DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: bonefish Fight - 10/16/20 09:51 PM
Tomorrow is the fight between
Lomanchenko and Lopez.

One of my closest friends passed away last December. He was a boxing judge.

We watched boxing together for like 40 years. Every big fight going way back.

I have backed off boxing an don't know many of the new stars.

However, I have seen Lomanchencko fight. Amazing talented fighter. Superb boxer with power.

Lopez I have never seen. He is 15-0 with 12 KO's.

Young fighter stepping up in class with an experienced champion.

It is going to be on espn. So, it is not PPV at least as far as I know.

I will be tuning in. Lomanchenko is worth it. Really an excellent fighter.

Should be a good fight.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Fight - 10/18/20 04:35 AM
Anybody watching this Loma/Lopez fight? Don’t see the Loma as the best pound for pound best fighter in the world!
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Fight - 10/18/20 04:39 AM
Loma really picked it up the last 5 rounds
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Fight - 10/18/20 04:50 AM
Didnt think it was unanimous, but they got it right. I thought Loma should have had lost a point at the end with head butt, was warned the entire fight, could have ended the fight, nasty cut. Lopez lucky there was only 10 seconds left!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Fight - 10/18/20 05:05 AM
Posted By: bonefish Re: Fight - 10/20/20 12:37 AM
IMO. Thought the fight was way closer than the judges scores.

Lopez was the bigger guy. Never saw the weigh in. Some guys add like ten pounds. Lopez just looked bigger.

He won the early rounds but they were close. Loma won four or five of the last rounds.

Loma does a lot small subtle things in ring generalship that are terrific. His movement. His ability to go in either direction. Head movement. Never a stationary target.

Lopez had the reach. He also has heavy hands. Strong accurate Ljab. Lopez went to the body often.
He was also able to keep Loma away. Push him to keep distance.
Later in the fight Loma cut that distance. He got inside and did damage. He uses both hands well. But he is not a one punch knockout guy. He throws combinations. He will stun you and then close it out in a tko.

I agree Lopez won.

It was a real good fight. A unified lightweight title.

Probably be a rematch.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: Fight - 10/22/20 02:14 AM
Originally Posted By: bonefish

I have backed off boxing an don't know many of the new stars.

As many have.

I was a bigbig fan as well. Can remember listening to Ali fights at a very low volume(mom/dad) on the 9 volt transistor in the 60s at night in bed with school in the morning.

I think boxing became "watered down" so to speak after the split into the WBO, the WBC, the XYZ, etc, etc.

This fighter signed the the WBO, that fighter signed with thr WBC, that fighter, , ,..........

Terrible time to do that as when that happened the MMA was, as I recall, fairly new but quite the rage and extremely popular. It no doubt cut big time into "the boxing dollar" "AND" fanbase who quite frankly didn't care for most of the watered down presentation.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Fight - 10/22/20 03:11 PM
You certainly have a point about all of the different governing bodies in boxing. The WBC, WBA, IBC and WBO. It makes for so many champions it's virtually impossible to keep up with them all. I don't even really try to anymore.

With that being said, there's still a lot of quality fights out there. The internet helps me simplify a lot of that. When a fight is coming up on TV I can look into their styles and previous fights to get an idea of their styles and how the match up may play itself out and the strengths and weaknesses may present themselves.

So I still enjoy watching the sport as much as ever I just don't really keep up with all of the fighters and rankings the way I used to.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: Fight - 10/23/20 04:51 AM
No doubt.

Just watched "Bellator" MMA's Shawn Teed lose to "still undefeated" Steve Mowry.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Fight - 10/23/20 04:08 PM

The different fighting styles outside of boxing. MMA etc. I can't watch it. I start and don't last long.

I know boxing is brutal. But that stuff I can't stomach. It is just too violent and brutal to me.

Boxing was my first sport. My godfather was a heavyweight. My father had close family friends who had been fighters. As a small kid Gillette Cavalcade of Sports brought boxing to black and white tv audiences in the 50's. I was schooled in boxing before I even started school. I have a long memory of great fights.

Now I will only watch the big fights.

This fight was well worth it. If two young great fighters schedule a fight and I get a chance to preview the fight. And determine this should be good I will go to PPV bar or theater to watch.

I still love the sport but not like I use too.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Fight - 10/23/20 05:00 PM
I'm with you on the MMA. Not a fan.
© DawgTalkers.net