DawgTalkers.net
CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus that has killed 6 in China

-Public health officials have confirmed the first U.S. case of a mysterious coronavirus that has already killed at least six people and sickened hundreds of others in China, the CDC says.

-A male traveler from China has been diagnosed in Snohomish County, Washington State with the Wuhan coronavirus, according to the CDC.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/21/cdc-to-a...nn-reports.html

willynilly
But Coronas are tasty....
NoooooOOOOO!

The World Health Organization is expected to convene a panel of experts in Geneva, Switzerland, on Wednesday to consider whether the illness should be a global health emergency.

The last time WHO declared a global health emergency was in 2019 for the Ebola outbreak willynilly in eastern Congo that killed more than 2,000 people. The agency also declared global emergencies for the 2016 Zika virus willynilly , the 2009 H1N1 swine flu and the 2014 polio and Ebola outbreaks. willynilly willynilly
Eh, Black Plague is also alive and killing people in the USA every year.

I dont think it matters until it becomes endemic.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 01/21/20 10:05 PM
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
But Coronas are tasty....

Just have a lime with it, the scurvy will stay away.
Eh, Black Plague is also alive and killing people in the USA every year.

It is? willynilly

I didn't know! willynilly
Seems you guys are not taking this seriously. The local information dispusers said the Virus is now in the "US" and what "I" should do, after this,
Well I didn't see the story, so I'll just have to take precautions on my own suspicions

I duct taped my windows top to bottom, this will keep the sunlight from transferring the corona virus in full, but hopefully break it into 2 parts for easier study later.
I suggest make sure no one is outside when leaving your residence, and have taken to wearing ski masks whenever entering (OR LEAVING) a convienent store or gas station.

purchase 6 air filters and place them over your in home air vents, (6 layers deep and place wax paper between two of those layers to allow air movement, but to catch the corona virus,
And as always, carry an umbrella if you are in direct sunlight! But everybody already knew that.

For anyone who didn't know, purple = sarcasm.
The Chinese government has quarantined the city of Wuhan and plans to shut down the airport and public transportation within hours, according to reports on the country’s social networks. The virus has been linked to at least 17 deaths and has sickened over 400 others - Fox News
On the menu at China virus market: rats and live wolf pups
AFP Relax News AFP Relax News•January 22, 2020

Members of staff of the Wuhan Hygiene Emergency Response Team drive their vehicle as they leave the closed Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market in the city of Wuhan.
More
The food market where China's deadly virus surfaced was a smorgasbord of exotic wildlife ranging from wolf pups to species linked to previous pandemics such as civets, according to vendor information and a Chinese media report.

The Huanan Seafood Market in the central city of Wuhan came under greater scrutiny on Wednesday as Chinese officials said that the virus which has so far killed nine people and infected hundreds may have originated in a wild animal sold at the food emporium.

Past deadly epidemics have been blamed on wild animals -- Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) was linked to Chinese consumption of civet meat -- setting Chinese authorities up for potential embarrassment if lax supervision of wildlife trafficking is found at fault in the latest outbreak.

A price list circulating on China's internet for a business at the Wuhan market lists a menagerie of animals or animal-based products including live foxes, crocodiles, wolf puppies, giant salamanders, snakes, rats, peacocks, porcupines, camel meat and other game -- 112 items in all.

"Freshly slaughtered, frozen and delivered to your door," said the price list for the vendor, "Wild Game Animal Husbandry for the Masses".

Gao Fu, director of the Chinese centre for disease control and prevention, said in Beijing on Wednesday that authorities believe the virus likely came from "wild animals at the seafood market" though the exact source remains undetermined.

China bans the trafficking of a number of wild species or requires special licenses, but regulations are loose for some species if they are commercially farmed.

AFP was unable to directly confirm the authenticity of the price list. Phone calls to the vendor went unanswered, and attempts to connect to its social media accounts were rejected.

The Beijing News published a photo Tuesday showing the same vendor's now-shuttered store front, as authorities in white hazmat suits milled about.

The paper also quoted other merchants as saying trade in wildlife took place up until the market was shuttered for disinfection shortly after the outbreak.

A number of the early sufferers of the virus, now known as the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), were employees of the market.

- Virus 'spillover' -

Many exotic species are still widely consumed in China or other Asian countries where they are considered a delicacy -- like the civet or some rats or bats -- or for purported health benefits that are unproven by science.

But this brings growing human health risks, said Christian Walzer, executive director of the US-based Wildlife Conservation Society's Health Program.

Walzer said 70 percent of all new infectious diseases come from wildlife, with habitat encroachment increasing the chances of pathogens spreading.

"Wildlife markets offer a unique opportunity for viruses to spill over from wildlife hosts," he said.

"It is essential to invest resources not only into discovering new viruses, but more importantly, in determining the epidemiological drivers of... (the) spillover, amplification, and spread of infectious diseases."

Bats are thought to have spawned SARS, which in 2002-03 killed hundreds of people in Asia, mostly China.

SARS was also found in civets in wildlife markets in China, with many scientists believing the bat virus infected the cat-like creatures and then humans who ate them.

Following SARS, China cracked down on consumption of civets and some other species, but conservationists say the trade continues.

China has so far won praise for its openness and handling of the current outbreak in stark contrast to SARS, when it was accused of stifling information and failing to cooperate with the rest of the world.
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
The Chinese government has quarantined the city of Wuhan and plans to shut down the airport and public transportation within hours, according to reports on the country’s social networks. The virus has been linked to at least 17 deaths and has sickened over 400 others - Fox News

The city of Wuhan has about 3 million more people than New York City. The number of cases could grow very quickly
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10784540/coronavirus-death-toll-wuhan-china/

Definitely worth a read.
Also saw today that antibiotics aren’t working
Antibiotics don't work on Viruses.
::looks at pile of guns & ammo::

PLEASE, let this finally be the zombie apocalypse!!
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Trivia question.

If there is a zombie apocalypse, where is the best place to hide?
Quote:
Following SARS, China cracked down on consumption of civets and some other species, but conservationists say the trade continues.

Just another example of Gov'tal regulatory overreach stifling business...

Someone should lobby President Xi.

rofl
Posted By: GMdawg Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 01/23/20 11:52 AM
When did Chinese restaurants start offering more than cats and dogs on their menu?
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
When did Chinese restaurants start offering more than cats and dogs on their menu?

I have a friend that goes to China regularly. He’s eaten horse there a few times. So there’s that.

Side note. When I was in Cambodia dog could be found on some (few) menus. Protein is protein.
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Quote:

They did. Shortly afterward, China announced the first batch of Soylent Green. shocked
Posted By: FATE Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 01/23/20 03:34 PM
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Quote:

They did. Shortly afterward, China announced the first batch of Soylent Green. shocked

"You tell everybody. Listen to me, Hatcher. You've gotta tell them! Soylent Green is people!"
Coronavirus cases rise to nearly 650 worldwide as new countries confirm infections

-China has quarantined two major cities with a combined population of 17 million, and planned a similar lockdown for another city on Friday.

-The World Health Organization is reconvening an emergency meeting in Geneva on Thursday, after postponing its decision on whether to designate the new virus as a global health emergency.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/23/china-co...-infection.html

willynilly
Posted By: Tulsa Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 01/23/20 05:21 PM
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg

I have a friend that goes to China regularly. He’s eaten horse there a few times. So there’s that.

Side note. When I was in Cambodia dog could be found on some (few) menus. Protein is protein.

That's disturbing.

For dinner we're starting with a light Lassie, followed by a hearty Rin Tin Tin, and for dessert, Old Yeller cup cakes.
There should never be meat in cupcakes.
Snakes could be source of deadly coronavirus outbreak

The newly discovered coronavirus is linked to a large seafood and animal market in Wuhan, which sells birds, bats, snakes, rabbits, hedgehogs, frogs and other live animals.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/n...ms7e-story.html
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

That's disturbing.

For dinner we're starting with a light Lassie, followed by a hearty Rin Tin Tin, and for dessert, Old Yeller cup cakes.

We in western cultures have a different relationship with dogs. Obviously. They’re part of our families. Our fur kids.
In places like Cambodia they’re street animals. Or used on farms to keep varmint animals at bey. They’re also four legged bags of protein to people that struggled to survive under rulers such as Pol Pot. The Khmer Rouge killed their own people en mass. These mass killings, along with malnutrition and poor medical care, killed nearly 2 million people. A quarter of Cambodia's population. In these conditions, if I were starving, dog would be on the menu too.
As Cambodia rises from the ashes of despot communism, we’re only talking the late 1990’s, life is improving for its people. Dog is less and less seen as part of the nations diet. Hopefully as the country moves forward it’ll only be a footnote of a their much larger story.

That's disturbing.

We in western cultures have a different relationship with dogs. Obviously. They’re part of our families. Our fur kids.
In places like Cambodia they’re street animals. Or used on farms to keep varmint animals at bey. They’re also four legged bags of protein to people that struggled to survive under rulers such as Pol Pot. The Khmer Rouge killed their own people en mass. These mass killings, along with malnutrition and poor medical care, killed nearly 2 million people. A quarter of Cambodia's population. In these conditions, if I were starving, dog would be on the menu too.
As Cambodia rises from the ashes of despot communism, we’re only talking the late 1990’s, life is improving for its people. Dog is less and less seen as part of the nations diet. Hopefully as the country moves forward it’ll only be a footnote of a their much larger story.
Those practices will also linger a little longer after the need is gone.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 01/23/20 08:19 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
There should never be meat in cupcakes.

It's okay, it was just his sweet tooth.
I was in Shanghai and Beijing for business last week...I have colleagues that believe they were on the same flight as the guy from Washington (good likelyhood since it was the same day, same start/end). I've had a dozen or so text messages in the last few days as well as countless colleagues check in with me this week as well. Thankfully I'm feeling fine, although exhausted from an 80 hour week followed up by 45 hours in an airport/plane due to cancellations.

Considering how this thing has progressed the last 2 days, I feel a bit thankful and lucky. Also sad for my Chinese colleagues considering Lunar New Year starts this weekend.

And I'm supposed to go back in Feb and March, but it is looking like that won't happen. As much as I'd like the 100k miles (Business Class) and the phenomenal food, I'm ok with not going back for a while.
1f

They eat horse in Western Europe also. People eat horse basically everywhere that is not the USA. Because it's illegal here.

I wouldn't eat a dog, because I won't eat carnivorous animals. And the thought of eating a doggo horrifies me.

But I'm ok with livestock such as horse. (even as a former horse owner)
J/C

Racist jokes about eating dogs in a thread about people dying over in Asia are okay, yet we make a forum to contain “toxic” discussion of politics.

What’s next week? A thread that praises minstrel shows?

Never change, DawgTalkers

rolleyes
Posted By: GMdawg Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 01/24/20 12:04 PM
We joked about eating cats as well.
Glad you are safe. thumbsup

Coronavirus death toll rises to 26 with more than 900 confirmed cases worldwide

-The majority of the reported cases are in mainland China where travel bans were in effect Friday for at least 10 cities.

-Multiple cases of the virus have been confirmed in Hong Kong, Macau, Thailand, Vietnam, South Korea, Singapore and Japan.

-The United States and Taiwan and have each reported one case.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/24/coronavi...-worldwide.html
willynilly

CDC confirms second US case of coronavirus and is monitoring 63 other possible infections

-U.S. health officials diagnosed a second patient with the China coronavirus — a Chicago woman who returned from Wuhan with the infection.

-They are currently monitoring 63 other potential cases here.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/24/cdc-conf...-diagnosed.html

willynilly

Trivia question.

My favorite comment on this is from the comedian who had a show way back about 2002, wish I could remember his name, (want to say Kurt Loder) because his delivery really sells it,
What's the first rule of the Zombie apocolaypse? "you mean besides remembering that Zombies aren't real!"
eidt::: It "IS" Joel McHale. thumbsup

Trivia question.

In a house surrounded by treadmills, of course!
Zombie Apocalypse best place to hide:

Pre- Calculus- "201"- University- Classroom. brownie

Trivia question.

Behind your Mummy's dress?
The answer is Walmart.

Because Walmart has: Guns, Ammo, Medicine, Food, Clothes, Entertainment, Bathrooms

Like everything you could possibly need, when the Zombies come.

Trivia question.

I like this answer though lol
The answer is Walmart.

Because Walmart has: Guns, Ammo, Medicine, Food, Clothes, Entertainment, Bathrooms

Like everything you could possibly need, when the Zombies come.

I read that in the Newspaper!
Unfortunately it was the Zombie Gazette. willynilly
Why am I not surprised you have a subscription to that paper?

Trivia question.

I like this answer though lol
Walmart has treadmills!
Why am I not surprised you have a subscription to that paper?

Did I say anywhere that I have a subscription?

I said I read it. Nice "Twist" though.
I wouldn't admit it either if I were you. wink
Posted By: GMdawg Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 01/24/20 08:53 PM
What I would love to get an answer too is why in the hell do americans feel the need to travel to china or to any other country?
To get Chinese food of course!
Some people travel there for business and some people actually enjoy learning about the culture of other people. Our nation is less than 300 years old. There is much we can actually learn from the rest of the globe if we didn't think we knew every damned thing like teenagers do.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 01/24/20 09:12 PM
Some people travel there for business and some people actually enjoy learning about the culture of other people. Our nation is less than 300 years old. There is much we can actually learn from the rest of the globe if we didn't think we knew every damned thing like teenagers do.

and we can learn that without bringing back deadly diseases from other countries.
What I would love to get an answer too is why in the hell do americans feel the need to travel to china or to any other country?
Some enjoy history. Love seeing the world and other cultures, etc.

I always have wanted to see Greece as I have always had a fondness of Greek Mythology. There is only so much you can learn form pictures. Seeing Olympia on wiki and being there I would wager offer an entirely different learning process and appreciation.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 01/24/20 09:18 PM
Originally Posted By: willitevachange

I always have wanted to see Greece as I have always had a fondness of Greek Mythology. There is only so much you can learn form pictures. Seeing Olympia on wiki and being there I would wager offer an entirely different learning process and appreciation.

That's fine with me. I can respect that, but as for me I have zero interest in going anywhere outside of the good old USA
In that case, I wouldn't travel the world and experience different cultures then.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 01/24/20 09:24 PM
In that case, I wouldn't travel the world and experience different cultures then.

I am fine with that, as we as Americans can't even understand the cultures of our neighbors. IMO we should worry more about that.

Because the world is an amazing place. Seeing other cultures makes us realize ours is just a small fraction of a much larger human story. To make us see that we’re all the same. Just people trying to get by. To open our minds to new experiences. To get outside our comfort zones.
I can’t understand why one wouldn’t want to travel. Such a small wasted life on such a large planet.

I am fine with that, as we as Americans can't even understand the cultures of our neighbors. IMO we should worry more about that.

America is about a half second old in the greater human timeline experience. We have no culture. Travel and you’d see that.

Coronavirus in China: Officials rush to build hospital in six days
By Yaron Steinbuch January 24, 2020 | 7:56am

Hospital with 1,000 beds to be built in six days in Wuhan to tackle deadly coronavirus
Play Video
FOLLOW THE STORY
NYC shops hit with face mask shortage amid coronavirus fears
Coronavirus reaches Europe with two cases confirmed in France
New York investigating 3 possible cases of coronavirus
Coronavirus outbreak: De Blasio says disease will reach NYC 'sooner than later'
China, Australia hit with face mask shortage amid coronavirus outbreak
Coronavirus in China: Officials rush to build hospital in six days
SEE ALL STORIES
China is rushing to build a 1,000-bed hospital in just six days to treat patients at the epicenter of the new coronavirus, which has killed at least 26 people, infected about 830 and prompted lockdowns in at least a dozen cities, according to reports.

The 270,000-square-foot facility in Wuhan is expected to be up and running by Feb. 3 and will aim “to address the insufficiency of existing medical resources,” city officials said, according to the official Xinhua news agency.

On the eve of the Lunar New Year, transportation was shut down Friday in 12 cities with a total population of about 35 million, including Wuhan and its neighbors in central China’s Hubei province.

In 2003, China built a hospital on Beijing’s rural outskirts in barely a week to treat a rapidly rising number of people suffering from SARS, or severe acute respiratory syndrome, which killed 349 people in mainland China and 299 in Hong Kong.

Xiaotangshan Hospital was made of prefabricated structures and Xinhua reported Friday that Wuhan was building the new facility based on the same model.

The city of over 11 million residents has been centralizing its treatment of the coronavirus by isolating patients in 61 clinics and designated hospitals.

Officials have said the new virus probably originated from wild animals at a seafood market in Wuhan but it has since spread to several countries around Asia and beyond.

Meanwhile, at least eight hospitals in Wuhan issued calls for donations of masks, goggles, gowns and other protective gear, according to notices online.

Officials at Wuhan University People’s Hospital set up a group chat on the popular WeChat messaging app to coordinate the donations.

Enlarge ImageA nurse wears protective clothing to help stop the spread of the deadly coronavirus
A nurse wears protective clothing to help stop the spread of the deadly coronavirus.Getty Images
The “Fever Control Command Center” of the city of Huanggang also issued a call for donations publicized by the state-run People’s Daily, asking for medical supplies, medicine and disinfection equipment. The notice added that for now, they wouldn’t accept supplies from other countries.

The vast majority of cases were reported in and around Wuhan, but people who visited or had personal connections to infected people were among the scattered cases counted beyond the mainland.

South Korea and Japan both confirmed their second cases Friday and Singapore confirmed its third. Cases also have been detected in Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam.

One case also has turned up in the US. A Washington state man in his 30s has been diagnosed after returning from a solo trip to Wuhan.

Business.... vacation... visit family.... I have family that was born in china... my closest friend was born in china and still has family there.... there aren't several reason to travel the world...

I would t recommend going to china at this time unless you absolutely have to though....
Hey, let's all go to India. That's a great place!
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Hey, let's all go to India. That's a great place!

I had a friend just get back from there a month or so ago. She, her sister, and her mother had an amazing time. It’s on my list, Granted not at the top.
An ancient culture. Amazing architecture. Incredible tile work in its religious structures. Awesome food. Certainly a place to challenge ones travel skills but worth it for sure.
J/C

The continued xenophobia in this thread really shouldn’t surprise me, right?
jc

I feel we should post even more xenophobia. Because watching a SJW act #Triggered is funny.
If you stand for nothing Burr, what will you fall for?
Posted By: FATE Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 01/25/20 10:15 PM
... The mind-melting hypocrisy of the Misery Merchants and Thought Police.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/22/world/wuhan-coronavirus-visual-guide-intl/index.html

A visual guide to the Wuhan coronavirus
By Tara John and Jack Guy, Graphics by CNN Visual News Team

Updated 10:50 AM ET, Sat January 25, 2020

An outbreak of new coronavirus has sickened about 1,400 people worldwide and killed at least 41 in mainland China, while spreading to countries around the world.

Its emergence has fueled fears of a deadly epidemic as hundreds of millions of people travel in China, or around the Asian region, during the Lunar New Year holiday.
What is the virus?

Coronavirus is a large family of viruses, which include severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS).
Common symptoms include a runny nose, cough, sore throat, and possibly a headache. Those who have a weakened immune system, particularly the young and the elderly, are at risk of the virus turning into a more serious respiratory tract illness.
Authorities said the Wuhan coronavirus was passed from animals to humans; can be spread from person to person; and appears to cause pneumonia in people who have weakened immune systems.

It is thought to be milder that SARS and MERS and take longer to develop symptoms. Patients to date have typically experienced a mild cough for a week followed by shortness of breath, causing them to visit a hospital.
Experts are now trying to understand how it is being transmitted, who is at most risk and whether transmission is occurring mostly in hospitals or in the community.
In one instance, 14 doctors and nurses operating on a patient -- who was not known to be carrying the virus -- were all infected with it, suggesting it can be spread relatively easily.
Where is this happening?
Where it started: Ground zero
The outbreak emerged last month in the largest city in central China, Wuhan, a city of 11 million people in Hubei province.
Officials linked it to Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market, saying wild animals sold there are the likely source of the virus. The market has been closed since January 1 for disinfection and officials are scrambling to discover its animal source.
Snakes -- the Chinese krait and the Chinese cobra -- may be responsible for transmitting coronavirus to humans.
Scientists in China say that the virus might have jumped from bats to snakes, which were sold in the local seafood market in Wuhan, and then to humans.

However, how the virus could adapt to both the cold-blooded and warm-blooded hosts remains a mystery, and further tests are necessary to determine the source animal.
At least 30 people died in the province, many of them elderly and suffering from pre-existing conditions.
As deaths mount in the city, officials imposed a number of new measures including the postponement of New Year celebrations in Wuhan, a ban on tour agencies from bringing groups of people out of the city and thermal monitors and screening in public spaces.
Regional spread
From the first reported case in December, in Hubei province, the virus has spread to almost all of China's administrative regions this week.
The country has adopted prevention and control measures that are typically used for major outbreaks such as plague and cholera. This means health officials will get sweeping powers to lock down affected areas and quarantine patients.
Wuhan "temporarily" closed its airport and railway stations on Thursday for departing passengers, and all public transport services are suspended until further notice.
The city's coronavirus task force also announced the closure of highways out of the city.

Meanwhile, the city made it mandatory for everyone to wear face masks in public places after confirmed coronavirus cases passed the 500 mark.
Unprecedented lockdown
Authorities in China have imposed indefinite travel restrictions in 15 cities in Hubei province, the most affected area in the country, impacting an estimated 32 million people.
Wuhan, a city of 11 million, is under effective lockdown, with all public transport in and out of the city closed.
Other cities across the province are under less severe travel restrictions.
A global threat: Confirmed cases around the world
The virus has spread well beyond mainland China, so far to 13 places including Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, Japan, Vietnam, Australia and the United States.
Airports around the world have increased health screenings and implemented new quarantine procedures as officials race to slow the spread of the virus.
Various countries, including the US and the UK, have also issued travel advisories for Wuhan.
International flights from Wuhan
Wuhan is a major transportation hub.
Not only is the city a center for China's high-speed rail network, it has flights going to more than 60 international destinations from Tianhe International Airport.
On Thursday, as confirmed cases ramped up across the country, government officials announced the temporary closure of Wuhan's airport and railway stations.
All train tickets in and out of Wuhan have also been suspended, while multiple international airlines have canceled flights to the city.
China has encouraged passengers traveling to and from Wuhan to change their travel plans during the busy Lunar New Year holiday period, by exempting them from service charges for refunds for all modes of transport.
How does this compare to the SARS virus?
Scientists say the infectiousness of the virus is not as strong as SARS, but have added that the number of people infected is climbing.
A study by researchers in the UK estimated that the number of infections in Wuhan is still grossly underestimated, with the real number closer to 4,000 as of January 18, based on the spread of the virus to other cities and countries in a relatively short period of time.
SARS infected more than 8,000 people and killed 774 in a pandemic that ripped through Asia in 2002 and 2003.
On Thursday, David Heymann, the chairman of a World Health Organization committee gathering data on the outbreak, said the virus spreads more easily from person to person than previously thought.
But there is still much that is not known about the virus and, as the above graphic shows, its death rate is far smaller than that seen during the SARS outbreak.

That's fine with me. I can respect that, but as for me I have zero interest in going anywhere outside of the good old USA

Traveling abroad is not for everyone, and most can afford to do it until they are older, and I can tell you that most places in the rest of the world are not accessible to people with difficulties getting around.

But pictures and books don't do things like Venice, the Roman Colosseum, Tower of Pisa, Castles of Scotland, Ireland's countryside, Fjords of Norway, windmills in Amsterdam.

Not to mention the many wonderful people I've had the pleasure of meeting. The crap about everyone hating Americans is BS, most have no issues with us and have a lot of curiosity about our lives, as we do them.

My wife and I are trying to get in all the international travel now, and saving RVing around America for when we retire.
More than 2,860 cases of coronavirus in China as death toll hits 81

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/27/wuhan-coronavirus-china-confirms-more-cases-as-death-toll-rises.html
j/c

They've know found that the virus can spread before any symptoms show. So all of those scenes of people's temperatures being taken at airports did nothing to prevent the spread of the virus....

China coronavirus 'spreads before symptoms show'

A new coronavirus that has spread to more than 2,000 people is infectious in its incubation period - before symptoms show - making it harder to contain, Chinese officials say.

Fifty-six people have died from the virus. Health minister Ma Xiaowei told reporters the ability of the virus to spread appeared to be strengthening.

Several Chinese cities have imposed significant travel restrictions.

Wuhan in Hubei, the source of the outbreak, is in effective lockdown.

The infections were at a "crucial stage of containment", Ma Xiaowei said.

Officials announced that the sale of all wildlife in China would be banned from Sunday. The virus is thought to have originated in animals, but no cause has been officially identified.

In humans, the incubation period - during which a person has the disease, but no symptoms yet - ranges from between one and 14 days, officials believe.

Without symptoms, a person may not know they have the infection, but still be able to spread it.

This is a significant development in our understanding of the virus and the lengths China will have to go to, to stop it.

People with Sars (the last deadly coronavirus outbreak to hit China) and Ebola are contagious only when symptoms appear.

Such outbreaks are relatively easy to stop - identify and isolate people who are sick and monitor anyone they came into contact with.

Flu, however, is the most famous example of a virus that you spread before you even know you're ill.

We are not at the stage where people are saying this could be a global pandemic like swine flu.

But stopping such "symptomless spreaders" will make the job of the Chinese authorities much harder.

There are still crucial questions - how infectious are people during the incubation period, and did any of the patients outside China spread the disease in those countries before becoming sick?

And why did China's National Health Commission say the transmission ability of this virus is getting stronger?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51254523
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
J/C

The continued xenophobia in this thread really shouldn’t surprise me, right?

GM's original post was about how he doesn't understand how people would want to travel to China. That's not xenophobia, especially in a thread dedicated to a super dangerous and contagious health scare. He followed up with saying he's perfectly happy staying right here.

While you may not agree (neither do I) that opinion is perfectly valid. He said nothing about the people, simply stated his not wanting to travel.

My turn... what I don't understand is someone having such a large amount of outrage that it spills over into like it has here.
There are a lot of places I would love to see, if I were able to travel.

I would love to see the Pyramids in person...

the city underneath modern day Istanbul ...

the churches in the Czech Republic ...

Big Ben .....

The Outback ...

The Wailing Wall ...

And others, including the Aztec and Mayan ruins in Mexico.

Unfortunately, the only way I will likely see these sites is on the internet. Fortunately, we live in an age where so much is available to see online.
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
There are a lot of places I would love to see, if I were able to travel.

I would love to see the Pyramids in person...Yes! The Luxor in Vegas is beautiful.

the city underneath modern day Istanbul ...YES!

the churches in the Czech Republic ...YES!

Big Ben .....NO! I think he may be finished in Pittsburgh.

The Outback ...YES! Excellent steaks and Chili Fries!

The Wailing Wall ...Easy to see! Go to the Political Threads!

Or Trump's Twitter feed.
Read today that the guy who modeled the sars and bird flu outbreak in China thinks this will not peak until mid April-
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
Glad you are safe. thumbsup

Coronavirus death toll rises to 26 with more than 900 confirmed cases worldwide

-The majority of the reported cases are in mainland China where travel bans were in effect Friday for at least 10 cities.

-Multiple cases of the virus have been confirmed in Hong Kong, Macau, Thailand, Vietnam, South Korea, Singapore and Japan.

-The United States and Taiwan and have each reported one case.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/24/coronavi...-worldwide.html

Thanks.

From what I've been told, I'm not out of the woods yet as there is a 2 week incubation period. Not sure how true that is, but I'll be keeping an eye on things for a week or so still (2 weeks is Superbowl Sunday)
Here is a Johns Hopkins dashboard that is tracking confirmed cases

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
Tears, fear and panic grip China as coronavirus spreads
By Alice Su, Los Angeles Times 2 hrs ago
a group of people posing for the camera: Commuters arriving in Hong Kong wear facemasks as they pass the cross boundary restricted area inside the high-speed train station connecting Hong Kong to mainland China during a public holiday in celebration of the Lunar New Year in Hong Kong on Jan. 28, 2020, as a preventative measure following a virus outbreak which began in the Chinese city of Wuhan.
© Anthony Wallace/AFP/Getty Images AsiaPac/TNS
Commuters arriving in Hong Kong wear facemasks as they pass the cross boundary restricted area inside the high-speed train station connecting Hong Kong to mainland China during a public holiday in celebration of the Lunar New Year in Hong Kong on Jan. 28, 2020, as a preventative measure following a virus outbreak which began in the Chinese city of Wuhan.
BEIJING — The man burst out with a shout at the last second as medical workers boarded a bus headed to Wuhan: “[censored] Yuehua, I love you!”

He sobbed, gasping, as his wife joined an emergency response team headed to the deadly new coronavirus that has killed at least 100 patients and infected more than 4,500 people across China. Reported cases are rising every day — more than 60% in the last 24 hours alone.

A nurse patted the man on the shoulder as he lowered his head, heaving. Another woman came by and murmured to him as he cried, “I know, I know, I can’t control it.”

The nurse next to him began to weep as well, wiping her face as the bus pulled away, loaded with colleagues and loved ones venturing on a perilous journey into an epidemic. At least 15 medical workers have been infected and one has died after treating coronavirus patients in Wuhan.

The 52-member group from Henan departed by bus Sunday, according to a Henan University report, joining more than 6,000 medical workers who’ve been dispatched from every province except Tibet and Hubei (where Wuhan is located) to relieve doctors and nurses in Wuhan.

Shared grief, suspicion and multiplying tensions have seized this nation. Since the central government takeover of China’s virus response last week, state media has broadcast a steady stream of inspirational reports about heroic Chinese people uniting to fight the unseen enemy, confident in the party’s leadership. Over and over again, the government repeats: Trust us. Be calm. Wash your hands. Stay home.

A construction worker carries materials as new hospitals are built to tackle the coronavirus on Jan. 28, 2020 in Wuhan, China. Wuhan Huoshenshan hospital will reportedly be ready for use on February 3rd with the capacity of 1000 beds.
© Getty Images/Getty Images AsiaPac/TNS A construction worker carries materials as new hospitals are built to tackle the coronavirus on Jan. 28, 2020 in Wuhan, China. Wuhan Huoshenshan hospital will reportedly be ready for use on February 3rd with the capacity of 1000 beds.
But offscreen, China’s virus war is grim. Silent cities sit in a white winter smog that blots out the sky, their silent, empty streets contrasting with the crowded hospitals where doctors and nurses break down because they lack equipment or rooms for the patients squeezed outside their doors.

In rural areas, many villagers blockade and guard village entrances to prevent outsiders — especially Hubei people — from entering.

Online, desperate posts sprout up daily from people begging for help because sick family members are not being admitted into hospitals.

Fear lurks in the background of even healthy people’s minds, inflated by the proximity of death, fragility of loved ones, and most of all by the unknown: where the virus comes from, how it changes, how it spreads, whether one has it or not, and whether authorities are providing the full truth. It is a country of fretful eyes peering out over surgical masks.

For those in China and especially in Wuhan, the tick-tock unease is worsened by uncertainty in what the government says, based on past experience of inaccurate reporting on death numbers and infection rates in other preventable tragedies, including SARS and the Great Leap Forward famine.

National health commissioner Jiao Yahui said at a news briefing Wednesday in Beijing that the issue of insufficient hospital beds was a question of “great importance” and “national concern,” adding that two hospitals are under construction and should provide 2,300 new beds when they are completed in early February.

Other hospitals in Wuhan are also supposed to open up space to patients, Jiao said, providing 10,000 beds in total — “more than enough” for suspected as well as confirmed cases.

But the virus is spreading, and residents in Wuhan with sick family members say they are unable to receive diagnostic tests or secure hospital space for their relatives, even when doctors tell them they are likely infected with the new virus.

A woman in Wuhan surnamed Sun, 32, said in a phone interview that her husband, 34, has been sick since Jan. 15, first with a fever and cough, then with a lung infection that a doctor said was likely caused by the coronavirus.

“Of course we couldn’t guess it was something so bad. We didn’t know,” Sun said, adding that her husband works in Wuhan’s Hankou district, where the Huanan Seafood Market, the suspected source of the coronavirus outbreak, is located.

He’d even attended his company’s Lunar New Year banquet near that market, Sun said, when Chinese officials were still claiming that the virus was not transmissible between humans. Since then, his symptoms have escalated from high fever, coughing and fatigue to breathing problems. Sun’s parents, who live with them, have both caught fevers as well.

Her mother, 65, has developed a lung infection, and her father, 67, who had preexisting health problems including diabetes and high blood pressure, has a similar profile to elderly coronavirus victims who have died.

This whole time, Sun has not been able to get her family tested for the coronavirus, she said, because the doctors told her they had no test kits. Without confirmation of whether her husband has the virus, his death would go unreported as either a new virus case or death.

But her priority now is just to get him into a hospital, no matter how the government wants to classify him.

Ten days ago, Sun filled out an application for her husband’s hospitalization. The city has since designated specific hospitals for suspected coronavirus patients. That means she has to register her husband with a neighborhood committee first, which then reports the name to the hospital.

Every day is a disconcerting maze: The hospital tells Sun that her husband’s name is not on the list. She goes to the committee, which insists they reported his name. She asks the hospital, which says: no name. She goes back to the committee, and repeats the cycle.

Meanwhile, her husband can’t catch his breath.

“We’ve been telling the hospital, and they say, ‘There’s nothing we can do,’” she said.

Sun said she’d just bought an oxygen device that aids breathing on Wednesday, and was reading its instruction manual. Two days ago, she sent her 3-year-old daughter to her sister’s apartment, choosing to separate from her child rather than risk her getting sick.

At home, Sun self-isolates in a separate room from her stricken husband, mother and father. She asks for help online several times a day.

Yesterday, her daughter started having a fever, too.

———
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

only ~6200 cases.
This thing is moving WAY too slowly.

Pitter Patter, China.
I think I caught something yesterday, usualy can tell when I get first contact, the last several times I've had the flu, I can tell the instant it happens.

Had a mild spell of the flu between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and was over it until yesterday, I felt it, then, wasn't sure, until yep, today is the first day, and this is a different sickness than usual.
Milder, still the symptoms are there, and the biggest thing is the massive sneezing that occurs a couple hours apart, a slight fever first noticed just as I typed this,
and a constant sore throat that's not actually sore as it usually is.

Maybe this is just the 2nd strain of the flu, that I read about when reading about the 1918 flu, or maybe it's sars-corona, maybe they are just 2 names for the same thing.
The person that infected me could have been from anywhere, but I wasn't in China anytime.

These things usually last about 10-12 days, hopefully I can get over this.
Sounds like the story I read about 2 days ago on the 1918 flu killing 50 million,
50 million in 1918 would be like 400 million today.
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

only ~6200 cases.
This thing is moving WAY too slowly.

Pitter Patter, China.

The website today didn't update since lunch-i thought maybe there was a lull. Unfortunately Wrong.

Just updated about 20 minutes ago-the number of cases went up to about 7800 and the deaths rose to 170
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Sounds like the story I read about 2 days ago on the 1918 flu killing 50 million,

I just saw when i was looking at the virus stats that some health professionals that model this stuff say that this transmits like the 1918 flu...but i think our health care system is a little better than then
Originally Posted By: northlima dawg

Just updated about 20 minutes ago-the number of cases went up to about 7800 and the deaths rose to 170

willynilly

I just sneezed inside my surgical mask.
Flu has killed over 8,000 this season is just the US... coronavirus is scary but I'm not going to get too worked up yet..
Posted By: GMdawg Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 01/30/20 11:34 AM
I'm thinking about catching the Coors Light virus today.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 01/30/20 11:44 AM

Be careful, it directly attacks your wallet.
Posted By: Swish Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 01/30/20 11:55 AM
Originally Posted By: jaybird
Flu has killed over 8,000 this season is just the US... coronavirus is scary but I'm not going to get too worked up yet..

Seeing as how the majority of these diseases come from farm animals, is it too much to ask to re-evaluate how we raise farm animals, or is that too harmful to people’s wallets?
Posted By: GMdawg Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 01/30/20 12:27 PM

Be careful, it directly attacks your wallet.

Not much my local watering hole only charges $2.00 for a beer.
The United States currently has five cases of the virus: two in California, one in Arizona, one in Washington and one in Illinois, health officials say.

France -- 5 cases

Thailand -- 14

Australia -- 7

Germany -- 4

Canada -- 3

Japan -- 11

Malaysia -- 8

South Korea -- 6

Taiwan -- 8

United Arab Emirates -- 4

Vietnam -- 5

Sri Lanka -- 1

Philippines -- 1

Nepal -- 1

Malaysia -- 7

Finland --1

Cambodia -- 1

India -- 1

Singapore -- 10

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-by-the-numbers
The United States currently has five cases of the virus: two in California, one in Arizona, one in Washington and one in Illinois, health officials say.

France -- 5 cases

Thailand -- 14

Australia -- 7

Germany -- 4

Canada -- 3

Japan -- 11

Malaysia -- 8

South Korea -- 6

Taiwan -- 8

United Arab Emirates -- 4

Vietnam -- 5

Sri Lanka -- 1

Philippines -- 1

Nepal -- 1

Malaysia -- 7

Finland --1

Cambodia -- 1

India -- 1

Singapore -- 10

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-by-the-numbers

6200 cases increased to 7800 cases in 3 days?, and 3 days ago I think that list of countries was only 3 countries, maybe 5
USA-1, Japan-1, and China, then maybe Vietnam and ?,

Next week?
Russia closes China border, cruise ship of 6,000 quarantined as outbreak spreads

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/30/coronavirus-latest-updates.html
Originally Posted By: Swish

Seeing as how the majority of these diseases come from farm animals, is it too much to ask to re-evaluate how we raise farm animals, or is that too harmful to people’s wallets?

Once you look at how many diseases and parasites are virtually of no concern any longer due to the quality of modern farming practices, you'd realize that things are actually pretty good.

Beyond that, us looking at how we do things doesn't affect all the backwoods parts of the world - like Chinese markets engaged in selling exotic critters - where many of these things originate.

The big industry isn't the primary problem in things like this, it's the individuals in far-flung regions with nasty farming practices that are the real issue.

I just saw when i was looking at the virus stats that some health professionals that model this stuff say that this transmits like the 1918 flu...but i think our health care system is a little better than then

Yes, but people are less considerate. The number of people I encounter out in public that are obviously sicker than heck, and will touch everything, sneeze without covering up, it's just bewildering.
And it's not like they are out getting meds, they are just going about daily life, spreading germs.
So, here's the thing that is annoying to me:

What information isn't being shared?
This doesn't spread all that quickly and it doesn't have all that high of a mortality rate. The number of cases at this point is actually quite low given the population densities of the areas in which cases have been reported, I think. I mean, really... as was already mentioned, this pales in comparison to the common flu right now.

So..... why are borders getting closed and cities getting quarantined and emergency facilities to hold up to 1,000 getting constructed overnight?

My guess, is because it is China and the we don't believe the numbers they are reporting, especially considering the measures they are taking as your stated.
The first human to human transmission of the disease has just been confirmed in America.

Breaking Story, more to come...

CDC confirms first human-to-human transmission of coronavirus in US

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/30/cdc-conf...irus-in-us.html

The new patient is the spouse of the Chicago woman who brought the infection back from Wuhan, China, the epicenter of the outbreak, CDC and Illinois health officials said during a press briefing. Public health officials are also monitoring 21 patients in Illinois for possible infections.
Now we're talking.
There is no way on god's green earth that little countries like S.Korea and Vietnam should have as many or more cases than this great land of our's.
Someone needs to talk to trump,open up our borders to the Wuhang Gang and get some of those sickies in here.
Amen. Let's get this party kicked off!
No.

willynilly
WHO declares China coronavirus that’s killed 171 a global health emergency

-The World Health Organization said the fast-spreading coronavirus that’s infected more than 8,200 across the world is a global health emergency.

-The rare designation will help the international agency mobilize financial and political support to contain the outbreak.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/30/who-declares-china-coronavirus-a-global-health-emergency.html
J/C

I really haven't looked into this at all - but let me know if I got this right.....

So what im seeing is that its really not that deadly (about .02% have passed from it that contracted) - not more so than the typically common cold/flu can be, and that your really only at risk to die if you have OTHER health related issues it can make worse?

Sounds like a good opportunity for fear and money to be made.
Posted By: Swish Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 01/30/20 09:14 PM
And a movie on the SyFy channel.
And a movie on the SyFy channel.

Virnado!!

-The World Health Organization said the fast-spreading coronavirus that’s infected more than 8,200 across the world is a global health emergency.

-The rare designation will help the international agency mobilize financial and political support to contain the outbreak.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/30/who-declares-china-coronavirus-a-global-health-emergency.html

I'm curious as to where CNBC gets their 8,200 number when World Health Organization's 30 January SitRep still has the number at just a blip over 7,800.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports/

For anyone that cares, or is bored, apparently there is a new SitRep doc daily.
Of interest, however, is the over 12,000 suspected number as of 30 January.

Still, it seems much overblown, though perhaps this sort of reaction is simply established protocol from a defensive perspective. Better to over-react and lock things down when not necessary than to not do it and have a really bad one gain too much traction?
Still, it seems much overblown, though perhaps this sort of reaction is simply established protocol from a defensive perspective. Better to over-react and lock things down when not necessary than to not do it and have a really bad one gain too much traction?

The problem is, if you cry wolf too many times, then people won't take you seriously when there's really a deadly outbreak of something.
CNBC worries more about how the disease effects the stock market than how many people get in the way.

It is, but if they can't cure it, it's not. The healthcare system in 1918 was better than when the plague swept Europe in the mid 1300's, killing near 40% of the European population.

Just saying.

I'm curious as to where CNBC gets their 8,200 number when World Health Organization's 30 January SitRep still has the number at just a blip over 7,800.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports/

For anyone that cares, or is bored, apparently there is a new SitRep doc daily.
Of interest, however, is the over 12,000 suspected number as of 30 January.

The Johns Hopkins site hasn't been updated since 11 this morning and is at 8236. Should be updated in the next hour or so.

And there are reports from how it actually is in China that several days ago, the real number is probably around 100,000
So, here's the thing that is annoying to me:

What information isn't being shared?
This doesn't spread all that quickly and it doesn't have all that high of a mortality rate. The number of cases at this point is actually quite low given the population densities of the areas in which cases have been reported, I think. I mean, really... as was already mentioned, this pales in comparison to the common flu right now.

So..... why are borders getting closed and cities getting quarantined and emergency facilities to hold up to 1,000 getting constructed overnight?

Either by mistake or design, the number in China are getting under reported. And in the story i posted a couple days ago, many people are not able to get medical attention for like a week. The medical system in Wuhan is overwhelmed.
Also, some of the deaths are being reported as severe respiratory or pneumonia, which is a result of too much corona.
So, why would the Johns Hopkins site have better information than WHO?

Quote:
And there are reports from how it actually is in China that several days ago, the real number is probably around 100,000

Now, we're talkin'!
That's slightly disconcerting, lol.... but, it makes the fuss seem more reasonable.
In cases like these it's not about what we're being told that I'm concerned about. It's what we're not being told. Borders aren't closed due to the flu.

I highly doubt that if this isn't more serious than the flu that the world would be isolating cities and shutting down borders.

Watching a Netflix special the other day (which was made pre-coronavirus) but the rules apply.

All animals have viruses, most of which local people are immune to. Then they showed a wet market in a Chinese city where they sell live animals for food and they are stacked in cages, animal cages stacked on top of different animal cages all over the place. The theory is that virus from one animal type gets into another animal type and joins with one of it's viruses and creates a completely different virus.

This is their working theory on how these "new" viruses we've never seen before get started. It's also the reason they always seem to originate in the same parts of the world that have the worst sanitation practices and requirements.
China has a history of trying to keep things like this on the down low for fear that they will wreck tourism and export businesses. It's not until the WHO and the CDC become aware and start to get involved that we start to get a picture of how bad it really is.

I wouldn't believe anything China told me, but I would take what the WHO and the CDC say very seriously.

With that said, I'm leaving the first week of March for a fun few days in Uganda (work related). In the last week I've been vaccinated for about 8 different things, obviously corona isn't one of them.

China has massive building programs going on all over Africa and I would imagine that Chinese business people are in and out of there all the time.

I'm a little freaked out and monitoring it on the daily to see if any hot spots show up in/near Uganda.
I certainly wish you the best in your travels and hope nothing like this befalls you.
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
China has a history of trying to keep things like this on the down low for fear that they will wreck tourism and export businesses. It's not until the WHO and the CDC become aware and start to get involved that we start to get a picture of how bad it really is.

I wouldn't believe anything China told me, but I would take what the WHO and the CDC say very seriously.

With that said, I'm leaving the first week of March for a fun few days in Uganda (work related). In the last week I've been vaccinated for about 8 different things, obviously corona isn't one of them.

China has massive building programs going on all over Africa and I would imagine that Chinese business people are in and out of there all the time.

I'm a little freaked out and monitoring it on the daily to see if any hot spots show up in/near Uganda.

Some travel tips... Wear a mask if you’re freaked out. Get cleaning wipes and pack a few in a ziplock in your carryon bag. Wipe the surfaces of your seating area down. Tray table, armrests, window well, etc. Most importantly, DON’T TOUCH YOUR FACE. Keep your hands away from your eyes unless you just washed them. This is the fastest way we allow entry of most illnesses into our bodies. Hands to eyes. Wash your hands the moment you can after each flight.

You can generally keep yourself healthy with these basic steps.
Thanks.

Some travel tips... Wear a mask if you’re freaked out. Get cleaning wipes and pack a few in a ziplock in your carryon bag. Wipe the surfaces of your seating area down. Tray table, armrests, window well, etc. Most importantly, DON’T TOUCH YOUR FACE. Keep your hands away from your eyes unless you just washed them. This is the fastest way we allow entry of most illnesses into our bodies. Hands to eyes. Wash your hands the moment you can after each flight.

You can generally keep yourself healthy with these basic steps.

How effective is hand sanitizer in place of a full-on hand washing? Just curious.
FDA: Purell sanitizer doesn't prevent the flu — or Ebola - CBS News
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/purell-sani...-other-viruses/

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration wants the maker of Purell to clean up its act, warning Gojo Industries to stop claiming that some of its hand sanitizers can help guard against Ebola, norovirus, the flu and other maladies.

The Ohio manufacturer makes unfounded marketing claims about its popular line of alcohol-based gels, foams and sprays on its corporate website and on social media, the FDA's director of compliance said in a January 17 letter to Gojo.

The agency's directive comes as the U.S. contends with an early start to the flu season and amid global concerns about the coronavirus outbreak that has killed more than 100 people in China.

Gojo's statements about one of its product lines — Purell Healthcare Advanced Hand Sanitizer — wrongly suggest that the product may protect users from the Ebola virus, norovirus, influenza and other infection.

"As of today, we are not aware of any hand sanitizers that have been tested against Ebola viruses, including Purell," the FDA said in the letter.

The agency also called on the company to stop claiming on Purell's website that its sanitizers have been shown to "reduce student absenteeism by up to 51%." Gojo must also stop promoting Purell as a defense in locker rooms and other germ-laden sports environments, including against certain antibiotic-resistant infections.

Purell isn't a drug

Gojo's marketing implies that some of its products can be used to prevent disease, which implies they are drugs even though they are not classified as such, the FDA said.

Gojo took immediate action to rectify the situation after getting the FDA warning, the company said in a statement on its website.

"It is important to emphasize that the FDA letter was not related to the safety or quality of our products, or our manufacturing processes. Our products can and should continue to be used as part of good hand hygiene practice, to reduce germs," a Gojo spokesperson wrote to CBS MoneyWatch.

"It is our responsibility to ensure that we comply with all requirements of FDA regulations and federal law, and we take that responsibility very seriously," the company spokesperson added. "To that end, we have begun updating relevant website and other digital content as directed by the FDA and are taking steps to prevent a recurrence."

Hand sanitizers are effective in killing some germs on contact, but offer limited protection, experts cautioned.

"Hand sanitizers, at least alcohol-based like Purell, are very effective in killing viruses and bacteria that may be on your hands," said David Dowdy, an associate professor of infectious disease and epidemiology at Johns Hopkins University's Bloomberg School of Public Health.

But sanitizers "kill what's on your hands at the time that you use them, not for hours later," Dowdy told CBS MoneyWatch. "Just using an alcohol wipe from time to time is not going to protect you all day, nor is it reasonable to think people are going to use one every five to 10 minutes."

Infections don't enter the body through your hand, but can when a person touches their mouth, nose, eyes or other orifices, the physician noted. "If someone were to sneeze in your face, obviously this wouldn't protect against that," Dowdy said. "These products are nice to have around, but we shouldn't be thinking of them as a magic bullet."
Hand sanitizer isn’t a hand washing replacement but it can be a useful tool. In nursing we can only use it after ‘casual contact’ with a patient, ie holding a hand, or touching a patient’s back to stabilize them while they walk. Any actual care requires hand washing. It doesn’t kill everything as someone else stated. It doesn’t kill the Norovirus, only bleach does. Etc. Lysol wipes are the same. The suggestions I gave are effective for many types of illness prevention though. Many of the common ones we encounter. Like the rhinovirus... aka the common cold.

Don’t touch your face is the biggest tip. If you tune in to yourself you’ll be amazed at how many times throughout the day you do touch your face, rub your eyes. As a nurse it’s something I’ve trained myself to be conscious of. Once you learn to control the impulse you’ll find in general your incidents of sickness decline.

Heard an interesting story on NPR on the way home..

In Hong Kong at one of their hospitals, starting this weekend they are splitting up their medical team into dirty and clean sides. the dirty side will deal with the virus and suspected virus patients, not have any contact any where else in the hospital totally ICRA'd off and by there selves. When they are done working for the day, they will go to housing and stay with their "dirty workers" for 4-6 weeks. They won't go home, see their kids, go out to eat nothing for the 4-6 week stint and then a couple week observation period.

The nurses at that hospital are also staging a sickout on Monday if Hong Kong doesn't close the border with China. One nurse said she is putting her life at risk because they won't stop letting in people from Hubei.

The website says Hong Kong only have 12 cases but the doctor said that they have many and probably guesses the possible cases in Hong Kong are a couple hundred that he knows about.
If a sickness is airborne, none of the above would matter, if someone breathes, talks, sighs, or even just stands within 6 feet of you, for 30 seconds, you breathe in what they breathe out and vice versa.

Just take a look at where soemeones breath goes on the bitter cold winter days, let alone if they cough or sneeze.

I've known from the past that masks don't stop you from breathing what's around you either, they limit it, even the heavy industrial masks that look like a muzzle for a dog didn't stop me from knowing the chemicals smell and taste I was working with; Only limited it.
Based on new research from MIT, we know now that when you sneeze, it can travel as far as 200 feet–all thanks to a previously undetected gas bubble known as a “multiphase turbulent buoyant bubble.”

https://news.yahoo.com/africa-mobilises-against-coronavirus-fears-mount-023022451.html

African countries are scrambling to avert an outbreak of the rapidly spreading coronavirus strain, as health officials warn that the poorest countries are ill-equipped to combat the deadly disease.

Across the continent, governments have stationed nurses at airports to check for feverish passengers and have suspended Chinese entry visas, while ordinary people grow increasingly nervous.

There have been no verified infections in Africa to date, but deep trade links with China and often overstretched healthcare systems are raising concerns about the capacity to respond to an outbreak.

The World Health Organization (WHO) on Thursday declared a global emergency as coronavirus infections spread, after initially downplaying the threat.

"Our greatest concern is the potential for the virus to spread to countries with weaker health systems," WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/chinese-authorities-threaten-kill-pet-21409238
j/c:

EIGHTH case of coronavirus in the US is confirmed in Boston as new study projects 75,000 people could be infected in Wuhan where 259 have died and the Pentagon prepares 1,000 quarantine beds

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7956097/Eighth-confirmed-coronavirus-case-US.html
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
j/c:

EIGHTH case of coronavirus in the US is confirmed in Boston as new study projects 75,000 people could be infected in Wuhan where 259 have died and the Pentagon prepares 1,000 quarantine beds

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7956097/Eighth-confirmed-coronavirus-case-US.html

yea, i saw the 75k number and another article thought that by mid Feb there would be about 350k cases and at the worse part of this outbreak in early April, there would be about 150k cases a day.

Also saw where the locals are saying that it is really bad in the hospitals, that sick people are just laying in hallways dying, that people cant get medical attention for days after days and the Chinese gov't is really under reporting how bad this is. And they don't know the actual death count because people who die are having other causes put on their records and i read something that hospital workers saw some people who died being taken out and cremated and basically not counted.

Again, these are reports not facts, and the Chinese gov't probably isn't going to be completely factual. Neither will other governments.
I'm sure I missed something somewhere, but how does this unknown virus become a near pandemic in only weeks? And how did it get named so quickly, and was able to be identified so quickly?
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
I'm sure I missed something somewhere, but how does this unknown virus become a near pandemic in only weeks? And how did it get named so quickly, and was able to be identified so quickly?

One explanation I read is that the virus has been going on for more than a few weeks. It was under reported to avoid bad press.
It originated back in December, I believe, but it was limited to China then.

For the name, it is only recently named - nCoV-2019 - and that is an as yet unofficial name. 'Coronavirus' is the name of the virus family the virus is part of.

As for the nature of it, it is apparently rather nasty in terms of how readily is spreads.
Plus, the first guy to catch it was drinking a Corona with his snake dinner.
Take your xenophobia to Stormfront.
Drinking a Corona was a play on Coronavirus while the first victim of the virus caught it from eating a snake at the exotic foods area of Wuhan.

Keep the name calling to a minimum if you please.

----

Finally, the team uncovered evidence that the 2019-nCoV likely resided in snakes before being transmitted to humans.

"Results derived from our evolutionary analysis suggest for the first time that snake is the most probable wildlife animal reservoir for the 2019-nCoV,"

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/01/200122150028.htm
We're up over 20,000 cases now.

Of some concern, despite statements that it is mostly the old, sick, etc.... Deaths are running at a rate of about 65% of Recoveries.

Two dying for every three that recovers isn't so great.

The U.S. is still lagging with only 11 cases. I wonder if we actually managed to get ahead of it??
Posted By: GMdawg Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/04/20 12:01 PM
It's just getting started. IMO cry
A CDC scientist was on tv last night saying "this virus is now at a crossroads and we do not know which way it will go."

He meant it could decide to be a virus that makes us sick or it can mutate into a real world wide killer. Time will tell.

Oh yea, almost forgot... willynilly willynilly willynilly
A CDC scientist was on tv last night saying "this virus is now at a crossroads ..."

I think this is where it gets into a guitar battle with Steve Vai....
Posted By: Tulsa Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/04/20 07:03 PM
A CDC scientist was on tv last night saying "this virus is now at a crossroads ..."

I think this is where it gets into a guitar battle with Steve Vai....

Try to stay on topic! willynilly

There were more than 3,100 new cases confirmed in China over the last 24 hours, bringing the total to 24,363 in China and 490 deaths as of 6 a.m. Geneva time, World Health Organization officials said. “In the last 24 hours we had the most cases in a single day since the outbreak started,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said at a press conference. Just 191 of the total cases are outside mainland China and 80% of those cases are concentrated in the Hubei province where the virus was first detected in the city of Wuhan, he said. Of the cases outside of China, 31 of them spread through human-to-human contact, mostly from close friends or relatives who had recently been to China, he said.
Overall, it seems like it is slowing down frown

No new confirmed cases in the US in several days even though there have been almost 300 possible cases. Over 200 have turned out to be negative while 76 are still pending investigation.
Hope. thumbsup
Hope. thumbsup

Indeed!
Another 4000-ish new cases yesterday, including one in the US (Madison, WI, I think) and deaths have picked up again! I want to say that there were about 70 deaths overnight.

The number of cases in Japan have more than doubled to 45.

C'mon, 2019-nCoV!
Posted By: Swish Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/06/20 07:17 PM
Man it doesn’t even turn people into zombies though.

When are we finally gonna get some resident evil type virus?
Yet. It doesn't do that, yet.

and besides, it might be and maybe China is just suppressing that information.

On a side note, the Chinese doc that blew the whistle and leaked the outbreak to the rest of the world died from it today/yesterday.
Posted By: Swish Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/06/20 07:45 PM
Terrible. I’m glad he got the word out before he passed. The Chinese government is doing no one any favors by suppressing the information.
Yep, everything is going just fine!

Nothing to worry about folks...

willynilly willynilly willynilly willynilly
I like the construction worker mosh pit.
The music during the video of the skyscrapers had me expecting a pokemon to come out on screen.
The beginning of the vid reminded me of Swish walking down Euclid Avenue on a Friday night.
But life goes on...

Posted By: Tulsa Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/08/20 06:23 PM
They walk among us.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...iers-homes.html

NPR interviewed a woman yesterday morning in China and she said that she has been trying to get help for 3 sick family members and "they" stopped calling her back a few days ago and now she wont call and ask for help or for them to take her family members to the hospital-because they will take them to a quarantine center and she assumes she will never see them again. The quarantine centers over there are basically limited care places where as she put it-they take you to die and you never hear about your loved ones again. when asked if she thinks the government is lying about the sick/death count-she said she knows they are-thats how they are and they wouldn't go through all this if this virus wasn't a really big deal
Posted By: Swish Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/09/20 12:13 AM
Pangolins are possible coronavirus hosts, scientists say

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pangolins-possible-coronavirus-hosts-scientists-042758577.html

umm......
Posted By: Tulsa Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/09/20 12:20 AM
Pangolins are possible coronavirus hosts, scientists say

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pangolins-possible-coronavirus-hosts-scientists-042758577.html

umm......

Da poor wittle guy, he didn’t do nutin’ to nobody.
The hell is that thing.
Posted By: Swish Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/09/20 02:40 AM
Something that the Chinese apparently thought would taste yummy.
Something that the Chinese apparently thought would taste yummy.

Taste like chicken
If you eat that you deserve to get conronavirus.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/09/20 12:21 PM
The hell is that thing.

Something John Hammond made with DNA from a dinosaur, mixed with a snake's DNA
Coronavirus global cases soar above 60,300

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/13/coronavirus-latest-updates.html
Yeah, I saw that last night and was waiting to see if there was a correction in the data coming or if this is legitimate.

That's a spike of just over 15,000 new cases in one day. Deaths also had a sizable jump with over 200 deaths yesterday. The Death:Recovery ratio had been trending toward 1:5 or 1:6, but yesterday bumped it back to about 1:4.

The cruise ship quarantined in Japan looks like it had a failure in its containment onboard. It was static at 64 cases for a long while, but has since jumped to 175. I would not feel comfy being stuck on that ship right now.

There is another new case in the US, bringing us to 14.
I'm mostly surprised that:
1: India, with its dense population, is still at only 3 cases
2. It has not, yet, found its way to the African continent or South America.
15th case now confirmed in Texas.

I think the sudden rise in the infected is because China has been under reporting the numbers but is making an effort to catch up.

The Media hypes this virus because it gets viewers. If they would start reporting that nearly 99 percent survive, it would hurt business.

This virus is having a severe effect on the worlds economy that isn't showing in the markets yet. I think the world market will take a dive once we see the economic damage before it makes a tremendous comeback once the virus is under control.

My Opine and 5 bucks will get you a coffee at Starbucks.
Ummm... of those no longer infected, currently nearly 20% are dead.
Your math is a bit off Purp.

It’s been holding around 2-2.5% mortality rate.

——————————

I’m a bit annoyed at the anti-science “oh, it’ll die off!” narrative Trump and Winnie the Pooh are pushing. Scientists and doctors are saying this will probably be around a bit longer. It’s thriving in warmer countries south of China.
not "of those no longer infected".

I am not counting those currently infected; they are still in the undecided column. Of those whose resolution is known, almost 20% are dead, the others are fully recovered.
20% is a big number.

The Spanish flu in 1917 or so killed maybe 30 million people.

Time to lock it down because the 20 dirty folks here are going to kill thousands more.

Sorry for them, but screw them, I don't want them back, killing thousands more.

If you knew someone had a VD or crabs, would you still do it?

I think not. Well, I don't want infected people around me or anyone else.
Science has evolved since then. No need to totally lock people down as we can keep them in quarantine for 14 days. We monitor their symptoms and then let them go after 14 days.

Shouldn’t have to punish those who are healthy and not treat those unfairly who catch a highly contagious virus. We can help them. That’s what our country stands for as per the Statue of Liberty.
20% is a big number.

If you knew someone had a VD or crabs, would you still do it?

I think not. Well, I don't want infected people around me or anyone else.

First of all, I don't know about that 20 percent number, the death rate is listed around 2 percent.

Secondly, the VD thing, I would simply introduce them to Purp and walk away.
First of all, I don't know about that 20 percent number, the death rate is listed around 2 percent.

The 2% number you see would be of the total number of confirmed infected. This way of looking at it is really only useful once the majority are no longer infected and it is more of a predictor. The current state is not that. The current state still has the majority fighting the virus for several weeks and cases only slowly resolving. I mean, using this way of looking at it now, your recovery rate is only 9%.... doesn't exactly sound right, does it?

The nearly 20% is the percentage of those no longer infected.. it does not include those still fighting the infection. Of those whose status is resolved, almost 20% are dead.

Check my math, it isn't hard.

1370 total dead
6296 total Recovered

7662 people are done with the virus.
1370 dead is 17.88% of the total 7662

(yes, I rounded up, hence the continued use of the word 'nearly')

Secondly, the VD thing, I would simply introduce them to Purp and walk away.

Hey, a guy's gotta have a hobby...
rofl
Posted By: GMdawg Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/13/20 10:09 PM

Psssttt Portland just how many kids have you adopted from the parents that died from this Virus.??????? I mean come on you support 110 percent those who love to travel all around the world and bring this crap back to the good old USA. You support travelers just as much as I support abortion being outlawed (except for the mothers health or the babies health) Lets be honest here. You bash me for not supporting abortion, yet you support people bringing back diseases from other countries.
Well, as you'll soon be told: "That's different."
Posted By: GMdawg Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/13/20 10:51 PM
Oh I know that bro. But the truth is in the pudding and most people can see that.
No one has proven where this virus came from. There's lots of clickbait articles saying "it came from this thing!", but no study has actually pinpointed where it came from.

Please stop the xenophobia.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/13/20 11:01 PM
I have zero xenophobia. I stated my feeling about this problem when it first came out. I see no reason for folks to run all around the world. Others disagree with me. That doesn't make either one of us right.
No one has proven where this virus came from. There's lots of clickbait articles saying "it came from this thing!", but no study has actually pinpointed where it came from.

Please stop the xenophobia.

Uh............it's pretty much been pinpointed, regardless of any study/studies. There are times we don't have to wait for 'studies' to tell us where something came from. This is one of those times. This is not a zenophobia, as you like to toss that term around, a lot.
You say
Quote:
yet you support people bringing back diseases from other countries.

furthering with a point of
Quote:
I have zero xenophobia.

when the definition of xenophobia is
Quote:
fear and hatred of strangers or foreigners or of anything that is strange or foreign

according to Merriam-Webster.

I rest my case.
Going to China isn't strange or foreign. Bring back a virus.........well, you do the math there.

How do you feel about the smallpox, influenze, and other viruses/diseases the spanish brought to the native americans? After all, the Spaniards were only trying to visit new places.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/13/20 11:17 PM
You rested nothing but your own mind. I believe it was resting already but hey to each their own. I have ZERO hatred of strangers or foreigners. I have a concern of being killed by a virus that should have never made it's way to the good old USA.
I will not engage in whatabouts.

If you'd like to start a thread talking about the genocide of Indigenous cultures in north, central, and south America, go for it. I'll gladly participate in a discussion in that thread.

This is from 30 January, but could be from today with the additional 30% jump.

Takeaways:

1. a Senator saying openly that it is aerosolized
2. Wuhan is home to a Level 4 Biocontainment and Research facility
3. this one IS a big deal, even if it is developing slowly here in the US
Wait............so now bringing the flu, small pox, and other viruses to north america is genocide? And bringing the coronavirus to america is xenophobia?

There is a reason when I went to Africa I had to get all kinds of shots to immunize me from viruses and/or diseases that were extremely possible for me to get, and bring back. That wasn't xenophobia. Neither was it xenophobia when I was told I couldn't donate blood a year and a half later since I'd been to Africa.

In your enlightened, academic life, perhaps you've missed out on some things, while learning new words to toss about to fit your great learnedness?

You won't engage in whatabouts when it suits you.
Posted By: Swish Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/13/20 11:42 PM
how many kids have YOU adopted from parents who died?
It seems early treatment is key. Rumors suggest that this has been going on since mid-november in Wuhan, and the doctors had no clue what they were dealing with.

The majority of the cases are in Wuhan and Hubei province. Early studies suggest an incubation period of 14-21 days, and that you may not show symptoms if you are infected.

Antivirals are showing some promise. Problem is these are experimental which means more legality and unsure if they'll work on a large scale. The patient in Seattle recovered due to experimental treatments.
Wait, rocket just told us there is no proof of where the virus came from.

But, as to your point.........if incubation is 14-21 days, if you aren't showing symptoms..........who gets treated? Everyone? Only those showing symptoms? Those that have it and everyone they came in contact with in the last 14-21 days?

Can't, they are all quarantined.
Wait, rocket just told us there is no proof of where the virus came from.

It's a lot harder to determine source than figure out the infection path and incubation period.

Not all of these things are mutually exclusive tongue

Quote:
But, as to your point.........if incubation is 14-21 days, if you aren't showing symptoms..........who gets treated? Everyone? Only those showing symptoms?

Right now, I think we're putting people on mandatory quarantine? I know those we have flown out that have done government business over there are currently on military bases.

Quote:
Those that have it and everyone they came in contact with in the last 14-21 days?

Reports are that the people who have been around Wuhan/Hubei from the US have to stay home for 14 days, monitor their temperature, and immediately report any signs or symptoms.

From a friend, I know they're being strict at customs with screenings and such. They're trying their best.

It doesn't help when you have someone saying "oh, we've got it locked down!" or "it'll die by April" with no evidence. Anti-science policies or actions could make this into a much bigger mess.

And no, this is not a swipe at you over studies or science facts.
Just to clarify for everyone, the middle paragraph you quoted as me saying that, was not me.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/14/20 09:55 AM

ZERO
Keeping things in context...

In total, the CDC estimates that up to 42.9 million people got sick during the 2018-2019 flu season, 647,000 people were hospitalized and 61,200 died. That's fairly on par with a typical season, and well below the CDC's 2017-2018 estimates of 48.8 million illnesses, 959,000 hospitalizations and 79,400 deaths
No worries, China got this...

Psssttt Portland just how many kids have you adopted from the parents that died from this Virus.??????? I mean come on you support 110 percent those who love to travel all around the world and bring this crap back to the good old USA. You support travelers just as much as I support abortion being outlawed (except for the mothers health or the babies health) Lets be honest here. You bash me for not supporting abortion, yet you support people bringing back diseases from other countries.

The same number you’ve adopted from those that would have chosen abortion if it hadn’t been for your generosity in caring for their offspring.

Can’t wait to travel again. Hopefully SE Asia in late 2020, early 2021. Want to come by for a slideshow when I get back?
Just keep them over there.

Why would anyone want to be around infected people....infected with anything?

I’ve been a nurse for 23 years. If I was as scared as you I’d have never survived my career. I don’t WANT to work with MRSA or VRSA patients. I do it because it’s what I do. By no means am I comparing myself to those on the front lines of situations like these. I’m just stating some do things that are bigger than them.
You should feel thankful that there are some people brave enough to walk towards the bullets.

I’ve been a nurse for 23 years. If I was as scared as you I’d have never survived my career. I don’t WANT to work with MRSA or VRSA patients. I do it because it’s what I do. By no means am I comparing myself to those on the front lines of situations like these. I’m just stating some do things that are bigger than them.
You should feel thankful that there are some people brave enough to walk towards the bullets.

First, I am not scared. If I die tomorrow I have had a full life.

Second, I do appreciate you folks on the front line. Not sure where you thought I didn't? I have two good friends, married who are on FEMA call.

In a wide spread breakout, surely you understand that containment is important. Right? Or am I wrong? Letting it spread is no big deal?
Posted By: GMdawg Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/15/20 01:27 PM
Quote:
Can’t wait to travel again. Hopefully SE Asia in late 2020, early 2021. Want to come by for a slideshow when I get back?

Actually I would since I have not had the pleasure of meeting you in person yet.
Keeping things in context...

In total, the CDC estimates that up to 42.9 million people got sick during the 2018-2019 flu season, 647,000 people were hospitalized and 61,200 died. That's fairly on par with a typical season, and well below the CDC's 2017-2018 estimates of 48.8 million illnesses, 959,000 hospitalizations and 79,400 deaths

Ok, then I shall ask why;
Why did they basically completely shut down Wuhan-an area with 2-3 million more people than New York City.
Why as NPR reported yesterday that on one line at Foxconn plant where there were normally 4000 workers, there were about 12 working. The one NPR interviewed said that the bosses are trying to keep them at the plant to get any production-and he has to go back home to school. They hired some school kids before the holiday but kept them working because the normal workers cant come back. About 1 million migrant workers have not made anything for weeks. If this goes on much more-China's GDP will take a serious hit.

Why do they have police and government workers at many apartment buildings and other government buildings scanning people as they enter and in some cases taking them away.

I have thought for a while that this is worse than the flu outbreak, that the numbers reported from workers at the cremation sites are way over 100 a day, the fog/smoke from the cremation sites in Wuhan is thick-
that the numbers of patients sickened and the mortality rate are way off-under reported
If I had an answer, I would give it to you, but I don't know.

Sooner or later we will have those answers.
To Tame Coronavirus, Mao-Style Social Control Blankets China
February 15, 2020 in Business, News 7 min read
5.2k 52
To Tame Coronavirus, Mao-Style Social Control Blankets China
SHARES
VIEWS
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
SHANGHAI — China has flooded cities and villages with battalions of neighborhood busybodies, uniformed volunteers and Communist Party representatives to carry out one of the biggest social control campaigns in history.

The goal: to keep hundreds of millions of people away from everyone but their closest kin.

The nation is battling the coronavirus outbreak with a grass-roots mobilization reminiscent of Mao-style mass crusades not seen in China in decades, essentially entrusting front line epidemic prevention to a supercharged version of a neighborhood watch.

Housing complexes in some cities have issued the equivalents of paper hall passes to regulate how often residents leave their homes. Apartment buildings have turned away their own tenants if they have come from out of town. Train stations block people from entering cities if they cannot prove they live or work there. In the countryside, villages have been gated off with vehicles, tents and other improvised barriers.

Despite China’s arsenal of high-tech surveillance tools, the controls are mainly enforced by hundreds of thousands of workers and volunteers, who check residents’ temperature, log their movements, oversee quarantines and — most important — keep away outsiders who might carry the virus.

Residential lockdowns of varying strictness — from checkpoints at building entrances to hard limits on going outdoors — now cover at least 760 million people in China, or more than half the country’s population, according to a New York Times analysis of government announcements in provinces and major cities. Many of these people live far from the city of Wuhan, where the virus was first reported and which the government sealed off last month.

Throughout China, neighborhoods and localities have issued their own rules about residents’ comings and goings, which means the total number of affected people may be even higher. Policies vary widely, leaving some places in a virtual freeze and others with few strictures.

China’s top leader, Xi Jinping, has called for an all-out “people’s war” to tame the outbreak. But the restrictions have prevented workers from returning to factories and businesses, straining China’s giant economy. And with local officials exercising such direct authority over people’s movements, it is no surprise that some have taken enforcement to extremes.

Li Jing, 40, an associate professor of sociology at Zhejiang University in the eastern city of Hangzhou, was almost barred from taking her husband to a hospital recently after he choked on a fish bone during dinner. The reason? Her neighborhood allows only one person per family to leave the house, every other day.

“Once the epidemic was disclosed, the central government put huge pressure on local officials,” Professor Li said. “That triggered competition between regions, and local governments turned from overly conservative to radical.”

“Even when the situation is relieved or if the mortality rate turns out not to be high, the government machine is unable to change direction or tune down,” she added.

China’s prevention efforts are being led by its myriad neighborhood committees, which typically serve as a go-between for residents and the local authorities. Supporting them is the government’s “grid management” system, which divides the country into tiny sections and assigns people to watch over each, ensuring a tight grip over a large population.

Zhejiang Province, on China’s southeastern seaboard, has a population of nearly 60 million and has enlisted 330,000 “grid workers.” Hubei Province, whose capital is Wuhan, has deployed 170,000. The southern province of Guangdong has called upon 177,000, landlocked Sichuan has 308,000 and the megacity of Chongqing has 118,000

The authorities are also combining enormous manpower with mobile technology to track people who may have been exposed to the virus. China’s state-run cellular providers allow subscribers to send text messages to a hotline that generates a list of provinces they have recently visited.

At a high-speed rail station in the eastern city of Yiwu this past week, workers in hazmat suits demanded that passengers send the text messages that show their location data before being allowed to leave.

An app developed by a state-run maker of military electronics lets Chinese citizens enter their name and national ID number and be told whether they may have come in contact, on a plane, train or bus, with a carrier of the virus.

It is too early to say whether China’s strategy has contained the outbreak. With large numbers of new infections being reported every day, the government has clear reasons for minimizing human contact and domestic travel. But experts say that in epidemics, overbearing measures can backfire, scaring infected people into hiding and making the outbreak harder to control.

“Public health relies on public trust,” said Alexandra L. Phelan, a specialist in global health law at Georgetown University. “These community-level quarantines and the arbitrary nature in which they’re being imposed and tied up with the police and other officials is essentially making them into punitive actions — a coercive action rather than a public health action.”

In Zhejiang, one of China’s most developed provinces and home to Alibaba and other technology companies, people have written on social media about being denied entry to their own apartments in Hangzhou, the provincial capital. Coming home from out of town, they say, they were asked to produce documents from landlords and employers or be left on the street.

For Nada Sun, who was visiting family in Wenzhou, a coastal city in Zhejiang, a health scare turned into a mandatory quarantine.

When Ms. Sun, 29, complained of tightness in her chest this month, her mother told her to go to the hospital. She did not have a high fever, yet the hospital gave her a battery of checks. All came back negative for the virus.

Even so, when she returned to her apartment, she was told that she would be quarantined for two weeks. She was also added to a group on the WeChat messaging app with a local Communist Party secretary and other volunteers in which she has to submit her temperature and location twice a day.

“I’m worried they have too much information,” Ms. Sun said.

The lockdowns are not necessarily oppressive. Many people in China have been happy to wall themselves off, ordering groceries online and working from home if they can. Some neighborhood officials act with a humane touch.

Bob Huang, a Chinese-born American living in northern Zhejiang, said the volunteers at his complex had helped chase down a man who stayed out overnight to drink, in violation of rules about how often people can step outside. Yet they also delivered food from McDonald’s to a quarantined family.

Mr. Huang, 50, has been able to dodge the restrictions by using a special pass from the property manager, and he has been driving around delivering protective face masks to friends. Some building complexes don’t let him in. Others take down his information.

A nearby village took a less orthodox approach.

“They always start asking questions in the local dialect, and if you can respond in the local dialect, you are allowed to go in,” Mr. Huang said. Unable to speak the dialect, he had to wait, though the villagers were friendly. They gave him a folding chair, offered him a cigarette and didn’t ask for an ID.

Some parts of China have imposed other, often severe policies for fending off the epidemic.

Hangzhou has barred pharmacies from selling analgesics to force people with symptoms to seek treatment at hospitals. The eastern city of Nanjing requires anybody who takes a cab to show ID and leave contact information. Yunnan Province wants all public places to display QR codes that people must scan with their phones whenever they enter or exit.

Many places have banned large gatherings. The police in Hunan Province this month destroyed a mahjong parlor where they found more than 20 people playing the tile game.

With local governments deciding such policies largely on their own, China has become a vast patchwork of fiefs.

“It can be quite haphazard,” said Zhou Xun, a historian of modern China at the University of Essex in England. “A perfect plan on paper often turns into makeshift solutions locally.”

Officials seem to recognize that some local authorities have gone too far. This month, Chen Guangsheng, the deputy secretary general of Zhejiang’s provincial government, called it “inappropriate” that some places had employed “simple and crude practices,” like locking people into their homes to enforce quarantines.

Zhang Yingzi’s apartment complex in Hangzhou initially forbade anybody who had been out of town from entering. Later, the ban was adjusted to cover only people coming from Hubei Province and the Zhejiang cities of Wenzhou and Taizhou, both of which have had many cases of the new virus.

“Banning everyone from out of town wasn’t realistic,” said Ms. Zhang, 29, an accountant. “There are so many of them, after all. Some needed to come back for work.”

Still, many in China are uneasy about loosening up virus controls too quickly.

Zhang Shu, 27, worries that her parents and neighbors are becoming cavalier about the virus, even as workers drive around her village near Wenzhou with loudspeakers telling people to stay home.

“Ordinary people are slowly starting to feel that the situation isn’t so horrible anymore,” Ms. Zhang said. “They are restless.”

Alexandra Stevenson contributed reporting from Hong Kong. [censored] Yiwei and Lin Qiqing contributed research.
Business
Cost of China's anti-virus fight rises with workers idle
JOE McDONALD
Associated PressFebruary 15, 2020, 9:28 PM EST

BEIJING (AP) — Real estate agent Du Xuekun’s sales usually jump after the Lunar New Year holiday. But this year, Du has been at home for a month with no income after vast swathes of China’s economy were shut down in a sweeping effort to contain a virus outbreak.

Du, who lives in Jiaozhuo, near the central city of Zhengzhou, is one of millions of people who are bearing the soaring cost of the most extreme anti-disease measures ever imposed. Some businesses are reopening, but Beijing has told the public to stay home if possible.

“People will buy food and clothes online but for sure won’t buy an apartment without seeing it,” said Du.

Industries from auto sales to travel to retailing effectively shut down after curbs were imposed starting Jan. 23 with the suspension of most access to Wuhan, an industrial metropolis of 11 million people at the center of the outbreak.

Travel restrictions expanded to cities with more than 60 million people, while curbs on business spread nationwide. The Lunar New Year holiday was extended to keep factories and offices closed. Nationwide, thousands of restaurants and cinemas have been shut to prevent crowds from gathering.

The rising losses threaten to become a political liability for the ruling Communist Party. Local officials have been ordered to revive business activity but are moving cautiously.

By Sunday, some 1,665 deaths and 68,500 cases had been reported in the two months since the first infections in December.

Economists warn optimism that the disease might be under control is premature. Even if auto manufacturing and other business resumes as planned, activity won’t be back to normal until at least mid-March.

Losses are expected to be so large that forecasters have cut estimates for China’s economic growth.

Forecasters including Capital Economics say growth, already at multi-decade lows, might fall to 2% in the three months ending in March, down from the previous quarter’s official figure of 6%.

“If the economy really gets into a tailspin, the challenge for the party will be substantially increased,” said Steve Tsang, director of the China Institute at London’s School of Oriental and African Studies.

Locking down Wuhan might have hurt more than it helped by causing panic and was “very damaging to the economy,” said Tsang.

“They will have to rethink the lockdown approach,” he said.

The ruling party has responded to the mounting economic pressure by promising tax breaks and subsidies to companies hurt by the anti-disease measures.

The government needs to “maintain stable economic operation and social harmony," President Xi Jinping said Wednesday.

On Friday, the Ministry of Finance announced that companies with monthly sales below 100,000 yuan ($14,000) will be exempt from value-added and other taxes. It said companies that cannot repay loans might be allowed to invoke “force majeure,” a last-resort legal measure that can waive obligations in disasters.

Travel and hospitality were hardest-hit after the government canceled group tours and told businesspeople to put off travel. Airlines canceled thousands of flights and hotels closed.

The manager of a travel agency in Shenyang, the biggest city in China’s northeast, said its monthly revenue, usually 100,000 yuan ($14,000), fell to zero. He said the agency still is paying rent and wages of 20,000 yuan ($2,800) a month.

“We don’t expect to see a recovery until May or June,” said the manager, who would give only his surname, Xu. “We do hope the government can give us a tax exemption or reduction, but we still have seen no subsidies.”

Property sales have fallen to almost zero over the past three weeks. The industry employs millions of people and drives demand for appliances, furniture and other consumer goods.

Du, the real estate salesman, said he usually closes two sales a month and earns 7,000-8,000 yuan ($1,000-$1,100). He needs to make a 3,000-yuan ($430) monthly loan payment whether he works or not.

“I have no base salary and live on commission,” said Du, 27. “Without sales, there will be no income.”

Chinese leaders already were struggling to shore up economic growth that slowed to 6.1% last year thanks to weak consumer demand and a tariff war with Washington. Some economists, citing industry surveys and other data, say real growth already was much weaker than that.

The anti-disease measures closed factories that supply the world with smartphones, furniture, shoes, toys and household appliances. That sent shockwaves through other developing countries that supply industrial components and iron ore, copper and other commodities.

South Korea and other economies that rely on China as an export market face potential job losses.

E-commerce companies are hiring extra workers to cope with a flood of demand as families stay home and buy groceries online. But streets in Beijing and other major cities are still empty and eerily quiet.

Auto sales plunged 20.2% in January from a year earlier, deepening a 2-year-old decline in the industry’s biggest global market. Sales fell 9.6% last year to 21.4 million, well below their 2017 peak of 24.7 million.

That is squeezing global automakers that look to China to drive revenue as they spend billions of dollars to develop electric vehicles to meet government sales targets.

“Enterprises are under huge pressure,” said a statement by an industry group, the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers.

China rebounded relatively quickly from its 2002-03 outbreak of SARS, or severe acute respiratory syndrome, but economic conditions now are less rosy.

SARS struck when China was entering a history-making boom powered by construction and exports. Growth peaked at a blistering 14.2% in 2007. By contrast, the latest virus hit in the midst of a slowdown.

In smartphones, Apple, Huawei and other brands face a potential hit because China is both their No. 1 market and global production base.

Shipments might fall as much as 50% this quarter compared with the final three months of 2019, according to research firm Canalys.

There is a “high risk” that component suppliers, with factory workers still stranded in their hometowns by travel bans, “will not be able to ramp up to normal capacity if the outbreak is prolonged,” Canalys said in a report.

Apple and other global vendors face a “serious impact” if the virus spreads and those suppliers close, the report said.

“The current situation will likely lead to some of the worst ever shipment numbers,” it said.
Apple Signals Coronavirus’s Threat to Global Businesses
Supply is a problem, the company warned, as factories slowly reopen in China, and demand is down, too, with stores there still mostly closed.

A closed Apple store in Chengdu earlier this month.
A closed Apple store in Chengdu earlier this month.Credit...Yuyang Liu for The New York Times
Daisuke Wakabayashi
By Daisuke Wakabayashi
Feb. 17, 2020
Updated 9:44 p.m. ET

SAN FRANCISCO — Apple on Monday became one of the first companies to reveal how the coronavirus that has gripped China was affecting its business, saying it was cutting its sales expectations for this quarter, which a month ago it had projected to be robust.

The iPhone maker, which is highly dependent on Chinese factories and Chinese consumers, said in a statement that its supply of smartphones would be hampered because production was ramping up more slowly than expected as China reopened its factories. Apple also said that demand for its devices in China had been hurt by the outbreak; it closed all 42 of its stores in the country last month and most have yet to reopen.

“Work is starting to resume around the country, but we are experiencing a slower return to normal conditions than we had anticipated,” said Apple, one of the world’s most valuable public companies.

Many global firms rely on factories in China to manufacture goods as varied as socks and laptop computers. And Chinese consumers, who had ridden a wave of rising wealth, had been avid buyers of luxury goods, iPhones and many other items.

Fears over the coronavirus’s impact on the global economy and business have been growing. As of Tuesday morning in China, more than 72,000 people had been infected by the coronavirus and over 1,800 had died worldwide, officials reported. About three-quarters of a billion people in China are under some kind of lockdown orders, according to a New York Times analysis.

Apple’s action on Monday “is the first of many we’re going to see around the coronavirus impact,” said Daniel Ives, managing director of equity research at Wedbush Securities. “Apple is heavily exposed. It confirms the worst fears that the iPhone impact was going to be more dramatic than expected.”

Apple, which is widely regarded as a bellwether of global supply and demand for goods, has bet big on China in recent years. Timothy D. Cook, the chief executive, worked with China’s telecom providers to introduce the iPhone in the country last decade. After that, Apple’s already substantial sales took off further. China is now the company’s second largest market after the United States.
It seems that it is either petering out, or they've stopped reporting real numbers.

After a massive spike of 15,000 new cases in one day just six days ago, we're down to just 75 new cases globally.
‘Chernobyl-like’ response by China means ‘worst is yet to come’ for coronavirus, Raymond James says

-China’s delayed reaction to the coronavirus outbreak appears to be “sowing real concerns among the Chinese people,” Raymond James said in a note to clients Monday.

-The firm said the lack of a swift governmental response is stoking comparisons to the Chernobyl nuclear disaster in 1986.

-“If this virus becomes a true global pandemic, the actions by the Chinese leadership will come under great fire as they no doubt contributed to the spread,” the firm said.

-Raymond James said that following conversations with government officials and academics, it believes the “worst is yet to come” and that the “market is underappreciating the potential dangers...”

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/18/chernoby...james-says.html
Posted By: Swish Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/18/20 04:41 PM
This freaking virus might be the trigger for the correction In the markets that is long overdue.

All because people wanna eat crap they got no business eating, and a government that’s more concerned about optics than saving its people.

Human race = constantly learning lessons the hard way.
Disagree.

These things have happened, probably hundreds of times, and the

Human Race = learns nothing.
Disagree.

These things have happened, probably hundreds of times, and the

Human Race = learns nothing.

For once I agree with 40. We don't learn we just re-direct blame to justify continuation of what we want to do.

All because people wanna eat crap they got no business eating

Well, that's the publicly stated reason, anyway. It's *probably* just coincidence that it all started in the same city as China's ONLY Level 4 Biocontainment & Research facility.

Quote:
, and a government that’s more concerned about optics than saving its people.

could be tied to the above... reluctant to let word out because they know EXACTLY where it came from.
Yes, I have been wondering about that Level 4 Biocontainment & Research facility.

Just like Lime Disease getting its start near one of our research facilities.

All because people wanna eat crap they got no business eating

Well, that's the publicly stated reason, anyway. It's *probably* just coincidence that it all started in the same city as China's ONLY Level 4 Biocontainment & Research facility.

Quote:
, and a government that’s more concerned about optics than saving its people.

could be tied to the above... reluctant to let word out because they know EXACTLY where it came from.

I saw something over the weekend saying it had nothing to do with that market or food. Some researcher was mad that China wasted our time on that as the source. Can't remember where I saw it.

EDIT: My bad it was Tom Cotton saying it was not the market and accusing the biolab.

https://www.newsweek.com/gop-senator-tom...-market-1487584

And there was this

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/01/...eading-globally
NEWS
Chinese bank to destroy cash in areas hit by coronavirus
By Jackie SaloFebruary 16, 2020 | 1:19pm
Enlarge Image

China’s central bank will reportedly destroy some cash in areas hard-hit by the coronavirus to prevent contagion.

People’s Bank of China has ordered the return of paper currency in circulation at hospitals, animal markets and buses near the country’s hot zones in order to destruct potentially-contaminated bills, the South China Morning Post reported.

Other locations in the country will have their bills locked up for at least 14 days as the money comes back to local banks, while less impacted areas are required to place cash in a week of quarantine, according to Bloomberg News.

During the quarantine, the cash will be subjected to a disinfection process that involves ultraviolet light.

“Money from key virus-hit areas will be sanitized with ultraviolet rays or heated and locked up for at least 14 days, before it is distributed again,” PBOC deputy governor, Fan Yifei, said.

Nearly 7.8 billion yuan, or $1.1 billion, was removed from circulation in the Guangdong province between Feb. 3 and 13, while another 3 billion yuan, $429 million, or was put back into circulation, South China Morning Post reported.

The government has also halted the transfer of cash across provinces, as well as between cities most impacted by the epidemic, according to Bloomberg.

Meanwhile, the bank will churn out 600 billion yuan, or $85.6 billion, in new bills to the Hubei province, the epicenter of the outbreak, to prevent any disruption to the money supply, officials said.
It’s nature’s way of telling us we’re doing something wrong. And it’s nature’s way to do anything to remove it’s natural enemy. Humans.
UT Austin announces coronavirus 'breakthrough' could help yield vaccine

Researchers at the National Institute of Health (NIH) and the University of Texas at Austin claimed to have made a breakthrough in their coronavirus research on Wednesday and said their data could help develop a vaccine.

Scientists were able to create a 3D atomic-scale map of the part of the virus that attaches itself to human cells and causes infection, according to UT News. Mapping what researchers call the "spike protein" is a vital step toward developing vaccines and antiviral drugs.

Jason McLellan, an associate professor at UT Austin, spoke with Fox News on Thursday about the virus and said researchers hope to study the 3D map, in an effort to develop antibodies that can help fight the disease.

"What we've been able to do is produce the molecule that's on the surface of the coronavirus in our lab. So the surface of the virus contains these spike molecules that sort of resemble mushrooms and they use these molecules to bind to our cells and then cause the virus to enter the cells," he said.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/ut-austin-announces-coronavirus-vaccine-breakthrough

Hope thumbsup
UT Austin announces coronavirus 'breakthrough' could help yield vaccine

Researchers at the National Institute of Health (NIH) and the University of Texas at Austin claimed to have made a breakthrough in their coronavirus research on Wednesday and said their data could help develop a vaccine.

Scientists were able to create a 3D atomic-scale map of the part of the virus that attaches itself to human cells and causes infection, according to UT News. Mapping what researchers call the "spike protein" is a vital step toward developing vaccines and antiviral drugs.

Jason McLellan, an associate professor at UT Austin, spoke with Fox News on Thursday about the virus and said researchers hope to study the 3D map, in an effort to develop antibodies that can help fight the disease.

"What we've been able to do is produce the molecule that's on the surface of the coronavirus in our lab. So the surface of the virus contains these spike molecules that sort of resemble mushrooms and they use these molecules to bind to our cells and then cause the virus to enter the cells," he said.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/ut-austin-announces-coronavirus-vaccine-breakthrough

Hope thumbsup

NPR interviewed researchers and the director of NIH this morning. They think there is hope but it’s not going to be as quick as one might think.
First of 2 rounds of testing on mice and results-couple months.
Develop vaccine and start testing on humans-prob 4 to 6 months
Make sure vaccine works and determine side effects in humans-into next year
Have a vaccine that they could take for a quick approval and begin producing-their guess was at the earliest 18 months

Health officials worry as untraceable virus clusters emerge

https://apnews.com/783c7a396adf5f99b8cff399f9478e36
I haven't followed this very close. You, or anyone, help me out.

They are pretty sure it started in Wuhan, right?

You can have the virus, but not show symptoms for anywhere from 14-21+ days, but you can still spread it even without showing symptoms? Is that correct?

Because, if so, this could get nasty.

For example, just in the last 3 days I've probably shook hands with 50 or so people. I have no clue where they've been, who else they've been around, who THOSE people have been around, etc.

If it's possible to have the virus, but not show symptoms for 20+ days, yet still be contagious, how do you approach stopping it?
Posted By: Swish Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/22/20 11:23 PM

You can have the virus, but not show symptoms for anywhere from 14-21+ days, but you can still spread it even without showing symptoms? Is that correct?

For example, just in the last 3 days I've probably shook hands with 50 or so people. I have no clue where they've been, who else they've been around, who THOSE people have been around, etc.

If it's possible to have the virus, but not show symptoms for 20+ days, yet still be contagious, how do you approach stopping it?

Nuclear warhead?
Posted By: Swish Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/23/20 07:01 PM
Italy's coronavirus outbreak is the biggest outside Asia

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-02-23-20-hnk-intl/index.html

Looks like are on some black plaque stuff right now.
SK and Italy have been testing everyone who is remotely related to the initial cases, so that's part of their spike.

The 2% mortality rate is holding in both countries, and it's only the elderly or those who have pre-existing medical conditions. There are some outliers, but that's nothing out of the ordinary.

Nuclear warhead?

Good site for everyone.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

They pull data from all sources. It gives you a good breakdown.
I was looking at the data earlier this evening and seeing how South Korea is the non-Chinese leader of the pack. Then, I noticed the absolute absence of anything in North Korea and immediately surmised it to be because of how shut down/shut off they are in terms of news & information and I got to wondering.... just how bad will it get there? Does North Korea implode because of this?

Also, how are there no cases in Africa or South America (with the exception of the single Egyptian case in the last couple days)?
Good site for everyone.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

They pull data from all sources. It gives you a good breakdown.

Site I use
Dow to open 700 points down today due to fears of lost production in China over this.
Posted By: Swish Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/24/20 12:07 PM
yea, markets all over the world have been taking a beat down today over the virus.
Forget the Markets! If you are an investor, Corona is going to be just a blip in another year or two.

As a Human, be aware it has now spread to South Korea, Italy, Iran and others! We can no longer stop it at our airports because it is no longer tied to Chinese passengers or those who have recently traveled to China.

One thing left to do... willynilly

Hope
Posted By: Swish Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/24/20 10:17 PM
well first as a human, this sucks.

as an investor, it also sucks. this could potentially trigger a global recession, and i dunno if the sell off will be isolated for just today and maybe tomorrow.

wealthy people and corporations love using crap like the virus as an excuse to sell their already overvalued stock. and with the fed not having much wiggle room because of low rates, im not optimistic.
As a human, I have found some hope again.

These viruses tend to disappear come warmer weather.

Things could quiet down by the end of April. thumbsup

As an investor, that will make this downturn a buying opportunity.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/24/20 11:35 PM
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Dow to open 700 points down today due to fears of lost production in China over this.

As I said earlier (and some folks didn't like it) why in the hell do people feel the need to travel all over the world and spread these viruses????

The answer most folks gave is because we want to. notallthere notallthere notallthere notallthere notallthere

As I said earlier (and some folks didn't like it) why in the hell do people feel the need to travel all over the world and spread these viruses????

The answer most folks gave is because we want to. notallthere notallthere notallthere notallthere notallthere

Because the world is an amazing place. The US is only a tiny fraction of what it has to offer. Most of it cultureless and with little charm. Because I refuse to live in a bubble. A million reasons you’d never understand. Have fun living within your zip code I guess.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/24/20 11:59 PM
Yes well most guys would love to sleep with every good looking woman they see BUT they don't I mean it's OK or that it's the right choice. But that doesn't mean it's the smart thing to do.

I will however admit that I am bias on this subject, and folks should be able to travel where ever they want to. It's just my opinion that it's stupid. Just like it's your opinion thAt i HAVE NO DESIRE TO TRAVEL ALL AROUND THE WORLD. It doesn't make either of us right....just different cool

Be aware it has now spread to South Korea, Italy, Iran and others! We can no longer stop it at our airports because it is no longer tied to Chinese passengers or those who have recently traveled to China.

Austria, Croatia confirm first coronavirus cases
https://www.foxnews.com/health/austria-croatia-confirm-first-coronavirus-cases
Posted By: Swish Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/25/20 03:33 PM
This right here is worrisome.

Not so much Austria. They have great standards of living and a great infrastructure.

But Croatia. Eastern European country that I’ve been too, and ummmm....could get bad. They aren’t as bad as others, but I’m talking more along the lines of the further southeast the virus goes, the worst the quality of life is for Eastern European countries. Countries like Montenegro and Albania are absolute hell holes development wise, and the corona virus can easily spread quickly in those sorts of environments.
True, and I worry what will happen when the virus hits the tent cities of San Francisco, LA, Portland, Seattle, etc...

It will travel through those places like a fire.
Posted By: Swish Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/25/20 04:11 PM
40....I agree.

The homeless problem in those areas would be like Golden Corral for the corona virus.
So do you now agree with me in... willynilly willynilly
Posted By: Swish Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/25/20 04:38 PM
I dunno Just yet. We will see soon enough.
Praying they can find a vaccine soon
I heard where Moderna Inc. has submitted a vaccine for phase one trial.

US health officials say human trials on coronavirus vaccine to start in 6 weeks
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/25/us-healt...in-6-weeks.html

That's a beginning.
That is hopeful.
The CDC just announced it is not a matter of "IF" Corona will become a Pandemic but "WHEN". willynilly
Posted By: Swish Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/25/20 08:39 PM
Slow down. Take a deep breath.

Wait, don’t do that willynilly
Typing while breathing thru a paper bag! willynilly
Good thing trump shut down the NIAID. (National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases) and has yet to appoint new personnel. He's not going to. He took an entire division of the CDC from 50 people to 10 and that was 2 YEARS ago.
trump is a danger to America.
We imported 35 patients from the Diamond Princess cruise liner to the same facility in Nebraska we brought the ebola patients to.

I fully expect human trials to happen there quickly.
Returning to my thoughts on North Korea..... they might get so hard that they can actually feed all of their people when this is over.
Good thing trump shut down the NIAID. (National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases) and has yet to appoint new personnel. He's not going to. He took an entire division of the CDC from 50 people to 10 and that was 2 YEARS ago.

TDS at its finest ...

As of now based off what were being told it’s been contained in this country ... that could blow up at any second and i suspect it will ... BUT FOR NOW based of what we know and the FACTS, to blame your president for gutting the NIAID is plain flat out TDS ...

Nice job finding a way to take a shot at him over here ... thumbsup
Posted By: Swish Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/25/20 10:43 PM
It was stupid to gut it in the first place.

The trump administration isn’t even on the same page with the CDC.
I don’t know enough about it to talk intelligently about it ... all i know is what Port did was TDS at its finest ... thumbsup
Returning to my thoughts on North Korea..... they might get so hard that they can actually feed all of their people when this is over.

North Korea has their wonder drug that cures AIDS, cancer and many more diseases. I am sure it cures Coronavirus too.
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan

North Korea has their wonder drug that cures AIDS, cancer and many more diseases. I am sure it cures Coronavirus too.

It's called death...cures it all...
I think that's how Russia go their two cases "cured" so quickly, lol
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
As of now based off what were being told it’s been contained in this country ...

You may wish to consider your source.
Wow ... your ready for cnn or msnbc ...

Parse the entire quote and post the portion of it that fits your agenda ,,, very nice ... good job, you’ve sunk to a new low ... thumbsup

TDS at its finest ...

As of now based off what were being told it’s been contained in this country ... that could blow up at any second and i suspect it will ... BUT FOR NOW based of what we know and the FACTS, to blame your president for gutting the NIAID is plain flat out TDS ...

Is what I said wrong? Please inform me if it is.
It's pretty simple but you never address the actual subject. You just address the person who posted it. The CDS made it plain by saying, "It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when". That in no way indicates that it's "been contained".

So you go ahead and attack the messenger rather than the actual topic. It's what you do.
This is really good read for everyone:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi...Bkj84gIqidLQrpQ
I did ... may the good lord bless u if u can’t comprehend that ..
Says the guy who parses posts to change there meaning in order to mislead ... CLASS ACT Pit .. a real class act ... thumbsup
So it is contained or it isn't? I see you still refuse to answer that.
I did ... may the good lord bless u if u can’t comprehend that ..

You did nothing of the sort. Did trump cut NIAID and CDC staff and funding or not?
I'm going to assume he did... and I'm going to state that it doesn't matter.

This is happening, and would still happen even if he'd doubled their size and funding instead.

This is happening, and would still happen even if he'd doubled their size and funding instead.

I does matter. We fund these things to help fight outbreaks such as this. We don’t just hope warm weather kills it off.

TDS at its finest ...

There’s my initial post ... I’m not quite sure how much clearer i can be ... u twist the post and Port want’s to act all innocent and parse his post leaving his conclusion out and then asking me questions based on half his post ..

U and Pit have fun living in your hate filled TDS world ... I’m out ... u two enjoy each other .. thumbsup

TDS at its finest ...

There’s my initial post ... I’m not quite sure how much clearer i can be ... u twist the post and Port want’s to act all innocent and parse his post leaving his conclusion out and then asking me questions based on half his post ..

U and Pit have fun living in your hate filled TDS world ... I’m out ... u two enjoy each other .. thumbsup

Faced with facts you fold like a cheap camp chair.
trump cut funding and staff. Period. Have fun living in a trump ‘fact-less’ bubble.
So it is contained or it isn't? I see you still refuse to answer that.

The head of the National Institute of Health said today that yes, it is contained in America.

Fauci praised U.S. health officials for properly containing the virus thus far, and reiterated his call for the public to continue to "do the things you always do" when preventing other viruses, such as the flu.

"If you look at what has been done thus far in this country, it is correct that it has been contained very successfully," Fauci said. "We have not had communities spread from person-to-person -- that is good news.

"It might change, so ... right now it is under control but that doesn't mean you can let your guard down and think that it's nothing to be concerned about."

https://www.foxnews.com/media/dr-anthony-fauci-coronavirus-vaccine-be-prepared

I don't think that's really the issue. I think the issue is the ability to respond to it. I don't know enough about that to say one way or the other but I'm sure that's the concern.
Yet a new case was just reported....

I does matter. We fund these things to help fight outbreaks such as this. We don’t just hope warm weather kills it off.

I think you misunderstand what I'm saying.
It has, and still would have had, absolutely zero impact on the fact that this is going to hit everywhere.

They would not have done anything that NIH and the rest of the world, literally, wasn't already working on.

NIH has it covered, however: The first human trial (from the Diamond Princess) is underway.
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-rel...Kr2ZIPIZiGa_d3I

And it is contained.
And it is contained.

No.
NIH disagrees.
Please show me how/where they state this. Provide links and quotes. Then I'll show you what is either an old article with outdated information, or someone outright lying.

The very fact that there are LARGE pop-up clusters in various countries with no known origin states that it is not contained. With Italy being one of the largest ones, and there being LOTS of tourist traffic between Italy and the US, not to mention between Italy and all of Europe - which also has people traveling to the US, it is now logistically IMPOSSIBLE to consider ourselves contained. It IS coming here. That is NOT hyperbole. Just because the official numbers aren't showing it, yet, does not support an assertion that it is contained.

The genie is out of the bottle. Containment failed.
Ok, I will post it again just for you.

The date is today...

The head of the National Institute of Health said today that yes, it is contained in America.

Fauci praised U.S. health officials for properly containing the virus thus far, and reiterated his call for the public to continue to "do the things you always do" when preventing other viruses, such as the flu.

"If you look at what has been done thus far in this country, it is correct that it has been contained very successfully," Fauci said. "We have not had communities spread from person-to-person -- that is good news.

"It might change, so ... right now it is under control but that doesn't mean you can let your guard down and think that it's nothing to be concerned about."

Ugh, you're arguing semantics by deliberately taking a myopic view.

Yes, I see what he said - and I concede the truth in the statement that the cases that are currently here have remained contained, indeed, but what you are ignoring in favor of latching onto that very meaningless tidbit is the opening paragraphs that very clearly state that it is not contained in the rest of the world, and the rest of the world travels here.

So, yes.... the cases that we know of here in the US are contained thus far. rolleyes

-- THAT ISN'T THE POINT BECAUSE THAT MEANS VERY, VERY LITTLE --

The point is, and the very real threat is, that it is still coming. Not from those cases that we know are here, but from the ones that are not. From Italy, from Spain. From people that wait in line near a person in Morocco who just came from Hungary where they sat for lunch with someone that visited Italy and became a carrier.

Since these large clusters popped up in places like Italy & Iran with no warning and no idea where the source is, and because it can be transmitted before anyone has so much as a sniffle or a fever, these clusters very likely already transmitted it to people traveling through those areas and are now exposing more people in different areas, and so on, and so on, and so on, ad infinitum...

It means that nobody can get ahead of it any longer. There is no more containment, only reactive quarantines after-the-fact.

Posted By: GMdawg Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/26/20 09:18 PM

Nope y'all just act like traveling all over the world is just so, so safe. poke
Well, it is, really.

Traveling is safe. Getting funky with market critters, not so much.

I've seen a good chunk of the world, and aside from the parts that throw lead at you, the worst part was the immunizations you have to get before you go (unless you drink the water in Mexico).
Of course it is a real threat, that is why I started this thread about it.

I agree they may not be able to contain it forever here in America but so far, so good.

He assures us everything that can be done is being done.

The truth is, so far, it ain't much more than an easy to catch Flu. It could go away come spring, never to be seen again or it could come back, year after year, like the Flu.
By then we should have a Corona shot available, just like the Flu shot I get every year.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/26/20 09:30 PM
I was in Mexico once. I didn't eat or drink a damn thing laugh
Posted By: Tulsa Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/26/20 09:32 PM
That water is probably what will kill this virus.

Good thing, you might have gotten the Corona-Virus. wink

That water is probably what will kill this virus.

From a Navy buddy of mine (his version said US Navy where this says Soldiers)...

Of course it is a real threat, that is why I started this thread about it.

I agree they may not be able to contain it forever here in America but so far, so good.

He assures us everything that can be done is being done.

The truth is, so far, it ain't much more than an easy to catch Flu. It could go away come spring, never to be seen again or it could come back, year after year, like the Flu.
By then we should have a Corona shot available, just like the Flu shot I get every year.

Yes, what is here is under control, and no, that will not last.
The only real question is the degree to which it spreads and the impact it has. Once it gets up steam, it will have much more impact than the flu, most likely... and if the guy from Harvard is right, then yes, we will likely see it back every year, and perhaps even mutated.

Kinda like the Browns... the potential for it to be ugly is huge, but it is just as likely to be completely underwhelming.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/26/20 09:46 PM
DAMN ROOKIES
This is really good read for everyone:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi...Bkj84gIqidLQrpQ

Not for people like me with COPD. I just had the influenza A around the holidays and it hospitalized me twice. This crap could be a death sentence to people like me.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/27/20 12:03 AM
Don't worry I am sure all of your neighbors love to fly all over the world then come and visit you frown
Don't worry I am sure all of your neighbors love to fly all over the world then come and visit you frown

Wrap yourself in bubble wrap. Stay on the couch with the curtains pulled. The world is scary.

Not at all, but if it takes off like the flu it will be spread to people in stores, banks, restaurants, and doctors offices... Places geezers go.

Wrap yourself in bubble wrap. Stay on the couch with the curtains pulled. The world is scary.

It is a little more scary when other people don't take precautions and spread their creeping crud to others. Flu is no joke with COPD bro. It's like a weedless Portland, it sucks.
So I just finished listening to Trump address the virus. That was enough to make me want to die, so problem solved.
So I just finished listening to Trump address the virus. That was enough to make me want to die, so problem solved.

Well he is having Pence work his magic on it. Look at his record on containing HIV in Indiana. We’ll be fine.... I’m sure.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/27/20 08:54 AM

I prefer the chair. It feels safer laugh
Posted By: Swish Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/27/20 12:34 PM
jc

so are we blaming this one on the Umbrella Corp. or somebody else?
Wanna know something funny - My best friend is from Toluca Mexico, when he moved here, our water and food made him sick for a while. Like for Americans that travel there, its just different stuff in our water that his body was not used to and made him sick.

I go to Mexico just about every year, drink the water, eat the food - first time I went I got sick but not bad. Never been sick since.
If you go to Mexico and don't eat the food.... I dunno, man.

Coronavirus: CDC didn't immediately test COVID-19 case

Patient could be first case of person-to-person transmission caused by the new coronavirus in the general public in the United States.

The head of a Sacramento health system says that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention did not immediately test a patient in what may be the first case of person-to-person transmission of COVID-19 in the general public in the United States.

Dr. David Lubarsky, the CEO of University of California, Davis, Health, said in a note to staff obtained by NBC News that after the patient was transferred to UC Davis Medical Center on Feb. 19, it asked the centers to conduct testing but the federal agency declined.

"We requested COVID-19 testing by the CDC, since neither Sacramento County nor CDPH is doing testing for coronavirus at this time," said the note, which was signed by Lubarsky and UC Davis Medical Center interim CEO Brad Simmons. (CDPH is an acronym for California’s Department of Public Health.)

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/coronavirus-cdc-didn-t-immediately-test-covid-19-case-n1143996

So this guy caught it without traveling anywhere and picked it up somewhere.
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
If you go to Mexico and don't eat the food.... I dunno, man.
I know right?!
J/C

I still don't get what all the uproar is about.

Let me know if I am missing anything:

The virus is not as dangerous as the flu
The virus doesn't spread as much as the flu as there still have been a lot more cases of the flu than the CV.

Is this about right?
Nope, not really.

It is a good deal more lethal than the flu.
Mortality rate for the flu is right around 0.1%. The accepted current mortality rate for this is 2%. That is a humongous difference.

We don't know too much publicly about how readily this spreads, yet, but it seems to be as readily as the flu, but it also seems to have similar symptoms. A person with just a slight sniffle, or even no symptoms at all, can spread it by proximity.

The flu is currently more prolific, and hopefully it stays that way... but that isn't really likely at all at this point.

Where we are is this:
Back in January, we learned that there might be a big game.
Today, we're learning that we are literally watching the opening Kick-Off happen right now.

Italy and South Korea are the things I've been focused on lately because they are MAJOR hubs of travel. South Korea has the larger numbers, but Italy is the real kicker because it came out of nowhere.

Factor in how large the out-of-nowhere cluster is with tourism and the and rate of exposure and expansion is essentially now unchecked. Prior to this, there was hope that all of China's draconian measures might contain things. We now know that is not the case and containment has failed; it is now in the wild for sure and WILL spread globally.

So, basically, a way to look at it is that there is now a second flu that will be going around, but this one is 20x deadlier, especially for older/weaker folks.
There were reported 82,772 cases according to Wiki and 2814 deaths.

That's .03

MSN article 20 hours ago have similar numbers, not exactlyt he same, but pretty close.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=how+many+have+died+from+coronavirus&FORM=QSRE5

Since December 2019, when the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) was first discovered in Wuhan, China, it has infected more than 81,000 people worldwide, and caused 2,761 deaths, most of which have been in China, according to the most recent information from the World Health Organization (WHO).

Still less than SARS tho.
Check your understanding of decimals real quick wink

0.03 is 3.0% smile
Influenza's mortality rate is 0.001, or 0.1%.

The downfall of SARS (and MERS) was they were TOO deadly and TOO fast.

I already posted this in here, but here it is again to make it easier to find.
Read this: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi...Bkj84gIqidLQrpQ

Check your understanding of decimals real quick wink

0.03 is 3.0% smile
lol no I understand them. didn't meant to put the % after .03. typing too fast. I had edited it before you posted and took it off smile
lol smile
I figured, but I'm a smartass by nature smile

Read the above link for the importance of the differences with SARS.
As for the gross numbers.... I remind you that this kicked off only two months ago and it has been fought with an effort and speed the world has never shown ANY other disease, and it is still where it is now.

Russia closed its border with China weeks ago, man. Let that sink in for a minute.
lol smile
I figured, but I'm a smartass by nature smile

Read the above link for the importance of the differences with SARS.
As for the gross numbers.... I remind you that this kicked off only two months ago and it has been fought with an effort and speed the world has never shown ANY other disease, and it is still where it is now.

Russia closed its border with China weeks ago, man. Let that sink in for a minute.
Yeah, but lets be honest.

Anthrax
Ebola
Swine Flu
etc.

The world (and the US) has a tendency to blow these things out of proportion at times.

I completely concede that point, and HOPEFULLY (kinda) this one falls into that bracket as well, but to be fair, it is the MEDIA tends to blow things out of proportion because they feed on the responses to sensationalism.

This one has the CDC effectively telling people to make plans, now, and the World Health Organization warning governments to prepare for its arrival after Brazil, Georgia, Greece, North Macedonia, Norway, Pakistan and Romania reported their first coronavirus cases in the last day. Italy, Iran, and South Korea are already at epidemic stage. The US just got its first case where patient didn’t have a relevant travel history or exposure to another patient with the virus.

It might be nothing... but, it might be something.
If it's something, that something is big.

With Mr. IQ as president there is a war against the truth and science.

So when he speaks be sure to mute the sound which is much better than listening to lies in every spoken sentence.

Like "this virus will go away when it gets warm."

“The reason why cold weather is presumed to cause spreading of coughs, colds and flu is that cold air causes irritation in the nasal passages and airways, which makes us more susceptible to viral infection,” said Simon Clarke, an expert in cellular microbiology at Britain’s University of Reading.

“It’s entirely possible that we might get a spring-time lull,” said Simon Clarke, an expert in cellular microbiology at Britain’s University of Reading.. “It’s unlikely to make things worse, but we don’t know for sure - it’s an educated guess.”

Paul Hunter, an infectious disease expert at Britain’s University of East Anglia, echoes that, saying he thinks it’s likely “that the disease will decline substantially during the summer months in the northern hemisphere”.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china...s-idUSKBN20F1RG

“It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.”

- Ronald Reagan
You and your buddy need to do more research.

But since science is not your friend that will not happen.

Weather has little to do with how it actually spreads.

"It's not unreasonable to make the assumption" that cases will die down come spring, Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told NPR. "We hope when the weather gets warmer it will diminish a bit," he says.

But he sounds a cautionary note: "However, we don't know that about this [new] coronavirus. We don't have [a] backlog of history."

Dr. Nancy Messionnier of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention sounds a similar note when it comes to predicting a slowdown of cases with warmer weather. "I think it's premature to assume that," she said during a call with reporters on Wednesday. "We haven't been through even a single year with this pathogen."

Given the uncertainty, public health officials say they must plan for the unexpected and for the possibility that the outbreak drags on regardless of the weather.
But you said our President lied about the information at hand.

He and the Scientists are pretty much in agreement.

Look it is quite obvious he says stuff that he has absolutely no knowledge about all the time.

He will say anything at any time if he believes it will make him look good.

Just read the full context of what he has said regarding corona virus. "The flu is more deadly" it is not corona is 20 times more deadly.

No use for a discussion you will believe everything that comes from his lying tongue.
Vice President Mike Pence said that President Trump asked him to reach out to Democratic leaders in Congress, particularly House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer, about efforts to counter the coronavirus outbreak in an effort to "push politics aside."

The President said to me, look I want you to reach out to the Republican and Democrat leadership," Pence said, "Because we want to push politics aside, we want to make sure we get the resources that we need to respond to this to make sure that the CDC, all of our agencies, have the support that they need."

https://www.foxnews.com/media/mike-pence-hannity-trump-coronavirus-pelosi-schumer

It's time to come together because Corona doesn't care how we vote, it's coming for us all.
Posted By: Swish Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/28/20 01:22 AM
then he probably shouldnt be holding press conference blaming the dems for the market drop with regards to the virus.

he already made it about politics.
The Dems were doing the same.

It is time to end the politics and survive this Coronavirus.
“The reason why cold weather is presumed to cause spreading of coughs, colds and flu is that cold air causes irritation in the nasal passages and airways, which makes us more susceptible to viral infection,” said Simon Clarke, an expert in cellular microbiology at Britain’s University of Reading.

“It’s entirely possible that we might get a spring-time lull,” said Simon Clarke, an expert in cellular microbiology at Britain’s University of Reading.. “It’s unlikely to make things worse, but we don’t know for sure - it’s an educated guess.”

Paul Hunter, an infectious disease expert at Britain’s University of East Anglia, echoes that, saying he thinks it’s likely “that the disease will decline substantially during the summer months in the northern hemisphere”.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china...s-idUSKBN20F1RG

“It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.”

- Ronald Reagan

I taught Math and Science. I'm much better at math, but I know a bit about science. I think there is a correlation to cold air and viruses because the virus can survive longer in colder temperatures in both the air and in nasal/airway passages in the human body.

However, it is indisputable that the main reason why these types of viruses spread is because people tend to stay indoors and in crowded locations more during cold weather months. This close contact w/others is the biggest cause of spreading respiratory illnesses.
Posted By: Swish Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/28/20 12:14 PM
Switzerland just got a couple dozen new cases.

And a very bad sign: Nigeria just got its first case.
America has had some bad presidents.

However, not one is less qualified or less equipped to handle this kind of crisis than trump.

The majority of the country does not believe him. He has attacked the media and consistently lied. Now when a true leader is needed to help the country prepare and someone who can speak to the whole country; he continues foster division.

His answer will most likely be to consult a wigi board.
And his followers will believe him.
Posted By: Swish Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/28/20 02:06 PM
well he put pence in charge, so we're gonna combat the virus with thoughts and prayers.

which means you arent too far off from your ouija board prediction.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/28/20 02:18 PM
Posted By: Swish Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/28/20 02:19 PM
name still flows well!
Posted By: Swish Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/28/20 03:08 PM
Oh man, 5 people from that diamond princess cruise ship have died due to the virus.
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Look it is quite obvious he says stuff that he has absolutely no knowledge about all the time.

Just read the full context of what he has said regarding corona virus. "The flu is more deadly" it is not corona is 20 times more deadly.

No use for a discussion you will believe everything that comes from his lying tongue.

It think death numbers are a matter of semantics, as about 50,000 people die from the flu or flu symptoms every year.
So in truth, more total number of people do die from the flu at this point.

Like anyone else using statistics, they choose the numbers that best fit their argument. smile

It think death numbers are a matter of semantics, as about 50,000 people die from the flu or flu symptoms every year.
Yet that doesn't mean its more deadly.

How many people die from a plane crash vs car crashes?

More people die from car crashes each year, but I would argue when a plane crashes, its typically deadlier than a car accident. thumbsup
j/c

Cool: Health Officials, Scientists Banned From Speaking About Coronavirus Without Mike Pence’s Approval

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/02/mike-pence-coronavirus-gag-rule

Now that The White House has pretty much put a gag order on the scientific community, finding out the truth of what's actually is going on just became more difficult.
j/c

How many people in the U.S. have been tested for the coronavirus?

According to the CDC, 445 people have been tested for the virus as of February 25, resulting in 15 confirmed coronavirus infections, including two cases resulting from person-to-person spread, and one case of unknown origin. Those totals only include cases detected and laboratory-tested inside the U.S. — not from people the U.S. has flown back from abroad, like the American passengers on the quarantined Princess Diamond cruise ship in Japan.

There is no centralized count of how many people are being monitored or have been asked to self-quarantine by local and state health officials around the country.

How does U.S. testing compare with other countries?

Not well. While the U.S. has tested less than 500 cases, U.K. health officials have conducted more than 7,100 coronavirus tests as of Wednesday, confirming 13 positive cases, and U.K. authorities have announced aggressive plans to test thousands more, including drive-thru coronavirus testing. South Korea, which is battling the largest known outbreak outside of China, already has drive-thru testing in place and the country’s health officials have already conducted more than 30,000 coronavirus tests — mostly within the last week. And just one province in Canada, Ontario, has already conducted more tests (629) than in the entire U.S.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/02/why-has-the-us-cdc-done-so-little-coronavirus-testing.html

One thing about it is if you don't test many people you never know how much or little the problem is. At least it keeps the number of known cases down. Looks good on paper.
Interesting how we seem to value the stock market over protecting human lives.

Sure gotta love capitalism...
Posted By: FATE Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/28/20 04:40 PM
Oh man, 5 people from that diamond princess cruise ship have died due to the virus.

Had six of us on a Princess ship last month. We held our breath the entire time. fingerscrossed

Yet that doesn't mean its more deadly.

How many people die from a plane crash vs car crashes?

More people die from car crashes each year, but I would argue when a plane crashes, its typically deadlier than a car accident. thumbsup

That is why I stated it's a matter of semantics and picking your statistics.

50,000 people a year die from the flu, less than 3,000 died from CV so far. So depending on the narrative one is pushing, you could say there are more deaths from the flu. naughtydevil

I am not disagreeing with you that CV is more deadly, just stating that the statistics can be used in different ways.
I wonder how the fact that the U.S. has only tested 455 people for the virus can be used in a different way?
I wonder how the fact that the U.S. has only tested 455 people for the virus can be used in a different way?

My honest guess, and that is all it is?

Probably because of our geographic location, we are a long ways from the outbreak, and entry into the US from those places is more controlled that most European and Asian countries that share boarders.

So officials do not see a reason for wide-spread testing, when we can somewhat easily identify those in need of testing.

But like I said, this is just my best guess.

edit: Out of curiosity, I checked Canada, 490 test, 10 positive.
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html

Hong Kong dog tests positive

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/28/coronavirus-latest-updates-outbreak.html

willynilly
I think that it's slightly naive to think that with all of the international travel that has went on since the original report of the coronavirus that we are not in need of far more testing. What I believe the actual problem is, is in not recognizing that fact. With cases now being reported in places like Italy and Brazil, it seems that focusing on people traveling from the Chinese region was very short sighted. Over just the last couple of days Azerbaijan, Belarus, Lithuania, New Zealand and Nigeria have all reported their first cases.

It seems that the White House has done its very best to downplay all of this. But i think at this juncture people need to recognize we need to do a lot more testing to even come close to knowing how much of a problem it is here in the states.
I think that it's slightly naive to think that with all of the international travel that has went on since the original report of the coronavirus that we are not in need of far more testing. What I believe the actual problem is, is in not recognizing that fact. With cases now being reported in places like Italy and Brazil, it seems that focusing on people traveling from the Chinese region was very short sighted. Over just the last couple of days Azerbaijan, Belarus, Lithuania, New Zealand and Nigeria have all reported their first cases.

It seems that the White House has done its very best to downplay all of this. But i think at this juncture people need to recognize we need to do a lot more testing to even come close to knowing how much of a problem it is here in the states.

Like I said, that was my best guess, and now that it seems to be spreading without real trails to the known origin, maybe they take a new stance than whatever they have taken.

These test are not free and require people and resources, so we can't just test everyone, there has to be a criteria of selection, whatever that may be.
I agree. Nothing is ever free. There just comes a time that the cost must be met regardless. This is one of those times.
I read like a week ago, that the current test has delivered a lot of inconclusive results, and they are working on fixing those issues. Which may be part of the reason testing is not more wide-spread.

I'm not sure how other countries are testing but it seems protocol right now is quarantine suspected individuals, and see if symptoms arise, then test??
I'm not sure. I know the woman in northern California was denied a test for a week even when symptoms were showing. I know her test was accurate. There have been reports in some areas that the tests are accurate and contrary reports in other areas.
In the US about 12,000 die per year from the flu at a rate of approx. 1%.

So far the corona virus is tracking at over 2% death rate from those infected.

However, the corona virus differs from the flu and there is a lot that is unknown at this point.

Just a thought: That is comparing the U.S. flu rate deaths, with worldwide CORVID deaths?

However, the corona virus differs from the flu and there is a lot that is unknown at this point.

Like I said in the beginning, it's about semantics and choice of statistics.

12,000 Flu Death (US only) is still more than 3,000 CV deaths (Worldwide). So depending on someones narrative, they will pick the number that best exclaims their point.

So in fact someone saying that more people die from the flu than CV, it currently factual.
And that is why a percentage of deaths is a far more accurate indicator.

LOL, I agree, just pointing out that both can be positions can be speaking truth and facts.

The glass can be half-empty AND half-full. wink
Italy has gone from 0 to almost 900 in one week; increasing on average of 150-200 per day now.

There are 11 towns in the area of Milan that are completely shut down. Like, guarded.

They are testing a person in New York City who presented at the hospital with symptoms after having recently visited Italy.

I could not find anything that said how long ago he visited, what area he was in, nor how long he'd been back before he showed symptoms.

Also, I've learned a few things about numbers with this thing in the last few days.

Currently, about 13% of the people who become infected will remain asymptomatic.
The remaining 87% will get sick to some degree.
MOST will have mild flu-like symptoms.
However, roughly 20% will be in critical care for a sort of severe double pneumonia. There apparently isn't much in-between with it. You're either mild or all-out.

Death rate has climbed a little and is now sitting at about 3.5%
The woman in the San Fran area who was the first community transmission of the disease is in ICU and the mayor of San Fran apparently declared a state of emergency already.

LOL, I agree, just pointing out that both can be positions can be speaking truth and facts.

The glass can be half-empty AND half-full. wink

I've noticed that everyone trying to share a clear idea of this has been using percentages; everyone trying to downplay it - either for themselves or for others - has used actual numbers.

I think the impact on the market is causing a bit of a PR campaign backlash where they're trying to settle people down.
Posted By: Swish Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/28/20 10:51 PM
for me bro, im worried about our country.

i guess its because despite spending the most on healthcare, the best tech, the most money overall, our managing of the flu virus year after year doesnt give me much confidence we can handle a new threat like this.

i mean look at what you just said. italy with from nothing to a ridiculous fast & furious movie in a week.

swtizerland banned any gatherings with over 1000 people, and car shows shut down. no idea whats going down in SK, and did you see one of those officials in Iran? that man was coughing and dizzy while doing the freaking press conference.

i dunno what to expect when (if) it starts spreading around the country. because we arent gonna be able to put millions on lock down like the chinese government did.
The potential of a worst case scenario is indeed ugly. If we get to the point where it is spreading unchecked, that is catastrophic just because of the pressure it will put on everything. Simply keeping enough trucks on the roads to move goods around could potentially become a problem.

The difficult part is that we cannot get ahead of it now, so we will always be reacting to what has already happened, then trying to trace contacts of people as new cases come up. We'll be chasing our tails.

I mean, the guy in NYC.... how many people were on his flights? Where are they all now, and who all have they been in contact with, and so on....
None of that matters if we're dead.

Most of the Pharmaceuticals, like High Blood Pressure pills, Insulin and such, have ingredients made in China. The drug may be assembled here but with missing parts, well you know.

China is closed currently, producing next to nothing.
The supply train has left the tracks and we will be running out of everything originating in China.

See ya.
New case of unknown origin.

I wonder if this is due to the bungling from the reports due to CDC and ill repared leaders.

Glad to know we value gag orders due to rich people and their stocks rather than the health concerns of 99% of Americans.

Gotta love that party of feelings over facts, right?!
I suppose this won't be taken well, but AT THIS TIME, I liken this the ebola scare, the flu scare we get every year, SARS, FARS, etc. I may very well be wrong.

A snow storm where 3:-5" is reported as "many people may die". Schools cancelling, people emptying grocery stores............or "A possible hurricane may be forming off the coast of Africa, and it could bring 400 mph winds to the east coast of the u.s. with possible storm surges of 1 mile...............etc.

I hope I'm not wrong. Could be though, as the infection rate is unknown at this time, as well as the incubation time. But I certainly don't see the need to test everyone. People worry. We all do, no doubt.

All we can do at this time is monitor it. JMO
FWIW: I think your takes are reasonable and you come across as a fair person who isn't just choosing a side.
Posted By: Swish Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/29/20 01:29 AM
Breaking: woman in California has virus, with no recent travels overseas. Brings total known cases to 63 in the US.
SARS & MERS were too effective for their own good. They were very real, very scary viruses, but they work too quickly and burned themselves out.

I recommend reading the article from The Atlantic posted earlier. It will give you a an understanding of how and why this one is different.
Another one, or the one from the other day??
I suppose we will be hear these constant drip drip of incidents until we reach tens of thousands who are infected.
Posted By: Swish Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/29/20 01:49 AM
Another one unfortunately.
Posted By: Swish Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/29/20 01:50 AM
Bro you know it’s gonna be drip drip drip. This country is so freaking big and everybody drives. No telling where it might pop up.
It'll be drip-drip-drip, until the drips start getting bigger.

Right now, for now, the flu is still by far a bigger worry, but that's basically just a matter of time.
Posted By: Swish Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/29/20 02:02 AM
I agree it’s a bigger worry, but now I have to ask:

Due to us still being in peak flu season, what’s the likelihood that we completely whiff in properly diagnosing the virus and calling it a normal flu?
My point is it will be drip drip drip until so many are infected the drip drip drip will be stories of what it was like to have had it.

We have zero resistance to it so most will probably catch it until there is a vaccine developed.

Its going to be tough for a while but we will get through this.
Just now watching the local news. Oregon (Portland) now has its first ‘presumptive’ case. This case is not related to travel. So likely it’s been here in the community but not identified until today. I travel the city for my work.
As a side note I’ve been sick since Tuesday. Left work not feeling well. Low grade temp. Spent Wednesday nailed to the couch with chills. Felt better yesterday. Finally went back to work today. That’s the most work I’ve missed in 15 years. Likely not related, just happenstance.

Be safe out there. Cover your cough. Anytime you go out into the community, grocery shopping, etc, wash your hands when you return home, first thing.
Good advice.

I am sure everyone who catches a cold or flu over the next couple of months is gonna be freaking out.
I hope everyone trusts scientists and allows them to freely talk.
The U.S. State Department extended an olive branch to Iran Friday amid a report that more than 200 people in the country have reportedly been killed by the coronavirus, a figure six times higher than the officially released number.

"The United States stands with the people of Iran during the public health crisis caused by the outbreak of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). The U.S. Government is prepared to assist the Iranian people in their response efforts," Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a statement. "This offer of support to the Iranian people, which has been formally conveyed to Iran through the Government of Switzerland, underscores our ongoing commitment to address health crises and prevent the spread of infectious diseases. Supporting the Iranian people is and will remain among our top priorities."
Posted By: FATE Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/29/20 03:02 AM
I hope everyone trusts scientists and allows them to freely talk.

?
There’s a gag order on Coronavirus news. Anything released to the media has to go through VP Pence who allowed an HIV outbreak in Indiana.
"The most worrisome thing about a full scale breakout in the US is that nationwide we only have about 1 million hospital beds. Taking into consideration the other ailments that keep hospitals busy normally, a huge surge of coronavirus victims could easily overwhelm the system."

~ this is basically what I heard an ex CDC leader say in an interview yeaterday.
There’s a gag order on Coronavirus news. Anything released to the media has to go through VP Pence who allowed an HIV outbreak in Indiana.

Well, only on government-employed sources. Thankfully, we have an abundance of sources that aren't under Pence's jurisdiction.
Yeah, I hope this doesn't turn into a political thread. My personal preference is that this should be an informational thread. Sharing knowledge might help a lot of our loved ones and acquaintances.
Except the current people in charge of dealing with the response to protect us and our loved ones have shown ultimate incompetence in their career in dealing with public health issues.

Please research how VP Pence bungled a HIV outbreak in his home state.

Please research how there are gag orders on scientists.

Please consider how the people responsible responding to this have three financial people and one scientist advising Pence.

This is t political Vers. This is fact. If you wish to disagree, please at least use factual proof to state my statements as wrong.

I fear for the response, or lack there of, due to the anti-science nature of this administration.

The response is logical on how to deal with this. The administration is making this political because they’re more worried about the stock market than human lives.
How about you please take your thoughts to the Political Forum and stop forcing them down our throats in a forum where political stances are not permitted?

I have no problem w/your particular political beliefs, but I don't want to hear about them in this forum.
I fail to see how any of what I comment on is political. I am just talking about how the individuals in charge have responded in the past.

We don’t need a safe-space to discuss such an important topic. Suppressing information is how people die due to misinformation and poor management.
Posted By: FATE Re: CDC confirms first US case of coronavirus - 02/29/20 06:06 AM
So if we don't discuss how Pence responded to an Aids outbreak in Indiana on Dawgtalkers, people will die? Asking for a friend...
Knowing an individual’s lack of ethos, especially when he made statements that smoking doesn’t kill, to spearhead a committee that wishes to save American lives is important.

Would you want a career lawyer telling you how to draft football players? I think much of the board was against that, so I’m not certain why having a man responsible for an HIV epidemic leading the fight to stop another deadly virus is suddenly “OFF LIMITS!!!”

I will not give anyone a rubber stamp to someone who lacks qualifications. And if this very board is too uncomfortable with criticism to the response to thwart the spread of a virus, well...it’s obvious the slant of where this place falls.

If you stand for nothing, Burr, what will you fall for?
I'm not going to go there other than to say this is NOW political. When both sides of the isle show major concern with how this is being handled by the administration and information is being restricted or withheld from the people about the disease, how could it not be political?

That said, I'm not petrified to the point I plan on changing my routine at the moment but after spending the holidays in and out of the hospital, as well as the better part of two months recuperating from influenza A; I have to admit that the prospects of catching this scares the hell out of me. Having COPD with some creeping crud like this coronavirus is no joke! It would be a probable life and death situation worst case scenario and more lung deterioration best case scenario. So yes, I think we need to know everything and don't need leadership holding back the truth.
Oregon confirms first case of coronavirus, third case with unknown origin

Health authorities in Oregon have confirmed what they believe is their first coronavirus case in the state, with the diagnosis marking the third known case nationally where the patient had no previous connection to anyone else with the disease.

The report comes after two patients in California appeared to become ill with the virus through so-called community spread, where the sickness spreads in completely different communities possibly due to people unknowingly carrying the virus.

Officials at the press conference did not reveal the age or gender of the Oregon patient, who is reportedly at Kaiser Permanente Westside Medical Center in Hillsboro.

Oregon Health Authority Director Patrick Allen said the state is still awaiting confirmation from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, making the case "presumptive" for now. He also said the patient was recently at a local elementary school and is an employee at Lake Oswego School District.

The local school is set to be closed and undergo a deep cleaning before students are allowed back next Wednesday.

On Friday, the World Health Organization (WHO) increased its coronavirus risk assessment to "very high," but said it doesn’t rise to the level of a global pandemic.

China, where the virus originated, has reported nearly 79,000 total cases of the virus, including 2,791 deaths. Outside China, WHO said there are now 4,351 cases in 49 countries, and 67 deaths.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/48...-unknown-origin
© DawgTalkers.net