DawgTalkers.net
Who are?

Adam Plutko
Zach Plesac
Trevor Bauer
Shane Bieber
Relief Committee (probably just a brief (or necessary) experiment)

The Indians’ current starting rotation.

Staff ace Bieber

"Starters by Relief"

If you told me this was going to be the Indians’ starting rotation in this mid-season I would have thought the “The party’s over.”
Runs scored : Tribe ranks 12th out of the 15 AL teams right now ..
Jose Ramirez is starting to remind me of Carlos Baerga, who pretty suddenly went from All-Star to journeyman after about 6 years with the team back in the 90's. Jose has more speed and power than Baerga did, but his drop off in productivity has been even more precipitous than Carlos's was. Back then there were rumors of Baerga and Jose Mesa closing down a lot of bars around town, but I have no idea if they were true. Likewise, I have no idea what has happened to Ramirez except that last August teams started pitching him differently and he has yet to adjust to it. According to Tom Hamilton last night, Ramirez very rarely sees a fastball for a strike. They are attacking him early in the count with breaking pitches and change-ups, and putting him away with high fastballs out of the strike zone.
Originally Posted By: Dave
Jose Ramirez is starting to remind me of Carlos Baerga, who pretty suddenly went from All-Star to journeyman after about 6 years with the team back in the 90's. Jose has more speed and power than Baerga did, but his drop off in productivity has been even more precipitous than Carlos's was. Back then there were rumors of Baerga and Jose Mesa closing down a lot of bars around town, but I have no idea if they were true. Likewise, I have no idea what has happened to Ramirez except that last August teams started pitching him differently and he has yet to adjust to it. According to Tom Hamilton last night, Ramirez very rarely sees a fastball for a strike. They are attacking him early in the count with breaking pitches and change-ups, and putting him away with high fastballs out of the strike zone.

Yeah, I don't think that different pitching explains Ramirez's drop-off. (maybe only a little)(it's not like they were pitching him underhand)

I just looked up his 2018 half season splits:

First Half

29 homers, ,302 average

second half

10 homers, .218 average
Very nice home stand by the Tribe. 4-2 against two division leaders.

Indians are now 7-6 against the top three teams in the American League.

Houston 2-2
Yankees 2-1
Twins 3-3

Hangin' with the big dagws.

The Dyslexic Dagws.

According to Tom Hamilton last night, Ramirez very rarely sees a fastball for a strike. They are attacking him early in the count with breaking pitches and change-ups, and putting him away with high fastballs out of the strike zone.

FS1 put up a graph during Saturday's NYY vs CLE game while Ramirez was batting that showed this year he is seeing a higher rate of fastballs this year as compared to last.

The graph showed:

51% of pitches were fastballs and his BA was .304

54% of pitches were fastballs and his BA is .201

Jose's drop-off in production since last August is almost mind boggling. I can only imagine how much this is messing with his head while at the plate at this point.
I think Ramirez's problems are pretty obvious.
At least too me after watching my first game on tv last week.
I live in NC and rarely get to see games. I tend to listen to them on my Sirius/XM.

His mechanics are all out of whack.
He dips his shoulder for what I can only guess is to get the increased launch angle.
He swings too hard and is always trying to pull the ball

He need to get on the batting tee then in the cage and spend time taking smooth swings driving the ball to the opposite field.

Until he changes his mental approach at the plate of trying to hit every pitch out of teh park, he is going to stay in this slump.

To me, it is blatantly obvious. Not sure if the hitting coach doesn't see it or just can't get him to understand it.
Seven Reasons Behind Jose Ramirez's Strange and Steep Decline
By TOM VERDUCCI June 10, 2019

CLEVELAND — Jose Ramirez is broken, and nobody around the Indians seems to know why.

It is one of the strangest, steepest declines in recent memory. In a span of 102 games, beginning Aug. 18, 2018, Ramirez fell from being one of the five to 10 best players to the worst hitter in baseball, at least by batting average among regulars. The Cleveland third baseman has batted .189 over those 102 games. No one else with at least 250 at-bats has been worse. It has been not just his hitting. His defense has collapsed in that same span.

“It’s been hard on him,” said Victor Rodriguez, one of the Indians’ hitting coaches. “We tell him every day, ‘Today is the first day of the rest of your season.’ But it’s hard not to worry when the numbers are staring at you every day.”

To understand the magnitude of this collapse, you have to understand the historic proportions of how well Ramirez played in the previous three seasons. Once thought of as a utility player–the Indians signed a toasty 37-year-old Juan Uribe in 2016 to be their third baseman because nobody thought Ramirez was ready to be an everyday player–Ramirez broke through that year with a .312/.363/.462 season. Then in 2017 he finished third in MVP voting and again in 2018 (even with his late-season collapse last year) while posting OPS+ of 145 and 150 at ages 24 and 25.

Only great players, not fluky players, post back-to-back seasons that good in their prime years. Only 25 players who have been retired for at least five years posted an OPS+ of 145 or better at ages 24 and 25. Twenty of them are Hall of Famers. The other five are borderline Hall of Famers: Fred McGriff, Will Clark, Don Mattingly, Dick Allen and Charlie Keller.

Ramirez, a switch-hitter, stood right over home plate like a sentry, daring pitchers to try to beat him inside with fastballs. Nobody could.

With his strong hands and rounded but powerful body, Ramirez flashed one of the quickest swings in all the game. From Opening Day 2017 to Aug. 18, 2018, Ramirez pulled 42 fastballs for home runs. Nobody else turned on more than 33 fastballs for home runs.

And then, it just stopped.

Since then Ramirez has pulled just four fastballs for home runs. He hasn’t hit a homer of any kind since May 16–even with the baseball flying like never before. His power is missing. His ability to hit the ball squarely has declined.

The root cause of how such a good hitter could become so bad so quickly remains a mystery. But the symptoms are obvious. Here is an examination of Ramirez’s decline by comparing his numbers in 2017-18 before Aug. 18, 2018, and what he has done since:

1. Ramirez can no longer hit fastballs.

Batting Average vs. Fastballs
Before Aug. 18 .336
After Aug. 18 .190

2. Ramirez is facing more shifts.

Percent of Pitches Facing a Shift
Before Aug. 18 18.1%
After Aug. 18 60.1%

“Sometimes he sees the shift,” Rodriguez said, “and like he did [Friday] night he gets a fastball in and tries to hit it the other way. And that’s when he pops up. I tell him, ‘You have to hit the same, like the shift is not there.’ Do what you always do.”

3. His batting average on balls in play has cratered:

BABIP
Before Aug. 18 .301
After Aug. 18 .209

4. But that’s not just due to bad luck. It’s because he’s not hitting the ball as hard …

Exit Velocity
Before Aug. 18 88.6 mph
After Aug. 18 87.8 mph

5. And because he is hitting more pop-ups than anybody in baseball …

Ramirez’s biggest problem is that he is getting pitches to hit and too often pulling them foul or popping them up. Pitchers actually are throwing him more fastballs this year.

Pop-Ups / MLB Rank
Before Aug. 18 82 / 14
After Aug. 18 44 / 1

6. He regularly is pulling foul balls.

“A lot of them,” manager Terry Francona said. “And they have been way foul. [Friday] night he had one down the line and I told [bench coach] Brad Mills, ‘At least that one’s not that foul.’”

7. His mechanics have suffered.

“Sometimes you’ll see him drag his back foot when he swings,” Rodriguez said. “You have no base when you do that.”

Slumps hit everyone. Chris Davis had a massive one. Paul Goldschmidt has had one in each of the past two seasons in which a great hitter looks lost for four weeks at a time.

Some players, even great ones, fall off a cliff quickly: Roberto Alomar, Mattingly, Dale Murphy, maybe Miguel Cabrera and Joey Votto. But age and injury often are obvious to blame.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/06/10/jose-r...flow_twitter_si
Surprised nobody mentioned Big Papi getting shot yesterday. Hopefully he can make a full recovery, but terrible news about someone who's generally considered a good guy. From what I've read, it looked like an attempted murder. Some guy came up behind him, and shot him in the back in a crowded bar. Then tried to run off. Everyone else caught the guy and beat him half-to death before he was arrested.
8. He is off the juice.
I think Hamilton's point wasn't that Ramirez isn't seeing fastballs, its that he wasn't seeing them for strikes. Tom said he was seeing fastballs late in the count that were above the strikezone, which might also explain the higher rate of popups and the lower exit velo. He's not getting as many fastballs that he can square up and drive. I also believe that the defensive shifts are messing with his head.
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
8. He is off the juice.

I don't know if this was facetious, but juicing can't make a good hitter out of a bad one, and right now Jose Ramirez is a flat out bad hitter.
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
8. He is off the juice.

I don't know if this was facetious, but juicing can't make a good hitter out of a bad one, and right now Jose Ramirez is a flat out bad hitter.

It was facetious. And yes, he is playing like crap.
Originally Posted By: Jester
I think Ramirez's problems are pretty obvious.
At least too me after watching my first game on tv last week.
I live in NC and rarely get to see games. I tend to listen to them on my Sirius/XM.

His mechanics are all out of whack.
He dips his shoulder for what I can only guess is to get the increased launch angle.
He swings too hard and is always trying to pull the ball

He need to get on the batting tee then in the cage and spend time taking smooth swings driving the ball to the opposite field.

Until he changes his mental approach at the plate of trying to hit every pitch out of teh park, he is going to stay in this slump.

To me, it is blatantly obvious. Not sure if the hitting coach doesn't see it or just can't get him to understand it.

I agree with your take. He got home run crazy and swings too hard and tries to lift the ball. When he fixes his mechanics at the plate we will see the old Jose. He is plenty strong and has more than enough bat speed.
Interesting stat about Ramirez, although I don't know what it means, is that he's a career .277 hitter and he's hitting .276 right-handed this year, but has dropped to .169 left-handed. Last year he hit .298 RH and .304 LH. What the hell?
Interesting stat about Ramirez, although I don't know what it means, is that he's a career .277 hitter and he's hitting .276 right-handed this year, but has dropped to .169 left-handed. Last year he hit .298 RH and .304 LH. What the hell?

It's certainly mental.

Possibly, his mental approach to being physically ready.

You gotta love thinking baseball 24 hours a day. And you work to being the best player you possibly can be. Then all of a sudden you fall in love and your new girlfriend blows your socks off. She's all you can think about.

Just sayin'

It's probably happened like this to others.

This could go back to him and how the shift is impacting him mentally at plate. Scott Boras mentioned how shifts hurt LH hitters more than RH hitters when Bryce Harper was set to become a FA. He has some valid points.....

"I've certainly come to the conclusion that shifting is grandly discriminatory in the game against power left-handed hitters. The reason for that is, you see that four men are at one side of the infield. Right-handed hitters, they have a great advantage in this regard. They can only put two and a half there because the second baseman can't go too far away and the first baseman is obviously way over.

"The other thing is, 70 percent of pitchers are right-handed, so they're getting sliders and breaking balls that are naturally inclined for them to hit where the ball is pitched and go the other way. Right-handed hitters can take a natural approach to the game as they were trained in their youth. They can hit a slider or curveball the other way, whereas left-handers, they're saying you're supposed to hit everything now the other way. The breaking ball's coming, the slider's coming, the fastballs are in, and you're now supposed to take inside-out swings?

"That's not how a power hitter's trained. You're affecting baseball on many, many levels in a negative way. You want hitters rewarded on both sides of the plate equally. If this continues, you're going to see the absolute absorption by parents of left-handed hitters ... I don't think it's good for the game. It's clear that hard-hit balls have almost 100 to 150 points lower average for left-handed hitters than right-handed hitters for exit velocities above 93 mph. When you see stats like that, you know there's reason for change. The game should be equal for both sides whether you're a right or left-handed hitter."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2399...d-contract-year
I noticed it's All-Star voting season.

Let's see.

Hey Brad Hand is definitely having a Pro Bowl season. (yeah, you heard me right)

His ERA looks like an all-star WHIP (.98).

His WHIP looks like he's pitching with no one at the plate.(.76)

Kipnis? Seriously, Indians? Come on man! LOL.
The idea has been floated to ban the shift. I'm not sure if I agree, but it's worthy of some consideration.
Come on boys bring home the Cup.

Wait, it's already "home" (Cleveland).

Keep the Cup boys.
Meh, I'm tired of interleague play. I don't care about playing the Reds; there's really no rivalry that anyone cares about, unlike Bengals vs Browns. I wish they'd go back to a balanced schedule within their respective leagues, so we could see the Red Sox, Yankees, Orioles, and other AL teams more than once a year. I could also do without seeing the Twins, White Sox, Tigers, and Royals 19 freaking times a year.
Meh, I'm tired of interleague play. I don't care about playing the Reds; there's really no rivalry that anyone cares about, unlike Bengals vs Browns. I wish they'd go back to a balanced schedule within their respective leagues, so we could see the Red Sox, Yankees, Orioles, and other AL teams more than once a year. I could also do without seeing the Twins, White Sox, Tigers, and Royals 19 freaking times a year.

Yeah. me too. I really don't care about the "Ohio State Rivalry".

I much more look forward to those Indians/Yankee and Indians/Red Sox games.

By the way, here in Connecticut, the state is very close to half Yankee fans and half Red Sox fans.

North half Red Sox. South half Yankees fans. (and Rocky Hill is very, very close to the geographic center point of the state.)

Here's why I wouldn't be a good MLB manager:

Jose "rally-killer" Ramirez comes up with bases loaded, no outs in the 4th.

I would have had rally-killer strike-out on purpose to avoid the double play.

Ramirez does in fact hit a double play ball. But the second baseman boots it - two runs score.

Nice job rally-killer.
11-3 Tribe, bottom of the 7th. laugh

Plutko with a strong start tonight.
Tribe wins 13-4. Jake Bauers hits for the cycle. laugh
Chief Meyers?

(Chief Meyers hit for the cycle back in 1912 when 10 homers won the season home run crown)

Nice addition to Jake Bauers' brief MLB resume. (hitting for the cycle)

While he strikes out way, way too much, (168 strikeouts in only 539 career at bats) he's still young (23).
What a wet game. At least it's gone 5 innings with a 3-0 Tribe lead.

Bieber dominating.

What's with the aqua blue caps and t-shirts?

Are those supposed to be "Father's Day colors"?

I bet a father didn't come up with that one.
Originally Posted By: rockyhilldawg

They're raising everyone's awareness of prostate cancer in observance of Father's Day. MLB will not rest until everybody's awareness is through the freaking roof.
In yesterday's game, Martin hit a double, advanced on a flyball to medium CF (most wouldn't have tried), and then made a straight steal of home. That was aggressive and impressive.
He may have heard or read the rumors that he was going to be DFA'd, because he has definitely picked up his game recently.

Speaking of, I see Cody Allen was DFA'd by the Angels yesterday. I wonder if he'd consider a minor league deal that would allow him to get his stuff together at Columbus and maybe rejoin the Indians if they decide to trade Brad Hand.

Yankees sign Encarnacion. (currently leading the American League with 21 homers)

COME ON...

Of course they did!
They traded a minor leaguer and cash to Seattle for Edwin. When they get Aaron Judge and Giancarlo Stanton back soon, that lineup will be something else. There's some talk that they'll send Clint Frazier back to AAA because there won't be any at bats available for him, and he has 11 homers. There's also some talk (by sports writers) that Frazier coming back to C-town could be part of a deal sending Trevor Bauer to the Yankees.
There's some talk that they'll send Clint Frazier back to AAA because there won't be any at bats available for him, and he has 11 homers. There's also some talk (by sports writers) that Frazier coming back to C-town could be part of a deal sending Trevor Bauer to the Yankees.
I don't like losing Bauer, but I would like that trade. I've liked Frazier since the Indians drafted him.
Can we play Detroit the rest of the way out?

Tribe up 7-0 in the 7th.
Uh OH...

Tigers bring in their closer.
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
There's some talk that they'll send Clint Frazier back to AAA because there won't be any at bats available for him, and he has 11 homers. There's also some talk (by sports writers) that Frazier coming back to C-town could be part of a deal sending Trevor Bauer to the Yankees.
I don't like losing Bauer, but I would like that trade. I've liked Frazier since the Indians drafted him.

I like Frazier too, but I'd need to get considerably more from NY to deal Bauer. Despite his record this year, I really think he's one of top arms in the game.
agreed
j/c...

It's going to be difficult for the Indians to not call up Bobby Bradley at some point....

When Clevinger went down in early April with a "right upper back/Teres major muscle strain" and was put on the 60-day DL, I thought that was the end of his career as an effective starting pitcher. (capable of say... pitching 200 innings/year with an ERA of 4.20 or less.)

I'm still not convinced otherwise. I can't help think that the injury was from him bearing down hard (he was at full tilt before the injury). I'm not sure he'll ever do that again without reinjuring his back.

Hope I'm wrong.

Phase I tonight against a tough Rangers team.
He should have tattoo'ed pictures of rosin, pine-tar, and vaseline on his arm.
Looks like Clevinger is crazy enough to pitch as hard as he can without giving reinjury a second's thought.

That's half the battle (to his successful return).

The other half is if that back muscle is magically better than it was when it tore.
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

It's going to be difficult for the Indians to not call up Bobby Bradley at some point....

Some great news.

Vegas has faith in Clevinger.

Tribe favored in this first game -120.

That is really good objective news. I'm surprised. I would have taken the Rangers at home.

It doesn't mean the Tribe will win. It means "the people who know" think Clevinger is ready.
Wasn't that rolled ankle in the second inning funny?

Indians started Plezac, and Lindor has gone 0-5 tonight.

Bottom of the 7th, and it's 10-0 Indians. rofl
j/c...

Will Benson had been raking. A good sign. Freeman is a hitter.

j/c...

Will Benson had been raking. A good sign. Freeman is a hitter.

Just took a look at Benson's and Freeman's minor league stats.

Benson - a lot of homers, stolen bases & strike-outs

Freeman - few homers, stolen bases & strike-outs. Rather, high batting average.
Nice start to third away game @ Globe Life Park against Rangers.

This is a big series. And the Tribe is hangin' tough.
Current temperature at game:

Predicted to be hotter tomorrow for afternoon game.

Summer's here in Texas.
Indians playing some good ball lately, win again tonight,
Twins lose, lead cut to 9 games
Nice to see even more of their young pitching coming through. Both Plutko and Plesac have been really nice emergency plugs, and Jefrey Rodriguez also did a decent job until he got hurt. just amazing that they have managed to hold their rotation together through major injuries.

They also have youngsters Mercado and Luplow who are looking like players.
Following is an excerpt from Paul Hoynes' "Indians Insider" column in today's Plain Dealer:

Salazar update: The Indians are optimistic that Danny Salazar, who hasn't pitched in the big leagues since 2017, could go on a rehab assignment within the next two weeks.

Salazar has been cloistered in Goodyear, Arizona, for almost 1½ years rehabbing a sore right shoulder that required surgery last year. It sounds like he's finally making real progress.

The Indians still don't know if he's going to start or relieve. They've prepared two rehab programs — one as a starter, one as a reliever.

Salazar has been a starter his whole career and does not particularly care for pitching out of the bullpen. The debate is an old one with Salazar. Is his fragile right arm and elbow more equipped to handle the certainty of the rotation or shorter, but more unpredictable, appearances out of the bullpen?

Stay tuned.
j/c:

So, two cities that can't fill up ugly stadiums?
If you want a two-city solution, wouldn't Orlando make more sense, and then just change the name to "Florida Devil Rays"? Or just go ahead and make a move to Charlotte, San Antonio, Portland, or Vegas? Trying to split it between two bad baseball markets sounds really stupid to me.
How strange.

Hey, it makes a little sense from a weather point of view.

At least a season opener in Tampa wouldn't get snowed out.

Unless, Tampa was hosting Cleveland.

If you want a two-city solution, wouldn't Orlando make more sense, and then just change the name to "Florida Devil Rays"? Or just go ahead and make a move to Charlotte, San Antonio, Portland, or Vegas? Trying to split it between two bad baseball markets sounds really stupid to me.

To add to that, if you combine Miami and Tampa Bays home attendance this year, it would still be 19th in MLB...

Move one of the teams out to one of the cities that might support it, move the other one to a more central location like Orlando, and call them Florida...
Oh my god.

I just noticed.

This Friday is………………

I wonder if security will be keeping an eye out for Joey Chestnut trying to sneak in. He most certainly is in training for the Nathan's July 4th Hot Dog contest and could bankrupt Sugerdale in minutes.

If you see this guy in the stadium Friday night, call your broker and sell your SUGARDALE Hotdog stock. Quick.

Ever had one of those years?

Ever had one of those years?

I hear they are going to have to call up GM if this stuff continues.crazy
Rumor is that its Bobby Bradley time. After the half-assed effort by Leonys Martin today in the outfield, I wouldn't be surprised if he was DFA'd pretty soon, so they'll have room for an additional starting pitcher to replace Clev's next turn in the rotation.
Francisco Lindor and Leonys Martin get into heated discussion in Cleveland Indians dugout

On Thursday, Cleveland Indians shortstop Francisco Lindor got into a heated discussion with Leonys Martin after the center fielder misplayed a ball.

Ben Axelrod
WKYC TV

June 20, 2019

It's been a rough season thus far for Leonys Martin.

On Thursday, it got a little rougher.

Backpedaling to the wall at Globe Life Park in Arlington in Thursday's matinee between the Cleveland Indians and Texas Rangers, Martin misplayed a ball hit by Elvis Andrus that ultimately resulted in an RBI triple. Indians shortstop Francisco Lindor apparently wasn't thrilled with Martin's effort on the play, as the two proceeded to get into a heated discussion in the team's dugout, with third baseman Jose Ramirez ultimately separating the two.

In the top of the eighth inning, the Rangers lead the Indians by a score of 2-1.

Acquired from the Detroit Tigers last season, Martin played in just six games with Cleveland in 2018 before a suffering from -- and ultimately overcoming -- a life-threatening bacterial infection that would cost him the remainder of the year. In his first full season as the Indians' starting centerfielder, the 31-year-old left-hander has hit for a meager .202 batting average with 9 home runs and 19 RBIs.

His defense -- previously thought to be a strength -- has also suffered, as he has amassed a defensive WAR (wins above replacement) of just 0.2.

Between the Indians' struggling offense, Bobby Bradley's surge in Triple-A Columbus and Oscar Mercado's ability to shift to centerfield, some have already begun to speculate that Martin's days in Cleveland could be numbered. Poised to become a free agent at season's end, Cleveland wouldn't owe Martin any guaranteed money beyond this season should the team designate him for assignment between now and then.

Whether or not the Indians will or won't do that will likely be determined in the weeks to come. But Thursday's showing likely didn't help his case.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/mlb/...3f-402bde1734f1
I love those Tribe 2-0 first innings.

Nice win for the Tribe! Wild final 2 innings. laugh
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Hell of a catch and throw by Naquin to end the game.

Nice comeback after Bauer didn't have it again tonight.
How does that play by Naquin not make the ESPN top 10? BS to me!

Hell of a catch and throw by Naquin to end the game.

Nice comeback after Bauer didn't have it again tonight.

Wait a minute. Bauer is the current "AL Player of the Week".

It's not like he's burnt toast.

Hey, young Aaron Civale was just called up from Columbus and starts this afternoon for the Tribe. He was born just down the road in East Windsor, Connecticut.

(anywhere in Connecticut is "just down the road" - if the whole state was a flat paved parking lot, you could skip a super ball across it)

(cool toy when I was a boy)
Francona's a genius.
To no one's surprise, the Tribe releases Martin.

Cleveland Indians release struggling OF Leonys Martin, promote RHP Aaron Civale - cleveland.com
https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2019/06/...ron-civale.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Struggling outfielder Leonys Martin has been designated for assignment by the Cleveland Indians. The club promoted right-handed pitcher Aaron Civale to take Martin’s spot on the 25-man roster and start Saturday’s game against Detroit at Progressive Field.

Cleveland has seven days to waive, trade, release or outright Martin to the minors. The move could clear the way for the Indians to promote power-hitting prospect Bobby Bradley from Triple-A Columbus after Civale makes his major-league debut in a spot start.

Martin hit .199 in 65 games this season, striking out 78 times in 236 plate appearances. He slugged .343 with a .619 OPS and hit nine home runs, but struggled to get on base.

Last week in Detroit, Martin pulled off Cleveland’s first straight steal of home since Grady Sizemore in 2005. Following a defensive miscue in center field on Thursday, Martin and shortstop Francisco Lindor had to be separated during an exchange in the Cleveland dugout.

Martin, 31, joined the Indians at the July trade deadline last season from the Tigers in exchange for minor-league shortstop Willi Castro. He played in six games for the Tribe before being sidelined for the remainder of the year with a life-threatening infection.

Martin credited doctors and staff at Cleveland Clinic for helping him recover from the near-fatal episode. In October, Martin agreed to a one-year, $3 million contract with the Indians.

Bradley, meanwhile, has been on fire for the Clippers in the last two weeks. The 23-year-old left-handed hitting first baseman has three multi-homer games in the last week and is slugging .508 with a .851 OPS.
Originally Posted By: Frenchy

It was #5
What is Francona telling these kids? (rookie pitchers)

The man is a genius.

Civale pitched like a grizzled all-star in his first major league appearance.
He is a great manager, but it wasn't Tito who scouted, drafted, and developed the current crop of young pitchers (Bieber, Plesac, Civale, Plutko). Credit for that has to go to the front office (Antonetti and Chernoff).
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

It was #5

The two I watched last night he wasnt on it, but I saw that in the morning he was.
Cleveland Indians promote slugger Bobby Bradley from Triple-A Columbus
Updated 9:51 AM; Today 9:48 AM

By Joe Noga, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Bobby Bradley’s wait is over.

The Cleveland Indians promoted the left-handed hitting slugger from Triple-A Columbus Sunday and he will be in uniform for the club’s series finale against Detroit at Progressive Field.

Bradley, 23, hit .292 (75-for-257) including 17 doubles, 24 homers and 55 RBI for the Clippers with a .997 OPS. He posted three multi-homer games in the last week, causing the drumbeat for his promotion to grow louder.

The Indians sent left-handed reliever Josh Smith back to Columbus in order to make room for Bradley on the 25-man roster.

Bradley has hit for power at every level in the minor leagues, averaging 34 home runs, 78 walks and 188 strikeouts through his first five seasons in the Tribe’s farm system. In 2014 he won the triple crown in the Arizona Fall League with a .316 batting average and 50 RBI in 39 games.

Indians president of baseball operations Chris Antonetti said Saturday that the club expected Bradley to be called up soon and that it is exciting to think about Bradley’s future in Cleveland.

Bradley came to spring training weighing over 250 pounds in February. The spring before he weighed 225, after losing 30 pounds over the winter. Bradley said he felt weak during the 2018 season after losing the weight. He missed time in Arizona with a sprained right shoulder and didn’t show the Indians much in spring-training play.

Bradley, who hit 27 homers last season, went 0-for-6 with two RBI.

Manager Terry Francona talked to Bradley about the weight fluctuation after assigning him to Triple-A camp in March.

“He got a little bit too lean last year,” Francona said. “This year maybe he went the other way a little bit. I think there’s a happy medium and he understands that.

“We had a pretty honest conversation with him about it. We tried to explain to him that we’re not trying to trying to beat him over the head. We care and we want him to have the best chance to succeed. He understands what’s in front of him.”

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2019/06/...a-columbus.html
j/c...

Nice sweep of the Tigers.

Indians are having a good month of June.

About time Bradley was called up. He was going to force their hand eventually.

They need to keep him in the lineup like Mercado.

The young pitchers have performed tremendously given all the injuries to the starting rotation.

Go Tribe!
Hmm...

Twins losing 6-1 to Royals after 7 complete.

While the Tribe scoffs at a mere wild card spot, they know the wild card philosophy:

Quote:
You don't have to outrun the bear, you just have to outrun everybody else.
Tribe wins again. They ride the league's best bullpen to the win, 3-2 in 10. Kip with the walkoff home run. Jose looks like he's starting to get back to being himself again.

Even missing 2 starting pitchers, and occasionally a 3rd, they are still hanging tough.
7.5 back
Indians huge favorites tonight.

Cleveland -250.

That means if you wanted to bet on the Royals, you bet $100 to win $250.

And conversely, If you want to bet on the Indians you wager $250 to win only $100.

I think in Vegas you buy a ticket at a window. An Indians' ticket costs you $250 and is worth $350 if Indians win. Worthless if they lose.

A Royals ticket costs you $100 and is worth $350 if Royals win.

I should mention those are the "proportions".

In other words if you wanted to bet $25 on the Indians, you gotta pay $25. (to win $10) (a $25 ticket becomes worth $35 if Indians win. Worthless if they lose.)

I'm out of breath.
Tribe up 6-3 going to the bottom of the 9th.
Welp .... so much for the lead. Brad Hand come in and gives up 4 straight singles and a grand slam. crazy banghead 8-6 KC, top of 9th. Still no one out. crazy
Tampa beat the Twins by scoring 3 runs in the 18th inning!
Indians 8 games back
July is going to be a key month:

10 games against KC (last in division)
2 games against CIN (last in division)
4 games against DET (second to last in division)
3 games gainst TOR (second to last in divison)

Only five games in July are against tough opponents in MIN and HOU.

Also, the Indians and Twins play each other another 13 times.
8-0 after 5 innings frown

Anyone going to this series? I came up from DC to see the series. Thankfully get to do it once a year (this year get the bonus to see them in DC)

Geez, Yankees only have 17 runs so far today?

https://www.mlb.com/indians/news/danny-salazar-nears-rehab-assignment?tcid=tw_article_

At long last, Salazar on cusp of return
Right-hander nearing rehab assignment; Zimmer suffers setback; Martin clears waivers

BALTIMORE -- Danny Salazar is about to be on the clock.

On Saturday, Indians manager Terry Francona said that Salazar will begin his rehab assignment on Sunday in Arizona. The right-hander is expected to throw 30-35 pitches and will likely then be transferred to one of the team’s affiliates.

“We’re not sure yet quite where [he’ll be sent],” Francona said. “But we’ll start the clock tomorrow.”

The “clock” is a 30-day window where Salazar will be able to join one of the Indians' Minor League clubs to build himself back up and get game experience before the team will have to bring him up to the big leagues. Salazar is out of options, so Cleveland would not be able to send him back down after the 30-day time period.

Salazar has been stuck at the team’s Spring Training facility in Goodyear, Ariz., since Jan. 30, 2018. His last Major League appearance came in Game 4 of the 2017 ALDS against the Yankees. He then dealt with right rotator cuff tendinitis at the start of last season before undergoing arthroscopic surgery in July. Now, 515 days after his arrival in the desert, he may finally be nearing his final days in town.

“I think what is most encouraging is that he’s antsy to get out of there, which is good,” Francona said. “But I mean, I think for pitching-wise, I think he’s like, ‘I’m ready to get [after it].’ I think that’s good.”

Zimmer’s slow progression

Outfielder Bradley Zimmer suffered a setback with his shoulder just days before he was to begin a rehab assignment at Triple-A Columbus. Since then, he’s only been able to build himself up to throw 60 feet, although he has been hitting without pain.

Zimmer had season-ending surgery on his right shoulder last July. He was making quick progress throughout Spring Training before pulling his oblique on March 23. That sidelined the 26-year-old for a few weeks. Then, he felt pain in his throwing shoulder at the beginning of June that has, once again, slowed down the process.

“We know he’s going to be healthy at some point, it’s just he’s missing the developmental time,” Francona said. “He’s missed as of now, it’s almost a full year. We need him to play.”

Martin clears waivers

Prior to Saturday’s contest, the Indians announced that outfielder Leonys Martin had cleared waivers and elected free agency. The outfielder was designated for assignment on June 22 after slashing .199/.276/.343 in 65 games.

“I mean, I don’t know about today or tomorrow,” Francona said when asked if he thought Martin would get picked up by another team. “But I think with injuries and his ability to play center field, yeah.”

This date in Indians history

1984: Brook Jacoby hit a walk-off single in the 13th inning to beat the Rangers, 13-12.

Mandy Bell covers the Indians for MLB.com. Follow her on Twitter at @MandyBell02.
Are we having fun yet?

Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Yea, wasn’t the two most exciting games to be at as a Tribe fan, lol. I decided not to go today in hope they won’t get swept, lol
I just noticed the Red Sox are up 4-2 against Yankees at 10:30 am (EST)

Then I noticed they're playing in London.
j/c:

Happy Bobby Bonilla Day!

First step goes well for Cleveland Indians’ Danny Salazar in rehab assignment
Updated 5:54 PM; Today 5:39 PM
https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2019/07/...assignment.html

By Paul Hoynes, cleveland.com

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Right-hander Danny Salazar took his first step on an official rehab assignment Sunday when he pitched for the Indians in the Arizona Rookie League.

Salazar, 29, threw 1 2/3 innings and struck out five. The former All-Star last appeared in the big leagues for the Indians on Oct. 9, 2017 when he pitched 1 2/3 innings for the Tribe in Game 4 of the ALDS against the Yankees.

“He pitched well,” said Chris Antonetti, Indians president of baseball operations. “He recovered well today. He’s on track for another bullpen session on Tuesday and then another start.”

Antonetti said Salazar’s fastball was timed at 95 mph to 96 mph.

Just where Salazar’s next start will be is still under discussion. A rehab assignment for a pitcher can last 30 days.

“We’re working through that,” said Antonetti. “Most likely it will be in Arizona for one more (start).”

Salazar could then move to one of the Tribe’s other minor league affiliates. Salazar did not pitch in a game of any kind last year because of a sore right shoulder. He eventually underwent surgery on the shoulder and he’s been recovering, mainly in Goodyear, ever since.

The Indians appear to be leaning toward bringing Salazar back as a starter. It’s been his primary role with the Indians since his big-league debut in 2013. In 108 big-league appearances with the Indians, he’s made 104 starts.

“We’ll take the next few weeks to work toward that,” said Antonetti, when asked if Salazar would start or relieve. “We’re still having conversations around that internally.”

Karinchak update: Hard-throwing right-hander James Karinchak made a big splash early this season at Class AA Akron and Class AAA Columbus, but a pulled hamstring put him on the injured list.

Look for Karinchak to be back pitching after the All-Star break. Karinchak, a ninth-round pick in 2017, has made 13 appearances this year without allowing a run. He’s struck out 32 in 13 combined innings with six saves and three walks.

Clevinger with a nice outing tonight: 6 IP, 4 Hits, 0 ER, 0 BB, 9 K.

Then Goody came in and pitched 2 perfect innings.

Tribe leads 4-0 in the top of the 9th.

Oakland leads Minnesota 3-0 going to the top of the 6th. Tribe could cut Minny's lead to 6, if things wind up as they are right now. (knock on wood)
Tribe wins, and it could be another good day for the Indians if the Twins/A's score holds up ..... 7-2 A's going to the 9th. 6.5 games back right now. Could be just 6 by the time the Twins game is over. laugh
One month ago today, the Tribe was 30-30.

Nice month.
Tribe wins, and it could be another good day for the Indians if the Twins/A's score holds up ..... 7-2 A's going to the 9th. 6.5 games back right now. Could be just 6 by the time the Twins game is over. laugh

Twins game is final
Oak - 7
Min - 2
Well deserved for the kid!

He's 7-3 with a 3.54 ERA, only 22 BB in 104 IP, and a staggering 133 K.

He's really had to step up with all of the injuries we've had in the rotation, and he's really been our ace this year thus far.

I have been on record as saying that Clevinger will be our ace before too long, and I still believe that ..... but Bieber has just been amazing this year.
Carlos Carrasco reveals leukemia diagnosis.

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2019/07/...on-station.html

God bless and get well, Carlos.
Carlos Carrasco reveals leukemia diagnosis.

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2019/07/...on-station.html

God bless and get well, Carlos.

Amen!

Fortunately it appears that Leukemia can be effectively treated with Chemo these days.
Oh man! frown
One more win, to finish the first half of the season, with a strong showing. Just before Cleveland gets showcased, on a national stage. To the tune of $65 million for downtown business.

Shout out to cookie
So, I have a question.

Why was Greg Allen sent down to the minors with a 6-game hitting streak a month ago?

Hey, Francona knows what he's doing.

Regardless, Allen now on a 7-game hitting streak. (with 4 hits today)

I believe we needed extra pitching, and we had already brought Bradley up. Allen was also only hitting a smidge (old word) over .200 when he was sent down.

Allen is certainly making his case to stay right now, though. Man what a game he has had today. In addition to his monster game at the plate today, he also has a spectacular catch in Center, as well.
Texas scores 3 (so far) in 11th inning. (Over Twins)

Do I smell 5 1/2 back at the break?

The #Indians trailed the #Twins by 11.5 games on June 3. They head to the All-Star break trailing by 5.5. They have cut 6 games in just over a month.

Game on.

https://twitter.com/Isley23/status/1148002511510560774

with 3 out of the gate with the twins to start the 2nd half
Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic said Monday that he expects the Indians to be "aggressive listeners" on Trevor Bauer leading up to the trade deadline.

Cleveland has won six in a row and is back in the thick of the playoff hunt, so trading a marquee starter might be a tough sell. However, as Rosenthal notes, Bauer is fully expected to leave as a free agent after 2020, so dealing him now -- particularly if you can get offensive help for 2019 -- might make sense. The Indians are expected to get Corey Kluber (arm) and Danny Salazar (shoulder) back in the second half and hopefully Carlos Carrasco (illness), as well. Rosenthal added that the Yankees sent their top scout to watch Bauer pitch Sunday in Cincinnati.

RELATED: New York Yankees
SOURCE: FOX Sports MLB on Twitter
Jul 8, 2019, 5:29 PM ET

https://www.rotoworld.com/baseball/mlb/player-news/headlines/9119381
j/c:

Some baseball news:

'Justin Verlander Says MLB Is Juicing Baseballs To Goose Up Offense'

https://deadspin.com/justin-verlander-says-mlb-is-juicing-baseballs-to-goose-1836199057

Best part of that video was the look on Francona's face.
(The Beiber video)
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
j/c:

Some baseball news:

'Justin Verlander Says MLB Is Juicing Baseballs To Goose Up Offense'

https://deadspin.com/justin-verlander-says-mlb-is-juicing-baseballs-to-goose-1836199057

The balls are definitely juiced. The league has admitted as much. Whether they did it on purpose or not is the point of contention.
Shane Bieber wins All Star MVP. laugh

He struck out the side in order in the 5th.
Seven in a row for the Junior Circuit.
Good for Bieber for getting the MVP but I think there were a few more worthy candidates.
Bieber’s three consecutive All-Star game strike-outs:

Willson Contreras .286, 18 homers (.381 on base average)
Starling Marte .279 (.465 slugging percentage)
Ronald Acuna, Jr, .292, 21 homers

Bring on the Yankees.
RubberDucks report: Indians’ Danny Salazar makes positive rehab start

Akron Beacon Journal/Ohio.com
July 11, 2019

Indians pitcher Danny Salazar gave up one run on two hits in 2 2/3 innings in his first rehab start for the RubberDucks in a 3-0 Eastern League loss to the Bowie Baysox on Thursday night at Canal Park.

Salazar retired the first seven batters he faced, striking out two, before giving up a double with one out in the third. After getting the second out, Salazar, who hasn’t pitched in the majors since the playoffs in 2017, gave up an RBI double and a walk before being removed from the game.

He threw 46 pitches, 27 for strikes, touched 94 miles per hour with his fastball and came away feeling good.

“I’m glad to be back in Ohio and glad to be back in this game,” Salazar said. “Making my way back to Cleveland, slowly, but we’re getting there.”

He started the 2018 season on the disabled list with a sore shoulder, had surgery last July and missed the entire season.

“The main thing for me is how I’m feeling between innings and when I go back out there, and it’s feeling really good right now,” Salazar said. “I’m so excited.”

After spending the past 18 months in Arizona, Salazar said he is happy to finally be taking competitive steps toward a return to the big leagues.

“Feeling the way I’m feeling right now gives me a lot of confidence,” he said.

The Indians have 30 days before Salazar’s rehab time expires, and he is scheduled to make several more appearances.

Salazar said he would prefer to return as a starter but just wants to pitch.

“I’ve been a starter my whole career,” he said. “I’ve been in the bullpen two times, but I just want to be back in the game, in the rotation or as a reliever.”

https://www.ohio.com/sports/20190711/rub...ive-rehab-start
Quote:
Indians’ Danny Salazar makes positive rehab start

I tried to imagine a hitter doing this to some of the great pitchers of the past, like Bob Gibson, Don Drysdale, G_ylord Perry, and others, and I can't imagine it at all because with those pitchers you would be going down from a high hard one after the second dinger, if you were lucky. If you were unlucky, you'd end up with a bruise imprinting baseball stitches into your ribs or your asscheek.

I get that this is the modern age and nobody wants to risk hurting anyone - nor should they. But come on, can you at least humor me and give him a little chin music next time he comes to bat?
Last word on Kepler vs Bauer ... Bauer's season ERA is 3.65. If you back out Kepler's 9 at bats vs Bauer (5HR, 6 RBI), Bauer's season ERA drops to 3.33.
Last word on Kepler vs Bauer ... Bauer's season ERA is 3.65. If you back out Kepler's 9 at bats vs Bauer (5HR, 6 RBI), Bauer's season ERA drops to 3.33.

THAT is crazy!
I get that this is the modern age and nobody wants to risk hurting anyone - nor should they. But come on, can you at least humor me and give him a little chin music next time he comes to bat?

I think that's the biggest wuss out move a pitcher can do. Can't get them out, so just throw at them instead and risk injury? I remember last year Acuna Jr had just come up with the Braves and was having a really hot start. He had HRs in 5 straight games, and 3 in a row from the leadoff position. He was actually one away from the record for leadoff HR. So the Marlins and Jose Arena drill him in the elbow with a 97 mph fastball. Biggest female-dog move I've seen for awhile in sports.

Bauer did the right thing. Struck him out the next time up.
I thought I was pretty clear about not actually hitting them, but a pitcher has the right to establish the inside part of the plate, and the hitters who become too comfortable leaving their elbows out over the plate need to be sent a message. And nobody ever called Bob Gibson a wuss to his face. wink
Lol. Don't lean in, you won't get some chin music.

I don't like plunking the next guy after a homer, though. It's not his fault the pitcher gave up back-to-back home runs.
I pitched in college and I never threw at a player for hitting a home run. I just tipped my hat and vowed to do better next at bat. But as a pitcher you need to be able to own the inside of the plate. The hitters lean out over the plate and get extension to drive the outside pitch. Hit the inside corner and even an inch or so in. If he dives into it that's on him.

For the record, I have thrown at hitters for going in spikes high into second base. Got to protect your players. But never threw head high.

As a senior, I was throwing batting practice and a freshman came up and did the Babe Ruth calling his shot thing. I did put the next pitch in his side. Though I did throw change up. He was my teammate after all.
Could of just given him the ol' Randy Johnson Kruk treatment.

rofl
Indians win 8-0 over the Tigers.
Twins lose 3-2 to the Mets.

Twins lead is cut to 5 games in the Central.

Go Tribe! laugh Wahoo!
The Indians haven't played yet today .... but with the Mets drilling the Twins today, we sit 4.5 games back, with a chance to make it 4 with a win tonight. laugh

Go Tribe!
j/c:

The Cleveland Indians' marketing and social media is brilliant.

The Indians haven't played yet today .... but with the Mets drilling the Twins today, we sit 4.5 games back, with a chance to make it 4 with a win tonight. laugh

Go Tribe!

Twins as of June 2: 40-18
Twins since June 3: 18-18

During the 18-18 stretch, the Twins have scored 15% fewer runs per game and allowed 23% more runs per game.

Also of note: To play .500 ball for 36 games would hardly be a disaster ... except the Indians are 24-10 in that time.

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1151631563035070464
Nine strikeouts in four innings for Mike Clevinger, fanning each batter in the Tigers' lineup once.

https://twitter.com/MandyBell02/status/1151647727538909184
4 games back!
Twins lose to the Mets ... Tribe chunking away
What are everyone's thoughts on what the Tribe should do at the deadline?

They are definitely playing good ball right now and really closing the gap with the Twins.

Rumor I keep hearing is trading Bauer as am sure everyone else has heard.

I am really torn on what they should do.
Tribe wins again! laugh

They could be 3 games out if the Oakland/Minnesota score holds up.
Go A’s
Unfortunately they gave up the lead in the 7th.

4-3 Twins. Middle of the 8th. Go A's!
Twins win, but we’re in a much better spot than a few weeks ago
Tribe is at -300 in Vegas for tonight's game against the Royals.

I think that means if you want to bet on the Indians, you gotta pay $300 to win $100. (You pay $300 for a betting slip that pays $400 if Tribe wins, zero if they lose)

In other words, Indians are huge favorites.

How 'bout 3?

The AL Central lead shrinks to three games as Minnesota falls, 5-3, to the A's
Originally Posted By: FATE

How 'bout 3?

The AL Central lead shrinks to three games as Minnesota falls, 5-3, to the A's

I'm loving it. laugh
Twins lose, Tribe wins smile
What a fun July.

T-minus three and counting.

The A’s have been hot lately. Perhaps they make the wild card interesting after all
Tribe loses 1-0 .. BUT Minnesota blows it in the 9th
We won a close one today, I think. Under 3 now. Hope we continue to bang away.
Wahooooo!! Go, Tribe!
Twins up right now, but its not over
With our win we are down 2.5 games.
Twins are still playing.

Currently top of the 8th:
Oakland 6
Minnesota 5
Twins tie it up in the bottom of the 9th.
They are currently batting with 2 outs and a runner on 3rd
Game over
Twins win 7-6
Tribe 3 back
Well THAT sucked.

Oh well, keep it up TRIBE.
Twins won the last two in dramatic fashion ... ugh
And Yanks/Twins this weeek is a big matchup
How to face leukemia:

Quote:
Carrasco is with the team working out regularly and throwing the occasional bullpen session, there is no indication he’ll be able to pitch again this season for the Tribe.

thumbsup

Danny Salazar pitched 3-1/3 shutout innings yesterday for the AAA Columbus Clippers. He had 6 strikeouts, 1 walk, and allowed 3 hits. He could end up being really valuable if the Indians get to the playoffs where starters are on a shorter leash. Salazar could provide a bridge to the back end of the bullpen in high leverage situations in the 5th, 6th, or 7th innings if his stuff is at, or near, what it used to be.
Indians win 7-3

Bottom of the 6th
Twins 8
Yankees 6
Tribe stays 3 back of the Twins.

Remember when people doubted Tyler Naquin .... as a hitter, and as an outfielder?

He's hitting .287 with 9 HR and 30 RBI since coming back from injury.

He also has 9 OF assists, which is 2nd in the AL .... in just 61 games.
Twins are a HR machine! Tribe still 3 back

Remember when people doubted Tyler Naquin .... as a hitter, and as an outfielder?

He's hitting .287 with 9 HR and 30 RBI since coming back from injury.

He also has 9 OF assists, which is 2nd in the AL .... in just 61 games.

I am guilty as charged.

In my defense, Naquin did go 0-7 in the first two games of the season with 6 strikeouts and was promptly sat in game 3 (@ Minnesota).

He was batting 3rd in the lineup.

It was a cold March day.
Indians lose 2-1 in 10 innings.

Looked like they were going to fall 4 games off the lead in the Division, until the Yankees rallied for 5 in the 8th, then 2 in the 9th to take the lead .... but then the Twins rallied for 1 in the 9th to re-tie the game. The Yankees then put up 2 in the extra frame to send the Twins to defeat.

Tribe stays 3 back.
Smoak delivers for Toronto twice ... the dude is clutch, but our offense let us down
And that Twins game was NUTS ... back and forth all night, Yanks squeak by thanks to Hicks
Tribe in control .. Twins down big

I remember a time, and it wasn't long ago, that a pitcher tossing two complete-game shutouts in a season wasn't a big deal.

Btw, does anybody else see a lot of crappy bullpen work the past few years?
Yankees 10
Twins 7
Final
2 games out of first. laugh
Twins Odrizzi was quite bad last night. Tribe gaining more steam
Two ... bwahahaha
It’d be awesome to for Kluber to come back and have us overtake Minny
Tribe keeps pace with the Twin's win with two runs in the 14th for a 5-4 win. Woohoo!
Yeah, but it was a tough go in the bottom of the 14th. AJ Cole made it a lot more difficult than it needed to be. crazy

Tribe stays 2 back of the Twinkees.
Phew, that was a win ... but draining lol
In case anyone didn't know .... the Indians are now one game out of 1st! laugh

Let's go Tribe!
ONE!
https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2019/07/...ergio-romo.html

MLB trade rumors: Trevor Bauer still drawing calls, Twins closing in on Sergio Romo
Updated Jul 27, 10:55 PM; Posted Jul 27, 9:11 PM

Kansas City has traded lefty Jake Diekman to Oakland.

By Paul Hoynes, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Teams are still calling the Indians about Trevor Bauer as Wednesday’s 4 p.m. trade deadline inches closer.

Meanwhile, there were a couple of trades in the AL Central on Saturday. The first-place Twins acquired veteran closer Sergio Romo and right-hander Chris Vallimont from Miami. They sent first base prospect Lewin Diaz to the Marlins.

Romo, 36, should help the Twins’ depleted bullpen. He’s 2-0 with 17 saves and a 3.28 ERA with the Marlins.

A few hours before that the Royals, according to ESPN’s Jeff Passan, sent lefty Jake Diekman to Oakland. Diekman went 0-6 with a 4.75 ERA in 48 games for the Royals. But he can make batters swing and miss, averaging 13.6 strikeouts (63 strikeouts in 41 2/3 innings) per nine innings.

The Royals are in full fire-sale mode. They’ve already traded Homer Bailey, Martin Maldonado and Terrance Gore. They designated for assignment Lucas Duda before Saturday night’s game against the Tribe.

Bauer isn’t the only player the Indians are fielding calls on. There is interest in Cleveland’s players at all organizational levels. One of those players is infielder Yu Chang, who made a brief appearance in the big leagues at the end of June, but is back at Class AAA Columbus.

Every player has a price tag, but it doesn’t sound like Chang is someone the Indians want to trade. With Jason Kipnis in his walk year, he could be a starter at second or third base next year. Or he could be the utility infielder because of his ability to play shortstop.

Chang, who missed most of the first half with a finger injury, is hitting .261 (42-for-161) with six homers and 31 RBI at Columbus.

The Yankees and Houston are two teams who keep inquiring about Bauer. Yankees GM Brian Cashman has said for weeks that his goal was to improve the pitching staff by the trading deadline. Houston needs some help in the back end of the rotation after Justin Verlander, Gerrit Cole and Wade Miley. Brad Peacock is still on the injured list.

Cashman told New York reporters on Friday, “I’m fully engaged with every team except the Red Sox.”

When the Yankees and Bauer’s name are connected, outfielder Clint Frazier is never far behind. The Indians traded Frazier, their No.1 pick in 2013, to New York as part of the Andrew Miller deadline deal in 2016.

Yankees starters, in a five-game stretch earlier this week, posted a 17.86 ERA. They allowed 16 homers and totaled just 21 2/3 innings.

The Indians have two choices with Bauer. The difference is a matter of timing.

No. 1: They can trade him before Wednesday’s deadline, which would reap the biggest return.

No. 2: They can keep Bauer, hoping he pitches them into the postseason, and then trade him. He’s a free agent after the 2020 season and has shown no inclination to sign a multiyear deal. One way or the other, he almost certainly won’t be wearing a Tribe uniform in 2020.

If the Indians keep Bauer, look for them to still try to add help before the deadline. Their bullpen has done a great job this year, but they could use an arm at the backend. They could also add a hitter, especially if Carlos Santana’s sore left shoulder turns into something serious.

Hunter Pence of the Rangers is a possibility, but the Indians have other hitters in mind as well.

Among the other teams who have talked to the Indians about Bauer are San Diego and Atlanta.

In other trade rumors:

*Minnesota has reportedly shown interest in Arizona lefty Robbie Ray (9-6, 3.95). The Diamondbacks entered Saturday’s game 16 games behind the Dodgers in the NL West. They were only three games out of the second wild card spot, but were stuck behind four teams.

The Twins have also checked in on Texas left-hander Mike Morossi, according to MLB.com’s Jon Morossi.

*The Mets continue to talk to teams about their front-line pitchers. MLB Network’s Ken Rosenthal says the Mets are considering trading Noah Syndegaard to the Padres. They would then use some of the return to acquire Marcus Stroman from Toronto.

They are also in conversation with a variety of teams about moving closer Edwin Diaz and Zach Wheeler, another starting pitcher.

*The Dodgers, according to Rosenthal, are considering making a push for Stroman. If they land him, they’d move a starter to the bullpen. The Astros are also interested in Stroman, who is under control through 2021. They need to be prepared if Cole walks through free agency after this season.
I like the trade the Twins made, but I still don’t think their pen is enough to win the division now
j/c...

Mike Freeman thought he was about to get drilled by Bauer firing the ball....

Another crazy hair dude!
Not sure what Bauer was thinking ... I mean, I get being frustrated, but that was so immature

Oh well, tough loss
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

Well, this is it.

The Indians' next 20 games are brutal.

Astros, Angels, Rangers, Twins, Red Sox, Yankees.

Very, very tough. Not a single losing record among them.

If the Tribe wins half of them they will be in great shape and a legitimate play-off contender and World Series threat.

Half would be great. If the Tribe goes 9-11 that's still OK. 8-12 wouldn't be the end of the world.

Over 10?

Take me to the promised land.

Phew, I didn’t realize the stretch was THAT tough
Report: Indians interested in Domingo Santana

Santana fits the Indians' needs, both short and long-term

JAMES RAPIEN
JULY 29, 2019 - 7:59 AM
Jul 28, 2019; Seattle, WA, USA; Seattle Mariners right fielder Domingo Santana (16) hits a solo-home run against the Detroit Tigers during the eighth inning at T-Mobile Park. Mandatory Credit: Joe Nicholson-USA TODAY Sports
Joe Nicholson-USA TODAY Sports

CATEGORIES: MLB Indians
CLEVELAND, Ohio –­­ The Indians are interested in Seattle Mariners slugger Domingo Santana according to Jon Heyman. Santana has posted a .273 batting average with 20 home runs and 66 RBI in 400 at-bats this season.

Jon Heyman
✔
@JonHeyman
Domingo Santana has drawn some interest, including from the Indians and Rays

3:20 PM - Jul 28, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

98 people are talking about this

The 26-year-old would give the Indians a right-handed power bat they desperately need. Santana is under team control through the 2021 season, so he fits their long-term needs and can help them in the playoff race.

Santana is far from perfect. He's struck out 135 times this season, which is the most in Major League Baseball. He also has 12 errors on the season, nine of which came in left field (three in right field).

His flaws should bring the Mariners' asking price down and his strengths are exactly what the Indians need. Santana is a plug-and-play right-handed power bat who can be the designated hitter for the rest of 2019 and beyond.

Manager Terry Francona has used multiple players in the clean-up spot this year. Santana can fill that void and do so without impacting the Indians defensively.

They have three players capable of playing the corner outfield positions at a high level with Tyler Naquin, Jordan Luplow and Greg Allen. Santana addresses a big need and does so without mortgaging the future.

President Chris Antonetti shouldn't have to give up multiple top prospects to land a flawed player like Santana. This is the type of 'win-now, while also preparing for the future' move that the Indians are hoping to find.

There will be plenty of discussion between now and Wednesday's trade deadline at 4 p.m. about Trevor Bauer's future and potential moves the Indians could make, but dealing for a slugger like Santana has to be near the top of their list of potential acquisitions.

https://923thefan.radio.com/articles/cleveland-indians-inquire-about-domingo-santana
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Not sure what Bauer was thinking ... I mean, I get being frustrated, but that was so immature

Oh well, tough loss

Good news about Kluber as well
j/c...

Well, the Tribe got some outfield power. Like Franmil Reyes. young player with really good power.

That is a HUGE return for Bauer, if true.

Puig has 22 HR and 60 RBI.

Reyes has 27 HR and RBI.

Logan is a LH-SP, and has shown a lot on the Minors, though he struggled this year. The Indians have shown the ability to develop pitchers who have had issues elsewhere .... so hopefully that will be the case here as well. He only just turned 22.
That’s a huge haul!
That is a HUGE return for Bauer, if true.

Puig has 22 HR and 60 RBI.

Reyes has 27 HR and RBI.

Logan is a LH-SP, and has shown a lot on the Minors, though he struggled this year. The Indians have shown the ability to develop pitchers who have had issues elsewhere .... so hopefully that will be the case here as well. He only just turned 22.

Just a couple comments to add to your post Ytown.

- I'm really surprised/impressed by the return we received. I knew we would get a good return for Bauer, but I didn't expect that.

- As for Puig, I'm sure he will just be a rental for this season. On paper, we technically upgraded two things with getting him. Obviously offensively we upgraded, but also our outfield defense. Puig also has one of the strongest arms in the game. Having him and Naquin in the corner outfield positions is two really strong arms. Now just have to see how long Puig's suspension will be, lol.

- Trevor's last moment with the Tribe , he throws the ball over the fence. Puig's last Reds moment is getting thrown out of a brawl. Nice, lol.

- Logan as you said is interesting. He throws low 90s and shown promise in the past going through the minors pretty quickly. What i've read, most of his issues right now is between the ears. Just has to not let his emotions take control of the game. Who I compare that to is Cookie. Cookie when he was with the Phillies had top notch stuff, but his biggest thing was between the ears and not letting his emotions take over..as they say a pitcher has to have short term memory when pitching. In the past few years Carrasco finally starting putting it together. Logan is said to have good stuff, hopefully he will mature as a pitcher. The good thing is we have so much starting pitcher depth (knock on wood) right now that he should have a lot more time to develop instead of being thrown back into the fire.

- Reyes, wow the dude has some power. Strikes out quite a bit. I'm guessing he will be our DH? The great thing about him is he is young (24 years old) and the great thing is he is controllable years till 2024. The Padres have a lot of young outfield talent and we took advantage of that.

- We also picked up two minor leaguers Pitcher Scott Moss and Victor Nova. I don't know much about them besides the minor league stats I saw.

- Last comment, adding Puig and Reyes...this should benefit our lineup. Someone (Santana?) will be seeing some good pitches to hit.
With Jose coming back around, we will have professional hitters up and down the lineup.

1) Frankie
2) Mercado
3) Jose
4) Puig
5) Santana
6) Reyes
7) Kip
8) Perez
9) Naquin

Lotta guys are going to see some good pitches.
Big time return for Bauer ... well done tribe!
With Jose coming back around, we will have professional hitters up and down the lineup.

1) Frankie
2) Mercado
3) Jose
4) Puig
5) Santana
6) Reyes
7) Kip
8) Perez
9) Naquin

Lotta guys are going to see some good pitches.

I think this could very well be the lineup, however, I think consideration could be given to switching Jose & Santana OR Santana & Puig. I just think Santana's on-base % is too good to push him down passed 4th in the lineup. The more I think about it, I'd like Ramirez-Santana-Puig. But I get the Left/Switch- Right toggle to the top of the lineup.

We'll see.

I'm still not sold on Naquin and I could see Bauers continuing to get time out there as well. Too many young outfielders not even counting Zimmer. At some point, you gotta commit to someone. Naquin is 28 & Bauers is only 23.

I think they might commit to giving Bauers more at-bats as we've seen what Naquin is and even though he has had a good month, I expect him to regress. Hope I'm wrong.
Hmm, maybe some pitching help now?
I would say our biggest need now is late bullpen help. Hand would benefit from a day off now and then. Once the playoffs start, we would have a nice 8th and 9th inning setup
Yeah, that could be the thinking. I’d also watch Arizona today .. they want to sell
Originally Posted By: Jester
I would say our biggest need now is late bullpen help. Hand would benefit from a day off now and then. Once the playoffs start, we would have a nice 8th and 9th inning setup

Sure looks like a brilliant trade.

If the trade premises work-out, this is one of the best trades I've ever seen. (If for instance, Kluber and Salazar return to form.)

Reminds me of the trade in the movie Draft Day.

The Tribe pitchers have been pitching under so much pressure this season (lack of run support - "better be careful on the mound")

The young pitchers have gotta be thrilled.
I'm thinking Bauer is redealt by 4PM and possibly to someone we'd rather he not go to. NYY possibly?
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
I'm thinking Bauer is redealt by 4PM and possibly to someone we'd rather he not go to. NYY possibly?

That trade to Cincy was a little peculiar.

They are 8 games back in their division.
Cincy will have a really good starting 1-3 for next year.
j/c:

They already had a pretty decent rotation before this trade so this trade is kind of a head-scratcher for Reds fans. They need hitters and bullpen help. Right now we have a rotation of:

Trevor Bauer

Luis Castillo - 2019 All-Star

Sonny Gray - who has been great his last 7 starts (2.93 ERA)

Tanner Roark - who has been his steady self.

Alex Wood - who was a Cy Young candidate back in 2017 and is just now coming back from the injury list.

Anthony DeSclafani - who has been a decent find for the Reds and has been hot in his last 7 starts with a 3.29 ERA

Plus young Tyler Mahle who has shown promise at times.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Reds flipped Bauer to the Yankees for prospects.

As far as The Indians' side of the deal; I get that we needed bats, but man, I just hate trading starting pitching, especially when we're already thin because of Kluber's injury and Carrasco's illness.
I thought we had next years window still open if we stood firm but now I think we begin to dismantle as early as this postseason and for sure next. Sad...
I think the Reds are honestly looking at next year and have a good group of starters now
j/c:

Dang.
Quite a crystal ball. Not sure I want Puig after last night's nonsense. We got some help. Tearing it down again?
I don't really think the Indians are in tear-down mode. I think they tried to thread the needle and be both buyers and sellers with this trade. They may very well have achieved that; time will tell if our starting pitching can keep us in contention until Kluber returns. If it can, then the trade was probably a win, because we all knew Bauer was getting traded this off-season anyway.
Great trade for the Tribe. It helps short term and also long term as well. We just need the pitching to hold up which I am confident they will.

It is going to be a very fun upcoming fall on the lakeshore!

Just imagine Tribe in the playoffs on one of the nights of the Browns prime time games.

Oh boy downtown will be crazy!
It’s the Astros to lose once again IMO
Had to LOL at Tony Rizzo interviewing Albert Belle on the RBS today. Rizzo says something about Puig reminding him of Albert back in the day, and Belle said "Don't even go there - Puig sucks.". Rizzo went into full homina-homina-homina backup mode to salvage the interview. It was hilarious. Gotta love Albert Belle, he does not suffer fools at all.
Twins up big again ... ugh
July 30, 2019
Houston 2
Cleveland 0

Trade for Puig

July 31, 2019
Houston 4
Cleveland 10 with 4 HR

Puig hasn't even gotten into the lineup yet and he has our offense in hyperdrive
good quality stat there thumbsup
Great win for Tribe last night. And for Zach Plesac.

Plesac had a subpar day, like every single rookie pitcher occasionally has and still comes away with the win. (game ERA 7.20, game WHIP 1.80)

Great developmental game for him.

Everybody talks about Puig, but Franmil Reyes is the gem in all of this.
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Everybody talks about Puig, but Franmil Reyes is the gem in all of this.

Agreed. He has power, just turned 24 a couple of weeks ago, and the Indians control him through 2024 or something like that.

Puig is a rental, IMO.
I agree. Puig won’t be here after this year. The other kid is the long range plan
Kid is an ox too! A big dude indeed!
yeah it was always about reyes and the prospects, Cincy said yeah we'll take your problem child if you take ours
Indians are huge underdawgs tonight. Vegas is nervous about Salazar's return.

Hopefully, the very hand of God comes down and guides Danny's hand to smite thine enemies.

Use this ball, Danny.
Very happy they didn't put Santana passed the 4th slot.
CLE Lineup tonight

1. F Lindor (S) SS
2. O Mercado (R) CF
3. C Santana (S) 1B
4. Y Puig (R) RF
5. J Ramírez (S) 3B
6. F Reyes (R) DH
7. J Kipnis (L) 2B
8. R Pérez (R) C
9. T Naquin (L) LF

Not too shabby.

So, the Columbus Clippers are winning it all again?

No real surprise there.

Not sure if this link will work or not as I am not good at posting these.

I thought this was a pretty classy gesture by Bauer and a video some might like to see.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/mlb/...7f-ac112eafef35
Puig certainly adds some threat in the middle there ... is his suspension pending still?
Puig certainly adds some threat in the middle there ... is his suspension pending still?

His 3 game suspension in under appeal .... but it will, IMHO, likely stand.
Okay thanks I figured

His 3 game suspension in under appeal .... but it will, IMHO, likely stand.

He'll have to serve something.
Awesome! Good for him (and the tribe)
Salazar's throwing slop ... fastball at 87 MPH. Lots of change-ups and sliders.
Salazar's throwing slop ... fastball at 87 MPH. Lots of change-ups and sliders.

Looks like a maniac too!
Bregman just hit an 0-2 change-up about 410 ft. 0-2 homers drive me nuts. You should absolutely own a hitter when you have him 0-2.
Minnesota - 4
Miami - 5
Final in 12
Not confident his career is going anywhere.
That's a shame too. Guy had some heat.
Salazar used to sit around 98 with his fastball ... now he can't break 90.
Two cut down at home. Is Puig fast enough to send there? Puig is ripping the ball though.
Lol, Clippard is a really awkward guy.
Bet he was picked on in school...
Franmil Reyes really fills the batters box.

6'5", 275...ridiculous.

I hope he's a staple here for a while. Seems like a good guy.
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
Lol, Clippard is a really awkward guy.
Bet he was picked on in school...

Yeah, he looks a little "knock-kneed".

Hey whatever. He's a world-class athlete.
Came home happy to see Minny lost
salazar is done. Time to hang it up.. I never thought he was a SP, i thought he would have been a good/great setup/closer
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
i thought he would have been a good/great setup/closer

Me too
J/c

Not good from Salazar yesterday .. hoping he can at least offer something from the pen but I doubt it
Salazar says he injured his groin in the first inning, and that it hindered his normal delivery. So in his first start in 2 years due to injury, it took him less than an inning to get hurt again.

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2019/08/...nd-indians.html
Bottom 4

LAA - 1
CLE - 7
Final
LAA - 3
CLE - 7

Top 7
KC - 6
Min - 6
Good win for the Tribe ... beating the other Wc contenders helps
j/c...

Haha so great
j/c...

Quote:
Francisco Lindor is in the market for a new jersey.

Lindor and Jason Kipnis homered during Cleveland's five-run fifth inning, and the Indians beat the Los Angeles Angels 7-2 on Saturday night.

Cleveland's rally came moments after Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield was shown on the scoreboard, sitting in a Progressive Field suite. Mayfield drank from a beer can after biting into it and showed off his Lindor jersey, leading to a loud cheer from the crowd.

Lindor says he wants Mayfield's No. 6 jersey with the Browns to return the quarterback's support.

"We all appreciate him," Lindor said. "We're all a fan of him. What he did with the beer was pretty impressive."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/recap?gameId=401076385
JC

Some family members were at the game and they said their section exploded when Baker did it ... such an infectious image for cleveland
Indians win 6-2
Twins win 3-0
Status quo today
Rookie Aaron Civale starts tonight for Tribe.

Only 24 years-old. Born right down the road in East Windsor, CT.

Civale has very good minor league stats. He’s started one game for Indians this year and did fine. (although, against the hapless Tigers)

The Texas Rangers will be much tougher.

What to expect? - Who knows?

Vegas has Cleveland at -185. That’s pretty high. A little better than ~2/3 chance of winning (66%).

Pick two numbers from 1-to-3.

Always hate to see a rookie pitch, but it's gotta be done.

Francona's a genius.
Per Tito, Carlos Carrasco to throw bullpen sessions tomorrow and Saturday. Fingers crossed, for his sake first of all, but also for the Indians and their fans. He could end up being very valuable in a set-up role for Brad Hand, health permitting.

https://923thefan.radio.com/articles/carlos-carrasco-throw-bullpen-session-cleveland-indians
Per Tito, Carlos Carrasco to throw bullpen sessions tomorrow and Saturday. Fingers crossed, for his sake first of all, but also for the Indians and their fans. He could end up being very valuable in a set-up role for Brad Hand, health permitting.

https://923thefan.radio.com/articles/carlos-carrasco-throw-bullpen-session-cleveland-indians

I know that Cookie would get a real boost out of being able to contribute to the team. Health first, but hopefully he'll be able to come back and help the team.
Two months to recover from Leukemia? shocked
Quote:
chronic myeloid leukemia

An ugly disease name.
J/c
Missed opportunity in the 7th ... minor for Texas is a good pitcher
It's amazing how "unfair" being a starting pitcher can be. Some times a guy goes out and goes 5 innings, giving up 7 runs, and winds up wining because his guys put up 10 ...... and some times a guy does as Aaron Civale did tonight ... allowing one run over 6 IP .... and loses 0-1.
Yeah, that’s why W/L is such a tough stat for pitchers most nights. A pitcher on the Dbacks would probably have a much better record if he just pitched for the Dodgers
j/c:

Wasn't Cookie put on the 60-day IL? I'm sure it was retroactive but does anyone know when he can come off it?
The good from last night’s loss:

First off, keep in mind Hunter was the third all-star pitcher the Tribe has faced in the last week. (Verlander, Cole, Hunter)

That's good. All losses, but good team experience.

Indians pitching continues to look great. Youngsters Aaron Civale & newly acquired middle reliever Hunter Wood (great name) pitched very well. They also are “signed” (“under contract”) with the Tribe for several years.

Franmil Reyes did not strike out every single at bat. (I am not a crazy optimist and am sure Reyes will have a fine September)

This is all part of Francona's September game plan.

Hunter “Zappa” Wood

Game PPD last night; double header today
It looks like a day double header too. Like the good old days.

Baseball from 1 pm to 8 pm.

Go Tribe!
Yep, the rare day-day double header!
Tribe was rained out last night, but the Twins lost. We need to sweep the double header today, and have the Twins lose, and we could be back to 2 games out.
A sweep today would be huge
Tribe was rained out last night, but the Twins lost. We need to sweep the double header today, and have the Twins lose, and we could be back to 2 games out.
Tribe wins the first game 2-0.

Twins down 7-3 after 7...
I'm spent after game one.

Is someone going to pitch game 2 for the Indians?

One of those all relief pitcher games?

I only have 18 perogies left for the second game.

Okay, halfway home! Tribe wins a close one
And I just saw that Minny is getting blasted smile
Hunter Wood looking good.

2-0 today smile
2 games out, with the Twins next.
Big series upcoming
Corey Kluber returned to the mound for the first time since May 1, making a rehab start for the Columbus Clippers on Thursday.

He allowed two runs and two hits, both solo homers, in three innings of work against the Pawtucket Red Sox.

Kluber faced 12 batters on the day, throwing 41 pitches [24 strikes]. His fastball topped out at 90 mph, which is a good sign, considering he hasn't thrown in a real game in over three months.

The two-time Cy Young Award winner suffered a broken right forearm against Miami on May 1.

Kluber faced 12 batters on the day. He issued one walk and struck out two.

The Indians are hopeful Kluber can return to the big leagues by the end of August.

https://923thefan.radio.com/articles/corey-kluber-tosses-three-innings-columbus-clippers-rehab-start
by me on July 29th:

Well, this is it.

The Indians' next 20 games are brutal.

Astros, Angels, Rangers, Twins, Red Sox, Yankees.

Very, very tough. Not a single losing record among them.

If the Tribe wins half of them they will be in great shape and a legitimate play-off contender and World Series threat.

Half would be great. If the Tribe goes 9-11 that's still OK. 8-12 wouldn't be the end of the world.

Over 10?

Take me to the promised land.

This stretch started tough with that 1-2 series against Houston. But now the Indians are at 6-3 nine games in.

These next 11 games are like a postseason run.

Very tough. Twins, Red Sox, Yankees. 8 road games.

If the Indians go 5-6 they'll be doing spectacular. 4-7 they'll be doing fine. (It won't feel that way, but they'll still be in good shape)

If the Tribe wins 6?

cleveninger melting down
JOSE! 6-2
They really put their heads down and got it back. Nice to see Jram coming back around at the right time
and Cimber comes in an explodes..ugh
Down to uno
ONE
Gosh, that was swell.

Nelson Cruz day to day with left wrist strain

MLB.com
Aug 8, 2019

By Do-Hyoung Park

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Twins lost 7-5 to the Indians on Thursday, but more significantly, they may have lost their hottest hitter -- just when they could least afford to do so.

Nelson Cruz was removed from Thursday’s series opener in a pivotal four-game set against the Indians after re-injuring his left wrist on a swing and miss against Cleveland starter Mike Clevinger during his second at-bat in the fourth inning. The Twins announced Cruz sustained a left wrist strain and is day to day.

Cruz was examined following Thursday night's game, and manager Rocco Baldelli expected to have more information regarding his slugger's condition on Friday.

Cruz swung through a 2-1 fastball from Clevinger and immediately grimaced in pain. He was examined by Baldelli and assistant athletic trainer Matt Biancuzzo before he was removed from the game, with C.J. Cron taking over as the designated hitter.

"We went out and checked on him, and he was feeling some discomfort," Baldelli said. "You could tell once we got out there that we weren’t going to let him stay in there, or try to swing or do anything like that."

That left wrist has been a persistent issue this season for the 39-year-old Cruz, who already spent 15 days on the injured list with a left wrist strain in late May after similarly exiting a game due to pain in the area following a swing. MRIs at the time did not reveal any structural damage.

Cruz was initially announced as being day-to-day with the injury, but if he were limited or sidelined for several games, the Twins would have no way to recoup the lost production from his red-hot bat, especially with no healthy position players remaining on the 40-man roster.

The designated hitter entered the game having hit 13 homers in his previous 15 contests and owned an otherworldly 1.204 slugging percentage in that stretch. His 16 bombs in the second half led the Major Leagues by a wide margin and pushed his season homer total to a team-leading 32, the second-highest mark in the American League.

He led qualified Twins hitters in batting average, on-base percentage and slugging percentage before the injury.

https://www.mlb.com/news/nelson-cruz-exits-game-with-injury
Big loss for the Twins with Cruz, even if it’s for this series
Nelson Cruz kills us, so while I don't wish injury on anyone, I don't feel sorry for them either. Not after the string of injuries and illness this year that decimated our starting staff.
I think that the Nelson Cruz strain is classic.

What I mean is he was hitting like a 25 year-old world class superstar slugger. But in a 39 year-old body.

As I've heard it put before: "The body can't continue to do what the mind wants."

Probably happens to every guy. (girls are smarter)
It appears I will be wrong, about being out 6 games, by aug 23.

For the out of towners, the game is on MLB network tonight.
Yes, MLB network tonight
Top of 5
Cle - 6
Min - 0
Finish it off boys
What sucks is that Dish is having a dispute with FoxSports Regional Networks, including STO ...... so I can't watch Indians baseball, and haven't been able to for a little while now. flamingmad
Ladies and gentlemen, the AL Central is now tied.

Tribe has a chance to go 2 up with a sweep. laugh
Who got the vibe, it’s the tribe yall
With Kip being a FA, possible replacement of Arrroyo, and maybe trading Kluber, do we have enough money for Puig next season? He seems a great fit with our team!
With Kip being a FA, possible replacement of Arrroyo, and maybe trading Kluber, do we have enough money for Puig next season? He seems a great fit with our team!

Maybe. The problem would probably be the total years.
Tied up ... I think Tribe at least splits this weekend ... that would be considered a huge success
Another big one today
Very simple key for today's game.

Plutko has pretty decent stats, except one - Home Runs Allowed.

He's averaging giving up a homer every ~ 4 innings.

That's outrageously bad.

Consider that the average runs scored per homer is 1.6. (on average, there's .6 men on base during a homer)

That's over 3 runs per game by homer for Plutko. (and does not count all the other runs allowed)

Pitchers don't last long with stats like that.

Big game for Plutko's career.

Can he subdue the current 2019 MLB team home run leader? (Twins)

PS. This is all part of Francona's "September Strategy". Getting the team ready for the fall.

There is one other statistical key - the Tribe score more runs in the game today.

Odorizzi today and Berrios tomorrow are going to be a very tough task for the Featherheads. Both pitch really well against us, plus they are going up against the tail-enders of our makeshift rotation, Plutko and Civale. If we get out of Minnesota having won 3 of 4 it will be a major success. A split would be no disgrace, under the circs.
© DawgTalkers.net