DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: OldColdDawg Buckeyes - 06/04/21 04:16 PM

This kid might be fun to watch.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Buckeyes - 06/04/21 04:29 PM
Man though that hair. Kid, just cut it. It’s all the bad things… a mullet with dyed/bleached ends… yikes.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Buckeyes - 06/04/21 04:30 PM
He can spin it for sure but his delivery leaves some to be desired. Some guys can make it work though so I’ll let time be the judge of that.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Buckeyes - 06/04/21 06:12 PM
Yeah, a bit of a sidearm there.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Buckeyes - 06/04/21 06:14 PM
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
He can spin it for sure but his delivery leaves some to be desired. Some guys can make it work though so I’ll let time be the judge of that.

Yeah, I was just thinking that it just looks "off". He's all shoulder, no hips, throwing off the wrong feet, across the body, opposite direction of his movement, etc.... unless the drill was to intentionally do it all in the way you never want to do it, that's not a good look and he will need a LOT of coaching to become a better, smarter QB.

But, he makes all those throws nicely in shorts, at half speed, and with nobody in his face or chasing him down.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Buckeyes - 06/04/21 06:28 PM
Here’s a link to his s outing report and a good highlight film of him. His release and geberal mechanics look better in the video.
https://cfbsaturdays.com/quinn-ewers-scouting-report/
Posted By: BuckDawg1946 Re: Buckeyes - 07/14/21 04:35 AM
I just found out that Ohio State vs Oregon is actually a noon game. I missed the initial press release, and just assumed the 10am kickoff on my outlook calendar, was a TBD type situation because of Covid, and they were just waiting to announce the actual start time.

No, FOX has the game, and want to promote their “big noon kickoff”. The biggest game on Oregon’s schedule, starts at 9am. This is the definition of a primetime game . ESPN or ABC would never put this game on at Noon, pathetic piece of scheduling.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Buckeyes - 07/14/21 11:46 AM

I am no big OSU fan anymore, but if it works for him, don't change anything.

Lot's of pitchers have been screwed up because some coach thought their delivery was all wrong and needed to be changed.

Don't change anything if it works.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Buckeyes - 07/14/21 12:21 PM
I don't know what to think. His arm strength is unreal. Even in the hightlight reel though, he just seems like he doesn't want to step into his throws and it's all arm. He also looks pretty slow on his feet for the type of offense OSU runs.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Buckeyes - 07/14/21 12:34 PM
That's when the time comes to find out what a HC is all about. Does he try and mold a QB to fit his system or does he adjust his system to suit his QB?

I guess we'll find out.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Buckeyes - 07/14/21 12:55 PM
He's got a few years. Hopefully CJ Stroud will play up to expectations and stick around for a couple seasons after this guy shows up. The qb room at Ohio State is unreal. With this new NIL ruling, we probably won't see anything like it again.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Buckeyes - 08/02/21 05:44 PM
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Buckeyes - 08/02/21 09:38 PM
tOSU now has 3 5 star QBs. laugh
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Buckeyes - 08/04/21 12:08 AM
In the end, you have 1.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Buckeyes - 08/04/21 12:44 AM
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Buckeyes - 08/04/21 05:09 AM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Yeah, I was just thinking that it just looks "off". He's all shoulder, no hips, throwing off the wrong feet, across the body, opposite direction of his movement, etc.... unless the drill was to intentionally do it all in the way you never want to do it, that's not a good look and he will need a LOT of coaching to become a better, smarter QB.

But, he makes all those throws nicely in shorts, at half speed, and with nobody in his face or chasing him down.

Were the passes complete? I can't see twitter, or youtube.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Buckeyes - 08/04/21 12:07 PM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

I don't disagree. As long as the guys who aren't playing agree, it won't be a problem.

My point is someone is going to win the job. With ease of transfer rules, I doubt many 5 stars are going to give away their chance at being a #1 pick to sit behind someone else for very long.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great position for the Bucks. It just won't stay that way, but that's OK, they get to make their choice.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Buckeyes - 08/04/21 02:24 PM
I’m interested to see the financial impact Ewers has from coming here early. It may give us a leg-up on future recruits
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Buckeyes - 08/04/21 03:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
In the end, you have 1.

This isn’t true
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Buckeyes - 08/04/21 03:08 PM

I don't disagree. As long as the guys who aren't playing agree, it won't be a problem.

My point is someone is going to win the job. With ease of transfer rules, I doubt many 5 stars are going to give away their chance at being a #1 pick to sit behind someone else for very long.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great position for the Bucks. It just won't stay that way, but that's OK, they get to make their choice.

Yes, I agree. We will see which one or two transfers. Either this year or next.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Buckeyes - 08/04/21 03:14 PM
Betting odds for Ohio State's QB competition, per http://SportsBetting.ag:

C.J. Stroud -300
Kyle McCord +240
Quinn Ewers +325
Jack Miller +1600
Posted By: Dave Re: Buckeyes - 08/04/21 04:13 PM

I am no big OSU fan anymore, but if it works for him, don't change anything.

Lot's of pitchers have been screwed up because some coach thought their delivery was all wrong and needed to be changed.

Don't change anything if it works.

Roger that. I remember when the Indians traded Dennis Eckersley because they were convinced his funky release would results in arm problems. 21 years later he ended up with 197 wins, 390 saves, and (5 years later) a spot in the HOF.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Buckeyes - 08/05/21 12:16 AM
Originally Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask
In the end, you have 1.

This isn’t true

Why do you say that, unless you think OSU is going to play 3-4 QB?

I suppose some sort of rotation could be played. Spurrier did that at Florida and S Carolina with some success. At Florida Meyer had a rotation with Tebow and Leak, but that was a bit different with Tebow being a freshman and Leak a senior.
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Buckeyes - 08/05/21 02:54 AM
In the end, you have 1.

This isn’t true

Why do you say that, unless you think OSU is going to play 3-4 QB?

I suppose some sort of rotation could be played. Spurrier did that at Florida and S Carolina with some success. At Florida Meyer had a rotation with Tebow and Leak, but that was a bit different with Tebow being a freshman and Leak a senior.

Well, I get the premise of what you are saying. I know I am probably taking your quote at face value instead of your true meaning which i am assuming is....only one can start. Especially after seeing your response about a 1-2 punch. I think it just fits more with the NFL than college.

In pro ball, if you have a top QB then you know he's your future...meaning for the next 5-10 plus years. Like when the Colts would put anyone with a heartbeat behind Peyton when he was there. And the quote is valid like the quote of if you have two possible starters, then you have none.

Here's my points:
- Like you said, Tebow/ Leak thing (which I hope Day isn't planning) or another example is JT Barrett/Braxton/Cardale Championship season.

When you have those elite teams, it's great to have that top prospect as a back up. Some examples: Tua getting hurt and Mac Jones playing, last year Clemson with Trevor being out and the #1 QB prospect D.J. U (i'm not about to attempt his last name, lol) playing big minutes for him

Second point ( In college, if they are all Seniors this doesn't apply. )

Ohio State has two R-FR and two True Frosh...while it is obvious to all of us that one or two (maybe even three) will probably transfer. My view is...and maybe i'm just being hopeful, that I can see two of them staying.

To not make this a long story....I can see one playing out the year as starter with Ewers getting some time. Two are probably gone with two staying. One will buy his time till Ewers leaves in two years then will compete to start for a year or two after him.

So what I am saying, at face value of how I took the quote, I think it really doesn't apply to a top tier program with the end goal of winning a championship.

I hope that was clear enough answer.
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Buckeyes - 08/05/21 03:10 AM
I am interested in seeing how Day handles this whole situation.

Ewers is still a couple weeks away from coming aboard b/c of finishing up his last summer class.

What makes it interesting is you can play up to four games without burning a redshirt. Stroud and Miller used theirs last year, McCord and Ewers are true Frosh. If there are not any injuries, I can see all of them playing. If we are assuming Stroud starts, then the other three getting cleanup time. McCord and Ewers getting some game experience, then RS.

If the main starter has a big year then this is sort of a non-story. But if the main starter is shaky, then the questions will come....especially how will Day handle it. Especially when two have no game experience and Stroud/Miller have very minimal game experience in clean up time last year.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Buckeyes - 08/05/21 04:08 PM
You're only one play away from needing your back up to start taking snaps. After that you're only one play away from needing your third string QB to start taking snaps.

As a Browns fan I have learned that at times that is not as far fetched as it may sound.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Buckeyes - 08/05/21 09:26 PM
As a sophomore in h.s. - that didn't want to be a quarterback, but was the third string - I found that our very quickly. Starter breaks a leg? Back up goes in. I'm second. Backup gets hurt? Uh.....it's me.

Next man up - any position, any leveo - h.s., college, pros.
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Buckeyes - 08/06/21 01:27 AM
I am pretty sure if you walked up to Cardell Jones in August of 2014 and told him he would be QBing the Bucks in the Big title game, semi final and National Championship game he would have looked at you in disbelief.

Also even more so the morning of the Michigan game he might have looked at you like you had two heads.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Buckeyes - 08/11/21 07:26 PM
j/c

Look: Ohio State freshman Jack Sawyer debuts new truck courtesy of Mark Wahlberg

Jack Sawyer was one of the top prospects in the country reeled in by Ohio State. The defensive lineman didn’t take long to cash in on the NIL benefits of college athletics before even taking a snap at the Division 1 level.

Sawyer revealed his new truck from Chevrolet on Monday. In fact, it was courtesy of a big time celebrity.

Look below to see Sawyer’s new ride from Mark Wahlberg and Mark Wahlberg Chevrolet.

“BIG thanks to @MarkWahlberg and the people @WahlbergChevy for the awesome @Chevrolet Silverado!,” Sawyer tweeted. “Looking forward to a great season. GO BUCKS!”

247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Allen Trieu broke down Sawyer’s scouting report back in January, signaling a future high NFL draft choice.

“Physically put-together prospect,” Trieu wrote. “Has taken weight and speed training seriously and that shows up. Likely will not add tons and tons of weight come college, but still has a little bit of room. Great athlete who is a multi-sport guy and a multi-positional guy on the football field including even some stints at quarterback. As an end, that athleticism shows up as he gets off the ball well and can bend the corner and get upfield. Also is strong enough to anchor in against the run and has the blue-collar mentality to work in the trenches. Can run plays down when they go away from him and pursues hard. True strong-side end with enough versatility to play in multiple fronts or schemes.

“High-level prospect who is ready to come in and compete as a freshman at the college level and has the traits of a future high draft choice.

As a member of the Class of 2021, Sawyer was a five-star prospect according to the 247Sports Composite rankings. He was the No. 1 overall prospect in the state of Ohio, the No. 3 defensive line prospect in the class, the No. 5 overall prospect in the class and the No. 42 ranked prospect of all-time.

https://247sports.com/Article/Jack-Sawye...olet-168935182/
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Buckeyes - 08/11/21 07:35 PM
I’m not much of a truck guy, but that’s a pretty nice ride
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Buckeyes - 08/11/21 07:45 PM
Most of my life I have been a truck guy. I'm in the position now that I no longer feel it's practical for me to pay the price to own a truck one. I still drive a smaller SUV because I just can't get used to sitting so close to the ground in a car. The prices of trucks have gone through the roof.

But man that is a sweet truck!
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Buckeyes - 08/11/21 11:41 PM
The new trucks are amazing. I agree the prices are crazy for some of those new ones. I loved having a SUV, but a couple years ago my coworker talked me into getting a BMW M4 hard top (yes the prices are crazy for it too, lol) and I’ve loved it. What you said is my only negative, not being able to see around vehicles because so low to the ground.

The car isn’t that ideal in DC, because of only x amount of months of hot weather. But it’s about to be an island car here in a couple weeks when I PCS. That top will be down almost daily. nanner
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Buckeyes - 08/12/21 12:28 AM
I’m not much of a truck guy, but that’s a pretty nice ride

Damn!

Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Buckeyes - 08/21/21 04:20 PM
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Buckeyes - 08/25/21 12:48 AM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Buckeyes - 09/02/21 12:22 PM

GAME DAY SKULL SESSION: GET DUMPED THEN, MINNESOTA
The boat is sinking.
https://www.elevenwarriors.com/skull-ses...-then-minnesota

We're five years removed from P.J. Fleck getting sold to me as college football's next Urban Meyer, and yet here he is, still in the Land of 10,000 Lakes preparing to take one on the chin from college football's actual rising star.

But to be clear, I don't hate Fleck. In fact, I respect him. The dude grifted his way to this position with fun catchphrases and a big smile with nobody even bothering to realize that he's actually bad at coaching football. He's a mascot with a whistle that makes almost $5 million a year.

Fleck aside, Minnesota's got a talented and veteran team, I admit that. But that sure didn't stop them from finishing 3-4 with pretty much the same roster last season. And that record includes a 49-24 beatdown against what was probably the worst Michigan team I've seen in my life, which is an extremely high bar to clear. So forgive me if I'm not exactly shaking in my boots over all of this "returning talent."

Speaking of which, do you know why a team would be loaded so many true and redshirt seniors on a roster? It's because none of them were good enough to leave early. So when you tout all this "experience," you're really just telling on yourself and your ability to recruit and develop actual NFL talent.

Meanwhile, Ohio State's going to start a dude who's never attempted a collegiate pass who will throwing to a receiving corps that will almost certainly include multiple true freshmen and probably multiple running backs in either their first or second year on campus and there's not a soul who would take Goldy's offense. Welcome to modern college football.

I step into this game day unconcerned because there only two things intimidating about the state of Minnesota: Fargo and the weather, and neither of them are showing up to help the Golden Gophers tonight.

Buckeyes roll. The boat sinks.

Welcome back, football.

Word of the Day: Exterminate.

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Buckeyes - 09/02/21 01:05 PM
Looking forward to starting it up tonight
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Buckeyes - 09/02/21 10:11 PM
"I want you to kill all the gophers on the golf course."
Posted By: jaybird Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 12:17 AM
Defense finally got a hold... Minn running game is on point...
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 12:23 AM
O-H
Posted By: jaybird Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 12:24 AM
I-O

Hell of a run
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 12:25 AM
That reminded me a bit of a Nick Chubb run .... stiff arm, then explosion.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 12:39 AM
Stroud needs to work on his long ball...
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 12:42 AM
The one that drew PI looked great.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 12:52 AM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
The one that drew PI looked great.

It was closer.... if there was no PI it may have been a TD... he's struggled with any throw over 8 yards though.... I recognize it's his first start but he needs to get better for this offense to really click...
Posted By: jaybird Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 01:16 AM
ready for the backup....
Posted By: jaybird Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 01:16 AM
Olave is WIDE open
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 01:16 AM
That was an ugly pass for the INT. crazy
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 01:25 AM
j/c...

Buckeyes look wholly unimpressive. Stroud looks like he has the yips already. Defense is unimpressive, but that was anticipated.

They'll make the playoffs, but if this keeps up they'll get smoked by Alabama or Clemson.

On a side note, OSU -13.5 seems like a not-so-hot idea!
Posted By: jaybird Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 01:29 AM
on offense they have so much talent but Stroud looks like this is his first time playing the position....

defense has been decent... got put in a tough position with that turn over...

not looking good tonight at all though... feels like an upset brewing
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 01:30 AM
U G L Y
Posted By: Jester Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 01:30 AM
Stroud's release is long and slow
Posted By: jaybird Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 01:35 AM
Need to get the passing game fixed... get the ball to start the second half... let's get it right guys....
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 01:37 AM
Stroud going to cost Olave money draft spot wise (see DPJ).

I'd bench Stroud. This may be the -13.5 talking. tongue
Posted By: jaybird Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 01:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Stroud going to cost Olave money draft spot wise (see DPJ).

I'd bench Stroud. This may be the -13.5 talking. tongue

I'd probably let him start the second half, but got to think he's on a short leash
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 01:50 AM
He thinks he's Johnny Manziel.

We need to run the ball...
Posted By: jaybird Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 01:59 AM
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies
He thinks he's Johnny Manziel.

We need to run the ball...

we need to be able to have accurate passes though.... I agree we need to run the ball but we also need a competent passer.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 01:59 AM
There you go!!

That was his best pass of the night
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 02:00 AM
Confidence builder.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 02:08 AM
Bull
Posted By: jaybird Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 02:29 AM
There you go stroud!!!

Great pass
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 02:30 AM
That was nice all around!
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 02:36 AM
HASKELL THE RASCAL.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 02:36 AM
Nice! laugh

O-H
Posted By: jaybird Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 02:37 AM
Great job defense!!!!!!
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 02:37 AM
I-O!
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 02:40 AM
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 02:48 AM
We need a lot of tackling drills.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 03:03 AM
Yesssss!

Go Bucks! Beautiful play! laugh

O-H
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 03:06 AM
Posted By: FATE Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 03:06 AM
I-O!

That should do it, sports fans!
Posted By: FATE Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 03:07 AM
Henderson looks a little like Bo Jackson to me. Don't know much about him... just the way he runs and the deceptive speed.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 03:09 AM
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 03:10 AM

Gotta love that they put up the wrong score, and credited the wrong player in the captioning. crazy
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 03:21 AM
Olave is just so smooooth
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 03:22 AM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 03:24 AM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 03:37 AM
j/c...

-13.5 covers, albeit a dicey situation!
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 03:53 AM
Posted By: BuckDawg1946 Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 07:11 AM
Rebuilding year, defense is weak.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 09:31 AM
Stroud was unimpressive in the first half; he did settle in and had a really nice throw or two. He’s gotta improve (and he will).

We have a lot of talent at WR lol … and RB

Our defense continues to make splash plays, but man, we need work
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 07:35 PM
j/c

Reading this thread is why you never see me respond to game day threads during the game.

The gang had Stroud hung out to dry. A kid who had never started a college game didn't even have time to get his feet wet before somebody suggest he be benched.

A bunch of emotional, knee jerk reactions. Typical game day thread.
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Buckeyes - 09/03/21 08:23 PM
Agreed, while playing an away game… at night …in the rain.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Buckeyes - 09/04/21 02:15 AM
I rarely visit the game day threads for that reason.
At halftime I turned to my girlfriend and stated, “Day needs to figure out a way to get the ball into his playmaker’s hands”. He did. Great coaching coming out of the half.
Posted By: BuckDawg1946 Re: Buckeyes - 09/05/21 06:08 AM
2 losses on the year, even if we have 1 and squeak into the playoff,

I see no defensive presence that warrants national championship contention.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Buckeyes - 09/05/21 10:42 AM
Watching Oregon yesterday, we shouldn’t have a problem with them. Seems like they don’t nearly have the explosive offense of years past
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Buckeyes - 09/06/21 12:35 AM
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Buckeyes - 09/06/21 03:23 AM
Florida state may upset Notre Dame
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Buckeyes - 09/07/21 06:11 AM
Is it time to admit Ryan Day, HC OSU is not a great gameday Head coach. He gives up too many points defensively.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Buckeyes - 09/07/21 11:37 AM
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Is it time to admit Ryan Day, HC OSU is not a great gameday Head coach. He gives up too many points defensively.

He's 24-2.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Buckeyes - 09/07/21 04:01 PM
Yeah he sucks!
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Buckeyes - 09/07/21 06:32 PM
Only saw Q1 of the osu game, watched the highlights, it looks like they got it together in the second half. A lot to clean up going into the Oregon game next week.

Alabama is an absolute wagon.

For all the whining about the Penn State/Wisconsin game, that was a hell of a lot more entertaining than that snoozefest between Georgia and Clemson. Funny enough, didn't hear much complaining about that one though.

UCLA is really good, and is the Pac-12's only hope to get back into the playoff.

I don't like the Big Ten playing each other so early. I also don't like games against FCS opponents either, but I am just so used to Big Ten play opening up just when the air starts to get a little cooler.

I miss college football crowds. I watched last year, but just was not into it. Camp Randall was incredible on Saturday.

Cincinnati is really really good. It would be hilarious if they beat Brian Kelly's former employer later on this season. I had the conversation with my cousin last year, but if I'm Michigan, I'm doing everything in my power to bring Luke Fickell to Ann Arbor. I don't know if he'd take the job, but that is the kind of move that could get that back.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Buckeyes - 09/07/21 06:46 PM
We're certainly going to need #29, Denzel Burke to figure out that his job is pass coverage against WR's and not to mug them. He looked horrible in coverage. We were lucky he didn't draw even more penalty flags than he did.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Buckeyes - 09/07/21 09:05 PM
A few random thoughts from the weekend...

Right now it looks like Alabama and everybody else.

Georgia's defense is legit but Clemson looked more lost than I've seen them in a long time.

UCLA is really good.

It was week 1, a lot will change...

And on a personal note, the Terps looked pretty good. No bold predictions but they have more talent across the field than they have had in a long time. Locksley is moving the needle in the right direction. Taulia Tagovailoa looks a lot like his brother, except when he looks nothing like his brother.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Buckeyes - 09/08/21 11:41 AM
I was impressed with UCLA too. They seem much faster all around than last year. They seem like the team to beat in the pac 12
Posted By: jaybird Re: Buckeyes - 09/09/21 01:59 AM
Originally Posted By: jfanent

He's 24-2.

Guy can't beat the national champion.... obviously needs to go.....
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Buckeyes - 09/09/21 04:45 PM

He's 24-2.

Yep, fans of every school, except Alabama and Clemson, would trade places with Ohio State in a heartbeat.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Buckeyes - 09/10/21 12:11 AM
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

He's 24-2.

Yep, fans of every school, except Alabama and Clemson, would trade places with Ohio State in a heartbeat.

When you are a Maryland fan you can say that. As a Florida fan, no way. tongue
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Buckeyes - 09/10/21 04:31 AM
Dan Mullen is 99–54. What was it you were saying?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Buckeyes - 09/10/21 10:08 AM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Dan Mullen is 99–54. What was it you were saying?

I said no way would I trade places. I don't care about the record. OSU could move to the MAC and be undefeated. That still wouldn't tempt me to trade places.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Buckeyes - 09/10/21 01:15 PM
No one said trade teams. The ‘trade places’ was about the record. Every team would gladly trade records with the Bucks. Even the Gators.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Buckeyes - 09/10/21 03:25 PM
I see the context escaped you.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Buckeyes - 09/10/21 10:57 PM
j/c...
Posted By: jaybird Re: Buckeyes - 09/11/21 12:30 AM
How is OSU / Oregon not a night game!?!?
Posted By: columbusdawg Re: Buckeyes - 09/11/21 01:48 AM
Originally Posted By: jaybird
How is OSU / Oregon not a night game!?!?

We can thank Fox for that. I was just reading an article that OSU had to pay 1M to keep the Ducks from cancelling the game as there was a buyout clause they were going to use due to time. Article said that it was likely more than 1M
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Buckeyes - 09/11/21 05:42 PM
The D coordinator for OSU sucks .. Absolutely no pressure on their QB in the first half.. In fact Oregon has controlled both sides on the line of scrimmage in the first half ..
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Buckeyes - 09/11/21 06:13 PM
This is a pitiful performance. Oregon is beating our butts
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Buckeyes - 09/11/21 06:34 PM
This is an Old Fashion Butt kicking .. How many times are you going to get beat with the same play ..
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Buckeyes - 09/11/21 06:46 PM
Oregon looking to pour it on here
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Buckeyes - 09/11/21 07:10 PM
Well, I could have made that TD throw. crazy
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Buckeyes - 09/11/21 07:10 PM
35-21 … defense is awful
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Buckeyes - 09/11/21 07:30 PM
I know, I can't watch anything so I don't know anything.
But! I'm watching the same nothing I did 37+ years ago, so I'm seeing the same thing.

Even from last year, and before that TD, (so earlier today),
I think that Jackson Smith-Njigba, should have seen more playing time last year and is probably at least top 2 with Olave, as best Wr on that team,
Maybe even the best one.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Buckeyes - 09/11/21 07:37 PM
How was that not targetting???
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Buckeyes - 09/11/21 07:43 PM
Can't anyone specify why Master Teauge isn't the starting running back? Henderson is horrible.
Posted By: Squires Re: Buckeyes - 09/11/21 07:44 PM
35-28 and they took the game off here to put on another game. mad
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Buckeyes - 09/11/21 08:01 PM
Welp ...... that sucked.
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Buckeyes - 09/11/21 08:02 PM
FIRE THE DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Buckeyes - 09/11/21 08:02 PM
Maybe Teague is getting out played by Henderson.

I didn't see the first half.
The Rushing stats? Ohio State was 9-0 vs Oregon all time, and everybody knows that when you play Oregon,

usually, You just run it all over them, 8 yards and a cloud of dust.

Did Ohio State forget who they are? Are they in this situation because they forgot about the running game?

I did see, a time they went for it in FG range?
or twice, in the 2nd half.

I mean from the 25 and not getting it. +17 that'd be a 42 yarder, Making 42 yard Fg's by attempting them,

is a part of being a good football team.

This is the Big 10, Cmon! You don't lose your identity?

Aww geesh, They got out buckeyed by the others,
10 million yards on the ground.

Last play of the game a Qb sack, Aww,
not cool
not cool
borrowed time HC, borrowed time.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Buckeyes - 09/11/21 08:10 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Welp ...... that sucked.

They gave up on the Run! /got out runned. NFL or college, can't do that.

Garrett Wilson? WR. One of 3.
1. Was injured, therefore couldn't try harder on those targets.
2. Was paid off by somebody to not try on those targets, (would never happen) or
3. Was just imitating his inner Kenyon Rambo, who absolutely sucked as a Wr. for the Bucks several years ago; to not give even passing effort on some of those targets.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Buckeyes - 09/11/21 08:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Squires
35-28 and they took the game off here to put on another game. mad

Where is Here? General area?
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Buckeyes - 09/11/21 08:16 PM
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Buckeyes - 09/11/21 08:19 PM
Ryan,
You got out rushed by about 100 yards, do you feel like you have the running backs in the locker room that can get the Job done???

Ryan, just can you address not going for the field goals in the 2nd half inside the 30???
Posted By: jaybird Re: Buckeyes - 09/11/21 08:23 PM
Tough game... OSU has a long way to grow... Congrats Oregon... something to be said about a seasoned team looking for the upset.....
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Buckeyes - 09/11/21 08:33 PM
Oregon played well and we helped. Plays for TD's looked about identical and we never adjusted to solve that corner run. Stroud may not be the answer. We did not play well in the secondary and as a group didn't seem ramped up or ready. Ducks brought it to us.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Buckeyes - 09/11/21 09:06 PM
Defense was horrid and we didnt deserve to win. Oregon truly outplayed the Bucks
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Buckeyes - 09/11/21 09:20 PM
Tough loss.

It's a long season and I doubt there will be several undefeated teams and even though it shouldn't matter a early loss is easier to absorb.

I don't think OSU is playing for the Outback Bowl just yet.
Posted By: BuckDawg1946 Re: Buckeyes - 09/12/21 12:06 AM
I’ve religiously followed tOSU since 2001, worst defense in 20 years, easily. The rebuilding year was coming sooner than later, we can’t win them all.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Buckeyes - 09/12/21 03:41 AM
How do the Buckeyes not have a running game, that would be like Mcdonalds running out of Fries.

Coach could look at (apparently Oregon) or Michigan, from today and see what a running offense does to compliment a winning performance.
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Buckeyes - 09/12/21 07:44 AM
J/c

Waking up at 6 am to watch that game was rough.

The offense - the play designs are very good. It’s hard to complain about it when Stroud overthrew 3?4? deep balls. Our top 3 receivers are ridiculous…and that isn’t even counting Fleming. The run game is a work in progress.

The defense - we have talent, lots of talent.

Combs is a great recruiter and solid if not great D-back coach. But as the defensive coordinator, he has a lot to be desired. I am not seeing the disguising of the defense, there isn’t any movement of personnel to confuse the QB. I am not seeing any adjustments. It just has that feel, as we know our players are more talented/athletic then yours so we win. Instead of playing with a poker face, we are already showing you the cards. It’s just a matter if you can out think/adjust to those cards.

Penalties 8 to 4. I won’t get into the blaming the refs thing as that isn’t constructive. They need to clean those up. That false start by Jones (he had two) killed the one drive in the red zone and possibly another if my memory is correct (?).
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Buckeyes - 09/12/21 04:48 PM
Oregon just played a great game. You can pick apart Ohio State after that, but Oregon was impressive most of the day.

I think this may be a rare down year for ohio state, maybe they come together like the 2014 team did after the VT loss at home, but they look light years away from being a title contender

Stroud has been up and down, he's 19. I like the kid because he's got balls. He doesn't appear to be intimidated by the game, or by the situation this team is in right now. Don't get me wrong, he looked flat out confused at times yesterday. He has room for growth, but I think he can be pretty good with time. Ohio State has had a really good run of good QB play, especially for a school that is not known for it. Standards at that position for OSU have been at their highest this last decade. Barrett, Miller, Cardale, etc set that bar much higher. He can be good, I just hope there is patience, because it will be tested this year.

If Coombs can't figure it out this year, he's gotta go. You have that high of a level of athletes out there, you have to be able to figure it out at Ohio State.

I like Henderson a lot. If this defense can come together, he can be a great back to control the clock.

I was surprised to see Olave kind of dog it and flop on a catchable ball in the end zone, he's better than that.

Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Buckeyes - 09/12/21 04:58 PM
Oregon outplayed the Buckeyes Period! But man it's like everyone has put the Buckeyes in the Big Ten basement? The Buckeyes are loaded with young talent and remember 2014 when they lost to VT everybody buried them, how did that work out smile
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Buckeyes - 09/12/21 05:05 PM
Yeah honestly it seems to be a down year for the bucks. We’ve said it before, but it may be true this year
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Buckeyes - 09/12/21 05:34 PM
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Oregon outplayed the Buckeyes Period! But man it's like everyone has put the Buckeyes in the Big Ten basement? The Buckeyes are loaded with young talent and remember 2014 when they lost to VT everybody buried them, how did that work out smile

the 2014 team was a year away from what we all thought they'd be. They just kept getting better and better every week. I am hoping to see similar growth, but that 2014 group was special.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Buckeyes - 09/12/21 06:36 PM
Ohio State is ranked 11th in this week's Coaches Poll following yesterday's loss to Oregon, who jumped up seven spots to 4th.

Ohio State is ranked 9th in the AP Top 25, where Oregon jumped up eight spots to 4th.

https://twitter.com/Dan_Hope/status/1437100501322149901
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Buckeyes - 09/13/21 02:42 AM
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

He's 24-2.

When you are a Maryland fan you can say that. As a Florida fan, no way. tongue

I understand.... but what I meant was trade places with their record from recent memory... I can't think of any schools that, if their new coach was 24-2, and the only 2 losses came in the playoff round, would be calling for their coaches head...
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Buckeyes - 09/13/21 01:22 PM
I knew what you were saying. Just having a bit of fun my friend.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Buckeyes - 09/21/21 12:00 AM
Didn't get a chance to weigh in after Saturday, but oh boy is that defense a mess.

I'm not saying these guys should be some top of the nation defense, but there's way too much talent for them to be getting steamrolled by oregon, and to struggle mightily against Tulsa.

I think with the Buckeye offense you can see things coming along. It's a work in progress, but you can see the potential. I don't really see anything with that defense. No threat on the edge, nobody really locking down at corner, no play making safety. I really think Kerry Coombs is in over his head. I know everyone is making that take, but I don't really see what he's trying to do.

That was a really nice win for Penn State too. They needed that one.

Credit to Florida for hanging in there and making a game of it, but I don't think there's a team in the nation that can hang with Alabama for 60 minutes.

There's a lot of season left, and teams will get better, but this is looking pretty top heavy, and some of the other usuals look like they may be on off years (OSU, Clemson, OU, etc)

I think Iowa is a really good team, and probably the class of the big ten this year, but I can't see them going toe to toe with Alabama.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Buckeyes - 09/23/21 04:29 PM
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Buckeyes - 09/24/21 10:18 PM
Ohio State started as 53 point favorites vs. Akron this week.
" But how are they going to beat Akron by 50 when they give up 30 points on defense to them?"

Yes too just having a little fun. Yes Ryan Dayes' real job should be in a real microscope. You can't lose your identity and get out rushed by over 100 yards, by a not top 25 team. (They didn't Oregon was top 25?)
But Tulsa. The almost lose, the 'escaping with a victory' against Tulsa.
What Can't be allowed to happen, is they can't lose their heart and soul identity of a run up the middle smash mouth Ohio State Football team. Or Earle Bruce would be rolling over in his R.I.P.
I bet there are (more than ones) of coaches that could Almost lose to Tulsa if coaching Ohio State. (Escaping with a win.)
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Buckeyes - 09/25/21 06:46 PM
OSU lost their first regular season game nearly 4 years (Ryan Day 25-3) so I guess its time to throw in the towel? Bama and OSU have the top 2 Recruiting classes in what the last 5 years, so the Bucks have the talent and are still the Bell Cow of the Big Ten, since 2002 the Ohio State Buckeyes have won 11 Big Ten Titles and 2 National Titles and played in 7 National Title Games, so no IOWA isn't best team in the Big Ten and never will be as long as the Buckeyes are in the conference, and don't be surprised when they win their 5th straight Big Ten Tile this season. It's way to early to be digging the grave of a perennial winner like tOSU ... JMHO smile
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Buckeyes - 09/26/21 01:36 AM
Ohio State linebacker K'Vaughan Pope sent to locker room after outburst

https://www.on3.com/teams/ohio-state-buc...burst-sideline/

COLUMBUS — K’Vaughan Pope was headed for an early exit at Ohio State.

Then the Buckeyes appeared to force him to take it.

After trying to run out on the field in a substitution package in the second quarter on Saturday night against Akron, the senior linebacker was waved off by teammate Teradja Mitchell. Once getting back to the sideline, a visibly upset Pope started walking down the sideline by himself and was heading back to the locker room on his own.

Eventually he was corralled by Buckeyes staffer C.J. Barnett in the south end zone, and Pope was guided back to the sideline. Once there, though, Pope took off his gloves and threw them into the stands and began removing his Ohio State jersey — which apparently caught the attention of coach Ryan Day. After another conversation with multiple staffers, Pope was then led to the locker room while the game was ongoing.

The Buckeyes already lost one veteran linebacker to the transfer portal this week with Dallas Gant electing to leave the program. There have already been several not-so-subtle hints on social media dating back to spring practice that Pope was not happy with his role and could also depart Ohio State at some point, but it certainly wasn’t a situation that was expected to play out in the middle of game in front of a huge crowd at the Horseshoe.

Pope has played in 33 games during his Ohio State career, flashing off the bench with a couple interceptions two years ago and showing promise as an athletic blitzing threat at linebacker as well. But he’s never carved out a regular role with his position unit, and he had just 19 tackles coming into the nonconference tuneup against Akron.

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Buckeyes - 09/26/21 09:53 AM
OSU has some issues right now internally (I’m sure most teams do). It’s a year to rebuild anyways, might as well go young
Posted By: jaybird Re: Buckeyes - 09/26/21 12:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
OSU has some issues right now internally (I’m sure most teams do). It’s a year to rebuild anyways, might as well go young

yeah - I know it's Akron but the defense actually looked decent for the first time this year... there's a lot of young talent on. this team.

that thing with Pope is a bit crazy... even if you're not getting playing time, as a senior there's other ways to contribute and lead
Posted By: Jester Re: Buckeyes - 09/26/21 01:17 PM
Anybody have an opinion on how McCord and Miller played at QB?
Stroud have anything to worry about?
Posted By: jaybird Re: Buckeyes - 09/26/21 03:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Jester
Anybody have an opinion on how McCord and Miller played at QB?
Stroud have anything to worry about?

Both played well at times... don't think Stroud will be unseated though.....
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Buckeyes - 09/26/21 07:24 PM
The defense is a work in progress, we lost 6 starters and a couple of key backups to the draft, some of the guys who were expected to start have been banged up, and on top of that we've had some people who would probably starting right now transfer out over the last few years.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Buckeyes - 01/03/22 11:19 PM
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Buckeyes - 01/04/22 04:35 PM
1.9 million base salary as a DC. Not a bad gig.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Buckeyes - 02/06/22 10:04 PM
Gattis leaving Michigan. So, both coordinators now gone. The back story to this could get interesting.

https://wolverineswire.usatoday.com...-football-administration-before-leaving/

Sunday brought some surprises to those outside Schembechler Hall, when Michigan offensive coordinator Josh Gattis departed, taking the same role with Mario Cristobal’s Miami.

But those inside Michigan football likely weren’t surprised at all, if what ESPN is saying is true.

According to Tom VanHaaren, Gattis sent a text to some of his players upon his departure, noting that he doesn’t feel appreciated by the Michigan football administration. This comes on the heels of Jim Harbaugh expecting to get the Minnesota Vikings job but ultimately staying in Ann Arbor, and Gattis’ candidacy to replace him. Some reports indicated that it was Mike Hart who could have been the successor rather than Gattis.

Regardless, this gives a little insight as to why Gattis made a lateral move. But even then, it certainly doesn’t share the whole story.

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Buckeyes - 05/10/22 02:19 PM
j/c:

Ohio State Buckeyes football lands top 2024 QB prospect Dylan Raiola

11:37 PM ET
Tom VanHaaren
ESPN Staff Writer

Ohio State got a commitment from one of the top 2024 prospects on Monday, when quarterback Dylan Raiola announced his commitment to the Buckeyes.

ESPN doesn't have rankings for the 2024 class, but Raiola is widely regarded as one of the top overall recruits and one of the top quarterbacks in his class.

He is also the son of former Detroit Lions offensive lineman, Dominic Raiola. The younger Raiola had offers from nearly every major program, including his father's alma mater, Nebraska, along with Alabama, Georgia, Texas, Notre Dame, Oregon and USC among others.

Raiola is a 6-foot-3 and 220-pound prospect from Chandler High School in Chandler, Arizona, and recently transferred from Burleson, Texas, where he played for former NFL quarterback Jon Kitna. His sophomore season, under Kitna, he threw for 3,243 yards and 42 touchdowns and will play for his Chandler team this season.

Raiola had recently taken a visit to Nebraska, where his uncle Donovan is the offensive line coach. But the Buckeyes took a commanding lead after an April trip to Columbus.

He's the first commitment in the 2024 class for Ohio State, and while the staff doesn't have a quarterback committed yet in the 2023 class, coach Ryan Day signed ESPN 300 quarterback Devin Brown and signed ESPN 300 quarterback Kyle McCord in 2021.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-lands-top-2024-qb-prospect-dylan-raiola
© DawgTalkers.net