DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: columbusdawg Covid hits home - 07/30/20 11:47 AM
My dad had to go to the ER yesterday and ended up testing positive for Covid. He is 76 and high risk as he has Myasthenia Gravis , which is a neuromuscular disease (he’s had it for about 6 years). I spoke to him around 7:30pm yesterday before the positive result and he was doing OK but didn’t really want to talk for long.

His symptoms started last Thursday - he has had a fever and vomiting. They finally called their doctor yesterday as he couldn’t keep anything down so he wanted him to go to the ER. My mom is very depressed at the moment as she can’t see him and he doesn’t want to talk to anyone, which is making things worse for her. He is on an IV for fluids and oxygen as well.

Some of you may have met him over the years at a tailgate, he hasn’t been in a while due to his health though.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Covid hits home - 07/30/20 11:53 AM
That's awful. I wish nothing but the best to your father and your entire family. Do the best you can to comfort your mother.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Covid hits home - 07/30/20 12:14 PM
God bless U and yours ... best of luck Columbus ...
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Covid hits home - 07/30/20 01:01 PM
Ah man! Trusting your family will be blessed with a good outcome...
Posted By: FATE Re: Covid hits home - 07/30/20 01:12 PM
Prayers for your dad and your family, CBus.

Stay strong and take care of mom as best you can. Keep us updated.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Covid hits home - 07/30/20 02:45 PM
So sorry to hear this. Considering his age and health I understand just how alarming this must be for you. All my best wishes and prayers to you, your mom, your dad and your entire family.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Covid hits home - 07/30/20 02:46 PM
Prayers for him, his wife, you, and the rest of the family buddy frown
Posted By: YepTheBrownsRule Re: Covid hits home - 07/30/20 02:58 PM
Thoughts are with you and your family.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Covid hits home - 07/30/20 03:31 PM
Prayers for him, and your entire family.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Covid hits home - 07/30/20 04:34 PM
Prayers your way.
Posted By: northlima dawg Re: Covid hits home - 07/30/20 04:42 PM
Sorry to hear;
Prayers to your family
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Covid hits home - 07/30/20 05:56 PM
Sorry to hear that man.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Covid hits home - 07/30/20 06:43 PM
Prayers for you guys.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Covid hits home - 07/30/20 06:47 PM
Prayers for you, your family and a speedy recovery for your father.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Covid hits home - 07/30/20 06:57 PM
I'm hoping that your dad comes through this well.
Sorry about your challenges/troubles.

stay well, bro.
Posted By: columbusdawg Re: Covid hits home - 07/30/20 07:14 PM
Thanks everyone. He said he’s feeling a little better today, still not great, but he’s really depressed being all alone since visitors aren’t permitted.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Covid hits home - 07/30/20 07:31 PM
Prayers for him and your family.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Covid hits home - 07/30/20 07:40 PM

Very sorry to hear that.

All the best to you and your family.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: Covid hits home - 07/30/20 07:59 PM
Gotta be hard on him as well as the family not being able to see each other.

Prayers from here C-bus.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Covid hits home - 07/30/20 08:37 PM
Hoping for the best for you and him. I know some who’ve had a nasty time with it
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Covid hits home - 07/30/20 11:08 PM
Being isolated has to be terrible for him. And I imagine your mother, as well.

Maybe you guys can send cards and motivational messages?
Posted By: columbusdawg Re: Covid hits home - 07/30/20 11:22 PM
Think my brother and I are going to get an echo show to put in his room. They have one at their house so my mom and dad would at least be able to see each other. Hopefully the nurses will help get it on the internet, we'll log into the account before we take it over. He's not very good with technology so I'm not sure he will want to do it, but it's worth a shot.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Covid hits home - 07/30/20 11:24 PM
Good idea. thumbsup

I mentioned cards and similar things because I wasn't sure he was into technology. Whatever works, bro. Do all you can while you can.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Covid hits home - 07/31/20 01:17 PM
I'm so sorry this happened to him... I wish him and your family only the best....
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Covid hits home - 07/31/20 02:14 PM
Columbus, sorry to hear this. Do you know how he got it?

Praying for a speedy recovery for your dad.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Covid hits home - 08/01/20 12:57 AM
Sorry to hear it. Sending special prayers to each and all involved. Be strong and do all you can during this frustrating time.

Faith up, C-bus.
Posted By: mac Re: Covid hits home - 08/01/20 12:53 PM
C Dawg...sorry to hear about your dad testing positive for covid. Hopefully it helps a bit knowing that DawgTalkers are pulling for him..and pulling for the entire family.

Nothing but positive thoughts and prayers for your dad and the family...
Posted By: columbusdawg Re: Covid hits home - 08/01/20 01:29 PM
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Amazingly my mom tested negative, she got her results back yesterday. My dad had another Covid test done before he went to the hospital that was going to take 5 days to get back (same one my mom got) and that one was positive as well. We were hoping there was an outside chance that the one he got in the ER was a false positive.

He is doing about the same he says, doesn’t feel any worse. It has been really frustrating not being able to have someone at the hospital to advocate for him. He is on a lot of very specific medication for Myasthenia Gravis which does not interact with other medications well. Last year when he was in the hospital they almost killed him by giving him a medication he shouldn’t have been given. If my mom wasn’t there to see what had happened he likely would have died. It was not a good situation. they do have patient advocates at the hospital my mom found out, and she really likes the lady she was assigned so that is some good news.

Again, thanks for all of the thoughts and prayers. I’m not a religious person, but my mom is and she really appreciates all of the prayers coming her way!
Posted By: northlima dawg Re: Covid hits home - 08/01/20 02:34 PM
My dad is 83 with dementia. He had a fever with a touch of pneumonia in April. They decided not to test him because he only had a temp for about 24 hours.
Got a fever again in May. Tested positive.
Symptoms started to fade and bloodwork returned to normal in about 2 weeks. First 2 tests were positive. Third test was 3 weeks to the day and was negative.

And yes the really hard part that most don’t understand until it hits home is you can’t see them; you can’t be there for any situation
Posted By: columbusdawg Re: Covid hits home - 08/01/20 03:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Columbus, sorry to hear this. Do you know how he got it?

Praying for a speedy recovery for your dad.

Not really. He golfs a few times per week, we are thinking it was at the golf course.
Posted By: columbusdawg Re: Covid hits home - 08/01/20 08:26 PM
They had to put him on a ventilator today.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Covid hits home - 08/01/20 08:56 PM
Sorry to hear that my friend.

It is what it is, right? My hope is all turns out for the best.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Covid hits home - 08/01/20 09:08 PM
A am sorry as well. One of my friends dad has it as well. Obviously not as close to having a parent, but I know the man well.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Covid hits home - 08/01/20 09:15 PM
Sorry to see the development there. Prayers and concern for you and yours. Hope it goes as well as possible. Not getting to see my mom who has been in and out of quarantine is painfully frustrating. Saying some more tonight.
Posted By: Psydeffect Re: Covid hits home - 08/02/20 12:15 AM
Very sorry to hear that, prayers sent.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Covid hits home - 08/02/20 12:38 AM
More prayers, hope and best wishes for your father and you.
Posted By: mac Re: Covid hits home - 08/02/20 02:35 PM
Thoughts and prayers for your father as well as the family continue..take care.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Covid hits home - 08/02/20 03:28 PM
So sorry to hear the update. This virus is as serious as it gets and we all wish the best for everyone who contracts it. You and your family will be in my thought sand prayers. Sadly there's not more those of us on the outside looking in can do. If there were we certainly would.
Posted By: northlima dawg Re: Covid hits home - 08/02/20 08:27 PM
Sorry to hear that
Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown Re: Covid hits home - 08/03/20 08:22 PM
Just saw this...im so sorry....this is absolutely heart breaking...

I hope your dad pulls through this, i'll keep you and your family in my thoughts.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Covid hits home - 08/04/20 02:33 AM
Know that we're all hoping for the best, bro.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Covid hits home - 08/06/20 04:00 AM
Columbus I don't live far away, if there is anything I can do for you or you need that I can do, let me know. Sorry to hear this, hope it turns around.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Covid hits home - 08/06/20 11:59 AM
Originally Posted By: columbusdawg
My dad had to go to the ER yesterday and ended up testing positive for Covid. He is 76 and high risk as he has Myasthenia Gravis , which is a neuromuscular disease (he’s had it for about 6 years). I spoke to him around 7:30pm yesterday before the positive result and he was doing OK but didn’t really want to talk for long.

His symptoms started last Thursday - he has had a fever and vomiting. They finally called their doctor yesterday as he couldn’t keep anything down so he wanted him to go to the ER. My mom is very depressed at the moment as she can’t see him and he doesn’t want to talk to anyone, which is making things worse for her. He is on an IV for fluids and oxygen as well.

Some of you may have met him over the years at a tailgate, he hasn’t been in a while due to his health though.

Thats awful Cdawg,, I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad.

Maybe the worst part of this Covid thing is that when someone with it is admitted to the hospital, they can have no visitors... That's gotta be really tough on your mom,,

I'll throw out some prayers for your dad and your mom as well...
Posted By: columbusdawg Re: Covid hits home - 08/13/20 02:47 PM
Well, it's been a rough go but my dad came off of the ventilator last Friday! I've never been happier, it was pretty scary for a while.

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers during this time. I especially want to thank Jester for all of the very insightful PM's. This board can be an amazing place.

He is able to talk on the phone to us now and has had nothing but amazing things to say about the care he got at Flower Hospital in Toledo. One of the nurses there is probably the reason he is alive today. He's got 7-10 days of PT to go through, but right now he is doing pretty well and will be out of the ICU tomorrow.

He said the whole thing was very scary and could feel that he almost didn't make it. He also said that he wouldn't wish getting Covid on his worst enemy.

Again, thanks to everyone for the support!
Posted By: jfanent Re: Covid hits home - 08/13/20 02:50 PM
Awesome news!!! Horrible thing for a family to go thru. I'm so glad he's off the vent.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Covid hits home - 08/13/20 03:03 PM
Great to hear the news man! Hoping he has a speedy recovery.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Covid hits home - 08/13/20 03:11 PM
GREAT NEWS ... happy for u and yours ...

Good luck with the recovery lets hope the “battle” is over ... thumbsup
Posted By: YepTheBrownsRule Re: Covid hits home - 08/13/20 03:16 PM
Great news man! I was really curious how he was doing but didn't want to bother you either. Glad he's getting better!
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Covid hits home - 08/13/20 03:31 PM
Originally Posted By: columbusdawg
Well, it's been a rough go but my dad came off of the ventilator last Friday! I've never been happier, it was pretty scary for a while.

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers during this time. I especially want to thank Jester for all of the very insightful PM's. This board can be an amazing place.

He is able to talk on the phone to us now and has had nothing but amazing things to say about the care he got at Flower Hospital in Toledo. One of the nurses there is probably the reason he is alive today. He's got 7-10 days of PT to go through, but right now he is doing pretty well and will be out of the ICU tomorrow.

He said the whole thing was very scary and could feel that he almost didn't make it. He also said that he wouldn't wish getting Covid on his worst enemy.

Again, thanks to everyone for the support!

Great to hear my friend. Great to hear!

Big hug from me....just a buddy hug...lol
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Covid hits home - 08/13/20 04:05 PM
Thank God! That's wonderful news!
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Covid hits home - 08/13/20 05:09 PM
Most excellent news!
Posted By: FATE Re: Covid hits home - 08/13/20 07:10 PM
Well that's pure awesome! I was really hoping to get this kind of news soon.

We'll keep you and dad in our prayers through the PT... Hopefully, one day soon, it will be like it never happened. wink
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: Covid hits home - 08/13/20 07:31 PM
Awesome/Great News. thumbsup

Gotta be a relief on he, you, and your family's minds. He no doubt knows he has more 18 hole rounds left in him.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Covid hits home - 08/13/20 09:31 PM
Happy for him and your family, some sorely needed GREAT NEWS!
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Covid hits home - 08/13/20 09:37 PM
Very glad to hear this!
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Covid hits home - 08/13/20 10:19 PM
Great news! I’m very happy for you guys!
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Covid hits home - 08/14/20 01:47 AM
This is idded good news.
Outstanding!
thumbsup
Posted By: Lurker Re: Covid hits home - 08/14/20 02:53 PM
Just seeing this, glad your dad is doing better.
© DawgTalkers.net