DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Ballpeen Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/04/21 06:20 PM
If we do indeed go backer in the 1st round, I want Jamin Davis. Below is a nice long breakdown of his tape. Very impressive IMO.

He would be a great trade up target. I think we could get up to Indy's pick around 20.

Posted By: bonefish Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/04/21 07:11 PM

My guess is he will be a consideration at 26. I do believe they would trade up for him.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/04/21 07:42 PM

As we stand today IMO we will draft a corner at 26 or before.

If something nuts like Parsons being there at 26 then sure they would take him.

The priority seems to be corner.

And that position seems pretty deep in this draft.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/04/21 08:58 PM
Originally Posted By: bonefish

As we stand today IMO we will draft a corner at 26 or before.

If something nuts like Parsons being there at 26 then sure they would take him.

The priority seems to be corner.

And that position seems pretty deep in this draft.

Very well could be. I myself am not sold we will go Lb early, but if we do, Davis looks to be the type of linebacker we would seek. I think we value speed and coverage ability over some of the other things the big, old fashioned LB brought to the game.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/04/21 09:35 PM

With the signing of Walker and the players on the roster.

I wonder how Berry and staff are looking at the unit.

It would seem that Malcolm Smith, Anthony Walker would start on the base package.

Jacob Phillips would start in the 4-3.

That leaves Taki, Mack Wilson,
Elijah Lee and Montrel Meander.

Wilson was early on thought to be a good prospect. Last year he fell out of favor. He has to show this staff if he wants a roster spot.

Taki showed some improvement. But he seems to be a fill the gap type player.

Lee and Meander special team guys and depth.

They drafted Phillips and like him. They signed Walker as a free agent. They kept Malcolm Smith.

They are on record of not putting great emphasis on the linebacker position. Prefer corners and safety's.

The guy who seems to fit their views is JOK.

I love the guy. I think he is one of the best players in this draft.

Also Berry places a premium on the pass rush.

So, the edge rushers or Barmore from the tackle position would not be a surprise.

If they do or do not sign Clowney that should make a difference.

In the end I trust this staff.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/04/21 09:39 PM

I like Jamin.

He is an impressive guy both physically and mentally.

But in the end I just see them taking the top corner on their Board.

If one of the top three or four are there at 26.
IMO they will make that pick.
Posted By: eotab Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/05/21 01:12 PM
Its all about us targeting a player...before the draft we will have a specific player that we want and we will have a specific place in the draft where the button gets pushed to move up and get him. We are now in that realm where a specific player is needed not a bevy of players as in years past.

hmmm wonder who I wish that player to be... laugh
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/05/21 04:42 PM
He stood out to me against Florida. Not sure we’ll be drafting a backer like you said tho
Posted By: bonefish Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/06/21 05:18 PM

In today's Daniel Jeremiah's 3.0 mock. He has Davis to the Browns.

He has been banging the drum on Jamin for awhile.

In some ways he may be a bigger version of JOK.

Although JOK's tape is crazy good. One of the most instinctive players I have seen.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/06/21 09:03 PM
Jarmin is one of the most naturally fluid backers i have seen. Long, tall, rangy,Would really be a great scheme fit. I am hoping there is a big run on QBs and overrated pass rushers. Would be a great pickup at 26.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/07/21 02:16 AM
I'm sold ... I'd take a stud LB over a good DE/CB. Watching the film breakdown, the commentator is a little generous on several plays but you can see Davis reads the game really well and has physical tools.
Posted By: eotab Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/07/21 12:54 PM
Who is JOK???
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/07/21 01:02 PM
Originally Posted By: eotab
Who is JOK???

I think it is the Notre Lame guy.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/07/21 01:34 PM
Originally Posted By: eotab
Who is JOK???

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah

JOK Draft Profile on NFL.com
Posted By: bonefish Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/07/21 09:46 PM

Notre Dame LB Jeremiah Owusu Koramoah.

His tape is incredible. A terrific football player.

He is 6'1" 220lb.

Fast, instinctive, hits like a truck. But he is outstanding in coverage.

He can cover wideouts.

IMO he is one of the best players in this draft.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/07/21 09:54 PM
If you want a Safety/LB hybrid, like Peppers was, then he is definitely the guy to get.

I've seen lots of talk about how he covers, but I haven't seen much about whether or not he plays the run well. Any thoughts?
Posted By: bonefish Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/07/21 10:25 PM

The best thing to do is go to his tape.

IMO there is a very good case to make that he is the best linebacker in this draft.

No he does not have the size of Parsons.

However, when you look at totality JOK stands out.

He closes on runners like a knife. He cuts across blockers. Basically using his quickness.

His ability to diagnose a play and close it down stands out to me.

He can tackle.

Peppers was a safety with speed. Not in the same league as Koramoah.

Koramoah can play outside backer and shut down that side.

He is a flat out playmaker.

He can take away so much from an offense.

I think people make to much about weight. If you can tackle and cover and play smart. You do not need to be huge.

When I watch him I don't see 220lbs. I see a damn good player.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/08/21 02:38 AM
Many people thought a lot more highly of Peppers than I ever did. I thought that he would struggle to find a true role in the NFL, and especially in his time here, he did. He's been better in NY, but still not what he was sold as.
Posted By: eotab Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/08/21 12:08 PM
I think in the NFL he would be a SS more so than LB but as noted with Peppers who is a SS first and fore most. He can come in as a LB with certain formations that I hear about Woods wanting to try. 4-1-6 as the LB or even in a 4-2-5

I think he would produce better in the run game as a SS than at LB.

jmho
Posted By: bonefish Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/08/21 12:53 PM

I listened to Koramoah's head coach.

He was very clear on how he was used in their scheme.They played him on the outside. He had multiple responsibilities.

He was asked about his roll in the NFL. The coach said they need to formalize his roll and not move him all over into different positions.

Clearly JOK is a player. This is where Joe Woods needs to provide input. How would they use him and where would he play?

If they coach him into his roll. IMO he will excel.

Pro days, combine, height, weight measureables are guidelines. Watch this guy play. If he can do what you want done. that is what matters.

I have no idea where he will end up. IMO the Browns will draft a corner in the first round.

What I will say is this guy will be good.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/08/21 02:03 PM

I want to add one more comment in regards to JOK.

The Ravens beat us twice. Lamer was the reason. Not so much as a passer but as a runner in combination with passing.

We had no answer in the front seven. Not one of the players is a matchup for Lamer.

So, in there RPO plays once Lamar decides to take off we need that one player who can handle him. JOK has speed and takes angles to close plays down.

IMO he would be a huge asset against the Ravens.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/08/21 02:45 PM
I like the kid Collins from Tulsa but I agree I would be just as happy with Davis too. Davis seems like he has a lot of upside.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/08/21 05:16 PM
i can't put my finger on it exactly, but I would prefer Davis over Collins.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/08/21 06:00 PM

The Ravens beat us twice. Lamer was the reason. Not so much as a passer but as a runner in combination with passing.

We had no answer in the front seven. Not one of the players is a matchup for Lamer.

So, in there RPO plays once Lamar decides to take off we need that one player who can handle him. JOK has speed and takes angles to close plays down.

I agree.
But in attempting to stop Lamar as a runner, 1st, from the coin flip there should be someone assigned to spy Lamar as a runner. (If I hear one more time that they will mid game need to assign someone, I flip my lid)

2. I don't know if one player can stop Lamar as a run threat, to really impact him, It may take 2 sets of 3, (imagine that, 3 on the right side, 3 on the left, all at least semi focused on spying Lamar as a runner.

It is the NFL, it's full of Crazy hard to defend players.

I Agree he may be one of the perfect players to put in that mix, but one player may not be enough.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/08/21 06:56 PM
They run lots of motion to pull LBers out of position to vacate the area he is designed to run. e.g. they will motion the RB from left to right, or at the snap they will drag their slot from left to right, to take the LB with them. The LT will then allow the DE almost free reign to get as far upfield as he wants. This leaves - consistently - a gaping hole on that side with no lineman and no LB. Lamar simply has to read the DE to see which side of the OT he is committing to and cut to the other side and then scramble up.

Until we address these types of plays schematically first, the personnel isn't going to matter all that much. This goes beyond simply assigning a spy and more in recognizing what they are doing and coming up with schemes to stop it. Maybe it's some combination of Man and Zone? Maybe when we see these types of alignments we bring a Safety up to fill and cover? If the DE commits to the outside of the OT, then the Safety keeps his eyes on Lamar inside. Kind of a floating spy as this responsibility could change from player to player based on where they design the hole to get created.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/08/21 08:29 PM
Let's first concentrate on stopping Chad Henne's scrambling.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/08/21 09:06 PM
You make some great points. That's the thing about Lamar. Realistically you can't actually expect to stop him. The major objective is to limit him.
Posted By: eotab Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/09/21 12:08 PM

just curious how does his speed compare to Parsons?
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/09/21 12:26 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
They run lots of motion to pull LBers out of position to vacate the area he is designed to run. e.g. they will motion the RB from left to right, or at the snap they will drag their slot from left to right, to take the LB with them. The LT will then allow the DE almost free reign to get as far upfield as he wants. This leaves - consistently - a gaping hole on that side with no lineman and no LB. Lamar simply has to read the DE to see which side of the OT he is committing to and cut to the other side and then scramble up.

Until we address these types of plays schematically first, the personnel isn't going to matter all that much. This goes beyond simply assigning a spy and more in recognizing what they are doing and coming up with schemes to stop it. Maybe it's some combination of Man and Zone? Maybe when we see these types of alignments we bring a Safety up to fill and cover? If the DE commits to the outside of the OT, then the Safety keeps his eyes on Lamar inside. Kind of a floating spy as this responsibility could change from player to player based on where they design the hole to get created.

I've been trying to put together that exact post for some time now. So...Thank you.

I keep reading that we need a "guy" to stop LJ. Well...no guy is going to stop him if our scheme isn't right or implemented correctly. Our front seven has to stay disciplined and keep him in the pocket and take away his security blanket.

There is no doubt that an athletic LB/S would help in the effort...I just think it's a mistake to draft a "guy" with his value being his ability to "stop" LJ. DEs that hold the edge and DTs who don't just lay back their ears and head to the pocket will be more effective than any one drafted player will/can be. JMO
Posted By: eotab Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/09/21 12:32 PM
Also a key factor is to hit him hard and hit him often...
Posted By: bonefish Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/09/21 01:07 PM

He did not run a 40 at his pro day.

He had tightness.

His expected speed is 4.4.

I just watch his tape and speed he has. That is clear with how fast he closes on plays.

Also in coverage. I don't see him getting beat with speed.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/09/21 01:21 PM
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

I've been trying to put together that exact post for some time now. So...Thank you.

I keep reading that we need a "guy" to stop LJ. Well...no guy is going to stop him if our scheme isn't right or implemented correctly. Our front seven has to stay disciplined and keep him in the pocket and take away his security blanket.

There is no doubt that an athletic LB/S would help in the effort...I just think it's a mistake to draft a "guy" with his value being his ability to "stop" LJ. DEs that hold the edge and DTs who don't just lay back their ears and head to the pocket will be more effective than any one drafted player will/can be. JMO

Getting one single player in the hopes that will be what stops Lamar is silly. Harbaugh will just scheme that person away.

Beating the Ravens begins with Joe Woods and Kevin Stefanski watching a TON of film this past winter, all of this spring, and through the summer to look at EXACTLY how they are beating teams with scheme to make the most of Lamar's athleticism, and then they need to figure out how to counter it over the course of an entire game. And they also need to look at our counters and look at possible adjustments they would make to answer what we do and we have to have an answer for that - for every call.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/11/21 06:05 PM

After warching Building the Browns I am beginning to be more open to the first two picks.

I had begun to believe we would take a corner. We still may.

However, we are in a very fluid position. There still could be some significant deals that may go down.

Trades take two to tango. There may be some offers and discussions that no one is yet aware of.

Odell? Njoku? Clowney must first pass a physical. He may not yet be cleared because of his knee surgery. He has to pass a physical. Maybe he can not pass till the injury is totally healed.

Free agency is still in play. Maybe we sign Houston or Ingram at DE.

I do not believe that draft questions can be answered. Because things may still change.

Receiver? We could draft one higher than thought. Especially if we see great value.

DE? Let's say we love Jaelan Phillips. And he is not there.
Would we still "reach" for DE if the guy we love is gone.

What if JOK and Jamin are there at 26?

What if Farley is there and both Jamin and JOK?

Maybe they love Newsome?

Last year we were taking an offensive tackle.

This year I do believe we could go in any number of ways.
Posted By: Rottweiller Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/12/21 10:10 AM
J/C. It seems as if Clowney is gonna happen today, so I think we clearly have a lot of flexibility to let the draft come to us. We have the luxury to sit back and wait to see who falls into an area where we can trade to go get them or sit and wait and pick the best dude on our board. I think edge was clearly an area that we would have targeted at 26. I think corner is a higher priority now and I personally think they like Newsome from Northwestern. As has been talked about above JOK from ND could be a Swiss Army knife that gives us a ton of flexibility on D could also be a target . As a fan of ND I can say the dude can do everything, I think the Lamar thing does come into play. We have A Lot of RPO entering in the NFL and JOK defends this very well. Getting Delpit back and having Johnson should help our Ravens defense package immediately. I have a weird feeling about receiver, I don’t think OBJ is long for us due to age, salary and injury history so in a deep receiver class a stud could fall in an area where we can go get him. It is good to be a Browns fan right now, Long Time Coming!
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/12/21 10:54 AM
Flexibility is a good thing. Something we really haven't had heading in to the last few decades of drafts.

Just take the best player on the board without a lot of concern about what position they play and huge expectations they can step in day one to fill a hole. Being able to draft for the future feels pretty good.

Go Browns
Posted By: OrangeCrush Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/12/21 12:07 PM
Watching the new "Building the Browns," I found it interesting that they talked specifically about comparing LBs from Ohio State and Kentucky, and showed footage from Jamin's pro day.

I'm thinking Browning and Davis are targets for us in the 2nd round, especially if we want to trade-up.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/12/21 05:27 PM

CBS sports had a guy mock a receiver Elijah Moore to us at 26.

IMO that will not happen.

First of all we have Odell. Who is way more valuable to us than anyone else.

Then we have Jarvis, Higgins, Hodge and DPJ.

In addition good receivers can be had later in the draft.

Good corners are more valuable and harder to get. In this draft we have a good chance to get an excellent corner at 26.

Also Sheldon and Malik Jackson are short term. We could use a player there to develop. If Barmore is there. He would be a good value.

We also could use a young fast coverage linebacker.
Koramoah or Jamin Davis would be great value at 26.

I see no reason to take a receiver early.

Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/12/21 06:32 PM

CBS sports had a guy mock a receiver Elijah Moore to us at 26.

IMO that will not happen.

First of all we have Odell. Who is way more valuable to us than anyone else.

Then we have Jarvis, Higgins, Hodge and DPJ.

In addition good receivers can be had later in the draft.

Good corners are more valuable and harder to get. In this draft we have a good chance to get an excellent corner at 26.

Also Sheldon and Malik Jackson are short term. We could use a player there to develop. If Barmore is there. He would be a good value.

We also could use a young fast coverage linebacker.
Koramoah or Jamin Davis would be great value at 26.

I see no reason to take a receiver early.

As it stands today, probably not. For next year it makes sense. I doubt both Jarvis and OBJ are on the team next year, and both are old enough you start to think about their replacement.

It's a new deal here Bone. We are in the position where we don't need our first couple of picks to make immediate impact.

I have a feeling both Bitonio and Treeter are gone when their contracts are up. I don't know that it is next year, but getting replacements in place could start this year.

We have to get out of the mind set that our draft picks need to step in and be starters. They don't, and probably won't.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/12/21 07:40 PM
Anyone that has the Browns selecting a player on offense is out of their mind or has not watched the team. Expect 4 of the five choices in the first three rounds to be on defense.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/12/21 07:52 PM

First round player you expect to start.

Second round rotation player maybe a starter.

After that they should be depth and development.

Free agency can address a need. Can also be a short term fix.

The draft is where you develop players.

So after the first round we can draft anywhere. Nick Harris maybe a decent center.

We are in a great position to draft the best value regardless of position.

Overall as a entire organization from top to bottom we in as good a position as any team in football.

That is something I never would have thought I could say.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/12/21 10:21 PM
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
Anyone that has the Browns selecting a player on offense is out of their mind or has not watched the team. Expect 4 of the five choices in the first three rounds to be on defense.

Could be, but I watch more than you think. I have season tickets, I even go to games.

I think you have something balled up. I don't believe we have 5 choices in the first 3 rounds.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/13/21 01:18 AM
Can I go with 4 of 5 in 4 rounds....

lol... good catch.
Posted By: OrangeCrush Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/13/21 01:19 AM
I would not be surprised or unhappy if we drafted a WR and OL in the first 4 rounds.
Posted By: Jester Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/13/21 02:00 AM
Can I go with 4 of 5 in 4 rounds....

lol... good catch.

No, but you can go 4 of 6 in 4 rounds tongue
Posted By: eotab Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/13/21 12:24 PM

We have set ourselves up that we can choose via BPA. In the case of a Waddle dropping down for some reason we would jump at that. Never say never...lol laugh
Posted By: RedBaron Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/13/21 08:53 PM
Definitely at least 2 of 4 in the first 3 rounds (baring a trade up or down).
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/13/21 09:20 PM
Originally Posted By: RedBaron
Definitely at least 2 of 4 in the first 3 rounds (baring a trade up or down).

All 4 players in the first 3 rounds might be defensive players.

It's just not ignorant to think we could look O with some of those picks.

Chances are good we won't select 4 players in the first 3 rounds. I am thinking 3. We are going to trade 1 or both of those 3rd rounders, either to move up or to move down.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Why I want Jamin Davis - 04/25/21 10:23 PM
If someone could chose one choice

Between Jamin Davis, and Jeremiah Owusu Koromoah.
© DawgTalkers.net