DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Swish #2 Draft need: WR - 01/25/15 09:03 PM
now that we are probably gonna cut Gordon now that he failed yet ANOTHER drug test....

who's the best out there that has declared for the draft?
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/25/15 09:04 PM
I would take either Parker or White at 12, Assuming Amari Cooper or (NT) Danny Shelton aren't there...

Also like that Jaelen Strong may drop to the 2nd round..

I would also look hard in FA. Guys like Maclin and Shorts. Hell bring them both in.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/25/15 09:06 PM
At least there are good options at wide receiver in free agency and the draft (unlike QB).
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/25/15 09:34 PM
Hindsight is 20/20, but man it would be nice to have Odell Beckham instead of Justin Gilbert.
Posted By: Swish Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/25/15 09:35 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Hindsight is 20/20, but man it would be nice to have Odell Beckham instead of Justin Gilbert.

or watkins,

or evans
or mattews.

smh
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/25/15 09:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Swish

or watkins,

or evans
or mattews.

smh

We could have still done our trade down and selected Beckham, that is not the case for the other guys (except Matthews).

Like I said, hindsight is 20/20.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/25/15 10:15 PM
There is no question that Farmer and company cannot ignore WR this draft...

I wouldn't mind burning one of our first round picks on one now. That is in addition to resigning Austin.
Posted By: Razorthorns Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/26/15 02:56 AM
If we are not drafting a QB in the first round via trade up of a flat out trade then i would mind using both 1st round pick on WR and hope that maybe one of them will be decent. There are no real superstar WR in this years draft IMHO.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/26/15 03:22 AM
I would riot if we used both of our first rounders on receivers.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/26/15 03:59 AM
Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse are the starting wide receivers in the Super Bowl. So are Julian Edelman and Brandon LaFell. These guys were not day 1 draft picks. If I were doing the picking I would look for value in rounds 3 or later. I think there will be guys available. Some who could be available are:

Rashad Green
Tony Lippet
Devin Smith, maybe
Josh Harper
Justin Hardy
Tre McBride
Andre Smith
Vince Mayle
Ranel Hall
DeAndre Smelter looked like a beast before he got hurt.

Posted By: clevesteve Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/26/15 04:20 AM
Rashad Green is probably the best route runner in the draft, and I'd be excited if we got him in the third.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/26/15 04:23 AM

I would join you.

We desperately need a pass rusher. Now I will let the front office off the hook if they somehow manage to pry Watt out of Houston, and then draft 2 WRs ..... but I just don't see that happening.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/26/15 04:28 AM
A guy that I like that I saw a lot of here in L.A. is Nelson Agholor from USC. I will be interested in seeing how he measures in, CBS has him at 6'1", 190. I don't think he is actually that big.

Agholor is a pretty good route runner as he played in a pro style offense under Lane Kiffin his freshman and sophomore year. In 2014 USC ran more of a spread type system. USC's QBs have also been mediocre the last two years and Agholor has been pretty productive.

I think he is a second round pick if he is actually 6'1" and I think he has a chance to be a late first rounder if he has good workouts.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/26/15 04:36 AM
I didn't put Agholor on my little list because I think he goes before round 3. Either Agholor or Green could fall to the 3rd. One of those two and then maybe a late round sleeper like Keith Mumphrey of MSU.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/26/15 04:44 AM
Yeah, if we could get Agholor in the 2nd round I would be very happy. My guess is that we don't address the receiver position until the fourth round or later.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/26/15 04:45 AM
We have ten picks. I'm not going to riot based on whatever positions are taken in the first round. Maybe based on the players, but not based on the positions. We could still basically redo the pass rush if we took wideouts with both picks in the first and still address our OL depth issues.

1a) DeVante Parker, WR Louisville
1b) Sammie Coates, WR Auburn
2) Nate Orchard, OLB Utah
3) Grady Jarrett, DE Clemson
4a) Shaq Mason, OG Georgia Tech
4b) Andy Gallick, C Boston College
5) Terry Williams, DT East Carolina
6a) Zach Wagenmann, OLB Montana
6b) Adrian Amos, FS Penn State
7) Casey Pierce, TE Kent State
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/26/15 04:51 AM
If both receivers are clearly the best players available when we are picking you could talk me into taking two with both of our first round picks. I don't know if I would be happy with it, but I would at least understand it.

Just a side note:

It would be hilarious if we picked Dorial Green-Beckham.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/26/15 04:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns
There are no real superstar WR in this years draft IMHO.

Dorial Green-Beckham is his head is screwed on straight. He has been out of trouble for longer than Gordon ever has been, so that's a plus.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/26/15 04:55 AM
If both receivers are clearly the best players available when we are picking you could talk me into taking two with both of our first round picks. I don't know if I would be happy with it, but I would at least understand it.

Just a side note:

It would be hilarious if we picked Dorial Green-Beckham.

It sounds so crazy and yet I can't dismiss the possibility... because there's no way Gordon gets busted again and there's no way Manziel would show up in December and not know the plays. And there's no way Kyle Shanahan just leaves and we have a sixth different OC in six years.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/26/15 04:58 AM
So you're telling me we are going to draft Brett Hundley (my least favorite player of all time)?
Posted By: clevesteve Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/26/15 04:59 AM
So you're telling me we are going to draft Brett Hundley (my least favorite player of all time)?

Shut your freaking face right now.

I'm scared.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/26/15 05:10 AM
Originally Posted By: clevesteve
We have ten picks. I'm not going to riot based on whatever positions are taken in the first round. Maybe based on the players, but not based on the positions. We could still basically redo the pass rush if we took wideouts with both picks in the first and still address our OL depth issues.

1a) DeVante Parker, WR Louisville
1b) Sammie Coates, WR Auburn
2) Nate Orchard, OLB Utah
3) Grady Jarrett, DE Clemson
4a) Shaq Mason, OG Georgia Tech
4b) Andy Gallick, C Boston College
5) Terry Williams, DT East Carolina
6a) Zach Wagenmann, OLB Montana
6b) Adrian Amos, FS Penn State
7) Casey Pierce, TE Kent State

If I were a betting man, I would bet real money that we do not even consider drafting 2 WR in the 1st round. I can see us drafting one WR somewhere near the top of the draft, and adding one in free agency, but 2 1st rounders in one draft? I just can't see it.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/26/15 06:25 PM

Pick two that shouldn't go before the 3rd, or that are headcase/discipline cases.... and that's who we'll be trading up for. Book it.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/26/15 07:41 PM
I see you have as much faith in Farmer and Haslam as I do !
Posted By: eotab Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/26/15 08:35 PM
The glee and cheerfulness is just bountiful man we need an Ice Cream Parlor around here! lol laugh
Posted By: MrKelso Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/27/15 02:00 PM
I really like Jaelen Strong from Arizona State.

I've seen them play a few times and this guy absolutely stands out. I believe he's 6'2 215 and he has a very built frame. I watched Arizona State vs Arizona and every time he got behind the defense it was always by three or four full steps so I think he probably has underrated speed as well. I've been lobbying for him for a while now.

Bring in a solid free agent, someone like Cecil Shorts, and we would be OKAY at receiver.
Posted By: eotab Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/27/15 02:17 PM
I'm sure most here think I hate WRs...lol Just a time and a place for them.

Two favorites of mine in this draft and of course would not mind seeing us get one or both.

hopefully 19 not at the 12. I would not mind at all us getting Kevin White (West Virginia).

My other favorite would be available in the 3rd? Tyler Lockett Kansas State. I know we need a big WR but this kid is special. He also would solve our Punt return problems.

White is the Big strong WR. Now I haven't see things like hand size etc. If we invest a high pick on a big WR he better have big hands.

If we choose not to draft a WR and just get a couple OK-Good ones from FA. I am fine with that.
jmho
Posted By: clevesteve Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/27/15 02:46 PM
I think with the success of rookie WRs last year and with Oakland, the Jets, Kansas City, and Minnesota all picking ahead of our #18, the chances of White lasting that long are not good. Probably need a backup plan for that.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/28/15 01:30 AM
Originally Posted By: eotab
I'm sure most here think I hate WRs...lol Just a time and a place for them.

Two favorites of mine in this draft and of course would not mind seeing us get one or both.

hopefully 19 not at the 12. I would not mind at all us getting Kevin White (West Virginia).

My other favorite would be available in the 3rd? Tyler Lockett Kansas State. I know we need a big WR but this kid is special. He also would solve our Punt return problems.

White is the Big strong WR. Now I haven't see things like hand size etc. If we invest a high pick on a big WR he better have big hands.

If we choose not to draft a WR and just get a couple OK-Good ones from FA. I am fine with that.
jmho

I'm a HUGE fan of Lockett. Excellent route runner with speed.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/28/15 02:43 AM
Quote:
Reports: Colts, WR Duron Carter close to contract

The Colts are reportedly poised to sign one of the CFL’s bright young stars.

Per multiple reports, the Colts have agreed to a deal with Montreal Alouettes wide receiver Duron Carter, the son of Hall of Fame wide receiver Cris Carter.

Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reported the Colts and Carter “have [an] agreement,” while Stephen Holder of the Indianapolis Star reported the club anticipates signing the 23-year-old receiver, who hauled in 75 passes for 1,030 yards and seven touchdowns for Montreal in 2014.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter first reported earlier Tuesday that Carter was “closing in on” a deal with the Colts.

Carter (6-5, 205) could vie to be one of the Colts’ top three receivers in 2015. Veterans Reggie Wayne and Hakeem Nicks are slated to be free agents, and rookie Donte Montcrief looks poised to have a bigger role next season, perhaps opposite third-year pro T.Y. Hilton, who has become the Colts’ go-to target.
PFT

As much as I'd of liked to have him, that's a REALLY good place for him to go..
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/28/15 03:37 AM
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
Quote:
Reports: Colts, WR Duron Carter close to contract

The Colts are reportedly poised to sign one of the CFL’s bright young stars.

Per multiple reports, the Colts have agreed to a deal with Montreal Alouettes wide receiver Duron Carter, the son of Hall of Fame wide receiver Cris Carter.

Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reported the Colts and Carter “have [an] agreement,” while Stephen Holder of the Indianapolis Star reported the club anticipates signing the 23-year-old receiver, who hauled in 75 passes for 1,030 yards and seven touchdowns for Montreal in 2014.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter first reported earlier Tuesday that Carter was “closing in on” a deal with the Colts.

Carter (6-5, 205) could vie to be one of the Colts’ top three receivers in 2015. Veterans Reggie Wayne and Hakeem Nicks are slated to be free agents, and rookie Donte Montcrief looks poised to have a bigger role next season, perhaps opposite third-year pro T.Y. Hilton, who has become the Colts’ go-to target.
PFT

As much as I'd of liked to have him, that's a REALLY good place for him to go..

Luck > The crap we have
Posted By: eotab Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/28/15 12:26 PM
Colts don't need a WR for LUCK they need an OL...that kid is getting beat up!
jmho
Posted By: Swish Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/28/15 12:28 PM
Originally Posted By: eotab
Colts don't need a WR for LUCK they need an OL...that kid is getting beat up!
jmho

and they are probably gonna draft one.

they absolutely need a WR. Wayne is getting too old. Hicks isn't consistent. did you see how many drops the colts WR had in the playoffs? thats unacceptable.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/28/15 01:04 PM
Luck > The crap we have

Words cannot describe what an understatement that is.
Posted By: BpG Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/28/15 03:19 PM
Dorial Green-Beckham, if he weren't on that Josh Gordon time, he would be the first WR off the board, no question.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/30/15 04:19 AM
I'm watching ECU/UConn. Cam Worthy is a nice bailout receiver. He comes back to the QB and uses his big body to give the QB an option while scrambling. He's also a good blocker. Nice guy to have on your team, especially if you have a QB who tries to extend plays like Manziel.

*edit* just heard he has a 43" vertical.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/30/15 11:49 AM
I watched the ECU/FLA bowl match up to take a closer look at Justin Hardy and Dante Fowler. But I also found myself impressed by Worthy. I don't know about the entire season but he seemed to be as big a part of that offense as Hardy. By that performance I couldn't see what the knock on him might be. There must be something that concerns scouts to have him rated so low. In any event I didn't see it.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/31/15 04:10 PM
I read Terry Pluto's article about the teams approach to the off season. It confirms my belief that the team won't spend high draft picks on the WR position. That's no surprise. Farmer has irritated many fans here with what is considered inattention to the position. All things considered I was not unhappy with the WR production the team put on the field last year. I think we'll continue to mine the second half of the draft or free agency for WR help.

I think there are multiple 4-7 round options that might make sense for this team.

In no particular order all of these guys deserve close evaluation:

Breshad Perriman, UCF
Rannel Hall, UCF
Cam Worthy, ECU
Titus Davis, CMU
Tre McBride, William & Mary
Andre Davis, USF
Matt Miller, Bosie St
Devin Gardner, TSUN
Bud Sasser, Misou (thanks Steve for bringing him to my attention)
DeAndre Smelter, Ga Tech (might be a UDFA due to ACL)
Keith Mumphrey, MSU
Deontay Greenbarry, Hou

That's a dozen. I'm sure there are others.
Posted By: bugs Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/31/15 05:12 PM
j/c

My belief is Farmer is looking for receivers like Hines Ward route runner, blockers, and reliable ball catchers. He is all about lunch pail kind of guys.
Posted By: KNOXDAWG Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/31/15 05:14 PM
i love lunch pail kinda guys. especially the ones over 6 ft. tongue
Posted By: clevesteve Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/31/15 07:01 PM
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
I think there are multiple 4-7 round options that might make sense for this team.

Breshad Perriman, UCF
Rannel Hall, UCF
Cam Worthy, ECU
Titus Davis, CMU
Tre McBride, William & Mary
Andre Davis, USF
Matt Miller, Bosie St
Devin Gardner, TSUN
Bud Sasser, Misou (thanks Steve for bringing him to my attention)
DeAndre Smelter, Ga Tech (might be a UDFA due to ACL)
Keith Mumphrey, MSU
Deontay Greenbarry, Hou

That's a good list. I would definitely add Baylor's Antwan Goodley unless you think he goes before that. I liked Arizona's Austin Hill as a sophomore before his injury but he didn't seem like the same player this year coming back. He looked pretty darned good at the Shrine Game, though. One other guy I hope to check out more of is Anthony Johnson of (yes, I'm bringing up this school for the third offseason in a row) West Texas A&M. He looked talented in the NFLPA Bowl.

I think I would be very happy if we ended up drafting Rashad Greene in the 3rd round (if he actually makes it there as projected) and Cam Worthy in the 5th. I think that would be a lot of value (and size) added to the team with still 5 other picks in the first four rounds to address other positions.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/31/15 07:09 PM
You guys started talking about lunch pail type of WRs it brought to mind a player I left off of my 4-7 round list.

Antwan Goodley, Baylor. Plays WR like a running back. You can get creative with a guy that possess his physical skills.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 01/31/15 07:13 PM
Great minds...
Posted By: guard dawg Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 02/02/15 06:24 PM
Level 3 snow emergency in and around Toledo so I'm at home chill'n. Been thinking a little more about the idea of a lunch pail, hard nose type at WR. For me the guy in this draft that exemplifies that most is Tony Lippet, MSU.

Makes contested catches regularly. Will go over the middle. Has ability to get vertical.Good route runner. Team first guy who sacrificed his receiving production to take reps at corner back. I see him as a round 3 pick. Would be an unbelievable selection in round 4.
Posted By: eotab Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 02/02/15 06:28 PM
We could always pick up a kid like Matthews 6'5" off of the couch.

Farmer has his head in gear. WRs have to:
1. Have good hands.
2. Run precise routes.
3. Be football players. No fear, want to hit block whatever it takes.

That is what you need to be a champion. Just need someone to know what to do with them.

jmho
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 02/05/15 04:46 PM
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse are the starting wide receivers in the Super Bowl. So are Julian Edelman and Brandon LaFell. These guys were not day 1 draft picks. If I were doing the picking I would look for value in rounds 3 or later.

And Chris Matthews was in our camp in 2011 as an UDFA and we cut him, then he bounced around arena, Canada and working at Foot Locker until Seattle called him and he ended up with 4 catches for 109 and a TD in the Super Bowl and would have been an MVP candidate if they won.. the key was, is, and always will be having somebody to get them the football.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 02/06/15 06:43 PM
I'd be satisfied if we just signed Michael Crabtree / Torrey Smith + Cecil Shorts
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 02/06/15 06:59 PM
Anyone have anything to say about Phillip Dorsett from the University of Miami?

I know nothing except he is fast and small.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 02/06/15 08:14 PM
Anyone have anything to say about Phillip Dorsett from the University of Miami?

I know nothing except he is fast and small.

I watched Miami vs. Nebraska, Duke, Virginia Tech, and South Carolina this year and he was not an impact player. I think he is being hyped on potential and speed. He's not faster than Taylor Gabriel.

*edit* and point of comparison, I was more impressed with Travis Benjamin while at Miami than I am with Dorsett, FWIW.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 02/10/15 10:13 PM
I went into the season liking, and still do, that Jalean Strong kid out of Arizona State. He's not a first round guy but if we can score a vet in free agency and we are drafting more for the 2 spot, I think he's a good 2nd or 3rd round guy.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 02/11/15 05:30 AM
I watched the USC/Az State game tonight (well, the first 57 minutes or so of it before by DVR cut off) and Nelson Agholor looked like an angry Randall Cobb out there. Man, I liked him before this game but he took it to another level in this one. You can tell he is a former running back... He runs with power, vision, and urgency. Next up is USC/Arizona.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 02/11/15 06:38 AM
Agholor is the guy I want if we wait till the 2nd round to take a receiver.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 02/11/15 08:31 AM
If the Browns are looking at Ty Montgomery WR from Stanford (whom I think was vastly overrated and has questionable hands at times) But is a playmaker with solid size and very good speed... Read an online article where Shaw states that Montgomery is one of the most elite locker room guys he's coached...we sure could use some of that lol
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 02/11/15 08:38 AM
Montgomery is also a pretty good return man, something we could also use.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 02/11/15 08:55 AM
Montgomery is also a pretty good return man, something we could also use.

That's very true...Wouldn't mind Montgomery in rounds 4/5
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: #2 Draft need: WR - 02/13/15 05:29 AM
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs
If the Browns are looking at Ty Montgomery WR from Stanford (whom I think was vastly overrated and has questionable hands at times) But is a playmaker with solid size and very good speed... Read an online article where Shaw states that Montgomery is one of the most elite locker room guys he's coached...we sure could use some of that lol

You got that right!
© DawgTalkers.net