DawgTalkers.net
I like a small population of ladies and gentleman in the world I will apply colange before
I go out in public.
Everyone has their own personal choice.
Anyhow back in Xmas I bought a 4 piece sampler
Set from Macys.
The one I happened to really liked.
It's called John Varvatos Artisan Pure.
I went to Macys to buy the 4.2 ounce bottle.
The lady said we can order it for 92 dollars.
I said let me think on it.
I looked it up on the internet.
I bought it for 38.00 dollars.
So if you go buy a fragrence.
Get it off the Internet
So much cheaper.
That's a good tip there, but I've never bought aftershave or cologne in my life.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: A Consumer tip for the loyal Browns fans. - 09/02/19 11:46 PM
Those
brick and mortar stores better
watch out. Once peo
ple figure out that stuff is cheaper on the internet
they are going to
have
problems.
I cant remember the last time I went to a mall to buy something; sure, I’ll go to walk around or hang out ... but if I need something, I research and find the best deals
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I cant remember the last time I went to a mall to buy something; sure, I’ll go to walk around or hang out ... but if I need something, I research and find the best deals

This is why malls are dying and all those good mall jobs are going the way of the dinosaur... rolleyes
About the only things I go to brick and mortar for are groceries, clothing, shoes, large items that cost too much to ship, fragile items I don't trust shipping, and home improvement materials.

If it's an item I don't need to see, touch or try on, I usually find it online.

I wouldn't mind paying 5-10% more to buy it locally from a store, but in many cases it's more like 30-40% or more.

I guess that is why there are more self checkouts in store, it's more cost effective to pay 1 person to watch 4-8 checkout stations, than pay people to man individual lines.

Even McDonalds here have self ordering kiosks, although I think they have a long way to go as far as their user interface.
j/c:

I think a smart consumer explores all options before making a purchase. There are times when you can find something cheaper at the mall due to Clearance items and/or sales. You just have to comparison shop online before you decide to purchase the item you are looking for.
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
[quote=Dawgs4Life]I cant remember the last time I went to a mall to buy something; sure, I’ll go to walk around or hang out ... but if I need something, I research and find the best deals

Not your fault OCD but.....

This is why malls are dying and all those good mall jobs are going the way of the dinosaur... rolleyes

It's because of the elephant(in the room). AMAZON

In 30, 40 years Amazon will own everything.

EVERYTHING!!!

Why go to a mall? Amazon will deliver to your doorstep just about anything you need. Don't like it? Return it. They'll pick it up the next day.

We see Amazon deliv trucks in our neighborhood 4-5 times a day.

Wait till they figure out new car sales, delivery, etc, etc, etc. Just order online and most times it'll be at you front door by 4p tomorrow.

There's a reason Bezos flew past everyone by leaps and bounds in a relatively short period of time on "the world's richest" list.

Monopoly?

Very sad to look back, to see now, and to look into the future of retail storefronts. The future looks all gloom-n-doom as far as retail goes imo.

Heck. Thanks to my blushing bride I see Amazon packages at our front door a min 4 days a week. Getting to be "first name basis" wit em. thumbsup

It's too easy.
Originally Posted By: TTTDawg
[quote=Dawgs4Life]I cant remember the last time I went to a mall to buy something; sure, I’ll go to walk around or hang out ... but if I need something, I research and find the best deals

EVERYTHING!!!

Why go to a mall? Amazon will deliver to your doorstep just about anything you need. Don't like it? Return it. They'll pick it up the next day.

Wait till they figure out new car sales, delivery, etc, etc, etc. Just order online and most times it'll be at you front door by 4p tomorrow.

There's a reason Bezos flew past everyone by leaps and bounds in a relatively short period of time on "the world's richest" list.

Monopoly?

Very sad to look back, to see now, and to look into the future of retail storefronts. The future looks all gloom-n-doom as far as retail goes imo.

Heck. Thanks to my blushing bride I see Amazon packages at our front door a min 4 days a week. Getting to be "first name basis" wit em. thumbsup

It's too easy.

Omg.

Just went out to the street to bring back the G-can.

There's an Amazon pkg laying at our front door. rofl
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: A Consumer tip for the loyal Browns fans. - 09/03/19 04:58 PM
A tip, if you want to buy a product at a brick and mortar store but it is cheaper on Amazon -- show them the cheaper product on your phone and they might price match it.
Yes, I bought a state of the art TV about 2 months ago at Best Buy. They will match any competitor's price provided it isn't a third-party seller. And no one, and I mean absolutely no one, should ever purchase a large ticket item from a third party seller. I chose Best Buy over Amazon in this case because they had a special on free installation and syncing everything w/my other devices.

I will say that I buy most of items on Amazon. Tools, air filters, sunglasses, shoes, electronics, patio furniture, etc, etc. They typically have great deals, but you have to be careful and take the time to price shop as many merchants as possible.
I go to our dying mall and what is left of our brick and mortar because we know people there.
My wife and I make every effort to buy locally, although we do use internet. Many times we want to see any item, especially big ticket. Bigger the ticket, the more I want hands on, and I want eyes on in front of me.

We will comparison shop once we are comfy with the details and features we want.
I haven't been in a mall in decades, except for the Dillard's Clearance Store at the Eastwood Mall Complex years ago. Maybe that counts? Who knows? All I know is that I bought a new wardrobe with pants at around $7-$10 each, and shirts for about that, as well. (and good quality stuff, too)
I shop for clothes at the Mall. There is also a place there that fixes cell phones. I excel at cracking my screen.
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Those
brick and mortar stores better
watch out. Once peo
ple figure out that stuff is cheaper on the internet
they are going to
have
problems.

I know things are going that way. Sad to see, really. Buy the cheapest, yet people want to be paid more for what their job is.

Bought an over the stove microwave 20 years ago. From the local store - mom and pop. It was $40 or so cheaper from a big box store. I didn't care.

A year or so later, I get a letter about a recall on the microwave. It told me to remove the microwave, take it back to where you bought it, they'll ship it in, we'll fix it, then we'll ship it back to them, and they'll call you to pick it up, and then you can re-install it.

I called the store I bought it from. He asked when he could get in our house. I told him "tomorrow morning".

I got home from work the next day, microwave was still there. I called him to see what the problem was. He said "Oh, I got it this morning. Went in, uninstalled it, brought it back, fixed it, then went back to install it."

Hmmmm............$40 bucks, or service like that. Take your pick.

We buy our tv's from him, as well as had him put our dish up. Why? Local guy. And he services what he sells. For example, on big game days, he's open for service calls. Why? He knows people like to have parties, and if the tv or satellite isn't working, that's an issue.

Had a problem with our dryer couple of months ago. He came out, found what he thought was the problem, ordered a new board, came back out, installed it. Dryer worked for 4 days. Called him. He offered to bring out a used dryer he had as a replacement until he could get ours fixed. Aside from the cost of the part, which was faulty, he charged all of $100.

I'll go local anytime I can on larger purchases.

Daughter bought her textbooks on amazon.

Have a friend that wants to buy a 3/4 ton truck. He says he has a friend that has a friend that owns the biggest Chevy dealer in some state out west, and he's thinking of buying it there cause he would save several hundred dollars.

"Uh, dude............how much would it cost you to drive out there to pick it up, and who's going to drive your other vehicle home? Or, if you fly, how much would that cost you? Just buy one here."

So you can make $3 more an hour mindlessly taking things off a conveyor belt and putting them in a bin to be loaded on a truck without ever talking to anybody than you can interacting with people and learning communication and sales skills... seems like a good trade.

EVERYTHING!!!

Monopoly?

It's too easy.

Omg.

Just went out to the street to bring back the G-can.

There's an Amazon pkg laying at our front door. rofl

Unbelievable. My wife just brought in the mail from our mailbox at the street and lo and behold, another small Amazon package wrapped with the reg mail by rubberbands.

That's 2 today although I'm quite positive that isn't her 1 day record. rofl
I've been a prime member for at least 6 years, maybe longer but I can't remember exactly when. Free shipping for $10 a month rocks. I still compare prices but amazon wins about 50% of the time on the same items.
Amazon lost a bunch of stuff I order from them last November and refused to reship the lost items. I canceled my prime account and have been clean of Amazon for 9 months. Been trying to shop more at brick and mortar stores if I can, but some things you can only find online.
Posted By: Dave Re: A Consumer tip for the loyal Browns fans. - 09/03/19 11:30 PM
I was looking at a La-Z-Boy recliner on Wayfair and it was $464 with free shipping, so I went to the website for our local La-Z-Boy showroom to check the price. This store is less than 2 miles from my house. The same recliner was $499 there (on sale), and delivery was $100.
Quote:
Amazon lost a bunch of stuff I order from them last November

Posted By: GMdawg Re: A Consumer tip for the loyal Browns fans. - 09/03/19 11:37 PM
Thats when you call and tell them you will buy from them if they match the price and deliver it.
Posted By: Dave Re: A Consumer tip for the loyal Browns fans. - 09/03/19 11:55 PM
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Thats when you call and tell them you will buy from them if they match the price and deliver it.

I'll probably try that, but its hard to trust people who need to be coerced into not gouging you. Obviously, there's a lot of margin on furniture between wholesale and retail price, but the brick/mortar stores should surely be attuned to online opportunities for the consumer, and they should try to adapt beforehand if they want to survive.
If I can get it at Colony Hardware, I'm keeping my money local.

It helps Mom & Pop, keeps the money local... and keeps me in the loop with my neighbors.

I'm financially set, so I no longer have to pinch pennies. I like hanging out with the locals, because it keeps our neighborhoods connected and solid. And 75 year-old dudes can give you shortcuts/substitutions/workarounds that Home Depot employees can't even wrap their brains around.

Lloyd at Colony will take in in back and give me a hands-on clinic regarding plumbing, elec, etc. Try getting that at your Lowe's.

Spend a bit more/get a bit more.
I spent 6 years paying my State College for an education. I don't mind spending 10-15% more at my local hardware store to get my continuing ed credits.

I love Mediterranean cuisine. Kroger ain't handing that bidniss. I'm all up in the local Halal markets, the Kosher shops, and Middle East restaurants. Bezos ain't givin' me spit in this arena.

Stanley's mkt gives me the best Polish kielbasa.

K&J House of Meats will custom-cut my animal flesh, and sharpen my kitchen/chef's knives for free (next-day service/no limit).

There are still some things that cannot be replicated by Amazon. For those things that can, I'll still pay more to help my neighbors out. Bezos ain't honing my blades or showing me how to self-thread some Schedule 80 stainless pipe.

Buy a cello/bow online? Let's just tattoo "SUCKA" across your forehead. Purchase a set of high-end stereo speakers online? Dumbass. Find an online chicken Zataar blend that makes your hunny drool (and rock your world later 2night)? Please. Purchase a pice of Fine Visual Art for your home by looking at a computer screen? Silly boy. Only your hands, ears, fingers, taste buds can help you here.

The net is handy.
The net is limited.

When it comes to The Real... trust only your 5 senses. For all things superficial, feel free to make Jeff richer.

j/c:

This has turned into a rather interesting thread. Good points are being made on multiple fronts. I like that. It makes one think and it provides a deeper understanding of things when we view things from multiple perspectives.

I can see the merits of most of the arguments being made. I save money where I can and try and help the locals out when I can. One of the keys is that I talk to people. You know, like a regular guy who respects them. LOL

It's not an act. It's the way it is. Treat people w/respect and you will find that many open up and will help you. I don't care where they work at. I have had guys and gals at Lowes ignore me. I have had others who have went above and beyond to help me. People relate to genuine respect.

When I first moved into our latest house, I had no idea how to take care of our pool. It started turning green and I read a bunch of reviews and this dude comes out that used to play football and was from Ohio. I told him my situation and he actually taught me how to take care of the pool. That meant less money for him in the long run, but I write reviews for him all the time and word of mouth is important. But, I think he taught me because we just connected as brothers. You know...........when you actually listen to folks and give them real feedback on what they are saying and you are "real" w/them...........they are more likely to respond in kind. Not sure if I am articulating this properly? Probably not.

Moving on.............I do feel kinda bad that giants such as Sears and other super stores are becoming extinct. Not sure how much y'all know about history, but Sears was around during the Industrial Revolution and had a huge role in changing how Americans shopped for almost everything, including the homes they lived in. I have acted and been tough on the exterior for more years than I can count, but there is an innate sense of nostalgia, sentimentally, and romance for what was that resides deep w/in me.

Clem and others spoke of helping the local dudes and one of the ways I do that is by what eating establishments I frequent. I am not a fan of chains. I love authentic food. I love the small place that oozes w/ambience and atmosphere. I like the slight imperfections in the flooring or the walls. I love the family photos. I adore the old world music that softly fills the air. I love the murmur of the patrons instead of the shrill exclamations you hear in chains. I much prefer the dining area that more resembles my Italian grandmother's dining room/kitchen than that of a stage on some Broadway play or movie set.

I also love old world butcher shops and delis. I love going into an Italian mom and pop store where the meats are hanging from the ceiling and you can find veal cutlets that are thinner than a dime. Where the scent of untold numbers of cheeses fill the air and how Italian opera plays softly in the background while mom and pop are shouting over one topic or another. That's ambience, my friends.

So............

...If I can save $80 on a Compound Miter Saw on Amazon, I will. And if I spend a bit more on some fine food while getting to converse w/some folks that I can relate to.......so be it.
No way I buy a guitar unless I have it in my hands first.

I wouldn't order a guitar online, like, ever.
Was that response really to me, bro? Or, were you j/c?
For Clem, mostly because of his cello reference, but also for anyone.
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
No way I buy a guitar unless I have it in my hands first.

I wouldn't order a guitar online, like, ever.

It's a freakkin musical instrument, and a tactile-oriented hand tool.

It's the combination of sound, size/dimension, touch, feel, and response. It can only be evaluated in-person/hands on. No serious player would ever purchase an instrument he's never touched, manipulated or heard. Never. Not if he's serious.

My students' parents want to buy their sheet music from Amazon. I steer them elsewhere. I tell them to order their music from the same brick & mortar businesses that handle the sales of quality instruments and bows. Why?

Becacuase selling music, strings, rosin, cases, music stands, etc. keeps the doors open and the lights on.

All these salons sell a full library of sheet music, but they also fit your kid with her first starter set (sized properly- sooo important). They have qualified experts who will maintain, adjust and repair her rig in-house, while keeping her playing with a loaner. They'll help her with each new acquisition, as she grows into newly- sized instruments and playing requirements. They establish an ongoing partnership that is more than simple business transactions. They are integral members of the local arts/craftsman scene, and they are the go-to resource for a highly specialized niche market... one that never gets smaller, one that remains constant/dependable, and one that cannot get what it needs with mouse clicks or taps on a screen.

It's great.

The net is miraculous in a lot of ways... but it will never be everything.

Bezos can deliver dog toys and books to my house. He's really good at that. He can't re-hair my bow, appraise the appreciation on my 1925 Vincenzo Sannino, or recommend a new rosin formulation that will increase my bow's grab/slip quotient, without making my sound get all grainy & s#.

Internet: miraculous. World-changer. Limited.

I kinda like that I live in that space that can't be taken over by cyber. It's kind of- reassuring, you know?

#pplmakethiswork

Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
I like a small population of ladies and gentleman in the world I will apply colange before
I go out in public.
Everyone has their own personal choice.
Anyhow back in Xmas I bought a 4 piece sampler
Set from Macys.
The one I happened to really liked.
It's called John Varvatos Artisan Pure.
I went to Macys to buy the 4.2 ounce bottle.
The lady said we can order it for 92 dollars.
I said let me think on it.
I looked it up on the internet.
I bought it for 38.00 dollars.
So if you go buy a fragrence.
Get it off the Internet
So much cheaper.

I know that Facebook has got to me trolling every stinking page that I look at.

I just had a cologne ad pop up in my feed.
2 things to remember:

Sometimes a cologne will also have an after shave formula .... and it's really hard to read it on the bottle and/or box which it is. After shave is far less expensive.

Also, there are a lot of sellers who sell "smells exactly like", knockoffs with an almost identical box.

As with anything else, make sure you know what you are buying online.
I often do buy those “knock off” colognes (and other items as well) ... I see a very minimal difference most times
j/c:

I forgot the OP was about cologne. LOL

I haven't worn cologne in over 30 years.
j/c

It's a mixed bag for me. When it comes to grandchildren during the holiday season, I mostly buy online. Between the wife and I, we have nine grandchildren from 24 years old all the way down to a one year old and one great grandchild. With such a wide range in ages and interests, we would be shopping at multiple stores for days.

I am not a huge customer of Amazon however. Most of my purchases are with companies that have box stores. When it comes to clothing I would say Kohl's is probably my number one choice.

When it comes to electronics, Best Buy will match any advertised price and if something is broken or does not work upon purchasing it, you can take it back for an immediate replacement.

Amazon, for me, is more about odd or hard to find purchases. Food has been mentioned and much like Vers I prefer local and family owned places. You get to know them as people and there's just something about the ambience of local restaurants you can't get at chain restaurants.
Pit, I didn’t realize Best Buy matched like that .. I’ll keep that in mind because I do like to look at stuff in person
Best Buy Price Match Guarantee

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/help-topics...cat297300050000
Years ago, I tired to get them to price match a TV from Circuit City.

It was the exact same TV, specs etc, except, the Model Number for Circuit city was unique to Circuit City, just as the once at Best Buy was unique to them.

I was told they have to be the same model. Which was impossible under those conditions.

Not sure they still do store custom model numbers anymore. This was years ago, I was buying a 35" tube TV. smile So probably mid 90's ?
Posted By: FATE Re: A Consumer tip for the loyal Browns fans. - 09/04/19 07:20 PM
Yeah... they all still do that with the "unique" model numbers.

Bottom line though is they know they have to compete. Their prices are set for the folks who don't ask. If you do, they will use the "unique" model number but still be willing to come close to or match the internet price. Not always, but most of the time.

A lot of times they have a "preferred vendor", or one that may be offering sales incentives at the time. You may be looking at a Vizio, they'll drop the price but steer you towards a Samsung that they can come closer to matching.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: A Consumer tip for the loyal Browns fans. - 09/04/19 08:42 PM
Quote:
2 things to remember:

Oh there are more than 2 that need remembered by some people.

If others can smell you a mile away your using to much.
If others can smell you 3 blocks away your using to much.
If others can smell you before you enter the building your using to much.
If others can smell you across the room your wearing to much.
If others can smell you ten feet away your wearing to much.
If others can smell you three feet away your wearing to much.
If others can only smell it when they give you a hug or a kiss then and only then are you not wearing to much.

Yes some of us are allergic to many perfumes, Cologne, and after shaves
I haven't worn cologne since my sister gave me a bottle of Hai Karate lime maybe 55 years ago.

I liked the little card that gave you a karate move and yell over the cologne.

I do keep a bottle of Clubsman after shave. I have had the same one for maybe 10 years. It gets used if maybe I needed to change blades and got a rough shave or nicked myself. It disinfects.
Posted By: FATE Re: A Consumer tip for the loyal Browns fans. - 09/11/19 11:48 AM

Wow. Now that's a throwback. Immediately thought of the commercials...

I proudly wear Stetson cologne.

before I buy anything of significant cost in a brick and mortar, I get on my phone and see if I can get a cheaper price or cash back from one of my apps.

I don't know why, but you can actually be standing in Walmart and see something like a xbox game on the shelf and look it up on your phone and on walmart.com, it will be like 10+ dollars cheaper. I bring it up on my phone and go to the sales clerk and ask them would they prefer that they give me the online price or do i purchase it online and they walk their happy butt over and pick it of the shelf for me. They will always give me the online price
Quote:
Hai Karate

God, that mule pee stunk! Is it still around?
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:
Hai Karate

God, that mule pee stunk! Is it still around?

I have no idea. Like I said, I don't use cologne.

I buy soap from a vendor at the market who makes soap. The one I have settled on is made with whiskey. It is scented with tobacco.

She makes a beer soap and wine soap as well. Great stuff.

I know it sounds weird, but I like the tobacco. Smells great and lasts the whole day. She has maybe 75 different scented soaps. The market closes for the season in Dec, and is closed 4-5 months. I stock up to have enough to last the winter. 10-12 bars does the trick.
Wow. I didn't know they still made bar soap.
© DawgTalkers.net