DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Dave Super Bowl Ads - 01/29/14 09:17 PM
I already know my favorite without having seen any others ...

Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 01/29/14 09:20 PM
That one will be pretty tough to beat-
Posted By: Dave Re: Super Bowl Ads - 01/29/14 09:24 PM
I think I got a little something in my eye watching that ...
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Super Bowl Ads - 01/29/14 09:40 PM
Pretty good... the ads of last year's superbowl was a few steps back. I think they sucked for the most part. Hoping this year to be better/more humorous.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Super Bowl Ads - 01/29/14 10:37 PM
There are two type of people in this world:

1. People that watch the Super Bowl for the commercials / enjoy the commercials with the game
2. Doesn't understand the hype, they're just commercials. Fast forward or go to the bathroom

I fall into the #2 category.

With that being said, I'm not here to just bash the #1's. I have watched and enjoyed the commercials for the Super Bowls because it's a fun betting game. I usually watch the game with my in-laws and they like to bet on just about everything. We'll have squares for a couple bucks, a questionaire I'll create that asks if there will be a safety and how many yards PersonA will rush for (O/U), we'll do straight bets and this "guess the series outcome" game which is A LOT OF FUN. It's about the same as the "guess the first commercial after this series".

There are 8-12 categories:
Beer
Soda or other drinks
Car
Internet (GoDaddy, Amazon, etc.)
Movie
Network promotion
Fast food
Snack food
and so on.

As the game is being played, you simply call out your choice. The person with the most amount right at the end of the game wins the pot. You can get fancy with the way the choices are picked (no duplicates, tags that go on your beers, etc.).

As for the commercials themselves, nothing beats the Budweiser frogs.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Super Bowl Ads - 01/29/14 11:50 PM
I called my wife in to watch this, she told me, "now you made me cry, I hate you"!
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 01/30/14 02:54 AM
Quote:

I called my wife in to watch this, she told me, "now you made me cry, I hate you"!

I liked it.....but I sure didn't get emotional. I guess I'm just cold. I have a guinnea pig in my barn fride/freezer......and the freezer part doesn't work anymore. So, I unplugged it - because I'm not letting the freezer run constantly while it's not cooling.

Consequently, we lost 25 bags of corn......and the guinnea pig is stinking up the joint. Why do I care? Because the little finger biting baby woodchuck is my daughters, and I can't bury the big toothed rat in this weather. So, the little scoundrel is packed in ice, and I'll be buying a freaking fridge/freezer tomorrow.

I'm as sentimental as they come.........just not tonight.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Super Bowl Ads - 01/30/14 03:13 AM
Nice.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 01/30/14 04:17 AM
Quote:

Quote:

I liked it.....but I sure didn't get emotional. I guess I'm just cold. I have a guinnea pig in my barn fride/freezer......and the freezer part doesn't work anymore. So, I unplugged it - because I'm not letting the freezer run constantly while it's not cooling.

Consequently, we lost 25 bags of corn......and the guinnea pig is stinking up the joint. Why do I care? Because the little finger biting baby woodchuck is my daughters, and I can't bury the big toothed rat in this weather. So, the little scoundrel is packed in ice, and I'll be buying a freaking fridge/freezer tomorrow.

I'm as sentimental as they come.........just not tonight.

Dang.

Dead rat on ice. Cash-flow heading out.

Under these circumstances, I can see why the commercial didn't exactly tug at ya a little.

Maybe you could watch it in the barn next to the dead li'l sucker? The smell alone is probably enough to bring a tear to your eye...
(just messin' with you a little... )

Dawg, that's some serious dedication on your part. Your daughter is lucky. Her Pops is a good man.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/03/14 12:30 AM
Well, so far I like the Radio Shack "The 80s called and they want their store back" ad, and the Cheerios one where the dad is explaining how the little girl is gong to have a little brother ....... and she looks him dead in the eye and says "And a puppy".
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/03/14 12:32 AM
I liked the time machine.
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/03/14 01:02 AM
What's with the Coca-Cola commercial?
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/03/14 01:08 AM
Quote:

Agree. We are a diverse nation and I love that but it's "Out of many, one". It doesn't work the other way. In fact it lessens us.
No apologies. It was crap.
Posted By: Swish Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/03/14 01:13 AM
the transformers commercial.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/03/14 02:53 AM
That Doritos commercial was great!
Posted By: columbusdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/03/14 03:19 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Agree. We are a diverse nation and I love that but it's "Out of many, one". It doesn't work the other way. In fact it lessens us.

I've got o believe they are going to catch a lot of crap for that commercial. What garbage.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/03/14 03:20 AM
Quote:

Incredibly stupid... I give it two thumbs down

Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/03/14 04:29 AM
Different strokes for different folks. I thought it was pretty great.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/03/14 04:40 AM
I liked the Sean commercial. So feeling that.
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/03/14 05:32 AM
Let me see, off the top of my head ... The Doberhuahua was great. The Radioshack 80's commercial, the Doritos time-machine and T-mobile ones with Tebow were good as well.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/03/14 05:58 AM
Quote:

I believe it was to show diversity.. And that as many countries we think hate us...The people who live here don't....I was cool with it.... Who are we to judge a language when the rights of others are being published daily for their needs to feel equal.

It's America....Love it !.... Don't judge it...or you will be like everyone else.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/03/14 06:01 AM
jc

The David Beckham commerical was the clear winner.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/03/14 06:03 AM
Come on Eve.. you should have used this... instead....
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/03/14 06:21 AM
If I was sharing pants with him I'd probably make that face lol
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/03/14 06:23 AM
lmao ! tears Eve !
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/03/14 07:26 AM
Quote:

Quote:

I believe it was to show diversity.. And that as many countries we think hate us...The people who live here don't....I was cool with it.... Who are we to judge a language when the rights of others are being published daily for their needs to feel equal.

It's America....Love it !.... Don't judge it...or you will be like everyone else.

I got a completely different read from the 'controversial' Coke commercial than many in this thread. I'm in Deisle's camp- I actually liked it.

For me, it said this: America is the one place on Earth that everyone comes to. They speak different languages and hail from different points on the globe, but ALL choose as their destination, this place.

The choice of "America The Beautiful" wasn't coincidence, either. "Oh beautiful for spacious skies; for amber waves of grain" sets the tone. The next line sung in English: "America, America- God shed His grace of thee." The last sung in English: "From sea to shining sea."

I was not insulted in the least. On the contrary, It actually touched me.... and I'm surprised that I've seen such a strong negative reaction to it in this thread. While watching it, I didn't even consider that others might not react in the same way I did... I just assumed that everyone would see it as I did.

In my humble opinion, there really is something to the philosophy of 'American Exceptionalism.' What makes this country special is the exceptional people who make their ways to these shores. In 1740. In 1802. In 1890. In 1920. In 1980. In 2014.

I come from a family of immigrants. So do you all. So do the peoples represented in this commercial. The strongest, brightest, fiercest, most determined Human Beings from all over the world make their ways to these shores to be part of this grand 200+ year-old civic experiment. America is exceptional because of the promise she represents to ALL people. A promise that gets fulfilled when a new citizen raises his/her right hand at all naturalization ceremonies. A promise that is enhanced and paid forward by every immigrant success story that gets played out upon these shores.

Without diversity, without dialogue, without dissent, discussion and yes- dialect, we are less than our potential.

We can fight about this in some other thread, at some other time. I loved the commercial, and found it to be one of the best of the evening.

If it's just me and Deezy, it's still easy-peasy. We can hold it up. Together. We're Americans.
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/03/14 07:37 AM
I loved the idea of the commercial.

I was talking with my roommate up here about it. I explained to him the "controversy" behind the advertisement. He didn't see the issue, either. We both agreed this nation is a melting pot that needs to embrace the racial, cultural, and ethnic diversity.

So what if people sing an American patriotic song in the language they deem most comfortable to them? They are given them the freedom to do so. They appreciate what this country has to offer in promising freedom to use whichever language they wish. They appreciate what this country promises in equitable rights for all citizens of this country regardless of gender, religion, race, culture, etc.

I don't see the big deal, honestly.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/03/14 07:53 AM
I thought that Butterfinger commercial was both weird and disturbing. lol

I liked Dorito's commercials.

I liked the Hyundai ad set to Evil Woman.

Radio Shack "The 80s called" was great.

The Chevy ad was ...... different. Hello ladies.

I thought the Oikos commercial was funny.

This one brought a tear to my eye.

And probably my favorite ........

That little kid is great.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/03/14 08:04 AM
Thumbs up in support of your last 2 choices, Y.

Budweiser always does a great job with their Super Bowl ads. It really did make me have to catch my breath.

I'm also glad that General Mills decided to give 'the family' another Super Bowl shot. Given the immediate backlash they received last year, I was sure I'd never see another commercial with this cast. Good for them- for sticking to their guns.

Can't wait to see next year's commercial with "new baby brother" -and the puppy.
Posted By: CaptainCheckdown Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/03/14 08:24 AM
Not sure I get the outrage for it either. There's reasons to dislike Coca Cola. Like what they do to the price of water in third world countries and the fact that there's something like 15 tablespoons of sugar in a 12 oz. can.

That commercial doesn't make the cut.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/03/14 10:16 AM
Best Commercials

1 Radio Shack
2. Dannon yogert
3. Bud with the adopted puppy

Worst by far, hands down no contest. The Coke commercial, what a load of horse crap.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/03/14 10:32 AM
Quote:

Best Commercials

1 Radio Shack
2. Dannon yogert

Worst by far, hands down no contest. The Coke commercial, what a load of horse crap.

Which one....?
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/03/14 10:38 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I've got o believe they are going to catch a lot of crap for that commercial. What garbage.

Apologies to GM, I'm assuming he mean this one.

What was wrong with it exactly? They weren't disrespecting the song. It was showing how diverse America is.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/03/14 02:59 PM
j/c

was their a car company that didn't have a commercial? hated that every other commercial was a car one though I found the Maserati for the working man commercial to be high comedy.

my favorites:

NJ/NY themed mobster Peanut M&M commercial
Tebow!!! (love when people are able to make fun of themselves)
Full House yogurt commercial
Radioshack 80s commercial
Posted By: ErikInHell Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/03/14 04:44 PM
Great. My wife now wants a Doberhuahua.
Posted By: Lemmys_Wart Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/03/14 04:54 PM
Quote:

Great. My wife now wants a Doberhuahua.

That's truth in engineering.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/03/14 08:56 PM
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/04/14 12:18 AM
Quote:

Not sure I get the outrage for it either. There's reasons to dislike Coca Cola.

You are welcome to your opinion and I am welcome to mine. That commercial most definitely was a good reason in my book.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/04/14 01:59 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Best Commercials

1 Radio Shack
2. Dannon yogert

Which one....?

The one that was mostly not in English.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/04/14 02:01 AM
Quote:

Apologies to GM, I'm assuming he mean this one.

No apologies ever needed bro
Posted By: AC001 Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/04/14 04:11 AM
My favorite was fox's 10 second ad for 24, just simply because it reminded me that 24 is coming back.
Posted By: Kingcob Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/04/14 05:07 AM
Tebow is so immensely likeable that commercial really sold him for me. I hope he can succeed in the NFL or up in the CFL.

That coke commercial...bleh. I understand celebrating diversity but no one sings America the Beautiful in other languages. So that was pretty much nonsense. Coming from a guy living in Thailand...Outside of possibly Chinese...English is the world language. Diversity be damned lets all speak the same language so we can communicate.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/04/14 05:31 AM
Quote:

English is the world language. Diversity be damned lets all speak the same language so we can communicate.

"Tower of Babel," anyone?

Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/04/14 06:28 AM
j/c... for balance:

Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/04/14 07:04 AM

I posed this same argument to a friend today. They ended up doing mental gymnastics around it.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/04/14 09:59 AM
Quote:

j/c... for balance:

The other Indian tribes wouldn't even understand as their were 100's of different languages back then, which sure didn't help unite all the tribes
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/04/14 10:29 AM
Quote:

Quote:

j/c... for balance:

The other Indian tribes wouldn't even understand as their were 100's of different languages back then, which sure didn't help unite all the tribes

Have you been to the south?
Posted By: Jester Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/04/14 10:39 AM
One problem with these types of discussions is that many people assume that English is our official language here in the US. Fact is, there is no official language.

I personally believe that we should have an official language. Not sure if it should be English or called American because our English is much different than the English spoken in England. Lots of implications in doing or not doing this, but way too early in the morning for such a discussion.
Posted By: BCbrownie Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/04/14 01:56 PM
America the Beautiful one of the great patriotic songs.It was written by a Russian born Jewish immigrant.We'll celebrate that fact,but by God you better sing it in English.
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/04/14 04:15 PM
Quote:

America the Beautiful one of the great patriotic songs.It was written by a Russian born Jewish immigrant.We'll celebrate that fact,but by God you better sing it in English.

?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America_the_Beautiful
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katharine_Lee_Bates
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_A._Ward

Though Katharine Lee Bates was most likely a lesbian. But they are both American and Christian.
Posted By: Lemmys_Wart Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/04/14 05:13 PM
Quote:

Quote:

j/c... for balance:

Native American is the preferred nomenclature, Dude.
Posted By: Lemmys_Wart Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/04/14 05:15 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Not sure I get the outrage for it either. There's reasons to dislike Coca Cola.

You are welcome to your opinion and I am welcome to mine. That commercial most definitely was a good reason in my book.

I don't understand the outrage over the Coke commercial. For one of you who is offended by it, can you please tell me why it offended/upset you? I'm legitimately curious.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/04/14 05:55 PM
Quote:

Not sure if it should be English or called American because our English is much different than the English spoken in England.

"US and Great Britain: two countries separated by a common language....."
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/04/14 06:00 PM
I'm curious too.

It looked to me that they were just tryin to show the diversity of America and how this country was made.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/04/14 06:03 PM
Quote:

Many, many times including one trip to Florida when we had to wait 1 hour to check in at the hotel because nobody working there spoke ENGLISH
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/04/14 06:08 PM
Quote:

Injuns dude
Posted By: Lemmys_Wart Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/04/14 06:26 PM
Quote:

I'm curious too.

It looked to me that they were just tryin to show the diversity of America and how this country was made.

Yep, same here.
Posted By: BCbrownie Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/04/14 06:26 PM
Crap,I've always thought Irving Berlin wrote that song.Turns out he penned God Bless America,another great one,and cause for my confusion.
Posted By: PDR Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/04/14 06:31 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Many, many times including one trip to Florida when we had to wait 1 hour to check in at the hotel because nobody working there spoke ENGLISH

I don't think I've ever waited an hour for anything I hadn't already paid for.
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/04/14 06:37 PM
Quote:

I find that incredibly hard to believe -- at least that the lack of a common language was the actual problem -- I've probably checked into a dozen hotels without sharing a common language with the staff... I can't say it's ever caused more than about 30 seconds of confusion.

Maybe they were idiots or jerks -- that's a pretty language independent thing that makes check-ins take awhile. Or maybe the room wasn't ready?
Posted By: PDR Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/04/14 07:19 PM
Yeah, I've had more than a few check-ins with a language barrier.

Never really had a problem. Learned a few words and phrases here and there (then promptly forgot most of them).
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/04/14 07:56 PM
Quote:

that is not true. American Indian is the preferred term.

http://blog.nmai.si.edu/main/2011/01/int...e-american.html

and the why:

Quote:

"Indian" is the term used in federal law. It is also the official term used by major U.S. Indian agencies and organizations, including the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Indian Health Service, National Congress of the American Indians, National Indian Education Association, and National Museum of the American Indian. In modern usage, the legal term "Indian" usually means an enrolled member of a federally recognized tribe (or one who is eligible to be enrolled in a federally recognized tribe).

Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/04/14 08:15 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Florida isn't part of the south...
Posted By: Lemmys_Wart Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/04/14 08:56 PM
Quote:

Quote:

that is not true. American Indian is the preferred term.

http://blog.nmai.si.edu/main/2011/01/int...e-american.html

and the why:

Quote:

"Indian" is the term used in federal law. It is also the official term used by major U.S. Indian agencies and organizations, including the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Indian Health Service, National Congress of the American Indians, National Indian Education Association, and National Museum of the American Indian. In modern usage, the legal term "Indian" usually means an enrolled member of a federally recognized tribe (or one who is eligible to be enrolled in a federally recognized tribe).

I was joking, it was a reference to The Big Lebowski when Walter corrects The Dude. The Dude calls Asian people Chinamen, and Walter corrects him by saying the preferred nomenclature is Asian-American. I was hoping somebody would have picked up on that, I guess I failed.
Posted By: DIEHARD Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/04/14 09:22 PM
j/c

Colbert nails it with his take here
Posted By: texaslostdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/04/14 11:01 PM
Quote:

Quote:

" MARLBORO...MARLBORO.... smokey, smokey, if you cant speak English how'd you get this f'n job" - Sam Kinison
Posted By: Swish Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/04/14 11:44 PM
jc

it just pisses me off how dumb americans can be, saying it was disrespectful to our country over that ad.

i'm part turkish, i speak turkce, i've been in the army for 8 years and deployed 4 times. i DARE somebody to come up to my face in front of my family and say i'm not patriotic because i know how to sing this song in turkce. i'm still american.
Posted By: texaslostdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 12:09 AM
yeah, I do not understand the angst over this ad....seems to me this diversity is what makes us great.

What if we sang it in French, German, Spanish and Swedish.. would that make it better somehow?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 12:39 AM
I can sort of understand people's angst over the ad. For me, I strongly prefer that the song is sung in English. I'm not going to go throw a temper tantrum over it, though.

From the reactions, you'd think the ad was a video of somebody walking over and peeing on the American flag. I understand people not liking the ad, but the outrage is too much.
Posted By: Kingcob Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 04:21 AM
I didn't catch the reference but I appreciate the effort
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 10:48 AM
Quote:

I find that incredibly hard to believe -- at least that the lack of a common language was the actual problem

Call Ripley's
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 04:21 PM
j/c…

Why don't you guys all go to another country and sing one of their anthems in 'american' and see how it goes?

I suppose we don't really have an identity as a country any more. Maybe we never have.
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 04:44 PM
Quote:

j/c…

Why don't you guys all go to another country and sing one of their anthems in 'american' and see how it goes?

Have you been to Europe before? Because it would really be perfectly fine. They are way more comfortable with the idea of people speaking other languages there (geographically they have to be, of course).

You go to a restaurant in Switzerland, and the wait-staff will pay attention to the language you are speaking as you walk in the door, so that they can address you immediately in the language you are most comfortable with (be it English, French, German, Swiss German, they all speak at least 3 of those 4). Same is true throughout most of Europe.

Edit: I actually recall this exact thing happening in Sweden. I was at a dinner and they had entertainment which was a group of Swedish folk singers (traditional Swedish music). They kept about 75% in Swedish but translated a few songs into English (I believe the singers had mostly done the translation themselves) - for some of the more lyrically interesting songs.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 04:48 PM
We are not Europe nor do many of us ever want to live there. Many people want one language spoken in this country, others could care less. We just have a difference in opinion about this subject bro.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 04:54 PM
Quote:

j/c…

I suppose we don't really have an identity as a country any more. Maybe we never have.

We have a winner.
Posted By: PDR Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 05:08 PM
Quote:

I can't think of many places that would really care.

I'm sure there are some, though.

I missed the ad when it aired, but upon hearing about it and watching it, I was baffled as to why it's an issue at all.

I was amused hearing some of the discourse, not so much here but on TV/radio...the ones who were whining the most were the type most like to crinkle their faces and roll their eyes at the idea of being 'P.C.'

You just want to smile and say 'pssst...'
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 05:13 PM
Quote:

I was amused hearing some of the discourse, not so much here but on TV/radio...the ones who were whining the most were the type most like to crinkle their faces and roll their eyes at the idea of being 'P.C.'

You just want to smile and say 'pssst...'

Heh, hadn't thought of that angle -- everybody likes being PC if it prevents people from saying things they don't like.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 05:44 PM
Quote:

j/c…

Because I don't live in another country. I took the ad as those people being Americans but singing in the language of whatever heritage they were. Take me for instance I'm part French so what if i sang it in French (don't know any though) does that make me less of an American?
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 05:53 PM
Quote:

jc

it just pisses me off how dumb americans can be, saying it was disrespectful to our country over that ad.

i'm part turkish, i speak turkce, i've been in the army for 8 years and deployed 4 times. i DARE somebody to come up to my face in front of my family and say i'm not patriotic because i know how to sing this song in turkce. i'm still american.

Swish - thanks for your service. You are an American and a hero.
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 07:50 PM
Quote:

I took the ad as those people being Americans but singing in the language of whatever heritage they were. Take me for instance I'm part French so what if i sang it in French (don't know any though) does that make me less of an American?

I've also got some French in me. German, too. Wouldn't catch me dead singing a song about America in another language. But, if you enjoy it, learn it and sing it. Loud and proud.

If it weren't important to learn the primary language of a country, why did our immigrant ancestors not carry on in their own languages? Eh, doesn't matter. I just don't understand Coca-Cola's point in dividing people…which they have clearly done. Unity my ass.
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 07:55 PM
Quote:

If it weren't important to learn the primary language of a country, why did our immigrant ancestors not carry on in their own languages? Eh, doesn't matter. I just don't understand Coca-Cola's point in dividing people…which they have clearly done. Unity my ass.

I think the point is that you can be American regardless of what language you speak (or even grew up speaking - since most Americans who natively speak another language also know English).

I think you are "dividing people" - by saying that those who speak English are more "American" than other Americans.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 08:00 PM
j/c

JMHO. but I think the point is, that having a language barrier doesn't help to "unify" anything. Diversity in culture is one thing, but when you throw up road blocks in communications, it divides, not unifies.
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 08:09 PM
Also, where is this idea coming from that until recently immigrants just immediately learned English and never spoke their own languages again?

If you look at Fig 17 here - the number of immigrants who speak English has actually gone up from about 70% to 90% in the past 100 years.

http://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/cr_59.htm
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 08:11 PM
I believe you might find that only includes the legal ones.

Posted By: clevesteve Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 08:12 PM
you know, when I saw this commercial during the super bowl, my only thought was, "Man... that was really cool." It inspired a feeling of pride in me.

Not once did I think anyone might be offended by this. I must be really naive. I guess my mistake was to underestimate the internet's capacity for butthurt.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 08:24 PM
Quote:

Quote:

I took the ad as those people being Americans but singing in the language of whatever heritage they were. Take me for instance I'm part French so what if i sang it in French (don't know any though) does that make me less of an American?

If it weren't important to learn the primary language of a country, why did our immigrant ancestors not carry on in their own languages?

But they did. There's a reason why English, Spanish, Dutch and French are the major primary languages in America.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 08:29 PM
Quote:

Quote:

I've also got some French in me. German, too. Wouldn't catch me dead singing a song about America in another language. But, if you enjoy it, learn it and sing it. Loud and proud.

Where in the hell did my "Like' button go

Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 08:31 PM
Quote:

Not once did I think anyone might be offended by this.

Me either. In fact, I've been surprised- shocked even- that this 'controversy' exists at all.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 08:34 PM
Quote:

you know, when I saw this commercial during the super bowl, my only thought was, "Man... that was really cool." It inspired a feeling of pride in me.

Not once did I think anyone might be offended by this. I must be really naive. I guess my mistake was to underestimate the internet's capacity for butthurt.

my honest reaction was: why are so many superbowl commercials going the sappy route this year!

I also didn't think anyone would care so much one way or the other though.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 08:52 PM
NRTU

If people are going to get pissy over Coke and boycott them, do it for the right reasons. For starters it's pretty unhealthy for you. For crying out loud they used to use COCAINE AS AN INGREDIENT. There are a ton of REAL reasons to boycott coca cola: Human rights record, support of nazi Germany during WWII, and etc. No, people are boycotting them because they got a offended due to a commercial demonstrating the fact we're a boiling pot.

Now before you get upset, read the bold and ask yourself what makes you more angry. If it's the commerical then God help you.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 09:01 PM
Quote:

If it's the commerical then God help you.

I was born into a military family. All my uncles, literally ALL of them served in some branch of the military. It's called "patriotism" and that commercial completely negated that in my uncles opinion, and in myself and in many others in my family.

JMO, but if you choose to dislike Coke over the commercial, then you have 100% all the right and justifiable reasoning to do that and don't need to dip into the company's history to find reasons to draw disgust. As I said, it's called "American Patriotism" and it runs very, very strong in my family. My brother (former mechanic in the Army) took so much offense, he's vowed to not even touch a Coke product ever again and knowing him, he'll take that to his death bed. My uncle (former Ranger) took all his coke cans (full and empty, he recycles) out behind his house and used them for target practice.

JMO though and just using "my" family as an example.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 09:09 PM
Quote:

It's called "patriotism"

It goes by a different name and I'm not about to light a fuse on this powder keg JMO.

However I must conclude by saying God bless you and your family for what they've done for this country.
Posted By: Swish Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 09:17 PM
but i'm in the military. you realize how diverse our military is right?

once again, i can sing the song in turkce? am i all of a sudden less patriotic than you? or is it because i find to have so much love for my country that i made sure to learn how to sing it in BOTH languages?

let that sink it, bro.
Posted By: PDR Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 09:21 PM
Quote:

Quote:

It's called "patriotism"

It goes by a different name and I'm not about to light a fuse on this powder keg JMO.

Xenophobia is a word that comes to mind.
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 09:26 PM
Quote:

I think the point is that you can be American regardless of what language you speak (or even grew up speaking - since most Americans who natively speak another language also know English).

I think you are "dividing people" - by saying that those who speak English are more "American" than other Americans.

I'm not sure I said anything about being more "American" if you speak English. I am talking about singing a traditional "American" song in other languages.

So, no…I'm not the one dividing people. I don't care who lives here if they do it the right way, or what language they speak. But I won't learn 20 different languages to be able to communicate with them. Hell, they won't even learn ONE.
Posted By: BCbrownie Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 09:43 PM
" For crying out loud they used to use COCAINE AS AN INGREDIENT. "

And when they stopped,I started boycotting them.
When I first saw this ad,I was so damned drunk I didn't even know they weren't singing English.Just thought they were bad singers.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 10:02 PM
Quote:

For crying out loud they used to use COCAINE AS AN INGREDIENT.

and, do you know why they stopped? it was still legal when they stopped using it in their formula:
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/01/why-we-took-cocaine-out-of-soda/272694/

Quote:

support of nazi Germany during WWII

ah, the good ole, well they advertised in Germany. here's an article that debunks anything further:
http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/fanta.asp

Quote:

Human rights record

I am certain there are human rights violations as there are likely in many companies that have been around for over 100yrs. Not excusing any that exist.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 10:43 PM
They actually had a plant in Germany. The plant's managers were Nazi members, well most of them were. That's why they're called out in supporting Nazi Germany. What's rather ironic is that their plant couldn't do anything once the war started because they couldn't get the syrup from America. They weren't the IBM of pops in the least.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 10:48 PM
Quote:

However I must conclude by saying God bless you and your family for what they've done for this country.

I am not in the military, I actually went the "college" route, which upset a lot of my family but... that's another story in itself. Thank you for the blessings for my family members though, thank you very much bro.

Quote:

once again, i can sing the song in turkce? am i all of a sudden less patriotic than you? or is it because i find to have so much love for my country that i made sure to learn how to sing it in BOTH languages?

let that sink it, bro.

First off, I am truly sorry if my words offended you in any way. Trust me 100% when I say that, I really mean it.

... now with that outta the way.

Yes I do, and it's great. It's super. People want to live in this country and call it home, it should be asked of some of them to serve for this great country in which they surely are. Nothing against these people whatsoever, nor nothing against their "level of patriotic views" either...

once again, i can sing the song in turkce? am i all of a sudden less patriotic than you?

Absolutely not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That wasn't the point I was getting across. America the Beautiful wasn't written in turkish language. It wasn't written in Turkey and it wasn't written by a Turk (forgive my terminology, I just don't know the proper names if there is/are such a thing for my context). It wasn't written anywhere else but America, for America by an American (Katherine Bates, in 1895 I think was when it was published) and I actually know for a fact that Bates was a Massachusetts born person. It is one of the iconic and some/most will say, most popular of American patriotic songs ever written. That is why the games in London had two different singers/people to sing the two national anthems. They just aren't meant to be mingled with one another, IMO.

It may be just the way my brain is wired, but the commercial shouldn't have been aired. It shouldn't have been produced. And if so, they shouldn't have plugged in one of the most iconic, American songs to that context. Do you think Katherine Bates would appreciate that? Me personally, I don't think there would be any appreciation there. It's an insult truthfully.

I'm not so wrapped up in myself to not realize that... not everyone shares my view and not everyone has the same opinion or post-action feelings as me. I am just here describing "my" view/opinion, nothing more... nothing less.

Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 10:51 PM
Quote:

I believe you might find that only includes the legal ones.

Wrong.. It is based on the US Census data - which goes to pretty sizable efforts to include the illegal immigrant population. The response rate from illegal immigrant families is lower - but this is why the Census Bureau employs an army of statisticians in trying to estimate the effect of non-response rates - as well as sending people out into areas with low response rates to directly judge the population demographics. In fact there are several paragraphs in the document I linked that talk about this.
Posted By: Swish Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 10:52 PM
gotcha. you know its all good bro. i understand now so it's cool
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 11:09 PM
Quote:

They actually had a plant in Germany. The plant's managers were Nazi members, well most of them were. That's why they're called out in supporting Nazi Germany. What's rather ironic is that their plant couldn't do anything once the war started because they couldn't get the syrup from America. They weren't the IBM of pops in the least.

yes, that is in the link I posted. the top guys were actually not Nazi's but it is likely many of the managers were (it was WWII Germany afterall).
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/05/14 11:35 PM
That certainly doesn't match up with my experiences.
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 12:04 AM
Quote:

That certainly doesn't match up with my experiences.

Well then, you should ignore it.... It's only facts.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 02:00 AM
Quote:

NRTU

If people are going to get pissy over Coke and boycott them, do it for the right reasons. For starters it's pretty unhealthy for you. For crying out loud they used to use COCAINE AS AN INGREDIENT. There are a ton of REAL reasons to boycott coca cola: Human rights record, support of nazi Germany during WWII, and etc. No, people are boycotting them because they got a offended due to a commercial demonstrating the fact we're a boiling pot.

Now before you get upset, read the bold and ask yourself what makes you more angry. If it's the commerical then God help you.

Great post, but I have to point this out. I think we are a "melting pot" rather than a "boiling pot," but if you read this thread..............you may be right.

This has been an amusing thread, but I suppose I should get serious.

I agree w/those who say I don't get why it is such a big deal. Wait. I think I do get it. Not sure I want to dwell on bigotry, though.

We all came from different countries. Most of our ancestors came here in search of better opportunities, such as:

---better economic opportunities
----to escape religious persecution, and
---political freedom.

Those are facts, not prejudiced opinions.

It seems to me that the commercial honored our diversity rather than mocked America. I believe some people need to read the inscription on the Statue of Liberty rather than listen to the rhetoric in red-neck bars.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 02:35 AM
Vers:

Because we're 2 different people, I would have stopped before: "...rather than listen to the rhetoric in red-neck bars."

Otherwise, you summed up my POV pretty well.

We're a pretty diverse bunch in here, as well... and it would be less than fair of me to automatically assume that those opposite of me on this issue are 'rednecks' (Gawd... I hate that term almost as much as I hate the 'N-Bomb'...).

This is not to scold you at all... rather, to place some context around my POV- and to give others the benefit of the doubt as to their motivations.

A previous poster mentioned his family legacy of military service as context for his anti-Coke POV. Another spoke of the diversity within the ranks of our armed forces. The difference in their viewpoints seems to stem not from their shared history as servicemen, but the mindsets of the households in which they were raised. To me, THIS is the very essence of what this country has always been about- the freedom to raise our families in accordance to what we feel is right, and to be able to express our opinions in open forums.

It's entirely possible that some are opposed to the ad from a bigoted or xenophobic mindset... but I have no definitive proof of that. AND... I've known many folks in my life who may live what's called a 'redneck' (ugh- there's that word, again..) lifestyle who aren't judgmental bigots at all. Life's kinda tricky in that way, you know? In the past, I've made assumptions about folks that have been completely debunked once I got to know them. It's happened so many times, I've revised my way of seeing people over the years. Imagine that- a guy in his 50's is more open and less judgmental than a guy in his 20's. Who'dathunkit possible?

Bottom line for me: I saw the ad through my own eyes, with my own life as context... and it affected me in a completely different way that it affected others. It's been an eye-opener for me to engage in this discussion, because I never once thought that anyone would get a different message from it than I did.

(I'm thinking of Ballpeen's sig as I write this.)

Has an opposing POV changed the way I saw the ad? Not even for a minute.
Do I think my POV has changed anyone else's opinion? Nope.
Do I think that they are wrong and I am right? Yes, I do- but it's not my place to tell them so.... because I don't have a lock on absolute knowledge. None of us do.

So- until such time as I become omniscient, I'll still give an ear to those who see things differently, on the chance that I may be misguided, misinformed, or just plain mistaken. I owe it to them, but more importantly- I owe it to me... for as long as I seek to better myself.

Working to keep an open mind is exhausting, yo....
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 02:50 AM
LOL................I understand. Truth be told, I am a bit of a red neck myself and don't find it derogatory at all.

We are all different, Clem. That is a fact. I was certainly poking fun at some people, but only to show them that generalizing groups of people is a very unfair of looking at things. I was showing them the mirror. Is that kind? Hell no. Is it effective when balanced w/soft-spoken logic like yours? I believe so.

Look Clem, I think we should celebrate our diversity. Our ancestors came here for a reason. The reasons I listed are factual. The words on the Statue of Liberty are there for a reason. We should not forget any of that. I believe it would be a mistake to turn into the elitist snobs or uneducated bigots that forced the Puritans to become Separatists w/the Church of England.

If one can not celebrate our great diversity, we should at least be tolerant of our differences. We do not have to all agree. We do not all have to be alike. We should at least respect the uniqueness of each individual culture and the differences of the individual. I will leave you w/a rather obscure quote:

Quote:

Tolerance means freedom to me: I have the right to be myself but I respect others as well, cause it cuts both ways. It's also mutual understanding and equality. People should be different, but they should not see the differences as separating obstacles.
Aga Kloc, 21, Gdansk (Poland)

Posted By: jfanent Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 02:59 AM
Puedo ver ambos lados de este debate. Yo creo que cualquier persona que quiere ser parte de la sociedad de este país debe ser bastante fluidez en Inglés. La mayoría que ver este post estaría de acuerdo. Mis antepasados poner adelante un gran esfuerzo para aprender el idioma, y estaban bastante orgullosos de sí mismos por haberlo hecho. Sin embargo, no veo que esto contradice ese punto de vista comercial.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 03:04 AM
Quote:

I can see both sides of this debate. I believe that anyone who wants to be a part of this country's society must be very fluent in English. The majority who see this post would agree. My ancestors put forth a lot of effort to learn the language, and were pretty proud of themselves for having done. However, I do not see that this contradicts the commercial point of view.

Well done.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 04:40 AM
If you look at American history, difference and prejudice takes many forms.

In the 1800's it was Italian, German, Norwegian, Irish, Polish, Greek and many of the other homogenized ethnicity that we now consider of European decent.

If we choose, religion can be divisive, Wars have been fought over that too.

Now difference generally means those of a different complexion.

I am a content of the character person. The window dressing means little to me.

If we consider ourselves a melting pot or collage... it really does not matter.

It helps if we speak a same language though, ant this is where people get hung up, is if it is the only language.... and that occurs on both sides, which is frankly closed minded from either perspective.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 04:43 AM
"American Exceptionalism".

I believe in it... But from a slightly different viewpoint than one might get from Rush Linbaugh or FOX News' "The Five:"

I believe in it, because of what you alluded to in your initial post- -the inscription at the base of the Statue Of Liberty:

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me.
I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

America's populace has always been a collection of misfits, malcontents and mutts.... and that fact lives at the the very heart of why we are who we are.

Most who fight their asses off to come here hail from the most impoverished, persecuted, beaten-down populations that spawned them... but their drive, determination and desire for a better life hones them into the very folks we should WANT as American citizens.

Whether they came here from Pakistan, Bangladesh, The Congo, The Balkans or Tibet, they came here because of a supreme act of will... against all odds.

Who doesn't like the story of the underdog who makes it?

IMHO, this was the genius behind our country's founding... and I credit the Founding Fathers for seeing it (or 'lucking into' it-) when they set this country up:

By providing a haven for the world's dregs/victims, America has offered a home to the most driven, dedicated people on Earth.... and THAT has always been the key to 'American Exceptionalism.'

The very people who were trashed, thrashed and gashed have become part of a nation that now provides aid and comfort to the very countries that did those people wrong in the first place.

Karma be a true bitch- you know?

Every immigrant population (except one) that has ever come to our shores has had to overcome the hazing that 'Established America' visits upon them. Italians, Irish, Germans, Greeks, (modern day) Africans, Indians, Asians... you name it- they all emigrate here because of the promise that this nation offers. What's a little "New World Playground Injustice," compared to the struggles they had to endure, just to get to these shores?

By our very nature- our makeup... we consistently create the best citizens a planet can provide.

When I engage with other Dawgs in conversations like these, I try to never forget this framework, when I post (yet) another offering. It gives me a moral/ethical/political 'center' for the things I share with My DT Homies. I hope that it lends my posts a certain gravitas that allows others to consider my POV... in the same manner as I've considered theirs.

The 'boiling/melting pot' is who we are. The 'stew' that makes us America is made of the best that the world can offer.

The source of our internal/eternal dissension is the same source that gives us our inherent strengths.

Ponder that for a minute, My Dawgs- and you'll see why I don't usually weigh in on the latest 'micro-political' threads....

Clemdawg.

Posted By: PDR Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 04:51 AM
Quote:

Yo creo que cualquier persona que quiere ser parte de la sociedad de este país debe ser bastante fluidez en Inglés.

I will agree with 'should'.

'Must'...not so much.

There is a big part of our society and economy that depends on immigrants, and speaking English isn't necessarily a requirement.

That's semantics, to an extent. But 'must'? Nah.

That's a result of our economy. If you want to be upset about it, which is a valid feeling, be upset at our economic structure, not the people who don't speak English.

If you don't have to extend yourself...you usually don't.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 05:10 AM
Quote:

Puedo ver ambos lados de este debate. Yo creo que cualquier persona que quiere ser parte de la sociedad de este país debe ser bastante fluidez en Inglés. La mayoría que ver este post estaría de acuerdo. Mis antepasados poner adelante un gran esfuerzo para aprender el idioma, y estaban bastante orgullosos de sí mismos por haberlo hecho. Sin embargo, no veo que esto contradice ese punto de vista comercial.

jfan:

I love the fact that I had to work my ass off to understand what you were telling me. The effort made me (imho) a better American/world citizen.

Thank you for that.

For some time, I've been considering Rosetta Stone programs to enhance my ability to converse with other Earthfolks. Amy Chang is a cellist in our section.... it would be most cool to 'drop some Mandarin' on her, when she least expected it!

Additionally, I'd love to go to Italy, Germany, France, Russia, and the Czech Republic to visit the homeplaces of the composers who have meant so much to me... and at least be able to show them a measure of respect that comes from TRYING to learn their languages.

From my experiences, the effort is all that's required... to break down political barriers. Most folks will go more than halfway... if they trust that one's efforts are genuine.

If I can manage that, I've actually made 'Americans' better World Citizens.... and that's important, in this ever-changing world dynamic.

In my POV, that can't be a bad thing, no matter what way you slice it-
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 07:27 AM
Quote:

This is sad. I use Rosetta Stone way too damn much.

I didn't understand all of it, but I understood at least 80% of this the first time I read it.
Posted By: Lemmys_Wart Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 01:13 PM
All of this outrage and arguing over a 30-second advertisement from a company which produces sugar-filled beverages. Fascinating.

I still can't comprehend why people are offended by the commercial, because an American song was sang in different languages?
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 02:31 PM
Quote:

j/c…

Michelle, if this was the official national anthem at the beginning of the game, I would be inclined to agree with you... but it wasn't. It was a commercial.

Look at it this way... if I say "I love you"... (which I do by the way.. ) you know what that means.. if I say "Je t'aime"... that means I love you in French, if I say "te amo" that means I love you in Spanish, if I say "Watashi wa, anata o aishite imasu".. that is the very long way to say I love you in Japanese... in any case, what do I love? YOU.

So what difference does it make what language I say "I love America" in? America is still the object of my affection.
Posted By: Lemmys_Wart Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 03:06 PM
Quote:

Quote:

j/c…

Michelle, if this was the official national anthem at the beginning of the game, I would be inclined to agree with you... but it wasn't. It was a commercial.

Look at it this way... if I say "I love you"... (which I do by the way.. ) you know what that means.. if I say "Je t'aime"... that means I love you in French, if I say "te amo" that means I love you in Spanish, if I say "Watashi wa, anata o aishite imasu".. that is the very long way to say I love you in Japanese... in any case, what do I love? YOU.

So what difference does it make what language I say "I love America" in? America is still the object of my affection.

Where is the "like" button on these boards?
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 03:43 PM
That's great. I get it….I really do. I can see BOTH sides of things and happen to lean more toward one than the other.

Not sure where all the rude comments and stereotyping are coming from in some of these replies, but it doesn't really surprise me. Nobody really reads what people say anymore…they just assume they know and move on with their own bs.

*Unity* Gotta love it.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 03:58 PM
Quote:

All of this outrage and arguing over a 30-second advertisement from a company which produces sugar-filled beverages. Fascinating.

I still can't comprehend why people are offended by the commercial, because an American song was sang in different languages?

+1

I thought all the Super Bowl commericals were dumb.
Posted By: DIEHARD Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 03:58 PM
Quote:

Quote:

j/c…

Winner. <End of Thread/>
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 04:53 PM
I still love you.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 06:11 PM
Quote:

It was a commercial.

I didn't like the commercial, but ya'll know what I have the problem with is people living in America who can't speak English. It just chaps my ass.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 06:15 PM
Quote:

It just chaps my ass.

Yes, extremely digs into my pet peeve pocket as' well.
Posted By: Swish Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 06:34 PM
fun fact!

whats the official language of the united states?

http://answers.usa.gov/system/templates/...guage-of-the-US

well...whoops.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 06:51 PM
another fun fact

what's the unofficial language in the United States

English

opps
Posted By: Swish Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 07:19 PM
i'm glad its unofficial.

nobody has a problem with the asians in the back speaking chinese when they are cooking your food, or the mexicans in the back speaking spanish when they are cooking your food, or the people that clean your hotel room when you leave speaking whatever. or the indian guy that owns the subway making you boss ass sandwiches, or the arab guy always smiling at you at the gas stations.

but the moment those same americans show their pride by singing a american themed song, in their heritage, about the country they love, its a problem with some people?

i want people to not think i'm throwing my military background around, but if i walk around in uniform, and sing that song in turkce, with my deployment patch and Combat action Badge on, i seriously doubt somebody is going to say anything to my face about it.

cause i don't see people outraged in the streets, i see them outraged on the internet, where they are safe from actually being seen in public showing their "beliefs".
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 07:43 PM
Well said.

This mini boycott of Coke products reminds me of the Cleveland boycott of Heinz products after they secured the naming rights to the Steelers stadium. Really, it's that important to you? Please.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 07:46 PM
So, you are, at a minimum, bilingual. That is fantastic - and I mean that in all sincerity.

As for the ad - I didn't care for it - but not because other languages were spoken/sung. I just didn't care for it. As well, I felt most of the ads were lacking, for lack of a better term.

As to your generalizations about mexicans, asians, people that clean hotel rooms, indians and asians, etc. Geez - that could be construed as racist, couldn't it?

As for a national language - I don't think anyone cares what people speak at home, or in the back rooms of where ever - in fact, I think it's great that people are bi-lingual, tri, etc. but in all actuality, we need to have one "official" language that all people are capable of using.

Someone earlier mentioned being in Europe where people at a restaurant noticed what language people spoke, then spoke to them in that language: that is fantastic. I also bet those wait people, etc, spoke their country's native language just as well, if not better, than they spoke other languages.
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 07:54 PM
Quote:

Someone earlier mentioned being in Europe where people at a restaurant noticed what language people spoke, then spoke to them in that language: that is fantastic. I also bet those wait people, etc, spoke their country's native language just as well, if not better, than they spoke other languages.

That's certainly true - but two things:

1.) There is less immigration into most of these countries compared to the US - that is a good thing for us overall - but it also means that the percentage of people who don't speak the language fluently will be higher than normal.

2.) I think most people who immigrate to the US are learning the language. (The figure I showed before says that the percentage of immigrants (both legal and illegal) with command of the language has gone up in the last 100 years, not down). But it doesn't happen instantly, and I don't think you should demand that anybody who comes here is already fluent in the language.

3.) Also, english is an very hard language to learn -- comparably.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 08:03 PM
Quote:

nobody has a problem with the asians in the back speaking chinese when they are cooking your food, or the mexicans in the back speaking spanish when they are cooking your food, or the people that clean your hotel room when you leave speaking whatever. or the indian guy that owns the subway making you boss ass sandwiches, or the arab guy always smiling at you at the gas stations.

I have to disagree bro. I have a problem with all of those because they are not speaking English. Now I show my beliefs on the internet or in person. Just ask those who have met me.
Posted By: Swish Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 08:05 PM
oh i agree. the ads in general were lame.

too much emotional crap. i watch the commercials for die hard laughs. we got enough patriotic pride when the national anthem was song(which was glorious!!)

i just think some people are outrage...with no real reason behind it.

i mean Dawg_LB didn't like it, but his reasoning make absolute sense. while i don't agree, i can see where the man is coming from, and i can't argue with that.

but others? i don't anybody on this board, but i'm wondering if the people that are outraged over this ad even bothered to learn another language, half way decently at that.
Posted By: Swish Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 08:06 PM
so you think people should only speak english in america?
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 08:09 PM
I won't argue any of your points - other than 1 thing: I didn't say anyone needed to know english before they came here - but they really should be able to functionally speak english within, say a year or so, wouldn't you think?

I know a gentleman, came here from Mexico. Speaks english haltingly......but he was able to work at, and retire from "Yee M". He's been here for well over 30 years, and he does more than just struggle with english......he can hardly speak it. (oh, he retired from GM.) That's just one person, I know.

I count bi linguals as an asset, or tri linguals.....etc - but this country runs on english.

And again, I'm not even mentioning the coke commercial. It did nothing for me, good or bad.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 08:09 PM
Yes Sir
Posted By: Swish Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 08:12 PM
but thats the difference arch.

when you come to this country, you SHOULD be required to learn english in a reasonable time. you don't have to be off the wall fluent, because god knows we have full blooded americans living here right now that butcher the language, but we shouldn't have to struggle to understand what you're saying.

that being said, people are outrage as if thats what that ad represented. it seems like people are outrage over the fact that another language is even tolerated in our country period. like i'm not allowed to speak Turkce. i'm only allowed to speak english.
Posted By: Swish Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 08:13 PM
while i don't agree. at least your consistent in your belief. i'll give you that. i just don't understand why, if this country was ran by you, i wouldn't be allowed to speak Turkce....ever.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 08:15 PM
Quote:

Quote:

I have to disagree bro. I have a problem with all of those because they are not speaking English. Now I show my beliefs on the internet or in person. Just ask those who have met me.

But are we sure the two guys in the back of the restuarant speaking X to each other can't speak English too? Maybe it's easier for them to communicate in their native tongue? And if they don't know enough English now, maybe they're in the process of learning it too. I don't think someone can hear two people not using English and assume anything.

I think I said this before on here. Say your company or a rival company offered you $500,000-1,000,000 a year to perform your job in Mexico for 2-3 years. You say yes and go there. Assuming you don't already know Spanish you'd be out of place and most of the people would be upset at you for not speaking Spanish but you know you would be trying to learn and eventually get it. But that guy that served you a coffee on Day 3 might still think you're unwilling to learn and want you to leave the country.

My in-laws speak a lot of non-English around town and I think I can pick up that some others don't like it. But I know all of them also know English very well. They just talk to each other because it's part of who they are.

I would think most people that don't know English in the States are trying to learn. Sure, some aren't, but do you know which ones are which?
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 08:16 PM
Oh I'm not saying you wouldn't or shouldn't speak it in your own home or around family or friends, just not in public around others who don't speak Turkce bro.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 08:19 PM
Quote:

while i don't agree. at least your consistent in your belief. i'll give you that. i just don't understand why, if this country was ran by you, i wouldn't be allowed to speak Turkce....ever.

GM can speak for himself, but I don't think he's saying what you think he's saying.

If I were at your house, I'd love to hear you speak Turkce. But if you walk into a business, I would certainly hope you could speak english, because otherwise, we just won't be able to communicate in any way other than "cave man".

I wish I was bi lingual. I can speak enough (well, no that's not true anymore) but at one time, I could speak enough spanish to get by in Mexico.........but if I lived there, I certainly wouldn't expect THEM to cater to my language. Same with german, or italian, or swahili, or chinese, etc. When there is an accepted norm for language, learn it, soon, or don't gripe about it.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 08:20 PM
Quote:

I think I said this before on here. Say your company or a rival company offered you $500,000-1,000,000 a year to perform your job in Mexico for 2-3 years. You say yes and go there. Assuming you don't already know Spanish you'd be out of place and most of the people would be upset at you for not speaking Spanish but you know you would be trying to learn and eventually get it. But that guy that served you a coffee on Day 3 might still think you're unwilling to learn and want you to leave the country.

1st off I wouldn't take the job. No amount of money is worth moving away from my family and friends. Now just assume I would take the job. I would not go to Mexico without learning Spanish 1st. I Just would feel right going to their country without being able to speak their language.
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 08:22 PM
Quote:

Oh I'm not saying you wouldn't or shouldn't speak it in your own home or around family or friends, just not in public around others who don't speak Turkce bro.

Why - your right to not feel uncomfortable trumps his right (as a citizen) to speak to his friends in a language that they are most comfortable with? Really? Let's say that they are discussing some book written in Turkce - or they are quoting what somebody's grandmother said the other day?

They all need to understand each other somewhat less well - just so that you (not involved in the conversation whatsoever) feels better?

That's like saying that others shouldn't be able to listen to rap, because I only like country and it irritates me if somebody expresses themselves in a way that is more comfortable to them.

Or saying that nobody should be able to wear jeans - because I think a decent society requires khakis.

That's crazy.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 08:25 PM
Quote:

Quote:

1st off I wouldn't take the job. No amount of money is worth moving away from my family and friends. Now just assume I would take the job. I would not go to Mexico without learning Spanish 1st. I Just would feel right going to their country without being able to speak their language.

Well, in the hypothetical situation was that you had to accept right away....and you accepted. I wouldn't want to live or work in Mexico either. I think I could learn the language on the fly fast enough that I'd be okay.

I'm right there with all of you. If guy X walks into your hardware store and doesn't speak English but still demands service, you're either going to have to grunt your way through his needs or gets shown the door.

Maybe this guy X just moved here last week and is in process of learning. If I knew that, I'd try being patient with him. To your point, maybe he's been coming into your shop for 15 years, in that case, I'd be upset at him too.

As for two people talking in another language to each other in public, come on. If you're not part of the conversation, what should you care? And like I said above, you may not even know if they can speak English too.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 08:28 PM
Now hold on their I wear jeans to weddings, and funerals. I don't even own a pair of khakis

Let me repeat something I have said on this message board dozens of times over the years. If you can't speak english then get the hell out of the country. That's how I feel and I won't apoligize if that upsets or offends you. If you don't agree with me thats fine you have a right to your feelings just like I have a right to mine.

Also Rap sucks lol
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 08:29 PM
Yeah, I read an article the other day that touted the fact that roughly 20% of Americans can speak a language language other than English well enough to hold a conversation. I have seen numbers anywhere from 20-25%.

That means that 75% - 80% of Americans are "English only", when it comes to language.

Frankly, I am of the opinion that someone coming to America should learn the language in order to acclimate to their new home. I do not feel that they should expect their new country to adapt to them regarding language.

As far as the commercial, I cannot ever remember hearing of the national anthem or America the beautiful in a language other than English. I do not remember ever hearing the national anthem sung in Mandarin, Japanese, Lebanese, or any other language. Does doing so offend me? I don't think it necessarily offends me ...... but I do think that it is something that rarely happens.

I do seem to recall the Chinese playing America the Beautiful at one of their space launches shortly after 9/11 as a sign of support for the victims of the 9/11 attacks ..... but I really don't recall too many other instances of it happening in other languages.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 08:33 PM
Quote:

As for two people talking in another language to each other in public, come on. If you're not part of the conversation, what should you care? And like I said above, you may not even know if they can speak English too.

Oh it's easy enough to find out if they can speak english. Trust me a few choice words directed at them tells you really quick if they can speak english.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 08:36 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Oh it's easy enough to find out if they can speak english. Trust me a few choice words directed at them tells you really quick if they can speak english.

Haha...fair enough. If you're ready to fight over something like that, it's your choice. If you try that on a few of my uncles and you'd find out the hard way that they can.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 08:38 PM
Hey no problem a few punches, some rolling around on the ground, and we would head to the bar and buy each other a few beers lol
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 08:39 PM
Yeah, i think it would tell everybody in the area much more about GM than it would against those who "dare use a language GM doesn't understand"
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 08:40 PM
Quote:

Hey no problem a few punches, some rolling around on the ground, and we would head to the bar and buy each other a few beers lol

Honestly, why would they want to deal with you again - after you made it clear you don't respect them?

I can't figure out if you're joking, or really have had so few experiences with immigrants that you don't realize that would be ridiculously offensive.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 08:40 PM
Years ago, when I sold cars, I worked with a guy who was stationed in the Far East while he was in the military. He spoke several languages fluently.

He had this Vietnamese couple come in to buy a car the one day, and he never told them that he spoke their language. Evidently they kept talking back and forth about how dim he was, and how they were going to really take him for every last penny. They were down to brass tacks on the deal, and the husband said to the wife that he was going to buy the car, but that he was "going to get this idiot to throw in the warranty", or something like that. The salesman kept quiet, but told the boss not to throw it in. He went back and told the people that he was sorry, but the boss wouldn't do it. The guy laughed and said that he would take it anyway. Then the salesman said thank you, in detail, in their language. You should have seen the looks on their faces when they realized that he understood everything they said.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 08:41 PM
LMAO yep like I am really worried about what others think of me bro. People can like me or hate me no skin off my nose. I'm to old to waste time worrying about it.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 08:45 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Honestly, why would they want to deal with you again - after you made it clear you don't respect them?

I can't figure out if you're joking, or really have had so few experiences with immigrants that you don't realize that would be ridiculously offensive.

I'm not joking at all. I feel like anybody who comes to this country and can't speak English has already disrespected me, and this country. So i'm not worried at all if I hurt their feelings on this subject.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/06/14 09:08 PM
I Love that story Ytown
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/07/14 01:26 AM
This thread had some potential awhile ago, but has become stupid.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/07/14 02:33 AM
Thank god you typed that in English
Posted By: PDR Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/07/14 02:45 AM
Quote:

Are you saying that two people shouldn't converse in a language other than English while in public?
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/07/14 02:55 AM
In this country YES. I am sure you will not agree with me either bro, and that's fine bash away
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/07/14 02:57 AM
Quote:

Thank god you typed that in English

Este hilo tiene algunas posibles hace bastante tiempo, pero se ha convertido en un estúpido.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/07/14 03:11 AM
I expected nothing less from you buddy In plain old english screw you
Posted By: PDR Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/07/14 03:23 AM
Quote:

In this country YES. I am sure you will not agree with me either bro, and that's fine bash away

It's certainly one of the dumbest notions that I've ever heard.

So if you were visiting another country, you would feel the need to refrain from speaking English when you're walking down the street talking with your wife or friend or whoever?
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/07/14 04:33 AM
Oh hell yes I would. I would feel like I was disrespecting people if I didn't.

Quote:

It's certainly one of the dumbest notions that I've ever heard.

I guess you never read any of your on posts then
Posted By: PDR Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/07/14 05:06 AM
What, exactly, is disrespectful about it?

No offense, but that's some of the most P.C. nonsense I've ever heard.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/07/14 05:39 AM
We speak english in this country. If you don't care enough to learn the local language before you come to our country then that is disrespectful IMO.

and just how in the hell is that PC?
Posted By: JulesDawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/07/14 01:15 PM
If I go to live in another country I think it would be amazingly rude of me not to learn the language of the country. I would learn the language and the customs of that country. That is how I would handle it, but obviously other people see it differently.

I thought the commercial was stupid, but that's as far as it goes. Of course, because I thought it was dumb, I'm a bigot. It's interesting how many of those who profess to be open minded and tolerant are often the least accepting of differing views and resort to pigeonholing and name calling.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/07/14 02:06 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Are you saying that two people shouldn't converse in a language other than English while in public?

I won't go as far as GM.. but if you are going to live here, not just visit here but live here... don't walk into my store speaking some broken foreign dialect and get mad when I can't understand you. And don't expect me to have signs and paperwork in your language so you can fill them out for a loan or whatever. I know businesses do because it's their business decision... but if you are going to live and work here, you should make a serious effort to learn the language.
Posted By: Swish Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/07/14 02:23 PM
so you're saying the moment they come off the plane, they have zero time to get use to the language, they better know it right then and there.

let me tell you about most foreign people, especially being from a family that migrated over here: they don't expect anybody to help them. they know what they need to do, and the first thing is talk with americans to get use to the language and the slang. my dad told me when he moved over here from Turkey, the only english he knew was the rosetta stone version with the tape cassettes. him and my grandfather would sit in public places in cleveland and just pay attention to how people spoke, and how their body language moved with their speech. in Turkey we don't use too much body language, but its big here in america. most people already know how to read, at least well enough to get by. and don't have much problems understand what english speaking people are trying to say. its speaking back that is the problem.

its the same thing when i go see my family in Turkey. my grandad and Dad only had each other to talk to in Turkce here in america, so over the years it was less and less Turkce and more and more english. so when they taught me, it was pretty much slang and broke Turkce. so when i went to see my family there, i understood everything thats going on, but speaking back was a nightmare. it took time.

and thats what you need to understand, it takes time. especially when you move from another country. hell, british people have a hard time understand our english sometimes, and they INVENTED the language lol. so how do you expect people from a country who doesn't speak english just to get it like its riding a bike or something?

some of you guys have unrealistic expectations. its nothing bad i guess, its just a lot of you don't have ANY experiences with true foreigners.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/07/14 02:30 PM
I agree with you Jules about the needing to learn English if your gonna live in this country but for the ad it's self that was just Coke's way of showing the diversity of America. I guess they could have sung it in English and just shown pictures of the people but how many of them would you be able to recognize the heritage of?

Another thing if you check how the commercial was made most if not all the people who were in the Ad do speak English
LINK
Posted By: PDR Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/07/14 02:36 PM
Quote:

You said you would be hesitant to speak in a manner that may disrespect or offend others around you.

How is that not being PC?
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/07/14 03:05 PM
Quote:

I thought the commercial was stupid, but that's as far as it goes. Of course, because I thought it was dumb, I'm a bigot. It's interesting how many of those who profess to be open minded and tolerant are often the least accepting of differing views and resort to pigeonholing and name calling.

Par for the course around here. Good luck, though…I mentioned it at some point yesterday and not one person has bothered to address their aholeishness.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/07/14 03:14 PM
Quote:

If I go to live in another country I think it would be amazingly rude of me not to learn the language of the country. I would learn the language and the customs of that country. That is how I would handle it, but obviously other people see it differently.

Gee I didn't notice anybody disagreeing with me on this thread lol
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/07/14 03:16 PM
Quote:

Quote:

You said you would be hesitant to speak in a manner that may disrespect or offend others around you.

How is that not being PC?

Yo Phil I believe that might be the first time in my life anybody thought I was PC
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/07/14 03:41 PM
We used to call it common courtesy. Everything seems to MEAN something now. You can't just be nice or kind to others because it's the right thing to do.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/07/14 03:53 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Par for the course around here. Good luck, though…I mentioned it at some point yesterday and not one person has bothered to address their aholeishness.

I hope i wasn't included in that, If i was then i apologize i didn't mean to come off that way.
Posted By: PDR Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/07/14 04:41 PM
Quote:

We used to call it common courtesy. Everything seems to MEAN something now. You can't just be nice or kind to others because it's the right thing to do.

There's nothing kind or courteous or right about two people refraining from speaking English while walking down the streets of, say, Germany.

There's nothing disrespectful or offensive about speaking it, either.

So to refrain from doing so is more or less a tail-between-the legs, preemptive attempt to not offend a small percentage of those who may not like it.

I'm not one to throw around the term much, but that sounds like being politically correct to me.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/07/14 05:18 PM
Quote:

So to refrain from doing so is more or less a tail-between-the legs, preemptive attempt to not offend a small percentage of those who may not like it.

That may be the way you see it, but I see it as showing respect to the people and the country I would be in. To me it's like running around flipping everybody the bird when you go to a country and do not speak their language.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/07/14 05:46 PM
I understand what GM is saying. I don't agree with how far he takes his point, but I'm with him in general.

In Mexico, I would butcher the language so bad sometimes, but usually nobody cared. Rarely, they would laugh, but the appreciation of attempting the local language was always obvious. It didn't matter if it was easier to communicate with them in English. They appreciated the effort.

The flip side of that is nobody ever gave me as much of a sideways glance when I would be having a private conversation with a friend in English in a cafe or bar.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/07/14 06:03 PM
I'm not going to side GM, or say he's way out there or totally far out in his opinion - I will just provide a story and then a short hypothesis at the end.

One of my ex-gf's got hit by a Japanese girl (all parties were fine, minor crash) - but of course this Japanese girl didn't speak/understand a lick of English. It made an already stressful situation, even more stressful listening to this person yab and not being to understand anything. The cops arrived, and I figured "okay, they'll know how to handle this" and the only question I heard them ask her was "Ma'am, do you speak English?" while constantly looking at each other and shrugging. We gave them our side (it was the Japanese girls fault) - but we had to wait on scene until someone was found someone who could translate what that girl was saying (and they did it via walky-talky).

So in terms of GM finding it disrespectful, I can definitely see where he's coming from. I'm not a violent person, i'm a Web Developer so that basically means my patience level is high - but at the end of that situation; I really wanted to choke that girl out and leg drop her a few times I was so incredibly aggravated by the time wasted JUST b/c she had no clue of English language. Cops told me she's been a resident of Ohio for over four years cause I asked if she was just a tourist or something. FOUR YEARS AND YOU CAN'T MANAGE TO LEARN THE LOCAL LANGUAGE?!?!?!?! ARE YOU EVEN SERIOUS!?!?! So yeah, I can relate - just not perhaps as deep of a level as he described...

PS, not sure if it was the first encoutner for the two cops - but they too was MAD!
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/07/14 06:38 PM
I think people should understand some basic English when coming to the Unted States. There is nothing wrong with that idea. I don't understand how one could even function here when you factor in reading road signs and the ability to have a job. I don't take it as disrespect unless people say I should speak their language to make it easier for them.

I don't know what others mean by customs. Do you mean their social norms or religious / ethnic norms?
Posted By: PDR Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/07/14 09:23 PM
Quote:

To me it's like running around flipping everybody the bird when you go to a country and do not speak their language.

To me it sounds more like you being overly sensitive, and wanting the world to conform to your standards (hence the 'P.C.' thing).

I can understand being upset when someone can't speak English in terms of everyday interactions and transactions, but two people walking down the street talking to each other in the language they're most comfortable with is, frankly, none of your business or concern.

If I was walking down the street in, say, France, and talking to my buddy in English, and someone scolded me for speaking to my buddy in English, then I would flip them the bird. Literally, not figuratively.
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/07/14 11:43 PM
Quote:

Quote:

There's nothing kind or courteous or right about two people refraining from speaking English while walking down the streets of, say, Germany.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it.
Posted By: AC001 Re: Super Bowl Ads - 02/08/14 06:34 PM
j/c

I'm not really bothered by people speaking other languages here. I live and work in Phoenix and I here people speak Spanish every single day and I don't understand a word of it. I've had people need to speak to me at work and have to get someone to speak for them because they cant speak English. If they don't want to learn that's fine with me. It's more of a burden for them than it is for me.

It's just part of the culture here in the southwest, and also in southern california and florida. Just because our ancestors moved here first and started speaking English here first, I don't see how that means they are required to. If they are here legally and are good law abiding, tax paying citizens, then that is fine with me.
© DawgTalkers.net