DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Swish Post Game - 10/11/20 11:32 PM
4-1!!!!! we're 4 and 1!!!

this right here was a huge win for this team. gut check! lots of adversity they had to battle through, injuries, guys in and out, etc.

really proud of our O line for stepping up the last drive in the 4th quarter. really proud of our defense. 2 picks, safety, and an insane amount of pressure on rivers!!!

our offensive line and RBs had to really work for yards today against a really good run defense, but we made it work!!!

passing: up and down. baker and the boys were on fire in the 1st half. 2nd half....yikes. got pressure on baker, and juice had two different drive killing drops.

however, i'm not gonna complain about anything, because this was a HUGE win against a really good team!

AND WE'RE 4-1!!!!!!

STRAIGHT

WINS!!
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:33 PM
Winner.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:33 PM
4-1 on a 4 game win streak sounds unbelievable to me.

I figured we'd win 4 all season long.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:34 PM
4-1... what a game...

praying we can get guys healthy for next week...
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:34 PM
We just beat a 3-1 team to go to 4-1.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:35 PM
That was a rollercoaster

Garrett was a big difference again

We need to get healthy

Colts D is stout ... glad we handled it as well as possible
Posted By: myka Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:35 PM
Wooooo Higgins!

Our O only scored 3 points all 2nd half. Coach better figure out why we keep blowing leads in the 2nd half soon cuz Steelers won’t mess up and help us as much as these other teams have
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:35 PM
WE'RE 4-1, YES!! GO BROWNS!!!!
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:35 PM
Baker sucks... rolleyes

He was far from perfect but he put us on his shoulders today. Team win.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:35 PM
Hope Mayfield is ok.
Posted By: Swish Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:36 PM
oh yea...

CUT SANDEJO
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:37 PM
BAKER MAYFIELD, had a better game this week, than last week!

last week accounted for no plays longer than 16 yards.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Swish
oh yea...

CUT SANDEJO

I think you mean Pendejo.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:39 PM
oh yea...

CUT SANDEJO

Screw that, with 4-0
don't change anything!
Posted By: BrownMoose Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:41 PM
It's weird rooting for a team finally with normal problems like injuries and secondary and stuff.
Instead of deeply embedded, systemic issues like discipline and culture.

Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:41 PM
Baker Played good take away the Picks

OL Good Once Agin

Run Game was non existent until the End when we needed it most

GARRETT and our DL

Defense Pressure and Takeaways

Stefanski we finally have a coach

OH YES 4-1!!!

Posted By: Psydeffect Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:41 PM
Stefnaski is doing a hell of a job.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:42 PM
Oh yea Parkey still hasn't missed smile
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Hope Mayfield is ok.
Me Too.
Posted By: Rottweiller Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:45 PM
We really do miss Chubb, However I will take any win period. I hope Wyaatt Teller is OK, Our Safety position is gonna be exposed to the point of possibly losing a game. Very Good win and Ultra happy that Parkey seems to be reliable. 4-1 is something we have not seen in a long time, enjoy it, our schedule is about to get REAL.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Psydeffect

Stefanski didn't blink - and it *seems* like he has a knack for calling plays when the game is on the line. That's encouraging.

Hope we can come back healthy - hope Teller is ok... I'd be absolutely fine with giving up mid level pick or two over the next 2 drafts to get us an upgrade over Sandejo or whatever his name is. #23 is a liability. Just think what this performance would have been without the drive extending plays he gave up?

Oh - and to add .... the Colts D is good. Maybe not as good as the Ravens, maybe not as good as Pit .... but the talk before the game about how they've beaten no-one and there D isn't that good? Incorrect I feel.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:46 PM
4-1.

Loving that.

Bake: overall a good game, fought hard, make some huge completions but airmailed a few.

The first pick was all on him, the second not nearly as much. Took a big hit on that one.

Redwine with a huge int, Garrett of course will live in Rivers’ nightmares for awhile. That guy is such a freaking machine.

Cody sealed it with a FG off the iron, just like our boy Phil . Parkey still hasn’t missed a kick for us.

I thought we’d pooch punt that one, btw, but our coach seems to have, as Landry said the other day, the balls of a lion. Or some such thing.

Their DL was a handful against the run, but what a big play by d’Ernest on third down to seal it. Higgins with a couple of big catches.

We’re going to Pitt to lay an ass-beating next week.

4-1? Oh yeah!!!
Posted By: jaybird Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:46 PM

Someone needs to tell him that as Browns fans we're used to the FG at the end of the game being blocked and run back for the loss... glad it worked out but did have me a little worried...
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:47 PM
- 4 and 1!!!

- Myles Garrett is incredible. Completely changes the game.

- Browns defense continues to force turnovers.

- Baker looked sharp at times and missed some throws that would have been big plays. Overall, good game when the Colts soldout to stop the run.

- Jarvis made some ridiculous catches and uncharacteristically dropped a few wide open passes that could have been costly.

- Browns only had 2 penalties called against them. They are not shooting themselves in the foot this year.

- Browns win time of possession again.

- Hollywood 3 catches on 3 targets and a TD. Huge block on the D'Earnest Johnson game ending run. There is nothing this hero cannot do!

- Redwine makes an INT immediately upon entering the game.

- Parkey banks one off the left upright and through because he was bored kicking each one down the middle.

- This team never panics under Stefanski. Always a calm about them.

- Sundays are fun and the Browns are good again!
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:48 PM
I really thought the Colts D would expose us, and didn't think we'd get the win. So glad I was wrong.
Posted By: Xanthros Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:48 PM
Proud of the team today. Tough game with far from perfect execution but they made plays when they absolutely had to. If Landry catches those two first down drops then I don’t see this game as close as it was. Props to the D for stepping up and keeping us in control of this game. I’m starting to understand why everyone has the issues they do with Baker. Lots of overthrown balls when in the pocket. Oddly he’s much more accurate on the move. Maybe needs to throw with more touch on the ball. Reminds me of me in Madden always throwing bullet passes. Sometimes you need to loft it a bit.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:49 PM
All Higgins does is produce.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:49 PM
I feel like a WR ran the wrong route on the fist pick. Second one he got Hammered as he threw.I mean Hammered !
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:50 PM
Yes he is. The difference is night and day from this year and last. Knew this team had the talent just needed a coach to put it all together to bring out the best and not the worst of this team.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:51 PM
We have a real HC and a Franchise QB whether you like it or not ... GO BROWNS!!!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:51 PM
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
and had a KEY block on the game sealing run
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:52 PM
We do miss Chubb Though He is the Best RB in the NFL JMHO thumbsup
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:53 PM
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
We do miss Chubb Though He is the Best RB in the NFL JMHO thumbsup
i agree. Part of it was their D but part of it is his combination of elusiveness and strength
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:53 PM
is there anything more Browns than being 4-1 and in 3rd place in our division?

I really like this coaching staff.

like it or not.. Baker and Myles are the soul of this team.
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:53 PM
Baker reminds me of Brett Favre. There were times in the game that Favre looked like the worst QB in the league and then catch fire and make plays to win the game for GB.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
and had a KEY block on the game sealing run

Yes, I forgot to mention that.
And kudus to Hubbard for filling in admirably after Wyatt went down.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:54 PM
Broken play.
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:54 PM
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
is there anything more Browns than being 4-1 and in 3rd place in our divsion?

I really like this coaching staff.
like it or not.. Baker and Myles are the soul of this team.
Better than last. Needless to say next week's game is huge!
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:55 PM
Game ball!
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:56 PM
How about those catches by
Beckham,
Landry,
and Hooper in the first half!

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
Posted By: Xanthros Re: Post Game - 10/11/20 11:57 PM
is there anything more Browns than being 4-1 and in 3rd place in our division?

Best division in football minus the Bungles lol
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:00 AM
Thrilled, and knew we would win.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:01 AM
Baker is still learning this system. Its not any kind of excuse its a fact. Did anyone notice he is improving, albeit slightly, every week.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:04 AM
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Baker is still learning this system. Its not any kind of excuse its a fact. Did anyone notice he is improving, albeit slightly, every week.
the progression in the first quarter to Hooper was a good sign
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:05 AM
I was 37 the last time we were 4-1 smile
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:06 AM

not good
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:07 AM
Me too. Kind of ridiculous when you think about it.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:07 AM
I was 6 yikes
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:07 AM
It was obvious on the one pass afterwards, that he was hurt.
Posted By: Swish Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:07 AM

i was 5!!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:11 AM
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
It was obvious on the one pass afterwards, that he was hurt.
yeah, he took a shot on the INT
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:15 AM
Rib injury. Landry just said Baker was in good spirits after the game. Hopefully that's a good sign.

D4L, we are coming for your Steelers. You guys are going down.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:15 AM
Nice win for the Browns. Some thoughts/observations:

--I didn't see the same Baker you guys saw. I did see him make some very nice throws. No doubt about that. Saw the strong arm. No doubt about that. I even saw him go to his second read rather quickly on one throw and saw him be quicker going to his second read than he has before on a couple of other occasions.

On the other hand, he sure as hell did not put the team on his shoulders. They didn't even let him throw when the game was on the line. He handed it off. I also saw him make multiple poor throws. Most were high. He could have been picked 2-3 more times. I saw his receivers making unreal catches to bail him out. I saw him hold the ball too long. So yeah, he got hammered on the second pick, but he held it too long.

Overall...….I saw good and bad. I just think that Stef and company don't trust him. Luckily, the OL and RBs came through on the last drive. That won't always happen.

I'll end this post here because it will make folks angry and they will challenge my observations/thoughts. I will make another post about the rest of the game.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:17 AM
j/c

Who is your least favorite player on the Browns and why is it Andrew Sendejo?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:17 AM
Rib injury. Landry just said Baker was in good spirits after the game. Hopefully that's a good sign.

D4L, we are coming for your Steelers. You guys are going down.
you’ve got the wrong pronoun in front of Steelers ... but let’s hope it happens!
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:18 AM
I agree that Baker got hurt because he was way too slow to get to his read. Slow eyes get a lot of people hurt. The QB, OL, RBs, and WRs. He needs to improve.

But I disagree that Stefanski and them don't trust him. They might not, but I don't think we have any proof of that.
Posted By: Swish Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:18 AM
going into the season, my least favorite was Vernon.

Sandejo has quickly taken over duties for least favorite for A LOT of fans.
Posted By: Swish Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:19 AM
i mean, i have to really wonder what the scores would've been the last two games if sandejo wasn't so garbage.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:21 AM
i mean, i have to really wonder what the scores would've been the last two games if sandejo wasn't so garbage.
I’ve thought this: what would our record be without Myles Garrett? Every one of the 4 wins is directly impacted in BIG ways by him
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:22 AM

Or if we stop going into conservative mode on both sides of the ball or if we stop allowing kickoff returns or if we stop throwing INTs. We are doing all these things and winning. Crazy. The coach matters in football.

I cannot believe we continue to allow kickoff returns. The only dumb coaching decision we can really complain about. It's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:24 AM
Alright...…..thoughts about the game other than Baker.

--Rivers is done. He can't handle pressure. He's been done since last year.

--Myles is making a case for Defensive League MVP. He makes big plays that change games almost--if not every--week.

--Vernon may not have got sacks, but he had some pressures. I get their names mixed up, but the rookie DT is doing pretty good. Saw he got hurt. That stunk

--The rookie LBer flashed good speed. Malcom Smith made some very nice plays.

--I liked when they put Redwine at FS and moved Sendejo or whatever his name is closer to the LOS.

--Ward and Mitchell looked good to me.

--Landry's two drops were a bummer, but our receivers made a lot of great catches.

--Hooper probably had his best game.

--Kudos again to the OL. Sucked to see Teller go down, but Hubbard was serviceable. They gave Baker a ton of time again. He just holds the ball so long. The Colts sold out to stop the run, but we wore them down a bit and made big runs late in the game. I thought Wills would struggle w/Houston because the latter is a beast, but the kid held his own.

--Good job by Stefanski. I was not a fan of the hire, but he is winning me over. I will always admit when I am wrong and/or change my opinion based on performance. I think he is doing a really good job thus far.

--Milke mentioned our lack of penalties. We have been much more disciplined this year. I credit the coaching staff for that.

--We have holes at qb, S, and Lber, but this team has a ton of talent in other areas. If we can get the weaker areas to improve a bit...………..this team can make some post-season noise.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:25 AM
Our safety play has been abysmal. And he’s been the most abysmal of them all. Is Redwine absolutely horrible in practice? I mean, I don’t care who’s a FS or a SS, but when the same guy is late, almost always, doesn’t really hit or doing anything that’s impressive.... you were in the army swish, and I just watched a few good men for the 50th time..... should we Code Red this guy? wink
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:27 AM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:29 AM
The cut down in penalties has been very key
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:30 AM
I can't get hating the Qb after a win.

I think Keenum should have come in on that last drive, we only needed 3 and dude was obviously hurting, his throwing arm was dangling, coach has eyes,

Just to aggravate something that could have been worse,
turned out to be ribs,

I wonder what Bakers' day was today,
Great catches

in the first half,

Great Touchdown to Hunt

This was much more of a Baker has to do it today, if you look at almost everything the Offense did in the first half that worked was through the air.
Posted By: Swish Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:31 AM
Our safety play has been abysmal. And he’s been the most abysmal of them all. Is Redwine absolutely horrible in practice? I mean, I don’t care who’s a FS or a SS, but when the same guy is late, almost always, doesn’t really hit or doing anything that’s impressive.... you were in the army swish, and I just watched a few good men for the 50th time..... should we Code Red this guy? wink

love that movie!!

Harrison looks like he'll be gone next week with the concussion, so it looks like we don't have a choice but to play Sandejo next week.

but i would be most happy with harrison and redwine back there over Sandejo
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:35 AM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:36 AM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:37 AM
And their safety made a great play or else OBJ’s pass to Hooper would have been a possible TD
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:37 AM
Geez man, you’re on that stuff all freaking day and night! Thanks!
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:38 AM
Posted By: WolverineKilla Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:38 AM

It was 7 years before I was born!
Posted By: BarkinMad Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:40 AM
Oh yea Parkey still hasn't missed smile

Actually I believe Parkey missed an XP at the end of last weeks game against the Boys, but I don't think he's missed a FG.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:41 AM
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:42 AM
That was blocked by a guy who was offsides, but we got the two-point conversion from Carleson.

I don’t think that counts as a miss, but I’m not sure.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:43 AM
Posted By: jacksondawg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:43 AM
We beat a playoff team without Chubb and Williams.
Watch out Pittsburgh because Myles has a huge chip on his shoulder I fear for Bens safety.
Posted By: WolverineKilla Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:45 AM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

He really seems to like it here now!
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:45 AM
Baker Mayfield: “The good thing about it is we don’t have to learn from a loss. We can get better after a win. Just the mindset of trying to be just a bunch of big, hairy American winning machines is important.”
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:48 AM

I'm not gonna bag on Landry here, but man, those two drops were BIG. A catch with either one of them would have dramatically changed the feel of things.

Those two drops and that KO Return allowed it to stay WAY closer than it should have been.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:49 AM
How about call up the Giants seek a trade for Jabrill Peppers.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:53 AM
We don't need yet another SS. We need a FS.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:53 AM
First one was worse cuz he woulda had a big first down. Both times I was going “catch the (bleeping) ball, Landry!”

Then I remembered the big catches he made earlier. And we won, so screw it. smile
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 01:00 AM
j/c...

Four straight games scoring 30+ points.
Posted By: mamuhmia Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 01:02 AM
j/c.....

Browns had two penalties today. TWO!!!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 01:03 AM
Posted By: FATE Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 01:08 AM
Browns early 4 point dawgs to the Stillers.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 01:09 AM
4-1. That is all.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 01:09 AM
Is it in Pittsburgh?
Posted By: bluecollarball Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 01:16 AM
It's a bit odd to watch a Browns team that to a man is being coached and is playing like a PROFESSIONAL football team and not some rag tag band of merry misfits drawing plays up in the dirt and spending inordinate amounts of time on foo foo and drama and the trivial.

Players came off the bench and made plays. Starters made plays. The mistakes were brushed off and then they made more plays.

Amazing! What a difference a coach makes.....
Posted By: HewDawg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 01:18 AM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
oh yea...

CUT SANDEJO

I think you mean Pendejo.

He means special Ed. That dude has the awareness of a goldfish.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 01:19 AM
There were times when we didn't have any talent. There were times when we had poor coaching. Right now, it appears that we have more talent than ever before and the right coach.
Posted By: FATE Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 01:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Is it in Pittsburgh?

Yep.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 01:23 AM
Originally Posted By: FATE
Browns early 4 point dawgs to the Stillers.

Browns ML.

Browns vs. Colts +2.5 on the ML was a steal.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 01:23 AM
Vegas giving us a bit of respect. I'm telling you...……...this team is loaded w/talent. We have three question marks in my mind, but we have so much talent in other areas and the coaching seems sound. We could actually make some real noise.

Man, I hate getting optimistic, but really...…...we are loaded in many areas.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 01:24 AM
Ridiculous.

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 01:25 AM
I think we should have drafted Trubisky.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 01:31 AM
Pay.The.Man.

lol!
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 01:32 AM
Originally Posted By: bluecollarball
It's a bit odd to watch a Browns team that to a man is being coached and is playing like a PROFESSIONAL football team and not some rag tag band of merry misfits drawing plays up in the dirt and spending inordinate amounts of time on foo foo and drama and the trivial.

Players came off the bench and made plays. Starters made plays. The mistakes were brushed off and then they made more plays.

Those who grind the best win the most.
Posted By: FrankZ Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 01:33 AM

Can he play safety?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 01:34 AM
Originally Posted By: FrankZ

Can he play safety?

rofl
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 01:35 AM
Not that I want it, but I’d think NBC would prefer CLE/PIT on SNF rather than LAR/SF ... though it’s too late to happen now
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 01:38 AM
We should be game of the week. No doubt. SF is a MASH unit.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 01:38 AM
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 01:44 AM
Originally Posted By: FrankZ

Can he play safety?

he certainly can't play QB LOL
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 01:46 AM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 01:47 AM
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 01:48 AM

I wonder if they fine the players or something. we are way more disciplined this year with, mostly the same team.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 02:00 AM
This is fun.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 02:03 AM

Ahead of Rosen?? poke
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 02:04 AM
I think we had like 16 penalties in week 1 last year haha
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 02:05 AM
Different drafts. Dude, can you concentrate on someone else? Please?
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 02:07 AM
Is it in Pittsburgh?

Yeah where Ben is something like 24-2 in games in October
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 02:11 AM
I don't care if Jabrill Peppers,

Plays linebacker, I'd want him back,

would love to have a good player back who originally started with the Browns.

And they could move players around, I'm sure they'd find a way to help the safety rotation with him back.

I've seen him make plays to change games when he was with the Browns and I belive his enthusiasm would return.
It's not gonna happen, no, of course not,
But it would be cool if it did.
Posted By: mulliganvi Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 02:15 AM
Call out to Coach again. 2nd straight week that we ended the first half as the last team that could score points. Freaking huge! The other callout, after we made the late field goal to go up by 9, he didn't jump around like (insert whatever). He acted like it was business and moving on. Love how even keel things are. And how the players mirror that as well. 1 game, moving on. I will say. It is tough without Chubb, but when he's back, our team is made to run out a lead. Love how the team is built.
Posted By: The Collector Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 02:43 AM
I do have to say... That even though this Defense isnt the best as a unit. They most definitely are opportunistic.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 02:48 AM
5 and Out

1. Team wins are the best. They build culture, and down the road, culture wins you tight games.

2. I love this team's discipline. It is so refreshing to see a season that doesn't feature false starts/offsides/delay of game calls as regular, weekly injections into our collective psyches.

3. This team is learning how to win the games they've spent 20 years inventing ways to lose. Today, the cleats were on the other foot. I mean, Philip Rivers, consummate professional of how many years, throws an i.g. safety in his own end zone? At a crucial moment? That's what Browns QB's do, while guys like Philip Rivers laugh on their sidelines ("Browns are gonna Brown" right? Um- notsomuch, these days-).

3a. It wasn't 'bad luck' for the Colts. Good things happen when you get pressure... and Rivers was pressured into that mistake. CLE made some other team "Brown." Because: see above.

4. This team simply must figure out how to play 'alpha football' with a lead, or in close situations that fall to the will of the bold. They display this disturbing trait of going into their shell for unacceptably long periods of games. They managed to weather two consecutive games where comfy leads got too skinny for my tastes. Sometimes, it's Offense. Sometimes, it's Defense. But it seems to be there every game, at some point.

Maybe the Battered Dawg in me just needs a handful of dominant, boring, comfortable wins just to see what it's like.

5. Browns are not just competent- they are competitive. We have enough assets to give any top-tier team an afternoon of headaches, be that a W or L for them. That is soooo much progress over what we've routinely seen. This is, once again, a first-year season for CLE- and the fact that in Stefanski's first year(s), we are winning the kind of games that we always used to lose, is absolutely HUGE for me.

and, OUT:

My hide has been branded by the sting of too many failed regimes since '99 to feel 100% confident about where we are and who we have, but I'll go this far:

This is the very first season that a new version of "The Same Ol' (new) Browns" has not looked like an Expansion Team since they entered the league in 1999. They have their weaknesses, but they are not a, 'inked-in win' on the typical NFL schedule.

I keep seeing this team find ways. A 4-win streak. With big players out. With crazy swings in the flow of games. With big players stepping up big at big moments. This is what other fans always got to see from their teams when CLE was on their schedule. The fact that 4 of our 5 games have been decided/changed on the kinds of plays that used to break our backs, I'd say (tentatively, almost sheepishly) that the Culture Shift I've been screaming for... is finally taking hold.

If it is, we might be looking at the start of something truly special.

This year is the test run.
So far, so good.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 02:51 AM
Originally Posted By: The Collector
I do have to say... That even though this Defense isnt the best as a unit. They most definitely are opportunistic.

At this point what we need the defense to do is get off the field once in awhile on 3rd down and make a play here and there. They are going to give up yards. But we are going to score points. Just be a little good every once in awhile in the game and that should be enough.
Posted By: Squires Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 03:10 AM
4-1 and we're still in 3rd place. I hate our division. Hopefully we turn that around next week.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 03:17 AM
It was 3rd and 9 when they handed the ball to D'Ernest on his 28 yard gain, I thought it was an outside play, but 2nd look it was an inside left run, he bounced it in, bounced it outside, then around the corner, then through the 2nd level.

3rd and 9, just a regular run play, and bam, it set up the late field goal to go up more than a score.
I think he was 7 carries for 4 yards before that, it just shows, don't give up on the run.

For 20 years after losses we look back and say they gave up on the run.
Whole first half, less than 50 yards, 2nd half, it started to work some.
Posted By: Swish Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 03:31 AM
Originally Posted By: Squires
4-1 and we're still in 3rd place. I hate our division. Hopefully we turn that around next week.

if this was the NFC east, we'd already be division champs.
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 03:44 AM
oh yea...

CUT SANDEJO

brownie

I really don't understand why the guy is on the team. Every single time something bad happens, sure enough #23 is there.
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 03:50 AM
Oh also, is it too early to say that Stefanski is the real deal? He certainly looks like it.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 03:58 AM
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies
Oh also, is it too early to say that Stefanski is the real deal? He certainly looks like it.

It’s too early.
Posted By: cle23 Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 04:01 AM
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
It was 3rd and 9 when they handed the ball to D'Ernest on his 28 yard gain, I thought it was an outside play, but 2nd look it was an inside left run, he bounced it in, bounced it outside, then around the corner, then through the 2nd level.

3rd and 9, just a regular run play, and bam, it set up the late field goal to go up more than a score.
I think he was 7 carries for 4 yards before that, it just shows, don't give up on the run.

For 20 years after losses we look back and say they gave up on the run.
Whole first half, less than 50 yards, 2nd half, it started to work some.

The play to Johnson was the same okay they run about 4-5 times a game and it usually guys for 8+ yards. Teller is normally leading but that time Hubbard did well, and Higgins sprung it.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 04:10 AM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Winner.

Myles Garrett
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 04:19 AM
Originally Posted By: bluecollarball

I think we're looking at the genesis of a Real Football Team.
I'm not sure what to do with this information.

But- I like the way this new brand of uncertainty feels.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 04:29 AM

LMAO!!!

Are you frakkin' kidding me?
Posted By: Psydeffect Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 04:48 AM
I'm trying my best to contain my excitement.

But Damn!!! It feels like our Browns are back.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 04:50 AM
Quote:

Conklin pulled, D'Ernest was following his blocker. Clutch play, true next man up play with Conklin subbing for Tretter (Hope he's okay) and D'Ernest filling in.

To the game. Had to work so I had to watch the tape, but it was good knowing we won.

A tale of two halves but unlike days of yore, this one didn't end in a disaster.

Stefanski game-planned the $#!% out of this game. They knew we were going to run, and we did, but they weren't ready for our passing game to rip apart their soft underbelly in their zone coverage. Baker was crisp for most of that half, threw some nice balls. He also got bailed out by Landry on that catch on the back of the DB. Baker's INTs in the second half could've been disastrous but for the D stepping up and getting stops or turnovers. Overall, I thought he played well, not great, but good enough.

Landry made some beautiful plays, and his drops are excusable. He is Mr. Reliable, and will probably go 80 catches without another drop.

OBJ continues to impress. Nice pass to Landry. Great concentration when he got face tackled. He made some nice catches.

HOOOOP! Love the guy, he's really starting to show up on Baker's radar. Caught a pass from Baker through a drive-through-sized window. He's clutch. Sucks he dropped one.

Hunt. Man, he fought for some tough yards, and had an amazing catch in the endzone. He jumped up and made himself about six-foot-seven and caught that ball square in the chest. Hope he's okay. Looked a little gimpy at the end.

D'Errrrrrrnest. What a crucial run for 28 yards and a first down. He just comes in and does whatever is asked and then makes a play like that at a critical time. Awesome.

And indicative of how it's been going. When we need plays, the playmakers are making them, both on offense and on defense. This is where the talent-laden side of the team is starting to show.

Nice to see Hollywood walk the runway. He made a couple nice catches. No drop-off at the #3WR spot.

Love Andy J. He's a great blocker, and another weapon that strikes when least expected.

Nice to see Njoku get a first down with a nice catch.

Our O-line is impressive. They did a great job keeping Baker clean the first half. When the Colt's dialed up the pressure in the second half, they didn't wilt. And again, I'll mention that Conklin pull that sealed the game with Tretter out. (Get well soon!)

I mentioned in the matchup thread that the best D against Rivers was to keep him off the field, and the second best was to pressure him. We did both with excellent pressure and a 2:1 TOP. His spell is broken.

Myles is a beast. He's always sucking wind because he's always motoring at 100RPM. And he is fast. He blows out of his stance with such veliocity it must startle the hell out of the tackles. I think the refs have finally gotten used to his speed though, because he's not getting those off-sides penalties called against him anymore. I am drooling at the prospect of next week.

Mitchel and Ward are holding down the corner spots well. Greedy who? Just kidding. I want to see him back and healthy.

I think Sendejo may be getting a bad rap. He's been made to look bad a couple times, true, but on at least one occasion - the TD last week - he was assigned a different receiver according to the DC. He's around a lot of plays, and has had his hands on the ball a couple times, so I'm withholding judgement for now. I do wonder if Redwine might not get a shot though.

Ronnie Harrison has done an admirable job filling in for Karl Joseph.

Didn't like seeing us give up a kick return. But for that, it's a different game.

Two penalties? We've had two penalties within the first four plays of a game before. When you show discipline, execute, and play well, I guess you don't get as many flags. Hm.

I see good clock management. And it's nice looking up with under five minutes to go and seeing all three timeouts.

Even the doink off the crossbar fell our way.

Great win. Feels good right now. I want to crush the Steelers.

Congratulations, everyone. We're 4-1. That is something we can all rejoice in.

GO BROWNS!
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 05:01 AM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Pay.The.Man.

lol!

Posted By: CalDawg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 05:32 AM
Quote:
Nice pass to Landry.

I meant Hoop.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 09:29 AM
J/c

Just re-watching a few things this morning .. Baker had a good first half and a below average 2nd half ... BUT, there were drops that killed him. Landry’s and Hooper’s (his was tougher) would have made this a much different game IMO.

Also, we’re fortunate to have a good OL and a handful of good backs ... but the loss of Chubb and Teller ARE noticeable. We need those guys back to be our best version
Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 10:29 AM
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies
oh yea...

CUT SANDEJO

brownie

I really don't understand why the guy is on the team. Every single time something bad happens, sure enough #23 is there.

It’s the flip side of the whole “the most important ability is availability” saying. He appears to be durable. That alone will earn you a pay check In Browns’ secondary.
Posted By: Swish Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 11:55 AM
Good morning, DT.

WE’RE 4-1!!!!!
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 11:57 AM

i was 5!!

I was 46. Get off my lawn you young whipper snapper!
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:31 PM

Oh what a beautiful morning.

Damn it feels good to wake up 4-1.

Congratulations to Kevin Sefanski and his staff. They have done an amazing job. Big difference from last year.

Myles. One hellava football player. He is on his way to Defensive Player of the Year.

The defense had a damn good game. Some guys are starting to show up. Terrance Mitchell, Jacob Phillips, and Redwine stepped in and played well. Vernon had a good game. But the Colts had no answer for Myles.

Special teams. Not surprising that someone broke one on a kick return. Kick off coverage has been terrible all year. It needs to be fixed. Good job by Parkey.

Offense. A tale of two half's. First half was outstanding. The Colts were determined to stop the run. Kudos to Stefanski to game plan around that and throw the ball.

Some great catches. Some good throws to trust playmakers. Great catches and drops are all part of the game.

Baker was good and bad. He played good ball in the first half. Made some bad decisions and poor throws in the second half. Can not turn it over.

I don't think is fair to to insinuate that KS and staff don't trust him. Given the game plan. They planned to throw in the first half and then run in the second with the lead. Eat clock. IMO he is not regarded by the coaching staff and his teammates as a weak link. He was far from perfect but you don't get to 4-1 by being a weak link on this team.
The team is improving each week as they learn how to play together. Baker is leading the team and improving as a quarterback. He still has a lot of room for improvement but it is great to win games while doing it.

Best time of year. Braves in the final four.

And the Damn Browns are 4-1 with a four game win streak.

And Now it is game on Steeler week.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:33 PM
Originally Posted By: BrownMoose
It's weird rooting for a team finally with normal problems like injuries and secondary and stuff.
Instead of deeply embedded, systemic issues like discipline and culture.

thumbsup
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:44 PM
All this, and thee=se guys are only 5 weeks into a new system with no offseason.

Get guys healthy, and I can see us being a real force in December while we wrap up the division and head to the playoffs. wink
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 12:53 PM
I gotta tell you, I was really worried when they were bottling up our run game early and we were starting to throw.

Big big props to Hubbard. Dude came in and played well. Way to go for him. Didn't think I would say this after last season, but dude has been HUGE as our 6th OL. Doing the same thing that got him his big contract when he came here, playing very well under tough circumstances. Very happy for him.

And big props for Mayfield. He wasn't good, but he was good enough. I wasn't confident when we had to rely more on the pass, but he handled the extra pressure ok. Made some good passes, and gave himself some film on what NOT to do (good thing we won).

I'll repeat the same thing I said before. Our defense is what it is (weak but opportunistic). It's our offense that needs to figure out how to play a second half. These first halfs are great and all, but if our offense is going to be the unit we rely on, these second half disappearing acts aren't going to cut it against the better teams (one of which we play next).
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 01:00 PM
- Big win. Went up against a team with a good record and came away with the win.
- I think Indy has as many wins as all of Pittsburgh's opponents combined. Next week, we may be their biggest test so far this year.
- Hoping the best for Teller, Tretter, the rookie DT, and Baker from getting banged up yesterday.
- Hoping that Larry and Greedy can be back soon.
- Jarvis with two shocking drops on 3rd down passes. Both of those throws were on the money.
- Baker with two picks. Second one he got hit as he threw it, but he held it on to it too long. First one was a bad throw.
- Made some nice throws, receivers made some really nice catches. Was asked to do more this week, but reviews are mixed.
- Stefanski with a nice game plan.
- I like the kicker.
- Gillan with a nice punt to set up the safety.
- I forgot how much Rivers complains.
- Garrett with a monster game. Again.
- Vernon applied a lot of pressure again.
- We were able to do some running late in the game.
- So, Sandejo. Horrible does not describe it. Someone pointed out a couple of weeks ago that the plan was not for him to be on the field so much, that he was to be a veteran presence in the locker room, but injuries forced him onto the field. That is true, but does not mean this is not a problem that needs addressed. He gives up yards in chunks. Can't cover, looks lost, and is always trying to catch up to the guy with the ball.
- 4-1!
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 01:12 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

And big props for Mayfield. He wasn't good, but he was good enough. I wasn't confident when we had to rely more on the pass, but he handled the extra pressure ok. Made some good passes, and gave himself some film on what NOT to do (good thing we won).

Yes - a tale of two halves. He made some very good throws, not the least of which for TD's ... in the first half he was the guy that carried the team and it was clearly schemed that way by KS. Second half was very bad. I'll need to go back and re-watch but it certainly seemed like there was a lot more pressure and the pressure was arriving quickly.

Game would have been further out of reach and potentially very different (more dominant for the Browns) without the kick return and without the 2 drops by Landry ... but Landry made a spectacular catch behind the defender's helmet in the first Q and is normally so reliable, it all sort of evens out and Landry probably won't have another game all season with 2 drops.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 01:34 PM
Trash the Rottenhurler. But they looked more intense across the board yesterday than we did. Need to get geared up more this week. Don't let up on pressuring them. And find some blocking up front.
Posted By: eotab Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 01:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
We just beat a 3-1 team to go to 4-1.

The Colts were the TOP ranked Defensive team in the NFL...big time win.

Garrett without a doubt is THE BEST DEFENSIVE Player in the NFL and he's a Brown! We were missing Larry on the DL but they really were excellent all game long.

We snuffed their running game down making a Statue of a QB
just dropping back and us pinning our ears down to rush him. We rushed him all day long.

The 2nd half they figured something out to render our O to a stand still. They blitzed mostly pass blitze but they blitzed the gaps so that if we did run they could still stifle the run as they did the first half but this time they will hit our QB on every pass play and they did. Almost taking Baker out.

Man he is one tough cookie. Hope he is healthy for the Steeler game.

How is Teller? I guess we will find out later today as he is scheduled for an MRI on the calf and Baker an X-ray on his ribs.

Teller has worked hard to become a Pro-Bowl caliber RG he is big time for our OL.

Harrison is our best safety on concussion protocol and I hope Phillips Knee is ok.

Great play from our Defense to carry us the 2nd half as the O had a great first half but could not handle the adjustment the Colts made.

Parkey has been outstanding! Props to the kid! Hope he is effective for many years to come.

Why did we not kick the ball out of the end zone??? That hurt us on the 101 yard return. We had such a high and then such a let down soon after. Thought the game was over when we had that pick six.

Felt we were in control even when they started their onslaught in the pass rush. Thank goodness our running game made some key first downs!

I cannot believe Landry made those two drops on 3rd down. So unlike him.

Higgins has to be the worst Practice player ever. He is so good game day. Glad to see him out there and producing, excellent job. OBJ was solid as was Hunt in the passing game. Hooper made some nice plays early on but then became invisible as were the whole TE group.

Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 01:47 PM
Originally Posted By: eotab
Why did we not kick the ball out of the end zone??? That hurt us on the 101 yard return. We had such a high and then such a let down soon after. Thought the game was over when we had that pick six.

This.
Posted By: Dave Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 02:24 PM
Lots of kudos being handed out after this win, all well-deserved. But I want to send a shout-out to O-Line coach, Bill Callahan. Guy has done a bang-up job, and the improvement is obvious even to my layman's eye.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 02:38 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 02:40 PM
I think coaches are often over-rated or underrated. However, it's really hard to ignore what Callahan has meant to this OL. Great hire.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 03:01 PM
Hat tip to Stump Mitchell as well. These coaches seem to compliment each other very well.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 03:02 PM
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 03:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

Game winning block
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 03:06 PM
Oh... I forgot about his block on that run. That was a nasty one.

But overall, big tip of the hat to Higgins. He had a very good game, and it was good to see him out there and producing. Good for him.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 03:17 PM
Man, I love it when WR's are willing and nasty blockers. Things get so good when that happens!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 03:20 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Man, I love it when WR's are willing and nasty blockers. Things get so good when that happens!
i agree. It’s such a culture and mindset thing too. I see some teams have WRs who take pride in it and feed off one another
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 03:30 PM
A lot has been posted on this thread so I won't get into repeating much of what has been said. However, the constant dogging of Baker by the usual suspects is hilarious.

I just want to give credit to Hubbard. I never saw him in a positive light as a starter at RT. Average on his best days and less than average most days.

But man, he has stepped up two weeks in a row. First subbing in for Conklin when needed last week and this week for Teller. It seems that when we need him, he just comes in and does the job. I suspect there are fans who don't understand just how much value there is to having a player like that on the roster.

It seems our OL really doesn't miss a beat when he's called upon to play. Kudos to him.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 03:32 PM
That looks like a guy trying to get more playing time. Higgins was pretty great in a limited role.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 03:35 PM
OBJ, Landry and Higgins should be the 3 wr period. Hopefully after yesterday coach sees that Higgins is a gamer. Hodge, DPJ or whatever else they try there won't be as good as Higgins, he and Baker have that trust and thats huge for a QB learning a new system
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 03:41 PM
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
OBJ, Landry and Higgins should be the 3 wr period. Hopefully after yesterday coach sees that Higgins is a gamer. Hodge, DPJ or whatever else they try there won't be as good as Higgins, he and Baker have that trust and thats huge for a QB learning a new system

Hopefully, the coaches don't care what the player's name is and they continue to put the best player out there of those that are healthy and ready to play.
Posted By: PETE314 Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 03:42 PM
So Verse, I can't agree with you about the coaches not trusting Baker. So last week they tried to just run the ball and if they got first downs...so much the better. This week they actually gave Baker the ball and we had 2 easy drops by Jarvis on 3rd down. This is late in the game trying to run out the clock...etc...So I don't see a lack of trust.

The interceptions. Well, I saw the aggressive throw to Hooper deep in the seam And the Defense made a great play...I cannot tell you if that was the correct read...but if it was...he needed just a little better throw...This INT I am going to liken to a Brett Favre mentality. Brett Favre would drive you NUTS with the INT's he threw. But most people would have loved to have have him on their team throughout his career. So (as long as we are winning...lol) I am content to feel a little crazy from time to time...

The second I was pissed about in a "who the heck were you throwing to" type of way...but upon review, I do think getting leveled as he threw it had a little to do with it...

I honestly think if Chubb was healthy, we would have been running it down their throats in the second half...The reason being for me is style. While a great back...and doing a great job against a D that was doing a great job tackling, Hunt is more elusive than punishing...Chubb puts a beating on D's...and we don't have that style of runner while he is out. So as great as Hunt is he cannot wear down a D in the same way as Chubb...Hunt and Johnson will wear down D's with repetitions...

Not a knock...simply a style match-up. Heck....We ran for almost twice the yards of any other team against Indy. Very hard fought yards. And that is an accomplishment...both for the RB's and the coaches for sticking with it.

Probably a lot more to say...but will have to come back...lol

4-1 is a good feeling...everyone is saying the Steelers are our toughest test yet (As was Washington, as were the Cowboys, as were the Colts....)....But you know what....WE are the Steelers biggest test by far this year...and I am not hearing that said often enough...
Posted By: BADdog Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 03:45 PM
Did you notice when Baker took off Jarvis and OBJ were blocking on the sidelines down field?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 03:49 PM
I did! OBJ had his back to his defender and defending like it was basketball, lol Blocking his dude out, but ready if Baker slung it his way.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 03:51 PM

Thought it was interesting that in the post game conference call Baker said "it was my worst game this year."

In the first half he made some good reads and throws. He was not super accurate. Ball placement was not great but catches were made.

In the second half he made some bad decisions that were followed by poor throws. Int's can cost games.

However, the big thing is they won. And he is leading the team. Stats or no stats.

He is also showing improvement. He is staying in the pocket more. He is throwing the ball away rather than risking low percent high risk throws. He is using all the receivers and the whole field.

He is beginning to get in sync with Odell. He already has that with Jarvis.

This is a new offense. They are far from perfect. Lots to improve upon. But that is where this team is. They are learning to play like a team.

I don't care who you play in this league four straight wins don't come easy.

I am encouraged by the defense in this Colts game. We have been winning the turnover battle. We have cut the penalties way down. We are beginning to do what good teams do. They don't beat themselves.

Stefanski has this team thinking right. One and 0.

Play this game. Execute. Get the ball into playmakers hands. Be opportunistic and win the turnover game.

For the first time in way to many years.

This year is setting up to be fun. I sure hope we can continue to improve and stay healthy.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 03:51 PM
j/c for the first time in years, this team is all in with the coaching staff and they are playing for each other and complimenting each other to the likes I have never seen before.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 04:09 PM
I dunno about that. Our RBs were working HARD in this game. Things opened up a little at the end when Johnson and Hunt got their long runs, but it looked to me like they were getting hit at the LoS quite a bit throughout the game.

Hunt is elusive, but he also runs violently. This is NOT a thunder-and-lightning pairing in our backfield. It's a 2-feature-back pairing. Both have speed and elusiveness, both can catch, and both can lay a hit on a DB.
Posted By: JulesDawg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 04:10 PM
I’m having fun watching the Browns! What is happening?!!!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 04:12 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 04:15 PM
My goodness.

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 04:18 PM
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 04:18 PM
I have to say that I found the game plan impressive. While it has been pointed out that quite a few posters have disagreed with me in the past and probably still do, I think a good HC game plans around their opponent. I don't feel a HC being stubborn by trying to force some preconceived game plan down the throats of their opponent no matter who that opponent is as a wise strategy.

We didn't come out with some run centric approach on O in attacking the Colts. Stefanski knew they would be stacking up to stop our run game and took advantage of that by using the passing attack. Using play action to help freeze their D and using what would then be their weakness, the pass, to exploit them.

Now don't get me wrong, some teams are limited with their talent and as such are forced to game plan based on that. We are not in such a position. Hunt is a premiere RB. It's certainly a much better situation having both Chubb and Hunt playing on game day. But having Hunt doesn't change that he's a great RB and you can still be run heavy without Chubb if you are so inclined.

But in our case, we are not pigeonholed into any specific constraints on O as it pertains to our game plan. When it comes to TE's and WR's, we have talent all over the field. Top notch talent. Our OL can both run block and pass block. So we have the advantage of having the versatility to be able to change our game plan to explore the weakness of any opponent.

This game taught me a lot about Stefanski as a HC. While it's still too early for me to call him our savior, I'm certainly impressed with his understanding of how to approach game planning with who your opponent is in mind.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 04:24 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I think a good HC game plans around their opponent. I don't feel a HC being stubborn by trying to force some preconceived game plan down the throats of their opponent no matter who that opponent is as a wise strategy.

Sun Tzu says you are correct.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 04:26 PM
Getting Larry O, Joseph, and Vernon on the field Sunday is important. I wish Teller would be okay too
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 04:31 PM

Anyone remember week 1 when OBJ was jawing all day with Humphrey and Peters...he had several drops...obviously they got to him

I noticed Jarvis was yapping all day, and even a little skirmish at one play...he had those big drops...obviously they got to him

I wonder if it was just the defenders getting into our WRs heads on these instances.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 04:32 PM
I just want to give credit to Hubbard. I never saw him in a positive light as a starter at RT. Average on his best days and less than average most days.

But man, he has stepped up two weeks in a row. First subbing in for Conklin when needed last week and this week for Teller. It seems that when we need him, he just comes in and does the job. I suspect there are fans who don't understand just how much value there is to having a player like that on the roster.

It seems our OL really doesn't miss a beat when he's called upon to play. Kudos to him.

I want to add to this and frame it in the context of culture.

When you have a good culture, a winning culture, guys don't want to let other guys down. When their number is called, they are focused and ready to go. They understand what's at stake and only their best effort is acceptable.

When you constantly lose, you don't get this type of effort. Look at the Jets. They have so many guys injured. Let's be honest, guys aren't going to put it on the line for that team. They aren't going to come off IR early. They aren't giving their best efforts in games.

For how many years have we seen good teams like Pitt and Balt just plug guys in and not skip a beat while the Browns get blamed for not having talent because it doesn't appear they get the same production as they muddle through another 5-11 season.

Culture is so important. Stability is so important. Having something to play for is so important.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 04:34 PM
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs

Anyone remember week 1 when OBJ was jawing all day with Humphrey and Peters...he had several drops...obviously they got to him

I noticed Jarvis was yapping all day, and even a little skirmish at one play...he had those big drops...obviously they got to him

I wonder if it was just the defenders getting into our WRs heads on these instances.

Jarvis is a fiery guy. One of my favorite players on the team, but I wish he would tone it down a bit. He always seems on the verge of going too far and getting penalized.

For someone with such a good head on his shoulders and a true leader, he really frustrates me with his overly impassioned antics on the field sometimes.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 04:37 PM

Jarvis is a fiery guy. One of my favorite players on the team, but I wish he would tone it down a bit. He always seems on the verge of going too far and getting penalized.

For someone with such a good head on his shoulders and a true leader, he really frustrates me with his overly impassioned antics on the field sometimes.

As long as it doesn't cost the team, I'm perfectly content to let Jarvis be Jarvis. Let all the players be themselves, within the constraints of Team First.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 04:38 PM
j/c...

Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 04:41 PM
Looks like Steeler Week is the same matchup as the Colts. Our O vs their D as juggernauts; their O vs our D as weaknesses.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 04:44 PM
Look at that poor Lions defense and the Broncos O...ekk
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 04:51 PM

Landry does this all the time. It's nothing unusual. And it doesn't cause him to drop balls.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 04:53 PM
I tend to agree with your post and would only like to add that I believe proper coaching is at play here as well.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 04:58 PM
j/c...

I love charts and data analysis. I am the rare geek who loved the college Statistics courses. Those charts are very impressive charts in disseminating information. And they support what my eyes told me yesterday.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 04:59 PM

Landry does this all the time. It's nothing unusual. And it doesn't cause him to drop balls.

Just trying to understand why he dropped perhaps two of the easiest catches he'll ever have....when normally he's a lock for any pass...Just appeared to be me a mental thing imho. (aint bashing Jarvis)
Posted By: cle23 Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 05:01 PM

Just trying to understand why he dropped perhaps two of the easiest catches he'll ever have....when normally he's a lock for any pass...Just appeared to be me a mental thing imho. (aint bashing Jarvis)

It honestly looked to me that he just tried running before he caught the ball. I think these guys get so used to making the circus catches even the easiest ones they can lose concentration on and drop.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 05:03 PM
Originally Posted By: cle23

It honestly looked to me that he just tried running before he caught the ball. I think these guys get so used to making the circus catches even the easiest ones they can lose concentration on and drop.

Very possible, moving eyes/head upfield before securing the catch (which is understandable considering the field on those flats can be just as dangerous as the middle of the field)
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 05:05 PM
Originally Posted By: cle23

Very possible, moving eyes/head upfield before securing the catch (which is understandable considering the field on those flats can be just as dangerous as the middle of the field)

Posted By: CalDawg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 05:05 PM
Yeah, he's a chatterbox. Having fun out there usually. He made a great catch to open the game and then that one off the back of the defender was sensational. The two drops were highly uncharacteristic, probably a minor lapse in concentration, looking upfield before he had the ball or something like that. But I'm positive he will beat himself up and work on that aspect until it's second nature. JMHO
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 05:13 PM
Quote:

Just trying to understand why he dropped perhaps two of the easiest catches he'll ever have

You have to remember that Landry is playing for his fourth head coach and is in his third offense in the last three years. We have to remember that reps were limited and preseason games were canceled due to Covid. He's improving and we are 4 and 1. No need to be negative.

wink rofl
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 05:19 PM
Oh no Broncos
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 05:30 PM
Quote:

Just trying to understand why he dropped perhaps two of the easiest catches he'll ever have

You have to remember that Landry is playing for his fourth head coach and is in his third offense in the last three years. We have to remember that reps were limited and preseason games were canceled due to Covid. He's improving and we are 4 and 1. No need to be negative.

wink rofl
lmao I see what you did there Vers
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 05:34 PM

Didn't Landry go to the tent after that one over the defenders helmet catch? Could he possibly be playing the rest of the game some for of hand injury that hampered his ability to catch?
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 05:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave
Lots of kudos being handed out after this win, all well-deserved. But I want to send a shout-out to O-Line coach, Bill Callahan. Guy has done a bang-up job, and the improvement is obvious even to my layman's eye.
Other than KS, Callahan was the best off-season acquisition for the Browns. As I understand it, he has the office next to KS and is his sounding board. Oh, and he has the OL among the league's best.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 05:44 PM
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Yeah, he's a chatterbox. Having fun out there usually. He made a great catch to open the game and then that one off the back of the defender was sensational. The two drops were highly uncharacteristic, probably a minor lapse in concentration, looking upfield before he had the ball or something like that. But I'm positive he will beat himself up and work on that aspect until it's second nature. JMHO

My first thought on the one was he was probably over-excited knowing that he's got nothing but open field up ahead. IF he'd have caught it, that one would have been BIG.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 05:53 PM

Oh I knew you weren't trying to bash him. I was just pointing out that Landry has a history of jawing back and forth with his opponents and that it's a very common thing he does. So there was nothing unusual about that which would throw in off his game.

And the white noise comment from the instigator? Not you...

He knows that the QB position is the most complicated position to learn and that having so many HC's during your young career would have a negative impact on your progression as a QB.

But rather than own up to it he tries to laugh it off. No surprise there.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 06:01 PM
I would not have guessed this...
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 06:05 PM
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan

Didn't Landry go to the tent after that one over the defenders helmet catch? Could he possibly be playing the rest of the game some for of hand injury that hampered his ability to catch?

It's possible, I recall him going to the sidelines after that sideline hit (when a lot of us thought it was his hip) I remember the catch you are talking about...Could be injury related.
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 06:13 PM
Much like last week, this would have been a game we let go in the past. I'm hoping that we learn to put teams away a lot easier and quicker as our season goes.

Baker's getting the job done, but he's not super prolific. I wonder if it's just been the gameplan to make him somewhere in-between game manager and Brett Favre? He can continue to improve and I'm not looking for his replacement anytime soon, either.

Myles was getting a ton of push one-on-one. On one play, I saw a triple team and he pushed all three of them.

Hard to judge the running performance as Indy has a great defense. I think all the RBs did as much as they could.

What will it take to get us better secondary help?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 06:14 PM
I agree. After the kickoff return, that would have folded our tents. I think the safety really helped to re-set ourselves. Myles has done that a few times this year for us
Posted By: BADdog Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 06:23 PM
Did anyone notice near the end of the half Higgins caught a ball and ran out of bounds and the clock kept running? Am I having a brain fart. Shouldnt the clock have stopped?
Posted By: Psydeffect Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 06:46 PM
Originally Posted By: BADdog
Did anyone notice near the end of the half Higgins caught a ball and ran out of bounds and the clock kept running? Am I having a brain fart. Shouldnt the clock have stopped?

I didn't, but I have noticed this in the past. I'm sure someone will correct me on this (and I hope so) but I don't think the clock stops until it's under a certain time limit? Really I'm confused on this also, because I have noticed the clock still running at times when players run out of bounds.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 06:52 PM
clock keeps running on out of bounds plays until the final 2 minutes of the 1st half, and final 5 minutes of the game.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 06:58 PM
It was about 3 minutes at the end of the half
Posted By: Psydeffect Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 07:00 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
clock keeps running on out of bounds plays until the final 2 minutes of the 1st half, and final 5 minutes of the game.

Thanks, never knew the rule.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 07:04 PM
I think, THINK, that was implemented to speed up the game, without having to reduce ads. The old "the games take too long. Should we cut the ads? Heck no, let's change the rules so going out of bounds doesn't matter most of the time. Gotta keep the clock running so we can get the ads on. Money."
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 07:07 PM
Quote:

wink rofl

Who was it, tru dawgs that was bashing on our receivers in an earlier post, C'mon.

Jarvis had a catch behind a defenders shoulder or helmet, that he pulled around the the defenders head, after securing it.

Odell had a catch in the midst of two defenders, while getting a car wreck hit, and keeping an arm under it as he hit the turf, to pull it in,
>A career best catch for most, only his previous circus amazing catches make this one, "just another".

Don't hate on the Wr's tru dawgs, they had a great day.

other news.

Stump Mitchell and Alex Van Pelt deserve mentions.

Glad Parkey hit all his kicks, he came up big,

That final Field Goal was another important play, on an important wining day.

If The Browns come out of that drive only up 6, who knows.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 07:13 PM

Correct.

Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
j/c:

Just watched the rest of the game this afternoon, had to work yesterday and only saw the first quarter on Sunday. Man, we are actually 4 & 1. Wow! It's hard to believe, but it's true.

-Go Browns!
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 07:17 PM
Quote:

wink rofl

Who was it, tru dawgs that was bashing on our receivers in an earlier post, C'mon.

Jarvis had a catch behind a defenders shoulder or helmet, that he pulled around the the defenders head, after securing it.

Odell had a catch in the midst of two defenders, while getting a car wreck hit, and keeping an arm under it as he hit the turf, to pull it in,
>A career best catch for most, only his previous circus amazing catches make this one, "just another".

other news.

Throw...ease up some...I was the biggest advocate for getting Landry here, prior to us even trading for him...I love him, I continually say he's our best and most reliable WR...I even noted I wasn't bashing him...But wondering if the defenders got into his head in this game...As it seems Marlon Humphrey and Marcus Peters surely got into OBJ's head week 1 (OBJ has done much better performance wise since then, I also haven't witnessed him yapping to the extent he did in week 1 either) Lining up the performance and perhaps the adverse effects, to see if that was perhaps the reasoning in the mysterious drops from Landry (obviously that is VERY uncommon for Jarvis) As others said it could of been injury? Could of been just looking upfield? Could have been psychological? Who knows...

I'm surely glad we won, and it isn't a huge deal as we won, and im sure he'll rebound.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 07:40 PM

Thanks, never knew the rule.

Not sure now, but, at one point, I'm pretty sure, there was a stipulation on if the ref determined the ball carrier was moving forward when they went out of bounds,
or if the ref determined the ball carrier was moving backwards at the time they went out of bounds.

Maybe that's a college rule, I don't know, I just know I've heard it before, in an explanation of the change of the rules when they did that ^.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 07:55 PM

Correct.

Isn’t the clock stopped until the ball is placed after a runner runs forward out of bounds with more than the two minutes and five minute rule?
Posted By: FATE Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 08:04 PM

Correct.

Isn’t the clock stopped until the ball is placed after a runner runs forward out of bounds with more than the two minutes and five minute rule?

Only if the player is "moving forward". Flip a coin from what I've seen the last few years.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 08:35 PM
Shout out to Redwine for being put in a getting the INT immediately thumbsup Thats fun stuff!
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 08:53 PM

Mentally I am already on to Pittsburgh.

I don't know if we win against them but we will need to take one of two. So yes this game is "crucial."

I watched some of their game. Nothing surprising. Same team. They are tough minded and play great defense. Ben is throwing it around the yard.

You beat the Steelers by playing sound football in all aspects of the game. You can not lose the turnover war to them.

Not ready to provide keys to win or game plan. Just starting to get itchy.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 10:33 PM
j/c for the first time in years, this team is all in with the coaching staff and they are playing for each other and complimenting each other to the likes I have never seen before.

This is the alignment Depodesta was talking about

Maybe the guy was on to something?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 10/12/20 11:32 PM
Quote:

wink rofl

other news.

Throw...ease up some...I was the biggest advocate for getting Landry here, prior to us even trading for him...I love him, I continually say he's our best and most reliable WR...I even noted I wasn't bashing him...But wondering if the defenders got into his head in this game...As it seems Marlon Humphrey and Marcus Peters surely got into OBJ's head week 1 (OBJ has done much better performance wise since then, I also haven't witnessed him yapping to the extent he did in week 1 either) Lining up the performance and perhaps the adverse effects, to see if that was perhaps the reasoning in the mysterious drops from Landry (obviously that is VERY uncommon for Jarvis) As others said it could of been injury? Could of been just looking upfield? Could have been psychological? Who knows...

I'm surely glad we won, and it isn't a huge deal as we won, and im sure he'll rebound.

Sorry tru. My reply was intended to be funny and it was funny. Some have a stick up their butt and are all-in on some war that only exists in their minds.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 12:25 AM

Posted By: OrangeCrush Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 12:50 AM
I'd like to give some love to the LB corps. I thought they really stepped-up and played their best game of year so far.

Takitaki had a nice play were he shed a block and made a tackle, and Malcolm Smith had a really big hit later in the game!

The whole team is showing growth!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 12:52 AM
j/c...

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 12:53 AM
Originally Posted By: OrangeCrush
I'd like to give some love to the LB corps. I thought they really stepped-up and played their best game of year so far.

Takitaki had a nice play were he shed a block and made a tackle, and Malcolm Smith had a really big hit later in the game!

The whole team is showing growth!

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 12:55 AM

Posted By: BADdog Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 12:57 AM
wow for Redwine, next man up did his job! thumbsup
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 01:02 AM

Correct.

I read this online, but pretty sure it wasn't NFL specific,
Clock stops until the ball is placed in the final minutes.
Clock stops until the ball is snapped before the 2minutes/5minutes. (half/endofgame) (Shoot, I'm backwards, Vice Versa!)
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 01:08 AM
Pittsburgh plays great defense?

Why do people keep saying this?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 01:10 AM
They typically do, but they did get lit up yesterday. What's crazy is that Philly has a ton of injuries at receiver and along the OL, yet they still put up a ton of points against the Steelers.

I'm thinking we should actually win this game.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 01:12 AM
Jeff Driskell moved the ball on that D.

They are all bark, no bite.

Go and take the win. We should be the favorites and play like it as well.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 01:44 AM
They typically do, but they did get lit up yesterday. What's crazy is that Philly has a ton of injuries at receiver and along the OL, yet they still put up a ton of points against the Steelers.

I'm thinking we should actually win this game.

I totally agree if the Browns were only Freakin Healthy!

Hunt looked noticeably banged up in the 2nd half, noticeable that Johnson was in the game, in that late 4th quarter drive,
Look at the play the Oline carried him for his last 3 yards of a 10 yard gain, in the 2nd half, is he healthy on that play?

Hunt looked healthy during his 1st half catch, but I'm worried if he is playing through something that won't go away, and Johnson had 7 carries for 4 yards apart from his one 28 yarder, That the Browns are going to show up without a runningback at some point they need one.

Still a winnable game, Go Browns!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 02:08 AM
Jc

I’ve noticed that Clayborne hasn’t been very effective. I see his grade for last game kinda confirms this too
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 04:15 AM
wow for Redwine, next man up did his job! thumbsup

His very first play in the game, too- if I'm not mistaken.
That was a very cool moment.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 04:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Jc

I’ve noticed that Clayborne hasn’t been very effective. I see his grade for last game kinda confirms this too

He is fighting through a hip if I recall.
Posted By: PETE314 Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 12:29 PM
I dunno about that. Our RBs were working HARD in this game. Things opened up a little at the end when Johnson and Hunt got their long runs, but it looked to me like they were getting hit at the LoS quite a bit throughout the game.

Hunt is elusive, but he also runs violently. This is NOT a thunder-and-lightning pairing in our backfield. It's a 2-feature-back pairing. Both have speed and elusiveness, both can catch, and both can lay a hit on a DB.

Oh no...don't get me wrong....the differences between Chubb and Hunt are far more subtle than "Thunder and Lightning". But there is a little bit more power in Chubb's style and a little more slickness/shiftiness (as he seems to squirt though tiny holes rather than bust through) in Hunt's style.

I guess to illustrate my point, let's look at the 2 combos...Chubb/Hunt vs Hunt/D'Ernest....Let's not focus on overall talent level (because obviously Chubb wins that) and look at just the "styles". Both Hunt and Chubb run strong and can make hard cuts..but D'Enest runs in a style far more similar to Hunt than Chubb, and as a result I think the Chubb/Hunt combo is more complimentary and is better equipped to keep a defense off balance.

I think that is the point I wanted to make...
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 01:27 PM
Quote:
Hollywood 3 catches on 3 targets and a TD. Huge block on the D'Earnest Johnson game ending run. There is nothing this hero cannot do!

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 01:40 PM
j/c...

How many times were the Browns the team giving up a score before halftime last year? Seemed like it was a forgone conclusion every game....

Posted By: FATE Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 01:42 PM
With impeccable clock management in every case. That's totally foreign to Browns fans!
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 01:44 PM
I saw Higgins covering a punt - that was fair caught. I don't recollect ever seeing him on STs...interesting.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 01:55 PM
I just assumed this was part of the reason why he wasn't seeing the field. He was giving his spot to a guy that was pulling double-duty.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 02:19 PM
I just assumed this was part of the reason why he wasn't seeing the field. He was giving his spot to a guy that was pulling double-duty.

I agree. I had to rewind the "tape" to make sure I had the #82 correct.

I have no issue with Hodges and I admit I'm a big Higgins fan...but in my mind, Higgins is much better value/impact as a #3 catcher-of-the-ball than Hodges is a better ST contributor. Seeing Higgins throw that block on D'Earnest's game sealer and then seeing him covering a punt certainly caught my eye.

Given my opinion there, Higgins/DPJ is a better duo than Hodges/DPJ.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 03:20 PM
Baker showed some growth, and he also showed perpetuation of some mistakes. I just hope he consistently sees additional growth.

Growth points: did anyone notice he started to climb the pocket better in the first half on at least a couple of throws? He also did a good job of getting past his first read.

Perpetual issues: he still held on to the ball too long, which ultimately led to his first pick.

Ver mentioned Stefanski's trust issues. I'm not sure how much of it is trust vs not wanting to overload him and bring him along slowly, but surely, or even a combination thereof.

As with the Colts, I think the Steelers are going to run blitz a lot and force Baker to beat them. He will need to rise to the occasion again. He did enough in the first half against the Colts to make them change their strategy. Hopefully he keeps the Steelers honest.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 03:31 PM
Baker’s definitely doing “little things” much better this year:

- staying in the pocket more
- better PA fakes
- more organized at the line
- actually trying to get through progressions a BIT
- being more subdued and focused

He’s about 10% of the way to being “fixed” (if he ever will be) ... but I’ve seen improvement
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 03:37 PM
I don't believe there is any trust issue. '

1. The game plan to win the game was to come out and throw instead of run.

2. Despite a poor showing in the second half, Baker was still throwing on the second to last series.

We can speculate if you want to - or have an agenda - that not throwing on the last series of the game was out of mis-trust of his QB ... or you could speculate that based on analytics/logic of game time, score, field position, expected defense ... that running was a higher probability call than passing. But at the end of the day all this speculation about trust and the other stuff is exactly that. Speculation.

Yes - I definitely saw Baker going through progressions again. I saw him trying to stay in the pocket and climb the pocket. Good signs. I also saw bad throws that sailed. Pittsburgh is going to be really interesting - they have seen him 3 times, beaten him twice ... if he has tendencies and deficiencies, I'd put money on Pit exploiting them.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 04:22 PM
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie

I agree. I had to rewind the "tape" to make sure I had the #82 correct.

I have no issue with Hodges and I admit I'm a big Higgins fan...but in my mind, Higgins is much better value/impact as a #3 catcher-of-the-ball than Hodges is a better ST contributor. Seeing Higgins throw that block on D'Earnest's game sealer and then seeing him covering a punt certainly caught my eye.

Given my opinion there, Higgins/DPJ is a better duo than Hodges/DPJ.

Hodges is out with an injury, for arguments sake.

But HECK YA Hodges "has not yet" been the Threat Higgins has proven to be!

Higgins has caught a Td in 4 separate years, running
Mitchell has been a Db since Baker's first game
Baker has won more games as a Browns Qb in First Energy Stadium than Derek Anderson and any Browns Qb has.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 04:41 PM

They are third in overall defense.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/defense

But I am going more from history playing against them.

Last year Watt ate Hubbard alive. They do a great job of disguising their blitz's and where they come from. And they bring it often.

They have always been good against the run.

I respect them and their coach. That does not mean we can't beat them.

Posted By: Dave Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 04:45 PM
I think there may have been an injury factor on that last possession. We already know he had bruised ribs from the hit on his second Int. He also reportedly had a wrist injury from the sack that was negated by the offside penalty, and I recall seeing Baker bent over, with his right arm hanging down as if he had hurt his right shoulder too on the hit that bruised his ribs. May have been a stinger judging by his body language leaving the field. All of which begs the question: why not go with Keenum if Baker was hurting, and the desire was to throw the ball?

Maybe the plan was to work the clock, then punt, and bet that Rivers didn't have the gas to drive down the field for a winning TD with time running out. Maybe the clinching FG was an unexpected bonus because of D'Ernest's clutch run on 3rd & 9? We really have no way of knowing, but I think an assumption of Stefanski having trust issues with Mayfield is a reach.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 04:54 PM
Dave, there are a lot of posters speaking for me, so please don't just take their word for it and let me explain.

I am NOT saying there ARE trust issues in the clutch. I am saying it is something to watch for and/or monitor as the year progresses. Baker's 4th quarter numbers have been bad this year. Worst in the league. We have been running the ball when we need to clinch the game on the last drive. I get that running is smart, but the 3rd and 8 makes me wonder.

There are analysts saying the same thing. Guys who actually played qb. Once again, I am not saying there definitely are trust issues in the clutch, but it's something to think about and watch for because eventually we are going to need Baker to step up and make plays in the clutch.

Oh, and let me say something else because there are folks saying things in other threads that are also misrepresenting my opinions. I do NOT think we should bench Baker. I do think we need to see if he improves. I do not think we should cut Baker. I do believe it takes time to learn a new offense and there is the possibility of growth.

I'm telling you this because you and I get along and I don't want to get into a war w/certain posters. I don't even respond to their posts anymore. It's just tough when they twist my intentions around and then others automatically believe them.
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 05:20 PM
Did you sign up for the all-22 film?

If I had more time and internet data I would. I'd like to see what open looks he's missing in the 4th or if it's just super conservative playcalling by Stefanski.

Either way, both should hopefully improve.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 05:21 PM
I wouldn't make some of the word choices that you make Vers BUT if a reader couldn't see who wrote some of your post and just read the content objectively you have to give the content credence.

So words like "trust" are given a certain connotation because you said them. I'm not telling you how to write or what to write. You are your own man.

Nobody should try to pidgeon whole me because I attempt to read what you post objectively. I don't always agree with you. If its not worth a pissing contest to me I just keep it moving. The same with other posters who I might not see eye-to-eye with.

I don't frame my concerns with Baker as critically as you might but I can't dismiss what you say, out of hand, either.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 05:23 PM
I obviously don't speak for vers, but when I've mentioned 4th quarter misses, I'm talking about when he's thrown and missed. Ex. the pass to OBJ in the Dallas game just prior to OBJ's end-around.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 05:31 PM
Somewhat different topic...

I thought the following was a surprising insightful article. Surprising because it came from the PD which often treads on surface aspects of the team. After I read the article and thought about how the game was called it seemed accurate.

I makes me hopeful against the Squeelers.

Smooth Operator...

Kevin Stefanski once again smoothly operated the Browns to victory and called his best game yet: Film review
Updated Oct 12, 9:15 AM; Posted Oct 11, 8:22 PM
Cleveland Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski vs. Indianapolis Colts, October 11, 2020
Facebook Share
Twitter Share
shares
By Ellis L. Williams, cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Is Kevin Stefanski too old to be considered a “boy wonder?”

Perhaps at 38 years young, his new nickname should be “Smooth Operator,” as Baker Mayfield referred to him earlier this week.

Stefanski isn’t interested in any title other than head coach. He doesn’t seek praise because he doesn’t need it. But that doesn’t mean he isn’t worthy of a slick alter ego.

After calling his best game yet as a Brown against the Colts' No. 1 ranked defense, he’s earned it.

Behind a complete and calculated game plan, Cleveland won its fourth straight game, beating the Colts 32-23 at FirstEnergy Stadium on Sunday.

Let’s unpack why Stefanski called his best game yet.

The Browns avoided third and long against a fierce Colts defense

Coming into the game, the Colts led the league in third-down defense. Teams were only converting 31% of their third-down tries. On Sunday, Cleveland went 10 of 17 on third down and averaged only 4.6 yards to go on third downs.

That’s the game.

Yes, of course nine points from the Browns defense helps, but Stefanski made a deliberate effort to avoid third-and-long against a Colts defense that was forcing opposing quarterbacks into a 17.0 passer rating.

As Pro Football Focus pointed out this week, spiking the ball was a “better” play than throwing on Indy’s secondary.

There are a few reasons for that.

First, the Colts' pass rush features two All-Pro talents in Justin Houston and DeForest Buckner. By getting into third down and more than 6 yards (passing situation), Houston and Buckner can pin their ears back and get after the quarterback.

Neither had a sack on Sunday.

Stefanski knew he couldn’t put Baker Mayfield in such situations, which is why Cleveland instead generated positive plays on early downs, focused on power runs and play-action passes: To make life on third and fourth downs much easier.

Cleveland’s average distance to go on second down was 8 yards -- meaning, Cleveland averaged about 4 yards per play on second down, including four passes of 7 or more yards to either Jarvis Landry, Odell Beckham Jr. and Rashard Higgins.

Higgins' second-quarter touchdown came via a verticals concept. Mayfield found Higgins inside the hole of the Colts' press-man-to-man, two-high-safety look.

Then to end the game, Stefanski once again remained disciplined. Instead of throwing on third and 9 with 2:27 to play, he stuck with his go-to play: power left.

Even without right guard Wyatt Teller, Stefanski trusted his unit to make a play, and backup guard Chris Hubbard didn’t disappoint. Notice Hubbard pull across the formation and fill a hole, allowing backup running back D’Ernest Johnson to probe downfield before bouncing it outside for 18 yards and the win.

Stefanski trusted two backups (Hubbard and Johnson) at the game’s most critical moment. That’s fine coaching, teaching and ultimately, execution.

What we learned

Of course, every team wants to avoid third and long. But many coaches cannot resist calling aggressive vertical passing plays on early downs. Before they know it, it’s third-and-10 after two incompletions.

Stefanski didn’t let that happen to Mayfield on Sunday. He’s protecting his team and his quarterback by fully understanding the opponent and practicing the discipline to honor his game plan.

It’s so impressive. Cleveland landed a real one. I doubt “Smooth Operator” sticks, but it should because that’s exactly what Stefanski is.

Browns Mask Affiliate Promo 2020
Posted By: FATE Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 05:36 PM
Good stuff Guard ~ Thanks!
Posted By: BADdog Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 06:12 PM
Is Stefanski going by strict money ball stats? Seems that was one reason we we got rid of Dorsey and Kitchens they didnt trust the stats.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 06:36 PM
With that 3rd down play call ... I wondered how much of it was “I don’t trust Baker ... let’s make them burn the final timeout and pin them back”
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 06:55 PM
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
Smooth Operator...

Coming into the game, the Colts led the league in third-down defense. Teams were only converting 31% of their third-down tries. On Sunday, Cleveland went 10 of 17 on third down and averaged only 4.6 yards to go on third downs.

That’s the game.

Yes, of course nine points from the Browns defense helps, but Stefanski made a deliberate effort to avoid third-and-long against a Colts defense that was forcing opposing quarterbacks into a 17.0 passer rating.

Then to end the game, Stefanski once again remained disciplined. Instead of throwing on third and 9 with 2:27 to play, he stuck with his go-to play: power left.

Even without right guard Wyatt Teller, Stefanski trusted his unit to make a play, and backup guard Chris Hubbard didn’t disappoint. Notice Hubbard pull across the formation and fill a hole, allowing backup running back D’Ernest Johnson to probe downfield before bouncing it outside for 18 yards and the win.

Stefanski trusted two backups (Hubbard and Johnson) at the game’s most critical moment. That’s fine coaching, teaching and ultimately, execution.

These two stuck out to me.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 06:59 PM
Originally Posted By: AZBrown
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
Smooth Operator...

That’s the game.

These two stuck out to me.

And don't forget Hollywoods devastating block on the outside, yes another backup smile
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 08:19 PM
Dave, there are a lot of posters speaking for me, so please don't just take their word for it and let me explain.

I am NOT saying there ARE trust issues in the clutch. I am saying it is something to watch for and/or monitor as the year progresses. Baker's 4th quarter numbers have been bad this year. Worst in the league. We have been running the ball when we need to clinch the game on the last drive. I get that running is smart, but the 3rd and 8 makes me wonder.

There are analysts saying the same thing. Guys who actually played qb. Once again, I am not saying there definitely are trust issues in the clutch, but it's something to think about and watch for because eventually we are going to need Baker to step up and make plays in the clutch.

Oh, and let me say something else because there are folks saying things in other threads that are also misrepresenting my opinions. I do NOT think we should bench Baker. I do think we need to see if he improves. I do not think we should cut Baker. I do believe it takes time to learn a new offense and there is the possibility of growth.

I'm telling you this because you and I get along and I don't want to get into a war w/certain posters. I don't even respond to their posts anymore. It's just tough when they twist my intentions around and then others automatically believe them.

Running on the 3rd and 9 play call, combined with his 4Q performance definitely raises an eyebrow on that topic. I'm glad it worked out, regardless. Had we lost the game after that, I'm sure it would be under more scrutiny.

Along with his performance against the Colts, he also missed the wide open pass to Beckham vs the Cowboys in the 4th quarter.

I also see the point about wanting to keep the clock running and Baker getting hurt. Was that also the series where he just slightly overthrew Hooper? I honestly can't remember.

One thing is for sure...we aren't always going to be in the position of fending off the other team from overcoming our lead. At some point, we're going to have to claw back, and it's going to fall on Baker. That will be a moment where he needs to shine. Hell, could happen as early as this weekend.
Posted By: Dave Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 08:29 PM
I admit to wanting Mayfield to succeed, and I'm sure you feel the same because he plays QB for our team. I'm not one who takes it personally if someone is more critical of him than I am, because we all see what we see, and I've read your posts long enough to take you at your word that you have a valid reason for thinking what you think. So, I wasn't impugning you, or anyone else for thinking that maybe the HC doesn't trust him with the ball in his hands and the game on the line. Its a legit concern, I just don't see it that way. Not that you need my permission, but keep posting what you think and don't bother yourself with people disagreeing. All this is just for fun, after all.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 08:29 PM
That's a good way to frame the conversation... what about when (not if) we get off to a poor start?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 10:45 PM
Thanks oober, guard, 5, and Dave.

I think my history on this board shows that I call it like I see it. I'm not always right, but it's not because I have an "agenda." Hell, that is one of the dumbest words ever when used to describe opinions. It's intended to diminish the validity of an opposing opinion. Nothing more.

Anyway, I do have to say that one of the reasons the "trust" thing came into my mind is because when both Dallas and Indy made the game tight, I did not trust Baker. I thought he would gag. Then, when I saw the play calls on the final drives the last two weeks, I began to wonder more. Again, I am not saying it is the truth. Just something to monitor. Fate and I had a discussion on the Baker thread and he said that he does trust Baker. I didn't try to argue w/him. It's his opinion and I respect it. I think that is talking football, but there are a handful of posters who seemingly reside on here to shout down the opinions of others. Attack one's personality/character and it invalidates whatever that person says. It's childish and mean-spirited.

With that being said, I know all four of you guys think more highly of Baker than I do. My goal is not to try and change your minds. It's to discuss and debate fairly. I think we all learn when that is done. The problem is that we rarely get to dive into such discussions because a handful of posters have the need to shout down any contrary opinions.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 11:30 PM
Are you finished trashing Baker?

wink

I respect your football opinion, and always have, & I see what you are saying when you talk about the high throws, bailing to his left, which is in my opinion is partly due to the shortness of the boy.

I also think he’s got guts, has a good arm and can get hot in a hurry.

I want him to succeed cuz I’m a Browns fan .... I didn’t even want to draft him but once we did, I’m on board until I’m not.

He’s helped - notice that word - get us to 4-1.

Let’s hope he plants a flag in Pittsburgh. wink
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 11:32 PM
LOL....

One thing, bro. I'm not saying he is "bailing" to his left. They are designed roll outs. He bailed to the right last year. He's doing better in that aspect of the game this year. Improvement.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Post Game - 10/13/20 11:52 PM
I meant the other left.

Lol, the ones where he rolls left are much more effective.

Edit reason: used the wrong word again.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Post Game - 10/14/20 05:39 AM
j/c

Re-watching the game tonight.

At 14:51 in Q4, Spero Dedes announces: "First time that the Browns have punted in this game-"

...and I had to hit the pause button, to share that fireworks went off in my brain.

Browns went 3 entire quarters without a punt.

Against a highly-rated, NFL- caliber Defense.
That's pretty remarkable.

I'm starting to sense that culture shift I've begged & screamed about for 2 decades. Still early, but this... this not only feels different, it looks different. Calm, confident HC, calling plays like football is chess, and his last name is Kasparov. Disciplined players not hurting the team with boneheaded mistakes. Complimentary play- and more importantly: compensatory play.

That last one is truly important, imho. Compensatory play is what good teams do when one or another of their squads is struggling in any given game. If the O is having trouble moving the ball, the D steps up to limit the other team to 3-and-outs... or forces a turnover. If the D is getting overwhelmed, the O mounts a dominant, time-consuming drive to give them a blow, and give the DC time to adjust the game calls.

Good teams have been doing this stuff to the Browns for years and years. I have to say, it's a real treat to see Browns doing it to other teams. Teams that have routinely had our number.

I don't think I'm seeing a mirage this time.

Last year, I wrote a little piece of fan fiction. In it, I described a desperate shipwreck survivor (Browns fan) clinging to flotsam, as he watches his happy cruise ship sink, and his Paradise Island recede from view over the horizon. I wrote it as a joke, in that 'dark humor' style that only True Browns Fans could ever understand (don't forget- one of our own dubbed this team a "Factory of sadness"). But that was last year.

So many issues of substance look different this year.
Overall, the team just looks more polished, poised and prepared than in most other years.

THIS is the early evidence I've been looking/begging for in every single regime the Browns have trotted out since 1999. Basic competence. Professional standards. All oars rowing in unison. Boat on a straight course.

It's early... but I'm starting to allow optimism to infiltrate my Battered Dawg Syndrome.

This completely upends my personal world view.
I wasn't ready for this- this early. With an entirely new coaching staff. And no conventional offseason/TC. This scenario had: TYPICAL BROWN MELTDOWN written all over it from the very start.

And look where we are. 4-1.
With a chance to take down PIT in a divisional tilt that doesn't actually scare me all that much.

I'm still not used to being this kind of Browns Fan.
Good thing I have my therapist on one-touch speed dial...
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Post Game - 10/14/20 07:11 AM
Quote:
This scenario had: TYPICAL BROWN MELTDOWN written all over it from the very start.

This has been my thought as well towards the end of the last two games. Even my wife said "...so they're going to lose now?"

This is different. The defense kept fighting even with Mean Man Myles getting a breather on Indy's final drive. He comes in forces a pressure, and then game over right into the arms of a youngin' who had his number called the last two weeks.

This truly is exciting. Two weeks ago when OBJ had the end around TD I went from "Noooooo..." *quizical look as he breaks a tackle* *stand up from the recliner* "WHAT?! GO GO GO GO!" as he ran into the endzone. My wife looked at me and asked "wait, why you were saying no? What just happened? Did they score?"

Despite the dumpster fire that is 2020, we finally don't have a dumpster fire of a team.
Posted By: eotab Re: Post Game - 10/14/20 01:08 PM

Game winning block

What I enjoyed was in years past that comes back with a block in the back or a holding penalty. Higgins made an excellent block but more important did so without getting a flag thrown on us thumbsup I still don't understand why he sits as much as he does. ???
Posted By: BADdog Re: Post Game - 10/14/20 04:04 PM
I still don't understand why he sits as much as he does. ???

It is mind boggling
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Post Game - 10/14/20 08:02 PM
Thanks oober, guard, 5, and Dave.

I think my history on this board shows that I call it like I see it. I'm not always right, but it's not because I have an "agenda." Hell, that is one of the dumbest words ever when used to describe opinions. It's intended to diminish the validity of an opposing opinion. Nothing more.

Anyway, I do have to say that one of the reasons the "trust" thing came into my mind is because when both Dallas and Indy made the game tight, I did not trust Baker. I thought he would gag. Then, when I saw the play calls on the final drives the last two weeks, I began to wonder more. Again, I am not saying it is the truth. Just something to monitor. Fate and I had a discussion on the Baker thread and he said that he does trust Baker. I didn't try to argue w/him. It's his opinion and I respect it. I think that is talking football, but there are a handful of posters who seemingly reside on here to shout down the opinions of others. Attack one's personality/character and it invalidates whatever that person says. It's childish and mean-spirited.

With that being said, I know all four of you guys think more highly of Baker than I do. My goal is not to try and change your minds. It's to discuss and debate fairly. I think we all learn when that is done. The problem is that we rarely get to dive into such discussions because a handful of posters have the need to shout down any contrary opinions.

I'm with you there, brother.

I don't necessarily think more highly of Baker, but I do wonder what Stefanski thinks of him. He definitely has been hesitant to put the game on Baker's shoulders, especially after the first game. I just don't know how much of that is trust vs. not trying to reverse Baker's mental "therapy" that Stefanski has seemingly instituted this year. He seems to want to bring him along slowly, because, at times, he will really allow Baker to sling it, but it seems to be in controlled, lower-risk circumstances.

What I'm anxiously awaiting, like Oober mentioned, is how Stefanski deals with it and calls plays the next time he has no choice but to put the game in Baker's hands. We are the underdog this weekend, playing in a hostile environment, so we definitely could see it happen Sunday. I want to go out on a limb and actually predict that we're going to see Baker this weekend with the game in his hands late.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Post Game - 10/14/20 08:06 PM
We ran on Pittsburgh last season in our win last season, I think we should be able to do it again.

I'd prefer to put off that little experiment until later.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Post Game - 10/14/20 08:07 PM
Just want to add another thing. I would really love to see 4 consistent quarters of good play by Baker. The first half of the Colts game was possibly the best version of Baker we've seen. The second half was 2019 Baker all over again.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Post Game - 10/15/20 02:07 AM
I believe Cody Parkey is 24-24 on extra points and field goals. Can’t ask for anything more from him.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Post Game - 10/15/20 03:41 AM
Cody has been kicking it straight.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Post Game - 10/15/20 03:42 AM
Cody is the new Phil.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game - 10/15/20 03:44 AM

Until he needed to ice the game last week.
Posted By: Dave Re: Post Game - 10/15/20 11:57 AM

A doink off the upright will look the same as drilling it right down the middle on the scoreboard. Its just like in baseball where every bloop / bleeder / ground-ball-with-eyes looks like a line drive in the box score the next day. Its better to be lucky than good.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Post Game - 10/15/20 12:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Frenchy
I believe Cody Parkey is 24-24 on extra points and field goals. Can’t ask for anything more from him.

Just curious -

Does the blocked XP count in this? Or does it not since it became a 2 point conversion?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Post Game - 10/15/20 01:36 PM
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

Just curious -

Does the blocked XP count in this? Or does it not since it became a 2 point conversion?

It counts as a 2 pt. conversion. The same as a fake kick.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Post Game - 10/15/20 02:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Just curious -

It counts as a 2 pt. conversion. The same as a fake kick.

And the Cowboys were offside.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Post Game - 10/15/20 03:22 PM

Just curious -

Posted By: chet the jet Re: Post Game - 10/15/20 08:36 PM
I still don't understand why he sits as much as he does. ???

It is mind boggling

Well, if it was an issue with his blocking, the play springing Johnson should go a ways to getting him more playing time.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game - 10/15/20 11:38 PM
Does anyone believe that the coaching staff is purposely screwing Higgins or that they don't know who their best players are?
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Post Game - 10/16/20 02:19 PM
I certainly don't think that. I do think that this coaching staff has built up my trust in terms of their player evaluations and scheming.

One thing about Higgins though, is that he seems to have some sort of an intangible chemistry with Mayfield. I can't really put my finger on it, but that back shoulder throw TD against the Colts and (I'm going to go way back here) a post route TD that Higgins had against the Ravens, leaves me with the impression that Mayfield for whatever reason seems to be able to throw with better anticipation to Higgins. On a per-catch basis - which I know skews things with guys who get less reps - Higgins probably has one of the better rates of return.

I fully admit the coaching staff knows infinitely more than me when it comes to the personnel and I know they would never screw over players purposefully, but I can't help but feel there is some sort of an intangible chemistry between Mayfield and Higgins. I could be wrong, as always.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Post Game - 10/16/20 03:58 PM
Does anyone believe that the coaching staff is purposely screwing Higgins or that they don't know who their best players are?

Maybe he practices like Jane but plays like Tarzan.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Post Game - 10/16/20 04:25 PM
I have no way of knowing of you are correct or not. But from my experience of playing sports you could be onto something. I've seen players that I call workout warriors who look great in practice but just can't seem to bring it on game day. I've also seen players who just don't seem to practice well but when the adrenaline starts flowing on game day they play lights out.
Posted By: eotab Re: Post Game - 10/17/20 11:59 AM
As to putting the game on Bakers shoulders.

1. If you don't realize it the Tree Stefanski comes from puts the game on the shoulders of the Running O. That is how they roll.

2. In our biggest game and against the #1 D in the NFL Stefanski has no problems putting the game in Baker's hands as we passed frequently against the Colts and the O did well for our 1st hlaf.

3. With the lead we went to a run O as our Defense was playing great and we wanted to run that clock.

jmho
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Post Game - 10/18/20 03:19 AM
I don’t disagree with you. However, I don’t think the Steelers offense will allow us to transition back to running the way the Colts did.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Post Game - 10/18/20 05:51 AM

That kick had me working every bit of 'Browns Body English' I could muster.

I'm OK with him so far, but dude hasn't kicked in FirstEnergy in December. He hasn't kicked at Heinz or in Buffalo in Heavy Weather.

It's a little premature to call him the next Phil Dawson.

I hope he has Phil Dawson on speed dial... and is mining the gold that Phil learned from all his years here. Buy him steak dinners, hook him up with high-end prostitutes for his intel, whatever... Phil knew every square centimeter of that field. He knew every wind direction tendency of the stadium, and was better at predicting how (and exactly when) to kick than Doppler Radar. We had games when Phil kicked in a calm, 50° 1st qtr, and had to kick on a 36°, windswept 4th qtr.

Grade: Incomplete.

I foresee a game that hinges upon this kid's leg/accuracy/focus/will to win. What he does in those next few moments of his life will tell us whether he's truly the next Phil Dawson or not.

Phil Dawson's cleats are the size of clown shoes.
Good luck to the one trying to step into them.
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Post Game - 10/18/20 07:57 AM
When he was with us in 2016...ugh that year...he did alright. Made 80% of kicks and banged through one that was 50+ yards.
© DawgTalkers.net