DawgTalkers.net
https://variety.com/2021/music/news/charlie-watts-rolling-stones-drummer-dead-dies-1235047778/

Drummer Charlie Watts, whose adept, powerful skin work propelled the Rolling Stones for more than half a century, died in London on Tuesday morning, according to his spokesperson. No cause of death was cited; he was 80.

A statement from the band and Watts’ spokesperson reads: “It is with immense sadness that we announce the death of our beloved Charlie Watts. He passed away peacefully in a London hospital earlier today surrounded by his family.

“Charlie was a cherished husband, father and grandfather and also a member of the Rolling Stones one of the greatest drummers of his generation.

“We kindly request that the privacy of his family, band members and close friends is respected at this difficult time.”

Very sad to hear this.

I always liked and admired him.

Recently, I watched an interview with him. Something he rarely did.

A introverted guy very unassuming. Came across as a very gentle man. Never considered himself special. Just saw himself as a member of a popular band.

RIP Charlie
Posted By: AZBrown Re: RIP Charlie Watts of The Rolling Stones. - 08/24/21 05:54 PM
j/c -

I picked up his solo album "Warm and Tender" some years back. Good stuff, jazz standards. A very talented drummer.

RIP
RIP Charlie. Thanks for the music and memories.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: RIP Charlie Watts of The Rolling Stones. - 08/24/21 05:55 PM
Way back then it was the Stones, the Beatles and the Monkees.

May you rest in peace Mr. Charlie Watts.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: RIP Charlie Watts of The Rolling Stones. - 08/24/21 06:23 PM
It's like many things we try to refuse to admit that's coming. Things we grew up with and expect to stand the test of time. But the calling card eventually comes due.

The longer I live the more things like this will happen. It should serve to remind us all of our own mortality.

A sad day for R&R indeed. RIP Charlie and my condolences to your family, friends and fans around the globe.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: RIP Charlie Watts of The Rolling Stones. - 08/24/21 07:25 PM

I made a pact with myself.

I have to outlive Keith Richards. For someone who has done as much drugs and done all he has done that we don't know.

It can not be right for him to outlive me.
Posted By: jfanent Re: RIP Charlie Watts of The Rolling Stones. - 08/24/21 08:43 PM
Charlie would have probably been my last pick of which of the modern era of the Stones would pass.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: RIP Charlie Watts of The Rolling Stones. - 08/24/21 09:47 PM
Honky Tonk Women

Posted By: Dave Re: RIP Charlie Watts of The Rolling Stones. - 08/24/21 09:50 PM
From a 2016 interview with Keith Richards (and Charlie Watts):

'Keith Richards clearly thinks of Charlie what everybody else thinks of Keith – that he’s the heart and soul of the Rolling Stones personified: “I can never say enough about Charlie Watts,” Keith had told me a couple of weeks before. “It was the luckiest day for this band and myself personally the day that we got to play with such a drummer. With Charlie I never have to worry where the backbeat is. I mean, hey – if you’re talking about rock ’n roll, the drummer is the hidden hero basically.” '

https://www.loudersound.com/features/int...stones-in-exile

Rest in peace, Charlie Watts.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: RIP Charlie Watts of The Rolling Stones. - 08/25/21 04:42 PM

The Stones.

The music business is about as tough a business you can find.

For a band to still be playing rock and roll after close to 60 years is unbelievable.

I saw the Stones at the Akron Rubber Bowl in 1972. Stevie Wonder opened the show.

At the time I had graduated from Kent in 1971.

The Stones and the music of the time went through your cells everyday. It was an amazing time to be young.
Locked in on the groove, Charlie was. I was sad to hear of his passing.
© DawgTalkers.net