DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Areas to Improve - 10/08/19 10:15 PM
What needs to improve for Seattle (and for the rest of the year)

- Once again, GO BACK to the offense that WORKED.
- Don’t force feed OBJ and don’t get too cute with him either. If they double him and roll tons of coverage to him ... then use the other weapons effectively
- Our run D has to be on point this week .. Seattle’s PA game is no joke and they can destroy you if their run game is working
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Areas to Improve - 10/08/19 11:21 PM
-Blocking
-Tackling
-Running
-Passing
-Catching
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Areas to Improve - 10/08/19 11:48 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
-Blocking
-Tackling
-Running
-Passing
-Catching

- Coaching

In addition to the others.
Posted By: FATE Re: Areas to Improve - 10/09/19 12:01 AM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
-Blocking
-Tackling
-Running
-Passing
-Catching

- Coaching

And strangely enough, never this year has it been...
-Kicking

One of our biggest worries going into the season.
Posted By: JulesDawg Re: Areas to Improve - 10/09/19 12:03 AM
-Blocking
-Tackling
-Running
-Passing
-Catching

-Better handshaking technique.

Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Areas to Improve - 10/09/19 12:03 AM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

EVERYTHING!!!!!
Posted By: Dave Re: Areas to Improve - 10/09/19 12:05 AM
For starters:

* Use the hurry-up offense early and often
* Keep Nick Chubb on the field and in the backfield for 3 downs
* Work mostly under center instead of the shotgun
* Employ lots of 3-step-drop slants, outs, and bubble screens
* Enough with the gadget plays; establish the run
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Areas to Improve - 10/09/19 12:07 AM
Originally Posted By: JulesDawg
-Blocking
-Tackling
-Running
-Passing
-Catching

-Better handshaking technique.

rofl
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Areas to Improve - 10/09/19 12:07 AM
They need to simply stick to fist bumps.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Areas to Improve - 10/09/19 01:31 AM
I'm definitely in the minority when I say I don't mind the stupid OBJ plays. I get it people would rather us do well without the gimmicks, and I get that these gadget plays aren't sustainable, but they worked when not much else was. And we were trying to shift those plays into our normal offense (ex. motioning OBJ into the backfield and then the quick give to Chubb). Plus, it's getting the ball in the hands of our most dynamic playmaker when we otherwise don't seem to be able to.

Alright, rant done...

-We need to improve on making things simpler and easier for our 2nd year QB.

-We need to feed Chubb early and often.

-We need to NOT get too far down early.

-We need Higgins back and Calloway off the field (at the risk of sounding like KoB, I'm totally done with this kid).
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Areas to Improve - 10/09/19 01:55 AM
Originally Posted By: FATE
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
-Blocking
-Tackling
-Running
-Passing
-Catching

- Coaching

And strangely enough, never this year has it been...
-Kicking

One of our biggest worries going into the season.

lol, I know eh? I was thinking of that today.., a few weeks ago we were concerned with the punting/kicking battles. Now, we're getting ready to fire the coaching staff!
Posted By: bonefish Re: Areas to Improve - 10/09/19 02:06 AM

The offense I like to run is basically what Shanahan runs.

I like run formations and wham blocks from a fullback. Boogar MacFarland pointed out it translates to any condition. Inside outside, cold weather, rain etc.

When you play under center most of the time it forces the defense to honor the run. It keeps the whole field in play. Of course you have to have the personnel and the patience to develop that offense.

When you play action pass off a run formation the quarterback turns his back on the defense. When he turns toward the defense the play is there or not. The pass routes depending upon if one or both TE's are in patterns should be clear to the quarterback. If the coverage is good the quarterback should be able to move up or slide within the pocket. Brady does it very well. Of course there are variables dependent upon the rushers. But the quarterback has maybe three reads, check down or throw it away.

You need to be patient. Take what is given. Play defense. Be able to punt and be efficient with special teams.

Shot gun, empty backfield, 3/4 wideouts, motion, all that can come into play at times.

But I like a base offense under center. Especially when you have the right back and TE's.

I don't think the Browns have it figured out yet. For one the TE's are not good blockers and they don't play a fullback.

It is clear right now Baker is getting happy feet. He does not trust the protection. His move to escape pressure is always to the right. The defense floods the right and closes the options off.

This has to change. And the way to do that is to build that platform. Run the ball early or pass from run formations.

I get we have the receivers. But I am against trying to use Odell as a runner out of the backfield.

If we run the ball and use short patterns with Odell and Landry early. Eventually big plays will be there with double moves. But you have to get the defense moving up to protect against the run and cover the short routes.

SF ran the ball right at us. And they kept doing it. That can demoralize a defense. We were proof of that.

We have the personnel to run the ball and pass underneath.

We have been to quick to abandon it. The Raven game is the way. I thought we would build on it. We did not. We panicked. Tried to be tricky. It got us little in results.

Freddie needs to adjust to what works and stick with it. Then adjust again if necessary.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Areas to Improve - 10/09/19 02:08 AM
LOL..............the crazy thing is that OBJ has been wildly successful, but some posters are trashing our coaches for trying to get him the ball.

All I know is that the best defense of OBJ is having Baker being his QB. Think about it. Landry's numbers last year were the worst of his career, other than his rookie year. This year, OBJ's lack of catches are setting new records.

Who were their great QBs in the past?

Ryan Tanneyhill
Matt Moore
Jay Cutler
Eli Manning

Somehow, those dudes got Juice and OBj the ball while playing behind pathetic offensive lines, and Baker can't.

Makes one wonder....
Posted By: Baker_Dawg Re: Areas to Improve - 10/09/19 03:45 AM
You truly are obsessed with Baker, worse than Colin cowherd. Everyone knows you hate Baker do you have to trash him on every thread. You are sad.

I think everyone needs to be more consistent against the Seahawks. Baker, the oline, wideouts. And kitchens needs run to open the pass. Our oline is not good enough to do it the other way, unless it is a quick passing game.

On D we have to stop the run.

If we do that we should be competitive with Seattle.
Posted By: GraffZ06 Re: Areas to Improve - 10/09/19 03:57 AM

Yes.

Oh and find a real owner.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Areas to Improve - 10/09/19 01:06 PM

- Once again, GO BACK to the offense that WORKED.
- Don’t force feed OBJ and don’t get too cute with him either. If they double him and roll tons of coverage to him ... then use the other weapons effectively
- Our run D has to be on point this week .. Seattle’s PA game is no joke and they can destroy you if their run game is working
Everything outside of Punting and FG kicking needs to improve. Literally EVERYTHING.

Coaching
Qb Play
Oline Play
WR play
Tackling
Catching
Throwing
Routes
Effort
Attention to detail

on and on....
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Areas to Improve - 10/09/19 01:22 PM
I get why people don't like it. It's not something you can build an offense around, and it's not sustainable. That said, I don't think we can throw out one of the few things that actually works.

Baker is disappointing, but he's a 2nd year QB. He's not going to make or break his career this season. It sucks, but only if you bought into the hype this offseason. The real thing I'm disappointed about relates to our coaching staff. I knew the offense would be a work in progress at the beginning of the seaosn, but I thought we would at least have an identity and/or be building off of what we did last year. That seemed pretty obvious to me, so I'm not sure why the coaching staff thought we could totally blow up the offense because we picked up a couple guys. I think the whole narrative that Kitchens was just along for the ride last year when the other coaches drew up and executed the offense is overblown, at least. He has lots to learn, but we knew that when he hired him (right?).
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Areas to Improve - 10/09/19 01:40 PM
Quote:
You are sad.

Thanks. I really value the opinion of a grown man who follows around a 23 year old man. LOL........you wanna talk about "sad?"
Posted By: BADdog Re: Areas to Improve - 10/09/19 05:29 PM
-Blocking
-Tackling
-Running
-Passing
-Catching

Scoring
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Areas to Improve - 10/09/19 06:14 PM
Originally Posted By: BADdog
-Blocking
-Tackling
-Running
-Passing
-Catching

Scoring

We run out of the tunnels pretty well, so we've got that going for us.
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Areas to Improve - 10/09/19 08:49 PM
Winning.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Areas to Improve - 10/09/19 09:06 PM
Aside from the position groups and tactical stuff:

- Play with more intensity and physicality
- If we make a mistake or get punched in the mouth, get back up
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Areas to Improve - 10/10/19 12:14 AM
-Not getting mauled at the LOS
-Baker knowin when to hold em and knowin when to fold em
-the occasional screen pass to counterack the rush
-the antonio callaway play never happening again
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Areas to Improve - 10/10/19 12:37 AM
I admit it, Jules.

I giggled. brownie nanner rofl
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Areas to Improve - 10/10/19 12:57 PM
j/c

Pretend like we are playing the Ravens...and make up a lie about the pre-game handshake to inspire the team.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Areas to Improve - 10/10/19 02:06 PM
I think someone should come out and say Russell Wilson shook my hand too many times before the kickoff; I felt violated
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Areas to Improve - 10/10/19 02:09 PM
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
If we make a mistake or get punched in the mouth, get back up

This is my biggest beef with every incarnation of this team since the return. Rolling over. Man up and fight until the end.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Areas to Improve - 10/10/19 03:17 PM
I think someone should come out and say Russell Wilson shook my hand too many times before the kickoff; I felt violated

He reportedly has GIANT hands.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Areas to Improve - 10/10/19 03:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

This is my biggest beef with every incarnation of this team since the return. Rolling over. Man up and fight until the end.

We often get the spiral effect.

- Get punched in the mouth
- Try to fight but lose our composure and make more stupid mistakes
- Leads to us getting punched in the mouth again
- Give up
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Areas to Improve - 10/10/19 03:48 PM
I think our team has done a good job of fighting to the end in recent years. The last time I saw a team quit on their coach was when Chudzinski was the HC. Thus, I find how we have quit in two games this year even more disturbing.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Areas to Improve - 10/10/19 04:29 PM
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie

He reportedly has GIANT hands.
naughtydevil
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Areas to Improve - 10/10/19 05:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

We often get the spiral effect.

- Get punched in the mouth
- Try to fight but lose our composure and make more stupid mistakes
- Leads to us getting punched in the mouth again
- Give up

The maddening part is it only takes one person to mess up and ruin everything. Example is the Calloway INT. We were driving, moving the ball well, called the right play and were executing until he popped it up in the air.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Areas to Improve - 10/10/19 05:30 PM

Perhaps the most obvious "area to improve" is Red Zone efficiency.

Last year the team was exceptional in the red zone. This year in the Red Zone the efficiency is down the tubes.

I listened to the presser with Monken.

He is a very straight forward guy. He tries to answer the questions. I understand the guy completely.

They are doing the things you are supposed to do after each game. The process is right. What we are seeing is people taking turns making mistakes. Mistakes that turn games. And then situations change and can snowball and they have.

Consistency is a key word. When technique is bad or there is a mental error you have to improve and not repeat mistakes.

This is the team and the coaching staff. There is no Calvary on the way to save the day. They have to get better in order to win. They have shown that it is possible. But you have to improve and not regress.

It is up to all of them.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Areas to Improve - 10/10/19 05:42 PM
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Perhaps the most obvious "area to improve" is Red Zone efficiency.

Perhaps the most obvious "area to improve" is EVERYTHING!
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Areas to Improve - 10/10/19 06:14 PM
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Areas to Improve - 10/10/19 06:26 PM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

That's cool and all, but we'll see what's what on Sunday.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Areas to Improve - 10/10/19 06:32 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

Yep, put up or shut up for us
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Areas to Improve - 10/10/19 07:06 PM

Everyone has great practices until they get punched in the mouth.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Areas to Improve - 10/10/19 07:27 PM

And we don't practice penalties.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Areas to Improve - 10/10/19 07:53 PM
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Areas to Improve - 10/10/19 08:05 PM
I guess Ward and Williams will never play again.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Areas to Improve - 10/10/19 08:19 PM
Loving the fact we'll get Higgins back. Won't fix everything that ails us on offense, but it's gotta help a little.

Hoping we're getting Greedy and Ward back to a 'for real' 100% after the bye.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Areas to Improve - 10/10/19 08:31 PM

This is one of the better articles I have read in regard to what has gone wrong and what needs to happen.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/10/10...-baker-mayfield

Nobody is happy right now. The frustration is like a thick fog.

But in order to win games everyone needs to do a better job.

I support Freddie. I don't want to hire another coach. I want to fix what we have. If that means we struggle this year so be it.

If the Browns don't find a way build continuity they will never be successful.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Areas to Improve - 10/10/19 09:15 PM
Sounds like Ward/Higgy/Greedy may be out until after the Bye
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Areas to Improve - 10/10/19 11:54 PM
Thanks for posting that. Good, informative article.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Areas to Improve - 10/11/19 02:15 PM
Injury Report says Higgins was full go in practice this week.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Areas to Improve - 10/11/19 03:47 PM
I thought Freddie said they’ll take the bye into consideration though. It’d be a bonus if he’d play
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Areas to Improve - 10/11/19 03:58 PM
I thought Freddie said they’ll take the bye into consideration though. It’d be a bonus if he’d play

I read that as being in regards to Ward and G Williams.
$.02
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Areas to Improve - 10/11/19 04:47 PM
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie

I read that as being in regards to Ward and G Williams.
$.02
that could be as well
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Areas to Improve - 10/13/19 11:38 AM
Any updates on Higgy? BakerM could use him as a security blanket today if he can dress and be closer to a full go. Hope we stun them today!

Go, Browns!
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Areas to Improve - 10/13/19 01:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
LOL..............the crazy thing is that OBJ has been wildly successful, but some posters are trashing our coaches for trying to get him the ball.

All I know is that the best defense of OBJ is having Baker being his QB. Think about it. Landry's numbers last year were the worst of his career, other than his rookie year. This year, OBJ's lack of catches are setting new records.

Who were their great QBs in the past?

Ryan Tanneyhill
Matt Moore
Jay Cutler
Eli Manning

Somehow, those dudes got Juice and OBj the ball while playing behind pathetic offensive lines, and Baker can't.

Makes one wonder....

Just wow.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Areas to Improve - 10/13/19 01:12 PM
Id like to see the biggest improvement be in the W/L record ... ugly or otherwise a win would help everything about the team.

Two single game improvements i think we need are closely tied to each other and have been discussed all week.... play calling and QB play.

I don't care kif we have some short offensive series early because of this, but run the damn ball again and again and again... and find some simply underneath passes to complete and force the D to tighten up.... stop their secondary from being allowed to sit back with a 10+YARDS cushion all game.

Cant wait for kick off.
Posted By: eotab Re: Areas to Improve - 10/13/19 01:48 PM
We have to stretch the field horizontally and vertical!

We keep falling for the cramming of the box. So we end up passing way too much. Teams cram the box and then attack if its a pass they flood the outside and/or the A Gaps. If its a run they are playing all the gaps to stuff it. We go to pass way too often and don't establish the run game which would give Baker ample time to go vertical on a play action.

We should do a lot of Student body right and left with Chubb and let him pick the hole.

Also our Trap play seems to be working. But we have to get some first downs via the Run!

Defense our last game Vernon seemed to disappear Wilson will be a tough competitor as long as we come from the outside and force him in the pocket and then get creative with coming from the middle in some A gap blitzes and some DT Stunts!

Jmho we miss Wards D play been without him and Greedy since Jets game.
Posted By: Glw12 Re: Areas to Improve - 10/13/19 02:03 PM
Areas to improve needs to start at the top. Freddie needs to quit trying to be everyone's buddy and stop all this talking in the media. The team has put way too big of a bulls eye on their back.
The team is undisciplined as far as penalties and speaking out about everything they have no control of. Just do your job.
It's easy to say Baker is the problem or the oline is the problem or play calling ect...
The team needs discipline. That was one thing Gregg Williams had last year.
It takes more than just talent to win games.
Look at what Sanfancisco has done. All while staying under the radar.
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Areas to Improve - 10/13/19 03:32 PM
I picked you to reply to Bone because we seldom disagree.

I think the area the team needs to improve on above all others that will get better with time is they need to learn to grind.

What does that mean?

Teams that grind never get up to high and never get to low they stay even keeled that stick to the game plan and do their jobs in the face of adversity. This team simply gets down in the mouth to easily or to high when things are going their way. The fans do much the same.

This team was destined to struggle out of the gate the early schedule is a tough one, if this thing had been flipped I think we win most of these games but this unit from the HC to the water boy are all new to each other and that brings hick ups and false starts and highs and lows.

The good news is they will get better, talent eventually comes thru. For all the early struggles they are currently experiencing we know some things.

1-Baker can be a very efficient passer with great accuracy. It will come, his talent is still there he has a bit of adjusting to do. Its actually something we all should have expected.

2- We have great talent but they haven't played together and they still haven't learned to trust and grind together YET. They will.

Patients IMO is in short supply on all fronts the players are frustrated the fans are frustrated the coaches are frustrated and what really needs to happen is for some time to pass playing and coaching together.

They need to learn to grind to get thru the tough games if I was to be upset its they just still haven't learned that talent wins when talent grinds and this is particularly so in tough match-ups this team has to learn to grind to fight one play at a time.

Oh they talk about it but think about this how many times have they hung tough when down more then one score and won? When they do that, they will begin to become a better team. Right now their struggling (Da) and they simply must learn to fight through it.

They will get it done, I truly believe that.
Posted By: Glw12 Re: Areas to Improve - 10/13/19 03:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
I picked you to reply to Bone because we seldom disagree.

I think the area the team needs to improve on above all others that will get better with time is they need to learn to grind.

What does that mean?

Teams that grind never get up to high and never get to low they stay even keeled that stick to the game plan and do their jobs in the face of adversity. This team simply gets down in the mouth to easily or to high when things are going their way. The fans do much the same.

This team was destined to struggle out of the gate the early schedule is a tough one, if this thing had been flipped I think we win most of these games but this unit from the HC to the water boy are all new to each other and that brings hick ups and false starts and highs and lows.

The good news is they will get better, talent eventually comes thru. For all the early struggles they are currently experiencing we know some things.

1-Baker can be a very efficient passer with great accuracy. It will come, his talent is still there he has a bit of adjusting to do. Its actually something we all should have expected.

2- We have great talent but they haven't played together and they still haven't learned to trust and grind together YET. They will.

Patients IMO is in short supply on all fronts the players are frustrated the fans are frustrated the coaches are frustrated and what really needs to happen is for some time to pass playing and coaching together.

They need to learn to grind to get thru the tough games if I was to be upset its they just still haven't learned that talent wins when talent grinds and this is particularly so in tough match-ups this team has to learn to grind to fight one play at a time.

Oh they talk about it but think about this how many times have they hung tough when down more then one score and won? When they do that, they will begin to become a better team. Right now their struggling (Da) and they simply must learn to fight through it.

They will get it done, I truly believe that.

What you say makes sense but for all that talent to come together takes discipline. Do we have the leaders to make this happen? I don't know.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Areas to Improve - 10/13/19 03:51 PM
QB play.
© DawgTalkers.net