'Starsailor' is my favorite from Tim.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 02/01/19 03:22 AM

Music has always been simple to me. You either like it or you don't.

It can cross all kinds of time and genre's.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 02/01/19 03:25 AM

Interesting she is good. I will listen to more. Similar but Melody just grabs me.

Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 02/01/19 03:39 AM
I would not consider myself a country music fan. But there are songs and artists that I like.

Gram Parsons is one that I like. Again some may know him. I don't know. He died very young 27 but he left a mark.

I always liked this song that he wrote about his mother who died when he was young.

Posted By: BCbrownie Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 02/01/19 08:51 PM
You guys need to drink more beer.

The Sick Bed of Cuchulainn-The Pogues
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 02/02/19 12:06 PM
I liked how Buddy incorporated striking the mic into the body of the composition.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 02/02/19 01:50 PM
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie

You’re right, I’d need to be drunk to enjoy the Pogues. Very, very drunk.
tongue
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 02/02/19 02:45 PM

tongue

Or, you would have to be a dentist! thumbsup

Shane MacGowan has THE gnarliest teeth, EVER!
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 02/02/19 02:47 PM
I would not consider myself a country music fan. But there are songs and artists that I like.

Gram Parsons is one that I like. Again some may know him. I don't know. He died very young 27 but he left a mark.

I always liked this song that he wrote about his mother who died when he was young.

Excellent call bone! Excellent.

I too am not a country fan, but when I do listen I tend to go for hippie west coast country like Gram as well. I don't consider it country, however. Instead I think of it "Cosmic American Music".
Posted By: BCbrownie Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 02/02/19 05:27 PM
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan

tongue

Or, you would have to be a dentist! thumbsup

Shane MacGowan has THE gnarliest teeth, EVER!

Another side effect of over indulgence of cocaine.
And getting drunk with the Pogues is kinda the point.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 02/02/19 05:32 PM

The harmony between Gram and Emmylou Harris on songs like "Love Hurts" from the Angel album is unreal.

They were magic together.

His death was a shame. There is a story there. His wishes were to be cremated and ashes spread in Joshua Tree National Monument. His step father made arrangements to be buried in Louisiana. His friends stole his body and took to it Joshua Park. Poured gallons of gas on the coffin. What remained ended up in a Louisiana graveyard.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 02/05/19 02:13 AM
j/c

The thread subject is 'off the beaten path.' OK. I can do that.

This is so cool.
LMC(lassical)AO,
Clemmy
rofl

The hidden joke at 2:12... American composer John Cage 'wrote' a piece entitled '4:33' ('Four Minutes, Thirty-three Seconds'), wherein the performer is instructed to make no sounds on their instrument. The premise it that the most minimalist form of composing controlled only the length of performance. The 'music' was produced from ambient sounds in the hall- for 4 minutes, thirty-three seconds.

But yeah... this is def not on the interstate of mainstream. wink
Posted By: Tyler_Derden Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 02/08/19 01:28 AM
If you don't know El-P.....now you do...…

And if you do know El-P.....but didn't know of his short work with Camu Tao (RIP....Cancer) Central Services......they did this tiny lp Forever Frozen in Television Time....hard to find.....but great....kinda unclassifiable greatness.....

Maybe another day I'll post some Girltalk...if you don't know...

Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 02/09/19 05:33 AM

these brothers lay it down.
some of the baddest grooves you'll ever hear.

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 02/09/19 07:44 PM
j/c

Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 02/15/19 09:40 PM

I know Leon Redbone may not be for some but I have always liked this guy. I saw him a few times and loved it.

Classic song done by many but somehow he seems to do it the way it was meant.

Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 02/16/19 03:14 AM

Again I apologize if this is well known.

But when I want to play a something and play it to blow my ears off this is one I like loud.

Posted By: BCbrownie Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 02/16/19 05:52 PM
Odd you should bring this to light.
I saw he and his band(not the Velvet Underground)preform this at CBGB years ago.For along time I would tell people that everyone on stage that night,except for Lou Reed,is dead.That story changed a few years ago.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 02/16/19 07:57 PM

For a few months I lived directly across the street from cbgb's.

I used sit in the bay window and watch people go into that joint. It was when Talking Heads used to play there.

People with all kinds of holes in there faces and crazy dyed hair. Punk to the max.

The guitar duo in the Intro to Sweet Jane is dyno-mite.

Lou had his thing and didn't blink about being anyone but him.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 02/19/19 02:50 AM
I am kinda of out of touch as far as what is known and or popular.

I like some of the music of this band and the video's.

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 02/19/19 03:44 AM
This is one of the finest pieces I have ever heard and it's on many of my playlists. Alvin Lee is the guy who is "off the beaten path," but George Harrison plays slide guitar on this smoking number.

The sad thing is that both have passed, but this great song will live forever. Oh, and dudes........stay w/it because it kinda starts off slow, but some of the riffs that come later are freaking amazing.

Posted By: Tyler_Derden Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 02/22/19 02:02 AM
had to share......here...

Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 02/22/19 03:55 AM
Derden:
Dude... I'm still in your debt for hipping me to this guy. 'None Shall Pass' made me lose my [*].

And this flow: "One, two, three- that's the speed of the seed..."
...is just fantastic.

Makes me wish I'd known Lucy. Dude's serious skill set allowed him to tell an entire life story (with detail and nuance) in under 5 minutes. That's prodigious talent.

yeah- Aesop Rock.
Dude IS 'The Bar.'
Posted By: Tyler_Derden Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 02/22/19 08:46 PM
When I bought an ep of his...."Fast cars, Danger, Knives," or something like that.....it came with a book that contained all the lyrics to his entire song catalogue.....I never realized how deep he got with a lot of his stuff....it was eye-opening....

This video just reminded me of that and I had to share it....

Thanks for the nod....
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 02/22/19 09:02 PM
This is one of the finest pieces I have ever heard and it's on many of my playlists. Alvin Lee is the guy who is "off the beaten path," but George Harrison plays slide guitar on this smoking number.

Alvin Lee was the guitarist from British blues band, Ten Years After. Probably best known for their barnstorming performance of "I'm Going Home" at Woodstock. Their first couple records are standard white boy blues, but they released a couple really great albums after Woodstock where they find their own identity and take it beyond the obvious 12 bar blues. I actually saw a reunited Ten Years After at the Akron Agora in 1986 (?) and Alvin could still smoke on the guitar. Sadly he passed a couple years ago.

He also recorded a pretty amazing LP with Mylon Le Fevre called 'On The Road To Freedom'. The whole album is pretty fantastic and well worth picking up. Still very cheap and easy to find. You shouldn't have to pay more than $5 for original copies of it.

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 02/23/19 12:38 AM
Awesome. Thanks for the heads-up.

I didn't realize he was w/Ten Years After. I liked some of their stuff.

I have been listening to The Bluest Blues for quite awhile now and I marvel at how good Lee is on that song. It's one of those songs that has guitar playing that unseat multiple emotions. It's a damn shame he passed away so early.

I will check out the On the Road to Freedom album. Thanks for the heads-up.
Posted By: Tyler_Derden Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 02/23/19 08:10 PM
Have you heard this new stuff...

"The Uncluded"

"My heart started with a quarter.."
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/07/19 02:57 AM
I love this guy's stuff.
Some of the densest content out there.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/08/19 12:54 AM
Skip Ewing.

He is more of a writer these days, penning quite a few country hits.

This is a song while he was a performing artist. One I listen to quit often for inspiration...

Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/08/19 04:27 AM
That was very nicely done.

There is a real craft behind building a song like this, and not every artist is capable.

The best songs are compact, heartfelt, and tell a good story.

It's incredibly difficult to do. Even more difficult to do it well. This joint hit all the right notes.

This guy is very good at what he does. Quite impressive.
Posted By: VarmintKong Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/09/19 06:07 AM
Tyler, Thanks for sharing Aesop Rock. Pretty cool of you to share the video explaining the depth of his repertoire. I like a view into others perspectives; it gives me a starting point in finding common ground to relate to.

I liked None Shall Pass, but that song is cursed with a bad beat. I start to tap my foot, but it never works it's way up and gets the back of my brain buzzing. It reminds me of the Redman line, "If I have a beat that's whack, I'm gonna sell it to ya." Dang shame, it takes away from an otherwise kicking jam.

I realized I'd heard Rings from my nieces. I like that, though it might be the more of his mainstream songs.
Posted By: VarmintKong Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/09/19 06:33 AM
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Another Shel Silverstein fan, I see.

Take a moment, and look up his poem "The Devil and Billy Markham."

Published in 1979, it first appeared in Playboy magazine.

Classic Shel: funny, pithy, homespun... and with a great ending.

I'd link it here, but then I'd probably spend some time in 'banned camp.' Because: Shel, you know?
wink

Sorry for the late reply. I had never read this before.

Read with my wife a few weeks ago. I love the part where our hero has a showdown for heaven with "God". When he arrives at the match lined up by the Scuzz, God is shooting pool. He explains that on the seventh day that is how he gets down; "Straight pool for heaven."

That part of the story really got my wife and I into a serious debate. "God" is unmasked as the devil, Scuzz is revealed to be the devil as well, and BIlly is warned not to look to closely at himself or he might not like what he sees. My wife took this as Shel saying that there is no God or Devil, but our collective choices and actions that create good and evil. I was raised a good Catholic, so I immediately thought that it was just the devil deceiving Billy all along; God would never scratch.

Thanks so much for sharing! I never would have thought Shel Silverstein had so many faces when I was reciting Boa Constictor in front of my 1st grade classmates.
Posted By: VarmintKong Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/09/19 06:50 AM
Portland, Galactic jams. I feel like everything you bring to the table brings hope and love. Even better your a fisherman. I'll probably never make it out to the pacific northwest, but if you're ever back in Ohio I would love to fish Steelhead on the Rocky River with you; with your mentality I would have a good time even if we didn't catch a dawg-gone thing.

I'm digging this tune. Crescendos have to fall, but a good horn section goes a long way.
Posted By: VarmintKong Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/09/19 07:01 AM
Us Ohio boys might be familiar with Jonathan Edwards. The Shanty should be on every jukebox in Ohio. However, its the only song of his you'll hear (except Sunshine which sucks). Our wedding party walked down the aisle to Train of Glory. I love the lines:

Here come doctor I'ma gonna ask you once again, didn't you leave Ohio with a heavy load of friends. He said yes boy when we left the station your friends were on board, but West Virginia was all they could afford.

Posted By: VarmintKong Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/09/19 07:11 AM
PDX, I thought I was tired until I listened to Down North. I gotta a little life left in me just TURN ME LOOSE! Wish I would've seen this in time to check out a show. I gotta get out more. Good call on the Eddie Hazel, by the way. Make my funk the P-Funk, I wants to get funked up!
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/09/19 07:46 AM
Quote:
Make my funk the P-Funk, I wants to get funked up!

You likes yo' funk uncut, I see-

thumbsup
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/09/19 03:22 PM
Portland, Galactic jams. I feel like everything you bring to the table brings hope and love. Even better your a fisherman. I'll probably never make it out to the pacific northwest, but if you're ever back in Ohio I would love to fish Steelhead on the Rocky River with you; with your mentality I would have a good time even if we didn't catch a dawg-gone thing.

I'm digging this tune. Crescendos have to fall, but a good horn section goes a long way.

[video:youtube][/video]

Thanks. I listen to a ton of music. It’s my reprieve from my very heavy, very real work I do for my career. I see enough sadness and hopelessness and such in my 9 to 5 that I use music to counter the heaviness of it all. With that most of what I listen to is upbeat, hopeful, and in general uplifting. I did the morose, heavy, ‘dark’ stuff in my 20’s. In my 40’s I want an escape from all that. Though I’ll occasionally listen to Tool or whatnot.
My tastes are pretty diverse. So thankfully I have a huge slice of the musical pie to choose from. Hip hop, jam bands, funk, bluegrass, electronica, and much that falls in between.
I just know when I turn on my stereo my goal is to come away in a better mental, emotional, and spiritual place than when I started.

These are the types of messages I’m trying to ‘inject’ into my psyche.

Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/09/19 04:34 PM
Then there’s crossovers like this... bluegrass/electronica... Moontricks.

Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/09/19 07:20 PM
PDX, I thought I was tired until I listened to Down North. I gotta a little life left in me just TURN ME LOOSE! Wish I would've seen this in time to check out a show. I gotta get out more. Good call on the Eddie Hazel, by the way. Make my funk the P-Funk, I wants to get funked up!

Yeah man, shame you missed them when they were in Cleveland and touring. But, they will no doubt come back around. We went to a local jazz bar here in town and they opened for the band we paid to see as headliner and they BLEW them away. We left much more excited about Down North than the headliners. So good. The singer has some moves, that's for sure.

Regarding funk, I absolutely love original black funk that has soul, grit, and a bit of down home truth to it. I actually struggle with white funk music as it seems void of honest, raw, deep from the gut, soul (imho).
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/10/19 01:22 AM
Speaking of Funk.........I have a new [well, I've been wanting to do this one for over a year] idea for a Music thread. I am going to PM you and Portland and ask you a question about it. I'd love to hear input from both of you before I start the thread. Let me know in the PM and I'll start the thread.

I actually asked you two multiple questions.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/10/19 04:05 AM
Originally Posted By: ohio1974
I like this one:
Rachel Platten - Fight Song

Here is a nice cover (IMO), Scottish style.

Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/10/19 04:08 AM
One of my new favorite groups. The do a lot of covers...very well. Here's an original.

Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/10/19 04:24 AM
Another of my favorites, Steve'n'Seagulls. A group of Finnish guys who cover heavy metal songs, blue grass style.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/10/19 04:49 AM
And one more...While Post Modern Jukebox is outstanding, the real gem here is Morgan James, the smoking blonde with the powerful voice. If you do a YouTube search you can find a large number of Morgan's songs. I saw her in Akron and got my picture with her.

(The last woman to sing is Ariana Savalas...Telly's daughter.)
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/11/19 12:32 AM

I bet that band is fun to see live.

I like entertainers. The music fits the group.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/11/19 12:44 PM
I pointed out Morgan James above. It's hard for me to pick out a favorite of her videos, there are so many. Here's "Fooled Around And Fell In Love"

Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/11/19 03:21 PM

I get her. She is good.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/14/19 08:58 PM
I lived in Belize for a half year or so back in the mid 70's.

Was introduced into reggae music and love it. This guy is a reggae guy Kenya, Rocky Dawuni.

Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/14/19 09:02 PM
Before the Clash did "Police and Thieves".

There was Junior Mervin.

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/15/19 12:54 AM
Big fan of Reggae myself.

I know he is popular, so I won't play his stuff on this thread, but I love me some Bob Marley.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/16/19 05:06 PM

I have a big collection of reggae.

It all started for me with the sound track for the movie:

The Harder They Come. Staring Jimmy Cliff.

After that album I was hooked. Marley was amazing. Reggae just moves your body. Pure rhythm.

Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/16/19 05:08 PM
Dawn Penn.

Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/16/19 09:56 PM

I have a big collection of reggae.

It all started for me with the sound track for the movie:

The Harder They Come. Staring Jimmy Cliff.

After that album I was hooked. Marley was amazing. Reggae just moves your body. Pure rhythm.

I’m a big fan of the band Culture.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/17/19 12:17 AM

I know them. They are old school.

This guy wails.

Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/17/19 01:51 AM
Third World

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/17/19 02:03 AM
Hey guys............listen to this song and tell me if you can hear the reggae song that has a similar beat?

Posted By: VarmintKong Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/24/19 08:13 AM
Gotta admit, I was wondering where is the beat; slow starter. Once it started, I had a feeling like it was on the tip of my tongue, but couldn't quite place it. I was standing back absentmindedly chalking up my cue and trying to visualize a shot line when I just started singing, "We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game -
Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord.
We know when we understand:
Almighty God is a living man.
You can fool some people sometimes,
But you can't fool all the people all the time.
So now we see the light
We gonna stand up for our rights!"
Right after the horns started to kick in on the last part. Wish I could say I nailed the shot, but it was a nice moment of recognition anyway.

Thanks for the listen. Gives me an idea for a comparison as well.
Posted By: VarmintKong Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/24/19 08:17 AM
We all know Gallows Pole:

Posted By: VarmintKong Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/24/19 08:34 AM
When I was about 12, my friend and I decided we were going to panhandle out by the bus stop. We set out or hat and proceeded to play some horrible music that nobody heard, since there wasn't a soul around. Some dude drove by smiling with his head hanging out the window of his pickup.

He stopped and asked us what we were doing. We gave him our line about how we were bluesmen trying to earn our way back home. He looked down at my beat up hand me down guitar and asked if I knew how to play anything. I did my best to play Clapton's version of "Malted Milk."

When I finished he told me to wait there and he'd be back in a half hour. This guy stopped whatever the heck he was doing that day and drove to his house three towns away to bring me two cassette tapes. One was entitled acoustic blues and one was electric blues. I asked him how I was supposed to return them to him. He asked if I knew Joel (so and so). I said yeah, and he just told me to give them to Joel when I was done with them.

Joel never got those tapes back. I wore those suckers out, especially the acoustic tape. There was a version of "Gallows Pole" on there that blew my mind. This isn't exactly it, but as close as I can get:

It's a slow starter, but worth it.

Posted By: VarmintKong Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/24/19 08:44 AM
I had a Bob Dylan 3 disc set called "The Bootleg Series." The first disc is amazing; listen to "Last Thoughts on Woodie Guthrie," but the second disc has a gem called "Seven Curses."

Listen to this and tell me it's not a variation of Gallows Pole:
Posted By: VarmintKong Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/24/19 09:01 AM
So many of these songs were just part of a common consciousness that can't be reserved by rights. When you share something with others that you want them to relate to in a very personal manner you don't get to dictate how they relate to it. Despite your intended meaning.

I'll lighten it up some. I'm a firm believer that there isn't enough fishing music in the world. This song dates back to the 20's. Taj Mahal is best known for it:

Her's my favorite version. It's just some random guy jammin' it out. I think he might me a painter because he's got it smudged on his pants. Regardless, he can play. I change some of the words, but you better believe I'm singing this when my wife and I are motoring down to the honey-hole looking to catch our limit and steal a moment together:

"Here's how my baby cook them fish."
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/24/19 10:11 AM
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 03/24/19 03:20 PM
Posted By: bonefish Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 04/08/19 09:50 PM

Just heard this girl today for the first time. I liked.

Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 08/15/19 10:15 PM
My wife & I went and saw this band last night and I am not exaggerating when I say this...I have honestly probably seen 1000+ gigs and this may well have been the greatest of them all. I went in knowing what I was going to hear, but I had no idea what I was going to witness when it came to the live experience. My god...the sheer love, joy and funky soulfulness of the grooves were infectious and mind blowing. My wife and I were BLOWN. AWAY. Like nothing I have ever seen....tears, goosebumps, exhilaration and absolute awe at watching them and being absorbed into their art. I also don't think I have EVER seen a band so honest in their conviction and their love & joy in sharing it with an audience. Honestly, words can't do them justice. Btw, War & Treaty are also a real couple....they have an amazing story behind how they met, making music and the name of their band.

This isn't a video from the Portland show I saw, but it captures them enough to share with you all somewhat of their live experience, but I will be honest....they KILLED this song last night and Tanya channeled her inner Tina Turner as they freakin' rocked the house down!

Support the arts, support live music and PLEASE...GO SEE THIS BAND! I promise that you won't be disappointed. My soul won't ever be the same...music is love.

Posted By: AZBrown Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 08/15/19 10:34 PM
re: The War and Treaty

I read up on them a little bit - always inspired to hear music I'm unfamiliar with.

Good song you posted.

Interesting background, those two.

Anyone who can get Emmylou Harris to sing on their album is all right with me.
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 08/15/19 11:53 PM
Originally Posted By: AZBrown
re: The War and Treaty

I read up on them a little bit - always inspired to hear music I'm unfamiliar with.

Good song you posted.

Interesting background, those two.

Anyone who can get Emmylou Harris to sing on their album is all right with me.

It was a truly Incredible gig. Next time they are in AZ you MUST see them.

Here's a CBS News story on them that came out a couple months ago: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-war-and...XAM0ss0cef2tFGE
Posted By: Tyler_Derden Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 08/16/19 12:17 AM
Posted By: Tyler_Derden Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 08/16/19 12:22 AM
Posted By: Tyler_Derden Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 08/16/19 12:25 AM
This guy is special......genuine....a solid clean break from all that repetitive....
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 08/16/19 03:31 AM
Damn, son.

Damn.
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Musicians: Off the Beaten Path - 08/16/19 02:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Damn, son.

Damn.

During the gig I actually thought of you, my friend. Our real paths may never have crossed, but your love and soul for music was on my mind, dawg!
© DawgTalkers.net