DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:40 AM
fabulous effort on the road. Our future is very bright
Posted By: Vambo Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:41 AM
Thank you Browns!
Posted By: Swish Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:42 AM
what a game.

I dont want to hear about Baker choking. this was an amazing game. so many twist and turns, ups and downs, but man....what a game.

our future is bright. and BAKER BREAKS THE ROOKIE PASSING TD RECORD!
Posted By: jaybird Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:43 AM
Great comeback... tough ending... hope we get the coaching staff right...
Posted By: lionchamp29 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:45 AM
im ok with baker....his teamates need to help him out....landry drop off his face....njoku drop...missed fg, ref likes to blow early...
Posted By: Swish Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:45 AM
this was a playoff game. these guys got a great taste of what it takes to win now. what it takes to make it. i know its moral victory and all, but man, i loved this game.

Baker.....man oh man we got our guy. no more going into the draft wondering if we have to draft a QB
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:45 AM
I also liked that our D stepped up at the end finally too
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:47 AM
It’ll be EXTREMELY MOTIVATING for these guys this off season ...

Bake likes Chips for his shoulder .... he’s sure got one now ... thumbsup
Posted By: jaybird Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:47 AM
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
It’ll be EXTREMELY MOTIVATING for these guys this off season ...

Bake likes Chips for his shoulder .... he’s sure got one now ... thumbsup

No kidding... he'll be thinking of thwt last throw for awhile....
Posted By: The Big G Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:48 AM
We are not a joke anymore. Nobody sees us on the schedule and licks their chops.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:49 AM
Anyone remember Troy Williamson? I think he came out in 05, had had some of the worst drops you ever saw...Well Landry looked identical to him on that drop...He had that excellent catch near the end.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:49 AM
And the miss to Landry before that ...

LETS GOOOOOOOoooooooo .....

Damm .. this is gonna be a LONG BUTT OFF SEASON ....
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:49 AM
I think we need a lot more speed on defense, especially if we're going to face this team for the division next year.

We need another penetrating DT, or 2 .... another pass rusher if you can get one ..... a pair of OLB, and another CB. On offense, 1 more big WR, maybe another TE, and some OL depth.

Oh, and a PK who can make kicks.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:50 AM
Did Chubb get his 1k?
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:50 AM
What a way to fight back. This game could have ended ugly and early. We were up against a superior opponent on the road and nearly pulled it off. The future is bright if we get the coaching decision right.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:51 AM
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
Did Chubb get his 1k?

No. He lost it on his last carry.
Posted By: boofers20 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:51 AM
Did Chubb get his 1k?

Nope 996 yards
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:52 AM
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
Did Chubb get his 1k?

Another reason to hate on kitchens playcalling. No excuse
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:52 AM
Agreed. Baker passed for 376 yards against the leagues best D. That's something to hang your hat on!!
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:53 AM
Did Chubb get his 1k?

nope....ended with 996 yds.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:53 AM
What a way to fight back. This game could have ended ugly and early. We were up against a superior opponent on the road and nearly pulled it off. The future is bright if we get the coaching decision right.

Wish we won bro .... BUT I LOVED IT ...

I LOVE THIS TEAM ....

Best part ... i called my brother and g/f when they were reviewing that play .... both stiler fans ... told them i figure this may be the only time in my life i can get an HONEST GO BROWNS from them ....

My g/f shouted it out right away ... my brother needed a 2nd take ... *LOL* ...
Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:53 AM
There is a lot to look forward to for the Browns.

I have to admit, Baker Mayfield is starting to grow on me. I sincerely hope he can keep it going. No one is perfect, but Mayfield played well enough as a rookie for there to be good reason for a lot of hope.

Hopefully we get the coaching part right. I'd keep Willaims and Co if it was me and let the team grow with them, but maybe we already have a big name guy ready to sign(McCarthy) i dunno, guess we will find out soon.

Either way, This was a fun season. Thanks Browns!
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:54 AM
Some are blaming anyone they can. Go for it. You like whining. It's some guys comfort zone.

Cleveland Browns football for a good portion of 2018 was relevant and most of all exciting. I haven't been able to say that in a long damn time!
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:55 AM
When was the last time a game against a Division Rival had such meaning ?

It was fun ..it was close...The rookies won't be rooks next season..the younger guys just got a little more seasoned...
Posted By: Cincy_Dawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:55 AM
Whistle-nado!
Posted By: boofers20 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:55 AM
I never expected to finish 7-8-1, a very bright future ahead of us if we can retain our staff and avoid major injuries, which I think was the key this year, no major injuries
Posted By: rastanplan Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:55 AM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I think we need a lot more speed on defense, especially if we're going to face this team for the division next year.

We need another penetrating DT, or 2 .... another pass rusher if you can get one ..... a pair of OLB, and another CB. On offense, 1 more big WR, maybe another TE, and some OL depth.

Oh, and a PK who can make kicks.

IMHO we need a good MLB and a SS...

The middle of our D is bad and its our weakest point, IMHO, that and the Kicker.

I also feel that Duke is way overrated.....

I trust Dorsey
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:56 AM
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg

It was fun ..it was close...The rookies won't be rooks next season..the younger guys just got a little more seasoned...

LETS GOOOOOOOooooooooooo ...

Is it next year yet ..... LETS GOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:57 AM
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg

Time flies! It'll be a most interesting off season. Real players will want to play here.

LETS GOOOOOOOooooooooooo ...

Is it next year yet ..... LETS GOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:57 AM
We ran the ball 14 times. Inexcusable. I think we should have stuck with it more
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:57 AM
We ran the ball 14 times. Inexcusable. I think we should have stuck with it more

We lost by one point.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:58 AM
- We finally have guys that step up and make big plays.

- I'm still amazed by what Perriman has contributed.

- Any other typical losing season Randall and Ogunjobi don't bother coming back in the game. The culture is changing.

- I'd be in full meltdown mode right now had the Browns needed a win to go to the playoffs.

- This team has an extremely bright future and I couldn't be more excited.

- Baker and Lamar will make Browns vs Ravens a great rivalry.

- Bummed the season is over.

- I have know idea what Dorsey is going to do about the HC position.

- Baker set the NFL rookie QB record for most TD passes in just 13 starts.

- Nich Chubb came four yards short of reaching 1000 yards rushing and spent the early part of the season on the bench.

- After all these years/decades, blown draft picks, double digit losing seasons, we finally have our franchise QB and Baker is the perfect guy to be that QB for this city.

- The Browns are finally fun again.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:58 AM
Proud of the team. Great road effort against a legit team.

John Dorsey, it's your turn.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:58 AM
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Agreed. Baker passed for 376 yards against the leagues best D. That's something to hang your hat on!!

And doing it when we only rushed for 50 yards...Baker carried us today.
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:59 AM
I STAND I APPLAUD, I LOVE THIS FOOTBALL TEAM...

We are clearly on the verge of a dynasty. We left some plays on the field, next year we make those plays.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 12:59 AM
Did Chubb get his 1k?

Another reason to hate on kitchens playcalling. No excuse

Yeah, he sucked.

Baltimore, the #1 scoring defense in the NFL ... brutal on QBs .....and we were driving for the win on our final drive. We scored 24 points against them. That's a TD more than they give up on average. For comparison's sake, the Chiefs scored 27. The Steelers scored 26 and 23 in their games against the Ravens. We were right there with them, in Baltimore's most important game of the season.

Baker also set the all time rookie TD pass record. All time. That doesn't happen without Kitchens taking over the offense. He got Baker's processing speed through the roof. Just because we lost to a very good team, by 2 points, doesn't mean that he is some bum.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:00 AM
I would not want Dorsey's job.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:01 AM
Happy with this team and can't wait to see 2019 come for us ...
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:03 AM
--This is an extremely unpopular take judging from the reaction I got in the game day thread, but I wanted to see Baker deliver a game winning drive against the #1 defense and division rival. I wanted to see this for the following reasons:

a) Baker has had his biggest games against the worst Ds this year.
b) Baker choked in the college football playoff against UGA, the biggest college football game of his career.
c) Baker likes to show his arse, as my dad likes to say. He needs to back it up on the field.
d) Franchise QBs should deliver when they have the ball last. That's all you can ask for as a franchise QB to have the ball last. He had it. Had favorable field position. He failed. The third down throw to Landry was Baker's nerves getting the best of him. He's made that throw two dozen times this year - all on the mark. A defender was coming but he rushed the throw. That was game over; well, depending on Joseph.

Before anyone gets overly emotional, I'm thrilled with Baker. Glad he's a Cleveland Brown. I'm not mad about the loss. I'm not saying this out of emotion. But he choked, and I wanted to see a signature win against a team that we face twice a year and that has pushed us around. And I'm not saying he will never deliver in those instances. But he talks so much; he needs to deliver.

--I also think everyone is getting way ahead of themselves about next season. People are acting like we are going to waltz into next season, claim the division title, and be hosting a playoff game. I just think a lot of pieces have to fall into place for that and nothing is a given. We are certainly better off than we have ever been with Baker as a building block and the potential is there, but there are still a number of unknowns and all the other teams will be working on getting better too. That's another reason I wanted Baker to deliver the victory today. I think that would have gone a long way into building the confidence for next year.

--Hey, at least the Browns covered. Won a ton of money on that.
Posted By: sk8termom Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:04 AM
good try Cleveland! So much improvement from last season.
Posted By: HewDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:04 AM
Team fought really well. Now that that has been said, I HATE saying that after a game because it means one thing: Browns lost.

Great adjustments by the D in the second half to slow own the run. We have a good core group of players that are just a few pieces away from being elite.

The Offensive line did well with giving Baker just enough to get the pass off. Too bad the ground game got taken out. Really thought we should have set up some screens, draws, or some misdirection RPO after the Jarvis review on the final drive. We were set up to play for the field goal and place the ball where the kicker was most likely to make it.

The biggest reason this hurts is because we have seen the difference a coach can make THIS year. A win would have given Haslam a second thought if Dorsey suggested a hire other than Williams and Co. after the interview process was done. Maybe I'm a battered dawg, but now I fear that we will somehow mess this up by hiring the wrong coach who will gut this team, fill it with his guys, and we regress. A win would have given me hope because we would have been on a 5 game win streak with 4 wins in the division and hope into next year.

We go into next year with a lot of questions and a loss to end the season. Nice momentum for 2019 Browns football.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:05 AM
Sucks for Chubb. Tough way to lose 1,000
Posted By: jachba Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:05 AM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
- We finally have guys that step up and make big plays.

- I'm still amazed by what Perriman has contributed.

- Any other typical losing season Randall and Ogunjobi don't bother coming back in the game. The culture is changing.

- I'd be in full meltdown mode right now had the Browns needed a win to go to the playoffs.

- This team has an extremely bright future and I couldn't be more excited.

- Baker and Lamar will make Browns vs Ravens a great rivalry.

- Bummed the season is over.

- I have know idea what Dorsey is going to do about the HC position.

- Baker set the NFL rookie QB record for most TD passes in just 13 starts.

- Nich Chubb came four yards short of reaching 1000 yards rushing and spent the early part of the season on the bench.

- After all these years/decades, blown draft picks, double digit losing seasons, we finally have our franchise QB and Baker is the perfect guy to be that QB for this city.

- The Browns are finally fun again.

Agreed. I enjoy watching your team and I'm a Charger fan.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:07 AM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Sucks for Chubb. Tough way to lose 1,000

I bet it was on the staffs mind. The situation just didn't dictate we try to get it for him. Tough, tough day for the rookie.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:07 AM
yeah I agree .. I thought they MIGHT try to run him on a draw the last drive when we got the last first
Posted By: Niolen Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:10 AM
That one hurts.

Unfortunately, they lacked that last bit of sharpness. Poor execution from players in critical situations, and poor management from Gregg Williams, led to the game being decided by the failed 4th & 10.

Fortunately, the future is bright. The team is talented. The team made a ton of progress throughout the season. They have an offseason of opportunity in front of them. And I bet this hungry team is going to use the bitter taste in their mouth to fuel their training programs.

But I can’t wait for next year.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:11 AM
What a game. No fingernails left.

Baker is the real deal!

Feel bad for Chubb, but he didn't play the whole season.

Defense took a little too long to adjust, but I think they set the template on how to stop them.

Did anybody see on the second down throw on the last possession to Njoku. In the replay the guy was pulling him by the back of his jersey. Oh well.

To win seven games after going 1-31 is one heck of an improvement. The base of this team is set, now it's time for Dorsey to load it up for the playoff run next year.

Think of how many 1 and 2 year players were on the field, we are set for the next 5-6 years.

Was bummed we lost, until I saw the view of Heinz Field and all the dejected steelers. It almost feels like we won.

Great game, great season, the future is bright.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:13 AM
I think though, at long last, notice has been served. We're NOT two easy wins per season anymore. We're fully capable of busting some skulls and ruining your day.

Gotta love it!
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:14 AM
Since the rebirth.. the Browns FINALLY have a team that can compete with ANYONE! ANYONE! So many years of waiting, and hoping.. FINALLY.

Also, the AFC North respects us after this one! Believe it! Heck, the NFL respects us. No more laughing stock of the league!

- We should have ran the ball more.
- That last drive trying to get in FG range after the Landry catch... On 1st and 2nd down, we should have called something up for Duke Johnson to counter the blitz. We gotta give him that shot.
- Baker has to get that pass in front of his WR's that last drive. I don't expect any QB to be perfect, but just saying. Landry had us in FG range, but bad pass.
- The defense adjusted a little too late, but I'm so glad they were able to overcome that gimmick booty Georgia Tech offense. As a UGA guy, I can't stand seeing all that motion, fake hand-off crap. Let your QB be a QB, not a running back! I want Lamar to do well, but they have no regard for his body. He's gonna get hurt.

I'm proud of my Browns. Finally feel optimistic because of what our guys did on the field.. not just optimistic just off a glimmer of hope. This is so different.

Go Browns.. and I'm super happy the Steelers are sitting at home!
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:14 AM
--Ogunjobi is not human. Since the "protocol" was developed, does anyone else remember a player leaving for an obvious concussion and coming back?
Posted By: Swish Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:14 AM
i think we need to stop judging baker like he's been in the league for 6 years.

he's a rookie.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:16 AM
Originally Posted By: Swish

he's a rookie.

If this was in response to my post, I think that's fair. There's a lot of football ahead for him and the Browns. Want to see some signature wins next year though. And just wish he didn't choke in this game. It was right there. He makes the pass to Landry and that should technically be game over.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:17 AM

he's a rookie.

And thank you sir! Nobody's more unhappy than him and it'll e on his mind come next July. Kid will work his butt off no doubt.
Posted By: jb52 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:18 AM
Are you serious, wow. I don’t even know what to say.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:19 AM

he's a rookie.

I agree. Brown's fans are acting like he is one of the best two qbs in the league. He's a rookie and still has a lot to prove to reach that status.

Wait! What?

That's not how you meant it?

LOL................just joking, man.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:20 AM
First of all, CONGRATS TO BAKER FOR BREAKING PEYTON MANNINGS ROOKIE TD RECORD!!

I was happy after that happened and the rest of the game didn't mean so much to me. I wanted a win, and at the end, the game was ours to win/lose and we lost.

I felt like we got a bit conservative with the throws on that last set of downs. Shoulda just ran some normal passing routes.

And what a weird freakin time at the bar. It was like the twilight zone.

When Steelers fans are rooting for the Browns and coming up to me saying Go Browns.

And then coming over to buy us shots on the last drive because we needed to score.

But then we lost, and I had to go over to them and pat them on the shoulder and tell them "Sorry we couldn't pull it out for you. Better luck next year."

Meanwhile my inner troll is gleaming and I had guilty conscience.

And then the Ravens fan comes over and was like "I saw you rooting for your team every week here. That was a really good game we had." and I was like "Yeah, your defense played well on the last drive. (because they did). Enjoy your playoffs."

I was happy for the Baltimore fan. He was cool.

But that was just a really weird gameday scenario at the bar today. lol

I'm really pleased with this season, couldn't be happier for our team, and absolutely thrilled with our rookies and young players.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:20 AM
Quote:
no more going into the draft wondering if we have to draft a QB

Nope..now they have to go into the draft wondering if they can get another guy who scores..... a FG kicker
Posted By: bonefish Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:21 AM

This game disappoints me. I really thought we would have been better prepared defensively.

I don't get the mystery of what the Ravens were doing.

Collins had many opportunities to make plays and did not.

I expected us to put Peppers in run support up the middle?

We did not adjust defensively till later in the second half?

We need a better field goal kicker.

GW throw the red flag.

Baker was off and on but I do give some credit to the Raven defense. They made plays.

We can learn from this. And I think we will.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:24 AM
The crap you and leadtheway in the Game Day Thread is nauseating to say the least.

Anyone notice the blatant hold on weddle on the 2nd down play after they got to the 39. Unbelievable - came running in and then reversed course and basically ripped Duke out of the play -
believe it was duke - no holding.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:26 AM
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
First of all, CONGRATS TO BAKER FOR BREAKING PEYTON MANNINGS ROOKIE TD RECORD!!

I was happy after that happened and the rest of the game didn't mean so much to me. I wanted a win, and at the end, the game was ours to win/lose and we lost.

I felt like we got a bit conservative with the throws on that last set of downs. Shoulda just ran some normal passing routes.

And what a weird freakin time at the bar. It was like the twilight zone.

When Steelers fans are rooting for the Browns and coming up to me saying Go Browns.

And then coming over to buy us shots on the last drive because we needed to score.

But then we lost, and I had to go over to them and pat them on the shoulder and tell them "Sorry we couldn't pull it out for you. Better luck next year."

Meanwhile my inner troll is gleaming and I had guilty conscience.

And then the Ravens fan comes over and was like "I saw you rooting for your team every week here. That was a really good game we had." and I was like "Yeah, your defense played well on the last drive. (because they did). Enjoy your playoffs."

I was happy for the Baltimore fan. He was cool.

But that was just a really weird gameday scenario at the bar today. lol

I'm really pleased with this season, couldn't be happier for our team, and absolutely thrilled with our rookies and young players.

I was sitting amongts eagles fans at one point they started chanting here we go Brownies just for the fun of it.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:26 AM
Romo hit it on the head too - playing that offense - should have 5 DL. Just like HS.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:27 AM
I hope Dorsey can pull off another home run offseason. Congrats to Baker on the record. Refs cost us big this game and this year if you ask me.

Props to Baltimore's running game, unbelievable! We finally slowed it down, but will need a solid plan for them next year. Lamar won some respect from me today, but I still think we landed by far the best QB.

Losing this one IMHO will pay dividends next season. Mayfield and his team will not accept another losing season if they can do anything to stop it.

Great leap forward after firing Hue, can't wait for next year.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:27 AM
Baker just had one of the best rookie QB Seasons of all time... He did it playing for the then 1-31 Browns. He put up 300+ yards of passing yardage twice this season against the NFL's best D... The only other QB to do that this year was Mahomes. We were driving for the win ....

You're welcome to your opinion, but I think your criteria for judging our Rookie QB might be a little off.

As for Baker showing his arse, can you elaborate? Other than his obvious dislike and disdain for Hue ... What exacting he done to show his arse in the NFL?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:27 AM
i did like our adjustment with the DL though. That changed the game IMO
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:27 AM
We pick 17th instead of 1st. smile
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:29 AM
Originally Posted By: DaveyD
We pick 17th instead of 1st. smile

What are we gonna do for the first 2 hours of the draft? Usually its pick one and I'm off to something else!
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:30 AM
Originally Posted By: Hammer
The crap you and leadtheway in the Game Day Thread is nauseating to say the least.

That's lead, not me.

I only made the one comment about Mayfield choking.

You guys are way too emotional.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:32 AM
this was a playoff game. these guys got a great taste of what it takes to win now. what it takes to make it. i know its moral victory and all, but man, i loved this game.

Baker.....man oh man we got our guy. no more going into the draft wondering if we have to draft a QB

I was having that conversation with my son.....we lost the game, but as far as I am concerned, out guys got a taste of playoff football.

Not to nit-pick, but i sure wish we had run a draw or called a screen on that last drive. I would have liked to have nudged the ball a little closer to realistic fieldgoal distance.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:32 AM
j/c...

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:33 AM
Thoughts on the game:

--This team has arrived. We are so much better w/Dorsey than we were w/Sashi. The roster is much improved.

--The team is playing so much more discipline w/Williams than they were w/Hue.

--Kitchens is light years better than Haley.

--Glad all three are gone and I think it's time to move on, but I doubt that the Sashi lovers will be able to do so.

--Baker made some mistakes. He was inaccurate on some throws. All he had to do was lead Landry out of bounds on that last drive, but he threw it inside. And while Landry should have caught the one off his face mask, if Baker throws the ball out in front of him it is an easy TD. He was inaccurate on several throws.

--On the other hand, Baker made some very accurate throws where he put the ball in front of the receiver and let them run or dropped in a dime on the sideline. He also played w/big stones and never backed down.

--Overall, I think we have our qb of the future. That is such a relief.

--Our OL was outstanding against the league's best defense. I'm so impressed by this unit. I never imagined they would be this good.

--Our WRs and TEs are really improving. We just need one big WR.

--We need a DT. Ogunjobi is good, but he's light and gets pushed around. Coley is okay, but would be better as the 3rd dude. Ogbah played inside some and couldn't hold up.

--We need one more edge rusher. Avery and Ogbah can be rotational guys.

--Collins played okay for the most part, but blew a couple of plays.

--Peppers is good against the run, but got beat up in coverage today.

--We need another corner.

--I want to keep the coaches, but man, how do you call a TO and then not challenge? This place would be blowing up if Hue had done that.

--I also do not get not challenging that spot when Baltimore was awarded the first down in the 4th quarter. He was clearly short. If Gregg stays, we need to hire a guy to manage the clock and challenge plays.

--The Lamar fumble that was blown dead was a huge play. Peppers would have scored. It's a shame, but there were bad calls against both teams. Man, there were so many close calls in this game.

--Overall, it was a very enjoyable game and I haven't felt this good about the team in a long, long time.
Posted By: HewDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:34 AM
Just listened to Gregg Williams. He is a true "players coach"!
Posted By: Swish Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:34 AM
i agree, atleast one run play that drive might have worked since they were expecting pass the entire drive. and we have plenty of time on the clock and a TO to run a play like that.
Posted By: s003apr Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:34 AM

I don't agree at all. running and short throws is where we got ourselves in trouble, but we exposed the Ravens weakness when we threw down field. I think we showed everyone else how to beat this defense. Our success rate the throws of 20+ yards had to be extremely good.
Posted By: Psydeffect Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:35 AM
Not disappointed at all with today's game.

We have a young exciting up and coming QB with confidence and attitude. Something this team has been lacking for 2 decades.

Can't wait for next year!
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:36 AM
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Baker just had one of the best rookie QB Seasons of all time... He did it playing for the then 1-31 Browns. He put up 300+ yards of passing yardage twice this season against the NFL's best D... The only other QB to do that this year was Mahomes. We were driving for the win ....

You're welcome to your opinion, but I think your criteria for judging our Rookie QB might be a little off.

As for Baker showing his arse, can you elaborate? Other than his obvious dislike and disdain for Hue ... What exacting he done to show his arse in the NFL?

If you are going to stare down your ex-coach and call him fake in the media, back it up on the field. He responds with "I don't care" when the media asks him to address it. He's showing his arse.

Before you get ahead of yourself, I know where you are going with this. I don't really have to much of an issue with any of it. I prefer he didn't do it, but I think there's a lot of merit when fans point out that he's only done it to Hue and Baker appears to be a player's player and good with other coaches and players. So I am not really in that camp that is overly criticizing him for it. I prefer he didn't do it, but I'm not overly criticizing it either.

But if you are going to do those things, back it up. He choked today, plain and simple. It doesn't mean he always will, and it doesn't mean he won't again. But he did today. He failed to do the most important thing he was supposed to do today. Lead his team to a win.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:36 AM
Can you make just one post that contains your own thoughts and is not centered around criticizing others for their opinions?

Sheesh man!
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:37 AM
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

That's lead, not me.

I only made the one comment about Mayfield choking.

You guys are way too emotional.

I haven't read all the posts, but any posts about baker choking are to many. The guy didn't choke. He was playing maybe the best D in the league, and we lost by 2, which included a missed field goal and a TD by the D that was botched by the officials.

Be real.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:39 AM
I am not usually overly impressed or disappointed w/coaches in the NFL...........but I think Freddie Kitchens designs some excellent plays.

The dude gets us into some extremely favorable match ups where guys come wide open and where we have very good protection.

I truly hope we keep Kitchens. He is light years ahead of Haley.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:40 AM
And just wish he didn't choke in this game. It was right there. He makes the pass to Landry and that should technically be game over

Again, Interesting perspective to pin all the blame on Baker and his one play or one drive. No mention of the porous first half D or playing against the NFLs best D... And it's cool to pin the loss entirely on the rookies play?

For myself I'd say He had an up and down game. Bad decisions and bad throws for the interceptions. Definitely missed a couple of open receivers in the final drive. . . . Hopefully he improves. But I'd also suggest that he had some good play in there too, and was part of the reason we were driving for the win .... Future looks bright.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:40 AM
GC. The Running game was better on the first drive than most of the rest of the game.

In the First half: Every play the Browns tried to the left side on offense either ended with a

Bad Result, or a Very Bad Result.

Don't go left!
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Can you make just one post that contains your own thoughts and is not centered around criticizing others for their opinions?

Sheesh man!

It's a discussion board. If I don't agree with an opinion I'm going to express that.

On the other hand your post is just another aggressive, antagonistic post intended to inflame and start a fight.

If we wait a bit we'll see you claim to be a victim too.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:44 AM
I am not usually overly impressed or disappointed w/coaches in the NFL...........but I think Freddie Kitchens designs some excellent plays.

The dude gets us into some extremely favorable match ups where guys come wide open and where we have very good protection.

I truly hope we keep Kitchens. He is light years ahead of Haley.

I do too! Once in a while he gets a little too gimmicky and often at maybe the wrong time. But really, like Baker can we not say he's still cutting his coaching teeth so to speak? I think he's young and promising and understands his players capabilities. Mix in experience and I see huge promise in him. I hope he gets plenty of consideration. I'd hate to eventually regret a rash decision to send him packing.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:44 AM
Somebody tell Baker, No Quarterback has ever thrown 5 Td passes for 19 consecutive games, in one year.
And tell him he can't either, Ain't No Way!
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:44 AM
Again, Interesting perspective to pin all the blame on Baker and his one play or one drive.

You just described the entire NFL. This is what most games come down to. If people are expecting 38-10 games all the time, they are going to be severely disappointed.

This is why franchise QBs are so important.

Baker only delivered against poor Ds this year. There's no reason to think he won't improve and that he will have many signature wins in his career. It would have been cool if he got one today.

I also think it would have sewn up OROY for him as well.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:47 AM
Blah, blah, blah.
Posted By: Swish Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:48 AM
jc

so on another note, any thoughts on gregg williams potentially giving the league the blueprint to stop lamar and the run game?

that 4th quarter adjustment we saw where the d line condensed in the middle was simply beautiful, and more importantly, worked.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:49 AM

If you are going to stare down your ex-coach and call him fake in the media, back it up on the field. He responds with "I don't care" when the media asks him to address it. He's showing his arse.

Before you get ahead of yourself, I know where you are going with this. I don't really have to much of an issue with any of it. I prefer he didn't do it, but I think there's a lot of merit when fans point out that he's only done it to Hue and Baker appears to be a player's player and good with other coaches and players. So I am not really in that camp that is overly criticizing him for it. I prefer he didn't do it, but I'm not overly criticizing it either.

But if you are going to do those things, back it up. He choked today, plain and simple. It doesn't mean he always will, and it doesn't mean he won't again. But he did today. He failed to do the most important thing he was supposed to do today. Lead his team to a win.

I agree with everything except the choking part... And for me he has absolutely backed up his attitude with his play.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:51 AM
jc

so on another note, any thoughts on gregg williams potentially giving the league the blueprint to stop lamar and the run game?

that 4th quarter adjustment we saw where the d line condensed in the middle was simply beautiful, and more importantly, worked.

I agree. That was pretty genius.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:51 AM
The final 3 plays that mattered for the Browns offense.

They couldn't try anything that would give pass protection for anything more than a one option instant throw low percentage, even after it wasn't working.
Pass protection maybe.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:52 AM
Blah, blah, blah.

Rapier like wit ... Well done.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:53 AM
jc

Romo brought up a good point during the game. If a team wants to go to a high school defense, why not play a 5 man front?

That is called a 50 defense and that particular defense is designed to stop the run. We ran it when I coached and we played Cover 3 behind it.

Cover 3 is where your two Corners and FS are responsible for a third of the field. The SS plays closer to the LOS and helps on the edge against wide running plays and covers the flat and pot passes [which is quick over the middle passes to the TE] in the passing game.

I'd like to see a team do that against Baltimore in the playoffs.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:54 AM
jc

I wanna KNOW WHAT TOOK SO DAMM LONG ...

Thats the part that peed me off the most about this game ...

I’m with BONE ... VERY DISSAPOINTED in that aspect ...

LOVE THIS TEAM ... CAN’T WAIT FOR NEXT YEAR ....

LETS GOOOOOOOooooooooo

Thats was SO MUCH FUN ...

Look how far we’ve come dawgs ... and look at the LANDSCAPE FOR NEXT YEAR ... thumbsup

WOOF WOOF WOOF ...
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:55 AM
Dude. How about you just let some people express their opinions and express your own?

This thread was actually moving along fairly well. Please stop polluting it w/your agenda and need to control things.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:56 AM
How much did they adjust to what we were doing?

You guys are being too critical of the coaching staff.

These guys are doing a good job.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:56 AM
jc

I agree. That was pretty genius.

I call it COMMON SENSE ....

AH WELL ...

Gonna have fun and stay positive tonight ...

LETS GOOOOOOoooooooooooo

ITS GOOD TO BE US ... thumbsup
Posted By: Psydeffect Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:57 AM
Blah, blah, blah.

Rapier like wit ... Well done.

Well, you deserved that type of a response.

When you make a comment that Baker only delivered against the worst defenses in the league. Yet he had over 700 yards passing and 4 TD's in 2 games against the best D in the league you're gonna get that.
Posted By: Looch Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:57 AM
I haven't even logged in in months...

I just want to say thank you to my Brownies. I haven't been this proud of the team in a long time.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:58 AM
Yep, things are looking up, Looch.

I haven't been this encouraged in a long, long time.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:58 AM
There's one guy detailing thethread... That's you.

The guy I responded to had a discussion with me. You just tried to be a bully and insult. Yeah, I know, it's what you do. .... Please stop.
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:59 AM
I believe that Freddie Kitchens is a more valuable coach going forward than Williams. If they choose to elevate him to HC, I have no qualms
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:00 AM
Originally Posted By: Thebigbaddawg
I believe that Freddie Kitchens is a more valuable coach going forward than Williams. If they choose to elevate him to HC, I have no qualms

I think this will be dependent on two things:

1. What Dorsey has witnessed in Kitchens around the building. Does he have the skillset to be a HC?
2. What Kitchens plan is a for a staff.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:01 AM

I don’t think kitchens is even on the long list. I think Dorsey already knows who he wants. I think he knew last year
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:01 AM
Me? Vers or Rish ??? Not sure who deserved the response?
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:01 AM

I think Williams decisions today cost him any shot that he had at being the HC next season.

I don't mind him continuing on as our DC tho.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:02 AM

Teach me bro .... i’m Not sure what the heck we were doing ... i actually thought a few times .. well i got some questions for Vers ... cause i dont get it and it may be cause i’mnotknowlegable enough ...

PLEASE tell me what i’m missing ...

LETS TALK FOOTBALL and X’s and O’s ....

Ignore the posse .... please tell me what the heck we were doing inthe beggining .... there was to many plays with no one inthe middle fo the field .. and i’m Not talking about the TD where Collins messed up ...

QUITE FRANKLY ... it shouldn’t be that hard ...

And what took so long to go to that front and alignment ...

Talk to me Vers .. thumbsup
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:02 AM
Me? Vers or Rish ??? Not sure who deserved the response?

It was obviously intended for me.

I've created quite the stir.

Message received: Don't criticize Mayfield.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:02 AM
I also must admit: Njoku really came a long ways this year. He's progressed nicely, and it was evident today
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:04 AM
I just don't see the meteoric rise to HC for Kitchens. Not for another year or two while continuing what he's started.

I agree with whoever just said Dorsey probably knows exactly who be wants. Will do his due diligence regardless.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:05 AM
jc

Romo brought up a good point during the game. If a team wants to go to a high school defense, why not play a 5 man front?

That is called a 50 defense and that particular defense is designed to stop the run. We ran it when I coached and we played Cover 3 behind it.

Cover 3 is where your two Corners and FS are responsible for a third of the field. The SS plays closer to the LOS and helps on the edge against wide running plays and covers the flat and pot passes [which is quick over the middle passes to the TE] in the passing game.

I'd like to see a team do that against Baltimore in the playoffs.

I'm interested
What would hold a DC back from this? It isn't the trend? Are they stuck running the flavor(s) of the day defenses? I've always said someone should go old school. That possibly the new era coaches have not studied the past and couldnt react well to some old style systems busted out on them. Probably not a front you'd want to present all the time but maybe enough of a wrinkle to counter a serious run game like we saw today. Interesting subject as I like getting nostalgic!
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:05 AM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I also must admit: Njoku really came a long ways this year. He's progressed nicely, and it was evident today

A lot of guys developed this year. I think that is a direct reflection on the coaching staff and Baker.

Imagine having an alpha like Baker and not wanting to let him down.

It's no coincidence that teams with franchise QBs have players that play "better". Even the players on the Browns team have talked about that this year. How the very real chance of winning every game gets guys up.

As opposed to Kizer, who played most of the GB game today. GB laid down. They knew they had no chance to win.
Posted By: Swish Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:05 AM

i hope nobody is ripping you for the critique. cause mayfield was certainly off today. there were definitely more than a few easy throws he just flat out missed. and that 1st pick was inexcusable.

i think people are reacting to the choking part. i dunno if its fair to put the choke label on a rookie. atleast thats my individual stance on it.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:06 AM
good points Rish .. the entire OL developed as well. As we've said for years, a FQB changes everything
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:07 AM
We can agree to disagree. That's cool.

I think he choked. Again, I don't think it means he always will or he won't ever again, but I see him still searching for that signature win.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:08 AM
Did Chubb get his 1k?

He'll surely have a chip on his shoulder oing into the 2019 season.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:09 AM
Like swish just said, criticize away. Baker is not perfect and has lots of room to grow. He had an up and down day. But I think the choke label is way out of the realms of reality for a rookie playing the best D in the league on their home turf.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:09 AM

Teach me bro .... i’m Not sure what the heck we were doing ... i actually thought a few times .. well i got some questions for Vers ... cause i dont get it and it may be cause i’mnotknowlegable enough ...

PLEASE tell me what i’m missing ...

LETS TALK FOOTBALL and X’s and O’s ....

Ignore the posse .... please tell me what the heck we were doing inthe beggining .... there was to many plays with no one inthe middle fo the field .. and i’m Not talking about the TD where Collins messed up ...

QUITE FRANKLY ... it shouldn’t be that hard ...

And what took so long to go to that front and alignment ...

Talk to me Vers .. thumbsup

Let me calm down a bit. I'm so sick of listening to guys like 888 who have to dominate every freaking conversation to fuel their dumb ass agendas and then they act like others aren't talking football when we already were.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:10 AM
We can agree to disagree. That's cool.

I think he choked. Again, I don't think it means he always will or he won't ever again, but I see him still searching for that signature win.

Just because he choked doesn’t mean he isn’t good, how many playoff games did manning choke. It happens. But needing 10 yards and to throw 3 uncatchable balls and a pick in 4 passes is choking. It happens. I still think kitchens did nothing to help. That series could have been called better after the Landry catch
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:10 AM
Good post. He didn't choke. But, he is not above criticism.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:11 AM
j/c...

Posted By: EveDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:11 AM

i hope nobody is ripping you for the critique. cause mayfield was certainly off today. there were definitely more than a few easy throws he just flat out missed. and that 1st pick was inexcusable.

i think people are reacting to the choking part. i dunno if its fair to put the choke label on a rookie. atleast thats my individual stance on it.

The first pick was tipped.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:11 AM
in regards to the last possession, I wasn't opposed at ALL to trying to run it, or screen it, etc ... we kinda KNEW they were bringing pressure there (at least on 1st or 2nd down)
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:12 AM
No problem dawg .... we got all off season ... thumbsup

And i had zero problems with Freddie and the O ....

Was screaming for a screen on 3rd down ... really nice play call on 4th down ...

If any other DLman drops back but him ... our kicker would have had a shot to cost us another game ... *LOL* ...
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:14 AM
Not sure how u run it against that D in that situation ...

U needed a screen pass or sumptin .... u needed to pass it over all the pressure they were bring from the middle and the edges ...

Great call on 4th down ... thumbsup
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:14 AM
Like swish just said, criticize away. Baker is not perfect and has lots of room to grow. He had an up and down day. But I think the choke label is way out of the realms of reality for a rookie playing the best D in the league on their home turf.

I don't think it's out of the realm of reality. The situation that Baker was in is what separates the haves from the have nots in the NFL. He had everything he could have wanted. Ball in his hands, plenty of time, only in need of a FG. This is the very definition of a franchise QB - is being able to deliver in that moment.

And it wasn't guys dropping passes. It wasn't a bad call. It was Baker. He didn't deliver. I think that is the very definition of choke.

Is that harsh? I don't think so. I don't know what else to call it.

Think about the flip side. If he had delivered, everyone would be saying he's clutch.

And it particularly made me think of the game against UGA. Baker was lights out for about 3 quarters in that game. He was playing a very talented D and got tight in the fourth and IMO, choked.

So I kind of see a pattern here. I hope and don't believe it will last. But he needs to start delivering on these.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:15 AM
You think the refs would be okay if I started an Analysis thread of the game and we could get away from all of this agenda crap? Or, would it be duplicative?
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:16 AM
Just because he choked doesn’t mean he isn’t good

I agree.
Posted By: sk8termom Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:17 AM
Your team has so much potential now. Baker Mayfield is definitely your quarterback of the future. It's such the shame that the Steelers were in a position that they needed the Browns to win to make the playoffs. But that's definitely on the Steelers. The AFCN will be a very interesting division now. Glad Cleveland finally has a good team.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:17 AM
He didn't choke.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:24 AM
I agree mom. The AFCN will be intriguing from now on
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:25 AM
He didn't choke.

How would you characterize it?

And I'm asking in a serious manner. I'm not coming at you. There's no tone. Just a legit question.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:25 AM
You think the refs would be okay if I started an Analysis thread of the game and we could get away from all of this agenda crap? Or, would it be duplicative?

Let them make the decision bro ...

I’d wait til at least tomorrow though ... history says anything started within 24 - 48 hours after the game ends is gonna get trashed ....

Your call ...

U know i’m bringing paper and pen next time we meet out ... i love diagrams ... thumbsup

Some of the best lessons i got as an official was done in bars using napkins., swizzle sticks and our drinks ... *LOL* ..
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:25 AM
He didn't choke.

No, he didn't....some people have never really played any sports past the age of 8, so take that in to account.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:27 AM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
He didn't choke.

No, he didn't....some people have never really played any sports past the age of 8, so take that in to account.

Really?

That was a bit petty, don't you think.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:31 AM
I don't think it was petty.

We wouldn't have been in that game if it wasn't for Baker.

You can second-quess the play calls at the end, but hindsight is 20/20.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:31 AM
He didn't choke.

And I'm asking in a serious manner. I'm not coming at you. There's no tone. Just a legit question.

He's a freaking rookie. He isn't the God that many make him out to be. But man, the guy makes plays. He plays w/attitude. He made some throws that got us back into the game.

That was far from a choke job.

He is young and is improving. He has done a great job of improving his pre-snap reads. The post-snap reads need some work but they aren't Weeden like. He is accurate on some throws and inaccurate on others.

Thus, I don't think he is as good as some think, but he certainly is very, very good for a freaking rookie qb.

He didn't choke. He battled all game long. He didn't piss straight up in the air after the first two picks. Instead, he fought back and helped to bring us back. That is a long way from choking.

And I am not knocking your opinion or your right to express it. I'm just saying I don't think he choked at all.

I think the guy has a very good future in the NFL. It will be even better if he matures a bit.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:34 AM
It was petty. The age 8 thing was certainly petty. It came from the same dude who called Hue "weak" after watching the episode in which he found out he lost his mother and was on the field an hour later and right on schedule.

You can defend Baker w/out being petty.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:34 AM
the game seemed eerily similar to Houston. We came out and got run ALL over. Looked like we didn't belong. Had some TO's.

But, battled back. Responded. And this time .. almost DID it

Big time progress
Posted By: MileHighBrown Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:34 AM
So Mayfield started 13 games this year and had at least 1 touchdown in each one. Rookies just don't do that. Does anyone know the record for consecutive games with a TD to start a career?

Whatever else happens this off season we have to keep Kitchens as OC. This was his very first shot as OC and play calling and IMO he did a fantastic job. But being this was his first time being a coordinator I think it's way too soon to be considering him for HC.

If Dorsey gets even close to having as good an offseason as last one we will be playoff bound next year.

I haven't been this optimistic about the Browns in a long time. Even the year we went 10-6 I never thought Derek Anderson was the answer at QB. Mayfield is the answer.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:34 AM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
He didn't choke.

Really?

That was a bit petty, don't you think.

No.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:36 AM
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pr...eland-browns-24

Here is the PFF recap - which is what everyone saw pretty much. Up and down day for Baker, but overall considering the competition it was encouraging despite the missed throws at the end.

Looks like we had a lot of missed tackles today - which isn't terribly surprising based on those runs and some of the jukes Jackson put on our D when he had a little space.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:38 AM
I agree with everything you said.

But I think he choked the game away today.

Everything else I agree with. He's a rookie who will improve, we wouldn't have been in the game without him, etc.

But consider this...most NFL games come down to the wire. It's not how you play throughout the game that matters, it's how you finish. Winning is what matters, not that you kept your team in the game. And the plays were there to be made and he didn't make them.

It's what used to drive me crazy about Haden. He'd play great for 3 quarters, but when we really needed him to make a play, he'd give up some double move to a team's 5th WR late in the 4th.

I think that's the difference between being clutch or not. It's what you do with the plays when they matter most.

What Baker did with the plays when they mattered most helped us to lose.

And I love Baker. I do. I agree with all the nice superlatives you gave him. I agree with every single one.

But I just think he choked today. It's what you do with the plays when they matter the most.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:39 AM
Stay classy.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:40 AM
Hope the ref whistled our TD dead gets pounded. That was lousy luck. And I want a new kicker. Like we were playing uphill against about16 opponents.

Hell of a game. I had more fun this season than I did in the last 10 years.

Thank your Elf.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:40 AM
U best go put a feel good song in my optimism thread or i’m gonna have to dissapoint u with my choice again ... thumbsup
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:41 AM
We disagree, but that's okay.

A side note: I think disagreeing is good. It helps us all learn. The more "logical" opinions the better.

Unfortunately, this board has turned into sects and bickering fueled only by agendas.

I think this team is on the right track and it's time we all move on and celebrate the future of the Browns.

I know that won't happen, but it's my two cents.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:42 AM
LOL.............give me a few minutes. I gotta piss.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:43 AM
If the Browns could have made that field goal just before halftime, there would have been 3 more points!

I thought it was going in, first look.

They really need a "good" fg kicker.
Posted By: rastanplan Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:46 AM
He didn't choke.

IMHO, it was clear he didn't choke. He was asked to make some high risk plays, and he delivered.

He didn't have a perfect game, some areas he has to develop, namely the passes to the left, throwing on the move, starting rolling to the left, and the long ball.

He was facing a very good and aggressive D, was clearly rattled on the 2nd quarter but showed very good composure.2nd half he was great, and I think all that were watching felt that we actually had a good chance to win the game.

Chocking would be failing passes he normally does, or just freezing and not risking. He did nothing of that, he just wasn't accurate on some plays he usually isn't.

Overall the only player I'm less pleased on O was Duke, who was a non factor and I'm starting to think is way overrated.

On D the middle was terrible, but the adjustments were great.

Overall a very good game.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:49 AM
He didn't choke.

Totally agree... wasn't a choke... defensive guy made a heck of a play.... snuck back and baker never saw him,,. Don't see it as a choke,,,
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:51 AM

We put up a fight today in a tough environment. Almost pulled it out. From 1-32 to 7-8-1, and giving us lot to be optimistic about, what an outstanding season this has been.
Posted By: Psydeffect Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:52 AM
Originally Posted By: jaybird
He didn't choke.

Totally agree... wasn't a choke... defensive guy made a heck of a play.... snuck back and baker never saw him,,. Don't see it as a choke,,,

I'm pretty sure the choke reference was made to the missed throw to Landry on the sideline that was behind him. But regardless Baker was great today. smile
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:58 AM
I think Baker has probably seen a TON more than we ever dreamed in his first year. He's been put in a lot of different situations and has been successful overall
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 03:15 AM
Seeing how we competed against a playoff team was important.

Gashed by the run, gashed by the running QB, gashed by the TE, two early INTs, a choking kicker and an errant whistle taken together seem impossible to overcome. Add in no run game, and several off-target or rushed throws and it seems like a sure blowout.

But we had the ball in our hands with two-minutes to go for a game winning FG. What more do you want than that? To be in it with the game on the line. Of course, hats off to their D for making the play. Shame on GW for not taking the timeout to make certain they had a play called that would get them five yards against the all out blitz. But it is what it is. We showed we can compete against the best in our division. That's okay for now.

We need a real kicker.

Our QB put together a hell of a game. Wish he could've won it for us, and for him, but it was one hell of a comeback effort. He's going to have to learn to play against these tough Ds in the AFCN. Once he has that down, I don't feel like the rest of the league will be that hard.

Still feels like the chemistry isn't 100% there yet with the receivers. We see flashes. Callaway had a good day. Perlman, Juice, Njoku all had nice catches. But sometime soon it'll be like mind-meld symbiosis and it'll seem like they can't miss. I'm looking forward to that.

Hats off to Baker for breaking the rookie TD record. That he did it in 14 games is amazing.

We're soft in the middle. I expect a DT in FA and in the draft. Collins had an awful first half and a decent second half. Someone must have talked to him at half time.

We need linebackers. Big, mean, nasty, fast, smart linebackers. Collins needs replaced and I'd like to see us draft a nasty ILB.

Seemed like a fairly clean game penalty-wise. I really like the attitude and discipline GW has installed. He should be a contender but I don't think he is.

I hope we get the coaching pick right. We seem so close. Potentially dominant.

It's been a wonderful season. Most fun I've had as a Browns fan in a long, long time.

I'm happy for all of us. We deserver this, damn it. It's about time.

Can't wait for FA & the draft. brownie
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 03:20 AM

Anyone notice the blatant hold on weddle on the 2nd down play after they got to the 39. Unbelievable - came running in and then reversed course and basically ripped Duke out of the play -
believe it was duke - no holding.

I saw it as well. It was a terrible no call but I didn't mention it because I didn't want to whine about bad calls. We still had our chance but it wasn't meant to be.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 03:21 AM
I can't stand Weddle.

Just one of those guys that gets under your skin.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 03:23 AM
Randall was tackling today like he didn't want to rehab an injury in the off-season.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 03:29 AM
Baker Mayfield will be 24 for the 2019 season.
Myles Garrett just turned 23.
Nick Chubb just turned 23.
David Njoku doesn't turn 23 till July.
Jabrill Peppers is 23.
Denzel Ward turns 22 in April.
Jarvis Landry is 26.
Antonio Callaway turns 22 in January.
Joe Schobert just turned 25.
Larry Ogunjobi turns 25 in June.

The core of this is made up of babies. This is going to be fun.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 03:44 AM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Baker Mayfield will be 24 for the 2019 season.
Myles Garrett just turned 24.
Nick Chubb just turned 23.
David Njoku doesn't turn 23 till July.
Jabrill Peppers is 23.
Denzel Ward turns 22 in April.
Jarvis Landry is 26.
Antonio Callaway turns 22 in January.
Joe Schobert just turned 25.
Larry Ogunjobi turns 25 in June.

The core of this is made up of babies. This is going to be fun.

And boom goes the dynamite. Can't wait til September....
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 03:50 AM
I almost wish we were on Hard Knocks again this next season. We've become "America's Team". The local sports talk station here in San Diego talk about us all the time. Casual fans pull for us. Fans of non-rivals root for us. The entire state of Oklahoma roots for us.

It's going to be a fun off-season. We're finally patching holes, rather than laying gaping expanses of foundation.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 03:51 AM
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
I almost wish we were on Hard Knocks again this next season.

For entertainment value? Yes. Most teams that are on Hard Knocks are not successful though.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 03:58 AM
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

We put up a fight today in a tough environment. Almost pulled it out. From 1-32 to 7-8-1, and giving us lot to be optimistic about, what an outstanding season this has been.

My season predition ... 8-8 ... We are on schedule thumbsup
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 03:58 AM
Baker has ignited this team, the fans, everybody else who loves the Browns.
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 03:59 AM
In context.. we had an awful season last year. This year was fun, but we have not ARRIVED yet.

We had a dysfunctional coaching staff at the start of the year.. we "corrected" that and showed some significant progress. I'm encouraged. We seem to have made a good decision on QB and so far I give JD credit for a good draft. I want to see 3 years drafts from Dorsey before I anoint him the 2nd coming.

We have some work to do. Today we got torched up the middle by 3rd string RB's. We are not a playoff team. We are beating weaker teams.

What we are is a team that seems to be becoming better. We have a young core of players, I think we are on the right track, the one thing that worries me is the pending coaching change. I hope we don't make Baker and the young guys have to re-learn everything all over again.

We are 19th in total points scored per game and 14th in total off yards per game.

We are 20th in points allowed / game and 29th in total off yards allowed.

We need to fix these things before we can "arrive" I am very hopeful for FA and the April draft.
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 04:05 AM
Great job by the entire team and coaching staff! Awesome job in a very difficult situation by Greg Williams! Couldn't ask for a better job by an interim head coach. He brought them together and kept them pointed in the right direction. Also, awesome job by Freddie Kitchens as OC. Couldn't ask for a better job from him either. If we keep drafting like this and we don't have to rebuild the whole thing again under a new regime the future looks very bright. No matter what happens, we had a great season and the team and staff deserve credit! Go Browns!
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 04:14 AM

If you watch the Baker Mic'd up you will understand why Freddie isn't ready to. E hc. He is Baker's friend. GW allows this to happen. It will be interesting to see what happens if we get another coach that doesn't allow players to be themselves.
Posted By: Clemdawg Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 04:21 AM
hehehehe....

I'm close, My Dawg. BUT:
I'm just one of those guys who has been bitten too deep/too often.

OK, Diam.... here's where I truly am. OK?

CLEMDAWG'S IMMEDIATE POST-GAME/POST SEASON THOUGHTS

I need to see how CLE handles its off season before I'm heading off to the isle.

Because CLE has treated its offseasons like a 20-year run of 'Real Housewives of 76 Groza' every other year, since 1999.
The life expectancy for Browns FO/Coaches is.... (wait for it):

2.3 years.
pathetic.

And we are right on schedule to once again screw ourselves- because of the people who DON'T actually play football.
If ever there was a time that we could be stabbed in the heart once again, it's at a time like this.

Now... we never had JDorsey before, and he's drafted us a fine core of talent... but this team is actually more vulnerable now than they were at any point during the 2018 regular season. If JimmyDee leaves the eval/hiring process to Dorsey, I have some confidence that we'll get good hires at the vacant posts. If he's not in charge- all bets are off.

And we fans have no idea what goes on at that address.

This current group of Dorsey's has overachieved to place CLE on the map. The 2018 chemistry that formed after The Firings is something very special- and should be strongly considered in any offseason structural moves.

Once again, the stuff that CLE does during the offseason has more say than what the team does for 16 weeks in the Fall. We are never stable when and where we most desperately need to be, so we always squander situations/opportunities/personnel/circumstance.

Everyone talks about Baker 'changing Browns culture,' but they are wrong. Baker is changing Team Attitude, and that's great. BUT: Team Culture is formed at levels above the chess pieces... and what's happened at the top during this reg season isn't making me feel very confident. Part of me is worried that this is just the latest (and cruelest) tease of all.

Diam: we fans have been repeatedly screwed by what happens at 76 Groza between Dec. and Mar.

Tell you what, bro:
By late March/early April, I'll have a much better idea about how optimistic I'll be. We'll have names on office doors, and another Dorsey draft to consider.

Like I said: I'll swim there if I'm totally on-board.
I'll have a better idea of my commitment by next Spring's OTA's.

Damn.
Another stressed-filled offseason.
Rats, Pats, Stoolz fans only sweat during games. Brownies sweat 365.

If we don't fix that, we'll always be bottom feeders.
Please, PLEASE get this right, CLE....

fingerscrossed
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 04:26 AM
- Still fuming over the quick whistle. Let it play out, the return. It would have been reviewed anyway because of the turnover. If it turned out it was a TD, the review catches it and no harm. We got it in the chute from the refs one last time.

- I think the quick TD call was in part because it was Jackson.

- The first play after that was a TD. Terrible drop by Landry.

- Jackson does not scare me as a thrower. And was really happy when his somersault TD was called back. Sure the Jackson fan bois will be in an tizzy over this.

- I was really disappointed at how unprepared the D seemed to be. Of course Balt was going to come put running. Everyone knew that. But we rarely stopped it. Our run D should be embarrassed.

- Still had a shot to win it. Bummed we didn't pull it out, but was nice that we were driving at the end, with a chance to go ahead.

- I have said this multiple times, I do not like this kicker. No way there isn't someone better out there.

- I got really tired of the Steeler fans I know telling me how much they were supporting the Browns. Am I supposed to feel all warm and fuzzy because you are doing me a favor by rooting for my team? Put yourself in the playoffs.

- Perriman continues to impress. If we do not offer this guy a contract I will be bummed.

- Too bad Chubb lost his 1K yards. Had it for a bit.

- Nice that Bake got the rookie TD passes record.

- Looking forward to next year. Playoffs, baby!

- I do trust Dorsey, but am anxious at the coach search.

- Off topic, but as I was taking down the tree during the game, I got bit by a wasp. No idea how the #$%^& was even alive on 12/30 in Ohio. He was sluggish, I just did not see him. First time with a wasp, God does it hurt.

Happy New Year's fellow Dawgs. The future is ours.
Posted By: BuckDawg1946 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 05:01 AM
Demons rear their ugly head again, missed field goal, and poor end game coaching.

In game adjustment lost by Gregg, that one could hurt him
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 07:03 AM
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog

Ravens D gave up 300 yds passing 3 times this year..

Baker Mayfield
Patrick Mahomes
Baker Mayfield
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 07:17 AM
Originally Posted By: BuckDawg1946
Demons rear their ugly head again, missed field goal, and poor end game coaching.

In game adjustment lost by Gregg, that one could hurt him

We gave up 300 yards rushing and lost the turnover battle 3-1... the fact that we were somehow still able to stay in this game to the final play is nothing short of a miracle... and we still should have won.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 07:28 AM
One last post game thought.. I'm not sold on Lamar Jackson. What he is doing this year is working but his sub 60% completion percentage and the need for him to run 15-20 times a game for 80 yards just seems unsustainable. He's a tremendous athlete but he has a lot of work to do to be a well rounded NFL QB.... not saying he can't do it...
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 10:28 AM
Right now Lamar is in great health, let's see how he he's able to perform after getting those nagging little injuries and his running game is affected.

As far as the Browns, today was obvious that that O just needs a little tweaking but the D needs some serious help for us to be playoff contenders.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 10:35 AM
another note: Callaway REALLY played well and looked so much better than he did earlier in the year..

That's a great sign.
Posted By: drobs Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 10:52 AM
J/c - great effort to come back and nearly have a chance to win. The team played one of the best in the league hard and eventually adjusted to take away a little of what made them so effective.

Next year my friends, next year - have a wonderful New Year all.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 01:14 PM
Proud of this team. They were in a very bad...scratch that, horrendous situation with the prior coaching staff with no motivation to play hard other than to get out of here.

The came together and put not only a watchable football product on the field, but one where there could win any game they entered.

I truly feel the North runs through Cleveland next year.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 02:52 PM
Damn,,, Baltimore is a damn good football team on Offense, but the defense is #1. And to think, we dropped 24 points on them... Not bad Brownies.. Not bad at all.

Three Picks and Three TD's.. Nothing shook Baker up.. Nothing shakes this kid..

I am about as proud of a team as I can be. I'm equally proud of the way that Dorsey ran the organization.

This is more of a start to my season ending thoughts:

It always takes guts to fire a Head coach AND an OC in one week but Dorsey did it. Didn't flinch, Didn't look back and as it turned out, Damned if it didn't work out better.

Add to that a very young team that appears to have it's leader in Mayfield for the long haul.

They have a defensive leader in Garrett for the long haul.

All in all, Some pieces and parts (DL, CB, LB and WR) and we really could be on our way.

It's my judgement that Williams and Kitchens need to stay. Either in their current roles or at least Williams back to DC and Kitchens stays as OC.. He and Baker and the Offensive unit as a whole seem to be on the same exact page at the same time.

Having said that, given Dorsey's record so far with the Browns, I really trust him.
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 03:04 PM
Like to have end the season with a win but still a season of improvement. The Browns have a bright future.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 03:52 PM

Looking back on the whole season what struck me is this:

If we would have had a good field goal kicker we would be in the playoffs.

Often taken for granted. Not what most would consider a critical position and yet look at our season.

Look around the NFL and see how many games are won or lost on field goals.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 03:53 PM
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
One last post game thought.. I'm not sold on Lamar Jackson. What he is doing this year is working but his sub 60% completion percentage and the need for him to run 15-20 times a game for 80 yards just seems unsustainable. He's a tremendous athlete but he has a lot of work to do to be a well rounded NFL QB.... not saying he can't do it...

not to mention his 10 fumbles
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 04:33 PM
j/c

First thing I need to say. The Browns were 1-31 the past two years. The team has been the laughing stock of the NFL for 20 years. This is the context in which yesterday's game and the entire season took place. Every poster has a right to post what they want but it seems superficial to ignore who the Browns have been for a generation.

I am so proud of this team. In a way that I haven't felt since I was a kid.

It isn't just Mayfield, you look all over this roster, offense and defense, and there are players who compete, experience adversity and continue to give every ounce of effort they have. Mayfield didn't choke and the team continued to compete until he made a mistake that sealed the win for the Ravens. Rookies make mistakes, hell veteran QBs make mistakes.

Mayfield didn't choke. If you believe that he did then Russel Wilson choked in the 2014 Superbowl loss to New England. Schizzel happens in football, as it does in life. Sometimes you get a break sometimes you don't.

About the all-time rookie TD record. He set that record in 13.75 games. That makes the accomplishment even greater.

Before the game, everyone was talking about the Raven's juggernaut. They were unstoppable. Well, this Browns team scratched and clawed its self to within two points of the Ravens and their #1 defense, in their house.

I would have preferred to win but the Browns got a taste of playoff atmosphere yesterday. They showed that they can compete in these circumstances. This will be invaluable for these players to build on.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 04:48 PM
You guys are way too emotional about the Mayfield choking thing. He 100% choked in his biggest moment as an NFL player on the bad pass to Landry. I don't think the interception was a choke play. That was a great play by the defense. It's the pass to Landry that he has to make.

He choked against UGA as well in his biggest game as a college athlete.

Is it a cause for concern? He's just a rookie and it's too early to say that. Lot of football ahead of him. But he choked yesterday by failing to make a play when it mattered most and the stakes were the highest. An inaccurate routine pass for a quarterback who is known for his accuracy. That's the very definition of choke. This isn't Blake Bottles missing the pass. That could be explained by the mere fact that he sucks.

Baker needs a signature win. I think they will come.

This isn't an anti-Baker take. This is a take about the play late in the game yesterday.

You know I've been perusing some Jets boards this year to see how they were feeling about Darnold. I learned two things. One, if the couple of boards are any indication, that is one of the least intelligent fanbases out there. Two, they have an emotional attachment to Darnold that clouds their judgment.

That's how this board is reacting to Mayfield choking yesterday. It's disappointing. Just call it like it is and be objective.
Posted By: mac Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 04:54 PM
If the Browns defense had played half as good as the offense, the Ravens would not have won that game.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 04:56 PM
Originally Posted By: mac
If the Browns defense had played half as good as the offense, the Ravens would not have won that game.

Most NFL games come down to the end of the 4th.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 04:58 PM
What an incredible game.

We made every mistake possible and shot ourselves in the foot continuously, yet still fought our way to be in position to win at the end. Solving their front came just a drive or two too late, but it showcased how to beat them. They're a threat, but as I see it, this is OUR DIVISION every single year going forward. The AFC North goes through Cleveland.

Baker broke a Peyton Manning passing record and did it in three fewer games. Along the way, he had FOURTEEN FEWER INT's and almost exactly as many yards! With three less games and nearly 100 less Pass Attempts!!

Guess what... he was better than Peyton's 2nd year, too!

This offense needs very little to keep on churning. The defense needs some attention, but with the right improvements, I see little reason for us to not be a 12 win team next year, in the Playoffs as Division winners, and legitimate contenders to take it all.

Before the season, I felt we were a 4 to 6 win team. We FAR surpassed that and showed that we had the potential to have been a 10 win team this year.

I could not be more stoked - and more nervous - about this offseason.
We MUST get this coaching decision right. If we do, we're launching a dynasty. If we don't, we're going to squander our best QB, ever.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 05:21 PM
All year long we have made good adjustments at half time. This is something that has always been a problem. I think we need to keep our coaches!
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 05:29 PM
Originally Posted By: mac

Maybe you are right, but Damn, the Ravens can run the hell out of the ball... Way better than I thought they'd do..
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 05:31 PM
j/c

I do not know why the officials blew that whistle so quickly on the fumble at the goal line. There was absolutely no reason to blow the whistle that quickly.

The play is either a TD and therefore dead, or it's a fumble and likely 6 points for the defense. Kind of...you know...important in an NFL game with high stakes.

Players weren't in a scrum or scrambling after the ball that could have resulted in injury.

Just like the Raider game, we made a play when a play needed to be made...only to have the referees change the course and outcome of the game.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 05:39 PM
Yea we took a few hits from the refs that most likely cost us a playoff spot ...
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 05:42 PM
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
j/c

I do not know why the officials blew that whistle so quickly on the fumble at the goal line. There was absolutely no reason to blow the whistle that quickly.

The play is either a TD and therefore dead, or it's a fumble and likely 6 points for the defense. Kind of...you know...important in an NFL game with high stakes.

Players weren't in a scrum or scrambling after the ball that could have resulted in injury.

Just like the Raider game, we made a play when a play needed to be made...only to have the referees change the course and outcome of the game.

We'll get the obligatory "Official NFL Apology" on Wednesday, saying that they (once again) blew it.

AFAIC, the NFL can stuff their apology in a tight, dark vertical space. Just get the calls right, and quit screwing the Browns!

p.s. NFL owes Peppers 6 points.

banghead
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 05:47 PM
If it wasn't for poor officiating we would have finished 9-6-1 and been hosting a playoff game this coming weekend. Ridiculous.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 05:49 PM
That is pure BS.

Choke.

If that were the case he could never throw a touchdown.

You don't play thousands of snaps and choke. You play and things happen. That is competition. Plays are made from both sides.

Is every int a choke? So you can look at any given play and decide whether or not someone choked?

Did Michael Jordon choke when he took a game ending shot and missed? You don't make every play. That is competition.

If a player strikes out with the bases loaded did he choke?

If you miss a foul shot with the game on the line is that a choke?

I mean come on really.

Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 05:54 PM
Wanna know what irritates the crap out of me?

One of the morning football shows .... I'm not sure which as I have jumped around a bit .... but they showed the Browns-Rats highlights ...... and they showed the play that Jackson fumbled on at the goal line ...... but they cut it as soon as he stuck the ball out, but before the ball was punched out. The implication was that it was an absolutely awesome play by Jackson ... when instead he fumbled, and the Browns should have scored.

That was a truly dishonest highlight, the way it was presented.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 05:55 PM
Let's draft some tacklers in the draft next year. Because we got schooled as far as the run game.

Heard anything about the refs yesterday. The fast whistle on the lost score handed the Rats some help. Why not let the play run out? This one upset me with this and so many upset calls.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 05:56 PM
You guys are way too emotional about the Mayfield choking thing. He 100% choked in his biggest moment as an NFL player on the bad pass to Landry. I don't think the interception was a choke play. That was a great play by the defense. It's the pass to Landry that he has to make.

He choked against UGA as well in his biggest game as a college athlete.

Is it a cause for concern? He's just a rookie and it's too early to say that. Lot of football ahead of him. But he choked yesterday by failing to make a play when it mattered most and the stakes were the highest. An inaccurate routine pass for a quarterback who is known for his accuracy. That's the very definition of choke. This isn't Blake Bottles missing the pass. That could be explained by the mere fact that he sucks.

Baker needs a signature win. I think they will come.

This isn't an anti-Baker take. This is a take about the play late in the game yesterday.

You know I've been perusing some Jets boards this year to see how they were feeling about Darnold. I learned two things. One, if the couple of boards are any indication, that is one of the least intelligent fanbases out there. Two, they have an emotional attachment to Darnold that clouds their judgment.

That's how this board is reacting to Mayfield choking yesterday. It's disappointing. Just call it like it is and be objective.

You keep bringing up the emotionality of posters as the primary defense of your wrong-headed description of Mayfield's play. I'm certain that I said you have a right to your opinion. Calling you on that error doesn't make me emotional. I simply disagree with you. Maybe you should do some self-examination about your own emotional state. Now you're comparing this fan-base to the Jets because we disagree with you. I expect you to dig in with this nonsense because that's what emotional people do when they get challenged.

I'll go further, choking is wilting under pressure. Missing a single pass is not choking. Below is some description of the Browns play over the final 7 minutes of the game:

Needing two scores with just over 7 minutes remaining, Mayfield led a nine-play, 75-yard touchdown drive in just under four minutes. He completed 6-of-7 passes for 73 yards on the drive, including a 1-yard touchdown to Callaway with 3:24 remaining to bring the Browns within two points.

Mayfield came painfully close to securing position for a game-winning field goal. Jarvis Landry and Perriman spurred the final drive onward with two outstanding catches. Perriman’s kept his right foot on the ground long enough to constitute a catch before falling out of bounds. Landry secured his catch by adjusting his hand under the ball as he went to the ground. But on fourth-and-10 at Baltimore’s 39, Mosley intercepted Mayfield’s pass intended for a seemingly open Duke Johnson Jr.. Mosley made a leaping effort to tip the pass before catching it, and the Browns fell just short of a comeback.

You don't lead a 73 yard TD drive if you're a choker. You don't make those late completions to Landry and Perriman if you are a choker.

Was he perfect? No. Did he make mistakes? Yes. That's what happens in competition. He did not wilt under pressure. He continued to compete.
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 06:06 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Baker broke a Peyton Manning passing record and did it in three fewer games. Along the way, he had FOURTEEN FEWER INT's and almost exactly as many yards! With three less games and nearly 100 less Pass Attempts!!

Well, 2 and a half, but still!

At least in the conversation for one of the best rookie seasons ever. Pulled some stats here:

Code:
Passing	Rushing
Rk	Player		Year	G	QBrec	Cmp	Att	Cmp%	Yds	TD	Rate	Lng	Int	Sk	Y/A
1	Andrew Luck	2012	16	11-5-0	339	627	54.1	4374	23	76.5	70	18	41	7.0
2	Peyton Manning	1998	16	3-13-0	326	575	56.7	3739	26	71.2	78	28	22	6.5	
3	Baker Mayfield	2018	14	6-7-0	310	486	63.8	3725	27	93.7	71	14	25	7.7	
4	Dak Prescott	2016	16	13-3-0	311	459	67.8	3667	23	104.9	83	4	25	8.0	
5	Ben Roethlisb	2004	14	13-0-0	196	295	66.4	2621	17	98.1	58	11	30	8.9	
6	Russell Wilson	2012	16	11-5-0	252	393	64.1	3118	26	100.0	67	10	33	7.9	

Quote:

We MUST get this coaching decision right. If we do, we're launching a dynasty. If we don't, we're going to squander our best QB, ever.

I agree. I hope Dorsey just stays with the status quo. For his own job security, wouldn't it be the safest move? If he keep Williams and Kitchens and it doesn't work out, then I think people would understand him trying to ride the hot hands, and would be be okay with him scrapping it after a year or two and moving in a different direction.

If goes with another coaching staff, and THAT doesn't work out, he'll be known as the guy who ruined a team that was finally looking legitimate.
Posted By: Deepsouthdawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 06:28 PM
I think it comes down to what one defines as choking.
IMO choking can't be one play or even one drive. NO POSSIBLE WAY can it be.
Because if that was so every QB in the NFL is choke artist. Look at Brady back a few weeks ago . He couldn't make the plays at the end of the game and lost 2 weeks in a row. So he is a major choke artist??? (Just used him because he is the GOAT)
They ALL fail at times and lose games all the time.
Choking is after playing good for a half of football and then screwing the pootch the 2nd half of the game and costing the game. It's going into a big game and laying a huge egg !
It's much much much more than a throw or two at the end of a game. Much much much more than a single drive at the end of a game.
Seems to me at times the only games people watch is ours. Because if they did they would see all the Great Qbs (by their definition) choke on a regular basis.
It just can't be defined that simple !
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 06:41 PM
Originally Posted By: dawg66
Right now Lamar is in great health, let's see how he he's able to perform after getting those nagging little injuries and his running game is affected.

As far as the Browns, today was obvious that that O just needs a little tweaking but the D needs some serious help for us to be playoff contenders.

I just watched the game again. Yes, our D - especially our run D - was really bad for a large portion of this game.

Our O line was really good, I thought.

That quick whistle/fumble by Jackson right next to the endzone was horrible.

We might need to find a new FG kicker this coming season.

I like all the optimism for the Browns next season, but we still lost yesterday. I didn't think we would win, as the Browns usually struggle against QB's when they run.

Regardless, the future for the Browns looks bright.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 06:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Deepsouthdawg
Because if that was so every QB in the NFL is choke artist. Look at Brady back a few weeks ago . He couldn't make the plays at the end of the game and lost 2 weeks in a row. So he is a major choke artist??? (Just used him because he is the GOAT)
Choking is after playing good for a half of football and then screwing the pootch the 2nd half of the game and costing the game. It's going into a big game and laying a huge egg !
It's much much much more than a throw or two at the end of a game. Much much much more than a single drive at the end of a game.
Seems to me at times the only games people watch is ours. Because if they did they would see all the Great Qbs (by their definition) choke on a regular basis.

Yeah - I was thinking about the exact same thing today while waiting to have lunch with someone .... What's the definition of choking?

My definition or understanding of an athlete choking is when they bottle it, their nerves go, they lose their cajones .... but that isn't what happened with Baker. Did he miss a pass to Landry at the end of the game? He sure did. And if you watch his presser you can see he owns that and hates that. But that is not bottling it or losing his nerve for a game or even a series ... it was one play. During the same game he made some outrageously good/great throws. He made worse throws too - the interception, forcing the ball where it didn't/shouldn't have been thrown ...

Michael Sphinx choked when he got in the ring with Tyson.
Greg Norman choked when he blew a 6 or 7 shot lead on the final day of the Masters.

jmo
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 06:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Deepsouthdawg

Excellent reply to a very ignorant post. Choking is a trend, not a play.
Posted By: Glw12 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 07:00 PM
I loved the way the Browns did not quit but fought til the end.
We missed a field goal and had a touchdown taken away on the fumble.
Baker is the real deal. Does anyone else notice how well our receivers have played with Baker?
I was disapointed in our ability to stop the run or run the ball.
I loved the way our oline pass blocked for Baker but our run blocking was non existant.
We still need to add a few pieces but we are close. Very close.
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/31/18 08:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Glw12
I loved the way the Browns did not quit but fought til the end.
We missed a field goal and had a touchdown taken away on the fumble.
Baker is the real deal. Does anyone else notice how well our receivers have played with Baker?
I was disapointed in our ability to stop the run or run the ball.
I loved the way our oline pass blocked for Baker but our run blocking was non existant.
We still need to add a few pieces but we are close. Very close.

Well said. thumbsup

P.S. I'm sure everybody knows this, but what the hell:

'QB Baker Mayfield breaks NFL record for TD passes in rookie season'

https://fox8.com/2018/12/30/qb-baker-mayfield-breaks-nfl-record-for-td-passes-in-rookie-season/
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Postgame Thoughts - 01/02/19 02:01 AM
Jackson took a couple big hits today. He is surviving for now because he is avoiding hits. Sooner then later defenses are going to close those gaps and he is going to take some punishment.

I think our defensive adjustment just showed the league how to stop this running attack. When we changed, there was a huge difference, and that's when Jackson was sacked and took a bit hit while running.

That said, that dude is so quick to hit the hole it is unbelievable.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 01/02/19 03:43 AM
He finished with a 4.5 yard per carry. Not earth shattering. We definitely made an adjustment.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Postgame Thoughts - 01/02/19 05:55 PM
Quote:
He 100% choked in his biggest moment as an NFL player on the bad pass to Landry......

Is it a cause for concern? He's just a rookie and it's too early to say that.

Based on the number of high quality throws and plays he made in pressure situations all year, I'm perfectly willing to say that "choking" isn't going to be a concern for Baker Mayfield.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 01/03/19 02:40 AM
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:
He 100% choked in his biggest moment as an NFL player on the bad pass to Landry......

Is it a cause for concern? He's just a rookie and it's too early to say that.

Based on the number of high quality throws and plays he made in pressure situations all year, I'm perfectly willing to say that "choking" isn't going to be a concern for Baker Mayfield.

I tend to agree with you and hope that's true. But he will need to start making those big time throws that result in winning the game. Big time throws through 3.5 quarters are great. Big time throws that lead to wins are what separate the haves from the have nots.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Postgame Thoughts - 01/03/19 03:19 AM
Finally get a chance to post my thoughts on the game...

I thought the team really competed well. I don't think the game plan defensively was very good.

Lamar Jackson played a great game. I don't know if playing like that will hold up in the NFL, but if he continues to develop, he will be pretty good.

Baker played a great game. Forget the 3 picks. 2 of them weren't really his fault anyway. The throw on the first pick was not great, but the receiver was also being held (big surprise) and it ended up costing them.

The play calling on that final drive was a little odd to say the least. I think they were too worried about the pressure, and didn't stick to what was working earlier.

Our running game could not do anything. I get that Baltimore's defense is among the best in the league, but I think it's an area that we will need to improve upon.

Landry had that big drop, but otherwise had a decent game. Higgins had a nice game, Callaway also with a big TD catch. I really like this group going forward. I know things always change year to year, but I would love to see that entire group be back next year. Landry, Perriman, Higgins, Callaway seem to blend together nicely. Baker was really spreading it around Sunday. He hit 8 receivers, nobody had more than 5 catches, and several guys were right around the 80-100 yd marker.

I think the Browns need to upgrade the kicking position next year. At least bring in real competition to training camp. Greg Joseph really settled down after a bit of a rocky start, but I still don't trust him in a big spot.

Normally I am glad when the year is over, because it's been so bad, but it was sad to see this run finally end.

I am happy that the season is over, because maybe next year we won't find ourselves on the bad end of referees screwing up games.

That Oakland game should be looked at by NFL officials as one of the bigger screwjobs in the history of the league. The changing of the spot when the game was basically over. The phantom whistle on what was a clear fumble that would have been a touchdown no question, and a badly missed block in the back on a punt return (right after the refs changed the spot and said we didn't get a first down). Awful. Total embarrassment, but it's the Browns, so who cares.

That phantom whistle on Lamar Jackson's clear fumble was awful. That was 7 clear points taken off the board.

I get that these guys are human, and mistakes happen. It's a tough job, but there is absolutely no doubt the Browns were up against it every single week, and that's pretty weird.

Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Postgame Thoughts - 01/03/19 02:26 PM
Quote:
I tend to agree with you and hope that's true. But he will need to start making those big time throws that result in winning the game. Big time throws through 3.5 quarters are great. Big time throws that lead to wins are what separate the haves from the have nots.

He doesn't need to "start" doing it. He's done it. He led a 7 minute game winning drive late in the 4th quarter to beat the Jets. He led 2 long TD drives in the 4th quarter against the Raiders, unfortunately the defense gave up 10 points in the final 4 minutes. He led a 60 yard drive in OT to beat the Ravens. 4th quarter drives to take the lead and beat the Panthers and the Broncos.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Postgame Thoughts - 01/03/19 08:26 PM
Exactly. not sure what you have been watching this year Rishuz, but Baker has definitely led them from behind a number of times to victory. it mght not have been the last drive but they were come from behind wins.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Postgame Thoughts - 01/04/19 03:22 PM
Exactly. not sure what you have been watching this year Rishuz, but Baker has definitely led them from behind a number of times to victory. it mght not have been the last drive but they were come from behind wins.

Don't worry about him. He is a good poster who in this case doesn't know what he is talking about.

Just because he fumbled on this topic doesn't mean he is a choker.
© DawgTalkers.net