DawgTalkers.net
MLB discussing plan to start season in late June, playing in home stadiums with realigned league

Bob Nightengale
USA TODAY
April 28, 2019

Maybe it’s a dream scenario.

Maybe it’s premature to get excited.

Then again, maybe it just might work.

Major League Baseball officials have become cautiously optimistic this week that the season will start in late June, and no later than July 2, playing at least 100 regular-season games, according to three executives with knowledge of the talks. They requested anonymity because the plan is still under consideration.

And not only would baseball be played, but it would be played in their own major-league ballparks, albeit with no fans.

MLB is considering a three-division, 10-team plan in which teams play only within their division – a concept gaining support among owners and executives. It would abolish the traditional American and National Leagues, and realign the divisions based on geography.

The plan, pending approval of medical experts and providing that COVID-19 testing is available to the public, would eliminate the need for players to be in isolation and allow them to still play at their home ballparks while severely reducing travel.
better be

The divisions would keep many of the natural rivals together, while playing one another before an expanded playoff format.

Here's a look at the possible realignment structure:

EAST
New York Yankees and Mets, Boston Red Sox, Washington Nationals, Baltimore Orioles, Philadelphia Phillies, Pittsburgh Pirates, Toronto Blue Jays, Tampa Bay Rays, Miami Marlins

WEST
Los Angeles Dodgers and Angels, San Francisco Giants, Oakland Athletics, San Diego Padres, Arizona Diamondbacks, Colorado Rockies, Texas Rangers, Houston Astros, Seattle Mariners

CENTRAL
Chicago Cubs and Chicago White Sox, Milwaukee Brewers, St. Louis Cardinals, Kansas City Royals, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Minnesota Twins, Atlanta Braves, Detroit Tigers

It’s too early to expound on the details, the officials cautioned, with new ideas floated each week.

It’s also not known whether teams would have to open the season in Arizona, Florida and Texas for several weeks before everyone could return to their home stadiums. Yet, they could squeeze in 100 to 110 games, and perhaps even have several thousand fans in attendance before or during the playoffs.

“It’s all coming together,’’ one of the officials said. “I’m very optimistic."

One of the additional benefits to playing in major-league cities is it would alleviate a possible split among players who are opposed to playing the entire season in Arizona/Florida/Texas. Several high-profile players, including the Angels' Mike Trout and the Dodgers' Clayton Kershaw expressed strong resistance to playing the season away from their families.

MLB and union officials have yet to engage in formal discussions about the financial ramifications of playing without fans, with three owners telling USA TODAY Sports three weeks ago that they would refuse to play unless the players were willing to take a pay cut. Four other team officials insist they would require financial relief from the players.

Yet, there is now optimism among executives that they could settle their differences in negotiations on a sliding scale depending on the loss of revenue from gate receipts, parking and concessions. Teams also would have to revise their revenue-sharing plan.

The most encouraging signs, the officials said, is that testing is becoming more available, more states are re-opening, and more politicians such as New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot saying teams could play in their own ballparks this summer.

MLB teams likely will still return to their own spring-training facilities in Arizona and Florida when they resume workouts. Players are expected to be given a week to return to spring training sites, and have 18 to 21 days before the start of the season.

Veteran agent Scott Boras proposed that players report to spring training in May, beginning with the pitchers and catchers. Players would be isolated from the population for three to four weeks, grouping them according to whether they ever tested positive with no symptoms, were hospitalized, have recovered with antibodies or tested negative.

“We have strong young athletes,’’ Boras said, “and we can ready them. They want to create a return to normalcy and certainly our national pastime is a sign of that.’’

MLB officials are hoping it won’t be necessary to quarantine players, and normalcy will prevail once the regular season commences, but the schedule and playoff format promises to be dramatically different.

“This is going to be a season,’’ one of the executives said, “like we’ve never seen.

“But that’s fine. It’s at least a season.’’

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ml...une/3039275001/
Maybe we should play out the remainder of the 1994 season?
I'm guessing NL fans should probably get used to the idea of a DH, at least for this year
At this point it makes the most sense to me to have geographic divisions ... but to have 3 of them? How would the playoffs work? Just take the top 8 records and reseed?
Unknown at this point. Stay tuned.
Don't do it.

Too many moving parts for transmission to occur. Keep everyone involved safe and shut everything down till R0 is less than 1.
You get paid regardless, am I right?
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
At this point it makes the most sense to me to have geographic divisions ... but to have 3 of them? How would the playoffs work? Just take the top 8 records and reseed?

Wouldn't you take 10? Isn't that what they normally have? Take top two in each division them the next 4 highest records.
Originally Posted By: jaybird

Wouldn't you take 10? Isn't that what they normally have? Take top two in each division them the next 4 highest records.
Yeah, it’s just strange to have 3 divisions ... how do you decide who plays who in the first round ... I guess the seeding part of the bracket would be my question

Yeah, it’s just strange to have 3 divisions ... how do you decide who plays who in the first round ... I guess the seeding part of the bracket would be my question

Well, you can rest assured they'll still capitalize on the revenue from a one of a kind post season... I'm sure there will be at least two teams from each division in the playoffs.
* Debbie Downer Alert*

Brian Windhorst is on WKNR right now and basically laid out why this MLB 100 game season is completely pie in the sky and there is about a zero percent chance of it happening.
Right now everyone is trying to put forth the best possible scenario. Nothing wrong with that. But that's all they are.
Saw one report that said your get12 playoff teams with the bottom 8 doing a one game wild card game and then playing best of 5 or 7
Saw one report that said your get12 playoff teams with the bottom 8 doing a one game wild card game and then playing best of 5 or 7
That makes sense then ... 4 from each division
j/c...

First off I miss baseball bad.

I am retired. Baseball is like a daily routine. I don't watch every game but I listen. I follow. It is part of summer for me.

My favorite time of year is Fall. Baseball has races and then playoffs. Football is just beginning. The weather is right. All good stuff.

Not having that daily dose is hard after all the years I have been around that game.

I will happy if they can make something work.
I just don't understand why guys think they can get away with using this stuff when they know they'll be tested for it. I'm pretty sure the Indians were counting on him to be their set-up guy for Brad Hand and now he's, effectively speaking, out for the year. Now watch Kluber have a C.Y. type season for Texas. So annoying.
Half the games. Half the teams. Half the time. Twice the playoff slots. Team rock-paper-scissors for world series.

Easy-peasy. Tribe has a chance for a change.

Wahoo! Go, Tribe!
We're getting Koeran Baseball!....

GO DINOS!!
I have to stick with the LG Twins since LG made one of my TVs and my cell phone.
j/c...

Originally Posted By: Milk Man

players are already used to this.

MLB never has any fans at games. I'm not even sure I understand how hey are still in business.
I heard on the radio that the new proposal will be for an 82 game schedule with expanded playoffs and a universal DH.
And it looks like teams will only play teams in their region ... so AL East will only play AL/NL East teams
j/c...

AP source: No MLB economic plan in 1st session with players
By RONALD BLUM today

NEW YORK (AP) — Major League Baseball did not include an economic proposal during its opening presentation to the players’ union on terms to start the coronavirus-delayed season.

Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker criticized big leaguers for not being willing to cut pay further at a news conference on Tuesday, and Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey said his state is open to games without spectators for all the major sports starting Saturday.

The electronic meeting of MLB and the players’ association lasted between three and four hours and consisted of baseball officials explaining their view of the economics, science and logistics of getting the season under way, several people familiar with the session told The Associated Press. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because no details were announced.

Owners gave the go-ahead Monday for a proposal that players receive the percentage of their 2020 salaries based on a 50-50 split of revenues MLB receives during the regular season and postseason, a person familiar with that plan told the AP. That person also spoke on condition of anonymity because the plan was not announced.

The concept would cut the expenses of teams worried about playing in empty ballparks due to the pandemic. The union views revenue sharing as a salary cap, which it has said it will never agree to, and the concept was not presented.

If empty stadiums or neutral sites are used, an agreement with the players’ association is needed to play ball.

Opening day was to have been March 26. MLB’s plan could lead to the season starting around the Fourth of July with an 82-game regular season, playoffs expanding from 10 teams to 14 and the designated hitter used for the first time in games between National League teams.

MLB officials showed slides during the meeting and the union delegation, which included players, caucused and asked questions. Baseball officials explained how they would use a lab in Utah to give the sport its own testing ability, the people said.

Baseball officials also expressed concern about a second wave of the coronavirus in the fall and their worries it could force cancellation of the postseason. While players are paid their salaries during the regular season, the bulk of MLB’s national broadcasting revenue derives from the postseason.

Players agreed March 26 to a deal in which they would be paid prorated shares of salaries based on the portion of the 162-game regular-season schedule that is played. As part of that agreement, if no games are played they would receive service time for 2020 matching what they earned last year.

The average MLB salary is $4.4 million at full price if the season had started on time.

“I realize that the players have the right to haggle over their salaries, but we do live in a moment where the people of Illinois and the people of the United States deserve to get their pastime back, to watch, anyway, on television,” Pritzker said in response to the last question of his news conference.

“If they’re able to come up with safety precautions, as has been suggested by Major League Baseball, that works, I hope that the players will understand that the people of our United States need them to recognize that this is an important part of leisure time that all of us want to have during the summer, to watch them play baseball, to root for our favorite teams,” the Illinois Democrat said. “We need that back, that normalcy back, and I hope they’ll be reasonable as they negotiate. But I must say I’m disappointed in many ways that players are holding out for these very, very high salaries and payments during a time when I think everybody is sacrificing.”

https://apnews.com/40152868f4232f2797c93...aign=SocialFlow
I have a feeling the season won’t happen .. players won’t accept a reduced salary and owners surely won’t budge on the 50/50 proposal ... and both sides will hide behind “testing” and safety
I think its smart to settle health and safety issues before moving on to money. More than anything, players are rightfully concerned that they will not be put at unnecessary risk, and that steps will be taken to protect them. I think the money issues will be settled somewhat easier than is believed because the players know that the 2020 deal is a one-off, and making something is better than making nothing. Second, the players have to be aware of the terrible optics they'll present to the public that is suffering nearly 15% unemployment during the pandemic by refusing to play for an average of $3M per year (or whatever it is) instead of their normal $4.4M.
Completely disagree

I agree that the 50/50 won’t hold but they will figure out to have a season
Selfish, entitled douchebag says what? Talk about having a tin ear; Blake Snell needs a reality check. Tell that to the doctors, nurses, policemen, firemen, truck drivers, grocery workers, and so on, Snell.

Completely tone deaf. Over 30 million people out of work and many others taking a reduction in pay to continue to work.

Terrible look. Just say nothing at all regarding the finances or returning.

NBA players have agreed to take a reduction salary. MLB can't get out of it's own way.
Even if he thinks that way, the fact that he’d say it is idiotic. Just not something he should vocalize right now
What a well-spoken, thoughtful young man.
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Maybe we should play out the remainder of the 1994 season?

As a Braves Fan, I'd be glad to see them Repeat.
First time my team won a championship, and the begin to the end of me watching Baseball ever again.

I became a Braves fan because able to watch Superstation TBS, hatred for Reds fans' obnoxious boasting, and developing an appreciation for the best pitching staff ever assembled.

Ended up being the only person in my family, happy listening to those World Series games in 95' I was so excited.
after 3 games in, I knew there was no freakin way they were losing that series. Maddox, was the most inconsistent, he came up big.
Glavine, I was most worried about, after he came up big in game whatever, and knowing Smoltz and Maddox were going to come back,

It'd be like Dontrell Hilliard coming up big as a starting rusher in 7 game running back series'
and know you've got Chubb, and (someone) Adrian Peterson probably,

Never really watched baseball before 1990, not surely 162 games, and the devastating results for the Braves against the Toronto team in or around 1991-1992 and 93, 93 getting over the Giants or Pirates, other nemesis'

In 95 had a chance to watch over 110 Braves games, 6 innings+ and saw the pre season look abouts on HBO and ESPN,
had to listen to locals, (Columbus Ohio) talk about an "I 71" series, Cinncinnati- Cleveland,
and I was out numbered, I had to be like, are you freaking kidding, have you seen the just plain determination the Braves had all their ,

Dude! The backup Players, and Pitchers were (musta been competeing) for on base percentage, because they were all having career years.
Role players, (think like O'neil Cousins OL, making blocks 13 yards downfield)
And I really didn't have any hopes, offensively, ya know, MgGriff, and Chipper Jones, they weren't exactly on par with, well the Indians "greatest show on terf" type of output that year, but
also rans, on the Braves like Rhine Klesko were coming up big, and

NO or little fanfare, nationaly for the Braves in 95' they were (ticked), and I could tell by watching the games, June games, July games, they, well every series,
every series,all year long,
They either won it, or they won it by a lot, or they swept it, but if they lost a single series, they were mad, and it almost didn't happen at all, until later in the year, before the playoffs were about to start.

But we didn't know what was going to happen against the Indians', I tell you what, they had a LOT of players to fear on the Indians that year, Lofton, and Bell, and a ton of others I forget.
I didn't understand your pitchers though, just hadn't seen or known who was.

But I'm telling ya what, I got excited, 2 games before, (see no team I'd rooted for had ever been world champs, .. including the Browns, 84,86, so I was real worried, don't get your hopes up, you know championships never go well for you )

But I'd watched a ton of series' of the Braves that year, and it was all about pitching, and pitching matchups, (and I really liked Wohlers' closing at that time)

and Bobby Cox, Braves manager, and setting up, using the less reliable pitcher, and the series, and it goes up like 2 games to 1,

or something I forget, there was just a time, I knew,
I knew, there ain't no flippin way, These guys I've watched play 100 games, 30 or more series' they've only lost like 3-6 series' all year, and every time, they started losing about 2 of the first 2

Up 2 games to 1, and We only got to win 2 of the next 5, and our good pitchers are coming up,
and they haven't even used Smoltz yet maybe, and everyone knows he's been the best era guy for the last month and or he's going to come back if game 7
And Maddox, inconsistent Maddox who all those wins by putting balls into play, pop up outs, and pop fouls always bailing him out,

It would be something like, starting Brantley, the dude who almost didn't get a game in the past 20, and certainly not one that was pivotal, and if he got the start and won game 3, Not sure, but , if ya didn't win against him, you got no chance vs.

I mean, tomorrow nights' going to be a Tyson vs McNeley fight of a pitching matchup, and there ain't no way, Ever, having to win only 2 games in the next 5,

pffff, I mean, if the Off, can get 2 runs, I think Glavine, Maddox, and Smoltz were so motivated to go pitch back, to back, to back, 19 inning shutout's if that what it was going to take,
and they were just fighting each other for who was going to get the opportunity
Braves woulda repeated, probably 3-peated if the right umpires were in the New York World Series in 96' and then if the correct call at 3rd base were made, woulda beat Toronto' 91-ish

Braves Dynasty! Man would Love! to replay that 1995 series, 110 wins for the Indians that season, but they weren't the most motivated team.

------------- Got side tracked.

MLB should use 6 inning games, day and night double headers, end tie games after the 7th, For ONE YEAR ONLY< give the victory to the team with more hits, after 7 innings, and if that is equal, call the game a tie.

Less innings, you can fit more games in, and if you charge the same rate for games,
players get paid, teams get paid
Fans get to see a game, just lasts a little less time.

Nobody wins, everybody loses somewhat equally, and the fans get screwed, ( so win win basically from the teams' standpoint).
Loved my Yanks beating the Braves in the 90s.
Originally Posted By: Hammer
Loved my Yanks beating the Braves in the 90s.
that 96 series was one of the most improbable IMO ... Atlanta won games 1-2 in NYC ... NY BARELY nips them in game 3, and then was down 6–0 in game 4 ... until Leyritz hit the big HR ... Yankees then win in extras, and then BARELY win game 5 on a great play by Paul O’Neill ... and then barely win game 6

Atlanta realistically could have won 6 straight games
Re-do 1994?

Yes. I’d love to. The Montreal Expos, my team, had a six-game lead on Atlanta in the NL east, led the wildcard race by 10 or 12, until the early August stoppage.
I forgot that Montreal had such a good squad! ... and they’d soon be gone
Seems like the MLB has dropped the ball once again
j/c...

j/c...

Buster is as connected as it gets too ... shame they wasted an opportunity to grow the game while nothing else is going on for 4-6 weeks
That honestly seems more fair than I thought the owners would do ... pretty decent compromise.

The players should accept IMO
Players are not going to sign this.

A big difference w/less games tho: less risk of injury for their future contracts
THREAD: Here's how to understand MLB's current offer to the players as compared to its last offer and the possibility of a 48-game season.

Original offer: 82 games, players receive $1.03B in salary and $200M if playoffs are played.

Current offer: 76 games, players receive $989M in salary and $443M if playoffs are played, plus no direct draft-pick compensation.

48-game option: $1.03B in salary, no playoff money

The structure of the league’s last two offers are the same: a 50% cut on prorated salary, plus a playoff bonus. This one, bonus doubled, and with a $50M playoff pool to be distributed to players, it would take them in total to ~75% of prorated salaries if postseason is played.

Players see it like they’re getting less guaranteed, which they are. The expanded playoff pool adds higher potential upside, and the dropping of direct draft-pick compensation unquestionably helps some of the best free agents. But players have held firm on 100% prorated salaries.

Every day that goes by without an agreement, the length of the season drops. And after hearing from players already about this proposal, the prospect of a 48-game season is looking likelier. They've been asked to respond by Wednesday, according to sources.

One high-ranking official today said, in no uncertain terms: “There will be baseball.” The question is: Will it be with the sides agreeing to a deal or with the league implementing a 48-game schedule, no expanded playoffs and almost certainly a grievance filed by the union?

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1270020467911536641
The 76 game offer seems like the ideal one for the players
The 76 game offer seems like the ideal one for the players

Except they still are losing salary.
My understanding was the playoff purse was highest in that case? ... maybe not their salaries of course
Baseball, they labeled it “doping” for a reason.
I'm happy to see baseball back. Same with NBA and NHL. Big sports fan period.
The start and end dates indicate approximately half a season will be played ... 75-85 games, give or take.
I would say its better than no season at all. I think MLB would further hurt its image and marketing strength if there were no season at all. Of the 4 major sports I really believe MLB has dropped to 3rd in popularity behind the NFL and NBA. They can't afford to hurt themselves further.
j/c...

I like drafting a guy with more than 2 good pitches
Updated World Series odds (BetOnline):

LAD +375
NYY +450
HOU +1200
ATL/MIN +2000
OAK +2200
NYM/STL +2500
TB +2800
CWS/CIN/LAA/WAS +3000
CHC/CLE +3300
PHI +4000
BOS/MIL/SD +5000
ARI +6600
TEX +10000
COL/SF/TOR +15000
DET/KC/PIT/SEA +30000
BAL/MIA +50000
Looks like we’re in for a 48 game season and regular playoffs ... and then a huge lockout in 18 months

Source: MLB reaches billion-dollar deal with Turner Sports to air playoff games

ESPN
June 14, 2020

Major League Baseball has reached a billion-dollar deal with Turner Sports, giving the broadcast company continued rights to air playoff games, a source confirmed to ESPN.

Read more at:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2930...r-playoff-games

My calculator doesn't go to a billion, but I believe that means 30 teams will get more than $33.3 Million each.
j/c...

I think there will be, but it’ll be like 48 games with no expanded playoffs ... and a huge labor dispute in 18 months. MLB is so broken
j/c...

j/c...

The owners don’t want to play.
Ugh
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
j/c...

The owners don’t want to play.

Looks that way...

j/c:

So the union wins ... maybe lol
They'll figure out a way to screw this up.
And then everyone will pick sides on who screwed it up.

Get 'er done!

The framework of the deal between Manfred and union chief Clark included: 60 games at 100% full prorated pay, waiver of grievances, 16-team expanded playoffs for 2 years, universal DH, more. Owner sources say it was agreed to pending constituency approval, meaning owners, players

Early word is players don’t love the 60 games and some are even calling it a proposal not the agreement owners see it as. Owners view it as an agreed-to deal with players’ option being to turn it down, whereupon they could get a 50-game mandated season as allowed by March 26 deal

Owners also agree to $25M player playoff pool plus $33M in salary forgiveness for players already fronted part of $170M advance so min. $ guys wouldn’t return for no $. So in effect players get >100% prorated. In any case some players view latest as only proposal, not agreement

Owners are believed ready to sign off on what they see as a deal — 60 games at prorated pay, plus $58M in playoff pool/salary forgiveness, waiver of grievances, expanded playoffs for 2 years — but the ball is in the hands of players, some of whom see it as a proposal, not a deal

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman
Within the last year two doors down moved in.
A young couple. I don't know them well cause I've been secluded in my house for a while but some neighborly discussion was being done and I was introduced to them. The Female a nice young lady I was informed works high up in the Baseball Commissioner's office. Got to get closer with them and talk some baseball...lol laugh
j/c...

j/c...

Play ball!
Seems to me like neither side really wants to play
Just remember with many young people who has gotten the virus their symptoms are mild in comparison with the High risk crowd. Also many are carriers of the Virus without symptoms so when they test positive and their are several. Yes, they must go in some isolation protocol but their return is imminent and the key is testing, Isolation for those carrying the virus and simply washing your hands and I say face with some soap that kills 99.9% of virus - I use Dial products.

We have to learn how to survive this virus. But with players somebody getting it is imminent. They can create a bubble but it is not fool proof. The key is early detection.

Professional golfer Nick Watney was not feeling good and after reporting his symptoms when finishing his first round he was tested and the next morning it was announced that he was dropping out of the tournament and was tested positive.

I'm curious to how his player group tested after that round. Luke List and Von Taylor along with their caddies.
j/c...

I miss Baseball, I would be watching the Indians, flipping to the Reds and watching my Giants on my computer ... I really miss Baseball ...
Sitting outside on a nice summer night isn't the same without baseball on the radio. I think it knocks about 20 off my blood pressure.
j/c...

MLB will set a schedule and have a season, it announces

MLB has asked the union for two things by tomorrow at 5: 1) can players get to spring training in 7 days? 2) will players agree on the Operating Manual that lays out health/safety protocols for the 2020 season?

MLB notes that provisions in the framework deal rejected by union will not be in place, including 1) universal DH for 2 yrs 2) $25M in player playoff pool 3) $33M in salary forgiveness 4) Overall earnings of 104 pct of prorated pay (counting playoff pool and salary forgiveness $

MLB plans to implement a 60-game season provided the union agrees with the health/safety protocols and that a spring training 2.0 to start in 7 days

MLB owners did the right thing by giving players their 60 games rather than punishing them for the rejection. Hear from players who were pleased MLB took the high road in the end on this issue. Of course, by giving them the full 60, it may also blunt a grievance, to a degree.

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman
MLB will play and half the league will end up with Covid. I wonder how many managers will die? I wonder how many players will have their careers shortened because their lungs were damaged by the virus... But making money is far more important than the safety of the players. You can bet your last nickel that none of the owners will risk becoming infected... You won't see them down in the locker room or anywhere near the team.
Oh dear God, MLB players are social distancing on the playing field better than waitstaff and customers in a restaurant.

They have a right to do their job if they want to.

By all means you can protest and not show up as a fan.
So they’ll force the season, which will be filed under a grievance ... and probably held up due to safety concerns
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
I miss Baseball, I would be watching the Indians, flipping to the Reds and watching my Giants on my computer ... I really miss Baseball ...

After spending 4 years in Europe with no knowledge of Organized sports. First move back to the states was in Cleveland and that is where I fell in love with Football and the Browns (1964). The next year we moved to Pittsburgh (Army brat) stuck with the Browns with football - till present. But fell in love with baseball and the Pittsburgh Pirates. Have stuck with them throughout the years till Present.

It cost me less to drive to Pittsburgh stay at a hotel within walking distance of the Stadium. Go to a game with excellent Box seats. Stay over night. Check out the next morning and eat breakfast at a place that was on Food Network.

Cheaper than driving 30 miles to Queens and get some ok tickets, parking and eat at the Stadium with one beer each with wife.

Just that drive gets tougher as well as the speeding ticket going through New Jersey...lol laugh
j/c...

Unless the Operating Manual that lays out what is to be done in case of a pandemic the owners statement is pretty moronic.
I wonder how much MLB Extra Innings will cost this year? I’d pay the pro rated amount on a 60 game season.
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Nooooooooooo!

They will get paid the full prorated amount which comes in around 37% of each guys salary.

Bob Costas made a good point. Is it worth the risk to them?

You make big money. You will make more money in the future. You should have money put away.

Why risk it for 37% of one year salary?

Anybody in high risk like Cookie. No way.

Already a good number have contracted it.

I miss it big time. Not sure how this will go?

My teams are the Braves and Tribe.

Who are the favorites for a 60 game run? Wow.

I like the Braves. They have a good young deep pitching staff both starters and relief.

And they can hit.

Dodgers and Yankees will tough as well. I don't see the Nats winning. The Astros are still good as well.

60 games will probably benefit weaker middling type teams. A team can get hot and in 60 games hard to catch up if you fall behind by much.

Baseball has always been about a marathon not a sprint. This year will be way different.
This year the Indians really can't afford to have one of their typical sluggish starts (.500 or below .500) that they've had the last few years with Tito as manager. They need to hit the ground running if they want to contend, because the Twins and the White Sox are for real.
In this case a 60 game season will benefit the team that has the least amount of Covid 19 victims. If a few of the top teams end up in quarantine the whole thing gets blown to hell.

It will end in teams disputing who should have won it all and will be huge astrerisk in the record books.

No matter how this schedule plays out there will be asterisk.

You can not go from 162 games to 60 games and say it is the same thing.

This is all about start fast and stay hot.

My guess is there will be a number of players who may just opt out. Who knows.

At this point I will watch anything and be thankful. I just want to see high level competition.

I’m still not sold on there being a season ... there are a lot of safety/health protocols to overcome
I meant MLB Extra Innings, the out of of market tv service. I went on direct TVs website, it said “the start of the 2020 season has been delayed. I have to assume that means they are in contract negations. Ideally, the cost should be 37% of the full season cost.
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Oh dear God, MLB players are social distancing on the playing field better than waitstaff and customers in a restaurant.

They have a right to do their job if they want to.

By all means you can protest and not show up as a fan.

Yeah? How are they social distancing in the locker room? On the plane flying to different cities? At the hotel? On the team bus taking them to the games? Etc. Etc. The keywords you just said were IF THEY WANT TO. Give the players the choice of playing or not until there is a vaccine and if they choose NOT to play there are no reprisals later. Then if the players want to risk their entire career on this season to get paid they can do so and it was their choice. You can BET the owners aren't going to be putting THEIR health at risk.
Originally Posted By: bonefish

They will get paid the full prorated amount which comes in around 37% of each guys salary.

Bob Costas made a good point. Is it worth the risk to them?

You make big money. You will make more money in the future. You should have money put away.

Why risk it for 37% of one year salary?

Anybody in high risk like Cookie. No way.

Already a good number have contracted it.

I miss it big time. Not sure how this will go?

Exactly. Good points. Risking your entire career or a good chunk of it for a 60 game season at 37% salary seems iffy at best. While it is true that Covid is most dangerous to older people(Managers etc) it does hit some younger people hard. It kills some kids. It also attacks the lungs HARD and it takes a LONG time to get back to 100%. Maybe years... so if a player gets it and it hits his lungs hard what does that do to his career? To be a pro athlete you really need good lungs...
Little League World Series perhaps. This could be worse than Strike Ball with the new rules I saw. Not sure it is the game spectators want to watch.

Indians have a shot. Wahoo for the Tribe!

Would you watch a game in your bar if they can't serve alcohol?
j/c...

This will be a dumpster fire.
MiLB is canceled
I was hoping this could be avoided. Players just don't want to run the risk. I can't blame them. Many of them have plenty of money to retire today. It's not like most who do have to take the chance to scratch out their $750 a week on the factory floor or waiting tables at some bar/restaurant.

I'd say baseball works on the thinnest margins due to team size, ticket prices, and player salaries. Hockey might be on a thinner margin.

I worry some teams might fold between now and next year.
I agree .. it’s such a tough situation. If I were a player I’d contemplate sitting out the season as well ... if I were “comfortable”. I mean, a guy who typically makes 20 million will only make like 5 ... and there’s a greater risk of injury, which would hamper future earnings anyways
I agree .. it’s such a tough situation. If I were a player I’d contemplate sitting out the season as well ... if I were “comfortable”. I mean, a guy who typically makes 20 million will only make like 5 ... and there’s a greater risk of injury, which would hamper future earnings anyways

Or die and you don't get to enjoy your family and the money you have socked away. Or worse, you infect your wife or a kid and they die. That isn't going to lead to a happy rest of your lifetime.

OK....maybe you have to downsize from that $3.5mil place to a $350,000 place. Where I come from, $350K still buys you a pretty comfortable spread.
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

It's sad. I just read a letter from the Chattanooga Lookouts saying the season was canceled. The Lookouts have been here since maybe 1918. Baseball has been talking about cutting the minor league system, and the Lookouts were on the block. Made no sense. The Lookouts had good attendance figures....near -4000 per game. That is good for AA baseball.

Joe Engle owned the team from maybe the early 30's in to the late 60's. He was one of baseballs great promotors. He is in the HOF, not officially, but pictured and mentioned as a great supporter of the game. One year on opening day he had the players enter the field riding elephants....that is the picture in the HOF. There was a shortstop who demanded a raise. Joe traded him for a 20 lb turkey.

I am going to miss it if the Lookouts fold. They have a rich history and I like minor league baseball. You can get a cheap seat for $6. A box for around $15. The dogs and beer are as good as they are at any major league park, and a bit cheaper.

If any of you have a minor league team near by, go check it out. It's solid baseball and a great value. It's a great way to spend 3-4 hours with your kids.
If we had proper leadership, we could galvanize a morale boost for tUSA. We lack leadership at the worst time.

Whenever we do get back, sport will be at the forefront, i guarantee it.
That’s a shame. We have a similar situation here in Erie, PA. The AA team is very popular. There aren’t any pro sports within 90 miles and their attendance is always good. Plus, they just had huge upgrades to the park.

I try to get to a handful of games each year. They have good promotions, it’s good baseball, and great atmosphere. I love minor league ball.
Thinking (and nearly weeping) about what is next for minor league baseball – Terry Pluto

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2020/07/...erry-pluto.html

By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer
CLEVELAND, Ohio – Baseball is in trouble.

Most fans know that, at least at the major-league level. But in the minors, the situation is grim. Even before COVID-19 shut down the minors for the entire season, MLB proposed plans to cut 42 minor-league franchises.

That’s right, 42 teams! According to Baseball America, Class AA cities on the tentative list are Binghamton, N.Y., Chattanooga, Tenn., Erie, Pa., and Jackson, Ms. Some Class A teams would move up to Class AA. Two independent franchises – St. Paul, Minn. and Sugarland, Texas – would become affiliated with MLB franchises.

There would be 120 farm teams remaining.

Close to home, the Indians would lose their Niles-based Class A Mahoning Valley Scrappers. I called Mike Savit, who is part of the HWS group that owns the Scrappers. Their other minor-league franchises are the Dayton Dragons and the Modesto Nuts.

“Mahoning Valley is among the top 120 franchises in minor league baseball,” he said. “We’ve been with the Indians for 20 years, a hour away from Cleveland. I don’t care if you’re talking facilities or geography or anything like that – cutting us doesn’t make sense.”

Savit said “nothing is final ... and we’ll fight to keep the franchise with the Indians.”

But this isn’t a Tribe decision. MLB has decided to cut short-season summer leagues such as Mahoning’s New York-Penn League along with the Appalachian and Pioneer leagues.

“The Indians prize player development,” said Ken Babby of the Tribe’s Class AA Akron franchise. “It’s a big part of their organization. They put a lot of resources into it.”

The MLB plan is for each franchise to have six minor-league teams. Here’s how it would break down for the Tribe: Class AAA (Columbus), Class AA (Akron), High Class A (Lynchburg), Low Class A (Lake County) and two rookie teams at their Goodyear complex in Arizona.

WHY DO THIS?

Some of the minor -league franchises need to be eliminated. Some of the leagues need to be revised because of travel problems. So changes are necessary.

Before the virus hit, I heard some of the teams on the cut list could be saved. Those franchises needed to upgrade their facilities and make some other changes.

But now, who knows? A couple of minor-league executives told me some franchises would be heading into bankruptcy. Unlike MLB which will pocket TV money when its product is on the field, not so in the minors.

“It’s been catastrophic,” said Akron’s Babby, who also owns the Class AA Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp. “At least that’s how it is in the short term. We can weather it, but it could be very hard for some franchises.”

Babby bought Akron in 2013. He has put about $8 million into improvements at Canal Park and another $4 million into the stadium in Jacksonville. Minor-league operators make money from tickets, advertising sponsors and concession sales. In fact, they will have to refund some of their advance season ticket and advertising revenue if fans don’t want it applied to the 2021 season.

They are small-businessmen who do business with each other in medium and small towns. Everyone is in major financial pain.

Because of no fans in the stands, MLB will lose money this season – even if they do find a way to keep the game going through the World Series.

ANOTHER MLB NEGOTIATION

Many fans know MLB and the Major League Players Association will be talking about a new deal as their current labor agreement ends after the 2021 season. The hostility in the last talks to finally get the game going in 2020 is a sign a more turmoil to come.

Meanwhile, MLB and the minor leagues need to reach an agreement before the 2021 season starts. That’s why eliminating 42 teams is on the negotiating table. Given the economic collapse, the minors will probably agree to those cuts to get some type of deal in place.

“That’s 42 cities that won’t have baseball at a time when baseball is already losing fans,” said Miles Wolff. “I think about the cities who recently put millions of dollars into building or upgrading their ballparks. Now their teams are taken away.”

Wolff’s baseball career began as a general manager of the Class AA Savannah Braves in 1972. I met him in Savannah in 1978 when I was a minor-league baseball writer for the Savannah Morning News. Wolff started the current version of the Durham Bulls franchise in 1980.

“Bought it for $2,400, which was all the money I had,” he said. In 1987, the movie Bull Durham was filmed at his ballpark. He sold the franchise for an estimated $4 million in 1990.

Wolff also owned Baseball America for 20 years. He started the independent Northern League and has owned other franchises. At 76, Wolff recently sold his last franchise before the pandemic hit – the Class A Burlington Royals. They are on MLB’s list to disappear in 2021.

He looks at how MLB cut the draft from 40 rounds to five in 2020. Word is it will be in the 20 rounds or fewer in 2021. He can’t believe MLB is limiting its pool of talent with these changes.

“It doesn’t make sense,” he said.

WHAT WILL BE LOST?

I heard the Houston Astros have been behind the movement to shorten the draft and whack 25 percent of the minor-league teams. The Astros and some other teams believe the odds are overwhelming against low picks making the majors, which is true. They are convinced strong analytics will target the right prospects and eliminate the need for so many minor-league players.

But low round picks do make it. Tribe starting catcher Roberto Perez was pick No. 1,011 in the 2008 draft. There are many other examples.

Cutting the draft. Cutting farm teams. All to save comparably a few bucks?

“How much does it really costs to run these short-season Class A franchises?” asked Wolff. “Big leagues teams pay for the salaries of the players, coaches and a few other things. Baseball needs more exposure around the country, not less.”

Some of the cities losing teams can become franchises in independent leagues, not affiliated with any MLB franchise. One nearby is the Lake Erie Crushers of the Frontier League.

But suppose you bought the Missoula, Mt., franchise for several million dollars as a group did in the fall of 2018. They had no idea Missoula was headed for the cut list. Even if an independent team moves in, the value of the franchise drops sharply compared to being an MLB affiliate.

“Overall, minor-league baseball was in very good shape before the virus,” said Wolff. “Now, a lot of people will be hurt, and what the big leagues want to do is make it worse.”

Babby talked about how 70 days a year, people come to downtown Akron to watch his RubberDucks. The franchise creates jobs not only in baseball, but the businesses around the park.

“Minor-league baseball is a big deal in a lot smaller cities,” said Babby. “If those teams go away, they will really be missed.”
It is sad. The Lookouts have been here in Chattanooga since 1906....I looked it up.

It seems to me each team needs their own team. Maybe the plan is to have 2 teams roster players at the various levels, but I haven't read or heard anything about that. I know the Indians and I think the Cubs share a stadium and facilities out in Arizona. One main stadium, then each team has their own clubhouse, training rooms and practice fields.

I agree. MLB isn't losing money on the deal. To me you need to promote the game and playing in these mid-sized towns across the country does that.

Sure, every team has their top 50 minor leaguers who they think has a shot scattered across the system, but you still need to provide them with solid competition to compete against.

I don't know, maybe just changing times. There was a time if you were a good player, you signed with a major league club. Over the last 25 or so years, more of these players opt for college baseball. As college baseball gets really good, maybe MLB feels they can use that as a proving ground, but there is a big difference between pitching against or hitting a aluminum bat.

Probably easier to judge pitchers.
j/c...

Has there been any update on Clevinger's rehab? I haven't scrolled back on here to see. I'm guessing with committing to Bieber starting, perhaps that doesn't bode well for Clevinger's status.
I believe I recall hearing from Andre Knott that he was recovered and ready to go.
Hell yes...my head is going to be plastered on a cardboard cutout!

Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Has there been any update on Clevinger's rehab? I haven't scrolled back on here to see. I'm guessing with committing to Bieber starting, perhaps that doesn't bode well for Clevinger's status.

Right-hander Mike Clevinger
After suffering a partial meniscus tear in his left knee on the second day of Spring Training, Clevinger was on pace for the original Opening Day date of March 26. But the extra time off gave him the assurance that he’d be at full strength for the first game of the year; now he just needs to remain healthy through the coming three weeks. With a shortened season, the Indians’ rotation becomes even more vital than it already was, and losing Clevinger for any amount of time would be a hurdle tough to overcome.

https://www.mlb.com/indians/news/indians-players-to-watch-in-summer-camp
Frankie!

I read where his 1 year old grandson recently drowned, the guy is 63 years old.

Family pressures, high COVID risk. Can't blame the guy.

My personal feeling is all these sports just need to shut it down for the year and hope we can come back next year fresh. Just too much risk for coaches, players, fans.

We had to open up, but unfortunately people felt everything was cool. Carry on as normal. Well, it isn't normal and we are seeing spikes in the crud again. Shutting down sports is a solid way to convey that message.

Go out to dinner. Go to work, but don't be STUPID!
j/c...

Lol.

j/c...

Frankie bike riding through CLE.

If you're jonesing for the sounds of Tom Hamilton and Jim Rosenhaus calling a ball game on the radio on a summer night like I am, you can hear them tonight doing the Indians' intrasquad game at 7PM EST here:

https://www.mlb.com/indians/video/7-10-i...IVva111OeA3Z_rY

Correction: game starts at 7:10 Eastern
Chang's power continues; Clevinger debuts
https://www.mlb.com/indians/news/yu-chang-power-impressing-at-indians-summer-camp

CLEVELAND -- Prior to Friday night’s intrasquad scrimmage, Yu Chang said that his home runs earlier this week had been assisted by the strong outwardly wind. But when he launched a long ball against Scott Moss later that evening, the air couldn’t have been more still.

Chang claims his power isn’t some underrated tool that’s been overlooked, but he’s done nothing but flex that skill since arriving at Summer Camp. On Monday, Chang nearly hit the scoreboard in left field on a home run against Carlos Carrasco, nearly replicated the exact shot against Zach Plesac on Wednesday, launched another long ball against Shane Bieber on Thursday and added another to his stats sheet on Friday against Moss.

“I feel very good right now,” Chang said through translator Kuanwu Chu. “I can see the ball very clear, at least for this week. All I want is to keep doing it at the same pace and work on the normal stuff.”

Chang continues to be in the race for the Indians’ utility job, alongside Mike Freeman, Christian Arroyo and newly signed Jake Elmore. During Spring Training, Chang hit .250 with a .740 OPS in 13 games. He returned to Taiwan in April to wait for baseball to resume and has come back with a red-hot, consistent bat, something that Indians manager Terry Francona hopes will boost the 24-year-old’s confidence.

“I don’t care if it’s January or February or we’re playing with nobody in the stands, I love seeing our guys do well,” Francona said. “He has taken four or five swings this past week that are just -- he hit a ball the other day that was, like, five rows from hitting the back wall there. It’s just really obvious that he worked hard during the time off, but I love watching him do that. Hopefully it’s really good for his confidence because this kid’s got some talent to play.

Clevinger’s first outing

Mike Clevinger took the mound in his first intrasquad outing on Friday evening and gave up four runs (two earned) on two hits, with two walks, one strikeout and a home run that resulted in a Francisco Lindor somersault at home plate. Although his team came out on the losing end of the 4-2 visiting team victory, Clevinger said he felt good for his first time back in a game-like setting.

“I felt like I started off commanding the zone with everything I wanted in the beginning,” Clevinger said, “and then I kind of got out of my mechanics a little bit and started letting guys back in counts after getting ahead of them.”

With only two weeks remaining until Opening Day, Clevinger expects to have two more intrasquad outings before taking the mound in a regular-season game. At that point, he expects himself to be stretched out to 100 pitches.

“I'll be up there, I'd say the range would be 85 to 100 for that first start in the regular season,” Clevinger said. “These are all assumptions though."

Daniel Johnson named MVP of Game 1

The Indians usually name an MVP during their team meetings in the clubhouse every day, but because of the coronavirus safety guidelines, they’re no longer gathering in large groups. This caused them to make a pregame announcement over the PA system on Friday, alerting the team who was named the MVP of their first intrasquad game on Thursday. And with his three-run homer, Daniel Johnson took the honors.

Francona met Johnson at home plate with his award of a $100 bill.

“It was nice,” Johnson said. “He said he didn’t want to touch me because of the coronavirus, so we kept our distance. I just took the money from him and we didn’t touch hands. It was nice, though. Just to get recognized like that, even in a practice game, it’s a blessing.”
Tyler Naquin’s bat, the pitching plan, the new second baseman: Cleveland Indians Scribbles

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2020/07/...-scribbles.html

By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer
CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Indians are actually playing baseball, even if it’s against themselves in practice and intrasquad games:

1. In May, the Indians gave their players a tentative goal of being ready to show up for training camp on June 10 for a possible July 1 start to the season. They didn’t know if that would work, but they wanted their players – especially the pitchers – to be pushing themselves for a quick start to the season.

2. The Tribe figured whenever baseball started, the teams would have about three weeks to prepare. That would put them in the middle of a typical spring training. The goal was for pitchers to be ready to throw three to four innings, or about 65 pitches when they arrived.

3. The coaching staff for pitchers is led by Carl Wills. But it also includes coaches Brian Sweeney and Ruben Niebla along with V.P. of Baseball Operations Eric Binder. They stayed in touch with the pitchers via Zoom, text and phone. The pitchers sent in video of themselves throwing to be studied. Some set up a tripod to tape themselves, others had family members do it. The Indians were impressed with the creativity.

4. But the test would be once they took the mound in summer camp. Did they follow the throwing and conditioning programs set up by the team and the sports science department? Did guys show up with sore arms or out of shape? The good news is no early injuries. Shane Bieber went five innings (87 pitches) in his first intrasquad start.

5. The Indians are continually amazed by Bieber. Terry Francona said: “He’s far more mature than his experience.” The 25-year-old Bieber has pitched in only 56 big-league games (26-13, 3.72 ERA). He threw only 50 games in the minors. He was a 15-game winner and All-Star last year, and he looks ready to meet that standard again.

6. All the of the key starters appear in good shape. Aaron Civale is another young pitcher (57 2/3 innings) who looks like a veteran. Civale was 3-4 with a 2.34 ERA in 2019, a season he began in Class AA Akron.

7. Tyler Naquin has the coaching staff very excited. He had major ACL surgery on his right knee Aug. 31. He would not have been ready for the start the season, but he’s healthy now.

8. Francona on Naquin: “He should be proud of himself. He’s worked hard and been very diligent. ... He’s been through a lot, he’s a wonderful kid ... you root for him.”

9. Naquin is no longer a kid. He’s 29. He’s had hand, hip and now knee surgery. When healthy, the 2012 first-rounder can hit. For his big-league career, he’s batted .283 with a .788 OPS. He has a good arm in right field. Naquin was batting .288 (.792 OPS) with 10 HR in 89 games when he blew out his knee trying to make a catch last season.

10. The Indians were impressed with how Franmil Reyes handled being disciplined (sitting out three practices) for being in public without wearing a mask. Reyes was apologetic. Back in Arizona in March, Reyes was having a monster spring, batting .444 with five HR in 29 plate appearances.

11. Reyes hit 37 HR with 81 RBI between the Padres and Tribe last season, batting .249 (.822 OPS). The 25-year-old has the power to hit 40 HR a year once he settles in. The Indians think he’s been doing OK in right field, a position he played with San Diego. The Tribe used him as a DH last year, but they don’t want him to be exclusively a DH.

12. He probably won’t make the opening day roster, but the Indians project Cam Hill to eventually find a spot in the bullpen. He was on the fast track in 2017 (4-4, 3.08 ERA between Class AA and AAA). He had a good spring training in 2018, then hurt his arm and needed Tommy John elbow reconstruction surgery. Now fully healthy, he has impressed.

13. It’s early, but the Indians like how newcomer Cesar Hernandez has fit in at second. The 31 year old spent the first seven big-league years with the Phillies, batting .277 (.733 OPS). He has been primarily a leadoff hitter.

14. Francona on Hernandez: “He can potentially hit at the top of the order. He’s a switch-hitter who likes to play every day (161 games each of the last two seasons). He’s joined right in with those infielders.”

15. The Indians have switch-hitters at every infield spot: Carlos Santana (1B), Hernandez (2B), Francisco Lindor (SS) and Jose Ramirez (3B). Santana is off to fast start in the intrasquad games. That’s important. He usually is a slow starter. That changed last season when he batted .316 in April and was at .297 at the All-Star break. With only 60 games, there’s no time for slow starts.

16. Yu Chang slammed three impressive homers through Thursday. He batted .178 in 28 games with the Tribe last season, filling in at third when Ramirez was injured. He’s a career .255 hitter (.744 OPS) with 22 HR in 801 Class AAA plate appearances.

17. Chang has played mostly short and third in the minors. A highly valued prospect, he was in the 2016 trade with Milwaukee for Jonathan Lucroy, which was vetoed by Lucroy. Other teams have asked about him. It feels as if Chang has been around forever, but he’s only 24.
MLB, MLBPA Reach Agreement On Expanded Playoffs For 2020 Season
By Steve Adams | July 23, 2020 at 3:03pm CDT

Just hours before the first pitch of the 2020 season, Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association have reached an agreement on an expanded postseason field. ESPN’s Marly Rivera reports that the union has agreed to the proposal, which now needs only to be ratified by the owners. Joel Sherman of the New York Post suggests that will indeed happen (Twitter link), and USA Today’s Bob Nightengale tweets that there’ll be 16 teams as well as a best-of-three first round series (rather than a sudden-death Wild Card setting). The agreement covers only the 2020 season, per both Rivera and Sherman.

The postseason expansion comes with a $50MM player pool for the players, Nightengale further reports. That’s particularly notable given that in a traditional season, player postseason shares are derived solely from gate revenue and not from television ratings. Previous estimates on additional television revenue in an expanded postseason field suggested between $200-300MM could be generated by expanding to 16 teams, and ownership has agreed to share some of that windfall with the players’ side.

The potential ramifications here are broad reaching. It’s easy to envision this serving as a litmus test of sorts for future postseason expansion. The league has previously sought to push to 14 to 16 teams due to that considerable added revenue — the aforementioned revenue boost referenced only television money — and introducing it as a sort of experiment in an already anomalous season is perhaps a more palatable way of normalizing the change.

From a team vantage point, the impact this has on the trade deadline could be enormous. There have been plenty of questions regarding just how much clubs will be willing to surrender in order to acquire rental players in a 60-game season — particularly if the likeliest postseason scenario included a sudden-death Wild Card game. Now, clubs will at least be assured of a three-game series. Paired with the expanded number of fringe contenders a six-team expansion of the field, that could embolden some teams to be more aggressive buyers.

The greater number of postseason clubs not only widens the field of potential buyers but also narrows how many teams will be pure sellers. That could serve to up the demand for the trade assets on the few teams who are committed to selling off pieces. And it could lead to some dramatic last-minute decisions for teams that are on the cusp. Today’s brand of methodical, analytical GMs don’t make the emotional and even irrational plunges into transactions that once proliferated deadline season, but there’s a good chance we’ll again see some creative swaps of unexpected players. Complicated three-team trades have become prominent in recent years, and a radical change to the playoff format should only encourage creativity.

And what of the teams with trade candidates who have multiple seasons of club control remaining? At a time when clubs are reluctant to part with high-end talent to acquire 30-some games of a rental, a player controlled into 2021, 2022 or beyond becomes eminently more appealing. Matthew Boyd, Caleb Smith, Jon Gray, Francisco Lindor, Nolan Arenado and other controllable names who’ve been kicked about the rumor circuit in recent years will again be in demand. Depending on the status of those players’ teams at the halfway point of the season, the motivation to make a deal could increase. It’s worth reminding that only players in a team’s 60-man pool can be traded, so there are some clear restrictions in play, but the ripple effect here could be considerable.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/07/mlb-playoffs-expanded-postseaon-16-teams-2020.html
I hope we win it all. Not so much voodoo in rotations and lineups. Just win baby!

How many games will it take to get in? To win it all?

Tribe! Just let it happen.
j/c:

Okay, I turned the TV on last night and watched parts of the two games. The cardboard cutouts in the Dodger game was beyond absurd. LOL

Get rid of them. It's almost creepy.

Then again, I probably won't be watching any more baseball. Swing for the fences and striking out. Kneeling and BLM shirts. Nah.
I can't decide if I like them... I don't mind them if they don't focus on them too closely... I like the background noise they are playing as well... makes it feel a little more normal...
I'm okay w/the background noise. It's all just a matter of personal preference.
I feel games are much better with background/fake crowd noise.

The cardboard cutouts are kind of funny.
I know some teams are selling the spots to fans for their likeness to be on a cutout to recoup revenues, but I think the cutouts, if they're used at all, should be interesting or funny or iconic photos of famous people from stage, screen, or music. Like the original cast from Saturday Night Live, The Beatles, The Little Rascals, Bogie & Bacall, Marilyn & DiMaggio, and so on. Maybe the networks, movie studios, and recording labels would pay a sponsor fee to put up an image that supports their brand. Might even make a good thread in the EE forum ... "Post your iconic photo you'd like depicted as part of MLB's virtual crowd shot". (I'd do it, but I get lazier for every day that goes by lately.)
Originally Posted By: Dave
I know some teams are selling the spots to fans for their likeness to be on a cutout to recoup revenues, but I think the cutouts, if they're used at all, should be interesting or funny or iconic photos of famous people from stage, screen, or music. Like the original cast from Saturday Night Live, The Beatles, The Little Rascals, Bogie & Bacall, Marilyn & DiMaggio, and so on. Maybe the networks, movie studios, and recording labels would pay a sponsor fee to put up an image that supports their brand. Might even make a good thread in the EE forum ... "Post your iconic photo you'd like depicted as part of MLB's virtual crowd shot". (I'd do it, but I get lazier for every day that goes by lately.)

Wouldn't that violate copyright laws?
It violates right of publicity. So they would have to get permission. I dont know if that applies to deceased people or not. It probably violates copyright also.
Originally Posted By: Dave

Wouldn't that violate copyright laws?

I don't do law, so no idea. It just occurred to me that any rights to those images would possibly be owned by the studios, networks, record labels, etc - not the individuals in the pictures.
j/c:

I think the number is up to 14. The Marlins also postponed tonight's game since the above report.

Now, there is talk about whether or not the Yankees will want to use the same visitor's clubhouse that the Marlins were using this weekend.

This is not good for the MLB and the NFL. Neither play in a bubble like the NBA can.
It’s time to shut it down for the MLB.
It looks that way.
They already canceled the Marlins game. They should also cancel the Phillies/Yankees game tonight. That’s at the bare minimum. 12/30 players on one team tested positive. That’s a severe outbreak.
The MLB Commish must address this situation today. Not tomorrow. Today.

There are some options, I guess:

Immediate decision:

--Move the NYY/Philly game to NY tonight.

Moving forward decision:

--Play on w/out the Marlins.

--Cancel the season.
Yeah, the immediate decision is to move the game tonight. The impending decision? I don't think he wants to verbalize it yet. I guess he can say to quarantine the Marlins, let them accrue missed games and see if they can be made up later... the more likely announcement is "we'll continue to monitor the situation". Just wait til the Phillies (their previous opponent) announce some cases. Then the poop really hits the fan.

This isn't going to work out. This won't be a fluke, I'm sure other clubs will have outbreaks. I don't see how the heck you can attempt to play a season once we see other cases or player/patients with serious complications. Math says it will happen - and it will force the closure of all sports.
Unfortunately, I have to agree.

I can almost guarantee that college sports are done. I doubt if the NFL plays this year, now. MLB is probably going to have to shut down. The NBA has a chance because they play ina bubble, but Lou Williams was caught in a Gentleman's Club after he left the bubble. Too many moving parts.
They postponed tonight’s Phillies/Yankee game. They should probably do the same for tomorrow night’s game. Maybe even the whole series. Just let the Yankees go back to New York and let them not play against a potentially infected team.
Guidelines, bubbles, all those things are meaningless if the humans involved make dumb decisions.

The only benefit the NFL has is playing "watch and learn" and hoping the seriousness sinks in among it's teams, players and staffs. I also read today that harsh penalties (including no pay) will be leveed against players who engage in "high-risk" events outside of the game. Not sure how you would police that but pretty sure it won't be enough.

Took a little road trip with the wife this weekend and saw enough to know that most people lie between "don't care" and "totally oblivious"... At least here in Missouri. Getting all these young, athletic multi-millionaires to be smart and careful is a challenge that I don't think will be won. And let's be honest, the mindset of many of them is "so I get sick - big deal". I really don't think most consider something life-altering as a real possibility.
They postponed tonight’s Phillies/Yankee game. They should probably do the same for tomorrow night’s game. Maybe even the whole series. Just let the Yankees go back to New York and let them not play against a potentially infected team.

Then they should do the same for the Phillies, who just played the Marlins, right?

The dominos will start falling in a hurry.
Season about to be cancelled as per multiple reports.

Sad state of affairs when the NHL has a better plan than the MLB.
Well Canada has taken the necessary measures to have the virus under much better control than we do here.
Keep your politics out of this thread. No one wants to see it. Let me think about the world in my nice thought bubble where I don't consider criiticism!
I know people will claim this but facts aren't politics. Sad when they try and make it sound that way.
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
Season about to be cancelled as per multiple reports.

Which reports?
I’m not sure they’ll cancel, but they have to tread lightly here. It could spiral out of control quickly
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-h...ak-per-reports/

MLB has no plans to cancel or pause 2020 season after Marlins coronavirus outbreak, per reports
Rob Manfred and the owners had a conference call on Monday afternoon

Despite a COVID-19 outbreak involving at least 11 Miami Marlins players, Major League Baseball has no plans at present to cancel or pause its 2020 regular season, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post. Sherman's report came after commissioner Rob Manfred conducted his weekly meeting with the 30 team owners on Monday afternoon.

Manfred and the owners intend to instead "redouble health directives," such as players wearing masks or facial coverings in the clubhouse, and "reinforce on-field behavior prohibitions" against gestures like high fives, per Scott Miller of Bleacher Report.

Because there are no clear guidelines in the agreement between the union and the league as it pertains to what would prompt a shutdown, that discretion is to be made by Manfred alone. He was asked earlier in July, during a radio interview with Dan Patrick, what would have to happen in order for him to consider exercising that power.

"I don't have a firm number of days in mind (to pause the season). I think the way that I think about it, Dan, is in the vein of competitive integrity, in a 60-game season," Manfred said. "If we have a team or two that's really decimated with a number of people who had the virus and can't play for any significant period of time, it could have a real impact on the competition and we'd have to think very, very hard about what we're doing."

Clearly, Manfred doesn't feel the Marlins outbreak will have a "real impact on the competition." Rather, Manfred seems to subscribe to the same school of thought as Los Angeles Dodgers president Stan Kasten, who said on Monday morning: "I do think we expected something like this at some point, and maybe getting it out of the way early will help teach us things that we'll avoid repetitions of this going forward."

Call it wishful thinking or blind optimism, but it doesn't seem like Monday's news about the Marlins will mark the end of the season.
About those "facts..." that some are spewing. LOL

And no YTown, my post is not directed towards you.
Cool, I got things wrong! At least I admit my mistakes.

I don't go off saying that I've done more for black Americans than the black Americans on this board or insinuate black Americans are loud and obnoxious.

Doubt you'll ever walk either of those back.
Thanks for the flattery!

This, right here...
That may be too soon .

Now at least 15 Marlins players and 3 coaches have tested positive.

Washington Nationals have voted as a team to not go to Miami for this weekends series.
The National’s manager said “I’m scared, I’m really scared”. He was out part of last year with a heart condition
j/c

Here is the part many seem to not be talking about...

Quote:
If I’ve been tested once, do I need to get tested again?

Getting a negative test result means it is unlikely you were infected with the new coronavirus when your test sample was taken. But you could still be infected if you got your test when you were in the earliest stages of infection, before the virus was detectable. Also, you could catch the coronavirus later and need to be tested again. Let your health care provider know if your symptoms persist or worsen, and you might need another test.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/c...ou-need-to-know

So you can test negative while in the very early stages of being exposed only to actually have the virus. This may be the biggest threat to the spread in MLB and other professional sports without having a proper quarantine protocol in place.
j/c

Baseball commissioner warns he might end season if coronavirus isn't managed better, ESPN reports

Major League Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred warned union leader Tony Clark in a Friday call that if the league and players don't do a better job of following Covid-19 protocols and managing the virus, Manfred could shut down the shortened season, ESPN reported.

On Friday, the league and the MLB Players Association announced that 29 players and team staff have tested positive for Covid-19 this week.
CNN has reached out to the league for comment but has not heard back. A union spokesperson told CNN the union had no comment.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/31/us/mlb-coronavirus-cardinals-brewers/index.html

It's a much longer article but most of it is rehashed information.
I can see it being canceled ... especially if they continue the standard of “if a player tests positive, that team doesn’t play” ... they have to lessen their standard or just call the season IMO
Lessening that standard would cause the virus to run wild in the league.
This threatening and browbeating like this truly gets me upset. That standard is vital to protect a lot of people. If it is that razor thin, fold your tent, call it. Not worth taking this risk and wasting the opportunity you engineered due to misjudgment. If you have it, then you are out. Building in bigger risks is worse. make a decision and spare fans all the pointless handwringing.

Hope every sport stays healthy, butt that is not realistic. Shameful.
© DawgTalkers.net