DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: RememberMuni Thank You Steelers - 12/27/20 09:32 PM
By winning today, the Steelers allowed the Browns to control their own destiny next week. Had Pittsburgh lost to Indy today, and if Indy would have won next week, the results of the Browns/Steelers game would have made a Browns victory null.
However, as it stands, if the Browns win next week, we’re in the playoffs. I like our chances as I expect Pittsburgh to rest their starters.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/27/20 09:34 PM
Originally Posted By: RememberMuni
By winning today, the Steelers allowed the Browns to control their own destiny next week. Had Pittsburgh lost to Indy today, and if Indy would have won next week, the results of the Browns/Steelers game would have made a Browns victory null.
However, as it stands, if the Browns win next week, we’re in the playoffs. I like our chances as I expect Pittsburgh to rest their starters.

Hopefully we have our 7 starters back
thumbsup
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/27/20 09:36 PM
we do NOT control our own destiny next week any more than we did this week.

We have like ONE scenario to get in next week: we must beat Pittsburgh AND the Dolphins have to lose.

We're done. The season effectively ended two fiscal hours ago.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/27/20 09:37 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

We have like ONE scenario to get in next week: we must beat Pittsburgh AND the Dolphins have to lose.

Nope. Colts are the odd team out right now. Win and we are in. Browns are currently the #7 seed and Colts on the outside looking in.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/27/20 09:39 PM

According to the ESPN playoff calculator, if all contending teams win, we are in. I posted the pic in the playoff thread.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/27/20 09:40 PM
well, damn!
I stand corrected. I thought I had just ran all of these scenarios during the game; apparently, I did not.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/27/20 09:41 PM
well, damn!
I stand corrected. I thought I had just ran all of these scenarios during the game; apparently, I did not.

Posted By: RememberMuni Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/27/20 09:41 PM
That’s not true. Because Indy lost, they need to win and need us to lose next week. Had Indy won, they would simply need to win next week. Pittsburgh did us a huge solid by beating them today. - Not only does this allow the Browns to control their own destiny, but it increases the likelihood that Pitts’ will rest their starters next week.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/27/20 09:42 PM

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

Dolphins can win and as long as we beat the steelers we are in.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/27/20 09:42 PM
Yup; I stand corrected.
Posted By: pfm1963 Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/27/20 09:44 PM
We beat the Steelers and we are in......Honestly, I do not like our chances.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/27/20 09:44 PM

I don't think so....win and in is how I see it.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/27/20 09:51 PM
I can't Thank the Steelers.

Thank You Colts for losing.
Posted By: RememberMuni Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/27/20 09:51 PM
Originally Posted By: pfm1963
We beat the Steelers and we are in......Honestly, I do not like our chances.

I’m not sure, but I’m thinking they’ll rest their starters. They are going to do what is best for them. Either way, if we can’t beat them next week, then we don’t belong in the playoffs. - Losing to them and the Ravens twice each.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/27/20 09:51 PM

NFL playoff picture: Browns need to beat Steelers to make playoffs
Dan Kadar
Akron Beacon Journal

The Browns could have clinched a playoff berth with a win and a loss by either the Baltimore Ravens or Indianapolis Colts.

But by losing to the New York Jets 23-16, the Browns were unable to clinch a playoff spot in Week 16.

The Pittsburgh Steelers beat the Colts 28-24, which helps the Browns. But the Ravens beat the New York Giants 27-13, which dramatically diminished the Browns' chances of making the playoffs.

Now things come down to Week 17 against the rival Pittsburgh Steelers.

It's simple. If the Browns beat the Steelers, they're in. If they lose to the Steelers, the Browns will need help, but they can still squeak in.
Posted By: RememberMuni Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/27/20 09:52 PM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
I can't Thank the Steelers.

Thank You Colts for losing.

Indeed! I created the wrong title for this thread. Lol.
Posted By: pfm1963 Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/27/20 09:57 PM
Next week, if Miami , Indy, and Ravens win, and both Cleveland and Tennessee lose, the Browns are in.
Posted By: RememberMuni Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/27/20 10:00 PM
Or if Cleveland wins, Cleveland is in!
Posted By: pfm1963 Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/27/20 10:03 PM
Originally Posted By: RememberMuni
Or if Cleveland wins, Cleveland is in!

Beat Pittsburgh????

We need to say our prayers.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/27/20 10:09 PM
Cleveland is not winning next week.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/27/20 10:11 PM
I see the Steelers playing everybody, and us having many players out again. IMO, the loss today did us in. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/27/20 10:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
I see the Steelers playing everybody, and us having many players out again. IMO, the loss today did us in. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted

You might be right - idk... but even if the WR's are out, we'll have a week to prep. Finding out 48 hours or less before the game is brutal.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/27/20 10:17 PM
All I wanted was to be playing for something at season's end. If this is correct, that we can win in, let's go get it. We stunk it up today, especially BM. Desire is not points on the board.

I was so angry with this group today.
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/27/20 10:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

Nope. Colts are the odd team out right now. Win and we are in. Browns are currently the #7 seed and Colts on the outside looking in.
You are correct.
Posted By: The Beast Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/27/20 11:28 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
well, damn!

So basically the Browns need to beat Pittsburgh. Colts aren't losing to Jacksonville at home. I can't see Pittsburgh resting anyone. They are still trying to get their act together. Plus, as the Browns would LOVE to eliminate the Steelers in any other year, you know they are thinking the same thing. The Browns MUST have all their players back next week or the season is over. Period.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/27/20 11:34 PM
All the receivers should be back. Goodson is out. It doesn’t look good for Wills at this point. Teller and Harrison will be up in the air all week.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/27/20 11:46 PM
Why doesn't it look good for Wills?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/27/20 11:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Why doesn't it look good for Wills?

Because he missed today’s game with an “illness”. My guess is that he’ll land on the COVID list tomorrow.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/27/20 11:50 PM
I am pretty sure I read it was not covid related and more flu like.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/27/20 11:52 PM

Just read he is being tested. Maybe it is covid related.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/27/20 11:52 PM
Originally Posted By: pfm1963
Next week, if Miami , Indy, and Ravens win, and both Cleveland and Tennessee lose, the Browns are in.

That is incorrect. We need to win next week, if we lose we need the Colts to lose to Jacksonville.
Posted By: The Beast Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/28/20 12:39 AM

I could have sworn I read somewhere that the NFL told the Browns that Wills wasn't playing today due to his "illness". Doesn't sound good. But whatever. F the NFL.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/28/20 12:41 AM
Lane Adkins posted about an hour ago that he's being tested for covid. Doesn't mean it's covid, but obviously they suspect it might be.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/28/20 12:43 AM
Man, I thought he was negative.

If Lamm has to play against PIttsburgh that’s no bueno
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/28/20 12:45 AM
I'm a Jaguars fan next sunday
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/28/20 12:53 AM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

We aren't making the playoffs.

Everyone should come to grips with that.

On to next year. We are set on offense. Hopefully Berry can shore up the defense.
Posted By: The Beast Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/28/20 12:54 AM

Look, if Lamm and the rookie RG (name escapes me right now) have to play next week, then DEVELOP a scheme that allows them to be helped. If you KNOW you can't block their 4 or 5 with your 5 then CHANGE the scheme. If your QB is facing heavy pressure, then FIGURE out how to defeat that pressure in the screen game or quick, short passing game. This is what coaches are PAID to do. It's not the Steelers defensive strategy is a secret at this point. SMH
Posted By: The Beast Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/28/20 12:55 AM

We aren't making the playoffs.

Everyone should come to grips with that.

On to next year. We are set on offense. Hopefully Berry can shore up the defense.

This is the reasonable line of thinking. Get some help at LB and DB. And get a damn kicker. Say goodbye to OBJ, Parkey and Sendejo. That would be a GREAT start.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/28/20 01:01 AM
Parkey started off steady, but he’s really fallen off. He’s got no confidence and you can see it
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/28/20 01:02 AM
Parkey started off steady, but he’s really fallen off. He’s got no confidence and you can see it

I agree. You can see the nerves in his face.
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/28/20 01:08 AM

My Dad and I were talking about this today on what each other would do if we scored a TD on the last drive. We both said go for 2. Even if we failed, I would have felt better knowing we went for it than not.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/28/20 01:10 AM
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies

My Dad and I were talking about this today on what each other would do if we scored a TD on the last drive. We both said go for 2. Even if we failed, I would have felt better knowing we went for it than not.
i was saying the same thing ... I didnt trust parkey AT ALL to make it
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/28/20 01:17 AM
Pittsburgh minus-7 1/2 v Browns, per http://BetOnline.ag.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/28/20 01:20 AM
Wow
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/28/20 01:23 AM
BetOnline opened Browns -7.5, and it's currently -7 next week vs. PIT.
Posted By: sk8termom Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/28/20 01:32 AM

That is just ridiculous! I think Cleveland should be favored here. They have so much more to play for.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/28/20 01:34 AM
Scottish Hammer can kick it. He’s got the leg from 65, we need Phil back for the shorter ones.
Posted By: boofers20 Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/28/20 01:49 AM
I don't like our chances, us trying to beat a team that has OWNED us the last 20 years? On the other hand, since it it virtually a playoff game next week, if we can't get fired up for a division rival at home and whoop them, then we deserve to sit at home this winter
Posted By: SteelHack Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/28/20 01:58 AM
An interesting note. It looks like if the Browns win next week... and Buffalo wins... the Browns will be 6th Steelers 4th and play again the next week. If the Dolphins beat the Bills then... Steelers would be 2nd and the Browns 7th.. and would play again next week.

Playing a team 3 times is always tough.. let alone in back to back games. Obviously win is always the plan but I wonder how much matchups even enter into the equation.

HACK
Posted By: slick Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/28/20 02:08 AM
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian

I agree. All of a sudden all those receivers are going to test positive ooo
Posted By: slick Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/28/20 02:12 AM

Probably because Vegas already knows that the nfl is going to "find" a bunch more "close" contacts
Posted By: slick Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/28/20 02:14 AM
Originally Posted By: SteelHack
An interesting note. It looks like if the Browns win next week... and Buffalo wins... the Browns will be 6th Steelers 4th and play again the next week. If the Dolphins beat the Bills then... Steelers would be 2nd and the Browns 7th.. and would play again next week.

Playing a team 3 times is always tough.. let alone in back to back games. Obviously win is always the plan but I wonder how much matchups even enter into the equation.

HACK

From a steelers fans view. I'd you could put a number on it, what would the percentage be that the Steelers play thier starters?
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/28/20 02:22 AM
Quote:
We stunk it up today, especially BM.

couldn't help it- I had to laugh.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/28/20 02:26 AM
Originally Posted By: sk8termom

That is just ridiculous! I think Cleveland should be favored here. They have so much more to play for.

Cleveland is favored according to the spread. Browns are -7.
Posted By: SteelHack Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/28/20 03:32 AM
Honestly I don't know. On the one hand it would be nice to sit some guys and get a weeks rest. But you can only sit so many people. Which means a lot of starters will still be playing... and if you are playing guys, you don't want them getting hurt in a game you decided was not important enough to play everyone... plus you really don't want to back in especially against a team you may have to play again in a week

But on the other hand. You try to build momentum, right the ship, knock a rival out of the playoffs and not have to face them again.

Ideally.. you start everyone.. hope to build a lead and sit guys second half.

If it's me..I play the starters. I want nothing to do with the Browns on back to back weeks.

HACK
Posted By: BuckDawg1946 Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/28/20 03:45 AM
If we make the playoffs, all Browns fans that wanted Indianapolis to win today, need to sit in the corner for the playoffs.

It was reckless for you to want a different result.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/28/20 10:08 AM
I agree w/you. If I was Tomlin and the staff, I’d play everyone. I’d want the momentum and to continue my dominance over Cleveland. Winning this game can still be meaningful
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Thank You Steelers - 12/28/20 04:55 PM
Muni, I certainly feel it but just can't bring myself to say it or type it. wink
© DawgTalkers.net