DawgTalkers.net
GOP Tennessee governor signs bill allowing state adoption agencies to reject gay couples

Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee (R) on Friday signed a measure that allows adoption agencies to refuse to place children with same-sex parents, drawing backlash from gay-rights advocates.

The law, which goes into effect immediately, protects adoption agencies who believe placement of a child in a same-sex home would "violate the agency's written religious or moral convictions or policies,” The Tennessean reported.

“The governor believes that protection of rights is important, especially religious liberty," Lee spokesman Gillum Ferguson told the outlet. "This bill is centered around protecting the religious liberty of Tennesseans and that’s why he signed it.”

The bill also prohibits the state from denying an agency’s licenses or grant applicants for public funds based on its child placement refusals.

The measure, which previously passed the state House last April, passed the Tennessee Senate 20-6 earlier this month.

State Sen. Steve Dickerson was the lone Republican who voted against the measure, along with the Senate’s five Democrats. An additional five GOP senators did not vote.

The measure was endorsed by the Southern Baptist Convention’s Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission but vocally opposed by LGBTQ rights groups, including the Tennessee Equality Project and the national group Lambda Legal.

“Shame on @GovBillLee for signing it into law,” LGBTQ advocacy group GLAAD wrote on Twitter.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch...ncies-to-reject
Fewer loving homes for those unwanted unaborted babies.
Winning.
Just doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.
same state that honors the OG of the KKK.

But hey, Atleast they cover community college, amirite?
That's why I did vote for the former Republican Gov. but couldn't vote for this one.
SMH boo
So basically what this law says is a Christian Adoption Agency can not be forced to place children against the agencies moral values.

That's like saying a Christian Baker can not be forced to go against his moral values when decorating a cake.

Sounds familiar.

Oh yeah, the Supreme Court already said as much.
Legalized discrimination is no less discrimination.

At one time slavery was legal.

At one time segregation was legal.

The law doesn't determine morality.
Where in the constitution states that we’re a Theocracy?
No Theocracy, just this...

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."
Looks like I’m moving to Tennessee and saying the religion that I follow tells me I cannot pay taxes or I won’t get into the afterlife, then.

Go for it! thumbsup
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
No Theocracy, just this...

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

Bro, you can mumble wishful thoughts to your invisible friends in the sky all you want, but that SHOULD NEVER BE USED TO DISCRIMINATE AGAINST OR TO IMPOSE YOUR SUPERSTITION ON OTHERS!

Go for it! thumbsup

Why not? Churches do it all the time. So a church can be tax exempt but their believers, who follow the same belief system and religion can't? Hmmmm....
"Christian Conservatives"

Can't abort em
Can't rehome them
Originally Posted By: BpG

Can't abort em
Can't rehome them

My Trumpian response: Why not?
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Originally Posted By: BpG

Can't abort em
Can't rehome them

My Trumpian response: Why not?

Mrs. trump’s response: I don’t really care, do you
So basically what this law says is a Christian Adoption Agency can not be forced to place children against the agencies moral values.

That's like saying a Christian Baker can not be forced to go against his moral values when decorating a cake.

Sounds familiar.

If you believe a living, breathing child in the foster care system deserves the same treatment and protections under law as an inanimate cake, then yes it does sound familiar.

But from what I recall.. *checks notes*... the argument has been that even a fetus is a living human being and deserves rights and protection... so if you believe that, then certainly a human being, should not be compared to a cake..
What?

You must be taking lessons from Mr.Twister.

I was referring to the Rights of Christian organizations to live by their moral beliefs and not being forced to sin in the name of the government. It is their Right.

You need to learn that you can not serve two masters. tsktsk
What?

I was referring to the Rights of Christian organizations to live by their moral beliefs and not being forced to sin in the name of the government. It is their Right.

You really don't know your faith...

In regards to tax collection during Roman times...
Quote:
New International Version Mark 12:17
Then Jesus said to them, "Give back to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's." And they were amazed at him.

Link
What?

Putting a child in a gay home is not a sin to the child. And the child is the one of primary importance in all of this.

Quote:

Well, you let me know when Jesus passes Donald Trump on who you serve.. then we can talk.
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
What?

Putting a child in a gay home is not a sin to the child. And the child is the one of primary importance in all of this.

Quote:

Well, you let me know when Jesus passes Donald Trump on who you serve.. then we can talk.

Trump is our President and a darned good one at that.
Jesus is Lord.

Try not to get that confused again.
We can all see who it is that's confused by this. When Jesus says one thing and Trump does differently, you side with Trump.
You should refrain from commenting on subjects you know nothing about.
Says the man who supports we have a president who has broken more commandments that he eats KFC.
Then Jesus said to them, "Give back to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's." And they were amazed at him.
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
What?

Quote:

It's about the child.. Always has been, always should be.
What's better for a child... A gay/lesbian couple that will love and care for this child, or some group home/orphanage?

For me, a loving, nurturing environment wins every damn time.

I hate to turn this into an abortion argument, but this discussion brings a problem into specific relief.

Anti Abortion (I'm anti abortion) folks want to stop all abortions. They want to criminalize Abortion.

But it seems as if some of them (not me) forget about whats important here. It's the child that is born and isn't taken care of.

It's almost like, Anti Abortion folks demand that Children be born, but then after birth, they forget they exist.

Certainly not every anti abortionist... But it appears most.

Myself, I hold this belief, I'm a 67 year old white guy, What could I possibly know about what a young woman is going through. I can't in any way relate to what will happen after she gives birth.

I don't feel qualified to be able to have a say in what she should do.

Yes, I have an opinion, I don't care for Abortion... Never have. But I don't feel as if I have the right to tell these folks what to do. And I don't care for those anti abortion folks telling me I'm a bad guy because I think it's their choice....
Quote:
Anti Abortion (I'm anti abortion) folks want to stop all abortions. They want to criminalize Abortion.
That's false. People may consider me Anti Abortion because I only feel it should be in cases of rape/incest or health emergency to save the mother.

Quote:
Yes, I have an opinion, I don't care for Abortion... Never have. But I don't feel as if I have the right to tell these folks what to do. And I don't care for those anti abortion folks telling me I'm a bad guy because I think it's their choice...
I respect your opinion, I just disagree with the fact that anyone should just be able to walk up and get an abortion because they feel like it. I know people argue its not common, but it happens. I would say it happens less then the right believes, and more than the left states it does. smile But it definitely happens - you can argue its so little cases, but for me - one case is too many in that regards. Nothing is going to change my mind on that either, I expect nothing is going to change the minds of others that disagree. So I wont argue past this post about it. It is what is.

Back to the topic of gay couples adopting.

If your good people your people. If you are willing to raise another persons child as your own, you have my respect and should be allowed to do so.
Originally Posted By: GMdawg

Yet he didn't tell anyone to vote for Caesar and make excuses for his hateful behavior. He did say to pay your taxes though.
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Quote:

That's false. People may consider me Anti Abortion because I only feel it should be in cases of rape/incest or health emergency to save the mother.

for you it may be false, but overall, it's true

Quote:
Yes, I have an opinion, I don't care for Abortion... Never have. But I don't feel as if I have the right to tell these folks what to do. And I don't care for those anti abortion folks telling me I'm a bad guy because I think it's their choice...
I respect your opinion, I just disagree with the fact that anyone should just be able to walk up and get an abortion because they feel like it. I know people argue its not common, but it happens. I would say it happens less then the right believes, and more than the left states it does. smile But it definitely happens - you can argue its so little cases, but for me - one case is too many in that regards. Nothing is going to change my mind on that either, I expect nothing is going to change the minds of others that disagree. So I wont argue past this post about it. It is what is.

Back to the topic of gay couples adopting.

If your good people your people. If you are willing to raise another persons child as your own, you have my respect and should be allowed to do so.

That last paragraph, that's the only thing that really matters.. loving homes are what kids need... Period
He also didn't tell folks to vote for Trump, or Hillary.

Lol you’d think everyone would want to vote for the one who paid their fair share of U.S. income taxes. But call me old fashion.
OK your old fashion. Would you like me to buy you an old fashion as well?
OK your old fashion. Would you like me to buy you an old fashion as well?

Too early got to drive my stair lift right now. But thanks pal.
No problem you got a rain check if we ever meet up thumbsup

No he didn't. But a lot of people will tell you God picks a side when it comes to political parties.
I don't believe them either thumbsup

Oh my ... trump isn’t the chosen one we both agree? Off to hell for you and me.
How often have you heard recently that trump was sent to us by God... You know,, I was thinking about it, basically that's true if you believe in God..

The question I have is, what? Was the Lord out of Locusts?
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
How often have you heard recently that trump was sent to us by God... You know,, I was thinking about it, basically that's true if you believe in God..

The question I have is, what? Was the Lord out of Locusts?

The end times would be signaled by trumpets... trump/pence...
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral

Go "Pffft" to the devil and you'll find yourself paired off with Hillary or Maxine Waters for eternity! naughtydevil

*Motioning with my hand* After you fine Sir. wink

*Motioning with my hand* After you fine Sir. wink

Considering how you followed trump into hell. I have no doubt you’ll be right behind me. Geronimo! tongue
Originally Posted By: fishtheice

Go "Pffft" to the devil and you'll find yourself paired off with Hillary or Maxine Waters for eternity! naughtydevil

Oh my. Pffft .... to the devil.

I’m shocked that you’d disparage any minorities here with blasphemy.....not really.
Originally Posted By: fishtheice

You may wish to look at all the commandments Trump has broken first before pointing the finger in the other direction. wink
Love is all that matters. That should be the top priority of any adoption agency.

That the child goes to a happy, loving home.

Governor Lee is wrong. Plain wrong. A person's sexual orientation has nothing to do with their ability to love and take care of a child. And that's all that should matter. Period. I think he needs to spend time with gay couples wanting to adopt children. Maybe that would get him straightened out.
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous
Love is all that matters. That should be the top priority of any adoption agency.

That the child goes to a happy, loving home.

Governor Lee is wrong. Plain wrong. A person's sexual orientation has nothing to do with their ability to love and take care of a child. And that's all that should matter. Period. I think he needs to spend time with gay couples wanting to adopt children. Maybe that would get him straightened out.

He probably spends more of his time with gay men than we know. Like many recent closeted GOP members.

Anti-Gay Ohio Republican Resigns After, Surprise, Having Sex with a Man in the State Capitol

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gq.com/story/ohio-anti-gay-republican-resigns/amp

Former GOP Rep. Aaron Schock allegedly had his hand down a man’s pants at Coachella
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.metrowe...-coachella/amp/

Anti-Gay GOP Politician Comes Out After Being Caught Sending Explicit Photos On Grindr
https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7176406/amp
© DawgTalkers.net