DawgTalkers.net
Damn, I hope somehow this isn't true.

https://nypost.com

Kobe Bryant reportedly killed in California helicopter crash

Legendary NBA player Kobe Bryant has died in a California helicopter crash, a report said Sunday.

He was 41.

Bryant was among at least four people traveling in his private helicopter over Calabasas when a fire broke out, sending the chopper spiraling from the sky, according to TMZ Sports.

There were no survivors, and the cause of the crash is under investigation, according to TMZ.

Bryant’s wife, Vanessa, was not among those aboard the chopper, according to the report.

Bryant starred for two decades with the Los Angeles Lakers, winning five championships and making 18 All-Star Games before retiring after the 2016 season.
Woj just confirmed it. Sounds official. Very sad
Just shows that no one ever knows when it's their time.

My prayers go out to his family and friends.

Source: Kobe Bryant among dead in helicopter crash
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28569438/kobe-bryant-dead-helicopter-crash

Los Angeles Lakers legend Kobe Bryant is among five people killed in a helicopter crash in Calabasas, California, a source confirmed to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

The crash comes one day after Bryant was passed by Lakers forward LeBron James for third place on the NBA's all-time scoring list. As late as 10:39 p.m. ET on Saturday night, Bryant was active on social media, congratulating Bryant on Twitter during the Lakers 108-91 loss to the Philadelphia 76ers.

James inscribed his sneakers with "Mamba 4 Life" and "8/24 KB" in gold marker before the game, showing respect for Bryant, an 18-time All-Star with the Lakers who is eligible for the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2021. All week, in the lead-up to the milestone, he was quick to laud Bryant.

"It's another guy that I looked up to when I was in grade school and high school," James said. "Seeing him come straight out of high school, he is someone that I used as inspiration. It was like, wow. Seeing a kid, 17 years old, come into the NBA and trying to make an impact on a franchise, I used it as motivation. He helped me before he even knew of me because of what he was able to do. So, just to be able to, at this point of my career, to share the same jersey that he wore, be with this historical franchise and just represent the purple and gold, it's very humbling and it's dope.

"Kobe's a legend, that's for damn sure."

A 6-foot, 6-inch small forward with the ability to swing up front and play point or shooting guard, Bryant entered the NBA straight out of high school. In 1996, he became the youngest player in NBA history.

He won five NBA titles in his time with the Lakers, as well as two Olympic gold medals playing for the United States. Now fourth on the NBA's all-time scoring list, with 33,643 points, Bryant won two NBA Finals MVP awards and one NBA regular-season MVP nod in 2008.

A native of Philadelphia, Bryant was selected No. 13 overall in 1996 by the Charlotte Hornets before being traded to the Lakers. He wore both No. 8 and 24 with the Lakers, both of which were retired by the franchise.

"I'm happy just to be in any conversation with Kobe Bean Bryant. One of the all-time greatest basketball players to ever play, one of the all-time greatest Lakers," Bryant said Saturday night. "The man got two jerseys hanging up in Staples Center. It's just crazy."

On November 29, 2015, Bryant announced that he intended to retire at the end of the season, which launched a farewell tour for the ages around the NBA. He played in 66 games that season for Los Angeles, averaging 17.6 points, 3.7 rebounds and 2.8 assists.

In his final game, on April 13, 2016, he scored 60 points, leading the Lakers past the Utah Jazz 101-96.

Bryant's death was first reported by TMZ.
One of the greatest basketball players ever. R.I.P Kobe.

Confirmed.

Sad.

Great player with so much in front of him to live for.

Tragic.
Unreal. Sad news.

I remember my youngest son watching his final game of his career with me where he scored 61 points.

His last tweet after LeBron passed him just last night on the all time scoring list...

Man, terrible.

Terrible for all involved and their families.
I'm pretty much a Laker hater, and this is just crushing news. Can't believe it. frown
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
I'm pretty much a Laker hater, and this is just crushing news. Can't believe it. frown

Same here. Didn't know how to say it like you did.

They are reporting the second oldest daughter I believe was also with him.

Oh man.
Yes. I was shocked when I read this. He had what most everyone thinks would be a great life: Fame, money, family, a life of ease. (I won't go into any indiscretions there may have been.)

He woke up this morning, like all of us, with plans for the day. And now he's dead. No age is a good age to die. Again - not something I expected to hear. Nor did anyone else.
I've been watching the coverage on TV. Very sad news indeed. Just at the point where he could choose to relax and enjoy the fruits of his labor, tragedy strikes. My sympathy goes out to his friends and family.
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
They are reporting the second oldest daughter I believe was also with him.

Awful...

Living in LA my whole life Kobe has been a giant. He got drafted as a teenager and people got to see him grow up. And then he never left. He's basically apart of people's families here. I've never seen anyone defend a person as hard as I've seen people defend Kobe here in LA.

Even more tragic than the loss of Kobe is the loss of his daughter. These are the worst kinds of stories.
j/c...

Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Living in LA my whole life Kobe has been a giant. He got drafted as a teenager and people got to see him grow up. And then he never left. He's basically apart of people's families here. I've never seen anyone defend a person as hard as I've seen people defend Kobe here in LA.

Even more tragic than the loss of Kobe is the loss of his daughter. These are the worst kinds of stories.

Listening to Sports talk right now is rough. People are crushed.
Just devastating
I'm still yelling Kobe when i shoot the J. RIP
j/c...

Devastating...

Praying for his family ...
I heard reported on the golf tournament, his 13 year old daughter was with him.

So sad.
This is just terrible, and it hurts my heart. RIP Kobe and to all in the crash. frown
So sad.... just unreal....
His fame surpassed the sport. A true international icon
So horrible to hear about this. RIP to all who lost their lives and condolences to their families.Reminds me a little bit of Roberto Clemente's death in a plane accident in 1972.
Awful news. Prayers.
I'm shocked ...right now, my emotions are similar to how I felt when I heard the news that we lost Dale Earnhardt.

My thoughts and prayers...
j/c...

My goodness, seems like poor visibility due to fog and just crashed into the side of the hill/mountain...

Orange Coast College baseball coach John Altobelli among helicopter crash victims
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2857...r-crash-victims

Orange Coast College baseball coaching legend John Altobelli, his wife, Keri, and their daughter Alyssa were among the victims in Sunday's helicopter crash in Calabasas, California, that killed NBA legend Kobe Bryant.

Altobelli was a coach at OCC for 27 years, leading the Pirates to four state titles and notching more than 700 wins. He was 56.

"John meant so much to not only Orange Coast College, but to baseball," OCC athletic director Jason Kehler said in a statement. "He truly personified what it means to be a baseball coach. The passion that he put into the game, but more importantly his athletes, was second to none -- he treated them like family. Our deepest condolences go out to the Altobelli family during this time of tragedy."

ESPN's Jeff Passan spoke to Mets star Jeff McNeil, who played for Altobelli in 2012, when Altobelli managed the Brewster Whitecaps, a collegiate, summer baseball team in the Cape Cod League.

"He's one of the main reasons I'm still playing professional baseball," McNeil told ESPN of Altobelli.

McNeil said he had a poor first two years at Long Beach State. His coaches there asked Altobelli to bring McNeil to Brewster anyway.

"He took a chance on me, kept me the whole summer. Him taking that chance on me, having me on his team, got me drafted," McNeil said.

"He made you believe in your ability. I remember when we first got to the Cape, he said, 'You're here for a reason. You've just got to believe you can do it. If you want to steal, steal. Play your game. Do what you guys want to do. Enjoy it. Have fun with it. This is gonna be one of the best summers of your life.'"
Evidently there were 9 people killed in this accident.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/rick-...t-eight-others/

Kobe Bryant's tragic death Sunday led to quite a bit of scrambling on the part of reporters anxious to get every detail first. During that process, a number of elements of the helicopter crash that led to Bryant's death were incorrectly reported and later proven to be false.

One such detail involves the presence of Bryant's former teammate, Rick Fox, on the helicopter that crashed. While the origin of the rumor that Fox was one of the passengers in the crash is unknown at this time, that false information spread quickly across social media. Later Sunday, a number of reporters confirmed that Fox was not in the crash. Jared Greenberg of NBATV spoke with Fox himself and confirmed that he was not involved.

"At this time, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department has only revealed that there were nine people on the helicopter at the time of the crash. Those people have not yet been identified, though various sources have confirmed that Bryant and his daughter Gianna were among them. Separate reporting has also confirmed that John Altobelli, a baseball coach at Orange Coast College, was onboard the helicopter alongside his wife, Keri, and daughter, Alyssa."

Despite the falsehood of the rumor, Fox is still trending on Twitter as of this writing. While tracing the belief back to its source would be impossible at this point, the mere fact that his name became entangled with Bryant's death prematurely points to the irresponsible manner in which some reporters have handled the news. A number of falsehoods about passengers on board the helicopter have spread through social media.

Until the Sheriff's Department receives a report from the coroner, it will not publicly reveal who was on the helicopter with Bryant. It has been confirmed, however, that Fox was not among them.
https://preview.redd.it/ji4z1g88g8d41.jp...0209e1e790f60a7

MBS in the Purple and Gold for Kobe. <3
j/c...

He was an assassin on the court, an unparalleled competitive drive.

It’s was his grind, his work ethic that took him to heights.

We should all be so fortunate
j/c...

Kobe's Birthday Gift to Vanessa
RIP
So many touching tributes, from both the world of sports and outside of it
Saw this on Facebook yesterday,, Had to think that at first, can't be. But it was true..

RIP Kobe and GG and the rest that perished in the crash
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

My goodness, seems like poor visibility due to fog and just crashed into the side of the hill/mountain...

That's not really the black box recording. That's the tower recording.

This eye witness account explains what I think happened. It looks like the helicopter was in the fog about 1400 feet up and then got clearance to cross the canyon. Then took off straight into the hillside at 184 mph... It seems to me like someone in the control tower might be at fault here as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28QYy8lrww8
It was unusually foggy yesterday. My wife and daughter went out early and commented how crazy the fog was, and we're quite a bit inland from Orange County.
I live in San Diego. I know the golf tournament was postponed due to fog on Saturday. These are pictures I took of the fog Friday morning and Saturday morning.

https://imgur.com/7IUYpmV

https://imgur.com/JfwtIPe

As I watched my wife drive off this morning to take my son to daycare today, I couldn't help but reflect on what happened.

A million things can go wrong in a single second - drunk driver, speeder not paying attention, texter not looking at the road, etc.

I have made it a ritual to tell my son and wife every morning goodbye with a hug and a kiss. Even if my wife and I are fighting, its something I (we) always do. With that in mind, I still take that for granted at times and don't really reflect on it as much as I should, or did today. The hug and kiss I gave my family today will weigh on me for a long time, knowing that that precious girl will never get to say goodbye to her mom again. The only solace I have was that she was with Kobe whom I am sure held an comforted her in the last seconds. At least she had that, not everyone does.

Go home today ladies and gents, hug your kids and kiss your wife's/husbands. If your kids are older, call them. Tell them you were just thinking of them and wanted to say "hi". And when your conversation is over, make sure its the greatest and most heartfelt goodbye you have ever given them. Because one day, no matter what, it will be. So make each one count.
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
It was unusually foggy yesterday. My wife and daughter went out early and commented how crazy the fog was, and we're quite a bit inland from Orange County.

The emergency response helicopters weren't allowed to respond because visibility wasn't good and the cloud cover was too low
j/c:

Kobe was not one of my favorite players. In fact, I used to take some odd satisfaction in not liking the guy. With that said, I always knew he was a great, great player who had the heart of an assassin.

The moment was never too big for Kobe. When the game was on the line, you knew he was going to take the shot. You just had to pray he missed it. He missed quite a few, but the guy had the mentality that he was always the dude who should take that shot.

He wasn't always likeable. He wasn't always a great teammate. However, he had a mentality and a drive to be the very best to ever do it. He didn't quite reach that pinnacle, but he is one of the greatest of all-time.

While he was blessed w/superior athleticism and skills, his heart was even greater than his skill set. He played like he always had something to prove. He's got 5 'Chips. Three were w/Shaq, but he won 2 more later on.

I think his huge dedication to details and perfection drove him to great heights. Those attributes also exposed some of his faults. He rubbed people the wrong way. He was somewhat arrogant. He wasn't buddy-buddy w/teammates.

Thus, I don't think he was a happy man during his playing days.

Ironically, he was much more happy after leaving the game. He wrote children's book. He won an Oscar for a film. He was highly involved in championing women's rights, especially in sports. He was able to enjoy his family a lot more.

I was looking at some of the photos of him and his daughter Gianni. He always had his arm around her. Protective, teaching, enjoying, and loving. That's an image that burns bright in my mind.

I don't want to think about the image of what he did when he realized the helicopter was going down. However, I can't help but not think of it. I imagine he embraced his beautiful daughter, consoled her, and prayed that God would take him and protect his daughter. It's a complex image that is both inspirational and haunting.

I think the world lost a great man yesterday. I hope that the world also learned a few valuable lessons from both his life and death.
Prayers to the families of all the lost ones...

Gone to soon. Smh.
Right, they weren't already in the air and a chopper was down due to visibility.

The only call that could be made.

Once it became clear the pilot couldn't get above it or under it, you can't just hover for hours. You have to make a call.
I want to say more...

I am not the most eloquent speaker and I feel very exposed because I can't find the proper words to express how this particular helicopter crash has affected me in particular and the world in general.

I really like what will wrote. I think he nailed it and I won't repeat what he said, but I will say I would have mentioned many of the same things had he not said it first.

Reflecting on the crash literally, figuratively, and more specifically--metaphorically is almost inevitable.

In life, we can be flying so high and suddenly a bit of turbulence can result in us crashing down to earth. We can have it all and then we can have nothing at all. We can soar and we can crash.

What is this thing that we call "fate?"

Is it the great equalizer? Is it a reminder of our own mortality? Is it something we have invented to explain the events in our lives that can't be explained?

What should one take away from this horrific tragedy? Surely, most of us can relate to what will so eloquently stated. Perhaps we have learned to not take things for granted. Perhaps we understand just how insignificant our lives are in this world. Perhaps we can find the determination to live our lives to the fullest and press forward to be the best we can possibly be. Perhaps we can admit that we don't like to think about our own immortality and what lasting impressions we have made on the world because we would not like the conclusions that would be drawn.

If you were to leave this world today, would you be okay w/the life you have lived? Would you be okay w/your legacy?

Should we ask those questions every day?

Would our lives change if we did ask those questions each and every day?

I want to know. I want to feel. I want to be. I don't want to just exist.

I think Kobe was a champion of those feelings. He was all about taking control of your life and doing everything possible to be the very best that you can be. That is a great example for the world to follow. I swear to God that every person I heard who spoke of him today echoed stories about how Kobe pushed them to take control of their own lives and to be the best that can absolutely be.

So yes, let's learn from his death that life can take a tragic turn in an instant. And let us learn that taking charge of one's own life while he/she has the opportunity do so is an endeavor certainly worth pursuing.
j/c...

Very cool...

Good stuff. Glad I clicked. thumbsup
He wasn’t always classy, but I feel bad that he and his daughter died too soon.
Top 5 at least.
Worth the watch...

Wow, wow, WOW.

That'll be enough of that bro. cry

Pretty much says all you need to know about the man. And we all thought the "mamba" was the gift.
That’s a sad, but telling clip
Vers - Very well stated. I feel like you added a lot of what I wanted to post but just couldn't find the words to write. Thank you for adding/sharing them to the thread.

J/C

I have been reflecting a lot since Sunday, watching all the tributes from the NBA, seeing Kobe's fans remembering him. I never considered myself a Kobe fan, well - because I was always fighting everyone saying that LeBron was the better player and arguing against him. Calling him a ball hog and saying LeBron could score 80 if wanted too, but he rather win the game than get the accolade for shooting the ball.

Honestly, I didn't want to really post about Kobe the basketball player - as you could tell he was a Father first and foremost. He explained once why he flew by helicopter around the city. The dude literally traveled by Helicopter so he could be able to pick his kids up from school everyday, and still have time to work on his craft. It wasn't to be elitist, it wasn't because he thought he was more important than everyone else. He valued the 20 min ride with his kids. That hits home for me, because I do similar things. I try to schedule time where its just me and him. That 1-1 time is the most important thing I can give my son.

I apologize for these post if it sounds like I am being too sappy or anything. This event has just really hit home to me. Maybe its because I watched this dude even if from afar since I was 9 years old. Maybe its jut the horrific way of their passing, knowing that this precious little girl will never be able to say goodbye to her siblings or her mommy again. Or maybe its because I am sitting here thinking, how it would feel, knowing that I could do NOTHING to protect my child in that event, and that nothing I say or could do would prevent harm to him. Just thinking about that makes me sick to my stomach. Every parent can relate the first time their child gets hurt - whether they fall and bump their head, or the first time they are sick. How much it hurts you that they are ill or in pain, is indescribable to someone that doesn't have children. And to sit here, knowing that as a father he had to sit there while his baby screamed and was terrified - to me, I feel like that would be worse than the actual outcome.

I cant get over that part of it. I am shook.

Edit to add:

I think part as well for me, was Saturday night.

My wife and I don't do much. We don't go out with friends or go to bars, etc.

She had scheduled a long time ago to go to a concert with her friend, and I needed to get some things done around the house and had a bowling tournament in the afternoon. So my mother graciously offered to watch my son and keep him overnight. DANG! A legit free night by myself. It has literally been 6 years since the last time I was completely alone on a weekend night. I very much looked forward to it. I ordered a pizza, watched a movie, played some Xbox. It was great. But about 3 hours in, I remember thinking to myself - this FEELS odd. I wasn't comfortable. I couldn't quite enjoy it as much as the thought of having the night alone felt. I was lonely. I missed my son and wife.

Sunday, after the news broke, I instantly thought about being excited that I was going to be alone by myself the night before, and I felt this tremendous guilt because of what happened. What Kobe wouldn't give to another day with his daughter. What his wife would give to another day with the two of them. I felt awful for feeling excited about missing time with my family the night before.

The thought of this makes my heart hurt for Mrs. Bryant. Think about that, think about the people you see everyday and love, and that they will NEVER be there again to see at your dinner table. . . . .
Great story...

Impressive...

Great post, definitely words to ponder about appreciating the ones you are closest to.
Well done, man.
Let me start bysaying I'm not a Basketball fan at all.

I don't get all this love for Kobe.He was a great player granted but wasn't he a rapist? Didn't he Rape a maid in some hotel? Didn't he buy her off with big money and then buy his wife a hugh diamond to forgive him. I know he made all the Libs cry. Ellen,Fallon, Kimmel but what am I missing. If he iwas such a great guy. What is the difference between him andWeinstein 0r Epestein? I'm not trying to be a jerk but I don't get it.
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty

I don't get all this love for Kobe.He was a great player granted but wasn't he a rapist? Didn't he Rape a maid in some hotel? Didn't he buy her off with big money and then buy his wife a hugh diamond to forgive him. I know he made all the Libs cry. Ellen,Fallon, Kimmel but what am I missing. If he iwas such a great guy. What is the difference between him andWeinstein 0r Epestein? I'm not trying to be a jerk but I don't get it.

I get it, but to be honest, I didn't care for the guy. I feel badly for his family and feel sorry he died in a air traffic accident next to a young daughter, but no, I have no feelings much beyond what I just expressed.

I hope he finds Heaven.

The "rapist" label is a little difficult. He thought it was consensual, she apparently didn't. We honestly will never know one way or the other. The thing is he completely reinvented himself afterwards. He cut out a lot of the superficial things in his life, became a lot more spiritual, and a much better guy afterwards. There is story after story of him quietly doing all kinds of little charity things, like where he would show up in a hospital room unannounced and visit a kid with a terminal illness. Never asked for anything in return except that they keep it quiet so the press didn't show up.

At one point his wife filed for divorce, and he said "No, I made a promise to you, and we're going to work things out." She later pulled the petition and they've been married since, having a few more children as well.
Wow
I have mixed feelings but i always end up thinking about how he owned it and admitted after hearing her and reading her testimony he could see how she thought it was forced ...

then as u said he became as good a human being as hoopster ... like u said lots of charitable acts he never wanted let out ...

They were all way to young .... RIP all of u ...
Quick summary: At best, he only cheated on his wife. At worst, he forced a consensual woman to do a very specific non-consensual act against her will.

As for the cheating, if his wife forgave him, I don’t think that’s something we can hold against him. People make mistakes and that mistake wasn’t against us, so it’s not ours to worry about. Plus, the worst mistake of your life doesn’t normally make global news.

The details of the incident are all here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_Bryant_sexual_assault_case

Ultimately, something happened during an encounter that was 90-something percent consensual until the end. What was the tone during that last percent is what we’ll never know. Was it completely clear that she refused, what was his knowledge of her refusal and did he hurt her on purpose? How does she explain wearing underwear that had another man’s semen on it to the police station the next day? Why was she bragging about hooking up with Kobe to her friends? Why was she telling her friends all the things she was going to buy with the settlement money?

I’m not trying to bash the girl, but those questions are tough to answer especially since she knocked on his door and wanted to hook up with a celebrity.

He wasn’t convicted (she refused to testify which is important in a “he said/she said” kind of case, plus, the other details I mentioned forced the case to be dropped by her attorneys). The settlement doesn’t really prove anything either way. It looks terrible though.

The girl in question refused to testify after the fact and the case was dismissed. What really happened we will never know. But I take it for his word after the case was dismissed. he stated it was consensual (and from what I remember she agreed at first it was as well), but realized hearing her tale and seeing her emotions, she may have changed her mind during - there is a lot of questions as to the fact if she said anything to him to tell him that.

I believe if you actually watch the press conference afterwards of him speaking about it - he truly felt that is was a misunderstanding and was hurt that he may have hurt her unintentionally.

What we do know about Kobe, is that after the case was over - there was never a single allegation against him. There was never another whisper of him cheating, let along anything inappropriate.

I like how you try to put a stab in there to "libs". Which shows you are generally just trying to get a rise out of people with this. He didn't "buy her off" either. There was a CRIMINAL case that was dismissed.

AFTER that, there was a civil case, in which they settled. But the difference here is he didn't settle to keep her hushed, the world already knew what happened. He settled as he felt bad about the encounter and wanted to close that chapter.

As far as the difference between him and Weinstein and Epstein - if you even have to ask what the difference is between the three I would suggest you refrain from commenting on anything of such in the future.

J/C

about a month ago before he did there a report of Kobe witnessing a traffic accident, he not only sat with the people in the accident, he calmed them, helped them from their vehicles, and even directed traffic until police came.

Kobe also dedicated his life afterwards to promote and help female sports, along with changing the lives of thousands of kids.

he would sneak into hospitals in cities he was playing in or doing business in, and visit sick kids by sneaking up the back stairs. Not announcing his arrival to the press as he wanted to have 1-1 time and didn't want the PR to be about him taking away from time wth the child.

There have also been reports that Kobe had even offered to help some of the families of these children financially that he met on these visits if they needed it.

The world watch him as a 17 year old kid learn to play NBA basketball.

The world watch him have trouble in marriage, and own up to a decision that hurt someone - even when that decision seems to have been a miscommunication that you could easily see troubled him afterwards.

The world watch as after this, he matured and became a great person and advocate for female athletics.

The world watch him become a mentor to young kids in the NBA - to the likes of even one LeBron James.

The world watch as he finished his NBA career in one of the greatest last games to have ever been played.

The world watch as he won an Oscar.

https://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/kobe...le-women-121811
I'd kind of like to see Lebron drop 80 tomorrow night.
Originally Posted By: willitevachange

The girl in question refused to testify after the fact and the case was dismissed. What really happened we will never know. But I take it for his word after the case was dismissed. he stated it was consensual (and from what I remember she agreed at first it was as well), but realized hearing her tale and seeing her emotions, she may have changed her mind during - there is a lot of questions as to the fact if she said anything to him to tell him that.

I believe if you actually watch the press conference afterwards of him speaking about it - he truly felt that is was a misunderstanding and was hurt that he may have hurt her unintentionally.

What we do know about Kobe, is that after the case was over - there was never a single allegation against him. There was never another whisper of him cheating, let along anything inappropriate.

I like how you try to put a stab in there to "libs". Which shows you are generally just trying to get a rise out of people with this. He didn't "buy her off" either. There was a CRIMINAL case that was dismissed.

AFTER that, there was a civil case, in which they settled. But the difference here is he didn't settle to keep her hushed, the world already knew what happened. He settled as he felt bad about the encounter and wanted to close that chapter.

As far as the difference between him and Weinstein and Epstein - if you even have to ask what the difference is between the three I would suggest you refrain from commenting on anything of such in the future.

J/C

about a month ago before he did there a report of Kobe witnessing a traffic accident, he not only sat with the people in the accident, he calmed them, helped them from their vehicles, and even directed traffic until police came.

Kobe also dedicated his life afterwards to promote and help female sports, along with changing the lives of thousands of kids.

he would sneak into hospitals in cities he was playing in or doing business in, and visit sick kids by sneaking up the back stairs. Not announcing his arrival to the press as he wanted to have 1-1 time and didn't want the PR to be about him taking away from time wth the child.

There have also been reports that Kobe had even offered to help some of the families of these children financially that he met on these visits if they needed it.

The world watch him as a 17 year old kid learn to play NBA basketball.

The world watch him have trouble in marriage, and own up to a decision that hurt someone - even when that decision seems to have been a miscommunication that you could easily see troubled him afterwards.

The world watch as after this, he matured and became a great person and advocate for female athletics.

The world watch him become a mentor to young kids in the NBA - to the likes of even one LeBron James.

The world watch as he finished his NBA career in one of the greatest last games to have ever been played.

The world watch as he won an Oscar.

OK, great guy except for that one rape.
I agree with others, hard to say. Maybe it was a rape inside consensual relations? Meaning, once invited inside the door, it's hard to stop what happens after.

No means no. Saying no after saying yes is a different deal. It's still not right, but not as wrong as a outright rape.

I stressed to my daughter, and she hated the talk, but she heard, "Don't start something that is hard to stop. You have some responsibility in the matter as well."
It’s a gray level in some cases as you said. You could be all consensual in the talks/actions leading up to a sexual act, but then more hesitant right before or during.

You mean the one he was acquitted of? I hope nobody ever accuses you of anything terrible. Hopefully if they do you will experience the same treatment.
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

You mean the one he was acquitted of? I hope nobody ever accuses you of anything terrible. Hopefully if they do you will experience the same treatment.

I thought you were the "justice" vs "just us" guy? Now you suddenly have full faith in the judicial process for celebrity multi-millionaires?
Actually I think everyone should get the same "just us". My issue has always been that those who have less don't receive good representation.
Actually I think everyone should get the same "just us". My issue has always been that those who have less don't receive good representation.

When the Dems brought out that woman who said she might have been raped 35 years ago. you guys to a man were ready to hang Kav by his....thumbs. He was scumb and now Kobe is good. He might have been innocent. I just like to point out Liberal hypocrites. I know this isn't the political section but its fun to show you guys for what you stand for.
Like most people, I felt terrible when I heard the news. And then worse when I found out his daughter was with him. Just heartbreaking.

My mind did go back to the incident at the hotel, eventually. People can say he wasn’t convicted, etc., but if you actually look in to the details, you do not come away feeling sympathetic to Kobe unless you are trying to defend a stance, like way too many people do here.

At the very least, he treated that girl horribly, and at the worst, he raped her.

Kobe, from all accounts, tried to make himself a better person, and even championed women’s sports and seemed to take them under his wings.

It’s such a trap to try and make flawed people into saints. I’ve had mixed feelings about all the glory being thrown his way, but i do feel he was a changed man. At least I hope he was.

RIP

He was not acquitted. It was settled out of court.
Is this story still "reportedly?"
Originally Posted By: pfm1963

He was not acquitted. It was settled out of court.
That was the civil case, not the criminal case . The criminal charges were dropped(acquitted)
Quote:
When the Dems brought out that woman who said she might have been raped 35 years ago. you guys to a man were ready to hang Kav by his....thumbs. He was scumb and now Kobe is good. He might have been innocent. I just like to point out Liberal hypocrites. I know this isn't the political section but its fun to show you guys for what you stand for.

That's a good point.

Your article to refute will's claims is from 2011. I also don't get why some folks are trying to make this about politics? Character is often revealed in such times.

Anyway, here are Vanessa's comments from just 3 days ago. The picture is painted very differently that the article from 9 years ago.

Quote:
My girls and I want to thank the millions of people who’ve shown support and love during this horrific time. Thank you for all the prayers. We definitely need them. We are completely devastated by the sudden loss of my adoring husband, Kobe — the amazing father of our children; and my beautiful, sweet Gianna — a loving, thoughtful, and wonderful daughter, and amazing sister to Natalia, Bianka, and Capri.
We are also devastated for the families who lost their loved ones on Sunday, and we share in their grief intimately.
There aren’t enough words to describe our pain right now. I take comfort in knowing that Kobe and Gigi both knew that they were so deeply loved. We were so incredibly blessed to have them in our lives. I wish they were here with us forever. They were our beautiful blessings taken from us too soon.
I’m not sure what our lives hold beyond today, and it’s impossible to imagine life without them. But we wake up each day, trying to keep pushing because Kobe, and our baby girl, Gigi, are shining on us to light the way. Our love for them is endless — and that’s to say, immeasurable. I just wish I could hug them, kiss them and bless them. Have them here with us, forever.
Thank you for sharing your joy, your grief and your support with us. We ask that you grant us the respect and privacy we will need to navigate this new reality.
To honor our Team Mamba family, the Mamba Sports Foundation has set up the MambaOnThree Fund to help support the other families affected by this tragedy. To donate, please go to MambaOnThree.org.
To further Kobe and Gianna’s legacy in youth sports, please visit MambaSportsFoundation.org.

Thank you so much for lifting us up in your prayers, and for loving Kobe, Gigi, Natalia, Bianka, Capri and me. #Mamba #Mambacita #GirlsDad #DaddysGirls #Family &#10084;&#65039;

https://www.instagram.com/p/B77K8XWDY7O/?utm_source=ig_embed

First, I'm not a democrat. Second, Kobe had due process and faced his accuser in a court of law. Actually, his accuser refused to testify against him.Third, and just speaking for myself, I was more appalled by Kavenaugh's total lack of self control in the way he conducted himself during the hearing. I don't trust anyone who is that volatile to be put in such authority to be making objective legal opinions.

First, I'm not a democrat. Second, Kobe had due process and faced his accuser in a court of law. Actually, his accuser refused to testify against him.Third, and just speaking for myself, I was more appalled by Kavenaugh's total lack of self control in the way he conducted himself during the hearing. I don't trust anyone who is that volatile to be put in such authority to be making objective legal opinions.

sure sure Pit.gotcha.

First off, I think you be hard pressed to find Pitt or anyone else you consider "a lib" to say I am...

Second, your illogical and outright delusional banter is showing of your character - the white guy is instantly believed, yet the black guy who had charges dismissed is guilty.....

I am glad I am not related to you, that's for sure.
Quote:
Second, your illogical and outright delusional banter is showing of your character - the white guy is instantly believed, yet the black guy who had charges dismissed is guilty.....

How did you get that out of what he posted?
Well, one was never accused of rape until some 30+ years later when it was convenient for the party attempting to block the appointment to judge.

The other admitted sexual stuff, and admitted doing something the lady wasn't comfortable with. But he had the money to make the suit go away.
Quote:
But he had the money to make the suit go away.
So now you are saying he bribed a DA and Judge to dismiss charges?
Quote:

It's all the rage in the land of conspiracy theories.
Quote:

Nobody needed to be bribed once she refused to testify and she might have refused to testify... because .. and this is just a thought...

Kobe's high priced attorney was painting the accuser as being a lunatic who was on anti-psychotic drugs who had attempted suicide before...

the media had leaked her name to the public...

she was portrayed as a whore who wanted sex with Kobe or a big payday or both...

Kobe fans were sending her death threats and hate mail since they found her address...

But sure young nobody lady with nothing to gain except some version of "justice"... you should just go ahead and put your entire life in jeopardy for this....

This case is exactly what the #metoo movement was about...

Keep in mind, I don't know if he raped her or not.... but the fact that the charges were dropped prove absolutely NOTHING one way or the other.
I don't disagree that it proved nothing one way or the other.

I'm actually not the one you need to explain that to. What I'm saying is I won't throw out accusations of his guilt based on, as you pointed out, that nothing has been proven one way or the other.
Fair enough... then can we just agree that his overall "legacy" has a nice big asterisk beside it?
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Fair enough... then can we just agree that his overall "legacy" has a nice big asterisk beside it?

Agreed. Things are further complicated because he, allegedly, continued to cheat on his wife.

I imagine that would depend on if you feel that a question left unanswered is cause for an asterisk. A lot of people have been accused of a lot of things.

If everyone of those people were given an asterisk for those accusations, who would be left without one?

Agreed. Things are further complicated because he, allegedly, continued to cheat on his wife.

If that's the bar, then......... never mind. Wrong forum. wink
Quote:

Nobody needed to be bribed once she refused to testify and she might have refused to testify... because .. and this is just a thought...

Kobe's high priced attorney was painting the accuser as being a lunatic who was on anti-psychotic drugs who had attempted suicide before...

the media had leaked her name to the public...

she was portrayed as a whore who wanted sex with Kobe or a big payday or both...

Kobe fans were sending her death threats and hate mail since they found her address...

But sure young nobody lady with nothing to gain except some version of "justice"... you should just go ahead and put your entire life in jeopardy for this....

This case is exactly what the #metoo movement was about...

Keep in mind, I don't know if he raped her or not.... but the fact that the charges were dropped prove absolutely NOTHING one way or the other.
Or...and this is just a thought - she was a suicidal lunatic who was on anti - psychotic drugs and also OD about a month before the encounter. Supplying evidence of something that happened is not "painting" her anything. Its showing the court that the accuser may not have been in a sound state of mind at the time - she may well have been, but that's why we have a trial isn't it?

Quote:
Did Kobe do that, or the media? I find it odd you blame Kobe for how public perceived the information they given during the time about the case. Its almost like you are saying there was this huge manufactured misinformation that about things that happened. Please do tell examples of what you are speaking about so I have a better understanding of your point.

Quote:
People are idiots. But again you act like that wouldn't happen if it was Kobe fans, or Trump fans, or Rush Limbaugh fans, or Bill Cosby fans, etc. You are trying to use actions of others as a point for your argument - yet again, its not like Kobe sent out her address.

Also, its just a thought as you say - that she refused to testify because she knew what she was saying was going to be reveiled on the stand and didn't want to perjure herself. You see, we can all make assumptions and then try to present them as fact as you did in your post.

The point is, nothing you stated you can back up, as I cannot my last point.

But we do know she didn't testify, the charges were dropped, and the man lived a life after the fact fully committed to enhancing female athletics, providing opportunities for young diverse women, and gave opportunities to thousands without asking for a single piece of good PR for it - it was simply out of the kindness of his heart for others.

Personally, I don't judge a person by what others say about them, I judge them by their actions. And although Kobe had a time in which he regrets, he wholeheartedly changed as a person and became a great man, father, and husband.
Quote:

Yes, and no.

No, he didn't bribe the judge or DA.

Aug. of 2004 the lady filed a civil case against Bryant. Sept. of 2004 the judge dismissed the criminal case because the lady said she wouldn't testify.

March of 2005 Kobe and the lady reached a settlement in the civil case.

That's why I feel he was able to make the case go away.
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Quote:

Yes, and no.

No, he didn't bribe the judge or DA.

Aug. of 2004 the lady filed a civil case against Bryant. Sept. of 2004 the judge dismissed the criminal case because the lady said she wouldn't testify.

March of 2005 Kobe and the lady reached a settlement in the civil case.

That's why I feel he was able to make the case go away.

So what the 6 months of civil court was what - for show?

Your saying he paid her off not to testify, then why would it take 6 months to close the civil case? Doesn't seem right, especially as I am sure he would want to sit through that for 6 months huh?

I could argue (and have the same amount of backing of evidence you present to back) that she filed a civil claim and refused to testify to avoid perjury and to avoid chances of losing a civil suit as well. . . .

Once again, I will base my opinion of the man on what he did for those in need and the lives he changed through his philanthropic ventures.

I mean, I could just say who cares what he did as a private citizen right?
You asked if I thought he bribed the judge and the da. I answered that - no - and explained where I felt any possible bribe may have entered.

It's really that simple. You asked me a question, and I responded.
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
You asked if I thought he bribed the judge and the da. I answered that - no - and explained where I felt any possible bribe may have entered.

It's really that simple. You asked me a question, and I responded.
And I responded to your answer. that's how a message board / conversation works disputing the theory you were trying to set.

You answered, I rebutted your answer.
And although Kobe had a time in which he regrets, he wholeheartedly changed as a person and became a great man, father, and husband.

His wife filed for divorce in 2013 and there were tons of rumors about cheating.
And although Kobe had a time in which he regrets, he wholeheartedly changed as a person and became a great man, father, and husband.

His wife filed for divorce in 2013 and there were tons of rumors about cheating.

And? Do you see where I said he regrets a time and changed?

Weird they were still married though huh? Any reports after that fact?

Pretty sad when you have to try to judge a dead man. Jealous of something?

And? Do you see where I said he regrets a time and changed?

Weird they were still married though huh? Any reports after that fact?

You said that he changed as a husband. I am just pointing out that he might not have changed.

Pretty sad when you have to try to judge a dead man.

I guess we can burn all the history books.
Change the history books? No. But bringing up rumors from 2013 in some feeble attempt to use those, as you yourself admitted, "allegations" to write history doesn't hold any merit either.

First, you admitted they were allegations to begin with and those allegations were seven years ago. Why such a desperate attempt to smear a dead man?
Smearing and bringing up legit questions about his character are not the same thing. Living in LA these are things that everyone knew about at the time. There was always rumors of him cheating.

Sorry for ruffling feathers. I won’t post on this thread again.
You certainly aren't ruffling my feathers. I'm not even an NBA fan much less a Kobe fan. I do kind of watch LeBron but not closely.

I just don't understand how you can use rumors as the basis of your assertions. And maybe it's semantics, but yes, I believe if you use rumors to question "changing history", that's a smear.

In theory, history is based on documented facts. Not that it always works that way but that is how it's supposed to work.

So we simply disagree that using the rumor mill to create someone's history, or to claim that rumors should be a part of a persons history simply don't measure up.
Deception is his game.

He posts an article from 2011 about Kobe's wife filing for divorce because he cheated on her. Meanwhile, he does not point out the couple was still married until Kobe's death and that had two more children together. He also ignored her heartfelt words of her loss.
I think it's more a human condition we all fall into from time to time. We form an opinion and as such it's only natural to use information that furthers and strengthens our opinions while ignoring the things that don't.
Smearing and bringing up legit questions about his character are not the same thing. Living in LA these are things that everyone knew about at the time. There was always rumors of him cheating.

Sorry for ruffling feathers. I won’t post on this thread again.

Nor will I. He should only be revered in his passing..
j/c:

Here is part of what Kobe's wife had to say the other day:

Quote:
“[I’m] mad I’m not with Kobe and Gigi but thankful I’m here with Natalia, Bianka and Capri,” she wrote of her surviving daughters, ages 17, 3 and 7 months. “I know what I’m feeling is normal. It’s part of the grieving process.”

“I just wanted to share in case there’s anyone out there that’s experienced a loss like this,” Vanessa added. “God I wish they were here and this nightmare would be over. Praying for all of the victims of this horrible tragedy. Please continue to pray for all.”

I didn't like Kobe and I know he had some issues, but I believe it is best to be kind when others are grieving. I will never forget the time when the sister of one of my students died in a car accident. They were neighbors of ours and I had actually talked to the young lady earlier that day. She was beautiful inside and out. She made a mistake by texting while driving and her SUV rolled over and she was killed.

I went on social media a few days afterwards to write a tribute to her and the number of comments that were abusive about her and her family sickened me. They trashed her for texting. They trashed her for other things. They blamed the family because the SUV was not new enough. They were downright ugly.

Later, I brought over food and a card to the family. The mother answered the door and we hugged. She was devastated beyond belief and she mentioned how hurt her and the rest of the remaining family [2 other siblings and the father] by the cruelness of social media. I quietly suggested they stay off of those sites because while many people were supportive of the family in their time of grief, there still would be those hateful souls who find perverse pleasure in demeaning others.

I don't think anyone has to feel obligated to honor Kobe. I do know that many folks who knew him personally are honoring him. I also know that a family has been ripped apart and are grieving. I think that perhaps folks might decide to be respectful rather that building their fragile self-esteem by trashing victims of a tragedy.

Private thoughts and conversations w/those closest to you are one thing. Speaking those thoughts on a public forum are another.

Class.
Great post, man.
Found some old pictures from a Cavs game I went to in 2006. I was lucky enough to get to sit behind the Lakers bench for one of those Sunday afternoon ABC nationally televised game. It was Kobe and Lebron going at it. It was amazing. Kobe was incredible that game, just hitting insane shot after insane shot.
I found this article to be informative and quite interesting:

'Kobe Bryant’s Disturbing Rape Case: The DNA Evidence, the Accuser’s Story, and the Half-Confession'

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kobe-bryan...half-confession
© DawgTalkers.net