DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/04/19 03:57 AM
Well?
I believe he did.
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I believe he did.

How fitting.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/04/19 04:14 AM
Get a ring
Is different from
Earn a ring
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Get a ring
Is different from
Earn a ring

10 years from now, (if it even lasts that long) when he needs to pay his dealer, do you really think he'll be consumed by thoughts of earned vs got?
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/04/19 05:24 AM
Yep, Gordon gets a ring. As do Hoyer, Shelton, and McCourty.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/04/19 01:09 PM
yep, congrats Josh!
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/04/19 01:23 PM
Glad for Shelton. JG is fallout. I guess anybody getting one is branded a success. Just not feeling it for everybody.
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
yep, congrats Josh!

LOL....I'm not sure that Josh deserves congratulations. It's more like a combination of pity and disdain for blowing yet another opportunity.

I think of Joe Thomas who toiled for years and did everything the right way and he never even won a playoff game. Then, there is Josh Gordon who has done almost everything the wrong way and he is handed a golden opportunity to play in a Super Bowl and he blew it.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/04/19 01:43 PM
I’m hoping the 9th time is the charm for Josh ... hopefully he “gets it” this time ... turning his life around and being truely happy and at peace with himself may not be in the cards for him as I’m not so sure the “wiring” isn’t the issue ... BUT I sure hope he can turn it around and live a happy and productive life ... whatever that means for him ..

GOOD LUCK THIS TIME JOSH ... thumbsup
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/04/19 01:47 PM
Never won a playoff game, never went to a playoff game.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/04/19 02:29 PM
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I believe he did.

How fitting.

I'm sure they'll ask him for his size.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/04/19 03:01 PM
So?
Posted By: eotab Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/04/19 03:26 PM
I hope not, he didn't got on the IR with an Injury, he went AWOL due to another dirty test.

to quote doctor Phil on those who have a problem such as Gordon:"You don't reward bad behavior"

If he gets a ring it is actually a disservice to him. He's been rewarded his entire life: How good has that been for him?

So hope he does not get a ring, I believe its voted on by the players??? Of course I hope they do what is best for Gordon and that is to not reward him.
jmho, just a coincidence but the Pats started to become a Championship team after Gordon left them wink
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/04/19 03:32 PM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/04/josh-gordon-gets-a-super-bowl-ring/

Josh Gordon gets a Super Bowl ring

Posted by Mike Florio on February 4, 2019, 5:59 AM EST

He’s suspended and reportedly still in rehab. But Patriots receiver Josh Gordon has won a Super Bowl ring.

The 27-year-old receiver, who had his best season since 2013 in 11 games with the Patriots before triggering his latest suspension for violating the terms of the substance-abuse policy, will receive the piece of jewelry that goes to the NFL champion.

The bigger question is whether Gordon will be playing for the Patriots, or anyone else, in 2019. A report from NFL Media (which can be regarded in matters such as this as an announcement from the league) that he may be reinstated for training camp underscores the reality that the NFL currently does whatever it wants to do when it comes to the terms of the policy, which as written would compel a mandatory suspension of at least one calendar year.

But it’s good that the league will work with players, instead of adhering to the strict letter of the law. It’s definitely good for Gordon and the Patriots, who may be together again as New England begins to embark on its quest for a seventh Super Bowl championship.
Posted By: eotab Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/04/19 03:36 PM
Well of course being a first time offender its good that Gordon is getting a break... willynilly
J/C

Pretty sure his ring will be pawn shop sooner than later.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/04/19 03:51 PM
Yes he did,., Amazing. So did Brian Hoyer and Danny Shelton.
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Danny played at least, Hoyer practiced at least. . .
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/04/19 04:34 PM
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
The bigger question is whether Gordon will be playing for the Patriots, or anyone else, in 2019. A report from NFL Media (which can be regarded in matters such as this as an announcement from the league) that he may be reinstated for training camp underscores the reality that the NFL currently does whatever it wants to do when it comes to the terms of the policy, which as written would compel a mandatory suspension of at least one calendar year.

But it’s good that the league will work with players, instead of adhering to the strict letter of the law. It’s definitely good for Gordon and the Patriots, who may be together again as New England begins to embark on its quest for a seventh Super Bowl championship.

I called it. The league would find a way to get him back on the field early. Had the same thing happened to the Browns in week 16, Josh would have been out all of 2019 no matter what.

Total BS.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/04/19 06:47 PM
Originally Posted By: willitevachange

So if they are giving Gordon a ring, are they also paying him for the playoff games he wasn't a part of?

Divisional Round: $29,000
Conference Championship: $54,000
Super Bowl Winner: $118,000

Total $201,000
Congrats to Josh.maybe that hardware will help him turn it around.
for everyone saying Josh doesnt deserve it..
well he had no choice where he was traded to.
he just happen to be traded to one of the most dominant franchises in pro sports.
as far as Joe Thomas goes he could asked to be traded to a,playoff team but he vetoed it.so thats in him.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/04/19 08:41 PM
[quote=Damanshot]Yes he did,., Amazing. So did Brian Hoyer and Danny Shelton.

True, But really, I think Gordon had something like 700+ yards receiving so he wasn't horrible.. I think he played in 10 games.... So he probably played more than Shelton.

Funny how that works LOL
Posted By: jaybird Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/05/19 12:35 AM
Totally agree... it's utter crap.... dude got suspended for how many games with us? It's like is fifth substance abuse violation....
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

So if they are giving Gordon a ring, are they also paying him for the playoff games he wasn't a part of?

Divisional Round: $29,000
Conference Championship: $54,000
Super Bowl Winner: $118,000

Total $201,000

If he doesn't get paid, I don't see why he would get paid for games he was suspended for.

I think the team decides on the ring, but the league decides on pay during a suspension.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/05/19 08:20 AM
Then if it’s Kraft’s decision, then getting a ring is not as cut and dry as this thread would lead you to believe it is.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/05/19 05:39 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I think the team decides on the ring, but the league decides on pay during a suspension.

Even if I'm the backup punter on the practice squad, I'm voting against Gordon. He bailed on the team right when they needed him the most. Well, they didn't need him, but you know what I mean.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/05/19 05:49 PM
While they didn't "need him" to win the SB, when your O only posts 13 points in a game, they sure could have used him.

wink
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/05/19 08:42 PM
On the flip side, I have to wonder what it would be like to see this massive piece of jewelry, know what it takes to earn one... then have to live with the knowledge that I didn't even suit up for the games that got me that ring.

I don't know Josh Gordon, but I know myself. That ring would mock me every single day until I sold it, gave it away... or tossed it into the river.

The guilt and shame would be too much for me to endure. That thing would have to go.

The only possible way I could keep it would be to serve as motivation to fix my life, going forward. I could never wear it in public.

Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
On the flip side, I have to wonder what it would be like to see this massive piece of jewelry, know what it takes to earn one... then have to live with the knowledge that I didn't even suit up for the games that got me that ring.

I don't know Josh Gordon, but I know myself. That ring would mock me every single day until I sold it, gave it away... or tossed it into the river.

The guilt and shame would be too much for me to endure. That thing would have to go.

The only possible way I could keep it would be to serve as motivation to fix my life, going forward. I could never wear it in public.

I don't know Gordon either, but from reports of how he acted in the locker room, I don't think it would bother him.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/05/19 09:10 PM
Our locker room or theirs? Linky?

Genuinely interested.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/06/19 04:43 AM
Dawg, it would mess me up. Big time.

I was too indoctrinated by My Pops in the Protestant Work Ethic to ever feel comfortable with an award I didn't earn.

"Anything worth having is worth working for; anything you get without earning is worthless."

I pity anyone who doesn't get this... because there are those nights at 3AM when a person can't get to sleep- and can't run from who they are. Even those who spend a lifetime running from it have that 'moment of clarity' on their death beds when they are forced to deal with The Truth about themselves.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/06/19 10:30 AM
Quote:
... because there are those nights at 3AM when a person can't get to sleep- and can't run from who they are. Even those who spend a lifetime running from it have that 'moment of clarity' on their death beds when they are forced to deal with The Truth about themselves.

thumbsup People should read this every day before they get out of bed!
Good post. We could use more people who have a great work ethic and are serious about being accountable and less folks who feel they are entitled to a wide variety of things, whether they be tangible or not.
Posted By: eotab Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/06/19 02:40 PM
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
Congrats to Josh.maybe that hardware will help him turn it around.
for everyone saying Josh doesnt deserve it..
well he had no choice where he was traded to.
he just happen to be traded to one of the most dominant franchises in pro sports.
as far as Joe Thomas goes he could asked to be traded to a,playoff team but he vetoed it.so thats in him.

I could be but I could have sworn we simply CUT HIM when he showed up a day before our 1st game where he was going to be our starter, with a pulled HAMMY and then he lied about how he got it (I believe it was from some Ad shooting or something of that nature) not that how he got it was important but Hue felt he was betrayed by Gordon and How Hue looked to Dorsey who I think didn't want him here in the first place but being a good GM was giving Hue what he wanted. So he then was cut. I thought the wrong time to do so.

I would have preferred a recovery and then some good play still showing the NFL that he hasn't fallen back in the drug thing...THEN TRADE HIM. But we just cut him after all those years.

Browns wise I sort am pleased that he showed we made the right move by cutting him and that he simply cannot be relied upon.

Humanity wise, I hate the fact that he fell back and got a Dirty test result as he made some mistakes over the years but he was looking be over the NEED FOR POT and with his last dirty test being of one that in the present format would not even be considered dirty as it was a very small level of Pot in the system. I thought with the Long rehab by choice not by Judge mandate. Even the fact that he place himself in rehab as the Training camp football fever put him in a danger zone to fall back so he put himself in to be ready for the season. I though ALL WAS GOOD.

All was not good. So I think he should not be in football AT ALL. That Football has kept him out of REALITY he has to fall to the lowest level and SURVIVE and then want to become a man without addiction. FOR his Life I want him out of football...can he make a comeback in his 30's. As it is now he will be 28 in August.

Again you should not reward BAD BEHAVIOR. He doesn't appear to be a BAD Person with bad intent. But he is a definite ADDICT.

jmho
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/06/19 06:24 PM
My neighbor doesn't think Gordon deserves a Ring.. Not because of his performance, it was decent during the year with the Pats, but because of the drugs.. it's like he was rewarded for doing bad things.

Does he get a winners check?
If he doesn't get paid while suspended, I have to believe that he doesn't receive a playoff check while being suspended.

Not paying a player while under suspension is a league issue. The individual teams decide who gets a ring.

The NFL pays for 150 rings for a team. The roster, IR, coaches, and front office would all seems the top choices for a ring. I have read that some teams also give rings to their support staff, like home locker room attendants, grounds crew, and such. A team can give out as many as they want, but the NFL only pays for 150.
think about the Browns have a WR room now where all act like PROS. they show up on time work hard
they are dedicated to their position.
everybody is pushing each other to get better.
out goes Josh in comes Jarvis.
new culture.
Posted By: eotab Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/07/19 04:02 PM
Also probably just a coincidence if you believe in them...But the Pats started playing like a Championship contender - After Gordon left the team.

Just saying. WR elite is an over rated position. Its a team sport not individual. I still have yet seen a team built around a WR and win a Championship.

Oddly not many of those Elite WRs make it to the Big game.
Let alone get a ring.

Yeah I don't see Gordon earning that ring. He wasn't with them in training camp. Most of the Losses by the Pats were with Gordon on the roster and playing.

The big finish and Playoff run Gordon was not participating in any way.

If out of football and hitting a low spot unless he has saved his money that he got wisely. Probably owes Agents a ton of money, taxes, man I don't see this looking pretty if he's out of football.

That ring will show up on a ebay auction of something, pretty soon.

What a shame...of course none of this happened yet but just doesn't look promising to me.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/07/19 08:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
think about the Browns have a WR room now where all act like PROS. they show up on time work hard
they are dedicated to their position.
everybody is pushing each other to get better.
out goes Josh in comes Jarvis.
new culture.

So true, but the really sad thing is, none of our current receivers could hold a candle to the talent Josh has... What a waste he was and is.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/07/19 08:10 PM
You'd have to be as high as Josh Gordon was to think that he's not getting a ring.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/08/19 07:54 PM
Quote:
I still have yet seen a team built around a WR and win a Championship.

I don't understand the concept of "built around"... I mean, you add pieces, you add talent at positions where you don't have talent, at some point, if you are lucky, you have enough talent at enough positions to compete for championships.

If you have an extremely talented WR, it makes sense that you want a talented QB who can get him the ball (you probably want one anyway just because you need one)

"Built around" just seems like who was there first.. Michael Irvin was in Dallas before Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith, does that mean they "built around" Michael Irvin? Or did they just add highly talented people at other positions that helped make Irvin that much more successful?
Posted By: Tyler_Derden Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/08/19 11:01 PM
Good for JG......in my idea of a perfect world.....I think the league really screwed over Gordon....

I don't think his pot hobby is worthy of the years of suspensions he's been confronted with....

So, getting a ring, imo, is kinda like poetic justice.....karma.....or whatever you call it...

Good for Josh Gordon..
Posted By: JulesDawg Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/09/19 12:34 AM
Originally Posted By: Tyler_Derden
Good for JG......in my idea of a perfect world.....I think the league really screwed over Gordon....

I don't think his pot hobby is worthy of the years of suspensions he's been confronted with....

So, getting a ring, imo, is kinda like poetic justice.....karma.....or whatever you call it...

Good for Josh Gordon..

Couldn’t disagree more. You and I agree on one thing in the world, and that is the ridiculous war on drugs, however, Josh knew the rules, just like the rest of the players. And to pretend it was only pot is a joke. Josh chose to deal with his issues in a way that let himself and others down. That is an odd thing to applaud.
Yep, it kills me when people say he was only smoking pot. Dude admitted to much more.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/09/19 05:23 PM

Gordon's issues run much deeper than pot smoking and drug doing... I used to worry that we'd lose Gordon and he'd go on to another team and have a hall of fame career. At this point, I don't care about that. I'd love to see him get his mental health issues straightened out and go on and be a HOF WR, even if it's with the Patriots. A lot of Cleveland fans are quick to judge and hold a grudge against him.

I guess I'm in the minority because I'm rooting for Josh.
Posted By: eotab Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/09/19 07:05 PM
Yeah I understand the concept of pieces...actually I preach that regarding the WR position.

What I'm saying is this fixation, this Fantasy football need for a special WR.

And yet I see Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson...tremendous WRs all of them and yet their teams do not accomplish much and don't really make any serious runs for a Championship.

So when I state building a team around a WR...that is what I mean.

jmho
Posted By: jacksondawg Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/12/19 10:00 PM
one very troubled kid glad he is getting a ring because of all the tribulation he has faced and will face.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/12/19 10:02 PM
It's a true testament of how rewarding that constantly breaking the rules and not putting your team above your own selfishness can be.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/12/19 10:09 PM
Originally Posted By: eotab
Yeah I understand the concept of pieces...actually I preach that regarding the WR position.

What I'm saying is this fixation, this Fantasy football need for a special WR.

And yet I see Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson...tremendous WRs all of them and yet their teams do not accomplish much and don't really make any serious runs for a Championship.

So when I state building a team around a WR...that is what I mean.

jmho

Well, football is a team game. And while passing has been more occurring than ever before, the Patriots are arguably the best dynasty the sport has ever seen. At least since the 1950-60s Browns. Wouldn't that be a game to watch if we could? To see Bill B go against Paul Brown? They're both playing 4D chess while everyone else is playing checkers.

Anyway, my point is, if the Patriots didn't win all those Super Bowls, how many star WRs do? Of course we'll never know, but I'm just saying that Julio and others might have gotten a ring if it wasn't for Brady and BB.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Did Josh Gordon just get a SB ring? - 02/13/19 02:05 AM
Quote:
Josh knew the rules, just like the rest of the players. And to pretend it was only pot is a joke. Josh chose to deal with his issues in a way that let himself and others down. That is an odd thing to applaud.

If the human mind could be understood... Most of us know the rights and wrongs of the so called laws of men / women. But many don't fall into those because what men / woman who made the laws of righteousness followed them or why did they think that way ?

Again it's nothing more than people judging people..when no one really should judge anyone...Again it's people being people..whose right..who's wrong ?

It's a game of football...
You have to remember that Jules was responding to a post that said that the NFL screwed over Josh Gordon for only smoking pot. That simply isn't true.
© DawgTalkers.net