DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: sk8termom COVID-19 vaccine - 02/14/21 12:58 AM
I was fortunate enough to schedule 2 Covid-19 vaccine appointments for my husband and me at a local Rite-Aid. Their website was awful but finally got through. How is everyone else doing with this?
Posted By: jaybird Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/14/21 02:34 AM
i was blessed I got it through work... the public vaccines in the area have been a friggin nightmare though... the websites are horrible to navigate and the wait at most of the places in our area are ridiculous... I'm thankful my work was really simple

I'm hoping my wife can get hers soon but unfortunately she's relatively young (43) with no medical complications other than CP and she stays at home... so she'll be the last wave...
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/14/21 02:44 AM
My girlfriend, a nurse too, got her second Pfizer jab on Thursday. Sore arm but no other adverse effects.
I get my second Moderna this coming Friday.

My mom snowbirds in Florida. My sisters snd I have all tried to get her on lists. No luck this far. It’s scary and frustrating.
Posted By: jfanent Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/14/21 03:21 AM
I received mine thru work, got my mother in law scheduled easily thru Kroger Pharmacy...she's had her first one already. On the other hand I have a friend in Michigan that's finding it impossible to get her parents scheduled. They are in their late sixties and her father even meets criteria for being medically compromised.

Another thing, if you're getting the Moderna vaccine, you can pretty much count on having moderate to severe side effects after the second vaccine. Just about everyone I know that's gotten it has had them....I'm talking probably 30-40 people.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/14/21 03:25 AM
That’s what I’m hearing from my peers in the industry. Former colleagues. A good portion had side effects. I’m bracing for them. I’ll be at a beach house on the Oregon Coast next weekend. Nothing to do but watch waves and keep a fire burning anyway.
Posted By: jaybird Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/14/21 03:31 AM
beach is my happy place...
Posted By: GMdawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/14/21 01:28 PM
The nurses and Doctors I have talked to agree with you bro. More side effects with moderna than Pfizer.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/14/21 05:05 PM
Originally Posted By: jaybird
beach is my happy place...

It’s not tropical but it’s beautiful.
My girlfriend and my last pup, Samson, at Rockaway Beach a few years back. RIP buddy. You’re missed.

This will be my new pup’s first trip to the beach. Miles of unspoiled, off leash beach to run and play on. Typically barely another person in sight this time of year.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/14/21 06:28 PM
Both parents received theirs last week ... no side effects thus far
Posted By: bluecollarball Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/14/21 11:06 PM
I get my second Moderna shot on the 17th. I'd much rather have the headache, fever and chills I heard a lot of folks had for a day then the chance of complications from Covid.

I know some folks who got the second shot here had zero effects. Some did.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/15/21 12:34 PM
Florida's rollout has been a [censored] show. Between poor website, sites that handed out 2x the number of reservations, all the snowbirds increasing the demand, and confusion on where it was available.

Add in that we are about to roll into spring break season, which should have no effect on vaccines, but does create all kinds of other issues here.

Locals tend to shutter in during the 6 week spring break season, probably more so during covid, can't go anywhere without running into a group of college kids.
Posted By: bonefish Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/15/21 12:47 PM

Got the first moderna shot Feb 2.

Sore arm and small rash near injection about palm size.

Second dose March 1st week.

I went through a county public health site. It was a mess and I lucked out getting into the site to set an appt.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/15/21 02:45 PM
I'm expecting the logjam/cluster to get worse as the age limiter opens up to us young'ins. Honestly, my hope is that I'm vaccinated by 2021 holidays.
Posted By: Squires Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/16/21 03:38 AM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I'm expecting the logjam/cluster to get worse as the age limiter opens up to us young'ins.

Agreed. I'm anticipating 2-3 years before I can get one.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/16/21 04:50 AM
14 million had their 2nd shot
50 million had their 1st shot.

202 million are ahead of the category that has no special qualifications.

the First Shot first vaccine, I think was somewhere around December 16

So we're 2 months in.
If we assume the Johnson and Johnson 1 shot vaccine will become available by first day of Spring March 21st.

If we calculate 25 million shots before March 21,
and 25 million shots / month of the current vaccines requiring 2, (phizer and Moderna) and add, 12.5 million Johnson and Johnson shots per month after April 1st, and calculate for those only requiring 1 shot per person,

At what time frame, would the eligibility for non special category people kick in.

50 million, minus 14 million, 36 million still need their 2nd shot.

202 million beginning, minus 50 million, (152 million), at that point who will still need 2 shots, or 1 per Johnson and Johnson.

I'll go by, (instead of figuring the 2nd unnecessary shot for Johnson and Johnson, as a negative, I'll figure it a 1/3rd of the 202 million necessary, as a (ghost increase) of the available shots, therefore everyone will have a common requirement of 2 shots, just the Johnson and Johnson reciepients receive one of the ghost shots, therefore all the shots are equal)

How conveinant that, 202 x 1/3rd is 66.66 bleh!

152 x two shots, 304 million shots.

So! 152 million starting April 1, going 25 million per month,
+ 12.5 million J and J, +13.3 million ghost shots not required, going by 66.66 / divided by 5 months guessing

We reach 2.99 months. meaning July 1st is the earliest time, the eligibility will reach crazy non government worker regular people.

I don't believe the math will play out, I figured August last week, maybe November today, but math doesn't lie I mean, look ^ I'll believe it when it happens,
July 1st at the earliest. hooray.

Edit: I did it wrong,
4.053333 months, so what is that,
August 1 + a week and a half,
I guess my original estimation was just about right on.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/16/21 11:44 AM
202 million "special" qualifications out of 330 million citizens?

Damn we are an unfit bunch.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/16/21 02:03 PM
I'm expecting the logjam/cluster to get worse as the age limiter opens up to us young'ins. Honestly, my hope is that I'm vaccinated by 2021 holidays.

Things will ramp up as production begins to mass produce.

You don't go from having or giving zero shot to giving 300 million on the drop of a dime. You can plan all you want, but it takes time to implement, then work out kinks in the system.

Soon the supply chain will roll and places like Wal-Mart and CVS will be giving shots in addition to locations set up by local health departments.

Once all of that is in place, it should go fairly quickly. It's still not going to be a overnight deal, but it not going to have near the problems we currently see.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/16/21 03:16 PM
I have no doubt production will ramp up, I'm just not seeing our organization and distribution improving at all. I think that will be the limiter pretty soon.

The X-factor could be the JnJ vaccine.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/16/21 05:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Things will ramp up as production begins to mass produce.

You don't go from having or giving zero shot to giving 300 million on the drop of a dime. You can plan all you want, but it takes time to implement, then work out kinks in the system.

Soon the supply chain will roll and places like Wal-Mart and CVS will be giving shots in addition to locations set up by local health departments.

Once all of that is in place, it should go fairly quickly. It's still not going to be a overnight deal, but it not going to have near the problems we currently see.

That's already happening here. Pretty much any store with a pharmacy is giving out shots, very limited number, but they are giving them out with a appointment.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/16/21 05:40 PM
Good. It's happening
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/16/21 06:04 PM
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan
202 million "special" qualifications out of 330 million citizens?

Damn we are an unfit bunch.

It's been a few weeks since I read that, so I'd be pressed to find the exact site, but there was a phase 1a, 1b, 1c, 1, 1, 1, 1,1, and numbers of people listed, like 40m, 60m 102m or something, but

Some of the qualifiers were only, things like Postal Worker or certain kind of Food Worker, teachers, Nurses, people who wear the right colored ribbons when they are supposed to, people who give enough to poltics parties probably,
all I know, is, they most likely won't allow me in any of those categories, becauase they don't give a rat about the little guy imo.
So it's not 202 million people who all have small pox or something, but it's just 202 million people who are a little more special than the little guy.

What I did wrong in the numbers was divide the required people who need shots by the number of something wrong,... What I should have done was divide the
152 million, needed, by the revised 37.5 million per month, and that's where I get 4.05333 months. (And from April 1st is just a roundabout starting point.)
Posted By: Frenchy Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/16/21 11:52 PM
Being a correction officer I’m eligible to get the vaccine, but I’m waiting for the Johnson one if I get it. I just feel there are too many unknowns yet about them. Many of my coworkers have gotten the 1st shot and have been off work for 3 days or more. Some of have not had any problems.
Posted By: JulesDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/17/21 10:35 PM
I work in healthcare. I’m about a month past my second vaccine. Fatigue and a sore arm were my only symptoms. I received the Pfizer vaccine, which from what I’m seeing, has less side effects than Moderna.

I was so relieved to get the vaccine through the health system I was working with. I would still be waiting for quite some time if that hadn’t been the case. They really need to speed this up for people.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/17/21 10:50 PM
Best news I could have gotten on this front... my mom gets her first shot tomorrow. She’s in a very high risk category. Multiple comorbidities that this crap preys on. Florida’s system has been a crap shoot. My sisters and I have each logged into their system on her behalf multiple times over the past month with no success in even getting her on a call list. We finally broke through that barrier last week. My older sis got her signed up. My mom got the call yesterday. She teared up when she video called me yesterday to let me know. It’s been scary for her. We’re all relieved to know she’s on the path to safety.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/17/21 11:02 PM
On my knees thanking God that your Mom is getting her shot. I will keep praying that everything works out well for her my friend.
Posted By: Squires Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/18/21 02:24 AM
jc

Someone in Colorado made this for Colorado
https://vaccine-finder.nickm.org/

It scans CVS, Walgreens and Safeway for available appointments so people can find appointments from one site. He is still working to improve it, but made an early version available.

Each state should have a centralized site for making appointments.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/18/21 01:24 PM
I don't think I would trust a government site for it, at least not in Florida. Seems the tech team in our state's capital are completely out of touch with the idea of "End User Experience".

Every state site I've had to deal with is either
a web off non-related clicks to find what you need, only to be kicked out during the final processes due to errors.

I've heard rom my neighbors that the Publix supermarket site works well for vaccine reservations, but it opens at 7am each day and is full within 10-15 minutes.

Posted By: bluecollarball Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/18/21 06:35 PM
If anyone is keeping score, I had my second Moderna shot=really sore arm and a little tired. That's all. My coworker got it and Friday and she had a 102 fever the next day. One other stayed home the day after with a headache and the other is like me. Sore arm. Three of us got it Tuesday. The one last Friday.

A couple days of discomfort is nothing compared to a couple of weeks of can't breathe.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/18/21 06:38 PM
Thanks. I get my second Moderna tomorrow. I’m hoping to be one of those without any side effects besides a sore arm.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/18/21 06:45 PM
My mother in law just turned 83 and she had no side effects from the Moderna vaccine shots. I know it varies somewhat from person to person.
Posted By: jfanent Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/19/21 12:30 AM
I don't know if it's been mentioned here, but younger people are having worse side effects than older folks. Supposedly due to stronger immune responses to the vaccine.
Posted By: columbusdawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/19/21 12:52 PM
My mom and dad got their second one yesterday. My dad said he felt a little bad, my mom got the chills real bad and felt somewhat flu like. My dad had COVID but my mom never got it.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/19/21 07:11 PM
J/C

My wife (36) got her second dose yesterday. She was fine yesterday, but had trouble sleeping. Arm was super sore and she is sore all over. Kind of fatigued today and not doing a whole lot. She's petite and generally anemic, but I don't know if that has any effect on things.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/19/21 08:42 PM
Just got my second dose. Still waiting in the observation line.
I have one patient left to see them I’m off to the coast for the weekend.... though I’ll have to do my charting when I get there.
Hopefully I have a side effect free weekend. It’ll be a much needed rest either way.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/20/21 01:15 AM
Why does a lot of people have sore arms?
Posted By: JulesDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/20/21 01:31 AM
The vaccines trigger an immune response to the virus, that’s a good thing. Soreness at the injection site would, of course, be one of the most common side effects, just as it is with the regular flu shot.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/20/21 11:52 AM
Well the side effects from my second vaccine mirror my first one thus far. Sore arm and insomnia. It’s 3;50am and I’ve maybe slept two hours tonight if I’m lucky. I took an Ambien the night after my first vaccine. I didn’t bring it with me on my trip. So I’ve just been biding my time until the sun comes up.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/20/21 12:02 PM
Hope you sleep better tonight bro.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/20/21 06:05 PM
Well I feel pretty good this morning. No real side effects. I had a headache when I got out of bed. Took a small dose of ibuprofen and feel fine. My arm is less sore than with the first injection. Hopefully the insomnia is just a one night thing.

In other news the beach is beautiful today. Warm and sunny. Charlie’s first trip. He loves the sand and surf.

Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/21/21 01:46 AM
Charlie is a happy boy there. thumbsup
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/21/21 11:48 PM
Full post vaccine report.

Got the second Moderna shot on Friday, noon. I made the 2 hour drive to the coast, 2pm-4pm. When I arrived I took a nap. No, I NEEDED a nap. I’m not a napper. Rested in bed for two hours but never was able to fall asleep.
Friday day turned into Friday night. A sore arm and a sleepless night. Much like after my first dose.
Saturday I felt pretty good. I woke up with a headache but a small dose of ibuprofen took care of that. Ran the dog(s) on the beach. Visited, on the beach, with my friends (and their dog) that rented the beach house next to ours.
Around 6pm I got a chill. I didn’t have a thermometer but my guess is I was running a low grade temp. I turned up the heat in the house and hit the couch. Didn’t have much of an appetite the rest of the evening. I slept well last night.
This morning I was back to feeling my normal self.

Totally worth it for the protection it provides.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/24/21 01:35 AM
Posted By: sk8termom Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/28/21 12:00 AM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Absolutely amazing.
Posted By: sk8termom Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/28/21 12:02 AM
I got my first Moderna Covid-19 vaccine a few hours ago. Have a sore arm, a bit light-headed and achy, also have a bit of a headache. Nothing serious. I'm scheduled to do the second one in 4 weeks. I hear that the second one has worse side effects than the first. I hope not.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/28/21 01:35 AM
F.D.A. clears the Johnson & Johnson covid shot. When it becomes available I will get that one since it is only one shot:

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus...ovid-19-vaccine

Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 02/28/21 12:12 PM
Wish it had been available earlier, but in the end, I don't think this is a one and done deal. We will be getting them every year in all probability.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/01/21 06:03 PM
I'm happy the JnJ vaccine is available. I think that one will fill a critical short-term need.

In other news, I actually just got the first round of the vaccine. I work for a med device company, and the company's employees were able to be designated essential'ish (basically, leftover/surplus vaccine doses can be put into our arms after the for-real essential folks get first crack at it).

While I was hesitant to have something injected into my body that hasn't yet gone through the full approval process, in the end I decided the benefits probably outweighed the risks and I didn't want to miss getting an appointment. Also, (since we all expect these vaccines to be fully approved once the data is accumulated and analyzed) I'm kinda happy to be a (small) step towards herd immunity.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/01/21 06:30 PM
Which did you get, Pfizer or Moderna?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/01/21 07:29 PM
Pfizer
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/03/21 08:36 AM
Posted By: oobernoober Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/03/21 03:51 PM
I felt a little drowsy right after the shot (but this also could've been my normal post-lunch drowsiness), and my arm started getting a little sore. I still had a hockey game and played that night.

Arm was pretty sore the next day (had a hockey game again and played, so nothing bad at all... even took a couple shots off that arm/shoulder and it wasn't all that bad).

I still (almost 48 hours later) have the imprint of the band-aid on my arm, though... which is weird.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/04/21 12:56 AM
My work will be offering the J&J shot in about two weeks. I’m about 80/20 in favor of getting it. Wife and daughter want me too get it, I probably will.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/04/21 10:36 AM
My wife and I get a Pizer shot tomorrow.

I have been eligible for a while now but decided to wait until she was eligible so we could schedule the thing together.

It put me off about 3 weeks. I figured I have made it this long, a few more weeks wasn't going to hurt anything.
Posted By: sk8termom Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/04/21 11:44 PM
I was able to get my husband an appointment at Rite-Aid in Warren today. He also got the Moderna vaccine. No side effects.
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/05/21 12:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Frenchy
My work will be offering the J&J shot in about two weeks. I’m about 80/20 in favor of getting it. Wife and daughter want me too get it, I probably will.

The new data on J&J looks increasingly very good -- efficacy over 80% after 3-4 weeks, and almost total protection against severe cases.

Should definitely get it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/how-effective-johnson-johnson-vaccine-what-know-n1259652

Quote:

When researchers looked specifically at the vaccine's protection against the most severe forms of illness, effectiveness shot up to 86 percent.

And it prevented 100 percent of hospitalizations and deaths related to Covid-19. No one who got the Johnson & Johnson shot was hospitalized or died of Covid-19 during the study's follow-up period of 28 days after vaccination.

What's more, the Johnson & Johnson vaccine's effectiveness against severe disease was found to increase over time — to more than 90 percent within a month and a half after vaccination.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/08/21 04:25 PM
Scheduled for my first dose on 3-16-01. Hillcrest Hospital, Mayfield OH.

Somewhat leary......
Posted By: jfanent Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/08/21 04:43 PM
Don't be. I know quite a few people who have received the shots and not one has had any long term effects. Tylenol and Motrin help greatly for the brief time you may feel adverse symptoms. Just don't take Motrin before the injection.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/08/21 05:00 PM
TTT... if you would, please come back and tell us which vaccine you received, along with a report on any side effects.
Through open conversation and real life reporting, we can hopefully calm other’s fears and inhibitions towards receiving the vaccine.

You can read my full post vaccine report in this, or one of the other COVID related threads on the board.
A quick update. My mom, 74 years old, received her first Moderna vaccine recently. No side effects other than a sore shoulder. She gets her next jab on the 19th. She’s a little nervous after hearing other’s reports, including mine, about the common side effects from the second Moderna jab. I hopefully brought some calm to her by reporting my findings related to fewer adverse side effects are being noted in older, 65+, recipients. The body typically doesn’t (is unable to) mount such a big immune response at those ages.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/08/21 05:44 PM
I have a question...

Do you 'want' a large immune response? Is your body's response an indication as to how effective the vaccine will be for you?
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/08/21 05:50 PM
On some level the immune response, side effects, is indicative of the vaccine ‘taking effect’. That doesn’t mean that those that didn’t have side effects are any less protected. Different people respond differently. Anecdotally I’ve never had a reaction to a flu vaccine. Some of my coworkers get laid out by them.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/08/21 07:33 PM
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Don't be. I know quite a few people who have received the shots and not one has had any long term effects. Tylenol and Motrin help greatly for the brief time you may feel adverse symptoms. Just don't take Motrin before the injection.

Tks jfan.

Just a little leary. Some things you'll never forget. Like I posted in another thread.....sitting in Richmond Heights Emerg waiting room in 1976 with my grandmother listening to them work 12'-15' away on my grandfather....., repeatedly yelling, "HANG IN THERE Mr. P, HANG IN THERE, HANG IN THERE.......then SILENCE. 3-4 doctors walked outta the room. One towards us.

Dead. Pulmonary Adela. Lungs filled up with fluid

He received the Swine Flu shot/vaccine that morning. They attributed it to a possible reaction to the shot/vaccine.

Some things you can never forget.

Thinking about tightening up a visit to the local church pastor before vaccine D-day. rofl
Posted By: Milk Man Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/08/21 07:49 PM
j/c...

Posted By: archbolddawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/08/21 08:01 PM
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
TTT... if you would, please come back and tell us which vaccine you received, along with a report on any side effects.
Through open conversation and real life reporting, we can hopefully calm other’s fears and inhibitions towards receiving the vaccine.

As to this: ^^^

My parents are 79. They both had covid in late October, lasting close to 3 weeks, including 3 different trips to the e.r. between the 2 of them.

They recently got the second dose of vaccine - I do not know which one, though - and neither of them had any issues to speak of - other than a little tenderness at the injection site, which is normal for ANY shot, really.

A nurse friend had the vaccine, and was sick as a dog for a good 24 hours - puking, feeling miserable. Her husband took her to the e.r. as well. Now, she also has some other health issues, so, as she said, "I don't know if it was related to the vaccine or not....."

Son had both vaccine shots, and again, I don't know which product - but the first was no problem. After the second, he had chills,and body aches for about 10 hours or so.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/08/21 08:25 PM

As I said, we both got our 1st dose last Friday morning. Pfizer.

She complained about a stiff shoulder more than I experienced. For me, I hardly felt anything the next day.

I did work my shoulder more than she did after the shot. I always rotate my shoulder and pump my arm for a good while after getting a shot. I also massage the area well for a good while. Good while means maybe a few minutes at a time over 20-30 minutes or so.

I may be full of crap, but I believe it helps prevent the medication from settling in the injection site and helps disperse it in to the system.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Posted By: TTTDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/08/21 08:27 PM

You can read my full post vaccine report in this, or one of the other COVID related threads on the board.
A quick update. My mom, 74 years old, received her first Moderna vaccine recently. No side effects other than a sore shoulder. She gets her next jab on the 19th. She’s a little nervous after hearing other’s reports, including mine, about the common side effects from the second Moderna jab. I hopefully brought some calm to her by reporting my findings related to fewer adverse side effects are being noted in older, 65+, recipients. The body typically doesn’t (is unable to) mount such a big immune response at those ages.

My wife and daughter(both RNs w/the Cleveland Clinic) both said I'll most prob receive Pfizer.

I'll def give the "blow by blow" report.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/09/21 02:12 AM
First Pfizer shot two Saturdays ago. Super sore arm and fatigue for about 3 to 4 days. Not fatigue like you just got done playing 5 games of full court basketball. Fatigue like you just want to lie down and close your eyes. Of which I didn't do. Pushed through it and still went to work.

Second shot is scheduled for last week of March.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/09/21 05:10 AM
First one scheduled for tomorrow at Noon. The second one is set for April 6th.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/09/21 06:31 PM
J/C - Does anyone know if there is a vaccine rollout expected in Ohio for the "everyone else" category? I know that right now we're getting into the 50+/Type 2 Diabetes group. Didn't know if there was a plan for the normal Joe Schmoe's like me.

And before you say it, yeah, I know I'm not normal tongue
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/09/21 07:35 PM
My girlfriend’s sister got the J&J vaccine yesterday. She’s feeling it today. Fever, chills, body aches, headache... I just reminded her it’s better than catching COVID.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/09/21 09:15 PM
I am in this same category in California. I am on a few wait lists. I would call around to some places you know have the vaccine and ask if they have any leftovers.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/09/21 10:54 PM
My girlfriend’s sister got the J&J vaccine yesterday. She’s feeling it today. Fever, chills, body aches, headache... I just reminded her it’s better than catching COVID.

Im getting the J&J shot tonight at work, actually around 4:30am tomorrow morning. Just hope to make it til 6:30 and get home before any symptoms may set it in. Luckily if I have some symptoms and can’t make it to work I can get a day or two off because of getting the shot, paid.
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/09/21 11:51 PM
I got the first Moderna last Wednesday, I called off work Thursday. Sore arm, headache and tired.

I get the 2nd one 03-31. I plan to call off 04-01.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/10/21 03:59 PM
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
J/C - Does anyone know if there is a vaccine rollout expected in Ohio for the "everyone else" category? I know that right now we're getting into the 50+/Type 2 Diabetes group. Didn't know if there was a plan for the normal Joe Schmoe's like me.

As long as we get ours, who really cares about you?

LOL....that is a good question. I don't live in Ohio, and I couldn't tell you about the state of Tennessee.

I do see that supply has finally reached a saturation point, meaning the drug companies aren't having any difficulty with meeting demand.

My feeling is the age group in the 50's were the youngest of the seriously at risk groups. Once they begin to see appointment levels dropping in that age group, open it up to any on appointment.

If I had to guess, maybe come June or July, and at that point it may be to the point you can schedule with your primary care. At some point it should be as easy as getting a flu shot.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/10/21 04:02 PM
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg
I got the first Moderna last Wednesday, I called off work Thursday. Sore arm, headache and tired.

So you are planning to go fishing on 4-1, are ya!
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/10/21 04:10 PM

LOL....that is a good question. I don't live in Ohio, and I couldn't tell you about the state of Tennessee.

I do see that supply has finally reached a saturation point, meaning the drug companies aren't having any difficulty with meeting demand.

My feeling is the age group in the 50's were the youngest of the seriously at risk groups. Once they begin to see appointment levels dropping in that age group, open it up to any on appointment.

If I had to guess, maybe come June or July, and at that point it may be to the point you can schedule with your primary care. At some point it should be as easy as getting a flu shot.

Ha! That would be nice. I guess now it's all about the post-manufacture logistics.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/10/21 04:25 PM
I'll be getting my shot next week.
Posted By: jfanent Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/10/21 04:40 PM
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg

That's probably a good idea.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/10/21 04:47 PM

Ha! That would be nice. I guess now it's all about the post-manufacture logistics.

I think so. As the supply has grown, more avenues to receiving the shot have opened.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/10/21 05:41 PM

I think so. As the supply has grown, more avenues to receiving the shot have opened.
JnJ is/will be a gamechanger in this regard.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/10/21 09:01 PM
You're probably within a 10 minute drive of me. Any plans in your direction?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/10/21 09:30 PM
What do you mean?

I assume you're asking about getting back to "normal"....

My wife and I have been relatively "good" regarding sticking to COVID protocols. Admittedly, this has more to do with her than I... but who's keeping score? (she is...)

We've been planning a vacation since forever ago (i.e. right before 'rona) with her sister and husband, and despite the uncertainty we kept the reservation. Now we're patting ourselves on the back because things are lining up well for us to actually enjoy that vacation without having to accept additional risk (my wife and I will be vaccinated, they should be but they've also been fairly strict in terms of masking,distancing). It also seems like as vaccines roll out, people are looking to take those vacations they put off.

We were never super-social people to begin with... but we are talking about starting up the dinners-date-night thing again once I'm officially vaccinated (3 more weeks until 2nd jab and then 2 weeks after that). We're also eventually going to resume our weekend trips up to Cleveland to see our respective families... but with my family being more, shall we say, care-free during the pandemic it'll take a little while longer.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/11/21 12:16 AM
Got the J&J shot this morning, no symptoms, good to go for work tonight.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/11/21 12:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Frenchy
Got the J&J shot this morning, no symptoms, good to go for work tonight.

Well got to work last night and the symptoms hit me pretty hard, severe fatigue, body aches all over, and a headache all night. Hope after a good day of sleep they will go away, if not a covid shot sick tonight.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/11/21 12:12 PM
Quote:
JnJ is/will be a gamechanger in this regard.

It will. It will double the speed at which people are fully vaccinated.
Posted By: jfanent Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/11/21 12:14 PM
My symptoms from the Moderna #2 didn't hit until very late at night after receiving it in the morning. Take some Tylenol or Motrin. It shouldn't last long.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/11/21 03:45 PM
Sorry, I meant any plans on getting the vaccine, but it seems like you already got the first dose.

I was contemplating just seeing if I could get on a wait list somewhere for no-shows.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/11/21 04:03 PM
Got my first shot today. Moderna.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/11/21 04:05 PM
Lol... but I'm sure you were still interested in reading about my social life coming out of hibernation.... :-p

Yeah, company I work for was able to get us categorized as 'essential-ish', I guess. I don't understand how/why this happened, but I decided I'm just not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. If nothing else, I won't have to be part of the mad rush when they open up the vaccine to the majority of the eligible population.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/11/21 04:48 PM
I did actually. This past year has been hard for a heavy extrovert like me, so I like to live vicariously. smile

That's good about your company. I work as a civilian for the USAF, but the base is pretty much following along with Ohio. The only people deemed essential there are the ones who have to show up on site every day (SCIF, air crew, etc.).

Any chance your company wants has an open position for a 30 day length of employment where I would have no duties, but also not get paid?
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/11/21 05:02 PM
What can I expect after my 2nd shot in 4 weeks?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/11/21 05:04 PM
If the first few months of my time here are any indication... yes, but you would get paid. :-p
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/11/21 05:13 PM
I got Pfizer #1 today. I’ll update tomorrow.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/11/21 05:49 PM
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/11/pfizer-c...fizer%20vaccine

Study in Israel indicates that the Pfizer vaccine is pretty good at preventing transmission.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/11/21 06:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog

Go back in this thread and read my account of my post jab #2. It’s wasn’t the best weekend but it was not that bad. I’ve certainly felt worse/been sicker in my life.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/11/21 06:38 PM
Are you sure those 12 shots of whiskey didn't have any effect your results wink
Posted By: Pdawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/11/21 08:18 PM

8 of the 9 people in my extended family got the Pfizer with no side effects. My 95 year old aunt was the only one not to get the Pfizer and she also had no issues.
Posted By: jfanent Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/11/21 09:35 PM

If you're like most folks, about a days worth of aches,chills and fatigue hitting you 12-24hrs after getting it. It varies quite a bit in severity.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/12/21 04:05 AM
I thank all that responded to me. The side effects of the shot are better than contracting the virus. Lesser of 2 evils so to speak.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/12/21 05:55 PM
j/c...

For anyone from Michigan. Also, DeWine mentions he anticipated restrictions/mandates being lifted in 7-8 weeks...

Posted By: TTTDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/16/21 02:58 PM

Got home 30 mins ago. 1hr into my 1st shot(Phizer) I feel nothin. No aches, no pains, etc.

Perhaps a bit lightheaded.

On the proverbial 1-10 lightheaded scale? Prob about a 1 to a 1.5.

2nd shot scheduled in a few.

The Cleveland Clinic bought out a car dealership across the street from Hillcrest Hospital and gutted it. That's where I received it. Very organized.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/16/21 03:10 PM
I get COVID tested for work regularly. Yesterday I had my first test since my second vaccine. Negative for COVID, and my blood shows a strong antibody load. So I know my vaccine ‘took’. Good to know.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/16/21 03:51 PM
Good news Portland. If you don't mind me asking what vaccine did you get?
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/16/21 03:56 PM
The Moderna.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/16/21 03:57 PM
That's the one I got last Thursday. I'm getting the 2nd one in 3 weeks.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/16/21 04:20 PM
My son is 24, works in restaurant management so he is in the phase to get vaccinated now.

He made the appointment at Walgreens, showed up, they made him fill out some paperwork. The last question was, "Why do you need the vaccine?" He told them but they essentially took his word for it. They didn't require any employment verification or anything.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/16/21 04:51 PM
I had the opposite experience. The place where I got my shot ran a tight ship. There was a line at the door to get to the line to check in, and they wouldn't let people in the building if you were more than 10 minutes early for your appointment.

Checked my company ID against my driver's license twice (at the door and at check-in). I was sweating a little bit because, even though I followed what our HR rep told us to a 'T', I still had some lingering doubt as to why I was able to receive the vaccine early.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/16/21 06:32 PM
j/c...

Ohio to be 16 and over on March 29th. 40 and over March 19th.

Posted By: oobernoober Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/16/21 06:56 PM
We're going to find out soon if we've sorted through our supply and logistics issues.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/16/21 07:33 PM
Got my first dose today at 2pm at one of the local krogers. I got the Pfizer shot and 2nd dose set for the 6th. Nothing so far as side effects. Like TTT said, a little lightheadedness but that could be because I skipped lunch beforehand.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/16/21 07:36 PM
Good job you old fart.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/16/21 09:51 PM
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Got my first dose today at 2pm at one of the local krogers. I got the Pfizer shot and 2nd dose set for the 6th. Nothing so far as side effects. Like TTT said, a little lightheadedness but that could be because I skipped lunch beforehand.

I went straight to the appt.....no breakfast/food for a while as well/since last night.

Now, still no real side affects. Mood is perhaps a little "woebegone".

Then again it could be because still no food today. I generally never eat till 5:30/6pm

8ish hrs later.....still a touch of woebegone.

Pfizer here as well, and like you, 2nd shot on the 6th.

Same Bat Time, Same Bat Channel. thumbsup
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/16/21 11:05 PM
I like that your 2nd appointments are set. Here we have to schedule our own.

I can go on or after the 26th, but that date hasn't opened as of yet.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/17/21 03:38 PM
j/c

Received my first dose of the Moderna vaccine yesterday afternoon. No real side effects to speak of. Slight soreness in my arm but very minor.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/17/21 04:06 PM
J/C

I received the Johnson and Johnson yesterday (it is the one dose vaccine) .. I felt completely fine all evening.

Then I woke up around midnight INCREDIBLY sick. Chills, aches, headache ... perhaps the most sick I’ve ever felt in my life. If that’s what Covid feels like, even in a small scale, it’s debilitating for those who get a bad case.

I feel about “half” better this afternoon, but still really sore and have a headache. Not a great experience.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/17/21 04:31 PM
Same with me. I had my 1st shot last Thursday. I'm going for the 2nd Moderna in 3 weeks.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/17/21 06:15 PM
I will say that I did have trouble sleeping. I think it was Portland who also had that side effect. Trouble going to sleep and waking up often during the night. Once I was awake I had trouble going back to sleep.

I can't say for sure it was related to the vaccine but it's certainly abnormal for me.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/18/21 04:32 PM
Two mouthwashes disrupt COVID-19 virus under laboratory conditions

Reviewed by Emily Henderson, B.Sc.Mar 17 2021

Researchers at Rutgers School of Dental Medicine have found evidence that two types of mouthwash disrupt the COVID-19 virus under laboratory conditions, preventing it from replicating in a human cell.

The study, published in the journal Pathogens, found that Listerine and the prescription mouthwash Chlorhexidine disrupted the virus within seconds after being diluted to concentrations that would mimic actual use. Further studies are needed to test real-life efficacy in humans.

The study was conducted in a lab using concentrations of the mouthwash and the time it would take to contact tissues to replicate conditions found in the mouth, said Daniel H. Fine, the paper's senior author and chair of the school's Department of Oral Biology.

The study found two other mouthwashes showed promise in potentially providing some protection in preventing viral transmission: Betadine, which contains povidone iodine, and Peroxal, which contains hydrogen peroxide. However, only Listerine and Chlorhexidine disrupted the virus with little impact on skin cells inside the mouth that provide a protective barrier against the virus.

Both Povidone iodine and Peroxal caused significant skin cell death in our studies, while both Listerine and Chlorhexidine had minimal skin cell killing at concentrations that simulated what would be found in daily use."

The team studied the efficacy of mouthwash potential for preventing viral transmission to better understand how dental providers can be protected from aerosols exhaled by patients. "As dentists, we're right there in a patient's face. We wanted to know if there's something that might lower the viral load,'' said coauthor Eileen Hoskin, an assistant professor at Rutgers School of Dental Medicine.

Fine cautions the public against relying on mouthwash as a way to slow the spread until it is proven in clinical trials on humans.

The effect of short-term exposure to mouth rinses on the viability of HeLa-hACE2 and oral epithelial cells. Human angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (hACE2)-expressing HeLa cells (A) and oral epithelial TR146 cells (B) were treated for 20 s with different dilutions (v/v) of products including Listerine, chlorhexidine gluconate (CHG), Colgate Peroxyl, or povidone-iodine. Cells were washed and cultured with fresh medium immediately. Cell viability was determined by the 3-(4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-5-(3-carboxymethoxyphenyl)-2-(4-sulfophenyl)-2H-tetrazolium, inner salt (MTS)-based CellTiter 96 AQueous One Solution Cell Proliferation Assay. Data are means ±SD of three samples. The significance of differences between mouth rinse-treated cells and mocked-treated controls was compared; * p < 0.05.
The effect of short-term exposure to mouth rinses on the viability of HeLa-hACE2 and oral epithelial cells. Human angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (hACE2)-expressing HeLa cells (A) and oral epithelial TR146 cells (B) were treated for 20 s with different dilutions (v/v) of products including Listerine, chlorhexidine gluconate (CHG), Colgate Peroxyl, or povidone-iodine. Cells were washed and cultured with fresh medium immediately. Cell viability was determined by the 3-(4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-5-(3-carboxymethoxyphenyl)-2-(4-sulfophenyl)-2H-tetrazolium, inner salt (MTS)-based CellTiter 96 AQueous One Solution Cell Proliferation Assay. Data are means ±SD of three samples. The significance of differences between mouth rinse-treated cells and mocked-treated controls was compared; * p < 0.05.

"The ultimate goal would be to determine whether rinsing two or three times a day with an antiseptic agent with active anti-viral activity would have the potential to reduce the ability to transmit the disease. But this needs to be investigated in a real-world situation,'' he said.

Previous research has shown various types of antiseptic mouthwashes can disrupt the novel coronavirus and temporarily prevent transmission, but this was one of the first studies that examined antiseptic rinse concentrations, time of contact and the skin-cell killing properties that simulated oral conditions. The study was conducted by a team of dental school scientists and virologist at the Public Health Research Institute.

"Since the SARS CoV-2 virus responsible for COVID-19 enters primarily through the oral and nasal cavity, oral biologists should be included in these studies because they have an in-depth understanding of oral infectious diseases," said Fine.

https://www.newsbreakapp.com/n/0YwtU8UN?...CA&hl=en_US
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/18/21 05:19 PM
I went to the dentist for a cleaning two weeks ago. They made me rinse with a peroxide solution before they started working on me for this exact reason.
The entire experience was weirdly surreal... as compared to our ‘new norm’. It was the first time in a year I’ve taken my mask off in an enclosed/indoor space, other than my own home. I won’t lie it was a strange feeling. Though I’m vaccinated and they had a ton of safety measures in place it still felt a little unsettling. It was a similar gut feeling I got after swimming with sharks in the Keys. I was glad to have done it, but I was glad when it was over. Lol
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/18/21 07:02 PM
Got my 2nd Pfizer this morning. We'll see...

My wife got her 2nd shot of Moderna two weeks ago around 10am on a Friday morning and her side affects started around midnight. She was a zombie until Saturday night. She took 8 naps, had trouble moving around and had a terrible headache. I made her a cheeseburger for lunch, but she only ate half. She was "back to normal" mid-day Sunday.

I think we're planning on hosting a birthday part for me in mid-to-late April with family that have been vaccinated, but damn, that's going to feel weird. I am/was a high risk person, so we were shut off for most of the year. We still went to the dentist and visited family outdoors, but we haven't been in someone's house since Feb 2020. Hoping this will help.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/19/21 04:14 AM
Viruses are easy to kill with any disinfectant. That is why there is so much chatter about hand washing.

Good to know that mouthwash does the trick. A shot of your favorite liquor would probably do the trick as well..
Posted By: oobernoober Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/19/21 12:34 PM
NOW we're talking! Dentists after the patient downs their shot, "Why didn't we think of this before!?"
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/19/21 05:35 PM
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/19/21 10:28 PM
So, I am now eligible.

No appointments available.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/20/21 03:13 AM
Try all the store pharmacies... I just got my first dose Tuesday at kroger after only waiting 4 days and have received calls from the health department, Walmart, and Meijer since. They were all waiting on vaccines so I put myself on all the lists.
Posted By: jfanent Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/20/21 04:30 AM
I agree with this. I've been making appointments for a lot of people at pharmacies and the designated hospitals. Most have no appointments available. It seems like one place will get a supply and a bunch of appointments suddenly appear....and then quickly fill up. Lucas county has a list of all the available places available, other counties did not and I had to check some of the places individually. The major pharmacies will let you check all of the locations in the area at once. You just have to check often. I got my neighbor an appointment at a local hospital, my wife, brother and sister in law all at the same Kroger location. Once you find an available appointment, don't hesitate. Twice I've had an appointment taken while I was signing up.
Posted By: ~Con~Artist~ Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/20/21 02:57 PM
Well I officially joined team Pfizer today. Crazy to think it took so long to get my dad an appointment who meets all the criteria (age and severe risk), and then I get it two weeks later and don't meet the criteria, other than maybe having had COVID qualified me? I'm leaning more towards the fact that they had some empty slots that needed to be filled. All I know is that I put all of my honest info into the county database two months ago and they reached out to me on Thursday that I qualified but could only schedule on Friday or Saturday.

We will see what kind of reaction I get. According to what I've read, those that have already had COVID had a more severe reaction on the first shot.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/21/21 11:18 AM
Neither my wife or I had any real problems with the Phizer shot. She complained of a sore arm, which I never really had other than more or less normal.

I could only get 1 appointment for the 2nd dose, so she got her's Friday and has had no problems. I have mine scheduled for this Friday.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/21/21 02:10 PM
Going to go get shot in the arm in a little while.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/21/21 05:43 PM
Well, I am officially vaccinated.

Got the J&J single dose.
Posted By: ~Con~Artist~ Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/21/21 09:10 PM
So I woke up in the middle of the night feeling really nauseous, but it passed pretty quickly. Other than that, a very minor headache and a sore arm. I was expecting far worse. No problem sleeping except for the one wake up.

My wife got her Pfizer shot today, and I think my mom is getting the Pfizer shot tomorrow. My brother is next week at which point my entire immediate family will be vaccinated except for the kids! Only my brothers wife had gotten both shots so far. &#128512;
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/21/21 11:50 PM
I had my first Pfizer shot Wednesday. My arm was a little sore but no more than if I bumped into a shelf or something.

My wife got her second Minerva shot Thursday and she felt terrible for 2 days. She is adrenal insufficient due to Cushings and having her adrenal glands wee removed. IT kicked her down for two days and she had to stress dose on cortisol & other hormones to help her over it. One night she couldn't sleep the next night she slept 10 hours.

I doubt others will have that extreme reaction but her butt was kicked pretty good for 2 days.
Posted By: KashDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/22/21 11:33 PM
I am scheduled for my first shot of Pfizer on Sunday (3/28) Ford Field here in Detroit has been converted to a vaccination center so they are doing 6,000+ vaccinations a day starting on Saturday the 27th. I signed up for it the minute we could and am excited to get in so quickly.

I will find a way to leave some Browns stickers or something in inconspicuous places!! LOL
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/23/21 12:14 AM
I’m happy to hear all your stories. Thanks to everyone for doing their part. We get through this together. Stay smart post vaccination. As much as it feels like we’re past this already, we’re not. I’m expecting another surge post spring break. Hopefully after that wave we can have a summer that doesn’t completely suck. Lol
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/23/21 01:54 AM
Pfizer on Wednesday. My wife found an appointment.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/23/21 02:28 AM
Outside of a little bit of soreness, I haven't really noticed any major side effects from the single dose Johnson & Johnson shot.

Sure, my arm fell off ..... but other than that .... it's all good. rofl
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/23/21 10:15 AM
hey, arms are overrated, right?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/23/21 12:50 PM
I've got Pfizer round 2 on Monday. I also have a hockey game that night, so I'm a little worried I'm going to have to find an emergency sub (I'm the goalie, so if I bail w/o getting someone to play for me there's no game). I just hope that if this thing knocks me on my butt it waits a couple hours until I'm home.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/23/21 12:56 PM
No special side effects from my 2nd Pfizer last week. Well, same sore arm and I thought I was feeling a bit achy, but then feel asleep and woke up "fine" (what passes as "fine" for me in the morning).

Good info here in case anyone is wondering about the side effects and if they didn't get any...

Cleveland Clinic - If You Don’t Get Sick... Isn’t Working? (If You Don’t Get Sick After Your COVID-19 Vaccination, Does It Mean Your Immune System Isn’t Working?)

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/24/21 04:53 PM
j/c

So just an update on me and my wife's vaccines. Tennessee is rated near the bottom on the roll out of the vaccine. So I expected some glitches.

As I posted earlier, I received my first vaccine on 3/13. However, it was what CVS called a "leftover dose" because my name was on their list. Now one would think that since I received the first vaccine through CVS they would have scheduled my second dose. Not so. They told me since it was a leftover dose they could not guarantee my second dose.

After much time researching it, the only vaccine available through my country currently is the Pfizer vaccine. I received the Moderna. Finally I was able to schedule my second dose in a neighboring county at a location that is 60 miles. So it took some work but I will receive my second dose on April 16th.

My wife finally qualified for the latest stage that opened up as of Monday. While the waiting list is long she will receive her first dose of the Pfizer vaccine on April 16th.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/24/21 05:54 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
j/c

So just an update on me and my wife's vaccines. Tennessee is rated near the bottom on the roll out of the vaccine. So I expected some glitches.

As I posted earlier, I received my first vaccine on 3/13. However, it was what CVS called a "leftover dose" because my name was on their list. Now one would think that since I received the first vaccine through CVS they would have scheduled my second dose. Not so. They told me since it was a leftover dose they could not guarantee my second dose.

After much time researching it, the only vaccine available through my country currently is the Pfizer vaccine. I received the Moderna. Finally I was able to schedule my second dose in a neighboring county at a location that is 60 miles. So it took some work but I will receive my second dose on April 16th.

My wife finally qualified for the latest stage that opened up as of Monday. While the waiting list is long she will receive her first dose of the Pfizer vaccine on April 16th.

Glad you got it squared away. These types of stories are heard too often. It should be mandated that if a place gives you a first jab they need to schedule a second. Period.
My GF dealt with a similar situation. She struggled to find a second dose. She ended up with one but it was a few days later than recommended. It took a lot of searching and was stressful for the three weeks she frantically searched. People shouldn’t be put in these types of situations.
Posted By: jfanent Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/24/21 06:20 PM
That just, well, sucks. No one receiving a first dose should receive it in lieu of someone due for their second.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/24/21 07:58 PM
I got my shot today... smile Pfizer
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/24/21 09:37 PM
That just, well, sucks. No one receiving a first dose should receive it in lieu of someone due for their second.

Our process has been seamless.
Posted By: jfanent Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/24/21 09:53 PM

...and you're in the same state as Pit. Things are kind of like that here too. Even though we have the directives coming from the governor, each county seems to be managing the vaccine administrations differently.
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/24/21 10:34 PM
My son in law & daughter live in a Seattle suburb. He has a very serious case of Cystic Fibrosis and just now got scheduled for the shot. They have pretty much been "locked in" their apartment since last February because he is very careful.

They tell me the State of Washington has been very slow at getting their vaccines to those who need it.
Posted By: columbusdawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/25/21 12:06 AM
My wife and I got our first one today, Pfizer.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/25/21 01:58 AM
2nd shot coming on the 6th then on 4/20 I'll be able to hug the grandkids again safely. We are used to living with just the two of us most of the time, but not being able to have the grandkids come around has sucked. As far as going out or being in crowds again... don't really miss it that much.
Posted By: jfanent Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/25/21 02:16 AM
Quote:
then on 4/20 I'll be able to hug the grandkids again safely.

...and fire up bowl of the good stuff! cool
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/25/21 01:24 PM

The same goes for my mother in law who lives in a very rural town pretty much in the middle of nowhere. I'm just glad we got it sorted out. It seems to be, as was mentioned, left up to the counties. Some it appears have handled it better than others.

I'm glad it went smoothly for you and yours Peen.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/25/21 05:59 PM
Just got my first one at 11:15 today. Pfizer. Arm is pretty sore. That's about it.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/25/21 06:12 PM
Just got my first one at 11:15 today. Pfizer. Arm is pretty sore. That's about it.

In the arm? You aren't supposed to take it there.

Whatever you do, be perfectly clear you want the 2nd in the butt.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/25/21 06:19 PM

Didn't you mean "on the butt"!?

saywhat
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/25/21 06:32 PM
rofl

Considering there were 15 stations of people all receiving the vaccine, that could get pretty interesting pretty quick.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/25/21 09:44 PM

In the arm? You aren't supposed to take it there.

I asked if they want to make it interesting and do my shot in the neck or ankle. "Let's see what happens."

They laughed but insisted on the upper arm. I said, "booooooring."
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/26/21 11:53 AM
I might steal that. I am getting my 2nd later this morning.rofl
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/27/21 07:55 PM
Got the 2nd shot yesterday.

I had a bit of swelling in my shoulder yesterday, but back to normal today. A bit of tenderness in shoulder...maybe a 2 out of 10...hardly noticeable.

I am tired this afternoon with some stiffness in my back, but I upped my mileage to 5 miles walking this morning from the 3 I have been doing the last couple of months, so it is hard to tell, though I think it might be more of a hangover from the shot. I usually just take off walking on Fridays or to use as a make-up day. I may just skip tomorrow and use Friday as my make-up day.

Either way, no big deal. I am pretty sure I will live.
Posted By: sk8termom Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/27/21 09:24 PM
just had my second Moderna vaccine. Feeling a bit tired and have a headache. Little bit worse than the first one, but not too bad. I'm going to take it easy this evening. Hope I'm better tomorrow.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/28/21 02:42 AM
My J+J shot was 2 weeks ago last Wed. Felt slightly groggy and stiff for a day, then back to normal.

Good to go.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/28/21 03:20 AM
Other than my shoulder being a little sore, I didn't notice any real side effects from my J&J shot ...... but I'm such a wreck that I probably wouldn't have noticed. rofl
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/28/21 04:22 AM
Glad to know that you got the "One + Done."

One less thing on the 'List Of s# To Worry About,' right?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/28/21 07:25 AM
Had my left side nerve ablation done on Thursday, and didn't wind up being admitted this time. I consider that a huge victory as well. lol
Posted By: oobernoober Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/30/21 12:43 PM
Yay for YTown! I'm hoping you get some relief.

As for me, I got jab#2 (Pfizer) yesterday right before my lunch break. They definitely had the B-Team running the show this time down at Hamilton County Board of Elections (vaccination site). They only asked for my name once, didn't check my ID nor did they scan my barcode. That's a 180 from last time, where I thought they might ask me to submit for a DNA test to confirm my identity. I probably shouldn't complain because I was in and out in 20 minutes (that's including the 15 minute monitoring). And the jab itself... I'm pretty sure the nurse was searching for the bone while they were pushing the plunger on the syringe.

But after all that, I felt decent all day and played hockey that night. Felt a little weird in the middle of the game and after, and I still feel like things could go either way, but as of now no side effects to report (other than injection site soreness).
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/30/21 12:56 PM
I got a text last week to go to the Meijer in Colerain. I expected to just go to the pharmacy area with a handful of people. It was actually a much larger operation. They had moved shelves and had 15 injection stations (one person doing the injection and one on a laptop taking your information/printing your card). There were about 100 people in a snake pattern line that weaved up and down the "seasonal" aisles.

Despite the number of people, I probably received my injection within around 20 minutes. Then had another 15 minutes to look for a reaction.

Arm hurt noticeably for a few hours and then downgraded to "very sore" for the next day or so.

Heading back there on the 15th for Round 2. Also getting Pfizer.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/30/21 02:25 PM
j/c...

Had my first shot this past Sunday, 3/28, at the Wolstein Center. Hat tip to the National Guard and FEMA that are running that operation. Crazy efficient. Never stopped moving from the time I stepped foot inside until I sat down in my seat. Had a shot in my arm in a about one minute.

They had about ~40 national guardsmen administering shots going right up the aisles/rows with another member of the national guard with them on an iPad scheduling your 2nd shot and filling out your vaccine card.

It was an impressive operation.

Received the Pfizer vaccine. No side effects.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/31/21 01:34 AM
Got my second Pfizer shot last Wednesday.

No side effects.

Done. Woo-hoo.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/31/21 01:41 AM
j/c.

Wife and I get the J and J Friday morning.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/31/21 11:38 AM
j/c...

Some good news.

Posted By: oobernoober Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/31/21 01:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Some good news.

At this point, wouldn't Pfizer and all them only have to prove safety in the younger age range? Do they really have to prove that it's effective all over again?
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/31/21 03:25 PM
5 to 11 year olds trials are underway as well.
Posted By: jfanent Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 03/31/21 11:28 PM
My son received his first Pfizer injection yesterday. He's miserable today....aching, fever over 101, chills, etc. He did have Covid this summer and was sick for a while. I've really not heard of anyone reacting to the first shot like this.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/01/21 12:38 AM
My son received his first Pfizer injection yesterday. He's miserable today....aching, fever over 101, chills, etc. He did have Covid this summer and was sick for a while. I've really not heard of anyone reacting to the first shot like this.

Wonder what his post COVID pre vaccine antigen levels were? My guess is he still had active blood antibodies, or his memory B cells kicked in hard.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/01/21 11:44 AM
I got my first Phizer yesterday. I'm fine other than soreness around the injection spot.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/01/21 12:19 PM
I've actually seen articles out there that say a strong reaction to the first dose coincides with previously contracting the virus.

Here's just the first article I found when I googled:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/strong-r...-214925129.html
Posted By: oobernoober Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/01/21 12:46 PM
Update on myself:

I ended up being REALLY tired the next day. Took a half day off of work after dragging butt up until lunch. Tried to be a little productive around the house but was pretty much useless. Slept like a rock that night (second sleep post-shot) and woke up feeling like a champ.

All side effects have passed.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/01/21 01:57 PM
I was reading the vaccine looks to be good for 6 months, so booster will probably be required. maybe twice a year until more research comes in and possibly a better vaccine is achieved.

Hopefully by that point primary care doctors are giving them since I see mine every 3-4 months. If not, once the initial shots are given, there won't be a big rush and getting one at any drug store will be a simple as showing up and getting one.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/01/21 02:48 PM
I saw that Pfizer's was good for "at least" six months. Even so, I'm betting that at least a yearly booster will be required to maintain immunity.

This will be interesting if we keep having "second dose" reactions with each booster, where many people feel some strong side effects. Obviously, it's still worth it, but it would kinda suck to have 1-2 days a year marked on the calendar as "side effect day." Hopefully that's something that will get mitigated as the research improves and time goes on.
Posted By: jfanent Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/01/21 03:26 PM
I've actually seen articles out there that say a strong reaction to the first dose coincides with previously contracting the virus.

Here's just the first article I found when I googled:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/strong-r...-214925129.html

Thanks. Lots of good info in that article.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/01/21 09:19 PM
I saw that Pfizer's was good for "at least" six months. Even so, I'm betting that at least a yearly booster will be required to maintain immunity.

This will be interesting if we keep having "second dose" reactions with each booster, where many people feel some strong side effects. Obviously, it's still worth it, but it would kinda suck to have 1-2 days a year marked on the calendar as "side effect day." Hopefully that's something that will get mitigated as the research improves and time goes on.

I would think most of the side effects would be greatly diminished. In time, probably just like getting a flu shot. Maybe a little soreness in the neck at the injection point.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/02/21 04:51 PM
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
j/c.

Wife and I get the J and J Friday morning.

Went in, filled out all the stuff. A guy that had just come out sat down (to be monitored for 15 minutes.) I asked him how it went.

"It hurt. Felt like I got stung by a yellow jacket, and my arm hurts!"

Wife and I went in. She got it first. I could tell by her face it bothered her, and within a second or 2 she said her fingers hurt/tingled.

I got it next. I actually asked the giver if had done it. I felt next to nothing.

Been 3 hours, still nothing for me.

With my luck, tonight I'll be achy, sore, etc.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/02/21 08:31 PM
I had no reaction to the shot other that a bit of soreness in my arm if I pushed on the area.

My wife was in bed for 2 days after her first shot, and back in bed today after the second shot.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/02/21 08:48 PM
I'm still not eligible. 51 years old with some minor immunity issues due to meds I take. I'd be more patient if I didn't know many, many people younger than I without any medical issues (according to them) that have already been vaccinated here. Despite the Guv having produced a very structured rollout, the feeling seems to be it is completely random and not following any structure. And I get random meaningless text messages telling me to recheck my eligibility...every time same answer...not eligible.

This said, from everyone I've talked to here that has been vaccinated, once you get an appointment, the process is very smooth sailing and quite quick.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/02/21 08:54 PM
Originally Posted By: clwb419

This said, from everyone I've talked to here that has been vaccinated, once you get an appointment, the process is very smooth sailing and quite quick.

Here, it was. At the hospital. Walked in at about 9:50, filled out a vaccination info sheet, handed it to them (they'd already taken our i.d.'s and insurance card). 10:00 the shot giver walked in, talked for a few minutes, asked if we had any questions, injected us, gave us our cards, and asked us to wait 15 minutes in the waiting room.

15 minutes later, we left. 10:25.

It's been the same for everyone I know. All have been appointments - no walk ins - there, at the community center, at drugstores, etc.

Wife's hand/arm are back to normal also.
Posted By: jfanent Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/02/21 09:15 PM
I'm still not eligible. 51 years old with some minor immunity issues due to meds I take. I'd be more patient if I didn't know many, many people younger than I without any medical issues (according to them) that have already been vaccinated here. Despite the Guv having produced a very structured rollout, the feeling seems to be it is completely random and not following any structure. And I get random meaningless text messages telling me to recheck my eligibility...every time same answer...not eligible.

Between what you and Portland are saying....Oregon is messed up. 16 and over are eligible here now. It's been a hassle at times to get appointments, but people are getting vaccinated.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/02/21 09:54 PM
Yep, I think it is.

As a whole I think she did a decent job on the closing down/opening up of the counties. We're 47th in deaths/million (DC is in there, so only 4 states have better deaths/million numbers), but 27th largest population-wise.

But most of us are confused on the vaccination process...Looking at the number from the CDC, we're pretty level with other states on vaccines administered and percentage of residents fully vaccinated. We're being vaccinated, just don't know why folks that are not frontline are getting it early.

This said, it is a matter of patience I guess.

Interesting information for the data geeks out there
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

Oregon Data
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/03/21 04:30 AM
Hi arch.

Got my J+J on 3/10.
Wifey got her first Pfizer 2/3 weeks ago. She just got her shot#2 today. All our shots were at the same facility:

ProMedica/Toledo.

6 blocks from home. 15 min drive/park (it would have been a 10-min walk, if I wasn't also running errands that day)

Walked in, registered, got my poke within 10 min.
Had to wait 10-15 to check for immediate side-effects before checking out.

I was back in the flow in less than 60 min, all told (that's blazinfast for us cityfolk).

Next day: sluggish, mentally slow. Low-grade body aches, and a feeling of "creaky old bones." Cello sounded like s#, but she only says what I tell her to say. I didn't take a temp to see if the 'low-grade fever' was part of my package.

Before the end of that day, I was already feeling better.

Day Two: life, as I know it.

You should prob be OK.

Glad to hear that You+Wife got your shots.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/03/21 11:01 AM
Quote:
Next day: sluggish, mentally slow. Low-grade body aches, and a feeling of "creaky old bones."

Glad to see you were back to your normal self the next day thumbsup
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/03/21 12:35 PM

Between what you and Portland are saying....Oregon is messed up. 16 and over are eligible here now. It's been a hassle at times to get appointments, but people are getting vaccinated.

Same here. Appointments are first come. The health dept. posts them up, so if you check and it is full, check again tomorrow. I also see the Wal-Mart market I use is giving them. I am not sure if that is more or less walk up or by appointment, but anyone who wants to get the shot has ample opportunity to book if they are somewhat diligent in their effort. People aren't just going to show up at your house asking if you want the shot.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/03/21 02:28 PM
Good.

At about 6 pm last evening I posted that my wife's arm/fingers were back to normal.

At about 8 pm, she curled up in a blanket on the couch, freezing. I was in the recliner, cold. I covered up also. She had a head ache. Sore arm (it was weird - around the bandaid they put on, you could see the swelling)

Around 9 we still couldn't warm up. I felt a cold draft and actually got up to see if a door or window was open.

I went to bed at 10, she went about midnight, still complaining. She's not right this morning, still.

Oh well, some people have reactions for 24 hours or so.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/03/21 04:22 PM
She’ll ride it out. Make sure to stay hydrated. Take a little ibuprofen, 600mg or so. Nap it off.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/04/21 12:04 AM
I got a text and email yesterday (Friday) from the State and they made a change apparently and I'm now eligible. They also said that there's another change coming Monday.

That's a bit asinine since appointments are only released Monday through Thursday at 9am - and apparently they're gone in minutes. I have meetings every morning, so it looks like I'll need to take time off to get an appointment or I'll need to continue to wait.

Oregon, how about releasing 1/2 at 9am and half at 6pm? I guess it makes too much sense.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/04/21 02:43 PM
I'll be honest, i felt guilty about being able to get mine. I'm nowhere near eligible (well, now i am because of OH throwing the doors open), but because where I work manufactures med devices, everyone there was deemed 'sorta-essential', including me even though I only spend 1% of my time on the floor (if I'm in the office at all).

Them's the rules... I didn't make them.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/04/21 06:51 PM
My 2 cents - don't feel guilty. If you skirted the process, you could, but if you followed the rules, there's no reason to feel guilty.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/05/21 03:18 PM
I agree with you but can relate to how he feels. I qualified for the vaccine about a month before my wife did. Man did I feel guilty getting the vaccine before she did. I actually planned to wait until she was eligible so both of us could sign up together. She wasn't having it! lol

As it turns out I will be getting my second vaccine three days after she receives her first one.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/05/21 03:27 PM
My wife signed us up at the same time, but because of the way it works here, we go vaccinated on the same day, about 2 hours, her at 3pm me at 5pm, and 20 miles apart.

It is what it is.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/05/21 05:25 PM
Researched the new Oregon rules over the weekend since I was eligible as of Friday. This morning I jumped online to try to get an appointment, and apparently every site (OHSU and Pharmacies) is different. When I answer the questions, I'm eligible on some sites and not on others.

Getvaccinatedoregon.com has a question (#9) if there are any health conditions with increased risk. I'm immunocompromised, so I qualify according to the Oregon government. But, if I go to Kroger's pharmacy site 9fro example), I'm not because their question is much more specific (Weakened immune system due to solid organ transplant or HIV). One of the others was similar.

Baffling.

Posted By: TTTDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/05/21 08:02 PM
Originally Posted By: TTTDawg

I went straight to the appt.....no breakfast/food for a while as well/since last night.

Then again it could be because still no food today. I generally never eat till 5:30/6pm

Ok OCD.....we're up again tomorrow.....Pfizer #2.

2nd shot report comin tomorrow.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/05/21 08:25 PM
I'm ready.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/06/21 11:46 AM
Wife and I have second already. No problems. Feel better for having this done. Our county has been high count. Sore arm was about it.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/06/21 02:50 PM
Originally Posted By: TTTDawg

Just got back home from my 2nd Pfizer received at 9:45a.

Again, nothing to really report as side affects.....

.....same as the 1st dose...again, perhaps a little "meh" and or "woebegone". Called and told my wife. She said I might feel something tomorrow??? She was in a meeting and couldn't chat/expound on that so.....
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/06/21 03:17 PM
Typical side effects come about 12-15 hours after the jab. I got my second Moderna on a Friday at noon. I felt fine, besides waking up with a headache, until about 6pm on Saturday. Then I got a chill and night sweats.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/06/21 03:25 PM
Port I'm getting my 2nd Moderna shot this Thursday. I expect to get a little reaction.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/06/21 05:04 PM
Port I'm getting my 2nd Moderna shot this Thursday. I expect to get a little reaction.

I don’t know your age but the reactions tend to be stronger the younger you are. I’m 48. I had a pretty strong reaction. My mom is 74. She only had a mild headache. My immune system is stronger than hers partly because of that age gap. Hence my body mounted a bigger defense.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/06/21 06:02 PM
I'm 63 Portland.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/06/21 06:22 PM
I'm 63 Portland.

You fall into the lesser side effects camp. Doesn’t mean you won’t have them. Just means they’re statistically likely to be less.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/06/21 06:33 PM
Typical side effects come about 12-15 hours after the jab. I got my second Moderna on a Friday at noon. I felt fine, besides waking up with a headache, until about 6pm on Saturday. Then I got a chill and night sweats.

Tks, good info. When todays 9:45a second dose kicks in I'll know more of the what's, where's, when's, and why's, etc.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/06/21 06:51 PM
My parents both had covid back in late October. They also, 4-6 weeks ago, had the moderna shots.

They are 79 and didn't deal with much other than tiredness and a little soreness. Nothing much. And, the tiredness is an everyday thing for them anyway.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/06/21 09:44 PM
Got my 2nd Pfizer shot today and been a couple hours, so far so good.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/07/21 11:38 AM
How're you feeling now? My experience (minimal as it was) is it took 12+ hours to find out how it would hit me.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/07/21 01:23 PM
Arm is a little sore, other than that I'm good.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/07/21 01:46 PM
Glad to hear it. I hope I'm as lucky tomorrow when I get my 2nd Moderna shot.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/07/21 08:33 PM
U.S. begins study assessing allergic reactions to Pfizer and Moderna Covid vaccines
PUBLISHED WED, APR 7 202111:04 AM EDT

EDTUPDATED WED, APR 7 20211:40 PM EDT
Berkeley Lovelace Jr.

The NIH said it has begun looking at why some people have suffered from allergic reactions after receiving the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna Covid-19 vaccines.

The NIH study will enroll 3,400 adults ages 18 to 69 at up to 35 academic allergy-research centers nationwide.

Most of the rare, severe allergic reactions to these vaccines have occurred in people with a history of allergies, public health officials have said.

The National Institutes of Health said Wednesday it has begun looking at why some people have suffered from severe allergic reactions shortly after receiving the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna Covid-19 vaccines.

“The public understandably has been concerned about reports of rare, severe allergic reactions to the Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccines,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, which is part of the NIH, said in a statement.

“The information gathered during this trial will help doctors advise people who are highly allergic or have a mast cell disorder about the risks and benefits of receiving these two vaccines. However, for most people, the benefits of COVID-19 vaccination far outweigh the risks,” he said. Some people with ‘long Covid’ say their symptoms ease after getting vaccine.

Medical experts say allergic reactions from vaccines are rare but can sometimes happen. Most of the rare, severe allergic reactions to the vaccines have occurred in people with a history of allergies, public health officials have said. An immediate allergic reaction usually happens within 4 hours of getting vaccinated and may include symptoms such as hives, swelling and wheezing, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The CDC said in January allergic reactions are occurring at a rate of 11.1 per 1 million vaccinations for the Pfizer shot and 2.5 per 1 million for the Moderna shot.

The NIH study will enroll 3,400 adults ages 18 to 69 at up to 35 academic allergy-research centers nationwide, the agency said. Participants will be divided into groups and be assigned at random to receive either the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, the Moderna vaccine, a placebo followed by the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine or a placebo followed by the Moderna vaccine.

Alkis Togias, chief of the NIAID’s allergy, asthma and airway biology branch, told CNBC in December that researchers at the U.S. agency became interested in the rare phenomenon after reports that a few people had reactions to Pfizer’s vaccine that qualified as anaphylaxis, a severe and potentially life-threatening allergic reaction.

The CDC has been asking health-care providers to monitor patients for 15 minutes after vaccination and 30 minutes for those who have a history of allergic reactions.

If someone has a severe allergic reaction after getting the first dose of a Covid-19 vaccine, the CDC recommends that they do not get the second dose of that vaccine, even if the allergic reaction was not severe enough to require emergency care.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/07/covid-va...erna-shots.html
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/08/21 02:38 PM
Just received my 2nd Moderna shot. I was informed of any side effects I may have and how long I could have them.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/08/21 06:57 PM
j/c...

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/08/21 09:13 PM
I was able to get my first shot today (Moderna). What a relief.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/09/21 12:30 AM
Finally got an appointment. Next Thursday I get the J&J. I have to travel a bit to get it, but get it I will.

To echo cfrs15, what a relief.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/09/21 01:13 AM
How far from PDX do you have to go?
Posted By: Damanshot Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/09/21 01:03 PM
Just an FYI,, Got my second shot on Tuesday of this week.. I kept waiting for all the problems to occur.. NOTHING. No problems at all... I feel fine..
Posted By: jfanent Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/09/21 01:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Just an FYI,, Got my second shot on Tuesday of this week.. I kept waiting for all the problems to occur.. NOTHING. No problems at all... I feel fine..

That means you're old, lol. Glad you joined the club of the innoculated.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/09/21 01:24 PM
Interestingly I get tested for COVID weekly for work. A quick finger poke for a drop of blood. It tests for both COVID and blood antigens (antibodies created as an immune response from either the vaccine or a COVID infection.). My antigen levels are high. Meaning my vaccine worked. On the other hand one of my vaccinated coworkers has no antigens. She’s a little freaked out.
We’re now wondering if/when she should seek getting another vaccine. We’re not really finding solid answers.
Posted By: jfanent Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/09/21 01:42 PM
Pretty interesting that your tests are different given the same vaccine. Even if you question the accuracy of the test, having it done weekly should take care of that.

I'm a bit confused as to what tests they're doing on you. Antigens are foreign substances that provoke an immune response. Wouldn't a negative antigen test mean the vaccine is working? Are they doing separate antibody testing?
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/09/21 01:56 PM
Got my 2nd Moderna shot yesterday morning. Went to work last night was sore and achy. Came home went right to bed. This morning still sore and achy but not too bad. Took some tylenol and ibuprofen. Head was a little stuffy and nose was running. Overall not too bad.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/09/21 02:41 PM
Pretty interesting that your tests are different given the same vaccine. Even if you question the accuracy of the test, having it done weekly should take care of that.

I'm a bit confused as to what tests they're doing on you. Antigens are foreign substances that provoke an immune response. Wouldn't a negative antigen test mean the vaccine is working? Are they doing separate antibody testing?

I get a blood test. My results come back negative for COVID, and IgM negative/IgG positive.

Addendum: I shouldn’t have used the word antigen. Antibodies is the correct word. To my defense I wrote that post at like 6am while still laying in bed.
Posted By: sk8termom Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/10/21 12:37 AM
My son Edwin, 22 years old, got his first Moderna vaccine today at Rite-Aid in Bowling Green. So happy I was able to schedule this for him!
Posted By: hitt Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/10/21 05:16 PM
Old Florida dog here, our state was wild west for a short while,
Canadians, rich South Americans getting shots before Americans, most Floridians did right thing, isolated, masked, etc....our first signup on internet exploded, not good, it got fixed and going to Publix, other "normal" spots seems to work, we offer Floridians age 16 older shots now. Spring break had all the nut young here....hope we don't explode again or cause outbreaks with "kids" going home.....be smart and safe. Go Browns!!!
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/10/21 05:21 PM
I know the virus is exploding in a lot of the Blue states right now.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/10/21 08:35 PM
How far from PDX do you have to go?

Not very far my friend, just St. Helens. A friend went to Lebanon (city, not country, lol) and my boss went to Salem.

We'll see though, with the news of J&J having to cut production...I wonder if I'll get it.
Posted By: Jester Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/10/21 11:49 PM

This may be a week or so old because I have been working a lot.
26 states have had recent increases but around 45% of all new cases were from 5 states:

New York and New Jersey (which in my mind is essentially the same given the number of people who live in NJ but work in NY.)

Michigan
Pennsylvania
Florida
Posted By: hitt Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/10/21 11:55 PM
Hope opening up more doesn't cause more outbreaks. My wife and I are old, 73/68 we had no side effects- she had sore arm, me nothing. Go Browns!!!
Posted By: Squires Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/11/21 12:11 AM

We'll see though, with the news of J&J having to cut production...I wonder if I'll get it.

In Colorado, they switched 24,000 J&J appointments this weekend to pfizer/moderna.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/11/21 12:41 AM
Originally Posted By: Jester

This may be a week or so old because I have been working a lot.
26 states have had recent increases but around 45% of all new cases were from 5 states:

New York and New Jersey (which in my mind is essentially the same given the number of people who live in NJ but work in NY.)

Michigan
Pennsylvania
Florida

It’s been something I’ve been tracking. I’m flying to Philly a week from tomorrow to set up a piece of public art... across the river in New Jersey. Two states on the high alert list.
Thankfully I’m vaccinated. My creative partner isn’t though. Our other crewman has only had his first Pfizer jab. I picked up some KN95s for all of us for the flight. We’ll be staying at an AirBnB together. It’ll be the first time any of us will be maskless around each other in over a year. There’s only so much avoidance of each other’s air when you’re sharing the same indoor air for a week. So staying healthy on the flight there, at minimum, is key to each other’s health.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/11/21 10:25 AM
Originally Posted By: hitt
Hope opening up more doesn't cause more outbreaks. My wife and I are old, 73/68 we had no side effects- she had sore arm, me nothing. Go Browns!!!

I hope so as well, and we are in the same ballpark as far as age.

In the end, what is opening too soon? If you can have that, you can have opening late.

I don't know that anybody has the perfect answer. There probably is no perfect answer. I do know that if we are to remain a free and open society, we need to open back up.

If that means the average ages drop by a decade, then that is what it is. It's that or live in a bubble, and I wouldn't want to do that.

If you and I are the last generation to realistically expect to live in to their 80's, I feel bad about that, but what are you going to do? Things change.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/11/21 02:57 PM
So somehow we would be a less free society if we waited two or three months to open up?
Posted By: JulesDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/12/21 12:03 AM
Originally Posted By: hitt

I hope so as well, and we are in the same ballpark as far as age.

In the end, what is opening too soon? If you can have that, you can have opening late.

I don't know that anybody has the perfect answer. There probably is no perfect answer. I do know that if we are to remain a free and open society, we need to open back up.

If that means the average ages drop by a decade, then that is what it is. It's that or live in a bubble, and I wouldn't want to do that.

If you and I are the last generation to realistically expect to live in to their 80's, I feel bad about that, but what are you going to do? Things change.

Actually, the amount of unprecedented research and money that have been spent on fighting this virus are going to do wonders going forward for our health. We are finding out things that wouldn’t have been discovered for years. Terrible events also bring great findings, it’s been that way for centuries.

I know you like to prognosticate the future based on your own feelings, but you need to actually take a look around and not just just make things up in your own mind. Good times are ahead in regards to physical health. Now if we would just put in the same effort for mental health.

Posted By: Milk Man Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/12/21 12:55 AM
Originally Posted By: JulesDawg
Actually, the amount of unprecedented research and money that have been spent on fighting this virus are going to do wonders going forward for our health. We are finding out things that wouldn’t have been found out for years. Terrible events also bring great findings, it’s been that way for centuries.

Absolutely. 60 Minutes had an interesting segment tonight on that research.

Posted By: northlima dawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/12/21 02:02 AM
Drudge report has an article today from a paper called The Times of Israel that based on a small sample study, the South African variant is able to "break through" the Pfizer vaccine or bypassing the shot.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/12/21 11:03 AM
You are closer to it than I. I hope you are right.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/12/21 11:04 AM
So somehow we would be a less free society if we waited two or three months to open up?

I didn't say that, thank-you.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/12/21 11:06 AM
Originally Posted By: northlima dawg
Drudge report has an article today from a paper called The Times of Israel that based on a small sample study, the South African variant is able to "break through" the Pfizer vaccine or bypassing the shot.

Great. (not)
Posted By: Damanshot Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/12/21 12:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

That means you're old, lol. Glad you joined the club of the innoculated.

Old I am,, Happy to be part of the club...LOL
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/12/21 02:01 PM

I didn't say that, thank-you.

That's why it was a question and not a statement. I notice you didn't answer it.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/12/21 05:18 PM
Originally Posted By: northlima dawg
Link?
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/12/21 05:25 PM
South African variant can 'break through' Pfizer vaccine, Israeli study says

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/south-african-variant-break-pfizer-200122705.html
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/12/21 05:33 PM
Quote:
The coronavirus variant discovered in South Africa can "break through" Pfizer/BioNTech's COVID-19 vaccine to some extent, a real-world data study in Israel found, though its prevalence in the country is low and the research has not been peer reviewed.

Both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine are 90% effective. Which means any variant of Covid can break through 10% of the time.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/12/21 06:44 PM
Quote:
The coronavirus variant discovered in South Africa can "break through" Pfizer/BioNTech's COVID-19 vaccine to some extent, a real-world data study in Israel found, though its prevalence in the country is low and the research has not been peer reviewed.

Both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine are 90% effective. Which means any variant of Covid can break through 10% of the time.

Yes, but this variant sounds like it can break through enough that the Pfizer may not be 90% effective.

I guess it is how it is measured. If you get a strain that works past the vaccine, I'd say it is 0% effective
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/13/21 01:59 PM
Now I see the J&J vaccine is being pulled because it causes blood clots, so any of you who got the J&J vaccine, pay attention.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/13/21 02:31 PM
I just read that also. Guess which one I and my wife got?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/13/21 02:32 PM
Extremely low occurrence, but this is the risk you take on when you use a pharmaceutical before it's gone through full review and approval.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/13/21 02:43 PM
Extremely low occurrence, but this is the risk you take on when you use a pharmaceutical before it's gone through full review and approval.

And why some people are resisting the shot at this point. Now rather than a controlled clinical trial, we have millions of people in a uncontrolled trial.

What could go wrong with that? However, under the circumstances, I understand the rush. All you have to do is look around to understand the Federal Government is losing control of the people. It would have lost further control had they sat on a possible vaccine waiting for a typical clinical trial process while people kept kicking the bucket and the rest were kept bound.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/13/21 02:48 PM
That sucks. Would taking a blood thinning drug (Aspirin?) be a good precautionary measure? I ask because I don't know beans about this kinda stuff.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/13/21 02:51 PM
I have no idea. We got the shot 11 days ago.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/13/21 03:00 PM
Six cases among 7,000,000 shots administered.
Posted By: FATE Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/13/21 03:03 PM
Two doctors in my family recommended taking an aspirin everyday when I had covid -- because of clotting issues. I'd think the same would hold true if the vaccine was causing the same issue.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/13/21 03:15 PM
I've read the same thing (from a doctor). Though what I read was the low dose aspirin (81g)
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/13/21 03:17 PM
Yes, but this variant sounds like it can break through enough that the Pfizer may not be 90% effective.

I guess it is how it is measured. If you get a strain that works past the vaccine, I'd say it is 0% effective

Let's look at this from a fact based way of thinking.

These new strains are more contagious. Nowhere has the virus in all of the strains combined broken above the 10% threshold. So it is still being proven as 90% effective. That hasn't changed. Common sense would dictate the strains that do manage to break though would be the most contagious forms of the virus.

So do strains break through the virus? Yes. Were they predicted to? Yes. Up to 10% of the time.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/13/21 03:19 PM
j/c

I got a call from CVS and they had a couple of leftover doses of vaccine that gave me the opportunity to go ahead and get my second dose of the Moderna vaccine. As of today I am seeing no symptoms that some others have reported.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/13/21 03:25 PM
They say we don't complain about side effects because we have weaker immune systems. I say it's because we are tough old birds laugh
Posted By: clwb419 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/13/21 04:26 PM
Just got a not from the clinic that will be doing my shot on Thursday. I'm no longer getting J&J, it will be Moderna instead.

While the J&J clotting issue is 1 in a million, I appreciate the change.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/13/21 04:59 PM
My extremely un-expert guess is that states pulling the the J&J vaccine is only because of the guidance issued from federal, and that was put out there because they don't fully understand why this is happening. We have fully approved pharma products that have far worse odds on side effects (including death) that we've decided we're ok with. What's probably actually scaring them is the unknown.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/14/21 02:07 PM
This article was interesting: https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/johnson-...-175644988.html

Yahoo Life
How serious is the Johnson & Johnson blood clot risk compared to common medications? Experts explain.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/14/21 02:28 PM
The one tweet from the doc (surrounded by a sea of neckbeards copy-pasting talking points from their favorite sources) kinda confirmed my suspicion. They haven't revoked authorization, they simply paused distribution until they can get clarity into why this is happening.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/14/21 02:31 PM

I'd go as far to say that even though modern medicine has come a long way and does some wonderful things with medicines/vaccines, we are still a biological product, each one unique. And anytime we put some man-made chemical concoction into our bodies, there is a chance of adverse affect, no matter how much testing it's been through.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/14/21 06:38 PM
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan

I'd go as far to say that even though modern medicine has come a long way and does some wonderful things with medicines/vaccines, we are still a biological product, each one unique. And anytime we put some man-made chemical concoction into our bodies, there is a chance of adverse affect, no matter how much testing it's been through.

When you get down to it, you run risk with all sorts of medications...you have heard the guy talking real fast at the end of the commercials, it can cause a limp noodle, yeast infections, rectal bleeding, blindness, toenails falling off, strokes, elevated heartbeat, bla, bla, bla, bla....seek immediate medical attention.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/14/21 06:45 PM
I always love the ‘if you’re allergic to colelexolib don’t take colelexolib’ comment...
How am I to know if I’m allergic to it without taking it?!
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/15/21 12:41 AM
First shot Moderna, small sting, fingers tingled. I went home, by that night arm sore that I couldnt sleep on that side. Next day by mid afternoon I was wiped out tired small headache.. called off work.

2nd shot was on a Friday after work.. no workie weekends. Repeat of the first shot in terms of effects.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/15/21 03:17 AM
glad you're 'legal,' bro-
Posted By: columbusdawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/15/21 11:56 AM
Got my second Pfizer yesterday. Arm a little sore and was really tired.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/15/21 04:42 PM
I was wondering if it was just my family that was having trouble locating, connecting to and setting appointments to get the vaccine. I mean we stuck to it and eventually worked it out but it ended up being quite a chore.

Then I saw where Tennessee ranked 48th in states for adult vaccines administered. The only states lower are Alabama and Georgia.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/15/21 04:52 PM
Just got my second Pfizer shot 2 hours ago. Don't know what the difference was from the first (where I barely felt a thing). This time, it felt like they were lighting my arm on fire as the needle went in, and now the whole damn arm still hurts and/or feels tingly.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/15/21 04:56 PM
I always love the ‘if you’re allergic to colelexolib don’t take colelexolib’ comment...
How am I to know if I’m allergic to it without taking it?!

Ah yes, the old "if you are allergic to the medication, or any of it's ingredients, don't take it."

I'm allergic to strawberries.. are there strawberries in it? Cause you know, I don't know if I'm allergic to Propylparaben or not...
Posted By: clwb419 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/15/21 07:26 PM
I was wondering if it was just my family that was having trouble locating, connecting to and setting appointments to get the vaccine. I mean we stuck to it and eventually worked it out but it ended up being quite a chore.

Then I saw where Tennessee ranked 48th in states for adult vaccines administered. The only states lower are Alabama and Georgia.

It wasn't a good experience here either. When I finally qualified to get a shot (I find it bizarre that weakened immune system is in the 7th group), the OSHU website wouldn't function properly and all of the pharmacies were fully booked - even if I went online at the time they were made available. It reminded me of calling into the radio station to win a prize in the 80s.

I also signed up for the Oregon Health Authority's website and local and national sites that supposedly tell you when extra shots are available. Nada from any of those.

What is sad is I know of 3 cases where doses were thrown out because they didn't have people show up.

I ended up saying screw the county I live in and started searching surrounding Counties (based on advice from a few people who drove 60-90 minutes for shots). Literally the first county website I went to at some random time during the day had appointments, and a ton of them. I sent it to friends and even a couple hours later those appointments were still available. In a few hours, I'll drive the 45ish minutes to get my first.

So, to those still looking...unless you're unable to travel a bit or your state has restrictions on where you can get shots - take a look at surrounding counties.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/15/21 07:39 PM
Something I thought was very strange happened in my area. CVS was authorized to give out the first vaccine but not the second one. As such as soon as there was an opening they contacted me. But after I got the fist dose, they couldn't guarantee me nor set up an appointment for the second dose. As it turns out, all of our county agencies were handing out the Pfizer vaccine while CVS was giving out Moderna. So there I was trying to find somewhere out of my own county that used the Moderna vaccine.

I found a place about an hour away. Then suddenly this week CVS called to schedule my second vaccine. They brought me in right away with no wait time. They had been approved by the state to give the second dose finally. It just seemed like a very disjointed plan by the state.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/15/21 07:57 PM
Update: not sure if it's related or what, but I got my shot at 11 AM. Right now I feel like I just want to sleep for a very long time.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/15/21 08:35 PM
Yup. Not uncommon.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/15/21 08:48 PM
Second shot in the arm about 24 hours ago. I am holding up fine.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/16/21 04:46 AM
First Moderna today, no side effects at all. Or fatigue that I don't notice because I'm burning the candle at both ends, and a few points in the middle smile

Really efficient process (as most have said). The nurse laughed when she told me the worst part was over (immediately after the shot), I told her it was over 2 weeks ago when I got the appointment...hard enough that most people in the room looked at us.

And a stunningly beautiful day in the PNW...mid 70s and sun. On the drive to St. Helens, I saw Mount St. Helens and Mt. Rainier in their full glory - and Mount Hood on the way back into PDX.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/16/21 01:13 PM
I already got the 2 Moderna shots. I think I'll get the 2 Phizer shots too so I'll be doubly protected. ooo
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/16/21 02:36 PM
Not sure that would be healthy. They asked a lot of questions about having been vaccinated for covid before giving me the pfizer shots. Unless people are really doing what you are talking about, there must be some safety reason for those questions.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/16/21 02:43 PM
I already got the 2 Moderna shots. I think I'll get the 2 Phizer shots too so I'll be doubly protected. ooo

By my math, you'd be ~170% protected vs the 'rona. Why hasn't anyone thought of this before!?
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/16/21 02:50 PM
Honestly, I just posted that as a joke but it got me wondering if you could do something like that.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/16/21 02:59 PM
Honestly, I just posted that as a joke but it got me wondering if you could do something like that.

Not advised... unless you also get the J&J jab added into the mix. They call it the ‘trifecta of no infecta’. You should get your full punch card completed and can use it to get a free Blizzard at Dairy Queen.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/16/21 03:01 PM
If I needed to add purple to that I’ll have lost all hope.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/16/21 03:14 PM

Not advised... unless you also get the J&J jab added into the mix. They call it the ‘trifecta of no infecta’. You should get your full punch card completed and can use it to get a free Blizzard at Dairy Queen.

Even if I'm diabetic? laugh
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/16/21 05:37 PM
Can I get 3 free donuts from Krispy Kreme that way?
Posted By: Squires Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/16/21 10:27 PM

FWIW, 3 might be ok. There is a local clinic that was providing vaccines that has been shutdown by the health department due to not storing vaccines properly. They said to treat any vaccines received from this clinic as invalid. If you had 1 shot, wait 3-4 weeks and schedule a 1st and 2nd shot elsewhere. If you had 2 shots, then wait 3-4 weeks and get 1 additional shot.

It seems if the 2 invalid shots were actually valid, 1 additional shot would be ok.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/17/21 07:02 PM

You forgot to mention he still needs to wear a mask, wash his hands often, and socially distance.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/17/21 07:09 PM

Yep, no side effects at all on Thursday after the shot (3pm), but Friday became progressively "worse". Friday, I had a doc appointment and also massage/chiro which both could have impacted me as well - but fatigue out the wazoo - man I was as tired as I've ever been. General lethargy like one has when they're sick. Headache - I have headaches 24/7, but this was worse - the chiro had difficulties adjusting my neck, so this may have had an impact too - but today, my headache is back to normal. No fever, but I felt feverish all day yesterday.

Back to normal today, or as normal as I get (though to touch, my arm is sore - like a bad bruise)
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/23/21 10:53 AM
Second Phizer shot yesterday at 4:30. So far all good, a little soreness around the injection site, but less than the first shot.

I was a bit restless all night, sleeping in 30-45 minutes segments with 10-15 minutes of awake , up until about 4 when I slept through to the 6am alarm. But that is not totally uncommon for me either.
Posted By: jfanent Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 04/23/21 11:46 AM

He received his 2nd injection a few days ago with minimal effects.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/02/21 03:10 AM
I'm getting the first shot of Moderna on Wednesday.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/04/21 02:03 PM
Pfizer about to gain gain authorization (still not approval) for 12-15 to receive their vaccine

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthc...eek-2021-05-03/
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/05/21 07:50 PM
How did you make out, Eve? Any side effects yet? You go, girl....
Posted By: EveDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/05/21 07:57 PM
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32

I havent gone yet. My appt is for 6pm today. I'm kind of nervous about it. I trust my natural antibodies more than this vaccine.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/05/21 08:36 PM
j/c

I know covid is real.

I got the j and j vaccine just before Easter.

I've know several people that did, actually die from covid.

I've also known 4 people, just here in tiny n.w. ohio, that died, and covid got blamed.

The last one was my great aunt. She lived in a nursing home. That nursing home has been proud (and should be) to claim no covid cases amongst the residents or the employees.

She died late last week. At 103 years old. Guess what was listed as the cause? Yup, covid.

Another gentleman, 94 years old. His kids had seen him earlier that day. He wasn't sick - at all. he was actually driving to his daughters house later that day, had a car accident, and died. Guess what the cause of death was listed as? Yup, covid.

2 others I know/knew - they were my neighbors when I was young. The husband, (mid 80's) stage 3 cancer, died. Guess what was listed as the cause of death? Covid.

His wife, also mid 80's, quit eating and drinking after his death. She also died, just 6 days after him. Guess what was listed as the cause of death? Yup, covid.

It seems to me not many elderly people have died of cancer, old age, lack of hydration and/or nourishment - not even from car accidents. Nope - covid.

And again, I'll say it - covid is real. I had it a year and a half ago, as did my daughter - based on symptoms.

Anyone notice how flu deaths were basically nil this past year? They were all covid deaths - or reported that way.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/05/21 10:02 PM
Originally Posted By: EveDawg

I havent gone yet. My appt is for 6pm today. I'm kind of nervous about it. I trust my natural antibodies more than this vaccine.

All done. smile
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/05/21 11:21 PM
Had both shots of the Moderna, been a few weeks since the second shot. Never had any side affects with either.

How ever I feel about the Vaccine or the whole covid thing, sometimes in life we have to make a sacrifice and I feel I did to help my country and the world beat an enemy in a virus.

Honestly, I might of had the flu once when I was in the 6th grade, I have sinuses, that's about it.

I remember as a kid getting vaccinated for all kinds of stuff, early to mid 1960's never died from them. I feel a lot better getting this vaccine, whether necessary or not, a piece of mind for me and that is really all that matters.

I'm 60 by the way if the age and reaction thing is a curiosity for those debating on making a decision.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/06/21 09:24 AM
Bout time you got vaccinated you old fart. nanner
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/06/21 03:19 PM
Dear Lord.

The flu is far less infectious than Covid. Wearing masks greatly educed the outbreak of flu.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/06/21 03:31 PM
I commend you for answering. I read that same post and just shook my head. I refuse to answer those types of posts any longer. Each of those touch points have been dealt with countless times over the past few months. I no longer have the energy for dispelling such nonsense.
FYI any doctor found falsifying the cause of death on a a certificate of death would be setting themselves up for losing their license to practice medicine. I’ll just leave it there.
Posted By: Squires Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/07/21 01:38 AM
jc

Researchers identify protein signature of severe covid cases
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/07/21 04:20 AM
I got my second Moderna shot today at around three. My first shot I had no symptoms, this time around I am feeling it pretty quickly.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/07/21 01:26 PM
Pfizer is applying for FDA approval for their vaccine.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/07/health/pfizer-biontech-fda-approval-bla-vaccine/index.html

What I don't get is that this approval is only for ages 16+. What benefit does Pfizer get in submitting for what's already authorized to use? I was always hoping that they would be allowed to collect and leverage data coming out of the EUA (for my area, the option was given to report back any and all symptoms for both rounds of the shot, out to several weeks after each shot... I participated based on the assumption that this data could be used for the company to accelerate their FDA submission), and so I assume this is the case based on this limited submission.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/07/21 03:34 PM
Well they are putting the FDA in a pickle because I can't imagine that they would suddenly say it's not safe...
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/07/21 04:06 PM
It will help them when it comes time for yearly booster shots, which I am sure will not be free.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/07/21 04:08 PM
Pfizer is applying for FDA approval for their vaccine.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/07/health/pfizer-biontech-fda-approval-bla-vaccine/index.html

What I don't get is that this approval is only for ages 16+. What benefit does Pfizer get in submitting for what's already authorized to use? I was always hoping that they would be allowed to collect and leverage data coming out of the EUA (for my area, the option was given to report back any and all symptoms for both rounds of the shot, out to several weeks after each shot... I participated based on the assumption that this data could be used for the company to accelerate their FDA submission), and so I assume this is the case based on this limited submission.

Money!

If cleared, the companies would be able to begin marketing the product to the general public. The full approval would also allow more employers to begin mandating vaccination. Moderna says it plans to initiate a rolling submission for a BLA for its Covid-19 vaccine this month.

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/07/21 04:15 PM
Because the evidence is in for over 200,000,000 Americans over 16. The vaccine was just recently approved for emergency use for those under 16. The uproar has been "But the vaccine has only been approved for emergency use so we don't know it it's safe?"

They couple that with, "If it had been proven safe they would have given it full approval."

Now that they are trying to get full approval for those it's already been proven safe for by the overwhelming numbers, people are asking why they aren't asking for approval for a group it was only approved for emergency use for in the U.S.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/07/21 04:19 PM
My understanding is that the bar is significantly lower for proving safety (and effectiveness) to gain EUA than it is for approval. EUA is basically "the benefits probably outweigh the risks" vs "data submitted proves this is safe and effective".

My understanding is based off a career in medical device, so while we are regulated by the same FDA (different departments) and many of the applicable regulations are very similar, it's not the same as pharma.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/07/21 04:43 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I got my second Moderna shot today at around three. My first shot I had no symptoms, this time around I am feeling it pretty quickly.

Update:

I feel like I got hit by a truck.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/07/21 04:50 PM
This too shall pass. Stay hydrated. 600mg ibuprofen. Nap.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/07/21 04:51 PM

Update:

Embrace it! After I got my second Pfizer shot in the evening I woke up the next morning and could barely get out of bed I was so tired. Slept about 18 hrs that day and woke up refreshed the following morning like never before. It was fantastic.
Posted By: FATE Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/07/21 05:02 PM

Update:

No better explanation than "hit by a truck" when I got covid but the recipe was pretty simple. Good advice from Portland -- hydrate, Ibuprofen, naps. Hang in there champ!
Posted By: EveDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/07/21 06:08 PM

All done. smile

It made me pretty sick. Last night was rough. Feverish, nauseous, cold sweats, sore arm.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/07/21 06:14 PM

All done. smile

It made me pretty sick. Last night was rough. Feverish, nauseous, cold sweats, sore arm.

What doesn’t kill us… gives us a stronger 5G signal. Welcome to the club.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/07/21 06:35 PM

That's all normal, it's just a side effect of the micro robots integrating into your cells. wink

I used purple in case you couldn't tell...
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/07/21 08:25 PM
j/c

Just got back a little bit ago from taking my wife to get her second Pfizer vaccine. So we're both fully covered now.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/07/21 08:57 PM
Well they are putting the FDA in a pickle because I can't imagine that they would suddenly say it's not safe...

If it isn't, would they?
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/08/21 12:14 AM
This too shall pass. Stay hydrated. 600mg ibuprofen. Nap.

This was me.
Felt like I got hit by a Fiat 500 instead of a truck. The truck was last Feb when I think I had a case of The Actual Crap.

The naps, ibuprofen and water/juice/soup did the trick.

Back on top inside of 48 hours.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/08/21 02:04 AM

If it isn't, would they?

That's what I'm saying. Can you imagine the absolute crapfest that would ensue after that announcement? smh.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/08/21 02:12 AM
Has anyone talked to Vers or 40 since the last big spike, well 40 even before that? They both quit posting as far as I can tell and I can't help but wonder if they are alright. There was no great love loss between us, but I wouldn't wish them any harm and certainly not covid.
Posted By: FATE Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/08/21 03:02 AM
Has anyone talked to Vers or 40 since the last big spike, well 40 even before that? They both quit posting as far as I can tell and I can't help but wonder if they are alright. There was no great love loss between us, but I wouldn't wish them any harm and certainly not covid.

I thought Vers recovered from covid before he left? I know some of his kids did, maybe I'm confused.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/08/21 03:16 AM
Originally Posted By: FATE

I thought Vers recovered from covid before he left? I know some of his kids did, maybe I'm confused.

I am worried about them too.
Posted By: ~Con~Artist~ Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/08/21 03:46 AM

All done. smile

We both got it around the same time. My first shot was pretty much the same side effects, my second shot I had zero side effects beyond a sore arm and I was tired that night. From my research, this is pretty common that the first shot is far worse if you already had COVID.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/08/21 05:09 AM

Add me to the list of concerned Dawgs.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/08/21 10:53 AM

If it isn't, would they?

That's what I'm saying. Can you imagine the absolute crapfest that would ensue after that announcement? smh.

I wasn't sure, but after posting I started to lean that is what you meant. I suppose we will find out if a new wave of "Thalidomide babies" or some other infirmity hits the population at some point in the future, be it in the near or distant future.
Posted By: jfanent Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/08/21 11:35 AM
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg

Add me to the list of concerned Dawgs.

Somebody posted here not long ago that Vers left by choice, as did Tulsa. Haven't heard a thing about 40.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/08/21 01:32 PM
40 was a troll that left when donny lost as he knew he was on the losing side… a hard place to troll from. If donny had won 40 would still be here spreading his nonsense. Good riddance. Maybe he’s spending more time with his ‘gardener’…. Or lurking here as another troll poster…
Vers got tired of being called out for starting arguments…. While casting himself as the victim. He was a master of this play. He took his ball and left when the board finally saw through his game and called him out enough times. I liked Vers when he’d talk football. It just became less and less of his content.

Just calling it how I see it. I could be wrong.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/08/21 02:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

Update:

Embrace it! After I got my second Pfizer shot in the evening I woke up the next morning and could barely get out of bed I was so tired. Slept about 18 hrs that day and woke up refreshed the following morning like never before. It was fantastic.

I woke up this morning like nothing ever happened. What a weird experience.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/08/21 08:34 PM
I agree that 40 trolled a lot, but I had real convos with him too, especially early on when he was rather new to the board. He and I taking political shots at each other in EE in 2015 (and the angst created by Trump getting elected) is why we have PP today. He and I would never get along politically, but he was not just a troll IMHO. I actually liked him most of the time, even when I was mad at him for his Trump BS... "Trump got this!" drove me nuts.
Posted By: Dave Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/08/21 08:51 PM
I got the Pfizer vaccine shots, with no reaction to either one.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/10/21 09:31 PM
j/c...

Posted By: oobernoober Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/11/21 01:00 PM
While I haven't seen anything on it, my guess would be Moderna is not far behind.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/12/21 11:02 PM
j/c...

Posted By: jfanent Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/13/21 11:34 AM
I was hoping they'd wait until 75% of the adult population were vaccinated. Looks like we've hit or are quickly approaching that with the most vulnerable. I'm hoping people smarter than me are making this decision...I don't have a lot of faith in our elected leadership. Here's the current vax rate for Ohio.

Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/13/21 12:15 PM
Why worry about 75%?

Not to sound selfish, but if you have been vaccinated and are protected, that is all you can do. Fudge the other people. That is the choice they make.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/13/21 01:18 PM

Posted By: oobernoober Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/13/21 01:19 PM
So did we make it to the goal infection rate? DeWine said that he wouldn't lift the health orders until that hit a target.
Posted By: Jester Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/13/21 01:34 PM
An anti-vax conspiracy theory is apparently making anti-maskers consider masking up, social distancing
Peter Weber
Wed, May 12, 2021, 3:15 AM·1 min read

"A conspiracy ripping through the anti-vax world may finally drive some anti-maskers to do the unthinkable: wear a mask and keep their distance," Vice News reports. The conspiracy theory claims, falsely, that vaccinated people "shed" certain proteins that can infect unvaccinated people and cause some sort of harm, usually tied to reproduction. ("It is biologically impossible for a vaccinated person to spread the vaccine to someone who hasn't been vaccinated," The Associated Press says.)

For those who do believe that vaccinated people can somehow infect them with vaccine proteins — one private school in Miami barred vaccinated teachers from interacting with unvaccinated students — some "anti-vax influencers" are suggesting they protect themselves by "social distancing, the very strategy the have long decried," Vice reports. Others "conspiracy theorists are wondering if perhaps their longtime bane, the mask, could become their salvation."

Several people who study the anti-vax and anti-mask movements said they are skeptical mask-wearing will take hold in those communities. Other observers found the conundrum delightful and perhaps a little too perfect to be true.

In any case, "while the conspiracy is baseless, the fear it is causing vaccine skeptics is very real," Vice says. "And where there is a fear, there's money to be made." You can read more at Vice News.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/anti-vax-conspiracy-theory-apparently-071507094.html
Posted By: FATE Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/13/21 01:34 PM
I think Dewine, and everybody nationwide, are watching the numbers plummet and realizing critical mass is in the rear-view.
Posted By: TI84_Plus Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/13/21 01:59 PM

Update:

It was brutal the day after my second dose. Entire body hurt and I couldn't keep my eyes open. Only lasted a day though, felt basically back to normal two days after.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/13/21 05:33 PM
Ha! Hey, whatever works!
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/13/21 05:54 PM
So did we make it to the goal infection rate? DeWine said that he wouldn't lift the health orders until that hit a target.

Maybe he's lifting health orders to assist in hitting the target?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/13/21 06:36 PM
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847

Maybe he's lifting health orders to assist in hitting the target?

Not to turn this thread political, but it was quite likely that political pressure was the driving force.

Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/13/21 06:40 PM
There comes a point where the Governor looked around at other states that have eased up and didn't see dire results.

There just comes a point where it is time.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/13/21 06:44 PM
I doubt that. He's been getting political pressure for a very long time now. I believe it has a lot more to do with this....

CDC eases guidance on indoor mask-wearing for fully vaccinated

https://www.king5.com/article/news/healt...9b-43fd424d3cd8

At some point you have to allow the anti vaxxers to fend for themselves. No sense in continuing to punish those who did the right thing.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/13/21 07:00 PM
I agree on removing the mandates and am aware of the CDC announcement, but Ohio had recently passed a law stripping DeWine of continuing to issue health orders. The latest health order were nearing expiration and dropping the health orders now keeps the issue from going to court for the time being. Ohio SB 22 is set to go into effect on 6/23/21.

In the end, multiple factors played a role.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/13/21 07:10 PM
Since the CDC just dropped the mask order, DeWine going along with CDC guidelines, which he has done all along, happened before his mandates expired. Before any legal action would have happened by well over a month.

I think you may be searching for an answer that may not exist If one looks at the fact he has followed the CDC guidelines all along and his announcement coming at almost the exact same time the new CDC guidelines came out, there's not much controversy here.
Posted By: northlima dawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/13/21 09:21 PM
I am having somewhat of a hard time understanding why Ohio, Pa or the CDC are doing this.

Dewine said at different times that he would relax the restrictions when cases were at 50 per 100,000 for 2 weeks. The best I can remember was a number about 140 per 100,000.
Also, everyone said they would look at loosening restrictions when we got closer to herd immunity. According to the Mayo website, the percentage of Ohioans with one shot is 42.3%.
The percentage of people of the United States with one dose is 46.6% and fully vaccinated is only 35.6% as of May 12th. They have right on the chart that the vaccination goal is 80%-Never was going to happen and it really won't now.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/coronavirus-covid-19/vaccine-tracker

I got on the news for a few minutes and noted a bunch of places saying that concerts are going to go full bookings, bars and restaurant's are going to cram them back in and other than a few places (planes, hospitals) we are going to be able to go back to pre covid.

My wife just asked me what I thought-I told her if you want to go somewhere this summer-take the same precautions we would if covid was still raging and don't rearrange my office at home-I think that by Sept/October I am going to be back at home for a while again.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/14/21 11:29 AM
FDA just ok'd Pfizer vaccine for kids (12 and up, I think). I think that will have a positive effect and has yet to kick in.
Posted By: jfanent Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/14/21 01:36 PM
FDA just ok'd Pfizer vaccine for kids (12 and up, I think). I think that will have a positive effect and has yet to kick in.

As much as I am pro vaccination, I'm hesitant to get behind vaccinating developing bodies with literally no data on long term effects.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/14/21 01:43 PM

As much as I am pro vaccination, I'm hesitant to get behind vaccinating developing bodies with literally no data on long term effects.

I agree.
That said…(and saying this tongue in cheek on some level) In a few short years many of those same kids will be at a college putting all kinds of recreational chemistry into their bodies. Willingly and without thought of who made it, or who’s since ‘stepped on it’ l, or with what.
Just saying. Lol
Posted By: Rishuz Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/14/21 02:16 PM

My kids are 7. We are torn on them getting the vaccine for this reason. I am hoping the decision is out of our hands for as long as possible.
Posted By: jfanent Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/14/21 02:17 PM

I agree.
That said…(and saying this tongue in cheek on some level) In a few short years many of those same kids will be at a college putting all kinds of recreational chemistry into their bodies. Willingly and without thought of who made it, or who’s since ‘stepped on it’ l, or with what.
Just saying. Lol

So true, Lol. We get patients questioning or refusing every med they have ordered when their tox screen is positive for over half the things we test for.
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/14/21 04:06 PM
j/c:

My cousin's aunt (I didn't know her/never met her) got the Johnson & Johnson Covid vaccination. Two or three days later she died from a blood clot.

It's rare but it can happen.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/14/21 04:16 PM
Got my second Moderna at 3:31pm yesterday. By 730pm I was exhausted. Went to bed around 930 and woke up at 3:23am with a fever and massive headache...fever is gone but the headache and odd body aches still exist (my feet and toes are really sore). And of course, the standard sore arm.

Shot 1 was just being really tired about 24-36 hours after the shot and of course sore arm. I am surprised that shot 2 hit me pretty much at the 12 hour mark. I didn't expect that.

This said, I'm hydrating (might need to slow down, I'm at 30 ounces at 9am) and took some ibuprofen...and am looking forward to some normalcy, if that exists still.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/14/21 04:33 PM
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
j/c:

My cousin's aunt (I didn't know her/never met her) got the Johnson & Johnson Covid vaccination. Two or three days later she died from a blood clot.

It's rare but it can happen.

Sorry to hear about the loss in the family. Blood clots from the J&J vaccine are rare, but that doesn’t change those they effect. Both the patient and the family.

Just posting this for some general perspective. Not to dismiss the reality.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/14/21 04:57 PM
Got my second Moderna at 3:31pm yesterday. By 730pm I was exhausted. Went to bed around 930 and woke up at 3:23am with a fever and massive headache...fever is gone but the headache and odd body aches still exist (my feet and toes are really sore). And of course, the standard sore arm.

Shot 1 was just being really tired about 24-36 hours after the shot and of course sore arm. I am surprised that shot 2 hit me pretty much at the 12 hour mark. I didn't expect that.

This said, I'm hydrating (might need to slow down, I'm at 30 ounces at 9am) and took some ibuprofen...and am looking forward to some normalcy, if that exists still.

i got my second moderna on tuesday. i was so worried about feeling like garbage since the second shot has been trouble for so many, but other than feeling achy for a bit, and the sore arm, i am good. i am glad i am past all this, and am looking forward to things getting back to normal

the city i live in hosted their own event, put on by police and fire, it was well organized, and i was in and out in 20 minutes, most of which was the monitoring period.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/14/21 05:06 PM
Bill Maher just tested positive for covid and he was fully vaccinated. He is asymptomatic though.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/14/21 05:23 PM
Which is the exact purpose of the vaccine. Keeping you asymptomatic.

I posted earlier in one of the COVID threads that a friend’s father just died of COVID after being vaccinated. He had a kidney transplant in his past and was immune compromised because of this. The vaccine wasn’t enough to hold it back in him. It’s not perfect. In general though the vaccine will keep the typical person asymptomatic and out of the hospital.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/14/21 05:49 PM
In general though the vaccine will keep the typical person asymptomatic and out of the hospital.

And that's the important part.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/14/21 06:11 PM
It is the important part. It’s also a reality check that the virus is still being passed from person to person. This is the reason why we should still be making smart choices and erring on the side of caution. Not just for ourselves but for those around us.
Posted By: jfanent Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/14/21 06:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

My kids are 7. We are torn on them getting the vaccine for this reason. I am hoping the decision is out of our hands for as long as possible.

That is one tough call. I feel for the parents that have to make it.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/14/21 07:15 PM
Part of gaining authorization for younger people is presenting data that the vaccine should be safe enough. Ultimately, it's up to the patient and parent.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/14/21 08:48 PM
As I have mentioned several times, I have always been somewhat of a germaphobe. I have been a hand sanitizer in the pocket person for a long time.

To be honest, I don't mind wearing a mask in public, and was thinking about doing it as a regular part of the plan where large groups gather.

Now with the president saying only non-vaccinated people have to wear masks, even though I have been vaccinated, I wonder if his statements will place a brand on my head if I choose to continue to wear a mask?

I don't like the idea of catching a cold from someone, stranger or not. I don't want to catch anything.
Posted By: northlima dawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/14/21 09:27 PM
Rochelle Walensky, MD, MPH @CDCDirector
If you are fully vaccinated against #COVID19, you can now start doing things that you had stopped doing because of the pandemic. You can participate in indoor and outdoor activities - large or small - without wearing a mask or physically distancing
We have all longed for this moment - when we can get back to some sense of normalcy " and that moment has come for those who are fully vaccinated! CDC's update for those fully vaccinated against #COVID19 is based on science about vaccine effectiveness, variants, and transmission.
Your health and how soon you return to the life you had before the #COVID19 pandemic are in your very capable hands. If you are unvaccinated, you remain at risk of illness, death, or spreading the disease to others. Get vaccinated & continue to #WearAMask until fully vaccinated.

The White House @WhiteHouse
Big news from the CDC: If you're fully vaccinated, you do not need to wear a mask--indoors or outdoors, in most settings.

We've gotten this far. Whether you choose to get vaccinated or wear a mask, please protect yourself until we get to the finish line.

I don't know if this is going to come back and bite them or not. But it is somewhat confusing and probably too early.
The cases are down some but Fauci said about a month ago that they should not do something like this until the case load falls much more than this.

And for future reference-In the last couple days the United States has had about 35,000-38,000 new cases per day and around 700-800 deaths. We shall see if these numbers go up
Posted By: FATE Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/14/21 09:35 PM
Pretty surprised myself. At Easter, while going through the usual "when will this ever end?" with the family (most of my family seems to think it will go on for years), I predicted masks down by Independence Day -- they all said I was crazy... Here we are, a month earlier, and yes, it feels early.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/14/21 09:49 PM
I would think this makes it more risky for the unvaccinated... I almost wonder if they think a spike in the unvaccinated dying will convince them to get the vaccine. I think it's too soon as well but fast food needs employees, so putting this out might help that somewhat... no idea why they seem to be jumping the gun.

What I know right now today is that I can't go to my doctor or the hospital and get in without a mask and a symptoms check. And most of the admin offices are closed to the public. I called with a billing question and was told I could not come in and we would resolve it via mail showing proof a bill was paid. So if this remains in place after June 2, I'm not taking the chances yet.
Posted By: FATE Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/14/21 10:50 PM
It may just be "hey, you've been warned, if you want to be a laboratory rat, have at it". These situations all need to play out regardless. There was no way around the fact that many people would refuse to be vaccinated.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: COVID-19 vaccine - 05/15/21 04:04 AM
j/c

I'm struggling right now to understand a lot of things.

Fauci is telling everyone to get vaccinated. That's great. I got the vaccine.

But..............when even his employees are only at a 50-60% vaccinated rate?

What?

© DawgTalkers.net