DawgTalkers.net
Discuss
Good pick for a zone scheme.
Nick Harris in that Stefanski zone scheme is MONEY. All about fit for him and he just landed with the perfect team.

https://twitter.com/CDonnick3/status/1254119897333813248
Great value in the 5th round here.

It's interesting that our strategy has played out position wise with how many of us mocked it up ( at least position wise ).

OL, S, DL, LB, TE/WR, OL.

I am very happy with our picks overall at this point in the draft.
Good fit for zone scheme.

Dane Brugler had a 3rd round grade on him and rated as his fourth best center.

From PFF's draft guide...

Will he ever be a decent NFL Starter yes or no.

It is a late round Center. At least they got a body,

Tell me he's not a starter, unless he has a mean streak.

What I mean is, somebody tell me this dude isn't going to start unless Can.
Seems pretty good value to me. He really seems to fit what our new scheme is. I really like his experience and if JC gets an injury, we should be fine.
I wonder if he could work at RG, or maybe take over at C and we move Tretter to RG?

Eh, 5th rounder - he's lucky to be a backup, but it is fun to think about possibilities.
Back. Up line help. I’ll take it
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I wonder if he could work at RG, or maybe take over at C and we move Tretter to RG?

Eh, 5th rounder - he's lucky to be a backup, but it is fun to think about possibilities.

Meet Nick Harris, Washington's anchor on the offensive line

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2020/02/29/nfl-draft-2020-prospects-nick-harris-washington-interview/

Experience, intelligence, athleticism. These are all traits that make a successful offensive line prospect, and things that all 32 NFL teams are looking for in this year’s draft.

They’ll find them all in Washington’s Nick Harris.

A battle-tested blocker with experience at every interior offensive line position, Harris recently spoke exclusively with Draft Wire about his ability to play multiple spots, the leadership ability of Huskies quarterback Jacob Eason, and what kind of impact he’ll have at the next level.

JM: You’re an experienced starting center, and you really were the leader of that Washington offensive line. How does that experience serve you well going forward?
NH: Experience is never a bad thing and I have a lot of it. We played against some of the best defenses in the nation and I’ve played against some of the best interior defensive linemen in the nation. It certainly gives me an edge to compete at the next level. I embraced a leadership role at Washington. That will go a long way for me as well. I have the experience teams are looking for at the next level.

JM: Speaking of those linemen, who are some of the best interior defensive linemen you’ve squared off with?
NH: The first people that come to mind are the guys that we’ve had at Washington throughout my time there. We’ve been blessed with so many quality defensive linemen. Guys like Vita Vea, Greg Gaines, Elijah Qualls and Shane Bowman. All of those guys have serious NFL talent and I had to go up against them every single day. Regarding our opponents, you had guys like Leki Fotu from Utah. I played against Derrick Brown from Auburn during my junior year. The defensive tackles at USC are so solid. We had to play against a lot of talented guys that will definitely be playing on Sunday’s.

JM: What do you enjoy about playing center?
NH: I mostly just enjoy being in the middle of it all. It fits my personality. I’m an outgoing guy. I’m an excellent communicator. I’m not afraid to talk to anyone. I love the responsibility that comes with playing the position. I love being able to use my football I.Q. as a trait. You definitely have to have a high football I.Q. to play the position. I love the game of football and I have a great understanding of things. I love using that to my advantage as a center.

JM: You spent most of your time at center over the past few years, but you’ve played some left and right guard, as well. Do you think it makes the most sense for your pro team to keep you at center at the next level?
NH: I would say so, yes. I’m capable of playing anywhere inside though. I played my first two years at Washington at left and right guard, just like you said. There’s no telling how much better I would have gotten at guard if I had stayed there. I love playing on the interior. I’ll play anywhere that my team needs me to play for sure.

JM: Is there a scheme that you prefer or maybe that you’re more comfortable in?
NH: I would like to play in an offense that uses my play style to my advantage. I enjoy blocking on the second level. I love using my athleticism to create an advantage for myself. I enjoy the different wide zone concepts, a lot of downfield stuff. That definitely suits me best. With that said, we did a little bit of everything at Washington. I played in a multiple offense. We did everything. I’m definitely capable of playing in any kind of offense.

JM: You were also at the Senior Bowl. Who were some of the best pass rushers you saw down there?
NH: I mostly went up against the interior defensive linemen down there. I thought that Davon Hamilton from Ohio State was a good defensive tackle. He’s a strong guy with powerful hands. Jason Strowbridge from North Carolina was pretty good, too. He was quick and he had really good hands. All of the guys down there were solid, but those two stuck out to me the most.

JM: What’s your favorite way to demoralize your opponent?
NH: My personal favorite way, I mean every offensive linemen loves to dominate. I actually enjoy the mental aspect of it more. I like winning the psychological battle in the trenches. That’s something I take pride in. I like chirping them, I like getting chippy. I think that takes a toll on a defensive linemen throughout the game. Everybody says that I’m a little undersized. I don’t believe I am but that’s what they say. You gotta use anything you can to gain the upper hand.

JM: Do you have a preferred pass set, and do you vary that throughout the course of a game?
NH: Yeah, I personally like pass setting different players differently. It’s important that I keep them on their toes. I don’t want them to get used to how I’m pass setting. That’s how you become predictable. If I’m up against a quicker guy, I like to set right on the ball, a quick little set. That allows me to stop their rush rather quickly. I would say the same for the bull rush guys just so they don’t get momentum right off the snap. I like switching it up though. You have to throw them off throughout the game.

JM: What can you tell me about Jacob Eason the man, the leader, and the quarterback?
NH: He came on so strong for us this year. He definitely took on a leadership role. A lot of people don’t think that he did that but I can tell you firsthand that he did. We relied on him a lot this year. As the quarterback in our offense, he was obviously the face of our offense. Somebody had to grow into that role following the departure of Jake Browning and Jacob definitely did that. The talent is there, man. He loves football and he loves being around the guys. He was a hell of a leader for us. I enjoyed watching him grow over these past two years. The ceiling is incredibly high for him at the next level because he loves football.

JM: What kind of impact is Nick Harris going to make at the next level?
NH: I’m gonna bring a different energy to a team, an energy that people can feed off of. I’m definitely gonna embrace a leadership role. People feed off of that. I’m just gonna bring a competitive edge to the locker room. I want people to see it. I wanna compete with my teammates day in, day out. Those are the things I’m gonna bring with me to the next level.
j/c.... likely a Tretter replacement.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/j.c.-tretter-12403/

There is a potential out in 2021 with Tretter. So, this is likely the planning ahead move to backfill should we need the cap space.
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

If you can read the very small print above in Brugler's write-up ... under Strengths it says "experienced at Center and both Guard spots.". So maybe some help, or at least depth, at RG.
If Nick Harris was 6'3, he'd have been near a first round pick. Harris is a spark plug. He's fun to watch. @Browns drafted a good one in the 5th round

@GeoffSchwartz
building depth on the Oline, that is a good thing.
Originally Posted By: Dave

If you can read the very small print above in Brugler's write-up ... under Strengths it says "experienced at Center and both Guard spots.". So maybe some help, or at least depth, at RG.

Right click on image.

Click view image.
Love this guy's attitude, high character guy, accomplished for his body size....a dog on field, wants to excell.....love the pick....GO Browns!!! Starter someday, time will tell.
Thanks - luckily enough, I can still read small print without glasses, even at my advanced age.
Would have preferred some more defensive backfield help but I’ll never fault them for bolstering OL depth. Plus the middle rounds are where you get your interior OL. Sounds like he still has some upside and isn’t likely to be deployed this year unless he’s in the mix at RG. Fine.

There is a potential out in 2021 with Tretter. So, this is likely the planning ahead move to backfill should we need the cap space.

I'd say it's even more likely after the 2021 season where releasing Tretter would only count $1.625M against the cap and save $8.25M.

Two year grooming period.
Sounds like a great pick .. for scheme fit, depth, future, youth, etc. Well done
seems like a good late round value pick... OL depth... sounds like he can cover Center or RG.

I’m interested in him as the RG until Tretter is gone
I think this is a great value pick (he was a 3rd / 4th round projection by most sites I read) and I think he starts for us sooner than we anticipate. I think he fell as he doesn't have the length you'd like but the cat fits a zone scheme like a glove. He's also, as above posts, a leader - we've solidified our OL for years with the draft picks we've made.
You bring up a good point: it seems like we haven’t drafted many unmotivated/jerk type players. No character red flags
From The Draft Network - https://thedraftnetwork.com/prospect-rankings

Quote:

Run Blocking - Shines as a positional blocker, taking advantage of angles and working laterally to widen gaps. Won’t be confused as a road grader but he can great space, seal lanes and he’s highly effective combo blocking to the second level. Feet can get left behind when working his hips around and he must become more deliberate about keeping them engaged.

Pass Blocking - Love his ability to slide his feet and stay square but his anchor is hit or miss. Best when uncovered and he can use his awareness to help and slide. Alignments where he has to fan wide and reach set points present some challenges. Has to work overtime to anchor against dynamic speed to power converters.

Blocking in Space - Dynamic worker on the move. Explosive getting to the second level and sealing pursuit. Executes with terrific timing, plays under control and consistently connects with moving targets. Getting him on the move should be a big part of what he’s asked to do in the NFL which should expand the scheme.

Power - Powerful core that enables him to torque his hips and redirect. I wouldn’t call his anchor soft but there are plenty of instances where it takes some extra effort to maintain the depth of the pocket. More of a positional blocker in the run game.

IQ - Three-year starter with experience at both guard and center and it shows. Love his alertness in pass protection which shines when he is uncovered. Always arrives on schedule with combos and getting into space.

Feet - Has impressive foot speed and mobility. Explosive worker climbing to the second level or getting to the perimeter. Maintains a wide base and it doesn’t narrow. Needs to be more intentional about moving his feet when engaged in the run game so they don’t get out of sync with his upper body.

Hands - Has enough pop in his punches and his timing/variance is sound. With that said, his lack of length presents some challenges with opponents being able to work into his frame.

Balance - Has natural leverage which helps him maintain balance. While his feet can get left behind a touch in the run game, he doesn’t fold at the waste or get sloppy with weight distribution in pass pro.

Versatility - Has considerable experience playing both guard and center but his best fit in the NFL comes as a center. Effective blocker in all phases, but particularly outstanding working on the move. Not a candidate for gap-power run schemes.

BEST TRAIT - Blocking in Space

WORST TRAIT - Length

RED FLAGS - None

NFL COMP - Rodney Hudson

Starting over 40 games with experience at both guard and center, Harris projects best to playing center in the NFL where he will see less situations where he is covered. For a team in search of an athletic center that thrives pulling and climbing to the second level while employing a zone run scheme, Harris is an exciting option. While he isn’t the most physically dominant run blocker and his anchor can be compromised in pass protection, Harris is highly competitive, technically-sound and his functional mobility is impressive. He may be a scheme-specific prospect, but he has the makings of a starter in the right offense in time.
It would be great if the drama train went past The Land for a change. Somebody else can entertain The Media Circus and Sideshow this year. The picks seem solid.
Versatile C/G backup that could push to start at right guard.
I saw a lot of hype with Harris being a round 2 or 3 guy...So a really nice pick up here (Heck I thought he was already drafted) Like many have mentioned, we have not depth inside...specially behind Trotter...so this def. helps...As mentioned by some, seems like he fits our scheme well...and can potentially aid at both C and RG.
Could be nice to not have to play Tretter on a bum ankle so he can actually take time off to get back healthy or just manage reps.

I wonder how many OL we are going to carry. What's the roster limit now? Did they actually bump it up or just discuss it?
Center is overlooked.

It is a key position. One that requires a unique skill set.

He may not be a Pouncey, but not many are. He could be Mike Babb good.

Good Pick.
The new CBA requires teams to have (at least) 8 OL active on gamedays.
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
The new CBA requires teams to have (at least) 8 OL active on gamedays.

8/45?
Active gameday rosters so to 48 in the new CBA.
Ty. Sir
You're welcome.
Let the record show that this is the pick we got for trading down three spots with the Colts.
This is what the Steelers have done many times over the years. Draft an OL in the later rounds and let him be a backup and learn. Then when you need a replacement down the road you already have one on the roster. Good pick for future.
I have a feeling he’s going to be a fan favorite
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Let the record show that this is the pick we got for trading down three spots with the Colts.

Hey, we need wheele pwayers, he, he hehee. Foobal. Foobal….Ohhhh….Geee, Geeee
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Peen? You ok? This post seems a little....well...drunk, to be honest. LOL.
Originally Posted By: Hamfist

I just got dinner going. The draft is over. I'm thinking of having a whiskey my ownself, while I ponder wtf I'm going to do with my time now that the draft is over and there's still no baseball in sight.

LOl….no not drunk at all..hey, how big are your woman's boobs?

Just messing around man. I am fine. Sorry if I insulted you or your girl asking about her boobs. Just kidding around. All boobs are good.
I know we agree there.
Fist pump on this end.
Maybe its me but this post makes no sense either .. I’m hoping your drunk now ... *L* ...
Oh ... fist bump here too ... thumbsup
I like the pick - I like the idea - I like this was a "freebie" and we still got Delpit.... Whether it all works out, no idea. Lots and lots to like though.
#attitude #loveit

+1 thumbsup
Soooo linebacker is not a issue?
[quote=DiamDawg]Maybe its me but this post makes no se

It makes all kinds of sense

Fist pumps are good, even if

in years past a few may have been aimed at the chin.

Love ya, Bro
Hey Peen, I think that we found a good candidate for your hybrid OL/FB ... wink ...

LOl….no not drunk at all..hey, how big are your woman's boobs?

Just messing around man. I am fine. Sorry if I insulted you or your girl asking about her boobs. Just kidding around. All boobs are good.
I know we agree there.
Fist pump on this end.

Well...pretty big, actually.

I'd say it's even more likely after the 2021 season where releasing Tretter would only count $1.625M against the cap and save $8.25M.

Two year grooming period.

That's what I saw. We cut him in 2021 and we're like 3 million savings verses keeping him for the year. Wouldn't make sense

BUT, 2022 the out looks far easier. Plus JC has had some injury issues. So, if he pans out, this gives us a backup center just in case
Film Room: How Nick Harris can fit the Browns offensive scheme
ByJAKE BURNS May 7

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-brow...heme-146928328/
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
If Nick Harris was 6'3, he'd have been near a first round pick. Harris is a spark plug. He's fun to watch. @Browns drafted a good one in the 5th round

@GeoffSchwartz

I agree...the guy had 3rd round grades nearly everywhere I looked.
Plus it seems like his athleticism and skill set fits us ideally
Think he can stick? Or is this PS candidate?
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
oh i think he’ll stick ... i think he’s Tretter’ s replacement
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg

I don't think we dare put him on PS.

Face it, a new regime doesn't put their players on the PS or cut them before they cut the pervious guys.

At least it usually works that way.

They want "real" football players.

Nick looks to be a guy who can develop.
The mix for RG is wide open. Teller, Forbes, Hubbard, and every other OL on the team without a starting position. I expect Harris will throw his helmet in the ring.
I agree. He’s a bit undersized but seems to be athletic, agile, and intense. Seems to me he’s an ideal fit to develop
Its important for these rookies with talent and I think Nick has excellent talent and a future with us when Tretter is ready to move over. Important for them to be tutored ONE POSITION and center has some nuances that he has to learn...LG RG pretty much can learn one position and easily transition to the other side. But I think its important for Harris to stick to Center first at least once he has that pretty much down in his transition he can start dabbling in OG.

I also would like to comment on the height all seem to be negative with...I think its important for the edges to have height and long arms but in the interior its a big time leverage advantage and the PIT so to say is all about individual battles. I think its a big time advantage to be short as long as he has the power and muscle to handle that position.

So Nick Harris dropping cause of his height...Good their misguided opinion is our Gain!!!

jmho - Low man WINS!
As fans we've wanted "real football players" for decades now. It's nice to be seeing it trend that way over the past few years.
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I agree. He’s a bit undersized but seems to be athletic, agile, and intense. Seems to me he’s an ideal fit to develop

I wouldn't say undersized. He is shorter by maybe a inch, but thick, low center of gravity.

Quick and nimble is maybe the #1 trait I look for in a center.
It’s also a big positive that his first OL coach in the pros is Callahan, who is regarded as one of the best.
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
It’s also a big positive that his first OL coach in the pros is Callahan, who is regarded as one of the best.

It can't hurt. Callahan will bring him to the best version of him as a football player.
yea having Callahan is Big for our OL ...
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
yea having Callahan is Big for our OL ...
i agree .. let’s hope it pays off
j/c:

It’s so nice to not even worry about holdouts anymore lol
It's a plus for us having Bill Callahan as our O-Line coach. He is one of the best and having 3 new starters it's even more important. Dante Scarnechia is considered to be one of the best of all time. When he 1st retired the Pats O-line went from being very good to below average, in one year, with the same personnel!! He was asked to come out of retirement and the following season they were again one of the best O-Lines so yes the O-line coach is very important for arguably the most important unit on the team.
So true about Scarnechia, Homewood. He might be the biggest loss this year for the Pats.
You bet Hammer. Scarnechia, I believe, was there before BB was and definitely before Brady. Over the last 20 years he may have been the 3rd most important guy right before BB and Brady and a lot of people outside of Pats territory probably never heard of him!
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
You bet Hammer. Scarnechia, I believe, was there before BB was and definitely before Brady. Over the last 20 years he may have been the 3rd most important guy right before BB and Brady and a lot of people outside of Pats territory probably never heard of him!

If he was so good. How come he was never a head coach. The guy must be a loser.

JK...that is just how some people think. I think this a classic example of a person knowing their strength and deciding that staying in their lane is the proper road.

Some people would make a terrible CEO, but are great as VP of sales. Nothing wrong with being VP of sales for a large company, nothing wrong with being O-line coach for a large company. Yes, a NFL team is a large company.

I don't know what the average pay for a offensive line coach might be, but I suspect it is pretty good. I'll bet all can live in a pretty nice spread, take a nice vacation, sock a good amount away for a rainy day. I don't think they are ever going to qualify for food stamps.

I actually tried to look it up. No real data on position coaches. Coordinators make around a $mil a year. I would bet a seasoned, in demand position coach makes near a half $mil or more, so the average might be $300,000?

It's a pretty secure position. If you are good, but get fired in a coaching change, you don't have a record to scare people off. Some other NFL team or top college program is going to call. Let the bidding begin.

You can live a pretty nice lifestyle on that.
Agreed. He was very good at what he did and may never had the desire to be a HC. Nothing wrong with that. He certainly made a name for himself doing what he did. Very highly respected.
OL is like a mini team within a team. They all have to be separated in their unity within their team. They have to be proud of being part of the UNIT. They all should have individual goals to make the UNIT of OL into one of the best in the NFL. That is why OL coaches are revered within the coaching family. Out of all my coaching duties outside of the youth leagues. I had the most fun coaching OL...to this day my past OL members like one called Fridge...contacts me several times a year to see how I'm doing and when we communicate on facebook he always puts the heart in any reaction and tells me in private message, love you coach. I saved his life as he was tipping the scales close to 400 - I made him lose weight he was an All Star OL man every year. Yes I taught technique but it was our OL we did everything on our own...we ran our laps together we hung out. Fridge had no father like the majority of our players and he looked up to me in a fatherly fashion.
He now is around 250 and looks great as he is 6'2" and has a great job that I helped him get. I call him Mini-Fridge now....lol laugh

That is why OL coaches that are good just stay on forever and are sought out - True OL coaches don't think about HC and other duties if they do I can guarantee you they Miss the environment of the OL. I know Callahan dabbled in the HC and I think he is right at home being an OL coach. May he get his team within the team on the right track and being One for all and All for One...
Glad to here your opinion on the topic EO. I certainly agree with what you stated. By the way, how are you feeling?
FWIW...I believe Drew Forbes will be the starting right guard.

Just a hunch... brownie
What is a Drew Forbes?

Wouldn't it be a Drawn Forbes??
https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/players-roster/drew-forbes/
Wish I could say I'm feeling good. But golf started finally went out last Friday and did some good walking even with using a golf cart. I can barely walk but I can still hit the golf ball. Thanks for asking. I will get back into some shape sooner or later. Been sequestered for safety and became a couch potato for 2 months - no more, I could care less about the virus. Will golf my way into some shape. wink Not coaching, maybe some individual coaching once school starts or some Semi Pro guys who wish to try a shot at NFL. But so far all of them can't even make my warm up and I can see it in their eyes and they quit. Got a kid though who is 20 just out of HS 6'6" 340 and athletic could be a potential LT but he is spoiled so far as he is lazy but gets away with it because of his size. Was helping a young kid 2 years ago, Freshman in private HS and single mom has dreams of him getting scholarship cause she cannot afford school. Might be able to get into Stonybrook State Univ. as they got a good program. But I am too out of shape right now as I like to be hands on.

Anyways got to think about myself right now. Heal up and get some work. Screw this virus. Can't even go to Church and when open they only allowing 10 as NY is a police state.

© DawgTalkers.net