DawgTalkers.net
On Monday, California Governor Gavin Newsom signed the Fair Pay to Play Act into law. The bill permits college athletes in the state to hire agents and be paid for endorsements. For the first time, student athletes will be allowed to promote products and companies and financially benefit from their college sports activities. The legislation bypasses an National Collegiate Athletic Association’s (NCAA) ban on players receiving any compensation aside from scholarships. Current NCAA regulations disallow student athletes from executing any endorsement deals or accepting payment for the use of their images. The new California law, which is scheduled to go into effect in 2023, would now allow them to reap the financial rewards for their athletic abilities. It would also bar the NCAA from retaliating against the colleges and student athletes.

The NCAA has a lot at stake. The organization realized over $1 billion in revenue and profits of about $27 million in 2018. The NCAA—along with college sports conferences—are fighting this law, arguing that it will bring chaos to college sports and “and make unattainable the goal of providing a fair and level playing field,” according to an NCAA statement. Sports economist Andy Schwarz, a supporter of the California law, asserts that college sports are already uneven and “the belief that talent is fairly evenly distributed across the country is blatantly false.”

There are former college athletes, such as Tim Tebow, who believe that college should be about following your dreams and contributing to an institution, as opposed to a means of making some money.

In an interview with ESPN, Tebow said, "If I could support my team, support my college, support my university, that's what it's all about. But now we're changing it from 'us'...from being an alumni where I care, which makes college sports special, to then okay it's not about 'us,' it's not about 'we.' It's just about 'me.'" Tebow added, "It changes what's special about college football. We turn it into the NFL, where who has the most money, that's where you go."

We have sat on the sidelines watching college football, basketball and other sports—ignoring what’s really happening. Top universities earn fortunes from the work of unpaid kids. The monies generated are a significant part of many college’s revenues. The student athletes do all the hard work, damaging their bodies, risking concussions, losing out on study time and the schools reap billions of dollars off of them. While everyone else seems to profit, student athletes are left out without any compensation. We all view superstar athletes in the NFL, NBA and MLB and believe that college athletes too will reap large rewards when they graduate and become professional athletes. However, the sad and cruel reality is that the ones who make it big are the exceptions. Most athletes don’t become multimillionaire professional athletes. Many appreciate their college careers, but are unable to continue in the major leagues. It seems reasonable and fair to afford remuneration for the people who are actually doing all the work, which generates profits for the schools. If this law is not overturned, it will be a game changer.

In an interview with the New York Times, Newsom said, "Every single student in the university can market their name, image and likeness; they can go and get a YouTube channel and they can monetize that. The only group that can't are athletes. Why is that?"

Democratic presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders tweeted, "College athletes are workers. Pay them."

Highlighting the inequities, former USC athletic director and Hall of Famer, Lynn Swann, who earned millions, was seen signing memorabilia for $200 per autograph. Meanwhile, the USC football team was participating in their usual grueling workouts. If one of the players were to sign an autograph, they’d be summarily suspended.

While compensation from outside parties is prohibited, the NCAA allows Division I players to receive tuition scholarships and the coverage of housing, books and other expenses. The financial aid decreases greatly and is not offered to Division II and III players respectively.

There are some concerns about this new law. Mark Emmert, the NCAA president, claims that by paying football and basketball players, it would increase their visibility and draw the attention away from less-attended sports. Some say that if California moves forward with this law, the best and most talented athletes would only accept admittance into California-state schools. This would create a huge imbalance in talent. It could also spark other states with big sports programs to enact similar laws to become competitive. Seeing this existential threat, Emmert threatened to ban the state's schools from competing in NCAA championships.

An HBO documentary, Student Athlete, highlights the travails of college athletes. A former Rutgers football player is depicted working part-time jobs after graduating and sleeps in his car.

The documentary posits that those who don’t make it big after graduation would at least earn something for all of their hard work.

Former coach and NCAA critic John Shoop said, "The coaches are making millions of dollars and they're coaching players whose parents live below the poverty line." "If you're a reasonable person, it's insane to build a $150 million recruiting facility, pay your head coach $10 million, the rest of your staff $20 million cumulative, but then say there's not enough money to help the players."

The law may finally level the playing field and offer the student athletes the opportunity to be compensated for their hard work.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackkelly/2...n/#361ad1d57d02
We’ll see how the NCAA and other states react. Cool for the athletes.
I don't think the NCAA will play nice with this. I could see them banning Cali schools from the tournament.
Originally Posted By: jfanent
I don't think the NCAA will play nice with this. I could see them banning Cali schools from the tournament.

Possibly.

The biggest issue I see with this, aside from it being dumb, is next we'll hear about the swimmers that don't get any money, or the divers, or the shooting team, or the lacrosse team members, etc, etc.

Next law will be "every athlete gets paid the same",
Ohio Congressman (my district) Anthony Gonzalez is proposing federal legislation to the same effect:

https://www.si.com/college/2019/10/02/anthony-gonzalez-federal-bill-pay-college-athletes

I guess I see this as a free market solution that takes universities off the hook from having to pay a salary to ALL their athletes, like those on the fencing, crew, or water polo team. If you're a "big" enough name to merit being paid for your name or likeness, then you will be paid for it. Meanwhile, the scholarships for those athletes whose sports are not mass-consumed (like football or basketball are) will not be threatened. Why should I care if some car dealer in Columbus wants to pay Justin Fields to sign autographs for a few hours at his dealership?
Here's the problem with this:

Oh, we should pay the men's football team, because they bring in huge revenues.

Now you also have to pay the men's and women's soccer players, the Lacrosse players, baseball players, basketball players, and every other student athlete, even if they contribute nothing to the revenue for their sports.
And most collegiate sports are not self sustaining, financially.

However, to my understanding, this would be paying athletes for their representation of the school......getting money for publicity.

And the same arguments hold true. It's a dumb idea.

Edited to add: Even D3 football players get 'paid' currently. It's not called "paid", though.
Sometimes I feel like my posts are only visible to me ... oh well, moving on.
jc

not surprised seeing people mad about athletes being allowed to sign endorsement deals.

the same people who talk about the free market don't want kids to make money off of their own talent. odd.
Originally Posted By: Swish
jc

not surprised seeing people mad about athletes being allowed to sign endorsement deals.

the same people who talk about the free market don't want kids to make money off of their own talent. odd.

You must be seeing something I don't. Who's mad?
Arch.
In theory this sounds like a good idea.

When you turn on the game and see the camera pan the very large stadium packed to the brim with screaming fans.....seems the QB (and everyone) should get paid. Since they are certainly making money off of his back.

But it also feels like this is going to corrupt and change college sports.

So, I dunno.
That's kind of where I'm at.

I don't think it's fair that colleges make what they do off of the students talent and name.

But I feel like something like this has to implemented very carefully. As with all things, good and bad, there will be unintended consequences. You just hope this is thought through very carefully.
Originally Posted By: Swish
Arch.

Really? saywhat
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
That's kind of where I'm at.

I don't think it's fair that colleges make what they do off of the students talent and name.

But I feel like something like this has to implemented very carefully. As with all things, good and bad, there will be unintended consequences. You just hope this is thought through very carefully.

I completely agree with this. I don't think the colleges should pay the student athletes, but I believe they should be able to be able to make money from endorsements. Of course, a careful eye would have to be on the booster clubs to not take advantage of this.
I don't think this is "dumb" and I think some are misunderstanding it.

The colleges will not be "paying" the players. The players can make money from endorsements. Thus, we don't have to worry about the colleges paying other athletes like swimmers.

The NCAA is a corrupt organization and they exploit a ton of kids who come from poor families. I see NOTHING wrong w/allowing these kids to make money through endorsements.

The only problem I see is that it could give schools in certain states a huge advantage. I was listening to a show the other day and Marcus Spears [he played at LSU and later w/the Cowboys] was asked if he would go to a state that allowed players to make money. He said w/out a doubt.

Thus, I think that this should be adopted across the nation. Dave posted the link regarding Ohio. I have heard that states like Florida and N. Carolina are already discussing passing this, as well.
Quote:
Dave posted the link regarding Ohio.

Actually, the link I posted was about proposed legislation in the US House of Representatives. Anthony Gonzalez (former Buckeye WR) is my congressman. If his bill passes it will cover all the states in "in one swell foop".
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
In theory this sounds like a good idea.

When you turn on the game and see the camera pan the very large stadium packed to the brim with screaming fans.....seems the QB (and everyone) should get paid. Since they are certainly making money off of his back.

But it also feels like this is going to corrupt and change college sports.

So, I dunno.

I think it changed the Olympics. It used to be the Olympics were the greatest amateurs, but when they allowed the US Dream Team to compete with a star studded team filled w/professional NBA players it changed everything. But, that is also what makes it fun when teams with professional, million dollar entitled athletes & fans get beat by total unknowns from Croatia etc.
The political triumph! Voila!

Brand new set of taxpayers. Everybody feed the kitty.
I tend to agree with you. I think when a college agrees to give a kid a scholarship, they are agreeing to give the kid an education for his play. I don't think it gives that college the right to own that kids image and time away from the game.

As such, if a kid can get an endorsement deal, that's his time away from the program and they have no right to any of it or to stop the athlete from doing that.

To me it's more about the right of an athlete to make money outside of school. It's no different to me than any other job a kid in college would take.
That makes sense, and I agree with it.
Don't get me wrong Pit, the current system blows and is completely unfair to the athletes who put in the work..

but this will go sideways, there will be unintended consequences that negatively impact college sports.. we just aren't 100% sure what they are yet.
Don't forget that student athletes, who this would most benefit, already get a free ride to the school of their choice, free meals, free room and board, and so on. I do think that the NCAA should provide student athlete health insurance, (maybe a national NCAA policy, with premiums paid by the individual schools) along maybe with a very small stipend while they are in class, or involved in their sports activities. In other words, if they go home during their time off, then no stipend. It would have to be a small number, because along with providing insurance, it will take a huge chunk out of the pie. Even $50/week would cost the member schools over $1 billion/year. (figuring 460K student athletes, at $50/week, for 52 weeks) Insurance would probably double that.

I worry about endorsements for some of these young kids, because where an entity like the NFL has to be aware of deals some of their 2000 or so players might sign .....(and face it, backups and practice squad guys aren't getting huge endorsement deals) The NCAA has to watch over 460,000 student athletes. Again, not all student athletes are going to have people screaming for their endorsement, but it's a huge pool to have to police.

I don't know how they'll settle this. I do know that the NCAA will not allow a single state to force their hand, when so many high profile schools are against this. Maybe the California schools will wind up having to play each other only. I can't see a school playing a game in California, and having to provide a benefit for one week, that their student athletes don't get the rest of the year.

We'll see what happens.
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Don't get me wrong Pit, the current system blows and is completely unfair to the athletes who put in the work..

but this will go sideways, there will be unintended consequences that negatively impact college sports.. we just aren't 100% sure what they are yet.

That doesn't mean you stand pat and don't try and address it...don't try to invoke change. Just needs to be well thought out. And I agree, no matter how well thought out it is, there will be unintended consequences. The sport will either fold or the changes will continue to evolve until they get dialed in.

But it's past the point of doing nothing.
Another avenue for BangBros to get into the sports realm. wink
I don't mind the idea behind this one bit. If a big-name QB wants to trade some autographs for tattoos, who am I (or anyone) to tell him no and then drop the hammer on him. Stupid.

As others pointed out, it's easy for this to turn sour, though. Too easy to imagine boosters spinning this out of control.

But at the end of the day, anything that gets the NCAA's undies in a bundle is ok in my book.
The free (or lower) cost education & room and board, free clothing, free tutoring, stipends, and high paying cushy jobs scholarship athletes already get aren't enough?

My 2 cents - these kids and their parents are making a choice to have the kid play a sport and go to school for low/no cost. The alternate choice is to pay regular prices like the rest of us. Sure, football and basketball are the moneymakers (normally), but those programs pay for the existence of most, if not all of the other sports at the school. Start paying kids and you'll see the number of sports drop at every school, down to zero in some cases. And where does it stop - pay them and some kids will want more, others will still break the rules. Nobody is forcing you to play sports - if you choose to, take your free education and shut up
Originally Posted By: clwb419
The free (or lower) cost education & room and board, free clothing, free tutoring, stipends, and high paying cushy jobs scholarship athletes already get aren't enough?

My 2 cents - these kids and their parents are making a choice to have the kid play a sport and go to school for low/no cost. The alternate choice is to pay regular prices like the rest of us. Sure, football and basketball are the moneymakers (normally), but those programs pay for the existence of most, if not all of the other sports at the school. Start paying kids and you'll see the number of sports drop at every school, down to zero in some cases. And where does it stop - pay them and some kids will want more, others will still break the rules. Nobody is forcing you to play sports - if you choose to, take your free education and shut up

Let me guess. You are white? You were raised in a middle class suburban family? You have no athletic talent? You think it's okay for baseball players to sign out of high school? You think hockey and baseball fights are cool. You think NBA and NFL fights are the acts of thugs?

Seems like you didn't read the main article. No school will be paying a dime for the athletes. The money the school brings in will still go to the other low generating sports. The students will be free to get money outside the university, selling their likeness as they see fit.
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack

Seems like you didn't read the main article. No school will be paying a dime for the athletes. The money the school brings in will still go to the other low generating sports. The students will be free to get money outside the university, selling their likeness as they see fit.

I prefer to describe it as NOT getting bent over a table because they sold a couple autographs.

I'll admit, I didn't read it that way. My bad.

Next question from me would be: Since SOME people on here gripe about Baker, as an NFL athlete now, doing commercials and appearances for money, will that same attitude from SOME on here continue? I.E. Say the 'stud' qb from whatever California school does ads, gets perks, etc........then he has a bad game or 2.....will people gripe about that qb spending too much time with the self promotion?
Probably. People will always have different perspectives and perceptions.
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

I'll admit, I didn't read it that way. My bad.

Next question from me would be: Since SOME people on here gripe about Baker, as an NFL athlete now, doing commercials and appearances for money, will that same attitude from SOME on here continue? I.E. Say the 'stud' qb from whatever California school does ads, gets perks, etc........then he has a bad game or 2.....will people gripe about that qb spending too much time with the self promotion?

People will criticize a player after any loss, if they've collected a paycheck for a commercial or not. Some will view a 30-second spot for a local car dealership as the cause for a errand pass 6 weeks later, I don't see the connection.

Heck, the "you should have been watching tape and practicing more" works for any loss in any sport in any context. Someone has to lose and sometimes people have bad games/moments, it happens. It doesn't mean they aren't allowed to live their life the other N hours a week (unless we're expecting player X to be in the film room 24/7).
Oh, I agree.

I think you saw/see the point I was making though?
Oh, we saw it.
Don't let him derail this thread w/the personality crap he loves to pull at every opportunity.

Back to the topic:

Coach K is part of a growing list of influential supporters for this act. Check it out:

Quote:
Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski backs California's Fair Pay to Play law

Oct 8, 2019

David M. HaleESPN Staff Writer

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski is the latest big name to offer support for the California Fair Pay to Play law that will allow college athletes to profit off their name, image and likeness.

Krzyzewski provided a prepared statement at the ACC's 2019 Operation Basketball preseason event on Tuesday, saying he supported the law and encouraged the NCAA to adopt a uniform rule.

"I don't -- and won't -- pretend to understand all the complexities of such a change," Krzyzewski said in the statement. "However, it is a sign of the times that we in college athletics must continually adapt, albeit in a sensible manner.

"While we have made significant progress in recent years, we have not always responded to the needs and rights of our players swiftly, and frankly, we're playing catch-up after years of stagnant rules. I hope and trust that not only will there be a plan to put the student-athletes' best interests at the forefront, but that we'll also have a firm plan for implementation at the national level."

While Krzyzewski's comments on the specific bill in California are new, his support for improvements in player compensation echoes statements he's made in past years, including throughout last season's high-profile campaign with Zion Williamson.

ACC commissioner John Swofford noted that times have changed, but that he fears potential issues with the law.

"We need to modernize it and take a look at every angle that benefits our student-athletes," Swofford said. "We need to be careful not to unintentionally undo the fundamental aspects of [the collegiate model]."

Several other ACC coaches Tuesday offered commentary similar to that of Krzyzewski, including Notre Dame's Mike Brey, the president of the National Association of Basketball Coaches, and Louisville's Chris Mack, who said he's changed his perspective on the issue in recent years.

"Four or five years ago I might've sung a different tune," Mack said, "but a lot has changed. The money, the TV contracts, every conference has its own network now. I don't know what it looks like. I'm not an economist. And I think the NCAA has gotten a bad rap for not doing anything for student-athletes. But I am on the side that thinks student-athletes should be able to capitalize on their name, image and likeness."

California's law won't take effect until 2023; however, several other states are pursuing legislation on a more advanced timeline. That, Mack said, is more concerning than the overall rules.

"I just hope that whatever happens isn't ramrodded down the NCAA's throat," he said. "I hope politicians don't drive it so hard and fast that there are unintended consequences without a lot of thought going into it."

Brey said that, while the overall proposal is likely a step in the right direction, he believes the overall value of name, image and likeness rights for most athletes will not be significant.

"I think it's much ado about nothing right now," Brey said. "What's really the marketability of some of these guys? How many jerseys are they really going to sell? It's a great panic thing right now. I just think we can work this out and the market's not going to be as deep for everybody as we think."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket...ir-pay-play-law
I think most would have no problem with, using my example from above, if Carl Towns Chevy wants to throw $10K at the starting QB of a MAC school to run a few spots during the game.

What if some boosters use this as a backdoor to simply dump loads of cash on the players. Let's say some rich woman owns all the Taco Bell restaurants in a state and she tosses $250K at every key player that commits to the university as long as they appear at one of her restaurants one day to sign autographs.

Are both okay?
Using it as a backdoor to funnel funds to players would still be illegal under NCAA rules.

Here's my only problem with it. This will only benefit the top shelf athletes for the most part. I'm an Ohio state fan so I'll use that as an example. Players like Justin Fields and Chase Young may actually get million dollar contracts in a single endorsement deal. Maybe even more. Yet some kid from Kent state may not see a dime. So it does bring up the issue of disparity.
I believe that this kind of thing would pull top players to the schools in the biggest markets, so they could get the biggest endorsement deals. (local and other)

I wonder how the OL, who toil in obscurity, will feel about blocking for free, (or almost free) for a QB who is making millions?
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I believe that this kind of thing would pull top players to the schools in the biggest markets, so they could get the biggest endorsement deals. (local and other)

I'm not sure how you feel that's any different now. Athletes who feel they have a chance to play in the NFL find the best opportunity for them to shine in the best schools with the biggest markets. Five star recruits generally play at the best school to offer them a scholarship. Be that Ohio state, Alabama, Clemson or another top school.

There are exceptions of course. I mean if you will be third string at Ohio State or have the chance to start at a lesser school, you may consider the chance to start a better opportunity. You may want to play closer to home or go to your parents alma mater. But for the most part, if your plans are to go to the NFL you will go to the best school available to you. I don't see how this changes any of that.

Quote:
I wonder how the OL, who toil in obscurity, will feel about blocking for free, (or almost free) for a QB who is making millions?

Once again I think it's big picture. If you wish to be drafted into the NFL, rolling over and playing dead in college won't get you where you want to go in life. You'll play your arse off to increase your odds of being drafted.
You are talking about the elite of the elite of the elite.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/09/what-are-the-odds-of-making-it-to-the-nfl

If a kid chooses a college based on ability to make the nfl - which DOES happen, no doubt - but if that is the ONLY thing motivating them, they need to know the odds.
To an extent I am. To an extent I'm not. While it's true that very few ever make it to the NFL, that doesn't change the fact that it's the goal and dreams of far many more and the ultimate goal they are working towards.
Eh, I think the goal of the majority is to continue playing a game they love, while getting an education for free. Not all, by any stretch. But, too many think they'll make the nfl. Or nba, or whatever.
I too agree that too many of them have unrealistic expectations by thinking they'll be drafted into the NFL. But I do admire that at least they have goals and dreams.

But the discussion I was having with YTown was about top athletes gravitating toward top schools. I don't think this policy will change any of that. And for those you described, I think they realize their talent isn't going to lead them to commercial endorsements.

From what I could find, and it's a few years old, the OSU athletic department takes in about 20% of it's budget ($33 million) from donations and contributions... what happens when that money isn't given to the AD to use for the whole department but is used to pay off a few dozen or so football and basketball players?
I’d argue this change opens avenues for money to be paid to the players that is either already happening illegally or not at all. I’d bet the current money going to the university will be there tomorrow. If not, they’ll have to work harder for it. Where does all that TV and Big10 network money go now?
Do all Big10 (or whatever conference) teams get the same amount from the network deals?
j/c:

I don't get the uproar by some folks who don't want the players to be paid for doing things like sitting down somewhere and autographing memorabilia for an hour or two.

Just so I'm clear.............if people think that a ton of highly recruited players are not being paid by alums of big-time colleges, you are sadly mistaken. I actually think this idea is going to reduce corruption and get some guys who are are not 4 star recruits some money.
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Let me guess. You are white? You were raised in a middle class suburban family? You have no athletic talent? You think it's okay for baseball players to sign out of high school? You think hockey and baseball fights are cool. You think NBA and NFL fights are the acts of thugs?

And you whine about other people making personal attacks. Your shticks is old. Not everyone who disagrees with you is racist. You pull this crap all the time. I know 419 and he is the farthest thing from a racist. I stopped interacting with you because you have claimed many on this board are racist, including me because my views don’t align with yours. I have written this post before but always deleted it because you aren’t worth it. This time you picked on a friend (who you don’t know anything about) and I refuse to stay silent.

Btw do not pm me. I don’t care what you have to say.
Okay.

I didn't read this one no, just based it on previous articles about the same overall subject. I normally do, my bad, should have.
I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but I do wonder why some folks get upset about college players getting paid for signing autographs or for companies using their image.

I also wonder why it's okay for baseball and hockey players to sign w/pro teams right out of high school and why football and basketball players can't.

I wonder why it is okay for folks to celebrate hockey and baseball brawls, but get upset about basketball and football fights?

This is the United States of America and I have the right to express those thoughts.

I also think that minority athletes are being exploited by universities. The universities are making huge money off these players and they break academic and legal rules to ensure that the players are able to attend their institutions. Here is one article about the subject....and believe me............there are many more. I would gladly share them if anyone is interested.

Quote:
Are Universities Exploiting Black Male Athletes in Order to Raise Revenues?
A new study suggests the answer is yes.

James McWilliams
Updated:
Apr 20, 2018
Original:
Apr 19, 2018

A recent report put out by the University of Southern California's Race and Equity Center delivers some disturbing, if familiar, news about college athletic programs: They exist as mechanisms of exploitation, particularly of African-American men.

The meta-analysis, authored by Shaun Harper, an education professor at USC, concludes that "perhaps nowhere in higher education is the disenfranchisement of black male students more insidious than in college athletics." The takeaway, according to Harper, is the need for "more outrage and calls for accountability."

Of the 65 universities studied, black men comprised 2.4 percent of all undergraduates but 55 percent of football team members and 56 percent of basketball team members. Total student-athlete graduation rate was 69.3 percent over six years, and 76.3 percent for all students, but only 55.2 percent for black male student athletes. It's not as if these numbers are in the process of improving. At 40 percent of the universities black male athlete graduation rates have dropped by 6.5 percent in the last two years.

Given the formidable revenue generating force of college athletics—especially football and basketball—these figures strongly suggest racial exploitation, the kind whereby black men are used primarily for their athletic skills to generate income for universities that educate mostly white graduates for successful careers.

Harper is unusually direct about the underlying reason for the disparities his report documents. He places his findings in the deeper context of sports sociologist Harry Edward's 1984 claim that black student athletes:

[M]ust contend, of course, with the connotations and social reverberations of the traditional "dumb jock" caricature. But Black student-athletes are burdened also with the insidiously racist implications of the myth of "innate Black athletic superiority," and the more blatantly racist stereotype of the "dumb Negro" condemned by racial heritage to intellectual inferiority.

According to Harper, not much has changed when it comes to the prevalence and power of these stereotypes over the past 40 years. "This caricature and other racial stereotypes continue to plague Black male student-athletes at many predominantly white colleges and Universities," he writes, citing a slew of peer review studies to back his point.

If the disparity in graduation rates for black male student athletes is, as Harper indicates, rooted in long entrenched racial attitudes, then his call for a "sociocultural understanding of the status of Black male student athletes" is not only apt, but it may be the only way to get to the root of this problem in order to work our way out of it.

There are caveats to consider before concluding that racism is the cause of the comparative failure of black student athletes to graduate. Harper's numbers are culled from student-athletes who are on scholarship, and exclude those who may have walked on without financial assistance and possibly had a more successful educational experience.

While this limitation might overlook some black male students who graduated and played sports, the omission also indirectly strengthens Harper's argument in that it's a reminder that the figures that are included are based on students who had a high drop out rate despite being protected from the leading cause of dropping out: inability to pay tuition.

There can also be significant differences among the surveyed universities, gaps that might make the average numbers less meaningful. For example, Northwestern University graduates 88 percent of its black male student athletes; the corresponding figure for Louisiana State University is 34 percent.

The USC study has itself been the source of some criticism, mostly from conservative think tanks. Writing on the website of the James G. Martin Center for Academic Renewal, a right-leaning think tank, Shannon Watkins takes issue with Harper's sociocultural framing of racial attitudes as a leading cause of the lower graduation rates among black male athletes.

Instead, she argues that the black male students are, as reflected in their lower SAT scores and high school grades compared to the school's standard admissions requirements, relatively unprepared to deal with the academic challenges they have to face. She concludes:

[T]he problem is not that universities are intimidating or preventing black athletes from succeeding in college—it is that university officials compromise academic integrity for the sake of gaining star players.

It may be true that black male athletes granted scholarships to help their universities win games, sell merchandise, and generate media attention—that is, raise revenue—are academically unprepared next to the average student at the surveyed universities. But so what?

Watkins' argument does nothing to address Harper's fundamental assertion that deleterious racial attitudes undermine the potential of black undergraduates to succeed on white campuses. In fact, it only asks us to see the problem in a broader scope, taking careful note that the racism Harper identifies as holding down black athletes in the classroom did not begin the day they started college. When I pushed Watkins on this point, she said, "there could be [other] factors, but I don’t deal with the areas outside of higher education."

Watkins further insists "the correlation between academic success and standardized test scores, such as the SAT, cannot be ignored." But this claim, in light of Harper's study, is disingenuous—if not dangerous—when not also considered against the overwhelming evidence that a phalanx of disadvantages due to racial disparity (and racism) have led to lower SAT scores and poorer academic achievement.

The notion that the university should be some sort of meritocratic utopia ignores the deeper reason that the resort to meritocratic thinking on such an issue is especially noxious: Race matters. And it matters more than ever.

It is to Harper's credit that he joins contemporary thinkers such as Ta-Nehisi Coates and Bryan Stevenson in not only affirming this obvious reality but demonstrating that the racial legacy of slavery and Jim Crow continues to appear everywhere, even on the football field and basketball court of our favorite teams, where we rarely think about who's really winning and losing.

Tags
SportsCollege SportsAfrican AmericansStudent Athletesquick studiesHigher Education

James McWilliams is a Pacific Standard contributing writer, a professor at Texas State University, and the author of Just Food: Where Locavores Get It Wrong and How We Can Truly Eat Responsibly and a Revolution in Eating.

https://psmag.com/education/are-universi...-raise-revenues

Not sure why any of this matters, but I'll play.

You are white? yes

You were raised in a middle class suburban family? suburban yes for most of my childhood. middle class depends on the definition. my mom worked her tail off as a secretary, there were times we were on food stamps, I remember a lot of government cheese. I remember McDonalds being a special occasion. I remember not having a snack when I got home from school so my little brother could have an extra one. I don't recall missing many meals. I call that pretty lucky because I knew others worse off than we were. If that is middle class, then yes I was middle class.

You have no athletic talent? played 3 sports in high school and chose not to play collegiate. did play intramural in college and adult leagues after college. Held my own against former collegiate football players in flag football and collegiate volleyball players in both sand and court volleyball. ran half marathons and Hood to Coast averaging under 7:15/miles...I'd say that is pretty athletic compared to the average person. Unathletic compared to pro athletes. You pick.

You think it's okay for baseball players to sign out of high school? I don't follow baseball too much outside of checking the standings every so often and maybe a couple games if the Indians make the playoffs. Kudos to the kids if they're that talented to get signed, beyond that I haven't put thought into it. I can see positives and negatives.

You think hockey and baseball fights are cool. Not really, not much of an MMA or Boxing fan either

You think NBA and NFL fights are the acts of thugs? Not a fan of fighting in general

For the record, my opinion was intended to be race agnostic, sorry if I offended you in some way, there was no intent. If you want to chat via PM, I'd definitely be open to understanding what I did to trigger that response and how to avoid it moving forward.

edit: thanks for the article right above this, the numbers provided are staggering

For the record, I did not call you a "racist," even though PDawg is saying I did.

My point was that sometimes it is hard to understand the plight of others when you haven't lived their lives.

The comments you made in your OP were completely misaligned w/the information that was provided in the original article. Just a few minutes ago, I saw that you did not read the original article. I did not know that when I made my comments. Can you at least understand why I thought your comments were off-base given the information that was contained w/in the article.

I apologize if I hurt your feelings. I did not call you a racist and I didn't even mean to imply it.

I will add after reading PDawg's post that I now have a better understanding of the "Well Deserved" comment I read at some point on this board.

Y'all have a good night.
You seem like a good dude and I sent you a brief PM. When I wrote my original post, I didn't realize that you hadn't read the article. That changes things a lot. I thought you were blowing off the information provided and just bashing dudes who need the money.

I hope we are cool moving forward.
You seem like a good dude and I sent you a brief PM. When I wrote my original post, I didn't realize that you hadn't read the article. That changes things a lot. I thought you were blowing off the information provided and just bashing dudes who need the money.

I hope we are cool moving forward.

We're good man, don't sweat it. Just read the article, it'll be interesting to see where this goes.
I'm curious how this plays out, This gives schools in Cali a huge recruiting advantage. This is going to be either widely adopted or the NCAA will step in.
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Originally Posted By: jfanent

Possibly.

The biggest issue I see with this, aside from it being dumb, is next we'll hear about the swimmers that don't get any money, or the divers, or the shooting team, or the lacrosse team members, etc, etc.

Next law will be "every athlete gets paid the same",

It doesn't work that way. This law allows a player to profit from endorsements. Not every player is going to be able to do that. Only top stars will be able to make the Wheaties box cover and receive payment. It's not like the University is going to be able to pay the players.

This could however impact recruiting. A Rivals top ranked player who otherwise might consider playing for OSU or Florida might decide to take the chance and sign with a California school with the hope they do get endorsement offers.
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

This could however impact recruiting. A Rivals top ranked player who otherwise might consider playing for OSU or Florida might decide to take the chance and sign with a California school with the hope they do get endorsement offers.

I think the ideal situation would be for states to eventually level the playing field, in this regard.
It would be much simpler for the NCAA to allow this rather than try to get 49 states pass legislation. As far as I know it isn't illegal for players to do this as far as state or federal laws. It is a NCAA rule.

Now we will find out if the NCAA can indeed have rules it can enforce. I am sure they will attempt to tell California schools that if they don't want to abide by the rules of the group...group meaning NCAA members, they can withdraw their membership.

What isn't known is what the schools think. Schools can release players from their scholarship.
Federal legislation has been proposed ...

https://www.si.com/college/2019/10/02/anthony-gonzalez-federal-bill-pay-college-athletes
j/c:

This story is the kind that aggravates me. I think there is only one reason why the NCAA would not allow players to make money off of their own likeness, signing merchandise, etc. And that reason is pure greed by the NCAA!

They make a ton of money off of these kids w/out having to take away that right. Greedy ********!
j/c:

This story is the kind that aggravates me. I think there is only one reason why the NCAA would not allow players to make money off of their own likeness, signing merchandise, etc. And that reason is pure greed by the NCAA!

They make a ton of money off of these kids w/out having to take away that right. Greedy ********!

I'm not sure how this makes the NCAA greedy. In theory, it costs the NCAA nothing to allow this to happen, it's private entities paying directly to players with no NCAA involvement.
In fact it may even increase revenue if it encourages high value players to stay in the NCAA another year or two before turning pro.

I'm not 100% sure what the NCAA's motivation is, effect on non-revenue sports? Balance of power between wealthy and non-wealthy teams/fan bases? I don't know.. Whatever it is, I'm not saying they are right or wrong, but I don't see how greed factors into it.
DC, it makes them greedy because right now the NCAA is making money off of selling the player's likenesses, jerseys, etc.
DC, it makes them greedy because right now the NCAA is making money off of selling the player's likenesses, jerseys, etc.

I know they all like to say "football programs and sports don't make money!" but I'm sure college merchandise makes a good profit based on how the teams are playing.

I'm quite certain no one would buy OSU stuff if they weren't good, and the majority of people who rep buckeye stuff didn't even attend OSU. NCAA and colleges count on their sports teams to turn a little extra coin.

It's sickening.
j/c:

I'm not sure how this makes the NCAA greedy. In theory, it costs the NCAA nothing to allow this to happen, it's private entities paying directly to players with no NCAA involvement.
In fact it may even increase revenue if it encourages high value players to stay in the NCAA another year or two before turning pro.

I'm not 100% sure what the NCAA's motivation is, effect on non-revenue sports? Balance of power between wealthy and non-wealthy teams/fan bases? I don't know.. Whatever it is, I'm not saying they are right or wrong, but I don't see how greed factors into it.

I think it's more about control. In the current system, a player good enough to potentially get into the NFL must go to a power 5 program, and maybe even one of their preferred teams (ND, OSU, Bama, USC, etc.). The system is setup to favor those teams and keep them on TV.

If a player from Idaho can stay in Idaho and get paid, even a 5 star recruit, it gives the player and booster more control. The NCAA has all of the control right now and losing even a bit is scary to them.

Heck, as you mentioned, the NFL stands to lose control too. If that Idaho player is making nice cash, why does he HAVE to go to the NFL at the earliest opportunity. Maybe more players stay an extra year or two because being a dominate NCAA player is better for their brand. If players are staying longer, that would thin out the draft and put a bit extra wear and tear on players before the NFL gets them.

Look, I think the NCAA of a horrible organization, but what do we all expect them to do? Give up? They're running this cash cow business and they've been trying to keep it going for the sake of the sport (and the cash). Changes could be made over the next few decades that devalue college sports (the NBA is looking to lower the draft age to 18 again). They have to keep fighting or they could turn into minor league baseball (okay, that's a flimsy prediction but you get my point).
I understand why the NCAA doesn't want to pay their players. It's almost impossible. A starting LB on Toledo isn't worth the same as the starting LB from Alabama. Heck, the Bama LB is probably worth $5M/year. How do you set up that payment structure? And any money going to the players takes away from the men's water polo and women's power-lifting teams.

I know the players should be paid, but I think it's too complicated if the NCAA is writing the checks. Maybe it's perfect to have the players to get money from the outside, but like my post above, the NCAA loses the control, there are heavy corruption problems and it could damage the sport in quite a few ways.
The NCAA wouldn't be paying anyone. Did you read the thread?

It would allow players to profit from the likeness and endorsement deals only.
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
The NCAA wouldn't be paying anyone. Did you read the thread?

It would allow players to profit from the likeness and endorsement deals only.

Yeah, I'm aware. I've already said that to someone else in the thread. smile

I brought up them paying to illustrate how it could never happen. This is the scenario that works for all sides:

1. It's based on the player to decide if they want money while in college
2. Any sport and any player can benefit. If Al's Toy Barn wants to give $30,000 to the women's softball team, no problem.
3. The NCAA doesn't have to do a single thing differently, heck, they don't even have to govern the transactions (although someone might).

The only bad thing is how it may change college athletics, which we don't really know how it will change, yet.
I actually feel it will force other states to adopt the same policy. If states believe their teams will lose top athletes to other teams like in California, they won't wish to risk that. And how do you see paying a player for an endorsement the same thing as someone giving money to a team?

But I believe athletic boosters already do that.
I actually feel it will force other states to adopt the same policy. If states believe their teams will lose top athletes to other teams like in California, they won't wish to risk that. And how do you see paying a player for an endorsement the same thing as someone giving money to a team?

Pretty sure he meant girls softball PLAYERS, not the whole team or the athletic department..

Pretty sure he meant girls softball PLAYERS, not the whole team or the athletic department..

Well, we don't know how any of this will work yet, so it's still brand new. However, let's keep it simple for example 1.

- Al's Toy Barn has $30k to blow in advertising, they like women's softball and want to support the team. They could approach the players and offer an even $30k split if they appear at the toy store a couple days during the season, sign autographs and be on a few cable ads.

Questions:
1. Can they wear the university uniforms during the appearances/ads?
2. If it were Al's ADULT Toy Barn, could they still do it?
3. Do they get the cash right away or does it go into escrow until after they graduate?
4. Would that affect their amateur status if they wanted to play for the Olympic team?
5. What if one of the players opted out of the cash but still appeared in the ad, could they still go to the Olympics?
6. Could a different player refuse and sign a separate deal with Jenny's Game Depot across town?

I suppose Al's could also donate straight cash to the university athletic program and maybe even the only to the softball team, but I'd believe those would be separate transactions (one with the university and one with the players agents - assuming they can sign with agents now).

- And for example 2, what's to stop an Alabama billionaire hedge fund owner tossing $5m at a LB to "represent" his company so he can play for the Tide? Wouldn't that be the same thing, but for one player?

- Maybe example 3 has Nike contacting player X in high school and offering $5m/year if he signs with Oregon and must stay for all four year. Is that okay?

And yes Pit, this will have to be in each state. I think someone posted in the past few days that a bill was recently proposed at the federal level to do the same thing. Meaning, this is happening across all states and soon.

Good for the players, but I worry if we're going to like it as fans 5-10 years from now.
j/c:

When an Ohio State game jersey is sold, who profits off of it other than the manufacture and the distributor? When posters are sold w/player likenesses on it, who profits on the sales other than the manufacture and the distributor? I could go on and on and on. But, I hope y'all get the point.

Why should the NCAA be the benefactor of cashing in on what the players are accomplishing in addition to ticket sales, mega TV deals, attention for their institutions, etc while a ton of poor black kids don't receive a dime for any of those things?

Exploitation. It's one of the forms of racism that I despise the most.
I don't know the answers to your questions other than, I don't think the Olympics really cares about your amateur status any more...

A more realistic example would seem to be, Al's Toy Barn typically gives $100K a year to the athletic department of FU. Al's really only passionate about basketball so this year he divides the $100K in half to recruit and give directly to two 5-star basketball players.. now, women's softball is negatively impacted because the overall funds of the athletic department are reduced..

Example 2 pretty much captures what I'm saying.. other than the fact that I got a chuckle out of the Alabama hedge fund manager..

Example 3 poses an interesting challenge.. Nike has contracts with certain schools.. Under Armour does too.. Adidas has some.. are they allowed to play in this game? Could Nike have just given Zion Williamson his shoe deal coming out of high school IF he attended a Nike school? Seems like it meets the letter of the law to do that...
They probably will if the NCAA loses when it tries to exclude any team that has players receiving payment from post season play, if not season play..

As a private organization that teams choose to join, it can have it's own rules that members must follow.

I understand my above point will have to be litigated and adjudicated several times over.
Very true. Just like when states started legalizing recreational weed and the NFL quickly sent out notice to the teams.. THEY had not changed their rules.
The Push for Player Pay Goes National

Days after California enacted a law allowing college athletes to sign endorsement deals, lawmakers in other states and in Congress threaten legislation to advance player compensation.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2019/10/04/us-congressman-propose-college-athlete-payment-bill

This will be the snowball effect that the NCAA will be powerless to stop.

Banning all the best teams in the NCAA will not be an option.
I think the power 5 has been on a course to separate from the NCAA for some time. The NCAA will still have a strong foothold in the other conferences.

If they do in fact get overruled that they can't prevent players from seeking compensation from endorsements.
J/C

This just in....

NCAA Votes to allow players to earn money from likeness.

NCAA Football should be back on game consoles near you! lol
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
J/C

This just in....

NCAA Votes to allow players to earn money from likeness.

NCAA Football should be back on game consoles near you! lol

The beginning of the end of the NCAA.

(That is a good thing.)
With other states considering legislation allowing this, it was a snowball moving downhill they simply couldn't stop.
It would be the first since NCAA Football 2014. This would be BIG.
© DawgTalkers.net