DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: THROW LONG BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/10/20 05:04 PM
Deserves it's own thread.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/10/20 05:20 PM

FWIW.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/10/20 05:27 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/10/20 05:49 PM
They’re still teetering from what I can gather, but It seems likely to happen.

Now, does OSU join the BIG 12 for a year?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/10/20 05:51 PM
From the reports we've seen so far, 12 of the 14 teams are voting to suspend the season. One of them is OSU. Why in the world would they vote to suspend the season only to play in another conference?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/10/20 06:05 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
From the reports we've seen so far, 12 of the 14 teams are voting to suspend the season. One of them is OSU. Why in the world would they vote to suspend the season only to play in another conference?
because they disagreed with the Big10 safety plan, not necessarily the actual playing part
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/10/20 06:49 PM
So how is the Big 12's plan better?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/10/20 08:47 PM
Lot's of conflicting reports.

This team, that team, the PAC 12 on the way out, the SEC trying to hold in and recruit other teams, the Big 12 trying to stick in and recruit......we'll just have to wait a few day to see what happens.

Never know, could lead to a super conference or new league and teams just dump the NCAA, which wouldn't bother me a whole lot.

Pay the kids in tiers, everything is the same no matter where you go so teams with the most money won't win out, and 5 star QB's will only get the same no matter what school they choose.

I am not talking huge money. They are already getting top coaching and a education if they choose to take advantage. That is worth maybe $30,000 a year, but I don't have a problem paying them maybe up to $15,000 or so.

Those guys can't hold jobs between workouts, practice, and trying to study enough to maintain eligibility.

I understand they are students. They need to go to class, but they need a little something on the hip. That will help all.

Some kids have parents who don't have the money to help. Those kids walk around broke. Walking around broke leads to bad things.

Some kids have parents who can funnel them a copy AMX and give them $1000 a month, but most have to sacrifice to do that. Multi- millionaires might not have a problem, but most are making $150,000 a year or so. Not so much that $1000 a month isn't a burden.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/10/20 09:02 PM
I disagree with paying them.

First, who do you pay? Football. D 1 only? What about the baseball team, or the volleyball team? Etc.

The swim team? Lacrosse, soccer?

I understand they can't get jobs. I also understand they are - most of the football players anyway - getting a free education. You choose: free 4-5 year education, or just be a student that works a part time job- 10-20 hours a week, taking out $30,000 to $50,000 a year in loans.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/10/20 09:30 PM
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
I disagree with paying them.

First, who do you pay? Football. D 1 only? What about the baseball team, or the volleyball team? Etc.

The swim team? Lacrosse, soccer?

I understand they can't get jobs. I also understand they are - most of the football players anyway - getting a free education. You choose: free 4-5 year education, or just be a student that works a part time job- 10-20 hours a week, taking out $30,000 to $50,000 a year in loans.

Like I said, I understand they are getting a lot just to go school. I am not sure how college football divvies up scholarships. I am pretty sure baseball is 11 full scholarships for D1. Unless you are A-Rod. Nobody gets a full ride. Most get a book scholarship to start and if you are good, maybe a half scholarship by the time you are a senior.

For women it is different. To keep things equal, volleyball players might get a full ride to make up for the large football team, some of the players getting a percentage scholarship.

Title 9 equals the dollars out. If you allocate $8million to mens sports, you have a allocate the same to womens sports.

I get it. It doesn't mean anything that other than basketball at some schools and spring board diving at some schools, nobody pays to watch womens sports.

People pay to watch mens football and basketball, and at some colleges, hockey and wrestling, maybe to a lesser, baseball.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/10/20 09:36 PM
So, if you start paying football players, Title 9 would seem to dictate female players get paid as well, not?

And then the soccer players get wind of it, and the gymnastics teams, etc etc...........and suddenly, fans can't afford to go to games. Then what?

Look at nascar. Shoot, I used to be a huge fan. Tracks couldn't add seats fast enough. Money killed that sport.

Bristol seats some 160,000 fans. They used to sell out, and had a years long waiting list for tickets. Since this year is all jacked up due to covid, I'll go back to last year. They were lucky if they had 35,000 in attendance.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/10/20 09:46 PM
So, if you start paying football players, Title 9 would seem to dictate female players get paid as well, not?

And then the soccer players get wind of it, and the gymnastics teams, etc etc...........and suddenly, fans can't afford to go to games. Then what?

Look at nascar. Shoot, I used to be a huge fan. Tracks couldn't add seats fast enough. Money killed that sport.

Bristol seats some 160,000 fans. They used to sell out, and had a years long waiting list for tickets. Since this year is all jacked up due to covid, I'll go back to last year. They were lucky if they had 35,000 in attendance.

This is the best every time.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/10/20 09:47 PM
What is the best?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/11/20 01:04 AM

I don't really disagree with you. It's why I have thought for years that football, and maybe basketball need to break from the NCAA and do their own thing.

Let the NCAA run their volleyball, wrestling, and golf .
Some people go to watch that.
Posted By: jaybird Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/11/20 01:32 AM
I've heard several say that football should break away from the NCAA.... not a bad idea... don't know how it would exactly look like but it's intriguing.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/11/20 06:10 AM

Pay would be derived from the income the sport brings in. Football players would get paid based on what it brings in, whatever percentage you want to apply to be split by the team.

Say 10% goes to the player pool. Football players might split up $8 mil. Volleyball players split up $200.

I don't understand the NASCAR comparison. Maybe I do if you are saying it got too expensive for the average fan to attend a race.

That is easy enough for them to fix. Lower prices and prize money. The drivers are still going to drive. Teams are still going to be teams.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/11/20 09:37 AM
I think football is definitely breaking away from the NCAA in the near future ... not sure about basketball. I’ve read that the tournament funds basically EVERYTHING else ... it needs it to survive.

I don’t mind paying players and giving them some benefits, as long as it’s a separate entity and title 9 cant get involved
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/11/20 09:48 AM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I think football is definitely breaking away from the NCAA in the near future ... not sure about basketball. I’ve read that the tournament funds basically EVERYTHING else ... it needs it to survive.

I don’t mind paying players and giving them some benefits, as long as it’s a separate entity and title 9 cant get involved

The Universities couldn't be involved at all - or else Title 9 Applies.

You could potentially form a NBA Training League that has a bunch of teams in different cities. But you couldn't use the names/logos/affiliations etc. of any colleges. I would also guess a judge would strike this down if you tried to, say "have one team in every college city."

Given that this would now compete with college athletics -- and football and basketball make the universities Money -- I assume that the Universities would fight this plan tooth and nail.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/11/20 11:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Lyuokdea

The Universities couldn't be involved at all - or else Title 9 Applies.

You could potentially form a NBA Training League that has a bunch of teams in different cities. But you couldn't use the names/logos/affiliations etc. of any colleges. I would also guess a judge would strike this down if you tried to, say "have one team in every college city."

Given that this would now compete with college athletics -- and football and basketball make the universities Money -- I assume that the Universities would fight this plan tooth and nail.

It would, and thats fine. I think you could fix stipend as a percentage of game gate receipts. As long as that was equal, I don't think dollars would matter.

Naturally volleyball players would seek a court injunction because football players get $11,000 a year and they get $64 a year.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/11/20 12:07 PM
The Big 10 is holding the vote today, and reportedly most (if not all) of the coaches and players want to play the season. #WeWantToPlay and #WeAreUnited among college players may also play a part in the decision, as they have cropped up rather quickly, and have become fairly widespread.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/11/20 12:30 PM
It's looking like the Presidents may be pressured in to different positions.

A tough decision either way. You don't want to deny the student athlete, but you don't want to see the team ravaged and them spreading it on campus and community.

The Presidents have to think about the entire campus. Not just the football team. You have students, faculty, and staff who aren't 19 or 20, in prime physical condition.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/11/20 06:47 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Milk Man Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/11/20 07:00 PM
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/11/20 07:13 PM
BREAKING: Big Ten cancels 2020 college football season

In a move that seemed unprecedented just a few days, let alone months ago, the Big Ten announced today that the conference's 2020 fall college football season has been canceled due to concerns regarding the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. The conference hopes to play fall sports in the spring This comes just days after the Big Ten announced a revised conference-only schedule and health and safety protocols that were meant to allow the season to progress with room for flexibility.

The Big Ten announced on Saturday morning that all football teams must remain in Day 2 of the "acclimatization period" as a part of the start of fall camp, meaning no pads will be permitted in practice, just helmets. The Big Ten's university presidents met on Saturday and discussed the viability of the 2020 season and the possibility of its move to the spring. While no decision was reached over the weekend, these discussions assuredly led to Tuesday's announcement.

A major growing concern is the evidence that COVID-19 causes myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart muscle caused by a viral infection. Team physicians in various sports are noticing this as a lasting symptom in athletes that have tested positive for COVID-19.

Ohio State was expected to be one of the top teams in college football this season once again with a number of key pieces returning and talent across the field. In 2019, the Buckeyes went 13-1, won the Big Ten for a third straight year and finished with the No. 3 ranking in the country after losing to Clemson in the College Football Playoff semifinal in Ryan Day's first year as a head coach.

Day and the Buckeyes have made it clear that they believe Ohio State has done everything in its power to keep both players and coaches safe and be ready for a season during these uncertain times. The Buckeye student-athletes released a letter on Friday showing their support for the university's policies and stating that players know the risks of playing during the pandemic. Day appeared on ESPN on Monday, stating the Scarlet and Gray would consider playing in another conference if the Big Ten elected not to play. We will see what comes of that.

“I’m comfortable with us starting training camp,” Day said last week. “I still think that in order to play a game, not yet. Not yet. I think the Big Ten did a wonderful job of laying out some of the stuff that, as we get into the competitive season, some of the details and protocols moving forward, but certainly there are more details to be ironed out before we go play that first game.

“But I am very comfortable with what we have going on here going into training camp. Our protocols and procedures that we shared with our team, with our coaching staff and then with our parents. I think that is really well thought out and there’s been a lot of back-and-forth there and we feel strong about that. But I would say right now we’re not quite ready to play a game yet. But I know the Big Ten and the commissioner’s office is working really hard right now to put all those details together so we all can feel strong when we get a lot of those details.”

Where Ohio State and other Big Ten programs go from here is unknown. Given the situation, it is likely many of the NFL-eligible Buckeyes who are expected to be high draft picks will have played their last game for the Scarlet and Gray.

As for around the country, there has been no word yet from the other Power 5 conferences on what they will do for the fall season but it is not difficult to see a scenario where these leagues fall in line behind the Big Ten's decision.

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state...UNvPio36jMAyWGw
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/11/20 07:20 PM
That's a lot to read, I didn't comprehend most of it.
Latest I heard they are going to plan to postpone it until Spring.
Anything else concrete I missed?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/11/20 09:00 PM
PAC12 follows suit ...
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/11/20 09:19 PM
Now that college football is falling apart, I wonder how long the NFL hangs on?

Are there any HS teams still planning to play? I hope not.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/11/20 09:23 PM
As of today, Ohio is planning on a 6 week regular season, and every team makes the playoffs. That is as of today.

I completely expect that to change soon.

I DO know OHSAA (Ohio High School Athletic Association) severely needs playoff ticket money to stay afloat. Yet, the last I heard, Dewine said spectators won't be allowed for reg. season games. Course that changed to "parents can attend reg. season games)

Stay tuned. Tomorrow we'll have new info, and the day after, even more info, etc.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/11/20 09:41 PM
As of now there playing in SC ... not sure what there doing in NY ...
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/11/20 09:45 PM
As for paying the players, the NCAA or school shouldn't pay a dime. Allow the players to sell their likeness off campus. A QB for Alabama should have no problem finding a local car dealership, law firm or restaurant to become a spokesman of their company. Title 9 isn't violated (though I'd imagine there might be a lawsuit, because there always is).

Make all the rules you want around it, cap it at $50-100k per year, the students must be in the advertisement and use the product, 90% of the money goes into escrow until after they graduate, they need to be wearing their uniform in the ad, all products must be approved through the school or whatever (so they aren't selling [censored]'s or something questionable). That allows the football, basketball, volleyball and chess teams attempt to get paid the same way (but not the same amounts).

Better out in the open than under the table.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/11/20 09:48 PM
Thanks.

I am not sure what they are doing here in Tennessee. Since I don't have any high school aged children of interest anymore, I am not sure what TSSAA has planned.

I am interested in all of them.....you know what I mean. Even later on I still went to a few high school matchups a year that were big matchups, but I don't do that anymore.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/12/20 02:14 AM
Big 12 voted tonight to continue the season. Trey Sermon is probably re-thinking his transfer.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/12/20 09:29 AM
Pennsylvania high school football is still on ... of course that can change any day
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/12/20 01:42 PM
Pennsylvania high school football is still on ... of course that can change any day

Right, it can all be flipped, even the Big10 playing. We just need some good news on therapeutics and the vaccines (the latter being later in the year, but they're testing a ton of stuff right now).
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/12/20 05:50 PM
This sucks but it is probably the right call.

I am just hoping we have a normal college football season in the fall of 2021. I am not even that confident in that.

I feel like the NFL will be fine. I hope they take the EPL approach and split their schedule into Saturdays and Sundays. Maybe even a showcase Friday night game. Why not. Have games Friday-Mon so you can have more eyes on your games.

I really hope they consider doing Sunday Ticket for free this year so that they can widen their broadcast audience.

I know the college kids wanna play, but something doesn't sit right with them out there playing amongst all of this, and still not being compensated other than their education. They rake in billions for their schools and these networks, I think this situation may actually finally get the NCAA to come around on letting them profit from their likeness.

The fall is going to be so sad this year. I love the NFL but I always look more forward to college saturdays
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/12/20 06:03 PM
I have had the NFL Ticket for many years now. I plan to call them this week to sort it all out. I refuse to pay full price for a season that may look more like the 1987 replacement player season and I will also need to be promised a pro rated rate if they cancel the season.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/12/20 06:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn
I really hope they consider doing Sunday Ticket for free this year so that they can widen their broadcast audience.

Sounds good, but I'm not holding my breath. Nor have I ever had much luck arguing with DirecTV representatives.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/12/20 06:15 PM

I'd expect to see more games streamed live on Twitter and YouTube. Possibly stream live games through the CBS All Access app.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/12/20 06:50 PM

Why would basketball still not have a tournament? It doesn't take the NCAA to run things.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/12/20 06:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

I'd expect to see more games streamed live on Twitter and YouTube. Possibly stream live games through the CBS All Access app.

I hope so. I think the NFL realizes that they are going to lean even more on ad revenue than they ever have. There will be zero attendance revenue, and I would expect even merchandise revenue could be down due to the unemployment numbers still being a concern, and the overall state of the country during this pandemic.

I think you can make more money by having a bigger audience, than you can with trying to siphon a couple hundred bucks out of NFL fans.

Like someone previously said, I wouldn't hold my breath, but it's just a thought.

I cancelled my subscription. I am going to explore other avenues to watch the Browns. I am moving in 2 weeks and want to cut down on extra spending to make sure I am good financially.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/12/20 06:55 PM
Originally Posted By: AZBrown

Sounds good, but I'm not holding my breath. Nor have I ever had much luck arguing with DirecTV representatives.

I’ve had NFL Sunday Ticket for 13 years. I have never paid for it.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/12/20 07:13 PM
You can't beat the system until the GOVT. treats the NFL like a monopoly .. The Dark Side of capitalism we are living in is the product of " lack of competition " and Big Bro sitting on the their hands and wallets..
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/12/20 07:47 PM
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
You can't beat the system until the GOVT. treats the NFL like a monopoly .. The Dark Side of capitalism we are living in is the product of " lack of competition " and Big Bro sitting on the their hands and wallets..

What? You are sounding a bit weird here.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/12/20 08:22 PM
I would guess he is referring to the anti trust exemption the government gives the NFL. It is basically a legalized monopoly.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/12/20 09:11 PM
That's exactly what it is.. Nothing weird about stating fact .. The Govt. allows it to operate darn near anyway it wants to.
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/13/20 12:19 PM
Guess a bunch of collage football players will finally get some learning in them.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/13/20 02:53 PM
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Guess a bunch of collage football players will finally get some learning in them.

Maybe. The problem with many is they knew early on their sport was their best chance. Many are sitting at a 9th grade level. Many just got passed along. It is what it is, but it's hard to start learning college level information when you have a 9th grade mind.

I am not passing judgement here. If a kid has a talent, you try to develop that. If the kid struggles in the classroom, but is good on the field or court, you try to develop that.

If the kid sucks in gym class but shows the ability to become a MD, you pump every bit of information in to their brain that you can.

It takes all. We all want Sports Stars, and we all want Medical Doctors. Every now and then you get someone who can do both, but usually not. They are kind of polar opposite. Either you have a strong body or a strong brain. Each has it's place. Each are needed.

Just a rant here...this is where schools let boys down. Bring back VocEd. Girls are better at sitting and listening. Lot's of boys aren't good at that. They need to be doing something.

Not everybody is going to , or even suited for a college degree. Why not teach these kids to be welders, pipefitters, electricians, auto mechanics, wood workers, whatever....give them a chance to make a decent living. Those all pay decent wages. You can live on that. Not everybody is going to become a CPA.

We need our plumbers. Grunt work no doubt, but when you write the check, you realize somebody is making money.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/13/20 04:11 PM
Quote:
Just a rant here...this is where schools let boys down. Bring back VocEd. Girls are better at sitting and listening. Lot's of boys aren't good at that. They need to be doing something.

Not everybody is going to , or even suited for a college degree. Why not teach these kids to be welders, pipefitters, electricians, auto mechanics, wood workers, whatever....give them a chance to make a decent living. Those all pay decent wages. You can live on that. Not everybody is going to become a CPA.

We need our plumbers. Grunt work no doubt, but when you write the check, you realize somebody is making money.

Many of these jobs pay a very livable wage. My cousin is a welder, and he is making over $35/hour. (and often gets overtime)

I think you underestimate women though. I have known several women who do trade jobs. (and you wouldn't know it from looking at them)
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/13/20 04:13 PM
Well you have to fit women onto their tight little stereotypes and men too.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/13/20 07:29 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Quote:

Many of these jobs pay a very livable wage. My cousin is a welder, and he is making over $35/hour. (and often gets overtime)

I think you underestimate women though. I have known several women who do trade jobs. (and you wouldn't know it from looking at them)

No, not at all. I understand that lots of women work in the trades. My comment was aimed at how schools let many boys down.

I don't feel like I need to be all inclusive in my comments. WTF?? Thanks for making my comment all inclusive.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/13/20 07:46 PM
j/c

Big East is latest conference to cancel fall sports because of coronavirus

https://www.syracuse.com/sports/2020/08/...oronavirus.html
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/13/20 08:10 PM
More will follow suit, including state high school associations I believe.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/13/20 09:48 PM
I think that the entire education system is more about profit than about education in many cases. I just feel that it lets a lot of kids down in a big way. (and I have felt this way for a long time)
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 08/22/20 10:45 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/01/20 07:40 PM
“From source: If conference can pass updated safety measures and procedures, Big Ten targeting Oct. 10 to start football season.” - Dan Patrick

https://twitter.com/dpshow/status/1300875158018756611
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/01/20 10:30 PM
October 10 would be great
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/02/20 11:11 AM
Better late than never
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/02/20 12:33 PM
October 10 - at Maryland
October 17 - Indiana
October 24 - at Purdue
October 31 - Nebraska
November 7 - at Iowa
November 14 - Rutgers
November 21 - at Penn State
November 28 - Michigan State
December 5 - at Illinois
December 12 - Michigan

December 19 - Big 10 Championship

I could live with it smile
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/02/20 01:43 PM
Is this a done deal or they still in the consideration stage ...

And I’ll tell u what ... if they adapt this and qualify it by sating we’ll see how it it goes in the other conferences they would look like geniuses .. funny how that works sometimes ... *L* ...
Posted By: Milk Man Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/02/20 02:16 PM
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Is this a done deal or they still in the consideration stage ...

Stewart Mandel
@slmandel
Just a reminder that the Big Ten's presidents decide when they return to play. Not Kevin Warren, not the ADs, not the coaches, not the players' parents.

And the presidents aren't the ones leaking these tantalizing October/Thanksgiving possibilities.

Stewart Mandel
@slmandel
Last week, Northwestern president Morton Schapiro ordered their freshmen/sophomores to stay home and closed fraternities and sororities. He is chairman of the B1G's presidents. Does that sound like someone who would abruptly pivot to October football?

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/1300880384989696000
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/02/20 03:10 PM
Also, OSU's positivity rate shot up from 1.6% to 5.8% from Monday to Friday last week.

Previously OSU had said 5.5% meant they would convert to online only. They've now walked that back.

The first batch of this week's test results come back today.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/02/20 04:36 PM
Yeah, having a few weeks to “see” would look smart
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/02/20 04:47 PM
Ty sir ...

U gotta love the internet ... *L* ...
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/03/20 01:00 PM
Given that other major conferences such as the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 are playing, I think that the Big 10 needs to rethink their decision on whether or not to play.

Not only will they be hurting all the players who have NFL aspirations, but they are also going to hurt the recruiting power of Big 10 schools.

I do think it is a shame that the NCAA isn't more united. I would be okay if all the conferences decided to postpone the season or if they all chose to play. I just think it's terrible that some conferences are not playing while others are.

And as an Ohio State fan, I would have no problem w/them telling the Big 10 to shove it where the sun doesn't shine and join the SEC. I know that won't happen, but screw the university presidents.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/03/20 01:07 PM
I agree. It’s a shame all the conferences couldn’t be united and we’re in this position.

It’s also a shame that it’s become political (what hasn’t) ... really hoping the B10 can make it work for October-December
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/03/20 02:04 PM
J/c

Anyone know if the teams are still practicing just in case? ...
Posted By: Milk Man Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/03/20 02:26 PM
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
J/c

Anyone know if the teams are still practicing just in case? ...

Here's the full article...
https://thespun.com/big-ten/ohio-state-b...-georgia-rumors
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/03/20 02:39 PM
A) I hope we play and win it all.

B) I hope we don't see students harmed by this decision.

Go, Buckeye thumbsup fingerscrossed s!
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/03/20 02:44 PM
j/c

If only the powers that be worked this hard at a national Covid plan as they are at trying to force the hands of conferences to play football while the virus spreads like wildfire at places like Alabama, Iowa State, University of Dayton and Providence.

As universities are being forced to go back to online classes only, all the powers that be have to say is, "play ball!"
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/03/20 03:08 PM
Ty sir!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/03/20 05:38 PM
Full article in the link.

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/03/20 05:56 PM
Here is what I don't get from the people that are supporting the decision to not allow the Big 10 to play football this year.

Are the Big 10 athletes more prone to catching Covid than those in the SEC, ACC, and Big 12? Are they more likely to infect other people w/the virus? Are there way more cases of Covid in Big 10 country than places like the south? Would players/parents not be permitted to "opt out" if the Big 10 decides to play? Isn't it safer for the athletes to be in a structured environment than in hanging w/other college students like the many photos we have seen from places like Alabama?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/03/20 11:48 PM
More things to consider.

High school football is happening in Ohio and probably other states, as well. So, Ohio high schoolers can play football, but Ohio State collegians can't...

Also, imagine the outrage on this board if the NFL said something like this: The AFC East and South can play this year, but the AFC North and West can't.

The entire thing is a mess.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/04/20 02:37 AM
It's definitely a mess.

In our local school district, the middle school, JV and Varsity teams have all been postponed for this week's games due to multiple kids testing positive for Covid at each level.

Each team played last week.

Kids were being called out of class and being sent home to quarantine (because they had close contact w/ those that tested positive) and are required to be tested before being permitted to return to in-person school and resume team activities.

Again, this is all such a mess.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/04/20 09:10 AM
That’s a nightmare. Unfortunately, it will probably be like that all year
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/04/20 11:37 AM

They have walked that back. The University says the Dr. was stating old numbers.

Who knows?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/04/20 12:32 PM
The story about the middle schoolers, JV, and Varsity teams are scary. I was wondering if they were playing at the Middle School level.

On the collegiate level, I heard [but did not verify] that there is a report that the Pac-12 is now talking about playing and that they have reached out to the Big 10 to begin their seasons at the same time. I figure they don't want to lose the Rose Bowl and all the money that comes w/it. That would mean that there would theoretically be two Rose Bowls this year because it is currently one of the Semi-Finals locations.

I think, but am not sure, that the Pac-12 is looking at a later starting date. Maybe around Thanksgiving. That's pretty late and they would probably lose the guys who have a first round grade. If they do resume, I would prefer the aforementioned Oct. 6th date.

I just wish all the Power 5 conferences would align and make a united decision. I would be okay w/all of them starting at the same time or all of them deciding not to play. I don't like that some are playing and others are not. I also am not in favor of different starting and ending dates for various conferences. It's mind-boggling that they can't all align w/so much money on the line.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/04/20 12:45 PM
They are playing MS level games in PA (not sure about other places)
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/04/20 12:50 PM
That's pretty crazy.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/04/20 01:34 PM
I agree. It would be nice if they were all on the same page either way.

I'm not sure how you have a National Champion and Bowl season when you have two major conferences sitting out.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/04/20 02:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

They have walked that back. The University says the Dr. was stating old numbers.

Who knows?

How often to these folks get MRI scans?

Being that myocarditis has no symptoms and is often never identified unless something causes concern to do an MRI. And it is often caused by viral infections, so being COVID positive seems likely to cause it. But I also believe it is not permanent.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/05/20 10:44 PM
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
That's exactly what it is.. Nothing weird about stating fact .. The Govt. allows it to operate darn near anyway it wants to.

But if you think about it, don't we live in a country with pretty much all monopolies.

I think if some disagree, they just don't see it yet.

it's tricky, think of the internet, and as long as they "change" the monopoly every 7-10 years, they can just keep only having one, but people won't wise up and then they won't complain.

(Alright, perfectionists,it's not a monopoly because mono means one, and I'm talking about a group- small group of choices,
well that means there's not a monopoly, right,

No! Even in the internet, which is supposed to be freedome to access anything in the world,

(you see the point is, 5 choices isn't competition, 50 choices is)

But, Ok, insurance monopolies, see the BIG GUYS, the ones controlling our puppet sticks, the puppeteers behind society,
They not only set up the monopoly of something like insurance, but then create another separate monopoly for discount insurance, and if necessary, one for premium high class insurance.

Funny how, only competition, even limited competition, doesn't show up until multiple countries get involved.

hmm. Monopolies in all walks of life.

Go try a Jack Daniels wiskey, .. aw c'mon, but there's Jim Beam, no monopoly.

Yes but again my point, -5- choices is not competition, -50- is.

How about Ameican beer? 5 choices or 50,
What about, Soda.

But wait there're energy drinks, ok, energy drinks,
-5- choices or -50-

How about chicken centered, fast food restaurant chain,
How about Fish centered, fast food restaurant chain,

It's not so bad, we live in a world of monopolies

Well we have, one passenger train company, and One passenger Bus country,
But we have -3- package delivery companies, no monopoly there,

Who collects the garbage, one of 5 companies but they have a monopoly for the area.

Go see a movie. Columbus is a gem here, (I've been told, Columbus is, well not unique, but some cities don't have the choice, see we are home to -6- major movie distributions, AMC, Cinemark, Lowes, General Cinnema, and 2 more I can't remember off my head.

But still, just like wireless companies, cable companies,
everything is a monopoly containing -5- choices,

and often times a lesser competitor will be added to assure if a big monopoly fails
there's a company already waiting in the wings already set up.
Tesla motors, how many compeitors from the USA does Ford have anyway. -5- or -50-

People don't have a choice in anything.

Or, people have -4- choices they can make on Everything.
Bliss!
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/08/20 12:06 AM
Originally Posted By: Lyuokdea
Also, OSU's positivity rate shot up from 1.6% to 5.8% from Monday to Friday last week.

Previously OSU had said 5.5% meant they would convert to online only. They've now walked that back.

I have most likely mentioned this before, but I am an adjunct professor at OSU. I had heard the 5.5% threshold and noticed that while the rate did eclipse that, they are still having classes in person.

I teach two courses, meeting two evenings a week. The message from the students at the end of Spring was that they preferred in-person to on-line. They signed up for in-person and wanted the campus experience.

OSU is offering in-person where the size of the room will allow the enrolled students to maintain a safe distance. I have not heard an official number but was told that it is about 40% of the classes being held in-person. As I am in the evening where the demand for rooms is not great, my department asked me if I would be willing to teach in-person as they would be able to schedule large rooms. I said OK, and so far so good.

I think the university is doing what they can. More than half of the classrooms are locked for the semester. A student cannot pop in one to study. The rooms in use have had about 2/3 of chairs/desks removed. The spots where the remaining desks or chairs are to be are clearly marked. Easy to see if one is moved. My students have been responsible. I have not had to remind anyone to wear a mask or to move a safe distance away. I have a wireless mic that I am keeping with me for the semester. Everyone who is on campus received a kit with 2 branded masks, a thermometer, hand sanitizer and wipes.

It is odd to see how few people are on campus. I used to have to circle the garage to find a space, I now have a level to myself. I am pleased with OSU's measures and efforts to date. It is up to the students to do their part, so we can finish the semester on campus. Thanksgiving at least - campus is shutting down at Thanksgiving as they realize students will go home for the long weekend.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/08/20 01:06 AM
j/c:

Imagine if you played for a quality Big 10 or Pac 12 team and sat behind a guy who was a high draft choice and you are just about to get your chance to prove your worth and your conference pulls the plug on your season.

Now, think about how you might have a younger sibling in high school or middle school and they are playing football while you are not permitted to do so.

Imagine walking around campus and seeing hundreds of students congregating in close quarters while you are not permitted to pursue your dreams.

The university presidents are playing politics and once again, the student athletes are at the bottom of the proverbial totem pole.
Posted By: jaybird Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/08/20 02:21 AM
Thank you for sharing - really interesting to hear.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/08/20 12:30 PM
This virus is a hoax planned years ago.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/08/20 01:52 PM
A hoax huh?
Want to come to work with me this morning? I have six patients to see. Two are COVID positive.
Posted By: YepTheBrownsRule Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/08/20 01:55 PM
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg

Put this in the political forum where this BS belongs.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/08/20 03:17 PM
Health experts and safety are not political.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/08/20 03:34 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/09/20 05:52 PM
j/c:

Quote:
Lawmakers in Big Ten states seek reinstatement of fall football season

by The Associated PressTuesday, September 8th 2020

UNDATED (AP) - Leaders of six state legislatures in the Big Ten footprint have sent a letter to Commissioner Kevin Warren asking the conference to reconsider its decision to cancel the fall football season.

The letter is written on the letterhead of Michigan House Speaker Lee Chatfield and also signed by statehouse leaders from Iowa, Minnesota, Ohio, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.

“Recent actions taken by other conferences around the country to start football and other fall sports have placed the Big Ten, its members and students at a disadvantage,” the letter said. “These athletes are losing a vital part of student life and are becoming less marketable to future employers with each passing week. Additionally, our local universities stand to lose hundreds of millions of dollars that support vital student scholarships.

“This is even more frustrating when we think of how our Big Ten athletic programs are leading the way by providing outstanding health and safety protocols. All of that unprecedented planning and teamwork was an unmitigated success, and yet somehow the conference has decided to cast it aside anyway.”

The Big Ten, and Warren in particular, have received strong pushback since the conference announced that university presidents voted to push back football and other fall sports until the second semester because of the coronavirus pandemic. Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields started a petition seeking a reversal, parents of players held a protest outside Big Ten headquarters and eight Nebraska players filed a lawsuit.

https://local12.com/sports/osu-buckeyes/...s-ncaa-football

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/09/20 06:08 PM
Here is more thorough article on the Midwestern politicians urging the Big 10 to reconsider their decision.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/in-letter-1...-165016090.html
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/09/20 07:14 PM
I find it hilarious how people get angry when they claim players are bringing politics into sports. Then when it suits them, they love seeing politics being involved in sports.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/09/20 09:17 PM
Methinks the last thing MUshigan politician Lee Chatfield wants to see is the Buckeye Furious kicking them around again.

O — H . . . . thumbsup
Posted By: Jester Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/09/20 09:28 PM
There is more to the article but I only copied the relative part

Severe COVID-19 riskier than heart attack for young adults; antibiotic shows no benefit

Reuters
Nancy Lapid
,Reuters•September 9, 2020

By Nancy Lapid

(Reuters) - The following is a roundup of some of the latest scientific studies on the novel coronavirus and efforts to find treatments and vaccines for COVID-19, the illness caused by the virus.

More young adults survive heart attacks than severe COVID-19

Among COVID-19 patients treated at 419 U.S. hospitals from April through June, only about 5% were ages 18 to 34. But that group had "substantial rates of adverse outcomes," according to a report on Wednesday in JAMA Internal Medicine.

Roughly one in five needed intensive care, one in 10 needed mechanical ventilation, and nearly 3% died. While the mortality rate is lower than in older adults, it is roughly double the death rate of young adults from heart attacks, the authors say. Obesity, high blood pressure, and diabetes were tied to higher risk for adverse events. For young adults with more than one of these conditions, the risk of a bad outcome was similar to middle-aged adults without the risk factors. More than half of hospitalized young adults were Black or Hispanic, "consistent with prior findings of disproportionate illness severity in these demographic groups," the authors said. "Given the sharply rising rates of COVID-19 infection in young adults, these findings underscore the importance of infection prevention measures in this age group," the concluded.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/severe-covid-19-riskier-heart-190554603.html
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/09/20 11:35 PM
Once again, other conferences are playing. Players in the Big 10 want to play. Their parents want them to play. The coaches want to play. Any player/parent who wants to opt out would have the ability to do so.

I do not understand why the Big 10 needs to cancel the season when the SEC, ACC, Big 12, the armed forces academies, smaller teams across the country are all playing. I also think it is absurd that middle schoolers are playing and college kids trying to make it to the NFL are not permitted to.

And once again, I would be fine if all conferences and independents chose not to play. But, you can't tell me that Big 10 players are more at risk than SEC players, or ACC players, or any of the schools in states like Texas, Florida, etc.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/10/20 11:29 AM
J/C

Although it’s expected all year, it still stinks to see games get PPD or Canceled at the last minute. Tough time to be a coach or student athlete with all of the unknowns
Posted By: YepTheBrownsRule Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/10/20 01:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Once again, other conferences are playing. Players in the Big 10 want to play. Their parents want them to play. The coaches want to play. Any player/parent who wants to opt out would have the ability to do so.

I do not understand why the Big 10 needs to cancel the season when the SEC, ACC, Big 12, the armed forces academies, smaller teams across the country are all playing. I also think it is absurd that middle schoolers are playing and college kids trying to make it to the NFL are not permitted to.

And once again, I would be fine if all conferences and independents chose not to play. But, you can't tell me that Big 10 players are more at risk than SEC players, or ACC players, or any of the schools in states like Texas, Florida, etc.

I completely agree. They should attempt to play. Now with that said, if any school's campus is closed, that school 100% should not play. That's just a really bad look if they have their team playing but students aren't allowed on campus imo.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/10/20 01:24 PM
Originally Posted By: YepTheBrownsRule

I completely agree. They should attempt to play. Now with that said, if any school's campus is closed, that school 100% should not play. That's just a really bad look if they have their team playing but students aren't allowed on campus imo.

I agree. We have some schools in PA who have gone 100% cyber but are still allowing sports. That’s a bad look
Posted By: Milk Man Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/10/20 02:03 PM
j/c...

Pause in Wisconsin football workouts further complicates October return for Big Ten season
Today 5:00 AM
By Nathan Baird, cleveland.com

COLUMBUS, Ohio — The forces pushing for Big Ten football to return continued to contrast with the force that already shut it down on Wednesday.

Late Wednesday night, Wisconsin announced a pause in football and hockey workouts for two weeks. That announcement came shortly after Chancellor Rebecca Blank shut down campus for two weeks due to a spike in coronavirus cases.

Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez chairs the Big Ten’s return to competition task force that has been working on a plan for a football season to replace the one cancelled on Aug. 11. Blank was one of 11 presidents and chancellors who voted in favor of canceling the fall season.

Wisconsin’s interruption came on the same day that Penn State announced it was suspending workouts in multiple sports — though it declined to identify which ones — due to a spike in COVID-19 positive tests.

The Wisconsin development alone would seem to further complicate any chance for a football season that began in mid-October. A two-week pause means the Badgers would not resume football workouts until Sept. 24 at the earliest.

Multiple athletic directors have publicly said a Thanksgiving weekend plan has been discussed. Ohio State coach Ryan Day also floated the idea of a January plan immediately after the cancellation.

Alvarez said last week the task force continued to gather medical information to present to the presidents and chancellors. Infection rates on Big Ten campuses and in their athletic departments continue to interfere with momentum towards a resolution.

Maryland and Iowa also both paused workouts last week. The Hawkeyes returned to practice, but the Terrapins remained in their shutdown on Wednesday.

“The medical circumstances are the reason why we’re in this postponement,” Purdue athletic director Mike Bobinski said in a Zoom call with beat reporters on Tuesday. “In order to roll out of it, we’ve got to address the concerns the group of presidents and chancellors had during that August meeting.”

Prior to Wisconsin’s announcements, Chicago Tribune’s Teddy Greenstein reported that a vote on if and/or when to resume football could come this weekend “at the earliest,” or possibly Sunday or Monday.

Another legal threat?
Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost told the Columbus Dispatch that he would recommend that Ohio State sue the Big Ten over lost revenue due to the decision to cancel fall sports.

Ohio State estimates a $130.1 million revenue drop for athletics for the coming fiscal year. Roughly $50-60 million of that total would come from lost football ticket revenue. Ohio State had already announced it planned to allow only 20 percent capacity at Ohio Stadium prior to the cancellation.

Football brought in another $34 million in media rights income in fiscal year 2018-19, the most recent year for which budget information is available.

Yost told the Dispatch an agreement to play football would eliminate talk of a lawsuit.

Big Ten response
You may remember another group of lawmakers, including Ohio Senate Majority Leader Matt Huffman, sent a letter to Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren and the presidents and chancellors who voted to cancel fall sports.

The 10 Republican lawmakers from six states asked for the decision to cancel fall football to be reconsidered. On Wednesday, the Big Ten issued its response. The two paragraph statement essentially said the league is working towards a resumption of sports but safety during the pandemic remains a priority.

“We could not agree more with the group of midwest legislators who stated in a letter to Commissioner Kevin Warren that the Big Ten Conference is “home to some of the world’s leading institutions of higher learning, scientific research and medicine,' ” read the letter, attributed to The Big Ten Conference. "The Big Ten’s Return to Competition Task Force is tapping into those resources as it prepares for a safe return to competition.

“The letter reflects that we all want the same thing, which is for “sports to continue safely.” The conference will continue to work with the Big Ten Council of Presidents and Chancellors (COP/C), as it has always done, to identify opportunities to resume competition as soon as it is safe to do so.”

Freiermuth opts out
Another of the Big Ten’s top NFL prospects will reportedly skip whatever season is eventually put in place.

The Centre Daily Times reported that Penn State tight end Pat Freiermuth will opt out of the 2020 season to prepare for the 2021 NFL Draft. Freiermuth totaled 507 yards and five touchdowns last season and was voted a first team preseason All-American by the Associated Press.

He is the second Nittany Lion to make that list who has opted out. Linebacker Micah Parsons, voted Defensive Player of the Year in the cleveland.com Preseason Big Ten poll, was one of the league’s first major stars to announce he will sit out.

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2020/09/pa...ten-season.html
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/11/20 01:00 PM
j/c:

Quote:

Ryan Day Believes Season Can Start Safely in Mid-October, Calls Communication from Big Ten “Disappointing and Often Unclear”

By Dan Hope on September 10, 2020 at 4:23 pm @dan_hope
Ryan Day and his team

The Ohio State Buckeyes want to play this fall, and they want to know why they aren't able to play now.

In a statement released by Ryan Day on Thursday afternoon, Ohio State's coach said he believes the Big Ten's medical subcommittee “has done an excellent job of creating a safe pathway toward returning to play in mid-October,” and that players want to know why they are unable to play while other conferences are playing right now.

“While I understand the Big Ten Conference’s decision to postpone the football season because of health and safety considerations, the communication of information from the Big Ten following the decision has been disappointing and often unclear,” Day said. “However, we still have an opportunity to give our young men what they have worked so hard for: a chance to safely compete for a national championship this fall.”

Day said he “couldn't possibly be prouder of how this team, our medical personnel, athletic director and president have stayed together and managed through this extremely difficult time with so many unanswered questions.”

“These young men and their parents have asked so many questions that I do not have an answer to, but the one that hurts the most is ‘Why can these other teams and players play and we can’t?’” Day said. “Duke is playing Notre Dame, and Clemson is playing Wake Forest this weekend. Our players want to know: why can't they play?”

Thursday's statement is the first time Day has commented publicly on his team's desire to play this fall since Aug. 17, when he said he supported Justin Fields' petition for the Big Ten fall season to be reinstated.

It comes on the same day that Penn State coach James Franklin also made pointed comments toward the Big Ten, as he told ESPN Radio on Thursday that “we just haven’t gotten great communication from the beginning” from the conference since its decision to postpone fall sports, which was made one day ago tomorrow. Nebraska president Ted Carter also said during a TV interview on Thursday that “it's time for the Big Ten to put out a plan.”

Teddy Greenstein of the Chicago Tribune reported Wednesday that the Big Ten will not vote until this weekend “at the earliest” to decide on when its 2020 football season will be played.

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine said Thursday afternoon that he had been in communication with OSU athletic director Gene Smith on Thursday morning and that he believes “there's a pretty good argument” to get the Big Ten football season going soon.

Despite the uncertainty that surrounds when the Buckeyes will finally get to play games again, the team has continued to hold practices at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center – while adhering to the 12-hour limit for teams that are not currently scheduled to play this fall – in hopes that the Big Ten will ultimately allow them to play a fall season and compete for a berth in the College Football Playoff.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-stat...nting-and-often

Posted By: Milk Man Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/11/20 04:20 PM
j/c...

Maybe this puts them a step closer to football in the near future? I'm not sure October is realistic, however.

Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/13/20 10:28 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/13/20 10:35 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/13/20 10:57 PM
Sounds like it’s going to be a green light. Starting October 17 ... play 8 straight weeks
Posted By: jaybird Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/14/20 12:39 AM
Get er done!
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/14/20 01:01 AM
I so want to watch Ohio State. It helps negate the pain the Browns bring each week.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/14/20 01:21 AM
I so want to watch Ohio State. It helps negate the pain the Browns bring each week.
i literally was thinking this all afternoon lol
Posted By: Rishuz Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/14/20 01:22 AM
Plus depending on where we land in the draft, Justin Fields could be our next QB.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/14/20 01:24 AM
I have questions about his ability to read coverages, Rish. Hard to say for sure right now, but he seems kinda slow w/his reads.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/14/20 01:41 AM
So did Lamar.

My preference is Baker figures it out and becomes the future. After that I want Lawrence. But let's be honest if we are drafting in the top 3 we are taking a QB and if we are not #1 we aren't getting Lawrence.

The new age QB is athletic. We can't draft another unathletic QB. Fields fits the bill.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/14/20 01:46 AM
I was thinking about Lamar and also about having an athletic qb when I typed out my response.

Day is a very good coach. Fields made a lot of progress last year. We'll see what happens this year, but as of last year, he was too slow w/his reads.

And yeah, hopefully Baker figures it out. I'm becoming more pessimistic, though.

Anyway...............man, I want to see Ohio State play so freaking bad!!!
Posted By: jaybird Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/14/20 01:46 AM
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
So did Lamar.

My preference is Baker figures it out and becomes the future. After that I want Lawrence. But let's be honest if we are drafting in the top 3 we are taking a QB and if we are not #1 we aren't getting Lawrence.

The new age QB is athletic. We can't draft another unathletic QB. Fields fits the bill.

We had a chance to have Lamar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes, or Deshaun Watson... passed on all three... I don't know if Fields will be an NFL QB... but I agree... next QB needs to be more athletic.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/14/20 01:49 AM
I think the one that really got away was Watson.

College football champion at big time school, great person and leader and we acted like he wasn't good enough for this franchise because of another rebuild with new guys having "their plan" and it didn't include a QB that year.

I friggin hate the Haslams.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/14/20 01:53 AM
Yep, we traded out of the 12th spot. "Smart."
Posted By: Rishuz Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/14/20 02:04 AM
Wasn't that the same draft as Garrett?

Could have had Garrett and Watson in the same draft.
Posted By: jaybird Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/14/20 02:09 AM
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Wasn't that the same draft as Garrett?

Could have had Garrett and Watson in the same draft.

yep... we would have had to trade up for Mahomes because of the Chiefs... unless we drafted him first instead of Garrett.... Deshaun ew could have taken but we decided to trade down...
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/14/20 09:22 AM
I agree w/you guys ... the new/good NFL QB has some mobility to his game. You don’t have to be Lamar, but asking a QB to straight drop back are basically gone.

I thought we’d move the pocket more for Baker (PA stuff like Shanny did for Hoyer) ... but it looked eerily similar to the stuff from last year
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/14/20 02:25 PM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/14/20 05:40 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/14/20 11:28 PM
He's a really, really good player.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/15/20 12:29 AM
Yep. Top 10 pick.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/15/20 07:48 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/15/20 10:09 PM
Lol thats awesome
Posted By: Milk Man Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/16/20 01:19 PM
Go Bucks!

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/16/20 01:24 PM
Looks like it will be the 24th. I would have went w/the 17th, just in case they have to postpone games. We have already seen postponed games in other conferences, such as the VA and VA Tech game.

They key is to get in enough games so that Ohio State can qualify for the playoffs.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/16/20 01:26 PM
8 game schedule.

Zero chance the Big Ten is left out of the playoffs.

Dan Wetzel
@DanWetzel
Per B1G-sources, as of now, games will be played on campus with no fans (other than families). That situation could change. Rapid testing should make 8 games in 8 weeks doable. Title game 12/19.

https://twitter.com/DanWetzel/status/1306216552249856000
Posted By: Milk Man Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/16/20 01:46 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/16/20 01:50 PM
Good news. Hoping the rapid testing is the saving grace
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/16/20 01:56 PM
LSU's head football coach reveals 'most' of his team has had Covid-19
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/15/us/lsu-covid19-trnd/index.html

I wonder how many of he LSU athletes will have long term cardiac damage.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/16/20 02:11 PM
Now, we just have to hope that Wade and Wyatt Davis opt back in.
Posted By: mac Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/16/20 02:17 PM
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg

Is there "ANYONE" who believes LSU gives a damn if their football players are infected with COVID? rofl
naughtydevil tsktsk rofl

I suppose the LSU players have a choice, sign a medical release form relieving the LSU of all medical liability related to COVID infection..or be cut from the team.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/16/20 02:39 PM
It's going to be a long month and change if the Browns don't start playing better.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/16/20 03:34 PM
exactly
Posted By: Milk Man Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/16/20 03:50 PM
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/16/20 04:18 PM
exactly

Wade has said he had not yet signed with an agent and could come back. Not sure about Davis.

BTN announcing its a 9 game schedule.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/16/20 04:38 PM
Interesting point: December 19 (the championship) will have ALL teams playing ... the two champions will play for the title, but the other 12 teams will play the corresponding team from the opposite division
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/16/20 04:46 PM

The other day, I saw a player from LSU opt back in. Furthermore, I think the fact that the Big 10 had cancelled the season should provide some leniency towards players who have opted out.

I have no idea if either of our players will even want to opt back in, but I think they should be permitted to do so.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/16/20 06:26 PM
Shaun Wade was just on ESPN. Apparently, today is his birthday. He just wants to enjoy that and is going to look into making a decision about a potential return tomorrow. He also mentioned something along the lines of having an agent, but not actually signing anything yet.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/16/20 06:53 PM
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg

Maybe some, maybe none. I'm not saying the myocarditis from Covid will behave the same as all other myocarditis, but as stated below, it mostly goes away on it's own. If it's possible to get myocarditis from the common cold, which I'm not suggesting it's the same rate (lower or higher), then maybe we should relax a bit before claiming an entire generation will have heart problems (not saying you suggested that, I've heard that elsewhere). And I'm not a hoaxer, I wear my mask everywhere, including when I go over my friend's for outdoor BBQ and stay 8 feet from everyone.

Mayo Clinic - Myocarditis

Causes
Often, the cause of myocarditis isn't identified. Potential causes are many, but the likelihood of developing myocarditis is rare. Potential causes include:

• Viruses. Many viruses are commonly associated with myocarditis, including the viruses that cause the common cold (adenovirus); COVID-19; hepatitis B and C; parvovirus, which causes a mild rash, usually in children (fifth disease); and herpes simplex virus.
  • Gastrointestinal infections (echoviruses), mononucleosis (Epstein-Barr virus) and German measles (rubella) also can cause myocarditis. It's also common in people with HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.
  • Bacteria. Numerous bacteria can cause myocarditis, including staphylococcus, streptococcus, the bacterium that causes diphtheria and the tick-borne bacterium responsible for Lyme disease.
  • Parasites. Among these are such parasites as Trypanosoma cruzi and toxoplasma, including some that are transmitted by insects and can cause a condition called Chagas disease. This disease is much more prevalent in Central and South America than in the United States, but it can occur in travelers and in immigrants from that part of the world.
  • Fungi. Yeast infections, such as candida; molds, such as aspergillus; and other fungi, such as histoplasma, often found in bird droppings, can sometimes cause myocarditis, particularly in people with weakened immune systems.

Treatment
In many cases, myocarditis improves on its own or with treatment, leading to a complete recovery. Myocarditis treatment focuses on the cause and the symptoms, such as heart failure.

In mild cases, persons should avoid competitive sports for at least three to six months. Rest and medication to help your body fight off the infection causing myocarditis might be all you need. Although antiviral medications are available, they haven't proved effective in the treatment of most cases of myocarditis.

Certain rare types of viral myocarditis, such as giant cell and eosinophilic myocarditis, respond to corticosteroids or other medications to suppress your immune system. In some cases caused by chronic illnesses, such as lupus, treatment is directed at the underlying disease.

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/16/20 10:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
Shaun Wade was just on ESPN. Apparently, today is his birthday. He just wants to enjoy that and is going to look into making a decision about a potential return tomorrow. He also mentioned something along the lines of having an agent, but not actually signing anything yet.

Thanks for the information. He's a true stud and we missed him big-time when he went out last year.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/17/20 04:35 AM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/17/20 07:56 PM
Shaun Wade's announcement on ESPN will now be in the 6 p.m. hour.

https://twitter.com/Dan_Hope/status/1306681678363078656
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/17/20 09:46 PM
Hope he’s back
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/17/20 10:27 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/17/20 10:27 PM
Awesome! It's great to be a Buckeye!
Posted By: Pdawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/17/20 10:31 PM
I got nervous for a second when he started out thanking Buckeye Nation.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/17/20 10:47 PM
Great news
Posted By: BuckDawg1946 Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/18/20 08:26 AM
No room for error, may have to push the CFP back a week or 2.

Open invitation to the PAC 12
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/19/20 02:39 PM

For context:

Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/19/20 07:13 PM
Posted By: jaybird Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/20/20 02:08 AM
Oct 24th cant get here quick enough
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/20/20 09:30 AM
oh nice! OSU vs PSU on All Hollow’s Eve
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/20/20 01:27 PM

Wonder if they'll try to white it out with ghosts and skeletons with no/limited fans.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/20/20 01:32 PM
I wonder how it's going to work out with the Big 10 playing 8 games and the SEC playing 10 games?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/20/20 04:42 PM

Wonder if they'll try to white it out with ghosts and skeletons with no/limited fans.
brownie
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: BIG 10 Cancels College Football - 09/20/20 05:11 PM

brownie

It won't matter Fields and the Buckeyes are on a mission !!!
© DawgTalkers.net