DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: TTTDawg 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 10/24/20 08:10 PM
Now I know why I keep thinking "SOMETHING BIG" was missing this year but couldn't put a finger on it.

The dedication these athletes have!!!

CAN'T WAIT FOR 7-23-21....!!!

Just thinking to myself......"hypothetically speaking, if, before 7-23-21, I dust under the TV and it accidentally falls on the floor and bounces 7 times I'd prob need a new one".

no?

Fifty-seven years* after having organised the Olympic Games, the Japanese capital will be hosting a Summer edition for the second time.

According to the organisers of the event in 2021, the Games of the XXXII Olympiad of the modern era will be “the most innovative ever organised, and will rest on three fundamental principles to transform the world: striving for your personal best (achieving your personal best); accepting one another (unity in diversity); and passing on a legacy for the future (connecting to tomorrow)”.

Aligning with the reforms advocated by Olympic Agenda 2020, the Tokyo Games will use as many existing competition venues as possible, namely those built for the Games in 1964, such as the prestigious Nippon Budokkan for judo, the Baji Koen Park for equestrian events, and the Yoyogi National Gymnasium for handball. The Tokyo National Stadium, where the Opening and Closing Ceremonies and athletics competitions will be staged, will be completely revamped and replaced by a new arena.

Japan has been an Olympic land since the Summer Games of 1964, which were the first to be staged in Asia. In 2021, the country will host its fourth Games, if we include the Winter Games of 1972 in Sapporo and of 1998 in Nagano.

*Due to the Covid-19 outbreak, the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 were postponed for the first time in their history. The Opening Ceremony of the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 will now be held on 23 July 2021.

https://www.olympic.org/tokyo-2020
I’m not holding out hope it’ll happen in July either. People need to buckle up. COVID is going to be a long ride. I think people just think everything will be back to ‘normal’ by 2021. Sorry to the bearer of bad news but....
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 10/25/20 03:12 PM
I think the use of the word tentatively should be greatly increased during the time of Covid.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 10/30/20 08:15 PM
Posted By: oobernoober Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 10/30/20 09:07 PM
True enough, but one thing to keep in mind is that there are quite a few countries that pulled their head out of their butt way early on (or never had it there in the first place) and are now enjoying a relatively normal life/lifestyle right now.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 11/29/20 02:56 AM
TOKYO 2020 ANNOUNCES UPDATED TEST EVENT CALENDAR

DATE 11 2 2020

The Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games announced today its revised test event calendar, following changes made in the wake of the postponement of the Games earlier this year.

The revised test event calendar covers test events for 18 disciplines taking place between March and May 2021. These events are an important component of pre-Games preparations. They will test three essential elements: the field of play (competition area) for each event; the use of technology; and workforce – with a particular focus on technical aspects, including COVID-19 countermeasures.

In addition, Tokyo 2020 will re-examine and review the content of test events that were scheduled prior to the postponement of the Games, in collaboration with the International Federations. This further aligns with the recommendations of Olympic Agenda 2020 and the New Norm, enhancing efficiency and reducing costs.

In response to the COVID-19 situation, Tokyo 2020 will implement infection control measures and plan to conduct comprehensive tests of various aspects of venue management, including taking care of spectators at selected test events.

Some aspects of the test events are still under review. Any changes will be announced by Tokyo 2020 as soon as they are decided.

https://www.olympic.org/news/tokyo-2020-announces-updated-test-event-calendar
Posted By: jfanent Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 11/29/20 03:22 AM
Since we're finally going to have the 2000 Summer Olypics I hope those athletes have been staying in shape, now that they're in their 40's.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 12/18/20 02:37 AM
Russia's ban from Olympics upheld by Court of Arbitration for Sport, but term is reduced
Tom Schad USA TODAY

The Court of Arbitration for Sport on Thursday upheld an international sports ban levied against Russia for doping, but cut the duration of the ban in half from four years to two.

The long-awaited ruling, handed down by a panel of three arbitrators at the Swiss-based court, will bar Russia's flag and anthem from appearing at each of the next two Olympic Games, and other major international competitions through Dec. 16, 2022.

Though the court reduced the duration of Russia's ban, its ruling was hailed as a victory by the World Anti-Doping Agency, which implemented the ban last year after WADA investigators found that Russia had tampered with drug-testing data.

"WADA is pleased to have won this landmark case," the organization's president, Witold Bańka, said in a statement.

"The Panel has clearly upheld our findings that the Russian authorities brazenly and illegally manipulated the Moscow Laboratory data in an effort to cover up an institutionalized doping scheme. In the face of continual resistance and denial from Russia, we clearly proved our case, in accordance with due process."

FILE - In this Feb. 18, 2014, file photo, a Russian skating fan holds the country's national flag over the Olympic rings before the start of the men's 10,000-meter speedskating race at Adler Arena Skating Center during the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. The World Anti-Doping Agency banned Russia on Monday Dec. 9, 2019 from the Olympics and other major sporting events for four years, though many athletes will likely be allowed to compete as neutral athletes. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip, File)
Russia's anti-doping agency, however, also claimed victory, and prominent voices in the anti-doping community slammed the decision.

Lawyer Jim Walden, who represents Russian doping whistleblower Grigory Rodchenkov, called it "nonsensical and undeserved," while U.S. Anti-Doping Agency CEO Travis Tygart deemed it a "significant loss" for clean athletes.

"There is no consolation in this weak, watered-down outcome," Tygart said in a statement. "To once again escape a meaningful consequence proportional to the crimes, much less a real ban, is a catastrophic blow to clean athletes, the integrity of sport, and the rule of law."

Thursday's ruling means that, barring an appeal to Switzerland's supreme court, Russia will have no formal presence at the Tokyo Olympics next summer, nor the Winter Olympics in Beijing or World Cup in Qatar in 2022.

Russian athletes will be able to compete under a neutral flag, however, and wear uniforms that contain Russia's colors. The ruling could effectively lead to a repeat of circumstances at the 2018 Winter Olympics, where they competed as "Olympic Athletes from Russia."

"Clean Russian athletes can take part in the Olympics without any restrictions and do that on a team formed by the national Olympic committee," Russian Olympic Committee president Stanislav Pozdnyakov said, according to The Associated Press.

The IOC released a statement saying only that it has "taken note of the CAS decision" and will evaluate its consequences for the Olympic movement.

Thursday's move also prohibits Russia from hosting, or bidding to host, any Olympic Games or world championships during its two-year ban. And it bars Russian president Vladimir Putin from attending the next two Olympics — unless he receives an invitation from the host country's head of state.

"This Panel has imposed consequences to reflect the nature and seriousness of the non-compliance (to the World Anti-Doping Code) and to ensure that the integrity of sport against the scourge of doping is maintained," CAS arbitrators wrote in part of their decision.

The ruling marks the latest chapter in a Russia doping saga that has now spanned nearly a decade.

In 2016, a WADA-sponsored investigation found that more than 1,000 Russian athletes in at least 30 sports were involved in, or benefitted from, state-sponsored doping programs from 2011 to 2015 — including at the 2012 and 2014 Olympics. The violations led WADA to suspend RUSADA, Russia's anti-doping agency, for nearly three years.

Then, just months after conditionally reinstating RUSADA in the fall of 2018, WADA requested drug-testing data from a lab in Moscow. But it found that the data had been "intentionally altered prior to and while it was being forensically copied," in what it described as another Russian attempt at deception.

WADA responded last December by declaring RUSADA to be non-compliant, and banning Russia from having a formal presence at major sporting events for four years, while allowing athletes who are deemed clean to compete under a neutral flag. Some in the anti-doping community, including Tygart, had called for a blanket ban of Russian athletes competing altogether.

RUSADA refused to accept that punishment and appealed to the CAS, which heard the case at a four-day hearing in Lausanne, Switzerland in November. WADA said it requested that the hearing be open to the media and other observers, but other parties in the case declined.

The decision comes just weeks after a significant anti-doping development in the United States, with the signing of the Rodchenkov Anti-Doping Act. The bill, which was signed into law earlier this month, will allow U.S. investigators to pursue doping schemes at international events where U.S. athletes, sponsors or broadcasters are involved.

"To the many clean athletes who were or will be cheated by dirty Russian athletes as a result of today’s ruling, please know that stronger angels have emerged," Walden, the attorney for Rodchenkov, said in his statement Thursday.

"The Rodchenkov Anti-Doping Act now gives the U.S. Department of Justice the power to step in to fill the void left by CAS, which consistently trivializes the longstanding and deeply rooted corruption by the Russian Federation."

Contributing: The Associated Press

Contact Tom Schad at tschad@usatoday.com or on Twitter @Tom_Schad.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ol...ion/3919998001/
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 01/12/21 11:56 PM

Tokyo Olympics: Over 80% of people surveyed in Japan reportedly believe games should be canceled, won't happen
By Shanna McCarriston
7 hrs ago

The 2020 Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics were originally scheduled for summer of 2020, but due to the coronavirus pandemic they were forced to be postponed to 2021. As it currently stands, the games are expected to begin on July 23.

However, according to the Associated Press, an overwhelming amount of people in the country think the games should be canceled or postponed, or predict they will not take place. Over 80% of people in Japan who were surveyed gave an answer that the Olympics will not or should not happen.

The survey was carried out by the Japanese news agency Kyodo and the Tokyo Broadcasting System (TBS).

The poll asked if the Olympics should be held, with 81% of the 1,261 people surveyed over the phone responding with "no." That is an 18 percentage point increase of "no" answers from a survey conducted in December. Just 13% of those taking part in the survey replied "yes."

The other poll done by Kyodo was asking people if the games should be canceled or rescheduled, with 80.1% responding "yes" to the question. In December, 63% of people believed the Olympics should be canceled or postponed.

Despite the skepticism, Japan Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga has confidence that the games will go on in 2021 as planned. But the growing concern from the public is related to an increase of COVID-19 cases in Japan that has caused a state of emergency.

https://www.cbssports.com/olympics/news/...ed-wont-happen/
Posted By: jaybird Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 01/13/21 03:46 AM
I'll be surprised if they actually occur... we'll see.. praying they do
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 01/13/21 12:10 PM
Do people even care about the Olympics all that much anymore? The only events that draw any real interest are team events led by pro players.

Boxing may be an exception, possibly some swimming events. Who gives a crap about the 4X4 relay?

I will say I do like the winter games. IMO, way more interesting to watch.
Posted By: OrangeCrush Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 01/13/21 12:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Do people even care about the Olympics all that much anymore? The only events that draw any real interest are team events led by pro players.

Boxing may be an exception, possibly some swimming events. Who gives a crap about the 4X4 relay?

As someone who ran track in college, I definitely care about the Track and Field events.
Even if they occur, it won't bring in the money they were hoping to since there wouldn't be the huge tourism cash-cow.... That being said, delaying another year then bumps against world championships, and a year after that would be a year before the next olympics.

From a spectators/viewers standpoint, I'd enjoy it if they happened. From Japan's standpoint, I'd try to either get the next olympics in 2024 (and thereby delaying everyone behind them by 4 years) or want to get the 2032 Olympics since the others are spoken for. Seems pushing everyone else's back makes the most sense to me without any real knowledge on what that would entail, but if venues are purpose built for this olympics, they'll be 12+ years old by time they'd roll back around....
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 01/19/21 09:20 PM
Tokyo Olympics 'unlikely to go ahead in 2021'
By Dan Roan
BBC sports editor
19 January 2021 Business

The former chief executive of the London 2012 Olympics says it is "unlikely" that the Tokyo Games will take place this summer due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Entrepreneur Sir Keith Mills told the BBC that organisers should now be "making plans for a cancellation".

Tokyo is currently in a state of emergency after a surge of coronavirus cases in the Japanese capital.

It is due to host world sport's biggest event in just six months time.

The showpiece has already been subject to an unprecedented year-long postponement as a result of the crisis.

The official cost has increased by 22% to £11.5bn, with the renegotiation of contracts and more security measures adding £2.1bn to the bill.

Tokyo 2020: Olympics and Paralympics will go ahead, says Japan's PM amid rising infections
Speaking exclusively to Radio 5 Live's Wake Up To Money, Sir Keith said, "I think they'll leave it to absolutely the last minute in case the situation improves dramatically, in case the vaccinations roll out faster than we all hoped. It's a tough call.

"Personally, sitting here looking at the pandemic around the world, it looks unlikely I have to say.

"If I was sitting in the shoes of the organising committee in Tokyo, I would be making plans for a cancellation and I'm sure they have plans for a cancellation. They've got another month or so before they need to make a call."

The Olympics are scheduled to run from 23 July to 8 August, with the Paralympics due to follow from 24 August to 5 September, but ten months on from their postponement, there is growing concern over the viability of the rescheduled events.

Last week, Taro Kono became the first Japanese cabinet minister to admit a decision on hosting the Games was uncertain, admitting it "could go either way".

The Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga has vowed to forge ahead with plans despite mounting public opposition.

A recent Kyodo News survey found around 80% of Japanese people want a cancellation or postponement.

Sir Keith, who now chairs the Invictus Games for wounded military veterans, said: "It's not just the infections in Tokyo, it's the infections in all the competing nations.

"The challenge is whether enough competitors and enough countries can visit Japan and make it a really viable games.

"We shouldn't forget the Paralympics. Many of the competitors have underlying health conditions so flying around the world competing will be a challenge for them."

More than 11,000 athletes from around 200 countries were scheduled to take part in the 2020 Games.

It is not clear how travel restrictions might hit their participation as Japan's borders are currently largely closed to foreign visitors.

Last year, International Olympics Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach told the BBC the Games would have to be cancelled if it cannot take place this summer.

Describing a cancellation as a "tragedy", Sir Keith said there would be a major financial impact for hundreds of national Olympic committees and sports federations, because "many of them rely almost entirely on the money the Games generates.

"So if you're running badminton somewhere in South America, suddenly your funding disappears and your sport is under significant threat so the knock-on effect of this - not just in Tokyo - but all around the world, shouldn't be underestimated. It is massive.

"If the games don't happen it'll be a huge economic blow to the IOC."

He said the economics of the Olympics are complex, and that for London, much of the upside came from the regeneration of the city's east end.

"The prestige, the spotlight on Japan and Tokyo, they'll lose that if they have to cancel, which would be tragic.

"It's left the sports event industry in a really dreadful position because [organisers] invest hundreds of millions of pounds in putting on events, but have an insurance policy.

"Right now you're lucky if you can get event cancellation insurance, and even if you can get it, the terms and conditions are really onerous now. So the whole premise of running large-scale events where cancellation is always a possibility… if there's no insurance there who's going to take the risk?"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-55722542
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 01/19/21 09:38 PM
That would be a shame. I understand it, you can't just "wait and see" because the logistics behind something like this are on a scale I can't even fathom and have to be done well in advance..
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 01/19/21 10:53 PM
Maybe they could Zoom it?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 01/19/21 11:41 PM
Originally Posted By: OrangeCrush

As someone who ran track in college, I definitely care about the Track and Field events.

Cool. I understand there are exceptions, but there are reasons why track events haven't managed to become pay per view events.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 01/20/21 02:42 AM

One of the great things about it.. there is something for everybody. I haven't cared about Olympic boxing since Sugar Ray Leonard..

I like a lot of different events and I have to admit, I'm MORE interested in events where American athletes are legit contenders..
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 01/20/21 11:51 AM
I can agree with that. Root for team USA all the way.

I just mentioned boxing as a possible exception. I don't really care or go out of my way to watch.

No doubt. It is a personal preference. For me, I just prefer the winter games. I don't really care about either, or couldn't tell you who the studs of the sport might be, but I would rather watch ski jumping over pole vaulting.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 01/20/21 09:40 PM
I agree with you that I prefer the winter games... I enjoy watching the little bios they do on the athletes.. I think it's cool that these people who work their butts off for sports most people have never even tried get their moment of fame..

And, I will openly admit, I liked the team sports like hockey and basketball better when they were amateurs. The dream team thing was fun once or twice just to show how dominant the US was.. and I guess if it served a purpose, the gap between the US and some other countries is narrowing, other countries are gaining on us.. but I'd still rather go back to amateurs...
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 01/20/21 11:09 PM
I agree. I think that is a part of it for me as well.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 01/21/21 10:08 PM
She loves me. She loves me not. It's like watching a ping pong ball go back and forth.

Tokyo Olympics has 'no Plan B' and will go ahead in 2021, IOC head says
Posted 7hhours ago

International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach has reaffirmed his commitment to holding the Tokyo Olympics this year, saying there was "no Plan B" for the showpiece sporting event.

The Tokyo Games are set to begin on July 23

Mr Bach said there was no reason to believe the Games would not go ahead
Japan recently declared a COVID-19 state of emergency in several regions including Tokyo

After the Games were postponed last year because of the global novel coronavirus pandemic, Saturday marks six months until the rearranged Olympics are due to start on July 23.

Despite dwindling public support and a surge in coronavirus cases across the world, organisers are adamant the Tokyo Games will go ahead.

"We have at this moment, no reason whatsoever to believe that the Olympic Games in Tokyo will not open on the 23rd of July in the Olympic stadium in Tokyo," Mr Bach told Kyodo News.

"This is why there is no Plan B and this is why we are fully committed to make these Games safe and successful," he added.

Mr Bach said the IOC was "fully committed" to holding the Tokyo Games on schedule.

With the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics on the horizon and rapidly escalating costs further reducing public support, Tokyo organisers have repeatedly ruled out postponing the Games again.

Japan has been less severely hit by the pandemic than many other advanced economies, but a recent surge in cases spurred it to close its borders to non-resident foreigners and declare a state of emergency in Tokyo and major cities.

The country last week expanded a state of emergency to cover seven regions, including the capital Tokyo and its surrounding prefectures.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-21/t...c-says/13080414
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 01/22/21 07:22 PM
It sounds like a game of ping pong. Back and forth. Etc, etc. Personally, if some athletes wanna compete then......have at it. No?

Japan Denies 'Categorically Untrue' Rumors of 2021 Tokyo Olympics Being in Doubt
TIM DANIELS
JANUARY 22, 2021

The Japanese government released a statement Friday saying rumors it's been decided the Summer Olympics in Tokyo will be canceled because of the COVID-19 pandemic are "categorically untrue."

Richard Lloyd Parry of The Times reported Thursday the Japanese government had "privately concluded" the Games are "doomed" and the focus had already shifted toward trying to secure the next available Olympics in 2032.

"No one wants to be the first to say so but the consensus is that it's too difficult," a source told Parry. "Personally, I don't think it's going to happen."

The International Olympic Committee posted its response, as well as the government's statement, on Twitter:

IOC president Thomas Bach told Ayano Shimizu of Kyodo News he continued to operate under the belief the Olympics would move forward as scheduled.

"We have at this moment, no reason whatsoever to believe that the Olympic Games in Tokyo will not open on the 23rd of July in the Olympic stadium in Tokyo," Bach said Thursday.

He added there would likely be "sacrifices," including a reduced number of spectators, with the Games held with a "safety first" mindset.

"This is why there is no plan B and this is why we are fully committed to make these games safe and successful," Bach said.

Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga, who took office in September, also cautioned no final decision has been made despite reports to the contrary.

"I am determined to realize a safe and secure Tokyo Games as proof that mankind will have overcome the virus," Suga told parliament Friday, per the Washington Post's Simon Denyer.

The logistical concerns of trying to host a major sporting event with players from around the world during a global pandemic have already been on display, though.

Ahead of the 2021 Australian Open, the first tennis Grand Slam tournament of the year, there are 72 players facing a "hard quarantine" where they won't be able to leave their hotel room for 14 days because of confirmed COVID-19 cases on the flights bringing them to the country.

The Australian Open typically features a couple hundred players between the qualifiers and the final singles and doubles draws. The number of athletes expected for the Olympics is over 11,000.

Although vaccines have started to roll out around the world, the focus during the early stages is on the elderly population and those with preexisting conditions that make them more likely to deal with major complications from the coronavirus.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the longtime director of the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said Thursday a "degree of normality" may return this year, but not until the fall.

So there are plenty of questions about whether it will be safe to hold a wide-scale Olympics starting in July, but the Japanese government made it clear a cancellation decision hasn't been made yet.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/a...-doubt.amp.html
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 01/29/21 08:59 PM
Tokyo 2020: Florida official meets with Olympic committee to discuss moving Summer Games to US. Japan is capital currently set to host Summer Olympics beginning July 23.
By Catie PerryFOXBusiness

Florida Chief Financial Officer Jimmy Patronis explains why he thinks Florida would be a good host for the Olympics if Tokyo, Japan backs out as a host city.

The idea of Florida hosting the postponed Summer Olympics is increasingly possible after a state official met with the International Olympic Committee (IOC) on Wednesday.

Increasing concerns about whether scheduled host city Tokyo can host the event this summer led Florida Chief Financial Officer Jimmy Patronis to offer the Sunshine State as a backup, he told FOX Business Network's "Cavuto: Coast to Coast".

“I had a nice visit with the IOC,” said Patronis, who added that Olympic officials "pointed out the value that Florida brings to the table – the talent, the resources, the funding that we provide.”

“I know the Olympics want Japan,” he added. “I'm just concerned Japan doesn't want the Olympics.”

Worries have been mounting over the possibility of staging the Summer Games after it was postponed a year ago due to the coronavirus pandemic. Since then, organizers have dealt with growing budget and health concerns, including a spike in coronavirus cases across Japan.

According to The Wall Street Journal, one Japanese official is calling on U.S. President Biden to help rescue the Tokyo Games. The IOC reiterated its commitment to holding the Olympics in Japan during a press conference Wednesday.

“The Olympics are in a tough place – 80% of the Japanese people do not want the games to move forward,” Patronis said, referring to two recent polls, reported by The Associated Press.

Patronis also pointed to Florida’s success hosting events like the 2020 NBA Playoffs in a bubble environment at Walt Disney World, as well as the opening of major theme parks.

“They're doing it safely,” he said. “We serviced 131 million tourists last year. That's more than the entire country of Japan combined.”

Patronis recalled IOC President Thomas Bach saying the Games are a television event rather than a spectator event. However, the Olympics still cost host cities a significant amount of money in infrastructure.

“The Olympics isn't an event to take lightly," Patronis said. "It costs billions of dollars to put it together."

He added there has been a huge outpouring of support to have Florida host the Games.

“The talent is here, the networks are here, the viewership is here."

https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/tokyo-2020-florida-official-meets-olympic-committee-moving-games
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 02/02/21 09:48 PM
Olympics-Games will go ahead regardless of pandemic situation: Tokyo 2020 president

By Reuters Staff

February 2, 2021. Kazuhiro Nogi/Pool via REUTERS

TOKYO (Reuters) - Tokyo 2020 President Yoshiro Mori said on Tuesday that Japan would hold the Summer Olympics regardless of the situation with the COVID-19 pandemic and was working closely with the International Olympic Committee to make them happen.

“We will hold the Olympics, regardless of how the coronavirus (situation) looks,” Mori said, adding that the discussion should focus on how, not whether, the Olympics will happen.

“We must consider new ways of hosting the Olympics” as a part of that, he said.

Mori added that while working together had its difficulties, Tokyo 2020 organisers and the IOC had a strong relationship.

Mori was speaking at the start of a meeting with Japan’s Sports Research Commission.

The 2020 Games were postponed last year due to the global spread of the novel coronavirus.

A recent spike in infections in Japan that triggered a state of emergency in some areas has fuelled speculation about whether the rescheduled Games can be held this summer.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-olympics-2020-japan-idUSKBN2A20WU
Originally Posted By: OrangeCrush

Cool. I understand there are exceptions, but there are reasons why track events haven't managed to become pay per view events.

I usually watch the track & field, Men's volleyball, swimming and as a kid loved the Men's BB but since we switched to our NBA players I watch Olympic BB will much less enthusiasm. AS a kid I watched weight lifting but not as much anymore.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 02/28/21 12:36 AM
Japan may open border to Olympic athletes from next month: sources
KYODO NEWS KYODO NEWS - 18 hours ago

Athletes barred from entering Japan due to coronavirus-related travel restrictions may be permitted to do so after the current state of emergency is lifted, sources with knowledge of the matter said Saturday.

The emergency declaration, aimed at containing the spread of the virus, is scheduled to be lifted entirely on March 7. Japan has temporarily suspended exemptions allowing foreign athletes to train in the country ahead of the Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games.

The Japanese government currently prohibits entry by all nonresident foreigners in principle but can make exceptions for humanitarian or other reasons.

With the Japanese men's national soccer team set to resume hosting World Cup qualifiers on March 30, and test events for this summer's games scheduled to take place from April, there are concerns about the impact of the travel ban.

Given the uncertainty, the government is likely to grant special entry to overseas-based athletes, while also easing the existing requirement that would force them to quarantine for two weeks upon arriving in Japan.

However, they will still be asked to refrain from venturing outside of their hotels and competition venues, and prohibited from taking public transport.

The Tokyo Olympics, postponed for a year in response to the coronavirus pandemic, are due to open on July 23.

Feb 27, 2021 | KYODO NEWS

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2021/...th-sources.html
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 02/28/21 02:32 PM
IOC: International Weightlifting Federation Has Ignored Reform, Could Lose Olympic Spot

Written by Phil BlechmanLast updated on February 26th, 2021

On Feb 24, 2021, Director General of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Christophe De Kepper sent a letter to International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) Interim President Dr. Michael Irani and IWF General Secretary M. Mohammed Jalood expressing concerns about the “culture and leadership of the IWF.”

This is not the first time in recent memory the IOC has admonished the IWF regarding its governance. As noted by De Kepper, three previous letters with explanations of concern were sent to the IWF on Feb. 5, 9, and 19, 2021 in regard to a recent decision that eased anti-doping violations. That decision was reversed by the IWF, but the IOC pointed out “many other areas of requested change” from the IOC and International Testing Agency (ITA) that “have been ignored.”

The IOC listed five major concerns including ongoing anti-doping investigations, Olympic qualification events, the scheduling of the upcoming Electoral and Constitutional Congresses, lack of transparency, and perhaps most notably: the “lack of engagement with the elected athlete representatives.”

Chair of the IWF Athlete’s Commission Sarah Davies has confirmed to BarBend in a to-be-released podcast recording that the IWF Executive Board has been largely unwelcoming and dismissive to her and other athletes’ presence on the Athlete’s Commission.

If the IWF fails to address the IOC’s concerns “in a satisfactory and timely way” the IOC may follow through on their threat to withdraw weightlifting from the 2024 Paris Olympic Games program as well as reduce the quota for IWF officials at the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games. Weightlifting has already incurred a loss of 76 spots in the athlete quota for the 2024 Paris Olympic Games — the largest of any sport.

Davies took to her Instagram page to “beg” every IWF member federation to vote for new members of the IWF Executive board.

She went on to highlight the ethical complications of members currently sitting on the IWF Executive Board. Examples included the anti-doping violations and a Medical Council rules breach committed by members who were former weightlifters, money laundering, and involvement in the financial corruption scandal involving former IWF President Dr. Tamas Aján.

Davies warns that if the IWF Executive Board is not overhauled in the upcoming elections, then “our member federations are to blame for losing our place in the Games.” British Weight Lifting and the European Weightlifting Federation have voiced a similar sentiment.

Davies believes the IWF needs “young fresh energy to move our sport forward.”

https://barbend.com/ioc-weightlifting-olympic-games-iwf-reform/
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 03/10/21 07:46 PM
Japan to stage Tokyo Olympics without overseas spectators
KYODO NEWS KYODO NEWS - Mar 9, 2021 - 23:34 | Sports, News, All, Japan

The Japanese government has decided to exclude overseas spectators from attending this summer's Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics, as part of efforts to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus, officials with knowledge of the matter said Tuesday.

The government and the Japanese organizing committee of the Summer Games are expected to hold a remote meeting with the International Olympic Committee and two other bodies possibly next week to make a formal decision on the issue of overseas visitors.

The government has concluded that welcoming fans from abroad is not possible given concerns among the Japanese public over the coronavirus and the fact that more contagious variants have been detected in many countries, according to the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Japan continues to halt new entries of foreign nationals in principle as it is taking more time than initially expected for the government to stem the number of infections since early January, when it peaked at more than 2,500 cases per day in Tokyo.

With the decision, the government will also have to review its growth strategy, given that expectations for inbound visitors to revive the Japanese economy were high, especially before the games were delayed for one year due to the outbreak of the virus.

On March 3, the representatives of the five organizing bodies, which also include the International Paralympic Committee and the Tokyo metropolitan government, agreed to make a decision on overseas spectators by the end of this month.

They will then make a call in April on the number of spectators to be allowed into venues based on Japanese restrictions on attendance at large events.

While the one-year postponement of the games has caused the cost to balloon to at least 1.64 trillion yen ($15 billion), the organizing committee was expecting to make 90 billion yen from ticket sales.

The committee now needs to proceed with refunding foreign ticket holders and it is expected to separately consider what to do with foreign spectators to be invited by corporate sponsors of the games.

It has not publicly disclosed the total number of tickets to be sold, but some officials have said it was likely to be over 9 million before the games were rescheduled one year ago.

While about 1 million overseas spectators were estimated to enter Japan, some 4.45 million tickets have already been sold in the country, of which about 810,000 requests for refund have been made so far.

In December, a government-led panel tasked with coming up with COVID-19 measures for the Olympics said in an interim report that overseas spectators could use public transport and be exempt from a 14-day quarantine requirement if they were from countries with relatively few virus cases.

However, the Japanese organizers studied several options in parallel, such as holding the games behind closed doors and staging them with a limited number of spectators just from Japan.

"We would really like people from around the world to come to a full stadium, but unless we are prepared to accept them and the medical situation in Japan is perfect, it will cause a great deal of trouble also to visitors from overseas," Seiko Hashimoto, president of the Japanese committee, told reporters last week.

Hashimoto has sought to finalize whether to let visitors from abroad watch the games live in the stands at each venue before the domestic leg of the Olympic torch relay begins on March 25.

The opening ceremony of the relay will be held without spectators as well to prevent the spread of the virus, officials with knowledge of the planning also said Tuesday.

The organizing committee has decided it is essential to hold the ceremony in the northeastern prefecture of Fukushima behind closed doors, only permitting participants and invitees to take part in the event, to avoid large crowds forming amid the pandemic, the officials said.

After the ceremony at the J-Village soccer training center, about 10,000 runners will carry the flame through Japan's 47 prefectures before the opening of the Olympics on July 23.

The training center served as a frontline base in the battle against the nuclear crisis that was triggered by the massive earthquake and ensuing tsunami of March 11, 2011. It was selected as the starting point of the relay to showcase the northeastern region's recovery from the triple disaster.

Last month, the committee released a set of coronavirus countermeasures for the 121-day relay that requested those who wish to watch the event to refrain from traveling to other prefectures and to maintain social distancing from other spectators.

In recent weeks, a number of celebrity torchbearers, who were expected to draw large crowds along the route, have opted out of the event, which was supposed to have been held last year before the Olympics and Paralympics were due to the global health crisis.

The Olympics are due to take place between July 23 and Aug. 8, followed by the Paralympics from Aug. 24 to Sept. 5

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2021/...orch-relay.html
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 03/25/21 12:17 PM
Olympic torch relay begins in Fukishima

The Olympic torch started its journey across Japan on Thursday morning after a yearlong delay. That's because the Tokyo 2020 Games were postponed due to the global pandemic.

The torch relay will travel through all 47 prefectures and be carried out under tight anti-coronavirus measures.

The relay began in the northeastern prefecture of Fukushima, which was devastated by the 2011 earthquake, tsunami and nuclear accident.

A departure ceremony was held with officials citing their hopes to overcome the pandemic and showcase the recovery efforts after the disaster 10 years ago.

Tokyo 2020 President Hashimoto Seiko said she hopes the Olympic flame of the Tokyo Games will "light up hopes around Japan one by one with its sacred, powerful and warm shine."

Fukushima Governor Uchibori Masao said, "Here in Fukushima Prefecture, we have been facing serious problems and are still recovering from 2011. So the torch relay and the Games are very precious for us -- the people in Fukushima."

The flame was brought to Japan from Greece last March.

The first runners are members from Nadeshiko Japan, the national women's soccer team that won the 2011 World Cup soon after the country was hit by the disaster.

About 10,000 runners plan to participate in the relay, each carrying the torch for around 200 meters.

Due to the pandemic, tight prevention measures are in place. Officials have asked spectators to wear masks and to refrain from cheering loudly for the runners.

The relay has not been without controversy -- more than 30 runners pulled out due to concerns about the spread of the virus and other reasons.

The 121-day journey is scheduled to end at the national stadium in Tokyo on July 23, just in time for the Opening Ceremonies.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20210325_29/
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 05/18/21 07:58 PM
2021 Olympics: Association of Japanese doctors calls for Tokyo Games to be canceled amid COVID-19 spike
By Gabriel Fernandez
4 hrs ago

An organization representing approximately 6,000 Japanese doctors took a stand against the Tokyo Olympics, arguing that the Games should be outright canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The message comes from the Tokyo Medical Practitioners Association in an open letter to Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga that was shared on Monday and written on May 14.

The big argument from the group is that the city's hospitals are already so full in response to a surge of coronavirus infections that to allow the Olympics to happen would make the situation much more dire than it already is.

"We strongly request that the authorities convince the IOC (International Olympic Committee) that holding the Olympics is difficult and obtain its decision to cancel the Games," the letter reads, according to Reuters.

This letter was written about a week after Japan announced a state of emergency in Tokyo as a result of the country's rising COVID-19 cases, something that has happened multiple times before. As it currently stand, the country's rollout plan for the vaccine is also nowhere near where it needs to be given what how much of the country was open prior to this recent federal initiative.

The Games have already been postponed once as a result of the pandemic - from 2020 to 2021 -- and doing so again would likely result in an all-out cancellation of the event. A poll released in April revealed that 72 percent of Japanese people want the games canceled or postponed as a result of a sluggish government response to coronavirus.

The Summer Olympics are scheduled to begin in Tokyo on July 23.

https://www.cbssports.com/olympics/news/...covid-19-spike/
Posted By: oobernoober Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 05/19/21 05:27 PM
Regardless of what you think about the situation, I highly doubt they cancel the games at this point.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 05/20/21 05:53 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Regardless of what you think about the situation, I highly doubt they cancel the games at this point.

Agreed.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 05/20/21 06:17 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
By 'you' I meant 'anyone', btw.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 05/26/21 10:39 PM
Major Japan newspaper demands Tokyo Olympics be canceled
8:01 AM ET

Associated Press
TOKYO -- Japan's Asahi Shimbun newspaper on Wednesday called for the Tokyo Olympics to be canceled with the Games set to open in less than two months.

It is the first of Japan's major newspapers to make the move and joins some regional newspapers that have recently added to the growing opposition to holding the Olympics.

Coming out against the Olympics could be significant since the newspaper, like many in Japan, is a sponsor of the postponed Tokyo Games that are scheduled to open on July 23. Asahi is typically liberal-leaning and often opposes the ruling party led by Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga.

"We cannot think it's rational to host the Olympics in the city this summer," the newspaper said in its editorial under a headline that read: "We Demand PM Suga Decide Cancellation."

"Distrust and backlash against the reckless national government, Tokyo government and stakeholders in the Olympics are nothing but escalating," the editorial added. "We demand Prime Minister Suga to calmly evaluate the circumstances and decide the cancellation of the summer event."

Asahi has a morning circulation reported at 5.16 million and 1.55 million for its evening edition. It is the second-largest circulating newspaper in the world, behind Japan's Yomiuri Shimbun.

Despite the editorial, there is no indication the International Olympic Committee or local organizers have any plans to pull the plug on the Games. But opposition is mounting with only a tiny percentage of Japanese people now vaccinated.

Tokyo organizing committee CEO Toshiro Muto said Wednesday he was aware of the editorial, but he offered little response.

Asahi is one of about 70 local Olympic sponsors that have chipped in almost $3.5 billion to the organizing committee budget. It is also one of a half-dozen newspapers that are sponsors.

"Of course, different press organizations have different views. And that's very natural," Muto said, adding that local partners, or sponsors, continued to offer "support."

Senior IOC member Richard Pound said in an interview with Japan's Jiji Press last week that the final deadline to call off the Olympics was still a month away.

"Before the end of June, you really need to know, yes or no," Jiji quoted Pound as saying.

The British Medical Journal called last month for a hard look at going forward with the Olympics. Local medical officials have also been skeptical, and billionaire businessman Masayoshi Son suggested over the weekend that the IOC was forcing the Olympics on Japan.

"Right now, more than 80% of the nation's people want the Olympics postponed or canceled," said Son, the founder and CEO of SoftBank Group Corp. who also owns the SoftBank Hawks baseball team.

"Who is forcing this to go ahead, and under what rights?" Son added.

Asahi also criticized the IOC, calling it "self-righteous," and also lambasted IOC vice president John Coates. Last week, Coates was asked whether the Olympics would be held if a state of emergency were in force.

"Absolutely, yes," he replied.

The newspaper said there was a "huge gap" between Coates' words and the sentiments "of the people."

"Despite its overgrown size and excessive commercialism and many other problems, the Olympics have been supported because of empathy for its ideals. ... But what is the reality now?" Asahi asked.

On Tuesday, the Japanese government said a warning by the United States to avoid travel to Japan would have no impact on holding the Olympics.

Japan has officially spent $15.4 billion to organize the Olympics, and government audits suggest it might be much larger. The IOC gets billions from selling broadcast rights, which amounts to about 75% of its income.

Public opinion polls in Japan show between 60-80% want the Olympics canceled because of the COVID-19 pandemic, and an online petition asking the Games be canceled has gained 400,000 signatures in a few weeks.

Tokyo, Osaka and other regions of the country are under a state of emergency that is likely to be extended past its May 31 expiration.

Organizers and the IOC, often citing the authority of the World Health Organization, say the Games can be held safely with 15,000 Olympic and Paralympic athletes entering Japan, joined by tens of thousands of judges, officials, sponsors, broadcasters and media.

Fans from abroad have already been banned, and organizers are set to announce next month whether any fans at all will be allowed into Olympic venues.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id...ympics-canceled
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 06/08/21 02:49 AM
NBC Universal will air more than 7,000 hours of Olympics coverage on TV and streaming video
PUBLISHED MON, JUN 7 20212:00 PM EDTUPDATED MON, JUN 7 20212:02 PM EDT
Jabari Young

The media company will use two broadcast networks, six cable networks and multiple streaming platforms to show the global games in Tokyo.

NBCUniversal, the parent company of CNBC, announced Monday it will show more than 7,000 hours of content from the Tokyo Olympics across its networks and streaming platforms.

Historically, the Summer Olympics has been a massive draw for viewers. In 2016, the two-week event attracted an average of 27.5 million viewers across all NBC platforms, and delivered 3.3 billion minutes of streaming video. The 2012 Games in London attracted roughly 31 million viewers, and the 2008 Beijing Olympics averaged 27 million viewers.

This year’s spectacle, which was postponed from 2020 because of the Covid pandemic, runs from July 23 to Aug. 8, with NBC’s broadcast network anchoring prime-time events. The games will include 41 sporting events, including new competitions such as baseball, softball, skateboarding, surfing and karate.

NBC will show popular competitions, including the USA men’s basketball team’s chase for a 16th gold medal, women’s basketball, women’s soccer, swimming and gymnastics featuring USA champion Simone Biles. More than 5,000 hours will stream on NBColympics.com

In addition, cable sports network NBCSN will broadcast more than 440 hours and USA Network more than 380 hours on USA Network. The Olympic Channel will show Team USA competitions, including wrestling and tennis. The Golf Channel will show golf events, and Telemundo Deportes will air competitions in Spanish language.

CNBC will show more than 100 hours of competitions during its prime-time programming hours, including diving, beach volleyball, rowing, water polo and rugby. The network has aired Olympic games since 2000.

Tokyo 2020 president Seiko Hashimoto has stated that she is 100 percent certain that the Olympics will go ahead despite widespread public opposition as Japan.

Tokyo 2020 president Seiko Hashimoto has stated that she is 100 percent certain that the Olympics will go ahead despite widespread public opposition as Japan grapples with a fourth wave of coronavirus.

In a statement, Molly Solomon, NBC Olympics production president, said coverage around the Tokyo Olympics would be “unprecedented” and will showcase “once-in-a-generation athletes and storylines that will capture the incredible uniqueness of these Games and our times.”

In 2014, NBC and the International Olympic Committee agreed to a $7.75 billion media rights deal to extend their partnership. The current agreement runs through the 2032 Olympics and allows NBC to leverage the 2024 event in France and the 2028 Games in Los Angeles.

There has been opposition about holding the event this year as Covid continues to impact countries. The IOC has inserted intense pandemic protocols for the games, including testing athletes at least every four days. Spectators from outside of Japan will not be allowed to attend competitions.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/07/nbcuniversal-will-air-more-than-7000-hours-of-olympics-coverage.html
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 06/08/21 03:51 PM
j/c

Posted By: Squires Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 06/11/21 01:40 AM
Originally Posted By: TTTDawg
More than 5,000 hours will stream on NBColympics.com

If I recall from past olympics, NBC still required you to login with your cable account. Meaning, cord cutters couldn't watch the streaming.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 06/22/21 09:45 PM
And for the 2024 Olympics..... saywhat

German firm's air taxi aims to be operational for Paris 2024 Olympics

PARIS, June 21 (Reuters) - German company Volocopter performed on Monday a first flight of its electrical air taxi in France at a show in Le Bourget airport and said it aimed to have a service in operation for the Olympic Games in Paris in 2024.

The flying taxi, which looks like a tiny helicopter, took off at Bourget airport near Paris and then landed vertically after a three-minute flight. It had no passengers on board.

It flew some 500 metres in the air at speeds of up to 30 kilometres per hour and was around 30 metres above the airfield, Volocopter said in a statement.

It has the capacity for two people on board and a luggage compartment.

"The clear intention for Paris 2024, the objective is to actually have a regular service in operation," Volocopter Chief Executive Florian Reuter said. "That's a challenge."

Reuters said the flying taxi service would initially be operated by a fully licensed pilot in order to comply with existing regulations.

"Over time... we want these vehicles to fly fully automated, so you will not need a pilot licence anymore," he added.

Reuter described the urban mobility market as "gigantic".

Reporting by Noemie Olive, Christian Hartmann and Manuel Ausloos; Writing by Matthieu Protard Editing by Gareth Jones

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports...ics-2021-06-21/
Posted By: Milk Man Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 06/29/21 04:36 AM
j/c...

Posted By: jaybird Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 06/30/21 02:10 AM
Incredible race... her move off of the second to last hurdle was amazing... great race...
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/02/21 04:19 AM
Man... talk about execution!

She accelerated through the tape and left everyone staring at her shoe soles.

Amazed.
Posted By: FATE Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/02/21 04:26 AM
Yeah, that didn't even look right... a different level.

Having that kind of fuel left in the tank to finish a 400m hurdles by destroying a world record holder is not something you see everyday.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/02/21 08:33 AM
If you think running, sprinting and most running is stupid and you don't like gymnastics then the summer Olympics are just a waste of attention that come around 4 years too often.

When are the winter Olympics?
Posted By: jfanent Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/02/21 03:39 PM
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
If you think running, sprinting and most running is stupid and you don't like gymnastics then the summer Olympics are just a waste of attention that come around 4 years too often.

If you don't like hitting and think throwing and running an oblong shaped pigskin up and down a field is stupid, then football isn't for you. What's your point?
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/04/21 02:44 AM
Quote:
What's your point?

So you noticed that he took off his hat too, I see.

wink
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/04/21 10:18 AM

When are the winter Olympics?

In ways I agree with you. I enjoy the Winter games. There is very little I enjoy about the summer games, but I don't think they are a waste because my opinion on the matter doesn't matter.

There are people who do and the athlete's competing have dedicated their life to what they do, so do what I do, cherry pick the events that do hold some interest and don't watch the other stuff.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/08/21 03:17 PM
j/c

TOKYO -- Fans were banned from the pandemic-postponed Tokyo Olympics which will open in two weeks, following a state of emergency on Thursday, Olympic Minister Tamayo Marukawa told the Japanese news agency Kyodo.

The ban was announced by the International Olympic Committee and Japanese organizers, reducing the games to a made-for-TV event.

Fans from abroad were banned months ago, and the new measures announced by Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga will clear venues around Tokyo - indoor and outdoor - of any fans at all.

The emergency declaration made for a rude arrival in Japan for IOC President Thomas Bach, who landed in Tokyo on Thursday just hours before the new measures were announced. He was to spend three days in self-isolation at the five-star hotel that lodges IOC members.

Suga said the state of emergency would go into effect on Monday and last through Aug. 22. This means the Olympics, opening on July 23 and running through Aug. 8, will be held entirely under emergency measures. The Paralympics open on Aug. 24.

"Taking into consideration the impact of the delta strain, and in order to prevent the resurgence of infections from spreading across the country, we need to step up virus prevention measures," Suga said.

Suga, who had long favored fans, hinted at a no-fan Olympics in announcing the state of emergency.

"I have already said I won't hesitate to have no spectators," he added.

Just two weeks ago, organizers and the IOC allowed venues to be filled to 50% of capacity but crowds not to exceed 10,000. The state of emergency has forced a late turnaround, which was always an option if infections got worse.

"We will have to consider the option of no spectators," Marukawa said in opening remarks with the IOC and others as they went into meetings to discuss a ban on fans.

The main focus of the emergency is a request for bars, restaurants and karaoke parlors serving alcohol to close. A ban on serving alcohol is a key step to tone down Olympic-related festivities and keep people from drinking and partying. Tokyo residents are expected to face stay-home requests and watch the games on TV from home.

"How to stop people enjoying the Olympics from going out for drinks is a main issue," Health Minister Norihisa Tamura said.

The present state of emergency ends Sunday. Tokyo reported 896 new cases on Thursday, up from 673 a week earlier. It's the 19th straight day that cases have topped the mark set seven days prior. New cases on Wednesday hit 920, the highest total since 1,010 were reported on May 13.

The no-fan atmosphere will include the opening ceremony at the $1.4 billion National Stadium, which is traditionally the most watched event during the Olympics.

"It's not too late. Cancel or postpone it," said Yukio Edano, the head of the Constitutional Democratic Party of Japan, the largest opposition party to Suga's LDP

The uptick in infections has also forced the Tokyo city government to pull the Olympic torch relay off capital streets, allowing it to run only on remote islands off the Tokyo coast. It's unclear how the torch will enter the stadium for the opening ceremony.

"The infections are in their expansion phase and everyone in this country must firmly understand the seriousness of it," Dr. Shigeru Omi, a top government medical adviser, said.

He urged authorities to quickly take tough measures ahead of the Olympics, with summer vacations approaching.

Omi has repeatedly called for a ban on spectators, and has said it's "abnormal" to hold the Olympics during a pandemic.

Separately, a government COVID-19 advisory panel met Wednesday and expressed concerns about the ongoing resurgence of the infections.

"Two-thirds of the infections in the capital region are from Tokyo, and our concern is the spread of the infections to neighboring areas," said Ryuji Wakita, director-general of the National Institute of Infectious Diseases.

The Olympics are pushing ahead against most medical advice, partially because the postponement stalled the IOC's income flow. It gets almost 75% of its income from selling broadcast rights, and estimates suggest it would lose $3 billion to $4 billion if the Olympics were canceled.

About 11,000 Olympians and 4,400 Paralympians are expected to enter Japan, with tens of thousands of officials, judges, administrators, sponsors, broadcasters, and media also entering. The IOC says more than 80% of resident of the Olympic Village will be vaccinated.

Nationwide, Japan has had about 810,000 cases and nearly 14,900 deaths. Only 15% of Japanese are fully vaccinated, still low compared with 47.4% in the United States and almost 50% in Britain.

https://6abc.com/japan-declares-state-of-emergency-covid-olympics-2021-tokyo-olympic-games/10870996/
Posted By: oobernoober Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/08/21 06:28 PM
It's almost as if they shouldn't be doing this (the Olympics) at all right now....
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/08/21 06:34 PM
The majority of Japanese citizens agree.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/09/21 05:03 AM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
The majority of Japanese citizens agree.

Makes me shake my head....
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/09/21 09:59 AM
Me too. It seems pointless at this time.

Is it just me, but do the Olympics really generate that much interest?

I admit I have long said I prefer the winter games, but even those, how much do people really watch? I know, every game has some story that takes people by storm, but other than certain events, I don't find them all that watchable.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/09/21 12:46 PM
For me, my waning interest has coincided with the darker side of the Olympics coming out into the open over the past decade. From the financial side of hosting games (and outright lies pushed on developing countries to get them to do so), to the various judging corruption scandals, to some checkered human rights decisions involving the IOC... the list is long and getting longer.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/09/21 04:56 PM
Here's the answer to the question of why they're still being held...........

Tokyo Games cancellation would cost Japan $17 billion, Nomura says

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/0...cellation-cost/
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/10/21 12:38 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Here's the answer to the question of why they're still being held...........

Tokyo Games cancellation would cost Japan $17 billion, Nomura says

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/0...cellation-cost/

No doubt that is one of the reasons. We could point out many different reasons. I was speaking in a broader spectrum.

No doubt money plays a role. The host country had to bid on the games, requiring many $millions in investment. In return, the host country should see a ROI.

No county invests that much simply for the love of the games.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/10/21 04:08 PM
So we agree it all revolves around the money aspect. Maybe differing money aspects but it's all about money. Let's face it, a city under a state of emergency lock down during a pandemic wouldn't be holding the Olympics under those circumstances for any other reason.

But we all know how it works. Do we choose ROI over corpses? Of course we do.
Good bad or indifferent, life is about money.

Spectators are banned at the Olympics, according to this: https://www.yahoo.com/gma/covid-19-rules-tokyo-olympics-130854114.html

Athletes, coaches, journalists, etc must be tested twice before arriving in Japan, and will be tested daily while in Japan as well.

While vaccinations for those people are not required, they are highly recommended.

Seems to me they are doing everything possible to keep everyone safe. They are using the same protocols that we use here, plus.

Remember, something like 99.5% of people that are dying from covid - whatever variant - are those not vaccinated as of the last I read about it.

The vaccine doesn't prevent the virus, it prevents most deaths and/or serious illness from the virus.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/10/21 05:02 PM
Both the Moderna and Phizer vaccine are about 90% effective in preventing you from contracting the virus.

And you're right. Good, bad or indifferent, it's all about money.

‘Real world’ study by CDC shows Pfizer and Moderna vaccines were 90% effective

A new study suggests the messenger RNA vaccines produced by Moderna and the Pfizer-BioNTech partnership appeared to be 90% effective in preventing Covid-19 infection in a real-world setting.

The study was released Monday in Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, an online journal published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

https://www.statnews.com/2021/03/29/real...e-90-effective/

There's more to the article and sources everywhere that confirm this. This was in March. The facts about this have been out for a long time now.
Pretty much what I said, but Last word dude can't accept my statements.

The vaccines def. prevent you/a person from getting seriously ill or death.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/10/21 05:46 PM
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
The vaccine doesn't prevent the virus, it prevents most deaths and/or serious illness from the virus.

This is what you said.
Correct.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/10/21 06:26 PM
So when something prevents something 90% of the time, it doesn't prevent something? Alrighty then.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/10/21 07:06 PM
Studies show that COVID-19 vaccines are effective at keeping you from getting COVID-19. Getting a COVID-19 vaccine will also help keep you from getting seriously ill even if you do get COVID-19. Learn more about the benefits of getting vaccinated.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/keythingstoknow.html
Thank you. "Getting a COVID-19 vaccine will also help keep you from getting seriously ill even if you do get COVID-19"
Posted By: jaybird Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/11/21 02:07 AM
I absolutely love the olympics... I try to watch as much as I can.... absolutely love the swimming and track... will try to watch as much s I can of everything else...
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/11/21 02:38 PM
I'm sorry you can't read. I even bolded it for you. And even the part you did comprehend, you left out the "will also" after the bolded part. As Strother Martin said, "Some men you just can't reach."
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/11/21 04:42 PM
Originally Posted By: jaybird
I absolutely love the olympics... I try to watch as much as I can.... absolutely love the swimming and track... will try to watch as much s I can of everything else...

Me too.

Know what I love about the Olympics? It's not football, basketball or baseball, and unless one is a junkie with 20 sports channels, we only get to see them once every 4 years.

Love the uniqueness, love the rarity.
Posted By: jfanent Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/11/21 05:08 PM
That's exactly where I'm at. I can totally get into that brief period every 4 years. It was awesome when I couldn't wait for Usain Bolt's next race, Michael Phelp's next event, The USA/Canada women's soccer and hockey matches. What happens to these folks/teams in the 4 years between? I haven't a clue.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/13/21 03:03 AM
yupyupyupyouright, son.

Summer, Winter... doesn't matter.
I love this stuff.

It's also a way to honor my time spent with My Pops. My love of the Olympics was instilled by him. Every 4 years, I'd hear the same speech:

"Bobby- this is special. For 2 weeks, everyone gets together to see what the rest of the world looks like, when they're wearing their 'Sunday best'. Norwegians look like Norwegians. Nigerians look like Nigerians. You see us? America looks like The World."

Every 4 years.
Winter or Summer.

Man, how I've missed that speech.
I'm glad you helped me remember it tonight.

Posted By: SuperBrown Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/13/21 03:37 AM

Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/19/21 08:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Originally Posted By: jaybird

Me too.

Know what I love about the Olympics? It's not football, basketball or baseball, and unless one is a junkie with 20 sports channels, we only get to see them once every 4 years.

Love the uniqueness, love the rarity.

Put me in this group. I played football, basketball, baseball, soccer, and golf growing up. Nothing close to a pro level but I have some understanding of what it takes to be good at those sports. Watching swimming and gymnastics and some of the other sports, I'm just in awe of what these athletes can do.. I have no basis to understand it, but I love watching it.

I also enjoy the human-interest back stories to some of the athletes. I will admit that sometimes they seem to go overboard just a little trying to make it seem like every athlete overcame some kind of life changing traumatizing event when a lot of them are just "Well, that's kind of sad".. but I still like watching them.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/20/21 03:51 AM
1. I swam in HS, so I'm all about the Aquatic events. (Yes, even Water Polo and Synchronized Swimming).
2. I did entry-level gymnastics when other kids were playing Pop Warner (tumbling, trampoline, rings, P-bars, floor exercise-).
I try not to miss any of those events. Men's, Women's... all of it.
3. Three of my childhood best friends became Track & Field phenoms in HS, so I developed a real love and appreciation for those talents and disciplines, as well.

There are parallels between sports training and the regimen that developing musicians undertake. After all, there are only so many ways to train a human body to do specialized tasks. The specific tools may differ from discipline to discipline, but the basic approaches are strikingly similar. I know from first-hand experience what these people went through to hone a craft/specialty.

I gotta admit: the prevailing world atmosphere (COVID 19) has put a damper on my enthusiasm, but not my fandom. At some point, we will no longer be dealing with a life-threatening global pandemic, and The Games will again look and feel like they always did.

But I'll also say this: once I hear that Olympic theme blasting into my TV room, I'm sure I'll be right back in the thick of the moment.

Once every 4 years.
A handful of opportunities in a normal lifespan.

Rarity makes this something special, every time.
If I make it to 72, there will have been only 18 Summer and Winter Olympic games presented in my lifetime... two of each, I was too young to experience.

I'm not missing a moment of these events, if I can help it.

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/20/21 04:49 PM
j/c

U.S. Olympic Gymnast One Of Growing Number Of Tokyo 2020 Athletes To Test Positive For Covid-19

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurke...sh=1201815230fa
Posted By: jfanent Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/21/21 11:33 AM
Unfortunately, I'm leaving for Colorado on Sunday and returning on the 7th of August. My son's getting married in Boulder, and we're going to be exploring the area and Rocky Mountain National Park in the days before and after. I'll try and catch some events in the evenings, but I'm going to miss most of the Olympics for the first time in forever.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/25/21 04:51 AM
jc

I didnt think much of the opening ceremonies yesterday. But today I really enjoyed the skateboarding and swimming.
Posted By: fishtheice Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/25/21 05:15 AM
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
jc

I didnt think much of the opening ceremonies yesterday. But today I really enjoyed the skateboarding and swimming.

I agree Eve, the skateboarding was an interesting event, I was surprised.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/26/21 01:53 AM
Really? I found the skateboarding event to be a total snooze-fest. The few people I've mentioned it to agreed with me, so I am sincerely glad there are people out there that found it entertaining.

The crime against humanity that was the skateboarders' uniforms was the only thing that kept me awake (for the wrong reasons). The best-looking getup was the Aussie who was wearing the Asics polo... and with him they were probably just like "we're Asics... we don't make skateboarder stuff.... just give him a polo that 3 sizes too big and call it a day".
Posted By: EveDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/26/21 02:06 AM
I was trying to figure out what moves they were doing to match the name of the trick.

Today I watched a bunch of events, but I really appreciated that they showed the Dressage. I used to do dressage with my horse so I enjoyed that.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/26/21 02:28 AM
I dont understand why they arent showing any of the medal ceremonies. Are they trying to avoid political crap? I have watched events on various channels, and havent seen any politics. Which makes me happy. But I would like to see medal ceremonies.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/26/21 10:46 AM
I dont understand why they arent showing any of the medal ceremonies. Are they trying to avoid political crap? I have watched events on various channels, and havent seen any politics. Which makes me happy. But I would like to see medal ceremonies.
i agree. In fact, the entire coverage has confused me. I can’t find some events, channels, never know what’s live, etc. It seems like it could be produced in a much more efficient way
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/26/21 08:19 PM
Cycling? Way too long on some. Some re-broadcast without clarifying. This has been a scavenger hunt for us. Bizarre choices, too. Our gripe is the premium placed on backstories and profiles and schmaltzy stuff rather than the competitions. I would watch the medals.

Low tide: Every interview of winners starting out with talking about the winner's feelings. Clue: Just won a gold medal, international stage, how might they feel.

The event is better than this scattergun broadcasting in our opinion. Football, please. Popcorn is waiting.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/27/21 01:00 PM
Fabuloso!
rofl
brownie
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/27/21 03:51 PM
j/c

Simone Biles withdraws from team final, U.S. women win silver in gymnastics

It is not clear if Biles will compete in Thursday's individual all-around competition, where she is the defending champion.

Simone Biles, who shocked the Olympic world Tuesday when she pulled out of the U.S. team gymnastics finals, said the emotional toll of the Tokyo Games, rather than a physical injury, prompted her withdrawal.

"Physically, I feel good. I'm in shape," Biles told Hoda Kotb on NBC's "TODAY" show following her exit. "Emotionally, it varies on the time and moment. Coming to the Olympics and being head star isn't an easy feat."

She explained further to NBC's Andrea Joyce that her struggle was "more mental, and we’re just dealing with a couple of things internally."

But "the girls did well. They stepped up when they needed to," she said.

After Biles' departure, the U.S. women's gymnastics team won silver.

The Russian Olympic Committee won gold and the British team won bronze. The U.S. was hoping to clinch its third straight championship with a strong team, with Biles leading.

"I'm OK," she told Kotb. "Just super frustrated. But super proud of these girls and now we're silver medalists — something we'll cherish forever. We hope America still loves us."

A statement from USA Gymnastics originally said the 24-year-old gymnast withdrew due to a medical issue.

"She will be assessed daily to determine medical clearance for future competitions," officials said in the statement.

Biles’ coach later told NBC that “physically she is fine. But she is done for the night."

Though shaky on some by her standards, Biles had qualified for all finals and was expected to go on to compete in individual all-around, floor exercise, beam, uneven bars and vault.

Kotb asked Biles if viewers can expect to see her in Thursday's individual all-around competition, where she is the defending champion.

"We're gonna take it day by day, and we're just gonna see," she said.

The four-time Olympic gold medalist competed in Team USA's first rotation on vault Tuesday, bailing out of her Amanar and only completing a 1.5 twist on a 2.5-twisting Yurchenko, then taking a big stumble on the landing.

She then huddled with a trainer and exited the floor with the team doctor.

Biles scored a 13.766. An Amanar can score a maximum of 15.8. In qualifications, Biles scored a 15.183 on vault.

She then was expected to compete on the uneven bars, but Jordan Chiles was subbed in.

Biles returned to the floor with her team, in a sweatsuit, to cheer them on in remaining rotations from the sidelines.

She told Kotb that her teammates, Chiles, Sunisa Lee and Grace McCallum, "were freaking out" when she told them she was going to sit out the rest of the final.

"They were like crying," she said. "And I was like, 'You guys need to relax. You’re going to be fine without me. Go out there you kick some butt just like you’ve done in training and just lay it out on the floor.'"

Kotb pointed out that she essentially stepped into a coaching role.

"I kinda like that a little bit more. I think I'm going to stay with that now," Biles joked.

On Monday, she shared on Instagram that she felt competing in the preliminaries "wasn’t an easy day or my best but I got through it."

"I truly do feel like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders at times. I know I brush it off and make it seem like pressure doesn’t affect me but damn sometimes it’s hard hahaha! The olympics is no joke!" she wrote.

Biles won five medals in Rio de Janeiro in 2016 and has a chance to win six at these games. She is not only the star of the women's gymnastics team, but arguably the biggest name on Team USA.

Aly Raisman, a former Team USA gymnast who won three Olympic gold medals, said on "TODAY" that she felt "sick to her stomach" about Biles' exit.

“I think that Simone is the biggest story going into the Olympics, so this is just, it’s really, really devastating,” she said. “But I think it’s also just really important to think about how much pressure has been on her, and there’s only so much that someone can take. You know, she’s human, and I think sometimes people forget that. And Simone, just like everyone else, is doing the best that she can.”

NBC Olympics prime time host Mike Tirico said Biles' departure was "certainly as odd a turn I think as anyone expected."

"It was a bizarre twist to say the least," he said. But Tirico also noted that for Biles, "internally, externally, there was a lot of pressure a lot of expectations and sometimes it’s hard to deliver when that’s the case."

"We can’t imagine what kind of pressure" she's under, he said.

Tirico lauded Biles' teammates, who "with no margin for error, were able to win the silver, which is a great effort on their part."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/olympics/si...injury-n1275121
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/28/21 02:29 AM
She' Def gone thru a lot.....

Inside Simone Biles’ shocking exit: Anatomy of an Olympics breakdown
By Jane Ridley

Updated: July 27, 2021 | 9:03pm

America’s beloved gymnast announced Tuesday that she was withdrawing from the team competition following a “stunning breakdown” at the long-delayed 2020 Olympics, citing mental health issues — and not an injury — that were exacerbated by the pressure to be “head star” at the summer games.

After her unexpected departure, the USA women’s gymnastics team ended up taking home the silver medal without 24-year-old Biles, a four-time Olympic gold medalist.

After a fraught performance at Tokyo prelims on Monday, Biles already seemed to be hinting at a struggle. She opened up on Instagram, saying: “I truly do feel like I have the weight of the world upon my shoulders at times.”

Simone Biles announced Tuesday that she was withdrawing from the team competition at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, citing mental health issues.

She continued, “I know I brush it off and make it seem like pressure doesn’t affect me but sometimes it’s hard, hahaha! The Olympics is no joke.”

And at a press conference after her teammates’ silver medal win Tuesday, Biles hinted at a more serious weight on her shoulders.

“Whenever you get in a high-stress situation, you kind of freak out. I have to focus on my mental health and not jeopardize my health and well-being,” she said.

“We have to protect our body and our mind … It just sucks when you’re fighting with your own head.”

But Biles clearly hid the full inner turmoil she was experiencing — a private agony that bubbled to the surfaced on Tuesday when she formally withdrew from the team competition.

“There’s more to life than just gymnastics,” Biles told reporters at a press conference alongside her teammates. “It’s very unfortunate that it happened at this stage, because I definitely wanted it to go a little bit better. [I will] take it one day at a time and we’re gonna see how the rest goes.”

Simone Biles of Team United States competes on vault during the women's team final on day four of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games on Tuesday.
Simone Biles of Team United States competes on vault during the women’s team final on day four of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games on Tuesday.

USA Gymnastics released a statement Tuesday declaring that Biles’ withdrawal following her vault rotation was due to an unspecified “medical issue” and she would “be assessed daily to determine medical clearance for future competitions.”

Biles countered that her only injury was “just a little to my pride … physically, I feel good, I’m in shape,” she told NBC’s Hoda Kotb. “Emotionally, that kind of varies on the time and the moment.”

The gymnast also said her main inspiration to “focus on my well-being” was tennis ace Naomi Osaka, who shocked fans by pulling out of this year’s French Open and skipping Wimbledon on the grounds of stress, triggered by the mandatory press conferences after each match.

Biles also follows in the footsteps of 23-time Olympian gold medalist Michael Phelps, who revealed in 2018 that he suffers from depression and crippling anxiety.

Her path to Olympic glory has been a challenging one. Here is a look back at all the times Biles has been open about her mental health struggles, including her childhood experiences, living with ADHD and the abuse she suffered at the hands of disgraced gymnastics trainer Larry Nassar.

She was in foster care as a child
Biles was traumatized during her early childhood in Spring, Texas, when her birth mother, Shannon Biles, became unable to care for her and her three siblings. The foursome went in and out of foster care, but Biles was adopted in 2003 by her loving maternal grandfather and his wife. The pair have long encouraged her passion for gymnastics. In her 2016 memoir, “Courage to Soar: A Body in Motion, A Life in Balance,” the sportswoman discussed the disruption to her formative years, writing: “my biological mom was suffering from drug and alcohol abuse and she was in an out of jail, I never had mom to run to.”

Her high school peers were bullies
As a teen whose intense training schedule led to peak fitness, she developed somewhat bulky muscles. As a result, Biles was bullied at school. In an appearance on the “Today” show four years ago, she recalled that classmates would make derogatory comments about her athletic figure.

“People would say mean things to me all the time,” she said. “They used to call me a ‘swoldier,’ which didn’t make me feel the best. I wore sweaters or jackets all year to cover my arms.”

She was treated by a sports psychologist at 16. After a poor performance at the 2013 US Classic, Biles’ confidence plummeted. She consulted Houston-based sports psychologist Robert B. Andrews, who helped her manage her nerves and use her excitement to improve her skills.

“After working with Robert, I was able to recover and get my confidence back,” she said in a joint interview with Andrews in 2014. The expert also taught her ways to “calm down” after competing. “I found that I was getting too intense,” Biles admitted. “Working with Robert also helped ease my fears and I found more confidence.”

In 2016, hackers managed to access Biles’ health records and released unauthorized, previously unknown details about her mental health. They exposed her as having ADHD, a condition for which she was prescribed medication.

Biles came out fighting, taking to Twitter to explain she was not cowed by the diagnosis. She defiantly posted: “Having ADHD, and taking medicine for it is nothing to be ashamed of, nothing that I’m afraid to let people know.”

Discussing the disorder in an NPR interview, Biles said: “At a very young age, I didn’t realize what the diagnosis was. But it was a very good outing for me to get some energy out and then come home tired, do some homework and go to bed easier.” She added that she never saw it as a disability: “Other kids have it as well. And it’s just we’re more active and hyper than them, and I never think of that as a downfall. If anything, I see it as a cool thing ’cause, like, we have more energy.”

She revealed she was abused by Larry Nassar

In 2018, Biles revealed she was one of the more than 100 female gymnasts who accused team doctor Larry Nassar of molestation.

Besides saying the abuse brought about suicidal thoughts, she released a lengthy statement on her social media platforms. It was posted the day before a sentencing hearing at which Vassar heard victim impact statements.

“Most of you know me as a happy, giggly and energetic girl. But lately … I’ve felt a bit broken and the more I try to shut off the voice in my head the louder it screams,” Biles wrote.

If 2018 wasn’t bad enough, Biles endured another family crisis. Tevin Biles Thomas, the golden girl’s older brother, was charged in the fatal shooting of three people at a New Year’s Eve party in Cleveland, Ohio. He was ultimately acquitted this spring after a judge agreed with defense lawyers that there was insufficient evidence to justify a guilty verdict.

The pandemic put her ambitions on hold. Like many athletes with their hearts set on competing in the 2020 Olympics, Biles’ dreams were dashed when the country locked down in March 2020.

In an interview with Glamour, Biles “sat idle” for seven weeks and became depressed and thought of quitting.

“I wanted to give up,” Biles told the mag. “But it would have been dumb because I’ve worked way too hard.”

https://nypost.com/article/history-of-simone-biles-mental-health-issues/amp/
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/28/21 10:21 AM
US basketball team just obliterated Iran. Some of these matchups are just completely unfair. Let’s see if we can beat Australia or France or whoever when it matters
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/28/21 12:49 PM
boo The Olympics should go away. They're Awful!
Posted By: EveDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/29/21 04:01 AM
NBC finally got the memo that they should show the medal ceremonies.
Posted By: Squires Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/31/21 12:43 AM
jc

Anyone have the paid peacock tv service? I'm wondering what Olympic content is there. Can you watch any event or is it just the same stuff NBC airs on live tv?
Originally Posted By: Squires
jc

Anyone have the paid peacock tv service? I'm wondering what Olympic content is there. Can you watch any event or is it just the same stuff NBC airs on live tv?

Wondering the same. Trying to find coverage is just ridiculous.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 07/31/21 06:07 PM
https://www.nbcolympics.com/schedule

You can watch it all online.
Posted By: Squires Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/01/21 07:27 PM
https://www.nbcolympics.com/schedule

You can watch it all online.

This requires a cable service.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/01/21 07:42 PM
Oh that sucks. In previous Olympics all the events streamed for free online. I guess they cant complain about bad ratings if they put it behind a paywall.

Posted By: Milk Man Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/03/21 03:35 AM
j/c...

What a race.

Posted By: EveDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/03/21 04:14 AM

I watched their post race interviews just now. That guy was so arrogant. The American was a better sport.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/04/21 02:23 PM
That’s an incredible 400m hurdles
Posted By: Damanshot Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/04/21 04:48 PM
Not for nothin,, but is this the most boring olympics ever? I feel that way overall... Parts are good,, but most is just boring
Posted By: EveDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/05/21 03:49 AM
I think the lack of a crowd is a factor. Just like last year when the sports had no fans....it just lacked energy.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/05/21 04:01 AM
Agreed. In addition to the lack of crowd, the time zone difference is a significant factor.

In addition, people are getting alerts on their phone as to who won events making even the Prime Time viewing somewhat irrelevant.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/05/21 04:09 AM
Yeah, that kind of irritated me. It took away the suspense.

I will say that one thing I liked is that they gave the equestrian events a lot of air time during the afternoon time slots. Most olympics they dont show much equestrian at all. So, I appreciated that.
Always annoyed at NBC doing pretaped stuff and putting it on primetime.

It's not the 1980s, people have phones and computers and things. There needs to be a better way to air the olympics.

(Granted I say this and the primetime stuff still ends up being the highest rated etc)

The lack of crowd is certainly noticeable. But I've been watching enough that there has been some amazing stuff too.

The Skateboarding has most definitely been fun. The 3x3 basketball was a blast. Seeing US basketball get stronger each game has been worth it.
I say this... and the US goes down 15 to AUS... Geeze
... and only down 3 at the half. This has been a good game. THe US is like 2 for 12 behind the arc.. if half of these went the game would have a different complexion.
Holy swing of a game up 15 at the end of the third...
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/05/21 10:52 AM
US men’s 4x1 doesn’t even get into the finals?? That’s downright embarrassing
Posted By: FATE Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/05/21 01:00 PM
NBC paid 7.75 billion for the Olympics and has basically ____ the bed.

I understand that they are trying to funnel money and eyeballs to prime time, but give the viewer the choice... Air it live AND replay it later.

Sunday morning there was a record breaking women's triple jump, a men's high jump shared gold, and the most anticipated event in the Olympics (100M mens race) going on live. What is NBC airing?? An Equestrian event!

Also, if you're going to broadcast events over thirty channels, dedicate one channel to everything going on and all the options to view it (and include live options banghead ).

Yes, to agree with others, in today's age we are bombarded with info at every turn. Trying to eliminate every source that may give you Olympic results is like trying to play the video game Asteroids -- blindfolded. It's a near impossibility. Can't count the times my wife and I blurted out "SON OF A..." as we saw the results of an event we wanted to watch. How much ambition did I have to watch it after I knew the results? Little to NONE.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/05/21 04:17 PM
Awesome
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
US men’s 4x1 doesn’t even get into the finals?? That’s downright embarrassing

[USA Today] - “It’s unacceptable. It’s so disheartening to see this because it’s people’s lives. We’re just playing games with people’s lives. That’s why I’m so upset. It’s totally avoidable. And America is sitting there rooting for the United States and then they have this clown show. I can’t take it anymore. It’s just unacceptable. It is not hard to do the relay.”
Posted By: EveDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/06/21 03:38 AM
Is it bad that Im rooting for AUS over USA in basketball?

1) Because Delly is playing for AUS.
2) Because someone from the USA team (I forget the details) said the USA team should be only black people.

Edit: I was wrong. It was an espn talking head Jalen Rose who said only blacks should play and any white guy is a token.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/06/21 03:43 AM
USA wins and plays for the Gold. Game was over awhile ago.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/06/21 03:44 AM
Man. You ruined my suspense.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/06/21 03:50 AM
<cringe face emoji>

My apologies!
Posted By: EveDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/06/21 03:54 AM
Its ok. Im gonna watch my soap opera in five minutes anyway.
Posted By: FATE Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/06/21 07:24 PM

No doubt, one of the most dominant performances in Olympic history... and she's only 14. saywhat

Posted By: Squires Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/06/21 09:33 PM
Canada is good at soccer. Who knew? tongue
Grats to the USA basketball teams getting it done... 'cept there wasn't a men's 3x3 team to cheer for.

But great revenge against France. Durant was amazing. Congrats to Pop for showing that his coaching works wherever...

Can't wait for the Women's gold medal game
Britney Griner is absolutely unguardable. Completely dominant.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/07/21 06:39 AM
j/c

I'm with Carl Lewis: the men's 4X100 was an international embarrassment. The US men's teams have been ripe, hot trash for more years than I can count, but 7th in a qualifying round?

Inexcusable.
Unforgivable.

I hope this debacle is just the thing to get someone to wake tf up. Too many egos. Too little discipline. Too many mental lapses. Parcells said "You are what your record says you are." He's right. These fools need to spend some time in front of a mirror to find the roots of their problems, and start a campaign to reverse this crap.

Uglier than a mud fence.

shaking my damned head
Maybe Lewis needs to coach.
They talked about this...The Men's relay team... they assemble about a month before the the games and just wing it.

Really they should be naming the relay team about at least 6 months out and have them work with each other with some consistency each meeting.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/08/21 12:43 PM
Originally Posted By: The Collector
They talked about this...The Men's relay team... they assemble about a month before the the games and just wing it.

Really they should be naming the relay team about at least 6 months out and have them work with each other with some consistency each meeting.

How many days does it take to learn to hand off a stick from one to another, these are Olympic runners.

Has Anyone mentioned the correction, too late now, to the Thread title of 2020, postponed until 2021 vs. 2000 in this lengthy thread yet.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/08/21 07:02 PM
100m relay is all about timing and technique. It's not something where you just 'wing it'. Timing has to be worked out.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/09/21 04:11 AM
j/c I guess it's time for favorite moments.

Here's one of mine.

Molly Seidel.
Kid from Wisconsin.
Ran her first Marathon in the 2020 trials.
Won the bronze medal!

Mic in her face, she said, "I just wanted to come out today and uh- get up in it. Stick my nose where it didn't belong, and just see what I could come away with... I guess it's a medal-"

On. The. Floor.

OMG.
USDA Prime cut.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/09/21 05:32 PM

How many days does it take to learn to hand off a stick from one to another, these are Olympic runners.

Has Anyone mentioned the correction, too late now, to the Thread title of 2020, postponed until 2021 vs. 2000 in this lengthy thread yet.
Posted By: jaybird Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/11/21 02:39 AM
100%

That race was amazing!!! Can't wait to see what she can do in the future....
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/11/21 02:59 AM
When do the Olympics start?

Did I miss them?...LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: jaybird Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/11/21 03:03 AM
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
When do the Olympics start?

Did I miss them?...LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Paralympics start on Aug 24th

smile
Congrats to Pop for showing that his coaching works wherever..

Maybe it's because I live in San Antonio, but I cannot stand Popovich. He's smug, anti-2nd Amendment, and believes his opinion is better than everyone else's. The only time I support the Spurs is when they play against Lebron.

Haven't spent a second watching the Olympics this year. Too "Woke" for me.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/11/21 11:43 AM
Considering where you live you may not have any actual grass so you can tell kids to get off of your lawn. What a shame. wink
Posted By: jaybird Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/13/21 03:12 AM
I love the olympics!!! Watched a ton of them this year... but do admit I only watched maybe 5 min of basketball... can't really get into basketball other than college....
Originally Posted By: Southwestdawg
Congrats to Pop for showing that his coaching works wherever..

Maybe it's because I live in San Antonio, but I cannot stand Popovich. He's smug, anti-2nd Amendment, and believes his opinion is better than everyone else's. The only time I support the Spurs is when they play against Lebron.

Haven't spent a second watching the Olympics this year. Too "Woke" for me.

The man's always been pro-player. and I can't help but get behind that.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/13/21 04:32 AM
Politics "wokeness" didnt seem to be much of a role in these games. Maybe less than a handful protesting. I was actually surprised.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/13/21 12:59 PM
Good insight.

I agree and must add that I was relieved and can't say I was disappointed by the absence. Enjoyed watching the "toned down" coverage, though the mix of events chosen was puzzling to us. Live coverage and running commentary of marathons, by way of example, was way too much and too long for way too little. Go USA! thumbsup
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/13/21 11:01 PM
I didn't watch any. I don't really recall watching highlights.

Who won the gold in basketball? I honestly don't know.

The man's always been pro-player. and I can't help but get behind that.

If he stuck to sports I wouldn't have an issue with him. He's on the news here frequently denigrating Conservative's and anyone who supports the right to own firearms. I watch sports to get away from politics and daily troubles that plague our world.

He is a good coach and knows how to get players that fit his style. There's a 19 year old they got in the draft playing in the summer league that looks to be a diamond in the ruff.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/17/21 07:42 PM
Quote:
If he stuck to sports I wouldn't have an issue with him. He's on the news here frequently denigrating Conservative's and anyone who supports the right to own firearms. I watch sports to get away from politics and daily troubles that plague our world.

I don't know what you do for a living, but perhaps you should stick to that. You come on here and talk about sports (which I assume isn't your full time job) you express your political opinions (I assume politics isn't your full time job) you talk about social issues....

What makes you think anybody wants to hear it if it's not your area of expertise?

Any time somebody says that athletes and entertainers should stick to their "job" of entertaining me and stop talking politics, what they are really saying is, "I disagree with them and I'm mad that they have a bigger platform than I do."
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

I don't know what you do for a living, but perhaps you should stick to that. You come on here and talk about sports (which I assume isn't your full time job) you express your political opinions (I assume politics isn't your full time job) you talk about social issues....

What makes you think anybody wants to hear it if it's not your area of expertise?

Any time somebody says that athletes and entertainers should stick to their "job" of entertaining me and stop talking politics, what they are really saying is, "I disagree with them and I'm mad that they have a bigger platform than I do."

I sorry I offended you. Wouldn't want that now would we?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/24/21 03:52 PM
He doesn't seem offended. He's just pointing out the obvious.

A stock broker, roofer or someone in the trades will get on the internet talking about politics while telling someone like LBJ they should just "Shut up and dribble". The irony is so thick you can cut it with a knife.
I'm not getting paid to entertain the fans, they are.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/24/21 05:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Southwestdawg
I'm not getting paid to entertain the fans, they are.

I don't particularly care what you get paid to do or what they get paid to do. Either expressing your opinions about politics and social issues outside of your personal area of expertise is ok or it's not. As I said before, the people who are are upset are just upset that the celebrities have a much bigger platform than they do.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/24/21 06:26 PM
So only "certain Americans" have the freedom to express their political views and you have determined that you do And they do not. And you wonder why people are questioning you about that?
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: 2000 Summer Olympics---July 23, 2021 - 08/29/21 02:47 AM
I have a favorite phrase I use when I witness something like this:

"Look what people can do!"

Thanks for sharing that.
Amazed and humbled.
© DawgTalkers.net