DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Swish Post game - 11/10/19 09:26 PM
We won. All that matters.

And guess what? Chubb and hunt ABSOLUTELY WORKS
Posted By: Swish Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:30 PM
And, baker with a game winning drive.

That’s what we all needed to see. Baker has it, but Freddie needs to make better calls.
Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:30 PM
If today is any indication I think you have to get Hunt signed to an extension and rework Chubb so both guys are happy. They both seem to open everything up

We could feature our entire offense around these two guys and win a ring. There is more than one way to skin a cat.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:30 PM
We won despite the play calling on both offense and D, and despite the HC.

Both sides of the ball have more talent than the level they play to. Good coaches get teams to play above the level of their roster. Freddie is the opposite. Another game where he has shown no improvement.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:31 PM
Baker got it done when it mattered. To Higgins even. Imagine that.
Posted By: myka Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:32 PM
My stomach still hurts.

Feels more like the Bills lost than we won.

That fumble our D forced that just led to a first down for the Bills. Ugh I still can't get over it.

That being said...

WE WON!!!

on to the Steelers!
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:32 PM
I can agree with the top line of that post.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:33 PM
HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE PLAYCALLING!!!!!!!

We passed the damn ball TOO MANY TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our talent was the only reason we won.

Freddie had nothing to do with this win, except trying to lose it for us with his idiotic play calling!!
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:34 PM
3-6 is still a death sentence

Good to win and I hope we can get 5 more wins, but man, every play seems like a struggle.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:34 PM
a Mess..time management sucks...Chubb and Hunt and they still want to make the passing game first and formost
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:34 PM
I knew we had it all along. Go check the prediction score if you don't believe me. wink
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:34 PM
It's a win.

Must fix this "Fred Zone" offense.
Embarrassing what they did during halftime.
Posted By: TripleOption Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:35 PM
Did Baker call the last offensive play we had (not the knee...)? It seemed like he called it and FK said ok?
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:35 PM
LOL, I love it.

Fred Zone...

rofl
Posted By: Swish Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:35 PM
Watching Kareem play today...,the guy has some AMAZING hands.

And man he made some crucial blocks that spring Chubb open. This can really work guys.

Baker seemed way more comfortable today than the other games. I think having a great check down option really helped him out. Hilliard wasn’t cutting it.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:36 PM
Chubb is an absolute Beast and when Hunt gets grounded wow ... I am Happy with the win but Now lets beat PITTSBURGH !!!
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:36 PM
Never a doubt! Whew!

Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:37 PM
Yes, Hunt made some incredible blocks.
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:37 PM
I prayed towards the end that we would win this. Now I don't know if God actually intercedes in sporting events, but if he did? Thanks God!

What a game!
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:37 PM
Baker had a game winning drive smile
Posted By: bluecollarball Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:39 PM
Freddie should just dump the shovel passes, and bubble screens. I can't recall, at the moment, any time they worked. I ain't his biggest fan but we have protected the ball and limited the penalties so that's a plus.

Baker's pass to Higgins was not a one-read pass. I'm glad to see that.

I'm really glad we won.
Posted By: Swish Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:40 PM
I agree with the shovel passes. They haven’t been working as of now, though we had tons of success last season with it.

The bubble screens have worked sometimes this season. But our blocking has been subpar all year.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:41 PM
So far this year Baker has beaten Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, and Sam Darnold hummmmmmm
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:41 PM
The Chargers fired their play caller after a win, can we do the same?
Posted By: The Beast Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:42 PM
Browns won. Freddie needs to go. Those are my post game thoughts.
Posted By: The Beast Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:42 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
The Chargers fired their play caller after a win, can we do the same?

I vote for this!
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:46 PM
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
Baker got it done when it mattered. To Higgins even. Imagine that.

The throw to Landry was pretty spectacular.

I think he took a shot on that play too but of course the Bills loving broadcast with Lofton never said anything or showed it.

No matter what Baker turns out to be, you cannot question how tough and strong he is. On the one sack early he got leveled and never left his feet. The defender was just kind of hanging on.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:46 PM
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
So far this year Baker has beaten Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, and Sam Darnolds team

Fixed it, Darnold had Mono.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:48 PM
-Mack Wilson had one wiff, but man he was our most active defender all day.

-Schobert had 2 bigger tackles in the later portion of the day.

-Our secondary is obviously better with Randall in it, however he still looked rather limited at times.

-Ward is grabby, he gets away with it most of the time.

-Greddy plays un-greedy

-Our Oline push is a big problem, specially in red zone areas its magnified...Teller imo looks a little worse than Kush.

-TE Carlson cant block...well all of our TEs struggle

-Harris looked more fluid catching the ball today.

-Chubb runs hard, as always...glad to see Hunt in the mix...When we run sweeps we have Hilliard as kind of a FB...problem is he doesn't even get to his man to block...Would love a FB.

-OBJ is a suped up version of Crabtree...amazing catches, but "amazing" drops.

-Landry played his heart out, taunting has to stop.

-Higgins played very limited but came up huge in 2 plays...a big block and a big TD!

-I've seen worse from Baker, but he still needs a lot of cleaning up to do.

-Greg Robinson had at least 2/3 horrible plays

-Hubbard, I'm sure we are all king of glad he jumped

Dline...is average at best...Sheldon flashed more than anyone today imho (But he has been very quiet this year)
Posted By: Dean Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:51 PM
It’s a W. That’s all. We still don’t have an HC or a franchise QB. O-line needs help.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:53 PM
Post game thought.

Reminder! the Bengals have "TERRIBLE" linebackers, one of the games against the Bengals ought to be a blowout by running for 500 yards against them.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:54 PM
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Post game thought.

Reminder! the Bengals have "TERRIBLE" linebackers, one of the games against the Bengals ought to be a blowout by running for 500 yards against them.

Freddie won't let us run for 500 yards.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:55 PM

More than anything relief.

Looked like another loss.

There were a couple obvious things. Penalties. We did not kill ourselves.

Chubb and Hunt are effective. Credit to the plan.

The OL played a good game overall.

Baker had a decent game. Got lucky on some sure fire int's.
But he made the throws that needed to be made.

Morgan Burnett damn how about being in position?

Wilks at times must play with a true MB in a true 4-3 in certain situations. One, to stop the run. Two, spy a running quarterback.

Red Zone. Have to get better. Rub routes on quick slants. Options. When they call a particular play and Baker comes to the line. If, they don't have the wanted look; he needs to be able to option out to a different play. They also should have a pure jet sweep play.

In the end a win is a win. They are playing better. If they can can get consistent maybe we can get something going.

Posted By: BADdog Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:56 PM
We may have won because of an offside penalty by our oline that made us kick a field goal
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:57 PM
That last play to Higgins was vintage last year scheme ... put him backside, look the safety off, come back to him
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Dean
It’s a W. That’s all. We still don’t have an HC or a franchise QB. O-line needs help.

Had a franchise Qb last year, and the same guys' here,

but what was working for a 5-3 record and 28 td's had to be changed by new coaching.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
That last play to Higgins was vintage last year scheme ... put him backside, look the safety off, come back to him

Baker did a great job of looking him off as well, He read to the left and came all the way back to him.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post game - 11/10/19 09:59 PM
Bills radio guys had a good thought: the Browns DL wore down Buffalo’s OL
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Post game - 11/10/19 10:00 PM
We won, and I'm happy.

Chubb is a beast. Hunt is a valuable asset, his blocking is awesome, and you can tell that sooner or later when he gets the ball, he is going to break one.

This defense is terrible on third down. They not only can't get a stop, but they give up the biggest plays on 3rd and long.

Freddie not kicking the field goal after 7 attempts fail, was foolish. Still wasting TOs. Always a sideways run in the redzone, I don't get it.

Penalties were down, even with Landry's selfish taunting penalty.

Morgan Burnett was a liability today.

3-6. Time to work on the next one.
Posted By: Psydeffect Re: Post game - 11/10/19 10:01 PM
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Yes, Hunt made some incredible blocks.

I never knew he was such a good blocker. This team should be unstoppable with this Hunt/Chubb combo working together. Only person who can stop them is our head coach though lol.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Post game - 11/10/19 10:02 PM
Hunt and Chubb are a two headed monster that cant be stopped IF our OC and HC figure out how to use them

I was super pleased how Hunt played today (minus the shuttle pass) like he played all season with us. Way to step in young man!

Good play from our WR and rest of the team also.

They need to work on the Fred Zone all next week, because 8 goal line plays and no scores in one drive was gut wrenching. We have no game there.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post game - 11/10/19 10:03 PM
Yeah, if we sure up the red zone we are at least more “in” the race right now
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Post game - 11/10/19 10:11 PM
Agreed on all points. We won that's what matters but the coaching still seems to be a problem. If we can figure out how to use Chubb and Hunt to the max we will really have something.
Posted By: boofers20 Re: Post game - 11/10/19 10:15 PM
Gameball should go to Chris Hubbard, who took a penalty to force Freddie to go for points, which turned out to be the difference in the game
Posted By: Cincy_Dawg Re: Post game - 11/10/19 10:16 PM
Just so you know what kind of mood I was in.
Game wasn't on in my area and we're doing a kitchen reno on a 100 year old house. Today was get the water running or die time. 2 trips to Lowe's and a bunch of head scratching and we have a working sink... heard the feed but lost it as we hit 3 minutes left..... figured we lost and said " $%%#@$&*".
But I got the sink done!
About 15 minutes after the game ended I said "Alexa what was the Browns score.."|
WOW! Water and a Win!! LOL!
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Post game - 11/10/19 10:17 PM
Originally Posted By: boofers20
Gameball should go to Chris Hubbard, who took a penalty to force Freddie to go for points, which turned out to be the difference in the game

This is true. Freddie needs to put down his ego/stubborness and just take the points on 4th down.

We had this problem on the goalline beatdown also.
Posted By: Psydeffect Re: Post game - 11/10/19 10:21 PM

Post of the year right here!
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Post game - 11/10/19 10:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Psydeffect

Yep Freddie was going for it ...
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Post game - 11/10/19 10:23 PM
Agreed again. Also, Freddie shouldn't let his ego/stubbornness get in the way of playing Rashad Higgins.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Post game - 11/10/19 10:25 PM
Higgins 1 Target 1 Catch 1 TD
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Post game - 11/10/19 10:33 PM
I'm still waiting to hear from the league office about Odell's uniform. I mean, there had to be something wrong with it, right?

And I'll forgive Seibert for missing a 48 yard extra point try. He was money on the field goal.
Posted By: Psydeffect Re: Post game - 11/10/19 10:36 PM
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg
I'm still waiting to hear from the league office about Odell's uniform. I mean, there had to be something wrong with it, right?

And I'll forgive Seibert for missing a 48 yard extra point try. He was money on the field goal.

Eh, Seibert has been pretty awesome this year. I'll blame that XP on Landry, gotta control the emotions. Although I'm not mad at Landry, he balled out today. One of the main reasons we won.
Posted By: HewDawg Re: Post game - 11/10/19 10:38 PM
Originally Posted By: The Beast

Agreed. This team is too good with talent all over the place. The coaching is handcuffing a great squad. Talent won this game despite coaching.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Post game - 11/10/19 10:43 PM
Last two weeks Baker Mayfield Stats:

Att. 80 Comp. 53 511 Yards 3 TD's 0 Int's
Posted By: Swish Re: Post game - 11/10/19 10:44 PM
He does, but I get him trying to fire the team up. Trying to set the tone.

And we needed it badly today, cause this game could’ve easily started going the other direction.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post game - 11/10/19 10:45 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post game - 11/10/19 10:53 PM
Just like Drew Brees has to
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post game - 11/10/19 10:57 PM
They just had the exact same play in the Steeler game as we did ... Steelers get the call
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Post game - 11/10/19 10:58 PM
They just had the exact same play in the Steeler game as we did ... Steelers get the call

Don't they always
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Post game - 11/10/19 11:05 PM
Randall had a pretty good game today IMO, Good to have him back
Posted By: Jester Re: Post game - 11/10/19 11:43 PM
Originally Posted By: TripleOption
Did Baker call the last offensive play we had (not the knee...)? It seemed like he called it and FK said ok?

I noticed that too
Freddie looked confused on what to call
Baker seems to say some the nFreddie okay's it
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Post game - 11/10/19 11:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Swish

That’s what we all needed to see. Baker has it, but Freddie needs to make better calls.

Why did Freddie call that timeout before the 2 min warning in the 1st qtr when Buff had the ball?
Posted By: jfanent Re: Post game - 11/10/19 11:58 PM
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan

Why did Freddie call that timeout before the 2 min warning in the 1st qtr when Buff had the ball?

Lol. Freddie thought there was a 2 min warning in the 1st quarter?
Posted By: myka Re: Post game - 11/11/19 12:09 AM

Yeah, I commented on it in the "Other Games" thread.

So sick of the NFL rules being arbitrary. I don't care which way they call them but needs to be consistent.
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Post game - 11/11/19 12:10 AM
A win is a win but I think we still need a new HC.
Posted By: s003apr Re: Post game - 11/11/19 12:10 AM
Watching Kareem play today...,the guy has some AMAZING hands.

And man he made some crucial blocks that spring Chubb open. This can really work guys.

Baker seemed way more comfortable today than the other games. I think having a great check down option really helped him out. Hilliard wasn’t cutting it.

I was blown away by Hunt as a lead blocker. Way better than any of the H-back types that we have been experimenting with all season.
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Post game - 11/11/19 12:12 AM
Originally Posted By: HewDawg
Originally Posted By: The Beast

Agreed. This team is too good with talent all over the place. The coaching is handcuffing a great squad. Talent won this game despite coaching.
I agree!
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Post game - 11/11/19 12:37 AM
Baker had a game winning drive smile

5th time in 2 years.

We finally have our franchise QB.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Post game - 11/11/19 12:41 AM
I think with this talent and even an average nfl playcaller we win by two tds
Posted By: BADdog Re: Post game - 11/11/19 12:46 AM
Did anyone notice Landry was pissed and yelling at OBJ after one of his failed endzone tries from the 2. What was that about? I am assuming OBJ running a bad route that got Landry stuffed right after catch.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post game - 11/11/19 01:04 AM
Originally Posted By: BADdog
Did anyone notice Landry was pissed and yelling at OBJ after one of his failed endzone tries from the 2. What was that about? I am assuming OBJ running a bad route that got Landry stuffed right after catch.

The announcers said it was Hodge but I thought it was OBJ as well.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post game - 11/11/19 01:05 AM
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
I think with this talent and even an average nfl playcaller we win by two tds

It doesn't seem to be just the playcalling but the design as well.
Posted By: FrankPitts Re: Post game - 11/11/19 01:05 AM
Just got home from game...exhausting. We got it done. They are all must wins from here.

Go Browns!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post game - 11/11/19 01:17 AM
j/c....

- A much needed win. For the city, the fans and the team. Stadium was loud and you could feel the fans frustration w/ Freddie throughout the game.

- A win in spite of poor coaching.

- Kareem Hunt was tremendous today. Great blocking from his as well.

- Does Wilkes know we are allowed to rush more than four guys? Allen had a lot of time in the pocket. We rarely blitzed.

- Good game by Landry. I'm not sure why anyone on a 2-6 (at the time) team is taunting anyone though.

- Chubb is so good.

- Our screen passes are pitiful.

- Quit pitching the ball at the goal line over and over again. Can we not run a bootleg?

- Gold star sticker for Hubbard for the false start that caused Freddie to decide to kick the FG and actually put points on the board.

- Can't we just kneel it down and take the lead in to the half? Freddie was determined to give the Browns every chance to make mistake.

- Baker with a 4th quarter comeback and game wining drive. That's encouraging and much needed for his confidence.

- Good for Hollywood for catching the game winning TD. It was nice to see Baker make that read. Being at the game, it looked like the first look was a fade route to OBJ.

- Only four penalties on the Browns. Nice to see that issue being corrected. Progress.

- Freddie lives to see another week.

Go Browns!
Posted By: sk8termom Re: Post game - 11/11/19 01:17 AM
Great win! See you Thursday night!
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post game - 11/11/19 03:12 AM
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Post game - 11/11/19 03:16 AM
Baker seemed to make quick decisions today.

Chubb is our MVP. On our final drive his 20-yard run was a big play, he showed so much want-to. That guy is a horse.

A dogfight game, their defence is good. Our D did a great job limiting the run.
Allen is good at those throws Derek Anderson could make, skinny posts, seams, he has a gun.

Nice to get a W, yeah we're 3-6 but we ain't out of it yet.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post game - 11/11/19 04:03 AM
j/c...

Freddie running empty sets with the team backed up in their own end zone was another boneheaded call. Let the defense pin their ears back rather than use Chubb or Hunt to get some breathing room.

Result.....safety.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Post game - 11/11/19 04:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Psydeffect

I can only read this 3 times until I point out I'm pretty sure he was the one who got beat by the player who made the tackle on the "Safety" .
Posted By: Psydeffect Re: Post game - 11/11/19 04:48 AM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Freddie running empty sets with the team backed up in their own end zone was another boneheaded call. Let the defense pin their ears back rather than use Chubb or Hunt to get some breathing room.

Result.....safety.

Not trying to toot my horn, but I called that sitting at the bar when they shifted to empty backfield....and low and behold it happened lol
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Post game - 11/11/19 07:12 AM
An ugly win, and maybe they'll start to play better?

Kitchens only stays if we finish 8-8 or better. if not, fire him.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Post game - 11/11/19 08:36 AM
Originally Posted By: BADdog
We may have won because of an offside penalty by our oline that made us kick a field goal

I agree. I wad happy as heck we were offsides.

I don't have a big issue with the play calling. Play calling always sucks if the play doesn't work. My issue with Freddie is passing up points to prove some point. We should have kicked the field goal in the first quarter.

It all worked out but those 3 points we passed on were looking pretty darn important late in the game.

Freddie, here is a hint, early in games, take the points. Go for it later in games if needed.
Posted By: mac Re: Post game - 11/11/19 10:00 AM
I agree, take the points early in a game.

Those looking for the 'perfect win'...you just witnessed one.

..a win is a win!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post game - 11/11/19 10:11 AM
I agree with everyone saying take the points ... NFL games are a grind and usually end up being field position, clock management, etc ... if you can get points, take them
Posted By: keithfromxenia Re: Post game - 11/11/19 11:35 AM
milk, what stood out in that play was not the play call. It was not the empty set. It was the absolute absence of offensive line play. Baker did not even get turned around before the defenders were all over him. Coach calls a play assuming his guys will do their jobs. Our o line did not.
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Post game - 11/11/19 11:54 AM
Glad to see Hunt finally play.
Happy we win but still don't like Kitchens.
Hope this is a turning point and start of a winning streak.
This team has lots of talent and might win in spite of Kitchens.
GO BROWNS!
Posted By: rastanplan Re: Post game - 11/11/19 12:00 PM
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia
milk, what stood out in that play was not the play call. It was not the empty set. It was the absolute absence of offensive line play. Baker did not even get turned around before the defenders were all over him. Coach calls a play assuming his guys will do their jobs. Our o line did not.

I think the lack of a good TE is hurting us the most.

Is there a relation between OL quality and red zone efficiency?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post game - 11/11/19 12:31 PM
Lack of TE is a huge hole on our roster .. baker doesn’t have that safety net, our blocking/versatility in the red zone is a huge issue, and we can’t use the middle of the field like we’d like to
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post game - 11/11/19 12:50 PM
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Post game - 11/11/19 01:21 PM
There was today. Incredibly bad at the one. Wow. Wonder what we need to work on this week. This was a win, but hardly a signature win, one for the ages.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Post game - 11/11/19 01:28 PM
Agreed. If Njkou was playing our O would be better. Also, I don't know what's going on behind the scene's but Higgins should be playing more. He and Baker seem to have some chemistry AND he catches the ball. IT's a moot point now but IMO we should never have traded Avery. Again, I don't know what's going on behind the scene's but to me he could have been a productive rotational player on the D line. I don't kike to see us sit or trade players that can help us win.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Post game - 11/11/19 01:34 PM
A win is a win, I suppose. However, I did not feel good after this game. I feel the Browns won in spite of Freddie Kitchens and his decision-making and play calls are absolutely astounding.

Positives
- I thought Baker had one of his best games of the season.
- Additionally, I thought Landry had one of his best games as a Brown. It wasn't overwhelming in terms of the stat sheet but thought this was perhaps the first time where he was consistently showing up throughout the entire game and was very efficient as a receiver. However, he needs to be more mature and a better leader on the field. His taunting other players and whining on the sidelines looks childish. Odell was whining as well, however, so it wasn't just him.
- Hubbard might have had his best play of his two years by committing the false start and saving Kitchens from himself.
- I was pleasantly surpsrised by Kareem Hunt as I didn't exepct him to play that much. His blocking was superb and thought he was a welcomed addition in the passing game.

Negatives
-T.J. Carrie
-Chris Hubbard
-Freddie Kitchens
-Odell's continued drops
-Pitches to the outside on 4th and 1/inches. Not doing a QB sneak when we had 8 chances on fourth and one (or less)

Mixed
- Our starting CBs. I thought there were plays where they flashed and others where I scratched my head re: tackling, coverage, etc.

Posted By: Damanshot Re: Post game - 11/11/19 01:36 PM
We won, I'm happy but that was ugly.

We still have an Oline problem.

Enjoyed watching the tandem of Hunt and Chubb...

We can win like that for the rest of the season, I'd be fine with that. My heart wouldn't be however.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post game - 11/11/19 01:39 PM
In terms of our “negatives” ... I felt at times our DBs were too lax in coverage, especially when I don’t think Buffalo’s playmakers are that daunting.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Post game - 11/11/19 01:47 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post game - 11/11/19 02:03 PM
I do sense he’s calmed down a bit in the pocket and is more decisive ... the next few weeks must continue the trend.

Looking back, we’ve played some GOOD defenses the first half of the season. There’s no teams like the Giants, Bucs, Cardinals, Falcons, etc
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post game - 11/11/19 02:11 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Dave Re: Post game - 11/11/19 02:50 PM
I have to ask this because I'm not sure I saw what I think I saw ... did anyone else think there were a couple passes to Beckham where he appeared to try to make a one-hand catch when he could have used two hands? One was on the first interference call in the end zone and the other was on the right sideline later in the game.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Post game - 11/11/19 03:01 PM
j/c.. we beat a 6-2 team and at least 40% of the comments are negative...

Baker played well...

Chubb and Hunt can coexist...

Anybody who said this team quit or has checked out was wrong...

Game plan on both sides of the ball was good...

Still need to figure out our Fred Zone offense... It was clear they didn't think we could run it in so they just mugged OBJ every time the ball when in his direction...

The taunting call on Landry that made us try (and miss) a 50 yard XP could have cost us the game...

Was glad we jumped offsides and had to kick a FG...

We still need to upgrade the OT...
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Post game - 11/11/19 03:07 PM
I agree. The Bills are a good team. It's not like we squeaked one out against a poor team. The Bills D is for real.

Good win
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Post game - 11/11/19 03:10 PM
Someone needs to take the play calling away from Freddie. And the missed tackles are really bothersome. Other than that, a win is a win. Lets hope we can make it 2 in a row!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post game - 11/11/19 03:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave
I have to ask this because I'm not sure I saw what I think I saw ... did anyone else think there were a couple passes to Beckham where he appeared to try to make a one-hand catch when he could have used two hands? One was on the first interference call in the end zone and the other was on the right sideline later in the game.

Several people in my section were screaming, "enough with the one handed catches, Odell! Two hands!"

That's my anecdotal evidence for you. smile
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Post game - 11/11/19 03:26 PM
Watching the replay Garrett had a sack and it was never recorded they have him with 10 when he should have 11 ... How many others saw his sack?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post game - 11/11/19 03:35 PM
Watching the replay Garrett had a sack and it was never recorded they have him with 10 when he should have 11 ... How many others saw his sack?

It was ruled in an incomplete pass. This happened twice yesterday.
Posted By: Dave Re: Post game - 11/11/19 03:36 PM
Are you talking about the play that appeared to be a Josh Allen fumble that the refs ruled was an incomplete pass?
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post game - 11/11/19 03:38 PM
I have a homework assignment for anyone that might care to do it.

1. Other than the Redzone, did Freddie ever call 2 consecutive run plays? I don't think he did but would like confirmation.

2. Is there a tell with Baker's Bernie under center stance or does he have the same stance every time under center? I'm just curious on this one.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post game - 11/11/19 03:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
I have a homework assignment for anyone that might care to do it.

1. Other than the Redzone, did Freddie ever call 2 consecutive run plays? I don't think he did but would like confirmation.

2. Is there a tell with Baker's Bernie under center stance or does he have the same stance every time under center? I'm just curious on this one.

Your observation is correct. The Browns never ran the ball on consecutive plays other than at the goal line.

Also, looks like Baker threw the ball eleven times from under center. I do not recall if he had the Bernie stance on those as well as the run plays from under center.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401127939
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post game - 11/11/19 03:57 PM
He has the same stance every time under center...Bernie stance...leg shifted back...run or pass...but I was wondering if there was anything slightly different at any time that might be a tell. I read something about this on another board and it got me curious.

Thanks for the info Milk. I noticed too many times if Chubb got a big 7 or 8 yard chunk, we went directly to the pass after. Very frustrating.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post game - 11/11/19 04:18 PM
Just watched the replay of the safety. In the game day thread I said it wasn't Baker's fault. I was wrong. While the play call was idiotic, Baker's first read, Hunt, was wide open. He just needed to drop, plant, and throw with a little anticipation. For some unknown reason he came off that read and was also completely unaware that Edmunds had crept up to the line of scrimmage. Baker was completely unaware of what was going on on the right side of the field.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post game - 11/11/19 04:24 PM
I noticed too many times if Chubb got a big 7 or 8 yard chunk, we went directly to the pass after. Very frustrating.

It was maddening to the point fans started chanting..."Chubb! Chubb! Chubb!"

On another note, before Hubbard's miracle false start, this may have been the first game I have been at where the stadium was booing the HC for going for it on 4th down.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post game - 11/11/19 04:27 PM
Just watched the replay of the safety. In the game day thread I said it wasn't Baker's fault. I was wrong. While the play call was idiotic, Baker's first read, Hunt, was wide open. He just needed to drop, plant, and throw with a little anticipation. For some unknown reason he came off that read and was also completely unaware that Edmunds had crept up to the line of scrimmage. Baker was completely unaware of what was going on on the right side of the field.

Note Dan Orlovsky's comment under Trotter's tweet.....

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post game - 11/11/19 05:22 PM
Gosh, we had a LB on OBJ ... who then traded him off to a CB who left Hunt. That’s an easy read IMO
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Post game - 11/11/19 05:28 PM

No that wasn't it, I went back and looked again, he and Thomas both hit the QB with 11:30 left in the 3rd Quarter around the 50 yard line, they sacked him and they gave the sack to Thomas when it should've been 1/2 sack apiece ...
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Post game - 11/11/19 05:34 PM
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

U wanna see negative go read the game day thread .... I thought we were down 3 or 4 scores by the end of the first quarter ... i thought some of these guys were gonna commit Harie carie during the game we were so bad ... *L* ...
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Post game - 11/11/19 05:44 PM
It's funny. People say there's no such thing as a moral victory. Yet those same people have no problem claiming there is something they seem to call an immoral victory.

"We won! Yeah, but...."
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post game - 11/11/19 05:55 PM

No that wasn't it, I went back and looked again, he and Thomas both hit the QB with 11:30 left in the 3rd Quarter around the 50 yard line, they sacked him and they gave the sack to Thomas when it should've been 1/2 sack apiece ...

Good call. Here's the link with video....

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/video/chad-thomas-drops-josh-allen-for-third-down-sack
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Post game - 11/11/19 06:02 PM
j/c.. we beat a 6-2 team and at least 40% of the comments are negative.

They should be negative until this team learns how to play NFL quality winning football.

The Home Steeler game is 3 days out, and the Browns are coming off a disasterous 5 game losing streak fixed only by a 30/70 wrong call by the officials, giving Baker a "forward pass" on his bumbled flip handoff.

Yet also robbing Myles Garrett of Two forced fumbles which looked more convincing than what was "given" to the steelers later in the night,
( Rams forward pass of 12 yards was called a fumble, gmab)

Browns are playing bad
Defense can't force turnovers or get defensive touchdowns.

Offense can't get a run for positive yards 5 times from the one.

Offense can't use Beckham any better than Taylor Gabriel, and he should be benched at least part of the time
To Get Higgans, and Callaway on the field at the same time like last year!

Offense sat Callaway as a healthy scratch, and
Sat Higgans for the previous 4 games plus.

Everything should be negative until they start acting like they know how to play winning football in the NFL.

I don't know, checking my glasses, Did the Browns have a 20 point lead at some time during yesterdays game,
did they win any games by 20, or did they win by 10 yesterday,
have they been up double digit points at any time in the last few games?

All comments should be alright being negative until this team even "looks the part" of a playoff team, at any point in the regular season,
Which they haven't this year!

Even after gaining Beckham, the Steelers losing Bell, Ben, and Antonil, The Bengals starting 0-9
and the Ravens continuing with a lesser Qb who can't compare to your own quarterback,

You stil look like a "bad team" and secured last place in any division that didn't have a winless team in it,
are still 3.5 games out of any playoff spot, (if a dozen things went your way)

And they still only won by 2, for their first win at home , All Year, 2 weeks before Thanksgiving!

So Suck it up, figure out why 12 outta 16 AFC teams can all figure out how to win games and stay ahead of you in the playoff hunt,
Without doing mega crazy off season moves,

But they win with regular players already on their team.

And you are still trying to do shovel slant passes behind the line of scrimmage 10-20 offensive plays a game.

Want a positive comment buy a dog.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Post game - 11/11/19 06:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave
Are you talking about the play that appeared to be a Josh Allen fumble that the refs ruled was an incomplete pass?

There were 2 of those you know.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post game - 11/11/19 06:19 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Post game - 11/11/19 06:20 PM
Not sure Doug Dieken had a clue what was going on.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post game - 11/11/19 06:25 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post game - 11/11/19 06:30 PM
lol he was so dispassionate
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Post game - 11/11/19 06:34 PM
He was probably wondering who Rashard Higgins was, since Freddie never plays him.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Post game - 11/11/19 06:34 PM

Baker played well...

Still need to figure out our Fred Zone offense... It was clear they didn't think we could run it in so they just mugged OBJ every time the ball when in his direction...

The taunting call on Landry that made us try (and miss) a 50 yard XP could have cost us the game...

You have yet to enter the "Freddie Zone."

Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Post game - 11/11/19 06:37 PM

Baker played well...

50% of your own comments were negative. grin

I get it though. I'd probably feel better about the win if it didn't feel like we just sort of limped into one. We had something like 11 shots at a TD from inside the 2, and we only got 3 points total. And the only reason we got the three is because a penalty saved Kitchens from himself.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Post game - 11/11/19 06:37 PM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

LOL!!...Someone wake up Doug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Post game - 11/11/19 06:39 PM

LOL!!

The "Freddie Zone" in a nutshell!
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Post game - 11/11/19 06:44 PM

LOL!!

The "Freddie Zone" in a nutshell!

Nope ... she manages to punch it through on the 4th try.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Post game - 11/11/19 06:54 PM

JW, the heir apparent, getting cute on Twitter.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post game - 11/11/19 07:04 PM
j/c...

Callaway getting his 5th chance with the team. I'm sure he'll get it this time....

Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post game - 11/11/19 07:12 PM
We should never hear from JW Johnson again.

These guys don't have any clue what it's like to be a lifelong fan of this team. That's true of Haslam all the way down to the players, Baker included.

Quit talking about the fans and just win football games.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Post game - 11/11/19 07:16 PM

This all stems from a generation that doesn't comprehend that respect is earned, not given.
Posted By: columbusdawg Re: Post game - 11/11/19 07:24 PM

JW, the heir apparent, getting cute on Twitter.

I didn’t go yesterday, the Denver game broke me. Sold the tix on NFL ticket exchange for almost face value. Likely to Bills fans. I’ve been going to almost every game since 03. I’ve finally lost interest in going I think. I’ll be there this Thursday, not sure about the rest of the games. Getting up at 5:30am to tailgate and go to the games is getting old. I’ll probably keep my tix but sell a lot of them in the future. I hate this team. But I love them for some reason too.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post game - 11/11/19 07:28 PM
Columbus, I don't blame you bud.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post game - 11/11/19 07:29 PM
Our management and ownership is clueless when it comes to the real fans ... and they don’t care, despite their narrative

The fact that they’d say anything to the fans except “Sorry” is off base
Posted By: Dave Re: Post game - 11/11/19 07:35 PM
The fans might reasonably say to JW "YOU do something about it!".
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post game - 11/11/19 07:36 PM
JW struts around in his cowboy boots on the field before the game and has players autograph stuff for his kids instead of other kids.

JW reminds me of Scumbag Steve.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post game - 11/11/19 07:42 PM
JW struts around in his cowboy boots on the field before the game and has players autograph stuff for his kids instead of other kids.

It all starts with ownership.

Which explains the product on the field.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Post game - 11/11/19 07:44 PM
And this is the guy most likely taking over....*shivers*
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post game - 11/11/19 07:46 PM
Posted By: Southwestdawg Re: Post game - 11/11/19 08:10 PM
j/c...

Result.....safety.

That is when I took my dog for a walk. Rookie HC or not that was a really boneheaded call.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Post game - 11/11/19 08:14 PM

It wasn't for some unknown reason.. go to this link and pause it about the :50 second mark into the video with the view from behind Baker.. you will see a large DT leaping, arm extended, right in what should have been the throwing lane.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post game - 11/11/19 08:25 PM
Not seeing it. Ball had to come out before that.

Due to Baker's height those lanes are pretty much the same on almost every throw.

Even if Baker had to throw it a little early and it was incomplete that would have been a better result. With an empty backfield he should have sensed he wasn't going to have much time.

Growing pains.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Post game - 11/11/19 08:32 PM

If true, how does that happen??? The team spends the night in a hotel, even for home games. At least, they used to.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Post game - 11/11/19 08:34 PM

Due to Baker's height those lanes are pretty much the same on almost every throw.

Even if Baker had to throw it a little early and it was incomplete that would have been a better result. With an empty backfield he should have sensed he wasn't going to have much time.

Growing pains.

When Baker threw the Shovel pass - bang, bang - people said it was his fault.

If he throws this pass and he can't know if his target is open - and it's picked for 6 pts I can't imagine the noise. If he throws it and it's batted in the air by a DT and caught for a TD same deal .

There was no good outcome from this play call. And the Safety might well have been the best outcome possible. A bit like the penalty that forced us to take the 3 pts.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Post game - 11/11/19 08:46 PM

Who is JW?
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post game - 11/11/19 08:50 PM
That is not true.

Even pre snap the CB was completely playing off Hunt. Even if Baker is rushed you throw it outside and away with anticipation. Worst case incompletion.

It's not a big deal. Live and learn. Baker has steadily played better as the season has gone on. That means he has a brain and is learning. More of these things are going to happen that he is going to learn from. I have confidence he will.

But I think we should stop taking something so simple and so clear and trying to find other reasons or persons to blame for the failure. Baker has to own this one.
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Post game - 11/11/19 08:53 PM

Note Dan Orlovsky's comment under Trotter's tweet.....

This is for Rish and DC too, as you can see how the play developed. #98 is the one that had a huge push and caused Baker to pull back his pass off his initial read.

As for Dan Orlovsky ... he's saying that Baker should have changed the protection. It's kind of hard when you're down to 3 on the play-clock, and this goes back to things that Freddy does that annoys me. He gets the play-call in late, and then has them shift into a different formation, so there's all of about 4 seconds for Baker to diagnose the defense. Maybe he should have looked towards the right side, but I have no idea if the intent of the play was to go left in the first place. He had a LB on Beckham and a Corner playing off Hunt. He waited long enough to see if the Corner shaded over to help on OBJ, but by that time the the DL clogged the lane, he pulls it down and is immediately crushed by the blitz on the right.

This is probably why Baker works in the "hurry up" so well. He gets time to read over the Defense, he can see where the blitz might be coming from, and he gets a chance to figure out what he's going to do before the ball is snapped. Peyton Manning used to be similar. That's the reason he made those "Omaha" calls so often. It wasn't an audible, it was a "Snap after Omaha", activator for the snap count. He would call "Hut hut!" See who on the defense flinched for a blitz, changed the protection to account for that, likely made up in his mind who would be open, called out Omaha, and then went on with the actual snap count.

We don't have a chance to do any of that, because by the time we've got the play-call in and got the offense set to where they're actually supposed to be, there's only a few seconds left in the play clock.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post game - 11/11/19 09:01 PM
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

If true, how does that happen??? The team spends the night in a hotel, even for home games. At least, they used to.

Antonio Callaway parked in a different lot than usual and was a few minutes late, the source said. The players stay in the team hotel the night before the game, but can go home in the morning and drive to the game.

https://twitter.com/cdotcombrowns/status/1193996348787441675
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Post game - 11/11/19 09:02 PM

Growing pains.

Yea, knowing you don't have a lot of time is different than a guy coming untouched though.. He had to think he would have time to at least get to a second read...

At least we can agree that going no-back set on 1st and 10 from your own 8 yard line wasn't very bright. tongue
Posted By: Baker_Dawg Re: Post game - 11/11/19 09:02 PM
People obsess over 3 inches of height and ignore the much bigger problem. Mayfield is throwing under two scenarios: (1) no pocket at all, or (2) a rapidly collapsing pocket. I thought that was very evident yesterday watching ~50% of the time Josh Allen throwing from a cocoon, where that was almost never the case for Baker. I noticed that for Goff against the Rams as well. This oline is bad, no way around it. The other place it is evident is running the ball when the defense knows it is coming (goaline). In those cases they get shoved backwards and not even Chubb can gain a yard.
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Post game - 11/11/19 09:03 PM

Antonio Callaway parked in a different lot than usual and was a few minutes late, the source said. The players stay in the team hotel the night before the game, but can go home in the morning and drive to the game.

What's the point of staying in the hotel then??
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Post game - 11/11/19 09:05 PM
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg

To make sure you eat well and are in bed early the night before.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Post game - 11/11/19 09:05 PM
Thank you. I wasn't aware they could go home before going to the stadium.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Post game - 11/11/19 09:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Baker_Dawg
People obsess over 3 inches of height and ignore the much bigger problem. Mayfield is throwing under two scenarios: (1) no pocket at all, or (2) a rapidly collapsing pocket. I thought that was very evident yesterday watching ~50% of the time Josh Allen throwing from a cocoon, where that was almost never the case for Baker. I noticed that for Goff against the Rams as well. This oline is bad, no way around it. The other place it is evident is running the ball when the defense knows it is coming (goaline). In those cases they get shoved backwards and not even Chubb can gain a yard.

Mayfield this year was statistically the worst QB in the NFL from what the analysts deem a "clean pocket"... he was remarkably better yesterday. His numbers from a clean pocket and his numbers when throwing after 2.5 seconds all went up dramatically yesterday. I'm not saying he is over the hump, but it's a promising sign.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Post game - 11/11/19 09:07 PM
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg

They have positional group meetings, team meetings, meal, bed check, etc. I wasn't aware they were allowed to go home in the morning though.
Posted By: Baker_Dawg Re: Post game - 11/11/19 09:16 PM
I guess I am challenging the nuisance with which a clean pocket is defined. I think the "clean" pockets Mayfield is throwing from are much less clean than other QBs. Maybe I could see video of these mythical clean pockets.

Secondly, if he is throwing from a clean pocket 10% of the time it really does not make much difference what he does from those clean pockets, since they are outweighed 9 to 1 by dirty pocket throws.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post game - 11/11/19 09:32 PM

Who is JW?

Don't you mean what is a....?

He's the Haslam's son-in-law and future steward of the franchise.

Here he is.....

Posted By: EveDawg Re: Post game - 11/11/19 09:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Baker_Dawg

Mayfield this year was statistically the worst QB in the NFL from what the analysts deem a "clean pocket"... he was remarkably better yesterday. His numbers from a clean pocket and his numbers when throwing after 2.5 seconds all went up dramatically yesterday. I'm not saying he is over the hump, but it's a promising sign.

He purposely rolled out a lot yesterday also (not so much of this in the past) and was fairly successful with it.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Post game - 11/11/19 09:55 PM

He's the Haslam's son-in-law and future steward of the franchise.

LOL! It goes from worse to worser with the Haslem's
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post game - 11/11/19 10:05 PM
That’s strange
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Post game - 11/11/19 10:30 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
It's funny. People say there's no such thing as a moral victory. Yet those same people have no problem claiming there is something they seem to call an immoral victory.

"We won! Yeah, but...."

rofl ...
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Post game - 11/11/19 11:25 PM

brutal.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Post game - 11/11/19 11:39 PM
It's funny, though. smile
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post game - 11/11/19 11:54 PM
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

brutal.
rofl
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post game - 11/12/19 02:19 AM
At least we can agree that going no-back set on 1st and 10 from your own 8 yard line wasn't very bright. tongue

Yes. Yes we can.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post game - 11/12/19 02:35 AM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post game - 11/12/19 02:40 AM
@NFL
of note through 10 weeks .
Running Backs 20+ runs
1. Chubb 8/TD
2. Lamar 7/TD
3. Dalvin 7TD
4. McCaff 6/4TD
5. Fournette 6/
ZEKE 1/0TD.
Is this surprising to anyone? #BaldysBreakdowns

https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1194019529879367687
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Post game - 11/12/19 05:33 AM

Absolutely GREAT post.

It actually gives me hope if only Freddie would stick to using both of them on every play.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post game - 11/12/19 10:39 AM
I love baldy’s breakdowns .. cool stuff
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Post game - 11/12/19 01:44 PM
I will be fair in my assessment.

1. Freddie had the team a little more prepared to play. Give him credit for that.

2. Freddie didn't challenge anything stupid. I will give him credit for that.

3. Freddie was able to call a drive to win the game, I give him credit for that.

BUT....

Why are we throwing backed up into our endzone with Chubb and Hunt?

Why are we pitching the ball on the goaline with Chubb and Hunt?

After being garbage on the goaline, why are you trying to go for it again? Thank you Hubbard for the false start.

Game ball goes to Hubbard, if not for that false start, we may have lost.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post game - 11/12/19 01:51 PM
You brought up a point I thought of as well: we have so many plays inside the 5 that are designed to pitch, throw short of the goal line, go sideways, etc ... we may be better off throwing it INTO the end zone
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Post game - 11/12/19 02:24 PM
You brought up a point I thought of as well: we have so many plays inside the 5 that are designed to pitch, throw short of the goal line, go sideways, etc ... we may be better off throwing it INTO the end zone

Wait...what...you mean you are ALLOWED to throw the ball into the actual endzone from inside the 5 yard line. Do you have a link?

Next you'll tell me that a QB can bootleg outside after a fake handoff up the middle when the defense is loading up in the middle or some crazy thing like that...and THEN have the audacity to break the rules...again...and actually throw the ball into the painted area at the end of the field...and area also know in dream-speak as the endless hallway that you just can't get down until you wake up.

/purple
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post game - 11/12/19 02:27 PM
I am telling you guys the first three drives I would call all runs even if it results in 3 and outs. Trust your defense against a sub par offense. Send a message that this is going to be a dogfight. All Watt and Dupree want to do is pin their ears back and rush the passer. Frustrate them early. Keep them off balance.

This chit is chess; it ain't checkers!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post game - 11/12/19 03:00 PM
Heck, we don’t ever seem to run it on two straight PLAYS (even after successful runs). It seems like we’ll get a nice 8 yard run on 1st down and we get so antsy that we can’t contain ourselves to run again
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Post game - 11/12/19 03:28 PM
Maybe you could forward your comment and the video to Freddie .. This ain't rock science .
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Post game - 11/12/19 03:40 PM
Quote:
This ain't rock science .

rofl That's great! rofl

Let me put forth another possibility ......

Maybe the team is starting to learn the new schemes, calls, and techniques.

I remember, prior to the season, when someone asked a generic question: "What if it took most of year 1 to get the offense fully installed, and up to speed .... so that players are just performing, and not pausing to think about everything?" Perhaps Baker's struggles were due, at least in part, as part of him learning a new offense, and were necessary in order to get him to learn everything he had to learn.

We see glimpses of the offense starting to get up to speed. We have guys starting to return to the field, like Hunt, Njoku, (soon) and others. Maybe bringing in a lot of new guys, and missing others, has been a problem as well.

Perhaps OBJ missing the OTAs really set him back as well. The offense was installed during those camps. Freddie kind of said the only thing he could, and that is that the camps are voluntary, and attendance cannot be required by any team, but he also said that the offense and defense were completely installed during those sessions.

I suppose that any and/or all of these are quite possible.

It ain't rocket science. wink
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Post game - 11/12/19 04:46 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Quote:

rofl That's great! rofl

I remember, prior to the season, when someone asked a generic question: "What if it took most of year 1 to get the offense fully installed, and up to speed .... so that players are just performing, and not pausing to think about everything?" Perhaps Baker's struggles were due, at least in part, as part of him learning a new offense, and were necessary in order to get him to learn everything he had to learn.

We see glimpses of the offense starting to get up to speed. We have guys starting to return to the field, like Hunt, Njoku, (soon) and others. Maybe bringing in a lot of new guys, and missing others, has been a problem as well.

Perhaps OBJ missing the OTAs really set him back as well. The offense was installed during those camps. Freddie kind of said the only thing he could, and that is that the camps are voluntary, and attendance cannot be required by any team, but he also said that the offense and defense were completely installed during those sessions.

I've mentioned repeatedly that 8-8 was a distinct possibility for just that reason. Working with pretty much 'new everything,' a shaky start was more likely than a 'plug & play' fast start.

It's also the reason I haven't been looking for rooftop launch points like many others. Tempered expectations lent themselves to a sort of calm acceptance (but still with a sense of disappointment).

"It's a process."
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Post game - 11/12/19 04:48 PM
J/C

I will say, execution is a must. Our OLINE got BLOWN off the ball on just about all of those Goal plays. Should they have been runs up the middle, probably. But our OL needs to be better. If we block, we score.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post game - 11/12/19 05:09 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Quote:

rofl That's great! rofl

You're not making the argument you think you are. This doesn't explain why the Browns have not been successful. This is a plea for continuity with the hope that going into next year they'll be able to execute Freddie's O.

I say focus on getting wins every time you get on the field. Put together smart game plans. Call smart games. Do what you have to do to win every game. That's what the city of Cleveland and this fanbase deserves.

Is everybody getting more experience in this offense the best thing for the Cleveland Browns? Do you want to watch an offense next year that won't run the ball two times in a row just because the players are now comfortable in the offense? Does that give the Browns the best chance to win?

I will never waiver from this position...put the Browns first...not scheme, not players.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Post game - 11/12/19 05:35 PM

I saw this, this should be our primary set. You can do almost anything out of this set.. because both backs run well, catch well, and block well.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post game - 11/12/19 07:03 PM
I have a friend who went to the game this past Sunday ... he’s as close to a football expert as I know ... his exact quote (and this is coming from a Bills fan): “Hunt and Chubb on the field together is downright scary”
Posted By: Dave Re: Post game - 11/12/19 07:37 PM
Sorry for the sloppy, "hearsay" type post, but I heard only part of a conversation on the radio yesterday that was talking about an advanced stat called "EPA", which stand for Expected Points Added. Without going into what the stat means - because I'm not sure I understand it - the radio guy reported that on those plays in which Chubb and Hunt were both the field, the Browns offense had a higher EPA than the 2019 Kansas City Chiefs. It was a small sample, but still, the Chiefs offense was basically unstoppable last year.

(I *think* the info came from Next Gen Stats, but didn't have any luck when I tried to search for a link.)
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post game - 11/12/19 08:03 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post game - 11/12/19 08:07 PM

Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post game - 11/12/19 08:10 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post game - 11/12/19 08:14 PM

Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Post game - 11/12/19 09:28 PM

"Our stat that shows how well you run it didn't work, so here's this other stat that backs up how we feel about their running."

This is why mathematical analysis on its own has little value.
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Post game - 11/13/19 01:22 PM
j/c

So we managed to grind out a win which is good. It still doesn't change my feeling of not making Game Day a priority until we're back to .500.

-Landry... I don't think the penalty was egregious but probably more a "letter of the law" call. I'm not mad at him for it due simply to the fact that he actually looked like the Landry of last year.. a competitive leader trying to set the tone for this team. I fell like this year he's been less of that and more chill since his best bud OBJ has been here.

-It was nice to have a game with no drama from either.

-I know we're trying to be fresh and innovative on offense, but maybe FK needs to take a play from history a la Refrigerator Perry. On the goal line, line Larry O up as the FB. He's quick, he's strong... and I think he'll get that 1yrd push we were so desperately needing.

-I'll probably mention this again in the Scheme thread but Chubb/Hunt needs to be the center of this offense going forward. Individually they are too much talent to keep off the field. Combined they become such a massive force multiplier...

-Hello Higgins!

-Greedy and Ward I think overall are doing "ok" but they aren't playing to their potential or abilities (though I did like the one play Greedy made a break and almost INT'd it). I don't know who our DB coach is but I think the issue with these two is lack of experience and I feel like maybe they aren't being coached up sufficiently?

-I still feel like Freddie's offense is too wrapped up in being about him and what he wants to do. Freddie, you already have the daggone job! Stop making it about what you want and instead make it about what this team IS. Play action is a Baker strength. Ground this offense in the running game and the passing game will open up. Even with the Oline issues, this this offense is easily capable of putting up 400-500 yards of offense week after week.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Post game - 11/13/19 02:20 PM
A perfect example of why ....

STATS ARE FOR LOSERS!!!
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Post game - 11/14/19 02:30 PM
Quote:
-Greedy and Ward I think overall are doing "ok" but they aren't playing to their potential or abilities (though I did like the one play Greedy made a break and almost INT'd it). I don't know who our DB coach is but I think the issue with these two is lack of experience and I feel like maybe they aren't being coached up sufficiently?

Do not forget they are being asked to play a lot of zone, when they thrive in man.

We also only have 2 LB a lot of the time, leaving them to try to tackle a TE a lot. Not a good idea.
© DawgTalkers.net