DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Versatile Dog Handguns - 08/28/20 01:35 AM
Looking for some advice because I am not very knowledgeable about handguns. My son and my future son-in-law are and they have been giving me some advice. But, I trust some of you guys, too.

Situation: I have been a proponent of working together and uniting as a country. That doesn't look to be happening. The Civil unrest is very high and demands backed by threats of "...by whatever means necessary" leads me to believe the threat is real.

Current status: I have three shotguns. One by the bed. One in a closet by the door that leads from the garage to the house. And a third in a closet by the front entrance way. I have a Smith and Wesson 629 V-Comp in a nightstand next to the bed.

What I am looking for: A gun that both my wife and I can use. Thus, I am looking at purchasing a 9 mm.

The problem: As many of you know, a lot of guns are out of stock right now.

Three guns I like: I can get a Beretta 92X 4.7" on sale for $650. A Beretta 92FS on sale for $600, and a CZ 75B for $600. I know the Berettas are a bit heavy, but I like their accuracy. My daughter's fiance really likes the CZ-75s.

Questions: Which of those three guns is the best bang for my buck? Are there any others that you consider a better value and just as reliable? I know Glocks have a great rep, but the ones I liked were out of stock.

I'm all ears, dawgs.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 01:39 AM
Btw: Since I already have three shotguns and expensive SW 629, I really don't want to spend any more than the $600 to $650 costs of the guns I listed. I wouldn't mind spending less, but I want a reliable and accurate gun w/good sights.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 01:41 AM
Aww this ought to go well, rolleyes (now let me read what you wrote) rofl
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 01:49 AM
I like your taste in guns. Beretta is a good choice because they are made of metal and so heavier and less recoil. Which is good for a woman shooter.

I'm looking at getting a Beretta 92 compact for myself. Its a medium sized 9mm, still can be concealed.

You didnt mention if you want to conceal carry. Or if its for home defense.

I recommend you and your wife try your choice in guns at the range before you buy it.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 01:49 AM
JMO - if your guns aren't near you, but by the door.....maybe move them.

Shotguns are best..............with the right ammo. If you load them with buckshot, great. If they are loaded with skeet loads - bad.

I have a berretta 92 fs. Great gun. Big though, but for home defense, size doesn't matter. It's not a concealed carry gun, away from your house.

I love that gun, but I'm partial to a SW 9c. I also have a SW 40c. (c means compact).

As has been discussed ad nauseum, the shot gun is the best. I sleep with a ..........well, doesn't matter. A sheriff might be 20 minutes, or more away if I need them.

Whatever you choose, be familiar with it.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 01:54 AM
Thanks Eve and arch.

I do want it for home defense. I'm not interested in carrying at this point in time.

arch, I can get to my shotguns. One by the bed for when I am sleeping and two by entrance-ways. That was the idea.

arch, can you give me more info on the Beretta 92 FS? I can pick that one up at a place that is about 5 minutes from my house and they have an indoor range.
Posted By: ErikInHell Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 02:06 AM
Glock 19. They don't get much better. I have one. The action is very smooth, and it's not a hard pull to load the chamber. My wife loves this gun. It's simple, light, easy to take apart and put back together. Some people will have an issue as it has no safety, but the wielder is the ultimate safety anyway. If you can't find new, check pawn shops.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 02:15 AM
I love the 92 fs. Love it. It accepts all ammo I've put in it. But, my 92 fs is not a concealed carry. It's a large gun. My SM c's are just smaller, without losing capacity.

Home defense? Shot gun, every time. If you need a handgun, be familiar with it.

But, personal info in the FS - steady gun, due to its size. Reliable as all get out. Easy to get a second, third, etc shot on target. It's a 9, so keep that in mind.

I have friends that swear by a 45. Bigger bullet. Much harder to rapid fire.

I live in an area where cops could be 20 minutes away.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 02:18 AM
Good info. Thanks.

Do you guys think I should purchase a laser sight for the handgun? Again, this is for home defense as a back-up gun that my wife could also use.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 02:19 AM

Get a pair of those, I hear they are popular with cartoon characters.
Posted By: Dave Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 02:31 AM
I own a Taurus snubnose 38 for home defense, but my buddy Jim swears by his SIG Sauer P226. I think that might be more than you want to spend, like $900 or more. He's also a big fan of his Glock 19, which I have fired - its light as a feather, maybe good for a woman not used to handling guns.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 02:39 AM
Yeah, $900 is more than I want to spend. The SW 629 was about $1500.00 I have the three shotguns. I'm looking for a back-up gun in case there is a prolonged attack.
Posted By: ErikInHell Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 02:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Good info. Thanks.

Do you guys think I should purchase a laser sight for the handgun? Again, this is for home defense as a back-up gun that my wife could also use.

If you and your wife practice with the gun, you shouldn't need a laser site. Realistically, you'll probably never have to fire it at anything other than a paper target.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 02:57 AM
Good info. Thanks.

I actually think, for home defense, a Laser sight??? For home defense it's most probably a bang bang bang thing as opposed to "laser sighting in" someone 5-10-15-20 feet away.

Posted By: TTTDawg Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 03:41 AM
Agreed on the Beretta 92FS Centurion.

First gun I ever bought. Bought it right after getting my CCW permit. I have larger hands/longer fingers and could easily palm a basketball(with the emphasis on "could"). tongue The 92FS fits like a glove but I think it'd also fit smaller hands.

When you go to purchase, try on a few different "gloves" so to speak.

No doubt you'll spend what you need to. With all things being equal, I'd spend more so on "the feel good" side.

Also, cartridge capacity(6rd vs 8rd, vs, vs, vs) I'd lean moreso to a 9mm 15-16 rd capacity.

If it's earmarked for "home defense", how few rds capacity do you feel safe with? When seconds count I'd personally want 1 16rd mag loaded and 3 full 16 rd 9mm mags ready.

Just a .02.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 04:24 AM
Thanks bro.

My wife isn't very big. She won't go w/me to purchase the gun. She doesn't like them. But, she is a fighter and if we are invaded, she might change her mind. Do you think that gun is too big for a woman who is not heavy and is around 5'6?"
Posted By: jfanent Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 04:43 AM
The Beretta 92 is a big, heavy gun. It absorbs recoil well, but if your wife has smallish or weak feminine hands, you should look for something smaller/lighter. The PX4 or the new APX series might be a better fit.

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/win-the-fight/#The-APX-Pistols
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 04:43 AM
I'm a scrawny female and I favor big heavy guns.

BUT, I also practice with them at the range.

Your wife will need to practice with the gun. Learn how to use it and be safe with it.

Its not something that is a no brainer.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 05:13 AM
I’m going to give you a different option. A 9mm, pistol caliber carbine. It folds in half, can fit and be easily carried in a backpack, can hold a 33 round glock magazine, is easy to shoot for anyone with no kick to speak of, accurate, can be wielded in a hallway of a home as easily as a pistol. If you can’t take them down with 33 9mm rounds, run.

Keltec Sub 2000

It’s generally around $400

Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 05:41 AM
I have a .22 with 2 speedloaders.

If it takes more than 18 rapid shots .....
Posted By: fishtheice Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 06:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
I’m going to give you a different option. A 9mm, pistol caliber carbine. It folds in half, can fit and be easily carried in a backpack, can hold a 33 round glock magazine, is easy to shoot for anyone with no kick to speak of, accurate, can be wielded in a hallway of a home as easily as a pistol. If you can’t take them down with 33 9mm rounds, run.

Keltec Sub 2000

My son bought this firearm, Tulsa...he's very pleased with it. thumbsup
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 12:32 PM
For emergency protection, and if you don't practice and train regularly, I would recommend a revolver.

A semi-auto can jam, and in the heat of panic with adrenaline, one needs to prepared to deal with it. A revolver just moves on to the next chamber and bang.
Posted By: Jester Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 01:01 PM

Keltec Sub 2000

Interesting thought Tulsa
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 01:34 PM
I don't think you could go wrong with either option. If this were 1 year ago, I'd suggest shooting each and then going with the one you shoot better, but I'm not sure if you have time and range access to test them out thoroughly. When I purchase a handgun, I shoot the heck out of it before buying. I'd lean towards the 92FS.

There is one thing to consider with a 9mm handgun right now, there's almost no ammo available and it's doubled in price. And I don't expect the 9mm ammo demand to drop any time too.

The online ammo site I've been using for a long time has been completely dry for the past 2 weeks (self defense ammo trickles in here and there, but target ammo is very hard to find). They may still be getting some stuff, I'm not a premium member and won't be getting the pre-sale warnings.

I'm a Glock, S&W and H&K guy. I've always wanted a Beretta handgun but there always seem to be other items higher on the wish list (a Beretta 1301 shotgun is within 3 purchases, if I ever get to buy another).
Posted By: oobernoober Handguns - 08/28/20 01:42 PM
Just curious... why do you put your guns near the entrances? Wouldn't that give your would-be intruder/attacker easy access? Are you thinking the confrontation would happen in your yard, and you would want to retreat back to your house and be armed quickly?

I've also been thinking about this a lot, and a big part of owning a gun is doing so responsibly. So through that lens, where you put it is very important. Not at all trying to get on your case, just curious why you chose those locations.

Also, as Florida mentioned, revolver might be more your speed. Simpler == better, usually.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 01:56 PM
Yes, 9mm seems to be very hard to come by right now, even target ammo.
Around here you have to be a range member for them to even sell it to you most places, and that is restricted to 100 or 200 rounds per day.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 02:00 PM
We live in a neighborhood that has only one way in or out. We don't get a lot of traffic. We also have two dogs that go nuts whenever someone approaches the house. I typically go and look out to see what they're barking at. The two closets are closest to my viewing sights. I don't want the guns just sitting out in the open. My main thinking is having the shotgun and handgun close to our bed. I have to put the other two shotguns somewhere and I thought those two locations made sense for me.
Posted By: PETE314 Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 02:10 PM
Hey Verse....I am actually looking as well...My brother's firearms instructor recommended the Gen 4 Glock 19. With the Gen 5's out. you can get a good price on the Gen 4.

But there is another I am looking at. it is the Canik TP9 series. If you are looking for bang for buck, this is it. Many say it out-Glock's the Glock. One of the best, if not the best, triggers in the class. Several different models from the compact SC (3"6" barrel) to 5.25" Competition ready SFX. Reliability is a hallmark from all that I have read and seen. Another great part its the sights. They come standard with 4 adapter plates for mounting different red dots and sights. It has a dovetail for aftermarket hard sights as well. As far as what I am looking at.... I am looking at the TP9 SFX (can find for $460) or the $360 SF ELITE(about 4"-4.25").

I have not yet shot them. so when the time comes I will want to try several including the Glocks the M&P by Smith and Wesson...and several others. But from what I have been reading. It will probably be the Canik...Don't be fooled by the price...and look at reviews...

Sorry for sounding like a commercial....like I said. I am in the market as well and so have been getting a bit of info on these...LOL
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 02:13 PM
No need to be sorry. I am clearly seeking advice and I love reading all the opinions that you guys are providing. I like to garner as much information as I can before making a decision. So, I thank you.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 03:00 PM
Situation: I have been a proponent of working together and uniting as a country. That doesn't look to be happening. The Civil unrest is very high and demands backed by threats of "...by whatever means necessary" leads me to believe the threat is real.

Claiming you didn't want a political crap storm yet starting the thread out this way is simply false, to put it mildly. If that's not what you wanted, you didn't have to post this. You could have simply left this part out. You knew what you were doing.

But anyway....

Erik mentioned a Glock 19. Some people prefer a very light gun. So if that's your preference this is a good way to go. On a personal level, I like a heavier handgun. I also think a heavier handgun would be best for your wife.

The reason being, the recoil is less from a heavier handgun. A lot of people refer tho that as "kick or kick back". The lighter gun doesn't have the weight to prevent it from kicking back as much as a heavier gun would.

For someone proficient with hand guns that really doesn't matter all that much. It's just a matter of preference. But for someone not proficient with hand guns it makes firing multiple round with greater accuracy easier. Less kick back means you don't have as far to to move the gun back to a position of getting off your next accurate shot. Meaning you can get off multiple accurate shots quicker.

I think everyone has the right to protect their home. I do however find falling for all of the fear mongering as motivation means people are being fooled by rhetoric.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 06:07 PM
We also have two dogs that go nuts whenever someone approaches the house. I typically go and look out to see what they're barking at.

Ah......dogs. Best home alarm system (provided they do what you said they do). Our dog knows our schedule. When my wife worked nights, he wouldn't make a peep when she came home. Someone just shows up at a time that he doesn't expect me, wife, or Sooga to be coming home? He barks his fool head off. Most ferocious 20 lb dog bark ever. He wouldn't stop an intruder, but he'd certainly give us (me) a heads up. And, he'd do his best to help.

(plus, like when my brother lived in DC, the police met in neighborhoods with neighborhood watch groups, and told them a dog is one of the best crime deterrents there is. The bigger the dog, the better.Why? Because common criminals aren't looking for a tough score, they want an easy score. Dog/s barking generally tend to make a criminal go to the next house. Although, oddly funny story. A couple I know got broken into in the middle of the day. They had video cameras. Their dogs, 3 of them, were super friendly. And on the video, you could see the dogs walking around the 3 guys that broke in, just wanting to be petted. Obviously not watch dogs. And that's ok, because a violent dog is a bad thing if it's violent at the wrong time.)

Anyway............1 thing I didn't mention.

9 mm is a fast round. Especially compared to a .45, or even a .40. It's also smaller. Combine speed with smaller, and you get more penetration. If you're pulling the trigger, you are responsible for what you hit obviously. A 9 is more prone to, in an intruder situation where you miss, a 9 is more prone to go through your wall, and possibly into someone else's home if you have close neighbors.

Now, any gun can do that of course, even more so with rifles. And like I said, if you pull the trigger, you are responsible for what you hit, regardless.

Shotguns with buck shot, or even #2, or #4 shot, are much less prone to doing that.
Posted By: ErikInHell Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 08:10 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Claiming you didn't want a political crap storm yet starting the thread out this way is simply false, to put it mildly. If that's not what you wanted, you didn't have to post this. You could have simply left this part out. You knew what you were doing.

But anyway....

Erik mentioned a Glock 19. Some people prefer a very light gun. So if that's your preference this is a good way to go. On a personal level, I like a heavier handgun. I also think a heavier handgun would be best for your wife.

The reason being, the recoil is less from a heavier handgun. A lot of people refer tho that as "kick or kick back". The lighter gun doesn't have the weight to prevent it from kicking back as much as a heavier gun would.

For someone proficient with hand guns that really doesn't matter all that much. It's just a matter of preference. But for someone not proficient with hand guns it makes firing multiple round with greater accuracy easier. Less kick back means you don't have as far to to move the gun back to a position of getting off your next accurate shot. Meaning you can get off multiple accurate shots quicker.

I think everyone has the right to protect their home. I do however find falling for all of the fear mongering as motivation means people are being fooled by rhetoric.

I don't know if you've fired a glock 19, but the action is very smooth with very little kick. I've fired .357 snub and long barrel, .50 desert eagle, .40 taurus, .22, .308 kal tec, and a couple other 9mils, and I've never fired a gun as smooth as my glock.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 08:22 PM
I actually owned one for a short time. It was the 9mm Glock. It had a lazer sight and I got a very good deal on it. It was a situation where if I liked it I would keep it but if I didn't, worse case scenario I could make $100 on it.

It felt cheap in my hand. It simply didn't have the weight I was used to. A 9mm is a 9mm. The less weight the more recoil. I sold it a few days later.

As I said, I guess a lot of it depends on what you're used to and comfortable with. I prefer a heavier handgun as it is easier for me to steady. My favorite 9mm is an older Ruger P-89. The newer model Security 9 is pretty nice. Although S&W makes a pretty good one.

As to the handguns Vers is speaking of, Beretta makes a pretty quality weapon. I just don't care for a Glock of any kind. But to each their own.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 10:25 PM
Yeah, our dogs are cool. They bark like crazy when someone other than us comes on the property or even in front of the house. Like I say, we don't get much traffic. They have deep barks and sound mean, but they would never hurt a flea. Friendly as friendly can be. But, we do appreciate the "heads-up." They are doing their job. LOL

I hear you about being responsible. Our house is all brick and the lots are big here. This new gun will be a last resort in case things get crazy.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 11:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Jester

Keltec Sub 2000

Interesting thought Tulsa

I keep a Keltec KSG Keltec Shotgun as my home protection, it can hold and cycle 24 of the mini shot shells, and that’s some fire power to protect my home and family. My wife however is afraid of it, too much kick, too much noise. While she has her own Springfield 9mm pistol, I keep the sub 2000 for her, she can grab it and accurately use it without the kick, without the fear.

That was the justification for the purchase, the fact is, this carbine is simply fun to shoot and very accurate from 100 yards, much more so than any 9mm pistols I own, from any manufacturer. A pistol is what I carry if I feel a need, but for home protection, the pistols stay in the safe. I have better options.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Handguns - 08/28/20 11:57 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the knowledge.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: Handguns - 08/29/20 12:09 AM
Verse.....

Not a sales pitch. rofl

I have 2 of these. One in a front "livingroom" of the house and one in a back "greatroom" of the house. Look terrific. Work well thumbsup Kids don't even have to know.

Much better/more safe with the youngins/kids around. Worth the $197.

Just a thought.

https://www3.tacticaltraps.com/
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Handguns - 08/29/20 12:31 AM
Thanks TTT. I actually made one of those out of cherry for my son.

I don't have the need for one at this time. I want grandchildren in the worst way because I love kids, but my son got divorced after he had Testicular cancer and my daughter isn't getting married until May of 2021. She wasn't going to have children out of wedlock.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: Handguns - 08/29/20 01:49 AM
Looking for some advice because I am not very knowledgeable about handguns. My son and my future son-in-law are and they have been giving me some advice. But, I trust some of you guys, too.

Current status: I have three shotguns. One by the bed. One in a closet by the door that leads from the garage to the house. And a third in a closet by the front entrance way. I have a Smith and Wesson 629 V-Comp in a nightstand next to the bed.

What I am looking for: A gun that both my wife and I can use. Thus, I am looking at purchasing a 9 mm.

The problem: As many of you know, a lot of guns are out of stock right now.

Three guns I like: I can get a Beretta 92X 4.7" on sale for $650. A Beretta 92FS on sale for $600, and a CZ 75B for $600. I know the Berettas are a bit heavy, but I like their accuracy. My daughter's fiance really likes the CZ-75s.

Questions: Which of those three guns is the best bang for my buck? Are there any others that you consider a better value and just as reliable? I know Glocks have a great rep, but the ones I liked were out of stock.

I'm all ears, dawgs.

BTW, weren't Beretta FS 92's the sidearm of the military for quite awhile until they went with.........Glocks?

I remember hearing that.

Anyone?
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Handguns - 08/29/20 02:52 AM
I’d love to buy a Glock 9mm, we wear them at work. Such an easy handgun to use. I’ve read 9mm ammo is hard to find right now, along with the gun.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Handguns - 08/29/20 03:11 AM
Correct.
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Handguns - 08/29/20 11:01 AM
There's a lot of good advice in this thread.

Personally I have usually 2 handguns "ready to go" for when I'm at home. The first is my duty weapon (Smith and Wesson M&P .45) and my off duty gun (Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9mm). My Shield wasn't issued or anything. I went with it because a) it functions the same as my duty weapon and b) it was reasonably priced at the time I got it. I really like the Shield.

I don't know if what I roll with is any better or worse than any of the other suggestions made.

I would like to add a comment about ammo. Provided you can find it... tell them what your purpose for the ammo is. We used to live in a row of townhomes and I was buying ammo for a .38 I have. Given my proximity to other people, I wanted something that had that initial penetration to do the job, but also something that wouldn't travel through the walls of 4 other homes. There are some good options out there that they can steer you to.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Handguns - 08/29/20 12:52 PM
Would you recommend hollow-points?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Handguns - 08/29/20 01:41 PM
I do. The expanding nose increases damage, and on any missed shot, the expanding nose slows the round down down, giving it less chance to punch through walls and siding, and again to go though a neighboring structure.

It will also cause the round to tumble, slowing it down.
Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING Re: Handguns - 08/30/20 07:42 PM
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan
For emergency protection, and if you don't practice and train regularly, I would recommend a revolver.

A semi-auto can jam, and in the heat of panic with adrenaline, one needs to prepared to deal with it. A revolver just moves on to the next chamber and bang.

I am also a wheel gun man. Simple, safe, gets the job done.
I do have the laser as it allows me to focus on the soon to be victim with both eyes. The bullet is going where the dot is.

As for home defense, we have armed security so I will most likely be awakened by gunshots outside and people dying.

But, for times when 'the crap hits the fan', I will rely on the hand of god. thumbsup

Posted By: Dave Re: Handguns - 08/30/20 09:28 PM
M61 costs around $300,000. Each round of ammo costs $27, which means it costs around $3000 to fire it for a second, or $180,000 to fire it continuously for 1 minute. In other words, get real. These are sold almost exclusively for military aircraft. Only the US government can afford to waste that kind of money because, as we all know, money grows on trees in Washington DC.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Handguns - 08/30/20 10:16 PM
I think he shoots it off-hand too.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Handguns - 08/30/20 10:21 PM
From his space shuttle.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Handguns - 08/30/20 10:24 PM

I have thoughts on that, but I won't put those thoughts out in public.
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Handguns - 08/30/20 10:38 PM
I'd appreciate if posts about politics stayed in the political forum.
Posted By: Dave Re: Handguns - 08/30/20 11:05 PM
I see that your sense of humor is even further up your ass than your head is.
Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING Re: Handguns - 08/30/20 11:31 PM
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Handguns - 08/30/20 11:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave
I see that your sense of humor is even further up your ass than your head is.

rofl
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Handguns - 08/31/20 12:54 AM
j/c:

Man, it's amazing how many guns and ammo are "out of stock."

Has that always the case no matter the year?

If not, why do you guys think that so many guns are being bought this year?
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Handguns - 08/31/20 12:58 AM
Gun sales went through the roof when the pandemic first hit. People were panicking. Same with hoarding groceries.

Maybe the inventory hasn't got caught up yet.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Handguns - 08/31/20 12:59 AM
Makes sense.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Handguns - 08/31/20 02:16 AM
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Gun sales went through the roof when the pandemic first hit. People were panicking. Same with hoarding groceries.

Maybe the inventory hasn't got caught up yet.

It got even worse with the civil unrest. Then with Biden wanting new gun laws. You can still find guns/ammo online.

My friend just bought a couple new guns locally. Just gotta shop around.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Handguns - 08/31/20 02:22 AM
Yeah, I decided to purchase more ammo and another gun due to the civil unrest. I am not afraid of BLM or Antifa invading my neighborhood like one poster asked, but I do think that lawlessness is a possibility given the current political and economic climate.

Btw---I heard that Biden wants to ban online sales of guns and make "smart guns" mandatory. I strongly oppose both measures.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Handguns - 08/31/20 03:14 AM
“Smart Guns”??? What are these?
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Handguns - 08/31/20 03:24 AM
Originally Posted By: Frenchy

Something not smart. A gun with a chip in it and will only work if you wear a watch that matches it.

When your house is being invaded, please be sure to put on your watch so you can fire your gun. Dumb.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: Handguns - 08/31/20 03:32 AM
Here's an auction site I've browsed for years. The next auction starts(I believe) Sept 7th.

Click on Auctions and then Past auctions to get an idea. I bid on/won a small Italian made 380 quite a while ago. Picked it up at their storefront in Burton Oh right on Burton Square. They also have a storefront in another state.

https://auctions.thegunrunner.com/
Posted By: FATE Re: Handguns - 08/31/20 10:19 AM
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Originally Posted By: Frenchy

Something not smart. A gun with a chip in it and will only work if you wear a watch that matches it.

When your house is being invaded, please be sure to put on your watch so you can fire your gun. Dumb.

But Eve, this will protect you from being shot with your own gun! Why not take the extra measures? If you opt for the one with the sensor in the boot, you can get a head-start running!
Posted By: jfanent Re: Handguns - 08/31/20 11:33 AM
You'll also have to remember where the key is to the gun lock, and the where the other key is to get the ammo that has to be stored in a separate location. Don't worry, they're trying to pass legislation for it to be mandatory that criminals must knock and give you 5 minutes to get ready before they enter your home.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Handguns - 08/31/20 11:51 AM
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

But anyway....

I don't know if you've fired a glock 19, but the action is very smooth with very little kick. I've fired .357 snub and long barrel, .50 desert eagle, .40 taurus, .22, .308 kal tec, and a couple other 9mils, and I've never fired a gun as smooth as my glock.

My son has a Glock 19c. Talk about smooth action, and little kickback, that thing is easy to be accurate and fast.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Handguns - 08/31/20 01:00 PM
I’m arming up among other things ... talked to two attorney friends over the weekend ... the laws in NY are f’ng insane ...

Someone breaks into my house ... i can’t shoot them just for that .. i have to wait until they actually threaten me with a weapon ... i have to see the weapon ....

I was told to buy HD recorders to put on my shotgun and rifle (rifles low impact for my wife) and make sure I say as soon as I see them in the house and to make sure i say it clear and audible that I am armed and will shoot them unless they have a drawn weapon ...

What a crock ... i can’t wait to move out of this crap ass liberal state as soon as i can ... stupid wife ... *L* ...
Posted By: TI84_Plus Re: Handguns - 08/31/20 02:55 PM
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847

Personally I have usually 2 handguns "ready to go" for when I'm at home. The first is my duty weapon (Smith and Wesson M&P .45) and my off duty gun (Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9mm). My Shield wasn't issued or anything. I went with it because a) it functions the same as my duty weapon and b) it was reasonably priced at the time I got it. I really like the Shield.

+1 on the M&P Shield 9mm. Very good and sleek one, easy to carry.

I also have a little .380 pocket size to bring with me and quick little trips.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Handguns - 08/31/20 04:27 PM
Btw: Since I already have three shotguns and expensive SW 629, I really don't want to spend any more than the $600 to $650 costs of the guns I listed. I wouldn't mind spending less, but I want a reliable and accurate gun w/good sights.

They're all about the same price and they all go 'Bang!'.
Honestly, after that, it comes down to how you and the wife feel about shooting them. Find a range and put them in your hands and see which ones you both like the most.

That aside, I might lean toward CZ, and I might lean toward their less expensive offerings rather than spending $600. In general, they make some really nice shooters.

Additionally, going on the assumption that your wife's hands are probably a good bit smaller than yours, I would strongly consider adding some compact models to the list to evaluate. Something designed for concealed carry. The smaller size will likely fit her hand better.

All of that being what it is, like Frenchy pointed out, 9mm is difficult to come by. A single stack 45ACP might be a bit easier to get ammo for, and you'd be surprised by how smoothly many modern 45s shoot. Feed it 180gr flat heads and your ballistics will be very comparable to your standard 9mm rounds, but it will pack almost 50% more energy and make a bigger hole.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Handguns - 08/31/20 04:30 PM
Originally Posted By: TI84_Plus
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847

+1 on the M&P Shield 9mm. Very good and sleek one, easy to carry.

I also have a little .380 pocket size to bring with me and quick little trips.

I'd also give a vote for the M&P Shield 2.0 in 9mm.
I would also a HUGE vote to the Springfield XD Mod 2.0 in 9mm.
I have the Springfield in 45ACP and it it every bit the tack driver that the M&P Shield 2.0 is and comes with high-vis "combat" sights which make it easier to get a shot lined up in low-light environments.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Handguns - 08/31/20 11:58 PM
I was on a mission last year in search of the best summer carry pistol, that fit me and my needs. I read, talked with friends, watched YouTube reviews and shot, reshot and reshot again. Quick jump to the end, I have a Glock 43 (custom stippled frame - in blue camo, apex trigger, tfx pro tritium sights, Hyve mag extensions (+1 & +2) and a perfect Tier 1 IWB holster).

I looked at others:

P365
P365 XL
Shield
Shield 2.0
PPS M2
43X (but it was only just released)

The P365 ended up being the 2nd best fit, but I couldn’t stand the trigger and it was so snappy. That’s expected due to the size. I wanted something concealable, shootable and upgradeable. The G43 was all that, minus points for low ammo capacity, but I carry a 2nd mag.

I think the best carry option, if you can conceal something a bit taller than a G43, is the G43X with the Shield Arms 15-round mag. Best of everything, but maybe a tad tall.

That’s my summer carry, I f anyone cares, I can breakdown my other non-summer.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Handguns - 09/01/20 01:59 PM
I have the P938 for EDC. Son has the Glock 43, wife has a SW 442

Got the wife a P238 I bought her in Pink, but she prefers her 442 for EDC.
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: Handguns - 09/02/20 05:52 PM
You know it’s an extension of your manhood. Go big or don’t go at all.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Handguns - 09/02/20 05:55 PM
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
You know it’s an extension of your manhood. Go big or don’t go at all.

A common pitfall and misconception.... if it doesn't fit your hand, and even feel comfortable in your off-hand, it's not going to be as useful as it could be.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Handguns - 09/02/20 06:18 PM
It's a nice tool to have in the event someone else tries to use the "extension of their manhood" on you. Pretending you may never need a gun to protect you or your family is where you fall short.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Handguns - 09/03/20 12:34 PM
Just like fire or flood insurance.... you hope you never need it, and statistically speaking most people never will need it, but in the event you do need it you're glad you paid for it.
Posted By: teedub Re: Handguns - 09/03/20 09:52 PM
I highly recommend the Beretta 92....IF you have decent sized hands. The grip is thick and not conducive for little hands....even worse is the reach for the trigger....highly advise a woman holding a 92 before blindly buying....also any 92 should be converted ASAP to a G series which is a decocker only...the FS safety is difficult to manipulate even with big hands.

I also recommend the Beretta PX4 Storm. It has a set of adjustable backstraps that can accommodate smaller hands. Still a beefy gun and the rotating barrel aids in dissipating recoil.

But you need ammo and at 65 cents a round, a new gun owner won't practice much.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Handguns - 09/03/20 11:52 PM
Sounds like very good advice. Thanks.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Handguns - 09/04/20 02:06 PM
Originally Posted By: teedub
I highly recommend the Beretta 92....IF you have decent sized hands. The grip is thick and not conducive for little hands....even worse is the reach for the trigger....highly advise a woman holding a 92 before blindly buying....also any 92 should be converted ASAP to a G series which is a decocker only...the FS safety is difficult to manipulate even with big hands.

I also recommend the Beretta PX4 Storm. It has a set of adjustable backstraps that can accommodate smaller hands. Still a beefy gun and the rotating barrel aids in dissipating recoil.

I had to laugh because you recommend a gun, and then go through a list of things bad about it. smile Complete opposite of the typical recommendation.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Handguns - 09/04/20 05:34 PM

The Great Primer Shortage of 2020.

Even reloaders can't get ammo unless they have a stockpile of primers.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Handguns - 09/04/20 10:45 PM
Update.

I'm having a hard time finding any of the guns I like in stock.
Posted By: pblack18707 Re: Handguns - 09/04/20 11:30 PM
nice to see your still kicking. if for the wife that dont like guns nothing wrong with a 22. get a target model and take her shooting she might have fun.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Handguns - 09/05/20 01:26 AM
Update.

I'm having a hard time finding any of the guns I like in stock.

Are you looking online?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Handguns - 09/05/20 01:29 AM
Yes.

Any suggestions?
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Handguns - 09/05/20 01:37 AM
I bought my shotgun from guns.com. Easy, no hassles.
I have a bid on a 9mm on gunbroker.com

Just be sure the gun is what you want to buy.

Its really easy to buy online. They will ship it nearby and you just pick it up. And pass a background check.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Handguns - 09/05/20 01:42 AM
Thank you.

Will I be able to pass a background check considering I put a man in CCU in a fist fight?

LOL.......just kidding. That never happened.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Handguns - 09/05/20 02:01 AM
I've bought guns from gunbroker.com. It's been a while, but they were smooth transactions to a local ffl holder. I had to pay him 20 bucks.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Handguns - 09/05/20 02:11 AM
Thanks.

I'm a rookie at this and appreciate the info.

I might have to settle for another type of gun because the ones I want are "out of stock" in every site I have visited. I put requests in to be notified when they become available, but time is running out.

I have to add..........while I have guns, I am not a gun guy. I used to love to hunt. That's it. I don't get off like most do on simply shooting a gun at a target. I am not bad-mouthing those who do. Just saying that is not me. For years, my son and my friends before him have tried to talk me into getting more guns, but I always said my fists were my guns. This C thing that I have along w/being 63 years old is changing things. Not sure if I can beat anyone's ass anymore. I have to protect my wife and pups if it comes down to it. I never had a problem w/beating another dudes ass if he started a fight, but man, I have never wanted to kill anyone. But, I see the potential for some violent times ahead. The world has been turned upside down. I will never allow anyone to harm my wife.
Posted By: BuckDawg1946 Re: Handgun - 09/05/20 04:58 AM
Humanity has shown a propensity to do ill will with weapons. I’m not trying to sound disingenuous, but don’t complain about mass shootings, if you accept weapons into your society.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Handguns - 09/05/20 12:59 PM
You can put your opinions here: https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.php/forums/78/1/palus-politicus
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Handguns - 09/11/20 09:28 PM
I didnt want to make a new gun thread.

Im currently in Florida at my Dad's. We assembled my new 20 Ga shotgun and went to the range and tried it. I never shot a shotgun before. At first we just fired it so I could get used to it. And load/unload.

It didnt want to eject the empty shells. So we got some different ammo and it worked better.

Then I shot some clays on the easy course. I didnt expect to hit any, but I hit 5, so I was super pleased.

I'm pumped and want to go clay shooting when I get back to Ga.

To make this on topic, I just won a 1993 Beretta 92fs 9mm. Looking forward to shooting it. laugh
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Handguns - 09/11/20 10:31 PM
Congrats on the Beretta! That's pretty freaking awesome!

Yeah, some shotguns need to be fed magnum or "full" load shells.
I have one that supposedly (haven't tried it, yet) will fail to eject fairly consistently if I try to use "Light Target" loads, particularly the #7.5 Winchesters, lol.... of which, I just happen to have a 10-round magazine for the shotgun full of those right now. Go figure tongue

My brother-in-law just turned me onto a new shotgun to look at: the Escort BTS12, made by Hatsan (Turkish) and imported by Hatsan USA.

It is a 12-gauge, or .410, bullpup AR-based shotgun.
It's kinda a thing of beauty, and under $600.

Posted By: EveDawg Re: Handguns - 09/12/20 12:25 AM
Yes, thats what I was trying to shoot. low recoil target 7.5 2.3/4 birdshot
We tried regular 7.5 and it went much better.

That shotgun looks badass. It looks very fun to shoot. laugh
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Handguns - 09/12/20 01:35 AM
j/c

Just a heads up for anyone and everyone. If you've never heard of a 'hang fire', look it up.

Never, EVER point the gun where it is unsafe to fire.

I had a hang fire once. It's an unexpected delay between pulling the trigger, and the gun going 'boom'. I almost killed my 4 wheeler. Thank God I didn't do the stupid thing and pull the gun up to look at it.
Posted By: mac Re: Handguns - 09/12/20 12:33 PM
arch...what brand of ammo were you using?
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Handguns - 09/12/20 01:52 PM
For the gun that had the hangfire? I believe it was remington.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Handguns - 09/14/20 06:37 PM
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
j/c

Just a heads up for anyone and everyone. If you've never heard of a 'hang fire', look it up.

I had a hang fire once. It's an unexpected delay between pulling the trigger, and the gun going 'boom'. I almost killed my 4 wheeler. Thank God I didn't do the stupid thing and pull the gun up to look at it.

Solid advice.
ANY failure to fire, keep that muzzle pointed in a safe direction and under your control (not just laying down, in case it fires) until the chamber is cleared!!!
Give the gun at LEAST 30 seconds (preferably two minutes) before attempting to clear the chamber after a F2F.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: Handguns - 09/15/20 12:26 AM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
j/c

Solid advice.
ANY failure to fire, keep that muzzle pointed in a safe direction and under your control (not just laying down, in case it fires) until the chamber is cleared!!!
Give the gun at LEAST 30 seconds (preferably two minutes) before attempting to clear the chamber after a F2F.

Tks.

What would cause such a delay and the round go off 5-10-20+ secs after the original "failure to fire"?

I've no doubt heard of it but never knew the reason(s) for a "failure to fire".
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Handguns - 09/15/20 12:35 AM
Faulty primer. Slow primer? Poor firing pin that doesn't cause instant ignition? Old ammo?

Doesn't really matter. If the gun is loaded, and you pull the trigger and it doesn't fire...........do NOT move the gun from a safe firing position. Period.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Handguns - 09/15/20 12:51 AM
Keep the weapon pointed down range, into the ground or away from anyone near you. Make sure you alert anyone around to get behind where the weapon is pointed. Release the magazine so no more than one misfire could possibly occur. At that point try to determine if it’s a jammed slide, firing pin or a captured casing that didn’t eject properly. Whatever the cause of the misfire may be, clear it if you can, lock the slide if possible, if not, set the weapon on the ground pointing down range and have someone go for assistance.
Posted By: Psydeffect Re: Handguns - 09/15/20 01:15 AM

Yes. But they're going to cost ya right now if you can find them.

I was lucky enough to find 500 rounds of .380 hollow points here bulkammo.com, although they have nothing now you just have to keep an eye out. But they do have some 9mm hollow points available if that's what you're looking for. I just prefer them for my .380 since that is what I carry.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Handguns - 09/15/20 01:17 AM
A failure to eject is easy to diagnose, instantly. But, a failure to eject is completely different than a hangfire. Totally.

I think you're talking 'misfire'. What you describe is pertinent to 'misfire'. Not hang fire. IMO.

In a hang fire, to my knowledge, you NEVER want to open the slide. Ever. (well, for up to 2 minutes - you never know how long the primer will sizzle before ignition)
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Handguns - 09/15/20 01:26 AM
How do you know if its a hangfire? If it doesnt fire the first thing I do is look for a jam.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Handguns - 09/15/20 02:08 AM
A hang fire and a mis fire are similar. A jamb? Gun goes bang when you pull the trigger, but the slide doesn't close on the next round.

It's easy to see if it was a failure to eject, and if it was a failure to eject, the next round is not in the chamber OR not fireable since the slide hasn't closed.

You'll know a hang fire if you ever have one now that you know what one is.

Even revolvers can have a hang fire, though.

If you pull the trigger on a legit loaded gun and it doesn't go 'boom' keep it pointed down range. You can look at the slide........just keep the gun pointed down range. In a hang fire, since it didn't fire, it won't have cycled the slide - meaning the slide will still be shut/closed.

A misfire would do the same thing. Give it time. 30 seconds at a minimum. Prp said 2 minutes.

Failure to eject will almost always mean the shell casing is stuck in the ejector or slide - but it went boom first.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Handguns - 09/15/20 02:10 AM
Thank you.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Handguns - 09/15/20 02:16 AM
I appreciate you guys educating us novices. Thanks.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Handguns - 09/15/20 02:27 AM
I am far from an expert. I grew up in a home with NO guns. Anything I know about guns has come from a first hand experience AND/or someone else's experience.

The hang fire I had, years ago? Even though I 'knew' what a hang fire was, I almost screwed up.

That is why I posted what I did way back.

Guns are fun. Guns are dangerous.

Hang fire and misfire can be misconstrued and the only way to know is time. Open the slide on a hang fire? Probably not good.

Failure to eject? Pretty noticeable, and generally speaking, a new round didn't go into the firing position since the slide didn't close. (that's on semi auto hand guns, and actually, semi auto shotguns, and semi auto rifles)
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Handguns - 09/15/20 02:30 AM
You know way more than I do. I appreciate the knowledge.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Handguns - 09/15/20 02:17 PM
Also, learn the sound of your gun, and if you fire a round and it sounds weak, off, or soft, do NOT fire the next round. You may have a squib round which is a bullet that for whatever reason doesn't properly fire the bullet from the barrel. It could be too light of a load (not enough powder added to the casing when it was loaded) or a faulty primer or bad powder.... but, the end result would be the same, a projectile lodged in your barrel. If the follow-up round is able to chamber and you fire it, you could blow up the gun.

GENERALLY SPEAKING - with factory ammo this is not going to be something you need to typically worry about and it is far more common when you load your own ammo, but it is still a possibility, so learn your firearm. Get familiar with how it sounds and how the recoil feels... if it sounds or feels weaker than normal when you fire it, stop, unload it, clear the chamber, and look through the ejector port down the barrel to verify you have daylight at the other end and are all clear.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Handguns - 09/15/20 05:06 PM
Good point.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Handguns - 09/17/20 02:43 PM
While it's not 100% on-topic, I didn't want to make a new thread. Also, it'll be pertinent to the OP once said handgun is purchased.

Where/what are people's favorite methods of getting ammo? I've seen bulkammo.com referenced on here already.

Are there vendors and/or brands to avoid? Is the situation different for different types of guns (I know someone said 9mm is especially difficult to find?).

For me (long story short) I own a rifle and am bringing it from where it's at to my home. It has a place to be locked up, but I want to get it checked (I have a couple local places), and I want to get to firing it so we can get acquainted. I need to find ammo, and a reliable source would be best. My specific rifle takes 5.56.

Any tips, in general or for me specifically, would be much appreciated.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Handguns - 09/17/20 05:20 PM
I had a very large reply typed up that I lost to network issues and a reboot, but here's the short version: if you find it, buy it. End of story.
Do no concern yourself with manufacturer, brass vs steel, lead, flat point, hollow point, FMJ, Ball, wad cutter, etc.... if your firearm will eat it, feed it.

The longer version follows.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Handguns - 09/17/20 05:28 PM
The longer version is this: there is a global shortage on primers right now. This is equally affecting the home reloader and the large-scale manufacturers. Everybody has all the brass, powder, and boolits they could want, but without primers you cannot make a functioning bullet. Globally, primer manufacturers are struggling to meet the demand... the US manufacturers like CCI, Winchester, Remington, Federal, and the Euros like Prvi Partizan (Serbia), Armscor (Phillipines), Sellior & Belloit (Czech), Fiocchi (Italy) are all trying to keep up. I have nothing to confirm this, but I suspect that the issue is likely in the global supply chain for minerals/materials used on the production of primers being disrupted by COVID.

With the exception of ammunition like 22LR and other rimfire cartridges, ALL calibers are equally affected (although 50BMG is a little less affected since it doesn't share primer sizes with anything else that is popular/common).

Supposedly, according to an article in Guns & Ammo, there are several million primers en route from Europe via cargo ship, but they need to arrive, be unloaded, pass customs, and then make it into the distribution system. I suspect the majority will go to the large manufacturers leaving a much smaller portion for the consumer market.

Posted By: EveDawg Re: Handguns - 09/17/20 07:06 PM
Check around your local sporting goods stores. There is one here that has all calibers, but limits on how much you can buy per day. It's a Mom n Pop store. So be sure to check those, not just the chain stores.

Ranges will also sell you some with the caveat that you are also using their range that day.

Also, you can find some online, just do some searching. The only problem with online is they tend to hit you with a large shipping fee.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Handguns - 09/17/20 07:16 PM
Also, use https://ammoseek.com/

They kinda scrape the web and return results of who has what, where, based on the caliber you select.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Handguns - 09/17/20 09:15 PM
j/c:

This has been an educational thread. I appreciate all the information.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Handguns - 09/17/20 09:37 PM
I generally buy a box of ammo here and there, as opposed to a bulk buy. But, a number of years ago, I did bulk buy when things, ammo wise, were tight. I have what some would consider "alot". But they are in ammo boxes with silica gel packs for moisture.

12 gauge shot is what I go through the most. Shoot, an afternoon of shooting clay targets can easily go through 200 rounds, so that is what I pick up most often. 25 here, 50 there.

Store the ammo properly.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Handguns - 09/18/20 12:33 AM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Are there vendors and/or brands to avoid? Is the situation different for different types of guns (I know someone said 9mm is especially difficult to find?).

Any tips, in general or for me specifically, would be much appreciated.

If you find any, as others have said, buy it. I can find jacketed hollow points around, but they’re trending at $.80 to $1 a round, which of course is insane compared to last year. Thing is, those are self defense rounds. You need to shoot some through each gun, but only enough to ensure they work and you know how they kick.

Finding target ammo is another whole quest. It should be around $.40+ a round, which again is insane compared to last year. If you go to Federal’s website, you can order directly from the manufacturer, which I did two weeks back. They deliver to Ohio, so all good there.

In general, the cheaper the ammo, the crappier the powder. Meaning, it may be cheap, but you’ll need to clean your gun a lot more often. Two years back I bought some magtech 9mm for cheap. It shot well enough but my gun looked like the inside of a 25-year old coal chimney. Gross.

If you don’t mind cleaning your gun a lot, then buy all the cheap ammo you want (non-pandemic times that is). The more you buy, the more you shoot, the more you practice and the better you get. I ended up becoming a decent shot before all this happened. I could hit where I wanted with my G43 (single stacks can be hard to control for some).
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Handguns - 09/18/20 01:41 PM

Store the ammo properly.

Go on....

:-p
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Handguns - 09/18/20 02:16 PM
The bigger issue with inexpensive ammo like MagTech isn't the powder, though some powders do leave more residue, it is the case material.

Steel cases are super strong and incredibly rigid. They can hold up to anything, but the downside is that the case doesn't expand and seal against the chamber walls as well as brass (if at all), so you end up with a LOT more gases blowing back into the inner parts of your firearm.

Aluminum cases do expand readily and do a much better job of sealing the chamber than steel cases, but the metal is weak and easily have material blown off them. The inside of your barrel and chamber can kinda end up looking a little like a glitter party happened.

Brass really is the end-all, be-all of casings... but, again, COVID rules change things. Buy what you can find because you don't know when you'll be able to find any again.... e.g. my 300BLK rifle: I cannot find 110gr ammo for it at all, much less the brand it is sighted for. Finding ANY 300 Blackout is a chore in itself.
Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING Re: Handguns - 09/18/20 04:03 PM
j/c

Thank God I didn't do the stupid thing and pull the gun up to look at it.

Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Handguns - 09/18/20 06:16 PM
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
j/c

Thank God I didn't do the stupid thing and pull the gun up to look at it.

He must have skipped day one of gun class. /smh
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Handguns - 09/19/20 02:09 PM
and every single class on common sense ever given.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Handguns - 09/19/20 02:11 PM
I know this sounds crazy, but it almost looked like that was staged and he did it intentionally.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Handguns - 09/28/20 03:35 AM
I just bought this: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/879992207
Here are the specs: https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-15-sport-ii

I need a scope for it.
It will be bunches of fun to shoot at the range.

I never shot an AR15, but will try my fellow's AR15 next week.
Train me for shooting that one.
Posted By: fishtheice Re: Handguns - 09/28/20 07:25 AM
You're setting up an impressive collection Eve! thumbsup
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Handguns - 09/28/20 11:48 AM
I'm not sure how easily you can do it with the fixed front sight, but setting up your scope to co-witness your sights is a pretty good system to have. If your red dot battery fails, you can still use your magnification and just put the front post on the target.

The glass I got for mine is two pieces, both made by Vortex.
The main sight is an unmagnified red dot: the Vortex Strikefire II. Fairly compact and affordable. Sitting between that and my eye is the Vortex VMX-3T - it is a flip-out 3x magnifier.

With it flipped open to the side, I have no magnification, but really long eye relief on my red dot... perfect for closer targets. If I need to push out farther, I can just roll the 3x into place and I'm good to see clearly out to about 200 yards. Since my rifle is zeroed at 50 yards, the furthest I'm really going is about 300 yards, anyway, so it works well.
For iron sights, I put on a set of flip-down/foldable iron sights. If you wanted to go that route, you'd only need to change out the hand guard on the front end of your rifle, which would also remove the fixed front sight. Then, you just put on a new hand guard that has a flat rail down the full length.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Handguns - 09/28/20 12:52 PM
Not quite as friendly as we are here, but good info:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Handguns - 09/28/20 01:02 PM
Here you go Eve. An elegant target rifle. Lyman Sharps 1878 single shot 45-70 with a double set trigger and tang mounted site.

Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Handguns - 09/28/20 03:38 PM
I just bought this: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/879992207
Here are the specs: https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-15-sport-ii

I need a scope for it.
It will be bunches of fun to shoot at the range.

I never shot an AR15, but will try my fellow's AR15 next week.
Train me for shooting that one.

Shooting is easy. Cleaning the thing is another story.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: Handguns - 10/11/20 02:25 AM
Thought I'd throw this into this thread.....Camp Perry Shooting Matches were cancelled for this past May.

Didn't realize they were cancelled. To bad. Really enjoy watching them(TV). The practice, the skill, the concentration, etc

To bad for all the shooters.

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/outdo...ies/20200526013
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Handguns - 10/17/20 04:15 AM

My gun collection.

Top to bottom.

S&W MP Sport 2. I guess its a M4 style.

Left to right middle row.

Vintage Beretta 92fs 9mm
S&W 357 Magnum revolver. I shoot 38 special out of it.
Ruger Mark III target pistol. 22 caliber.

And on the bottom, a Beretta 20 gauge shotgun.
I would to do some more trap shooting with it.

I think I'm done collecting guns until I spend more time at the range.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Handguns - 10/17/20 04:29 AM
Do that.

As I told someone else in a pm, guns are great. IF you're familiar with them. And IF you know how to shoot them. Otherwise, they're just that, guns.

The pm was about a specific gun I own, but haven't shot in a while. As I was relating my experience with the gun, I mentally went through the break down of that gun - as in how to break it down for cleaning. I could do it from memory. I............well............having guns doesn't mean much if you don't know them, and how to shoot them.

Go to the range, especially with the hand guns. Learn them.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Handguns - 10/17/20 04:35 AM
Yes, I agree. I do love going to the range.

My fellow is way more hardcore into the guns than I am.

He was just here tonight showing me how to break down the ar15 and lube it.

I think we will go to the range next week.

I go through phases where I go to the range a bunch, and then not so much.

As long as I can become familiar with them I'll be happy.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Handguns - 10/17/20 06:05 AM
Y'all be geeks about guns like I'm a geek about stereo gear... or vintage string instruments that now cost more than a third-world country's entire GDP.

I love it.

People (and their fetishes) are funny.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Handguns - 10/17/20 10:00 AM
Impressive.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Handguns - 10/17/20 10:09 AM
I have another question.

I recently picked-up my new handgun. I got the Beretta 92-FS Compact. I wanted the full-sized one, but they just haven't become available. The Compact is larger and heavier than most compacts and feels real good in my hand. My wife is able to easily handle it.

Here is my question. I am right handed, but not right-eye dominant. My left eye is not exactly dominant, but a bit better than my right eye. It sounds funny, but it's called cross eyed dominant. I have been reading about it and watching videos. The one that made the most sense to me was where you look through the two rear sites and then the target while trying not to rely on the front site. Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCa6jcfTlys

Question: What do you guys think about this? Is that a good strategy if you are cross eyed dominant?
Posted By: jfanent Re: Handguns - 10/17/20 01:07 PM
I'm missing my right trigger finger due to a childhood accident and I'm right eye dominant. I find it easiest and quickest to get the front sight on target and raise the rear of the weapon until the front sight is in the notch of the rear sight. The target is always blurry if you're doing it right.

I have the front sights and two dots on the rear sight of my handguns painted with Hi-Vis paint. When the 3 dots are aligned you're in business. If the main purpose of your handgun is home protection, you're fighting the effects of adrenalin should you happen to need it. Larger, easier to get on target sights are the way to go. Also, these aren't the weapons for a light trigger pull. You're going to sacrifice a little accuracy at the range, and if target shooting is important to you, use a different weapon for that.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Handguns - 10/17/20 01:17 PM
Thanks.

I have the gun for home defense. I was just piggybacking off of what arch and Eve were saying about going to the range and becoming comfortable w/the gun. I am not interested in showing off at the range...LOL
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Handguns - 10/17/20 02:39 PM
I think I'm done collecting guns...

...said no gun enthusiast ever. tongue

They're like tattoo's. One turns into two, two turns into three, three turns into four and so on.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Handguns - 10/17/20 02:44 PM
Practice never hurts.
Posted By: Psydeffect Re: Handguns - 10/17/20 07:35 PM
Have 60 grand to spare? Looks like fun lol

https://www.rkguns.com/colt-1877-bulldog...colcgg1877.html
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Handguns - 11/13/20 04:49 AM

So, this happened 2 miles from my house.

I dont know if this is just crime, or people are scared because of Biden wanting to infringe on 2nd amendment.

They stole 2 dozen guns, mostly hand guns.

This crime needs to stay out of my town.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Handguns - 11/13/20 05:22 AM
Holy moly!
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: Handguns - 11/19/20 02:40 PM
Thought I'd add this to Vers's handgun thread...

Quite a few ornaments:' Ohio gun policy overhaul would expand concealed carry, stand your ground
Jessie Balmert
Cincinnati Enquirer

Changes to an Ohio gun bill would expand access to firearms dramatically.

COLUMBUS – A proposed major overhaul to Ohio gun laws would allow concealed guns in more places, 18-year-olds to buy firearms and people to "stand their ground" when firing in self-defense.

Dozens of changes could soon be added to House Bill 248. A 33-page analysis of those amendments, obtained by The Enquirer, reveals dozens of ways lawmakers hope to expand access to guns in Ohio.

"The combination of all of these things is really frightening because it’s almost an obsession with the access to guns," said Toby Hoover, founder of the Ohio Coalition Against Gun Violence.

The proposals stand in stark contrast to Republican Gov. Mike DeWine's pleas to address gun violence. DeWine has repeatedly asked lawmakers to increase penalties for people who provide guns to others prohibited from having them.

Instead, changes to House Bill 248 would make it more difficult to prosecute someone who sells, lends or gives a firearm to someone who is intoxicated or banned from having a gun. The seller would have to "knowingly" provide the gun rather than "recklessly," the requirement under current law.

Another hotly contested concept – stand your ground – makes an appearance in proposed changes. With an amendment, the bill would eliminate a duty to retreat before firing in self-defense while at a business.

Current law only allows Ohioans to "stand their ground" at their residences or vehicles. GOP lawmakers, in another bill, recently proposed eliminating a duty to retreat before firing during a riot.

The amendments would allow concealed guns in more places, including colleges and universities, places of worship and state property. Other locations that currently ban concealed guns, such as police stations and airport terminals, could allow them if the governing bodies of those locations approve the change.

If the amendments become law, business owners who post signs banning guns on their property could be sued for anyone injured or killed there.

The Ohio Chamber of Commerce would push back against a proposal to infringe upon business owners' ability to control their own workforces, said Kevin Shimp, director of labor and legal affairs.

"Employers should be free to make the decision that works best for them," Shimp said.

Another change would allow Ohioans to have their guns while drinking in bars again. The proposed changes would only ban someone from having a gun in a bar if the person was under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

If approved, House Bill 248 would balloon from its original purpose: allowing people banned from having guns to possess antique firearms. Buckeye Firearms Association supported the initial bill but could not be reached for comment on the proposed amendments.

Other changes include:

Reduce the minimum age to obtain a concealed weapons license from 21 years old to 18 years old. Those with a license could purchase guns at 18 years old.

Eliminate the requirement that concealed weapons licensees carry their license with them. Any valid identification could be used instead.

Eliminate a requirement that concealed handgun license holders "promptly" inform police that they have a gun. Licensees would still need to inform police if they have a gun in the vehicle.

Prohibit schools and universities from penalizing employees or students who carry a concealed weapon legally.

Specify that state and federal lawmakers can regulate guns – not city and other local officials.

Require police to auction unclaimed or forfeited firearms rather than destroy them.

Would allow the manufacture, sale and possession of brass knuckles, cestus, billy, blackjack, sandbag, switchblade knife, springblade knife, gravity knife or similar weapon.

The bill was slated for a hearing in House Federalism Committee Wednesday, but it was canceled Tuesday. Chairman John Becker, R-Union Township in Clermont County described the proposed legislation as a "Christmas tree bill" for public safety.

"There's actually quite a few ornaments hanging on this tree," said Becker, who hopes to pass the bill out of committee after Thanksgiving.

Hoover said this overhaul of Ohio gun laws should be subject to public's scrutiny. But she's come to expect quickly passed proposals in the final months of the legislative session from Ohio's GOP-controlled Legislature.

"This one is everything they wanted for Christmas, I guess," she said.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/po...und/6316991002/
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Handguns - 11/19/20 02:46 PM
Despite being a "gun nut" as some would characterize, I find most of this being either poor practice, poor execution, or in poor taste.
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Handguns - 11/23/20 01:06 PM
Very nice choice!

The past licensed pistol for the military and fame of 80's action movies like Die Hard and the Lethal Weapon series. I shot one myself a couple months ago and ever since then I wanted one. Personally I think its one of the most beautiful guns ever made.

These are hard to find but I ended up ordering online through Kentucky Gun Co and its being shipped from the warehouse. Should come in maybe in a couple days, so excited!!! I selected pick of in KY to have a nice relaxing drive down there for fun. The place itself looks incredible.

But yeah, I am so jazzed about getting my 92FS.

Posted By: Swish Re: Handguns - 11/23/20 01:23 PM
Too bad these handguns can’t protect y’all from COVID.

Oh well.
Posted By: jeepnstein Re: Handguns - 11/23/20 05:22 PM
I've been a Deputy for around twenty five years now. I've carried a gun enough to have some might strong opinions on the matter.

Firstly, try and buy ammo right now. Good luck with that. I had to scrounge just to take a course a couple weeks back. The supply will dictate what kind of handgun you buy.

Secondly, Beretta is some good stuff. I've never used one on duty but have spent time with them. They're heavy but built to last.

Lastly. Nothing can top a Smith and Wesson revolver for most homeowners self defense. That's what I'd suggest. If you can't solve the problem in six shots you're probably in way deeper than you need to be.

I really think you're in good shape with a shotgun on hand. Given the craziness in the market right now I wouldn't worry about adding a pistol at this point.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: Handguns - 12/05/20 02:22 AM
Hmmm.....figured I'd put this in Verse's handgun thread.....good thread to revive as well....new purchases, etc.

Smith & Wesson’s stock jumps as record gun demand fuels latest earnings surprise
Published: Dec. 4, 2020 at 3:10 p.m. ET
By Tomi Kilgore

Shares of Smith & Wesson Brands Inc. rallied Friday, after the gun maker reported another big profit beat and sales that more than doubled, as demand for firearms continued to surge to record levels.

The 168-year-old handgun and rifle maker reported late Thursday net income that jumped to $52.2 million, or 92 cents a share, from $1.3 million, or 2 cents a share, in the year-ago period.

‘The research indicated that for those people who own firearms, the average number of firearms possessed was eight.’— Mark Smith, Smith & Wesson.

Sales soared 118.7% to $248.7 million, above the FactSet consensus of $223 million.

The stock SWBI, +5.16% ran up 3.4% in active afternoon trading. Volume topped 3.2 million shares, more than the full-day average of 2.5 million shares. The stock has more than doubled (up 119.6%) in 2020, while the S&P 500 index SPX, +0.88% has gained 14.3%.

In a post-earnings conference call with analysts, Chief Executive Mark Smith said the “second consecutive record-breaking quarter” came as federal background checks, which he said are considered the best available proxy for consumer firearm demand, were 57.5% above levels seen in the same period a year ago.

For the first 11 months of 2020, there have been 19.2 million background checks for gun purchases, the most for an 11-month period since the Federal Bureau of Investigation started recording data in 1998, Smith said.

And based on firearm industry estimates provided by the National Shooting Sports Foundation, or NSSF, Smith & Wesson estimates that nearly 8 million Americans were first-time gun buyers.

That bodes very well for the company, given what it could mean about demand for guns over the longer term.

“In October, we conducted an attitude and usage study of over 1,200 law-abiding firearm owners with the goal of gaining a better understanding of today’s firearm consumer,” Smith said on the analyst call, according to a FactSet transcript. “The research indicated that for those people who own firearms, the average number of firearms possessed was eight.”

And NSSF research indicated that about one in four new gun owners went on to buy additional firearms at higher prices than their first purchase.

“Therefore, this expanded consumer base of new firearm owners represents a healthy long-term opportunity for the industry as a whole, but specifically for Smith & Wesson,” Smith said.

Analyst James Hardiman at Wedbush raised his stock price target to $18 from $17 after the results but reiterated the neutral rating he’s had on the company since March 2019. He said there is some concern that the results could be tempered going forward as supply is “very depleted” and could remain an issue in the coming quarters.

“Demand remains very strong, but Black Friday and the holiday shopping season have been held back this year due to a lack of inventory for the industry,” Hardiman wrote in a note to clients.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/smith-...and-11607112618
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Handguns - 12/05/20 02:54 AM
It would be nice if we could get some ammo in the stores.

Can't find any 20 gauge 2 3/4 buckshot anywhere.

My shotgun has birdshot in it. Aint gonna dent anyone who gets in my house.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Handguns - 12/05/20 03:25 PM
I bought a new S&W hand gun just last month. They also had plenty of ammo in stock. The ammo was a little pricey but not too bad. I'm really not sure why I even bought the gun. I mean, it's not like i need it. Just another one for the collection I suppose.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Handguns - 12/06/20 01:47 AM
Prices on ammo is still up there pretty high, but I was noticing today that it's much more readily available. SGAmmo.com has a bunch of 9mm, even if it is 70 cents a round.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Handguns - 12/06/20 04:34 PM
I paid just slightly less than that but very close to it.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Handguns - 12/06/20 04:48 PM
Even the Winchester white box fmj stuff? Crap, I'm used to the 100 round boxes going for between 15 and 20 dollars. Glad I have a nice stockpile.
Posted By: teedub Re: Handguns - 12/06/20 05:02 PM
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Even the Winchester white box fmj stuff? Crap, I'm used to the 100 round boxes going for between 15 and 20 dollars. Glad I have a nice stockpile.

Unless you wish to have a coronary, I would not go looking for 9mm ammo if you are hoping for 20 cents/rd. You will be lucky to find FMJ for under 60 cents/rd.
Posted By: teedub Re: Handguns - 12/06/20 05:04 PM
For all of you that have spoken about the 92fs (great gun), I would immediately go to Beretta's website and order the conversion kit that turns your FS into a G. $30 upgrade and totally worth the price.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Handguns - 12/06/20 05:27 PM
Originally Posted By: jfanent

That was Remington 124gr FMJ.. a 500 round case at $0.68/round.
That is the CHEAPEST 9mm price per round they have... and they typically have all the best deals going (or close to it).

a 50 round box of Remington 147gr HP is a whopping $1.20 per round.
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Handguns - 12/07/20 02:12 PM
For all of you that have spoken about the 92fs (great gun), I would immediately go to Beretta's website and order the conversion kit that turns your FS into a G. $30 upgrade and totally worth the price.

Wait, what is this? Can you elaborate please?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Handguns - 12/07/20 02:44 PM
A month or so ago I bought a couple boxes of .556 at almost $1/round. Had VERY mixed feelings when I clicked the purchase button.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Handguns - 12/07/20 04:51 PM
You didn't do bad. The cheapest I'm still seeing on 5.56 is $0.95/round.

If I could score some primers, I'd go into business reloading right now.
I could probably retire by loading 5.56 and 300BLK.

Posted By: teedub Re: Handguns - 12/07/20 07:17 PM
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies

Wait, what is this? Can you elaborate please?

The safety mechanism on the FS serves as a true mechanical safety as well as a decocker. However, the positioning of the safety lever is difficult to reach for most people, and the upward sweep needed to disengage the safety is somewhat counter intuitive. The conversion kit will change the safety into a decocker only. At this point you are relying on the long DA pull to be the last line of defense from a negligent discharge. I was leary of making the switch, but after using the same setup on my PX4 Storm, I found that I really like the setup and thus changed my 92FS to a 92G
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: Handguns - 12/09/20 02:44 AM
Smith & Wesson Issues M&P Shield Pistol Recall
3:00PM TUESDAY, DECEMBER 01, 2020

M&P SHIELD® EZ® PISTOL IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL NOTICE FOR PISTOLS MANUFACTURED BETWEEN MARCH 1ST, 2020 AND OCTOBER 31ST, 2020

Smith & Wesson has identified two M&P Shield EZ Pistols on which the hammers manufactured by our supplier were cracked. In those firearms, the hammer failed to fully engage the sear, causing the round to fire, cycling the slide, and potentially resulting in multiple discharges without depressing the trigger. This issue can occur in the following two scenarios:

With a loaded magazine in the firearm and the grip safety depressed, releasing the slide (by pulling it back, or releasing the slide stop), may ignite the round as the slide closes, without engaging the trigger. The condition may occur, regardless of the manual thumb safety position if equipped. This may also result in multiple discharges.
With a loaded magazine in the firearm, the grip safety depressed, manual safety in the fire position, slide closed, and a round in the chamber, pulling the trigger will cause the round to fire normally, however as the slide cycles, the next round may be ignited as it is chambered by the hammer failing to fully engage the sear, causing multiple discharges.

In all cases, the firearm will NOT fire unless the grip safety is depressed. While this condition has been found only in two hammers, and our investigation suggests that these two incidents are very isolated, any unintended discharge of a firearm has the potential to cause injury. Therefore, we have established this Safety Recall as a precautionary measure to ensure that all M&P Shield EZ Pistols in service meet our design specifications.

Stop using your M&P® Shield™ EZ pistol until you determine whether it is included in this safety recall, and if so, until it has been inspected and repaired by Smith & Wesson, if necessary.

PRODUCT AFFECTED:

This notice applies ONLY to M&P® Shield™ EZ pistols (including Performance Center® models) manufactured between March 1, 2020 and October 31, 2020, and only to a small percentage of that population. It does NOT apply to all SHIELD™ pistols. To determine whether your M&P Shield EZ Pistol is affected, check the label on the box to determine date of manufacture (see image below), and if manufacture date is between March 1, 2020 and October 31, 2020 – your pistol may be affected. In this case (or if you are unsure of your date of manufacture), simply go to www.MPShieldEZrecall.com and input your serial number, or call 888-871-7114 .

FOR OWNERS OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES:

For M&P Shield EZ Pistol owners outside the United States, see our list of Authorized Warranty Centers available at smith-wesson.com/customer-service/warranty-stations, who will inspect your pistol and replace your hammer as necessary.

FOR DEALERS/DISTRIBUTORS/RETAILERS:

If you have less than 5 affected firearms, please input your serial numbers to receive return labels. If you have 5 or more affected pistols in inventory, please call 888-871-7114 and we will coordinate a pickup of the affected firearms. In either case, the firearms will be expedited to our facility, repaired, and returned to you ASAP.

For those pistols on the list which you have already sold, we ask that you provide us with the names, addresses, telephone numbers and e-mails of customers to whom you have sold them to. Please send this information to us electronically at MPShieldEZrecall@smith-wesson.com . If you do not have the capability to return the form electronically, please call 888-871-7114. This information is vital to ensure that notice of the recall is given to all affected purchasers. Once we receive this information from you, we will immediately arrange to provide notice of the recall directly to your customers.

REMEDY/ACTION TO BE TAKEN:

If your M&P Shield EZ Pistol is included in this recall, we will arrange for the return of your firearm to Smith & Wesson for inspection. After inspection, if the hammer from your firearm is affected, it will be replaced at no cost to you. We expect that this entire process will take no longer than 10 business days, and your pistol will be returned as quickly and efficiently as possible. All shipping and replacement costs will be covered by Smith & Wesson.

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/2020-woes-continue-smith-wesson-issues-mp-shield-pistol-recall
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Handguns - 12/09/20 03:33 AM
Thanks. I KNEW my son's wasn't made in that time frame, but I called him anyway because he has a Shield. Good excuse to call him, like I need an excuse, right?
© DawgTalkers.net