DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Versatile Dog Week 3 Match-up - 09/23/20 12:03 PM
I hate to just post a link, but this article contains videos and charts. It's a pretty good breakdown by Ellis L. Williams.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/09...y-match-up.html
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/23/20 01:03 PM
I thought it was kinda A.D.D. and skipped over any sort of real breakdown while also getting things kinda backwards. It's like all the author did was stare at some stat lines, a few tweets, and the list of who they drafted to craft the article.

It mentions their DLine, but nothing about what makes them tick or why we should take the entire unit seriously - except that a depleted Eagles line couldn't run against them. It takes the fact that Arizona ran on them easily and dismisses it by giving the success to Murray, and based on those two simplistic things it basically writes off Chubb, Hunt, and this OLine in this blocking scheme. It doesn't even attempt to look at our TEs and WRs against their back seven or the impact that will have on preventing them from ever putting 8 in the box.

At the same time, the author seems to quickly gloss over the fact that one entire side of their OLine is down and our DLine is kinda good, too... this is something some guy named Garrett should feast on.... and, it's a case where THEY will need to keep a guy in to protect (like the author seems to think we will have to do with our OLine). Then, they have one - ONE - WR worth noting and he will have to contend with Denzel Ward who also happens to be a Buckeye and probably has more than a little experience covering Terry McLaurin in practices. Then, it ignores that we're actually getting a bunch of guys back healthy... namely our #2 CB which moves the guy that had been filling in there back to the slot.

By no means am I calling this game a slam dunk for us, but it seems like the author played up every aspect of that team while outright ignoring everything on our team that counters it while simultaneously ignoring all of our strengths.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/23/20 02:37 PM
Must have fat fingered reply instead of edit.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/23/20 02:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
They seem to like to use a lot of motion, especially a jet sweep action. So far they've not handed to the man in motion, rather using him to distract LBs on inside runs, but I expect them to try to catch us off the edge this week.

Haskins best throw seems to be the slant as mentioned in the article. I'd play a lot of inside technique against McLaurin with over the top help.

It's hard to get a feel for how good their DL is. Wentz looked pretty awful. I think some of it was not trusting his rookie receivers (Reagor and Hightower) but he was holding the ball forever. I'm not quite sure how our OL will matchup.

The Redskins also seem to blitz pretty frequently. Having everyone on the same page with hot routes will likely be important.

I'm thinking Hunt chipping Young and going into an angle route could be an effective play for us. If the protection can hold up, deep passes should be there for us. Apke didn't look very good at safety from what I saw, and range isn't Collins' forte.

Our interior DL will likely be big for us. Their OL is banged up, and no QB likes pressure in his face. Haskins is the least elusive/mobile QB we've faced. He's not a statue, but he's not going to be making too many people miss.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/23/20 03:06 PM
I think it's a game we "should" win ... so I am interested to see if we can find a way to win, or find a way to lose.

I am also interested to see Chase Young and how good he is and how good he looks like he might become.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/23/20 03:54 PM

Andrew Berry and the Browns created a template of what they wanted the team to look like.

They invested heavily on offense to support Baker. They signed the best RT they could find in Conklin.
They drafted Wills high in the first at LT. They signed the best TE available in Hooper. They extended Hunt. Have Chubb. Signed Jarvis and traded for Odell.

Big offensive pieces.

Against the Bengals their offense reflected their design. Heavy run based. Fullback. Play action. And spread the ball around with their receivers.

That is what this team is designed to do.

Defensively they are supposed to apply pressure. Use dime and nickle packages. Depend upon their corners who are both high picks.

The question is will the Browns offense execute against Washington's defense?

Defensively can we rattle Haskins into forced errors and turnovers?

We are at home. We have had ten days to prepare. We have more talent.

We should win this game.

The only way we lose is self inflected errors like turnovers.

I don't believe Washington can stop our offense.

And I think Haskins is inexperienced and will make mistakes.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/23/20 05:23 PM
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/23/20 07:11 PM
I'm pretty sure I noticed Ward not switching sides in the Cincy game. Not sure if that was true, but I made a mental note of it when I thought I noticed it.

Not a big fan of this in general. I honestly don't know why every single defensive coach does not copy Belichek. If you have a shut down guy, put him on the second best player and have him follow that player all game. Put two guys on the best player.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/23/20 07:46 PM
I am not positive about this, but from what I have seen, Ward has been lining up at LCB and Mitchell has been at RCB. I don't recall seeing it the other way around.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/23/20 07:57 PM
This game could be a Big referendum on the Defensive coordinator, scheme, and overall performance of the Browns, on the defensive side.

Oh, and, special could always mess things up if they don't stay focused.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/23/20 08:30 PM
That's my recollection as well.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/23/20 09:10 PM
This DC franchise is the same franchise that held Barry Sanders to almost nothing in playoff games,
if they want to stop the run I think they may be able.

My question is will the Browns give up on the run, if the Browns think it is not working.
A lot of games teams give up on the Run in a bad situation because it goes nowhere for a while,

While I believe in making the defense continue to make those run stopping plays, because eventually they may get worn down
and a lot of times, 2 yard gains, and tackles behing the line of scrimmage will lead to teams giving up entirely on the run game, instead of continuing to go back to it, especially if they are trailing.

the whole thing is a balance, like balancing a surfer on a surfboard on a wave

it's easy to just abandon the run,
but the best waves, look like they overtake the surfer until you see the surfer shoot out the end of the crashing whitecap.

Just like a Running game coming to life after the defense has held it down for the whole day beforehand.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/23/20 09:27 PM
Just a side-thought, Vers: if we beat Washington, we will be above .500 FOR THE FIRST TIME since mid-December, 2014!

We’ll be celebrating in Cleveland!
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/23/20 11:39 PM
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Just a side-thought, Vers: if we beat Washington, we will be above .500 FOR THE FIRST TIME since mid-December, 2014!

Good lord that is a depressing stat. Holy moly.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/24/20 12:02 AM
The included video is a general critique of the defense but it seems to have immediate relevnace to this Sunday's game. It contains some specific criticisms. I haven't had the chance to go back and rewatch the game since viewing it. He gives his analysis and it will have to stand on its own. I did think it was interesting and I will be watching to see if its borne out with the return of the injured defenders.

Posted By: mgh888 Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/24/20 12:22 AM
"A Bermuda triangle of bad coverage" !

I liked that podcast. I need to earmark him. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/24/20 12:43 AM
That's a pretty good analysis.

I have to see more, but I have had similar theories.

--I agree about Thomas. He's really been picked on in coverage. I like the idea of putting Ward in the slot at times. I think Kevin Johnson would be okay there, too. Not sure about Mitchell. I do wish we would have kept Carey. He was good in the slot. Bad outside, but effective in the slot. I would not put Greedy in the slot.

--I agree about Goodson. He's terrible. I said it when we acquired him. We read all the fluff articles this off-season and in TC about how good he is, but he stinks. He is okay as a special teams guy and a backup run defender. No more than that. We miss Joe Schobert.

--Your guy mentioned Sendejo and Joseph as part of the problem. Then, he kind of gave them a pass. I think Sendejo has been freaking terrible. He is way too slow in his reaction times. Also, Joseph is a liability in the passing game.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/24/20 01:09 AM
Carey? Eric Murray?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/24/20 01:12 AM
I'm not sure what you are asking.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/24/20 01:18 AM
I thought you were talking about Eric Murray when you said Carey. I now realize you’re talking about T.J. Carrie.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/24/20 01:21 AM
Oh. Sorry for the misspelling. I am actually a good speller, but for some reason, I really struggle w/spelling names.

But, since you mentioned him..........Murray was good in the slot, as well.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/24/20 01:41 AM
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

Almost 6 years, it could have to do with the defense needing to get more turnovers.
Posted By: The Collector Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/24/20 03:05 AM
IMO this is a game that they SHOULD win...

Just feed the rock to Hunt and Chubb and run it down their throat. They don't have that great of run Defense either. So let them do what they do.

It's likely that washington will do more passing again than running. Like most have seen, the Browns Run D is pretty solid... also because opponents know that they can throw.

As long as the Browns can make sure to not give up the big play, this game is easily winnable.

Hopefully the secondary will have matured more and communication is better? We'll see.

The Washington line isn't that great either, and Haskins is getting hit a lot right now. If Myles and company can bring the right pressure maybe they can rattle his cage in the game so it also affects his passing.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/24/20 03:32 AM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I thought you were talking about Eric Murray when you said Carey. I now realize you’re talking about T.J. Carrie.

Didn't we also draft a Don Carey that got poached from our PS?
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/24/20 03:42 AM
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Didn't we also draft a Don Carey that got poached from our PS?

Yes we drafted him. He was poached when we cut him to try and put him on IR.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/24/20 09:09 AM
I’m hoping the addition of Johnson might help our nickel package a bit. We just have a few guys who can be exploited so much
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/24/20 12:55 PM
One of the biggest issues I've seen with us so far is that we have an offense that is built to get an early lead and sustain it, but we have a defense that is far better against the run than the pass.

So, now we have an offense that, when it works, forces the other team to pass, but the other team can pass effectively against our poor pass defense.

To be able to sustain success in this game, our offense will need to continue putting points on the board and taking time off the clock, and I think our DL will have to set the pace for the defense by getting to Haskins. If he has time to throw, we are in trouble.

We can't keep giving up 30+ points per game and expect to win consistently.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/24/20 03:38 PM
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
So, now we have an offense that, when it works, forces the other team to pass, but the other team can pass effectively against our poor pass defense.

Never thought of it this way. This is an astute observation.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/24/20 04:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

--Your guy mentioned Sendejo and Joseph as part of the problem. Then, he kind of gave them a pass. I think Sendejo has been freaking terrible. He is way too slow in his reaction times. Also, Joseph is a liability in the passing game.

About Sendejo, as bad as he's played so far, I'm curious as to why Redwine's name isn't getting tossed around. He must not offer much if he isn't getting consideration over Sendejo.

Also, in his youtube video after the one that I posted Quincy suggests that Malcolm Smith might be a better option for calling the defense than Goodson. That would alleviate dependance on Goodson being on the field for 3 or 4 downs. Just spitballing...
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/24/20 04:05 PM
Originally Posted By: mgh888
"A Bermuda triangle of bad coverage" !

I liked that podcast. I need to earmark him. Thanks for sharing.

To Subsribe:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxSQZf38voCR7s4EMsc4TDw
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/24/20 05:44 PM
Thanks Cap!
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/24/20 07:18 PM
Matchup to Watch: Denzel Ward vs. Terry McLaurin

After the Browns emerged victorious in the Battle of Ohio last Thursday night, all of the focus shifts to the Battle of the Buckeyes on Sunday as wide receiver Terry McLaurin leads the Washington Football Team to Cleveland for a showdown with Pro Bowl cornerback Denzel Ward.

I would be remiss if I did not also mention that Washington quarterback Dwayne Haskins is also a former Ohio State Buckeye.

McLaurin had an impressive rookie season in which he caught 58 passes for 919 yards and seven touchdowns while averaging 15.8 yards per catch. Thus far in 2020, he is on pace for an even better season as the primary offensive weapon for the Washington Football Team. Through two games, McLaurin leads the team with 17 targets, 12 catches, 186 receiving yards and a touchdown. He has more catches than the next two wide receivers in Washington combined (10) and has more receiving yards than the next two pass catchers combined (166). In fact, McLaurin has accounted for 46.4 percent of the Redskins' passing yards so far this season, the highest rate of any player in the NFL.

McLaurin is coming off of one of the best games of his career, as he caught a career-best seven of his 10 Week 2 targets for 125 yards (second most of his career) and a touchdown against the Arizona Cardinals. Unfortunately for McLaurin, there may be no bigger "cooler" in the NFL at cornerback than Ward.

Through two games this year, Ward has allowed an average of three catches for 36 yards per game. When locking up with a true No. 1 like A.J. Green, Ward always seems to elevate his game. He held Green to 14 yards and two catches on five targets on Thursday Night Football and forced four incompletions against all receivers with his tight coverage.

Now, it must be noted that Ward has played exclusively at left cornerback through two games this year, so if the Football Team moves McLaurin to the other side, he likely will have to deal with Terrance "Money" Mitchell. Through two games, Mitchell has been targeted 14 times but has surrendered only five catches for 33 yards total. Like Ward, Mitchell locked down Green in Week 2 by not allowing a single catch on five targets. It is also possible that Greedy Williams (shoulder) returns to the lineup this week and would be in the spot Mitch has been occupying so effectively in his absence.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/matchup-to-watch-denzel-ward-vs-terry-mclaurin
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/24/20 08:52 PM
Say it out loud, The 2-1 Browns give up 30 points a game,
Or

The 1-2 Browns give up 30 points a game,

Conclusion, they have to find a way to hold the Redskins to Less than 30

actually, figure the Browns have to hold the Wtfs Wash, Team, Football
to 23 or less to average less than 30 through 3 games,

They need a Defense this week people?

I'm picking the Redskins in this matchup if I had a pick em pool,
it's easy, week 3, every year, you see matchups, a team may be 2-0, and another 0-2 in a contest,
and you figure, sure, maybe the Texans aren't really bad enough to be 0-3 and maybe the Ravens aren't really good enouth to be 3-0, and if both of those work out, the "more likely" is what you should pick.

Either way.

Ron Rivera, (not Dom Irera), is the WFT coach, Stefanski is the Browns'

Either, Browns defense holds the skins to 23 or less,
OR
Browns lose and are 1-2

Seems the only way to look at it.

I don't think the Browns are going to be 2-1 and giving up an avg of 30+ per game, through 2, they are giving up 34.

Man! that one year I kept the scoring avgs of all the teams in the NFL week by week, longhand, Man I could really pick games that year.

Through 2 games the Browns are giving up 34.0 pts per game,
and scoring 20.5 pts per game, and have a 1-1 record.

OH, This game is soo going to be a loss, stinks, pfff, oh well.

Teams that score 20 and give up 34 don't stay at 500, the end I don't care who they are playing, really stinks,

Some games start to really stand out, I'm not sure what the skins did, I'll take a look.

Anything can happen, This is going to be a DOGFIGHT, stinks I may have to miss it.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/24/20 09:16 PM
JC...from what I know from Washington

Their Dline is perhaps one of the most talented...especially now that San Frans has been hit by injury...You got Payne and Allen inside, Chase Young...and perhaps the most underrated DE/OLB the past decade (Ryan Kerrigan) Although they are scaling his play back due to age, he is still a savvy tough veteran.

LBs are nothing too much to write about...Bostic is a steady veteran (and when playing for the Steelers, he really seemed to grow)

Landon Collins leads that secondary...saw him bait the opposing QB last week, and jumped in to snag the interception. Apke is raw, Kendall Fuller is a good corner when he is healthy, I think a lot here are familiar with Mooreland and Moreau when draft talk was circling...I recall several really liking the two of them.

On the Oline...Moses is a big powerful guy at RT, I can't see Myles overpowering him. I was actually surprised by Moses mobility last week, not sure if he cut some weight...But he moved to the second level with ease and sealed the LB right out. Shereff out is a huge help, I'm not sure whom is all playing inside, I know their LT Christian is a more athletic OT, but he can be beat as he's still learning his role.

I remember Logan Thomas in college, as he was supposed to be the next Cam Newton. He has actually done a really good job morphing into a TE...Sound blocker....Looks like he cut his fat as well.

At RB Gibson has looked good imho, rather quick in and out.

A lot here are hip to Scary Terry (being Buckeye country and all) I know Sims has done well as their #2, however he may not play. I can't think of any of their WRs besides Quinn, and he doesn't scare me one bit.

We should be able to pull the W out..."Should" being the key word
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/25/20 12:02 AM
If we get a DB back or two, we will be in a much better spot with Mack.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/26/20 04:15 AM
Posted By: myka Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/26/20 05:09 AM
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

Poor Higgins. On most teams when you have a really great season exhibiting chemistry with the #1 Overall pick you get MORE playtime not punished.

I wonder if he's a jerk or something? lol
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/26/20 11:56 AM
I think he's just getting outplayed by Hodge. Nothing more, nothing less.

I feel bad for him because he said he had higher money offers from other teams, but Baker convinced him to stay. And now he's hardly seeing any snaps.

I said in another post that you can tell from Stefanski's pressers who he likes and doesn't like. He does his best to do his poker face thing, but you can tell. He really likes Hodge.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/26/20 12:36 PM
So if we get 30, then we win; if they get 30 they win. (Probably.) We need D this week. And we need to prevail in a track meet. The run/pass mix is better if we can avoid being in a blatant catch-up scenario. Maybe Hunt outside more early to run the Nameless hard chasing him.

Unleash The Elf! brownie
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/26/20 12:45 PM
Originally Posted By: myka

Poor Higgins. On most teams when you have a really great season exhibiting chemistry with the #1 Overall pick you get MORE playtime not punished.

I really enjoyed Higgins in his breakout year (2018 I think?)

Last year the little we saw of him, he just didn't see the same. I recall a game he played, announcers were stating he ran the route wrong, or the wrong route...Obviously it's pure speculation...But to me it seems he spent more time practicing his red zone celebration vs the playbook. In all honesty, I don't know what happened with him.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/26/20 12:54 PM
Quote:
This DC franchise is the same franchise that held Barry Sanders to almost nothing in playoff games, if they want to stop the run I think they may be able.

Yes, but they're playing the same Franchise that won 8 Championships and had the greatest running back of all time!

willynilly notallthere brownie
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/26/20 12:58 PM
Denzel Ward questionable to play Sunday with groin injury

Link
Posted By: myka Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/26/20 03:49 PM
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs
Originally Posted By: myka

I really enjoyed Higgins in his breakout year (2018 I think?)

Last year the little we saw of him, he just didn't see the same. I recall a game he played, announcers were stating he ran the route wrong, or the wrong route...Obviously it's pure speculation...But to me it seems he spent more time practicing his red zone celebration vs the playbook. In all honesty, I don't know what happened with him.

Yeah, I've heard similar, but if a player truly is sucking that bad then you cut him, whereas now 3 different coaches have elected to keep him on the starting roster. Gotta be an attitude problem or something
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/27/20 09:28 AM
Hodge must block well or do some intangible stuff well. He’s gotten more and more PT
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/27/20 11:40 AM
He's also our fastest WR.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/27/20 01:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
He's also our fastest WR.

Fast, big and willing STer.

I think Hodge is out-playing Higgins in practice..and I'm a big Higgins fan.

For the first time in a long time - maybe even STR - I feel like the coaches and FO are in sync and if one guy (a favy even) is passed by another guy (maybe lesser-known) it is due to performance and not some odd favoritism or dog house.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking tho.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/27/20 01:59 PM
Higgins is one a 1 year deal.

Hodges is under team control for (IIRC) 3 years after this. It makes sense that if they are anywhere close, that they would work to develop Hodges.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/27/20 03:03 PM
J/c
I just want to be on record before kickoff. Due to I injuries two little known depth DL we need to flash today. Vincent Taylot DT, #96 and Joe Jackson DE, #91.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/27/20 03:52 PM
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
J/c
I just want to be on record before kickoff. Due to I injuries two little known depth DL we need to flash today. Vincent Taylot DT, #96 and Joe Jackson DE, #91.

Good points...Saw Jackson often last week, don't recall Taylor but it's harder to see the interior DL on TV. I mean if those guys step it up, we can finally have an adequate "wave" rotation until Vernon and Claybourne get back at least.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Week 3 Match-up - 09/27/20 09:24 PM
We got defensive impact from unexpected players except GRex
© DawgTalkers.net