DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: bonefish Henry Aaron - 01/22/21 04:17 PM
Sadness today one of my first baseball heroes passes.

Although born in Cleveland we moved away to Harrisburg Pa. when I was three and moved back to Cleveland at 12.

As a boy in Harrisburg I fell in love with baseball. It was mostly all I thought about. I played the game all the time. Organized and pick-up. Collected cards. I loved the Milwaukee Braves logo. I collected all Braves and Indians cards. TV games were rare. But on Saturday's they use to show Home Run Derby. That is when Hank became my guy.

All the sluggers of that time were on. Players from the 50's. Hank ruled Home Run Derby. You could put a bucket over the LF wall and I think every one of his homers would land in that bucket. He amazed me.

I would look at his baseball card and read the stats. Again amazing consistency.

As a grown adult I moved to Atlanta. Hank was of course royalty in Atlanta. I have a signed ball from a conference he was at.

His story is one of a true legend.

RIP Henry Aaron you were something to see.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Henry Aaron - 01/22/21 04:36 PM
RIP Hank. He was an awesome player who broke a lot of barriers. I remember the death threats he got when he was closing in on Babe Ruth's record. It was awful, but it opened a lot of eyes.
Posted By: Dave Re: Henry Aaron - 01/22/21 04:45 PM
RIP, Hammer. Mickey, Willie, and Henry were my favorite non-Indians as a kid.

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Henry Aaron - 01/22/21 04:58 PM
RIP to a goat ... what a guy
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Henry Aaron - 01/22/21 05:16 PM
RIP Hammerin Hank. The memories will never be forgotten.
Posted By: Dave Re: Henry Aaron - 01/22/21 05:17 PM
Maybe it was urban legend, but I always heard Henry Aaron was a huge Browns fan, and that he attended games at Municipal Stadium wearing sunglasses and a hat so he wouldn't be recognized.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Henry Aaron - 01/22/21 05:27 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Henry Aaron - 01/22/21 05:29 PM
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Henry Aaron - 01/22/21 05:40 PM
Rest in peace MR. Aaron. One of the top 2 or 3 men to ever play MLB and a wonderful human being as well. God Bless!!
Posted By: bonefish Re: Henry Aaron - 01/22/21 06:05 PM

Home Run Derby was something I never missed. I would watch it then go and practice.

I would try to imitate each guy.

Of course every kid during that time loved Mickey.

I was no different. But Hank was special to me because he was a Brave. He made hitting look easy. Mickey was controlled fury when he swung. Like he wanted to kill the ball. Hank would just swing and the ball would take off.

I was crazy for baseball. Once I put on my uniform. I didn't want to take it off.

I have always felt that getting paid to play baseball. Would be like getting paid to go fishing. I would gladly do both for nothing and did.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Henry Aaron - 01/22/21 07:06 PM
Awesome
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Henry Aaron - 01/22/21 07:06 PM
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Henry Aaron - 01/22/21 07:35 PM
Just a couple of days after taking the COVID virus vaccine...

One of my heroes as a youth. So sad to here he's gone.

He is the TRUE home run leader of all time.

RIP Hammer! Go Braves!
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: Henry Aaron - 01/22/21 08:05 PM
Rest in peace Mr. Henry Aaron.

BIG BIG name from back then.

Thanks for the memories Hank.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Henry Aaron - 01/22/21 09:07 PM

I was born the year Jackie Robinson broke in the majors 1947.

I was fortunate to have parents who were not racist. My brother, sister and I we're raised to see all people as equal.

But I sure witnessed racism and lots of it. I can't imagine what that must have been like for a young Hank Aaron. To be denied opportunity and treated like that.

Sports and music were the first occupations to break that barrier. But for guys like Hank, Jackie, Willie and many others it was tough going.

It would have been so easy to turn bitter and be hateful in return.

Hank was a Race Man. He fought for others and those who reap the rewards today should be thankful for those early race pioneers.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Henry Aaron - 01/23/21 12:14 AM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

I never knew this. How awesome is that.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Henry Aaron - 01/23/21 07:39 AM
Still the HR king.
Rip, hammering hank
Posted By: BuckDawg1946 Re: Henry Aaron - 01/23/21 08:05 AM
Trailblazer
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Henry Aaron - 01/23/21 10:18 AM
RIP Hank. You inspired many a person.
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Henry Aaron - 01/23/21 03:34 PM
Hank Aaron is a good example of how a baseball player and good human being should act in life. Barry Bonds could learn a lesson or two from him in humility.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Henry Aaron - 01/23/21 03:44 PM
He broke the home run record when I was 10-11. I remember it being shortly after we moved back to Ohio. I seem to recall hearing it on the radio, and then seeing it on a "Baseball in review" type weekly show that weekend.

RIP Hank, and thanks for firing the imaginations of kids everywhere, that they too might some day break your record.
© DawgTalkers.net