DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: bonefish A Real Discussion - The Season - 03/31/20 01:35 PM

Each day we wake up to a new reality Covid -19 "the virus".

We check the news. Get the latest results on our life status.

Sports are canceled. When will they return? Will the football season be played?

From most indications a vaccine is 12 to 18 months away.

What is going to happen? The answer is we just do not know.

Could games be played with no fans? All players and staff tested. The games played on tv with nobody in the stands?

The financial impact is enormous from the teams on down to the hot dog stands.

Basketball, Baseball, already at the mercy of the virus. Unless something drastic happens Football will be forced to follow suit. The Olympics have already been moved to 2021.

Life without sports. World War II didn't stop MLB.

The virus has stopped baseball.

We will adjust. We have no choice. We will have to find other things to occupy the void.

Just beginning to wonder how will all the contracts be handled? Lots of decisions coming.

Stay safe everyone.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 03/31/20 02:27 PM
I’ve come to expect the season will be cancelled. It sucks but it’s realistic.
If I’m wrong I’ll be happily surprised. If I’m not, I’m mentally prepared.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 03/31/20 02:36 PM
I'm a plan for the worst and hope for the best kind of guy.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 03/31/20 02:41 PM
If the season is cancelled it’ll have some positives in my life. Steelhead run in the Deschutes River in September and October. Because of the NFL and NCAA I don’t go fishing nearly as much as I could/should. If there’s no football I’ll likely go every weekend.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 03/31/20 02:57 PM
Originally Posted By: bonefish

What is going to happen? The answer is we just do not know.

Could games be played with no fans? All players and staff tested.

Just beginning to wonder how will all the contracts be handled? Lots of decisions coming.

Playing without fans is one possibility.
There being enough people that have been sick to open it up completely is another possibility (if it is shown that antibodies remain and grant immunity).
Cancellation of the season is the most likely right now, I think.

I can see two scenarios for contracts:

1. Nobody gets paid, nobody accrues a season.
2. Owners agree to pay everyone a minimal amount ($50-$100k per player), nobody accrues a season.

I think option 1 is most likely. The NFLPA might push for option 2, but the owners would want things in return and I doubt the players would go for that.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 03/31/20 03:55 PM
I think the NFL will do everything possible to have a season ... including buying an island and having the players all quarantined there and take turns playing (only being semi-facetious lol)

Having said that, I am on the fence about it now
Posted By: eotab Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 03/31/20 04:17 PM
I think when Labor day rolls around it will become essential for football to be played. The people need it and we should be winding a lot down by end of April (draft time)

Stupid me...I didn't go buy a gun cause if it doesn't get better by September we will be heading into Mad Maxx days...
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 03/31/20 04:37 PM
Originally Posted By: eotab
we should be winding a lot down by end of April

Don't get your hopes up. Most places won't even be close to peaking, yet, at that time.

Literally, just look at Italy and how long they have now been in deep... and they still likely have not peaked, despite recent slowdowns.
Posted By: ThomasE Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 03/31/20 05:44 PM
A college friend's father ran a fish hatchery in Maupin on the Deschutes River. Talk about beautiful. My friend was hardcore. Instead of playing catch in the spring, he practiced his casting. Tied his own flies. On the way to the hospital for a hernia operation he stopped to do a little fishing. Caught a 22-lb. steelhead.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 03/31/20 06:01 PM
NFL season is (was) scheduled to start in early-mid September. While I didn't expect this stay-at-home business to be wrapped up by now or even within the month, talking about canceling the NFL season would be the opposite extreme, IMO.

Successfully flattening the curve does push the duration of these countermeasures out considerably... but we're talking about 5+ more months of this? China is already starting to come back online, and they were super-duper locked down for about a month?

I expect offseason/pre-season activities to be pushed back (or shortened up to cancellation), which would impact (delay) the start of the regular season a bit.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 03/31/20 06:56 PM
If a season is played, I think it will be played in empty stadium. Too much of a liability to pack the stadiums without a vaccine.

Still early to tell whether or not a season will happen, but I'd be surprised if it starts on time.

Will players want to play? Sure you can test before each game, but what if the players contract the virus out in the community and right before the game 1/2 a team is confirmed to have covid-19? Are games just automatically forfeited? Does that team now have to self-quarantine for 14 days? What happens to the schedule then?

Lots of variables that would make playing, even in an empty stadium, challenging.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 03/31/20 06:59 PM
On a different note..

Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 03/31/20 07:07 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 03/31/20 07:10 PM
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 03/31/20 07:12 PM
Originally Posted By: ThomasE
A college friend's father ran a fish hatchery in Maupin on the Deschutes River. Talk about beautiful. My friend was hardcore. Instead of playing catch in the spring, he practiced his casting. Tied his own flies. On the way to the hospital for a hernia operation he stopped to do a little fishing. Caught a 22-lb. steelhead.

I like this guy already.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 03/31/20 07:17 PM
If this thing is still going into September to the point we are still all locked up, the world will be in chaos.

It's been a short few weeks and people are already going stir crazy.

IMO, the worst will be behind us by then, and the world will be putting itself back together, the season may be slightly delayed or TC shortened, but in the end we will have football.
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 03/31/20 11:37 PM
If they cancel football for a year I'll make it through.

I took the virus' name to heart and while the rest of you were stocking up on toilet paper, I was stocking up on Corona.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/01/20 09:53 AM
So you can give a case or Corona to many people.
Posted By: runback Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/01/20 11:04 AM
1996.1997.1998 Browns had no team and we all made it thru that.
I don’t know what the percentage of total revenue is live ticket sales but owners must have a number where they’ll seriously consider cancelling the season if total revenue projections are below that number. Conversely, I also don’t know if they have revenue boosts built in to their TV contracts for ratings because if NFL is the only thing happening in the fall, ratings would be ridiculous. Also, I can’t even imagine what a game with no crowd would look/feel like. It would be surreal for sure.

I think the way things are going, the likelihood is no season or very abbreviated. I’m sure y’all have read the same things I have about “after shocks” in the fall and beyond with limited quarantines rolling on and off until a vaccine comes online somewhere between 12-18 months out. The very best we can hope for is a working antiviral therapy short of a vaccine that at least takes the edge off the most at-risk populations and everything approaches what we once called normal. I still suspect big crowd activities are going to be a no-go for the foreseeable year.
Posted By: eotab Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/01/20 05:46 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Don't get your hopes up. Most places won't even be close to peaking, yet, at that time.

Literally, just look at Italy and how long they have now been in deep... and they still likely have not peaked, despite recent slowdowns.

1. we are not Italy.

2. Look at China even though I'm sure they are fudging their numbers. They got 2 billion people there.

3. I am suburbs of NYC we are in the epicenter of it all and will peak in 2 weeks peak usually means going down which actually we have slowed down but.

My son got it and survived. Thank God
Now my cousin in law who is an EMT out in Montauk now has it but he is in that 65 age group but no heart lungs or diabetes history so hopefully he will make it. Only mentioned it cause he is as far from city as there is. Still EMT's Nurses and Nurses aides' are being hit hard here!

Hopefully it will have a vaccine before spreading like this to Cleveland area and others.
Governor Cuomo is banning the use of that malaria drug I don't know why hope its not political cause he is just naming that person in Arizona who self medicated with a fish tank cleaner that had some of the ingredients but not the DRUG. I don't understand that move by Cuomo??? It has worked in the test studies.

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/01/20 05:51 PM
Pence says Italy is probably best comparison to U.S. now

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pence-says-italy-is-probably-best-comparison-to-u-s-now/
Posted By: oobernoober Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/01/20 07:21 PM
Yikes.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/01/20 08:43 PM
I'm also prepared for nothing and thinking (hoping) there's still a chance. I've heard people talk about the possibility of a delayed start and also of the season being shortened. I would HATE to see it shortened. Just call it off if it comes to that.

Just give me that draft on time. I'll revisit horrible, devastating scenarios after that.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/01/20 09:01 PM

1. we are not Italy.

No, we're not, and we're probably not going to be as lucky as them.
They have, so far, mostly contained the worst of it to the north, in the Lombardy region.

The majority of all the lockdowns and everything here happened too slowly, too late. What you are seeing fast and furious right now in NYC will bloom on different timelines across our country. Indy, Michigan, L.A., Vegas, Lousisana. Everywhere.
Posted By: mac Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/01/20 09:04 PM
Quote:
1. we are not Italy.

When it comes Covid 19...you might be wrong.

US surpasses China, Italy in total coronavirus cases

America now at the forefront of the pandemic
Published: March 26, 2020, 5:41 pm
Updated: March 29, 2020, 4:28 pm

link
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/01/20 09:08 PM
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/01/20 09:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
So you can give a case or Corona to many people.

Try to take my Coronas and you'll get a case alright!
Posted By: lampdogg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/01/20 11:19 PM
I think an NFL season with empty stadiums would not be ideal, but still better than nothing.

Hell, I sometimes watch Canadian college football games and the stands are so barren you can hear the refs talking in the background. wink

That’s almost true.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/01/20 11:24 PM
Bro ... if there’s no football in front of crowds by September ... football will be the least of our worries .... and that’s what really sucks about no season or no crowds ...
Posted By: lampdogg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/01/20 11:33 PM
Yeah you’re right about that.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/02/20 03:07 AM
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Bro ... if there’s no football in front of crowds by September ... football will be the least of our worries .... and that’s what really sucks about no season or no crowds ...

^ THIS. Quoted for truth.
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/02/20 03:29 AM
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

Sounds like a good opportunity for new Game Day swag... everyone gets their very own NFL licensed N95 mask in your teams colors!
Posted By: rastanplan Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/02/20 09:35 AM

1. we are not Italy.

2. Look at China even though I'm sure they are fudging their numbers. They got 2 billion people there.

3. I am suburbs of NYC we are in the epicenter of it all and will peak in 2 weeks peak usually means going down which actually we have slowed down but.

My son got it and survived. Thank God
Now my cousin in law who is an EMT out in Montauk now has it but he is in that 65 age group but no heart lungs or diabetes history so hopefully he will make it. Only mentioned it cause he is as far from city as there is. Still EMT's Nurses and Nurses aides' are being hit hard here!

Hopefully it will have a vaccine before spreading like this to Cleveland area and others.
Governor Cuomo is banning the use of that malaria drug I don't know why hope its not political cause he is just naming that person in Arizona who self medicated with a fish tank cleaner that had some of the ingredients but not the DRUG. I don't understand that move by Cuomo??? It has worked in the test studies.

Italian and French health care system are much better than the American,specially in public health.

According to the the World Health Organization Index, France ranks number 1 and Italy number 2. US ranks in number 37...

https://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/best-healthcare-in-the-world/

Maybe on off the good things coming out of this mess is people realizing that US has the most expensive health care in the world for a performance of a developed country.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/04/20 01:07 PM
I think the season is going to go ahead. I doubt there will be fans in the stands.

I read that they have already developed an "instant result" test - and by September that technology will surely be in place. They can test players, coaches, officials, camera crews, media ... everyone that is in the stadium. There is enough money motivation to find a way to make it work.

In England where the whole country has had a complete lock down and people can't be outside with more than one family member when getting daily exercise (once a day), they are making plans to finish the soccer season ... I think one professional sport finds a way to move forward, everything else will start to follow.
Posted By: eotab Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/04/20 02:01 PM
Originally Posted By: mgh888
I think the season is going to go ahead. I doubt there will be fans in the stands.

I read that they have already developed an "instant result" test - and by September that technology will surely be in place. They can test players, coaches, officials, camera crews, media ... everyone that is in the stadium. There is enough money motivation to find a way to make it work.

In England where the whole country has had a complete lock down and people can't be outside with more than one family member when getting daily exercise (once a day), they are making plans to finish the soccer season ... I think one professional sport finds a way to move forward, everything else will start to follow.

I'm hoping GOLF will lead the way. If they ban fans from the tournaments there is no contact and one of the safest place to be is on the course. I see that sport going forward more than any other.

jmho
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/06/20 02:21 AM
Corona stops beer production

See!

Toilet paper? Ha!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/06/20 02:59 AM
brownie
Posted By: slick Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/06/20 08:19 PM
Unfortunately I fully expect the season to be canceled. The draft will happen, with no crowd of course, but I believe that the nfl is already preparing a statement shortly after the draft. Sucks.. really does. Well, atleast I can fish longer on sundays now
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/06/20 08:34 PM
There's a lot of time between now and August.

IF a suitable treatment is discovered that mitigates the severe cases and keeps people out of ICU's and off the ventilators, then everything gets to go back to normal really, really quickly.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/06/20 08:45 PM
I agree. The fact that the PGA is at least tentatively setting up dates for the fall is a good sign (after talking with Trump the day before or whatever too)
Posted By: slick Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/06/20 08:54 PM
There's a lot of time between now and August.

IF a suitable treatment is discovered that mitigates the severe cases and keeps people out of ICU's and off the ventilators, then everything gets to go back to normal really, really quickly.

But wasnt it announced that a vaccine wont even be available until 2021?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/06/20 09:25 PM
Not a vaccine; treatments.

Vaccines keep you from getting infected in the first place.
Treatments help you handle the disease if you do get infected.

Vaccines are a LOOOOONG way off.
Treatments could come along at any time.

So, people would still get infected by the tens of thousands... but, if it doesn't create hospitalizations that require ICU beds and ventilators, then it suddenly isn't such a big deal, at all.
Posted By: slick Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/07/20 03:55 AM
Honestly I just dont see it. New york has it bad, it's a wreck over there and I just dont see it being under control by late july or early August. I hope it will be but as of now I just dont see it
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/07/20 12:30 PM
And if IRC, we still won more games that decade, even without fielding teams, than the Bungles managed to do. I think some stats are very telling. We have made up for it since then admittedly, but there is a crushing sense of karmic isostasy in Ohio.

The Browns are being punished for something horrible. Lift the curse.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/07/20 12:39 PM
Quote:
The Browns are being punished for something horrible. Lift the curse.

I'm telling you, it's that damn Brownie. Look at him. He is evil and possessed. Exorcise the Brownie!
Posted By: bonefish Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/07/20 01:24 PM

As trite as it may be. I have never liked that brownie elf.

I have nothing against a cartoon caricature but I just don't get what the brownie real is and what does it have to do with football?

So yes get rid of it.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/07/20 03:07 PM
The Elf has been around much longer than the "dawg." We've won titles with the Elf. We've actually not won diddly poo since we've incorporated the "dawg" and it's logos and references.

We have moved, suffered and endured an 0-16 season with the Dawg.

If there is a curse on the Browns it lies with the Dawg not the Elf.

I say we render the Dawg dead and move forward with the Elf. But we know that will not happen.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/07/20 03:19 PM
drop them both; we don't need either one
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/07/20 03:28 PM
I find the fact that anyone believes either the Dawg or Brownie have anything to do with W's and L's to be hilarious.

It reminds me of five years ago when people were saying a change in uniforms might be some motivating factor.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/07/20 03:53 PM
Well, it could have been, right?

I mean, racing stripes DO make a car faster.....
Posted By: eotab Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/07/20 04:03 PM
Not a vaccine; treatments.

Vaccines keep you from getting infected in the first place.
Treatments help you handle the disease if you do get infected.

Vaccines are a LOOOOONG way off.
Treatments could come along at any time.

So, people would still get infected by the tens of thousands... but, if it doesn't create hospitalizations that require ICU beds and ventilators, then it suddenly isn't such a big deal, at all.

My youngest son, some of you might have met him on the 2004 Opener against the Ravens - what a great day as Paul Zuk had tickets waiting for me and my family - Wife & Youngest son. The last game I attended.

Well he caught the Virus and he had it bad...they diagnosed him with pheumonia as he waited the results of the test which came up Positive and he had the disease. But they gave him a very strong Antibiotic for the pneumonia and almost immediately his Fever went away. Then he was told when his medication ran out if he went 3 days in succession without a fever, he was cured and would be allowed to get out of his self imposed Isolation.

He had to report to the Health Department. He was shocked that they didn't want him to come down and Get some of his blood considering his Antibodies could be used in transfusion.

All they cared about was the STATS. Smh, government ran programs just SUCK! It should be ran from more local and they should have collected his blood automatically.

Thank God he is a survivor! Feels so good now.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/07/20 04:33 PM

You know what they say about coulda, shoulda, woulda, right? wink
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/07/20 04:39 PM
I hope you know that I was joking around about the Brownie being evil. I don't like the brownie, but I wasn't being serious. Just having some fun.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/07/20 04:45 PM
It was more of a general comment. I've seen a lot of people post about how they don't like the elf. I'm just messing around to an extent myself. Well, except about the uniform thing. There were actually people posting they thought it may be some kind of motivation for the players. That part did crack me up.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/07/20 05:24 PM
GC. About the season, ( can I just caveat my position so it's clear, I might as well make it a signature, so everyone would know where my mind is.)
( There are 350 million people in America, if 75 million of them have to die of this virus, then I'm ok with that, and I expect everyone else needs to be too.) That's where I stand so given that, meaning, I'm not trying to shut down the world to save the insurance companies and stop patients waiting to be seen on lawns outside of hospitals and bodies stacked like cord wood. But as a people we have to be ok with it!

Now everyone knows where I stand, Here's my idea on the season,
1. Thank our wonderful Govenor for all he's done and set him out of office for a few minutes and let me be governor and I'd put forth these,
"written down signed statements" as
To re-open the economy that was shut down for the emergency: and this effects the season of football as sports are a part of it.

2. Re-open all sit down restaurants, bars, and non essential businesses that were open as of the latest date where things were shutdown,
One day before Mothers' day. ( Oh Yeah!, people need to have to wear face masks in sit down restaurants, but all the families can get together in restaurants, on Mothers' day.)

3. Re-open all movie theaters, trampoline parks, and whatever else was in that group, on Memorial day.

4. Return all schools to and thus sports, to in person status, (at least as far as the state ordering them to be shut down is concerned)
by August 1st

It would take away uncertainty.

And then if you Let people voluntarily do whatever they've been doing, and want to keep doing or not, then it would be possible.

This would allow for Football, Baseball, Hockey, Basketaball, the Olympics, Whatever! College sports! to resume, and would "Save America" from the economic freefall.
:::::
eh: Yeah! and allow: 35-million people to die of the (1918 flu version 2020) IF! , cause that was my original impression of what to expect of this, going back to March 20-26th, BUT! it totally skewed to the low end by a Million; from March 31st-April 3rd. ( We don't have 2 million cases currently in the State of Ohio; symptomatic and needing a hospital?) We aren't still seeing exponentially doubling of cases every 24 hours-72 hours. :::::

But-

"Ah "screw" it let's take a look at that Cierra"
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/07/20 05:41 PM
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
The Elf has been around much longer than the "dawg." We've won titles with the Elf. We've actually not won diddly poo since we've incorporated the "dawg" and it's logos and references.

We have moved, suffered and endured an 0-16 season with the Dawg.

If there is a curse on the Browns it lies with the Dawg not the Elf.

I say we render the Dawg dead and move forward with the Elf. But we know that will not happen.

I'm remembering "dawg" is part of your screen name. brownie
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/07/20 07:32 PM
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
GC. About the season, ( can I just caveat my position so it's clear, I might as well make it a signature, so everyone would know where my mind is.)
( There are 350 million people in America, if 75 million of them have to die of this virus, then I'm ok with that, and I expect everyone else needs to be too.) That's where I stand so given that, meaning, I'm not trying to shut down the world to save the insurance companies and stop patients waiting to be seen on lawns outside of hospitals and bodies stacked like cord wood. But as a people we have to be ok with it!

1. Thank our wonderful Govenor for all he's done and set him out of office for a few minutes and let me be governor and I'd put forth these,
To re-open the economy that was shut down for the emergency: and this effects the season of football as sports are a part of it.

2. Re-open all sit down restaurants, bars, and non essential businesses that were open as of the latest date where things were shutdown,
One day before Mothers' day. ( Oh Yeah!, people need to have to wear face masks in sit down restaurants, but all the families can get together in restaurants, on Mothers' day.)

3. Re-open all movie theaters, trampoline parks, and whatever else was in that group, on Memorial day.

4. Return all schools to and thus sports, to in person status, (at least as far as the state ordering them to be shut down is concerned)
by August 1st

And then if you Let people voluntarily do whatever they've been doing, and want to keep doing or not, then it would be possible.

This would allow for Football, Baseball, Hockey, Basketaball, the Olympics, Whatever! College sports! to resume, and would "Save America" from the economic freefall.
eh: Yeah! and allow: 35-million people to die of the (1918 flu version 2020) IF! , cause that was my original impression of what to expect of this, going back to March 20-26th, BUT! it totally skewed to the low end by a Million; from March 31st-April 3rd. ( We don't have 2 million cases currently in the State of Ohio; symptomatic and needing a hospital?) We aren't still seeing exponentially doubling of cases every 24 hours-72 hours. :::::

But-

Besides the insanity of accepting 35-75 million deaths as being okay... which is deplorable insanity... how is it that you’re supposed to eat at a sit down restaurant AND wear a mask, as you propose?
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/07/20 07:36 PM
Wear the mask when you are not eating, seems pretty straight forward to me.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/07/20 07:37 PM
He's riffing. Let it go.... wink
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/07/20 07:40 PM
35-75 million? There are 6 billion on earth and everybody dies, 100% minus 2, 3, it's not deplorable, I didn't say to execute em, it's a disease, it's not murder or even war. Gotta let life go on.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/07/20 07:51 PM
35-75 million? There are 6 billion on earth and everybody dies, 100% minus 2, 3, it's not deplorable, I didn't say to execute em, it's a disease, it's not murder or even war. Gotta let life go on.

thats twhere the confusion is then.

you said
"There are 350 million people in America, if 75 million of them have to die of this virus, then I'm ok with that"

Which insinuated you were fine with 75 million Americans dying, or about 20% of the population of the US.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/07/20 09:08 PM
Wear the mask when you are not eating, seems pretty straight forward to me.

You don’t understand how the science behind mask use works, do you?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/07/20 10:32 PM
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg

by August 1st

But-

Besides the insanity of accepting 35-75 million deaths as being okay... which is deplorable insanity... how is it that you’re supposed to eat at a sit down restaurant AND wear a mask, as you propose?

Have them run your steak through the blender, and make sure you use a paper straw to eat it with. wink rofl
Posted By: bonefish Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/07/20 10:44 PM

Thrilled for your family that your son is ok.

This is a time when anything that we can do to help each other ...helps.

A very close friend of mine is originally from Morocco. He worked as a country club food and beverage manager for 40 years. Many of the members are elderly. He is helping a good number of them by making grocery store runs to purchase what they need.

These are tough times and harder for those who are already isolated. This is a time to be a good Samaritan.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/07/20 10:48 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

You know what they say about coulda, shoulda, woulda, right? wink

SO WHAT DO THEY SAY???

The "Woulda Coulda Shoulda" I knew was a pretty good pacer at Northfield Park in the early 80's-ish.

rofl
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/07/20 10:51 PM
Coulda, shoulda, woulda didn't.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/08/20 12:04 AM
Coulda, shoulda, woulda didn't.

Isn't that a Shakespeare quote? rofl
Posted By: slick Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/08/20 01:38 PM
I can't imagine being "ok" with 75 million people dying.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/08/20 02:04 PM
well, you don't have to be because that number was never going to happen even in the worst case scenarios.

The absolute worst number I was ever able to calculate was 10 million, and that was based on 70% of the population getting infected and then 4% of the infected dying.... which is definitely over-the-top (and ignoring any attempt to factor for asymptomatic cases).
Posted By: oobernoober Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/08/20 04:04 PM
well, you don't have to be because that number was never going to happen even in the worst case scenarios.

The absolute worst number I was ever able to calculate was 10 million, and that was based on 70% of the population getting infected and then 4% of the infected dying.... which is definitely over-the-top (and ignoring any attempt to factor for asymptomatic cases).

I don't think 4% is worst case when you factor in hospital capacity. Didn't this (and an older population that is more seriously affected by infection) drive Italy to well over 5% rate of death?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/08/20 04:16 PM
Italy is closing in on 10%, actually, and yes that was definitely one of the major factors involved.

Edit: at today's numbers, Italy is at 12.7%
Posted By: oobernoober Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/08/20 04:21 PM
I'm not sure if the US would be that bad if we were to "throw open the gates" (so to speak) at this point, but I think it would be closer to that than 4%.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/08/20 04:24 PM
4% was, at one point, what the global average had moved up to.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/08/20 04:56 PM
Ah, gotcha.
Posted By: jacksondawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/09/20 07:28 PM
well good news here in Wyoming 230 people infected
recovered 94 that means only 130 people actually have it now
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/09/20 11:23 PM
But, if you want sobering numbers, don't compare cases to deaths. Look at the numbers once a person is put in the hospital.

I am going round numbers here, but they are pretty close.

The death rate per infection is many 1.5%. Not all that high.

However, if your need to be hospitalized due to complications, the death rate is 17.5%

That's pretty friggen high. I suspect if you check Ohio's numbers, it is similar. Some states might get hit harder for one reason or another, but the percentages of deaths per hospitalization should remain fairly close no matter the total number of infections. Much of that is due to state populations and large concentrations of population.

If you are a sheep herder, living in your Basque wagon on some range in Featherville, Idaho, you probably aren't sweating.

I mention that place because my wife grew up there on a ranch her father owned. He raised sheep on the upper ranch in the Sawtooths range. 22,000 acres between the two ranches. Potatoes and cattle on the lower.

Sheep are cool. If wool prices fall you sell mutton and lamb. If wool is in demand, you shave them and take them in to the next season. And they just eat grass and weeds, that grow naturally without any extra effort.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/09/20 11:44 PM
Did you know there is NO vaccine for AIDS? Treatment is the key, and we'll be well on the way to that before football season. Hydroxychlorochline is proving effective, and I believe it will be accepted as an effective treatment for COVID-19...or something else.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/10/20 03:12 PM
I think that 17.5% is artificially high right now, due to certain areas being hit especially hard and bumping up against their capacity to treat.

Once time goes on, I think that number will drop as capacity issues ease.
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/11/20 01:58 AM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I think that 17.5% is artificially high right now, due to certain areas being hit especially hard and bumping up against their capacity to treat.

Once time goes on, I think that number will drop as capacity issues ease.

It's all artificially high. Has been from the beginning.

I don't know if the NFL will be ready for Week 1, but restrictions are going to have to be loosened up, and pretty soon. It's not realistic to expect people to remain unemployed and on lock down through the summer and potentially in to the fall. Anyone who believes that is being naively myopic.

I live in a region that hasn't been too terribly effected by COVID-19 yet the Gov signed an additional executive order mandating a 20% of capacity limit in grocery stores AND mandating that the shopping aisles flow one way.

That's not enforceable from a practical standpoint and its not fair to place that burden on those employees.

Most everyone keeps nodding their heads in agreement to all sorts of restrictions yet no one is thinking about just how far they are willing to go to have those restrictions enforced.

Supposedly there's a chance of a 2nd wave, even if current mitigation levels are maintained. Either you use common sense and ease restrictions in areas that don't need them, then tighten them up if cases are seen OR continue down this path and have to deal with a 2nd wave amidst massive social unrest which there are already signs of.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/11/20 03:20 PM
Easing restrictions is a different thing entirely than allowing mass public gatherings. With a virus already on the loose, if those type of gatherings are allowed, the second wave could be far more devastating than the first wave.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/11/20 04:32 PM
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg
Did you know there is NO vaccine for AIDS? Treatment is the key, and we'll be well on the way to that before football season. Hydroxychlorochline is proving effective, and I believe it will be accepted as an effective treatment for COVID-19...or something else.

The thing is AIDS isn't transmitted as easily.

What we have to find out is once a person gets it and gets over it, do we then have antibodies that will help protect us moving forward?

Yes, treatment is a key if a vaccine can't be found anytime soon, if ever. It's just that is a extremely contagious virus. It's swept the globe in what, 3-4 months?
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/11/20 04:50 PM
The thing is AIDS isn't transmitted as easily.

What we have to find out is once a person gets it and gets over it, do we then have antibodies that will help protect us moving forward?

Yes, treatment is a key if a vaccine can't be found anytime soon, if ever. It's just that is a extremely contagious virus. It's swept the globe in what, 3-4 months?

I believe Fauci said this disease mutates slowly. He believes that come this fall, folks that have already gotten it (and have antibodies) should still be okay.

Also, if you do have antibodies, yet still contract the virus, will that help make the virus less severe.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/11/20 05:15 PM
Easing restrictions is a different thing entirely than allowing mass public gatherings. With a virus already on the loose, if those type of gatherings are allowed, the second wave could be far more devastating than the first wave.

I honestly don't believe we will see, nor should we, large crowds at sporting events before we have better and sufficient testing to test anyone who wants a test, and possibly even a vaccine.

That said - perfectly feasible to play pro sports without crowds.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/11/20 05:34 PM
I agree that can easily be done. The question then becomes will the owners see that as economically feasible? We know that the bulk of their revenue comes via TV contracts and shared revenue from apparel.

The question is how much will empty stadiums impact their bottom line and do they see that as a way to move forward from a financial perspective?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/11/20 07:22 PM
JC
I didn’t want to start a new thread, but I am watching our game vs Seattle from last year ... it’s a CRIME we didn’t win that game. In retrospect, it was probably the loss that destroyed our realistic chances.

Just horrendous coaching before half .. my goodness
Posted By: mgh888 Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/11/20 09:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
JC
I didn’t want to start a new thread, but I am watching our game vs Seattle from last year ... it’s a CRIME we didn’t win that game. In retrospect, it was probably the loss that destroyed our realistic chances.

Just horrendous coaching before half .. my goodness

The one game I was at ! Was such an awesome first first Q ... and most of the 2nd Q... I forget the bad ref calls in that game but sure there was at least a couple of very egregious calls to go with our inept play calling.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/11/20 10:55 PM
Yeah there were a few bad calls. And our red zone offense sucked so bad ... and our decision making and clock management
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/11/20 11:05 PM

But if you start to ease restrictions in areas that less effected you can get a better idea of how it moves and get a more accurate timeline in terms of estimating length of restrictions, but you'll also get more data. Right now everything is being based upon purposefully blown out of proportion data and the resulting panic.

There's going to have to be an attempt at some sort of balance, and yes that means taking some risk. This country will not make it through summer in tact if we keep these blanket, draconian, dubiously Constitutional restrictions in place.

Now how profitable or necessary it is for games to be played in front of a crowd? That's tough to know. I'm sure they make a lot of money from it, but there's also got to be a ton of cost operationally. And if NOBODY is playing games in front of a crowd, maybe the impact becomes more negligible?

Where things might get screwy is what happens if there is no season? Do those top 10 draftees still cash in on those pay checks? Do players get that free paycheck and accrue a year? Would all our recent 1 year signings get paid then be free to go wherever in 2021 without ever having played a down for us? On the flip side how can anyone justify not paying the players?

Maybe everyone's contracts are suspended for 1 year and everyone collects the league minimum at their position?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/11/20 11:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Yeah there were a few bad calls. And our red zone offense sucked so bad ... and our decision making and clock management

I was as mad as I have been in years during that game. We had things in hand and then the two dumb asses rose up and gave the game away.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/12/20 12:51 AM
I agree. We were up 20-6 with the ball and driving .. and we totally blew it
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/12/20 12:55 AM
Freddie said he was trying to go for 2 to 1 or something like that and Baker force-fed the ball and made a horrid throw. It gets picked. They score. And the game is completely altered. Two dumb asses.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/14/20 10:27 AM
j/c:

The experts.
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/14/20 10:46 AM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

The experts.

Purple please...
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/14/20 10:54 AM
j/c:

The experts.

Why not them? It really doesn't matter who provides input.

We know that people have gotten reinfected. As a season ticket holder I am not going to be happy if some "expert" says sure, no problem putting 60,000 people together in a confined space.

You also have to consider the NFLPA. I am sure they are very concerned about risking the players health and lives. If one player, or one towel boy turn up infected, pretty much the whole team has to quarantine. How is the "season" going to play out then if whole teams can't play for weeks?

What if just 2-3 better players on a team have to sit out 2 weeks, how is that going to impact the quality of play for teams?

I don't see how this season happens. It isn't worth the risk to fans or players. This season needs to be washed.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/14/20 10:57 AM
Peen, the tweet was a joke. He mentioned those teams because of bad attendance
Posted By: eotab Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/14/20 12:16 PM
j/c:

The experts.

Possibly teams needing BEER SALES The Most...lol laugh
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/14/20 12:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

It was funny, but on the other hand, peen may be right. This season could be in jeopardy.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/14/20 11:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

Ok, I am just not in a joking mood these days, so the jokes on me. Good one.

My comment still remains the same.

Every time I share my real feelings on this, threads get locked, so I won't.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/15/20 11:19 AM
I believe this season will play out in some capacity. It may be shortened but I believe we'll see football at some point.
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/15/20 11:32 AM
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
I believe this season will play out in some capacity. It may be shortened but I believe we'll see football at some point.

To maintain social distancing, we'll change the rules to flag football. Talk about a spread formation...
Posted By: Milk Man Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/15/20 01:50 PM
j/c...

Fauci says sports can return if teams are quarantined, stadiums are empty
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 15, 2020, 9:29 AM EDT

Dr. Anthony Fauci believes American sports can return sooner than some are expecting, but only if strict protocols are in place to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

Fauci said in a Snapchat interview that sports can happen in empty stadiums and with teams quarantined in hotels, rather than having players out and about in public where they might be exposed to the virus, or spreading it to others if they’ve unknowingly been exposed.

“There’s a way of doing that,” Fauci said. “Nobody comes to the stadium. Put them in big hotels, wherever you want to play . . . have them tested every week and make sure they don’t wind up infecting each other or their family and just let them play the season out.”

Fauci said he’s sympathetic to the strong desire in America to see sports again, and that he’s a fan himself.

“I want to see them play again,” he said.

It would be asking a lot of players, coaches and other league staffers to quarantine in a hotel for an entire season, but they may be willing to do it if the alternative is canceling an entire season and losing their entire salaries. The details will need to be worked out, and the NFL will have the advantage of seeing how the NBA, MLB and NHL handle it before making any decisions at the start of football season. But Fauci sounded optimistic that sports will return this year.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...iums-are-empty/
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/15/20 01:55 PM
As long as DFS doesn't take a hit, I could care less who is in the stadium outside of the players. tongue
Posted By: Milk Man Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/15/20 03:26 PM
As long as DFS doesn't take a hit, I could care less who is in the stadium outside of the players. tongue

No doubt. Betting on what number will be after the decimal point when the Dow closes is getting old!

Today's excitement: Will the share price of Chevron be up or down between 2pm EST and 3pm EST?!?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/15/20 04:42 PM
I liked the one where you could bet on which Democratic candidate would say "stock market," "Trump," "Coronovirus," "China," "Medicare," "Middle class," "Guns," etc. rofl
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/15/20 06:11 PM
j/c:

Posted By: Milk Man Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/15/20 06:42 PM
The problem with futures bets are that they are hanging on to the wage even in the event of a postponement. Your money could be out there in limbo for some time in the event the NFL season is postponed. Only officially cancelled events return the wager.

Side note, Tickemaster just hosed me (tickets to Rolling Stones at FES) and a bunch of other people. They quietly updated their refund policy to only refunding ticket money for cancelled events only and will not refund for postponed events. They did just a few days before several tours postponed their tours.

Rolling Stones postponed their tour indefinitely, so it appears Ticketmaster will hold everyone's money for an indefinite amount of time.

I'll be curious how long they will get away with that.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/15/20 10:11 PM
Do they have the cash to refund everyone’s tickets for all the cancelled and postponed shows ... they have zero revenue coming in now ... OK, maybe not zero but not to far from it ...

If they don’t have the cash they may have to file for bankruptcy to keep themselves afloat until some revenue starts coming in ...

I have NO CLUE how they managed there cash flow ... and they may have a big stash in reserve ... a big enough stash ... I’d be shocked it it was near enough ...
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/16/20 08:38 AM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Dr. Anthony Fauci believes American sports can return sooner than some are expecting, but only if strict protocols are in place to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

Fauci said in a Snapchat interview that sports can happen in empty stadiums and with teams quarantined in hotels, rather than having players out and about in public where they might be exposed to the virus, or spreading it to others if they’ve unknowingly been exposed.

“There’s a way of doing that,” Fauci said. “Nobody comes to the stadium. Put them in big hotels, wherever you want to play . . . have them tested every week and make sure they don’t wind up infecting each other or their family and just let them play the season out.”

Fauci said he’s sympathetic to the strong desire in America to see sports again, and that he’s a fan himself.

It would be asking a lot of players, coaches and other league staffers to quarantine in a hotel for an entire season, but they may be willing to do it if the alternative is canceling an entire season and losing their entire salaries. The details will need to be worked out, and the NFL will have the advantage of seeing how the NBA, MLB and NHL handle it before making any decisions at the start of football season. But Fauci sounded optimistic that sports will return this year.

That is encouraging, but it doesn't sound realistic unless you quarantine the players away from their families as well.

Say one player ends up picking it up from a wife or child. So if a player tests positive, doesn't the whole team and the team he played against last week have to go in to hiding for two weeks?

For that matter, wouldn't you have to quarantine everybody who comes in to contact with players? Coaches, locker room staff, refs, etc?
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/16/20 02:01 PM
j/c...

That is encouraging, but it doesn't sound realistic unless you quarantine the players away from their families as well.

Say one player ends up picking it up from a wife or child. So if a player tests positive, doesn't the whole team and the team he played against last week have to go in to hiding for two weeks?

For that matter, wouldn't you have to quarantine everybody who comes in to contact with players? Coaches, locker room staff, refs, etc?

Yes. The entire team would need quarantined. Coaches on down. No coming and going except for games. No family unless they’re quarantined with the team the entire time too.

I’m not holding out hope for football.

Golf seems like the only real possibility. No galleries. Just two players, two caddies per hole. The player and his caddy could be tested and ‘trust’ each other. Or the caddy would wear a mask. The two player/caddy teams could technically stay distanced from one another on the course.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/16/20 03:44 PM
I'm not all the optimistic either. It's nice to hear to give some positive news, but the idea of quarantining all the players, coaching staff, broadcasting crew, behind the scene staff, all away from their families, just does not seem realistic at all.

Are the big name players that have plenty of cash in the bank really going to agree to this? They'll just say they don't feel safe.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/16/20 03:46 PM
Would you feel safe?
Posted By: thriller Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/16/20 03:52 PM
Wasn't sure where to put this...

I just listened to the Cleveland Browns Daily Podcast with Nathan Zegura etc from yesterday. They had Bernie Kosar on for about 10 mins talking about various things and he sounded terrific, speech clear, no slurring etc. I had assumed his slurred speech we had gotten used to over the last few years was related to concussion symptoms etc, but apparently not. I guess he was under the influence of something all those times I saw and heard him up till now but he definitely was of clear mind yesterday. Good for him,this makes me feel good !
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/16/20 04:05 PM
Originally Posted By: thriller

I just listened to the Cleveland Browns Daily Podcast with Nathan Zegura etc from yesterday. They had Bernie Kosar on for about 10 mins talking about various things and he sounded terrific, speech clear, no slurring etc. I had assumed his slurred speech we had gotten used to over the last few years was related to concussion symptoms etc, but apparently not. I guess he was under the influence of something all those times I saw and heard him up till now but he definitely was of clear mind yesterday. Good for him,this makes me feel good !
\

I think Bernie had some demons that may have been exorcized. If so, good for him.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/16/20 04:31 PM

\

I think Bernie had some demons that may have been exorcized. If so, good for him.

No doubt. I'll never forget when he called into WKNR when Bruce Hooley was hosting in the afternoon and Bernie was absolutely wasted. They had to get him off the air.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/16/20 04:54 PM

Live! From sunny, San Diego!
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/16/20 04:55 PM

\

No doubt. I'll never forget when he called into WKNR when Bruce Hooley was hosting in the afternoon and Bernie was absolutely wasted. They had to get him off the air.

Yeah, there have been some really bad episodes with Bernie over the years.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/16/20 04:59 PM

Well yeah. I mean it's much harder to book a flight these days. wink
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/16/20 05:06 PM
I still genuinely enjoy and would welcome his booth work and offensive analysis. If he is now easier to understand, then so much the better. He has always impressed me with his ability to dissect what is in front of him and make what's important accessible to the fans. More like a Madden or Brennaman. That as opposed to some former Cowboy QBs who cannot take a break.

So you liked him overall?
Posted By: mac Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/16/20 05:13 PM
Quote:
World War II didn't stop MLB.

WWII was not fought in the U.S.A...in every major city as well as many of the small towns in the USA.

...but keep in mind, today we are to the point where some locations are hiding their death count, the deaths that occur in their facilities...when was the last time you expected to see something like that?...rather extreme, imo...

We are in uncharted territory where those in charge will encourage others to take the lead, while they sit in a safe place and watch, waiting to see if you get sick.

Anyone want to be a guinea pig?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/16/20 05:33 PM
Would you feel safe?

Nope.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/16/20 06:12 PM

Live, from his basement in San Diego ...... rofl

That seems to be the norm these days.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/16/20 07:13 PM
I'm working from my home office. How about you?
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/27/20 08:03 PM

ROGER GOODELL
C, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

Sports Business Daily reports the NFL considers Oct. 15 the drop-dead date for a 16-game season that could still be completed by February.

Oct. 15 would be Week 6 under normal circumstances. John Ourand and Ben Fischer report the league would strongly want any 16-game season to be completed by the end of February. In that scenario, regular season bye weeks would be eliminated as well as the traditional off week between the conference championship games and Super Bowl. For now, the league is still planning to release a normal schedule by May 7, but it will be constructed in such a way that allows easy reconfiguration. Ourand and Fischer's entire article is worth a click.

SOURCE: sportsbusinessdaily.com
Apr 27, 2020, 3:38 PM ET
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/27/20 08:20 PM
If things look good by opening day I say the season is a go even if no fans are present. I say they are though.

You cant underestimate the power the NFL weilds! They have alot of sway.
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 04/27/20 08:25 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
[quote=MemphisBrownie]Live, from his basement in San Diego ...... rofl

That seems to be the norm these days.

Basements in San Diego are a rarity. No sure why, but it might have something to do with earthquakes. I just don't know of many houses that have them here.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/01/20 08:37 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Ballpeen Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/02/20 09:42 AM
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
If things look good by opening day I say the season is a go even if no fans are present. I say they are though.

They can sway all they want, I am not going to any games.

The Browns better do what some other teams have already done and give us season ticket holders a opt out for this season.
Posted By: FATE Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/02/20 04:49 PM
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt

They can sway all they want, I am not going to any games.

The Browns better do what some other teams have already done and give us season ticket holders a opt out for this season.

I'm thinking that may become a league-wide mandate from the NFL. It's really the only fair approach to this debacle. I'll probably opt out when and if. It's enough to fly in from STL for all the games under normal circumstances, don't really want to do that in the middle of a pandemic.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/02/20 08:46 PM
j/c...

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/03/20 05:12 PM
It will be rather ironic when the very same people screaming about wanting football to have a regular season end up being the exact same people who will then boycott the NFL for supporting and upholding peaceful protests.
Posted By: bonefish Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/04/20 04:07 PM

Five Braves tested positive including Freddie Freeman.

Mike Trout and his wife are expecting. He is very concerned and rightfully so.

I want to watch games. However, it may not be worth it. If I was a player and had family that I thought I would be putting at risk. Not sure if I would play.

This is a difficult situation. Lot of factors involved. Many people would be at risk inside and outside the locker room.

This virus at this point is out of control.

For those who have not been infected it is close to where we will all know someone who has. The risk of death is for real. The US is in deep and it is not like "it will just disappear."
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/04/20 05:18 PM

Five Braves tested positive including Freddie Freeman.

Mike Trout and his wife are expecting. He is very concerned and rightfully so.

I want to watch games. However, it may not be worth it. If I was a player and had family that I thought I would be putting at risk. Not sure if I would play.

This is a difficult situation. Lot of factors involved. Many people would be at risk inside and outside the locker room.

This virus at this point is out of control.

For those who have not been infected it is close to where we will all know someone who has. The risk of death is for real. The US is in deep and it is not like "it will just disappear."

I’ve dealt with COVID as a nurse. Now I have very dear friends that are COVID positive. A buddy’s family. He’s tested negative but his wife and two daughters are positive. Various levels of ‘sick’. He’s quarantined in his basement riding it out. Hoping for the speedy recovery of his family upstairs.
This will effect someone you know soon enough. Be assured of that.
Wear your masks. Stay home when you can. Be diligent when you can’t.
Posted By: bonefish Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/04/20 06:50 PM

The United States is in chaos.

The lack of leadership has put the US square into the cross-hairs of this virus.

Until there is a vaccine and treatment. Thousands more will die. At this point it is up to each individual.

There is no safety net. Other people will do as they have done. Many will ignore all caution.

The telling stat to me was: "if a vaccine was available today 33% would not get vaccinated."

A high level vaccine will work to about 75% effectiveness.

So, people have choices to make on their own.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/04/20 07:08 PM
And their poor decisions will negatively impact many Americans and this nation as a whole.

And then people wonder why foreigners consider Americans idiots.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/04/20 07:28 PM

The United States is in chaos.

The lack of leadership has put the US square into the cross-hairs of this virus.

Until there is a vaccine and treatment. Thousands more will die. At this point it is up to each individual.

There is no safety net. Other people will do as they have done. Many will ignore all caution.

The telling stat to me was: "if a vaccine was available today 33% would not get vaccinated."

A high level vaccine will work to about 75% effectiveness.

So, people have choices to make on their own.

I will say I’ve seen much better adherence to mask rules locally. It’s been refreshing. The holiday weekend will inevitably drive up numbers because people just can’t not socialize. It’s so frustrating but it is what it is. Add alcohol to the festivities, masks drop, and social distancing with peer groups only gets sloppier and drunken voices louder... expelling more virus. So this weekend is going to be disastrous.
My hope is on the other side of this, in 3 weeks or so, the numbers start to go back down quickly. Masks work. If everybody sticks with it, and socially distances once again, the numbers should improve.
Fingers crossed.
Posted By: bonefish Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/04/20 08:40 PM

I just don't see it. The crowd picture at the trump rally. Didn't see a mask.

The pictures I see of people at beaches. Not good.

I am not optimistic.

In fact I expect the numbers to get way worse. Schools will reopen. Many will return to school. I am sure schools will take precautions. However, large numbers even with caution will no doubt spread virus. Contact tracing will reach a point where it will not happen.

This was handled incorrectly from the beginning. And the price to pay for those mistakes put us here and will continue to keep us behind.

Posted By: Milk Man Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/07/20 02:59 AM
j/c...

Posted By: Milk Man Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/09/20 04:16 PM
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/09/20 04:24 PM
Ivy League cancels football, fall sports, pushes basketball, hockey to Jan. 1 at earliest (report)

https://www.masslive.com/umassfootball/2...est-report.html
Posted By: Milk Man Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/09/20 05:31 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Milk Man Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/09/20 05:41 PM
Just received an email from the Browns and it allows STH to opt of 2020 while still retaining your seats for the 2021 season.

Your money can be returned to you or rolled over and applied to 2021 season tickets.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/09/20 05:43 PM
Browns communicate with season ticket members about 2020 season

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-communicate-with-season-ticket-members-about-2020-season

The Browns on Thursday communicated important updates to their loyal base of season ticket members and provided preliminary expectations for the upcoming season.

While plans in most capacities remain fluid, one thing is certain: This upcoming season will look very different because of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. The Browns remain in regular communication with state and local authorities, health departments and other medical experts as they continue to devise their operational plans for the 2020 season.

Though the Browns and the NFL remain confident games will be played, the likelihood of them occurring in full stadiums is very low. There will also be new policies and requirements for fans to follow when they arrive at games, such as physical distancing requirements, mandated facial coverings for everyone in the stadium, robust cleaning and disinfecting protocols, and changes to stadium layout, seat locations and fan circulation.

Browns season ticket members have been offered the opportunity to opt out of purchasing season tickets for the 2020 season while still retaining their seat location and priority for the 2021 season, along with certain season ticket member benefits. Even if the members do not opt out, the Browns can't currently guarantee they will receive tickets to a specific number of games or for particular seat locations during the 2020 season.

Here is the letter Browns season ticket holders received Thursday:

We hope this email finds you and your family safe and healthy. We appreciate your continued support and loyalty to the Browns as a general or club seat season ticket member during these unprecedented past several months. We are energized by your passion and are diligently preparing to open the 2020 season with health and safety as our highest priority. We have been, and will remain, in regular communication with our state and local authorities, health departments and other medical experts, as well as the NFL, and are committed to following their guidance for our operations this season.

We are still in the process of developing our fan protocols and stadium operations plan for the 2020 season, but it is clear that the fan experience will be different. We have received preliminary guidance from the NFL (developed in conjunction with the CDC and national medical experts) regarding some of the policies and requirements that will likely be in place for NFL gamedays this season. These will include physical distancing requirements, mandated facial coverings for everyone in the stadium, robust cleaning and disinfecting protocols, and changes to stadium layout, seat locations and fan circulation. We will communicate more details around the stadium protocols and plan once finalized and approved. Please understand that these guidelines are fluid and may continue to evolve with the circumstances surrounding COVID-19 over the coming weeks and months.

As we are sure you can appreciate, we need to be flexible during this unique time, and while we remain confident that games will be played at FirstEnergy Stadium this year, the likelihood of being able to play in front of a full stadium is low at this time. It is also very possible that the preseason schedule will be shortened, and capacity allowances or game schedules may also change during the course of the season. We are planning for a number of scenarios and will share more information when it becomes available.

As we plan for the return of football this fall, given the current uncertainties, we are offering each season ticket member the opportunity to opt out of purchasing season tickets for the 2020 season and to still retain their seat location and priority for the 2021 season, along with certain season ticket member benefits this season (including merchandise discounts, mobile RedZone and access to membership services representatives). Any amounts paid to date for the 2020 season will be automatically applied to the 2021 season unless you indicate that you would prefer to receive a refund. Additionally, for season ticket members who are also PSL holders, all PSL rights and obligations will remain for 2021. If you would like to opt out of purchasing your season tickets for the 2020 season, you can do so by clicking here or the button below and we will be excited to see you in 2021. Please note that even if you do not opt out at this time, we are currently unable to guarantee that any fan will receive tickets to a specific number of games or for particular seat locations during the 2020 season.

We encourage you to call your Membership Services Representative at 440-891-5050 with any questions regarding your account, and sincerely appreciate your patience and support throughout this process. We will be in touch soon with further information, and we wish you all the best.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/09/20 06:51 PM
j/c...

Daryl with the Dad joke.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/09/20 06:52 PM
Just received an email from the Browns and it allows STH to opt of 2020 while still retaining your seats for the 2021 season.

Your money can be returned to you or rolled over and applied to 2021 season tickets.

Are you leaning in any particular direction?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/09/20 06:59 PM
I opted out.

I didn't like seeing this... Please note that even if you do not opt out at this time, we are currently unable to guarantee that any fan will receive tickets to a specific number of games or for particular seat locations during the 2020 season.

I have two seats so twenty total tickets per year. Under the Browns original survey they hinted at giving STH extra seats to make up for the possibility of only being able to attend a select number of games. My concern would be I can only go to 5 games, but they give me 4 tickets per game. Hard pass on that option for me.

The other factor, what if before the game, Chubb, Baker, OBJ etc all test positive and I'm paying full price to watch a bunch of back-ups. Obviously, injuries can happen any season, but it just seems there is a high probability of players testing positive for Covid-19 this season keeping them from playing.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/09/20 07:32 PM
I think you made the right move, FWIW.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/09/20 09:44 PM
j/c:

I think the Ivy League was the first to cancel their BB tournaments. They are now the first to postpone/cancel their football other sports.

Maybe learn from the "smart" guys? It sucks because I really, really want there to watch sports again, but I think it might be wise to be safer.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/09/20 09:44 PM
On a side note, the Big 10 is committing to play only conference games. So is the ACC. I think this is just another step to NO fall season. Maybe spring?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/10/20 09:16 AM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

I think the Ivy League was the first to cancel their BB tournaments. They are now the first to postpone/cancel their football other sports.

Maybe learn from the "smart" guys? It sucks because I really, really want there to watch sports again, but I think it might be wise to be safer.

Probably should. The advantage the Ivy has is they don't rely on sports revenue as much as other schools. Sports is a part of the experience, it isn't the experience if that makes any sense. All of those schools have deep, deep pockets.
Posted By: FATE Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/18/20 02:02 AM
Just wondering if any season ticket holders have been informed of refund procedure and timetable?
Posted By: EveDawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/18/20 02:05 AM
What happens to people who bought tickets from season ticket holders (stubhub, etc) but then the season ticket holders decide to opt out?

Is the team still selling/honoring those tickets?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/18/20 02:07 AM
Yes. I think Milk, W8, etc posted about it on the Games w/out Fans Next Year thread.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/18/20 02:07 AM
That's a good question.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/18/20 09:24 AM
Originally Posted By: FATE
Just wondering if any season ticket holders have been informed of refund procedure and timetable?

I don't know about the timetable. We did get a note last week to get a refund or forward the money to next years tickets.

I elected to apply the money to 2021 tickets. I figured that money was already spent and gone.
Posted By: FATE Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/18/20 01:08 PM
I get that, Peen. I actually considered doing the same. But I don't even pay my bills early - I pay them on the day they're due... ain't no way a billionaire needs my money 1.5 years before he delivers the product.

I'm just curious because I pay with a credit card for the points. Capital One did me dirty when I was younger and I've been using them and paying off the card every month for years. I've stolen back way more than what the took from me lol. I wonder what would happen when I have a $9000 credit? Would they issue a check or bank transfer? I'm sure I would lose the points. I'd rather just have Jimmah write me a check...
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/18/20 02:10 PM
I get that, Peen. I actually considered doing the same. But I don't even pay my bills early - I pay them on the day they're due... ain't no way a billionaire needs my money 1.5 years before he delivers the product.

I'm just curious because I pay with a credit card for the points. Capital One did me dirty when I was younger and I've been using them and paying off the card every month for years. I've stolen back way more than what the took from me lol. I wonder what would happen when I have a $9000 credit? Would they issue a check or bank transfer? I'm sure I would lose the points. I'd rather just have Jimmah write me a check...

I don't think you would lose the points unless they credited your account. I probably should have thought of that. I use a Marriott Visa card. I like staying at Marriott properties. I pay all my bills through that card. I earn 8-10 nights a year just paying bills. Like you I pay off monthly, but once is a while I'll maintain a balance on there for a month or two. To spread out a larger purchase two or three ways or to toss them a bone every now and then.

great card. Low annual fee, points for every dollar charged, triple points at a Marriott property.

I maintain Gold Elite status. Give you priority check-in....late check outs, if the hotel isn't packed, the desk clerks give me upgrades all the time if staying a hotel that has several grades of rooms.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/18/20 11:58 PM
I agree w/you on when to pay your bills and how to properly use a credit card.

I use an online bill pay feature and I make sure that each bill is paid on the exact day it is due [excluding weekends] and I pay off the entire amount of the card each month. I paid interest when I was young and dumb. No more.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/19/20 12:03 AM
#1 rule of becoming rich.

Dont spend more than you make.
Pay off the debt when it is due or sooner if possible.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/19/20 12:07 AM
It's also the number one rule of not being consumed by debt.

I never buy anything [other than houses or cars] that I can't pay off before interest kicks in.

I pay the cards off monthly. No interest ever.

My HVAC unit was expensive, but we got a no-interest loan through the companies lender where we just make monthly payments.

Same our big-screen TVs. I got this last one through Best Buy and they have no interest if you pay it off w/in 24 months.

Other companies like Lowes have similar offers. Paying interest sucks!
Posted By: FATE Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/19/20 02:20 PM
Good stuff. That's the other side of winning the interest battle, using OPM (other people's money). I always take advantage when making a purchase.

Paypal Credit aka Bill Me Later is great for online purchases. Six months interest free. I've used that numerous times for new and used restaurant equipment.

My wife and I last paid interest on anything in 2006...
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/19/20 02:59 PM
Wow! That's impressive. You must be richer by now, or at least much better footing. My compliments. thumbsup
Posted By: FATE Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/19/20 05:23 PM
Let's just say that a lot of sacrifice early paid huge dividends later. wink Life is a lot easier without being a slave to debt.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/20/20 02:15 PM
Let's just say that a lot of sacrifice early paid huge dividends later. wink Life is a lot easier without being a slave to debt.

So true, and I try to pass that on to young people I meet along the way.

It's easy to put that put stuff on credit because $30/mo doesn't seem like much, until you look at the total cost over the life of the payment, and you ended up spending $1200 for that $500 item. And in many cases the item breaks or is replaced before it's fully paid off.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 07/20/20 04:04 PM
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan

So true, and I try to pass that on to young people I meet along the way.

It's easy to put that put stuff on credit because $30/mo doesn't seem like much, until you look at the total cost over the life of the payment, and you ended up spending $1200 for that $500 item. And in many cases the item breaks or is replaced before it's fully paid off.

And the bank keeps extending your credit limit and you end up with a $8000 balance.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 08/24/20 03:08 PM
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 08/24/20 08:59 PM
ban the mayor from tailgates. Daggone it! What does it take to lift this down the road?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 09/03/20 04:47 PM
j/c...

Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 09/03/20 05:14 PM
With proper social distancing, that will hold 6-12 dawgs.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 09/04/20 11:53 AM
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
With proper social distancing, that will hold 6-12 dawgs.

The way I see it, looks like 4. I saw one of the comments....$750. That has to be for the season and better include some included food offerings. Most local and state liquor laws prevent free alcohol.

Maybe a special price on a bucket of 6 on ice.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 09/05/20 03:51 PM
Posted By: lampdogg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 09/05/20 11:16 PM
If you’re going to allow 6K for two home games, why not all of them?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 09/06/20 02:12 PM
j/c:

Thoughts on the Browns allowing fans to attend the first two games?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 09/06/20 03:05 PM
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

I think that as with a lot of things concerning the Covid virus it's more experimental to see how things go.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 09/06/20 04:26 PM

Because you can spread out?
Posted By: captainphil Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 09/06/20 04:47 PM
Ive decided to keep my tix for 2020. Got an updated email from Browns on how tickets will be distributed.

Here is a link to the plan. https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/tickets/2020-ticketing-plan
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 09/06/20 07:03 PM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 09/06/20 07:44 PM
Lol.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 09/06/20 07:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

I think Lamp is saying "why not all the games" not all the fans.

I believe DeWine announced only the first two months in order to re-evaluate after that time. They could allow more fans after that or scale back if there is spike in infections that can be traced back to the crowds at games.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 09/06/20 08:18 PM
tongue
Posted By: Rishuz Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 09/06/20 09:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

I think Lamp is saying "why not all the games" not all the fans.

I believe DeWine announced only the first two months in order to re-evaluate after that time. They could allow more fans after that or scale back if there is spike in infections that can be traced back to the crowds at games.

Totally went over my head!
Posted By: lampdogg Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 09/06/20 10:00 PM
Correct, & thank you, sir.

Edit: your explanation is likely spot on.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 09/08/20 06:12 PM
Posted By: captainphil Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 09/14/20 03:00 PM
Instead of the scheduled window to buy tix, the Browns went live this morning with a Flash sale for Thursday Night's game, making tickets available to all STH. I claimed 4 in the Dawg Pound.

I have to imagine the poor performance yesterday in Baltimore had Browns worried they could get even the 6000 in attendance.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: A Real Discussion - The Season - 09/17/20 05:42 PM
j/c...

© DawgTalkers.net