DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING National Emergency! - 03/13/20 05:04 PM
The moment the president declares a “national emergency”—a decision that is entirely within his discretion—he is able to set aside many of the legal limits on his authority.

Like all emergency powers, the laws governing the conduct of war allow the president to engage in conduct that would be illegal during ordinary times.

The president could seize control of U.S. internet traffic, impeding access to certain websites and ensuring that internet searches return pro-Trump content as the top results.

Americans might be surprised to learn just how readily the president can deploy troops inside the United States.

Finally!

thumbsup
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: National Emergency! - 03/13/20 05:13 PM
well, good thing I had an ammo delivery yesterday.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: National Emergency! - 03/13/20 05:26 PM
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
The moment the president declares a “national emergency”—a decision that is entirely within his discretion—he is able to set aside many of the legal limits on his authority.

Like all emergency powers, the laws governing the conduct of war allow the president to engage in conduct that would be illegal during ordinary times.

The president could seize control of U.S. internet traffic, impeding access to certain websites and ensuring that internet searches return pro-Trump content as the top results.

Americans might be surprised to learn just how readily the president can deploy troops inside the United States.

Finally!

thumbsup

And you think this is a good thing?
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: National Emergency! - 03/13/20 05:29 PM

Finally!

thumbsup

Yep, he could rig google results as part of a national emergency... rolleyes

Basically this allows him to send fema and aid out to areas in need of assistance, not much more. Get a grip.
Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING Re: National Emergency! - 03/13/20 05:30 PM
Well, on the other hand...

Trump has announced a press conference at 3 p.m. and it is anticipated that he will declare a national emergency as concerns over the outbreak wreak havoc and continue to disrupt daily American life.

The announcement comes as major sporting and other events have been called off or postponed, businesses across the country institute telework policies, government buildings and schools shutter and other disruptions rock the nation, amid efforts to curb the transmission of the virus.

How does this work?

The Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act allows the White House to mobilize the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and direct federal aid to states hit by disasters and health crises.

According to Bloomberg News, Senate Democrats urged Trump to invoke the Stafford Act and other requests that they say would free up more than $42 billion in funding for states available in the Disaster Relief Fund.

And what does this mean?

Such a declaration would allow a state to request a 75 percent cost-share for expenses such as emergency workers, testing, medical supplies and vaccinations, Democrats said in a letter sent to the president.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-national-emergency-on-coronavirus
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: National Emergency! - 03/13/20 07:50 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

I didn't need to stock up. I did that the day he was elected.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: National Emergency! - 03/13/20 08:10 PM
Just one caliber; for the AR. The others were all set because I load my own; I just never got the press set up for the AR.

I'm now good from CQB to 1,000 yds.

#zombies
Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING Re: National Emergency! - 03/13/20 08:38 PM
Most everyone here stocked up during the Obama years.

Gun sales and ammo profits were great then, I almost miss it, not.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: National Emergency! - 03/13/20 08:43 PM
They take advantage of you when you act based on fear. The guns and ammo manufacturers used you based on your "Obama Fear". They do it to you every time a Democrat gets elected by scaring you into thinking they'll take your guns. Yet no Democratic president has ever tried to.

Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING Re: National Emergency! - 03/13/20 08:46 PM
No, the fear was justified as our dear leader traveled the world apologizing for who we are.

We were clinging to our guns and Bibles as America fell into the hands of a despot.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: National Emergency! - 03/13/20 08:47 PM
You've been holding them since 2016?
Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING Re: National Emergency! - 03/13/20 08:48 PM
No, 2009.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: National Emergency! - 03/13/20 09:21 PM
Well Trump has been kissing the flag and telling the flag he loves it so you better catch up. Unless you think talking to inanimate objects is weird like the rest of us do.
Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING Re: National Emergency! - 03/13/20 10:12 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Well Trump has been kissing the flag and telling the flag he loves it so you better catch up. Unless you think talking to inanimate objects is weird like the rest of us do.

You cried and hated his Fourth of July show.
You cry and hate his love of country and hugging of our flag that so many have sacrificed to protect.

I see a pattern here.
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: National Emergency! - 03/14/20 12:03 PM

Finally!

thumbsup

Ok boomer....pfft the trump era.
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: National Emergency! - 03/14/20 12:06 PM

You cry and hate his love of country and hugging of our flag that so many have sacrificed to protect.

I see a pattern here.

Me two.....your communist style comrade love affair with trump and putin.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: National Emergency! - 03/14/20 02:14 PM
Just one caliber; for the AR. The others were all set because I load my own; I just never got the press set up for the AR.

I'm now good from CQB to 1,000 yds.

#zombies

Sorry Purp,, I replied to 40 and but I hit the reply button on your post instead.... Thus the reason it's now blank
Posted By: Damanshot Re: National Emergency! - 03/14/20 02:16 PM

Quote:

YEah, the same ninnies that are currently buying up all the TP and still think that Trump is a great leader..

he's a Nazi..
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: National Emergency! - 03/14/20 07:46 PM

I see a pattern here.

Yet you don't see a pattern of criminals Trump surrounds himself by as being indicative of who he is. Funny how that works.

That's all you have when someone shows you Trump's senility and criminality. Attack the messenger.
Posted By: MemphisHoundDawg Re: National Emergency! - 03/15/20 06:59 PM

I didn't need to stock up. I did that the day he was elected.

I was pretty well stocked up already, but idiots like Beto, Cuomo , Bloomberg etc, convinced me to substantially increase my stockpile
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: National Emergency! - 03/15/20 07:08 PM
The idiot scale is why I stocked when Trump was elected.
Posted By: MemphisHoundDawg Re: National Emergency! - 03/15/20 07:16 PM

That’s makes no sense with a pro 2nd amendment leader...of course what you spew rarely makes sense.

If you actually own a weapon, I suggest you turn it in to your local law enforcement agency before you hurt yourself
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: National Emergency! - 03/15/20 07:27 PM
To turn them all in at one time I would need a bigger truck.

I've heard people like you tell the lie that the Democrats were going to take our guns for decades now. The gun manufacturers love people like you.

You get scared and make them rich based on the lies they help spread.

It wasn't trump that worried me. It was his followers.

Hate-Crime Violence Hits 16-Year High, F.B.I. Reports

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/12/us/hate-crimes-fbi-report.html

#lockedandloaded
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: National Emergency! - 03/15/20 07:28 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisHoundDawg

That’s makes no sense with a pro 2nd amendment leader...of course what you spew rarely makes sense.

If you actually own a weapon, I suggest you turn it in to your local law enforcement agency before you hurt yourself

rofl ....

Thanks for the *L*, that was funny ... thumbsup
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: National Emergency! - 03/15/20 07:30 PM
Hate-Crime Violence Hits 16-Year High, F.B.I. Reports

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/12/us/hate-crimes-fbi-report.html

Reality must suck for you.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: National Emergency! - 03/15/20 08:38 PM
Ironically, as this thread was progressing, I was asked over to a friends house to shoot.

From .22 cal rifles, even a scary AR looking .22, to 9 mm, 40 mm hand guns, to .308 AR style, .243, .223, 45-70, and some others.

Why? Not because we are scared of some zombie apocalypse, or afraid of looting or what not due to covid 19. Rather, because it was a nice day. All legal, and shooting with a 6' high back stop, with nothing for almost a mile behind that.

We darn near filled a 5 gallon bucket with casings. Fun time.

Couple of the guys have laser sights on their weapons.....dang.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: National Emergency! - 03/15/20 08:40 PM
Target shooting is a great stress reliever. It's a fun way to spend an afternoon.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: National Emergency! - 03/15/20 08:44 PM
To turn them all in at one time I would need a bigger truck.

For real? Look, I thought I had a good number of guns and ammo.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: National Emergency! - 03/15/20 08:45 PM
If you combined all the guns and ammo together, yes.

But my vehicle is a mid size SUV, so there's that. wink
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: National Emergency! - 03/15/20 09:07 PM

I'm still doubting you.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: National Emergency! - 03/15/20 09:09 PM
I don't care. I've been buying guns for 40 years. I'm not trying to impress you or convince you.
Posted By: MemphisHoundDawg Re: National Emergency! - 03/15/20 09:15 PM
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

I'm still doubting you.

Same here friend
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: National Emergency! - 03/15/20 09:21 PM
Like I care. It's funny, you believe Trump and he lies to you all the time. I can understand why the truth confuses you.
Posted By: MemphisHoundDawg Re: National Emergency! - 03/15/20 09:23 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisHoundDawg

I'm still doubting you.

Same here friend

Perhaps he owns a Red Ryder and lots of BB’s
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: National Emergency! - 03/15/20 09:23 PM
And your sling shot is better?
Posted By: MemphisHoundDawg Re: National Emergency! - 03/15/20 09:27 PM
And your sling shot is better?

I have lots of rocks...a truck full lol
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: National Emergency! - 03/15/20 09:29 PM
They won't really help you.
Posted By: MemphisHoundDawg Re: National Emergency! - 03/15/20 09:34 PM
They won't really help you.

They will work much better than your truckload of bs
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: National Emergency! - 03/15/20 09:35 PM
My truckload of BS has a lot of firepower.
Posted By: MemphisHoundDawg Re: National Emergency! - 03/15/20 09:43 PM
My truckload of BS has a lot of firepower.

A 4 cylinder ?

rofl
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: National Emergency! - 03/15/20 09:44 PM
Nope. And it's American too.
Posted By: bonefish Re: National Emergency! - 03/15/20 11:17 PM
Looking at the US response to this crisis in comparison to the way South Korea has handled it.

https://www.propublica.org/article/how-s...gerously-behind

This is where trump's incompetence can cost thousands of US lives. He has tried to under emphasis the importance. Sell what a great job he is doing. Without a shred of knowledge made irresponsible remarks regarding the status of the virus.

This is when critical leadership is a must. Where the the people of the country must look to the government and believe them.

How can a pathological liar be trusted?

His incompetence is now very dangerous.

Posted By: GMdawg Re: National Emergency! - 03/16/20 09:55 AM
If Pit says he has guns, then he has guns. He has always been 100 percent honest with me. To call him dishonest tsktsk boo
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: National Emergency! - 03/16/20 11:20 AM

I'm still doubting you.

pffft ....the trump era. You are the weak of the weakest. Probably crap at marksmanship as well.
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: National Emergency! - 03/16/20 11:40 AM
And still ............. we can’t get tested if we want to get tested. Wash your hands and stay home is all we’re getting to stop the spread. Pffft trump
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: National Emergency! - 03/23/20 04:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

Finally!

thumbsup

I don't but this is what a lot of people were calling for weeks before he finally did it. I tried to explain to people on social media, mostly from the left who wanted to blame Trump for being slow to make this declaration that what they were in essence doing...

Was giving a guy they hated and considered on the verge of authoritarian dictatorship anyway... the latitude to go outside the constitution to enact policies based on his own whims...

Watching the left use this crisis to try to backdoor as much of their agenda into place as possible has been sickening.

Watching the right downplay it for so long and caudle corporate America over people has been sickening.

Finding out that some Senators knew it was going to get bad and may have sold off stocks to protect their own fortune while downplaying it to the public is sickening.

As with most major emergencies, the only GOOD people I see in any of this are the American people who I see doing good deeds over and over and over again to take care of themselves and each other... while government and corporations boondoggle the whole thing.. we are on our own folks.

Government sucks, the democratic party sucks, the republican party sucks.. anybody who thinks moderates who aren't all HOOORAAHHHH for one party or the other are just wishy washy sucks. Take both parties and stick them up your [censored] for all I care.
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: National Emergency! - 03/23/20 09:45 AM
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

Finally!

thumbsup

I don't but this is what a lot of people were calling for weeks before he finally did it. I tried to explain to people on social media, mostly from the left who wanted to blame Trump for being slow to make this declaration that what they were in essence doing...

Was giving a guy they hated and considered on the verge of authoritarian dictatorship anyway... the latitude to go outside the constitution to enact policies based on his own whims...

Watching the left use this crisis to try to backdoor as much of their agenda into place as possible has been sickening.

Watching the right downplay it for so long and caudle corporate America over people has been sickening.

Finding out that some Senators knew it was going to get bad and may have sold off stocks to protect their own fortune while downplaying it to the public is sickening.

As with most major emergencies, the only GOOD people I see in any of this are the American people who I see doing good deeds over and over and over again to take care of themselves and each other... while government and corporations boondoggle the whole thing.. we are on our own folks.

Government sucks, the democratic party sucks, the republican party sucks.. anybody who thinks moderates who aren't all HOOORAAHHHH for one party or the other are just wishy washy sucks. Take both parties and stick them up your [censored] for all I care.

Stop lying and Stop propping up your imperial puppet..he was late to the table he called this a Democrat hoax again. He’s a miserable leader, and still no tests kits masks gloves...the stimulus plan failed because trump wants to bailout big corporations, airlines, and cruise ships who keep spreading the virus to other countries. Pffft trump
Posted By: GMdawg Re: National Emergency! - 03/23/20 11:54 AM
Quote:
Stop lying and Stop propping up your imperial puppet..he was late to the table he called this a Democrat hoax again. He’s a miserable leader, and still no tests kits masks gloves...the stimulus plan failed because trump wants to bailout big corporations, airlines, and cruise ships who keep spreading the virus to other countries. Pffft trump

It's the people who traveled all over the place that spread this. It wasn't/isn't a company, an airline, or a cruise ship that did that it was PEOPLE.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: National Emergency! - 03/23/20 12:46 PM
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Quote:

It's the people who traveled all over the place that spread this. It wasn't/isn't a company, an airline, or a cruise ship that did that it was PEOPLE.

Haven't read the background to these two quotes - but People most definitely spread the virus, yes. And it was here in the USA and being spread long before Trump ever acknowledged it as a serious threat. While members of various committees were being briefed on how this could be a Pandemic with far reaching consequences - enough so that many sold millions of dollars worth of stock and bought stock into companies likely to profit ... back in MID FEB - when Trump was still liking this to the Flu and no big deal. Weeks before Nunes was telling people to go to their local pub/bar. To use an expression I heard on the radio at the time - Trump was talking about locking the front door when the murderer was already in the house.

I hope Trump makes plenty of good calls to limit the impact moving forward - but as early as January his administration was being warned what might be coming. As early as February those warning had escalated to top members of Trump's administration - and the mixed and incorrect messaging that was sent out day after day made things worse. Calling it a Dem hoax made things worse. When asked hard questions about his actions and administration Trump lashes out and says he's a victim of 'nasty questions' as if any other POTUS in our history wouldn't have been held accountable for their comments/actions/administration.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: National Emergency! - 03/23/20 02:36 PM
Don't look at me. I think Trump is an ass, and didn't handle this well. Of course I think most people in charge of our government are just as bad.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: National Emergency! - 03/23/20 02:51 PM
Don't look at me. I think Trump is an ass, and didn't handle this well. Of course I think most people in charge of our government are just as bad.

Bro, it would take a forest of stupid sticks and regular beatings to make 'most people in charge' as stupid as Trump. I don't agree with republican politics and guys like McConnell make me sick but at least they show empathy occasionally. And they even understand what it is to be poor once in a while... those two things are impossible for Trump.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: National Emergency! - 03/23/20 04:45 PM

The difference here is I wasn't fooled by Don the Con....
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: National Emergency! - 03/23/20 11:46 PM

LOl…so I take you you are on the government cheese.
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: National Emergency! - 03/23/20 11:54 PM
Remember that time when another member attacked another member in the very exact way you’re doing?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: National Emergency! - 03/24/20 12:31 AM
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
Remember that time when another member attacked another member in the very exact way you’re doing?

Honestly, no, but I sometimes need a nudge, I am not getting any younger.

I am keen on a lot of things, but no, I don't recall every conversation had on here. I remember many, but that one escapes me, at least in the way you worded it. Add a bit more to help my recall and I probably will.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: National Emergency! - 03/24/20 12:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Wow you are on an roll with your below the belt insults.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: National Emergency! - 03/24/20 01:24 AM
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

Wow you are on an roll with your below the belt insults.

And Don the Con isn't?

I wasn't a fan of President Obama, but I don't think you can ever find a time I didn't call him President Obama.

I may have used the term Obamacare, but that wasn't actually addressing the President.

If you can find one, you will find 100 where I gave him the respect deserved.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: National Emergency! - 03/24/20 01:41 AM
Don the con wasn't an insult directed at you. That's the difference.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: National Emergency! - 03/24/20 03:24 PM
Respect is earned, not given.
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: National Emergency! - 03/24/20 04:28 PM
Don the con wasn't an insult directed at you.

He was con’d by the don. So in a way it was. wink wink
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: National Emergency! - 04/02/20 04:27 AM
Respect is earned, not given.

No, respect is given. It can be lost, but it is given.
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: National Emergency! - 04/02/20 11:21 AM

Finally!

thumbsup

Lol..he can’t even mobilize the front lines (doctors and nurses) in the trump virus war.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: National Emergency! - 04/02/20 12:43 PM

And isn't it funny,, Nobody needed one bullet Not one.
Posted By: jfanent Re: National Emergency! - 04/02/20 02:01 PM
Quote:
And isn't it funny,, Nobody needed one bullet Not one.

That's what every law abiding self defense weapon owner hopes for.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: National Emergency! - 04/02/20 02:25 PM
Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: National Emergency! - 04/02/20 03:32 PM
A lot of that ammo was shot at targets to blow off steam from racism overload and to make the gun owner feel a sense of power/masculinity they couldn't find elsewhere. The YEEhaw boys playing with guns. Not all gun owners fit this mold by a long shot, but everybody knows a couple of these guys.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: National Emergency! - 04/02/20 05:55 PM
Honestly, I don't know a single racist gun-owner.

I know a few racists, and I know a more than a few gun-owners.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: National Emergency! - 04/02/20 06:03 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Honestly, I don't know a single racist gun-owner.

I know a few racists, and I know a more than a few gun-owners.

The original topic mentioned gun sales while Obama was president...
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: National Emergency! - 04/03/20 12:17 AM
That has nothing to do with racism. Don't believe me? Look at gun sales when Bill Clinton was president.

The NRA pushes the narrative that every Democrat will take your guns so those who follow them panic buy every time a Democrat is elected president.

I understand that racism exists. But just using it as an excuse for things that have nothing to do with racism doesn't help further stopping it.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: National Emergency! - 04/03/20 01:15 AM
Man you know damn well a lot of those guns were sold because the bigots couldn't stand having a black president. Don't even bring that crap. Bill Maher used to talk about them treating him like President Blackenstein as if he were a monster. Look at the idiot we have now and look at Obama... Obama was way more presidential.

And all the stuff that the freedom loving 2A crowd carries on about is happening right NOW and crickets. It's all but Martial Law out there, economy is crashing, people are getting sick and dying, and the death toll predictions even on the low end sound like end of days crap! There is no reported rush on guns and ammo that I'm aware of... are you? There's no talk about how we are going to have to protect ourselves from the government, you hearing that?

In my original statement, I made sure that I clarified that most gun owners are NOT these people, but everybody knows a couple of them... and anybody pretending they don't exist is just lying to themselves.
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: National Emergency! - 04/03/20 10:29 AM
I went to buy ammo for my 45...not a single handgun available. No shotguns available. Ammo was scarce. Saw a bunch of off brand rifles tho. They said they where getting a shipment of off brand handguns to keep up with demand.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: National Emergency! - 04/03/20 01:44 PM
Well that's the first I heard of it then. I mean it makes sense there would be a run on guns, but usually you hear about that on the news.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: National Emergency! - 04/03/20 01:51 PM
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
I went to buy ammo for my 45...not a single handgun available. No shotguns available. Ammo was scarce. Saw a bunch of off brand rifles tho. They said they where getting a shipment of off brand handguns to keep up with demand.

I'm just not sure why there is such a run on guns.. I don't get it anymore than I get the run on TP!
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: National Emergency! - 04/03/20 03:06 PM
Man you know damn well a lot of those guns were sold because the bigots couldn't stand having a black president. Don't even bring that crap.

No, no I don't. Like I said, gun sales spiked when Bill Clinton was elected too. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good agenda.

Quote:
Bill Maher used to talk about them treating him like President Blackenstein as if he were a monster. Look at the idiot we have now and look at Obama... Obama was way more presidential.

I don't disagree that it would be great to have a real president again. From either party at this point. That doesn't change the question on gun sales. And of course everything the great bill Maher says is gospel.

Quote:
And all the stuff that the freedom loving 2A crowd carries on about is happening right NOW and crickets. It's all but Martial Law out there, economy is crashing, people are getting sick and dying, and the death toll predictions even on the low end sound like end of days crap! There is no reported rush on guns and ammo that I'm aware of... are you? There's no talk about how we are going to have to protect ourselves from the government, you hearing that?

Yes I am. Why in the hell do you think it's gotten hard for people to find ammo?

Quote:
In my original statement, I made sure that I clarified that most gun owners are NOT these people, but everybody knows a couple of them... and anybody pretending they don't exist is just lying to themselves.

Sadly I think those who are saying what you are have invented a great false narrative. And sadly they actually believe it.

Here it is explained by a source that's pretty liberal. I'm posting in hopes it may help you to expand your thought process.........

Gun Sales Rise On Fear Of Democratic President

Gun stores across the country are reporting big increases in sales since Tuesday's election of Barack Obama to the White House. Some gun enthusiasts are worried that the president-elect and the Democratic Congress will move for tougher new gun laws that restrict some weapons.

One of the gun shops benefiting from the uptick in sales is Blue Ridge Arsenal in Chantilly, Va. The pistol range is busy today; so is the sales staff. And owner Earl Curtis is smiling.

"It's been great — especially within the last three weeks," he says.

Curtis says sales have doubled, but not because of hunting season — because of the election.

"People are afraid that their rights will be taken away, and all of a sudden they want to get large guns with [high-capacity] magazines, assault weapons. ... People think we're going to go back to the Clinton ages."

Curtis says that could mean no guns with high-capacity magazines that are able to shoot 30 or more rounds, and no firearms with collapsible stocks so the gun can be adjusted.

Some people may think they should buy now, Curtis says, so that they're "grandfathered" in before any new restrictions become law.

Blue Ridge Arsenal has sold out of Glocks. On Saturday alone, the store sold seven of the 10 M&P15 semiautomatic rifles that were in stock.

"We saw the same thing when Bill Clinton ... was elected, that there was a huge rush then," says Steve Eiserman, who goes to Blue Ridge Arsenal to shoot targets, usually with .22- or .45-caliber pistols.

Eiserman says there was a change in what gun owners could buy when Clinton was president, but that the impact wasn't huge. There is more fear this time, with President-elect Obama, he says, but he doesn't think it's warranted.

"I think the country's got a lot more bigger problems than whether or not we can buy this gun or that gun that need to be handled first," Eiserman says.

But that isn't stopping an apparent nationwide run. Curtis says other gun shops he knows are reporting huge sales. The FBI has reported a 15 percent increase in background checks for gun purchases in October, compared with the same month last year.

Dave Chagnon came to Blue Ridge Arsenal to buy a Glock, but because the store was sold out, he's buying a .40-caliber Sig Sauer 226 pistol for home protection instead.

"They're not gonna be banning anything I would be looking to purchase, so I really don't have a concern," Chagnon says.

During the campaign, Obama told voters he wouldn't take their shotguns, rifles and handguns. He has also said he respects the Second Amendment right to bear arms — but he prefers "common sense" gun laws. Vice President-elect Joe Biden has supported banning assault weapons. Saturday in his radio address, President-elect Obama said his first priority in office would be dealing with the nation's economic crisis.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=96799346

You're not going to argue with NPR are you? wink
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: National Emergency! - 04/04/20 02:16 PM
Most believe stopping virus is larger priority than saving economy: poll

The majority of Americans believe that fighting and stopping the coronavirus outbreak should be the federal government's top priority, ahead of fixing the country's crippled economy, a new Public Agenda-USA Today-Ipsos poll finds.

According to the poll, conducted March 27-30, 72 percent of Americans surveyed said the government should focus on stopping the outbreak of COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus, while 21 percent said saving the economy should be the main focus.

More than 80 percent of respondents said they supported restarting the economy gradually to avoid putting more people's lives in danger.

Additionally, 74 percent said they believed that state and local governments were doing all they could to fight the virus, while only half said they believed the same of the federal government.

This was largely split along party lines, with 74 percent of Republicans saying the federal government was doing all it could, while just 33 percent of Democrats said the same.

Respondents said they expected the crisis to last for months, with 23 percent saying they believe the measures to deal with the outbreak will be in place for at least six months.

The Trump administration has tried to juggle handling the flailing economy while supporting hospitals and agencies that have struggled to keep the pandemic under control, with more than 245,000 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the country as of Friday morning, according to Johns Hopkins University.

The survey had a margin of error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch...ng-economy-poll
Posted By: mgh888 Re: National Emergency! - 04/04/20 02:27 PM

No, no I don't. Like I said, gun sales spiked when Bill Clinton was elected too. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good agenda.

I think Bernie needs to get out of the race and I think Bernie supporters need to get 100% behind Biden. What's more important ? Winning a theoretical discussion about essentially nothing, or ensuring the dangerous idiot in the WH is replaced?

That said this one comment made me go search on Google. Your statement is not accurate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/poli...-was-president/

About 1/'2 way down there is a simple chart. Gun sales were about the same for Clinton and W Bush. "Long guns" sales as they call them rose by 50% and handgun sales double when Obama was in office.

Not sure what that means, other than the dear mongering of the NRA and Alt Right worked - but I wanted to share.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: National Emergency! - 04/04/20 02:33 PM
The virus isn't going to be "stopped" ... I don't know what questions were asked in that survey but the intent and purpose of the isolation measures is to reduce the peak of the impact of the virus. Until there is a vaccine there is no "stopping" the virus.

Latest numbers around the globe and in the USA -

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

This is the best site I have found for tracking numbers.

Most interesting to me is the death rate in the USA now at 2.6% ... I've had a few friends claim that the death rate was about the same or a little higher than the flu, 'what's this issue'? .... Mortality rate for flu is typically 0.1% ... 2.6 is a 26 times higher mortality rate. We know flu 'disappears' in the late spring/summer ... we don't know what CV does. And some surviving CV are showing significant ongoing issues.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: National Emergency! - 04/05/20 10:34 AM
This isn't going away and it's 50/50 we find a vaccine, and if we do it will take several years.

The common cold is a corona virus, and we haven't been able to crack that code.
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: National Emergency! - 04/05/20 11:35 AM
This isn't going away and it's 50/50 we find a vaccine, and if we do it will take several years.

The common cold is a corona virus, and we haven't been able to crack that code.

..it can possibly cause a common cold. And the common cold doesn’t kill off 2% of the worlds population in short order.

Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses, all of which have spiky proteins on their surface. Some of these viruses use humans as their primary host and can cause a common cold. Noval Coronavirus originated primary hosted in an animal and transferred to human which is really rare. And it can lead to pneumonia not a common cold. Pneumonia will normally kill you without ventilators. Most people go to work with a common cold so they don’t miss a paycheck. Bet that changes now though.
Posted By: BADdog Re: National Emergency! - 04/05/20 03:44 PM
Originally Posted By: bonefish
Looking at the US response to this crisis in comparison to the way South Korea has handled it.

This is where trump's incompetence can cost thousands of US lives. He has tried to under emphasis the importance. Sell what a great job he is doing. Without a shred of knowledge made irresponsible remarks regarding the status of the virus.

This is when critical leadership is a must. Where the the people of the country must look to the government and believe them.

You do know why he downplayed this dont you? Its because he didnt want it to effect the stock market. He would rather have people die and keep stocks up than take a risk on bad news hurting stocks.
Posted By: Dawg Duty Re: National Emergency! - 04/05/20 04:03 PM
Originally Posted By: BADdog

You do know why he downplayed this dont you? Its because he didnt want it to effect the stock market. He would rather have people die and keep stocks up than take a risk on bad news hurting stocks.

nice, did Pelosi tell you that?
Posted By: BADdog Re: National Emergency! - 04/05/20 04:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty
Originally Posted By: BADdog

No it is common sense
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: National Emergency! - 04/05/20 04:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty

“And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."

No, Trump did.
© DawgTalkers.net