DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Swish Post Game - 09/27/20 07:55 PM
Myles Garrett had a great game today.

Chubb and hunt once again carried the offense to a W.

I think the baker-OBJ connection was better. They looked more in sync.

Didn’t like mayfields pocket presence today. He had clean pockets but was all over the place. Not asked to do a lot today.

Overall, great W. We’re over .500!!!!
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 07:58 PM
We have holes, and we have problems, and we may not win many games against good teams, but at least it looks like we're building something finally.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 07:59 PM
Believe it I predicted the Exact Score 34-20 thumbsup
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 08:00 PM
Our ground game is the key. Baker throwing less than 25 times will keep the pressure off him and he can play free and rely on running game. Myles needs to stay at rde. I care less what a rotation guy has to play. You don’t move your best player from his position. Parkey has been exactly what we need. I think stefanski did a good job adjusting. I think he’s going to be good. Our linebackers and secondary need talent
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 08:00 PM
Garrett A+ - Chubb/Hunt A+ - Baker A - LB Coverage A
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 08:01 PM
Myles got the most pressure on the guards. Let him move and do his thing.
Posted By: Hamfist Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 08:01 PM
Only caught the second half, but, it looks like they are building on last week. The WFT front four is probably one of the best in the NFL, so to be able to move the ball on the ground against them is a very good sign.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 08:01 PM
Forgot Parkey has been a Godsend A+
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 08:03 PM
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist

This is false, all his plays came from rde over LT
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 08:07 PM
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist

This is false, all his plays came from rde over LT

Yes, just keep him over there.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 08:12 PM
overall good game... solid defense most of the game... offense looked pretty good... closed out the game on the ground and protected the ball.

first time over .500 in what? 6 years? Way to go Browns
Posted By: BarkinMad Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 08:23 PM
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

Parkey has been good, so far. Still can't help but hold my breath with each FG or XP, I remember his last time here in Cleveland but yes, he's been good.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 08:25 PM
Originally Posted By: BarkinMad
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

Parkey has been good, so far. Still can't help but hold my breath with each FG or XP, I remember his last time here in Cleveland but yes, he's been good.

I understand I was praying he wouldn't miss that last FG smile
Posted By: BarkinMad Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 08:30 PM
Unfortunately, I didn't get to watch the game, only listened to it. Sounded very good too me, our run game is special. Loved that the D got some turnovers, and the other TE, fgorget his name, got a TD. I went to the store in the third QTr, so missed what must have been some bad stuff, either Washington made some plays, or the Browns made some misteakes, probably a combination. I'm not sure if Baker had any INT's? So, I'm not sure the Browns had any turnovers? Which if they didn't, that's excellent and even if they did, they overcame them, and that's also excellent. Very good win for the Browns.
Posted By: vadawgfan07 Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 08:49 PM
Good to see a team respond well to adversity. When the WFT took the lead I was sure thinking that it was probably over. In many past years it would have been.
Posted By: Psydeffect Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 08:57 PM
Rivera not using his timeouts at the end of the game was mind blowing.

And to think I wanted him as our coach? no thanks.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 08:57 PM
We're not going to get 5 turnovers every game, and it seemed like all of our scores came on short fields. We took advantage of what we were given and won the game, and that's a good sign.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 09:07 PM
A few things I’m thinking ...

- We’re 2-1 ... above .500. That feels good. I think we all KNEW we had to be 2-1 after 3 games, so I’m glad we’re here.

- Garrett made a huge difference today

- When we decide to just pound it (let those G’s pull and the FB lead) we’re at our best

- Hooper was good early in the receiving game, but then may have been dinged up

- Thomas wasn’t AS BAD on defense

- Parkey has been great thus far

- Baker is so concerning at times. Just looks clueless for long stretches
Posted By: jtag Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 09:14 PM
My biggest takeaway was in the 2nd half when things started to fall apart, the D stepped up and then the O matched them.

Thing of beauty? No. Showing improvement? YES
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 09:28 PM
Wills is playing at a high level IMO, this is fantastic.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 09:34 PM
I looked this as our third pre-season game .. All new Coaching staff and a bunch of new players ( throw in Covid ) I believe the Offense will continue to improve with a few hiccups along the way. ( fun to watch for a change .

The Defense is another story ; Just don't have the talent to play the kind of Scheme Woods wants to run.. Garrett needs to play over their Left tackle and hope we can patch another DE in there some how. Only makes keeping Vernon look like Serious bad move .. Will be shaking out the LB core and DB's all season long ( in prep for next years Draft and FA )

Win is a Win !
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 09:37 PM
In past seasons the commitment to the running game was all lip service. I'm starting to believe it now. For stretches in the game running wasn't productive but Stefanski stayed with it.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 09:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
Wills is playing at a high level IMO, this is fantastic.

I agree I think the entire OL did a great Job both on the Run and pass, I would say both sacks were on Baker ...
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 09:46 PM
I’m so pleased with Teller’s play. Dude is a mauler
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 09:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Psydeffect

Down 14. 85 yards to go, 30 35 seconds or so, getting a onside kick is nearly impossible.

Why call stupid timeouts? The game was over. Just get to the locker room.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 09:51 PM
Post Game Thoughts -

--A+ grades - Myles, Cody. Please keep Myles on the right side.

--Defense was opportunistic, but Haskins is probably in the bottom 3 QBs in the league.

--I was not a fan of training camp and Stefanski's ho-hum approach to training camp, but he's outcoached the opponent the last two weeks. Doesn't panic, and I believe because he doesn't panic, the team doesn't panic.

--Washington was scheming all day to get McLaurin open, but we can't get OBJ open?

--I feel about this win the same as felt after the Jets win last year. Still a lot of unease.

--I don't think Rivera "gave up" because he wasn't using his timeouts. I think he saw he had a QB who's confidence was probably shattered and didn't want to make it worse. Hence, no timeouts and waving the white flag. Or maybe he wants Lawrence.

--I would have tried to get a TD to Odell late after Rivera waved the white flag.

Baker gets his own section --

--What happened to the brash, confident, throw the ball downfield in tight windows with accuracy rookie who set the rookie TD record? He has come a full 180 degrees?

--Is it as simple as "they have tape on him"? I just can't buy that.

--Anytime he is in shotgun with no backs, he looks so confused after the snap.

--This was the same guy throwing for multiple 300 yard games and multiple TD games his rookie year and now there is a feeling to keep him under 25 attempts per game is ideal. He threw for 150 yards today.

--Either Stefanski doesn't trust him, Baker wasn't checking into the right play, or Baker doesn't trust himself, because Washington's sole game plan was to sell out for the run today and dare Baker to beat them with the pass. That is a huge indictment on a QB. And a QB with all those weapons?

--And all day we kept running into 8 or 9 man fronts.

--On the throw to Kareem, if he threw it out front, that would have been a TD.

--He did have a huge 3rd and 9 first down completion to OBJ after Washington went up on the score. That was nice. We need more of these types of plays.

--But at some point Baker is going to have to win a game for us. I don't have confidence he can. If you had asked me in 2018? I wouldn't have hesitated that I had the utmost confidence in him.

--Not sure if anyone remembers this or not, but Pig Pen wasn't all that great his first 2 or 3 seasons. But he got drafted into a stable franchise that could win despite him. Along the way, he learned and got better and better. And he was afforded that time because the team was winning, and because the team was winning they weren't clamoring for his head. My hope is we can continue to win games on the backs of the running game and give Baker additional time to grow and develop like Pig Pen did. But I'm at a loss to what happened to the 2018 guy.
Posted By: Psydeffect Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 09:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Down 14. 85 yards to go, 30 35 seconds or so, getting a onside kick is nearly impossible.

Why call stupid timeouts? The game was over. Just get to the locker room.

There could have been a lot more time left if he had used them when they were on defense instead of letting us bleed the playclock to 1 every play.

I get it, they were likely going to lose but I just think you have to try. It just sends a bad message to a team that has a losing culture to just give up like that.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 09:54 PM
* did Parkey do a ton of leg presses since we last had him? He’s booming the kickoffs. I like that he kicks short FGs and extra points: he doesn’t try to kill it.

He’s like a golfer who hits a three-quarter pitching wedge instead of trying a full sand wedge.

* offence shot itself in the foot early in the second half, two straight three and outs caused by
QB pressures, but Baker and the boys rallied once Washington took the lead. Good old-fashioned smash mouth football.

Baker made some clutch throws on the final drive in the third and he seems mostly in control of what he’s doing. No INTs, another good sign.

* Spielman said some good things about Thomas and Goodson today ( I know, right?) but
we still look slow in underneath coverage.

* Myles had his second-straight game with a strip-sack, which pretty much sealed it.

* It helped that Haskins sucked, and that they lost key guys on DL, but we’re 2-1 and I take any win in the NFL. They are not easy to get.

* we hadn’t had two straight games with 30 or more points in a decade??? That’s frigging terrible.

* on to big D, and a win there would be huge, before coming back home to host the Colts.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 09:56 PM
On that throw to Hunt, baker had heavy pressure in his face. I think he also wanted the ball outside away from any defenders. I don't think there were any, but with the scramble and guy jumping in his face, he probably didn't have to to see that. He saw Hunt open and decided the best place to put the ball was between hunt and the sideline.

I wouldn't get too worked up over that.
Posted By: Swish Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 10:23 PM
Huge shoutout to our FB Janovich.

not only is he creating holes for the two best backs in football, but dude showed moves out in the open field today. he is a major asset to our team.

and that Teller dude was just running over defenders today in the rungame. wow he was a monster today! shoutout to our OL. they created holes and gave baker plenty of time to throw.

Chubb with over 100 yards and 2 TD's for the 2nd game in a row!!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 10:23 PM
- Browns covered the spread!

- Baker was meh against average CBs

- Great to see the D force some turnovers

- Parkey did his job

- Garrett made another impact play. That's two weeks in a row,

- I knew Karl Joseph was going to fumble on his INT return. I'm conditioned for the negative. Glad they recovered.

- Stefanski does not allow the woe is me, many a Browns teams could and would have quit after giving up the lead.

- The game against the Cowboys will be a true barometer of where this team as at

- I had the Rams +2.5 boo Lol ... penalty bailed the Bills out.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 10:24 PM
Crazy that Teller was a Bills castoff.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 10:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
- Stefanski does not allow the woe is me, many a Browns teams could and would have quit after giving up the lead.

This is huge.

Quote:
- The game against the Cowboys will be a true barometer of where this team as at

Agree.
Posted By: Dave Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 10:51 PM
I know a lot of you want Mayfield to be a Marino or Favre, but I see it as a really positive development that for the last two games he has done a good impersonation of Alex Smith a couple years ago in Kansas City. I know what you're thinking: oh no, the dreaded "game manager". Well get this, with this running attack, a game manager is exactly what we need, IMO. There will be games where we need him to take us down the field against a good defense with time running out, but today wasn't that day. Today we needed him to be an effective game manager, and he did that. After watching the list of slappies we've seen at QB for most of the last 20 years, give me a damn game manager every time.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 10:57 PM
I think issue is he has the tools to be so much more.

And game managers don't win championships.

I'm hoping he's on a learning curve. Game manager now. Franchise guy by the end of the year.
Posted By: Swish Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 11:02 PM
That’s fine if baker is a game manager.

However, You dont draft game managers #1 overall.
Posted By: Psydeffect Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 11:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

I'm hoping he's on a learning curve. Game manager now. Franchise guy by the end of the year.

See Trent Dilfer wink

Just kidding, he got by with a great defense. But generally I agree, I hope Baker can somehow regain the 2018 form he had but I'm losing hope. These next 3 games I'm thinking will tell us if he's made any progress. Tough schedule coming up.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 11:07 PM
No, you don't. But with Chubb and Hunt in the backfield, you take whats given. Baker doesn't need to carry the team right now.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 11:16 PM
There was a point today that last year’s team would have imploded. We didn’t. We responded. That’s a big step
Posted By: Dave Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 11:16 PM
Quote:

I don't agree with this at all.

Bart Starr
Bob Griese
Jim Plunkett
Joe Theisman
Jim McMahon
Phil Simms
Jeff Hostetler
Mark Rypien
Trent Dilfer
Brad Johnson
Eli Manning
Peyton Manning (2015)
Joe Flacco
Nick Foles
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 11:22 PM
He just needs to quit holding the ball so long. If there isn’t anything there, get rid of it, quit taking the sack or worse, these stupid grounding penalties.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 11:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave
Quote:

I don't agree with this at all.

Bart Starr
Bob Griese
Jim Plunkett
Joe Theisman
Jim McMahon
Phil Simms
Jeff Hostetler
Mark Rypien
Trent Dilfer
Brad Johnson
Eli Manning
Peyton Manning (2015)
Joe Flacco
Nick Foles

quoted for accuracy.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 11:23 PM

We have to look at the offseason. I hope they teach him how to manage the game with this new offense. Once he has that part down, then he can build his game off of that. If he has the skills many think, once he has the offense down, he should improve more.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 11:24 PM
That's what I'm hoping.
Posted By: Squires Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 11:26 PM
Can't remember the last the Browns were over .500 this late in the season. Good to see two in a row.
Posted By: BrownMoose Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 11:26 PM
Haskins our MVP today.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 11:26 PM
It was 2014
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 11:28 PM
Originally Posted By: BrownMoose
Haskins our MVP today.

Pretty much, but we'll take it.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 11:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Squires
Can't remember the last the Browns were over .500 this late in the season. Good to see two in a row.

This late in the season? Week 3?

Goodness, this franchise.
Posted By: Psydeffect Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 11:38 PM

It was an 84 game streak, next closest was the Giants with 50 lol
Posted By: myka Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 11:45 PM

--Not sure if anyone remembers this or not, but Pig Pen wasn't all that great his first 2 or 3 seasons. But he got drafted into a stable franchise that could win despite him. Along the way, he learned and got better and better. And he was afforded that time because the team was winning, and because the team was winning they weren't clamoring for his head. My hope is we can continue to win games on the backs of the running game and give Baker additional time to grow and develop like Pig Pen did. But I'm at a loss to what happened to the 2018 guy.

Baker has had 4 coaches in 3 seasons. FOUR. Not just a new coach every year, also snuck in an extra one.

The dude needs time to learn an offense and gel with his coaches. Look at Josh Allen. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, now SO FAR this year he's one of the top 3 QBs in the league.

We gotta stop being so knee jerk. I still have nightmares of how we were 6-4 and pulled Hoyer out for Manziel just cuz he lost 2 games in a row after Mack got injured. We're never gonna build if we keep hating our players after 1 game.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game - 09/27/20 11:46 PM

It's not often the Browns are playing truly meaningful games in October.
Posted By: vadawgfan07 Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 12:01 AM
Baker is starting to make me a but nervous, but. When Washignton goes up 20-17 Baker did lead the team on a 75 yard drive ( I know Chubb and Hunt shouldered the load). I believe he went 3 of 3 including a critical 15 yd pass on 3rd and 12. So I hope it is just the A.) coaching turn over and B.) A debacle of an offensive scheme / plan last year. Hopefully he will get it together.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 12:04 AM
I said earlier it was 3rd and 9 but it was the 3rd and 12 play. It was a great play.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 12:05 AM

Going into this game it was my feeling Haskins could be rattled into turnovers.

He is a young inexperienced quarterback. There is two ways to confuse or rattle a guy like him. Pressure coming from different positions. And or, disguised coverages from man and zone.

Haskins did not read the defense and through right into zone coverage while staring down receivers. Then when we pressured him and we got the big turnover from Myles.

Our run defense and coverage is still an issue.

The turnovers won us the game.
================================================

On offense we have our template. Establish the run. Play action pass. Use all the receivers. Get the lead. Eat clock. Be disciplined. Don't turn it over.

We are way more disciplined. Kudos to Kevin Stefanski.

We ran it effectively. We did not turn it over. Thanks to Odell on one play.

Baker made a few really good key throws. I believe he is really trying to not force balls. However, he was not all good. He was high on some throws. Seemed hesitant at times.

We won a game we should have won and that is a good thing.

We will need to be better all the way around to beat Dallas.

Feels good to be over 500.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 12:07 AM
Have you seen any other team on that graphic list mentioned before? Just cheap shot media hatchet job. They do go out of their way to find the worst angles of past failures; wake up! The story is new life, new players, new success to be covered. Other horrible teams do not get this hostile bias, snark, and snide reports.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 12:28 AM
--I thought both QBs were bad. Baker made some good throws when his first read was open. Made a couple of clutch throws. However, he really struggles when the first guy isn't open. His pocket presence was awful. Running around while going nowhere and danced his way into a couple of sacks. He also has too many high and hard throws. At some point, we will need him to win games against good teams if we ever want to be a playoff team. He is not there yet.

Luckily, Haskins was worse. Guy never reads the field. Stares down his receivers on every throw. Absolutely terrible. I think that is why Rivera didn't call time outs at the end. His QB was already a wreck.

--I thought the interior of the OL was excellent. Conklin was good. I thought Willis struggled today. I bet his PFF grade won't be so hot. I will say that Washington's DL is very good.

--Our WRs block downfield. That's big in the running game.

--Our RBs were their usual excellent selves.

--Hooper isn't doing much after that big contract.

--Play calling was good today.

--Defense came up w/turnovers, but they gave up too many easy plays against a very bad offense. I feel they are going to get gashed. Our safeties do not know how to help our corners inside.

--K. Johnson looked pretty good when he was in there.

--The DL had a decent game.

--Glad we won, but the D and Baker are causes of concern.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 12:50 AM
Still haven't watched a game. Listen on the radio. Win a game when most wasn't sure if they could or not. Winning a game like this is how to learn to win. It's better then losing a game when you should win it.
Posted By: ErikInHell Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 12:53 AM
Mayfield looks like he's still learning the offense. I can see that, as there was no preseason. He needs to get better quick.

Defense saw that haskins stares at his receivers. Good reads paid off. They need to fix their problem with quick slants before we play a team with really good TEs. LBs need work. We're too soft in the middle.

Miles Garret practicing against Joe Thomas seems to have paid dividends. He abuses left tackles quite often. He's getting the knack of pulling the big play when needed. D line is starting to look good, but they can be better.

Looks like Mayfield and OBJ are getting on the same page. Great use of OBJ as a decoy on the pass to Hunt. I'd hate to be a defender trying to guess who to cover.

No YAC from OBJ. He needs to stop trying to juke and just run.

The skins were 1-1 like us, so I'll call it a good win.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 01:36 AM

yea... so strange... be basically threw in the towel with 4 min left to go....
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 01:39 AM
Originally Posted By: jaybird

yea... so strange... be basically threw in the towel with 4 min left to go....

I think he was trying to save Haskins' tenuous emotional stability. He would have been intensely pressured and he already had thrown 3 picks and lost a fumble.

Haskins might be the worst starting qb in the entire league right now.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 01:41 AM
I’ll take two TDS, no picks, a victory, and a 112 QB rating every day of the week..., and especially on Sunday. wink

Bake missed a couple throws today, but they all do. He got it done when called upon. I hope he plants a flag in Dallas next week.
Posted By: OrangeCrush Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 01:50 AM
Bake's been just fine...people have to remember that he is learning a new offense with this crazy, COVID-shortened offseason.

His best play was the 2nd TD pass. He saw Hunt was matched up with a LB to the left before the snap. Looked to him first, but it just wasn't there. Worked his way back across the field and found Bryant for the TD.

We've been very good in the red zone this year.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 01:51 AM
probably true... bu still felt strange... I haven't watched many games where they don't try to fight for a win even if it's pretty improbable.... but as bad as haskins was beaten up today you're probably right... he probably saw enough and figured he wanted to move on to the next game...
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 02:25 AM
Just my opinion, but I would have used the timeouts. They only play 16 games, why leave a bullet in the chamber?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 02:27 AM
Baker panicking in the pocket has nothing to do with him learning a new offense.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 02:29 AM

We have to look at the offseason. I hope they teach him how to manage the game with this new offense. Once he has that part down, then he can build his game off of that. If he has the skills many think, once he has the offense down, he should improve more.

^This.^

At this point in the season, with the jacked-up offseason and entirely new scheme, #6 getting experience at game management is a plus. It seems as though our O is designed to get a lead and hold it, with oodles of Chubb & Hunt in the 4th. If that is actually the plan- and our team is executing, games like these are the kind you want while the team is learning to gel.

I want to see Rookie Mayfield heroics like everyone else, but I'll take solid ground game wins like this all day for 16+ weeks.

I'm totally cool with letting this team find itself a little bit. When have we ever allowed that since 1999?
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 02:32 AM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Baker panicking in the pocket has nothing to do with him learning a new offense.

This is my take as well.

I guess it could be that he has so much swimming around in his head that he's confusing himself.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 02:33 AM
It's all about perception, my friend.

Not being able to read coverages post-snap is not related to learning a new offense and giving a guy time. I will say it is true that sometimes the phrase "the game slowed down for him" has a lot of merit, but right now, Baker's most concerning issues are not related to learning a new O. It's about him struggling to go through his progressions and not trusting what he sees.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 02:46 AM
I'd take 32 touchdowns 10 picks 2000-2500 passing yards and a 10-6 season from any QB as long as we made the playoffs.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 03:06 AM
How many games do we give the offense to learn the offense? Normally this would have been the 3rd preseason game. By week 7 or 8 the offense should be hitting its stride, imho.

I still dont think we are running the ball enough.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 03:10 AM
I gave them zero.

The Haslams are the ones who have fired regime after regime. Tired of the excuses. Just win.
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 03:56 AM
Quote:
It's about him struggling to go through his progressions and not trusting what he sees.

Each offense gives a QB different reads, right? Like you're looking for different reads during the play in Lamar's offense compared to the reads you're looking for during a Joe Montana WCO.

Maybe it's still trying to figure out if he's getting Cover 2/Zone/Man etc...but try to manage that and a new offensive system.

So isn't all of this a bit of what you and Clem are saying?
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 04:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg

^This.^

At this point in the season, with the jacked-up offseason and entirely new scheme, #6 getting experience at game management is a plus. It seems as though our O is designed to get a lead and hold it, with oodles of Chubb & Hunt in the 4th. If that is actually the plan- and our team is executing, games like these are the kind you want while the team is learning to gel.

I want to see Rookie Mayfield heroics like everyone else, but I'll take solid ground game wins like this all day for 16+ weeks.

I'm totally cool with letting this team find itself a little bit. When have we ever allowed that since 1999?

I was going to address this a little later in my post game analysis after making a couple of other points, but since you guys are hitting the nail on the head I think I might lead off by taking a whack as well.

These last 2 games are exactly what I wanted to see when we were discussing what a Stefanski led team might look like. I said that regardless of outcome I wanted to see a team that had a clear idea of what it wanted to accomplish in the game and actively work toward reaching those goals. None of this scripted first drive then "Let's see how it goes" stuff we're used to seeing.

This offense looks and lines up prepared, Stefanski's play calling seems pretty cohesive. He's shown a little chutzpa with some of his decisions to go for it on 4th down but I don't see him being reckless. By and large I don't think there's a lot to complain about. Obviously things aren't perfect, but given the run up to the season, I don't think many of us can rightly be unhappy.

There have a been a few series where we seem to randomly come out throwing. I'll admit that my initial reaction is why aren't we still pounding the rock? I start to see echoes of Browns past who end up outsmarting themselves. But when I take a step back it makes more sense for a couple of reasons: 1) on occasion you do need to throw the defense a change up but 2) just because we can lean heavily on Chubb and Hunt to carry the day, it doesn't mean Stefanski shouldn't be looking for opportunities to put it on Baker's shoulders, even if its just a series here and there.

As far as the characterization from some that he's panicking... I don't know if I'm there yet. I don't think he and the O Line have been together long enough for him to not start feeling the heebie geebies after 3,4,5 seconds in the pocket. I am very interested in why several times he ended up holding on to the ball for so long.

Enough about Bake..

-Chubb... he's starting to scare me with how quiet and reserved he is. I hope Cleveland PD doesn't have a series of recent unsolved ritual killings.... LOL How crazy is it though that Chubb is a legit scoring threat from as far out as the 20yrd line??? This guy is amazing and its cool to be watching a RB that is sure to end up among the all time Cleveland great RBs.

-Hunt.. didn't have the day I think he hoped he would, but the guy still came to work and got his.

-OBJ... No highlight reel I think, but he made some really key catches today. Being the #1 WR isn't always about the yardage totals

-O Line... WFT's front 4 gave them quite a bit to handle today. Wills had a rough day but he stayed cool under fire. Teller is a freakin truck!

Defensively I don't have a whole lot to add..

-Karl Joseph laying the wood early on was a great hit

-DBs had a rough day

-I think I'm with the other Dawgs on Myles.. I think I'd like to see him move around on the line less.

-BJ Goodson had himself a day!

-I can't tell where the problem with the back end of the defense lies. Is it the talent or is the scheme lacking? Clearly we don't have our number #1s back there, but given that Woods has a DB background I'd think we would be have things a little more cleaned up despite. I don't know.

By the end of it all however, we managed to make the WFTs look like the Browns of yesterday.
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 04:08 AM
Originally Posted By: Swish
Huge shoutout to our FB Janovich.

not only is he creating holes for the two best backs in football, but dude showed moves out in the open field today. he is a major asset to our team.

and that Teller dude was just running over defenders today in the rungame. wow he was a monster today! shoutout to our OL. they created holes and gave baker plenty of time to throw.

Chubb with over 100 yards and 2 TD's for the 2nd game in a row!!

I was laughing my butt off at the look on Janovich's face as he was pushing as hard and fast as his little legs could carry him when he was trying to keep up with Chubb on that outside TD run. It was like he thought he was doing all right to keep pace until Nick dropped it into another gear and sped off.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 09:28 AM
Looking back at the game:

One of the biggest plays (which I forgot about) was the 3rd and 12 right after Washington took the lead. Baker found OBJ for a 15 yard gain. Had that not been completed, you never know.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 11:37 AM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

One of the biggest plays (which I forgot about) was the 3rd and 12 right after Washington took the lead. Baker found OBJ for a 15 yard gain. Had that not been completed, you never know.

This play is what still gives me hope for Baker.
Posted By: Hamfist Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 11:41 AM
I was hoping for exactly what I’ve seen the past two games.

This is the offense I was expecting, and three games in, it’s looking solid.

I’ll respectfully disagree with the posters who want to see more Baker fireworks. I want him to be effective with his passing. If that means 200 ypg/2 TDs/0 ints, and a W, I’ll take that all season.

In reference to his draft status, I think the most important thing a franchise guy does is win. How he does it, really doesn’t matter to me.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 12:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

That was more than a big play...that turned the WFT momentum to us. We were doing our 3-and-out routine and looked like dog doo the first two possessions of the half. It was looking like WASH figured us out at halftime...on both sides of the ball.

There will come a time when Baker has to will us to win...to make a big play when we really need it...to change the mo and the flow...and when he DID THAT RIGHT THERE...some people still won't see it.

Far from perfect by Baker today...but he got the job done when we needed it.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 01:32 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 01:32 PM
Crazy that Teller was a Bills castoff.

And Corbett is starting for the Rams.

Sometimes it takes a player 2-3 years to find their footing.

On this board people have talked about developing players, yet we don't seem to have the patience to allow that to happen.

Sometimes players aren't just going to step in and take over.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 01:34 PM
In Cleveland if players don't step in and perform right away, you're run out of town.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 01:38 PM
Hodge has really found a niche as a blocking WR, which is something we obviously are stressing
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 01:52 PM
j/c:

Teller wasn't cut by the Bills. Dorsey traded a 5th and 6th round pick for Teller and a 7th round pick.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 01:59 PM
I didn't intend the term castoff to mean he was cut.

To the Bills he was expendable. That's all I meant.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 02:12 PM
j/c...

Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 02:28 PM

I agree with you.

Team wins.

This should not be the Baker show with gaudy numbers.

It should not be the Odell show. So he can have a big season.

Andrew Berry and Stefanski need to develop a "playing personality."

That is what we have seen the last two games. That is why we have a fullback and are carrying 4 TE's.

That is why Hunt was extended.

We are seeing what the Cleveland Browns are supposed to be.

2020 with Covid. The first four games are like a full training camp and pre-season.

After that we are who we are.

The Cowboy will be a major challenge. They are 1-2 and at home. Desperate team with talent. They have a dynamic offense. They will put points up on us.

We will have to continue with who we are. Slow the game down. Possess the ball with the run game. Be efficient in the pass game and do not turn it over.

I will be surprised if we win.

However, each game we should improve as we gel and learn to play together.

Players can not be selfish. We have a chance to win games but it will not be with flash.

We should be the Mike Shanahan, Kyle Shanahan, Gary Kubiak offense. Next year invest in defense. In the meantime win the way we are built.

Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 02:35 PM
JC...

I missed a lot of the 2nd half yesterday...Does anyone know of any injuries from yesterday? I know Denzel left, and I remember seeing D'rnest Johnson returning a punt (not sure if Jojo was injured, or just they changed his duty, as they had a limited number of WRs active)
Posted By: PETE314 Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 03:02 PM
I see a team that is finally GROWING.
I see an offense that is forming an identity.
I see a coaching staff that appears prepared and does not panic.

Baker, I think the points brought about the improvement he needs to make are valid. But I also think the judgments and conclusions from those points are a bit harsh. Yes he knows and understands the playbook. But has has had no off-season and only 3 games experience in it. To expect him to have mastered it is a bit unreasonable. I think he is doing well with pre-reads...But after the first or second reads are taken away...it is a little shakier....and lets be honest...he still is in "thinking mode" in these situations and that is going to slow some things down. He is seeing these situations for the first time

OLine - overall a good job against a formidable front Teller is quietly having a breakout season. Considering most had him as the weakest part of the OLine before the season started, he has been a pleasant surprise.
The interior of Bitonio, Teller, and Tretter has been money. Conklin had a solid game. I do think Washington threw a ton at Wills this game. and overall, he handled it pretty well. Monteaz Sweat had a btter game than I would have wanted. But Wills had to make decisions in situations that were less than ideal. Overall...I see growth and expect him to lock down the LT spot for many years.

RB's...Is there anything that needs to be said??? aside from DAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!!!!!

Receiving - We know Stefanski wants to run the ball. And we will be leaning heavily on Chubb and Hunt this season. But I also think he is establishing the foundation of the offense right now. The offense leans on the run and play action so the passing game is meant to be more opportunistic than the driving force. That doesn't mean it can't or won't be dynamic and extremely productive. But at this stage...establishing that run foundation is more important than ever and it will really pay off later in the season. Just like setting up plays for later in the game. Stefanski is setting up game plans for later int he season. So expect us to try and take shots rather than chip away at people the way Washington did to us. In this context...I think the WRs are doing well. I see the timing improving. I see an embracing of blocking downfield. I see better understanding of the offense.

Defense - as a whole...we don't have a defense that can hang with Pittsburgh right now. I bring up Pittsburgh because you have to win games in your division. I saw so many plays were it looked like we had it bottled up and then it turns into a large gain. The good news is that it is a work in progress and they have been shorthanded.

DLine - Right now, I want to see more of Garrett, Ogunjobi, Richardson, and Clayborn. Garrett, good game...obviously...Saw Ogunjobi's number more often this game. I lover Richardson's hustle...always seeing him downfield if it gets that far. Clayborn has been disruptive. Gustin was ok...but after that it was ho hum...which is neither bad nor good.

LB's much better game in coverage...sometimes put in bad spots...like having to cover McLaurin. Run game....well lets just say that the stats didn't relay what I saw...I saw a lot of gains that could have should have been held under 3 yards that went for 5,10, 15... But being behind 11 mostof the game put the ball in Haskins hands. BJ Goodsen had a good game...after being lambasted and attacked for his coverage the first 2 games. it was said he put a lot of work in this week and it showed. Continue the improvement. I am really liking that we picked him up. I still think his biggest contribution has been his attitude...Confident yet humble, and an outstanding willingness to work hard. It rubs off on others...

DB's - Was very happy to see Cover Johnson, and MJ Stewart back on the field. Mitchell had his hands full with McLaurin, but mostly because of the pick plays Washington schemed. Overall the DB's had a lackluster to ok game, IMO. The numbers don't look too bad...only 220 yds given up...but it wasn't how I felt watching. I am not impressed with Sendejo at all. I can't help but think that losing Delpit really hurt. I would like to see these guys fully healthy. and we did see a little bitf that as we had a rotation. Tavier Thomas has taken a lot of heat on this board...But I thought he had a good game.

The Browns are a work in progress...and honestly...I take that as a good thing. I can't help but think that every regime before this would TALK about a plan, a progress, or growth...but their ACTIONS were of trying to just flip the switch to greatness and winning...This time I can actually see a plan in place and a progression. I am really not worried about the Offense...Their progression is moving along nicely. I am wary of the Defense...but once they are healthy again...maybe we stop giving up 88 points in 3 games...

Happy for the win...loving the attitude of this team...loving the Stefanski pick more and more every day...And I was happy with it to start (even if not my top pick). And most of all, I am ecstatic to be looking forward to Sundays again!!!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 03:32 PM
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs
JC...

I missed a lot of the 2nd half yesterday...Does anyone know of any injuries from yesterday? I know Denzel left, and I remember seeing D'rnest Johnson returning a punt (not sure if Jojo was injured, or just they changed his duty, as they had a limited number of WRs active)
Natson was injured probably severely. Denzel was more of a precaution according to Stefanski
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 03:54 PM
j/c...

Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 05:08 PM
Quote:
The offense is being quite vanilla in approach and still beating defenses the past two weeks. They will add plenty of wrinkles to their system in the approaching months. The passing yards will come.

Kinda what we saw and expected. Week 1 even smelled vanilla. Week 2 was a bit of an anomaly simply due to how bad Cinci is... it made our vanilla look way better than it should have. When everything is working, that happens.

We have a few bumps in the road coming these next three weeks. Cowboys will be tough, the Colts might just devour us, then it's Pittsburgh.

Hopefully, the offense keeps growing and the defense can get a little healthy.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 05:19 PM
As I stated early on in this thread , win , loose or draw the offense is going to be fun to watch this season. Having the right talent for the scheme your trying to play on Defense will continue to be a problem .. Looked at the first three games as pre-season ( not bad ) The Cowboys game as opening Day. Will be a true test for the " D " ..
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 05:27 PM
I'll post more grades as I find them, but for right now:

Quote:

Offensive line once again dominates the Browns' top PFF grades
Jeff Risdon
36 minutes ago

It’s becoming a weekly theme for the Cleveland Browns. The Pro Football Focus grades for the team’s 34-20 win over Washington in Week 3 reflect very highly on the Cleveland offensive line, just as they did in the first two weeks.

Three of the Browns’ top four offensive grades from PFF in Week 3 went to offensive linemen.

Joel Bitonio – 81.0
Wyatt Teller – 80.3
Jack Conklin – 73.2

Only WR Odell Beckham Jr. worked his way into the top foursome, scoring a season-high 76.6 in the game. Fellow wideout Jarvis Landry rounds out the top five with a 73.0 grade.

On defense, Myles Garrett’s dominant performance shot to the top of the PFF scores. Garrett earned a 91.0 overall grade and a 91.4 pass rush grade.

Linebacker B.J. Goodson parlayed his best game in a Browns uniform into a strong 84.4 overall grade. Most of that came from a 90.8 mark in coverage that was helped by an interception. CB Kevin Johnson, in his Browns debut, was the only other Cleveland defender to top the 70.0 overall mark.

At the other end of the grading scale…

CB M.J. Stewart – 30.2 overall
LB Sione Takitaki – 34.0
LB Mack Wilson – 36.9 in six snaps
S Ronnie Harrison – 46.3 in six snaps
WR JoJo Natson – 49.5 in four snaps

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/09/28/browns-pff-grades-ol-week-3-bitonio-teller-myles-garrett/

Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 05:37 PM
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 05:43 PM
j/c

Reading this thread I found to be a bit like living in an alternative universe. I'm not sure what game a lot of people were watching or what they're thinking.

Some have posted this but not nearly enough IMO.

We had no preseason. Mayfield is now playing under his fourth HC. So why would anyone expect him to be used to try and light things up? Why would anyone be expecting our HC to be relying on his arm to lead the team?

Give the kid enough time to learn and become comfortable in the new O before you toast his confidence as we saw last year. It seems to me he is doing exactly what's being asked of him and doing it well. People act like this didn't happen.....

16 of 23 with 2td's and no int's.

Do I still see him looking uncomfortable in the pocket sometimes? Yes I do. Do I still see him looking a little confused back there sometimes? Yes I do. That's what happens in a new system with no preseason.

From the way I see it, Stefanski is handling the situation perfectly. Working Mayfield into the system gradually. Asking him to do what he knows Baker can do. That helps build his confidence and as he feels more comfortable you expand his role.

We have the OL where we can run the ball. We have the horses to run the ball. We will run the ball. Baker did his job and did it well. He did what he was asked to do in an efficient and effective manner.

Considering the circumstances we're in with Covid and a new HC, I'm glad to see a HC who understands the situation and calling the games accordingly.

There will be games that we will be behind late. Baker will be forced into throwing more. No matter what anyone says, sometimes circumstances dictate that's what will be called for. I'm not sure he's quite ready to handle that at this point in time but we are all going to see.

That may come as soon as next week.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 06:20 PM
Wilson played??

That bodes well for next week. Hopefully Greedy and others are full-go this coming week and can start getting some work in. The defense is going to need all the help it can get.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 06:26 PM
Yeah, it says 6 snaps. I don't remember seeing him, though.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 06:40 PM

I agree with you.

The Cowboy game I believe will be a case in point.

They are dynamic on offense. Dak can throw it. Zeke can run it. Our defense will have a major challenge.

I expect this may be one of those game we fall behind.

I doubt we are at the stage where we can come back with a pass game late and expect to win.

However, win or lose the experience will be valuable.

We are not like the Chiefs, Saints, and Steelers, in the same systems for years.

Expecting us to be a powerhouse is unrealistic.

Sure I hope we in but I am not expecting it.
The Washington game I expected to win.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 06:43 PM
The Cowboys are 1 and 2. They have a very good offense, but their defense is straight trash. Their secondary is awful. I wonder what the "over" will be on this game. Both teams have a ton of weapons on O and very bad defenses.

I also think the Excuse Train is rolling down the tracks.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 08:30 PM

I don't think I am making excuses.

It is the way I see it.

I agree both defenses are suspect.

The Cowboy's can find the endzone on offense. I think they will outscore us.

At this point in the season we are a run based team. That is the strength of this team.

I don't believe we are ready to go spread late in games to play comeback.

Maybe later in the season
Posted By: rastanplan Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 08:32 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
j/c

Reading this thread I found to be a bit like living in an alternative universe. I'm not sure what game a lot of people were watching or what they're thinking.

Some have posted this but not nearly enough IMO.

We had no preseason. Mayfield is now playing under his fourth HC. So why would anyone expect him to be used to try and light things up? Why would anyone be expecting our HC to be relying on his arm to lead the team?

Give the kid enough time to learn and become comfortable in the new O before you toast his confidence as we saw last year. It seems to me he is doing exactly what's being asked of him and doing it well. People act like this didn't happen.....

16 of 23 with 2td's and no int's.

Do I still see him looking uncomfortable in the pocket sometimes? Yes I do. Do I still see him looking a little confused back there sometimes? Yes I do. That's what happens in a new system with no preseason.

From the way I see it, Stefanski is handling the situation perfectly. Working Mayfield into the system gradually. Asking him to do what he knows Baker can do. That helps build his confidence and as he feels more comfortable you expand his role.

We have the OL where we can run the ball. We have the horses to run the ball. We will run the ball. Baker did his job and did it well. He did what he was asked to do in an efficient and effective manner.

Considering the circumstances we're in with Covid and a new HC, I'm glad to see a HC who understands the situation and calling the games accordingly.

There will be games that we will be behind late. Baker will be forced into throwing more. No matter what anyone says, sometimes circumstances dictate that's what will be called for. I'm not sure he's quite ready to handle that at this point in time but we are all going to see.

That may come as soon as next week.

There are many QB's in similar or worst situations that are showing much better results.

Like someone stated Baker is mehh... 2 games with intentional grounding rookie penalties shows he is very hard to coach.

Baker is just mehh, time to move on, he will not be resigned for sure.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 08:52 PM
Posted By: Xanthros Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 10:05 PM
I also feel like there are some unfair expectations being laid at Bakers feet. Last I checked it wasn’t his fault that he was taken at the #1 draft spot. Everyone was expecting that to be Sam Darnold. Imagine that conversation now after seeing him perform. Honestly even the draft “experts” concede that draft grades are a crapshoot because there is literally no way to determine how a player reacts once he reaches this level of play. Just the fact that we saw him exceed his expectations the second half of his rookie season tells me he is capable. It’s also not his fault he is on his fourth HC or coordinator in 3 years. Who else can say that with the Covid shortened offseason? It must be rough to live inside such a critical head that you are so down on a kid that just won 2 out of the last 3 games. Did he carry the team? No. Did he do the job he was asked to do? Yes. Why isn’t that enough?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 10:11 PM
I just would like to point out that Baker didn’t throw any interceptions but he should have. OBJ broke up the INT on a horrible pass deep. That’ll show up in his adjusted interceptions at the end of the season.
Posted By: FATE Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 10:13 PM
j/c...

In the 3rd Q, in a span of four possessions, Washington took the lead. We had two "3 and outs", they scored two TDs.

Playing from behind, late in the 3rd, we then scored 17 unanswered... here's every pass from Mayfield:

COMP / 15yds / 1st Down (3rd & 12)

COMP / 13yds / 1st Down

COMP / 3yds / TOUCHDOWN

COMP / 15yds / 1st Down

COMP / 9yds / 1st Down

I don't think Baker had a great game, I don't think he's a finished product. I don't think he's processing at the speed he needs to. I DO think it's a little weird that people seem to want him to (or don't believe he can) carry a team... when he doesn't need to.

Flawless play down the stretch. Threw darts. Led his team down the field.

Baker turned a corner in the 4th quarter and, seemingly, no one cared to see it.
Posted By: Dave Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 10:24 PM
I just would like to point out that Baker didn’t throw any interceptions but he should have. OBJ broke up the INT on a horrible pass deep. That’ll show up in his adjusted interceptions at the end of the season.

Oh noes! That means it will be on his Permanent Record. Forever and ever! We are doomed.

PS ... we won the game.
Posted By: bluecollarball Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 10:35 PM
My addition to this conversation is that for me, it appears this team is more composed than last year and that's a welcome relief. Last year was an unmitigated coaching disaster and Stefanski seems to be breathing in an air of professionalism and maturity on the sidelines. We didn't look like we were grasping for straws for anything that could work.

If anything, this game gave me reason to believe that perhaps this season is the first where we have some competence on the sidelines and W's on the card.

And that catch by Hunt.....wow!
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 10:39 PM

Browns’ offensive snap counts, stats, and notes: Week 3

Cleveland didn’t have many long-sustaining drives, but they capitalized on all of Washington’s mistakes.

By Chris Pokorny@

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2020/9/28/21459457/browns-offensive-snap-counts-stats-and-notes-week-3

Below, we analyze the snap counts and stats on offense for the Cleveland Browns’ Week 3 game against the Washington Football Team.

Quarterback
Pos Player Plays % Stats
QB Baker Mayfield 63 100% 16-of-23 (69.6%) for 154 yards, 2 TD. 1 rush, 1 yard.
This is the formula. Not every week, but for games like the past two weeks — where Cleveland has a clear advantage on the ground, or where you’re facing a team with a great pass rush — this is the type of final stat line we need to see from Baker Mayfield.
This was the first time since Week 10 of the 2019 season that Mayfield did not throw an interception. Also, Mayfield completed 69.5% of his passes for the second week in a row. While it was common for Mayfield to have a high completion percentage as a rookie in 2018, only twice in 2019 did he have a better completion percentage than he’s has the past two weeks. Kevin Stefanski knows how to use him, and that’s going to get Mayfield more comfortable for when he can sling the ball around a bit more — like next Sunday against the worst-ranked Cowboys pass defense.
The two big no-nos for Mayfield were in the third quarter. First, for the second game in a row, he had a play in which he scrambled to his right, and just held onto the ball so long that instead of throwing the ball out of bounds, he took an intentional ground penalty because he couldn’t get the ball past the line of scrimmage. He also took a sack on another drive in the third quarter. Both drives helped give Washington good field position, and they scored touchdowns on each of them. If Cleveland would’ve went three-and-out, it would’ve been much better. Mayfield knew it after the game too, and it’s a good thing that he thinks about those things, as I’m sure the coaching staff will work on too:
I could have played way better. I could have gotten the ball out and saved a couple of those sacks. The protection was great. I could have re-IDed the play where the intentional grounding happened and the first play coming out where I got sacked. Some things that I can be a lot better on.

Running Back
Pos Player Plays % Stats
RB Nick Chubb 34 54% 19 carries, 108 yards (5.7 YPC). 2 TD. 1 catch, 2 yards (1 target).
RB Kareem Hunt 29 46% 16 carries, 46 yards (2.9 YPC). 2 catches, 18 yards (3 targets). 1 TD.
FB Andy Janovich 17 27% 1 catch, 13 yards (1 target).
Nick Chubb is a national treasure. The way he runs is awe-inspiring, and he had two more touchdown runs against Washington. There were a lot of highlights for him on the day, but I’ll include this one because of the breakdown:

Chubb played 54% of the snaps while Hunt played the other 46%. I thought it would be difficult for a head coach to manage the utilization of both backs and get the best out of both players, but the usage that Stefanski has deployed has been perfect. The craziest thing of all is that Cleveland has not even started to use the screen game for their backs — I don’t know how much Stefanski likes utilizing that, but you have to imagine he’ll dial it up at some point.
Andy Janovich played 17 snaps (27%) this week.
Wide Receiver
Pos Player Plays % Stats
WR Odell Beckham 51 81% 4 catches, 59 yards (6 targets).
WR Jarvis Landry 45 71% 4 catches, 36 yards (4 targets).
WR KhaDarel Hodge 35 56% 0 catches (1 target).
WR JoJo Natson 4 6% 1 carry, 3 yards (3.0 YPC).
The receivers didn’t have big games, but there was one really big positive: Baker Mayfield hit Odell Beckham on 4 passes, and each of them simply involved good throws, and Beckham catching them securely, most of the time for key first downs. His catch at the end of the third quarter for a first down helped get Cleveland out of their funk.
Rashard Higgins was a healthy scratch, as Cleveland only had four receivers active. During the game, JoJo Natson suffered a torn ACL, which meant the Browns were down to just three active wide receivers. KhaDharel Hodge is still seeing a lot of snaps, but if he’s just needed to block, he’s happy to keep doing that:

Tight End
Pos Player Plays % Stats
TE Austin Hooper 54 86% 3 catches, 25 yards (4 targets).
TE Harrison Bryant 40 63% 1 catch, 3 yards (2 targets). 1 TD.
TE Stephen Carlson 6 10% No stats registered.
One thing is clear: Austin Hooper is not going to be a huge part of the Browns’ offense in the passing game. Through 3 games, he has just 7 catches for 62 yards. At some point, we may have a discussion on whether the type of contract he was given was worth it, for the sake of having someone reliable when he is called upon. I’m sure he’ll have his bigger games this season, though.
Harrison Bryant caught his first touchdown pass in the NFL. It was nice to see that, after Mayfield was picked off targeting him a week ago. Bryant has been getting a lot of work in as a run blocker, and doing it more effectively than fans could have anticipated.
Offensive Line
Pos Player Plays % Stats
OL Jedrick Wills Jr. 63 100%
OL Joel Bitonio 63 100%
OL JC Tretter 63 100%
OL Wyatt Teller 63 100%
OL Jack Conklin 63 100%
Mayfield was sacked twice and took five quarterback hits against Washington.
Joel Bitonio was the highest-graded player on offense, according to Pro Football Focus, with a grade of 80.1. Wyatt Teller continues to impress at right guard — I am blown away with how the guy has transformed himself into an above average guard.
Per PFF, Jedrick Wills wasn’t a negative, which is a plus for a rookie. He did have two early false starts, which you don’t like to see, especially in your home stadium of just 6,000 fans:
Wills played well enough again to not stand out as a big negative following his move to the left side. For a rookie offensive linemen, that’s often all you need to see. He did get beat several times in pass protection, but it was a solid overall performance for the Alabama product against a talented Washington defensive line.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 11:13 PM
Browns’ defensive snap counts, stats, and notes: Week 3

The Browns’ defense forced five turnovers against Washington.

By Chris Pokorny

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2020/9/28/21459445/browns-defensive-snap-counts-stats-and-notes-week-3

Below, we analyze the snap counts and stats on defense for the Cleveland Browns’ Week 3 game against the Washington Football Team.

Defensive Line
Player Plays % Stats
Porter Gustin 54 83% 2 tackles, 1 assist (3 combined).
Myles Garrett 50 77% 4 tackles (4 combined). 2 sacks, 2 QH, 1 FF, 1 FR.
Sheldon Richardson 43 66% 3 tackles, 1 assist (4 combined). 1 sack, 1 TFL, 1 QH, 1 pass defended.
Larry Ogunjobi 41 63% 2 tackles, 2 assists (4 combined). 1 TFL.
Jordan Elliott 23 35% 1 assist (1 combined).
Joe Jackson 19 29% 1 assist (1 combined).
Adrian Clayborn 16 25% No stats registered.
Vincent Taylor 15 23% 1 tackle, 1 assist (2 combined). 1 TFL.
Porter Gustin played the most snaps among Browns defensive linemen (83%) with Olivier Vernon out and Adrian Clayborn limited (25%).
Myles Garrett had another high impact game. He was the Browns’ top-graded defender by PFF with a grade of 90.1. Garrett’s pressure directly led to three turnovers alone:

Cleveland’s defensive tackles continue to play well. Sheldon Richardson logged a sack, and Larry Ogunjobi had a big stuff in the run game for a loss of five yards.
Linebacker
Player Plays % Stats
B.J. Goodson 60 92% 3 tackles (3 combined). 1 INT, 1 pass defended, 1 FR.
Sione Takitaki 41 63% 2 tackles, 4 assists (6 combined).
Malcolm Smith 26 40% 1 INT, 1 pass defended.
Mack Wilson 6 9% No stats registered.
This brought be back to the days of Cleveland’s linebackers coming out of no where to log interceptions against Peyton Manning — I’m talking about the likes of Ben Taylor and Kevin Bentley. On Sunday, it was B.J. Goodson and Malcolm Smith.
In his season debut, Mack Wilson played 6 snaps. Stefanski wanted he and CB Kevin Johnson to knock off some rest before the coaches ramp up their playing time:

Cornerback
Player Plays % Stats
Terrance Mitchell 65 100% 1 tackle, 1 assist (2 combined). 1 pass defended, 1 FF.
Kevin Johnson 38 58% 2 tackles, 1 assist (3 combined). 1 FF.
Tavierre Thomas 30 46% 2 tackles (2 combined). 1 TFL, 1 FR.
Denzel Ward 29 45% 1 tackle, 1 assist (2 combined). 1 pass defended.
M.J. Stewart 22 34% 3 tackles (3 combined).
A.J. Green 1 2% No stats registered.
The Browns got one half of play out of Denzel Ward. He did not play the second half because his groin injury acting up, but he didn’t worsen it. The coaching staff will have to weigh his recovery vs. the amount of snaps he gets in the next couple of weeks. That could depend on how close someone like Greedy Williams is to returning to action.
Kevin Johnson appeared to be playing outside cornerback in relief of Ward, while Tavierre Thomas kept the nickel job this week. The biggest play this week for Thomas was recovering Karl Joseph’s fumble after an interception. Eventually, the objective is for Johnson to be the nickelback, though.
M.J. Stewart also played 22 snaps.
Safety
Player Plays % Stats
Andrew Sendejo 65 100% 4 tackles, 1 assist (5 combined).
Karl Joseph 65 100% 4 tackles, 2 assists (6 combined). 1 INT, 1 pass defended.
Ronnie Harrison 7 11% 1 tackle (1 combined).
Karl Joseph had a big interception, although he could have turned right into a goat had Washington recovered his fumble. That interception set off a string of turnovers for Washington.
Andrew Sendejo has made some big hits, but they’re often after a big gain has already happened, and the good coverage grades he had in Minnesota last year are just not materializing. It is still surprising that Sendejo is seeing all the work over Ronnie Harrison and that Sheldrick Redwine is not playing any snaps on defense.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 11:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave

Oh noes! That means it will be on his Permanent Record. Forever and ever! We are doomed.

PS ... we won the game.

Process over results.
Posted By: rastanplan Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 11:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Xanthros
I also feel like there are some unfair expectations being laid at Bakers feet. Last I checked it wasn’t his fault that he was taken at the #1 draft spot. Everyone was expecting that to be Sam Darnold. Imagine that conversation now after seeing him perform. Honestly even the draft “experts” concede that draft grades are a crapshoot because there is literally no way to determine how a player reacts once he reaches this level of play. Just the fact that we saw him exceed his expectations the second half of his rookie season tells me he is capable. It’s also not his fault he is on his fourth HC or coordinator in 3 years. Who else can say that with the Covid shortened offseason? It must be rough to live inside such a critical head that you are so down on a kid that just won 2 out of the last 3 games. Did he carry the team? No. Did he do the job he was asked to do? Yes. Why isn’t that enough?

Do you think Baker will resign for good backup QB money? Will he take a pay cut to resign for the Browns? He is not playing to the top pick level, expectations are not his fault... but what if we adjust salary to future expectations?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 11:23 PM
Quote:
Baker turned a corner in the 4th quarter and, seemingly, no one cared to see it.

No one? It seems to me that more people are saying good things about him than bad. It seems to me that people have a problem if any of his mistakes are pointed out. I know I pointed out that he struggled if his first option wasn't open. All the excuses and hyperbole won't change that opinion.
Posted By: rastanplan Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 11:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:

No one? It seems to me that more people are saying good things about him than bad. It seems to me that people have a problem if any of his mistakes are pointed out. I know I pointed out that he struggled if his first option wasn't open. All the excuses and hyperbole won't change that opinion.

Nobody talks about the 2 idiotic intentional groundings... Baker is not bad enough to lose the job, but we will not get anywhere with him. We all know it, I don't see Baker keeping the job next year.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 11:32 PM
Originally Posted By: FATE
j/c...

In the 3rd Q, in a span of four possessions, Washington took the lead. We had two "3 and outs", they scored two TDs.

Playing from behind, late in the 3rd, we then scored 17 unanswered... here's every pass from Mayfield:

COMP / 13yds / 1st Down

COMP / 3yds / TOUCHDOWN

COMP / 15yds / 1st Down

COMP / 9yds / 1st Down

I don't think Baker had a great game, I don't think he's a finished product. I don't think he's processing at the speed he needs to. I DO think it's a little weird that people seem to want him to (or don't believe he can) carry a team... when he doesn't need to.

The running from clean pockets is a problem. The accuracy (lack of) when under pressure is a big problem. The speed of progressions might be a problem - as in it needs to improve but there are a lot of reasons that Baker isn't at 100% of his ceiling regards this aspect of his game .... All worthy issues to discuss. Last week I re-watched the game and despite what some are saying he was making 2nd and 3rd reads on at least a few plays ... I don't know about the WFT game. But he needs to improve and I think he has shown signs that he is.

However - the question marks which are all hang overs from last year (and some from the year before, and some probably stemming from the 4th HC in his 3rd year) should not totally overshadow or obliterate the very accurate passing we saw for the rest of the game. Baker is not a finished product and he has made some great throws this year. He started the game with great looking throws and decisions yesterday, and he finished with great looking throws, I'll take that for what is essentially a 3rd Preseason game. Looking forward to more progress.
Posted By: rastanplan Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 11:36 PM
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Originally Posted By: FATE
j/c...

COMP / 13yds / 1st Down

COMP / 3yds / TOUCHDOWN

COMP / 15yds / 1st Down

COMP / 9yds / 1st Down

The running from clean pockets is a problem. The accuracy (lack of) when under pressure is a big problem. The speed of progressions might be a problem - as in it needs to improve but there are a lot of reasons that Baker isn't at 100% of his ceiling regards this aspect of his game .... All worthy issues to discuss. Last week I re-watched the game and despite what some are saying he was making 2nd and 3rd reads on at least a few plays ... I don't know about the WFT game. But he needs to improve and I think he has shown signs that he is.

However - the question marks which are all hang overs from last year (and some from the year before, and some probably stemming from the 4th HC in his 3rd year) should not totally overshadow or obliterate the very accurate passing we saw for the rest of the game. Baker is not a finished product and he has made some great throws this year. He started the game with great looking throws and decisions yesterday, and he finished with great looking throws, I'll take that for what is essentially a 3rd Preseason game. Looking forward to more progress.

Just face it. When Baker plays he is the least athletic player on the field and his football IQ is not above average.

He is just a meh QB... backup material, IMHO. We will not pay him top dollar nor franchise tag him. He's worst than Andy Dalton or Joe Flacco...
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 11:39 PM
All QBs get called for intentional grounding. All qbs make bad throws. All qbs throw interceptions. I can live w/those things, unless the picks start piling up.

My issue is how he seems to struggle reading coverages if his first target isn't open.
Posted By: rastanplan Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 11:43 PM
All QBs get called for intentional grounding. All qbs make bad throws. All qbs throw interceptions. I can live w/those things, unless the picks start piling up.

My issue is how he seems to struggle reading coverages if his first target isn't open.

2 games in a row... how hard is to listen and take the sack. It shows that he is a very slow learner and like I pointed out his awareness of the field and the game is very low.

But above all, we all can see what is his ceiling now... I would rather give another chance to Jameis if we are going to limit throws to 25 a game.

I wouldn't be to worried if he had shown he is player, but being the least athletic player on the field he must have superior football IQ, which he does not.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 11:49 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 11:50 PM
Posted By: rastanplan Re: Post Game - 09/28/20 11:58 PM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Interesting because on that play we can see the WR on the right wide open without coverage well before he made the throw...

You can also see that the throw had to be made a few ticks before it was done, he takes to much time to recognize the window and act...

Both plays, just count the number of wide Wr's...
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Post Game - 09/29/20 12:10 AM
When was the w.r. on the right open? Oh, after the ball was thrown.
Posted By: Swish Re: Post Game - 09/29/20 01:47 AM
if we were in the NFC east, we would be in 1st place!!
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Post Game - 09/29/20 01:47 AM
Originally Posted By: Swish
if we were in the NFC east, we would be in 1st place!!

And Cincy would not be in last
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Post Game - 09/29/20 02:03 AM
j/c

Signs of growth:

5:16 in the 4th. Browns up, 31-20. CLE ball, 3rd & 2. 6 under pressure, tosses a shallow sideline pass to 27, who makes a spectacular one-handed back-side catch. Stretched out, parallel to to the ground, cradle that baby on the hip; roll out for more yards- whistle. First down.

A team with players who show that much effort will learn, and then find ways to win.

3:15 in the 4th. Browns up, 31-20. Browns with the ball, 4th and 4 on the WFT 18. BM hard counts- neutral zone infraction, WFT/91. First down. 5 plays later, CLE goes up 34-20 with 1:10.

Dawgs: these are the kinds of plays that always happened to CLE.
They may be little things in and of themselves, but they speak to something better for us.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Post Game - 09/29/20 02:31 AM
After all of three games the writer comes up with this ??

" One thing is clear: Austin Hooper is not going to be a huge part of the Browns’ offense in the passing game. "
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Post Game - 09/29/20 02:48 AM
Havent seen us have any problems lining up this year! Havent seen delay of game, seems Stefanski knows what to call and gets it in! We just seem so much more prepared than in years past!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 09/29/20 09:25 AM
Nice breakdown of Mayfield. Thanks grateful
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Post Game - 09/29/20 12:40 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Wilson played??

That bodes well for next week. Hopefully Greedy and others are full-go this coming week and can start getting some work in. The defense is going to need all the help it can get.

I thought I was crazy when I caught a brief glimpse of his number. Meant to check the stats/roster after the game.
Posted By: eotab Re: Post Game - 09/29/20 12:51 PM
Teller along with his OL buddies had a great game. His pulls to the left and making the kickout block was excellent.
Kudos to him and don't forget our rookie Wills - also if you all can tell me was that Lamm playin RT? If so how long was he out there?

Two days after the game and my once great memory just has me forgetting what happened. I guess I have to post right after the game...lol
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Post Game - 09/29/20 12:52 PM
Originally Posted By: waterdawg

" One thing is clear: Austin Hooper is not going to be a huge part of the Browns’ offense in the passing game. "

Lots and lots of guys that 'need' to get the ball. I expect this will work itself out as the season goes on.
Posted By: eotab Re: Post Game - 09/29/20 12:54 PM
Originally Posted By: waterdawg

So I'm watching post game interviews with Coach and players. Mary Kay asked the same Garrett question in all her interview questions...and she only gets one question...lol laugh
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 09/29/20 12:55 PM
Conklin was back at RT, tab. He also had a very nice game. Had the 5th highest offensive grade on the team according to PFF.
Posted By: eotab Re: Post Game - 09/29/20 01:13 PM
Thanks...possibly what I saw was an extra tackle brought in for a run play near the Goal line???
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 09/29/20 01:14 PM
Yeah, that's possible. I missed it, but it makes sense.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game - 09/29/20 04:30 PM
j/c...

Posted By: oobernoober Re: Post Game - 09/29/20 04:47 PM
Poor Gustin...
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Post Game - 09/29/20 05:49 PM
The thing that I noticed is that the Browns are no longer snapping the ball with 2 seconds left on the play clock. That drove me nuts last year.

I don't know what the sequence was last year, but it took way too long, and was part of the challenges with Kitchens. Much better this year.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Post Game - 09/29/20 05:51 PM
That Chubb TD run where he juked the Safety cracks me up on many levels... but the way he used Landry's blocking inside the 5 yard line is hilarious...used him twice there. rofl
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Post Game - 09/29/20 06:47 PM
I remember Stefanski making that a huge point of emphasis during an episode of Building the Browns. It also gives the QB and the line more time to scan the looks that they're getting, put a WR in motion, etc.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Post Game - 09/29/20 06:49 PM
I recall a few of us complaining about that last year, Freddie taking his good old time, when getting the play call in.
Posted By: KashDawg Re: Post Game - 09/29/20 08:52 PM
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Interesting because on that play we can see the WR on the right wide open without coverage well before he made the throw...

You can also see that the throw had to be made a few ticks before it was done, he takes to much time to recognize the window and act...

Both plays, just count the number of wide Wr's...

I don't know what the heck you are watching but this is 100% false. The only WR open when Baker threw that was the one he threw it to. Baker has some work to do, but don't make stuff up to try and support whatever you are trying to sell.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 09/29/20 11:58 PM
I agree w/you, but there are a ton of false statements being thrown around and that video was limited. I'm okay w/people not being able to decipher what they see, but it kinda bothers me when people make arguments when they don't know what they are talking about.

I'm not talking about you and I agree w/your post because rasta is biased, but there are a lot more biased people on the other side of the coin. And even the guy who made that video left out examples of where Baker did panic in the pocket. I would have preferred he showed the good w/the bad.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 09/30/20 12:51 PM
J/c

Good points about us not being rushed at the line. It gives us time to examine the defense and it also slows their pass rush ... they cant anticipate the snap as easy
Posted By: eotab Re: Post Game - 09/30/20 01:11 PM
guess what if there is mayhem as in a pass rush where in 2 seconds you are going to be hit...any QB will panic.

Our OL (great OL coach) is establishing a pocket where all is spread out and Baker has room to step up or slide as one starts to get close. Most QBs will become comfortable.

Its all about environment.

Also I would like to add. Last year Kitchens never defined our team as a running team. Or a passing team for that matter...no definition at all.

Stfanski is clearly establishing the Browns as a running team. That can pass if necessary.

jmho
Posted By: KashDawg Re: Post Game - 10/02/20 12:33 AM
I agree w/you, but there are a ton of false statements being thrown around and that video was limited. I'm okay w/people not being able to decipher what they see, but it kinda bothers me when people make arguments when they don't know what they are talking about.

I'm not talking about you and I agree w/your post because rasta is biased, but there are a lot more biased people on the other side of the coin. And even the guy who made that video left out examples of where Baker did panic in the pocket. I would have preferred he showed the good w/the bad.

I agree. There were several plays where Baker is still thinking to much and not trusting his eyes. This leads to him dancing around in the pocket instead of just getting rid of it quickly.

The particular play that was quoted however, was not one of those. He slide away from pressure, sets his feet and delivers a strike to the only place he can. These are the type of plays that give me hope. Baker is a work in progress no doubt.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Post Game - 10/02/20 10:06 PM
j/c:

© DawgTalkers.net