DawgTalkers.net
Discuss
I like it. He seems to be more of a 2 down LB, but with more depth at S now we can afford it
Guess we spent a lot of time scouting the sec west....
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Discuss

Probably a 2 down guy who gets lost in pass defense. Not a fan of this pick.
Meh, would have drafted Trautman the TE or LB Harrison.
Good run defender. Fills gaps well. Pretty fast on tape. Poor coverage skills.

Would have been a great pick had we re-signed Joe. Considering we let Joe go and signed the stiff from GB, the pick is a bit of a head-scratchier.
Thought he was a 4th round guy...but late 3rd is reasonable...we obviously needed a LB, hoping he pans out.
Harrison goes to the Rats.
Baltimore is destroying my psyche
We shall see how it goes... I remember him standing out. I dont like really like the idea of 2 played on the same team drafted together playing together.

So, for that reason, Harrison would have been a good pick. Lol
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Harrison goes to the Rats.

Naturally!
I like the pick. Another SEC player.

Why not? Might as well go with the kids who play at the top of the chain.
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
We shall see how it goes... I remember him standing out. I dont like really like the idea of 2 played on the same team drafted together playing together.

So, for that reason, Harrison would have been a good pick. Lol

I wonder if the already having some familiarity/communication factored into the pick with the strange offseason it looks like we're in for.
I like the pick. Would have preferred Harrison. Phillips ran a 4.66 at the combine at 229 lbs. Harrison also ran a 4.66 at the combine at 247 lbs. I would always takethe bigger guy when all things are even.

The Browns needed a MLB. And, against the run he is an upgrade. This defense needs that.
From the Athletic.

97. Cleveland Browns (from HOU): Jacob Phillips, LB, LSU
I have some concerns about what Phillips offers in coverage due to the tightness in his movements. But he has a quick trigger to read and go, tracking the ball and making stops. And he rarely misses tackles once he arrives at the ball carrier. This is a little earlier than I thought he would go, but I can understand the pick because of Phillips’ diagnose and finishing skills.

LB has become a 2 down position.
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Minus players like Joe Schobert

Unless you have a guy like Joe Schobert. Too bad we had no chance at signing a guy like that.
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Unless you have a guy like Joe Schobert. Too bad we had no chance at signing a guy like that.

Thanks Dorsey!
Yes. It is all Dorsey's fault. The new FO had absolutely no time to re-sign Joe. They were not allowed to talk to him before Jax was. Damn Dorsey. What an idiot!
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

Minus players like Joe Schobert

Yes, Schobert was an until they score a touchdown LB. Or was it a there's another first down LB? Unfortunately, never leaving the field is kind of a double-edged sword at times.

Apparently it's late and I'm getting cranky. Joe wasn't that bad.

I'm thinking it might be the cerebral part of the game we liked about Phillips that set him apart a bit perhaps.
j/c

Everything I'm hearing about this player gives me the impression this is a mediocre pick. I'll be interested in what they say about their reasons for drafting him.
What a day 2! Lets sum things up.

We take a safety that can't tackle & takes poor angles, but played hurt & can cover.

We take a DT that can't finish & doesn't like to wear orange helmets. Looks like a project.

We take a light weight ILB that's a tackling machine, but can't cover.

We trade away a rush LB that can cover to NO.

We take the LSU LB & the very next pick the Ravens take MH a run stuffing MLB from OU.

Oh ya, we get a 3 next yr. that will be closer to a 4.

Can't wait for tomorrow!!!!!!
Should have taken Malik Harrison, no brainer.
Yes. It is all Dorsey's fault. The new FO had absolutely no time to re-sign Joe. They were not allowed to talk to him before Jax was. Damn Dorsey. What an idiot!

Good to see you on board finally.
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
j/c

Everything I'm hearing about this player gives me the impression this is a mediocre pick. I'll be interested in what they say about their reasons for drafting him.

I’m not sure it was even mediocre. He supposedly doesn’t miss tackles but has trouble getting off blocks? We should have gone with Harrison.
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
j/c

I’m not sure it was even mediocre. He supposedly doesn’t miss tackles but has trouble getting off blocks? We should have gone with Harrison.

Special teamer and backup for Mack Wilson?

I just hope he can get on the field.
We really should probably hurry up and sign him so we can cut him.
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
We really should probably hurry up and sign him so we can cut him.

We haven't signed him yet?!?!?

This front office. . .
Amateurs.
Originally Posted By: Demo44
What a day 2! Lets sum things up.

We take a safety that can't tackle & takes poor angles, but played hurt & can cover.

We take a DT that can't finish & doesn't like to wear orange helmets. Looks like a project.

We take a light weight ILB that's a tackling machine, but can't cover.

We trade away a rush LB that can cover to NO.

We take the LSU LB & the very next pick the Ravens take MH a run stuffing MLB from OU.

Oh ya, we get a 3 next yr. that will be closer to a 4.

Can't wait for tomorrow!!!!!!

That's OSU, Ohio State, OU is Ohio University, the bobcats.
#Browns Kevin Stefanski on LBs on roster: Youth is a good thing. We're a hungry group. We're going to roll a bunch of guys out there and see what we've got.

@ScottPetrak
Nick Rizzo Per Bucky Brooks (NFL Network)
“97) Jacob Phillips, LB, Cleveland Browns
An active linebacker with impressive athletic traits, Phillips flies around the field with reckless abandon but lacks the strength and take-on skills to be an immediate starter. The LSU product could develop into a starter in time with skill refinement.

98) Malik Harrison, LB, Baltimore Ravens (via Patriots)
The former high school QB has become quite the thumper as a second-level defender. Harrison is an explosive take-on defender in the running game with the length and strength to quickly discard blockers at the point of attack, before flowing to the ball. He is just as active as a pass defender with intriguing blitz skills and coverage ability.”
Big reach. Ravens get Malik Harrison. Oof.

Hopefully it works out.

Ahem, I’ve heard whispers of game.

Jarvis and Odell need to be the example, the template.

You vouch for them, it’s on you 2, accountability.
What’s interesting to me is that we can very easily judge Berry’s draft ... I mean basically EVERY time we made a pick, immediately after that pick someone was picked at the SAME position. I can’t remember the last time I felt this was so black and white:

- LT - Wills or Wirfs/Becton
- S - Delpit or Winfield
- ILB - Phillips or Harrison
Good run defender. Fills gaps well. Pretty fast on tape. Poor coverage skills.

Would have been a great pick had we re-signed Joe. Considering we let Joe go and signed the stiff from GB, the pick is a bit of a head-scratchier.

I don't disagree.. He is good against the run, something Schobert wasn't all that good at.

I think it evident that Woods is going to employ nickle and even dime as our "base" a good portion of the time so somebody has to come off the field.

I liked Joe as well, but it seems clear that we made the decision as a coaching staff that having another safety or corner in coverage is better that having a backer in coverage.

In running downs, we want run stoppers, and Joe wasn't that.

That said, I agree, I would have probably gone Harrison with that pick. Then again, we don't know exactly what type of coverage we are going to ask this kid to play if called on to do so.

If the other team gets skinny and we are stuck in big, I suspect we are going to be in some sort of zone and not ask him to follow a TE or back around the field. Go in to your zone, then become a run stopper, something at which he excels.

You know that football is more and more a match-up game. You try to gain the advantage. When you can't or don't, get your players in the best position possible to do what they do best.

This kid is a tackler. Don't worry about breaking up the pass. Don't let the guy out of your zone in to the next for a gash play. Make the tackle.

That is doing your job as the player, or as a coach not asking someone to do things they can't. Sometimes you are going to give up yards.

Other coaches are pretty good. It's a game of chess. Sometimes you are going to get stuck in a bad spot.

Football is changing. On D, backers are the expendables.

You aren't going to eliminate the fatties up front. You are going to keep them to hope you kill the play before it happens. After that, being a passing game, you are going to put as many good cover guys on the field as you can in traditional passing downs.

It's why Simmons was so valued. After guys like that, you have to pick your poison. Give up yards on the ground or give them up in the air.

Since most running plays average less than completed passes, you give up ground yardage.

Pretty simple in my book.

I wonder what total yards per play attempted looks like? I am talking about total yards per running play v passing plays, completed or not. Even deduct yards lost via sack or tackled behind the LOS.

Depo probably knows. It would be a interesting stat. Do you or anybody else know? I don't.
Phillips sounds like he is good against the run, good tackler, hustles but isn't good in coverage. Good potential but I would have preferred Harrison. Time will tell. JMO
I like this pick. I was also a fan of Harrison, but I think Phillips has a much higher ceiling, in particular in pass coverage.

I think what everyone is seeing in Harrison, we already have here with Taki.
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Phillips sounds like he is good against the run, good tackler, hustles but isn't good in coverage. Good potential but I would have preferred Harrison. Time will tell. JMO

They both have the same strengths and weaknesses.
Like the rest of us....Go Browns!!! James 1/19-21
https://www.pff.com/news/college-footbal...-in-lsu-clemson

Found this article printed before the National Championship game. It posts the 25 best players in the game. Small scouting report on both Philips and Delpit.

Philips is a sure tackler going into the National Championship game he attempted 88 tackles and only missed on 3. Led LSU in tackles.

As I have said earlier I wanted Harrison. I just like the bigger man if all things seemed equal. But, it really looks like in reality it was just splitting hairs. Both are run stopers that are physical and like to play down field.

3 of our 4 draft picks have won National Championships. I wonder if the FO is making an effort to bring in players with winning pedigrees when possible.
Thanks for that article. A year in a NFL weightroom and maybe he is at 235- 240. His taclkling abilities are special, we need that in our division. I too wanted Harrison based on his size and ability to get downhill and deliver blows at the LOS. Our run D must improve if we want to have a shot at winning our division.
When you pick a guy in the middle of the draft it usually is a average guy. Most usually have upside but have deficiencies in their game or he been would have been a first of second round guy.
I don't understand your statement Guard.
This guy flys to the ball and makes tackles when he arrives and lets them know he was there and that is what he does.

GREAT pick !!!!

My favorite one since Wills.

Solid post and analysis Day.
Jacob Phillips 'ready to work' and establish himself in Browns young LB corps

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/...young-lb-corps/

Jacob Phillips is excited to land in Cleveland. The Browns’ third-round linebacker knows he has a great opportunity to establish himself right away in the young LB corps.

Phillips talked about his opportunity and more in his press conference call with reporters following Day 2.

“That was one of my key things: one, to be the outcomes of this draft coming into room where I will get an opportunity,” Phillips said in his conference call. “I feel as though I will be given an opportunity in Cleveland. I am ready to work. I am ready to put in every ounce that I can to succeed and help the team win. I just want to make sure that I bring that winning tradition I had in college to Cleveland.”

Phillips could quickly earn the starting inside backer job. He led a talent-laden LSU defense in two ways: tackles and emotional fire. Those are qualities that can help Phillips get on the field a lot as a rookie.
So as of now we have ... Mack Wilson, Taki Taki, and Phillips as our top 3 LBs?
/
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
What’s interesting to me is that we can very easily judge Berry’s draft ... I mean basically EVERY time we made a pick, immediately after that pick someone was picked at the SAME position. I can’t remember the last time I felt this was so black and white:

- LT - Wills or Wirfs/Becton
- S - Delpit or Winfield
- ILB - Phillips or Harrison

Was thinking the exact same thing. I honestly don't mind if Becton and Winfield go on to be very good/great - they both come with some risks that are different and above & beyond the risk of simple player eval - Phillips/Harrison is going to be a direct comparison. Interesting times ahead. Also interested to see how Ezra Cleveland and Josh Jones perform seeing how far they fell.
/

That's a concern.
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
He led a talent-laden LSU defense in two ways: tackles and emotional fire. Those are qualities that can help Phillips get on the field a lot as a rookie.

I really like the comment that he was a leader in their emotional fire. I have felt for years (a decade and half?) that we play too blah. We lack fire and intensity.

One of the things about Takitaki that I liked last year was his enthusiasm.
When he was on the field, he never seemed to be involved in making a play, but the defense as a whole played better than when he went off the field. And if the D plays better and he isn't making plays, then it must be the way he gets everyone fired up. Nothing objective, totally my subjective opinion.
/

And Goodson.
And Tae Davis.

(Plus a couple of totally inexperienced guys in Harvey and Grace)
I thought I read somewhere that he wasn't that big an alpha. (It was in his NFL.com Draft and Combine Profile Link ) I'm curious to see the reality. It may have been a past season reference when he was deferring to Devin White.

I'm a bit anxious to see who ends up making the calls for us. Maybe Phillips has got that Joe Schobert football intelligence that helps us get the calls and checks right, but with less range and more thump.
J/c

Thanks all, I’ve lost track of the LB corps depth guys ... obviously there’s no much there
/

ooo That is a crisis
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies
/

ooo That is a crisis

That’s not going to get it done
Originally Posted By: mgh888
/

That's a concern.

I'd rather play with 6 DB's and 5 DL than trot our this sacrificial joke of an LB group.

someone can quote that too
I don't get why people think Wilson and Taki suck. Wilson was thrown to the wolves last year before he was ready, and still was decent. Taki was just a ST, and also was called on to play at the end of the year. I'm not saying they are studs, but they both will be in their second year, and I would think will improve.

These guys were not bums when drafted.
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
I don't get why people think Wilson and Taki suck. Wilson was thrown to the wolves last year before he was ready, and still was decent. Taki was just a ST, and also was called on to play at the end of the year. I'm not saying they are studs, but they both will be in their second year, and I would think will improve.

These guys were not bums when drafted.

I am not concerned that they will stink. I am concerned that we don't know what they are and what they are could be stinky.
The worry, for me anyway, is that they haven't shown themselves to definitely be ready to be a fulltime starter. They are still as much of an unknown as the kids we just drafted.
This is the only pick I wouldn't give us better than an average grade. But within the pick there is still a lot of good.

He was the inside guy with White (1st round) for the 2018 season and remained inside with Queen (1st round) last year.

Athletically he does rank out extremely highly so far as a roaming/spy LBer.

He does do a very good job at getting low and wrapping up the ball carrier,.

Unfortunately, he also does not play with the physicality and power that a lot of us like (I'm old, I like hard-nosed football guys).

He also is very poor at picking up guys in the passing game. Within that though, the good is that I think a large part of that is because it was something he was almost never asked to do. He is definitely athletic enough to stay up with RB's and TE's in the short area game, but almost all of his drop backs were just falling back into an open space and watching the QB so that is still a big unknown.

I didn't do a board past 50 guys this year, but he was my 12th LBer on that list which I suppose would likely make him a good value late 4 or early 5. I guess if Logan Wilson was floating in the low 100's range in my head as the 10th LBer,Phillips probably would have been in the 130-140 range had I put the time to sort all that.

Certainly not "bad" but a round early. Probably C-.

But again...at least he wraps up. smile

Linebacker is the one position I am concerned about.

I disagreed with letting Schobert walk. We have the money and we need a guy like him with experience. So why let him walk?

In the draft most question this pick of Phillips. I have no vote on him since I know nothing about him. The fact is most taken at that point will have a hard time making the team. Special teams at best for most.

I am uncomfortable with our LB's. Hopefully the big second year jump in development happens. Or, we make a trade to get a guy. I would have no problem trading Njoku for a vet linebacker.
Originally Posted By: bonefish

I would have no problem trading Njoku for a vet linebacker.

Been thinking the same thing since we signed Hooper... Now, after yesterday, he's definitely a trade asset to be considered.
Phillips was a late day two prospect in January ... and was a late day two selction in April.

In between where speculations to the contrary...
Anyone else note that Phillips tackles rather high?...I saw it noted he is a really good tackler...But noticed he has a tendency to do like an arm lock rather high...Not sure if that will fly will the big boys in the NFL.
The first question I ask is what is the team looking for from the position of ILB?

Looking for speed and range like Schobert was..all over the field, defending passes 25 yds down field...

...OR, were the Browns looking for the ILB who showed a knack for "stuffing the run"...someone "with an attitude and temperament" of past ILBs who enjoy the hitting and bring it, on the field.

Watching replays of the Browns 2019 games and it became "obvious" that the Browns 2019 LB corp lacked the ability to stop the run. The Browns defense ranked 30th in the NFL at stopping the run, giving up 144.7 yds per game on the ground.

Can't win in the NFL North with a defense that allows that kind of defensive performance.

So, did the BOYS look to find a run stopping ILB...or did the analytics guide their selection based on some mathematical advantage, leading them to the run stopping ILB out of LSU?

The Browns draft team had a choice and imo, they went for another Schobert type LB.
Originally Posted By: mac
The first question I ask is what is the team looking for from the position of ILB?

Looking for speed and range like Schobert was..all over the field, defending passes 25 yds down field...

...OR, were the Browns looking for the ILB who showed a knack for "stuffing the run"...someone "with an attitude and temperament" of past ILBs who enjoy the hitting and bring it, on the field.

Watching replays of the Browns 2019 games and it became "obvious" that the Browns 2019 LB corp lacked the ability to stop the run. The Browns defense ranked 30th in the NFL at stopping the run, giving up 144.7 yds per game on the ground.

Can't win in the NFL North with a defense that allows that kind of defensive performance.

So, did the BOYS look to find a run stopping ILB...or did the analytics guide their selection based on some mathematical advantage, leading them to the run stopping ILB out of LSU?

The Browns draft team had a choice and imo, they went for another Schobert type LB.

No Mac, he isn't considered to be a coverage LB, but one that is good against the run and one who did not miss many tackles.
Not sure why you think Phillips is a down the field type player. Never did it at LSU and was a very good tackling linebacker in college.
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Discuss

Not overly impressed by this highlight film.
A tackler?

That alone is an upgrade IMO. Go ahead and win some games. thumbsup brownie
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
A tackler?

I do feel like certain picks were made to "fill roles". "Coverage LB... meh. Tackling LB... woohoo! Tackling FS... meh. Coverage FS... woohoo!"
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
A tackler?

I do feel like certain picks were made to "fill roles". "Coverage LB... meh. Tackling LB... woohoo! Tackling FS... meh. Coverage FS... woohoo!"

I agree. When I think about LB I don't think about coverage skills. If you want coverage, but a DB out there.

I want somebody who can tackle.

People think too much.
I watched the film and thought Jacob looked good. He hustles, is always around the ball and tackles really well. Looks like a keeper to me.
I know I'm classified as a HOMER as if that is suppose to be a negative or something. But still. I will be realistic about this.

You can sort of get excited about our first and second round picks, their expectation for transition and success is great....all of them for all teams are.

But in going forward where by sheer numbers the highest percentage of starters in our NFL come from is from rounds 3-7 and UDFA not from those first two rounds. But its a numbers game. You increase the odds of success with Numbers.

ok so get that stat bs out of your mind set and back to football.

Its all about which one of theses young prospects will apply his opportunity with best result by working hard, being coached up and yes having talent. Phillips can become a pro bowler or he can be a Special Teamer for a few seasons and then selling cars and playing for me in Semi Pro...lol laugh (actually I have retired from coaching)

But we have all seen - for me a kid who ended up doing a murder suicide with the chiefs but he was a guy with very average skill sets. Great athlete locally and ended up playing football for Maine. But he kept on learning and working hard he did not have the size nor speed for an NFL LB but due to his hard work became a Starting LB in the NFL. He was such an inspiration to the locals playing Semi-Pro. But its a perfect example of taking the most of your OPPORTUNITIES. These kids drafted have so much more speed and physical skills but do they have that special something to dedicate themselves physically to become the best that they can be. That is the key guys/gals. Environment is a big variable and our beloved Browns do not have that at all. So its an uphill battle. But in the NFL the lifespan is quick so our NEW REGIME will be able to build that environment which I believe our last Regime (1 year) took for granted.

I hope we can establish the correct environment for these young men to get the most out of themselves and develop into great players!

jmhwishes
j/c...

One of the things that I paid really close attention to after this draft was how each player we drafted reacted after being taken. I really think we got high character guys who are truly excited to be on our team. This includes Phillips.

He seems to be the most criticized pick we made but the more you dig into why we picked him, the more it makes sense.

Wills wants to prove that he is the best T in the draft.
Delpit wants to prove that he is the best S in the draft and that he can tackle.
Elliot will want to show teams why they shouldn't have passed on him.
Phillips will want to prove that it wasn't just all about Patrick Queen.

There are some really solid motivating factors there behind our top draft picks.
DPJ wants to prove he's not a 6th round talent.
Exactly. I just saw a way too early mock from 2020 and it had Delpit 6th overall and DPJ 22nd overall.
j/c

This is all conjecture on my part let's get that out of the way.
Based on the strengths of our defensive players I see our DL doing quite a bit of one gap penetration. I envision Goodson, Phillips, or Takitaki being expected to make their run fits. Bsed on what we know about our LB corp their production in defending the run will be vital. Mack appears to have the most coverage ability at this time. So in obvious passing situations, I think it's probable that Mack stays on the field in a sub-package with one of the other linebackers who is the least vulnerable in pass coverage and maybe they go nickle with Kevin Johson or they line up in a dime with Johson and Sendejo. Something along those lines.
Originally Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife
Exactly. I just saw a way too early mock from 2020 and it had Delpit 6th overall and DPJ 22nd overall.

Now that is amazing!

I'm curious: about how many guys actually went in the neighborhood of where this draft pegged them?

Did Delpit and DPJ really drop off that much in play in 2019?

Now that is amazing!

I'm curious: about how many guys actually went in the neighborhood of where this draft pegged them?

Here's the link to the mock. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2833...rly-predictions

Now that is amazing!

Here's the link to the mock. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2833...rly-predictions

Woah... talk about how the tides have turned for a lot of these guys.

Studying Jacob Phillips' LSU tape to get a feel for how he found success playing alongside Patrick Queen. How his attacking nature can help his game but it must be controlled, and his ability to play in space with success defining his career.

For more deep-dive analysis, join us at TheOBR where Phillips' Film Room recently posted tracking the All-22 through his Junior season and has an abundance of clips providing more insights on his current level of ability.

READ PHILLIPS' FILM ROOM: https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-b...
Phillips is a tackling machine something we desperately needed ...
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Phillips is a tackling machine something we desperately needed ...

Taki is a tackling machine as well.. Should be an interesting competition to see who starts next to Mack.
I got the sense Taki was kind of unpolished, but played with energy ... he overran some plays and stuff, but had urgency to do something ... which we need
When Taki was in the game, he made very few plays but the defense as a whole played with more intensity resulting in a better outcome.

Numerous times I saw the defense playing well and didn't notice that Taki was in the game until he was replaced. Then immediately the defensive play went down considerably.
I got the sense Taki was kind of unpolished, but played with energy ... he overran some plays and stuff, but had urgency to do something ... which we need

Unpolished? Yes,
He only played one full season @ LB in college.

I see him and SS Joseph as our tone setters.
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg

Unpolished? Yes,
He only played one full season @ LB in college.

I see him and SS Joseph as our tone setters.
yeah his future could be at that hybrid position ... good point
Takitaki and Wilson have great motors but tend to overrun plays. I think with a little more coaching and experience they both can make a significant jump. Phillips and Goodson don't miss tackles but don't really have the ability to make huge impact plays.

I wonder if we have more of a 4 man rotation with these guys throughout the year depending on the down and distance situation.

Takitaki and Phillips are good vs. the run but not so much in coverage.

Wilson didn't grade well in coverage but he was really close on a lot of plays last year. Goodson is decent in coverage and has a strong pass rush.

I could see us playing Takitaki / Phillips on obvious running plays and Wilson and Goodson on obvious passing plays.
I disagree about Phillips. He is a sideline to sideline LB and hustles all over the field. That is a definition of a guy that can make impact plays.
What, in Goodson's history, tells you that he is decent in coverage and as a pass rusher?
What, in Goodson's history, tells you that he is decent in coverage and as a pass rusher?

Thats what I was wondering.
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
I disagree about Phillips. He is a sideline to sideline LB and hustles all over the field. That is a definition of a guy that can make impact plays.

I said huge impact plays. Phillips isn't an athletic freak but is solid across the board. I think he will be used to fill gaps and keep contain.

According to PFF, Goodson (64.8) graded close to Shoebert (67.6) last year in coverage.

Goodson (71.5) was also much better rushing the passer than Shoebert (62.3).

His overall rating was higher as well.

Some clips of BJ rushing the passer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT3XV9PX7zc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egktpntbqwc
How many pass coverage snaps did he get compared to Schobert?
Shoebert had 553 and Goodson had 96.
Rather than look at what Goodson did last year with such limited snaps when compared to Schobert go back and look at Goodson's numbers in 2018 and 2017.

2018 PFF Grades

Coverage = 59.2 in 210 snaps
Pass Rush = 66.2 in 37 snaps

2017 PFF Grades

Coverage = 42.6 in 210 snaps
Pass Rush = 48.6 in 30 snaps
More evidence Goodson is here just as a rotational piece.

I think we end up having more looks with 3 safeties (Joseph, Delpit, Sendejo) and 1 LB (Wilson).

It is clear we still need a LB who can cover.
Wilson is our 'cover' LB.
Goodson is here for some veteran leadership.
He is not the straw that will stir the drink. He will provide some quality reps but I think not as a starter. He should be a plus in the LB room as noted showing the youngsters how to be a Pro. What I liked from Goodson is that he improved each year. That is all you can ask from these Pros is to get better each year. If they do not, they are NOT FOR LONG...

Again I cannot stress enough the importance of our DL to set the tone for the entire Defense. As they go so do our LB and then 3rd tier the DBs.

All will be better players as long as the DL excels. We have been a 3-4 Defense in most of our history of the last 3-4 decades so that most of us have grown use to LBs being our Impact players. They are pawns in the 4-3 or pretty much 4-2, 5-2 defense we will run. We got studs up front on our DL.
I know I'm biased and am proud to be a HOMER but I think we have one of the best DL's in the NFL!!!

jmho
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Wilson is our 'cover' LB.

I know PFF's LB stats are very flawed but Wilson only had a 44.1 rating in coverage for 455 snaps.

I could see his style working with Phillips if he is supported by strong D-line and secondary play.
I think Wilson was learning on the fly last year. I think with time and preparation, he is going to show to be good.
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
I think Wilson was learning on the fly last year. I think with time and preparation, he is going to show to be good.
that would be nice ... I’m skeptical of our LBs (like everyone) simply because we don’t have much proven there
EXCEPT ME ... *L* ...
I think Jacob is going to be an excellent LB. He has the physical tools, is a good tackler, hustles and has a good attitude. He came from a winning program and I'm sure he wants that at this level. JMO
© DawgTalkers.net