DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: MrDNA Who would you build a franchise around? - 01/04/09 09:05 PM
Watching the playoffs got me thinking about what player of any in the NFL I would want to build a team around if I had my pick. Now this is any current player, so age/years in league is a consideration.

I think QB would be where I want to spend this pick and I'd have picked Brady or Peyton, but I don't think my fledging franchise would get too many years out of them. Other than those guys, I don't see any "can't miss" QBs: guys like Cutler and Ryan have had one good year, but that could be a fluke.

On O, the only other position I would consider is RB, but I think you can get an above average to very good RB later on in the amateur draft, so no need to spend my pick there, especially since every RB is running on borrowed time. A note on the o-line: I think it's incredibly important, but one player an o-line does not make.

So I looked to defense: to make a long story (somewhat) shorter I wanted a playmaker who can change the game while also being a leader of the team on and off the field. Add in the youth factor and I came up with one name: Troy Polamalu. I know, I know, he's a Steeler! What can I do?

Ta-da? So who would you pick, and why?
On offense: Adrian Peterson. I actually don't like Peterson that much, but if you put an average QB, an average O-line and average WR corps around him, he's going to get you tons of yards. Injuries are a problem, but he is someone who can control the pace and time of the game.

On Defense: Patrick Willis. This man is a beast. He can run, cover in the pass, rush the passer, and hit like a freight train. He's a very, very good player that I wish we could have on the Browns. This is someone you could put in the middle of a defense and watch him dominate for many, many years to come.
Posted By: Ammo Re: Who would you build a franchise around? - 01/04/09 10:25 PM
Matt Ryan.
I don't think there is any single player that you truly build a franchise around unless you are an Expansion team (or the Browns) still trying to determine what your identity as a team is going to be, because once you have that concept, you build around IT, not the people. For the Expansion team (or the Browns), you build around your #1 pick, but really only in concept because he is the first player chosen for your new vision of your identity.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Who would you build a franchise around? - 01/04/09 10:51 PM
I was going to say I don't think you build around players....you build around a coach if you want long term success.
Posted By: MrDNA Re: Who would you build a franchise around? - 01/04/09 11:51 PM
Quote:

I was going to say I don't think you build around players....you build around a coach if you want long term success.

Well let's say that the coach we're building around is... oh... you, Peen

Everybody in the NFL became a Free Agent! Who's the first guy you go sign?
Quote:

Everybody in the NFL became a Free Agent! Who's the first guy you go sign?

RYan Pontbriand !! Best long snapper in the NFL!!

KING
ken dorsey
Quote:

ken dorsey

Lol.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Who would you build a franchise around? - 01/05/09 01:41 AM
Quote:

In that case .....you have to have a trigger man....Matt Ryan....he is a good qb with a long, bright future...Jay Cutler wouldn't be bad either.
Posted By: Haus Re: Who would you build a franchise around? - 01/05/09 03:30 AM
Philip Rivers.. just turned 27, coming off a season with a 105+ rating, great leader, carried his team to the playoffs down the stretch when LT wasn't running hard... gotta go with him.
Can I pick them as rookies? lol

I'll take Peyton Manning and Ed Reed.
Yea, all things being equal, Ed Reed would have tied for second on our team in touchdowns.. not sure what that says about Ed Reed, but I know what it says about our offense.
Just to be different:

Offense: Brett Favre
Defense: Ray Lewis
The NFL doesn't have a Seniors Tour.
Posted By: PDR Re: Who would you build a franchise around? - 01/05/09 03:53 PM
Patrick Willis.
If I'm building around a player, that player has to be my coach on the field....they also will need great athletic ability......with that, I draft,

Offense - Drew Brees - with a mediocre supporting cast, he still can put up crazy numbers

Defense - Patrick Willis - Freakish athletic ability as a LB...faster than most safties
Quote:

The NFL doesn't have a Seniors Tour.

If they were in their prime....

If you want right now.. I'd go:

Offense: Matt Ryan
Defense: Mario Williams
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Who would you build a franchise around? - 01/05/09 04:19 PM
Offense: Michael Turner
Defense: Asante Samuel
He specifically said that you have to take their current age into account.. sheesh man, play by the rules.

and I'd take Joe Thomas and Mario Williams.
Quote:

He specifically said that you have to take their current age into account.. sheesh man, play by the rules.

Thats what happens when you don't read the entire post...
Quote:

Quote:

Thats what happens when you don't read the entire post...

No doubt... . .....if that is the case.....then I go

Offense - Peyton Manning
Defense - Ray Lewis
© DawgTalkers.net