DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 04:26 AM
We're in!
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 04:29 AM
Playoffs. I hope we rest our main guys and still beat Cinci next week.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 04:30 AM
Not a single player on this team that is hard to root for, they all seem like good dudes. That’s kudos to KS/Berry and the culture. It’s easy to root for these guys and they seem to really love it here
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 04:31 AM
Flacco only qb in 2 seasons to go over 300 against NYJ
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 04:31 AM
way to go browns ... well deserved

We have to get healthy and get as fully loaded as possible

Part of me wants the Ravens to just win Sunday so we don't even take more than a practice squad to Cincinnati in two weeks
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 04:32 AM
PLAYOFFS BABY!!!!!
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 04:33 AM
Yep, I rather just keep the 5 seed for the sake of getting healthy
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 04:35 AM
Playoffs!! Find some WRs to sign.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 04:36 AM
so . which AFCS team do we prefer to play? JAX? HOU? IND?
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 04:38 AM
I’d want to play JAX or Indy, Houston rematch with stroud might be tough
Posted By: boofers20 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 04:42 AM
I'd take Indy, no way Minshew punks us again, plus it's indoors and away from the weather
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 04:43 AM
Indy
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 04:49 AM
Good stuff in post game from Flacco. Good dude, grateful
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 04:52 AM
Originally Posted by leadtheway

He is everything I want in a quarterback. A true franchise leader and humble to boot!!!
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 04:52 AM
Well, great game ... time to hit the sack.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 04:58 AM
Originally Posted by tastybrownies

He is everything I want in a quarterback. A true franchise leader and humble to boot!!!
yeah its easy to see why the team followed him immediately. wish we had him 10 years ago
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 05:03 AM
Stefanski called a gem... again.

- Ford had the best vision and adjustments I've seen from him all year.
- Njoku is a stud. Ballpeen and others need to come clean.
- To me, this felt like a game to give props to the back ups on defense... Ronnie Hickman, Alex Wright, Taki Taki, etc.. This team has dealt with so much (injury\- wise) and they've proven their worth/depth.
- Flacco might get us deep into the playoffs if we can get folks healthy.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 05:08 AM
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Stefanski called a gem... again.

- Ford had the best vision and adjustments I've seen from him all year.
- Njoku is a stud. Ballpeen and others need to come clean.
- To me, this felt like a game to give props to the back ups on defense... Ronnie Hickman, Alex Wright, Taki Taki, etc.. This team has dealt with so much (injury\- wise) and they've proven their worth/depth.
- Flacco might get us deep into the playoffs if we can get folks healthy.

I've been a Takitaki hater. I still like both Walker and JOK over him, but his speed has seemingly increased (after injury oddly enough) and has been a big asset to the depth of this team. I think we might loose him in FA as a result of his performance, but I hope we can keep him.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 05:11 AM
Peen has been trying to jetison Chubb for years. Lol

We are in baby! We are in!!l!
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 05:11 AM
Yep, I rather just keep the 5 seed for the sake of getting healthy

Although, if the Ravens lose twice and Buffalo beats the Dolphins a win over the Bengals would earn a home field and a bye week. That would be some much-needed rest and then get to play at home.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 05:13 AM
then you risk more injury.. risk/reward I guess.. i think we need to be healthy more than 1 seed, plus you can keep momentum
Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 05:15 AM
We play ugly ball but I love it. I keep thinking our lucks gotta run out with all these injuries and turnovers, and yet…

Our ability to make other teams play like crap is a thing of beauty. Defense wins championships! Go browns!!
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 05:24 AM
The game is on NFL Network now.
Posted By: JimDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 05:25 AM
[Linked Image from static.clubs.nfl.com]

[Linked Image from static.clubs.nfl.com]
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 05:56 AM
- Another game, another predictably easy win. Vegas knew as well.

- Stefanski adapts to Cooper being out and masterfully calls a game. Loved how he kept Njoku and Ford out of harms way in the second half to prevent injury.

- Njoku continues to live up to the 'Njoku Truthers' hype.

- Ronnie Hickman has performed at a higher level than Juan Thornhill. Thornhill is another JJ III.

- Hat tip to the OL, specifically, Christian and Hudson. Callahan has them playing above their pay grade.

- Greg Newsome has Joe Haden vibes in the way he connects with the city.

- Shelby Harris bats down a FG. He continues to bat down balls in the air.

- Takitaki and JOK were all over the place.

- Did not miss a beat with Patterson and Haack, naturally.

- Jordan Phillips made a big play on 4th down.

Game balls: Njoku and Takitaki

Playoffs will be fun!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 06:01 AM
I've been a Takitaki hater. I still like both Walker and JOK over him, but his speed has seemingly increased (after injury oddly enough) and has been a big asset to the depth of this team. I think we might loose him in FA as a result of his performance, but I hope we can keep him.

Takitaki, will take the injury prone, Walker's, job next year.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 06:07 AM
Originally Posted by Milk Man

i hope we can do better than takitaki.. he's average at best.. we def. need some speed in the middle that can lay a hit and get off a block, alot of those counter runs were because we couldn't get off blocks..LB is still a weak spot outside of JOK on occasion but can't have all-pro at every position. Delpit coming back will help the run defense tremendously
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 06:08 AM
Flacco is the QB that Stefanski has been wanting for a long time. A very smart pure pocket passer with a cannon arm who loves to throw to his TEs. Flacco has allowed Stefanski to open his playbook and be very agressive and so far it has paid off handsomely.

I do wish we would run a lot more than we do because Flacco's play action game, like Baker's was, is awesome. On the other hand, I am ok with throwing 50 times if that means we keep on winning. Whatever it takes.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 06:10 AM
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Part of me wants the Ravens to just win Sunday so we don't even take more than a practice squad to Cincinnati in two weeks

Not me. Go Dolphins! Force the Ravens to play their starters week 18 and risk injury (especially against a demoralized Steelers team). The Browns have already proven they can overcome injuries.

I've said it before and to quote, likely Hall of Fame Browns OC Todd Haley, "you can't live in your fears."
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 06:16 AM

Phil Taylor in the seats!
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 06:18 AM

I doubt it. If they feel Walker is too injury prone, I'd guess they replace him with someone new, not Takitaki.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 06:26 AM

I doubt it. If they feel Walker is too injury prone, I'd guess they replace him with someone new, not Takitaki.

I find gambling/betting deplorable, but I'll allow you to wine and dine me at The Standard (I may or may not opt for the Kaluga caviar) if Takitaki is not re-signed. I'd suggest dinner at the Shoreby Club but we do not need to have a Koby Altman situation on our hands. tongue
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 06:46 AM
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 07:25 AM
Thoughts:

Excellent first half. Njoku, Flacco, o line, and ford.

Ford's biggest problem? He's filling in for the irreplaceable Mr. Chubb.

Not what I expected to see. First half. OUr d struggled, our O didn't. Jets d struggled, their O didn't.

Adjustments at half...........helped no one, really.

Many more thoughts, but this is the best: Browns are 11-5 and in the playoffs.

Hopefully a week and a half off will get some players back - Cooper, Moore, Walker, etc.

Now, what to do with the bengals game. Play the first team? Play backups to prevent injuries? I don't know. I guess this weekend will help to determine that.
Posted By: The Collector Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 07:28 AM

"there's guy Adam Rank, that guy sucks"

LOLOLOLOL
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 10:35 AM
I got the sense that we weren't going to Njoku the 2nd half unless absolutely necessary. We need some rest and recovery for the next 2.5 weeks
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 11:23 AM
https://www.espn.co.uk/video/clip?id=39201738

Feels Good. Don't need to say more. Love to hear Jim Donovan call that play.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Peen has been trying to jetison Chubb for years. Lol

We are in baby! We are in!!l!

What? I have never once said I wanted to get rid of Nick.

As for Njoku...the guy is playing great. I don't think I was wrong when he wasn't playing well, and I don't think I am wrong to say he is now playing great.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 12:40 PM
Friday morning after clinching what a way to wake up. Feels really good.

My first thought was game ball for Kevin Stefanski.

I do not care how the media votes for Coach of the Year. I am voting for Kevin.

The game starts with losing our number one receiver. Then during the game we lose our number two receiver.

The first half the offense on crutches destroys the third best defense. Scores 34 points in the first half.

The adjustment after learning of Cooper being out. We go Tight Ends away. Carve up the Jets defense with David Njoku and Iceman Joe.

Stunning really.

IMO Kevin is one of the best in the game at creating offense. He was outstanding last night.

Game balls normally go to players. But we are in the playoffs because of the coaching job that has been done this year.
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 01:08 PM
then you risk more injury.. risk/reward I guess.. i think we need to be healthy more than 1 seed, plus you can keep momentum

Don't we get a bye with the #1 seed?
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 01:22 PM
Beyond obvious performers, I thought Harmon played well since he has been here. How do we keep coming up with these guys? What is he, the 7th or 8th safety who has played a lot for us this year?
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
Beyond obvious performers, I thought Harmon played well since he has been here. How do we keep coming up with these guys? What is he, the 7th or 8th safety who has played a lot for us this year?

The safety group is really deep. Bunch of young guys that can play.

I think corner is deep too. Berry has done a magical job.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by bonefish

Stunning really.

IMO Kevin is one of the best in the game at creating offense. He was outstanding last night.

Haven't watched the complete game - but it's hard to disagree.

Whether it's finding the right QB for his system. Whether it was simply bad play and execution by other QB's - I don't know. But based on what we are seeing I'd have to eat some crow and say I was dead wrong about KS. There's a part of me that needs to see this week in and week out for a larger sampling .... but hot damn. Think it was doglover who said it earlier .... no team in the NFL is going to want to face the Browns once it's playoff time - no matter what. (I'm still not going to jinx us with talk of going beyond the first weekend of the playoffs ... fingerscrossed)
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 02:13 PM

I find gambling/betting deplorable, but I'll allow you to wine and dine me at The Standard (I may or may not opt for the Kaluga caviar) if Takitaki is not re-signed. I'd suggest dinner at the Shoreby Club but we do not need to have a Koby Altman situation on our hands. tongue

A bet regarding Takitaki can only go as high as Scotti's or Muldoon's if we're sticking to that part of town.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 02:20 PM
Hell we have all been wrong before. Great that you can step up and admit it.

I am sitting in the suburbs of Atlanta this morning.

My heart is in Cleveland. I want to scream from the top of Terminal Tower. "Go Browns"

I am happy for the city, the fans, and the Browns organization. This was no easy task to get where we are. Lots of people deserve credit.

I am sure there is not a person in the metro Cleveland area that is not walking around with a bounce in their step today.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 02:20 PM
Geez, that was fun to watch...
Posted By: captainphil Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 02:34 PM
Rockin around the Christmas tree!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 02:39 PM
IMO Stefanski has to be COY. Just look at the moving parts, MAJOR injuries, and how we've endured and evolved
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 03:14 PM
IMO Stefanski has to be COY. Just look at the moving parts, MAJOR injuries, and how we've endured and evolved

Not to mention the Flacco deal. That was clutch. And so is Flacco.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 04:04 PM
This time is different. The last time the Browns made the playoffs they backed in. Most felt like they were lucky to have made it. In some ways with all of the injuries people who have not been following this team feel like they're lucky this time with all of the injuries. But that's not the case. Adversity came hard and fast. But somehow this group remained strong and focused. I always thought the term "next man up" was nothing more than motivational gibberish that at some point simply would no longer work. That you may get away with that to a point, but there's a threshold that once you passed it was just a saying with little to no meaning. This season has proven me wrong about that.

I have no idea how far this team can go. After all I've seen thus far I refuse to put limitations on that. They have truly proven to me with their grit and determination that anything is possible.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 04:18 PM
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 04:24 PM
A couple of thoughts.

Really impressive game plan without Cooper. But after Moore went down there was an obvious drop off in skills.

Flacco was cheesed about Tillman running the wrong route on the missed TD. Good to see that Flacco is taking the lead.

A bit surprisingly, the past couple of wins have been relatively easy victories. Not as much drama.

Njoku had a great game and has been a different player since Flacco arrived. Finally he is playing to his potential.

The Flacco interview after the game gave a lot of insight as to why the Browns are doing so well. Flacco had a lot of praise for KS, and they are making it work..

Loved the 50 yard TD pass and run to Ford.

There was that comment by the Jets coach Saleem about Flacco being an F-150 in wintertime. Some tried to spin it negatively, by I think he is right. In the summertime the flashy mobile QB's are everyone's darling, but now that the weather has turned, the guy with the big arm and an ability to read the defense has value as well.

If you think about it, the big armed QB's have an advantage when weather is a factor, and normally they are with the other team. Not this year. Not this time.

10 days off to heal up and get ready for Cincy. Baltimore/Miami will probably set the tone for that one.

PLAYOFFS!!!! Never anticipated that would have happened this year.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 04:52 PM
Both Cooper and Njoku have shined with Flacco at the helm. It's amazing how good your skill players look when you have a QB who can utilize their strengths and delivers the ball to them.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 05:23 PM
Exactly my thoughts.

Cooper cannot play and we go with all tight ends and the run game.

KS adapted.

Njoku has always played hard and became a great blocker. Now he has the confidence in the quarterbacks and they have confidence in him.

He is getting the targets that he did not get before.

Joe knows how to feed David. He gives him catchable balls and they are mostly well placed.

Joe reads the defense. If David is in coverage with a linebacker. David gets the ball.

If Cooper draws single coverage that is where the ball goes.

Joe has changed the team from "let's just get decent qb play and we will win with defense."

To "we can score from anywhere on the field." Opposing teams have to defend every blade of grass.

This is a damn good team on a roll with players who will return when we need them most.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 05:28 PM
yeah, the drop-off in our WRs after Cooper/Moore is drastic. IMO, drafting a WR is a big need
Posted By: Swish Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 06:15 PM
Glad Garrett got it back going.

Flacco….damn imma have to get homeboys jersey now. Guys I’m so happy I don’t even know what to say!!
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 07:14 PM
A very useless comment,

I found it a little funny that AB signed another left-handed punter to use this game since Cory B was out. Haack got a thumbs up from me with his three punts.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 07:15 PM

I tend to agree, but he just won it a few years ago. I get the feeling the league likes to spread that around, like it or not. I could say Demeco Ryans has done a great job, and even more so, Dan Campbell in Detroit has made a huge difference.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 07:28 PM
yeah, the drop-off in our WRs after Cooper/Moore is drastic. IMO, drafting a WR is a big need

I don't know Dawg. Unless you are in position to draft one in the top 15, it become hit or miss at that position. You end up with 6th rounders being better than late 1st rounders.

We got Cooper for a 5th rounder I believe. I think i would rather just keep signing a proven vet and talking shot at receiver in the 3rd to 6th round.

After the really elite guys, who we won't get a chance to draft, they are all about the same.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 07:33 PM
Yeah, the Lions just won their first division title in 30 years. I strongly feel that Stefanski deserves the award but I feel you may be right about this. Considering all the injuries at key positions, no HC in the NFL has done more with less than Stefanski this season. Deserving COY and winning it may very well be two different things.
Posted By: sk8termom Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 08:52 PM
Congrats on the win and making the playoffs! Interesting stat - first time the Browns will have had a better season record than the Steelers in 30 years. Happy 2024 to all!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 09:01 PM
Thats a fair point. I have read that this year's WR class is loaded, so I hope that's the case
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 09:02 PM
Thanks!! Happy New Year
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by sk8termom
Congrats on the win and making the playoffs! Interesting stat - first time the Browns will have had a better season record than the Steelers in 30 years. Happy 2024 to all!

1-10-21 AFC Wild Card game

The 12-4 Steelers 37

The 11-5 Browns 48

Makes up for those 30 years smile
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 09:56 PM
I know the COY is determined by the Associated Press but I don't know what criterion they use to decide.

One would imagine the record of course. But if a team is the favorite to win and ends with a good record?

And another team has a good record and achieved it with less maybe that carries some weight.

Ryans with the Texans has certainly achieved a lot. Detroit didn't make the playoffs last year but most expected them to win their division. Mike McDaniel IMO has done a great job.

Baltimore has a great record and they were not the favorites.

Right now Kevin has become the favorite.
https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/nfl/coach-year-odds/

Listening to all the media from Florio, Simms, Peter King, Orlovsky and others they are singing about KS.

I am prejudiced but what has been done this year by KS is really unprecedented. Over 26% of salary cap is on the IR. Fourth quarterback, Nick, the OL, defensive starters etc. That just does not happen. The Bengals were the favorites to win the North. The Jets were being hyped as a Super Bowl team. The Jags four weeks ago were the number one seed.

I would not predict it because I don't much about the Associated Press. Right now I think that the pressure is on them to select Kevin.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/29/23 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Both Cooper and Njoku have shined with Flacco at the helm. It's amazing how good your skill players look when you have a QB who can utilize their strengths and delivers the ball to them.

Bingo. That seems so obvious to me.
Posted By: sk8termom Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/30/23 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by DeisleDawg
Originally Posted by sk8termom

1-10-21 AFC Wild Card game

The 12-4 Steelers 37

The 11-5 Browns 48

Makes up for those 30 years smile

how very true... congrats again!
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/30/23 12:25 AM
That win last night was awesome. We have a week and a half to savor the win. Hopefully by Jan. 7th we can get some of our injured players back and heal up. I'm very much enjoying this!!!! AS a Browns fan it's a very unprecedented and surreal feeling LOL!!!!!
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/30/23 12:46 AM
What a game. This team has all the makings of a champion, but a lot of it is on injured reserve. Flacco's touch and ball placement has shown to be a major factor. I think his tendency to throw long opened up the running game a little. If Baltimore wins, I would rest anybody who has any nagging injury. Try to get everybody back to the best health the can get at this time of the season. If Baltimore loses, all bets are off. You go into the final week with a chance at the division. It is the price you will have to pay. The #1 seed gets the bye, giving them a couple weeks to recover, but also removes one game that has to be played to make the superbowl.

As much as I want to get my hopes up, it is hard looking at all the injuries. Losing Cooper and Moore shut down the passing game pretty much. If you can't pass, it will get even harder to run.

I liked to add, that above a poster was talking about Hickman, and made the absurd claim that Thornhill was JJII. I have watched Thornhill all year, and the dude is a stud. He was making plays all over the field. Both are good, but Thornhill has been there and is a premium player. Having a guy like Hickman as depth is awesome, and being a UDFA, will be a cheap replacement for Thornhill in the future.

The guy that impressed me was Bell. He is playing at a high level. He is not Delpit, but just like Hickman, he is a quality back up with starting potential. Our depth is getting really good, and battle tested.

No matter what happens Sunday, the Browns are in the playoffs, and I am jacked.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/30/23 02:24 AM
Originally Posted by Damanshot

Bingo. That seems so obvious to me.

And I think Ski performs better with the Flacco type QB. That alone is worrisome. Because other than Joe, none of are QBs are pure pocket passers.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/30/23 02:25 AM
There appears to be a drop off when Ward is out. Not so much with Delpit. They are quality backups.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/30/23 02:51 AM
I'll echo the sentiments that what a difference a PRO QB makes for our other offensive guys. Suddenly the OT's don't seem as bad, Njoku and Cooper are shining, Moore's numbers improve, etc.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/30/23 12:18 PM
Schwartz is a straight laced coach not given to hyperbole.

He said Ward is the best corner he has coached.

When you watch Ward you don't see receivers separate from him by much. He can match step with anybody. He also has great technique.

When he is not playing it is noticeable.
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/30/23 01:47 PM
I think Flacco wrapped up comeback player of the year.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/30/23 01:59 PM
Too bad Joe Flacco wasn't 28. I do believe that if DW can come back healthy and stay healthy we'll be able to win with him. He has a strong enough arm, maybe not as strong as JF, and he can make plays with his legs. JMO
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/30/23 02:40 PM
DW is now on the sideline watching. What he is seeing is Flacco playing within structure. The offense is the Gary Kubiak offense.

When the DW was the starter the offense was different. The plays were tailored to fit what DW does best.

Next year DW as the starter should be looking to play more in structure but retain the things that work well for him.

The offensive concepts that should remain are to identify the coverage pre-snap. Post snap movement may change but coverage dictates where the ball should be thrown.

I am hoping that DW sees how he can become more efficient with the ball.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/30/23 05:07 PM
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/30/23 06:34 PM
Maybe DW is learning a few things watching Joe. With his injury history DW shouldn't be running as much as he used to so learning how to be more of a pocket passer would be in his best interests and the Browns too!!!! We need him back healthy next season and stay that way.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/30/23 06:48 PM
They are two totally different styles of QB. Expecting one to turn into the other one or vice versa is not going to happen.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/30/23 07:13 PM
I agree one guy cannot become another.

However, DW can learn from what we all are seeing. So can Kevin. The process should be collaborative.

During training camp and even before KS made it clear the offense would run through what works best for DW. Get him into a playbook using plays he is most comfortable with.

The process should be evolving. And DW must adapt to aging as all athletes do.

Now an injury has occurred to his throwing shoulder. Even though a full recovery is expected. DW knows he must protect himself.

I am not expecting drastic changes. Maybe more awareness to what can work and how to better play within structure.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/30/23 07:19 PM
Exactly Bone that is what I was trying to say. DW will have to adjust his game somewhat because of his injuries and getting older. A power pitcher in Baseball would have to adjust his game possibly because of an injury or just the aging process.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/30/23 07:19 PM
According to your own post the "structure" according to Stefanski is "the offense would run through what works best for DW". Now you claim that process should be evolving? Which one is it? Because that very quote from Stefnaski is the exact reason I say that DW's style won't be changing.

You don't pay a QB 230 million guaranteed for his success and skill set only to try to change his style into something it's not. And even Stefanski said as much.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/30/23 09:01 PM
Ultimately the goal is to win games.

There are plays with Flacco that are working well with the same pass catchers that did work as well with DW.

A coach should not ignore that. DW will be the starter next year. He also should not ignore that. He is a witness to that success. When the off season begins you evaluate the season and form plans for next year.

Maybe I did not make myself clear when I used the word "structure." Structure is not the offense. What I mean by structure is a given play design. When a play breaks down players are coached to respond differently than if the original play is executed. The play goes into adlib mode. "Off structure."

DW because of his athleticism can extend plays. In the past it is something he has relied upon to make plays. Sometimes using his legs or finding a receiver who has adjusted to the extended play.

Players age. After an injury they may have to adjust to not playing as they once did. I cannot say what DW will do. Players have to evolve as age and injury catches up to them.

As a season goes along some plays get thrown away and new ones added. When this season began there were plays designed for Moore behind the LOS. They never worked and were discarded.

When next off season begins KS and DW will go over what was learned from this season. Hopefully the playbook will evolve from this years experience.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/30/23 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Exactly Bone that is what I was trying to say. DW will have to adjust his game somewhat because of his injuries and getting older. A power pitcher in Baseball would have to adjust his game possibly because of an injury or just the aging process.
getting older?? he's 28 years old for god's sake
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/30/23 10:05 PM
I hope DW is watching and learning too. His legs aren't what they used to be and he's gonna have to play in structure more and more if he wants success
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/30/23 11:35 PM
I hope DW is watching and learning too. His legs aren't what they used to be and he's gonna have to play in structure more and more if he wants success

Right, but no 2 QB's are the same. Some run better, some see the field better, some have better arms, some better touch.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/31/23 01:07 AM
I agree that is why each case is different.

We don't know what he will play like. We have an idea based upon what we have seen. I have seen qb's evolve during their careers and we may be witnessing cases this year. Baker is playing well. Lamar has gotten way better throwing the ball.

DW will tell his own story. He is a motivated, competitive, talented player. We shall see.

NEXT YEAR.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/31/23 02:50 AM
well, DW certainly doesn't see the field like Flacco has thus far (or maybe Flacco has a better idea of what defenses are doing pre snap). DW seems much more slow with his eyes IMO
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/31/23 02:26 PM
They are two totally different styles of QB. Expecting one to turn into the other one or vice versa is not going to happen.

Hence why a person may remain leery of Ski.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/31/23 03:24 PM
Except KS has won with both and with DTR and PJ and Baker, and Jacoby.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/31/23 03:40 PM
When yu have two totally different styles of QB's plays that work well with one very well may not work for the other and vice versa. That's not how any of this works. I'm going with exactly what Stefanski said and you posted which you seem to be walking back now. He knows the strengths and weaknesses of both QB's. Anyone who watches the NFL knows that HC's don't install the same game plan and plays for QB's like DW as they do QB's like Flacco.

Sorry but I'm going to have to take Kevin's word on this over yours.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/31/23 03:41 PM
KS is a good coach. What Bone just pointed out on his last post is true. How many coaches can adapt and adjust to 5 different Quarterbacks like he has? I’ve questioned his play calling too but that’s what all fans of any team do. He’s won me over as a very good coach!
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/31/23 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by WSU Willie

Hence why a person may remain leery of Ski.

Then they weren't paying attention to watson's last couple of games. Things were coming together nicely.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/31/23 04:13 PM
I am not walking anything back.

I tried to make myself clear. Apparently I did not.

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/31/23 04:31 PM
It was quite clear. You quoted Stefanski and then said you think he will not do it the way he said he would. You have claimed on one hand that watson's shoulder injury was expected o heal 100% and on the other hand claimed he should change his style because "28 is old". Now I understand that's how you feel but none of that adds up to me. I take Stefanski's word that he will build the O around watson's strengths and not modify it based on what a totally different style of QB has done.

I just find some of your message confusing. You have claimed all along that Stefanski has shown the ability to adapt his system to get the most out of all of his QB's. Now you seem to indicate that he at least somewhat adapt a QB to fit his system. The actual QB they paid 230 million guaranteed to for what he had accomplished playing the style and way he does naturally. So it sounds as though you think that no matter how well Stanfanski has done at adapting to each of his QB's styles, or lack there of as the case may be, he should now do things differently.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/31/23 05:01 PM
I am not going to argue.

You don't get what I made clear. I will leave it at that.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Post Game Thoughts - 12/31/23 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
There appears to be a drop off when Ward is out. Not so much with Delpit. They are quality backups.
I thought teams pick on Denzell Ward whenever he is in, and I witnessed it this game too. 2 ten yard catches

His individual game threat is top notch but the whole group functions better when he's out.
the prevailing opinion of Ward's effectiveness has him overrated imo.
Teams pick on him when he's in and can't complete a pass when he's out, but he's better than average when he actually does make a play.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 01/01/24 01:35 AM
Whatever.
Small potatoes, bone and pit because we made it to the party and we can beat anybody.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Post Game Thoughts - 01/01/24 03:46 PM
You made it perfectly clear and I get exactly what you're saying. I just disagree with it. Just because someone disagrees with you based the the words of the HC doesn't mean it's an argument.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Post Game Thoughts - 01/03/24 06:01 PM

They have had these pretty much all season
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 01/03/24 06:13 PM
Had the chance to go to the game. Man, the stadium was rocking. I lost my voice and it took a couple days for it to come back. Chubb busting the guitar set the tone. What a hell of a time.
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Post Game Thoughts - 01/03/24 10:42 PM
Happy you had a chance to go. The stadium environment looked amazing.
Posted By: FATE Re: Post Game Thoughts - 01/04/24 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by dawglover05
Had the chance to go to the game. Man, the stadium was rocking. I lost my voice and it took a couple days for it to come back. Chubb busting the guitar set the tone. What a hell of a time.

My voice was shot for three days. The whole city was electric. Didn't plan on going. Got a call with last minute tickets and skipped out on a family party. I went from thinking I would be watching on delay to sitting two rows from the field behind the edge of the Browns bench on the 25. Watched grown men with tears in their eyes as the final minutes ticked away. Haven't had that feeling since the Cavs clinched their first trip to the finals and I sat down close to the court... with the same brand of peeps that have invested so much of their lives rooting for something they felt they may never see.

What a night. Having pride for a team that claws and fights for everything beats the [censored] out of this ridiculous cycle of trying to live up to expectations, and the incessant bitching and moaning along the way. Having a blast "kicking this can" down the road.
© DawgTalkers.net