DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Cleveland Indians Offseason - 10/30/18 02:58 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/02/18 08:37 PM
Indians pass on QOs for Brantley, Miller, Allen
Club will not receive Draft pick compensation if trio signs elsewhere

CLEVELAND -- With a long list of questions to answer this offseason, combined with limited financial resources, the Indians opted against extending any qualifying offers to their free agents prior to Friday's deadline.

All-Star left fielder Michael Brantley, relief ace Andrew Miller and closer Cody Allen were the most likely candidates for the one-year, $17.9 million offer, which was due by 5 p.m. ET on Friday in order to potentially secure Draft pick compensation if the players signed elsewhere. In the end, the Indians made it clear that the offer was too steep a price to risk locking in so early in this important offseason for the ballclub.

"That was a big part of it," Indians' president of baseball operations Chris Antonetti said in a conference call Friday afternoon. "Ultimately, the first week of the offseason, as we looked at our path ahead, it wasn't the best decision to potentially allocate [$17.9] million dollars right now."

Brantley, Miller and Allen are among Cleveland's 12 free agents, along with Brandon Barnes, Melky Cabrera, Lonnie Chisenhall, Rajai Davis, Josh Donaldson, Brandon Guyer, Oliver Perez, Adam Rosales and Josh Tomlin. Donaldson was ineligible for a qualifying offer due to being traded to Cleveland by Toronto during this past season.

Given the uncertainty that hovers over all three outfield positions for the Indians, it seemed possible that Brantley -- who has been with the Tribe for parts of 10 seasons -- might receive the one-year proposal. One issue is that the Indians are still sorting out where Jason Kipnis (due to earn $14.7 million in 2019) will fit on the roster. Barring a trade, Kipnis' future in Cleveland might involve playing left field.

The Indians are considering giving Yandy Diaz an opportunity at third base -- a move that would keep Jose Ramirez at second base. Kipnis moved to center field from second down the stretch last season, but he may need to shift to left if Leonys Martin (signed to a one-year contract on Wednesday) is healthy and ready to patrol center for '19.

Position alignment aside, if Brantley were to have accepted the $17.9 million offer, that would result in $32.6 million of the Indians' payroll being committed to him and Kipnis. That is a hefty sum for a Cleveland club that could have more than $30 million added in '19 through arbitration raises and raises built into guaranteed contracts. Even with a dozen free agents, the increasing internal salaries restrict the Indians' flexibility.

Antonetti emphasized that the Indians still have interest in re-signing Brantley, who hit .309 with 17 home runs, 36 doubles, 76 RBIs, 89 runs and an .832 OPS in 143 games this past season.

"I talked to Michael this morning and reiterated that. The interest is undoubtable," Antonetti said. "We could not have any more respect for any individual than we have for Michael. He's the guy that epitomizes, as I've shared before, all of the things we look for in a player. He's exceedingly productive on the field, he defines professionalism in the clubhouse and he's an extraordinary teammate. The interest and desire is there.

"What we will have to work through is, can we make the pieces fit? How, with the balance of our roster and all the other decisions we have to make? And Michael will have to assess how we fit within what his market might be."

Friday's decision not to extend a qualifying offer to any free agents does nothing to change the fact that the Indians need to search for outfield help and bullpen reinforcements throughout this offseason. That approach does, however, give the Tribe's decision-makers more time to weigh alternatives, explore trades and continue dialogue on different types of contracts with its free agents.

"We will be creative in looking at ways to improve our team," Antonetti said. "Certainly, one of the avenues we could pursue is to trade from an area of depth to address another area of our team."

Barnes elects free agency

The Indians outrighted Barnes off the 40-man roster Friday, but the outfielder elected free agency rather than accepting a Minor League assignment. Barnes, 32, appeared in 19 games for Cleveland down the stretch last season, but spent the majority of the year with Triple-A Columbus. He had been eligible for arbitration prior to becoming a free agent.

In a series of other paperwork moves Friday, the Indians activated right-handers Cody Anderson, Nick Goody, James Hoyt and Danny Salazar, as well as outfielders Tyler Naquin and Martin from the 60-day disabled list. Cleveland's 40-man roster now consists of 34 players.

https://www.mlb.com/indians/news/indians-decline-to-extend-qualifying-offers/c-300161636
Posted By: Dave Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/02/18 09:01 PM
Really hope this isn't accurate ...

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/02/18 09:05 PM
If they could get something for Kip, I'd have no problem with it.

They'll need to figure out a way to get Yandy in the lineup next year. Trade Kip, Ramirez to second and Yandy to third.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/02/18 09:07 PM
Indians will listen to trade offers on veteran players

2:48 PM ET
Buster Olney
ESPN Senior Writer

The Cleveland Indians will listen to trade offers for some of their veteran players this winter as they face the sort of difficult choices that small-market teams must address, according to sources.

The Indians will hold on to shortstop Francisco Lindor and MVP candidate Jose Ramirez next season, but they have indicated to the industry that they are prepared to discuss other accomplished players, including 2017 Cy Young Award winner Corey Kluber, pitcher Carlos Carrasco, catchers Yan Gomes and Roberto Perez, slugger Edwin Encarnacion and second baseman Jason Kipnis, among others.

The Indians did not tender qualifying offers to free agents Michael Brantley, Andrew Miller and Cody Allen because of their payroll concerns. The Indians ranked among the top half of teams in payroll last season and ran away with the AL Central, but their attendance dipped again and was among the worst in MLB. With Lindor, Ramirez and others due for raises, the Indians will be willing to move some salary in the right deals.

Kipnis is due to make $14.7 million next season, and Encarnacion is on the books for $21.67 million.

Kluber will make $17 million in 2019, and the Indians hold a club option on his deal for 2020 and 2021. Carrasco will make $7.1 million in 2019, and Cleveland has club options for 2020 and 2021 on his contract, as well.

With free agents like Nathan Eovaldi and Patrick Corbin expected to command pricey multiyear deals, Kluber and Carrasco could be attractive alternatives in the market because of their past success and because their contracts bear little risk.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25157907/cleveland-indians-listen-trade-offers-veteran-players

Posted By: Dave Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/02/18 09:12 PM
Yeah, I'm okay with trading Kipnis, but not starting pitching. If we absolutely must shed payroll besides Kipnis, I'd rather start with Alonso or even Encarnacion. Never, never, never trade starting pitching.
Posted By: Dave Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/02/18 09:17 PM
I hope the Indians' definition of "blown away" doesn't mean some team's top prospect.
Posted By: Jcamm Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/02/18 10:21 PM
Allen is junk, Miller is shot and Brantley will cost too much
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/03/18 12:28 PM
Indians' payroll/attendance ranking
2012 $68.9m/29th
2013 $89M/28th
2014 $84m/29th
2015 $87m/29th
2016 $118m/28th
2017 $151m/22nd
2018 $150m/21st
In short: Increased spending dramatically; won a lot of games and reached postseason/WS; didn't get much of a bump in attendance.

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/1058694086595657734
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/03/18 04:21 PM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
Indians' payroll/attendance ranking
2012 $68.9m/29th
2013 $89M/28th
2014 $84m/29th
2015 $87m/29th
2016 $118m/28th
2017 $151m/22nd
2018 $150m/21st
In short: Increased spending dramatically; won a lot of games and reached postseason/WS; didn't get much of a bump in attendance.

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/1058694086595657734

It didn't help that MLB scheduled 17 home games for the Indians in April, including a mid-week series against the Cubs.

Also, of course the Indians will always have a statistically lower attendance ranking, they play in the second smallest stadium in MLB.

They would've reached the 2+ million fans in attendance for the second consecutive season had it not been for the April schedule and more specifically the very cold April we had.

I sat through two games in the mid to high 30s. Nobody wants to go to those games when there are still 70+ other games still on the schedule.
Posted By: Dave Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/03/18 05:01 PM
Playing the Twins, Royals, White Sox, and Tigers 19 times each (38 home games) probably doesn't help attendance either. A better mix of games against AL teams would help. I think fans would like to see more of the Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays, etc. Sometimes you get in one of these schedule ruts where it feels like you are seeing the Twins and Royals for a month straight.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/03/18 05:22 PM
Agree 100% Dave. The AL Central was horrible and no real star power on those team to attract fans.

At one point during the season, I felt like I was going up to watch them play the Twins every few days.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/03/18 11:35 PM
Progressive Field has 35,041 seats. Our average attendance is just over 2/3 of capacity. Fenway isn't terribly bigger than Progressive, yet they draw much higher numbers.

We were 21st in attendance in all of MLB at 24,083 per game. 14 of the 20 teams ahead of us had worse records than we did.

I suppose that part of the problem is that we are in a horrible division, and that division games really have no great importance, which suppress attendance for those games. We also have an exceptional broadcaster in Sportstime Ohio, so people can stay home and watch from their coaches.
Posted By: FATE Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/04/18 03:09 AM

Jacob's Field had over 42,000 seats and sold out 455 games in a row... because fans thought we were on the brink of a championship. There was no way we would be denied. With that lineup? With that pitching? Then piece by piece, it all came apart. Then they teased again and broke our hearts again... and again, and again.

Claiming your place as an Indians fan is like explaining why you are still with your cheating girlfriend. She's nice, she's pretty, but she treats you like dirt. Every time you catch her she tells you she won't do it again... and you tell yourself "this time will be different". It never is. Eventually you are tired of being a fool and tired of being taken advantage of, you finally tell yourself "I'm done."

The Indians of the 90's were a beautiful bride, the Indians today are a one-night stand.
Posted By: gage Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/05/18 10:29 PM
What would the Browns be with colorful words like that? laugh
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/06/18 01:11 AM
Might we sell a few more Tribe tickets with a Gold Glover or two playing. Playoffs were brutal.
Posted By: Dave Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/06/18 01:19 AM
Speaking of Gold Gloves, 4 Indians were nominated for one; P Kluber, SS Lindor, 3B Ramirez, and C Gomes. None of them won, but the nomination is worth noting, at least.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/06/18 05:55 PM
j/c...
Oh boy...

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/06/18 05:58 PM
Jon Heyman Verified account
@JonHeyman
Indians want to pare 145M payroll (high for them). Kluber as very late bloomer signed reasonable contract, but high $4M Cy Young escalators raise what started as $13.5M average salary over next/last 3 years (last 2 years are team options)

Tweet
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/06/18 06:09 PM
if we can rebuild the farm, I'd trade Kluber, keep carrasco as your #1
Posted By: Jester Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/15/18 11:48 AM
https://sports.yahoo.com/indians-send-inf-gonzalez-pirates-5-player-swap-212519550--mlb.html

Indians trade INF Gonzalez to Pirates in 5-player swap

The Associated Press
TOM WITHERS (AP Sports Writer)
The Associated PressNov 14, 2018, 5:37 PM

CLEVELAND (AP) -- The Indians traded one of their extra pieces. They're keeping their bigger ones - for now.

Cleveland began what could be a busy offseason on Wednesday by dealing versatile infielder Erik Gonzalez to the Pittsburgh Pirates as part of a five-player swap.

The AL Central champions sent the 27-year-old Gonzalez, who appeared in 81 games for the Indians last season, along with minor league right-handers Tahnaj Thomas and Dante Mendoza to the Pirates for outfielder Jordan Luplow and infielder Max Moroff.

Gonzalez batted .265 with one homer and 16 RBIs last season for Cleveland, which signed the Dominican native in 2009. And while he filled a valuable utility role, he was not going to crack the starting lineup behind All-Stars Francisco Lindor and Jose Ramirez.

''That was a tough thing for us,'' Indians president of baseball operations Chris Antonetti said. ''We've had multiple conversations with Erik about it. He's done so many things to impact the organization in his time with us, from the time he signed. He's played every position on the field I think other than catcher at one point or another. But, as our roster has taken shape over the course of the past few seasons, we have not had an opportunity for him to play regularly.

''So, we feel this will give Erik an opportunity to play more with Pittsburgh and continue his career and potentially blossom into the everyday player we think he can be.''

The negligible move gives the Indians needed depth in the outfield, and it could be the first of many deals this winter.

Cleveland has not dismissed speculation it may be willing to trade prominent players, including ace Corey Kluber and right-hander Carlos Carrasco. Antonetti said it's difficult to measure whether the team has seen an increase in teams wanting to do business with the Indians.

''I think what I would reiterate is that I think the conversations have reaffirmed for us that we have a lot of players on our roster and throughout our organization that are of interest to other teams,'' he said. ''And I think what that allows us to do is have a lot of dialogue with other teams about potential opportunities for us to move forward as an organization and get better.''

The 25-year-old Luplow is one of those opportunities. Cleveland's outfield was decimated by injuries last season, and the team is not expected to re-sign Michael Brantley as a free agent.

Luplow appeared in 64 games over the past two seasons with the Pirates, who named him their top minor league player in 2017.

''He's capable of playing all three outfield spots,'' Antonetti said. ''He's spent most of the time in left and right, but we also believe he has the ability to play center field. He complements our roster really well as a right-handed-hitting outfielder that we think is capable of helping us at the major league level.''

Moroff has split the last three seasons between Triple-A Indianapolis and Pittsburgh, appearing in 26 games for the Pirates in 2018.

Antonetti dealing young players - especially pitchers - like Thomas and Mendoza is difficult, but sometimes necessary.

''Two young pitchers out in Arizona that we like, that have some upside,'' he said. ''Obviously, they're a little ways away from the major Leagues, being both 19 years old. So, guys that definitely have some potential to continue to grow and develop and develop into major league pitchers. But, for us to acquire Max and Jordan, we thought it was a worthwhile deal for us to make, because they're two guys that can help our Major League team here in the near future.''
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/19/18 03:39 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/19/18 04:06 PM
Posted By: bonefish Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/20/18 07:48 PM

Baseball is always worth watching live.

Maybe it just me. I love the game.

I have watched the Ken Burns "BASEBALL" numerous times.

I live in a Minor league town Reno and still go to games.

The Tribe has been a good team for years. They have stars. Lindor and Ramirez are great players to watch.

I don't get it. The Browns have been so bad. The Cav's are toast without LeBron.

If I was living in Cleveland I would go to a bunch of games.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/20/18 10:00 PM
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Baseball is always worth watching live.

Maybe it just me. I love the game.

I have watched the Ken Burns "BASEBALL" numerous times.

I live in a Minor league town Reno and still go to games.

The Tribe has been a good team for years. They have stars. Lindor and Ramirez are great players to watch.

I don't get it. The Browns have been so bad. The Cav's are toast without LeBron.

If I was living in Cleveland I would go to a bunch of games.

I love going to Baseball games. Man, I miss being able to head up to Cleveland, especially now that tickets are so easy to come by. Unfortunately, by back just won't cooperate.
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/21/18 12:06 AM

I think we should transition him to the field, and put him on first base.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/27/18 01:44 AM
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/27/18 08:10 AM
Pittsburgh Pirates sign Cleveland Indians free agent Lonnie Chisenhall to 1-year deal | cleveland.com
https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2018/11/...art_river_index

CLEVELAND, Ohio – On Monday two of the Indians 12 free agents agreed to terms with other teams.

First, Josh Donaldson signed a one-year $23 million deal with Atlanta. Then Lonnie Chisenhall reportedly signed a one-year $2.75 million deal with the Pirates.

Ken Rosenthal of the Athletic was the first to report the Chisenhall deal.

Chisenhall, the Indians No.1 pick in 2008, played just 29 games last season because of injuries to both calves. He played just 82 games in 2017, missing most of the second half of the season, with a strained right calf.

When he was healthy this year, Chisenhall hit the ball well. He batted .321 (27-for-84) with one homer and nine RBI. In 2017 he was leading the Indians in RBI at the All-Star break, but injured his calf right before the break and was never a factor after that.

Chisenhall’s contract contains $3 million in incentives based on plate appearances from 250 to 600. Durability, however, has been a problem for Chisenhall. Last season Chisenhall went on the DL with a strained left calf on July 3 and did not play again. He did not join the team for the postseason as well.

For the last six years manager Terry Francona used him mostly as a platoon player against right-handed hitters. Since playing 142 games in 2014, Chisenhall has never played more than 126 games in a season.

The Indians drafted Chisenhall, 30, as a third baseman. That’s where he played from 2011 until he was optioned to Class AAA Columbus in 2015. When he returned after the All-Star break, Chisenhall moved to right field and has played there ever since.

The Indians still have 10 free agents on the market -- Andrew Miller, Cody Allen, Michael Brantley, Josh Tomlin, Brandon Guyer, Rajai Davis, Oliver Perez, Adam Rosales, Melky Cabrera and Brandon Barnes.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/27/18 08:38 AM
good luck Lonnie
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/27/18 12:31 PM
Hate to see homegrown talent depart but man he had struggles to stay on the field!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/27/18 12:56 PM
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
Hate to see homegrown talent depart but man he had struggles to stay on the field!
yeah, he was gonna be gone IMO
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/27/18 10:55 PM
We need some folks able to dress and play regularly. I thank him for the thrills. Good player.

Best of luck!
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/29/18 04:07 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/29/18 08:41 PM
Tribe, Dodgers discussing possible Kluber deal

By Jon Paul Morosi MLB.com @jonmorosi
11:28 AM EST

Discussions continue between the Dodgers and Indians about a blockbuster trade that could result in a two-time Cy Young Award winner joining Clayton Kershaw in the Los Angeles rotation.

Sources say the Dodgers and Indians have discussed various trade proposals in recent days. One such possibility involves Cleveland ace Corey Kluber going to Los Angeles in a deal that includes Yasiel Puig.

The Dodgers would need to add at least one significant player in addition to Puig in order for the Indians to seriously consider moving Kluber, one source said Wednesday. MLB Network insider Ken Rosenthal was first to report the talks between the Dodgers and Indians.

In addition to Puig, the Dodgers have catching-prospect depth and would likely be willing to move left-hander Alex Wood and right-handed prospect Yadier Alvarez, who was just recently added to Los Angeles' 40-man roster.

• Latest MLB free agent and trade rumors

The availability of Kluber and fellow right-handers Carlos Carrasco and Trevor Bauer reflects realities of Cleveland's market size and current roster. A trade involving one starter would allow Indians officials to add young talent to an experienced core while freeing up payroll space to pursue necessary outfield and bullpen upgrades.

For now, sources say the Indians are maintaining high price tags on Kluber, Carrasco, and Bauer, and are not yet close to making a major trade. Including team options, Bauer and Carrasco are under club control through 2020, and Kluber through '21.

The Brewers and Braves are two more potential trade partners for the Indians if they move a starter. While the Braves and Indians are not currently in active talks, one source said, Atlanta has pitching prospects (including right-hander Kyle Wright) that appeal to Cleveland. The Brewers possess both young pitching depth and outfielders (Corey Ray and Keon Broxton) who fit the Indians' needs.

Kluber has finished among the top 10 in American League Cy Young Award balloting in each of the last five seasons -- including four times in the top three. He's one of only two Major League pitchers to throw 1,000 regular-season innings since 2014. Max Scherzer is the other.

Kluber, who turns 33 in April, avoided the disabled list in 2018, but he required a pain-relieving injection in his right knee at the All-Star break in order to make it through the second half. Kluber started two games on short rest in the 2016 World Series; he is winless with a 10.64 ERA in three playoff starts since then.

Jon Paul Morosi is a reporter for MLB.com.

https://www.mlb.com/news/indians-dodgers-talking-corey-kluber-trade/c-301243132?tid=282421090
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/29/18 08:53 PM
For Puig?? Seriously? The Dodgers were just trying to unload Puig a season or two ago. They would have to add a lot more than that.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/29/18 09:33 PM
Its gotta end sometime but I think the window is still open for this club. When this goes south it's REALLY gonna go south.
Attendance will be terrible...
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/29/18 09:42 PM
Its gotta end sometime but I think the window is still open for this club. When this goes south it's REALLY gonna go south.
Attendance will be terrible...

As long as they have a couple of Kluber, Carrasco, and Bauer along with Lindor and Ramirez, they'll be good. It doesn't hurt that the rest of the division is horribly stinky.
Posted By: Dave Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/29/18 10:04 PM
I'm starting to the think that the "window" we all assumed would be open until 2020 or 2021 is an illusion. Our "window" may very well have been 2016, period. We have all been pretty happy to maintain the status quo of a great pitching staff, a couple blue-chip position players (Lindor, Ramirez), a solid supporting cast in the rest of the lineup - and we thought we could compete for the WS every year. In the mean time, Houston, Boston, and NY get better and better every year, with NY and Houston basically blowing our doors off in the first round of the playoffs the last two years. Like it or not, it looks to me like we are second tier and trending downward. Depressing.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/30/18 10:32 PM

Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/30/18 11:27 PM
So we're trading Gomes to Washington and getting not much in return? Are we in that bad of a payroll situation??
Posted By: Jester Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 11/30/18 11:31 PM
Let's wait and see what the return is before criticizing.
Maybe we are getting a nice bullpen arm in the deal.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/01/18 12:05 AM

Posted By: Jester Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/01/18 12:08 AM
Interesting trade on their part.

"The Nationals just signed veteran catcher Kurt Suzuki"

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2018/11/...art_river_index
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/01/18 12:11 AM
sorry that tweet was bogus
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/01/18 12:13 AM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/01/18 12:51 AM
CLEVELAND, Ohio – The reworking of the Indians’ salary structure has begun.

The Indians traded catcher Yan Gomes to the Washington Nationals on Friday night. The Indians will receive minor outfielder Daniel Johnson, right-hander Jefry Rodriguez and a player to be named.

Gomes will make $7 million in 2019. He has club options for 2020 and 2021.

With Gomes gone, it’s expected the Indians will trade starting pitchers Corey Kluber or Trevor Bauer sometime this winter. They are reportedly in negotiations with Carlos Carrasco to extend his contract beyond his 2020 club option. If they do that, Carrasco will stay.

The Indians have yet to announce the trade, but it’s been widely reportedly.

The Tribe played last season with a franchise record $135 million payroll. They watched 12 of their players dive into the free agent market, but said they received no salary relief because of arbitration costs and raises due players with multiyear deals.

That left them with little choice, but to trade away key pieces to a team that has won three straight AL Central titles. Gomes was the first big piece. Kluber or Bauer are expected to be the next.

The trade of Gomes leaves Roberto Perez and rookie Eric Haase as the Tribe’s top two catchers. The Indians, however, could add another catcher if they trade Kluber or Bauer.

MLB.com ranked Johnson as Washington’s seventh best prospect. Johnson, 23, is a left-handed hitter who has played center and right field. Last season Washington’s fifth round pick in 2014 hit .267 (95-for-356) with six homers and 31 RBI at Class AA Harrisburg.

Rodriguez appeared in 14 games for the Nationals last season. He went 3-3 with a 5.71 ERA.

Kluber will make $17 million in 2019. He’s club options for 2020 and 2021. Bauer is projected to make $11.6 million in arbitration this winter. Kluber won 20 games for the first time in his career last season.

Bauer ranked second in the AL with a 2.21 ERA and struck out 221 batters in only 175 1/3 innings.

The Indians must decide by 8 p.m. Friday if they are going to offer contracts to their players who are eligible for arbitration – Bauer, Francisco Lindor, Nick Goody and Danny Salazar. Neil Ramirez came off that list Friday when he signed a one-year, $1 million deal. They were close to coming to terms with Goody on a similar deal. They were also trying to negotiate a deal with Salazar, who made $5 million last season but didn’t appear in a game because of a sore right shoulder that eventually needed surgery.

Ramirez appeared in 47 games last season, going 0-3 with a 4.54 ERA. He struck out 51 and walked 18 in 41 2/3 innings.

Goody missed much of the season after hyper-extending his right elbow. He needed surgery, but reportedly has been doing well on his throwing program.

Gomes is coming off an All-Star season in which he hit .266 with 16 homers and 48 RBI. He’s signed through 2019 with club options for 2020 and 2021. He will make $7 million in 2019.

Perez, who is playing winter ball in the Dominican Republic, is coming off the worst season in his career. Haase made his big league debut in September after hitting .236 (102-for-433) with 20 homers and 71 RBI at Class AAA Columbus.

The Tribe considers catching a position of strength, but without Gomes they could use some help behind the plate. Especially after trading top catching prospect Francisco Mejia to San Diego for relievers Brad Hand and Adam Cimber in July.

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2018/12/...-has-begun.html
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/01/18 01:28 AM
Posted By: Dave Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/01/18 06:28 PM
I don't like the Gomes deal. It appears to be a straight-up salary dump and, IMO, creates a hole at Catcher. Perez is a capable enough defensive catcher, but I don't think he can hit his weight, and Eric Haase is an unknown at the major league level. Now I'm reading that we're about to trade either Kluber or Bauer for outfield/bullpen/catcher help, so, in part, we're trading top end pitching to fill a hole we created by trading Gomes. I get the whole small/mid market blues narrative - the economic realities - but I would like to have seen one or two more runs at the brass ring. Raise ticket prices if you must, but don't just bail when you have this starting staff under control for 2-3 more years.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/01/18 08:10 PM
Looks like they are blowing it up and tearing it down. Sell the team Dolan
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/01/18 10:40 PM
The team needs to be able to handle the arbitration raise that Lindor is about to get, among other increasing costs.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/06/18 07:46 PM
Indians sign elite starter Carlos Carrasco to 4-year deal

CLEVELAND (AP) — The Indians have signed starter Carlos Carrasco to a four-year contract extension through the 2022 season.

Carrasco’s deal includes a club option for 2023. Financial terms were not immediately available.

The right-hander went 17-10 with a 3.38 ERA in 30 starts last season for the AL Central champions. He finished with a career-high 231 strikeouts as the Indians became the first team to have four pitchers reach 200 strikeouts in the same season.

The 31-year-old Carrasco has developed into one of the league’s elite starters, and the Indians wanted to lock him up for the future.

Cleveland is still toying with trading either Corey Kluber or Trevor Bauer to address their outfield needs.

Carrasco is 79-62 with a 3.71 ERA in 207 career games. The Indians acquired him from Philadelphia in the July 2009 blockbuster that involved ace Cliff Lee.

https://apnews.com/de581691925541eb94748972c9fb1cb0
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/06/18 09:11 PM
This is such a good deal for the Indians that it makes me think they are holding his family hostage.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/06/18 10:17 PM
Puig is a hot dog jerk.

I am not a fan of his. Seen him plenty.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/06/18 10:20 PM
Really glad they got this done.

Cookie is a good pitcher and getting better.

Posted By: Dave Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/06/18 10:44 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
This is such a good deal for the Indians that it makes me think they are holding his family hostage.

I just heard a quote on the radio from Carlos. It sounds like he really likes the Indians organization and also really likes the city of Cleveland. The players union is going to be unhappy with him for leaving money on the table, but apparently feeling appreciated and comfortable with his surroundings is very important to him and his family.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/13/18 05:19 PM
j/c:

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/13/18 05:39 PM
Seems like a salary dump.
Posted By: Jester Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/13/18 05:42 PM
Cleveland Indians trade for Carlos Santana from Seattle
Updated 12:33 PM; Posted 12:24 PM

By Paul Hoynes, cleveland.com phoynes@cleveland.com

LAS VEGAS -- The Indians have traded for DH-first baseman Carlos Santana in a three-way deal with Seattle and Tampa Bay.

The Indians sent Edwin Encarnacion to Seattle for Santana. They then traded Yandy Diaz to Tampa Bay for first baseman Jake Bauers and a player to be named.

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2018/12/cleveland_indians_trade_for_ca.html

This is a trade I don't get.
I think Santana has a big salary so we don't get a bunch of payroll relief from swapping Encarnancion for him.

I am bummed that we got rid on Yandy Diaz. I think he is exactly the type of hitter we need, he is young and has a low salary. I don't know who this Bauer guy is. But bringing in a 1st basemen in Bauer and a DH/1B tells me that Yonder Alonso isn't long for this team.

Posted By: ~Con~Artist~ Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/13/18 05:44 PM
The only way that first trade makes sense is if they are paying for some of Santana's salary, otherwise it is a downgrade. notallthere
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/13/18 05:48 PM
Wait... we got Jake Bauers?!?!

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/13/18 05:49 PM

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/13/18 05:52 PM
Originally Posted By: ~Con~Artist~
The only way that first trade makes sense is if they are paying for some of Santana's salary, otherwise it is a downgrade. notallthere

There is a $3 million difference in salary for this year.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/13/18 06:11 PM

I was wrong, it’s even more:

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/13/18 06:22 PM

I was wrong, it’s even more:

The financial system in baseball is broken.
Posted By: Jester Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/13/18 09:56 PM
Cleveland Indians Scribbles: Carlos Santana-Edwin Encarnacion trade saves money, but I don’t like losing Yandy Diaz – Terry Pluto
Updated 4:29 PM; Posted 4:29 PM

Edwin Encarnacion has been traded by the Cleveland Indians, who receive Carlos Santana from the Mariners. They were teammates in 2017 with the Tribe.

By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer tpluto@plaind.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Scribbles in my Indians notebook after the Carlos Santana/Edwin Encarnacion trade:

1. Let’s start with the money, because that is one of things driving the Encarnacion-for-Santana part of the deal. Last winter, Santana signed a 3-year, $60 million contract with the Phillies as he left the Tribe via free agency. But it’s a deal that goes down in value. He received $25 million in the first year, with $35 million left on the contract.

2. So the Indians picked up two years of Santana at $17 million (2019) and $18 million (2020). But as they say on an info-commercial, there’s more. The Indians also receive $6 million in cash from Seattle to help the deal go through.

3. That’s right, this is the second time this winter Santana has been traded. Philadelphia traded him to Seattle last month. Santana batted .229 (.766 OPS) with 24 HR and 86 RBI. Now Seattle has shipped him to the Indians.

4. Encarnacion had $25 million left on his contract: $20 million for 2019 and a $5 million buyout in 2020.

5. So let’s add it up: The Indians get two years of Santana for $29 million, thanks to the cash in the trade. So they actually have Santana for about $4 million more through 2020 compared to one year at $25 million for Encarnacion.

6. The Indians will save about $10 million in payroll in 2019, according to league sources.

7. Encarnacion turns 36 on January 7. He batted .246 (.810 OPS) with 32 home runs and 107 RBI. In his two years with the Tribe, it seems Encarnacion’s numbers looked better than he played. Maybe so, but he still was a legitimate power threat in the lineup. But his bat is starting to slow a bit.

8. Santana struggled early in the season (as usual) in his first season with the Phillies. He batted .229 (.766 OPS) with 24 home runs and 86 RBI. The odd part is Santana and Encarnacion both have a history of being rather dismal in April and May.

9. Manager Terry Francona has always liked Santana. He prefers switch-hitters. Santana is a first baseman, compared to Encarnacion being primarily a DH.

10. I wonder if the Indians have a deal pending for Yonder Alonso, who batted .250 (.731 OPS) with 23 HR and 83 RBI. He played first base in 2018. I suppose he could be the DH in 2019.

11. That brings us to the second part of the deal. The Indians shipped Yandy Diaz and a Player to be Name Later to Tampa Bay for Jake Bauers, a 23-year-old outfielder/first baseman.

12. Bauers entered the 2018 season as the No. 45 prospect in all of baseball, according to Baseball America. In 184 games over two seasons in Class AAA, Bauers batted .268 (.781 OPS) with 18 HR and 87 RBI. He was playing at a high level at a very young age.

13. He joined Tampa early last season, batting .252 (.864 OPS) with 5 HR and 18 RBI in 155 plate appearances before the All-Star break. But in the second half, be fell apart: .167 (.560 OPS) with 6 HR and 30 RBI in 233 plate appearances.

14. Bauers was not the first 22-year-old rookie to have a hard time. So, I wouldn’t dwell on overall stats: .201 (.700 OPS) with 11 HR and 48 RBI.

15. I don’t like giving up Diaz. I was hoping the Indians would open the season with him at third and see if he’d hit as a regular. He’s a career .283 hitter (.729 OPS) in 299 plate appearances with the Tribe in 2017-18. His lack of power (one HR, 28 RBI) is a concern to some with the Indians. I liked him as a contact hitter.

16. Tampa likes Diaz, trading Bauers and sending $5 million to Seattle (who shipped $6 million to the Tribe) to make this deal happen.

17. I believe the Indians see Bauers as a future first baseman, perhaps as soon at 2020 when Santana would be he DH. Perhaps Bauer can help in the outfield. He played 16 games in the outfield for Tampa last season.

18. This trade probably means Jose Ramirez will play third with Jason Kipnis moving back to his original position at second base. If they had kept Diaz, Ramirez would have moved to second and Kipnis probably would have played left field.

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2018/12/...erry-pluto.html
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/15/18 03:23 AM
j/c...

Not surprising to see Yonder traded after Santana and Bauers.....

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/15/18 04:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Not surprising to see Yonder traded after Santana and Bauers.....

Another salary dump.
Posted By: Dave Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/15/18 03:23 PM
In the last few weeks the Indians have traded Yan, Yandy, and Yonder. Could Yipnis be next?
Posted By: FATE Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/15/18 03:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave
In the last few weeks the Indians have traded Yan, Yandy, and Yonder. Could Yipnis be next?

I think the only applicable answer would be: Yes
Posted By: Dave Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/15/18 04:54 PM
Some people ask "Why?". I say "Y not"?
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/21/18 03:14 AM

Posted By: Frenchy Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/22/18 04:51 AM
How many draft picks will get if we dont sign any more FA’s? Should get one for Miller, Brantley, maybe Chisenhall.
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/22/18 06:20 PM
So are the Indians just tanking or wanting to lose? I've watch games now and then but the last time I seriously followed was the 2016 world series. After that I've been away from baseball for a LONG time, just no interest.

Is there any reason to actually go to the ballpark?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/22/18 06:47 PM
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies
So are the Indians just tanking or wanting to lose? I've watch games now and then but the last time I seriously followed was the 2016 world series. After that I've been away from baseball for a LONG time, just no interest.

Is there any reason to actually go to the ballpark?

The Indians division is among the worst in MLB history (the Tigers, Royals, White Sox, and Twins are all rebuilding). They know this and that it would take an act of God for them to lose their division.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/22/18 07:05 PM
Winning a division doesn't bring much excitement. American League Champs then WS champs matter more. I hope the organization doesn't think fans are appeased by a division title again and nothing more...
Posted By: Dave Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/22/18 07:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Frenchy
How many draft picks will get if we dont sign any more FA’s? Should get one for Miller, Brantley, maybe Chisenhall.

I'm not positive, but I believe you have to have made a qualifying offer to try to keep a FA before you can receive compensation if you lose him. I don't think the Indians did that with any of their free agents, so they get stugats, nothing.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/22/18 07:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Frenchy

I'm not positive, but I believe you have to have made a qualifying offer to try to keep a FA before you can receive compensation if you lose him. I don't think the Indians did that with any of their free agents, so they get stugats, nothing.

Bingo.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/22/18 07:10 PM
Winning a division doesn't bring much excitement. American League Champs then WS champs matter more. I hope the organization doesn't think fans are appeased by a division title again and nothing more...

Baseball teams know that getting to the playoffs is the actual battle. Once there it is very random.
Posted By: Dave Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/22/18 07:18 PM

Baseball teams know that getting to the playoffs is the actual battle. Once there it is very random.

Yes, unlike the Indians the last couple years, players can actually get hot and beat teams they probably have no business beating. If Lindor, Ramirez, Kluber, and Bauer performed up to or beyond their abilities, the Indians could easily dominate their ALDS and ALCS series, and then BOOM, you're in the World Series.
Posted By: Jester Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/28/18 02:32 AM
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mlb-trade-rumors-least-five-133503043.html

MLB Trade Rumors: At Least Five Teams Interested In Trading for Corey Kluber
Sports Illustrated Scooby Axson,Sports Illustrated 12 hours ago

Christmas Day was relatively quiet, but the MLB rumor mill is still churning. The offseason's biggest free agents, Bryce Harper and Manny Machado, remain on the market and are expected to sign big deals at the beginning of the new year.

The Winter Meetings produced a handful of signings, including Patrick Corbin's six-year, $140 million deal with the Washington Nationals.

Here are all the latest transactions and rumors around baseball:

• At least five teams are involved with the Cleveland Indians to try to lock down a trade for starting pitcher Corey Kluber. (Jon Morosi, MLB Network)

• The San Diego Padres are one of the teams inquiring about Kluber, and are also interested in Toronto Blue Jays starter Marcus Stroman. (Kevin Acee, San Diego Union Tribune)

• The Milwaukee Brewers and Nationals are among the teams that are in play for veteran Jed Lowrie. Lowrie spent the last three seasons with the Oakland Athletics. (Jamal Collier, MLB.com)

• The Texas Rangers are still searching for help at catcher, even though the team isn't expected to be in the mix for J.T. Realmuto. (T.R. Sullivan, MLB.com)
Posted By: Jester Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/28/18 02:33 AM
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1078043424270487553

Jon Morosi
‏
Verified account

@jonmorosi
Follow Follow @jonmorosi

Corey Kluber trade talks are most intense with NL clubs now, sources say. #Padres, #Dodgers, #Phillies, #Brewers, #Reds involved to varying degrees. @MLBNetwork @MLB
Posted By: Dave Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/28/18 02:43 AM
If a team is trading for a two time CY winner, they better be prepared to give up a lot. Yesterday, I read that the Padres want Kluber but that their two top prospects were off the table. I say that if you want Kluber, NOBODY is off the table, or we walk away. Indians own 3 years of control with Kluber. You can't give that away ... in fact, you're probably crazy to consider trading him at all.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/28/18 10:34 AM
IIRC the Padres have some nice pieces in the farm system. That might be a good partner
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 12/28/18 03:25 PM
yeah and its obvious we are in rebuild. Only thing i can see as being an issue with Kluber is his pathetic post season numbers..thats got to give teams pause thinking they are getting a guy that can help them get there. But regardless, it should be quite the haul if he is traded, or i'd wait till during the season when teams would be a little more desperate
Posted By: Jester Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 01/06/19 09:17 PM
Not exactly awe inspiring news but...

Indians acquire C Plawecki in trade with New York Mets

The Associated Press
TOM WITHERS (AP Sports Writer)
The Associated PressJan 6, 2019, 3:06 PM

CLEVELAND (AP) -- The Cleveland Indians have acquired catcher Kevin Plawecki in a trade with the New York Mets.

The three-time defending AL champions sent right-hander Walker Lockett and infielder Sam Haggerty to New York in exchange for Plawecki, who played in 78 games - 64 starts - for the Mets last season. Plawecki batted .201 with seven homers and a career-high 30 RBIs.

The Indians were in the market for a catcher after trading All-Star Yan Gomes to the Washington Nationals in December. Plawecki will likely platoon with Roberto Perez.

Plawecki spent six weeks last season on the disabled list with a broken left hand. He threw out 23 percent (16 for 70) of potential base stealers and had two four-RBI games.

The 27-year-old played at Purdue and was the Big Ten Player of the Year in 2012 before the Mets drafted him with the No. 35 overall pick.

https://sports.yahoo.com/indians-acquire-c-plawecki-trade-york-mets-200656308--mlb.html
Posted By: Dave Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 01/17/19 10:10 PM
Yankees signed a reliever I was hoping the Indians might try to get. Adam Ottavino signed a 3 year $27M contract with NY. Yankees bullpen is now officially ridiculous, with Ottavino joining Aroldis Chapman, Zach Britton, Dellin Betances, and Chad Green. Better get to the Yankee starters early if you want to beat them. The Red Sox have very little choice now but to give FA Craig Kimbrel whatever he's asking for, IMO. The Indians should probably consider a 1 year "show-me" contract for Cody Allen, because our bullpen is thin.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/01/17/yankees-sign-reliever-adam-ottavino-to-a-three-year-deal/
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 01/18/19 03:22 PM

Posted By: Dave Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 01/27/19 01:12 AM
Indians re-sign LH reliever Oliver Perez. He was lights out last year, so good move. Now, about those corner infield and outfield spots ... come on Antonetti. Go get Jose Martinez from St Louis in a trade, for starters.

https://www.mlb.com/news/oliver-perez-signs-with-indians/c-303143340
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 01/27/19 02:00 AM
Indians re-sign LH reliever Oliver Perez. He was lights out last year, so good move. Now, about those corner infield and outfield spots ... come on Antonetti. Go get Jose Martinez from St Louis in a trade, for starters.

https://www.mlb.com/news/oliver-perez-signs-with-indians/c-303143340

Martinez would be a real nice addition. But what would you be willing to give St Louis for him?
Posted By: Dave Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 01/27/19 02:21 PM
I think it would take a starting pitcher, like Kluber or Bauer, which I really don't want to do. I would rather part with our top prospect SP Tristan McKenzie and another prospect, but I don't think the Indians brass would agree with me on that. If we were to trade Kluber or Bauer for J Martinez, I would also want a prospect like OF TJ O'Neill, and I would want STL to agree to take Kipnis and his $14M contract off our hands. Meh, its all just spitballing, but we've reached my sports dead zone time of year, and I'm just trying to get through January and February in the Great White North.
Posted By: Dave Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 02/02/19 07:25 PM
Indians' equipment trucks left for Goodyear, AZ on Thursday - an early harbinger of spring, which is a cheerful thought.

Tito's motor scooter went with it, deflating rumors that Tito was leading a gang of motor scooters (Heck's Angels) out Route 66 ...

Pitchers and catchers reports in about 3 weeks. Bring it on.
Posted By: Dave Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 02/08/19 10:06 PM
Francisco Lindor is out with a calf strain for 7-9 weeks. He's expected to miss most or all of spring training, and possibly the first week or two of the season. Not exactly the news I was looking for on the Indians, but at least it didn't happen during the season. Now we just have to hope it isn't a recurring problem, like with Chisenhall.

https://www.mlb.com/news/francisco-lindor-expected-back-in-7-to-9-weeks/c-303704872
Posted By: Dave Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 02/16/19 12:16 AM
fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed

Marwin Gonzalez in Cleveland? Don't rule it out

Feb. 8: The Indians might have the most uncertain outfield situation in the Majors, and they may now be forced to enter the regular season without All-Star shortstop Francisco Lindor, who is expected to be held out of game action for seven to nine weeks due to a right calf strain.

Cleveland is still arguably the favorite in the American League Central, but the team has a great deal of question marks. Meanwhile, the Twins have improved this offseason, and the up-and-coming White Sox could add Manny Machado to the mix. The division race should be a much tougher fight than it was in 2018, with the Tribe won it by 13 games.

The Indians made several moves to trim payroll this offseason, so a major addition may not be forthcoming. But if Cleveland does want to dip into the free-agent market for some insurance, there just so happens to be someone available who can play the outfield and provide depth at shortstop … looking at you, Marwin Gonzalez.

So, could the Indians find some extra cash to sign the ultra-versatile Gonzalez? Cleveland projects to open the campaign with a payroll below $120 million, according to Cot's Baseball Contracts. The team began 2018 at roughly $134 million, meaning there is likely room to ink the 29-year-old, even if the Tribe wants to stay below last year's Opening Day mark.

https://www.mlb.com/news/marwin-gonzalez-rumors/c-302316766
Posted By: BuckDawg1946 Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 02/16/19 01:14 AM
I can’t do the block C, too many teams incorporate a C. Can we reach out to the Native American community, to help come up with some sort of “indian” logo? I actually like the attention chief wahoo brought to native Americans, because they are an important aspect of America. Where we came from, and where we want to go.

We should meet in the middle from chief wahoo, some sort of homage to native Americans.
Posted By: Jester Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 02/16/19 06:54 AM
I don't like the block C at all. At least go with a cool C of some sort.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 02/16/19 01:46 PM
Originally Posted By: BuckDawg1946
I can’t do the block C, too many teams incorporate a C. Can we reach out to the Native American community, to help come up with some sort of “indian” logo? I actually like the attention chief wahoo brought to native Americans, because they are an important aspect of America. Where we came from, and where we want to go.

We should meet in the middle from chief wahoo, some sort of homage to native Americans.

I dont believe enough native Americans care or even have time to care. Too busy trying to make a life with as little turmoil, outside interference and stressors as possible. Exactly like the rest of us...
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 02/19/19 11:58 PM
Manny Machado to the Padres. This is HUGE news down here. The Padres never spend money on anything and have been irrelevant forever.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 02/20/19 01:08 PM
Not sure I want to see him go. Get a bunch for him if we do. Is he some kind of cap issue?
Posted By: Dave Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 02/20/19 04:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Not sure I want to see him go. Get a bunch for him if we do. Is he some kind of cap issue?

Sorry, I don't know who you're referring to.
Posted By: Dave Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 02/22/19 09:38 PM
Quote:
Marwin Gonzalez in Cleveland? Don't rule it out

Its extremely annoying to me that Gonzalez signed with the Twins today ... 2 years, $21M. Especially after the Twins already signed another guy I liked, Nelson Cruz. I don't know if the Twins can pitch, but with Gonzalez, Cruz, Rosario, Kepler, Sano, et al, I bet they're going to mash at the plate.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 02/23/19 12:33 PM
Indians vs Reds today at 3:00pm on STO. Go Tribe!!!
Posted By: rockyhilldawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 02/23/19 03:18 PM
They're getting warmed-up for:

Posted By: Dave Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 02/24/19 12:26 PM
Indians sign 1B/DH Hanley Ramirez to a minor league deal. He could add some right-handed pop to the middle of the lineup, if he's healthy.

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2019/02/...eal-report.html
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 02/25/19 03:14 AM
Trevor Bauer. Good stuff....

Posted By: rockyhilldawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 02/26/19 10:22 AM

Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 02/26/19 04:29 PM
It’s official, the @Indians have signed @HanleyRamirez to a minor league deal with a non-roster invite to Major League Camp. The 35 year-old has a career .290 BA with 269 HR’s and 909 RBI in 1,652 games with three different Major League teams. 3x All-Star with 2 Silver Sluggers

https://twitter.com/AlPawlowski/status/1100429270978121728
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 02/27/19 12:57 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/05/19 01:41 PM
j/c:

The Indians are going to sign a veteran outfielder before the season starts

Cleveland, OH (92.3 The Fan) – The Indians are going to sign a veteran outfielder before the season starts. You may be laughing at that statement, but it’s true.

Their roster is as unproven as it has been in a long time. The Indians’ outfield is filled with young players – including Greg Allen, Jordan Luplow, Tyler Naquin and Jake Bauers. The front office wants to get a look at some of the youngsters, which makes complete sense. They’re also favored to win a fourth-straight division championship. Is it wise to rely on Allen and Luplow, who have a combined 364 big-league at-bats?

The Indians have a smart front office. They know a backup plan is necessary. What happens if their corner outfielders both hit .200 in April? They’re hoping that Bauers proves to be a competent left fielder. What happens when two of these young outfielders go down with an injury? The Indians’ margin for error is smaller than ever. If every fan knows that, don’t you think the front office knows it?

They don’t have depth in the outfield and the players they do have are unproven. Bradley Zimmer and Leonys Martin both have their question marks. There’s no way the Indians are going to roll the dice and on inexperience when they can sign an outfielder that has something to offer on the field and can mentor their younger players. There are plenty of veterans who fit that mold.

In an interview with the Cincinnati Enquirer, Reds outfielder Matt Kemp admitted he was surprised at the quality outfielders that are available.

“There’s a lot of good guys sitting at home right now that don’t have jobs,” Kemp said. “Guys like Denard Span, Adam Jones, Carlos González. It’s a shame because those guys can really help a team win games.”

Adding a player like Span, Jones or González is the perfect backup plan for the Indians. We’re talking about low-cost options that would be able to mentor players like Allen, Luplow and Bauers. The exact type of signing that ownership would agree to, despite their budget concerns.

It would give the Indians another option at designated hitter. Hanley Ramirez may have success and become the everyday DH, but the 35-year-old signed a minor-league deal for a reason.

Why would the Indians pass on signing one of these veterans, if one could be had at a reasonable price? They have a weakness and there are low-cost options available that could help. Martin may play well in center field. Allen may prove to be a great, young outfielder. Luplow or Bauers could have breakout campaigns and help lead this team to a fourth-straight division title. Those things could happen, but does anyone think all of them are going to happen?

The Indians aren’t naïve enough to think they can go into the season without adding to their inexperienced outfield. Their dream scenario includes Bauers proving to be a competent left fielder, so they can put Carlos Santana at first base. That sounds great, but what happens if Bauers struggles?

They could wait and see how the young players fare before bringing in a veteran. Why wait to bring in a backup plan? Wouldn't it be smart to sign González, Span or Jones now so they can get acclimated and comfortable? It would also give them more time to help develop the young players on the roster.

Adding a proven outfielder is a no-brainer. The Indians don’t have to do it this week, but signing a veteran that can help in a multitude of ways is exactly what a well-run organization would do. Say what you want about the Tribe, but they know how to build a winner.

Everyone understands they have to see what they have in Allen, Bauers and Luplow, but committing to unknown commodities, without a backup plan is bad business. The Indians are good at what they do, which is exactly why they’ll sign a veteran outfielder between now and the start of the regular season.

https://923thefan.radio.com/articles/cleveland-indians-will-sign-veteran-outfielder
Posted By: rockyhilldawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/10/19 03:15 PM

Shane Bieber - looking good this spring.

Can you spell P-O-T-E-N-T-I-A-L?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/17/19 11:37 PM
j/c..

Posted By: Dave Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/17/19 11:43 PM
Indians signed Carlos Gonzalez to a minor league contract. Another platoon OF ... yippy-ki-yay.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/18/19 03:06 PM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/19/19 03:04 PM
j/c...

The Indians just released the option to purchase tickets to the All-Star game and Home Run Derby to season ticket holders.

As I went to buy my seats, they are requiring you to purchase (2) tickets per seat to the Play Ball Park ($80), a commemorative program per ticket ($12 each) and a ticket per seat to the Celebrity and Legends Softball ($145 each) all as part of the All-Star package.

$290+ fees (my two tickets) to go and watch a 91 year old Tommy Lasorda, Dan Cortese and Downtown Julie Brown play softball seems like a crime.

I'll quit whining now. People will be better off buying tickets on the secondary market.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/23/19 09:42 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/23/19 10:54 PM
Corey Kluber will start Opening Day for the Indians.

The rest of the rotation will be:
2. Bauer
3. Carrasco
4. Clevinger
5. Bieber

https://twitter.com/MandyBell02/status/1109586308958244864
Posted By: rockyhilldawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/24/19 06:41 PM
If I was an odds maker, I'd put the odds at 10% that Danny Salazar makes 10+ starts this year.

Maybe 20%. He was just placed on the 60-day disabled list (which was completely expected and in line with his rehab and return by the all-star break)

If Salazar pitches in the Majors this year and returns to his previous form, the Indians will be incredibly "Starting Pitcher rich".
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/24/19 07:19 PM
Hanley likely to make Indians for Opening Day
Francona: 'If we stay put, I mean, Hanley’s on the team'

https://www.mlb.com/indians/news/hanley-ramirez-likely-makes-indians-roster

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- It all comes down to Hanley Ramirez.

The Indians have finalized 24 pieces of their 25-man roster. On Sunday, Indians manager Terry Francona said that the only decision left to make is whether Ramirez will make the team. As of now, the 35-year-old will be on the Tribe’s Opening Day roster as long as the team doesn’t make any more additions.

“If we stay put, I mean, Hanley’s on the team,” Francona said. “If there’s another move on the outside made, it could affect Hanley and we told him that.”

Ramirez will DH in Cleveland’s final game in Arizona before the team heads to Texas. The 14-year-veteran slashed .278/.316/.528 through his first 12 spring games (36 at-bats) with three doubles, two homers and eight RBIs.

Assuming no other acquisitions occur, the Indians starting outfield will likely be Jake Bauers in left, Leonys Martin in center and Tyler Naquin in right. Francona said he isn’t sure how Greg Allen and Jordan Luplow will mix in just yet.

“I don’t want Naquin and Bauers to just be strictly platoon guys because I don’t think it’s healthy for them,” Francona said. “…We’ll see. We don’t want anybody ever just sitting, but [Allen] has the ability to pinch-run, to do things like that.”

After bringing in Brad Miller on Sunday morning, the infield will consist of Carlos Santana at first, Jose Ramirez at third and a mix of Eric Stamets, Max Moroff and Miller at short and second until Francisco Lindor and Jason Kipnis -- both working through calf strains -- return to the lineup.

“Between Moroff, [Miller] and Stamets, we have three middle infielders and guys that can move around, but we may mix and match a little bit,” Francona said. “Some of that probably depends on how guys are swinging.”

The rotation was officially announced on Saturday, although it was the one part of the roster that could be predicted. Corey Kluber will start Opening Day, and the rest of the order will be Trevor Bauer, Carlos Carrasco, Mike Clevinger and Shane Bieber. They will work with Roberto Perez and Kevin Plawecki behind the plate.

The bullpen was finalized on Sunday when the Tribe optioned Nick Wittgren to Triple-A. Brad Hand, Oliver Perez, Adam Cimber, Dan Otero, Tyler Olson, Neil Ramirez and Jon Edwards will make up the Indians ‘pen on Opening Day.

“We knew some of those conversations at the end, they get tough,” Francona said of his meeting with Wittgren. “And we were talking about it this morning in our meeting. The way our guys handled themselves was probably beyond what you could really expect. … And the way they handled themselves, the way they carried themselves, we really appreciate it and have no doubt that they will play a big part of what we do.”

Mandy Bell covers the Indians for MLB.com. Follow her on Twitter at @MandyBell02.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/24/19 07:21 PM

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- The Indians have filled a hole at second base.

They signed free agent Brad Miller to a big-league contract. He’ll start at second in their final Cactus League on Sunday afternoon against the White Sox at Glendale, Ariz. The Indians will leave Arizona after the game, play two games against the Rangers at Globe Life Park in Arlington, Tex., before flying to Minneapolis to open the regular season Thursday against the Twins at Target Field.

Miller is expected to open the regular season at second base in place of injured Jason Kipnis. The Tribe’s veteran second baseman will open the season on the injured list with a strained right calf. Shortstop Francisco Lindor, hindered with the same injury, will open on the injured list as well.

That means manager Terry Francona’s opening day lineup against the Twins could have Eric Stamets at short and Miller at second.

Miller, 29, is coming off a big spring with the Dodgers. The left-handed hitter batted .385 (10-for-26) with two homers and three RBI in 12 games. He opted out of his contract on Thursday.

Last year Miller played with the Rays and Milwaukee. He hit a combined .230 (57-for-230) with seven homers and 29 RBI. He posted a .724 OPS in 75 games.

“I know this is a really good team with great pitching," said Miller. “I’m glad I’m playing behind them now. It’s going to be fun to get to know everybody. I think it’s a perfect fit.”

Miller has played in the big leagues with Seattle, the Rays and Milwaukee. He was Seattle’s second round pick in 2011. Miller’s best year came in 2016 when he batted .243 (133-for-548) with 30 homers and 81 RBI for the Rays.

In Miller’s career he has played every defensive position except pitcher and catcher. He’s seen most of his action at shortstop (375 games) and second base (156 games).

“Brad is a left-handed bat who has done some pretty good damage against right-handed pitching,” said manager Terry Francona. "Between Max Moroff, Eric Stamets and Miller we have three middle infielders who can move around. We may mix and match a little bit.

“At this late stage of the spring, I thought our (front office) guys did a really good job of finding someone who can help us. That’s not an easy thing to do."

But what happens when Kipnis is ready to return?

“I wouldn’t have signed here if it was temporary,” said Miller. "I had other opportunities that were pretty significant as well. For me my attitude is the same as it was this spring with the Dodgers. I’m trying to make it pretty easy on them by how I play. I know what I’m capable of. I feel healthy. I feel like myself.

“I’m very hungry and opportunistic right now. I don’t really think about what they’re thinking now. I plan on showing with my play that a winning team needs to have me in there.”

Francona said they talked to Miller about the possible scenarios that could happen when the Indians return to health

“The last you want to do is bring someone in here under false pretenses,” he said. “He told me he believes in himself. I love that. But we feel an obligation to lay it out -- almost the worst case scenario.”

To make room for Miller on the 40-man roster, Danny Salazar was transferred to the 60-day injured list.

In another move the Indians optioned right-hander Nick Wittgren to Class AAA Columbus. That sets the opening-day bullpen with Brad Hand, Adam Cimber, Dan Otero, Jon Edwards, Neil Ramirez, Tyler Olson and Oliver Perez.

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2019/03/...econd-base.html
Posted By: jfanent Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/24/19 07:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

The Indians just released the option to purchase tickets to the All-Star game and Home Run Derby to season ticket holders.

As I went to buy my seats, they are requiring you to purchase (2) tickets per seat to the Play Ball Park ($80), a commemorative program per ticket ($12 each) and a ticket per seat to the Celebrity and Legends Softball ($145 each) all as part of the All-Star package.

$290+ fees (my two tickets) to go and watch a 91 year old Tommy Lasorda, Dan Cortese and Downtown Julie Brown play softball seems like a crime.

I'll quit whining now. People will be better off buying tickets on the secondary market.

What a frickin' screw job.
Posted By: Jester Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/24/19 08:03 PM
Jose Ramirez had to be carted off the field after fouling a ball off his left leg.

Ramirez appeared to foul the ball off the inside of his knee and he immediately went down in a heap. He remained on the ground for a while before eventually being carted off. The star infielder will surely be sent for X-rays and the Indians should have an update on his status later Sunday.

SOURCE: Paul Hoynes on Twitter
Mar 24, 2019, 3:58 PM

https://www.rotoworld.com/
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/24/19 10:07 PM

Posted By: Dave Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/24/19 10:29 PM
Looks like we dodged a bullet - good news.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/24/19 10:35 PM

Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/25/19 12:49 PM
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/25/19 02:00 PM
Two more years IMO. If we can't extend him, we would be foolish to not trade him.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/25/19 04:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Two more years IMO. If we can't extend him, we would be foolish to not trade him.

Absolutely agree. There was/is never a chance the Indians were going to be able to sign Lindor to a long term deal. It's the nature of the business being a small market team.

I'd strongly consider moving Kluber after this year as well. Bauer in 2020 as well.

Got to reload the young talent. The Indians only have two players, Triston McKenzie #41 and Nolan Jones #61, in the top 100 MLB prospects for 2019.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/25/19 05:50 PM
If the Padres can afford Manny Machado, the Indians can afford Francisco Lindor. It’s not about being able, it’s wanting to pay that much.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/25/19 06:27 PM
If the Padres can afford Manny Machado, the Indians can afford Francisco Lindor. It’s not about being able, it’s wanting to pay that much.

Eh, afford vs pay are two different things. A contract like that will limit what the Indians can do to build the rest of the team.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/25/19 09:41 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/25/19 11:49 PM
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/26/19 02:08 PM

This exactly while Dolan needs to sell, they just don't have the pockets.. Until then, we will continue being a very well coached farm team for the teams that do
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/26/19 02:56 PM
To be clear, the owners just don’t want to make less money. That’s their prerogative but let’s not pretend they aren’t making money hand over fist.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/26/19 03:22 PM
they most certainly are, even now with STO rights revenue...they promise they'd spend when in contention..they still havent done that..in fact they've gone backwards this year. They just aren't in it for the love of owning a team..its all about revenue...which is funny because this town would respond if they thought Dolans were serious about building sustainability. Like people said, other small market teams give out big deals...the fact that the biggest deals the dolans have doled out was the 60 million EE deal is telling
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/26/19 08:02 PM
I don't think they are cheap. I am however a bit disappointed that while the window is still open they are semi dismantling the club.
Posted By: Dave Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/26/19 09:06 PM
Chin up, Indians fans; MLB.com says we have the best starting rotation in baseball. Remember, if you can get to October, any team can get hot and win it all - it almost happened in 2016. Excerpt to story and link below ...

These are baseball's top 10 rotations

By Anthony Castrovince
3/26/19 1:00 PM EDT

We’re getting primed for the fast-approaching awesomeness of Opening Day by concocting arbitrary lists that cause arguments and prompt hate tweets directed at yours truly. It’s a tradition unlike any other!

We began Monday with the Top 10 bullpens for 2019, continue today with the Top 10 rotations and will wrap up Wednesday with the Top 10 lineups.

In case you haven’t noticed, baseball is changing. Starters don’t go as deep into games, rotations are ever-changing, and now, in a trend that will likely only increase in 2019, we’ve got relievers serving as opening acts in the first inning. So the aura of the great rotation is either more profound than ever or less meaningful than ever, depending on your particular perspective. All we know is that these 10 rotations look pretty good.

1. Indians

The cash-strapped Tribe front office toyed with the idea of breaking up the rotation via trade to augment other areas of the roster. But bringing back adequate value for Corey Kluber or Trevor Bauer, either of whom is capable of winning the American League Cy Young Award this season, proved as difficult in reality as it looks on paper. So the Indians roll into a season with a unit that not only has proven commodities but a ton of potential.

Kluber and the recently extended Carlos Carrasco are coming off a five-year stretch in which they rank fourth and 13th, respectively, in ERA. As far as the potential is concerned, Bauer’s scientific shaping of his slider last season helped him cut his ERA basically in half, and a new changeup could foster further improvement. Mike Clevinger broke out in 2018 with a 200-inning effort and improved strike-throwing confidence. Sophomore fifth starter Shane Bieber was already on a bunch of breakout lists even before he unveiled a new changeup this spring that looks as though it could enhance his repertoire.

Read more at:
https://www.mlb.com/news/baseball-s-top-10-rotations-going-into-2019
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/26/19 09:45 PM
Following adjustment in delivery midway through 2018, Mike Clevinger's avg fastball velo in Sept. climbed to 94.6 mph. Today, it was at 95.7 mph (97.3 max), per Savant. That seems important for a guy who told me last week his biggest focus this year will be "average velocity."

https://twitter.com/TJZuppe/status/1110652488414302208
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/27/19 03:22 AM
TJ Zuppe puts out great work, specifically, analytic based information. I was bummed to see him recently let go by The Athletic.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/27/19 06:34 PM
I have seen a lot of "well ya know they have been good the last few years, and still are low in league attendance"

Well yeah, because the Dolans severed a really good relationship between this organization and the people of Cleveland YEARS ago.

They let Manny walk, they let Thome walk. They traded Cy Young award winners in consecutive years.

They make these irresponsible comments about fans showing up and then they'll spend

They constantly make themselves out to be the victim, mind you, in a city where people are struggling financially

The Indians sold out all those games for a number of reasons. The Browns weren't around, the Cavs were a middle of the road organization, yes those are both true points, but the fact was that people showed up in droves to watch this team.

That stopped when the Dolans made it clear that winning was not a priority. Fans have not showed up since. I think that message plays more into attendance than the absence of the Browns or the struggles of the Cavaliers.

Sure, the team went out and got Edwin Encarnacion. That was a move that surprised a lot of people, but it's one move.

I think the thing for me that angers me the most, is that we build up these really good teams, and when things don't work out, they start to scale back. Other teams go out and try to get better. What did we do after the Cubs series? Nothing. What about after the Yankees series?

What about after blowing a 3-1 to the Red Sox in 2007? They did nothing.

The window for the Indians is smaller than the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers, etc, so it just seems like they don't want to try and get better because it may change their bottom line.

Then when called out upon by media, fans, they make themselves out to be the victim, that's what I can't stand. They don't care about winning as much as the fans.

Say what you want about Dan Gilbert, but winning was an absolute priority with him. He could have been a real jerk, and not kicked the tires on getting Lebron back. He probably would have made more money not bringing him back and being so far over the cap that he may have gone into the red on the budget.

Say what you want about Randy Lerner and Jimmy Haslam as well, but both of those guys never made money and finance an issue.

I don't believe baseball teams should sell out every game. I think there's something really awesome, and really cool about being able to just call your buddy on a whim and head down that day for a ball game. But the fans of this team have made it clear that they want the Dolans to hurt at the gate, because their STO numbers are incredible. One of the better ratings in the league. The message is clear that they aren't doing enough to bring what is now, baseball's biggest WS drought to an end.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/27/19 06:49 PM
j/c...

Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/27/19 07:37 PM
Posted By: rockyhilldawg Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/27/19 08:25 PM
Time to move along.

Indians 2019 preseason is over.

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason - 03/27/19 10:13 PM
j/c...

© DawgTalkers.net