DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Frenchy CAVS, NBA draft - 11/18/20 09:48 PM
What are peoples thoughts? If we stay at 5, I want Obi Toppen F/C from Dayton. I think he is the most ready NBA player and can step right it and help the Cavs.

There are rumors we are talking to the Knicks about moving down to 8 and 23 for our 5 pick. Rumors are saying Cavs want more.

I think Ball goes number 1 to a surprise team that trades up to #1.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 11/18/20 09:51 PM
I think Toppin is their guy, but I dunno if he will be there.

I think the Bulls would take him, and they are right before us
Posted By: Milk Man Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 11/18/20 10:06 PM
I think the Bulls take Deni Avdija.

Cavs end up taking Toppin in that scenario and I'd be just fine with that. Hopefully, Toppin can learn to play some defense.
Posted By: Jester Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 11/18/20 10:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
I think the Bulls take Deni Avdija.

Agreed
Posted By: Jester Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 11/18/20 10:57 PM
My top four players are:

James Wiseman - Memphis - no way he drops to us

Followed by:

Isaac Okoro - Auburn
Onyeka Okongwu - USC
Patrick Williams -FSU

I go back and force between the 3.
I love the toughness and grit that Okoro brings
Okongwu is a great shot blocker
I think Williams is one of the few players in this draft that could become a superstar
Posted By: Jester Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 11/18/20 11:02 PM
Here is a link to the wine and gold report from monday. It was a really good listen about the draft from a cavs perspective. One thing they mentioned is that there has definitely been an offer from the CEltices for the #5 pick. They are offering 2 1st round picks - #14 and #26 but the cavs don't want to move down that far. The celtics also have the #30 pick.

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2020/11/2...lk-podcast.html
Posted By: Jester Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 11/18/20 11:04 PM

Cavs end up taking Toppin in that scenario and I'd be just fine with that. Hopefully, Toppin can learn to play some defense.

I would not be a fan of that pick. We have plenty of offensive players who are quite offensive on the defensive side of the floor.
Posted By: Jester Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 11/18/20 11:23 PM
Onyeka Okongwu may have a foot injury that could cause him to miss start of season: 2020 NBA draft rumors
Updated 3:58 PM; Today 10:59 AM
Onyeka Okongwu, Ira Lee
USC center Onyeka Okongwu, left, has a foot injury that could keep him out for the start of the season according to multiple reports.AP

Facebook Share
Twitter Share
By Tim Bielik, cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio — USC center Onyeka Okongwu is expected to be taken very early in Wednesday’s NBA draft.

However, there is a chance that the team that drafts him might not get to see him for some time. According to multiple reports including Rick Bonnell of the Charlotte Observer, Okongwu has a foot injury that could cause him to miss training camp, and even the start of the season.

This NBA offseason is, of course, unusual in that the season will start on Dec. 22. So the turnaround time from the draft to the start of the season is far shorter than usual.

In his lone season at USC, Okongwu averaged 16.2 points, 8.6 rebounds, 2.7 blocks and 1.2 steals while shooting 61.6 percent from the field.

Bulls, Warriors talking top-four swap?

This year’s draft is full of unpredictability, especially at the top. There’s no consensus at No. 1, and the Warriors, who hold the No. 2 pick, could be looking for immediate help since they should be healthy enough to get back into championship contention.

According to Kevin O’Connor of The Ringer, the Warriors have discussed swapping picks with the Bulls, who have the No. 4 pick. He added that center Wendell Carter Jr. would be going to Golden State in the deal.

Chris Fedor of cleveland.com has said that the Bulls have been the hardest team on which to get any sort of read.

Timberwolves acting like they want a trade

The unpredictability of this year’s draft starts right at the top with the Timberwolves, who have the No. 1 pick. It’s still unclear whether they will even make the pick for themselves.

Jonathan Wasserman of Bleacher Report reported on Wednesday morning that the Timberwolves appear like they want out of the No. 1 pick.

ESPN did a video story about how Minnesota is operating with the No. 1 pick during this year’s unique NBA draft.

Knicks move up four spots in late first round

One team that looks like they want to make a move up in the draft is the Knicks, who hold the No. 8 pick. As part of their hopes to move up, they reportedly made a minor move in the back end of the first round.

According to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski, the Knicks acquired the No. 23 pick from the Jazz, sending them the No. 27 and No. 38 picks to do so.

Chris Fedor added that the Knicks among other teams have called the Cavs about moving up to No. 5.

Celtics trying to get into top three

The Celtics' quick return to contender status was bolstered by Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum, who were each taken with the No. 3 pick in their respective drafts. They might be trying to get back into the top three in this year’s draft. Marc Stein of the New York Times reported that they are looking to find a way to get one of those first three picks.

The Celtics have three first-round picks, including the No. 14 pick. But this is also the last year that they have multiple first-round picks. So this could be Danny Ainge’s last chance to cash in on his prime stash of assets before they dry up after the draft.

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2020/11/o...aft-rumors.html
Posted By: Jester Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 11/18/20 11:24 PM
Scribbling about an intriguing Cavaliers rumor with New York Knicks as draft looms – Terry Pluto
Updated 4:06 PM; Today 10:45 AM
Devin Vassell
Florida State guard Devin Vassell (24) dribbles against Duke last February. AP

Facebook Share
Twitter Share
shares
By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer
CLEVELAND, Ohio – There will be an avalanche of rumors between now and tonight’s NBA draft. The Cavs are one of the teams supposedly working hard to make a deal:

1. It was early this morning when I heard about the Cavs and Knicks talking trade. I checked with cleveland.com’s excellent basketball writer Chris Fedor. He also heard of those talks. That gave even more merit to the possibility of a deal.

2. Anyway, what I heard was the Cavs sending their No. 5 pick to New York for a bunch of assets, starting with the No. 8 pick. The Knicks supposedly want to move up to take Dayton’s Obi Toppin. The No. 5 pick would probably make that happen for New York.

3. I heard the Cavs like the 6-foot-9 Toppin, but he’s a power forward. They already have Larry Nance Jr. and Kevin Love as their power forwards. I’ve heard the trade market for Love has been disappointing, at least in terms of what would appeal to the Cavs.

4. If I’m the Cavs, would I be interested in the Knicks trading their No. 5 and No. 23 picks in this draft plus maybe a future first-rounder? The answer is yes. The Knicks also would add some younger players, maybe Kevin Knox.

5. At one time, the Cavs liked the 6-foot-7 Knox, who was the No. 9 pick in the 2018 draft. The Cavs took Collin Sexton right in front of him at No. 8. It was a wise choice. Knox has struggled in his two seasons with New York, averaging 9.9 points and shooting .367 from the field (.337 on 3-pointers).

6. The NBA loves complicated trades. The Knicks are desperately looking for a point guard, which is why I think a third team could be involved.

7. Now consider Brock Aller. He worked for Dan Gilbert and the Cavaliers for 15 years. His last position position was “senior director of basketball operations.” Aller helped current Cavs GM Koby Altman construct some of their more creative trades.

8. Aller is now with the Knicks as “Vice President of Basketball & Strategic Planning.” He is the top assistant to new Knicks GM Leon Rose, a former agent. The Aller/Cavs connection along with the Knicks having a pair of first-rounders and other assets made me take the words I heard from a respected NBA source very seriously.

9. If the Cavs drop to No. 8, they could look at someone such as Iowa State guard Tyrese Haliburton or Florida State forward Devin Vassell. The 6-foot-6 Vassell is a good defender, a 13-point scorer and a 42-percent 3-point shooter. He the kind of player the Cavs need. He’s 20 and has played two years for Leonard Hamilton, a very demanding coach.

10. I like Haliburton, a 6-foot-5 guard from Iowa State who shot 42 percent on 3-pointers. He has a funky outside shot, but it goes in. A concern is him being only 175 pounds. Like Vassell, he’s played two years of college which is attractive and gives him a little more maturity. I also heard Florida State power forward Patrick Williams mentioned in connection to the Cavs. But that’s another power forward, so not sure what to make of that piece of information.

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2020/11/s...erry-pluto.html
Posted By: Jester Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 11/18/20 11:25 PM
Cleveland Cavaliers receiving calls about No. 5 pick, with New York Knicks interested in moving up, sources say
Updated 4:14 PM; Today 10:26 AM
Koby Altman
Cleveland Cavaliers general manager Koby Altman has plenty of options with the No. 5 pick.NBAE via Getty Images

Facebook Share
Twitter Share
shares
By Chris Fedor, cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- In a year of uncertainty, there’s nothing that could happen in Wednesday’s NBA Draft that would be a surprise. Not the Minnesota Timberwolves trading out of the top spot. Not one of the expected top 10 prospects sliding. Not some team from outside the top 10 flying up the draft board.

Nothing.

When asked what to expect, a source said, “Madness. And lot of movement.” That incudes the Cleveland Cavaliers, who hold the No. 5 pick.

Despite a weaker-than-usual draft class and lingering questions about many of the top prospects, there’s plenty of interest in the fifth spot. Sources tell cleveland.com the Cavs have had trade talks with the New York Knicks, Boston Celtics and Detroit Pistons.

The Knicks are in the eighth slot. They’ve reportedly made a move with the Utah Jazz already. In that deal, first reported by ESPN, the Knicks dealt No. 27 and No. 38 to move up four spots into Utah’s old position at 23rd overall. It’s small move, but one that strengthens their chances of moving up from No. 8.

New York, with a revamped front office that includes former Cavaliers salary cap guru Brock Aller, has a few pieces that could be enticing. Sources say the initial discussions have centered on 8 and 23 for Cleveland’s fifth pick. But would the Knicks also include a young player (Kevin Knox? Mitchell Robinson?) for a chance to move up a few spots -- and draft Brooklyn native Obi Toppin? Sources pointed to Toppin as New York’s trade-up target. Others in the five range -- Tyrese Haliburton or Isaac Okoro -- make sense as well.

Aller is the Knicks Vice President of Basketball and Strategic Planning. He is the top assistant to Knicks President Leon Rose, who had previously been an high-powered agent at CAA -- the same agency that currently represents Toppin.

So, why would the Cavs, linked for weeks to the Dayton high-flyer, make this move?

As of Monday, when the Cavs gathered to finalize their big board, they seemed undecided about who to choose at No. 5. Late Tuesday night, one source said there were three or four guys the Cavs were deliberating between. A few of those options, of course, are considered more likely than others.

Nonetheless, there doesn’t seem to be a consensus. Part of that is tied to the Chicago Bulls, who are one slot ahead of the Cavs and have the rest of the league, including Cleveland, guessing right now. The Bulls have a new front office and fresh coaching staff, and it’s unclear how they feel about any of the Chicago holdovers. How much will positional fit go into the decision-making process when the new guys have no ties to the old? Along with that, the Bulls seem interested in moving up or down -- depending on the offers and how the first few picks play out.

The other part of it from the Cavs’ perspective is the cluster of prospects in Tier 2. Most teams, including the Cavs, have Anthony Edwards, James Wiseman and LaMelo Ball -- in some order -- at the top of the board. That trio makes up Tier 1. Then the ranking gets tricky -- and jumbled.

Okoro, the Auburn defensive menace, has fans in the front office. The Cavs went to Auburn for an in-person workout a few weeks back. After his on-court session, the team took him out for a meal. When that meeting ended, Okoro went back to the gym for a second workout, showing a work ethic and competitive drive like Collin Sexton. Okoro would be a terrific culture piece.

Then there’s intriguing Florida State forward Patrick Williams, who some believe could end up as the best player in this draft a few years from now.

USC big man Onyeka Okongwu has support. He could make a significant impact on the league’s worst defensive team. Multiple sources say Okongwu has a foot injury that could cost him training camp and possibly some of the regular season, but teams don’t expect it to significantly alter his draft stock. Okongwu’s floor looks to be the Washington Wizards at No. 9.

Haliburton, a supersized guard, is considered one of the safest players and has a few fans inside Cleveland Clinic Courts -- even though the Cavs selecting another backcourt piece would be unlikely given how many they’ve added over the last two seasons. Then again, promising youngster Kevin Porter Jr.'s incident over the weekend is a red flag.

Toppin is the most complete offensive player in the class -- a pick-and-pop threat who set a program record for dunks last season and could help immediately in their push for a playoff spot. It will be up to head coach J.B. Bickerstaff to mask his defensive flaws. With Kevin Love’s name constantly popping in rumors, Toppin would be viewed as the long-term replacement.

Israeli swingman Deni Avdija is believed to sit near -- or at the top -- of Tier 2. The playmaking forward would be considered the best match of talent and fit.

In a swap with the Knicks, the Cavs could drop a few spots, pick up some assets and allow other teams to declutter their options, taking the best player remaining from Tier 2, where there seems to be little separation.

The Celtics, with a tight salary cap situation and roster crunch, are eager to use their three first-round picks (14, 26 and 30) to move up. How far can they climb? What else would they have to include? Would it be for Okongwu or Okoro? Dropping down to 14 wouldn’t be ideal for the Cavs, who see a dip in talent in the 10-11 range. The Cavs did, however, have an in-person workout with RJ Hampton, who is projected anywhere between 12 and 20.

Would the two teams get wild and create a monster deal that includes Andre Drummond and Gordon Hayward in a bloated-contract swap along with the fifth pick?

The Pistons have been tied to Williams. There was some speculation about a promise there. But Williams is starting to get looks at No. 4. If the Williams-to-Chicago buzz turns out to be just smoke, then Detroit moving up a few spots to snag the “fastest riser” -- or even jumping Atlanta at No. 6 for Haliburton -- would be something to watch. What’s the price to move up just two spots? Is Luke Kennard too much from Detroit’s perspective? Could a future pick be a possibility?

Madness indeed.

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2020/11/c...ources-say.html
Posted By: Milk Man Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 11/18/20 11:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Jester

I would not be a fan of that pick. We have plenty of offensive players who are quite offensive on the defensive side of the floor.

He'd fit right in! tongue
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 11/19/20 01:36 AM
Cavaliers reportedly did have a ton of interest in Okoro, so it's not really surprising to see him go here. Tough defender, so that will help.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 11/19/20 01:37 AM
Cavs recognized they needed defense......bad.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 11/19/20 01:53 AM
It's funny .... but I think that the Knicks got their guy even though they wound up standing still.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 11/19/20 02:49 AM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 11/19/20 02:54 AM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 11/19/20 03:02 AM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 11/19/20 12:24 PM

Fear the Sword has independently confirmed the news. Stevens was ESPN’s 24th-best undrafted prospect. He’s a 23-year-old, 230-pound 6’8” wing/forward who played four productive seasons for the Nittany Lions, averaging double figures in each season.

The concern is his three-point shooting — he shot just 26.3% on three-pointers last season and 22% the year before. Per KenPom, he was in the top-50 in the nation last season in percentage of possessions last year, so it’s not for a lack of trying. He also turns the ball over at a high clip — he was 495th in turnover percentage last year, per KenPom — and that’ll have to change. His steal percentage (2%) and block percentage (3.8%) do indicate some defensive potential.

Still, Stevens is a fun two-way bet. It’ll be interesting to see if there’s even a G League season, but he’s got the size and ability to score where he could be developed into something.

https://www.fearthesword.com/2020/11/19/21574886/cleveland-cavaliers-lamar-stevens-two-way-contract

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 11/19/20 01:15 PM
Well, at least the defense has improved
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 11/19/20 02:17 PM
I wanted Dani, but then again, I'm not an NBA GM or talent scout. If Okoro can play D like they say and work on his shot, then maybe we're a better than we were yesterday, which is the goal.

Drummond picked up his option, which I think we expected, but there was talk he might have been traded as an expiring contract. However, that's a big number for a big. Looks like this is our starting lineup:

CSexton
DGarland
IOkoro
Klove
ADrummond

I think that means TT is gone, which was also expected. I thought the FO might want to keep TT so he can retire as a Cav, but we'd probably trade him long before that happens. I suppose, it would be a good idea to sign him and then trade him at the deadline, as a way to stockpile picks, but that depends on TT taking a moveable contract number.

Excited to have basketball start back up. I might get League Pass this year.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 11/19/20 06:02 PM
What's a "two-way" deal?

I'm guessing he meant "two-year".
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 11/19/20 06:08 PM
Beginning in the 2017 offseason, NBA rosters expanded from 15 to 17 players with the addition of two spots for players under “Two-Way Contracts.”

NBA teams may have up to two players under NBA Two-Way Contracts who will spend the bulk of the season in the NBA G League and not more than 45 days with their NBA team. Two-Way players are paid a corresponding daily amount based on the number of days they play in each league. Only players in their fourth NBA season or earlier are able to sign Two-Way Contracts, which can be for either one or two seasons.

https://gleague.nba.com/nba-g-league-101-two-way-contracts/
Posted By: FATE Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 11/19/20 06:15 PM
Beginning in the 2017 offseason, NBA rosters expanded from 15 to 17 players with the addition of two spots for players under “Two-Way Contracts.”

NBA teams may have up to two players under NBA Two-Way Contracts who will spend the bulk of the season in the NBA G League and not more than 45 days with their NBA team. Two-Way players are paid a corresponding daily amount based on the number of days they play in each league. Only players in their fourth NBA season or earlier are able to sign Two-Way Contracts, which can be for either one or two seasons.

https://gleague.nba.com/nba-g-league-101-two-way-contracts/

Basically, the player is then tied directly to the team and can't be pilfered by other teams, as can other players in the G-League. Player is paid $75,000 (as opposed to the "one-way" contract that pays G-League players $26,000). Player is paid the league minimum ($816,000 prorated by days of service) for time they spend at the NBA level. In total, a two-way player who spends the maximum amount of time in the NBA would make $279,000.
Posted By: FATE Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 11/19/20 06:16 PM
Beat me to it lol.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 11/22/20 02:20 AM

Cavaliers center Tristan Thompson is headed to Boston on a two-year, $19 million contract, a league source confirmed Saturday night.

Thompson, 29, the Cavs' fourth overall pick in 2011, played out the final season of his contract that paid him $18.5 million in 2019-20. With guard Matthew Dellavedova also a free agent, Thompson's departure leaves Kevin Love as the only Cavalier under contract from the 2016 NBA championship team.

During the league's free agency period, contracts can become official on Sunday.

Thompson set the franchise record by playing in 477 consecutive games. He also ranks in the Cavs' top 10 in several categories, including offensive rebounds (2,115, second), defensive rebounds (3,278, fourth), total rebounds (5,393, third), blocked shots (447, sixth), games (619, seventh), field goal percentage (.518, seventh) and rebounds per game (8.7, 10th).

In his Cavs' career, Thompson averaged 9.4 points, 8.7 rebounds and 1.0 assists.

Asked about his memories in Cleveland during a May 14 Zoom call, Thompson said, “Memories have been great. Getting drafted in 2011, winning a championship, then being in the lottery, been at the bottom and top. I think it’s a great experience for my career, especially with one team and going through all those different storylines, it’s been a blessing.

"Being in my ninth season, never thought in a million years I would have the success I’ve had, so for me it’s just taking it one day at a time and enjoying every bit of it. Meeting so many great people, being part of a franchise and city that’s been through so many tough times and being able to break the 52-year drought — that was the most important thing I think in my time here. I wouldn’t change it for the world.”
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 11/23/20 04:56 AM
I am thrilled that Thompson is gone.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 11/23/20 12:41 PM
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

Not sure why you are thrilled. He was a solid player, but things change. We have other options outside.

My hope is we get Drummond for a few more years. I know some thinking gets away from a true center in todays NBA, but I still think a solid rim protector who can get you 17 points a game and 17 boards a game is a big plus.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 11/23/20 02:02 PM
I actually would have preferred to keep thompson, he's been decent, just not worth his contract. Always been my contention with him, not sure what I think of the McGee trade, dude always does a few dumb things each game, I would have liked to get an extended look at Zizic and see if he could develop more. He's had flashes. Getting the second was good. I know our defense was bad last year and they tried to fix with the two rookies, but offense at the 3 is still an issue. Going to be a weird offseason this year being that we should already be playing games and we still aren't for another month. NBA will learn like MLB, don't try to compete for NFL viewership, it won't work
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 11/23/20 02:48 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-f...ers-per-report/

Marc Gasol will sign with the Los Angeles Lakers, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski and Zach Lowe. The deal will last two seasons, and to facilitate Gasol's presence, the Lakers will trade JaVale McGee to the Cleveland Cavaliers, according to Wojnarowski. The Lakers will receive Jordan Bell and Alfonzo McKinnie in that deal, but both have waivable non-guaranteed deals.

Gasol will presumably slot into McGee's role as the starting center in Los Angeles. He should provide a meaningful upgrade in that role considering how well his skill set fits alongside LeBron James and Anthony Davis. Spacing was a serious problem in the starting five last season largely because of McGee. Gasol shot 38.5 percent from behind the arc last season. He is a stellar defender, and while he's slipped a bit with age, that has largely related to mobility. Davis can cover him on that front. Gasol's passing will mesh very well with James, who loves players with high basketball IQs.

Gasol was drafted by the Lakers in 2007. He never played a game in purple and gold, though, because he was dealt Memphis in exchange for his brother, Pau Gasol, to the Lakers. The Lakers could technically bring Pau back this season on a minimum deal, an idea he has expressed interest in. Pau won two championships in Los Angeles. Marc, on a two-year deal, will hope to replicate that feat.

The Raptors, meanwhile, have lost both of their top big men from last season to Los Angeles. Serge Ibaka is signing with the Clippers. Gasol is now a Laker. Toronto has stopped some of the bleeding by signing Aron Baynes, the best remaining big man on the market, to a two-year deal, but their status as the No. 2 seed in the Eastern Conference is in serious jeopardy.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 11/23/20 11:46 PM
Cavs just signed Delly to a 1 year deal. IMO good backup to Sexton and Garland.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 11/24/20 02:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Frenchy
Cavs just signed Delly to a 1 year deal. IMO good backup to Sexton and Garland.

With Thompson gone, that puts us now with only two guys from the 2016 title winning team. There's a small probability Kevin is trade this season, if not, he'll be traded next season for sure.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 11/24/20 03:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

Not sure why you are thrilled. He was a solid player, but things change. We have other options outside.

My hope is we get Drummond for a few more years. I know some thinking gets away from a true center in todays NBA, but I still think a solid rim protector who can get you 17 points a game and 17 boards a game is a big plus.

he was average at best and took up a huge chunk of cap
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/13/20 02:34 AM

Cavs rookie Isaac Okoro was 6-9 with 18 points in his preseason debut

Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/13/20 02:40 AM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/24/20 02:25 AM
The #Cavs are 1-0.

Final:

Cleveland 121
Charlotte 114
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/24/20 02:37 AM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/24/20 10:22 AM
Hey we are 1-0!
Posted By: Frenchy Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/27/20 02:41 AM
Cavs / Pistons game has been real good. Drummond looks really good. Hope they re-sign him and not trade him. Right now 112-110 Pistons, 55 seconds to go in OT.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/27/20 02:49 AM
Headed to double OT. Fun game!
Posted By: Frenchy Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/27/20 02:51 AM
Drummond 23 points, 14 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 blocks, 4 steals so far
Posted By: Milk Man Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/27/20 03:04 AM
Cavs have been a fun team to watch through two games. Playing as a team.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/27/20 03:19 AM
Starting off 2-0 is nice, no matter who we've played.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/27/20 10:25 AM
Cavs / Pistons game has been real good. Drummond looks really good. Hope they re-sign him and not trade him. Right now 112-110 Pistons, 55 seconds to go in OT.

I agree. I have never understood the desire to trade away a big who is pretty much going to give you 15 points and 10 boards as a starting point every night.

Not to mention he is imposing in the paint.
Posted By: Swish Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/27/20 03:46 PM
I know it’s typically not like that anymore, but can we please have one of our starters from the championship team retire as a Cav? I really hope K love retires in this jersey. I’m sick of the trade rumors every year.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/28/20 01:30 AM

I agree. I have never understood the desire to trade away a big who is pretty much going to give you 15 points and 10 boards as a starting point every night.

Not to mention he is imposing in the paint.

Posted By: Frenchy Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/28/20 01:59 AM
Cavs playing good again tonight. Up 14 on the 76ers at the half.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/28/20 02:13 AM
Up 22 now. They're rolling.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/28/20 02:27 AM
End of the 3rd, Cavs up 21.
Posted By: Swish Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/28/20 02:38 AM
I know it’s early in the season, but we might have a squad this year!
Posted By: leadtheway Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/28/20 02:45 AM
JB has them playing great unselfish ball. I can totally see us moving Love for some more depth. He’s always hurt. We are good inside and out this year, still missing that wing player but man McGee Drummond and nance have been really good
Posted By: Frenchy Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/28/20 02:47 AM
Drummond had another strong game, played 26 minutes, 24 points, 14 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks, 3 steals. He is the team leader, opening night the announcers talked alot about how he wants that role, and has really embraced it.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/28/20 02:47 AM
I def miss Fred calling games. New guy sucks
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/28/20 02:51 AM
Originally Posted By: Swish
I know it’s early in the season, but we might have a squad this year!

So if both seasons ended today, the Browns are in the playoffs and the Cavs are tied for the #1 seed. tongue
Posted By: Milk Man Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/28/20 03:26 AM
Cavs are fun to watch if nothing else. Playing unselfish basketball, moving the ball around and playing defense.

Hopefully, Okoro is back soon and continues gaining experience.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/28/20 05:46 AM
3-0 to start the season. Whoda thunk it? wink
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/28/20 11:07 AM
Cavs play hungry and improved. Fun team so far
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/28/20 11:51 AM
JC

The thing with basketball is with 5 starters, it doesn't take all that much to improve in a big way from one season to the next.

Our backcourt is learning to dish the ball and our frontcourt is hitting the boards hard.

With 'wing" men and whatever else you want to call various positions, the game is still the same. Score points, play defense, and own the boards.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/28/20 02:00 PM
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/28/20 05:02 PM
My goodness! shocked

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-p...ead-first-week/

#6 Cavaliers:

So who else penciled in the Cavs for a 3-0 start and the league's second-best defensive rating? It might not last, but there's reason to be excited in Cleveland again, with Collin Sexton and Darius Garland looking extremely promising as the backcourt of the future. The wins over the Hornets and Pistons could be chalked up to poor competition, but Cleveland put an absolute whooping on the 76ers on Sunday to remain undefeated. We'll see how the Cavs fare when they play some more potent offenses, but they've been fun to watch so far.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/28/20 07:36 PM
Quite a difference with team play and LOTS of hustle. Made some earlier versions look like sleds. Love is hurt again? Early, even for him.

Cavs look like they have more than we are seeing, and it shows upside promise. Have seen parts of several games. This club is fun to watch, and Nance seems really ready to get after it.

Go, Cavs! thumbsup
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/29/20 02:27 AM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/29/20 06:07 PM
j/c...

Increased attendance for Cavs games approved. Up from 300 fans...

Posted By: leadtheway Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/30/20 01:57 AM
Tonight is a game probably closer to what we will see. We still need a 3 and 4. Love really needs moved. He’s done nothing but collect checks for better part of 3 seasons. We are good at front and backcourt with depth, our wings are still not nba quality. Going to be an interesting first few months. I like JB, I think the team is behind him which is 85% of the battle
Posted By: Swish Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/30/20 02:18 AM
Big problem is cedi had a crap night, but unfortunately he wasn’t all that good to begin with.

I really don’t want to trade love but damn man he’s always missing games.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/30/20 02:23 AM
Big problem is cedi had a crap night, but unfortunately he wasn’t all that good to begin with.

I really don’t want to trade love but damn man he’s always missing games.

Cedi is a dumpster fire. I really can only stand him for short bursts lol. Love and windler are glass, we have to solidify the wings, rest of our pieces are young and solid
Posted By: Milk Man Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/30/20 02:24 AM
I'd trade Love in a heartbeat if someone is foolish enough to pick-up his contract for this year and the next two.

I still think this will be a fun team to watch develop over the course of the year.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/30/20 02:24 AM
Love is out for 3 weeks right now
Posted By: Milk Man Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/30/20 02:27 AM
Which means 5 weeks and a bunch of Banana Republic photo shoots in that time!
Posted By: Swish Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/30/20 02:30 AM
At this point glass is a compliment. Love just...ugh.
Posted By: Swish Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/30/20 02:31 AM
I guess I would too.

But I doubt anybody would, so we’re probably stuck with him the next 2 years minimum.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 12/30/20 04:30 AM
Okoro was out as well.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 01/21/21 02:56 AM

Posted By: Frenchy Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 01/21/21 02:59 AM
What a ballgame!!! Go Cavs
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 01/21/21 03:07 AM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 01/21/21 03:11 AM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 01/21/21 03:14 AM
Today is the day Collin Sexton became President.

https://twitter.com/ejmaroun/status/1352085650183512065
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 01/21/21 03:19 AM
Posted By: Swish Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 01/21/21 12:12 PM
Sexton is balling out of control right now. What a great night for the cavs!!
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 01/21/21 12:43 PM
No doubt. It's a pretty good 1-2 punch with Sexton and Garland.

As a PG I would like to see him increase his assists, and he will as he gains more experience, but no doubt he can fill the hoop.

Assists out of the position might not matter as much with the Cavs going with true post players. More assists should come out of the post.

Cavs are looking like a basketball team. JB has them playing sound, fundamental basketball. Five guys playing as a team are going to win basketball games. That is proven over decades.

JB is doing a great job.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 01/21/21 04:41 PM
Cavs will be even more fun to watch when they finally get healthy. Sexton played like he had not missed a beat. Great team win.

Need to get Garland back. Also, Love whenever he decides he's ready to play again and I'd like to see a healthy Windler get some playing time just to see what kind of 3pt threat he can be.

Maybe Dellavedova will eventually clear his 1.5 month long concussion protocol.

JB has this team buying in and its been fun to watch.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 01/23/21 02:21 AM
Cavs playing good again tonight. Prince and Allen have been great additions. Going 10 deep tonight without Love, Delly, and McGee not playing. Would love to get anything for Love, this team doesnt need him anymore. I feel he would just slow our game play down.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 01/23/21 02:53 AM
And you can book this one for the Cavs. laugh

Another nice win for the Cavaliers!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 01/23/21 02:56 AM
Cavs with another convincing win over the Nets.

Out rebounded the Nets 50 to 29.

Go Cavs!
Posted By: Swish Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 01/23/21 03:25 AM
wonder what the excuse is gonna be from the talking heads. sure its gonna but what the Nets didn't do as oppose to the reality that the Cavs have a rising roster.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 01/23/21 06:34 AM
wonder what the excuse is gonna be from the talking heads. sure its gonna but what the Nets didn't do as oppose to the reality that the Cavs have a rising roster.

All the talking heads tonight have basically given the cavs NO credit. Most of them have the Nets in the Eastern Conference finals. I know its two games, but beating them twice in a row, you would think we might get a little respect.

Love the future for the Cavs!
Posted By: leadtheway Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 01/23/21 04:45 PM
One thing this has made clear is we need Drummond alot more than we need Love. Love needs to go so we can replace Cedi. But man I have to give Altman credit for jumping in on the harden trade. Prince and Allen are great young pieces. Our second and first unit are really close and thats going to get you some wins. Sexton has turned into a great player. He's an offensive dynamo and man can he cover ground with the ball. Its fun to watch a young team when things start to click instead of over paid veterans going through the motion. Put lebron on this team and its better than what he has in LA..just saying
Posted By: FATE Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 01/23/21 11:27 PM

Thought these were funny...

Posted By: Ballpeen Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 01/24/21 11:21 AM
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
One thing this has made clear is we need Drummond alot more than we need Love. Love needs to go so we can replace Cedi. But man I have to give Altman credit for jumping in on the harden trade. Prince and Allen are great young pieces. Our second and first unit are really close and thats going to get you some wins. Sexton has turned into a great player. He's an offensive dynamo and man can he cover ground with the ball. Its fun to watch a young team when things start to click instead of over paid veterans going through the motion. Put lebron on this team and its better than what he has in LA..just saying

I can pick up Cavs games on the radio. WTAM's signal pumps down here after the sun goes down, so I usually listen as I head to bed for the night. I rarely get to watch the team play, so all I can do is listen and read some box scores in the morning.

I might agree about Drummond and Love, but I don't want to get rid of either. I am not sure how getting rid of Love is the way to replace Cedi? I get that you might trade Love for a player or a pick that could replace Cedi, but that weakens the team.

My point is I don't think Cedi is so good we would have to trade Love to get that done.

I understand we might have to do that is we are looking to impact this year, but I don't think this year is the year to go all in.

I like Drummond, I always have. I am old school. I like a center who dominates the boards. To me, 15 boards is maybe 5-6 over what might be expected for the position. I see that as reducing the other teams score by maybe 10 or more points a game. Love does pretty much the same thing.

I suppose that in the end, both Drummond and Love will be traded. I don't think either player sees Cleveland as their final stop.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 01/24/21 03:18 PM
They are overachieving and it is great to watch the energy level on the court as they succeed.

I am not eager to trade if we can drive values up. Right now, like with the Nets wins, especially the overtime monster game, I want them all to stay put. Plenty of time for bad trades later. Play 'em now. Agree parting with part-timer Love is overdue, so sooner rather than later. I do love watching the Nance, Jr. show! Enjoyed his dad, too.

Cavs, y'all! brownie thumbsup
Posted By: leadtheway Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 01/24/21 07:49 PM
Originally Posted By: leadtheway

I can pick up Cavs games on the radio. WTAM's signal pumps down here after the sun goes down, so I usually listen as I head to bed for the night. I rarely get to watch the team play, so all I can do is listen and read some box scores in the morning.

I might agree about Drummond and Love, but I don't want to get rid of either. I am not sure how getting rid of Love is the way to replace Cedi? I get that you might trade Love for a player or a pick that could replace Cedi, but that weakens the team.

My point is I don't think Cedi is so good we would have to trade Love to get that done.

I understand we might have to do that is we are looking to impact this year, but I don't think this year is the year to go all in.

I like Drummond, I always have. I am old school. I like a center who dominates the boards. To me, 15 boards is maybe 5-6 over what might be expected for the position. I see that as reducing the other teams score by maybe 10 or more points a game. Love does pretty much the same thing.

I suppose that in the end, both Drummond and Love will be traded. I don't think either player sees Cleveland as their final stop.
You have to trade love because of his contract to get anyone in here thats going to be worthwhile. I mention Love because he's worthless to this team and besides not playing doesn't really fit. So between love and drummond i keep drummond. I think Allen as seen as a replacement from Drummond if a deal comes along. I put the chances of Love and Drummond being here at deadline less than 20%. I'm ok with that if we get quality. But I really like what AD does
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 01/25/21 12:50 PM
I can agree with the deadline and 20%.
Posted By: Swish Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 01/25/21 03:21 PM
the team being so up and down is a sign of how young and inexperienced we are. hopefully midway through the season we can show some growth.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 01/25/21 07:22 PM
the team being so up and down is a sign of how young and inexperienced we are. hopefully midway through the season we can show some growth.

That should happen unless a player or two allow their ego to get in the way.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 01/26/21 03:02 AM
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 01/26/21 03:29 AM
They are playing them tough, but it just looks like too much Lakers down the stretch.
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 01/26/21 06:13 AM
LeBron went off tonight. 46 points.

He was hitting some ridiculous shots in the 4th. Reminded me of the series vs. Toronto.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 01/26/21 10:48 AM
Lebron was unbelievable
Posted By: Swish Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 01/26/21 01:22 PM
lebron....dude is so good. but im glad we put up a solid fight.

to get a little bit Laker focused...what the hell is up with AD? man if he didn't team up with lebron he'd be just another overhyped superstar. its like he has no dog in him.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: CAVS, NBA draft - 01/26/21 03:59 PM
Originally Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife
LeBron went off tonight. 46 points.

He was hitting some ridiculous shots in the 4th. Reminded me of the series vs. Toronto.

Funny you mention that and not sure if anyone else noticed.. Remember in the Toronto game someone was heckling lebron and lebron went off and then looked over at them and said " you did this" Im almost positive at the end of the 3rd quarter someone was heckling lebron and he looked over and then mouth "oh..ok "and shook his head like you wanna play do you? So whoever that was should be barred from games with lebron
© DawgTalkers.net