DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: devicedawg Playoffs - 12/18/19 12:21 PM
We have .8% chance of making the playoffs.

What is the scenario that has to unfold for the Browns to make the playoffs?
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Playoffs - 12/18/19 12:25 PM
First, you have to hire a real head coach.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Playoffs - 12/18/19 03:04 PM
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
We have .8% chance of making the playoffs.

What is the scenario that has to unfold for the Browns to make the playoffs?

Team planes and buses need to crash.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Playoffs - 12/18/19 03:09 PM
brownie
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Playoffs - 12/18/19 03:51 PM
Playoffs?? Playoffs??
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Playoffs - 12/18/19 03:52 PM
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Playoffs?? Playoffs??

If there was ever a time to 'like' your own post, this is probably it.
Posted By: savagedawgs Re: Playoffs - 12/18/19 04:00 PM
Getting back to your question devicedawg….according to profootballtalk this is the scenario:

If they beat the Ravens and Bengals to finish the season 8-8, and if the Steelers lose to both the Jets and Ravens, and if the Titans lose to both the Saints and Texans, Colts need to beat both the Panthers and Jaguars, the 8-8 Browns would win the tiebreaker for the final wild card spot.
So there’s actually still a chance for the Browns to give this decade a fairy tale ending. But don’t hold your breath.

Hey anything can happen.....biggest obstacle besides the Browns beating Baltimore is the Steelers losing to the Jets.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Playoffs - 12/18/19 04:00 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Playoffs?? Playoffs??

Ahhhhhh, is somebody jelly? rofl
Posted By: FATE Re: Playoffs - 12/18/19 04:20 PM
JC

Not that I think there's a snowball's chance of us making the playoffs, but think of this scenario...

IF the Browns beat the Ravens and the Bills happen to beat the Patriots this week... Baltimore will lay down and die vs the Steelers in week 17. They will have the #1 seed locked up with one more Pats loss, and given a Browns sweep, the last team they would ever want to face in the playoffs is the Browns.

So, although not a mathematical part of the equation, go ahead and add the Patriots defeating the Bills this Sunday as another thing that must happen for the Browns to make the playoffs.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Playoffs - 12/18/19 04:25 PM
The way we played last Sunday makes me not WANT us to even have a chance; we don’t deserve it. We deserve to be criticized and mocked. I can handle hard-fought losses with growth, not laying down like quitters
Posted By: FATE Re: Playoffs - 12/18/19 04:36 PM
Hey! Happy Birthday Dawg!!

thumbsup
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Playoffs - 12/18/19 04:37 PM
Originally Posted By: FATE
Hey! Happy Birthday Dawg!!

thumbsup
Thanks Bro!!
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Playoffs - 12/18/19 04:42 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Playoffs?? Playoffs??

Ahhhhhh, is somebody jelly? rofl

Not jealous... just confused on which of your own posts you choose to like, and which ones you don't (in addition to the practice of liking your own posts, in general).
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Playoffs - 12/18/19 05:15 PM
- Steelers lose to both the Jets and Ravens
- Titans lose to both the Saints and Texans
- Colts need to beat both the Panthers and Jaguars

Anyone else find it sad these are more than likely to happen than the browns finishing 8-8
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Playoffs - 12/18/19 05:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
not laying down like quitters

I’ve seen u post in the game day thread ... u calling out quitters is hysterical ... we were up by 2 scores one week and you’d of thought we were down by 3 scores reading your posts .. somehow without doing one thing right we had a 2 score lead ... *L* ... u give up as soon as the first play goes awry ...

U calling out quitters makes about as much sense as leadtheway’s handle ... he leads the way to pessimism and negative thoughts in the game day threads ... like u ... we were up by 2 scores and you’d of thought we were down by 3 scores reading u two and a few others ... he sticks out to me cause of his handle ... I’d rather be led by someone with a much better tude .. *L* ...
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Playoffs - 12/18/19 07:06 PM
Here you go, Device....

Posted By: RAWISRADFORD Re: Playoffs - 12/18/19 07:27 PM
I'll be rooting for all of that to happen - go brownies
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Playoffs - 12/18/19 07:34 PM
Honestly, if we win and the Jets win this week, the rest is nearly a shoe-in.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Playoffs - 12/18/19 07:40 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Honestly, if we win and the Jets win this week, the rest is nearly a shoe-in.
Texans and colts have been so Jekyll and Hyde this year, I cant put too much faith in them.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Playoffs - 12/18/19 09:45 PM
I saw that on Twitter. Each of those things is possible and wouldn't be too big of a shock. The odds that all of them happen (starting with us beating the Ravens) is why our total odds are <.1%
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Playoffs - 12/18/19 10:26 PM
Playoffs???? Playoffs????
Posted By: Haus Re: Playoffs - 12/19/19 03:19 PM
JC

Not that I think there's a snowball's chance of us making the playoffs, but think of this scenario...

IF the Browns beat the Ravens and the Bills happen to beat the Patriots this week... Baltimore will lay down and die vs the Steelers in week 17. They will have the #1 seed locked up with one more Pats loss, and given a Browns sweep, the last team they would ever want to face in the playoffs is the Browns.

So, although not a mathematical part of the equation, go ahead and add the Patriots defeating the Bills this Sunday as another thing that must happen for the Browns to make the playoffs.

It's hard to say what the Ravens would do in week 17 if they have the #1 seed all wrapped up. Different teams have approached things differently over the years. There's the injury factor but also the (too much) rest factor where teams have gotten rusty.

If I had to guess, I'd say they do rest key players, especially with their style of offense. You never know though.

Also, I don't think the Browns are the most dangerous potential 6 seed anyway. That would probably be the Titans. They look like an entirely different team with Tannehill at QB.
Posted By: FATE Re: Playoffs - 12/19/19 03:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Haus
JC

It's hard to say what the Ravens would do in week 17 if they have the #1 seed all wrapped up. Different teams have approached things differently over the years. There's the injury factor but also the (too much) rest factor where teams have gotten rusty.

If I had to guess, I'd say they do rest key players, especially with their style of offense. You never know though.

Also, I don't think the Browns are the most dangerous potential 6 seed anyway. That would probably be the Titans. They look like an entirely different team with Tannehill at QB.

Just sayin' - the Ravens magic number is 1. Any win or Patriots loss gives them the seed. If the Patriots lose to the Bills this Sunday, the Ravens have home field.

A loss to the Browns and a Bills win would almost insure the Ravens tank against the Steelers. There is no way in heck they would do anything to allow a team that swept them (Browns) into the playoffs. Two losses to the Browns and only one (legitimate) to the rest of the league?? No way, no how they even compete against the Steelers in week 17 under this scenario.
Posted By: Haus Re: Playoffs - 12/19/19 04:09 PM
I don't know that they would 'tank' but they'd probably rest key starters. Semantics I guess. Like can you imagine them running Lamar into the Steelers D when nothing is on the line for them? I can't see that happening.

So I guess I agree with you in a roundabout way, though I really don't think they'd do it because they'd be afraid to see the Browns again, even under the scenario of us beating them a second time. It might be a logical thing from our perspective but they'd probably want the chance for revenge more than anything else.
Posted By: FATE Re: Playoffs - 12/19/19 04:19 PM
Yeah. What you're saying makes the most sense. I'm speaking from the "Battered Browns Syndrome" point of view. The tables were turned in 2002, after getting swept by the Steelers, we faced them in the Wild Card. I remember thinking "no way we lose to them three times in one season".

Obviously we can agree that it's best that the Ravens have something to play for in week 17... Go Patriots! lol
Posted By: woodybrownsfan Re: Playoffs - 12/19/19 09:23 PM
Browns need to take care of business on Sunday. Heard from a Ravens reporter on WKNR earlier today, that the Ravens have 5 new starters on defense, since we last played them in September. So they have made the adjustments. The key here is we need to jump on them early. Both games they lost, they were behind at Halftime. They are 12-0 with either a lead at the half (11 times) or tied (1 time).

Browns vs Ravens 1pm
Jets vs Steelers 1pm
Saints at Titans 1pm
Colts vs Panthers 1pm

So Browns know their fate for week 17 once they are done with Sundays game after 4pm.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Playoffs - 12/20/19 01:42 AM
Besides if the Browns win, who do we hope wins in the games you listed?

Jets vs Steelers ---Jets
Saints at Titans ---Saints??
Colts vs Panthers--- Panthers???
Posted By: Chadillac Re: Playoffs - 12/20/19 03:38 AM
Jets, Saints, Colts
Posted By: CBFAN19 Re: Playoffs - 12/20/19 01:02 PM
J/C

The way this season has gone, the Browns will beat the Ravens and then lose to the Bengals!
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Playoffs - 12/20/19 05:51 PM
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Playoffs - 12/21/19 06:48 PM
8-8 would be a nice way to head into the off-season smile
Posted By: Fishstix Re: Playoffs - 12/22/19 09:33 PM
Every other team that we needed to win to stay alive did their part.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Playoffs - 12/22/19 10:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Fishstix
yep, sadly
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Playoffs - 12/22/19 10:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Fishstix

At the beginning of the game, I told my Dad this exact thing would happen!

The Browns do not deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Playoffs.
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Playoffs - 12/23/19 12:27 AM
Everyone else and Freddie had 1 job.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Playoffs - 12/23/19 12:42 AM
j/c...

If we're being honest with ourselves, the playoffs dream was dead after the loss to Denver. It's been a pipe dream ever since.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Playoffs - 12/23/19 12:55 AM
Agreed
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Playoffs - 12/23/19 01:06 AM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

If we're being honest with ourselves, the playoffs dream was dead after the loss to Denver. It's been a pipe dream ever since.

I think it was dead after Seattle.

Freddie being unable to execute the most basic of concepts at the end of the half of that game cost him his job. He just didn't know it yet. He was either too arrogant or too incompetent to coach better that game. It was the Browns best week of practice all year and the team watched the coach squander it away. All confidence was gone within the team and Freddie after that.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Playoffs - 12/23/19 01:15 AM
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

I think it was dead after Seattle.

Freddie being unable to execute the most basic of concepts at the end of the half of that game cost him his job. He just didn't know it yet. He was either too arrogant or too incompetent to coach better that game. It was the Browns best week of practice all year and the team watched the coach squander it away. All confidence was gone within the team and Freddie after that.

I cringe every time the Browns have the ball before the half. It's always a clown show that highlights Freddie's incompetence.
Posted By: sk8termom Re: Playoffs - 12/23/19 01:21 AM
Looks like my team is about to join the Browns in sitting out the playoffs this year. What a dismal end to the season probably.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Playoffs - 12/23/19 01:23 AM
I think it was dead since the Titan's game. We were shellshocked after that beating and unable to recover ever since. The first rat game was an outlier. We've not played a complete game or sustained continuity and confidence the entire season. Who on our team or what aspect of our game has actually improved since week 1?
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Playoffs - 12/23/19 01:24 AM
Originally Posted By: sk8termom
Looks like my team is about to join the Browns in sitting out the playoffs this year. What a dismal end to the season probably.

Be still my heart.
Posted By: sk8termom Re: Playoffs - 12/23/19 01:27 AM
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

Be still my heart.

Misery loves company.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Playoffs - 12/23/19 01:34 AM
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

Be still my heart.

Misery loves company.

But this company presents a unique bedfellow, stranger than most.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Playoffs - 12/23/19 01:40 AM
Ravens lock up top seed in AFC. Bengals lock up #1 overall Draft Pick. A less talented Steelers team will finish next wee at or over 500. Browns, while 3rd in the division will still have sub 500 season with nothing but questions to show for all the efforts and much less draft capital than recent years.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Playoffs - 12/23/19 01:58 AM
J/c

The playoffs should be interesting. To me there’s no clear cut favorite in either league, despite Baltimore’s record and streak
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Playoffs - 12/23/19 01:51 PM
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
- Steelers lose to both the Jets and Ravens
- Titans lose to both the Saints and Texans
- Colts need to beat both the Panthers and Jaguars

Anyone else find it sad these are more than likely to happen than the browns finishing 8-8
Called it. . . .
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Playoffs - 12/23/19 04:14 PM

Yep, we can collectively come together in the spirit of the season and root for the Ravens to get ousted from the playoffs as quickly as possible.
Posted By: sk8termom Re: Playoffs - 12/24/19 01:25 AM
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

Yep, we can collectively come together in the spirit of the season and root for the Ravens to get ousted from the playoffs as quickly as possible.

Sounds great. Unfortunately, I think they will hang around for a while.
Posted By: Haus Re: Playoffs - 12/24/19 02:17 PM
J/c

The playoffs should be interesting. To me there’s no clear cut favorite in either league, despite Baltimore’s record and streak

Depends how you look at it. Baltimore is a clear cut favorite in the sense that they have easily the best chance of any team to make it to and win the Super Bowl. That said, I'd still take the field over them to win the Super Bowl, and probably take the AFC field over them to make it to the Super Bowl, though that's close.

Having that one seed is really nice. Two home wins and you're in the Super Bowl, and that first win, in the divisional round, isn't always the toughest game. Figure that will be a (possibly beat up) Bills, Texans, Titans, or Steelers.

Meanwhile, there's a good chance it'll be Pats vs Chiefs in the other divisional matchup. Tough game. The Ravens will only have to play one of them, not both.

Upsets happen obviously and can change some of the above.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Playoffs - 12/24/19 03:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Haus
J/c

Depends how you look at it. Baltimore is a clear cut favorite in the sense that they have easily the best chance of any team to make it to and win the Super Bowl. That said, I'd still take the field over them to win the Super Bowl, and probably take the AFC field over them to make it to the Super Bowl, though that's close.

Having that one seed is really nice. Two home wins and you're in the Super Bowl, and that first win, in the divisional round, isn't always the toughest game. Figure that will be a (possibly beat up) Bills, Texans, Titans, or Steelers.

Meanwhile, there's a good chance it'll be Pats vs Chiefs in the other divisional matchup. Tough game. The Ravens will only have to play one of them, not both.

Upsets happen obviously and can change some of the above.
Defense and a run game will ALWAYS travel well, and typically play well in playoff games. I have SF and Balt in the big game this year.

In a league where passing is encouraged, you will see two defensive minded run teams in the game.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Playoffs - 12/25/19 10:54 AM
The KC team intrigues me too ... their defense has played better of late and they seem to be more balanced on offense too. I think most of us would say it’s a 3 team race in the AFC to get to the Super Bowl
© DawgTalkers.net