DawgTalkers.net
LOS ANGELES — Nearly 200,000 people from El Salvador who have been allowed to live in the United States for more than a decade must leave the country, government officials announced Monday. It is the Trump administration’s latest reversal of years of immigration policies and one of the most consequential to date.

Homeland security officials said that they were ending a humanitarian program, known as Temporary Protected Status, for Salvadorans who have been allowed to live and work legally in the United States since a pair of devastating earthquakes struck their country in 2001.

Salvadorans were by far the largest group of foreigners benefiting from temporary protected status, which shielded them from deportation if they had arrived in the United States illegally. The decision came just weeks after more than 45,000 Haitians, the second largest group, lost protections granted after Haiti’s 2010 earthquake, and it suggested that others in the program, namely Hondurans, may soon lose them as well. Nicaraguans lost their protections last year.

In the days leading up to the decision, immigrant advocates and the El Salvadoran government pleaded for the United States to extend the program, as it has several times since 2001, saying that conditions in El Salvador were still dire. A sense of dread gripped Salvadorans and their employers in California, Texas, Virginia and elsewhere.

“We had hope that if we worked hard, paid our taxes and didn’t get in trouble we would be allowed to stay,” said Veronica Lagunas, 39, a Salvadoran who works overnight cleaning offices in Los Angeles, has two children born in the United States and owns a mobile home.
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
LOS ANGELES — Nearly 200,000 people from El Salvador who have been allowed to live in the United States for more than a decade must leave the country, government officials announced Monday. It is the Trump administration’s latest reversal of years of immigration policies and one of the most consequential to date.

Homeland security officials said that they were ending a humanitarian program, known as Temporary Protected Status, for Salvadorans who have been allowed to live and work legally in the United States since a pair of devastating earthquakes struck their country in 2001.

Salvadorans were by far the largest group of foreigners benefiting from temporary protected status, which shielded them from deportation if they had arrived in the United States illegally. The decision came just weeks after more than 45,000 Haitians, the second largest group, lost protections granted after Haiti’s 2010 earthquake, and it suggested that others in the program, namely Hondurans, may soon lose them as well. Nicaraguans lost their protections last year.

In the days leading up to the decision, immigrant advocates and the El Salvadoran government pleaded for the United States to extend the program, as it has several times since 2001, saying that conditions in El Salvador were still dire. A sense of dread gripped Salvadorans and their employers in California, Texas, Virginia and elsewhere.

“We had hope that if we worked hard, paid our taxes and didn’t get in trouble we would be allowed to stay,” said Veronica Lagunas, 39, a Salvadoran who works overnight cleaning offices in Los Angeles, has two children born in the United States and owns a mobile home.

What, exactly, is "temporary"?

I don't know, maybe you know - how long would it have taken for these people to gain citizenship? More than 10 years?

known as Temporary Protected Status

Says it all right there.
Once again, if Obama had done his job, this would not need to be addressed today.
Like the economy.
Like North Korea
Like Border Security.
Like NATO not paying its share.
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
[quote=PerfectSpiral]
known as Temporary Protected Status (For 18 Mo's)

Quote:
Says it all right there.
Once again, if Obama had done his job, this would not need to be addressed today.

Typical. Blame Obama. When as usual. Bush Jr. didn't do his job.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/pressrelease/BushElSalvadorEng_030201.pdf

President Bush Announces El Salvador Designated
For Temporary Protected Status Following Devastating Earthquakes
WASHINGTON – President George W. Bush today announced that Salvadorans residing
in the United States since February 13, 2001 have been granted Temporary Protected
Status (TPS) for a period of 18 months. Eligible Salvadorans will not be removed and can
apply for permission to work in the United States during the designated period. The TPS
designation is part of ongoing efforts by the United States to assist El Salvador in
recovering from devastating earthquakes.
The TPS designation was made by Attorney General John Ashcroft. It covers as many as
150,000 potential applicants and applies only to those Salvadorans who have
continuously resided in the United States since February 13, 2001. The TPS application
period begins upon publication in the Federal Register, which is expected early next
week, and continues for 18 months from that date.
"The havoc caused by these earthquakes makes it extremely difficult for Salvadorans to
return home safely at this time," said Acting INS Commissioner Mary Ann Wyrsch.
"Given that reality, granting them temporary protected status is the prudent and humane
thing to do."
On January 17, 2001, the Salvadoran Government formally requested that the Attorney
General designate El Salvador under the TPS program. After consultation with the
Department of State and INS, Attorney General Ashcroft elected to designate El Salvador
under the TPS program. This consultation indicated that the extent of death, displacement
and damage in El Salvador has resulted in a substantial but temporary disruption of living
conditions in El Salvador, such that the country is temporarily unable to handle
adequately the return of nationals.
All Salvadorans eligible for TPS must submit both an Application for Temporary
Protected Status, Form I-821, and an Application for Employment Authorization, Form I765,
and supporting evidence to demonstrate both Salvadoran nationality and also
continuous residence in the United States as of February 13, 2001. These forms are
available from the toll-free INS Forms line, 1-800-870-3676, and from the INS Web site,
www.ins.usdoj.gov.
Form I-821 must include a $50 filing fee, along with a $25 fingerprinting fee. Applicants
for employment authorization should submit a Form I-765 with the $100 filing fee.
Applicants who already have or do not wish to receive employment authorization still
must submit a completed Form I-765, but without the accompanying fee. An applicant
may be eligible to receive a waiver of TPS-related application filing fees.
On January 13, 2001 and on February 13, El Salvador was devastated by two major
earthquakes. To date, the earthquakes have resulted in at least 1,100 deaths, 7,859
injured, and over 2,500 missing. In addition, the earthquakes have displaced an estimated
1.3 million persons out of El Salvador’s population of 6.2 million, more than 80,000
whom are living in temporary camps. Losses in housing, infrastructure and the
agricultural sector exceed $2.8 billion—over half of the country’s annual budget. These
factors have clearly resulted in a substantial, but temporary disruption of living
conditions in El Salvador.
El Salvador joins Angola, Burundi, Honduras, Liberia, Montserrat, Nicaragua, Sierra
Leone, Somalia and Sudan as countries currently designated for TPS.
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

What, exactly, is "temporary"?

I don't know, maybe you know - how long would it have taken for these people to gain citizenship? More than 10 years?

Good question.
Here is a good answer from the American Immigration Center:

https://www.us-immigration.com/us-immigr...p-process-take/

It was a temp order by Bush in 2001 to last only 18Mo's. I edided a reply to 40 that has the temp order in it.
j/c

This is a pretty simple thing. What does temporary mean and are they here legally or illegally.

I mean we can add emotions and "feelings" into everything. But the bottom line is the bottom line.
Quote:
What does temporary mean and are they here legally or illegally.

Temporary meant..... for 18 Mo's. I'm not sure how it was extended this long. No emotion from me on this issue. I think many have been here long enough to apply for citizenship so if they haven't by now there must be a good reason they didn't.... soooo ..adios hombres.
So, in all actuality, the trump admin is enforcing the law?

And your thread title was misleading at best?

Or, am I not reading things correctly.
Not 100% sure but I think if you are here under a temporary status you are excluded from being allowed to apply for citizenship.
My brother-in-law married a mexican woman in Mexico. He met her in Ohio, they traveled to Mexico to get married so her family could be there. They came back to the states to live. Less than a year in she got deported for expired Visa. The States don't recognize the wedding as legal, so she has been stuck there for like 5 years now. He goes down 4-5 times a year but has had to stay here working until his retirement comes up later this year. This whole thing is a trainwreck and Trump is just making it worse.

I think illegals should be deported, but I also think cases should be decided on a case by case basis with judicial flexibility to do the right thing.
Misleading at best?

Trump administration homeland security officials say they must leave. Where is the misleading part?
Misleading at best?

Trump administration homeland security officials say they must leave. Where is the misleading part?

You answered it before.

See, you don't even know it.

Temporary. 10 years. That means it was ignored by O and W.
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Not 100% sure but I think if you are here under a temporary status you are excluded from being allowed to apply for citizenship.

Interesting. I'd like to learn more about that.

By the same token, I'd like to know what the hell "temporary" means in regard to amount of time.

By the same token, I'd like to know what the hell "temporary" means in regard to amount of time.

Geeez...It's temporary until it's not. Like our truce of hostilities with NK, SK, and the USA in 1953 is still temporary.

Since 1990, the United States has granted a form of humanitarian relief called Temporary Protected Status (TPS) to nationals of certain countries that have become embroiled in violent conflict or suffered a natural disaster. An estimated 340,000 people currently hold TPS status. As its name implies, TPS is not a grant of permanent legal status in the United States. Recipients do not receive lawful permanent residence (a “green card”), nor are they eligible, based on their TPS status, to apply for permanent residence or for U.S. citizenship. Rather, TPS beneficiaries receive provisional protection against deportation and permission to work in the United States for a limited period of time. The United States can end a country’s TPS designation once it has recovered from the triggering event.

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/...-less-permanent
My brother-in-law married a mexican woman in Mexico. He met her in Ohio, they traveled to Mexico to get married so her family could be there. They came back to the states to live. Less than a year in she got deported for expired Visa. The States don't recognize the wedding as legal, so she has been stuck there for like 5 years now. He goes down 4-5 times a year but has had to stay here working until his retirement comes up later this year. This whole thing is a trainwreck and Trump is just making it worse.

I think illegals should be deported, but I also think cases should be decided on a case by case basis with judicial flexibility to do the right thing.
I was married in Mexico, a quick fix would have been to go to the magistrate after the wedding down there to legalize it here. That's what we did, no issues here.
Quote:
I was married in Mexico

To a Mexican national?
BOUT TIME ...

A frickin earthquake in 01 .. wtf ....

As Trump would say ....

GET UM OUTTA HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geeez...It's temporary until it's not. Like our truce of hostilities with NK, SK, and the USA in 1953 is still temporary.

Since 1990, the United States has granted a form of humanitarian relief called Temporary Protected Status (TPS) to nationals of certain countries that have become embroiled in violent conflict or suffered a natural disaster. An estimated 340,000 people currently hold TPS status. As its name implies, TPS is not a grant of permanent legal status in the United States. Recipients do not receive lawful permanent residence (a “green card”), nor are they eligible, based on their TPS status, to apply for permanent residence or for U.S. citizenship. Rather, TPS beneficiaries receive provisional protection against deportation and permission to work in the United States for a limited period of time. The United States can end a country’s TPS designation once it has recovered from the triggering event.

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/...-less-permanent

The earth quakes were, in your original post, in 2001?

Quote:

That's 16 years, not? If El Salvador hasn't gotten things back to working in 16 years, when do you think would be a good time for them to fix things?

If El Salvador hasn't gotten things back to "normal" in 16 years, why aren't more of them coming?
Quote:
I was married in Mexico

To a Mexican national?
why is everything about you have to do with race?
I love how Donald Trump tries to strengthen MS 13 at every turn. I'm sure the DEA loves him.
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Quote:
I was married in Mexico

To a Mexican national?

Mexican is a race now? I thought it was a nationality.
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell
Quote:
I was married in Mexico

To a Mexican national?

Mexican is a race now? I thought it was a nationality.
My wife would say it was smile
This bipartisan meeting with the media in attendance for the Daca Dreamers / Border Security was a brilliant move on Trump's part! It not only will end or greatly diminish the Wolff booK's domination of the news cycle, but it puts the onus on the Dems to work with the GOP to get this done. Very good move on his part.

He also repeated wanting a wall but backed off the 18 Billion figure and even somewhat left the wall up in the air by saying he would sign whatever the people in the room negotiated and agreed on doing. Moving toward the middle, another wise move. I'm so shocked that I'm going to need a while to digest this one.
Oh and for the record, I want the Daca kids taken care of even if Trump gets his wall money in exchange.

But if we do the wall money comprehensive immigration reform has to be tied to the largest part of it. I'd like part of it to be based on passing infrastructure as well. But that's asking big I know.
Quote:
I was married in Mexico

To a Mexican national?

Geez . All I asked is if you married Mexican national. Has nothing to do with race at all. Is she a Mexican citizen or not? If you don't want to answer, I can accept that, just say so. It does make a difference you know.

It was a temp order by Bush in 2001 to last only 18Mo's. I edided a reply to 40 that has the temp order in it.

I'm glad you 'edided" it.

Here's some info. https://www.yahoo.com/news/salvadorans-p...-142137727.html

From the article, albeit a yahoo article:
Quote:
Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen gave Salvadorans with temporary protected status until Sept. 9, 2019, to leave the United States or face deportation.

So, that gives these 200,000 people a year and 8 months to get legal, or leave. After they've had since 2001 to get legal or leave.

2001 - 2019. 18 years.
Quote:
2001 - 2019. 18 years.

Korea's temporary truce/cease fire could also end any day now.
Quote:
2001 - 2019. 18 years.

Yeah. So, what has the price of tea in China done recently?
Quote:
2001 - 2019. 18 years.

Yeah. So, what has the price of tea in China done recently?

We were talking about what is temporary right?
I would say a temporary cease fire from a military standpoint is a fantastic thing, even if it lasts 50 to 100 years.

Temporarily housing people from a foreign country that, after 18 years, still haven't gotten legal status? Different story.
Are they gone yet? ...

thumbsup
Yeah....and right along with the criminal ILLEGALS you know the ones that the crazy democrats are protecting..... talk about mental issues SMFH
I see Troll force one is out in full armor tonight.

And Arch I'm still not certain that these people had a path to 'get legal'. Under the rules of their admittance I'm not sure becoming citizens was an option.

I do however agree with you on the fact that there has to be a reasonable expiration of temporary status, but I would add that for those who have integrated and become productive members of our society there should be a path to citizenship.
Tucker Carlson Turns On Trump: 'What Was The Point Of Running For President?'

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tucker-carlson-turns-trump-apos-052247022.html
Trump doesn't care. rofl We all heard him say it. He doesn't care.
Originally Posted By: Swish

How many people on here ever quoted Tucker Carlson and you went nuts saying he was an opinion commentator and he was FOX and he was a Conservative talking head.

Now you quote him. rofl

Have a talk with yourself, will ya.

How many people on here ever quoted Tucker Carlson and you went nuts saying he was an opinion commentator and he was FOX and he was a Conservative talking head.

Now you quote him. rofl

all i did was post a link. does links trigger you?

Now you quote him. rofl

No, Hypocrisy triggers me. tsktsk
i didn't do anything hypocritical though.

unless sharing actual news stories instead of fake ones is hypocrisy.

but you love alternative facts so. ill start posting more kellyanne Conway stories for you to view.

Now you quote him. rofl

No, Hypocrisy triggers me. tsktsk

You must trigger yourself often. But then again Trump supporters shoot themselves in the foot all day long.
I LOVE TUCK ... he’s the BEST ...

Chill Tuck ... lets see what happens here ... let it play out .. dont fall into the trap the liberal menZas on here have fallen into and RUSH TO JUDGEMENT ...

Chill Tuck Chill ... lets see what happens ...

Plenty of time to get mad AFTER we see what ends up happening ... thumbsup
I agree.

Tucker picked up a bad habit from the Left and is running around with his hair on fire. Looks foolish.
ICE immigration officers swoop in on 7-Elevens nationwide

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/10/news/companies/7-eleven-immigration-ice/index.html

WHAT ABOUT THE SLUSHIES!!
I know it upsets you to point out that people from your party are starting to eat their own.
So much for a pack of Camels and a Slurpy to go with that!
Quote:
comprehensive immigration reform
And what exactly is "comprehensive immigration reform" Because I keep hearing about this, yet no one has answer as to what exactly it is.
Quote:
And what exactly is "comprehensive immigration reform" Because I keep hearing about this, yet no one has answer as to what exactly it is.

Geez just do some research dude. ..... or read the comprehensive immigration reform bill that passed the Senate in 2013 but died in the House
Quote:

Geez just do some research dude. ..... or read the comprehensive immigration reform bill that passed the Senate in 2013 but died in the House
sooo you solution to "immigration reform" is a bill that died in the house. makes a lot sense. . . . But I like things that actually work, obviously that does not.

So once again, what is "comprehensive immigration reform".
Quote:

Its the same thing as COLLUSION .... no one can really explain exactly what that is either ...

Go ahead ... ask them what constitutes collusion .. what the ACTUAL CRIMINAL OFFENSE IS ... go ahead ... ax um ... i dare ya ... rofl ...

My guess is IF THEY FINALLY ANSWER that question I’ve asked about 50 times ... IF they do answer I’ll go out on a limb here and say their answers will sound a lot like the same thing that they deem OPPOSITION RESEARCH when their girl Killary did it ...

But that don’t stop the HATERS from HATING ... thumbsup
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Quote:

Its the same thing as COLLUSION .... no one can really explain exactly what that is either ...

Collusion is not illegal, why would Trump campaign officials lie about it?

Collusion in this case is when 2016 GOP campaign officials went to secret meetings with Russian officials/agents to get dirt on Hillary or whoever to hurt they're campaign. Which isn't a crime at all, like I said. Lying about it on federal forms is. Hence the 4 indictments. enjoy the show.
Allowing foreign nationals to contribute something of value to a campaign is illegal...

Also, saying "it didn't pass the senate hur dur!" when asked for an example of comprehensive reform, doesn't mean that the legislation wasn't comprehensive reform.
Quote:

So once again, what is "comprehensive immigration reform".

Read the bill you may learn something. Doubt it tho.
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
Allowing foreign nationals to contribute something of value to a campaign is illegal...

Also, saying "it didn't pass the senate hur dur!" when asked for an example of comprehensive reform, doesn't mean that the legislation wasn't comprehensive reform.
Nope, you want to have reform, give me something that will get through. just because you commies want open boarders, and amnesty for 11 million, doesn't mean that's "reform".
Quote:
amnesty for 11 million, doesn't mean that's "reform"

It does for Trump, he's already said he'll take the heat for it.
Quote:

Just cause trump says he would accept it, does not mean it would ever get through congress. You do realize there is a process for legislating right? Unlike emperor O, we use congress and the senate.
Quote:

Just cause trump says he would accept it, does not mean it would ever get through congress. You do realize there is a process for legislating right? Unlike emperor O, we use congress and the senate.

What? Are you for real? The fat arse in the WH has signed more than 50 executive orders in his first year. He's not using the republican controlled congress and senate to legislate. GMAFB!
j/c

It seems some posters on this board are forgetting that only two days ago Trump said he would sign a clean bill approving DACA again until his handlers had to explain to him what that actually meant.

He was ready to sign off on DACA and THEN work on a comprehensive immigration bill.

It's no wonder why some posters don't understand what a comprehensive immigration bill means. Hell, the man they voted for to be our president doesn't know what it means either.
Quote:

What? Are you for real? The fat arse in the WH has signed more than 50 executive orders in his first year. He's not using the republican controlled congress and senate to legislate. GMAFB!
You realize the vast majority of those he has signed are striking the Obama EO, right.....
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
j/c

It seems some posters on this board are forgetting that only two days ago Trump said he would sign a clean bill approving DACA again until his handlers had to explain to him what that actually meant.

He was ready to sign off on DACA and THEN work on a comprehensive immigration bill.

It's no wonder why some posters don't understand what a comprehensive immigration bill means. Hell, the man they voted for to be our president doesn't know what it means either.

The press conference was one of the funniest things ever. Republicans trying to reel him in and Trump thinking of himself as a Popular Populist candidate.
© DawgTalkers.net