DawgTalkers.net
What is your knee jerk reaction for a position or player?

I want to trade up and draft Chase Young.
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

Bookends Myles Garrett and Chase Young smile
LOL! Dream on.
Would love to trade up for Chase...however I'm sure that'll be overly steep...

I'm hoping the best LT is there for our picking
...and we can snag away RT Jack Conklin in FA...Raiders will let Karl Joeseph SS walk, would bring him in as he has made strides (however injury prone) then altering snagging our LT in round 1, have to find more S, RG, DE, WR, and LB depth as well...hopefully Scho is re inked...I expect a lot of cuts and salary cap opening up.
While another Defensive End to pair with Garrett would be a great idea because Ogbah and Vernon were not good side kicks. I think the Browns are going to go best Left Tackle on the board.

The biggest needs I see this team needs are

#1 - Left Tackle - To give Baker time to look down field and utilize the teams offensive weapons.
#2 - Defensive End - Garrett needs help. The defense fell apart once he got suspended.
#3 - Middle Linebacker to stop the run. Playoff teams first and foremost run the ball and stop the run.
#4 - Strong Safety - To support the run. Run defense was awful.
#5 - Defensive Tackle - Got to stop the run up the middle. See Ravens, see Joe Mixon.
#6 - Tight End that can catch and stretch the middle of the field
We dont even know who will be doing the picking!
Trade down.

Tackle, Tight End, some kind of playmaker on the defensive side of the ball

They need help everywhere. They are talented at several positions, but are still weak at others. It goes without saying that you need to help your young quarterback though, both in proetcting him, and also offering an option for him in the passing game.

great OL are hard to find though, so I think they will lean toward tackle if they can land one at 10, assuming they stay there.

I'm just so tired of us getting beat by good tight ends, and we are out there with practice squad scrubs, and a guy in David Njoku who shows flashes when he rarely takes the field. I'm over it, they need to find better tight ends, it's paramount in today's game.
we have apple pies and banana pudding but don't have the meat and potatoes.. our trenches are laughable
Any OT that is deemed the best
Trade OBJ for a 1st round pick.

Time to get the new coach on board. Probably going to have to wait until after the Superbowl.

I am sure the new coach is going to have opinions on the team make-up.
LT,TE,RT,S and finish off with LBS and DBs. What we get in FA can make a difference. Oh Yeah and good young center would be nice.
Double-dip at the LT position. Draft the best guy (I'd even be ok with a not-crazy trade up, if that's what it'll take), and bring in a legit FA. Even if it's an older guy that only has a couple years in the tank... he just have to be good enough to beat out the rookie and make Robinson an after-thought. Let all the incumbents duke it out for RT and 1st backup. As much as I hated his play this year, I think Robinson would make a fine RT. Hubbard needs to be unseated from the starting 5.
Same with RT, the RG position can be improved organically, I think.

I think we need to swallow our pride/stock up on headache pills, and hang onto Randall. Dude can be a dumb-dumb, but is a baller when motivated. We also need to move ASAP to bring in someone that can make him expendable... but we're already using our high pick on LT. I think we be opportunistic as far as bringing in LB talent to compete. Depends on new DC, though.
As is with every upcoming season, who and what position you draft will be heavily determined by which positions you end up addressing in the FA market and which of your players you retain during the off season.

As of this moment the LT position would be my focus if you're strictly speaking about position. The LB position would be another.
LT is a glaring weakness along with SS but I will be checking OLB we need a stud that can rush the passer and cover RB's and TE's like Clay Matthews and Chip Banks did ...
Considering Baltimore’s TE’s, it would be nice to be able to cover them at all
I'm sorry to disagree with you,but Robinson would not make a good RT.The reason I say this is because he's lazy.And it looks like he gained 50 lbs during the season.
The best move is to let him go somewhere else,where he might get the motivation he badly requires.
I like Bitonio and Tretter (although he does seem injury prone), but we need upgrades at both OT and at RG, whether through FA or the draft.
I think he was handed the LT job this season. I'm not saying he's the world beater RT we've been waiting for, but you can only address so many positions in an offseason. If Robinson can nudge Hubbard off the starting 5, that's significant improvement.
I legitimately think that while an upgrade on the tackles is warranted, the system was so poorly mismanaged that it made both tackles look infinitely worse than they are. How many times did we see them left on an island with a top 10 Edge player? Almost always. How many times did I have to watch the other teams best edge player one on one with a Tight end? Seemed like at minimum once a week. Sure we need tackle help, but it was managed horrendously by the coaching staff as well.

My point is, as bad as we need tackles......With Schoberts near certain departure, we don't have a starting quality linebacker on this team. Mack Wilson is too weak, Joe Mixon absolutely exposed him as a soft nickle backer only, unless he adds 20 pounds he is a situational player only.

Takitaki is a horrible liability in coverage. He is a 2 down backer.

You can't even name the other linebackers.

RG I would argue is an even bigger concern than the tackles.

With Damarious Randall leaving (seemingly) we are left with Redwine and Burris (who played hard tbh)....not ideal.

I don't think it's as easy as saying tackle or bust like I've seen in so many lazy twitter posts.
Tristan Wirfs, please.
Offensive Line and Linebackers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted By: Hammer
Tristan Wirfs, please.
thumbsup
Depends who is still available at 10 ? If there is a really can't miss Tackle ( no such thing in the Draft ) like a JT. you bet .. But we have needs at safety /LB / TE and any help on the DL just for starters ..
With the 10th pick, the Browns pick Donald Duck.
Now it might depend more on WHO”s picking
We will trade down to gather more picks.
With the 10th pick in the draft the Browns select...

Best tackle available..
I'd rather get o-line help in free agency. someone thats proven.

Also, I hope whoever is our d-coordinator next year rotates the dline guys more to keep players fresh. So with that, we need talent and depth. Chase Young will be gone at 10.. Give me Derrick Brown - DT @ Auburn. Dude is a monster! or Yetur Gross-Matos - DE @ Penn St. Phenomenal pass rusher.

I also wouldn't mind getting more Safety help .. Grant Delpit @ LSU or Xavier McKinney @ Bama
If we grab a OT in free agency I want Jack Conklin from Tennessee, put him at RT and move Hubbard to RG.
Think Cincitucky would consider an OBJ package with picks and players?
Originally Posted By: dawg66
If we grab a OT in free agency I want Jack Conklin from Tennessee, put him at RT and move Hubbard to RG.

Or just cut Hubbard altogether.
He's the guy the browns SHOULD have drafted the Wentz year but traded back for the wonderful Corey Coleman. Wished they had kept that pick and selected Conklin, then.
I'm liking Jedrick Wills, Alabama. OL definitely not my specialty, though. Great anchor in pass pro and gets movement in the running game. Good technique/angles, gets to the second level. Seems to have good awareness and communication/feel with his other blockers.

Going RT first is not conventional, but, with great pass rushers on both sides, you need both. I don't wanna try to flip a guy from right to left or vice versa. I want to go RPO/playaction heavy and think he'd be perfect for helping to make that work.

Go LT in the 2nd and give him the TE/RB help if he needs it. I'm looking at Josh Jones from Houston. Could be a riser after the Senior Bowl, though. Hard to figure out who is going where this early.

Wouldn't be against taking a flier on Trey Adams later as well. He's got a lot of medical issues to look into, though. Might be more pro ready than Jones, but I worry about longevity.

Chris Hubbard is not going to be on the team next year.
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

fingerscrossed
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

fingerscrossed

He's one of the worst players in the league in the position and we can save $4.9 million in cap space. . .

And I think we've already paid him about $23M. That's crazy.

fingerscrossed

He's one of the worst players in the league in the position and we can save $4.9 million in cap space. . .

heck, we’d all chip in even if we DID owe him that
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg

I don't know if they would, but I wouldn't. I'd look NFC...
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg

I don't know if they would, but I wouldn't. I'd look NFC...
I wonder if Amari Cooper doesn’t re-sign in Dallas, or Arizona looks for a WR for Murray, or SF wants a true #1
I think there is a good chance something like that happens. It will just depend on the new coach and his feelings.

10 early prospects to consider for the Browns No. 10 overall pick

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/...0-overall-pick/
It’s too early to know exactly who the Cleveland Browns will target with the No. 10 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. The team doesn’t even have a head coach or GM at this point. But it’s possible to narrow down the field of prospects for that valuable first-round pick.

Here are 10 prospects who the Browns figure to have strong interest in for that No. 10 overall pick. Some will wind up being taken well before the 10 spot, of course, but that doesn’t preclude them from being someone the Browns should strongly consider.

Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn
I don’t expect the beefy Brown to last all the way to No. 10, but he’s an ideal fit to reinforce the Cleveland defensive line. For my money he’s the best DT prospect since Ndamukong Suh, a wrecking ball with both a high motor and very high football IQ to go with his considerable physical gifts.

K’Lavon Chiasson, EDGE, LSU
Don’t let the underwhelming stats (6.5 sacks) dissuade you; Chiasson offers outstanding potential as a stand-up pass rusher. He missed almost all of 2018 with an ACL and worked the rust off in his return in 2019. Chiasson is a twitchy bundle of unrefined energy and passion.

Grant Delpit, S, LSU
The preseason top-5 overall hype faded with an injury, but Delpit remains a high-end safety prospect with instant impact ability. He’s big, instinctive and has experience being the alpha male in a very talented secondary that has included Browns starting CB Greedy Williams.

A.J. Epenesa, EDGE, Iowa
Browns fans who missed Emmanuel Ogbah but wanted a more consistent and versatile presence from him will gravitate toward Epenesa. A big, physical end who wins with power-to-speed, Epenesa is a natural to line up opposite Myles Garrett.

Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama
It’s hard to fathom the Browns using their first pick on a wideout when Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham Jr. are already on board, but Jeudy is too gifted to simply ignore here. His combination of pure speed, strong hands and polished routes makes Jeudy a very high-end WR prospect.

Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina
Probably the biggest stretch on this list, but Kinlaw is capable of taking over games against high-level competition. His first step is lightning quick and he follows it with strength and aggressive tenacity. Browns fans might be reminded of Michael Dean Perry if they watch Kinlaw against Georgia or North Carolina.

Isaiah Simmons, S/LB, Clemson
Simmons is an athletic marvel at 6-4 and 230 pounds, capable of playing slot corner one drive and MIKE backer the next. He’s at his best as a playmaking safety, a role the Browns desperately need.

Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia
It would almost certainly require a trade up to land Thomas, but stranger things have happened in the draft. An elite tackle prospect with outstanding length and power, Thomas is an instant starter for the Browns — or just about any NFL team.

Jedrick Wills, OT, Alabama
Playing right tackle at Alabama, Wills was known for his run-blocking domination. His pass protection technique and awareness improved enough in 2019 that he’s now a viable candidate to shift to the left side if a team chooses. Like Thomas, he’s in need of some technical ironing out, but the potential is multiple Pro Bowls at a position of dire need in Cleveland.

Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa
Wirfs plays right tackle for the Hawkeyes but has the movement skills and technical adeptness to handle speed to play on either side in the NFL. He might not dominate with wins like some other OTs here, but it’s very rare to see Wirfs lose on a rep in pass protection.
I know we need a tackle. Isaiah Simmons is a beast and I would love to have him.
Can easily pair best player at your spot with either Tackle / Middle linebacker or Safety ! Four picks in three round's .. Get'er done !
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
Can easily pair best player at your spot with either Tackle / Middle linebacker or Safety ! Four picks in three round's .. Get'er done !

I have a feeling that we will end up with more picks if Andrew Berry is back and/or Josh McDaniels is hired.
Could be that we go back on idle again. That was so much fun before.
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Right , trading back always worked well for us.
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty

Right , trading back always worked well for us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
That was my point.
Just me, I would eliminate the skill position players.

I like the OT,s Delpit, and Brown.

I really like Brown, but no way he lasts to 10. If he is there, I take him. He is a game changer. Think Reggie White game changer.
exactly, I wouldn't take a skill player before the 5th. DT/OT/LB/S biggest holes
Jerry Judy, WR Alabama. We trade OBJ.
Originally Posted By: pfm1963

So trade a guy that we know is good for a guy that might be good and then use the pick that we get from the guy who we know is good for a different player that might be good?

So trade a guy that we know is good for a guy that might be good and then use the pick that we get from the guy who we know is good for a different player that might be good?

I am not an OBJ fan. He ruins team chemistry. We should get a pretty good draft haul for OBJ.

I am not an OBJ fan. He ruins team chemistry. We should get a pretty good draft haul for OBJ.

Having a coaching staff that is actively working against team success ruins team chemistry. OBJ played through injury and incompetence and had a decent season, trading him shouldn't even be a conversation.

I agree, but don't take a receiver. We need OL and D. The Titans won last night by running the ball 36 times and passing 25 times. We have the backs to do that.

Pound the rock and play solid D.
Trade down.

Always a possibility that could happen if we get a few players in FA that fill some current holes on the line.
Best LT in the draft
Just me, I would eliminate the skill position players.

I like the OT,s Delpit, and Brown.

I really like Brown, but no way he lasts to 10. If he is there, I take him. He is a game changer. Think Reggie White game changer.

We need a TE or two Peen. One blocking and one receiving.
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Best LT in the draft
agreed
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Best LT in the draft
agreed

100%
Tua declared for the draft. That is good for us.
Very good for us w/Tua ... a team will draft him before 9, whether trade or not
Very good for us w/Tua ... a team will draft him before 9, whether trade or not

Good for the Lions, who are picking third, they should be able to get a nice haul in a trade up scenario.

(I don't see Washington trading out of the Chase Young slot.)

I have a feeling that we will end up with more picks if Andrew Berry is back and/or Josh McDaniels is hired.

It could start w/ Kareem Hunt.

** ducks **

It could start w/ Kareem Hunt.

** ducks **

I'm keeping Kareem Hunt. He's cheap for one more year, he is good, and he allows our offense to be very versatile.

I was talking more about trading down.
Originally Posted By: jaybird
Best LT in the draft
agreed

100%

AND dropping some cash on a legit (if old) starting LT.
I don't see how we can go wrong with a LT named Thomas.

It seems preordained, even.
Getting rid of Hunt would certainly be the perfect way to "Brown things up".
Well, we just fired a coach that refused to use the talent he had, so if we're going to get a coach that WILL use the talent, our only option left is to get rid of the talent they might use.

Kevin Zeiter agrees.
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Well, we just fired a coach that refused to use the talent he had, so if we're going to get a coach that WILL use the talent, our only option left is to get rid of the talent they might use.

So I wonder what people will say if the next HC doesn't see Higgins and Njoku as "talent" that wasn't used? Maybe the fans have them rated better that they really are? It's been happening here for decades.
j/c...

Jake Fromm headed to the NFL...

He spelled Farm wrong.

So I wonder what people will say if the next HC doesn't see Higgins and Njoku as "talent" that wasn't used? Maybe the fans have them rated better that they really are? It's been happening here for decades.

Except that we've seen their talent and ability on display.
If there are issues, it won't be from a talent perspective, but from a personality, attitude, or work ethic perspective.
I'm a Georgia guy... I don't have any confidence that Fromm will have any major success in the NFL.
Link has some videos that didn't transfer over

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/01...ilm-review.html

NFL Draft 2020: Breaking down the top tackles who could help the Cleveland Browns at pick No. 10 -- Film Review

Updated 12:36 PM;Today 4:48 AM
Andrew Thomas
AP

Georgia offensive lineman Andrew Thomas (71) blocks Auburn defensive end Nick Coe (91) in a game last November. Thomas is considered to be the best available college tackle prior to the combine and individual workouts leading to the spring's NFL Draft.

By Ellis L. Williams, cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- While we wait to learn the Browns’ next head coach, fans can find solace in the plethora of blue-chip tackle prospects sitting atop the 2020 NFL Draft.

Georgia’s Andrew Thomas, Iowa’s Thomas Wirfs and Alabama’s Jedrick Willis headline a loaded class of tackles. Because the position is rich in talent this year and several teams at the top of the draft order need offensive line aid, there could be as many as five selected in the first round, and three could go before the Browns pick at No. 10.

The Dolphins (No. 4), Chargers (No. 5) and Cardinals (No. 8) all need offensive line help and could grab the top tackles. However, Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa declaring for the draft on Monday should bode well for Cleveland. Miami and Los Angeles both have question marks at the game’s most important position, which makes passing on Tagovailoa unlikely.

Chances are the Browns will have several top-rated tackles to choose from come their first-round selection. That’s a good thing, because Cleveland must resolve both the left and right sides of the offensive line to aid Baker Mayfield.

Pro Football Focus ranked the Browns’ offensive line 23rd, citing tackles Greg Robinson and Chris Hubbard as liabilities. The line ranked 11th overall in run blocking, according to Football Outsiders, but was 17th-best in pass protection. The Browns allowed 41 sacks (tied for 16th most) and struggled against premier AFC North pass rushers.

Let’s kick off “Tackle Week” by taking a closer look at four tackles in the 2020 draft that the Browns should consider at No. 10

Andrew Thomas, 6-5, 320 pounds, Georgia, junior

Before we dive into Thomas’ physical attributes, understand what his longevity on Georgia’s offensive line produced. As a true freshman in 2017, he started at right tackle and earned Freshman All-American honors. In 2018 he moved to left tackle and remained there through his junior season, earning consecutive All-America and All-SEC awards.

This year, Georgia ranked within the top five in fewest sacks allowed. Running back D’Andre Swift ran for 1,200-plus yards, averaging 6 yards per carry. With Thomas anchoring the left side, Swift generated per-touch averages comparable to both Wisconsin’s Jonathan Taylor and Buckeyes back J.K. Dobbins.

Thomas looks the part in every way. At 6-foot-5 and 320 pounds, he has the size coaches covet. Athletically, he thrives as a run blocker. He explodes off the ball and moves defenders back with explosive starts and imposing size. As a pass blocker, he tends to be aggressive and attack first, but is susceptible to quicker edge rushers.

Pro Football Focus rated Thomas as an 82.2 overall pass blocker and 91.2 in the run game.

Let’s take a look at a few plays that highlight what will likely make Thomas a top-10 pick.

Here, Thomas shows the football IQ, attention to detail and lateral quickness needed to play tackle in the NFL. Facing a third-and-6, Thomas (71) engages Notre Dame’s right end, but the Irish have a stunt called, meaning the end and inside tackle swap gaps. Thomas maintains his assignment, picks up the twist and helps Georgia pick up a first down.

Against Arkansas, Thomas shows his dominance as a run blocker on the Bulldogs’ first touchdown. With Georgia needing 3 yards, Thomas moves the left side of the line and creates a void large enough for two running backs to slide through.

Through sheer power, he meets his running back in the end zone and finishes his block to the end.

Tristan Wirfs, 6-5, 322 pounds, Iowa, junior

Unlike Thomas, Wirfs doesn’t project as a “plug-and-play” option at left tackle in the NFL -- largely because at Iowa, he played right tackle.

In today’s NFL, the importance of having your most talented lineman play left tackle has diminished. Playoff-caliber defenses tend to deploy more than just one pass rusher, so protecting both ends is equally important. For example, the Raiders made right tackle Trent Brown the highest-paid lineman in football last season.

If Thomas is off the board -- which he very well could be considering Washington (No. 2) and the Giants (No. 4) both need tackles, in addition to the Chargers, Dolphins and Cardinals -- Wirfs’ sweet spot could be right around the 10th pick.

Wirfs is a Midwestern kid, born and raised. He is from Iowa, played there, and would likely resonate with Northeast Ohio. His game merits a top-10 selection, proven by his Big Ten offensive lineman of the year award this season. If that isn’t enough, consider he holds the Hawkeye program record for hang cleans (four reps of 450 pounds).

ESPN College Football
✔
@ESPNCFB
Just a light 450 for Tristan Wirfs 😅 (via @HawkeyeFootball)
Embedded video

What makes Wirfs such an intriguing prospect is his athleticism and the potential his genetic gifts offer. In high school, Wirfs was the first Iowa athlete to win both shot put and discus titles in consecutive years. He was also the first to win three straight discus titles.

Also a state champion wrestler, he has a vertical jump of 35 inches, and that mark would be the second-highest jump by an offensive lineman at the NFL Scouting Combine in the past seven years. Pro Football Focus rated Wirfs as a 83.5 overall pass blocker and 82.4 as a run blocker.

Let’s look at a few plays that highlight what will likely make Wirfs a top-15 pick.

In this first clip, Wirfs’ mean streak is on full display. Playing in the trenches comes down to attitude and willpower. Wirfs consistently shows that drive and fire to finish blocks and move piles. Above, Iowa faces a second-and-short. Wirfs (74) moves his defender completely off the ball at the snap. He carries him downfield and creates impressive movement that will translate at the next level.

Unfortunately for Iowa, its left side of the line gets beat and this run goes for a loss despite Wirfs popping off the screen.

Here Wirfs displays what his natural gifts provide in pass protection. Despite being pushed back at the initial point of attack, Wirfs regains his footing and holds his ground against a Wisconsin bull-rushing end. Once he re-engages, Wirfs stands firm and finishes a punishing pancake block by fully extending his arms and driving through his hips.

Jedrick Wills, 6-5, 320 pounds, Alabama, junior

Wills may not have been the best tackle on his team, as left tackle Alex Leatherwood features characteristics of a franchise-changing prospect, but that doesn’t mean Wills won’t go on to have a successful NFL career.

With Leatherwood announcing his return to Tuscaloosa last week, Wills is the top Crimson Tide offensive lineman available. Alabama finished third in sacks allowed, and running back Najee Harris ranked in the top 25 for rushing yards behind Wills at right tackle.

Like Wirfs, Wills’ future as a left tackle is unclear, but he improved upon his 2018 season by dominating the right side of Alabama’s line. He bulldozed defenders with his overpowering size and strength. According to Pro Football Focus, Wills grades as a 90.5 overall run blocker and is a 75 grade in pass protection.

Over two seasons on the right side, Wills earned second-team All-America honors from the Associated Press, Sporting News and Walter Camp, on top of All-SEC honors. His ability to create leverage using angles in the run game helped Wills clean up offseason awards and clear holes for Harris.

In a time when it is commonplace for potential high draft picks to skip their bowl games, Wills helped the Crimson Tide beat Michigan 35-16 in the Citrus Bowl. He told SI.com there was no doubt he would play.

“I feel like no matter what I was going to play,” Wills said. “If I had the opportunity to leave or if I didn’t. If I was a, like, first-round draft pick or if I was a fifth-round draft pick. No matter where I was standing or if I had the opportunity to leave I would still play just because, you know, just to be there for my brothers. Play for the last time in the Alabama uniform.”

Let’s look at a few plays that highlight what will likely make Wills a top-15 pick.

Wilks (74) shows signs that he’s the best pass-blocking prospect available. Against South Carolina, he serves as a wall on the Tide’s right side that no Gamecock could penetrate. His combination of lower body strength, strong punching and understanding of technique are on display below.

Though he played right tackle, Tagovailoa is a lefty, so Wills protected his blind side. Often coach Nick Saban trusted Wills on an island versus the SEC’s top pass rushers. Wills probably is the most NFL-ready prospect available in terms of pass protection.

Austin Jackson, 6-6, 310 pounds, USC, junior

Jackson has not declared for the draft yet. Players have until Jan. 20 to do so. His case is puzzling. His slightly leaner build suggests he’s not a finished product. Last offseason, he donated bone marrow to his sister, which kept him out of USC’s summer strength and conditioning programs.

For the same reason, he also was limited in training camp. But that didn’t stop Jackson from earning first-team All-Pac 12 honors. Still, his physical attributes will likely make a front office look past his limited 2018 offseason. Perhaps plugging Jackson into an NFL strength and conditioning plan could be what unlocks his potential.

What stands out about Jackson is his length. His arms are long and he features NBA-caliber height. Take a smooth, fluid approach that combined the flexibility and agility typically reserved for smaller players, and it’s easy to see why Jackson should have a long NFL career.

In the Holiday Bowl, which USC lost 49-24, Jackson struggled against Iowa edge rusher A.J. Epenesa. Jackson picked a poor time to disappoint, but again, his physical traits could be enough for a GM to overlook a lousy bowl game against a premier pass rusher in Epenesa.

Let’s look at a few plays that highlight what will likely make Jackson a top-15 pick.

Quickness is one of Jackson’s brightest attributes. He can handle twitchy pass rushers by keeping his feet, moving his hands and reacting to a spin or other evasive moves thrown at him. Against Utah, Jackson (73) is at left tackle and facing a one-on-one with a defensive end.

At the snap, the Utah defender tries putting Jackson through a spin cycle, but he shows great discipline by not overpunching. Instead, he keeps his target in front of him. After the spin move, Jackson is there waiting and puts the clamps on. This is an impressive sequence on a third-and-4 at midfield against a creative pass rusher.

Jackson struggled against Iowa, but here he got the better of Epenesa (who is also a projected first-round pick) by using his quick hands. Epenesa lines up at defensive end at the top of the screen, tries shooting his hands fast. But Jackson’s quick reflexes shoot his gloves down, and momentum drives Epensa into the turf.

What’s next?

When “Tackle Week” continues on Friday, we’ll take a look at other tackles who could garner consideration for the No. 10 pick, along with other possible tackles the Browns should consider on Day 2 of the 2020 NFL Draft.
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
I'm a Georgia guy... I don't have any confidence that Fromm will have any major success in the NFL.

I saw someone call him a better version of Cody Kessler. Oof.
I think he is better than that, but he isn't elite by any means.

I'd say he gets picked mid 2nd round, but you never know. Maybe late 1st.

Except that we've seen their talent and ability on display.
If there are issues, it won't be from a talent perspective, but from a personality, attitude, or work ethic perspective.

Yet even this season I know of at least one game where Higgins had more than 20 plays and Baker only threw to him one time. No matter how great people wish to make Higgins out to be on here, even in his best season he had less than 600 yards receiving and four TD's.

Talent? Sure. Overrated by Browns fans? I certainly think so.
As for Higgins, he is a decent player. He can contribute, but not carry.
Higgins is a useful player, who we should have kept involved in the offense. People talk about Dorsey making a mistake with Zeittler, but Dorsey trading Fells, and Freddie sitting/ignoring Higgins are probably even bigger mistakes.
Maybe we wait and see how the next HC values Higgins. People somehow think a players trajectory is always positive and they think that no matter the changes on your roster their role should remain the same. That's certainly not always the case. Heck, the next HC may not even want him on the roster next year.
Just how many high paid PROFESSIONAL coach's ( not counting the next one ) have the Browns had that got the roster right ..lol
My top choice is Andrew Thomas OT Georgia
I cannot see any scenario that he falls to #10
I would consider trading up for him it he starts to fall a few spots.
I can see him going as high as #3 overall.

My second choice would be Derrick Brown DL Auburn
We get more stout against the run and he can rush the passer as well
I pair him with Larry O and move Richardson to DE

My 3rd choice is Isaiah Simmons LB/S Clemson
We need to improve at both the LB and safety position
We need someone who can cover a TE
Against Baltimore I put home on Marc Andrews 100% of the time
Let's see what Lamar can do when Andrews is covered

If all 3 are gone, I look to trade dow targeting one of the following players:
Mekhi Becton OT Louisville
Creed Humphrey C/OG Oklahoma
Tyler Biadasz C/OG Wisconson
AJ Epenesa Edge Iowa
Javon Kinlaw DT S Carolina
Originally Posted By: Jester
My top choice is Andrew Thomas OT Georgia
I cannot see any scenario that he falls to #10
I would consider trading up for him it he starts to fall a few spots.
I can see him going as high as #3 overall.

My second choice would be Derrick Brown DL Auburn
We get more stout against the run and he can rush the passer as well
I pair him with Larry O and move Richardson to DE

My 3rd choice is Isaiah Simmons LB/S Clemson
We need to improve at both the LB and safety position
We need someone who can cover a TE
Against Baltimore I put home on Marc Andrews 100% of the time
Let's see what Lamar can do when Andrews is covered

If all 3 are gone, I look to trade dow targeting one of the following players:
Mekhi Becton OT Louisville
Creed Humphrey C/OG Oklahoma
Tyler Biadasz C/OG Wisconson
AJ Epenesa Edge Iowa
Javon Kinlaw DT S Carolina

I would be ecstatic any of the first 3 (Andrew Thomas OT, Derrick Brown DL, and Isaiah Simmons LB/S) you mentioned and I also like Tristen Wirfs OT, Grant Delpit S, Tyler Biadasz C/OG, AJ Epenesa Edge, and Javon Kinlaw DT thumbsup
Draft the best LT available, then sign RT Conklin from Ten.
I can get on board with that.
Originally Posted By: Frenchy
Draft the best LT available, then sign RT Conklin from Ten.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!
Then sign G Joe Thuney from NE if they he can play RG, he has played LG in his first 4 years in the league.
Originally Posted By: Frenchy
Then sign G Joe Thuney from NE if they he can play RG, he has played LG in his first 4 years in the league.

Between Forbes and Teller I think we're okay at RG. Got to fix the tackles and the FA pickings are slim.

Wilks might have some insight on DJ Humphries who is one of the few who might be worth looking at.

Looks mainly like aging, injury prone guys or guys who are on the same level as what we've had.
How tough would it be for Robinson to slide over to RT?
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
How tough would it be for Robinson to slide over to RT?

We won't have to know.
Hahahaha. Fair enough.

I'm just thinking it'll be too tough to address both starting tackle spots in 1 offseason. Getting someone better than Robinson in at LT is needed, and getting someone better than Hubbard at RT is needed, and filling the RG spot with SOMEONE is needed... I just don't think 3 people need to lose their jobs (or more specifically, we need to bring in 3 new people that are actually going to succeed) in order for us to accomplish the task of significantly improving the Oline.

Put another way, I kinda see it like the old WR arguments we used to have. So-and-so would be pressed into that nebulous #1 WR role and would struggle, but as soon as someone else would come in and move them into the #2 or #3 role, they would play much better. I see the same thing with the Oline, in terms of LT -> RT -> RG.
Robinson is going to be an unrestricted free agent.

I bet Wyatt Teller and Drew Forbes get a shot at right guard.
Robinson is going to be an unrestricted free agent.

I bet Wyatt Teller and Drew Forbes get a shot at right guard.

and Robinson isn't good enough to give him a new contract just to experiment with him at RT.

Unless he's willing to come back as a backup at veteran minimum, and again on a one year tryout deal, he has no place here.
Yeah, I see what you and cfrs (and others probably) are saying. I guess it took a while for it to click that he's an UFA. He won't agree to a lesser contract to come back and compete for the RT spot. Someone will pick him up, I bet.
Someone will pick [Greg Robinson] up, I bet.

We are the third team Robinson has failed with, he might be toast unless he is willing to take a big pay cut and a reduced role.
He bullied the heck out of him.
I've been reading up on Austin Jackson USC LT.. I'm intrigued.
Saahdiq Charles, LSU's OT just declared, so there's another quality tackle in the mix.
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg
I've been reading up on Austin Jackson USC LT.. I'm intrigued.

I like him as well, reminds me of Winston Justice (who was a fine college tackle for USC as well) But he moves well...be interesting to see more of him.
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Looks intriguing, but he looks like he has about 100 pounds on every guy in that video.
I'd like to see something of how he did against larger DE's.
He showcases one technique here: the "Shove them to the ground with brute force" move.

Probably not a 10th overall pick.... grab in later on as a dewvelopmental guy, perhaps.
j/c...

Dane Brugler's offensive tackle rankings from mid-December:

Offensive tackles
1. *Jedrick Wills Jr., Alabama (6-5, 322, 5.28)
While most have Wirfs or Thomas as OT1, Wills is the best tackle prospect I have evaluated in this class. He is explosive through his hips with the wide, lower body movements to mirror in pass protection and the upper body power to steamroll defenders in the run game. While he needs some fine-tuning, Wills has all the talent and upside to be a top-five pick in this draft.

2. *Tristan Wirfs, Iowa (6-5, 320, 5.08)
3. *Andrew Thomas, Georgia (6-5, 318, 5.11)
4. *Austin Jackson, USC (6-6, 308, 5.08)
5. Josh Jones, Houston (6-5, 309, 5.31)
6. *Isaiah Wilson, Georgia (6-7, 339, 5.42)
7. *Mekhi Becton, Louisville (6-7, 365, 5.47)
8. *Alex Leatherwood, Alabama (6-5, 320, 5.30)
9. Trey Adams, Washington (6-8, 304, 5.27)
10. *Samuel Cosmi, Texas (6-7, 302, 5.10)
That move alone certainly won't work against the speedy edge rushers across the NFL. With his size, I would certainly have to see a lot of tape showing his agility to support him as the pick at #10.
Dane Brugler's Mock Darft 2.0 from 1/14/20:

10. Cleveland Browns — Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia
Part of the reason for Baker Mayfield’s sophomore struggles stemmed from his lack of confidence in the Browns’ protection, specifically outside at offensive tackle. Thomas needs to eliminate some bad habits and stay off the ground, but he has shock absorbers for hands and gets the job done with his lower body, projecting as a starter early in his career.

41. Cleveland Browns — Ashtyn Davis, FS, Cal
We picked a good draft to need a tackle.
an OT named Thomas at #10 would make me quite happy.

He, or Wirfs, I think, are solid choices.
I wouldn't hate the idea of a trade up for Chase Young, though, either.
2020 NFL DRAFT PROSPECTS 3.0

BY: JOE MARINOJANUARY 16TH, 2020

Photo: Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports
I’ve had a fun week of evaluating prospects and want to talk about some of those players I studied. This week’s 6-Pack is again focused on discussing players I recently evaluated in a different format.

I hope that this column has become a staple for you each week, but just in case you are new, 6-Pack Thursday is my weekly brain dump on six football-related things that involve the NFL, college football or NFL draft.

Let's crack this thing open.

JEDRICK WILLS, OT, ALABAMA
Jedrick Wills is a joy to watch on tape. His performances against Auburn and LSU were arguably the best two games of film I’ve watched for any offensive linemen in the 2019 or 2020 class. Wills displayed plenty of flashes in 2018 and his power was easy to fall in love with last season, but he put together the technical side of things this year. I believe he’s the best offensive linemen in the class.

Wills is so smooth. His ability to frame rushers on the perimeter, stay square and stymie rushers is second to none. Rushers literally come to a halt with the roadblocks Wills sets up by reaching his set points and taking away rush angles. He is outstanding in space and is truly a fit for all schemes.

Don’t get hung up that he played exclusively on the right side in Alabama. First, quarterback Tua Tagovailoa is left-handed so he was the blindside protector. Secondly, Wills progress at right tackle makes me want to leave him there, but there’s nothing about his skill set that suggests he couldn’t play left tackle if that’s where his NFL team needed him to play. He’s OT1.

DAMON ARNETTE, CB, OHIO STATE
Like most, I was lukewarm on Damon Arnette entering 2019 but he had a terrific season and now I view him as a top-five cornerback in this year’s class. No, his shaky moments in 2017 and 2018 shouldn’t be forgotten but I love to see upward growth from prospects who ascend throughout their career and play their best football as a senior. That’s Arnette.

The first game I watched from him was versus Michigan State and let me just tell you I’m certain Spartans wide receiver No. 7 is still having nightmares about how to beat Arnette’s jams in press coverage. He is dominant both in soft press or when tasked with truly creating jams at the release. Arnette is suffocating with his ability to crowd routes and disrupt timing. He’s patient and fluid in his pedal and you can just tell he has a natural ability to mirror routes.

For a defense look for a press corner that also thrives in zone, Arnette should be an early starter. He’d be a dream top half of the second pick.

NEVILLE GALLIMORE, DT, OKLAHOMA
I love urgent defensive football players and that’s exactly what you get from Neville Gallimore. It wasn’t always the case when studying him last seasons but Gallimore flipped the switch in 2019 and put some incredible hustle plays on tape. Gallimore is one of those players that “brings the juice.”

While Gallimore does attack the line of scrimmage with reckless abandon, he generally stays under control and shows strong penetration skills. His hands are powerful and he really developed counters to help him clear contact. His ability to rush the passer from the interior is really exciting and something that is of great value in the NFL.

I don’t love Gallimore against the run. He has some inconsistency anchoring at the point and not getting washed against drive blocks. He’s one of those guys that brings the fight and a lot of power when in attack mode but if he has to fight for his gap there is something to be desired. But the things Gallimore does well can help an NFL defense get pressure in the face of the quarterback and that trumps some concerns about his ability to defend the run.

A.J. EPENESA, EDGE, IOWA
The Bill Belichick disciples are going to love A.J. Epenesa. He’s long, heavy-handed and has all the power in the world to defend the run and compromise the width of the pocket as a pass rusher.

Epenesa stacked consecutive seasons of dominant tape in 2018 and 2019 but I really appreciate his technical growth this season. His pass rush arsenal and hand technique took a major step forward. He became more consistent with the timing and placement of his hands while taking full advantage of his length to play with extension and control blocks. Epenesa’s bull rush and push-pull moves are devastating. He simply puts a lot of stress on offensive tackles to anchor because of his blend of length, size and power.

You won’t come away from Epenesa falling for his burst or flexibility, but that’s not why he wins. While he eats up ground with his stride length and moves well, he wins because of power, length and technique. I think he’s such a clean evaluation and prospect to figure out. Epenesa has inside/outside rush ability in even fronts and there’s no doubt he can also play five-technique all at a high level.

J.K. DOBBINS, RB, OHIO STATE
Good luck trying to poke holes in J.K. Dobbins’ game — he’s such a complete running back. Dobbins is another prospect that improved throughout his career and dominated in his final year racking up 2,250 yards from scrimmage with 23 touchdowns.

I love Dobbins’ vision, decision-making, pace, physicality and burst. That blend of traits enables him to effectively pound the rock between the tackles while also working off-tackle. He’s very natural and that becomes apparent by how he addresses late-flashing defenders. Dobbins is incredibly savvy in how quickly he responds to those situations and the comfort he shows adjusting his course.

Dobbins has outstanding contact balance and he battles for every inch he can gain. For a back listed at 5-foot-10, 217 pounds, Dobbins has more twitch and wiggle than expected. He’s good in pass protection and is a reliable receiver although I think he has room to grow as a route runner. Dobbins is the total package and will most likely be my RB1.

MEKHI BECTON, OT, LOUISVILLE
Mekhi Becton is one of those prospects that I wound up watching way more film than necessary to figure him out because he’s just so damn fun. He is 6-foot-7, 370 pounds and takes up two full yards when in a two-point stance. Becton plays with a nasty demeanor and has mobility I never expected to find.

The power components of his game are easy to spot. His punches are devastating and he drives men against their will with ease in the run game. If you need a vertical push, just run the ball behind Becton and prosper. He ragdolled college defensive ends and widened gaps to the point that an 18-wheeler can fit through them sideways. But what’s fascinating is how much lateral mobility Becton has. His reach and movement skills make him an outstanding zone blocker in addition to his obvious ability to move bodies in power concepts.

In pass protection, I love Becton’s upside. He is a smooth operator that functions with body control and balance that you’d never expect for a man of his stature. He has no issues redirecting, sliding his feet and keeping pace up the arc. And of course, his ridiculous length and functional strength increase his overall margin for error if his technique fails him.

The 2020 offensive tackle class is loaded. But don’t assume anything about Becton because of his listed measurements. He has a high ceiling with more versatility than expected.

I do think it is fair to mention his struggles with maintaining his weight in the past and how he performed prior to 2019. But the coaching staff under Scott Satterfield got the best out of Becton and his arrow is pointing up.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/6-pack-thursday--let-s-talk-2020-nfl-draft-prospects-3.0

Dorsey was thinking ahead!
Becton remind me a lot of that OL we had years ago nicknamed 'Big Cakes'.

Lots of mobility with that kind of size is amazing, and the thought of the Ravens ending up with him at LT and being able to run power behind that is kinda unnerving, but I'm not certain I want to drop a high 1st rounder on him, yet. He needs to show a lot, lot more.

I expect there to be a run on OT's, though, and I figure he'll go before our 2nd round pick.
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Higgins is a useful player, who we should have kept involved in the offense. People talk about Dorsey making a mistake with Zeittler, but Dorsey trading Fells, and Freddie sitting/ignoring Higgins are probably even bigger mistakes.

No arguments here. Higgins is a decent player who runs good routes and catches the ball. Solid possession guy. We should have used him more.

I think we have Njoku way over rated. I agree, Fells is way better than him. I liked what I saw of Carlson. I think he has a chance to be a plus player.

There are quite a few good ones, and getting deeper. A LSU tackle just announced yesterday. I hope that depth doesn't tempt us to wait until round 2. This is one year where need and BPA are going to closely align. Don't screw it up. The only non OT I would take at 10 is Derrick Brown, DT Auburn. That guy is a game wrecker. No worries though, I can't see any possibility he falls to 10 barring some unknown facts.

I would love to see OBJ moved. Maybe draft safety Delpit with the OBJ pick. But, Stefanski might love the idea of OBJ being on his offensive squad.

Speaking of OBJ, we heard about a season long injury that will probably require surgery. What's he going to do, wait to have it late enough he misses camp?

J/c

I think Stefanski views our personnel very similar to Minnesota’s. Competent QB, two good WRs, stud RBs ... just need to upgrade the OT positions

There are quite a few good ones, and getting deeper. A LSU tackle just announced yesterday. I hope that depth doesn't tempt us to wait until round 2. This is one year where need and BPA are going to closely align. Don't screw it up. The only non OT I would take at 10 is Derrick Brown, DT Auburn. That guy is a game wrecker. No worries though, I can't see any possibility he falls to 10 barring some unknown facts.

I would love to see OBJ moved. Maybe draft safety Delpit with the OBJ pick. But, Stefanski might love the idea of OBJ being on his offensive squad.

Speaking of OBJ, we heard about a season long injury that will probably require surgery. What's he going to do, wait to have it late enough he misses camp?

I liked the idea of Delpit better than I like the actual player on the field.

I'd rather hold onto OBJ, go OL with our first 2 picks, and take someone like Kyle Dugger at safety later. I do want to see more of Dugger at the Senior Bowl as his level of competition left something to be desired.
It makes me nervous thinking about potentially starting 2 rookie tackles. I can't see the scenario under which the OLine coach or KS is going to allow that.
Except for one thing; the 2 rookie OT might be better than what we started this past season!
::sigh:: True dat
I pretty much agree with you. I don't think they'll go the route of two rookie OT's. It's possible but I don't find it likely.

What I will focus on is LT possibilities in the draft. I will rule out every candidate that has more brawn than technique. The indication is we will be running the zone blocking scheme. In today's NFL outside edge rushers possess both size and speed. In both cases that takes an athletic LT.

That's why I was so high on Joe Thomas. Joe Thomas is a generational player. They rarely come along. So it's not as if I feel we're going to draft another Joe Thomas. But in terms of technique, hand work, footwork and athleticism, he's most certainly the "prototypical type" of LT we should be targeting.
I agree. I don’t see us having two rookie OT’s. If we come away with an OT and a DT with our first two picks I’d be happy
With the 10th selection in the 2020 NFL Draft ... The Cleveland Browns select OT from Iowa ... Tristan Wirfs
Yahoo Sports mock draft has top 3 LT gone by pick #8 in the first round:

Tristan Wirfs, Iowa @ #4 to Giants

Jedrick Wills, Alabama @ #5 to Dolphins

Andrew Thomas, Georgia @ #8 to Cardinals

Mekhi Becton, Louisville @ #10 to Browns

https://sports.yahoo.com/postbowl-season-nfl-mock-draft-four-q-bs-land-in-round-1-163246345.html

We might need to trade up if we want a guy who's ready to start year 1 in the NFL
My guess is that a couple of trade ups will allow a tackle to fall to us. If not trade down.

Hopefully we address the tackle position somewhat in free agency instead of going into the season with someone like Greg Robinson as our starter.
Miami has #5, #18, and #26 in the first round. I wonder if Mike Brown is dumb enough to trade out of #1 for a haul of Miami picks. A trade like that could start a chain reaction that might push one of the top 3 LT down to us.
My top 4 would probably be:

Simmons LB/DB
Wills OT
Thomas OT
Wirfs OT

I figure one of those 4 will fall to us, unless nobody likes WRs or QBs.
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg

I liked the idea of Delpit better than I like the actual player on the field.

I'd rather hold onto OBJ, go OL with our first 2 picks, and take someone like Kyle Dugger at safety later. I do want to see more of Dugger at the Senior Bowl as his level of competition left something to be desired.

That too. Just throwing around ideas.
Originally Posted By: Dave

https://sports.yahoo.com/postbowl-season-nfl-mock-draft-four-q-bs-land-in-round-1-163246345.html

We might need to trade up if we want a guy who's ready to start year 1 in the NFL

Whether or not there is a run on OT's, if the dude isn't worthy of a Top 10 pick, you don't take him there, and aside from him being able to pancake smallish DE's in the ACC, I have seen/heard nothing to suggest this cat is even a 1st rounder.
And running the zone blocking scheme, that's not the skill set we'll be looking for.
I think we should go OL with both of our first picks to be honest.

Director of the Senior Bowl^^^

Whether or not there is a run on OT's, if the dude isn't worthy of a Top 10 pick, you don't take him there, and aside from him being able to pancake smallish DE's in the ACC, I have seen/heard nothing to suggest this cat is even a 1st rounder.

Dane Brugler and Daniel Jeremiah are pretty high on him.

Might have to further along in that string of tweets.

He has believers on draft twitter, too.

I haven't dug into him too much yet, but he's got some buzz. If he continues to work hard and goes into the combine in good looking shape, I could see him going round 1 pretty easily.

When he's at his best, he's pretty dominant. Can he stay there consistently is the question.
Jedrick Wills at #10. Best Right Tackle in the draft.

Then trade 2nd round pick to Washington Redskins for Trent Williams.

Offensive line fixed.
Originally Posted By: Day of the Dawg

Offensive line fixed.

At this point I think we could get Williams for our 2nd 3rd ... JMHO
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

Offensive line fixed.

And that's all I would give. He is a great player, but is older and injury prone.
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

Offensive line fixed.

And that's all I would give. He is a great player, but is older and injury prone.

I would NOT even think of giving them a 2 for a LT thats about to turn 32 I believe ...
Maybe my response to the quote was unclear: I would give our 2nd 3 rounder, at the most.
Maybe my response to the quote was unclear: I would give our 2nd 3 rounder, at the most.

I understood I was letting you know I agree with you smile
I'm exhausted. Brain shut down 20 minutes ago.

What are you willing to give Washington for their 2nd pick?
j/c...

PFF's 50 best available NFL free agents in 2020
This Years 1st (10) Next Years 1st (2021) This Years 2nd 3rd (26) for Chase Young

Round 1 Pick 2 (WASH): Chase Young, DE/OLB, Ohio State (A+)
Round 2 Pick 10: Larrell Murchison, DT, NC State (A)
Round 3 Pick 15 (DEN): Alaric Jackson, OT, Iowa (A+)
Round 4 Pick 10: Josh Metellus, FS/SS, Michigan (A+)
Round 4 Pick 15 (DEN): Jon Runyan, OG, Michigan (A)
Round 6 Pick 8: Ashtyn Davis, FS/SS, California (A+)
Round 7 Pick 10: Luke Farrell, TE, Ohio State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 22: Tyler Johnson, WR, Minnesota (A+)

Your Future Picks:
2022 Round 1 Pick
No, just no.
No, just no.

I agree. If we do any trading at all, move down a bit to get a pick.
No, just no.

Maybe package our 2nd rounder and some more later picks to move back into the tail end of round one for a 2nd OT. 10 looks like a good spot for the first one.
No, just no.

Maybe package our 2nd rounder and some more later picks to move back into the tail end of round one for a 2nd OT. 10 looks like a good spot for the first one.

I could see that. My comment was aimed more towards our 1st rounder. I wouldn't want to draft 2 OTs that high. Lets find one in FA. A couple of bookend rookie tackles doesn't breed confidence.
I would agree about having two rookie OT's. The problem is that LT's that are any good and young never hit the FA market. And waiting longer to draft one hurts your chances.

Depending on who is on the board at #10, if they can get who they feel is the perfect choice at LT, I hope they take him. If not I could see a slight trade down.
If both OT spots can be satisfactorily fixed in free agency, I am 100% onboard with this idea.

The O would be fixed and the DLine would be given another beast to pair with Myles. Add a beast of a DT to push Ogun or Richardson to depth and we're starting to start having something.
j/c...

I would agree about having two rookie OT's. The problem is that LT's that are any good and young never hit the FA market. And waiting longer to draft one hurts your chances.

Depending on who is on the board at #10, if they can get who they feel is the perfect choice at LT, I hope they take him. If not I could see a slight trade down.

No disagreement. It's why I said I wouldn't want to drop down very far. That said, LT's are overvalued in todays NFL. QB's are rolling away from them all the time.

As stated before, I think it more important to have a solid starting 3 on the interior, but that is just me and maybe I am nitpicking points now.

We both agree we need to solidify the O-line. We drafted a QB #1 over all. It makes no sense to try to keep throwing 4th rounders in front of him.
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

A bit chilly down there now, but will be in the 50's and 60's by Wed. Pretty seasonal. They are probably liking it.

I like Mobile. A nice city. Been there several times. I am sure the boys will eat at Wentzell's Oyster House a few times. You have to do that when in Mobile.

No disagreement. It's why I said I wouldn't want to drop down very far. That said, LT's are overvalued in todays NFL. QB's are rolling away from them all the time.

As stated before, I think it more important to have a solid starting 3 on the interior, but that is just me and maybe I am nitpicking points now.

We both agree we need to solidify the O-line. We drafted a QB #1 over all. It makes no sense to try to keep throwing 4th rounders in front of him.

I don't know Peen. I saw Bosa and others make our left and right tackles look ridiculous.
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty

I don't know Peen. I saw Bosa and others make our left and right tackles look ridiculous.

It's mostly because there was pressure up the middle. If the QB can step up, outside rushing angles are ruined. Also, what happened to the roll out pass last year? If you roll, the line can roll and you don't even have to worry about the backside guy unless you just hold the ball. If nothing is open, run, take your 3-4-5 yards and call it a good play.
I like Mobile. A nice city. Been there several times. I am sure the boys will eat at Wentzell's Oyster House a few times. You have to do that when in Mobile.

Spent several months in Mobile on a project this past summer flying home on the weekends and ate at Wintzell's Oyster House at least a dozen times. Great Happy Hour. Good spot. They have a countdown clock on their wall for the Senior Bowl.

Noja's, The Noble South and Callaghan's Irish Social Club are also good spots.
Quote:
10 looks like a good spot for the first one.

Don't know if you saw my post earlier, but #10 might not get you one of the top 3 LT. The mock linked below (and one other I saw by Dane Brugler) both had Wills, Wirfs, and Thomas all gone by #8. The guy that was mocked to us (Becton, Louisville) might not be a particularly good choice for a zone blocking scheme. He weighs in at 365-370.

We might need to trade up if we want one of the top LT.
Quote:
10 looks like a good spot for the first one.

Don't know if you saw my post earlier, but #10 might not get you one of the top 3 LT. The mock linked below (and one other I saw by Dane Brugler) both had Wills, Wirfs, and Thomas all gone by #8. The guy that was mocked to us (Becton, Louisville) might not be a particularly good choice for a zone blocking scheme. He weighs in at 365-370.

We might need to trade up if we want one of the top LT.

There are about 10 OTs I like.

I expect 3 QBs, Chase Young, and Okudah to go before 10.

Becton is a freak, and looks like he's hard at work getting fitter and faster with Duke Manyweather and Michael Johnson. He moves in ways that shouldn't be possible for someone that big. He could end up being the first tackle taken after a monster combine.

I don't know about the interview side, but physically he probably has the highest ceiling.

I'm not sure we're going as all in on zone blocking as we've been led to believe. With news of Callahan becoming our OL coach, he's willing to adjust to the players he has to work with. He uses man and zone blocking.

Spent several months in Mobile on a project this past summer flying home on the weekends and ate at Wintzell's Oyster House at least a dozen times. Great Happy Hour. Good spot. They have a countdown clock on their wall for the Senior Bowl.

Noja's, The Noble South and Callaghan's Irish Social Club are also good spots.

Never been to Nobel. Haven't heard of it actually. I'll have to look it up the next time down to the Gulf. Spent more than a few hours at the Irish Social.
Fixer Upper: Patching the Browns OT holes.

https://waitingfornextyear.com/2020/01/cleveland-browns-nfl-draft-free-agency-offensive-tackle-2020/

Sashi Brown tore the house down to rebuild the foundation. John Dorsey tried a quick flip, but he hired the wrong contractors and put too much focus on having a luxurious pool. The Cleveland Browns believe they have a solid structure in an ideal location with loads of potential, but there are definitely some areas within the team that requires being patched or completely re-worked as Kevin Stefanski takes over the coaching side of the organization. One of those areas is at offensive tackle where replacing both Greg Robinson and Chris Hubbard should be considered necessary components facilitating offensive improvements for the 2020 season.

Better play by the tackles will help quarterback Baker Mayfield be able to make more plays from the pocket, help running back Nick Chubb have more lanes to run, and also will help alleviate issues at right guard should the Browns not have enough assets to fix three positions on the offensive line.

The issue is further compounded by the likelihood Stefanski will institute more zone-blocking components in the offense, which is the scheme employed by the San Francisco 49ers, Green Bay Packers, and Tennessee Titans in last weekend’s conference championship games. Such a scheme puts more emphasis on intelligence,1 intuitiveness,2 quickness,3 and fleetness of foot4 by the offensive line, while de-emphasizing strength and length to a degree.

The vast difference in styles and usage is likely one of the reasons offensive line coach James Campen was not retained despite being a well-respected coach. Obtaining a coach who has taught and understands the scheme is as important as having lineman such as Joel Bitonio and J.C. Tretter who fit the needed elements across the line.

The good news is the 2020 offseason happens to have a plethora of available tackles both in free agency and the upcoming NFL draft. If the Browns are dedicated, then they could find options superior to what they currently employ.

Here are the options and how they could be used to fix the biggest issue holding back the offense.

Free agency
Jack Conklin, RT, Titans
Cornelius Lucas, LT, Bears
Matt Feiler, RT, Steelers (RFA)
Jason Peters, LT, Eagles
Bryan Bulaga, RT, Packers
Anthony Castonzo, LT, Colts
Halapoulivaati Vaitai, RT, Eagles
Zach Banner, OT, Steelers (RFA)
Conklin and Castonzo had outstanding years, but it is unlikely either reach free agency. If one does, then the Browns should push hard to sign them. There are other decent options for starters– though with bigger questions. Steeler offensive linemen tend to not play as well outside of Pittsburgh as they get coached well in their scheme– for reference, see Hubbard’s time with the Browns. Lucas played well down the stretch upon being thrust into the starting lineup, but he has had limited experience. Perhaps the best option for the Browns in free agency would be to sign 38 year old Jason Peters as a short-term patch or to lure Bryan Bulaga from Green Bay.

NFL Draft
Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville
Jedrick Wills, OT, Alabama
Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia
Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa
Lucas Niang, OT, TCU
Austin Jackson, OT, USC
Others to consider: Trey Adams (Washington), Prince Tega Wanogho (Auburn), Josh Jones (Houston), Isaiah Wilson (Georgia)
There are not many scenarios where the Browns should not select an offensive tackle with the No. 10 overall pick, but the franchise should feel comfortable letting the draft play out to their slot rather than any need to trade up. There are four Tier-1 offensive tackles in this draft worthy of being drafted from the Browns’ post, and many others who would be good backup offensive linemen in later rounds.

Mekhi Becton: The other three OT in the Tier-1 group are 6-foot-5 and 320 pounds. Becton is a monster at 6-foot-7 and 360 pounds. Such girth projects a lineman that would have less functional athleticism, quickness, and agility. However, Becton is equal or better in these areas plus adding advantages in strength and stoutness. A former basketball player, Becton moves with fluidity, finds unblocked defenders in space with ease, and finishes his blocks with ferocity. Despite not many prospect lists having him as a first-round pick during the season, my expectation is that he “rises” up boards as more of the true analysts watch his tape. Unless red flags arise, he is at the top of my wish list for the Browns.

Jedrick Wills: Wills played on the right side at Alabama but would provide value even if he stays there in the NFL. He appears the strongest of these candidates on film with an easy strength to stop incoming rushers. With outstanding balance and form, Wills projects as a fit with nearly any style offense at the next level. The Tide had him moving forward more than laterally, so there could be some concern about his overall agility if he does not test well. The clean technique and film though make him have perhaps the highest floor of any tackle prospect this year.

Andrew Thomas: Thomas was my No. 1 OT prospect before the Browns switched to a more zone-heavy scheme. He has a great base and powerful hands. When tasked with the basic left tackle duties, he is stout and quick. However, his weakness– relative to the others above him here– is his lateral movement and abilities in open space. Those become more prominent deficiencies in the expected scheme. It is a testament to the strength of this tackle class that the ‘fit’ drops such a strong prospect.

Tristan Wirfs: Like Wills, Wirfs played on the right side. He has a great first step and punches to initiate contact with his opposition and his ability to move laterally gives him benefits to exploit. The worry with Wirfs is a lack of agility that has caused him some consternation when needing to deal with speed rushers, which holds him below the other prospects listed here.

Summary
The Cleveland Browns have the fancy new pool with the outdoor barbeque. They have a solid foundation and are in a prime location. But, none of that matters if the drywall is falling off the studs throughout the house. It is time for the franchise to replace the offensive tackles and go into the 2020 season ready to showcase what they’ve built.
Being stuck in Mobile gives me the Memphis blues. wink
Again??
j/c...

ChadP71 @BrownsAccess
@chadp71
#Browns
Many believe the Browns should let GRob leave and draft a LT then go with it. Using PFF data I tracked every tackle drafted in the 1st RD from 2014 to 2019 to show how difficult to hit on a OT is. Sack+Hits+Hurries=Pressures
Robinson allowed 26 for the 19 season

**Click link for chart**

https://twitter.com/chadp71/status/1219796618238668800
If we can land a legit LT in FA (this is on top of drafting one at 10), then I'd feel a little better about letting GRob walk. Depends on how he would fit into our new blocking scheme, I guess.

As far as I can tell, we only have 2 starters on the line that are set. We have to find 3 starters, and I think best case scenario is someone currently on the roster bubbles up over the offseason and fills the RG spot (put another way, we have to find 2 starter-caliber tackles in the offseason).
I'd be okay with making a play for Jason Peters for 2 years, moving down to 15, getting another 2nd round pick and picking the best safety at 15 we can get then draft Austin Jackson at the 2nd round pick and put him at RT.. move him to LT in 2 years and ditch Peters
Miami has #5, #18, and #26 in the first round. I wonder if Mike Brown is dumb enough to trade out of #1 for a haul of Miami picks. A trade like that could start a chain reaction that might push one of the top 3 LT down to us.
I would trade it for 5, 18, 26 and a next years 1. Then use ammo to trade to 2 and take chase young smile

What the above chart is saying is that rookie tackles, that are drafted in the first round, are usually no better than Greg Robinson was last year (and we aren't even going to get the best one).
https://nfldraft.theringer.com/

The above draft ranking page is the coolest setup I've ever seen.
1. Wirfs
2. Simmons
3. Trade Down

That's my board for the tenth pick. It won't change.

What the above chart is saying is that rookie tackles, that are drafted in the first round, are usually no better than Greg Robinson was last year (and we aren't even going to get the best one).

That's because most college tackles aren't that great technique-wise.

This year there are several good ones.

Stats can be misleading.

Stats can be misleading.
And we just signed a great OL coach, one of the best in the biz to teach them.

Stats can be misleading.

It can also imply from the Twitter post that replacing Hubbard is the bigger priority.

That's the point. All of the guys on the chart were "supposed to be great ones" they are first round picks.

I am down for taking Wirfs because he is a perfect fit but if he's not there I'm not risking the tenth pick on a maybe.

Take care of the tackle position in free agency and go into the draft not needing to draft a tackle.
That should be doable for RT, but it will be tough at LT unless we do something like trade for Trent for a short-term rental while we groom a drafted kid.
1. Wirfs
2. Simmons
3. Trade Down

That's my board for the tenth pick. It won't change.

Like Delpit, Wirfs is a guy I went into the film expecting to like him a lot more than I did.
Quote:
Take care of the tackle position in free agency and go into the draft not needing to draft a tackle.

Exactly. FA is where you sign for need. The draft is where you select best players.

Only teams with 10 wins or more can get away with drafting for need at the top of the draft.
Quote:

Exactly. FA is where you sign for need. The draft is where you select best players.

Only teams with 10 wins or more can get away with drafting for need at the top of the draft.

Doing things that way can lead to things like Greg Robinson and Chris Hubbard being your starting tackles.

It looks like the areas we have a lot of room for improvement (both OTs) align with where highly talented players are coming out in the draft.

I'm assuming Dorsey looking ahead to this year and the depth of tackles that would be available in the draft is the reason he signed Greg Robinson to a one year deal last year.

Despite what people say, a team with 53 Nick Chubbs wouldn't win many games.

You don't just pick the best players. You have to pick the best players for your team.

Lamm and Hubbard are still under contract for 2020, so we don't "need" OTs to the point we have to break the bank for one in Free Agency. It should probably be called something else which includes the words expensive or overpriced rather than "free" agency.
I understand you aren't going to keep drafting the same position.

We do have several areas of need. OT is one of them. Needs and BPA just might match close enough this year. If teams go on a run on tackle and say 4 get drafted in the 1st 9 players, it might be better to look at some of the other players, like a Derrick Brown.

I understand you aren't going to keep drafting the same position.

We do have several areas of need. OT is one of them. Needs and BPA just might match close enough this year. If teams go on a run on tackle and say 4 get drafted in the 1st 9 players, it might be better to look at some of the other players, like a Derrick Brown.

I might look at Kinlaw instead.

It also depends on which 4 OTs.

If there is a run on tackles, you might have to take one with upside a bit earlier than you'd like in order to ensure you aren't left with none.

It depends a lot on what we think other teams will do.
Quote:

Doing things that way can lead to things like Greg Robinson and Chris Hubbard being your starting tackles.

We went into the season with Robinson and Hubbard at tackle not because the tackle position was addressed in free agency, but because it was ignored.
Other than Nate Soldier, who would you have suggested?
Other than Nate Soldier, who would you have suggested?

Solder was a free agent the previous off-season.

Basically anyone would have outperformed Robinson and Hubbard. Hubbard seemed fine at the time because he was fine in 2018. I can't really fault the front office for that one. Robinson is egregious. There were mountains of evidence showing that Robinson was a bad player and we kept him because he played well in a few games. Maybe the thought was Desmond Harrison would step up (oof)?

It doesn't matter at this point. There are a ton of good tackles and guards available in free agency this year and several good tackles available in the draft. Let's hope we improve those spots.
I believe when one looks at the last half of the 2018 season it would be easy to see why one might come to the conclusion we would be "okay" going into 2019 with both Hubbard and Robinson.

I don't see how addressing the positions with expensive half measures in the FA market whom would be terribly overpaid really addresses either position for the long haul. A person with foresight could see that the draft opportunities this off season would be far more conducive to addressing the OT positions.

Buying in a market where the supply is low and the demand is high is not the way to do business.
j/c...

Quote:

We went into the season with Robinson and Hubbard at tackle not because the tackle position was addressed in free agency, but because it was ignored.

...to me, they look like free agents we overpaid to fill needs. Then we didn't draft linemen because we had them in place and people with similar, perhaps slightly higher, grades at other positions got drafted.
Quote:

...to me, they look like free agents we overpaid to fill needs. Then we didn't draft linemen because we had them in place and people with similar, perhaps slightly higher, grades at other positions got drafted.
They also were getting the job done at the end of the previous year. I bet we felt we could've pushed addressing those spots another offseason.
Actually Robinson's salary ranked 19th in the league for LT's and that was in a contract signed just last year. Many LT's were on older contracts whose salaries would have commanded much more than Robinson's had they have gotten a new contract last year. Robinson was signed on the cheap for one year deal as he should have been.
Actually Robinson's salary ranked 19th in the league for LT's and that was in a contract signed just last year. Many LT's were on older contracts whose salaries would have commanded much more than Robinson's had they have gotten a new contract last year. Robinson was signed on the cheap for one year deal as he should have been.

You're right, Robinson's contract wasn't bad. I'd be fine with a similar contract.

I'd still like to take a good young OT (preferably 2) early in this draft.

I'd rather not make Conklin (temporarily) the highest paid OT in the league.

I doubt Castonzo would take a Greg Robinson deal.

Maybe DJ Humphries, but I doubt it. He'll probably want something multi-year.
I'm certainly all for addressing the OT positions in the draft. I'm just not sure at this time we can address both in a single draft. I'm hoping we can certainly address the LT position in round 1. I'm just thinking that by round 2, and other needs still needing filled, they may plan to go more with BPA in position of need rather than trying to double up on the OT position.

The key here is that the FA signing period comes before the drat. By that time we will see how this new staff plans to work it.
I'm betting we can get a RT in free agency, leaving us to be able to take a LT in the Draft, and probably double-down with a swing tackle in the 3rd or 4th round as a developmental kid.

The more I think about it, the more I now realize that Trent Williams is NOT an option unless he gets released, and then I would only give him a two year contract. I would NOT give up anything more than a 3rd round pick in a trade for him, and it would have to be contingent upon him agreeing to a new deal that extends him to two years.

With the Skins possibly taking a tackle in the draft, he very well may be available the day after the Draft.
May or may not be comforting thought, but we have to replace 3 starters on the line anyway, due to scheme change. Was going to happen with Stefanski coming in, it seems. I would hope that RG will be filled organically with someone that we currently have on the roster taking the position. We should at least be able to successfully address 1 of the tackle spots.
Maybe Forbes will be able top fill a spot. Who knows?
I'm certainly all for addressing the OT positions in the draft. I'm just not sure at this time we can address both in a single draft. I'm hoping we can certainly address the LT position in round 1. I'm just thinking that by round 2, and other needs still needing filled, they may plan to go more with BPA in position of need rather than trying to double up on the OT position.

The key here is that the FA signing period comes before the drat. By that time we will see how this new staff plans to work it.

Most drafts probably couldn't fix both OTs. This one looks like a different animal.

I agree, FA should give us some clues.

Most drafts probably couldn't fix both OTs. This one looks like a different animal.

I agree, FA should give us some clues.

See, going down this path is where I can start to get on board with trading away one of our blue-chip talents for a high draft pick. If there's a top-level guy that we don't think we can use in our new system(s), see what you can get for him in an upcoming tackle-heavy draft (Vernon, OBJ, Njoku, etc).
Quote:
that we don't think we can use in our new system

There really aren't any names that fit that, because - theoretically - we finally have coaches that will tailor things to the talent we have.

Also, someone like OBJ works in ANY system.
Well you know the thought process around here a lot of times. Two in the bush is worth more than a bird in the hand.
Quote:
that we don't think we can use in our new system

There really aren't any names that fit that, because - theoretically - we finally have coaches that will tailor things to the talent we have.

Also, someone like OBJ works in ANY system.

I wouldn't be surprised if the FO decided that we have a glut of receiving options and need more ammo to address deficiencies at OT, TE, FB right now instead of over several offseasons.
That and lots of people are hoping we trade OBJ - for no reason at all.
Outside of our top 2 WR's, where is this glut of receiving options you speak of?

Hunt just got busted with weed and we have one fast TE with inconsistent hands.... Other than that a few second level guys.
To be clear, I'm not one of them. I want to keep all the talent we have and add more. I'm never in favor of letting someone go that can help us to a win.

That said... it's obvious that our Oline needs upgrading, and that was before scheme change. If we become a super run-heavy O, it doesn't make sense to have all these high-priced receivers.

I brought this up before (and would hate it if it happened)... but an example is if Stefanski's offense is patterned after Shanny's, then it would feature the run while periodically taking shots off PA, and keying heavily on one main receiving threat. To me, that sounds like OBJ would get heavy usage while Landry and probably even Njoku won't be utilized much.
Yet the Vikings had duel threats at WR in Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs. Both heavy threats in the passing game. Having WR's that are real threats is in part what helps open up the run game.

And in actuality, The Vikings only had slightly less than four fewer pass attempts per game on average than the Browns did in 2019.

- theoretically -

You know big word.
To be clear, I'm not one of them. I want to keep all the talent we have and add more. I'm never in favor of letting someone go that can help us to a win.

That said... it's obvious that our Oline needs upgrading, and that was before scheme change. If we become a super run-heavy O, it doesn't make sense to have all these high-priced receivers.

I brought this up before (and would hate it if it happened)... but an example is if Stefanski's offense is patterned after Shanny's, then it would feature the run while periodically taking shots off PA, and keying heavily on one main receiving threat. To me, that sounds like OBJ would get heavy usage while Landry and probably even Njoku won't be utilized much.

Demetrius Harris was our most targeted TE with 27 targets.

Minnesota's top 2 TEs had 47 and 49.

They spread around the ball a lot better than we did.
Minn also rarely used the 3rd WR..we need a solid TE more than any WR at this point
we just need Njoku to be healthy and find his hands, again.

Beyond that, I really like Seals-Jones.
we just need Njoku to be healthy and find his hands, again.

Beyond that, I really like Seals-Jones.

How's he going to pick them up once he finds them?

Demetrius Harris was our most targeted TE with 27 targets.

Minnesota's top 2 TEs had 47 and 49.

They spread around the ball a lot better than we did.

Our TE's have, in my opinion, been vastly under-utilized for the past 4 seasons or so...
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32

Our TE's have, in my opinion, been vastly under-utilized for the past 4 seasons or so...

As far as pass catching, it certainly looks that way on paper.

Njoku did get hurt early, Harris had the dropsies and lost Baker's confidence, and RSJ joined the team late. So, it kind of makes sense, though.

I think we overused them as inline blockers. Particularly in the redzone. None of them were very good blockers at the point of attack. I think we should have flexed them out more where they could have tried to wall defenders off instead of drive block.

I'm curious to see how we utilize them this season. Drew Petzing as TE coach makes me wonder if we might use them more as the big receivers they appear to be rather than the extra blockers they apparently are not.
I appreciate your response, Bull... thumbsup
The NFL found a way to make this event even longer.

NFL Draft 2020 is going full-on Las Vegas with red carpet in Bellagio Fountains

By Samantha Previte

January 22, 2020

Clark County Nevada

On Tuesday, Clark County, Nev. unveiled renderings of the league’s epic plans for the 2020 NFL Draft in Las Vegas, and naturally, Sin City is going all out.

The centerpiece of the three-day event, which will take place April 23-25, will be a red carpet stage constructed atop the lake at the fountains of the famous Bellagio Hotel, located on the Las Vegas strip. Draftees and their families will have to be ferried to-and-from the stage for red carpet interviews.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell will announce picks from a separate main stage constructed adjacent to the brand new, $375 million Caesars Forum. The forum will house selection square, where the teams will set up.

The event will disrupt traffic patterns and will result in multiple road closures on and near the famed strip.

As with previous drafts, attendance to the festivities is free and open to the public. Access to designated areas and enhanced experiences are not yet available online.

The draft has evolved into a massive tentpole event for the league, each year aiming to top the last in an extravagance arms race. The 2019 draft in Nashville drew a record-breaking 600,000 people in attendance and 47.9 million viewers according to Nielsen.

The league intends to create an interactive brand activation with this year’s NFL Draft Experience, which will be located next to the main stage. Per a tweet from Clark County, fans will also have the opportunity to participate in various activities, such as autograph sessions with players, testing their 40-yard dash times, viewing the Vince Lombardi Trophy and other special performances.

Peter O’Reilly, NFL’s executive vice president of club business and league events, emphasized their mindfulness in incorporating multiple landmark Vegas institutions during planning.

“Embracing Las Vegas’s unique energy and iconic locations as the backdrop for the 2020 NFL Draft will further elevate this growing event,” said O’Reilly. “We look forward to continuing to work with the Raiders, Las Vegas officials and the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority to create an unforgettable week-long celebration of football for our fans, the incoming prospects and partners and kick off the NFL’s next 100 years.”

The event coincides with the Raiders’ organization relocating from Oakland to Las Vegas this year.

“The Raiders are thrilled to join the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority, the resort corridor, and the local community in welcoming fans to Las Vegas for the 2020 NFL Draft,” Raiders president Marc Badain said in a press release.

It’s going to be a hard act to follow for Cleveland, which will host the 2021 draft.

https://nypost.com/2020/01/22/nfl-draft-...agio-fountains/
Somebody needs to ask Samantha if they will have time for the draft in there. Hope it is swell.

The Draft is getting bigger and longer. I don't want it as a life style. We are watching less of it and enjoying it less. Yea.
j/c...

Todd McShay's Mock Draft 2.0 has the Browns taking:

Josh Jones OT from Univ. Houston

Off the board was:

Isaiah Simmons
Jedrick Wills
Tristan Wirfs

I would have no problem with this.
Josh Jones seems like a pretty good fit. He’s played both tackle positions and is pretty athletic. He was also owning dudes at the Senior Bowl.
No doubt. He dominated the Senior Bowl.

I'm kind of leery about that pick because before the Senior Bowl most reports I saw on him was that while he has the physical tools he needed a lot of work on technique and most draft sites had him listed as a 3rd rnd pick.
j/c...

Off the board was:

Isaiah Simmons
Jedrick Wills
Tristan Wirfs

I'm not sure drafting the fourth best OT on the board with your #10 pick makes a lot of sense if that's the way it plays out.
I'm kind of leery about that pick because before the Senior Bowl most reports I saw on him was that while he has the physical tools he needed a lot of work on technique and most draft sites had him listed as a 3rd rnd pick.

The Senior Bowl is the place that changed people's minds. He showed the technique that people thought he lacked.
j/c...

Off the board was:

Isaiah Simmons
Jedrick Wills
Tristan Wirfs

I'm not sure drafting the fourth best OT on the board with your #10 pick makes a lot of sense if that's the way it plays out.

It seems tackle is among the strongest positions in the draft. If that's the case then it would make sense to draft the fourth best tackle.

(Obviously drafting someone higher than they are graded is a problem.)

I would prefer trading down if there are a few tackles still on the board.
What I've learned from watching drafts for decades is that what "the gurus" tell us before the draft is often not the way that 32 NFL FO's see the draft.

When looking at the LT position, and looking at draft history, the odds of finding four top quality LT's in any draft is a virtual impossibility. Trading down wouldn't change that situation. I believe a serviceable LT may be found at that depth of LT's, but that's not what you're looking for with a top 10 pick.

Trading down may leave yourself at an even bigger disadvantage at the LT position. We're not at the point in our building process to forgo talent over picks.
When looking at the LT position, and looking at draft history, the odds of finding four top quality LT's in any draft is a virtual impossibility.

I don't know what "top quality" means but I think I agree with you.

Trading down wouldn't change that situation. I believe a serviceable LT may be found at that depth of LT's, but that's not what you're looking for with a top 10 pick.

Trading down would definitely change that situation. You wouldn't be "reaching" for a tackle with the tenth pick. You would pick a player more suited for his draft position and have more picks.

We're not at the point in our building process to forgo talent over picks.

This is just a philosophical difference. I would trade down in every draft no matter the talent on my roster (unless I needed a quarterback and I liked the quarterback(s) that are available).

Trading down wouldn't change that situation. I believe a serviceable LT may be found at that depth of LT's, but that's not what you're looking for with a top 10 pick.

Trading down would definitely change that situation. You wouldn't be "reaching" for a tackle with the tenth pick. You would pick a player more suited for his draft position and have more picks.

We agree to that extent. Where the problem comes in is that the further down the draft you pick the player, especially a high demand position, the less the odds of success you have at actually addressing that position.

I think the worst thing we could do is draft the #5 or #6 rated OT and actually have a good chance at addressing the position. That would be a huge loss no matter how you look at it.

Where the problem comes in is that the further down the draft you pick the player, especially a high demand position, the less the odds of success you have at actually addressing that position.

That's how it works with every position. Trading down helps because history shows that if you pick in the top five you have a pretty good chance at getting a quality player (around 77%) but outside of those top five picks it's basically a coin flip:

https://theriotreport.com/scout-camp-2018-about-the-author/

The Senior Bowl is the place that changed people's minds. He showed the technique that people thought he lacked.

So all these people that watched him play and went over his tapes were wrong? Because almost every evaluation I've seen on the guy said he needs a lot of technique work and that he will take some time to develop.

So all these people that watched him play and went over his tapes were wrong? Because almost every evaluation I've seen on the guy said he needs a lot of technique work and that he will take some time to develop.

The Senior Bowl changes things. Guys can skyrocket based on the week of practice.
I agree. That is just reaching for needs. With that first pick sometimes you just need to let the draft come to you and take the best player on the board. If 3 tackles are selected in the first 9 picks, there are going to be some good players on the board. Take one of them.

If we are smart about things, we address needs in free agency. We might not get a superstar, but we should be able to upgrade over what we have. Even if we do that, if one of the top OL players is there at 10, we can draft him if we choose.
That and lots of people are hoping we trade OBJ - for no reason at all.

I am not "hoping" for an OBJ trade but there are certainly reasons why people would want to and I understand their position.

- He has been injured each of the last three/four years.
- His production has decreased significantly in his last three years compared to his first three. (External factors could be a factor as well- Injuries, QB play). But 35 TDs vs 13 TDs is a rather alarming figure even recognizing other factors are at work.
- There are clearly immaturity/diva issues with him

The problem is that trading OBJ now probably means you take a massive hit on the value you gave up to get him. I doubt any team would be willing to give up a high draft pick for someone who played all year with an injury (for consecutive years now), and whose production pales in comparison to his contract.

The best case scenario is a comeback player of the year-type performance in 2020. I expect the Browns to kick the tires on what they would get for moving him, the "due diligence" as they say, but I doubt he is moved.

However, there are #mediaexperts who claim Beckham is pretty much done here in Cleveland from situations that happened in 2019. The thing is, outside of Depo, everyone in leadership positions in coaching and personnel are new.

Perhaps. It depends on whether he's completely oblivious to and unable to use NFL techniques, or if he simply was asked to use different techniques in his college offense.

He seemed to take the NFL coaching at the Senior Bowl well.

Most pro OTs need to improve their technique. Fortunately, technique has a lot more room for growth than natural ability. How are his discipline and work ethic is a question that's answer matters.
I guess if one ignores that Eli was in decline and OBJ was injured all of last season your numbers might hold some significance. But I thought analytics weren't supposed to ignore such important factors?
I'm pretty sure that those stats aren't considering reaching for the fourth or fifth rated player at a position within those top 15 or 20 picks. That's the point at which things go sideways.
I guess if one ignores that Eli was in decline and OBJ was injured all of last season your numbers might hold some significance. But I thought analytics weren't supposed to ignore such important factors?

Speaking of ignoring....

Quote:
External factors could be a factor as well- Injuries, QB play.

I suggest reading an entire post first before responding.
I suggest you don't use the bulk of your post trying create reasons why a player should be traded and then use a "one liner" get out of jail free card to justify it.
I suggest you don't use the bulk of your post trying create reasons why a player should be traded and then use a "one liner" get out of jail free card to justify it.

"Mmmmmm Hmmmmm"

You don't read someone's full post and it's the other person's fault? rofl

I even led with injuries as an concern...

Quote:
- He has been injured each of the last three/four years.

...and then referenced it again.

Excuses, excuses.

You go on with your bad self. You advocate trading him and you don't really care about spelling out things in his favor. When someone does, you whine about it.
Quote:
You advocate trading him

No, I don't.

I literally lead with:
Quote:
I am not "hoping" for an OBJ trade

Did you read anything in the post? You look like a fool. I suggest moving on to another topic.
Oh I read it. Go on....
You didn't read much of anything and your last few hilariously ridiculous comments reflect that.
Mmmmm hmmmmm....

Carry on. I know you will... wink
The NFL draft now require event planners. Nashville kind of blew the lid off of things last year. I am sure Vegas can match that, and enhance.

So for Cleveland, where are they going to have it? Outdoors makes some sense, but you can have snow in mid April.

Cleveland is Rock and Roll. I'd expect to have a all-star cast of rockers just like Nashville brought out the artists that made the Country sound.

I just don't think Cleveland is quite the same. Country stars by the score live in or near Nashville. Nashville is a major music publishing city. Dozens of recording studios, talent agency's.

We got the Rock Hall, but rockers never really migrated to Cleveland. If you were a country artist and wanted a shot, you moved to Nashville.

It is called Music City for a reason. It's all....well, maybe not all anymore, but is about music. Gibson Guitars are made and headquartered there. In the guitar world, Gibson is a strong name.
I think a lot of artists would be drawn to such an event no matter their home base. But I certainly agree that destination places like Vegas are set up much better for such events. As much as some people would like to dismiss Nashville as a tourist destination, the tourist industry here is very vibrant and the city is very adept at accommodating guests and throwing a party.

I don't doubt that Cleveland could pull it off but I agree it would take more work and planning than cities more predisposed at pulling off such large events on a regular basis.
Trust me, I have been going to Nashville for 40-45 years....I know.

The strip on Broadway, right on....Tootsies is my favorite bar anywhere....I mean anywhere, and I have been to a few bars. I love that place, and it is just a Honky Tonk dive bar, but it has history.

If the walls could talk, it would be one heck of a story.
Do whatever it takes to trade up for Burrow. Sick of trying to find the magic bean at QB. Go get a real one and get on with it. Then we'll have done at least one thing right.
Brilliant
© DawgTalkers.net