DawgTalkers.net
People with lower emotional intelligence are more likely to hold right-wing views, study finds

New research from Belgium provides evidence that deficits in emotion understanding and emotion management are related to right-wing and prejudiced attitudes. The study has been published in the journal Emotion.

“I have a lifelong interest in political psychology and in political ideology in particular. The observation that left-wing and right-wing adherents tend to differ on so many psychological characteristics is amazing,” said study author Alain Van Hiel, a professor at the University of Ghent.

“Many scholars have investigated the cognitive basis of ideology in general, and right-wing ideological attitudes in particular. In the present study, we wanted to investigate if a similar relationship would exist for emotional abilities.”

In two studies, the researchers assessed the emotional abilities and political ideology of 983 Belgian undergraduate students. The second study also examined the participants’ cognitive ability. Emotional ability was measured with three tests: the Situational Test of Emotional Understanding, the Situational Test of Emotion Management, and the Geneva Emotion Recognition Test.

The researchers found that individuals with weaker emotional abilities — particularly emotional understanding and management — tended to score higher on a measure of right-wing authoritarianism and social dominance orientation.

Right-wing authoritarianism is a personality trait that describes the tendency to submit to political authority and be hostile towards other groups, while social dominance orientation is a measure of a person’s preference for inequality among social groups.

“The results of this study were univocal. People who endorse authority and strong leaders and who do not mind inequality — the two basic dimensions underlying right-wing political ideology — show lower levels of emotional abilities,” Van Hiel told PsyPost.

Those with lower emotional and cognitive abilities were also more likely to agree with blatantly prejudiced statements such as “The White race is superior to all other races.”

The researchers controlled for age, sex, and education level. But like all research, the study includes some limitations. The study only collected correlational data, preventing inferences of causality from being made.

“Of course, caution should be exercised in the interpretation of such results,” Van Hiel said. “One cannot discredit any ideology on the basis of such results as those presently obtained. Only in a distant future we will be able to look back upon our times, and then we can maybe judge which ideologies were the best. Cognitively and emotionally smart people can make wrong decisions as well.”

“The results have been obtained in one particular context. Would similar results be obtained in other contexts besides in a Western country with a long-standing stable democracy? Whether these tendencies are universal, or limited to particular contexts, is very intriguing.”

The study, “The Relationship Between Emotional Abilities and Right-Wing and Prejudiced Attitudes“, was authored by Alain Van Hiel, Jonas De keersmaecker, Emma Onraet, Tessa Haesevoets, Arne Roets, and Johnny R. J. Fontaine.

https://www.psypost.org/2019/09/people-w...udy-finds-54369
I love that this is being ignored. #SCIENCE
My take is that many people that identify with either party have issues.

link

Quote:

Data from a large, longitudinal dataset containing self-reported measures of ideology and criminal conduct were analyzed.

Liberal political ideology was significantly associated with crime cross-sectionally and longitudinally.
On one hand, I can pretty much accept that this is true in a broad sense of the idea of emotional intelligence. Conservatives tend to care less about emotions in my opinion and I think that in some ways explains why conservatives tend to be men more often than women. However, this is a broad generalization.

On the other hand, I am not a big fan of soft sciences because it allows studies like this to occur. Just a few issues:

"Right-wing authoritarianism is a personality trait " -Really? I don't remember that one on the Myers-Briggs test! That is such a strange way to describe a personality, I wonder if they thought about calling it the "evil" personality trait.

"People who endorse authority and strong leaders and who do not mind inequality — the two basic dimensions underlying right-wing political ideology" - I personally reject the concept of left and right wings, but given the general understanding of what the right wing represents, I don't agree with this definition

"social dominance orientation" - I wonder what the units of measure are for social dominance orientation.
Sometimes people confuse emotion with compassion and humanity.

It's odd how he seemed to "love the uneducated". I wonder why that is?

Maybe it's because when you lose the popular vote by almost three million America voters you can convince them you won the popular vote of every demographic? That's strictly a guess on my part.
“Of course, caution should be exercised in the interpretation of such results,” Van Hiel said. “One cannot discredit any ideology on the basis of such results as those presently obtained. Only in a distant future we will be able to look back upon our times, and then we can maybe judge which ideologies were the best. Cognitively and emotionally smart people can make wrong decisions as well.”

“The results have been obtained in one particular context. Would similar results be obtained in other contexts besides in a Western country with a long-standing stable democracy? Whether these tendencies are universal, or limited to particular contexts, is very intriguing.”

These are the last two paragraphs from the above "study". The author condradicts his entire premise in two paragraphs. This tells me the entire premise is bunk from its origin.
God has a lot to say about emotional intelligence. That is a essentially a bunch of nonsense. I stand with God, and his word stands on its own. I won't be fooled by the "traditions of men" that go against God's word.

No I won't be replying to this post either, don't need to. Again, God's word stands on its own.

Quote:

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction. - Proverbs 1:7

For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot. - Romans 8:7

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight. - Proverbs 9:10

The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. - 1 Corinthians 2:14

See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ. - Colossians 2:8
You forgot pf Millions, but, you forgot:
Those who hate God, love death.
Matt. 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Proverbs 19:17 (NIV)“Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward them for what they have done.”

Hebrews 13:16 Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.

Luke 3:10-11 And the people asked him, saying, What shall we do then? He answereth and saith unto them, He that hath two coats, let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath meat, let him do likewise.

Proverbs 22:9 Whoever has a bountiful eye will be blessed, for he shares his bread with the poor.

Proverbs 19:17 The one who is gracious to the poor lends to the LORD, and the LORD will repay him for his good deed.

Proverbs 29:7 The righteous considereth the cause of the poor: but the wicked regardeth not to know it.

Acts 20:35 In every way I showed you that by working hard like this we should help the weak and remember the words that the Lord Jesus himself said, “It is more blessed to give than to receive.”

Psalm 112:9 They have freely scattered their gifts to the poor, their righteousness endures forever; their horn will be lifted high in honor.

Proverbs 21:26 Some people are always greedy for more, but the godly love to give!

Proverbs 28:27 Whoever gives to the poor will lack nothing, but those who close their eyes to poverty will be cursed.

Deuteronomy 15:10 Be sure to give to them without any hesitation. When you do this, the LORD your God will bless you in everything you work for and set out to do.

Colossians 3:12 As holy people whom God has chosen and loved, be sympathetic, kind, humble, gentle, and patient.

Proverbs 25:21 If your enemy is hungry, give him some food to eat, and if he is thirsty, give him some water to drink.

Deuteronomy 15:7-8 If there should be a poor man among your relatives in one of the cities of the land that the Lord your God is about to give you, don’t be hard-hearted or tight-fisted toward your poor relative. Instead, be sure to open your hand to him and lend him enough to lessen his need.

Matthew 19:21 Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

Acts 2:44-26 And all the believers met together in one place and shared everything they had. They sold their property and possessions and shared the money with those in need. They worshiped together at the Temple each day, met in homes for the Lord’s Supper, and shared their meals with great joy and generosity.

Galatians 2:10 All they asked was that we should continue to remember the poor, the very thing I had been eager to do all along.

James 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Damned Liberals!
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
My take is that many people that identify with either party have issues.

thumbsup
Anecdotally, because I don't live in the south or a heavy red areas. I have found, in my personal experience that this is not even close to being true.
Trump Supporters Disrupt Early Voting in Virginia

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/trump-supporters-disrupt-early-voting-in-virginia/
LOL the left burned large portions of major cities like a month ago.
That's gotten to be the go to line around here. People form both sides, including Biden, have called out against such criminal activity. We have called for them to be arrested and convicted.

Yet when your side gets called out, your big excuse is, "Yeah, but we aren't as bad as the people who burn our cities!".

It's hilarious.

Somehow that makes interfering with people's right to vote no big deal?
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
That's gotten to be the go to line around here. People form both sides, including Biden, have called out against such criminal activity. We have called for them to be arrested and convicted.

Yet when your side gets called out, your big excuse is, "Yeah, but we aren't as bad as the people who burn our cities!".

It's hilarious.

What is not hilarious is how long it took Biden and the Dems to finally speak up against the violence.

Shouldn't have to think about it that long when you are trying to be our leader. tsktsk

I thought you were a supporter of protest?

I just find it funny how the same things are labeled differently depending on who it is doing them.
Originally Posted By: BpG
And it was the right supporting systemic racism, sending disruptive thugs into the protests, and stoking those fires.
So I assume People with higher emotional intelligence are the people wearing their hearts on their sleeves, crying out loud every time Trump takes a dump and running around with their hair on fire?

#Snowflakes
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING

It's hilarious.

What is not hilarious is how long it took Biden and the Dems to finally speak up against the violence.

Shouldn't have to think about it that long when you are trying to be our leader. tsktsk

Like Trump did with saving us all from the pandemic virus? Get a clue...
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

It's hilarious.

Like Trump did with saving us all from the pandemic virus? Get a clue...

I am happy to see you coming around to understand the greatness that is Trump, but alas, even he can't cure a Pandemic. Yet.
Biden spoke out against it in May. Once again, just because you don't listen to it does not mean it didn't happen.

I just find it funny how the same things are labeled differently depending on who it is doing them.

So you feel interfering with our democratic election process is fine? We actually have laws against that. We also have a constitution protection to peacefully protest.

I believe in both of those things. I believe in the laws that are supposed to prevent any interference in the right to vote. I believe in the right to peacefully protest.

It seems you only believe in the law when it suits your purpose.

It's hilarious.

When it's put in those terms, yeah I guess it really isn't a big deal. confused

You can't have it both ways....Far right blocks voters as some gleaning example of all that is right wing and then "Well Biden denounced it!" (lets be real he only denounced when it showed up in the polling) when they literally burn half of he city.

Come on bro, if ever there was a false equivalency.

Stack them up:
1. Billions of dollars of damaged caused by left wing parties.
2. Handful of Right wingers blocked polls for a few hours.

You posted that in response to an emotional intelligence thread. Again, looting and vandalizing multiple major cities. Protesting at voting sites with two dozen people. Emotional Intelligence thread.

I will, once again point out that all along I have called for those who have committed those crimes to be arrested and prosecuted for their crimes. Can you show me anywhere that back in May polling indicated Biden needed to speak out against the violence? Joe has always been a law and order guy. He has never been some left wing radical Trump and his cronies are trying to paint him as.

And there are videos of them on the entrance to the building. Just not the one you posted.

You also seem to try and paint those who are committing those crimes in our cities are Biden supporters. Many of them are simply anti government anarchists with no political affiliation.

The ones in those videos are actually carrying Trump signs.

Making excuses why violent criminals somehow make it okay to interfere in our election process is something I thought was beneath you. I must have been wrong.
Good lord you love shifting the goalpost. We are done here.
https://eaglerising.com/armed-black-pant...abrams-for-gov/

I didn't "shift" anything. I'm not the one here trying to say in one case we should uphold the law and use the excuse that because one set of people break the law that somehow makes it fine that another group does the same.
Anyone who intimidates voters are breaking federal election laws should be arrested and punished equally.

Did you read the story? They were 100 feet from the entrance. When asked to move, they did. They didn't prevent anyone from entering the polling place. Pollsters handing out flyers would have been closer.

just an aside;

It's funny that this crap is coming from what looks like a blog with the domain name: https://eaglerising.com/

Yet that domain redirects to: https://thewashingtonsentinel.com/

Then on the about page it talks about balanced news... lmao, so obviously GOPer.

But addressing your point:

Don't you find the description "Photos of a group of heavily armed Black Panthers gangsters have been seen in Georgia carrying on a rally for left-wing Georgia gov. candidate Stacy Abrams." just a little troubling? I mean what's the difference here?

The only significant things I see are a variation in political views and the color of their skin. I wonder what makes the black men "gangsters", while the white men with guns were touted as patriotic? Balanced news my ass. Are you seriously cool with this kind of bigotry arch?
All those antifa people that were arrested were right wing?
Quote:

Posted in a thread about lower emotional intelligence. LOL
Boy that article sure left you feeling stung didn't it... lmao@u
Because they don't consider you intelligent unless you are a Gramscian Marxist.
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell

Did you read the story? They were 100 feet from the entrance. When asked to move, they did. They didn't prevent anyone from entering the polling place. Pollsters handing out flyers would have been closer.

When asked to move they did. Because unlike some people, they respect law and order.
And it was the right supporting systemic racism, sending disruptive thugs into the protests, and stoking those fires.

I don't know about that. I see a lot of Antifa mugshots.
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell

These are the last two paragraphs from the above "study". The author condradicts his entire premise in two paragraphs. This tells me the entire premise is bunk from its origin.

Emotionally smart people. Are those the people that need a teddy bear when someone expresses an opinon they don't like?

It is my observation that most "smart" people have knowledge without knowing what to do with it.

So you feel interfering with our democratic election process is fine? We actually have laws against that. We also have a constitution protection to peacefully protest.

I believe in both of those things. I believe in the laws that are supposed to prevent any interference in the right to vote. I believe in the right to peacefully protest.

It seems you only believe in the law when it suits your purpose.

Quote:
By law, voters may rally at polling places as long as they stay at least 40 feet from the entrance and don't block any pathways.
link

They were on the road with the sidewalk unblocked in the picture some are claiming blocking.

Do I like it? No.

Is it legal? In the pictures I've seen in this thread, yes.

I can dislike something, while still pointing out double standards on a topic.
So your answer is to stand up for the things you think are wrong. Got it.
So your answer is to stand up for the things you think are wrong. Got it.

Whether I like something or not isn't a matter of right and wrong. It's a matter of opinion.

Hypocrisy is wrong, which is why I said something against it.

You seem to believe that disagreeing with you is wrong. Sadly, lots of people seem to feel that way regardless of the validity of their beliefs. It becomes extremely problematic when people short-circuit to disagreement as their default response if they see someone as on the other side without considering their perspective and/or actual argument.

It's harder to stand up for what's right when both sides are being idiots. Picking sides and sticking to it when you know something is wrong is the coward's way out. Sadly, you and many other people seem to be okay with that.
You actually don't disagree with me. Your only point is the legality of it.
You actually don't disagree with me. Your only point is the legality of it.

I disagree with your characterization of things.

Your "peaceful protests" are more intimidating than a handful of people standing around as in the first photo.

The legality was my only point that you're acknowledging anyways, but that was mostly expected. Well, I'm actually a bit surprised that you admitted even that much.

I'm tired of sensationalism, stereotypes, dogmatic holding on to BS rhetoric, and hypocrisy all around.
Nobody is trying to exercise their right to vote at those other protests you mentioned. You do realize that "a handful" indicates five, correct?

And I'm tired of people downplaying things that seem to intimidate people from exercising their constitutional rights.

I guess in the end neither one of us comes out happy.
Nobody is trying to exercise their right to vote at those other protests you mentioned. You do realize that "a handful" indicates five, correct?

And I'm tired of people downplaying things that seem to intimidate people from exercising their constitutional rights.

I guess in the end neither one of us comes out happy.

There isn't a set number in a handful, but people that have to use their fingers to count do often think of five.

I expect this same outrage from you when a small group of Biden supporters are photographed outside a polling place.

I still haven't figured out how you determine when exercising one's rights is intimidating and when it isn't, unless it's based solely on whether or not they agree with you.

The idea that people are intimidated by disagreement may have some merit, but that speaks to a failure of communication or an inability to realize that it's okay to have different opinions.
If they are ranting and screaming I will say that's just as wrong. If they are simply there to hand out pamphlets and show support in a subdued manner I have no issue.

"Just being there" isn't an issue.

Just an FYI

How many is a handful?
five
www.yourdictionary.com/Handful. A small quantity, usually approximately equal to five, the number of fingers on a hand. Something which can only be managed with difficulty.
If they are ranting and screaming I will say that's just as wrong. If they are simply there to hand out pamphlets and show support in a subdued manner I have no issue.

Just an FYI

How many is a handful?
five
www.yourdictionary.com/Handful. A small quantity, usually approximately equal to five, the number of fingers on a hand. Something which can only be managed with difficulty.

Talk about mountains out of mole hills.

A handful or two of people chanting "four more years" well outside a polling place is probably one of the least intimidating events I've ever heard of. I'd walk past them just as I do the other pollsters outside the polling place.
You must realize who you are responding to.

Just an FYI

How many is a handful?
five

Just curious, How many dictionaries did you check before you found one that mentioned 5? And then the only one uses the extremely precise language "usually approximately equal to." Oh, and yourdictionary.com actually pulled it from Wiktionary which can be user edited. Merriam-webster, Cambridge, Oxford, Google dictionary, and dictionary.com; all have no mention of 5 (though that is a handful of dictionaries tongue .)

I'll try to remember that people are only supposed to exercise their rights in a "subdued manner," so that you're comfortable with it.
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

Yep sure. Let's see the squawking when ANTIFA or Black Militia stand outside GOPer voting stations with arms and chants... rolleyes

Yep sure. Let's see the squawking when ANTIFA or Black Militia stand outside GOPer voting stations with arms and chants... rolleyes

And where in the article does it mention one single weapon? I'd walk right past them too.
I was going to ask where it said they were armed, but then I realized who I was going to reply to: A guy was calling for impeachment before trump was ever in office, a guy that, literally for years kept saying "soon, mueller report, russia, bribery, etc, ad nauseum. A guy with no cred, just hatred.

And I decided to not reply.
Someone on here is epitomizing lower emotional intelligence, and doesn't even realize it.
Quote:

The researchers found that individuals with weaker emotional abilities — particularly emotional understanding and management — tended to score higher on a measure of right-wing authoritarianism and social dominance orientation.

Right-wing authoritarianism is a personality trait that describes the tendency to submit to political authority and be hostile towards other groups, while social dominance orientation is a measure of a person’s preference for inequality among social groups.

This describes people who identify as muslim or christian perfectly. all anybody needs to do is take a scroll through history to see how correct this is.
Someone on here is epitomizing lower emotional intelligence, and doesn't even realize it.

^ irony.
I wonder why my reply was deleted...
Originally Posted By: Swish
Quote:

This describes people who identify as muslim or christian perfectly. all anybody needs to do is take a scroll through history to see how correct this is.

Anybody who knows history should know there wasn't much else to be. Religion was as much a part of life as ones means of earning a living, especially through the dark ages. It had nothing to do with personality or emotional intelligence.
yes it does.
Boy that article sure left you feeling stung didn't it... lmao@u

I didn't even read the article, but I know people who write like the example above have a lower quotient of emotional intelligence. brownie
Of course you do... look how cute it is to be snarky and uninformed, that's why we have trump. Read the article. thumbsup
Originally Posted By: Swish
yes it does.

No it doesn't.
I'll try to remember that people are only supposed to exercise their rights in a "subdued manner," so that you're comfortable with it.

All that's needed is a little accuracy. But i know expecting accuracy from you is my fault. wink

Could it be the guy using the character attacks on posters based on their political views?

Could it be the guy using the character attacks on posters based on their political views?

You shouldn't call ocd out like that, even though we both know.

Oddly, I've never seen you defend me when I get called a racist.

You shouldn't call ocd out like that, even though we both know.

Whaa...

On a personal level, no. But I have stated many times that just because someone is a Trump supporter it doesn't make them a racist.

And actually when it comes to you calling people out on their political views, that's a general statement about you that isn't specific to any one poster. In case you missed it, you weren't the only one.
Quote:
Whaa...

Another example of higher emotional intelligence.

All that's needed is a little accuracy. But i know expecting accuracy from you is my fault. wink

I prefer to be "usually approximate." thumbsup
I'm glad that article 'touched' you in this way. thumbsup
I'm glad that article 'touched' you in this way. thumbsup

I think everyone knows that it was comically ironic that it was you who posted an article about emotional intelligence. Most of us politely stayed off of it and then you went ahead and mocked people by saying something like why is this thread being ignored, as if it was an indictment on others, when in fact, we all knew that it was freaking hilarious that you, of all people, referenced emotional intelligence.
I'm only going to stay a while then I'll sublet to Rocket, he likes living in your head rent free too! thumbsup
Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.
Why? I would think you would like to see me hit in the arse.
I think the article is skewed, but I do feel like people with more conservative beliefs struggle with their emotions. I say that as someone who has historically struggled with his emotions. Most of my family is very conservative, and we all struggle with our emotions. It is hard for us to process grief, sadness, and discouragement, and I think we struggle with anger as a result because we can't appropriately process emotion, and therefore get angry.

Now, on the flipside, in my lifetime experience, I also feel like conservatives, as a whole, are also more resilient. Not in a political sense, but in a day-to-day sense. That is the one flipside positive that goes against all the negatives of being able to effectively deal with emotion. I could be wrong on this, but I would be curious to see the depression and suicide rate of conservatives vs liberals to see if I am right or wrong.

I think the major flaw of conservatives when it comes to implementing their politics is that rage becomes more of a negative factor. I also think this is a big problem on the liberal side, but not quite as big as it is on the conservative side.

Conversely, I think that elitism is the bigger problem on the liberal side. I think that liberals have more of an ivory tower approach and believe that they are more intelligent and well-equipped intellectually than conservatives. Again, I think it's a problem with conservatives as well, but if I had to pick which side is worse, it would be the liberals.

This is all just based on my experience. For the record, I actually hate that we have "buckets" for liberals and conservatives. I don't solve everything one way. Sometimes I side with one side, and sometimes the other. Sometimes, I want to flush both down the drain.
I once had a good Conservative friend who lost half his brain to disease.

He is now a Liberal.
That's what happens when people spend a lot of time around you.
It's ok, I understand, friend. rofl
If you consider me a friend I would hate to actually be one.
Call me crazy, but I bet if the two of you met each other at a Browns tailgate, you would probably get along.
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
Call me crazy, but I bet if the two of you met each other at a Browns tailgate, you would probably get along.

Get along stick and smash each other maybe.
We probably would. I'm sure he's not actually this persona he portrays on here in person.
I once had a good Conservative friend who lost half his brain to disease.

He is now a Liberal.

He must have lost the rotten bits.
We probably would. I'm sure he's not actually this persona he portrays on here in person.
Don't be so sure, he may be an actual troll. wink

jk

40 is one of the guys on that side I could get along with. I know he is conservative and likes to post BS in here, but he is also often balanced on non partisan issues AND word is he's the life of the party out at the trailer park.
You mean he moved out of the campground?
Originally Posted By: dawglover05

Get along stick and smash each other maybe.

Either way, I'd like to be there to see it.
© DawgTalkers.net