DawgTalkers.net
Steelers GM Kevin Colbert proposes three more rounds for 2020 NFL Draft, per report

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steel...aft-per-report/
Great idea ... makes sense this year. Tack on another day (Sunday) and lets get it going
I like that proposal.
Thursday - Round 1
Friday - Rounds 2-3
Saturday - Rounds 4-6
Sunday - Rounds 7-10
So because he thinks his job is going to be hard there should be more rounds? How does that make sense?

If anything there should be more rounds because it'll be harder to sign undrafted free agents.
I wonder how the NFLPA would take this, especially from the veteran's stance.

Personally, I think there shouldn't be a change. Yes, the circumstances are different, and yes, certain things like on-site visits cannot happen now. But scouts are preparing almost year-round for this thing. GMs too. The combine was completed. There is enough data and film to make an informed decision.

Funny....if anything, I would think an idea like this would come from a new GM/FO, or even an owner, not a FO that has a significant level of stability.

I say no. Carry on like normal.
This sounds stupid. 7th round is already bottom of the barrel. How would more rounds produce something better?
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
How would more rounds produce something better?

If you had to throw a bullseye on a dart board would you rather have more throws or less throws?
The good ones don’t need more “throws” ... wink ...

Your not a dart guy are u ... *L* ...
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

If you had to throw a bullseye on a dart board would you rather have more throws or less throws?

Thats not a fair comparison. Youre not drafting first round talent in rounds 7+ no matter how many darts you throw.

Thats not a fair comparison. Youre not drafting first round talent in rounds 7+ no matter how many darts you throw.

So you're saying undrafted players never turn into a first round talent equivalent?

The Steelers GM is basically saying that he is not prepared for the draft so he wants more chances to get players because he knows he's going to make mistakes.

So you're saying undrafted players never turn into a first round talent equivalent?

The Steelers GM is basically saying that he is not prepared for the draft so he wants more chances to get players because he knows he's going to make mistakes.

I dont buy it. How would he not be prepared for the draft? They can watch film and have conference calls. They dont live in the stone age.
Quote:
The Steelers GM is basically saying that he is not prepared for the draft

Agreed. I'm good with that.
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Funny....if anything, I would think an idea like this would come from a new GM/FO, or even an owner, not a FO that has a significant level of stability.

Maybe the Steelers are actually over prepared and just want more draft picks. . .
I was surprised that Colbert suggested this, because it has always been my impression that the Steelers were generally thought of as a favorable destination by UDFAs because of their perennial success. Now they'll have to share players they might have signed.
Over prepared would be saying to start the draft next weekend.
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Over prepared would be saying to start the draft next weekend.

Not if you're trying to trick everyone to get more draft picks.
Not in rounds 8-10. You'd want the advantage for the better players, not the ones with the least chance of being a long-term NFL player.
Maybe he's thinking he can trade 8-9-10 to Bill O'Brien for a 4th or 5th.
Originally Posted By: Dave
Maybe he's thinking he can trade 8-9-10 to Bill O'Brien for a 4th or 5th.

Oh no. Someone call Andrew Berry now and tell him to get BOB on the phone!
Our 8-9-10 is better than the Steelers', plus we can offer to throw in next years 8-9-10.
So what round was Brian Sipe drafted in..lol
Brian was taken in the 13th round, pick #330 in the 1972 draft.
Steelers have what, like four draft picks this year? And no first rounder. And he's not prepared?

I think someone just wants more picks.
So because he thinks his job is going to be hard there should be more rounds? How does that make sense?

If anything there should be more rounds because it'll be harder to sign undrafted free agents.

Good point.

That's why I like it too.

Nothing could be finer than Earnest Byner from East Carolineer (in the 10th round) in the mooorning. thumbsup

Scouted him myself wink
You can sign all of the UDFA's you like. There's no reason to extend the draft.
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
You can sign all of the UDFA's you like. There's no reason to extend the draft.

Yes, but pre Draft visits are as much about prime UDFA as they are the Draft.
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg

Nothing could be finer
than Earnest Byner
from East Carolineer (in the 10th round)
in the mooorning. thumbsup

Scouted him myself wink

I thought it should have poetic sentence structure, broke ‘rm up. wink.

I’m cool with a couple more rounds,
although, it would make mock drafts
even more laborious
and more boring us.
Don't quit your day job.
What job?
All this would do is allow for 3 rounds of UDFA to be drafted instead. No big deal.
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg

Nothing could be finer
than Earnest Byner
from East Caroline'er (in the 10th round)
in the mooorning. thumbsup

Scouted him myself wink

I thought it should have poetic sentence structure, broke ‘rm up. wink.

I’m cool with a couple more rounds,
although, it would make mock drafts
even more laborious
and more boring us.

Funny you should mention that ... the thought did cross my mind thumbsup

Better? smile
I'm ok with whatever makes life more difficult for *ittsburgh
Yes, I made it look...... better!

Did you really scout Byner?
This sounds stupid. 7th round is already bottom of the barrel. How would more rounds produce something better?

Welcome Mr. Irrelevant IV.
Yes, I made it look...... better!

Did you really scout Byner?

It actually was a stepping off to what I thought I could make a career of after making some connections later in Florida with APS service's, but it never came to full fruition ... it wasn't for the lack of love either, but rather a lack of funds and support system that determained my path.

I was courting a student from East Carolina in those days and took in most home games then. Byner just stood out as a RB with great vision and big soft hands as a receiver ... as we all know now.

Anyway it was a happy smile day when we Drafted him.
j/c:

I think some of our younger folks don't remember when the draft was 17 rounds.
17??
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_NFL_Draft

Btw---------I think there were up to 30 rounds in an NFL draft. Not sure about that, though.

What I am saying is that adding rounds to this year's draft is not as gimmicky or breaking w/tradition as some youngster's think it is.
I think it is an interesting idea with little real value.

No need to change things... just roll as-is.
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Thursday - Round 1
Friday - Rounds 2-3
Saturday - Rounds 4-6
Sunday - Rounds 7-10

Since we're not have the huge hoopla this year, does it make sense to have an entire night for round 1?
It never actually made sense, but they do it anyway.
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Thursday - Round 1
Friday - Rounds 2-3
Saturday - Rounds 4-6
Sunday - Rounds 7-10

Since we're not have the huge hoopla this year, does it make sense to have an entire night for round 1?

My guess is that more people watch the draft this year than ever before. If that’s the case it makes even more sense to spread it out.
Thursday - Round 1
Friday - Rounds 2-3
Saturday - Rounds 4-6
Sunday - Rounds 7-10

My guess is that more people watch the draft this year than ever before. If that’s the case it makes even more sense to spread it out.

I agree. Folks are going to be "sports starved." The TV viewership will break records. Extend the damn draft. Give folks something to watch and give teams more picks. Nothing to lose in that venture.
UDFA signings this year will be more difficult IMHO. This is the only reason I can see to justify 3 extra rounds.
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

I think some of our younger folks don't remember when the draft was 17 rounds.

Yeah ... lol and we had to wait for the morning paper to read about them.
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
UDFA signings this year will be more difficult IMHO. This is the only reason I can see to justify 3 extra rounds.
Exactly. It actually makes a lot of sense to extend the draft. Heck, make it a 2 week extravaganza. Spread it out to give us something lol
To close to the draft to propose that. What if the Steeler program prepares them to go deeper in the draft to help them with UDFA prospects. They of course propose this to the NFL cause they will take advantage of other teams as they are prepared for it but other teams are not.

How bout another 5 rounds at the end of May and don't have any UDFA signings - I think in June they will be able to practice together outdoors again.
Thursday - Round 1
Friday - Rounds 2-3
Saturday - Rounds 4-6
Sunday - Rounds 7-10

I agree. Folks are going to be "sports starved." The TV viewership will break records. Extend the damn draft. Give folks something to watch and give teams more picks. Nothing to lose in that venture.

On a strictly personal level, my interest in sports has gone down the crapper since the pandemic hit home. I'm anything but sports starved. In past years, we'd have the NHL/NBA playoffs and the peak of the NFL draft hype right now. Just not feeling any excitement this year, nor am I horribly missing it. It really hit home for me when they just abruptly cancelled the NCAA league tournaments and the NHL season. It was a shocker, but it really made me realize just how unimportant sports are in the big picture of humanity. Hopefully when this all blows over, the Browns, Buckeyes and Red Wings will be good and I'll be into it again, but right now I can't see watching 4 consecutive nights of the NFL draft for a season that may not even occur.
Agreed. I've never watched the draft anyway.

On a sidenote, I used to think by subscription to SI was important. Weekly. Then they went to bi-weekly, and I was disappointed, but they said each issue would be bigger. Course, the cost didn't go down. And the issues weren't bigger, they just had thicker pages.

And then, a year ago? Nah, probably 6 months ago or so, I find out SI was going to only a monthly publication, but promised even MORE content. Yeah, right. The 'more content' didn't happen, the bigger issue didn't happen. And the price went up.

Guess what? I won't renew. Amazingly, due to SI, this magazine that I used to feel I needed, due to them and shortchanging, I've realized I don't need it. Or want it. They are losing a 25 + year subscriber.
I don’t think they’ve officially cancelled the NHL season, jfan.
I don’t think they’ve officially cancelled the NHL season, jfan.

Wow, you're right, they haven't.
Originally Posted By: eotab
To close to the draft to propose that. What if the Steeler program prepares them to go deeper in the draft to help them with UDFA prospects. They of course propose this to the NFL cause they will take advantage of other teams as they are prepared for it but other teams are not.

How bout another 5 rounds at the end of May and don't have any UDFA signings - I think in June they will be able to practice together outdoors again.

I think all teams would be prepared, even though it won't happen. They all have lists of the guys they want to sign as UDFA.

If 3 rounds were added, I think most teams could construct a board with the next 100 players in fairly short order. The draft is still 2 weeks away.

They mark players as undraftable, but we probably have grades on 350-400 players. Maybe more. Obviously some have been given priority status because as soon as the draft is over, teams start announcing the signing of this guy and that guy with-in hours of the drafts conclusion.

Teams tell bubble players that they like them but may not be able to draft them depending how the draft pans out, but stay close to the phone, we will be giving you a call if we don't and you don't get drafted. Those players and their agents know who might be calling. Then the agent can try to swing the best deal for his or her client.
Hopefully when this all blows over, the Browns, Buckeyes and Red Wings will be good and I'll be into it again, but right now I can't see watching 4 consecutive nights of the NFL draft for a season that may not even occur.

The *ed *ings?? I've met you and like you.. but now I need to re-evaluate you.

Hmmph.
If a team's big board couldn't extend 96 places deeper, than they are dumb-asses.
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg
Hopefully when this all blows over, the Browns, Buckeyes and Red Wings will be good and I'll be into it again, but right now I can't see watching 4 consecutive nights of the NFL draft for a season that may not even occur.

The *ed *ings?? I've met you and like you.. but now I need to re-evaluate you.

Hmmph.

Hey, I've been a fan since they were the dead wings. Unfortunately, they're back to playing some pretty bad hockey. Hopefully Yzerman will bring them back in a hurry.
yeah I know that Peen and agree all will be prepared cause we go into the UDFA mode.

Just basically displaying my dislike of the Steelers and the preferential treatment that they get so that anything like this would be done with Sneaky intentions...lol laugh
If a team's big board couldn't extend 96 places deeper, than they are dumb-asses.

Rounds 8-9-10....surely you mean 'dart board'.
© DawgTalkers.net