DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: TTTDawg Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/06/20 08:04 PM
Eddie Van Halen, rock guitar god, dead of throat cancer at 65

By Lauren SteussyOctober 6, 2020 | 3:38pm | Updated

Eddie Van Halen, rock guitar god, dead of throat cancer at 65
Eddie Van Halen at the Brendan Byrne Arena in East Rutherford, New Jersey on April 3, 1984.Ebet Roberts/Getty I
Musician Eddie Van Halen has died. He was 65.

The iconic guitarist and founder of his eponymous rock band lost his battle with throat cancer. Van Halen’s son Wolfgang shared a touching memorial to his father on Tuesday, confirming the heartbreaking news.

“I can’t believe I’m having to write this, but my father, Edward Lodewijk Van Halen, has lost his long and arduous battle with cancer this morning. He was the best father I could ever ask for. Every moment I’ve shared with him on and off stage was a gift,” said Wolfgang, 29, who was the band’s bassist since 2006.

“My heart is broken and I don’t think I’ll ever fully recover from this loss. I love you so much, Pop.”

His wife Janie was by his side as the cancer spread throughout his body. He passed away in Santa Monica on Tuesday, according to TMZ. The rocker experienced several health difficulties over the years following his cancer diagnosis. In 2019, he was hospitalized after suffering a bad reaction to his cancer medication.

Eddie was born in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, and came to the US in 1962. Ten years later, he and his brother formed the band along with vocalist David Lee Roth and bassist Michael Anthony. They went on to break barriers in rock music, selling 80 million records worldwide and joining the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2007.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/06/eddie-van-halen-dead-at-65/
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/06/20 08:06 PM
Wow, never saw that one coming. One hell of a guitarist.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/06/20 08:08 PM
Happy Trails Edward...

Will listen to VH until I move on myself.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/06/20 08:08 PM
One of my faves.

As some of you guys know, I’m a guitar freak - love them and those who play it well.
EVH is the only rock guitarist I’d put with Hendrix, there’s nobody else.

A true craftsman, innovator and although this phrase is used to often, he was a musical genius who put the fun back in rock guitar.

RIP, Edward.
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/06/20 08:10 PM
"Eddie Van Halen reinvented the electric guitar." - Frank Zappa

A true virtuoso.

R.I.P.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/06/20 08:18 PM
RIP Eddie. You did things with a guitar that drove anyone who even just dreamed of picking up a guitar crazy.

Man, I didn't see this coming.
Posted By: Dave Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/06/20 08:42 PM
Awesome guitarist, great band. Not to be trite, but I'm thinking of that old song "If there's a Rock 'n Roll Heaven" ... well, if there is, I'd pay good money to hear the jam session with Eddie, Jimi, and Stevie Ray. Rest in peace, Eddie. You'll be missed, but the music will live on.

Good lord, this bleep-show of a year can't end soon enough.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/06/20 08:45 PM
Crap year for sure.

He did a lot of recording at his home studio and there’s probably tons of stuff in the vaults - instrumentals and the like. I’d be interested in hearing some of it someday.
Posted By: FATE Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/06/20 08:51 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Man, I didn't see this coming.

Right? That's because he's cemented in our mind as that twenty-something... You hear the opening notes of Eruption and see that kid standing on stage shredding his guitar. Redefining the sound of rock and inspiring musicians for generations to come.

I don't think anybody every made absolute mastery look so ridiculously effortless.

RIP Eddie.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/06/20 09:12 PM

Dude was incredible.

R.I.P.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/06/20 09:33 PM
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
"Eddie Van Halen reinvented the electric guitar." - Frank Zappa

This is high praise, indeed.
Zappa- damn.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/06/20 09:38 PM
RIP. This is sad, one of the best ever at the electric guitar. I always thought Eddie was held back by his band. They wrote some great songs, but Michael Anthony and brother Alex were not in the same league. I loved it when Eddie sat in with David Letterman's band. Can't fault the guy for wanting to play with his son, either.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/06/20 09:58 PM
What I love most about EVH - like I feel about Hendrix - was I liked the lead work, but more so his rhythm playing, sense of swing, humour and the mere sound of his guitar.

Also, his solos usually were short, crisp and sounded so alive. Just read that he did the Beat It solo for Michael Jackson in one take.

He was a practice junkie, but also gifted in a way few musicians are.
Posted By: Dave Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/06/20 10:02 PM
I just read a comment on another site that I wish I had said ...

I didn’t always listen to Van Halen, but when I did, so did the neighbors.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/06/20 10:20 PM
It seems our generation is losing multiple legends on a weekly basis. Sad.

And btw...………… F Cancer.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/06/20 10:38 PM
I was thinking of that one as well.

Something about it and "Runnin' with the Devil" starting off that first album.

RIP

The other thing I was thinking (hopefully not disrespectfully too soon) was what a fantastic gathering of musicians it will be when/if they decide to do a tribute type show for him.
Posted By: Dave Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/06/20 10:45 PM
I always liked the guitar after "Have you seen Junior's grades?" on "The Cradle Will Rock".
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/06/20 11:13 PM
That’s crappy news. What a guitarist. Many hours of enjoyment to me. RIP
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/06/20 11:17 PM
There were times that I had a hard time taking the band Van Halen seriously. They did some weird s...! There were other times I was like "Wow, that's awesome." Kind of a confusing band and I had a hard time ignoring some of the bubble gum crap they put out.

However, I never doubted how well EVH could play. Guys like lamp, who know way more than me, have already articulated how good he was and I won't tread in their territory, but I loved listening to some of his stuff.
Posted By: Dave Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/06/20 11:59 PM
There's not too many guitarists or bands that I liked all of the time. Just for example, Led Zeppelin was a great band and Jimmy Page was (is) a great guitarist, but I pretty much hated about 40% of Led Zep songs. They just weren't my cup of tea.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/07/20 12:14 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave
I always liked the guitar after "Have you seen Junior's grades?" on "The Cradle Will Rock".

That little part is another example of his musical imagination. Three of his instrumentals with VH stand out to me:

Spanish Fly
Cathedrals
Strung Out

The latter two.... I’m sure there’s an easy musical explanation for how he did those, what I admire is the mind that envisioned them in the first place. Like “how did he think of that” and why does the execution sound so effortless?
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/07/20 03:52 PM
Lost a legend. Some may want to watch this...

Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
And btw...………… F Cancer.

Posted By: Damanshot Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/07/20 04:06 PM
FWIW,, I watched several videos of him performing live. The man almost always had a cig lit up. I knew he was battling cancer for a while, I just didn't think he had progressed this far.

Anyway hell of a guitarist... Maybe the greatest Rock artist of his time.

RIP Eddie
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/07/20 04:09 PM
A real talent lost. While his style wasn’t really anything I connected to musically he was definitely an innovator and legend. His legacy is cemented amongst the greats. He’ll live on through that.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/07/20 04:21 PM
RIP Eddie. My heart goes out to his friends and family. The more artists we lose from my generation, the more it makes mortality real. I was more a fan of Van Hagar than Van Halen.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/07/20 06:28 PM
RIP

Clearly a talented player, but I can't say I was a big fan.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/07/20 06:53 PM
He was so influential, they named a band after him. wink
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/07/20 06:55 PM
j/c...

Posted By: northlima dawg Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/07/20 09:23 PM
Really good interview with Eddie about 5 years ago. It is a little long but good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb26D8bBZB8
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/08/20 01:05 AM
He was a guitar god for sure.

I always though his ability to write songs and melodies was underappreciated. He was very good...
Posted By: ErikInHell Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/08/20 02:09 AM
Originally Posted By: jfanent
RIP. This is sad, one of the best ever at the electric guitar. I always thought Eddie was held back by his band. They wrote some great songs, but Michael Anthony and brother Alex were not in the same league. I loved it when Eddie sat in with David Letterman's band. Can't fault the guy for wanting to play with his son, either.

I'm going to defend Alex and Michael Anthony. Alex van Halen is an awesome drummer, amd Michael Anthony has talent he never showed on stage. The band was designed to show off Eddie's guitar playing and Roth's antics on stage. Anthony was supposed to be in the backround playing single notes.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/08/20 03:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

Dude was incredible.

R.I.P.

Tulsa.....tks for this terrific vid. thumbsup

Never saw it before.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/08/20 08:28 PM

More EVH content. Sometimes Youtube can be very cool.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/08/20 11:53 PM
I’ve seen it a few times, but never get tired of it.
he made it look so easy and I guess - to him - it really was.

Clem and Eddie would have had lots to discuss.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/09/20 12:55 AM
Originally Posted By: northlima dawg
Really good interview with Eddie about 5 years ago. It is a little long but good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb26D8bBZB8

That was great, Lima. I just watched the whole thing.

Thanks for posting, I had never seen it.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/09/20 03:10 AM
MANAGER CONFIRMS VAN HALEN INTENDED TO REUNITE WITH MICHAEL ANTHONY
CHAD CHILDERS
Published: October 8, 2020

There were plenty of rumors floating around in 2019 about a Van Halen tour that would reunite them with longtime bassist Michael Anthony, but then it never happened. In a new chat with Pollstar, band manager Irving Azoff confirms that the talk was legit, but that Eddie Van Halen's health altered their plans.

“We had lots of stops and starts, but there was every intention of doing a summer stadium tour (in 2019), and as the cancer moved around, [Van Halen] was physically unable to do it,” Azoff says. The manager revealed there was even talk of having major acts like Foo Fighters and Metallica appear with them in select cities, adding, “There is no doubt in my mind that it would have been massive.Anthony was with Van Halen through their most successful period, but when the band reunited with singer David Lee Roth in 2006, Eddie's son Wolfgang became the band's bassist while Anthony continued his working relationship with former Van Halen frontman Sammy Hagar.

Reflecting on his time with the late guitarist, Azoff stated, “You get this image of this bombastic, incredible, loud, prodigy, but personally, he had a big heart. He did a lot of things for a lot of people that nobody knows about.”

He added, “I probably can’t speak as well as others have spoken over the last 24 hours as to Ed’s musical genius, but Ed the human being, especially as he had to come to grips with being human, really shined. He was a great father.”

Azoff continued that the "rock 'n' roll life" led to some of his health complications but posited, "I’ve never seen anybody fight the fight that [Van Halen] fought over the last 10 years, fighting the cancer.”

As for the possibility of more Van Halen material, Azoff said he was unsure what might come out. “Wolf and Alex will go up to 5150, the studio in Ed’s house, but there’s been a lot of recording over the years. I can’t predict that for sure there will be anything new, but for sure they’re going to look at it,” he concludes.

https://loudwire.com/manager-confirms-va...medium=referral
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/15/20 09:13 PM
j/c:

One of my fav VH songs. Check out the excellent drum beat and awesome guitar lead around the 1:48 mark (or thereabouts):

Posted By: TTTDawg Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/20/20 04:41 AM
Two guitars owned and played by the late Eddie Van Halen's are going up for auction.

A 2004 EVH Charvel Art Series electric guitar and a customized electric guitar Van Halen built will take the stage at “Icons & Idols Trilogy: Rock ‘N’ Roll,” Julien's Auctions announced Monday.

The event will take place Friday, Dec. 4, and Saturday, Dec. 5, live at Julien’s Auctions in Beverly Hills, Calif..

Both guitars were hand-striped by Van Halen in the familiar style of most of his guitars dating back to the first Van Halen album in 1978. Each of the guitars is expected to fetch between $60,000 and $80,000.

The auction was in motion before Van Halen died from throat cancer on Oct. 6. He was 65 years old.

“As we were preparing for our annual ‘Icons & Idols: Rock and Roll’ auction lineup, we were stunned to hear the sad news of Eddie Van Halen’s passing last week,” Julien’s Auction’s president Darren Julien said in a statement. “We are honored to include at this event two of his iconic guitars from his brilliant and blazing career as one of rock’s greatest and most gifted guitar heroes.”

The auction also includes a Fender Stratocaster played, and smashed, by Kurt Cobain on Nirvana's 1994 In Utero Tour, and a crystal-studded white glove worn by Michael Jackson on the Jackson brothers' 1984 Victory Tour.

In a separate auction, fans and collectors will be able to bid on Van Halen's guitar attachment design.

According to TMZ, memorabilia collector Eric Kuck said that he previously obtained an original design that Eddie submitted to the U.S. patent office in 1985 that includes a mockup for his “musical instrument support” device that allowed him to rest a guitar on his body and play it like a keyboard with both his hands. Now, he’s planning to put it up for auction at his brother’s Tampa-area business, Carrollwood Fine Wine and Spirits.

The item contains the original detailed drawings and a certificate of authenticity. The drawings also include the late rocker’s signature to further prove they’re legitimate.

There’s no telling how much the item will go for, but given Eddie’s recent death, it's likely worth a lot more than the $800 Kuck told the outlet he paid for it 15 years ago. However, his motivation to sell is far from greed. He told TMZ that he’s hoping a member of Eddie Van Halen’s family will obtain the patent and said he is willing to work with the family on an agreement.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/eddie-van-halen-guitars-auction
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 10/20/20 01:59 PM
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell
Originally Posted By: jfanent

I'm going to defend Alex and Michael Anthony. Alex van Halen is an awesome drummer, amd Michael Anthony has talent he never showed on stage. The band was designed to show off Eddie's guitar playing and Roth's antics on stage. Anthony was supposed to be in the backround playing single notes.

Yeah, I'm defending them too. Alex is a fantastic drummer. Michael is an average bassist but his background vocals are a significant factor in VH's signature sound.

Nobody held Eddie back.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 11/13/20 02:01 AM
Van Halen’s covers-heavy set at Pasadena High School in 1975 surfaces on YouTube

By Richard Bienstock 10 hours ago

Before they were conquering arenas and stadiums across the world, or even clubs around Hollywood and Southern California, Van Halen cut their teeth rocking backyard parties and high schools.

And one of the high schools they played frequently was Pasadena High, which counted Alex and Eddie Van Halen amongst its alumni.

Now, a new bootleg has surfaced of the band performing at the high school in April 1975. And like most Van Halen boots, it’s a scorcher.

The band plays a covers-heavy set, opening with ZZ Top’s Chevrolet and a funky and fast take on Deep Purple’s Maybe I’m a Leo. There’s also Johnny Winter’s version of Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo and “an old James Gang thing,” as David Lee Roth puts it, Walk Away.

Finally, they wrap things up with an original – an embryonic version of Fools (introduced here as I Live With Fools), which would later appear on Van Halen’s third effort, 1980’s Women and Children First.

While the quality of the bootleg is spotty at times, the band is in top form throughout – Roth and Michael Anthony deliver stellar harmony vocals on Edgar Winter’s We All Had a Real Good Time, and Eddie is absolutely on fire.

It’s enough to make any kid love going to school.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/van-hal...aces-on-youtube
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 11/13/20 02:09 AM
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 11/14/20 02:08 AM
Great find, thanks for posting.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 11/26/20 03:15 PM
Hear Eddie Van Halen at his jaw-dropping best on newly unearthed Hendrix cover
By Paul Brannigan (Classic Rock) 3 hours ago

Hear the late, great Eddie Van Halen unleashed on blazing 1996 cover of Jimi Hendrix’s If 6 Was 9

Chicago-born keyboardist David Garfield has recorded with everyone from Spinal Tap and Cher to Steve Lukathar and Smokey Robinson during his four decades in the music business.

One of the highlights of his storied career came in 1996, when he recorded with the late, great Eddie Van Halen. Garfield is now sharing that track, a cover of Jimi Hendrix’s If 6 Was 9, for the first time.

The cover, which appears on Garfield’s new EP, Guitar Heroes OTB, Vol. 1, also features singer/guitarist Michael Landau, bassist Will Lee and drummer Simon Phillips (The Who/Toto). But front and centre is guitar legend Van Halen, who delivers a typically jaw-dropping psychedelic guitar solo for the Hendrix classic.

If 6 Was 9, which appears on Guitar Heroes OTB in extended, remastered form, was recorded in 1996 at Chick Corea’s Mad Hatter Studios in Los Angeles and engineered by Alan Hirshberg. Eddie Van Halen’s overdubs were taped at his own 5150 Studios in LA.

Speaking to Guitar World about how the origins of the track, Garfield explained that he first met Van Halen “at a local cigar store and we got to talking.” At the time, Garfield was working on a project titled Tribute to Jeff Porcaro, in honour of the late Toto drummer, and when he mentioned this to Eddie, and asked if he’d like to participate, the guitarist’s response was an enthusiastic ‘yes!’

Garfield continues: "I went up to his house to work on the tracks with him, and he was so cool. We bonded as keyboard players, too. After that session, we played a live gig together at the Baked Potato, along with Steve Lukather and Michael Landau.

"We continued to stay in touch, and often he would call me out of the blue, asking for help with keyboard related stuff. I even found a guy to travel with him on tour and play additional parts offstage, as well as be his keyboard tech.”

https://www.loudersound.com/news/hear-ed...d-hendrix-cover
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 04/11/21 05:25 PM
Any bidders...?

Eddie Van Halen ‘Frankenstrat’ Guitars Hit the Auction Block

DANIEL KREPS
APRIL 10, 2021 3:01PM EDT

One of Eddie Van Halen’s iconic “Frankenstrat” guitar — which the rocker gifted to late Mountain guitarist Leslie West — is set to hit the auction block Sunday.

The “Kramer Striker/Ripley Rosewood Fingerboard Frankenstrat Solid Body Electric Guitar” — one of an arsenal of custom-made guitars that Eddie Van Halen designed and “spray-painted and striped by hand, presumably by hand,” Heritage Auctions said — was made for the guitarist in 1984, and was believed to be Van Halen’s backup guitar on both the tours in support of 1984 and 5150.

In the late-Eighties, Van Halen gave the instrument to one of his guitar heroes, Mountain’s Leslie West, who in turn gifted in 1990 to his bodyguard, who on Sunday will sell the guitar to the highest bidder.

The guitar — which has a Rosewood neck, as opposed to Van Halen’s usual maple necks —comes with a notarized letter of authenticity as well as “various nicks and metal coating wear are known to be from Eddie Van Halen,” Heritage Auctions adds.

Other notable instruments at Heritage Auctions’ guitar-filled sale Sunday include another of Van Halen’s Frankenstrats (this one from 2017), the ESP 400 that Kirk Hammett played in Metallica’s “One” video, one of Prince’s white “Cloud” guitars and Michael Jackson’s Flying V guitar from his “Scream” video.

In December 2020, just two months after Eddie Van Halen’s death, three of the guitarist’s Frankenstrats sold at auction for $422,000 combined.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music...on-1154168/amp/
Posted By: bonefish Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 04/11/21 10:23 PM

Throat cancer.

cigarettes.

Never was a heavy smoker. Probably 6 to 8 a day.

When my son was born in 1985 and my father died from a melanoma caused from pipe and cigar smoke. I never smoked again.

Some things you can control. Some you can't.

Throat cancer is a bad way to go.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo - 04/12/21 11:10 AM
I suppose there are no good ways. It is what it is.
© DawgTalkers.net