DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: cfrs15 Fullback - 02/25/20 09:20 PM
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Fullback - 02/25/20 10:55 PM
I would like to see Rashod Berry of Ohio State get invited to camp. I think he could make the conversion to FB.

Scroll down the when you click the link. There are about 6 GIFs as examples of his play.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Fullback - 02/25/20 11:23 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

If only leftfielder T.Tebow weren't in his 30s now.

I might have to look for undersized DEs that like contact.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Fullback - 02/26/20 04:57 PM
Yeah, finding someone who doesn't play FB to play FB sounds like a great idea.
Posted By: FATE Re: Fullback - 02/26/20 05:04 PM
Kyle Juszczyk played TE in college. Isn't he considered the best FB in football?

I'll agree, not always the best approach, but the role of FB in the NFL seems to be evolving.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Fullback - 02/26/20 05:07 PM
Experiments are great if and when they work out. Sometimes they do but I'd say the odds aren't as good as finding someone to play their natural position.
Posted By: FATE Re: Fullback - 02/26/20 05:16 PM
Agree, thus the camp invite. Berry is smart, strong, fast and very athletic. Actually petitioned Ryan Day to play DE when Chase was held out. Worked his butt off all week, studied film, earned the spot and became the first OSU player to play both sides of the ball in eight years.

Exactly the type of player I would invite to camp.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Fullback - 02/26/20 05:28 PM

Kelton Moore.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Fullback - 02/26/20 05:30 PM
j/c:

Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Fullback - 02/26/20 06:40 PM
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Fullback - 02/26/20 06:49 PM
Yes, it's been the proven answer thus far.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Fullback - 02/26/20 06:53 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

The problem is that most colleges don’t use a fullback or they do use a fullback but his athletic profile is not good enough for the NFL.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Fullback - 02/26/20 07:02 PM
You may be able to use a TE that is undersized. Like in the 6' to 6'2' variety. A good blocking TE with good hands. But I don't see the talents needed to become a good FB at any other positions. To be a well rounded FB you have to have the ability to block, run and catch the ball.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Fullback - 02/26/20 11:54 PM

In present-day college football where are the "natural" FBs you're referring to? Honest question because I don't see many.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Fullback - 02/27/20 12:46 AM
You may be able to use a TE that is undersized. Like in the 6' to 6'2' variety. A good blocking TE with good hands. But I don't see the talents needed to become a good FB at any other positions. To be a well rounded FB you have to have the ability to block, run and catch the ball.

All the fullbacks in the league:

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchartpos/FB

Patrick DiMarco - played tight end and fullback in college
Chandler Cox - played fullback and h-back
Trevon Wesco - tight end
Patrick Ricard - defensive linemen
Roosevelt Nix - defensive linemen
Cullen Gillaspia - switched from linebacker to fullback senior season at Texas A&M
Andy Janovich - fullback
Anthony Sherman - fullback
Alex Ingold - linebacker and fullback
Derek Watt - fullback
Jamize Olawale - wide receiver, h-back
Mike Burton - fullback
Nick Bawden - quarterback then fullback
Danny Vitale (who was on our team and is very good) - superback
C.J. Ham - running back
Keith Smith - linebacker
Alex Armah - defensive end
Zach Line - running back
Kyle Juszczyk - tight end
Nick Bellore - linebacker
Posted By: Hammer Re: Fullback - 02/27/20 02:39 PM
Where's James Develin? D-line in college, Fullback for the Pats.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Fullback - 02/27/20 02:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Hammer
Where's James Develin? D-line in college, Fullback for the Pats.

He probably wasn’t listed on the depth charts because he ended the season on IR. Thanks for adding him to the list!
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Fullback - 02/27/20 02:50 PM
Just in terms of physical build, I would look at the LBs for prospects to flip to FB... if that's what we're doing.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Fullback - 02/27/20 04:07 PM
I guess that all depends on what you're looking for in a FB. When looking at guys like Patrick Ricard and Roosevelt Nix, former DE's, they're very one dimensional. They block. Ricard for example had 8 receptions for 47 yards and 0 rushing attempts. Nix had 4 rushes for 4 yards and 12 receptions for 69 yards.

So if you want a very limited contribution for your FB, then yes, you can put anyone in there that can block. If you actually expect any major contribution from your FB, the best path to follow would be someone proficient at the position or a former TE.

I know it seems like a foreign concept to actually put a player in a position where his skill set may line up well but I still promote that idea.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Fullback - 02/27/20 04:12 PM
Here's the thing as far as I'm concerned, though .....

Hunt is an outstanding blocker. He's an outstanding receiver. He's an outstanding runner. I don't understand why we would want to take him off the field and insert a very limited "blocker only FB" type.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Fullback - 02/27/20 04:19 PM
And that's my point. I will say that putting Hunt up against much larger, more physical players on a consistent basis is something I'm not in favor of.

But much like what Peen has always said. Why would you take up a roster spot for a FB who can only block? If we're going to get a FB let's get one who is an actual threat on O. You can put a DE or OL player already on your roster back there from time to time if all you want is a blocker. No need to waste the roster spot for that.
Posted By: Dave Re: Fullback - 02/27/20 04:20 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Here's the thing as far as I'm concerned, though .....

Hunt is an outstanding blocker. He's an outstanding receiver. He's an outstanding runner. I don't understand why we would want to take him off the field and insert a very limited "blocker only FB" type.

I agree with this. Hunt can fill the "FB" role on normal down-and-distance situations. On short yardage or goal line situations - Myles Garrett.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Fullback - 02/27/20 04:33 PM
The point is that there are hardly any fullbacks in college that can play in the NFL. If you want to find a player to play fullback you have to look for them in different ways. Doing so should be considered a strength not a weakness.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Fullback - 02/27/20 04:38 PM
And I made it clear that an undersized TE might be the perfect fit to find a FB that may be considered an actual threat as an offensive weapon at FB. I also gave you stats of how a position like a DE who was converted to FB seemed to have a very limited role. How if all you're really looking for is a bocker you can put a DE or OL player already on the roster in from time to time in order to fill that role without wasting a roster space.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Fullback - 02/27/20 04:41 PM
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Fullback - 02/27/20 05:58 PM
So I guess ignoring everything posted after that makes you feel better?

rofl
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Fullback - 02/28/20 12:32 AM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Just in terms of physical build, I would look at the LBs for prospects to flip to FB... if that's what we're doing.

I have said for a long time, look around at the non-fbs schools for a lighter guard. Find a few in the 250 range with good feet and decent speed. They are out there.

Work them out but also have them swing in to the flats or squat in zones and see if they can catch. Catching is something you learn when you are 6-7
years old. Just because you are big doesn't mean you don't remember how to catch a ball.

No doubt some people don't have good hand eye coordination, but that isn't determined by a persons size. That is just the way it goes. My point is players weren't put on the O or D line back in Pee-Wee football because they couldn't catch. They were put there because they were the bigger kids.

It's not their fault they are bigger humans.

Body size and shape helps determine what position you are going to play from a young age, in all sports expect maybe baseball. Hockey is a bit different. It's about skating.

If you were one of the few young ones who could actually skate backwards without falling over after a few strides, coach made you on defense.

My first 3 hockey coaches, the first drill they ran in youth leagues was to find out who could skate backwards. I could. I was sent to the defensive coach.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Fullback - 02/28/20 04:21 AM
My GOD I just had a flashback of drafting Owen Marecic in the 4th round.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Fullback - 02/29/20 11:43 PM
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
My GOD I just had a flashback of drafting Owen Marecic in the 4th round.

I saw this and looked up Marecic's combine numbers:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/owen-marecic

I don't think I've ever seen a spider graph look like that for any NFL player let alone one drafted in the fourth round.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Fullback - 03/01/20 10:05 AM
Lol it’s just a blob towards height and weight. My uncle’s chart would be similar tongue
Posted By: FrankPitts Re: Fullback - 03/03/20 04:01 AM
Look for a big RB who shows the willingness and ability to block and catch on tape. Guys from smaller school who did not have the elite speed for the big boys.

"Hyper-concious" on finding someone to switch to FB. Please. The only thing this org needs to become "hyper-conscious" of is winning NOW. How bout worrying about not creating more holes than we already have.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Fullback - 03/03/20 10:12 AM
At least Owen had long arms!
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Fullback - 03/03/20 10:17 AM

Glad to see Andy and crew heeding my advice. Look for that 250lb, quick guard who plays at Elon or somewhere like that.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Fullback - 03/03/20 12:48 PM
j/c:

It would probably make more sense just to acquire a FB in FA instead of gambling on a position switch, but that is just my opinion.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Fullback - 03/03/20 05:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

It would probably make more sense just to acquire a FB in FA instead of gambling on a position switch, but that is just my opinion.

There aren't many available. That's the problem. Teams that have a good fullback usually don't let them leave.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/fullback/

The best guy on that list that is available is probably Derek Watt. Many of the other guys are older (Anthony Sherman) or unavailable (C.J. Ham is a restricted free agent).
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Fullback - 03/03/20 06:41 PM
I would take RB Zack Moss and make him a FB (can block) if he was to fall in the Draft, which is likely after posting a 4.65 :40 at the Combine.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Fullback - 03/04/20 12:56 AM
It's been my understanding that a lot of FBs have switched teams over the years.

I don't have a problem w/those who think it's a better idea to take a guy and play him at a position over guys who have proven they can play the position, but I will voice my opinion that I think the latter is a much-safer idea.
Posted By: Browns2020 Re: Fullback - 03/04/20 12:59 AM
What could go wrong LOL
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Fullback - 03/04/20 03:56 AM
I don't know about anyone, but I'm kinda geeked at the idea of Chubb running behind a powerful fullback.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Fullback - 03/04/20 04:15 AM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I don't know about anyone, but I'm kinda geeked at the idea of Chubb running behind a powerful fullback.

I'm curious to see how the running game works out. I'm not sure how powerful the FB will be. Might end up being more about positioning and walling off if wide zone ends up our bread and butter play. Could see Hunt as a pseudo-FB on 1st downs some more. Maybe someone more powerful for short yardage situations. Time will tell.

I wonder if you can legally flex out an extra lineman and have him running like a fly sweep action and go straight into blocking with momentum.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Fullback - 03/04/20 05:17 PM
j/c

I have no idea of the relevance here but I thought it might be helpful to see how the Vikings used their FB in terms of possibly identifying what Stefanski may be looking for at the position. Of course Sefanski wasn't the HC and may have had very little to do with what player was selected to play FB. But hey, what the hell, right? This article was written just before the start of the 2019 season.

Quote:
In Vikings’ new offense the fullback is alive and well

After each game, Vikings fullback C.J. Ham makes a beeline to midfield in search of one person.

“I always make sure I dap up the other fullback if there is one,” Ham said with a smile. “There aren’t too many of us left, so I’m always riding with the other fullbacks in the league.”

A quick search of every NFL roster shows that at least a 1/3 of the teams don’t employ a fullback, and if they do, that player, more often than not, is mostly used as a lead blocker.

Luckily for Ham, that’s not how offensive advisor Gary Kubiak operates. He sees the fullback as a useful weapon, akin to how the San Francisco 49ers use Pro Bowl fullback Kyle Juszczyk.

“It’s very important,” Kubiak said. “It gives us a chance to be flexible.”

In the current scheme, Ham and fellow fullback Khari Blasingame can find themselves lined up in the backfield, on the line of scrimmage or split out wide — sometimes all in the same possession. They are used as lead blockers, ball carriers, pass protector, and pass catchers, very different than how most teams use what is viewed as a dying position.

“Just a lot of opportunity to contribute,” Blasingame said. “That’s why I came here. I felt like it was a good fit.”

While it’s pretty much a guarantee the Vikings will only keep one fullback on the roster, with Ham likely having the advantage based on experience, coach Mike Zimmer has spoken highly of both players.

“They are both athletic former tailback guys that are smart and tough,” Zimmer said. “C.J. is very important because there are a lot of things that he can do. Khari is a very good athlete. Those guys are hard to find.”

This shift under Kubiak and offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski has been a welcome change for Ham, especially considering how his role shrank significantly under former offensive coordinator John DeFilippo last season.

“It really just allows me to play,” Ham said. “I’m more a part of the offense now. You know, obviously blocking is still my main job; it’s just nice to be out there doing some other things, too.

It’s also way easier for Ham to get into a rhythm now that he’s on the field more consistently.

“You get into the flow of the game a little more instead of just coming in a handful of times,” he said. “I’m just happy on on this team to have another opportunity to be great.”

And the fact that Ham has Blasingame to push him only helps.

“I’ve just been trying to help him as much as I can,” Ham said. “We push each other. It helps to have somebody to compete with every day. That brings the best out of me.”

https://www.twincities.com/2019/08/22/ho...-secret-weapon/

Ham is 5'11" and 235#. He had only 7 rushing attempts for 17 yards in 2019 along with 17 receptions for 149 yards and one td.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Fullback - 03/04/20 07:36 PM
Ty, good read (I was looking for such an example from the Vikings).

Mack and Byner where both FBs' or RBs' no matter how they where listed on the depth chart.

We started what should have been a trend there, but we (others) forgot to remember.

The benefits should be obvious in having two guys who can block, run and catch.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Fullback - 03/04/20 07:46 PM
I agree.

I also think that Hunt did a very good job of blocking for Chubb this past year. I would roll w/those two instead of bringing in an experiment to play FB.

I actually thought Freddie did a good job of utilizing those two last year. It's the one thing he got right.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Fullback - 03/04/20 07:59 PM
I agree.

I also think that Hunt did a very good job of blocking for Chubb this past year. I would roll w/those two instead of bringing in an experiment to play FB.

I actually thought Freddie did a good job of utilizing those two last year. It's the one thing he got right.

It keeps the defense off balance.
Hunt I think got better as a lead blocker, but he (and Chubb) still could get better at that aspect.

Even with Hunt for another year, I would still consider Zack Moss to fill that role going forward.

Matt Waldmen's RSP breakdown
(Sorry not experienced at posting YouTube videos)

https://youtu.be/IF6oLITB-h8
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Fullback - 03/04/20 09:10 PM
I still think another body would be nice. A guy who can line up at TE and FB and do at least a mediocre job of blocking at both could find a home on our roster, I think.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Fullback - 03/04/20 09:27 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I still think another body would be nice. A guy who can line up at TE and FB and do at least a mediocre job of blocking at both could find a home on our roster, I think.

I think I'd rather just have OTs that are good at blocking, and to let the TEs we have do what they are good at.

I include tendering RSJ in the guys we have.

I'd like the guys we have to work hard and get better at blocking, but I don't want to just add a mediocre blocker.

Can Njoku get mediocre at blocking and be that guy? Someone who can fake a lead block and slip up the seam?
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Fullback - 03/18/20 12:13 AM
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Fullback - 03/18/20 01:54 AM
Whoa, Stefanski is very serious about a FB in the offense.
Posted By: BpG Re: Fullback - 03/18/20 01:22 PM
I agree.

I think Monken was a Judas.

I also think Freddie was much better when he was the lone voice in the room. Last year you could just see it, he was trying to run an Air Raid Monken offense that was just a mess. Then Freddie would waffle on game plans because the air raid was NOT WORKING. FRom the first game, no one lining up correctly, Baker was the only one who sort of knew where they were lining up, constant time outs. God what a mess.

Just a huge rookie coach mistake and it cost him the job.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Fullback - 03/18/20 03:20 PM
j/c

Ah, so we got a FB to play FB. I'm glad it's this FO doing the signings and not DT members.

wink
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Fullback - 03/19/20 09:33 AM
You are probably talking about me.

I have no problem if the guy can actually add to the O by running and catching as well.

Screw the Lawrence Vickers type. Just play a guard if blocking is all they can do. I have been very consistent in that message.
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Fullback - 03/19/20 09:51 AM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
You are probably talking about me.

I have no problem if the guy can actually add to the O by running and catching as well.

Screw the Lawrence Vickers type. Just play a guard if blocking is all they can do. I have been very consistent in that message.

I take it, you are not a fan of the Vickers' Fullback option pass .. brownie
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Fullback - 03/19/20 04:06 PM
I wasn't actually talking about you in this case. wink

More about others on this thread who kept insisting that there weren't enough FB's in the league to the extent we would have to find someone at another position and convert them to FB.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Fullback - 03/19/20 06:14 PM
More about others on this thread who kept insisting that there weren't enough FB's in the league to the extent we would have to find someone at another position and convert them to FB.

So Andrew Berry?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Fullback - 03/19/20 06:34 PM
Andrew Berry signed a FB. Andrew Berry never said we wouldn't sign a FB. He said to keep an open mind.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Fullback - 03/19/20 06:37 PM
Andrew Berry signed a FB. Andrew Berry never said we wouldn't sign a FB. He said to keep an open mind.

Isn't that what other people in this thread were saying too?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Fullback - 03/19/20 06:44 PM
Well most colleges don't even use a FB, right? Where were these FB's I was talking about?

It seems as if there were people who didn't think actually finding a FB to play FB was very realistic. Then along came Berry.....
Posted By: eotab Re: Fullback - 03/19/20 06:47 PM
our offense had great statistics last year. Chubb great stats. Hunt great stats. 2 1,000 yard WRs. We just didn't have any flow One thing did not lead to another.

FB again folks we are running a version of the Shanahan Offense. Ski is a disciple of Kubiac who was from Mike Shanahan and he was a tutor to Kyle. So FB is a big piece of the pie in this offense. Cooper and Conklin fit into the new system like a glove.

Hunt will still be a vital part of our offense. Cant wait till we get our LT and RG from the draft. Our O will then be set for years!

Kitchens had sentences but did not have a chapter in the book written. Ski looks to have the Novel already written now to put it down on paper...EXECUTION!!!
jmho
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Fullback - 03/20/20 10:21 AM
Well said ... we just couldnt put it all together. I do think a LEGIT TE and FB will help this team. Baker needs those safety valves and is better suited to it rather than a vertical type attack IMO
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Fullback - 03/22/20 03:59 AM
We're probably set at FB now, but Bronson Rechsteiner from Kennesaw State has a fun highlight tape.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Fullback - 03/22/20 08:57 AM
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
We're probably set at FB now, but Bronson Rechsteiner from Kennesaw State has a fun highlight tape.
i love a good FB highlight tape haha
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Fullback - 03/23/20 02:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
Now that's a FB name right there.
© DawgTalkers.net