DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: lampdogg How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/09/20 12:14 AM
I’ll start the discussion by stating we need to put up more points than Baltimore.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/09/20 12:18 AM
Prayer.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/09/20 12:18 AM
Baker to OBJ for TD. Chubb/Hunt run for TD. Repeat these often.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/09/20 12:32 AM
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
I’ll start the discussion by stating we need to put up more points than Baltimore.

Can't argue w that.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/09/20 12:45 AM
The Ravens are 8 point favorites.

That is tied with Bucs and Colts as the heaviest favorites in week 1.

Playing without fans in the stands at least takes away home field advantage and crowd noise. So there's that.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/09/20 12:46 AM
Refs, this is the same thread vers posted. Could we delete this one?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/09/20 12:48 AM
Sorry lamp. I was typing mine out when you posted yours. At the time, there were zeor threads on this forum. I didn't mean to step on your toes. I think you know that, but just wanted you to know for sure.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/09/20 01:42 AM
by watching baseball.
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/09/20 01:48 AM
Can anyone else believe the start of the season is here? I've been doing and going through a lot and someone said something about the game. I said what game? Then I saw it was our first game of the season!

It feels weird cause I'm so used to the mental build up of preseason. I'm Hella excited for this weekend.

We must pound the rock and commit to the run, gash them! Then go play action. ooo Win, lose, or tie, it will be good to have football back. Browns football in particular.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/09/20 01:56 AM
I had an opportunity to umpire 2 softball games Sunday. (Hillsdale college is doing a training/scouting thing here in the morning, then 2 games in the afternoon. How it's fine, I don't know)

I texted the guy that asked me if I would do them: "Uh, you know the Browns play, right?" (he knows me). He replied "Oh, no I didn't. I'll find someone else, thanks."
Posted By: EveDawg Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/09/20 02:08 AM
I will be driving back from Tampa on Sunday so I won't have the opportunity to watch the game at the bar. I'll be listening on my radio. Thank God for bluetooth.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/09/20 02:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Sorry lamp. I was typing mine out when you posted yours. At the time, there were zeor threads on this forum. I didn't mean to step on your toes. I think you know that, but just wanted you to know for sure.

No worries, man. I felt no toes being stepped on. smile
Posted By: jaybird Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/09/20 02:53 AM
Maybe Lamar will get a false positive covid test smile (I want him out of the game but don't want to wish any ill will)
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/09/20 03:12 AM
Control the clock.

We have the RBs. We have the WRs/TEs to take some well timed quick shots for a score and reliable hands to get us out of a jam
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/09/20 08:21 AM
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Baker to OBJ for TD. Chubb/Hunt run for TD. Repeat these often.

I don't thnk OBJ is the best option.

If I'm the Ravens D, my breakdown is "keep the Runningbacks in front of us, (Chubb and Hunt) and drop a spy back to wait for Baker to throw an int.

Cover anything deep, leave open the short outs, The Browns hate/ are inefficient on short outs, and OBJ, that's probably not his bread and butter.

And last year, OBJ disappeard for large chunks of games.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/09/20 08:37 AM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

Playing without fans in the stands at least takes away home field advantage and crowd noise. So there's that.

What is the over/under on total points of both teams. I think take the Over.
.. I don't bet.
If I bet, I'd take the Ravens to 11, push at a 12 point Ravens favorite, this is a road game,

I love my Browns, is there any way I can think a new coach and a Corona Summer won't interfere with there preparedness.
Do I also have questions about the center and whole left 3 of the offensive line; yes.

I don't think it's about Chubb, or Baker or Myles, or even OBJ, it's about continuity.

( according to a Darwinian type hopeful monster theory, I could reason a lack of all preseason games would cause the Browns to play well in an opener.)
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/09/20 04:01 PM
Toughest game on paper IMO. Stopping Andrews is a big part of it ... I’d make Lamar and the WRs beat us. I also would try anything to keep Lamar in the pocket
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/09/20 05:57 PM
I re-watched both games vs. Baltimore from last year yesterday.

To win the game I think we need to do the following...

-Control the clock with the run game.
-Limit big plays from TE's.
-Win the turnover battle.

If we do those 3 things we win.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/09/20 07:19 PM
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

O/U is 48.5
Posted By: FATE Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/09/20 08:31 PM
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

O/U is 48.5

Never mind - was reading the all-time series backwards...

Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/09/20 08:43 PM
We just need to score more points than they do and then we'll have a pretty good chance.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/09/20 09:05 PM
Maybe it's just the battered fan syndrome, but I'll consider it a 'win' if we can at least hang with them. I'm not going to get my hopes up when the Ravens were considered favorites in the playoffs while we lost our last game to the Bengals. Toss in the overhaul in the offseason and little time to prepare... and then sprinkling in grumblings about a soft TC....

Yeah, we may have the talent, but I'm HOPING we can hang with them.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/09/20 09:49 PM
Posted By: mgh888 Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/09/20 11:07 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Maybe it's just the battered fan syndrome, but I'll consider it a 'win' if we can at least hang with them. I'm not going to get my hopes up when the Ravens were considered favorites in the playoffs while we lost our last game to the Bengals. Toss in the overhaul in the offseason and little time to prepare... and then sprinkling in grumblings about a soft TC....

Yeah, we may have the talent, but I'm HOPING we can hang with them.

I sort of agree. I hate the 'moral victories' ... hate hearing Hue and Freddie and Petine how hard we played and platitudes. But - this is really a game where we can lose and see some real positives or signs of hope at least. . . . for example, as much as I think our OL is going to struggle to look like they are on the same page and cohesive I really *hope* to see Wills pancake someone and spring Chubb or Hunt for a huge run. Not long till we find out.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/10/20 01:39 PM
We might be saying the same thing, but I also don't like the 'moral victories'. My post came from the perspective that I think this first game could very easily get real ugly. I'm just hoping that doesn't happen.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/10/20 01:54 PM
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

John Madden is that you? tongue
Posted By: slick Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/10/20 02:13 PM
Doesn't look good. We have arguably the worst linebackers core in the nfl. The same argument could be made for our safties. Greedy William's is banged up, and I dont think jc tretter has practiced one snap this training camp. Although I could be wrong on that one since I have not followed camp this year the way I usually would. Combine all that with new coaching staff.

Ravens 34
Browns 9
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/10/20 04:17 PM
Don't think we'll win, but hope all of our TE's are saying, "That was fun," afterwards.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/10/20 04:24 PM
How can we beat Baltimore?

Pray.

Posted By: SuperBrown Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/10/20 04:28 PM
Seriously,

Run the Damn ball!

Use the Tight Ends!

Use the Tennessee playoff gameplan for Lamar!
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/10/20 04:32 PM
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

Use the Tennessee 2019 playoff gameplan for Lamar.

You mean our gameplan?
Tennessee simply did what we've done to them twice, but failed to do the last time. With a healthy Garrett and Vernon, plus added depth, we should be able to lock it down, again.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/10/20 04:34 PM
NO! THIS:

Posted By: SuperBrown Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/10/20 05:08 PM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/10/20 05:49 PM
j/c...

This old trick.

Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/10/20 05:50 PM
If it doesn't matter, why does the media keep harping on it as if it matters?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/10/20 05:56 PM
Needling them.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/10/20 06:03 PM
No, it's because they're stupid.

If it doesn't matter who calls the plays, then it is stupid to repeatedly ask about it.
Why aren't they asking who is bringing the water bottles to the OLine during timeouts? Clearly, this is of great importance, too.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/10/20 06:09 PM
Not being snarky, but why do you think it's not important to who calls the plays?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/10/20 06:15 PM
I don't feel that way.
I'm pointing out the stupidity of the media (see Darryl Ruiter, above) being upset that Stef isn't sharing the information of who will be calling the plays while simultaneously taking shots at him for thinking it matters.

It it matters, he's right to not share it.
If it doesn't matter, as Ruiter alludes, then why is he taking shots or being butthurt over Stef not sharing... for that matter, why is he bother to seek the information, at all?

There isn't a scenario there where Ruiter isn't an idiot for that tweet.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/10/20 06:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Not being snarky, but why do you think it's not important to who calls the plays?

I think because anytime the media writes about it, they add the snarky comment how the opponent doesn't care who it is.

So if the opponent doesn't care who is calling plays, why does it matter who is calling plays?

Daryl Ruiter
@RuiterWrongFAN
The #Browns legit believe not saying who will call plays gives them a competitive advantage. So on brand. Somewhere John Harbaugh is laughing hysterically.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/10/20 06:19 PM
Okay. I misinterpreted what you meant.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/10/20 06:22 PM
Posted By: oobernoober Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/10/20 06:35 PM
It IS important who is calling the plays, but not to opponents. Harbaugh couldn't care less.

And it's via that line of thinking that the Browns are mocked for this. There's no competitive advantage. Either KS thinks there is when there isn't, or they legit don't know who is going to do it. Either option is horrifying, but also kinda par for the course for this team.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/10/20 08:25 PM
MC Hammer's 'Pray'!

Also, the inspiration behind Notorious B.I.G's 'Juicy'!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/10/20 09:55 PM
Nice idea to follow TEN’s script ... if we can
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/11/20 06:09 PM
Please, Just win.

This has to stop.

Week 1 Games Since 1999:
1999 - L
2000 - L
2001 - L
2002 - L
2003 - L
2004 - W
2005 - L
2006 - L
2007 - L
2008 - L
2009 - L
2010 - L
2011 - L
2012 - L
2013 - L
2014 - L
2015 - L
2016 - L
2017 - L
2018 - T
2019 - L
Record: 1-19-1
Posted By: Swish Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/11/20 06:33 PM
run chubb and hunt often.

i think a big problem people are having is the SAME problem they had last year:

underestimate Lamar's growth. y'all wouldn't give him credit due to what you saw in his rookie season. he turned that into a MVP year his 2nd season. now y'all talking about the dude as if somehow he's not gonna grow as a passer in his 3rd season based on his 2nd.

y'all do know he's only 23, right?

he made a crap ton of plays in the middle of the field, in the pocket. so i'm trying to understand why we got people still trying to use that as a strategy against him.

do you guys want us to lose? stop the run FIRST, and make him throw to the outside on 3rd and long situations. if he's constantly playing ahead of the sticks, he's gonna torch us in the middle, side, behind your grandmom, anything.

limit his and his teams ability to run and make him throw it from 3rd and long situations, not 3rd and short.
Posted By: Swish Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/11/20 06:42 PM
make lamar roll out of the pocket, but force him to run out of real estate by covering the flat.

remember how mayfield had that nasty habit of rolling to the right and fading out?

try to get lamar to roll to the left, but make him scan the field and throw the football instead of allowing him to take off down the field.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/11/20 07:13 PM

Posted By: myka Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/11/20 07:39 PM
IF (HUGE IF) both teams play at their capabilities we should absolutely DESTROY the Ravens.

Sadly, that rarely happens for the Browns though, something always happens like injury or coaching issues. This year it's Covid + being up against Harbaugh who is trying to make his case for top 10 all-time coaches.

It did happen last year though. If not for Freddie blowing some calls late game we should've beaten the Ravens by 30, in Baltimore, when they had a full crowd. They added a few weapons, but so did we. If this weren't a Covid season I think they'd only be favored by 4, but it is, so I'm preparing for the worst but hoping for the best.

So I guess to more directly answer the question...

We will beat Baltimore if our players properly learn and execute from training camp and weekly installation.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/11/20 08:20 PM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
Please, Just win.

This has to stop.

Week 1 Games Since 1999:
1999 - L
2000 - L
2001 - L
2002 - L
2003 - L
2004 - W
2005 - L
2006 - L
2007 - L
2008 - L
2009 - L
2010 - L
2011 - L
2012 - L
2013 - L
2014 - L
2015 - L
2016 - L
2017 - L
2018 - T
2019 - L
Record: 1-19-1

Too tough, and we already know, but

I wish there was a 2nd column for years with A new head Coach, and a 3rd column for years with a Rookie Starting Quarterback.

Who the heck did they play in 2004?
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/11/20 08:37 PM
On September 12, the Browns defeated the Baltimore Ravens, 20–3, marking the team's only Week 1 win since returning to the NFL in 1999. In the two decades since the Browns returned to the league, the Browns went 1–18–1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Cleveland_Browns_season
Posted By: lampdogg Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/11/20 10:37 PM
I remember Garcia hitting Quincy with a long TD pass. It wasn’t the usual “Quincy Morgan football” play. He bobbled it of course, but didn’t drop it.
Posted By: myka Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/13/20 03:54 AM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
On September 12, the Browns defeated the Baltimore Ravens, 20–3, marking the team's only Week 1 win since returning to the NFL in 1999. In the two decades since the Browns returned to the league, the Browns went 1–18–1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Cleveland_Browns_season

I was there with my family. It was one of the best days of my life lol
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/13/20 08:38 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Prayer.

God hates the Browns.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/13/20 08:53 PM
In retrospect: we cant
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/13/20 09:27 PM
Bats.. brass knuckles and helmet smashing... maybe.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/14/20 01:30 AM
Prayer.

God hates the Browns.

LOL...........
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/14/20 02:22 AM
Browns could assemble a coaching staff that everyone who is in a spot, really deserves to be in that spot.

I look at all these sidelines, and all the other NFL coaches, they have a look on their face like they are a chef running a kitchen, and then Clevelands head coach always looks like he's something else.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/14/20 02:31 AM
Stefanski has been very unimpressive so far.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/14/20 02:46 AM

Kicking has to improve.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/14/20 12:44 PM
Try bringing a kicker, a QB, a coach, a DC, and a receiver who catches with you. Then we can talk . . . .
Posted By: oobernoober Re: How can we beat Baltimore? - 09/14/20 01:16 PM
I'll say one thing that didn't help with my heart health yesterday.

You have teams like the Browns, who can't seem to get out of their own way when it comes to assembling a roster (among other things). Then you have the Ravens, who identified an issue at linebacker (and here's teh crazy part) fixed it. Drafted 2 guys that could (and probably will) be studs. Had a locker room issue, addressed it.

Granted, those things become much easier to handle when you're problems list isn't every single position on the roster, plus coaching staff. But at the end of the day, it's just that simple for some teams and not for others.
© DawgTalkers.net