DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: PitDAWG Player News - 06/22/21 04:15 PM
Okay, so this isn't football related in terms of on the field which is why I am putting it here. But headlines are starting to come up about players that I thought were news worthy for football fans.

Kansas City Chiefs defensive end Frank Clark arrested in L.A. after submachine gun seen in car: Police

Kansas City Chiefs defensive end Frank Clark was arrested in Los Angeles after police saw a submachine gun in his car, police said Monday.

Clark, 28, was pulled over for a vehicle violation south of downtown at about 9:20 p.m. Sunday, LAPD public information officer Tony Im said.

“Officers noticed a bag with an Uzi sticking out” in plain sight in the car, Im said.

Clark was arrested on suspicion of having a concealed firearm in a vehicle, Im said.

He was booked into Los Angeles County jail and released Monday afternoon on $35,000 bond, according to the county sheriff’s jail inmate website.

“We are aware of the matter which will be reviewed under the NFL’s personal conduct policy,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said.

Clark’s attorney, Alex Spiro, said the gun belonged to Clark’s bodyguard.

Clark, who is a native of Los Angeles, played his first four NFL seasons with the Seattle Seahawks before being traded to the Kansas City Chiefs in 2019. He was part of the Chiefs’ Super Bowl-winning team in the 2019 season and overall has 49 sacks in 91 career games.

Clark previously was arrested in 2014 on suspicion of domestic violence over an incident at an Ohio hotel, leading to his removal from the University of Michigan team. He eventually pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of disorderly conduct.

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/kansas-...-concealed-gun/
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 06/22/21 04:19 PM
Vikings rookie shot 4 times in DC

Minnesota Vikings rookie Jaylen Twyman is in a hospital recovering after being shot four times in Washington, D.C.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Twyman — a sixth-round pick in the 2021 NFL Draft — was in a car and visiting his aunt when he was shot multiple times.

His agent, Drew Rosenhaus, reportedly told Schefter that Twyman won't need surgery but has superficial wounds, calling it a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Vikings’ rookie DT Jaylen Twyman was shot four times while visiting an aunt in Washington DC. “Wrong place, wrong time,” said his agent Drew Rosenhaus. “In talking to him today, he’s going to be OK - that’s all that matters. We’re thankful he’s OK. He will make a full recovery.”

Fortunately, Twyman is expected to make a full recovery.

The Vikings released the following statement to 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS:

"Minnesota Vikings defensive tackle Jaylen Twyman was one of several victims wounded during a shooting in Washington, DC, today. We have been in direct contact with Jaylen and his family, and we are extremely thankful Jaylen is expected to make a full recovery. At this time we will defer any further comment to the proper authorities."

https://kstp.com/minnesota-sports/vikings-rookie-jaylen-twyman-shot-in-dc-june-21-2021/6148050/
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Player News - 06/22/21 04:42 PM
re: Clark's Uzi in the car....

Unless there's a history I'm not aware of, file this one under players doing dumb stuff. Shaun Rogers tried to bring a giant revolver through domestic airline security (in his carry-on). He said he forgot he had it in there.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 06/22/21 05:06 PM
I think a large part of this will be determined by whether it ends up being a semi automatic or fully automatic. And I seriously doubt you would forget having an Uzi sticking out of a bag on your car seat.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Player News - 06/22/21 05:16 PM
Frank Clark‘s arrest Sunday night for felony illegal possession of a firearm was his second gun charge in three months.

Sam McDowell of the Kansas City Star uncovered California Highway Patrol records that show the Chiefs defensive end was arrested March 13 along with another man, Charles Smith, on a gun charge during a traffic stop.

Officers observed and recovered two loaded firearms inside the vehicle during a traffic stop at 11:45 p.m. PT on March 12. The police report obtained by the newspaper shows Clark and Smith were pulled over because the vehicle in which they were traveling did not display a front license plate.

Officers saw the muzzle of a firearm in a bag in the back seat and recovered two loaded firearms — one rifle and one handgun — from the vehicle.

Clark was released on $35,000 bond on March 13.

A Chiefs spokesman told McDowell the team is aware of Clark’s arrest but did not have a comment. It is unclear whether the Chiefs knew about Clark’s first arrest this offseason.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...n-a-gun-charge/
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 06/22/21 05:34 PM
That certainly adds some context.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Player News - 06/22/21 05:39 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I think a large part of this will be determined by whether it ends up being a semi automatic or fully automatic. And I seriously doubt you would forget having an Uzi sticking out of a bag on your car seat.

I thought all Uzis were auto(?). I did a quick search, and Uzi's are banned in CA, but if it was registered prior to its banning (a while ago), then it's legal to possess there.
That said, and unless I'm mistaken (very possible), his goose is cooked regardless. In CA, the laws are very specific on how you're allowed to transport your firearm by car. Peeking out from under a bag in the passenger seat, as you would imagine, is a no-go.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 06/22/21 06:00 PM
They're designed in a way they can be made fully auto pretty easily, but no, there are a limited number of actual fully automatic weapons in the U.S.

Out of the nearly 400 million guns in the U.S., only 630 thousand are actually fully automatic and you have to jump through hoops to get a permit for one.

Automatic Weapons Are Legal, But It Takes A Lot To Get One Of The 630,000 In The U.S.

https://www.boisestatepublicradio.org/ne...-000-in-the-u-s
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Player News - 06/22/21 06:16 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Peeking out from under a bag in the passenger seat, as you would imagine, is a no-go.

Actually, as I found out in South Carolina, once, it isn't legal there, either. When in your car, that firearm falls under concealed carry laws, and one of the near universal aspects of concealed carry is that it must be in your possession and under your control. Under the driver's seat is ok. Under something on, or in front of, the passenger's seat is not ok. At that point, it is an illegally concealed weapon. A completely stupid distinction, but that is the nature of many gun laws, but, I digress.

So, regardless of whether or not it was full or semi, and whether or not he had a legal concealed permit... it wasn't legally concealed by most State's standards.

And, yeah... people that legally own full-auto weapons aren't an issue. The background checks done there are on par with security clearance checks.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Player News - 06/22/21 07:11 PM
Assuming Frank Clark is not living in CA and does NOT have a concealed carry permit from CA, having any gun anywhere in the car other than locked in a carrier in the trunk unloaded and separate from ammo means CA is going to bend him over the table.

CA doesn't recognize out of state concealed carry permits, and I doubt they would give one to him after his history that goes back to his college years.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News - 06/23/21 04:49 PM
One of the reasons to never go there. It isn't safe for law abiding citizens.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 06/23/21 04:56 PM
You may wish to check out which states do and which states do not honor your CCW permit from Tennessee.

Concealed Carry Reciprocity

https://www.tennessee-carry.com/reciprocity-with-other-states

It's those nasty state rights you seem to always promote.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Player News - 06/23/21 04:57 PM
I started getting into CA gun laws because California law is such that further details aren't really going to improve his case. Would you rather be in a state that's enacting laws such that someone like Frank Clark can get a CCW without any training?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 06/23/21 05:10 PM
Both Peen and I live in a state where you don't even need a CCW permit. Just buy a gun and strap it on! No permit or training needed! I mean what could possibly go wrong with that, right?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News - 06/23/21 07:32 PM
Both Peen and I live in a state where you don't even need a CCW permit. Just buy a gun and strap it on! No permit or training needed! I mean what could possibly go wrong with that, right?

When you think about it, what could go wrong that already doesn't? If people are going out to shoot'em up, they have a gun with them, legal or not.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 06/23/21 07:50 PM
And that's the exact same thing as people not having a clue how to handle or fire a gun carrying around a gun. When you think about it, maybe we should take some common sense measures to prevent more gun deaths where and when we can.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News - 07/10/21 12:55 PM
And that's the exact same thing as people not having a clue how to handle or fire a gun carrying around a gun. When you think about it, maybe we should take some common sense measures to prevent more gun deaths where and when we can.

I won't disagree with that.

My only counter would be, how many gun deaths are accidental, where training might have done some good?

No doubt it's some, but in the broad sense, I don't think those deaths are the ones responsible for all the restrictive gun law legislation being proposed or passed.

I highly encourage everyone who purchases a gun to get some sort of training, even if by a family member who knows the in and outs.

When you get down to it, how many people do you think go out and get a gun with no idea or no idea how to operate the thing in a safe manner? I don't think it is all that many. I will stipulate that includes then gets no training at all.

You can go to youtube and pull up dozens of safety vids that are broad in nature and even gun specific. I wouldn't call that ideal. Some hands on with someone at your side is the best way.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 07/10/21 04:05 PM
Some corpses count more than none. Any common sense way we can reduce gun deaths is a positive. You see, what you're doing is opening the door to question every accidental shooting that occurs. I don't care if it only saves 100 lives a year, 50 or even 10.

People who have never even fired a gun shouldn't be carrying one around in their waste band.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Player News - 07/10/21 09:06 PM
If Clark would have been picked up in Texas with an Uzi, they'd have pinned a medal on him.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Player News - 07/10/21 09:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
If Clark would have been picked up in Texas with an Uzi, they'd have pinned a medal on him.

Incorrect.

Perfect example of extremism and hatred on your part. And ignorance, really.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 07/11/21 02:39 PM
rofl

Pot meet kettle.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Player News - 07/11/21 04:40 PM
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

Incorrect.

Perfect example of extremism and hatred on your part. And ignorance, really.

BS,, Tell me again what Texas has done to gun laws? Explain why just about anyone can get a gun, any kind of gun and carry it openly or covered.

Texas has fallen into complete NRA Love mode. Anything the NRA says, Texas does.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 07/11/21 04:45 PM
He's honing in on the hyperbole portion of your post. Not the actual point you were making of how many things considered as gun crimes in California would be legal in Texas. Which is true.

Gun laws very widely from state to state. Here in Tennessee you can just buy one, walk out of a gun store, load it and tuck it in your waist band. No training required! That would be illegal as hell in many states including California.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News - 07/11/21 07:52 PM
Some corpses count more than none. Any common sense way we can reduce gun deaths is a positive. You see, what you're doing is opening the door to question every accidental shooting that occurs. I don't care if it only saves 100 lives a year, 50 or even 10.

People who have never even fired a gun shouldn't be carrying one around in their waste band.

Sure, but how many do that? You seem sure that is happening. I say very few, if any do that.

You go buy a new grill, you go home and fire it up.

You buy a new weapon, you go out out and fire it up.

I am not against training. I encourage that. I am just against your position that there are multitudes of untrained yahoos running around with their new gun strapped to their side.

That is unless you are talking about the untrained gang bangers out there shooting people without taking a gun safety course.
Posted By: Dawg Duty Re: Player News - 07/11/21 09:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Sure, but how many do that? You seem sure that is happening. I say very few, if any do that.

You go buy a new grill, you go home and fire it up.

You buy a new weapon, you go out out and fire it up.

I am not against training. I encourage that. I am just against your position that there are multitudes of untrained yahoos running around with their new gun strapped to their side.

That is unless you are talking about the untrained gang bangers out there shooting people without taking a gun safety course.

Pit likes to make up stuff then talk down to people in his arrogant way. If you disagree with him he comes up with some BS link.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 07/12/21 04:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty
Pit likes to make up stuff then talk down to people in his arrogant way. If you disagree with him he comes up with some BS link.

This is what people say who refuse to even try to hold an intelligent conversation and consider any source that doesn't tell them what they want to hear as BS. Blow off the other person and refuse to listen to anything outside their little comfort box.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 07/12/21 04:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

That's an odd thing to say. I didn't say or even suggest it was a "multitudes". Would you consider even five out of one hundred a "multitude? 5%? Or is it too much of a stretch of the imagination that 5% of people would abuse a law that allows for such a thing?

We live in such a restrictive law enforced society that claims people who think differently abuse the law and the rules while when it comes to something they support they refuse to open their minds to that very same possibility.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Player News - 07/12/21 06:48 PM
With the understanding that quantifying the number of 'untrained yahoos running around with their new gun strapped to their side' is going to be pretty much impossible, it's a funny argument to make considering the story we're talking about is a guy doing just that.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 07/12/21 06:51 PM
I'm never ceased to be amazed. wink
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Player News - 07/13/21 05:30 AM

Quote:
I encourage that. I am just against your position that there are multitudes of untrained yahoos running around with their new gun strapped to their side.

These two lines of text tell us all we need to know about your mind set.
This mind set of yours totally ignores every single American news story that doesn't align with a 'Inner-city lawlessness' agenda.

What news do you consume, that you could make such a specific, emphatic distinction?
What point do you think you can credibly make, with this as your base assumption?

From coast to coast, we are deluged with a daily firehose of local stories depicting shootings that describe the very scenarios one might imagine if stupid, untrained people pulled guns out to solve their differences.

Love triangle quarrels.
Road rage shootings.
Parking lot beefs
Suicide by 'instant lead poisoning'...

... all are stories of imbalanced people with ready access to an instantly lethal device.

And we see them every single week of every single year. The overwhelming majority of these stories, from Toledo to Topeka to Tulsa to Tempe to Tallahassee to Talkeetna have nothing at all to do with "the untrained gang bangers out there."

Damn.

I never thought of You as someone who'd say just anything to get in the next dig in a conversation.
But then again, I never thought of You as someone who'd actually say something like this at all.

More fool me.

I can admit when I'm wrong.
I was wrong about you.

Live and learn.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News - 07/13/21 10:14 AM
First, gang bangers can pertain to any group. Not just urban blacks.

Second, my last several comments were pertaining to Pits inflammatory comment saying people who have never even fired a gun strapping on a weapon. My contention is few people if any go get a gun and never fire the thing before they end up shooting other people. Training isn't going to fix that.

Try to follow the conversation before insinuating I am racist or some gun nut in favor of people shooting each other.

Thanks
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 07/13/21 04:12 PM
I have found the metamorphosis to be amazing, confusing and discouraging all at the same time. I mean if this was some isolated incident as he seems to be indicating it would be one thing. But it's not. It has become a disturbing pattern as of late.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Player News - 07/14/21 04:01 PM
Richard Sherman arrested on burglary domestic violence charge

https://nypost.com/2021/07/14/richard-sh...urce=NYPTwitter

Five-time NFL Pro Bowler Richard Sherman was arrested and booked for “burglary domestic violence” in Seattle Wednesday morning, King County (Wash.) records show.

Sherman, 33, was denied bail. The incident is being investigated as a felony.

The free agent cornerback — who recently spoke of a possible return to Seattle, where he currently lives — spent the last three seasons with the San Francisco 49ers, playing under their former defensive coordinator and new Jets head coach Robert Saleh.

The NFLPA released a statement about Sherman, who is one of the vice presidents of the NFLPA executive committee.

“We were made aware of an arrest last night of one of our player leaders for an alleged domestic violence incident and have activated our domestic violence crisis protocol for the protection and support of everyone involved,” the statement read. “We will continue to monitor events closely as more facts are made available to us.”

Sherman spent his first seven NFL seasons with the Seahawks after they selected him in the fifth round of the 2011 NFL Draft and won Super Bowl XLVIII with Seattle.

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 07/14/21 04:05 PM
Being denied bail is not good at all. That's rather unusual and would take some pretty special circumstances considering the charges against him.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Player News - 07/14/21 06:14 PM
Free-agent CB Richard Sherman charged with burglary domestic violence
Published: Jul 14, 2021 at 02:07 PM
NFLShield
Around the NFL Staff
nfl.com

Free-agent cornerback Richard Sherman was arrested near Seattle on Wednesday morning and charged with burglary domestic violence, according to public records. The 33-year-old veteran was booked in King County (Wash.) Correctional Facility in Seattle at 6:08 a.m. PT and currently has been denied bail, which is standard procedure for anyone arrested on any charge related to domestic violence, per the King County Superior Court Clerk's Office.

Redmond (Wash.) police, who would not confirm the name of the individual taken into custody, said the person allegedly arrived at a family member's house early Wednesday morning and tried to force his way into the home.

According to Redmond police, when officers arrived the individual in question was outside of the house. Per police, the individual allegedly was not compliant and got into an altercation with officers. A K9 dog was deployed and he was soon after taken into custody, per police.

Redmond police said a secondary police unit, the Washington State Patrol, was also involved in the case. The State Patrol said the individual allegedly crashed a vehicle into a cement barrier, prior to reaching the house, and continued to the residence on foot.

Bail may be assigned once Sherman first appears in court, per the King County Superior Court Clerk's office.

The NFL released the following statement on Sherman:

"Free agents are eligible to sign with any team. The league investigates any incident involving law enforcement and if there is a violation of the personal conduct policy the player would be facing discipline."

The NFL Players Association released the following statement regarding Sherman, who is a vice president on the NFLPA's Executive Committee:

"We were made aware of an arrest last night of one of our player leaders for an alleged domestic violence incident and have activated our domestic violence crisis protocol for the protection and support of everyone involved. We will continue to monitor events closely as more facts are made available to us."

Sherman spent the first seven years of his career with the Seattle Seahawks. The three-time All-Pro cornerback played the last three seasons with the San Francisco 49ers. Sherman's contract expired following the 2020 season, and he is currently a free agent.

https://www.nfl.com/news/richard-sherman-arrested-burglary-domestic-violence-charge-denied-bail
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Player News - 07/14/21 08:07 PM
Being denied bail is not good at all. That's rather unusual and would take some pretty special circumstances considering the charges against him.

They won't release him until he sees a judge. He hasn't seen a judge yet.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Player News - 07/14/21 08:11 PM

Apparently "burglary domestic violence" means you get locked out of your own house because of a dispute and then break into the house.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News - 07/14/21 10:30 PM
Basically, it does.
Posted By: FATE Re: Player News - 07/15/21 01:28 PM

The domestic violence component was because it was the home of relatives... a domestic violence charge means no bail, until you see the judge, as a standard protocol.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 07/15/21 05:15 PM
Originally Posted By: FATE

The domestic violence component was because it was the home of relatives... a domestic violence charge means no bail, until you see the judge, as a standard protocol.

Yes, that's correct. That was just information they chose to leave out earlier. Once I saw that in the updated story it made more sense.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 07/15/21 06:17 PM
j/c

Dwayne Haskins' wife charged with domestic violence for reportedly punching Steelers QB

The wife of Dwayne Haskins faces a domestic violence charge for allegedly assaulting the Pittsburgh Steelers backup quarterback earlier this month in Las Vegas, per multiple reports.

Kalabrya Gondrezick-Haskins, 23, is charged with battery and domestic violence resulting in bodily harm. She reportedly punched Haskins in the mouth after a disagreement, per an arrest report cited by KLAS-TV in Las Vegas. A piece of his tooth was reportedly found on the floor of their room at The Cosmopolitan, where the incident allegedly occurred on July 3.

Haskins, 24, reportedly suffered injuries "substantial in nature." As well as the missing tooth, he had a split upper lip and more injuries to his mouth that required dental work, per the reports. He reportedly was taken to the hospital for a facial injury after police were called to the hotel room at around 2:30 a.m. local time.

The two were reportedly in town for a wedding with 14 of their friends when the altercation occurred. There were reports they had recently gotten engaged, but Gondrezick-Haskins told police they were already married on March 19 after dating for 1 1/2 years and instead were planning to renew their vows, according to KLAS-TV.

Haskins told police they had gotten into verbal arguments before, but it had never turned physical, per the report. The disagreement was over plans for social outings that night.

The Steelers signed Haskins as a backup to veteran Ben Roethlisberger after the 2019 first-round pick was released by the Washington Football Team in December. It was a rocky end for Haskins, who lost the starting job in Washington multiple times before ultimately being cut.

Gondrezick-Haskins played basketball at Michigan State and is the older sister of Kysre Gondrezick, a star guard at West Virginia who was drafted fourth overall by the WNBA's Indiana Fever.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-dwayne-hask...-124439550.html
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Player News - 07/16/21 06:32 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Player News - 07/16/21 06:34 PM

Free agent cornerback Richard Sherman is facing five misdemeanor charges after crashing his car and then attempting to break into his wife’s parents’ home.

Prosecutors charged Sherman today with criminal trespass in the second degree with a domestic-violence element, reckless endangerment of roadway crews, driving under the influence, resisting arrest and malicious mischief with a domestic-violence element, according to Mike Carter of the Seattle Times.

The driving offenses are considered more serious gross misdemeanors, punishable by up to 364 days in jail. The charges for the incident at his wife’s parents’ house are simple misdemeanors, for which he could get up to 90 days in jail.

Sherman was released from jail on Thursday and is due back in court this afternoon.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/07/16/richard-sherman-charged-with-five-misdemeanors/
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 07/16/21 06:39 PM
You know, I hate domestic violence when it occurs and support stiff penalties for such a crime. But from the reports and the video from the porch camera, I have no idea how you arrive at the conclusion that domestic violence occurred when you not only didn't strike your victim, but didn't get beyond the door to see your victim.
Posted By: cle23 Re: Player News - 07/16/21 07:13 PM
You know, I hate domestic violence when it occurs and support stiff penalties for such a crime. But from the reports and the video from the porch camera, I have no idea how you arrive at the conclusion that domestic violence occurred when you not only didn't strike your victim, but didn't get beyond the door to see your victim.

Domestic violence isn't ONLY striking someone. They barricaded themselves in her parents home, and he still tried break down the door and get inside when he obviously wasn't welcome. I also believe he had an altercation with his father-in-law.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 07/16/21 07:22 PM
Maybe there was a physical confrontation with his father in law I wasn't aware of. Maybe the door was more than "just locked". I have no real idea at this juncture. I don't consider locking your door as barricading yourself.

As of now the only thing I know he was actually violent with was a locked door.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Player News - 07/16/21 09:14 PM
Intimidation of a family member is domestic violence. Trying to break in to a family member's home while they are inside is very intimidating. Therefor his actions qualify as DV.

edited to add; Actually, criminal trespass is included in Washington's DV law.

https://statelaws.findlaw.com/washington-law/washington-domestic-violence-laws.html
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Player News - 07/16/21 09:39 PM
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
Intimidation of a family member is domestic violence. Trying to break in to a family member's home while they are inside is very intimidating. Therefor his actions qualify as DV.

edited to add; Actually, criminal trespass is included in Washington's DV law.

https://statelaws.findlaw.com/washington-law/washington-domestic-violence-laws.html

not to mention, in cases like this it is often of value to just take the person in under a given charge and get them out of the situation, even if the charge doesn't stick. The DA can always change the charges later, if need be. For the family in question, the biggest benefit is just defusing things and getting the threat removed from the situation.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 07/16/21 10:31 PM
Yeah, DA's do that a lot. charge people with charges they know won't stick to give them room to get a plea bargain.
Posted By: FATE Re: Player News - 07/16/21 10:46 PM
Maybe there was a physical confrontation with his father in law I wasn't aware of. Maybe the door was more than "just locked". I have no real idea at this juncture. I don't consider locking your door as barricading yourself.

As of now the only thing I know he was actually violent with was a locked door.

For the life of me I just don't understand how you come up with some of this stuff. That's like saying it's okay to shoot at people as long as the bullets don't hit them.

What in the world do you think would happen if he broke the door open?? Cookies and milk?

"Domestic violence" does take intent into account, and rightfully so, sort out the rest in court.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 07/17/21 03:23 PM
Shoot at someone and miss? No. Didn't get to see, aim or actually shoot at their target? Yes.

Because you can't shoot at someone if you never pulled the trigger.
Posted By: FATE Re: Player News - 07/17/21 06:02 PM
Even just threatening a family member is domestic violence. Stalking is classified as domestic violence.

Trying to bash through the door of a family member? Domestic violence. Doesn't matter if you got through the door or not.

Sorry you don't agree with the designation, it's meant to protect victims whether or not there is an actual assault. Don't like it? Run for office and change the laws.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 07/17/21 06:16 PM
Awe... The fact is it doesn't make sense.

If you never fire a gun at someone, is it attempted murder? Is it assault with a deadly weapon?

The fact that the designation doesn't make any sense has nothing to do with anything else.

I'm not a big Richard Sherman fan. I'm not personally vested in any of this. It seems as thought you have a lot more invested in this than I do. But claiming someone committed violence against someone else when no such thing occurred is moronic.
Posted By: FATE Re: Player News - 07/17/21 06:24 PM
Now I have something invested in this? You are off your rocker bro lmao. Sorry a law meant to protect the innocent is "moronic" to you, but that's not going to change the law. It's not just meant to punish violence, it's also meant to dissuade people from even trying. I know you're having a hard time wrapping your mind around the whole thing, I've already explained it so any three year old can understand, not going to argue all day because you can't.

Again, run for office.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 07/17/21 06:33 PM
For the life of me I just don't understand how you come up with some of this stuff. That's like saying it's okay to shoot at people as long as the bullets don't hit them.

I've used your own analogy several times and you refuse to address it. Wouldn't a potential shooting victim be just as much in need of such a protection?

Quote:
It's not just meant to punish violence, it's also meant to dissuade people from even trying.

So according to your own analogy, anyone trying to break down a door in anger who is carrying a gun should be charged with what? Attempted murder? Shooting a weapon at someone?

I totally understand what you're saying about detouring people from committing violent crime. It's not complicated. What you don't seem to understand that even in your own analogy, that isn't normally the way the law works.

What someone might have done, could have done or what you think would do, isn't something they did. It seems you're the one having a problem wrapping your mind around that.
Posted By: FATE Re: Player News - 07/17/21 06:58 PM

He tried to bust through the door of a family member.

That will result in a domestic violence charge.

That's the law.

You don't like it.

Pound salt.

I can't think of anything more boring than arguing with you because you didn't like my analogy.

Get your last word and move on.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Player News - 07/17/21 07:11 PM
I would encourage pit to go outside, walk or drive to, say, a gas station, then pull out his gun. Even if empty, pull it out. Fire no shots. Find out what happens. He won't be charged with murder, but he will be charged.

But, you know who you're talking to.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 07/17/21 07:14 PM
Thanks for avoiding anything to defend your gun analogy and conveniently overlooking the point that no violence was inflicted on a human being.

You see, you seem to consider a debate an argument. The thing is you've actually refused to debate even your own analogy. But that's okay, I understand why.

I don't really care if the law is changed or what the law is. It's obvious to see that the law does not depict the act of which one is accused of in this and I'm sure many other cases.

When people start saying things like "You can't wrap your mind around it", "If you don't like it run for office" and "pound salt", they no longer wish to discuss anything. They have decided to avoid discussion by stooping into being condescending.

Thanks.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 07/17/21 07:18 PM
I would encourage pit to go outside, walk or drive to, say, a gas station, then pull out his gun. Even if empty, pull it out. Fire no shots. Find out what happens. He won't be charged with murder, but he will be charged.

But, you know who you're talking to.

So what did Sheldon Richardson "pull out"? That's the entire point here. There are gun laws for when you brandish a weapon. What should the law be when you have no weapon? Or do you, someone who usually supports most rights, think having your hands with you constitutes having a weapon?

What "domestic violence" was committed?

You see, if I keep that same gun in my waist band and never pull it out, no crime was committed.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Player News - 07/17/21 07:21 PM
Fate didn't write the law in Seattle, or Washington.

I'm fairly certain the prosecutor knows the laws better than you.

Might those charges get reduced as this plays out? Of course. But right now you're arguing just to argue. Imagine that.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 07/17/21 08:47 PM
Once again, when your point falls flat you accuse someone of arguing. That's how it works with you.

You see, I haven't stated that's not the law. I haven't stated I know the law better than anyone. Those are just the kind of things people make up when they can't really come up with a point to counter the question being presented.

I'm simply asking what Richard Sherman "did" that was violence inflicted on someone? What violence did he perpetrate on a family member? That's questioning how you can call trying to break through a door as an act of violence on someone else.

I certainly agree that it's a criminal act. I agree that it fits into the definition of what is considered domestic violence as the law stands. The question is simply why is that? Because according to what the tape shows he never even had a face to face meeting or saw anyone to commit violence against because he never got through the door.

So no, unlike the picture you're trying to portray, you don't have an answer or even a reasonable reply to that question and only wish to try and finger point at something that seems like a rather logical question.

Sometimes people get caught up in social issues and make laws extreme. Let's take DUI's as an example. I don't wish to see or allow anyone who is intoxicated risk the lives of others on our highways. But different people drink differently. Because he's such a good sport I'll use GM as an example. Or even myself back when I used to drink.

Do you think if he or I drank three or four beers we would be too impaired to drive? Me back then, not now. You see, they used to have a common sense way of determining that. A field sobriety test. It was an easy way to determine of the alcohol in your system was effecting your motor skills to the point you were unsafe to drive.

Now, if you have four beers, you are guilty. I can tell you for a fact that alcohol does not effect everyone who drinks that amount the same. I know people that if you didn't smell the alcohol on them, you would have no idea they drank anything. Yet others would be obviously impaired. So laws are sometimes made that aren't correct. There isn't as one size fits all solution according to drinking four beers on who is impaired and who isn't. But a group called MADD created such a stir about DUI laws that a law which in no way answers the question of whether one is impaired or nor was created.

I feel the very same way about a domestic violence law where no actual violence was inflicted on someone is still labeled as violence.

Now if you would like to engage in an actual debate I would like that. However, you trying to act as though there isn't an actual point there is beneath you. Well, maybe not.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Player News - 07/17/21 09:04 PM

I'm simply asking what Richard Sherman "did" that was violence inflicted on someone? What violence did he perpetrate on a family member? That's questioning how you can call trying to break through a door as an act of violence on someone else.

Violence doesn't need to be physical. One can do damage to another with emotional violence. Causing a family to fear for their safety, or for the safety of loved ones, has more impact than the same violence from a non-family member. What violence did he inflict? The terror of what damage an enraged professional athlete could do if he got through that door.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Player News - 07/17/21 10:46 PM
The city he was in, and the state, make the laws. Not you, not I. He got charged with what the P.A. felt was a legit charge.

As for the rest of your rambling about dui's, some correct, some very incorrect.

Your whole stance has been "I didn't see any domestic violence", while you don't even know the laws.
Posted By: FATE Re: Player News - 07/18/21 02:29 AM
It's Pit's world, we're all just living in it. thumbsup
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Player News - 07/18/21 01:43 PM
Once again, when your point falls flat you accuse someone of arguing. That's how it works with you.

You see, I haven't stated that's not the law. I haven't stated I know the law better than anyone. Those are just the kind of things people make up when they can't really come up with a point to counter the question being presented.

I certainly agree that it's a criminal act. I agree that it fits into the definition of what is considered domestic violence as the law stands. The question is simply why is that? Because according to what the tape shows he never even had a face to face meeting or saw anyone to commit violence against because he never got through the door.

So no, unlike the picture you're trying to portray, you don't have an answer or even a reasonable reply to that question and only wish to try and finger point at something that seems like a rather logical question.

Sometimes people get caught up in social issues and make laws extreme. Let's take DUI's as an example. I don't wish to see or allow anyone who is intoxicated risk the lives of others on our highways. But different people drink differently. Because he's such a good sport I'll use GM as an example. Or even myself back when I used to drink.

Do you think if he or I drank three or four beers we would be too impaired to drive? Me back then, not now. You see, they used to have a common sense way of determining that. A field sobriety test. It was an easy way to determine of the alcohol in your system was effecting your motor skills to the point you were unsafe to drive.

Now, if you have four beers, you are guilty. I can tell you for a fact that alcohol does not effect everyone who drinks that amount the same. I know people that if you didn't smell the alcohol on them, you would have no idea they drank anything. Yet others would be obviously impaired. So laws are sometimes made that aren't correct. There isn't as one size fits all solution according to drinking four beers on who is impaired and who isn't. But a group called MADD created such a stir about DUI laws that a law which in no way answers the question of whether one is impaired or nor was created.

I feel the very same way about a domestic violence law where no actual violence was inflicted on someone is still labeled as violence.

Now if you would like to engage in an actual debate I would like that. However, you trying to act as though there isn't an actual point there is beneath you. Well, maybe not.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this message board is now dumber for having read it.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Player News - 07/18/21 01:44 PM

You've been on this message board a long time. It's had to have taught you that you can't argue with stupid.
Posted By: FATE Re: Player News - 07/18/21 02:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

You've been on this message board a long time. It's had to have taught you that you can't argue with stupid.

Well, sometimes it's fun to watch people double-down on stupid.

Pit is crafty, arguing with him is a chess match. Unfortunately, once his king is cornered, he can't just lay him down and say "good match", instead, he flips the board and insists we were playing backgammon. I assume there has to be some comedic value for those reading along. wink
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Player News - 07/18/21 02:30 PM
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

Violence doesn't need to be physical. One can do damage to another with emotional violence. Causing a family to fear for their safety, or for the safety of loved ones, has more impact than the same violence from a non-family member. What violence did he inflict? The terror of what damage an enraged professional athlete could do if he got through that door.
This. It's not that hard to understand.

As to the comedic value that this thread has turned into, I'm chuckling that the same guy who couldn't seem to stand any sort of debate regarding the rules behind the Josh Gordon debate now wants to question DV laws in Washington. Those were the laws at the time, and he broke them.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 07/18/21 03:08 PM
Actually it's not different at all. In both cases I admit they hold guilt. In both cases I think the rules, and in this case law is not quite accurate. I don't think that weed should be considered a banned substance in the NFL. But it is.

I don't think beating up a door should be considered domestic violence. But it is. But nobody thinks of you beating up a door when they hear someone was convicted of domestic violence. They just don't.

I'm not advocating he not be convicted of is crime. Just like I also advocate Josh Gordon be punished for his repeated infractions.

And one thing is for sure, Richard Sherman has not committed domestic violence four or five times.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 07/18/21 03:09 PM

Nobody is arguing with you.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 07/18/21 03:25 PM
Well, sometimes it's fun to watch people double-down on stupid.

We watch you do it all the time.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 07/18/21 03:27 PM
Everyone on this message board is now dumber for having read it.

In your case I had no idea that was humanly possible. I guess you learn something new every day.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Player News - 07/18/21 04:38 PM

Nobody is arguing with you.

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 07/18/21 04:44 PM
Just continuing with the current theme of the thread which has been established by others. naughtydevil

Try and keep up.
Posted By: FATE Re: Player News - 07/18/21 04:47 PM
Ehhh... not really, basically you were telling Rish that no one was even talking to him, I guess to infer that he should sit down and shut up.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 07/18/21 04:50 PM
Sure sure. Could you please show the first post by rish in this thread? There you go.

I'll help you put with that...

Quote:
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this message board is now dumber for having read it.

You may wish to view his second response referring to me before I ever responded to him. So don't sit here and act like he didn't have it coming.

I'm never intimidated by your kind. If you don't like going toe to toe, don't strap on the gloves.

If personal attacks are allowed by you and your kind, you're going to get as well as you give.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Player News - 07/18/21 09:18 PM
Wife charged with domestic violence for reportedly punching steelers Qb.
( Well it does kind of roll of the tongue.)

The word Steelers fits like a piece to a puzzle in that sentence, better than even bengals or broncos.

"In town for a wedding with 14 of their friends when the altercation occurred" <- that's never gone poorly before?
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Player News - 07/18/21 09:30 PM
Quote:

Good Luck in America.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News - 07/18/21 10:37 PM
Being charged with domestic violence doesn't have to mean physical harm.

It can be intimidation, humiliation, willfully frighten, manipulation, among other actions of that nature.

Trying to break down a door in a drunken rage would qualify. Sherman didn't need to slap her around to be charged.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 07/19/21 04:03 PM
I understand that. Once again, I don't understand why the law is written that way. Let me give you an example here. Even if you took the domestic violence charges off the table he still committed other crimes in that action. Attempted breaking and entering. Disorderly conduct and I'm sure there are more. So why would you make more laws against what he did when there were already laws on the books to charge him with for what he did?

Let me give you a topic where you may understand my thought process a little better. Anti gun people wish to make gun laws more restrictive. They want to create new laws and make background checks more stringent.

Do you know what gun proponents say? "There are already laws on the books that cover gun laws and background checks. We don't need more laws. Just enforce the laws on the books."

Hopefully that will help clear things up for you.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be charged and or convicted of domestic violence if the prosecutor moves forward with those charges and can prove his case. That's the way the law works. I'm not excusing his actions. I'm saying that there were already laws on the books that covered his actions he could have been prosecuted for so I don't see the need for laws that are simply repetitive.

And we both know if anyone sees or finds out you have a domestic violence conviction, they think you did a lot more than beat up a door.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Player News - 07/19/21 04:33 PM
I understand that. Once again, I don't understand why the law is written that way. Let me give you an example here. Even if you took the domestic violence charges off the table he still committed other crimes in that action. Attempted breaking and entering. Disorderly conduct and I'm sure there are more. So why would you make more laws against what he did when there were already laws on the books to charge him with for what he did?

If it were some random drunk guy pounding on the door, then DV charges wouldn't apply. But it was Mrs. Sherman's husband, a man who she trusts for her protection and well-being, with whom she has shared parental, familial, and legal obligations. In the moment of the incident, what happens to that trust? Can she really trust him for her safety if he's the treat? How can she trust that future incidents won't compromise their shared responsibilities?

These are specific ways in which the potential for emotional injury exceed the same behavior from a stranger. While yes, the lessor charges apply to the specific actions, they don't address the increased potential for emotional injury the comes from the intimacy of their relationship.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News - 07/19/21 07:31 PM
j/c:

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News - 07/20/21 01:27 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News - 07/20/21 02:45 PM
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Player News - 07/20/21 03:47 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Ouch.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News - 07/20/21 06:42 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Player News - 07/20/21 06:47 PM

Short and Geno Atkins both recently got cleared to play. I wouldn’t mind taking a look at either of those guys.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Player News - 07/20/21 07:52 PM
I can guarantee you that our FO is way ahead of us on that, and have already decided whether or not to take a deeper look.
Posted By: FATE Re: Player News - 07/20/21 07:54 PM
Yep, those names have been on a list for months.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 07/20/21 07:54 PM
And it's a great feeling to know that.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News - 07/20/21 08:07 PM
I understand that. Once again, I don't understand why the law is written that way. Let me give you an example here.

It has been explained to you. I don't care about your examples because your examples don't matter.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 07/21/21 02:54 PM
I know, you're the "it is what it is" guy and any discussion beyond that is meaningless to you. Carry on.....
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News - 07/21/21 04:32 PM
I will. I don't see any point in discussing your hypothetical examples. I am not trying to be short.

It is what it is. Call your state and federal officials and try to get the laws changed.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 07/21/21 04:51 PM
Actually I thought the discussion was over until you brought it back up. But hey, you have every right to do so.

rofl
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News - 07/21/21 10:51 PM
Good. The discussion is over.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Player News - 07/26/21 02:57 PM
Vikings rookie shot 4 times in DC

Minnesota Vikings rookie Jaylen Twyman is in a hospital recovering after being shot four times in Washington, D.C.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Twyman — a sixth-round pick in the 2021 NFL Draft — was in a car and visiting his aunt when he was shot multiple times.

His agent, Drew Rosenhaus, reportedly told Schefter that Twyman won't need surgery but has superficial wounds, calling it a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Vikings’ rookie DT Jaylen Twyman was shot four times while visiting an aunt in Washington DC. “Wrong place, wrong time,” said his agent Drew Rosenhaus. “In talking to him today, he’s going to be OK - that’s all that matters. We’re thankful he’s OK. He will make a full recovery.”

Fortunately, Twyman is expected to make a full recovery.

The Vikings released the following statement to 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS:

"Minnesota Vikings defensive tackle Jaylen Twyman was one of several victims wounded during a shooting in Washington, DC, today. We have been in direct contact with Jaylen and his family, and we are extremely thankful Jaylen is expected to make a full recovery. At this time we will defer any further comment to the proper authorities."

https://kstp.com/minnesota-sports/vikings-rookie-jaylen-twyman-shot-in-dc-june-21-2021/6148050/

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News - 08/06/21 05:28 PM
j/c:

Posted By: The Collector Re: Player News - 08/06/21 05:45 PM
Seeing some really bad takes on TV about the reason why the front office haven't signed Baker to an extension yet and stuff.

I will always go with the easiest of em all. Is that they're just waiting to see the other shoes to drop.. Like Allen. And Jackson.

I'd expect the talks to now start heating up since Allen's extension has gone through
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 08/06/21 06:22 PM
If by "they" you mean Baker and his agent I would agree. The price tag for QB's has been increasing beyond belief. I don't believe waiting gave the Browns any advantage at all. But it may have very well have given Baker an advantage.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Player News - 08/06/21 06:58 PM
I’m not completely sold on Allen. He’s been better than I’ve expected but the AFC Championship game showed me everything about him I don’t like. He’ll likely continue to put up good numbers but I see him relying on his legs too quickly and I don’t see great decision making happening at crucial moments. That’s concerning. He’s still a top young prospect don’t get me wrong. I’m just not overly impressed.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Player News - 08/06/21 07:26 PM

When that draft class was entering the draft I spent months crunching tape like it was my decision.

I really liked Allen but felt he had the furthest to go in development. In a breakdown I did. I said if you have patience with him knowing he will make mistakes. And, you stick with him. He will have the biggest upside.

At the same time I also felt he could bust. He was really raw. Had the big arm and frame. I loved his toughness. But he was inconsistent with accuracy and his decision making may take a long time to learn the NFL defenses.

He really improved last year. He worked with Jordan Palmer in the off season. He actually changed his arm angle. He dropped it to 3/4 and his accuracy improved.

However, I understand the lack of trust. Now everyone has put him into the elite room. This will be big year for him. Like Baker and Browns big time expectations.

Now he signs a huge deal. We shall see.

Seems like people are in a rush to judgement.

Posted By: FATE Re: Player News - 08/06/21 08:08 PM
j/c...

Josh Allen has busted his butt to become one of the best QBs in the league... and still has the highest ceiling. I predicted then and expect still now, that he will be the best QB in that class. I would love to be proven wrong by Baker Mayfield.

Accuracy has improved tremendously, decision making much better, cannon for an arm that can release missiles and bombs from any angle. Last year it became evident that he can adjust his velocity and throw with perfect touch and loft whenever he needs to. Running in the open field -- he looks like Gronk -- and he will run over you and laugh about it. 3rd and short = 1st down, even while the whole world knows what's coming.

I just call him Paul Bunyan.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Player News - 08/06/21 09:14 PM

Teams have capologists so I don't stress over contracts.

But from what little I know guaranteed money is the important number.

These contracts get manipulated all the time.

In regards to Baker.

Some of the things I read like "Bart Scott" and others I just shake my head.

"He has to prove he can win from the pocket with the game on the line"? What? Why? If you can win what difference does it matter?

"He is the weak link because Cleveland is a run base offense." What? Does Baker draw up the play book? Does Baker call the plays?

If a team has two runners as good as Chubb/Hunt. Why would you not give them the ball?

"He played well the second half of last year. I need to see if he can take it to the next level."

If I hear in any context about taking it to the next level. I may hurl.

Quarterbacks play in systems. An offensive scheme designed to maximise the talent on the team. All quarterbacks are system quarterbacks. Lamar is a system quarterback.
Peyton and Brady were and are system quarterbacks. They all run a designed system.

Peyton was unique because he really became a on the field coach. He could break a defense down by sight. He ran the offense.

You don't do that overnight.

Baker will get his contract with Cleveland. It will be a good deal for both parties.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News - 08/06/21 11:16 PM
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
I’m not completely sold on Allen. He’s been better than I’ve expected but the AFC Championship game showed me everything about him I don’t like. He’ll likely continue to put up good numbers but I see him relying on his legs too quickly and I don’t see great decision making happening at crucial moments. That’s concerning. He’s still a top young prospect don’t get me wrong. I’m just not overly impressed.

Maybe so, but it doesn't really matter. Baker and his agent will use that as a starting point.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 08/07/21 05:52 PM
And if Lamar signs before Baker they'll use that contract in their negotiations as well. As I said before, the only one that gains by waiting for Baker to sign is Baker.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News - 08/19/21 05:46 PM
j/c:

Dang.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News - 08/19/21 08:19 PM
j/c:

Dang.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that Achilles injuries are more common then even 10 years ago.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Player News - 08/19/21 08:49 PM
Could Achilles injuries be a byproduct of better nutrition and lower body fat content among a group all around set. A guess.
Posted By: Dave Re: Player News - 08/19/21 09:30 PM
Its like the oblique muscle injuries in baseball. It seems like training has trended increasingly towards strength and away from flexibility. Less weights and more stretching might be a good thing for athletes in all the sports.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Player News - 08/20/21 12:04 AM
It's not just the flexibility, either. Attachment tissue, tendons and ligaments, take longer to increase in strength vs large muscles. That's why people on the juice were susceptible to pec and biceps tears. The tears don't actually occur in the muscle, they occur where the muscle attaches to the bone. The way players can pile on over 10lbs of muscle in one offseason, I'm surprised we don't see even more injuries.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Player News - 08/20/21 10:34 AM
Originally Posted By: jfanent
It's not just the flexibility, either. Attachment tissue, tendons and ligaments, take longer to increase in strength vs large muscles. That's why people on the juice were susceptible to pec and biceps tears. The tears don't actually occur in the muscle, they occur where the muscle attaches to the bone. The way players can pile on over 10lbs of muscle in one offseason, I'm surprised we don't see even more injuries.

I can pack on 10 lbs on a 5 day cruise. :), well pre-covid
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Player News - 08/20/21 09:14 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News - 08/26/21 01:11 PM
j/c:

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Player News - 08/26/21 02:26 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News - 08/26/21 02:40 PM
Didn't Beasley wear a mask but was sent home (even though he has tested negative) after being near a trainer who did?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Player News - 08/26/21 02:44 PM
The eye in the sky got him on that five step walk...

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News - 08/28/21 02:24 PM
j/c:

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Player News - 08/29/21 04:49 PM
j/c...

In a meaningless preseason game.

Posted By: oobernoober Re: Player News - 08/30/21 02:42 AM
Especially considering their offense is set and have many of the same guys (I do think they have a couple new Olinemen, but that's it).

I'm curious how that math works out in terms of what was gained vs what was lost.
Posted By: FATE Re: Player News - 08/31/21 02:17 PM
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Player News - 08/31/21 02:40 PM
Not so much surprised that Cam was cut, but moreso that now Patriots hopes and dreams lies in Mac Jones' hands. It'll be really interesting to see how this works out, given Belicheck now has 'his guy' at QB.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Player News - 08/31/21 02:44 PM
I’m surprised that they kept Hoyer as the backup over Newton.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Player News - 08/31/21 02:45 PM
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 08/31/21 07:32 PM
There are two trains of thought on this. Some would say that if you still have the former starter on your roster that the new QB will constantly be looking over his shoulder. That he doesn't think the team is confident in his abilities to run the team. That getting rid of your former starter will stop any division among other members of the team on which QB they support.

Others say it's more important to keep the best remaining QB on your roster. That getting rid of Cam over Hoyer isn't correct because they think Cam is better than Hoyer.

But then one needs to consider what you think an NFL team will realistically pay their back up QB. But don't ask the 49'ers that question. wink
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News - 08/31/21 08:46 PM
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News - 09/01/21 10:44 AM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I’m surprised that they kept Hoyer as the backup over Newton.

Not me. Think about it.

If you are going fresh, you throw out the stale bread, and Cam would be stale bread in NE.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Player News - 09/06/21 01:04 AM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Player News - 09/14/21 08:23 PM
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Player News - 09/14/21 09:12 PM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Oh dear God.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Player News - 09/14/21 10:12 PM

Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Player News - 09/14/21 11:43 PM

Oh dear God.

At some point, enough is enough..... right??
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News - 09/15/21 12:16 AM
Deja vu
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Player News - 09/15/21 11:12 AM

We gotta get that ..... oh hell never mind willynilly
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Player News - 09/15/21 02:27 PM
It gets more of an eye-roll out of me than a big laugh, but more to your point I think it's great that this really isn't the Browns' problem anymore.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Player News - 09/15/21 03:28 PM
Is there and over/under on how long it will be until the next suspension?

2 months, is my guess...
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Player News - 09/15/21 04:29 PM
There has to come a point where teams look at Gordon and say, "Belichick couldn't get him to fly straight, and neither could Carroll." He's talented, but he's also 30 years old, with a long track record of failed drug tests. He entered the league in 2012, and in his career he has only 1 16 game season. In fact, he has missed 3 of the past 6 seasons altogether.

Some team may take a flyer on him, but that team is just setting themselves up for disappointment.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Player News - 09/15/21 04:44 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
There has to come a point where teams look at Gordon and say, "Belichick couldn't get him to fly straight, and neither could Carroll." He's talented, but he's also 30 years old, with a long track record of failed drug tests. He entered the league in 2012, and in his career he has only 1 16 game season. In fact, he has missed 3 of the past 6 seasons altogether.

Some team may take a flyer on him, but that team is just setting themselves up for disappointment.

Yeah, I think the ship sailed on him a long time ago. It's a sad, disappointing story. He could have gone done as an all-time great. I really think players, teams, and the league could learn from his story.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 09/15/21 06:06 PM
This really doesn't mean that much. It's just the players union claiming he's done what he needs to do in order to play. Godell still has to clear him. That could taker a very long time if ever.

If BB couldn't straighten him out I doubt anyone can. In the the words of Mr. T, anyone who signs Gordon if and when Goodell clears him? "I pity the fool."
Posted By: jaybird Re: Player News - 09/16/21 02:17 AM
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
Is there and over/under on how long it will be until the next suspension?

2 months, is my guess...

only way he gets over is if they throw out weed as a violation
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Player News - 09/24/21 06:41 PM
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 09/24/21 06:57 PM
Just saw that. Even a cat only has nine lives but I guess you can't give someone a lifetime ban for being a moron.

I wonder what the over and under is in Vegas on how long he will go until he is suspended again?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Player News - 09/24/21 08:51 PM

And will be suspended again by week 8. crazy
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Player News - 09/24/21 10:45 PM
It would be a real shame if some court in the USA made it in a divorce type settlement that he couldn't afford to eat or pay his bills unless he is pulling in an NFL game check, or equvilant huge summ of money.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Player News - 09/24/21 11:42 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Player News - 09/26/21 11:54 AM

Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Player News - 09/30/21 12:53 AM

Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Player News - 10/27/21 10:14 PM
Is this high school footage of JOK?

Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Player News - 10/27/21 11:16 PM
Oh my
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 10/28/21 04:37 PM
saywhat ooo
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Player News - 04/09/22 03:06 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Player News - 04/09/22 03:09 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Player News - 04/09/22 03:10 PM
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Player News - 04/09/22 03:12 PM
Prayers for His Family ...
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 04/09/22 03:14 PM
Man! When something like this happens to a kid so young it takes a while for it to really sink in.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Player News - 04/09/22 03:22 PM
You just never know when your time will come. God calls when He calls, in His time, for His purposes.

I pray for God's comfort upon his family, teammates, and friends. RIP Dwayne.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Player News - 04/09/22 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan
You just never know when your time will come. God calls when He calls, in His time, for His purposes.

I pray for God's comfort upon his family, teammates, and friends. RIP Dwayne.

HEBREWS 9:27 "And as it is appointed unto man once to die, after that comes the judgement."
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: Player News - 04/09/22 04:24 PM
May you Rest In Peace Mr. Dwayne Haskins

On a side note, my grade school best friend, 1 year older than me, was riding his bike to his summer job south on Rt. 306 at Lost Nation Golf Course. Being one year behind him due to age, our gradeschool started a day or 4 earlier than he did just starting highschool. As us kids were getting ready for school I can still vividly remember my father looking out of a back of the house window and saying "there must have been an accident" on Rt 306(right near what is/was Wyatts Greenhouse). We all saw the cherries on the ambulance and police cars. Not knowing what happened and whilst waiting at the top of the street for the bus, his family car came by. New them very well. Not a wave or smile from them. I can still remember their faces.

A car passing another car hit him head on. Gotta be, give or take, 50 years ago.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Player News - 06/05/22 03:43 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Player News - 06/05/22 05:59 PM
Posted By: FATE Re: Player News - 06/22/22 05:39 PM
For lack of a better spot, I'll drop this here... hilarious.

Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Player News - 07/07/22 02:52 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Player News - 07/07/22 04:15 PM
NFL'S DAVID MOORE
ARRESTED
... After Allegedly Falling Asleep In Taco Bell Drive-Thru

https://www.tmz.com/2022/07/07/nfl-...drug-and-weapon-charges/?adid=social-twa

NFL wide receiver David Moore -- who just signed a contract with the Chicago Bears this offseason -- was arrested this month after he allegedly fell asleep in a Taco Bell drive-thru, TMZ Sports has learned.

According to the Gainesville Police Dept., officers found Moore asleep in the driver's seat of a 2018 Ford F250 at the local fast-food joint at around 11:18 PM on July 3.

Cops say they were able to make contact with Moore -- and claim he smelled of weed during questioning.

An ensuing search, police say, revealed he had "a package of THC edible candies along with three pistols" in his car. Moore was arrested for possession of a controlled substance and unlawful carrying of weapons.

Records show Moore was booked into Cooke County, Texas jail on July 4 ... on the weapon and drug charges. The records show he bonded out a short time later.

Moore -- who's from Gainesville, Texas -- was selected by the Seattle Seahawks in the 7th round of the 2017 NFL Draft, and quickly became a reliable target for Russell Wilson.

In four seasons with the 'Hawks, he recorded 78 catches for 1,163 yards and 13 TDs.

He later went on to play for the Panthers, Raiders, Broncos and Packers -- before signing with Chicago in April.

Moore is now the third Bear to run into legal trouble this offseason -- receiver Byron Pringle was jailed in April, while linebacker Matt Adams was just arrested last month.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Player News - 07/17/22 03:14 AM
Posted By: hitt Re: Player News - 07/18/22 05:56 PM
Glad the Browns are making NO NOISE during the off season, except for the DW continuing issues. Go Browns!!!
Posted By: jaybird Re: Player News - 07/19/22 03:54 AM
Good race! Really close!
Posted By: Floquinho Re: Player News - 08/15/22 11:09 AM

I was standing in front of my computer dancing and singing with him...
Posted By: bonefish Re: Player News - 08/15/22 12:36 PM
That is so awesome.

I love the kind of stuff. That is what makes sports fun. Young men goofing on each other.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Player News - 08/15/22 12:56 PM
LOL.........that was awesome!!!
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Player News - 08/15/22 02:53 PM
I don't know if it was pointed out on here or elsewhere, but the dude in front who no-look catches someone's thrown shirt and then starts twirling it was incredible.
Posted By: FATE Re: Player News - 08/15/22 05:24 PM
THAT... was the coolest thing I've seen in awhile!

Thanks for posting. wink
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Player News - 08/15/22 05:38 PM
Does anyone remember the skit the rookie WR for the Browns did where he was impersonating Jarvis Landry on Hard Knocks? I don't think the dude made the team, but that was one of the funniest things I ever saw. "Contagious."
Posted By: bonefish Re: Player News - 08/15/22 10:15 PM
One of the reasons I enjoy "Building the Browns" is just watching players having some fun.

The way the media covers every microscopic thing that happens. And how serious they make everything sound.

These are still young guys who like to have fun and enjoy what they do.

Posted By: Floquinho Re: Player News - 08/15/22 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by bonefish
One of the reasons I enjoy "Building the Browns" is just watching players having some fun.

The way the media covers every microscopic thing that happens. And how serious they make everything sound.

These are still young guys who like to have fun and enjoy what they do.

Every HC must just love these sorts of moments.

In less than a couple of minutes a big powerful rookie with some simple beats, lame moves and a girly voice creates more togetherness and camaraderie then what some teams hardly get in a whole month of practice. The set up with rookie traditions can sometimes go either way but this time HC Dan Campbell was drawing a jackpot and the abrupt build up with a nervous young giant who was forced to perform outside his comfort zone was just like a perfect movie. From the end of the boring slide show to Campbell’s dry and concise “Hutch! Get up here and give us some f%#king song” until the crescendo when the whole group was cheering, dancing and singing together.

From a leadership perspective it’s a wonderful moment when everyone is on the top of the mountain and experience a few seconds of magic. Suddenly everything they do together make sense because nothing trumps when people become friends and find togetherness.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News - 08/16/22 09:50 AM
That was pretty cool
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Player News - 08/24/22 06:05 PM
Posted By: FATE Re: Player News - 08/26/22 07:09 PM
For lack of a better place...

I think it's pretty awesome that Myles participates to the fullest in things he is really passionate about, rather than the typical "window dressing" type community stuff.

Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Player News - 08/27/22 05:45 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Player News - 09/14/22 11:32 PM
This seems messed-up.

Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Player News - 09/15/22 01:17 AM
That's been news for a week or so. Farve got a million or so for speeches he never gave. Some politician(s) apparently paid him out of a fund for those in need. It's unclear rather he knew that's what the money was for or not. He has paid the money back but will not be cleared until they have the whole story. Mississippi good ole boy crap going to bite them in the butt.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Player News - 09/15/22 03:02 PM
I dunno, kind of seems like it's being made into a bigger deal than it is to me. The government re-allocates funds all the time. State funds paying for improvements at a state school doesn't seem that nefarious to me. Now if Brett was using the funds to pay for personal stuff that'd be a different story. The money had to come from somewhere in the budget, and where it came from wasn't really Favre's decision. The optics have been made bad, but what ill will there is should be directed more at the politicians to me. Definitely could have picked a better place to re-allocate the funds from.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Player News - 09/15/22 04:03 PM
Why is it being channeled through Favre?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 09/15/22 04:45 PM
Actually the only damning thing I can see as it related to Favre is that he knew he was getting paid for appearances he didn't make. Obviously that's not good but it's not as nefarious as they make it sound.

The government re-allocates funds all the time.

Of course they do. But there's a process for that. The governor can't just arbitrarily take funds for one purpose and do as he pleases with it. I think that's the biggest issue in all of this.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Player News - 09/15/22 04:56 PM
Since his daughter plays volleyball there, I'm guessing he's a member of the Southern Miss Women's Volleyball booster club. Raising funds is what booster clubs do. Was it channeled through Favre or just at his behest? As far as I can tell, the money all went straight to USM. Even the Favre being paid for things (speeches/ads) he didn't do semi-separate story appear to have been paid to the school for the new volleyball facility fund rather than him directly.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Player News - 09/15/22 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Actually the only damning thing I can see as it related to Favre is that he knew he was getting paid for appearances he didn't make. Obviously that's not good but it's not as nefarious as they make it sound.

The government re-allocates funds all the time.

Of course they do. But there's a process for that. The governor can't just arbitrarily take funds for one purpose and do as he pleases with it. I think that's the biggest issue in all of this.

Definitely kind of sketchy/questionable, but there was supposed to be a wellness clinic (and may actually be one) included in the new facility which allowed it to tap into the welfare bucket. Were these funds dedicated to the "welfare program," or were they discretionary funds to be used for state "welfare" projects? It's unclear with all the twisting that goes on in the media and the associated partisan wrangling to figure out what exactly went down.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 09/15/22 05:23 PM
I understand the point you're trying to make. If you're actually interested it has been in the news for quite some time now and I'm quite sure the details would be easy to find. But from reading both of our posts on the topic it appears neither of us see it as something serious enough to explore.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Player News - 09/18/22 02:49 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Player News - 10/24/22 11:35 PM
This is a touching story and it shows that there are some really good guys playing in the NFL. The bad stories get the attention most times. It's nice to see this story about the Bears' David Montgomery and a little boy w/a heart ailment.

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Player News - 10/28/22 03:17 PM
j/c...

Tom and Gisele divorce is finalized.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1586010589943705600
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Player News - 11/03/22 03:34 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News - 11/03/22 05:16 PM
Rip Ray Guy
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Player News - 11/03/22 05:20 PM
RIP Ray Guy, the greatest punter ever.
Posted By: FrankZ Re: Player News - 11/03/22 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan
RIP Ray Guy, the greatest punter ever.

Well he was no Scottish Hammer. laugh

RIP Ray Guy and thank you for the highlights.
Posted By: FATE Re: Player News - 11/03/22 09:00 PM
Dude's leg overshadowed the fact that he was also a great athlete/player. I mean, I get it, his leg also made him GOAT. I doubt we'll ever see anyone better.

Posted By: FATE Re: Player News - 11/03/22 09:01 PM
This says it all...

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Player News - 11/14/22 05:59 PM
j/c:

Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Player News - 11/14/22 10:24 PM
Just horrible to see this stuff continue. Prayers for the families, friends, and teammates of all those impacted by this brutal act.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 11/18/22 03:17 PM
This isn't actually "player news" but I didn't think it deserved its own thread and wasn't sure where to post it.....

Titans OC Todd Downing arrested after win over Packers

The Tennessee Titans cruised to a fairly easy win over the Green Bay Packers on Thursday night, and one member of the team may have gone a bit overboard while celebrating the victory.

Titans offensive coordinator Todd Downing was arrested early Friday morning after the team returned to Nashville. Police records show that he was charged with driving under the influence and speeding.

Downing had a great game plan in Tennessee’s 27-17 win over the Packers. Green Bay has one of the better pass defenses in the NFL, but the Titans were able to exploit it with a good balance of Derrick Henry runs and play-action passes. Ryan Tannehill completed an efficient 22-of-27 passes for 333 yards, two touchdowns and one ill-advised interception in the fourth quarter.

Titans head coach Mike Vrabel promoted Downing to offensive coordinator last season after Arthur Smith was hired as head coach of the Atlanta Falcons. Downing was previously Tennessee’s tight ends coach.

https://larrybrownsports.com/footba...NCZu2Ucbph2Bb0BkISPgvKDbIoYdp8ZzbskuMD_s
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 11/23/22 08:23 PM
Seven Michigan State Football Players Charged After Tunnel Incident

Seven Michigan State football players are facing charges stemming from the Michigan Stadium tunnel incident last month.

After the Wolverines’ 29–7 win over the Spartans on Oct. 29, several videos surfaced showing numerous MSU players punching and kicking Michigan players Ja’Den McBurrows and Gemon Green in the infamous tunnel. Investigations were subsequently launched, including one by the University of Michigan Division of Public Safety and Security with the MSU Police Department and Michigan State Police. 

That investigation was sent to the prosecutor’s office for review Nov. 12, and on Wednesday, Washtenaw County Prosecutor’s office announced the following individuals faced charges: 

Khary Crump: One count of felonious assault

Itayvion Brown: One count of aggravated assault* 

Angelo Grose: One count of aggravated assault*

Justin White: One count of aggravated assault*

Brandon Wright: One count of aggravated assault*

Zion Young: One count of aggravated assault*

Jacoby Windmon: One count of assault and battery*

*Categorized as a misdemeanor.

The Washtenaw County Prosecutor’s office reiterated in its press release of the charges that these are “merely allegations.” 

After the incident, MSU coach Mel Tucker suspended eight players for their involvement: Crump, Windmon, Brown, Grose, Young, Brandon Wright, Justin Wright and Malcolm Jones. Crump, a sophomore, could be seen in one of the videos swinging his helmet reportedly towards Michigan’s Gemon Green. The defensive back suffered a concussion from the altercation.

Jones is the only MSU player, at this time, who is not facing charges but is suspended indefinitely, like the other seven. 

“At the University of Michigan we appreciate the thoughtful, deliberate approach from the Washtenaw County Prosecutor’s Office to this unfortunate incident,” Michigan President Santa J. Ono said in a statement to The Detroit News. “We also want to express our concern for all the players involved, especially those who were injured. The University of Michigan will continue to cooperate fully with any additional reviews of this matter.” 

Coach Mel Tucker did condemn the actions of his players, saying in his press conference the Monday after the game, “We’re not here to make any excuses for the behaviors on Saturday. They are unacceptable. It is also very important to say we honor the traditions of the Big Ten Conference, including the Michigan–Michigan State rivalry game. We have a responsibility to uphold the values of this great university.

“We are deeply sorry to both universities, the conference, our fans, alumni, supporters and, of course, all of our student-athletes, past and present.”

The Big Ten is also conducting an investigation.

Los Angeles attorney David Diamond released a statement on Nov. 8, claiming a Michigan player triggered the altercations. Diamond, who is representing one of the MSU players allegedly involved in the altercations, did not name his client, and said, in part, at the time, “While we acknowledge wrongdoing by all parties, this is not an incident that warrants criminal charges being filed.

“We have seen similar behavior and even worse on the gridiron and suddenly because it happens in a tunnel, known for incompetent security and poor post-game management, there are calls for criminal charges. My client is a young man who responded to the situation before him.”

https://www.si.com/college/2022/11/...xTLB_p4YRvFQDJYRFPnneVyNQgkPAdGRxMlTidCY
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Player News - 11/27/22 10:44 PM
OBJ in the news, and not in a good way:

OBJ taken off American Airlines flight

Odell Beckham Jr. taken off plane after health concern, initial refusal
4:12 PM ET

Odell Beckham Jr. was removed from a flight at Miami International Airport on Sunday after police say the free agent wide receiver was "in and out of consciousness" and refused to leave the airplane when asked.

According to a statement from the Miami-Dade Police Department, officers were called to the airport for a medical emergency after the flight crew expressed concern that Beckham was seriously ill.

"The flight crew was concerned for a passenger [Mr. Odell Beckham], as they tried to wake him to fasten his seat belt, he appeared to be coming in and out of consciousness, prior to their departure," the police statement said. "Fearing that Mr. Beckham was seriously ill, and that his condition would worsen through the expected 5 hour flight, the attendants called for police and fire rescue. Upon the officers arrival, the flight crew asked Mr. Beckham several times to exit the aircraft, which he refused."

Police said the airplane was evacuated and that Beckham ultimately got off the plane when asked by officers. Social media video appeared to show Beckham walking into the terminal with police officers.
Editor's Picks

Beckham appeared to address the incident in a series of tweets Sunday morning, writing "Never in my life have I experienced what just happened to me... I've seen it alll.." and calling the situation "comedy hr."

American Airlines, which was operating the Miami-to-Los Angeles flight, also released a statement saying the plane returned to the gate due to "a customer failing to follow crew member instructions and refusing to fasten their seatbelt." The flight took off almost two hours after initially scheduled.

Police said Beckham made other arrangements after being removed from the flight. He was not arrested in the incident.

Beckham, who has not played this season while recovering from a torn ACL suffered in last season's Super Bowl, was expected to meet with teams this week ahead of a possible signing.

The Dallas Cowboys are believed to be the front-runners to sign Beckham, with the Kansas City Chiefs, Buffalo Bills and San Francisco 49ers also in the mix.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Player News - 11/28/22 02:34 AM
Posted By: hitt Re: Player News - 11/28/22 03:07 AM
Wonder IF the OC for the Titans will be forgiven. Probably, after he pays his debit. JMHO, D. Watson- according to NFL has paid his debt for his conduct problem....and a steep price it was- 11 games in your prime as a football player, FIVE MILLION dollars- by far the largest dollar fine for a player ever. He's also attended special counselling mandated by the NFL- he's been reinstated and has been welcomed back by his teammates. Some will forgive, others will never forgive- there is an ultimate judge for us all- interesting that God forgives, yet man can't/ or won't. I hope D. Watson plays well and leads the Browns to lots of victories. And I hope he's grown and changed as a man.....time will tell. Go Browns!!!
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 11/28/22 03:25 PM
And I hope nobody else gets Covid.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 11/28/22 04:07 PM
T.O. with the K.O.......

Terrell Owens Punches, Drops Man At CVS ... After Heckler Allegedly Threatens Fan

Terrell Owens knocked out a man outside a CVS in Los Angeles after the guy allegedly harassed people in the store ... and TMZ Sports has obtained video of the fight captured by a witness.

The incident went down Saturday night around 11:30 PM at the pharmacy in Inglewood, CA.

Owens tells us he intended to quickly stop by the store and grab a few necessities. While inside, T.O. says a 49ers fan approached him and they had a friendly conversation. That's when things took a turn.

Terrell says a second man -- the guy who was ultimately clocked -- started talking crap to the fan Owens was conversing with. The aggressor threatened to beat up the men outside, according to witnesses.

The group eventually made their way outside to the sidewalk in front of the store. Terrell was playing peacemaker, according to a witness.

Unfortunately, the heckler who allegedly started the confrontation just minutes earlier inside the store took an unprovoked swing at Owens.

A mistake ... and the fight was on.

After sizing up the man, the 48-year-old Hall of Famer landed a looping right punch square to the guy's chin, sending him to the pavement.

A few seconds later, the man returned to his feet ... seemingly a lot less willing to fight.

As a player, Terrell was one of the greatest receivers in NFL history. But, even as he approaches 50, he's still in absolutely awesome physical condition.

With the situation under control, Owens walked to his Tesla and drove away. It's unclear if the alleged heckler went inside for an ice pack and Advil.

Police were not called to the scene.

https://www.tmz.com/2022/11/27/terr...TORSCUlvMguhSMS0oYUO0L34ZCey_csXYeEw4wEw
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Player News - 11/28/22 07:11 PM
I love it when old guys knock sense into young guys, making them the fools that got knocked out by an old man for the rest of their lives. Good for TO.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 12/01/22 06:08 PM
Florida QB Jalen Kitna arrested on child porn charges

Backup Florida Gators quarterback Jalen Kitna has been arrested on two counts of distribution of child exploitation material and three counts of possession of child pornography, according to a Gainesville Police Department release.

According to the release, Kitna was interviewed by Gainesville Police detectives regarding the sharing of images on his Discord account. Kitna told them that he believed the two images to be legal since he found them online.

Kitna said he realized he should not have shared those two images, based on the reaction from the other Discord user with whom he shared them. Shortly after sharing the images, Kitna said his Discord account was deactivated and that he assumed someone reported him to Discord.

Kitna stated that he received an email from Discord stating that his account was deactivated due to a violation of the terms of service. That was later confirmed by an email from Discord.

As part of a GPD search warrant, Kitna’s electronic devices were seized, and preliminary analysis of the devices revealed three additional images of child sexual abuse material.

Kitna was booked in the Alachua County Jail at 3:20 p.m. Wednesday. He has been suspended indefinitely by the Gators.

“We are shocked and saddened to hear of the news involving Jalen Kitna," UF's athletic department said in a statement. "These are extremely serious charges and the University of Florida and the UAA have zero tolerance for such behavior. Jalen has been suspended indefinitely.”

Kitna, the son of former NFL quarterback Jon Kitna, had moved up from third to second in the depth chart behind Anthony Richardson during the course of the season. He appeared in Florida's last regular season against Florida State after Richardson lost his helmet and ran five plays, which included a 5-yard rush. For the season, Kitna passed for 181 yards and one TD, coming in relief against Eastern Washington.

https://www.news-press.com/story/ne...rl77LfegACvM-zcm4qW60KaXh8XEsm7vfOZ1rBf4
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News - 12/01/22 06:26 PM
j/c:

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News - 12/01/22 11:59 PM
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 12/03/22 05:28 PM
New details emerge in arrest of former Florida Gators QB Jalen Kitna on child pornography charges

Jalen Kitna has been dismissed from the Florida Gators football team.

The news came Friday, just one day after disturbing details leaked from his arrest on charges related to the possession of child pornography. And, if the allegations made by police are true, it is no surprise that the 19-year-old, who is the son of former NFL quarterback Jon Kitna, was let go by the school.

It also would not be shocking if he never played football again.

Kitna was reportedly released Thursday from the Alachua County Jail on $80,000 bond, according to USA Today. The site said that Kitna is facing five charges, and that, if convicted, he could face up to 20 months in prison.

Kitna reportedly was arrested following a seven-month investigation by Gainesville police which began after they received a tip that Kitna was sharing child pornography via the Discord app. Once the police became involved, they reportedly found that Kitna “was active in servers and chats that would discuss, solicit, and distribute child sexual abuse materials,” and they said that Kitna told them he tried to “shy away from it.”

Worse, police said Kitna shared an image “of a prepubescent girl in a sex act with an adult man.” They said Kitna told them he thought the photos were legal because he found them online. Police said when they searched his phone, though, they found “three more images of two nude pubescent juveniles in the shower,” and they said “all three of those images appear to be self-produced and were saved onto his cell phone last December.”

The Tampa Bay Times said police did not estimate the ages of the individuals in those photos.

Kitna also reportedly told police that he had been in Kik message groups that distributed material and that he “might have accidentally downloaded,” the photos but would delete them.

Kitna played in four games for the Gators this year and was 10-of-14 passing for 181 yards and a touchdown.

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/202...EHM6PMU2YP9MlpFrjSGaXGGokh3EZdMaIhXCp2WM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News - 12/07/22 08:27 PM
j/c:
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News - 12/08/22 10:15 AM
Just a crazy story about that kid. With situations like that, it’s hard to decipher the truth and it’s hard to know what can be proven. You wonder if he will be given a chance?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 12/08/22 04:28 PM
I think whether he will be given a chance all depends on the remainder of your post. "it’s hard to know what can be proven". If proven guilty I doubt he ever gets another chance. But stranger things have happened.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Player News - 12/23/22 02:58 AM
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 01/11/23 08:14 PM
Former NFL Receiver Charles Johnson Died by Suicide, Says Medical Examiner

The former Colorado standout, who played nine seasons in the NFL, was found dead in a North Carolina hotel room in July

The death of retired NFL wide receiver Charles Johnson has been ruled a suicide, according to a report from the North Carolina state medical examiner.

USA Today obtained a copy of the report, which stated that the 50-year-old former athlete died in July after overdosing from drugs.

The report states that he had "acute oxycodone, hydrocodone and mirtazapine toxicity." He had no known medical conditions or active prescriptions, per the outlet.

Johnson's body was found during a welfare check at a Hampton Inn, located about 6.5 miles from his home, on the afternoon of July 17. His wife had reported him missing the day before.

"In the previous week, he had been acting strange and had recently purchased a funeral and cremation service," according to the report.

The report details items found in the room, which included "two empty bottles of water, an empty travel [sized] bottle of body lotion, an empty travel container, a pair or sandals and a pair of eyeglasses." Johnson had apparently returned home after checking in at the hotel and had left other personal items, including his phone, wallet and car keys, there.

https://people.com/sports/former-nfl-receiver-charles-johnson-died-by-suicide-medical-examiner/
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 03/03/23 04:48 PM
Ex-Patriots Star Willie McGinest Faces Felony Assault Charges, per Report

Former Patriots star and three-time Super Bowl champion Willie McGinest was charged Thursday with two felony counts in regard to an incident at a Los Angeles nightclub in December. The charges are assault with a deadly weapon and assault by means of force likely to cause great bodily injury, according to USA TODAY.

McGinest’s arraignment hearing is scheduled for April.

The former linebacker, 51, was arrested on Dec. 19 after getting into an altercation on Dec. 9 at a club in West Hollywood. In a video obtained by TMZ, McGinest appears to be part of a group which beat up a man, at one point using a bottle to strike the man.

McGinest eventually posted bail at $30,000 and afterward released a statement offering an apology.

“First and foremost, I want to offer my deepest apology for my lapse in judgment and behavior on December 9 at a restaurant in West Hollywood,” McGinest wrote. “To my family, community, friends, and youth I mentor, please know I feel horrible for my actions and take full responsibility.”

McGinest spent 15 seasons in the NFL—including 12 with the Patriots—and joined NFL Network as an analyst after his retirement.

“This incident has prompted me to deep self-reflection—mind, soul, and spirit. I know that violence is never the answer to such situations, no matter how intense the provocation,” McGinest’s statement read. “Rest assured, I will take whatever steps necessary to restore the public trust, mend damaged relationships, and ensure this never happens again.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/03/02/p...DafZ2Phtm4dXIl9Q4SmhAVuU8kPDynFyIG3CAf9o
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 03/09/23 07:37 PM
Retired NBA star Shawn Kemp held after drive-by shooting

March 9, 2023 / 4:49 AM / CBS News

Shawn Kemp, the six-time NBA All-Star and Seattle Supersonics legend, has been booked in an investigation of a drive-by shooting, jail records show.

Tacoma, Wash. police said officers responded to reports of shots fired in the parking lot of the Tacoma Mall Wednesday afternoon.

Officers determined that an altercation between people in two vehicles led to the driver of one of them firing several rounds at the other one.

"The victim vehicle fled the area," the police report continued. "Officers located the suspect who had fired off the shots on Tacoma Mall property and detained him without incident. A firearm was recovered from the scene."

No injuries were reported.

Kemp, 53, is listed on the Pierce County Corrections Booking website with "drive-by shooting" as the charge.
Sky Storm Basketball
Former Seattle Supersonics all-star forward Shawn Kemp, center, at a WNBA game between the Seattle Storm and the Chicago Sky in May 2022 in Seattle. Ted S. Warren / AP

CBS Seattle affiliate KIRO-TV obtained video shot outside the mall showing a man in red standing next to a Porsche, which the station confirmed is registered to Kemp. Moments later, the man is seen getting in the car and speeding away. Another clip shows the man pulled over by police and being placed in handcuffs.

"I was helping a customer and I heard a couple shots, and the mail lady was coming in and she said, 'The guy in the red vest just shot somebody,'" witness Brandyn Payne, who recorded the video, told KIRO. "And then I ran over there and locked all my doors and started videotaping it."

CBSSports.com's Sam Quinn reports that since retiring, Kemp's been active in the movement to bring the NBA back to Seattle after the Sonics moved to Oklahoma City. He's operated a number of businesses in the Seattle area over the years.

He also played for the Orlando Magic, Portland Trail Blazers and Cleveland Cavaliers in a decorated 14-year NBA career.

Kemp has dealt with legal problems in the past, Quinn points out. In 2006, he was arrested for alleged drug possession in Washington after, police said, he and another man were found with cocaine, marijuana, and a semiautomatic pistol. Kemp was detained again in 2006, this time in Houston, on misdemeanor marijuana possession charges.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/shawn-...Lc852ls4vPOCG0YYwn7xsEYrTdKv2h4cB3lQ6OhQ
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Player News - 03/09/23 10:29 PM

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Player News Continued - 03/16/23 08:41 PM
Warning: Please don't read this if you are "puzzled" about why someone would post a feel good post about a young man giving back to his fellow citizens and what it has to do w/that player's performance moving forward.

Posted By: FATE Re: Player News Continued - 03/16/23 09:02 PM
Wow. That's good stuff... and a lot of money.

Had to look his org up, nice little tidbit at the end of this article. 🤣

Bengals’ Bates treats kids, single moms to unforgettable experience

By Jared Goffinet
Published: Dec. 16, 2022 at 11:53 AM EST

CINCINNATI (WXIX) - Bengals safety Jessie Bates III is the Week 15 NFLPA Community MVP after his Single Mother’s Initiative event gave moms and their kids a three-day experience they will not forget.

Each week, the NFLPA selects a player who is using making a positive impact off the field.

The inspiration for the JB3 Single Moms Initiative came from Bates’ mother who raised him and his five siblings by herself while she worked two jobs to support them.

“Being named NFLPA Community MVP is an amazing accomplishment for the JB3 Single Mom’s Initiative,” Bates said. “Growing up, I saw how hard my mom worked to provide for me and my family, and I want to be able to give back to single moms who are doing the same thing for their families now.”

Bates has held this event with his mom by his side each of the past three years.

For this year’s experience, Bates treated six single moms and their kids to a Christmas shopping spree and then rented out a movie theater for the kiddos while their mothers enjoyed a night out at dinner together.

The fun did not stop there, though.

Kids got a fresh haircut the next day before spending the afternoon at TopGolf where they got a special appearance from the Bengals mascot Who Dey.

The weekend wouldn’t be complete without seeing Bates and the Bengals in action.

Bates set the kids and their moms up in a private suite to watch the Bengals defeat the Cleveland Browns. Bates even picked off Deshaun Watson in front of his special guests.

The kids and mom finished the weekend off by hanging out with Bates and his teammates on the field and in the locker room after the big win.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 03/16/23 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Warning: Please don't read this if you are "puzzled" about why someone would post a feel good post about a young man giving back to his fellow citizens and what it has to do w/that player's performance moving forward.

Aw. You still can't comprehend what poking the bear means can you?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Player News Continued - 03/16/23 09:11 PM

Aw. You still can't comprehend what poking the bear means can you?

Of course I do. You hijack threads and further cement your status as the biggest joke on the board.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Player News Continued - 03/16/23 09:15 PM
Part of me says, "Good on him." ...Unfortunately, the jaded cynic part of me says, "Well, that's one way to put a positive spin on catching up on child support."
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 03/17/23 02:43 PM

rofl

Why do people try to start fights on here every day?
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Player News - 03/24/23 08:42 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Player News - 03/25/23 02:10 PM
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Player News - 03/26/23 07:59 PM
Posted By: jfanent Re: Player News - 03/27/23 11:35 AM
Lol. That shouldn't be allowed. It's like the government spending our grandchildren's money.
Posted By: FATE Re: Player News - 03/28/23 01:17 AM
Bobby Bonilla just turned 60...

He still has 12 more years of 1.2 million-dollar checks due from the Mets. He hasn't played in 22 years.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Player News - 03/30/23 09:43 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 04/07/23 03:50 PM
Posted By: bonefish Re: Player News Continued - 04/07/23 04:11 PM
I don't know who has seen the tape of what Mixon did while in college.

He suckerpunched a women in the face at a fast food place.

One of the most cowardly things I have ever seen.
Posted By: FATE Re: Player News Continued - 04/07/23 07:37 PM
And he hit her so hard that it broke multiple bones in her face.

Now another incident, again with a woman, this time with a gun and a threat. I wonder if the Bengals will cut him?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 04/07/23 07:45 PM
They certainly should! More and more in our society people are accepting things that would have and never should have been accepted before.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Player News Continued - 04/07/23 10:52 PM
That video made me sick.

I would never have drafted him.

Tyreek Hill broke the arm of his 2 year old son. Discipline he said. I can not fathom a grown man doing that to a 2 year old.

Another person I can not look at.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News Continued - 04/08/23 06:18 AM
More and more in our society people are accepting things that would have and never should have been accepted before.

We agree.
Posted By: KashDawg Re: The Watson Trade continued - 04/16/23 09:43 PM
Good watch. Great presentation of the FACTS of the Watson accusations.

Posted By: jfanent Re: The Watson Trade continued - 04/17/23 12:44 AM
Some people aren't going to be happy about that video.
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: The Watson Trade continued - 04/17/23 01:33 AM
Yes, and I’m just going to shake my head the whole time.

Ugh, the trash that was posted for so many months.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The Watson Trade continued - 04/17/23 03:27 PM
Yes, Judge Robinson who heard all of the evidence and made her judgement was doing nothing more than spewing human garbage.

rofl

And only a Cleveland podcaster knows the truth. rofl
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Watson Trade continued - 04/17/23 03:43 PM
Of course, the grand jury refusing to bring charges against Watson means nothing. The only thing that matters is a case that ruled against Watson for violating the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy. Some people--mainly Baker Mayfield lovers-- think that the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy is the same things as a court of law.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The Watson Trade continued - 04/17/23 04:15 PM
Finding that he was a predator had nothing to do with the NFL conduct policy. Saying his actions were egregious had noting to do with the NFL conduct policy. Those were determinations in her decision which were independent of anything to do with NFL policy in any way. The grand jury heard the testimony of one of his victims only. Not four which shows his pattern and brings far more evidence to the table than what the grand jury ever heard.

For someone who said they would accept her decision it now seems that you don't. Funny how that works when her decision didn't line up with what you had hoped for and expected.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Watson Trade continued - 04/17/23 04:44 PM
I did accept her decision.

It's too bad you do not accept the Grand Jury's decision and are relying on the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy to decide a man's innocence or guilt. I better stop and allow you have the last word. Hell, what I just said might be considered "name calling" on this board.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The Watson Trade continued - 04/17/23 05:01 PM
What NFL conduct policy defines or asks a judge to determine someone is being a predator? How about any NFL policy that asks a judge in any case to determine that a players actions were egregious? There are none.

It seems you promote the idea of a case only having one witness which makes it strictly a he said/she said by the very definition, over a case where four victims bring far much more evidence to the table and make it a he said/she said, she said, she said and she said case.

No, it's not name calling. But then some people have a firm grasp on understanding the difference.
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: The Watson Trade continued - 04/17/23 05:17 PM
I have yet to comment on the Watson allegations or issues surrounding it, but this video seems to be as good a time as any to do so. I apologize in advance as this will likely be long. I am also guessing this may upset some posters, maybe those on both sides of this discission.

First of all I have never felt like I was supporting the morals or personal behavior of a player, good or bad, when I cheer for my favorite team. I have no idea if the public persona and media accounts of a player are an accurate true portrayal of their behavior, and it is not likely I will ever be close friends with one, so I don't let it affect my decision. Obviously, some players have very positive reputations and 2 off the top of my head are Nick Chubb, and when he was here, Christian Kirksey, who are consider great guys. Obviously, Watson's reputation is trash now due to these allegations and he is in the company of the likes of Ray Lewis, Joe Mixon, Kareem Hunt, Ray Rice etc,. I obviously don't know any of these guys personally, but many fans have not so good opinions of them.

Getting to the Watson situation, I found this video interesting. First, I am smart enough to know that this is a legal answer by the defendant answering charges in a civil case. I expect it to read such that it puts the defendant in as positive light as possible. I also don't know if it is illegal to "lie" in your written answer to charges or not, so maybe someone with true legal knowledge can answer that.

I have seen it implied many times on this board that it is nearly impossible for the allegations to not be true just because of the large number of plaintiffs. I don't necessarily agree with this, mainly because of the money potential involved. Of course, one or all, could be telling the truth, but to me it is also quite possible that a few or even a good portion of the plaintiffs could have been recruited with the promise of financial reward. The same argument regarding the number of those being proof something happened, then 5-6 plaintiffs who the defense claims to have witness accounts from family members that they weren't traumatized and even some wanting to cash in, could be extrapolated that all 26+ were not being truthful and just in it for the money also.

If you would not think this could involve a conspiracy regarding the attorney and the first few plaintiffs recruiting others, and maybe even the Texans being involved in some level, I feel that is naive and has to at least considered as a possibility. . Money has great influence, and it does horrible things to people. I have seen it tear families apart.

I have seen Watson referred to on these boards and Facebook as a perv, a rapist, a sick human being etc, and he may well be, but he also could be completely innocent. I don't know him and neither do almost any of the posters here.

I have a wife, 2 daughters a, a daughter-in-law and a 6 year old granddaughter. I don't however, feel we must believe all women, every time. Theare too many cases where many people have been harmed with false allegations. These types of crimes and allegations are very difficult to prove in civil court & criminal court especially. It's too bad we don't have true lie detectors that are admissible, because if I were accused the first thing I would do if demand polygraph tests for all parties.

So anyway, I have no idea what the truth is and neither does anyone else other than the accusers and Watson. I refuse to label the man and I obviously would prefer he be innocent, and his defense puts doubt on the claims.

I also completely reject the claims that he is guilty because he settled a few of these cases. I have personally known of civil suits brought against innocent people who settle on advice of their insurance company because it costs less than a year of legal fees. He may be guilty but it no way implies guilt to me.

I feel this will never be settled and even if either side present compelling evidence to their case, many will never change their opinion that has been based on media representations of information.

OK, I am done, I will remain a Browns fan and hope everyone on the team has success on the field.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The Watson Trade continued - 04/17/23 05:45 PM
And to some extent that's part of what it boils down to. You have to either believe that all 24 women are nothing but lairs or there is some truth to it.
Posted By: FATE Re: The Watson Trade continued - 04/17/23 06:09 PM
j/c... I have no real desire to watch a 45 minute video about this. I've had more than my fill of the arguments. But, if someone would like to sum up what this big revelation is -- that would be nice.

My opinion hasn't really changed. There is more than enough "evidence" to show that Deshaun was a creep, a perv, and thought he could get away with it because of his standing. I don't rely on courts to come to that decision. Strong opinions on both sides have a certain amount of self-evident truth, imo. Just the simple number "26" (or whatever the number, it's hard to keep up) holds a few truths for me... A. he made plenty of girls very uncomfortable (at the very least) and it's obvious that trying to turn a massage into sex was a regular part of his visits. B. There's a good to definite chance that some of these women were jumping on the bandwagon for a payday. Neither extreme changes my mind about whether he was a creep or a perv.

When the wound was fresh, it had a small affect on me as a fan because it was downright embarrassing. Time has already cured part of that because he's settled the cases and you don't have to hear about it everyday. It doesn't diminish anything he's done; just makes it easier to wear my colors in public.

And that's the bottom line, and has been for me since the beginning. I have favorite players, even players on other teams that I root for. Not sure if Deshaun will ever become that -- don't really care.

I root for the Cleveland Browns. Have since birth, will do 'til I die.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Watson Trade continued - 04/17/23 08:19 PM
Well said. I think you speak for a lot of Brown's fans. Many just don't talk about it much.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 04/18/23 05:04 PM
j/c

DE Chris Smith, who spent 8 seasons in NFL, dies at age 31

Former NFL defensive end Chris Smith has died, the Cleveland Browns and his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, announced Tuesday. Smith was 31.

Smith was a member of the XFL's Seattle Sea Dragons this season.

The cause of death was not disclosed.

"Chris was one of the kindest people, teammates and friends we've had in the organization," the Browns said in their statement.

Browns tight end David Njoku tweeted, "Hometown hero and a brother to everyone. Such a kind soul. This is Heartbreaking."

Smith spent eight seasons in the league, also playing for the Jacksonville Jaguars, Cincinnati Bengals, Las Vegas Raiders and Houston Texans. He finished with 11 career sacks.

Smith started two games with the Browns during the 2018 season. During the 2019 season, Smith's girlfriend was struck and killed by a driver in a traffic accident. She was a passenger in Smith's car and exited the vehicle after it had a tire malfunction and hit the median. The two had just had a daughter together.

Smith made a comeback and returned to the NFL in 2020, playing eight games with the Raiders.

He played in college at Arkansas.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/36223731/former-browns-de-chris-smith-dies-age-31-per-agent
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News - 06/29/23 07:37 PM
NFL suspends three more players for entire 2023 season for gambling violations

The NFL on Thursday suspended three players for at least a full season and another for six games in the latest batch of punishments for violations of the league's gambling policy.

Indianapolis Colts cornerback Isaiah Rodgers and defensive end Rashod Berry, along with free agent defensive tackle Demetrius Taylor, are all indefinitely suspended and must sit out at least the 2023 season before seeking reinstatement. All three were found to have placed wagers on NFL games last season, the league said in a statement.

Tennessee Titans offensive tackle Nicholas Petit-Frere also was suspended for six games for placing bets at the team's facility on non-NFL games.

The Colts announced later on Thursday that they had waived both Rodgers and Berry.

"We have made the following roster moves as a consequence of the determination that these players violated the league's gambling policy," Colts general manager Chris Ballard said in a release. "The integrity of the game is of the utmost importance. As an organization we will continue to educate our players, coaches, and staff on the policies in place and the significant consequences that may occur with violations."

ESPN reported that an online sportsbook account used by Rodgers placed more than 100 bets, including at least one wager involving the Colts.

On June 5, the Colts confirmed in a statement that they were aware of an investigation into an unnamed player and would have no further comment. Rodgers posted a statement on Twitter later that day, saying he took "full responsibility" for his actions.

"I know I have made mistakes and I am willing to do whatever it takes to repair the situation," Rodgers wrote. "The last thing I ever wanted to do was to be a distraction to the Colts organization, my coaches, and my teammates. I've let people down that I care about.

"I made an error in judgment and I am going to work hard to make sure that those mistakes are rectified through this process. It's an honor to play in the NFL and I have never taken that lightly. I am very sorry for all of this."

In a statement to ESPN, Petit-Frere apologized to "my family, coaches, teammates and the Titans fans."

"I have always strived in every stage of my life to follow the rules," he said. "I did not knowingly break the rules. Even after attending a league presentation, I was unaware about the specifics around placing bets from a team facility."

Earlier this offseason, five players were suspended for running afoul of the league's gambling policies. On April 21, the league issued indefinite suspensions lasting through at least the 2023 season to three players who were found to have bet on NFL games: wide receiver Quintez Cephus and safety C.J. Moore of the Detroit Lions and defensive end Shaka Toney of the Washington Commanders. Lions wide receivers Jameson Williams and Stanley Berryhill were also banned for six games for sports bets not involving NFL teams. Cephus, Moore and Berryhill were later released by the Lions.

Wide receiver Calvin Ridley, a 2018 first-round pick of the Atlanta Falcons who recorded 90 catches and 1,374 receiving yards in 2020, was suspended all of last season for gambling on NFL games. He was dealt to the Jacksonville Jaguars at last year's trade deadline, and the league officially reinstated him in March.

Rodgers, 25, first made a name for himself as a sixth-round pick with his work as a kick returner. After starting nine games last year, he was expected to play a key role in the Indianapolis secondary following the team's decision to trade top cornerback Stephon Gilmore to the Dallas Cowboys. Now, first-year coach Shane Steichen and defensive coordinator Gus Bradley might have to count on second-round rookie Julius Brents to hold down a starting role on the outside.

Petit-Frere started all 16 games for the Titans last season as a third-round rookie out of Ohio State, and he had been set to hold down the right tackle spot again this year.
What is NFL's gambling policy?

In June, the league began an effort to re-emphasize its gambling policy as it pertained to players. The six "key rules" that officials the NFL outlined were:

Don't bet on the NFL;

Don't gamble at your team facility, while traveling for a road game or staying at a team hotel;

Don't have someone bet for you;

Don't share team "inside information";

Don't enter a sportsbook during the NFL playing season;

Don't play daily fantasy football.

"It comes back to, in large part, a couple of rules that have existed as long as anybody can remember," Jeff Miller, NFL executive vice president of communications, public affairs and policy said in a conference call with reporters last week. "Don't bet on the NFL. That's not new because sports gambling is more available. That's always been the case. And don't bet when you're at work, wherever work happens to be in that moment. That's existed for a long time."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...dZBOQFFm6Y7x6voM1Pet_CH3-KgR1YjNgm4BUgQ8
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News - 06/29/23 08:14 PM
Seems easy enough to understand. I guess for some it is hard to do.
© DawgTalkers.net