DawgTalkers.net
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/grant-delpit?id=32194445-4c67-8942-a373-bb1e9a2b7718
How'd you find out before they announced it?
Athletic .. I’d have rather had Winfield (who went right after) because I’ve read his tackling isnt great

But he’s played good competition
What position does he play?
Originally Posted By: myka

Twitter.com
Originally Posted By: EveDawg

Safety
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Twitter.com

Ah cool.

Great pick. We def needed a safety and he's one of the best rated in college this year.
Originally Posted By: EveDawg

FS
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Twitter.com

Ah cool.

Great pick. We def needed a safety and he's one of the best rated in college this year.

Also on chat sports
2 Great Picks so far smile
Denver doubles down on WR.
Pretty excited about the first two picks so far.
Scouts say Delpit is special in coverage as a true free safety.
I do like picking guys from top tier programs
Would have preferred Winfield Jr, but hey, this kid doesn't look bad either. We got our two best positions of need.

Also found it kind of funny that the Giants got first pick of Tackle and Saftey. The Browns got the next choice of Tackle and Safety, and then the Buccs got the leftovers for both spots. Will be interesting to see who made out the best.
overall I like the pick... don't know a ton about him but huge need and he has seen great competition... anyone have better reports on this guy?
I just worry about when I hear: Has struggled to tackle
Solid pick and a real area of need.
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Would have preferred Winfield Jr, but hey, this kid doesn't look bad either. We got our two best positions of need.

Also found it kind of funny that the Giants got first pick of Tackle and Saftey. The Browns got the next choice of Tackle and Safety, and then the Buccs got the leftovers for both spots. Will be interesting to see who made out the best.

I'm going to guess Xavier McKinney was the preferred choice but once he went off the board, they figured a few other safeties were ranked around the same. So, move back a few spots, pick up a late rounder, and then go with the best available FS.

And obviously, since no S was drafted from 41-43, they took their highest ranked safety.
From the film, I liked Delpit a lot more than McKinney... really happy with the pick.
Here is what PFF said about him. I posted this earlier on the FS thread.

Quote:
Even after a rough junior season, LSU safety Grant Delpit is a good analytical prospect

By Eric Eager
Mar 24, 2020

[Editor's Note: PFF's new college-to-pro projection system is powered by AWS machine learning capabilities.]

After a sophomore season in which he earned an 84.4 overall grade in 847 snaps, Delpit regressed a bit his junior year to 68.7, missing 20 tackles and allowing 14 of 22 passes into his coverage to be completed. Injuries were a big reason for this decline, as an undisclosed preseason injury lingered throughout the season.

Using our college-to-pro system, we will look at Delpit’s projected performance during his rookie contract. This projection uses his play-by-play data from college, adjusts it for play- and opponent-level context and weighs more-recent data more than past data.

How Delpit Projects as a Coverage Player

Coverage is the most important thing a safety does, and Delpit projects well there. Only Geno Stone of Iowa projects to have a bigger “playmaker rate” — rate of passes broken up and interceptions per primary coverage snap — than Delpit does in the context-free environment:

Grant Delpit’s projected completion percentage allowed and playmaker rate during the first five years of his NFL career in the context-free environment.

No safety plays in a context-free environment, though, as some guys are predominantly slot guys, some play deep and others play in the box. Delpit split time almost equally a season ago between deep safety (385 snaps) and slot cornerback (316). If we give him said split as a coverage player, his projections get even better (and more narrow, since the uncertainty of “what will he do?” largely goes away):

Grant Delpit’s projected completion percentage allowed and playmaker rate during the first five years of his NFL career in an environment where 20 percent of his coverage snaps are in the box, 40 percent are in the slot and 40 percent are deep. Median rates for free safeties in the NFL are represented by the dotted lines.

Of course, Delpit’s role will be largely determined by who drafts him, and George Chahrouri and I went with Tampa Bay in Round 1 in our mock draft. If Delpit were deployed more like Jamal Adams was in Todd Bowles’ scheme in New York in 2018, which was more of a 55% box, 15% slot, 30% deep split, his projected coverage data takes a little bit of a hit, but still lands him as one of the most efficient playmakers in his class:

Grant Delpit’s projected completion percentage allowed and playmaker rate during the first five years of his NFL career in an environment where 55 percent of his coverage snaps are in the box, 15 percent are in the slot and 30 percent are deep.

Delpit's projections in coverage come with some impressive statistical comps: Earl Thomas, Tony Jefferson, Ricardo Allen, Montae Nicholson and Tavon Wilson.

How Delpit Projects as a Pass Rusher

Over the past two seasons, Delpit has been a good pass rusher, taking part in six sacks and generating 18 total pressures. He was better in 2018 than 2019, but the talent to do some damage in that area of the game is there.

Grant Delpit’s projected pressure and sack rate during the first five years of his NFL career in the context-free environment.

While this pressure rate is not as high as some of his contemporaries (Kyle Dugger, Antoine Winfield Jr., Xavier McKinney), it increases with different usages and is certainly passable at the position.

How Delpit Projects as a Run Defender

Run defense is one of those things that teams probably overvalue in safeties, but it exemplifies traits that are important to have in the passing game as well (being able to make tackles short of the line the gain). In this regard, Delpit is one of the best in his class in terms of stop rate (rate of tackles that elicit an unsuccessful play by the offense) and positively graded play rate in the run game:

Grant Delpit’s projected stop and positively graded play rate in the running game during the first five years of his NFL career in an environment where he plays 20 percent of his snaps in the box, 40 percent in the slot and 40 percent deep.

Despite some regression during his junior year, Delpit is a great pro prospect at an important position. Due to recency bias, we’ve seen his stock decline over the past year, meaning that whoever selects him come April will get a value — especially for a ready-made defense in need of a playmaker.
A very good pick in a position of need. A true FS, exactly what we needed. Mel Kiper said he struggled a bit this past season because of a high ankle sprain but still played well.
Would have picked Winfield.
Delpit had a high ankle sprain for good portion of the 2019 season which may have led to this notion of poor tackler. 2018 was a much better year for him.
These are two very solid picks of guys we can plug to start in areas of need. You can quibble, but they are good picks.
Thanks for read, he might have been saving himself for NFL.....but he's ours now....LOVE the pick...best college program for last few years....GO Browns!!!!
Thoughts Vers? You like the pick?
Love the pick...S was a huge need.
Love this pick. Thom Darden.

Go Browns!
Safety was surely a huge need for us

Berry drop to 44 from 41 and got a fifth.

Then got Delpit. He had a high ankle sprain in 2019. His 2018 season projected him as a first rounder.

Sounds good.
I bet we had Delpit and Winfield pretty close
Originally Posted By: KashDawg

It's okay. Kinda hard to talk on here because each year we read how great every pick is.

Not sure he is as great as folks are saying, but I don't dislike the pick. I would say it seems to be a decent pick.
Wow!!! That video was simply awesome! That is the type of highlights you usually watch for 1st round picks.
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Originally Posted By: KashDawg

It's okay. Kinda hard to talk on here because each year we read how great every pick is.

Not sure he is as great as folks are saying, but I don't dislike the pick. I would say it seems to be a decent pick.

Thats fair..I guess. I'm not like the others bro. I evaluate based on possibility. You are one of my favorite evaluators of players so just value your opinion.

It takes 3 years to really gauge how well the pick actually was, but I like to have hope lol.
Originally Posted By: Day of the Dawg
Wow!!! That video was simply awesome! That is the type of highlights you usually watch for 1st round picks.

If Delpit left after last season he probably would have been a first round pick.
I know you're not. But, others get mad if you don't drool over a guy.

I do think it is a solid pick. No complaints. I just don't think he is as dominant as some are proclaiming.
We have picked 2 1st rounders Period!!!
Actually, I think we have picked one first round pick and one second round pick. Anything else is an opinion most likely based on homerism or the opposite.
Today is the day all Browns fans pray, and we can forgive Pastor Marc for some enthusiasm from the pulpit.
Actually, I think we have picked one first round pick and one second round pick. Anything else is an opinion most likely based on homerism or the opposite.

No thats your opinion, Most "experts" opinions is Delpit was a first rounder!!!!
Lol, glad you’re keeping things real. It was a position we needed to upgrade, so that’s good. We’ll see in a couple of years how he develops.
No doubt.
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

No thats your opinion, Most "experts" opinions is Delpit was a first rounder!!!!

No, it is NOT my opinion. Wills was drafted in round 1 and Delpit was drafted in round 2. Those are facts.

Zac Jackson
@AkronJackson
·
12m
Delpit: "I'm so tired of hearing that I can't tackle, I might tackle you for asking that question."

Said the high ankle made him a different player but he refused to sit out.

No, it is NOT my opinion. Wills was drafted in round 1 and Delpit was drafted in round 2. Those are facts.

I thought you leaving!!!
He leaving the other thread.
What? I left the Draft Day thread because cfrs was being a blank.

I'm stating facts here. You are stating opinions as facts and then getting upset if you are corrected by actual facts.
J/C

In spite of my concerns about defending the run I like this pick for the Browns. He among the best prospects available at his position. I think he has better than average upside.

The draft seems to be unfolding in a way that we might still get a good IDL in round 3.
What? I left the Draft Day thread because cfrs was being a blank.

I'm stating facts here. You are stating opinions as facts and then getting upset if you are corrected by actual facts.

Come on man you know what I was saying you just like stirring the pot ... Let me say it this way Both Wills and Delpit were projected to be first round picks I hate being politically correct but thats what some want I guess ...
I have to agree w/you. I hate the blind optimism and homerism where people overrate each and every pick we make. I also detest when each pick is trashed. I don't believe in extremes.

But yeah...........I like our two picks. Berry is doing a nice job thus far.
Is this in any way a productive use of time? Geesh. Enough already.
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Is this in any way a productive use of time? Geesh. Enough already.

I should probably stop wasting time following the draft tongue
I'm very happy. Delpit was one of three remaining players I wanted at that spot. They've gotten two players with 1st round talent so far. Very nicely done.
Originally Posted By: Lemmys_Wart
I'm very happy. Delpit was one of three remaining players I wanted at that spot. They gotten two players with 1st round talent so far. Very nicely done.

Be Careful Vers won't like that your giving your opinion according to him superconfused
Welcome aboard, matey. Might as well win us some games. Here's to our hopes for a great career!

Unleash The Elf!
Originally Posted By: Hammer
Delpit had a high ankle sprain for good portion of the 2019 season which may have led to this notion of poor tackler. 2018 was a much better year for him.

Quoted for emphasis.
Maybe I am slipping but we have now drafted my 3rd and 16th ranked player. The only knock is he isn't great at tackle in the open but he is willing and I can live with that. Might be the first draft where I got exactly what I wanted with our first 2.

I did not expect this draft from Berry.
Mourg...........the guy is a play maker. I think the tackling thing is that he takes some bad angles. That is a bit dangerous for a FS. We saw first-hand how much it hurt us when Peppers played FS for us. Bad angles from the FS position lead to long TD runs and or short passes that go for long gains.

I need to see more, but taking bad angles is a concern.
Getting into that trade up range ...
Was the bad angle thing only last year when he was hurt or over his whole college career?

Then why didn't he go in the first round? Why didn't he go at the top of the 2nd where people often move up to get the "first-round talent" that dropped? We moved back and still got him. I'm not knocking the pick, I'm just saying he's a 2nd round pick. He may stud out. 2nd round picks often do. But making him out to be the best ever blah blah woof woof is homerism. Not reality. I hope he does stud out. Doesn't make him a first round pick.
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77

Then why didn't he go in the first round? Why didn't he go at the top of the 2nd where people often move up to get the "first-round talent" that dropped? We moved back and still got him. I'm not knocking the pick, I'm just saying he's a 2nd round pick. He may stud out. 2nd round picks often do. But making him out to be the best ever blah blah woof woof is homerism. Not reality. I hope he does stud out. Doesn't make him a first round pick.

He was PROJECTED TO BE A FIRST ROUNDER superconfused
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Was the bad angle thing only last year when he was hurt or over his whole college career?

Not really sure, Rish. I only watched 2019 tape. But, I think that was a good question. I won't make something up. I really don't know the answer.
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77

There might be 44 guys with 1st round grades, but only 32 actual spots in the 1st round. But if any of those "extra" 12 guys were taken in the 1st, nobody would bat an eye. They're interchangeable. It's not like there are strictly only 32 guys with 1st round grades every year. Also, bad picks and/or positional need picks (reaches) which bump true 1st round talent to the 2nd happen all the time.
https://clutchpoints.com/top-5-safeties-in-the-2020-nfl-draft/

Pretty good article about who they felt were the top 5 safeties in the draft. Grant Delpit was there #1 safety. They pulled no punches and spoke harshly about his tackling issues. But predicted he would go anywhere from pick number 20 to 2nd round.

His coverage skills are said to be special. That is what you want from a free safety.
At the start of the 2019 season, he was projected by several sites to be a top 10 pick. Then he played the 1st 2/3 of the season with a high ankle sprain and clearly was not the same player.

Look at highlights from the college football playoffs. You get to see him against 2 really good teams and he was much healthier for those games.
Great pick given the value. Able to trade down, obtain an extra 5th and still get their.

Should be able to cover and shutdown TEs/big WRs. Put him on Mark Andrews and Chase Claypool.

Hopefully, improves tackling against the run.

So far so good in the draft.
j/c:

I see Ashton Davis was just picked. I really liked this kid. I think he is going to be a great FS and a dynamic returner. The question on him is health. But, don't underestimate this kid. I made a post about him on the FS thread. I think it's the 4th post in.
Yo Kash.............see what I mean? LOL
Safety pinned: Browns select LSU's Delpit in second round

The Associated Press
TOM WITHERS (AP Sports Writer)
The Associated Press Apr 24, 2020, 9:36 PM

CLEVELAND (AP) -- The Browns added a national champion - and world-class trash talker - to their secondary.

Desperate for a safety, Cleveland made a trade in the second round before selecting LSU's Grant Delpit with the No. 44 overall pick in the NFL draft Friday night.

Delpit won the Jim Thorpe Award as college football's best defensive back last season, when he helped lead the Tigers to the NCAA title. He will be reunited in Cleveland with former LSU teammate Greedy Williams, a cornerback taken by the Browns in the second round last year.

Not lacking confidence, Delpit has already proclaimed that with him and Williams, cornerback Denzel Ward and safety Karl Joseph, the Browns will have the best secondary in the NFL. Asked to clarify if he meant one of the best, or the best, Delpit didn't back down.

''The best,'' he said on a Zoom call. ''Headline, all caps.''

The Browns needed to add a safety after choosing not to re-sign Damarious Randall after the season. They added Joseph as a free agent last month.

Browns general manager Andrew Berry made his first trade of his first draft in charge of picking players before selecting the 6-foot-2, 213-pound Delpit. Berry exchanged second-round picks with the Indianapolis Colts for a fifth-round pick (No. 160) and their choice at 44, which he used on Delpit.

''We really viewed him as a big, versatile playmaker,'' Berry said. ''Our appeal to Grant is his coverage ability. He'a a guy who can play the post. He can play near the line of scrimmage. He can cover tight ends, walk over a slot and hold his own against receivers and he's been a consistent producer throughout his career.''

Berry said Delpit, who grew up in New Orleans as a Saints fan, played most of last season with a ''high ankle sprain that would have put a lot of players out of commission for a longer period of time.''

Delpit said his injury made it difficult for him to even walk on the day after games. It also led to questions from NFL personnel about whether or not he's a good tackler, a knock Delpit finds offensive.

''I'm so tired of hearing that I can't tackle, I might tackle you for asking that question,'' Delpit said with a laugh. ''I got something to prove. I'm so excited to get back on the field, you don't even know.''

Berry added that everyone the Browns spoke to at LSU raved about Delpit's football intellect and that the 21-year-old was one of the most impressive players they interviewed at the combine.

''In his particular interview session, our focus really was on football context, checks, adjustments, a mini-install with our system and a review of some of the things that he did at LSU,'' he said. ''He really excelled in that setting. Just really bright, really sharp and can process very quickly so that was one of the more impressive things about him for us.''

The draft couldn't have started much better on Thursday for the Browns, who stuck to their plan by addressing their biggest need and selecting Alabama tackle Jedrick Wills with the 10th overall pick.

Wills starred at right tackle for the Crimson Tride, but the Browns intend to switch him to the left side to serve as a protector for quarterback Baker Mayfield and to open up holes for Pro Bowl running back Nick Chubb.

Chief strategy officer Paul DePodesta said Wills was the top-rated tackle on Cleveland's board.

The Browns entered Day 2 of this virtual draft with three picks: No. 41, No. 74 and No. 97, the last acquired from Houston last year for running back Duke Johnson.

https://sports.yahoo.com/safety-pinned-browns-select-lsus-delpit-second-round-004940906--nfl.html
Quote:
Desperate for a safety, Cleveland made a trade in the second round before selecting LSU's Grant Delpit with the No. 44 overall pick in the NFL draft Friday night.

LOL................this dude should write for a politician.
LOL................this dude should write for a politician.

This right here is the age of the internet.

Get your content out as fast as you can
You might see Wood use him as a nickel for the Browns , cover the slot and not a true Safety .. He was not my choice at Safety either .
Dude is pretty versatile. I actually like the pick. I think things just got twisted on this thread.

I do have a question that is a repeat question from Rish.

Did anyone watch Delpit a lot in 2018? All the reports say he was way better in that year. Did anyone notice his angles during the 2018 season? I'm asking the football guys, not the homers.
I like the pick.

I see another LSU Tiger drafted with the Center pick.

Hard to argue against just drafting players from the SEC.
Looked like he still overpursued some, but he recovered better and got away with it more often on a healthy ankle from my limited 2018 viewing.
I have ( and always will ) like big hitters at Safety .. I want receivers to feel the pain trying to play in MY backfield .. No doubt he had a super 2018 .. As always time will tell.. liked Davis and Chinn ..
Thank you.
Dude is pretty versatile. I actually like the pick. I think things just got twisted on this thread.

Did anyone watch Delpit a lot in 2018? All the reports say he was way better in that year. Did anyone notice his angles during the 2018 season? I'm asking the football guys, not the homers.

I didn't watch him in 2018, but he was definitely a different player (in a good way) late in the 2019 season as compared to the beginning and middle
I don’t know Delpit and Im not going through this whole thread but it always worries me when I hear about a defender that has trouble tackling. That’s basic and fundamental. It’s like drafting a receiver who has iffy hands or an inaccurate QB.... why? There’s certain things that are very hard to teach if they don’t have it by the time they get to this level. The same knock on Redwine last year and I think that was an issue. I hope he learns to tackle or we learn the knock is unwarranted.
It was Greedy who was reputed to be a poor tackler, and that turned out to be mostly false.

I did. Watch SEC football all the time. Best Conference BY FAR.

Delpit is a STUD. In 2018 he played outstanding. He jumps through the TV all the time. Massive closing speed quickness. This Kat is all over the field weekly. There is ZERO ISSUE with his tackling.

The high ankle sprain happened early 2019. I saw it right away. Thought to myself, Pit isn't showing that awesome explosion today. Sure as hell, it then gets reported he's fighting a high sprain.

He still looked awesome even playing through it. That's the type of injury that would put most guys down for extended periods. Just ask Myles Garrett.

This kid will make you forget about Randall.
Agreed. Delpit didn't forget how to play and tackle from 2018 to 2019. Whatever issues there were in "19 was because of the injury. Very good player and pick for us.
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Agreed. Delpit didn't forget how to play and tackle from 2018 to 2019. Whatever issues there were in "19 was because of the injury. Very good player and pick for us.

Let's say hypothetically, worst case scenario that the guy can't tackle all that well. It's not like the only time in your life you can ever learn to tackle properly is Pop Warner. All you need is the willingness to learn and a coach who emphasizes it.
While the injury wasn't great for much of his tape last year, it might be a boon long-term. He had to improve his diagnostic skills and play under more control to compensate for his hindered athleticism.

He had some nice tackles in the NCG including a FF. Seems to be a good communicator, which I think was lacking for us a lot towards the end of last year especially.

Hopefully we get to see how it all comes together once he's back fully healthy.
Originally Posted By: kwhip

I did. Watch SEC football all the time. Best Conference BY FAR.

Delpit is a STUD. In 2018 he played outstanding. He jumps through the TV all the time. Massive closing speed quickness. This Kat is all over the field weekly. There is ZERO ISSUE with his tackling.

The high ankle sprain happened early 2019. I saw it right away. Thought to myself, Pit isn't showing that awesome explosion today. Sure as hell, it then gets reported he's fighting a high sprain.

He still looked awesome even playing through it. That's the type of injury that would put most guys down for extended periods. Just ask Myles Garrett.

This kid will make you forget about Randall.

Most encouraging read for me yet. Thanks!
Agreed. Sounds like he has a good attitude, already saying we will have the best secondary in the league. Also, he'll be going against 2 LSU alumni when he practices along with 2 others in Phillips and Williams. I don't think JL and OBJ will let them slack off. They'll be practicing against 2 really good WR's every day not to mention a good TE and RB's.
Grant Delpit says he’s excited to pick off Joe Burrow 2 or 3 times a year
Cleveland’s 2nd round pick says Browns will have the best secondary in NFL

https://923thefan.radio.com/articles/grant-delpit-excited-to-face-joe-burrow

CLEVELAND, Ohio (92.3 The Fan) – Grant Delpit and Joe Burrow stood together on the podium at the Superdome in January and held up the national championship trophy.

Now the two former LSU stars are rivals – not only in the AFC North but the state of Ohio.

Burrow went to the Bengals No. 1 overall and Friday night the Browns selected Delpit 44th overall in the second round following a trade from 41 with the Colts.

“I’m very excited to pick Joe off twice a year, three times a year, however many times we meet,” Delpit said jokingly when asked about the prospect of facing his former college teammate.

Delpit’s talent is easy to see, his big personality too.

When asked about tackling problems last year for the Tigers, Delpit playfully responded, “I'm so tired of hearing I can't tackle, I might tackle you for asking that question.”

The two-time All-American played through a high ankle sprain last season, refusing to sit out.

That toughness caught the Browns’ eye.

“It was tough,” Delpit said. “On Sunday mornings, I could barely walk, but I wanted to be there for my team. I think that me being hurt was something that I wasn’t worried about. I came to LSU with my dream. I was not going to let a sprained ankle keep me from off the field when we were trying to win a National Championship. I wanted to show all my brothers that I wasn’t selfish, and it worked out.”

No doubt Delpit is tough. He does not lack confidence either.

Delpit did not hesitate when asked about the potential of Cleveland’s secondary that now includes him, Denzel Ward and his former LSU teammate Greedy Williams.

“Without a doubt, top dogs in the NFL,” Delpit said. “We are coming in with that swagger, with that mentality and really a dog mentality – pun intended. I think that we are going to have the best secondary in the NFL with Greedy, Denzel. I am coming in with that mentality and win as a team and defense.”

When given an opportunity to clarify his comment about having the best secondary in the league, Delpit doubled down.

“The best,” Delpit said. “You can headline it, all caps.”
His name and personality lend to the perfect nickname ..... De Pitbull
I think LSU folks called him “Pit” ... correct?
Might be.
Thought they called him Little Jamal (Adams)
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
Thought they called him Little Jamal (Adams)
yeah i heard that too

Matt Waldman’s RSP Boiler Room No.240 S Grant Delpit (LSU): Steps Ahead
by MATT WALDMANSEPTEMBER 3, 2019

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2019/09/03/ma...su-steps-ahead/

Matt Waldman’s RSP Boiler Room examines LSU safety Grant Delpit, one of the best prospects Waldman has watched in 2019 because of his ability to execute steps ahead of his competition.

Grant Delpit is one of the most intuitive players I’ve seen in a while. In the middle of executing a good decision, the LSU safety makes split-second adjustments that transform his choices into excellent outcomes.

These moments are happening at a speed that a player cannot think about—many of them can’t be practiced. These are flashes of intuition that come from piecing together disparate athletic, intellectual, and technical skills into exact solutions needed for a given moment.

I could probably do a four-hour film room on Delpit with the supply of impressive plays I’ve seen from him as a pass rusher, run defender, and executor of man and zone coverage. There will be plenty of people who will take the time to give you that kind of tour of Delpit’s game.

Instead, I’d rather show you three plays that reveal the invisible thread that elevates Delpit’s game to elite prospect status. The first is pass-breakup. The second is a quarterback sack. And the third is an assisted tackle to stop a fake field goal.

All three plays illustrate how Delpit consistently thinks a step ahead of the action happening to him, crafting and executing solutions before that action is even complete. In the way that photographers in the past used multiple cameras to take shots and piece them together for a 360-degree view, Delpit can scan a wide range of the field and not only remember what’s happening outside his immediate periphery but also anticipate what should happen next.

Special players possess this type of feel for the action. Delpit illustrates this on the first play when he understands there’s little separating the receiver from the open field after he tips the ball from the receiver but the path of the ball still gives his opponent a second-chance opportunity.

On the second play, Delpit begins his counter move to overcome a well-designed block that sends him to the ground before he even hits the ground.

And on the third play, Delpit gets stiff-armed to the ground but displays uncanny body awareness to slow the ballcarrier with the pinpoint placement of his hand on the football, while on the ground and turned away from the opponent.

I like a lot of football players in this 2020 NFL Draft class but if Delpit declares his eligibility, you can have the rest of them. Delpit is the type of player that makes quarterbacks, receivers, and ball carrier’s take the Lord’s name in vain. They probably just say “Grant Delpit,” it has the same first letters and syllable count…
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Matt Waldman’s RSP Boiler Room No.240 S Grant Delpit (LSU): Steps Ahead
by MATT WALDMANSEPTEMBER 3, 2019

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2019/09/03/ma...su-steps-ahead/

Matt Waldman’s RSP Boiler Room examines LSU safety Grant Delpit, one of the best prospects Waldman has watched in 2019 because of his ability to execute steps ahead of his competition.

Grant Delpit is one of the most intuitive players I’ve seen in a while. In the middle of executing a good decision, the LSU safety makes split-second adjustments that transform his choices into excellent outcomes.

These moments are happening at a speed that a player cannot think about—many of them can’t be practiced. These are flashes of intuition that come from piecing together disparate athletic, intellectual, and technical skills into exact solutions needed for a given moment.

I could probably do a four-hour film room on Delpit with the supply of impressive plays I’ve seen from him as a pass rusher, run defender, and executor of man and zone coverage. There will be plenty of people who will take the time to give you that kind of tour of Delpit’s game.

Instead, I’d rather show you three plays that reveal the invisible thread that elevates Delpit’s game to elite prospect status. The first is pass-breakup. The second is a quarterback sack. And the third is an assisted tackle to stop a fake field goal.

All three plays illustrate how Delpit consistently thinks a step ahead of the action happening to him, crafting and executing solutions before that action is even complete. In the way that photographers in the past used multiple cameras to take shots and piece them together for a 360-degree view, Delpit can scan a wide range of the field and not only remember what’s happening outside his immediate periphery but also anticipate what should happen next.

Special players possess this type of feel for the action. Delpit illustrates this on the first play when he understands there’s little separating the receiver from the open field after he tips the ball from the receiver but the path of the ball still gives his opponent a second-chance opportunity.

On the second play, Delpit begins his counter move to overcome a well-designed block that sends him to the ground before he even hits the ground.

And on the third play, Delpit gets stiff-armed to the ground but displays uncanny body awareness to slow the ballcarrier with the pinpoint placement of his hand on the football, while on the ground and turned away from the opponent.

I like a lot of football players in this 2020 NFL Draft class but if Delpit declares his eligibility, you can have the rest of them. Delpit is the type of player that makes quarterbacks, receivers, and ball carrier’s take the Lord’s name in vain. They probably just say “Grant Delpit,” it has the same first letters and syllable count…

2 min video dissecting one play is a little excessive. LOL

I also don't like that a kicker stiff-armed him to the ground.

Studying Grant Delpit's versatility from a variety of alignments and closely digging into his tackling strengths and weaknesses -- particularly how/if they can be fixed.

For more deep-dive analysis, join us at TheOBR where Delpit's recent film room tracked the All-22 over his last two seasons at LSU and have 40+ clips and examples of his play style and traits.
READ MORE: https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-b...
My favourite draft pick. And as much as I’m hopeful about our new LT, I want Grant to be a perennial Pro Bowler and anchor our defensive backfield for a decade or more.
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog

Let's say hypothetically, worst case scenario that the guy can't tackle all that well. It's not like the only time in your life you can ever learn to tackle properly is Pop Warner. All you need is the willingness to learn and a coach who emphasizes it.

True, and Deion was a unwilling tackler. Nobody would cut him from the team.

I am not saying this kid is a Sanders, but he is good.

It's like backs who step out of bounds near run's end. I don't mind that if the guy is good.

If you need that last yard, sure, lower the shoulder and try to get it, but to me, I'd rather my guy not get hurt then trying for 1 extra yard.

Is that 1-2 yards more important than the 700 more he might gain for you over the last 6-7 games?
© DawgTalkers.net