DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: PitDAWG Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/26/24 09:56 PM
Jury Orders Trump to Pay Carroll $83.3 Million for Years of Defamation saywhat

The jury found Donald J. Trump had acted maliciously in persistently attacking E. Jean Carroll. He was found liable of sexually abusing her last year.

Jury orders Trump to pay Carroll damages for defamation. Here’s the latest.

A Manhattan jury on Friday ordered former President Donald J. Trump to pay $83.3 million to the writer E. Jean Carroll for defaming her in social media posts, news conferences and even on the campaign trail ever since she first accused him in 2019 of raping her in a department store dressing room decades earlier.

The award included $65 million in punitive damages, which the nine-member jury assessed after finding Mr. Trump, 77, had acted maliciously after Ms. Carroll’s lawyers pointed to Mr. Trump’s persisting in attacks on her, both from the White House and after leaving office.

From the press room, we can’t see any reaction from Trump’s lawyers. They are slumped back in their seats. $83.3 million is a major number. And there may be more to come: In Trump’s other civil trial, the outcome has yet to be determined. Trump could be on the hook for hundreds of millions more.

“I will not comment on the verdict you have reached,” Judge Kaplan says, but he praises the jurors for their attention and focus, saying that they have given “all we can ask.”

In the press room, reporters gasped when the $65 million figure was read out loud.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/01/26/nyregion/trump-carroll-defamation-trial

All the while the Republican base is singing this in homage to trump.....

Posted By: JimDawg Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/26/24 10:09 PM
[Linked Image from i.imgflip.com]
Posted By: FATE Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/26/24 10:10 PM
“I’ll say it with great respect: Number one, she’s not my type,” Trump told The Hill shortly after the New York Mag excerpt came out. “Number two, it never happened. It never happened, OK?”

“Totally lying. I don’t know anything about her,” Trump went on. “I know nothing about this woman. I know nothing about her. She is — it’s just a terrible thing that people can make statements like that.”
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/26/24 10:11 PM
83.3 million dollars isn't rent free. rofl

And don't forget to pay the lady as you leave. naughtydevil
Posted By: hitt Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/26/24 10:27 PM
Sad truth as I understand it- Trump will pay her with his PAC money- he'll do anything he wants. His MAGA idiots pay all his bills, he does live rent free.

All his connies do as the Master does- Bannon, a key advisor- he doesn't pay his lawyer AND wait for it- now he's concerned if they open up his finances they will find evidence he committed felonies stealing money from--"Build the Wall"---old saying- there is a sucker born every day===anyone sending ANY money to the Republican party or Trump has a screw loose.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/26/24 11:15 PM
Maybe he will learn to shut his piehole. That would be a huge stride forward.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/26/24 11:22 PM
The most interesting thing is this, the court can reach into his cash accounts and take the money. They don't have to rely on Trump writing a check or having some accountant write one for him...

JIMDAWG, he's living rent free because his supporters are picking up the tab. Folks like you perhaps. How does it feel paying for this losers antics and absurd behavior?
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/26/24 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by EveDawg

One can only hope, but I don't think it's possible to shut him up. He doesn't care about the money. His supporters are still sending in donations for his campaign and legal fees.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 12:02 AM
Cheers for your rapist guru.

$83.3 million dollars.

You see there are Laws that we must live by in this country. When you are found guilty by a jury of your peers. You are guilty.

trump is a criminal. Money will be the least of his problems because soon he will have free rent and meals to go with his new pin strips inside his 10x10 cell block.
Posted By: JimDawg Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 12:56 AM
Originally Posted by bonefish

$83.3 million dollars.

You see there are Laws that we must live by in this country. When you are found guilty by a jury of your peers. You are guilty.

trump is a criminal. Money will be the least of his problems because soon he will have free rent and meals to go with his new pin strips inside his 10x10 cell block.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: JimDawg Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 01:15 AM

Biden is a Pedo. Sniff Sniff...

Hunter and Joe are as filthy as the Clintons. All should be in jail and YOU KNOW IT!

Joe and Hunter should already be in jail and warming up the cell for Trump being unjustly put in with them.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 03:28 AM

LOL.

You used the word "learn" in reference to Donald John Trump.

#yousofunny
Posted By: northlima dawg Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 03:59 AM
Originally Posted by FATE
“I’ll say it with great respect: Number one, she’s not my type,” Trump told The Hill shortly after the New York Mag excerpt came out. “Number two, it never happened. It never happened, OK?”

“Totally lying. I don’t know anything about her,” Trump went on. “I know nothing about this woman. I know nothing about her. She is — it’s just a terrible thing that people can make statements like that.”

The first court case already proved beyond a reasonable doubt that this nonsense is bs and lies.
Posted By: FATE Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 04:06 AM
Uh. that has nothing to do with the quotes.

Those are the two statements he made that she's getting 83M for. rofl

A. It's crazy as all get out.
B. I'm with Eve, maybe the dolt will finally learn to shut his fat mouth (not likely).
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 05:55 AM
Jc

My understanding of defamation is that you have to prove damages. What did Trump say that caused 83 million in damages?
Posted By: FATE Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 05:58 AM

Posted By: EveDawg Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 06:01 AM

Surely it has to be something worse than that. That is just saying "No, I didnt do it"
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 11:41 AM
"Oh, look over there a balloon."

If trump was not rich, orange, and not been a president. He would be behind bars today.

The Clintons have not been indicted 91 times. Hunter is nothing but irrelevant.

"you can grab them by the ****y, you can do anything when you are a star."

trump is a rapist but that is ok because he wants immunity. He wants to be free to commit crimes and not go to prison.

Well it is not going to work that way.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by JimDawg

$83.3 million dollars.

Nice self pic Jim
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 02:04 PM
Interesting that trump now is attacking the courts. Pretty obvious right. He believes he is above the law and wants to be free to commit more crimes.

Kind of like dictators right? Have critics killed. Control the media. Have complete unquestioned authority like Putin and Un his pals.

People have sacrificed their lives for the freedoms we have in the US. trump has no interest in honest elections. He has done all he could to stop that process.

Jimbo wants no part of democracy. He wants an orange dictator.
Posted By: FATE Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 02:34 PM

Surely it has to be something worse than that. That is just saying "No, I didnt do it"

Nope. He was already found guilty for previous statements calling her a "whack job" and saying the case was a "hoax". In the previous case he was found guilty of sexual abuse and defamation and she was awarded 5 million...

In the trial to resolve Carroll's first suit in May 2023, a jury found Trump liable for defamation and sexual abuse, and awarded Carroll $5 million.

Before the second trial got underway, the judge ruled that Carroll was telling the truth about the assault, and that Trump's statements denying her claims were defamatory. The jury was tasked only with deciding what damages Carroll was entitled to receive.

Kaplan — who is not related to Lewis Kaplan, the judge overseeing the case — then asked the jury to award Carroll at least $24 million in compensatory damages. She walked the jury through the first statements Trump made in 2019, and the many times he has repeated his claims — that he's never met Carroll, that she isn't his "type," that he didn't assault her and that the case is a "hoax" — since then, including some just days earlier.

And although the judge gave Kaplan plenty of space to describe other times Trump called her "a liar" or used the word "hoax" the case was based on those first two statements:

Though the lawsuit concerned only two sets of remarks Trump made as president, Carroll’s lawyers presented evidence demonstrating that Trump has continued to make similar comments about Carroll through the present day, despite having been found liable for defamation in both the earlier case and by the judge in this one.

Originally, the defamation suit was DOA since he made the comments in the capacity of POTUS, then...

At the time, Trump's Attorney General Bill Barr blocked the lawsuit, arguing Trump had made the comments in his official capacity as president. This caused the lawsuit to be stuck in court for several years.

In 2023, Biden's Justice Department reversed course and allowed the first lawsuit on defamation to move forward. In part because of the 2023 decision that had found Trump liable for assault, Judge Kaplan ruled that Trump had defame Carroll in 2019 and that the former president was also liable.

There is also an upcoming case (April) for more defamation and battery...

She sued him again in November when he made what she says were other defamatory statements about her in a social media post that Trump wrote in October.

Her second lawsuit also alleges battery, a claim that was allowed under a new New York state law that allows adults a one-year grace period to file lawsuits alleging sexual abuse that occurred outside of the time frame normally allowed by the statute of limitations.

Trial in the cases has been set for April.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 03:07 PM

Biden is a Pedo. Sniff Sniff...

Hunter and Joe are as filthy as the Clintons. All should be in jail and YOU KNOW IT!

Joe and Hunter should already be in jail and warming up the cell for Trump being unjustly put in with them.

When you talk about the pedo stuff and the Hunter stuff, you’re talking conjecture. In this case, we have a court ruling.

Also why are we talking about jail? This is a civil ruling.

What is wrong with this country…
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 03:08 PM

It is. He said several things, several times while being president and afterwords..............

“I’ve never met this person in my life. She is trying to sell a new book—that should indicate her motivation,” he wrote at the time. “It should be sold in the fiction section.”

On the White House South Lawn the next day, a reporter asked Trump about Carroll’s accusations as he headed outside to board Marine One.

Despite the former president’s claim he hadn’t met Carroll in his written statement, the reporter noted a photograph showing both of them together in the 1980s.

“Standing with coat on in a line—give me a break—with my back to the camera. I have no idea who she is,” Trump replied. “What she did is—it’s terrible, what’s going on. So it’s a total false accusation and I don’t know anything about her.”

Those are just a couple more examples. Free speech is what he is standing on but there are laws against defamation that limit what you can say in public about people.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 03:11 PM
Jc

My understanding of defamation is that you have to prove damages. What did Trump say that caused 83 million in damages?

That’s actually a really good point you bring up. With defamation, though, if you can tack on, “actual malice” you open up the gateway to punitive damages which it seems on its face was an element here. I think those two statements FATE brought up were also crux in the actual malice portion as well.

I’d be glad to dissect a written ruling if there is one.
Posted By: FATE Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

It is. He said several things, several times while being president and afterwords..............

“I’ve never met this person in my life. She is trying to sell a new book—that should indicate her motivation,” he wrote at the time. “It should be sold in the fiction section.”

On the White House South Lawn the next day, a reporter asked Trump about Carroll’s accusations as he headed outside to board Marine One.

Despite the former president’s claim he hadn’t met Carroll in his written statement, the reporter noted a photograph showing both of them together in the 1980s.

“Standing with coat on in a line—give me a break—with my back to the camera. I have no idea who she is,” Trump replied. “What she did is—it’s terrible, what’s going on. So it’s a total false accusation and I don’t know anything about her.”

Those are just a couple more examples. Free speech is what he is standing on but there are laws against defamation that limit what you can say in public about people.

The defamation suit was based on the two statements I posted. The statements he made while president. Yes, he made other statements, those weren't the basis of the lawsuit.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 03:16 PM
At the time, Trump's Attorney General Bill Barr blocked the lawsuit, arguing Trump had made the comments in his official capacity as president.

Which is a crazy excuse. Nothing about what trump was saying had anything to do with his "official capacity as president". Just like trying to use that excuse to get away with applying pressure state officials to change the election results. Nothing about either of those things has to do with a president's official capacity.
Posted By: FATE Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 03:18 PM
At the time, Trump's Attorney General Bill Barr blocked the lawsuit, arguing Trump had made the comments in his official capacity as president.

Which is a crazy excuse. Nothing about what trump was saying had anything to do with his "official capacity as president". Just like trying to use that excuse to get away with applying pressure state officials to change the election results. Nothing about either of those things has to do with a president's official capacity.

Not gonna argue "crazy". It's still an excuse that has been used for over 200 years. I'm actually glad that shield has been pierced, well, as long as it holds true for others and not just "Orange Man".
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 03:23 PM
You mean in the actual filing of the law suit? But that's not all the testimony the jury heard. From your post above.....

Though the lawsuit concerned only two sets of remarks Trump made as president, Carroll’s lawyers presented evidence demonstrating that Trump has continued to make similar comments about Carroll through the present day, despite having been found liable for defamation in both the earlier case and by the judge in this one.

A jury makes its decision based on the evidence presented to it. So if you wish to ignore the evidence presented to them, then you are correct. But the jury heard much more.

There is a big difference in what was filed and what the jury made its findings on.
Posted By: FATE Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 03:28 PM
Lol. I'm not wishing to ignore anything, just stating the facts.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 03:38 PM

Nope. He was already found guilty for previous statements calling her a "whack job" and saying the case was a "hoax". In the previous case he was found guilty of sexual abuse and defamation and she was awarded 5 million...

This isn't complicated. Eve didn't ask what was in the filing of the lawsuit. She asked how they came to that conclusion. They came to that conclusion based on the preponderance of the evidence that was put before them.

I find it deceptive at best to exclude what the jury head and the evidence placed before them while only including what was in the filing. So there was more to it than that.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 04:49 PM
This was just the beginning of Trumps worst year ever…
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 05:01 PM
Most of it I don't believe will be settled this year. He's an expert at dodge and delay. Most of this will drag out into next year because of it. He's hoping he will win the election and pardon himself so he won't have to face justice. Anything to avoid accountability. And who knows, if it's left to the Republican party it just may work.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 05:18 PM
Trump’s Furious Reaction to E. Jean Carroll Verdict: ‘THIS IS NOT AMERICA’

The former president found a way to blame Joe Biden for the verdict against him.

Just minutes after being ordered by a jury to cough up $83.3 million to pay his rape accuser on Friday, Donald Trump threw a tantrum on social media blaming President Joe Biden for the verdict.

“Absolutely ridiculous!” he wrote on Truth Social. “I fully disagree with both verdicts, and will be appealing this whole Biden Directed Witch Hunt focused on me and the Republican Party. Our Legal System is out of control, and being used as a Political Weapon. They have taken away all First Amendment Rights. THIS IS NOT AMERICA!”

The former president made no mention whatsoever in that statement of E. Jean Carroll. Yet in a sign that he apparently has not learned his lesson from the massive monetary judgment against him for defamation, he mocked Carroll in a separate statement on Telegram.

“We asked for one Trial, on the E. Jean Carroll False Accusation Case, but the Judge wouldn’t give it to us, he made us have two Trials on the same Hoax, and then, on the second Trial, they were allowed to use whatever information they wanted from the first, but we weren’t allowed to use anything!” he complained.

“Our Legal System is in shambles! This is another Biden Demanded Witch Hunt against his Political Opponent, funded and managed by Radical Left Democrats,” he said.

The presumed GOP frontrunner then vowed that “in the end, we will win it all, and MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!”

Earlier in the day, he stormed out of the court room during closing arguments.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trumps-furious-reaction-to-e-jean-carroll-verdict-this-is-not-america

He still doesn't seem to comprehend what defamation is.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 06:04 PM
He's a victim I tell ya, a victim I say! Everyone who holds him accountable hates him I say! It's a plot! A conspiracy! They abuse him! Just ask trump!

Trump posted a flurry of attacks against Kaplan, the judge tasked with overseeing the trial, on Friday.

In one post, Trump described Kaplan as an "extremely abusive individual, the likes of which few have seen before!" In that post, he attacked Kaplan for not allowing his attorneys to use video of Carroll discussing peoples' perception of rape as evidence in the trial.

In another post, he attacked Kaplan for being appointed to his post by former President Bill Clinton.

"The only right, honest, and lawful thing that Clinton-appointed Judge Lewis Kaplan, who has so far been unable to see clearly because of his absolute hatred of Donald J. Trump (ME!), can do is to end this unAmerican injustice being done to a President of the United States, who was wrongfully accused by a woman he never met, saw, or touched [a photo line does not count!], and knows absolutely nothing about," he wrote.

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-blas...hzAfBaLAWiWoII2DRtnJES-ey781diIB6nbVce6Q

Former president Donny. Get that through your thick skull.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 07:22 PM
trump is in for a rude awakening.

The court of Law is not a campaign stop where you lie and your cool aide drinkers swallow.

When he takes the stand on a felony charge. He is going to get humiliated.

Over the next year we will witness the unraveling of the fat orange brat.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 07:46 PM
I feel like if they awarded 83 million in damages for rape, I'd be ok with that. But 83 million for defamation seems stupid. He didn't say anything too horrible and she should grow a spine. She has been on the news networks promoting her new book. She practically gloats about it. She is making out like a bandit.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 08:07 PM
And that's fine for someone who has no idea what constitutes defamation and believes you should be able to say anything to anybody at any time. That's why juries are informed of what the laws and statutes are concerning defamation and what constitutes defamation rather than leaving up to peoples thoughts and feelings. They are then qualified to make such determinations.
Posted By: JimDawg Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Damanshot

$83.3 million dollars.

Nice self pic Jim

That pic isn't me. This one is though...

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 08:16 PM
I know your fantasy is to be a con man and pretend that you too are above the law.. And you have chosen a fine example of one to emulate.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 08:36 PM
And that's fine for someone who has no idea what constitutes defamation and believes you should be able to say anything to anybody at any time. That's why juries are informed of what the laws and statutes are concerning defamation and what constitutes defamation rather than leaving up to peoples thoughts and feelings. They are then qualified to make such determinations.

The law says you have to prove that someone made false statements about you that caused damage. How did he cause 83 million in damage? That what I want to know.
Posted By: JimDawg Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 08:38 PM
I know your fantasy is to be a con man and pretend that you too are above the law.. And you have chosen a fine example of one to emulate.

Just like your Biden, Hunter, Hillary, Bill, Pelosi, Shumer,...Shall I continue?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 08:42 PM

Just like your Biden, Hunter, Hillary, Bill, Pelosi, Shumer,...Shall I continue?

You can continue all you like. Because all you can do is try to compare people who, other than Hunter, who is not an elected official BTW, haven't been charged of anything to your hero who is facing 91 criminal counts.

So yes, please continue to spew drivel that has no basis in facts.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 08:50 PM

The law says you have to prove that someone made false statements about you that caused damage. How did he cause 83 million in damage? That what I want to know.

Just like yourself I wasn't on that jury so I don't have all of the evidence they saw in front of me. But I will say that after you have already been found liable of having sexually assaulting someone, and the judge made it plain that it constituted rape, you can't go around repeating lies and defaming someone AFTER you have already been found liable for doing it. It could be that it wasn't a single incident but instead he continually repeated these things over and over and over again. So the cumulative impact of the the repeated offenses may have played a part in it. I mean it's just like doing the same crime over and over again. Once you do that it's not like your punishment will be based on a single violation of the law. Each time you repeat the same infraction the punishment increases. But that's simply a guess on my part.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 09:07 PM
I guess I dont understand how him proclaiming his innocence counts as defamation.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 09:15 PM
Once it has been established in court that you in fact did what you were accused of, proclaiming you innocence is effect calling the accuser a liar when the court in fact has proven just the opposite. And then there were the personal comments calling her degrading names. It's not as simplistic as you're trying to make it sound.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 09:49 PM
https://lasvegassun.com//news/2024/jan/27/donald-trump-is-on-the-hook-for-883-million-in-def/

This has more info.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 09:50 PM
Unless you attended the trial it would be hard to know.

There were witnesses that testified to how that number was reached. If you walked in her shoes maybe you would think differently.

A jury of peers made the decision. In addition trump has never stopped defaming her. This is the second case for defamation. The first was $5. All he had to do was shut up. Just like all he had to do was return the documents he stole.

If you were raped and then gone through what she has since then.

You may sing a different song.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 09:51 PM
I was raped. I didnt try to extract 83 million from him.

Plus the court ruled that she was not raped, just sexually abused.

She is spending all her time gloating about this on the national media while she pimps her book. I dont feel sorry for her at all.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 10:22 PM
Sorry for your experience.

The court was a civil case they could not rule on rape.

How you feel about her is irrelevant.

The point is she was awarded the money by a jury of peers not politicians for justifiable reasons. He will appeal and lose but the amount could be reduced. It will still be a big number.

And the fraud case will be way more.

When the felony trials begin. He will be looking at prison till his hair falls out and the orange spray fades.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 10:28 PM
They ruled on the alleged rape in a previous case. Read the link I posted and expand your mind.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 11:21 PM
Nothing changes civil cases are about awarded amounts.

However, NY law is extremely complicated when it comes to rape.

In New York, a victim needs to convince a jury that a man put his penis in her vagina without her consent in order to prove rape. This is the layman’s translation of Rape 1, currently defined in criminal statute as forcible compulsion through “penetration, however slight, of the penis into the vaginal opening.”

It’s harder to prove than it sounds, because juries tend to get really hung up on the physics of a rape. Did the penis penetrate or merely have “contact” with the victim’s vagina? What if it wasn’t his penis, but just a finger—perhaps the view taken by some of the jurors in Carroll’s case (though she says both)? If she was also anally penetrated—which is not technically rape—can she be sure that she was also vaginally penetrated? None of this amounts to a hell of a lot of difference to the victim—who has to sit through the humiliation of a trial splitting hairs over which human organ touched which of her body parts and to what degree to the satisfaction of 12 random strangers.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 11:33 PM
They ruled on the alleged rape in a previous case. Read the link I posted and expand your mind.

Judge in E. Jean Carroll Case: Yes, Donald Trump Is a Rapist

On Wednesday, Trump’s request for a new trial in the E. Jean Carroll case, after he was found liable for sexual abuse, battery, and defamation, was rejected. And in his desperate attempt to avoid accountability, the twice-impeached and twice-indicted former president may have unintentionally allowed himself to now be formally known as a rapist.

Trump’s team had requested a new trial in the case, arguing that the $5 million in damages he was ordered to pay Carroll was excessive, because he was only charged with sexual abuse. The jury had not found that Trump “raped” Carroll, a talking point Trump’s team often parroted.

But Judge Lewis Kaplan called Trump’s semantic argument “entirely unpersuasive.” He clarified that the jury found that the former president did indeed “rape” Carroll based on the common definition of the word.

Kaplan noted that New York penal law (the jury in the Carroll case was based in New York) has a “far narrower” definition of the word “rape” than in “common modern parlance, its definition in some dictionaries, in some federal and state criminal statutes, and elsewhere.”

“The finding that Ms. Carroll failed to prove that she was ‘raped’ within the meaning of the New York Penal Law does not mean that she failed to prove that Mr. Trump ‘raped’ her as many people commonly understand the word ‘rape,’” Kaplan wrote.

“Indeed, as the evidence at trial recounted below makes clear, the jury found that Mr. Trump in fact did exactly that [rape, as ‘commonly’ understood].”

“A United States District Judge has now formally held, in a lengthy written opinion, that it is perfectly appropriate, and, indeed, entirely accurate, to call a certain former President of the United States a rapist,” noted George Conway, lawyer and husband to former Trump aide Kellyanne Conway.

All that to say, based on the legal language, a rapist—for the third presidential cycle in a row—is leading the 2024 Republican primary.

https://newrepublic.com/post/174448/judge-e-jean-carroll-case-yes-donald-trump-rapist

I'm very sorry to hear what happened to you. As for you suing him, there are two things that need to be considered.

1. Suing someone who can not pay is counterproductive. You will incur a mountain of legal debt by suing someone that has no ability to pay the lawsuit.

2. Not everyone understands their rights and that they have the right to sue. And this latest case was not a lawsuit about the sexual assault/rape itself. It was about defamation. Unless your assailant had the means to, and did in fact have the national stage to continuously malign you, call you names and defame your character, defamation may very well not have applied in your case.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 11:39 PM
The fact is he was not found guilty of rape. You can talk around it all you want, but it wasnt rape. Libtard feelings dont matter.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 11:44 PM

HMMMMMMMM
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/27/24 11:59 PM
I feel like if they awarded 83 million in damages for rape, I'd be ok with that. But 83 million for defamation seems stupid. He didn't say anything too horrible and she should grow a spine. She has been on the news networks promoting her new book. She practically gloats about it. She is making out like a bandit.

Would you think it was stupid if it was you he shoved against a wall and put his fingers in you? I don’t care how much they gave her, it should have been more.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/28/24 12:02 AM
Jc

They based it on the estimated cost of reputation repair from experts. She could spend it all trying to erase his remarks from the internet, but she should just kick back and enjoy the money… if she ever sees it. And the damages are added when it’s determined to have been done with malice. Trump runs everyone down with malice…
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/28/24 12:08 AM
The fact is he was not found guilty of rape. You can talk around it all you want, but it wasnt rape. Libtard feelings dont matter.

And just think, you were actually trying to hold a legitimate conversation for once on this board. At least until you got your wittle feewings hurt. Let's try this again. I didn't post anything about anyone's feelings. I quoted what the judge in the case said himself.

And the reason those Tweets weren't allowed in? It's because none of them contain any facts related to the case.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/28/24 12:11 AM
I dont care what you posted. I dont read mosts of you posts because its just a bunch of feces coming out your mouth.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/28/24 12:13 AM
So you went from caring about what I posted because you commented on my post, to not caring about what I posted because you can't argue or lie that it's what the judge said and not anyone's feelings?

You're hilarious!
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/28/24 12:16 AM

Quoted for Mr Mouth Vomit so he can learn some actual facts about the case.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/28/24 12:44 PM
You are being ignorant.

Like somehow you know what happened when you were not there and you do not know Ms. Carroll.

You did not attend the trial. You did hear testimony or listen to witnesses.

You do not want to admit trump is a rapist. Why? Because you want to believe him.

It is not good enough for you how the jury rules or what the law states.

He didn't know Stormy either. He said so.
Posted By: Jester Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/28/24 03:19 PM
Just FYI on how the award was broken down
Seems like the jury thinking trump won't stop was the driving factor for the high punitive damages.

The award includes $18.3 million in compensation for harm caused to Carroll’s reputation plus $65 million in punitive damages to penalize Trump and deter him from engaging in any future defamation.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-ordered-pay-83-3-235417140.html
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/28/24 03:53 PM
And somewhere along the way trump has convinced those who refuse to look for themselves that this was a trial to determine his guilt or innocence when it was no such thing. His culpability had already been established in the previous trial. This trial was simply to break down what he had done and determine what the monetary judgement should be for what was already proven to have done.

Yet publicly both he and his attorney were complaining they weren't allowed to provide evidence of his innocence. The time for that was the previous trial where his culpability was determined. You present your defense in a trial to determine if your guilty of something or not. In that trial he lost. You don't get a second trial to try and prove you didn't do it. This trial was to determine how much the things he did impacted E. Jean Carroll and should cost him. Nothing more
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/28/24 06:33 PM
You are being ignorant.

Like somehow you know what happened when you were not there and you do not know Ms. Carroll.

You did not attend the trial. You did hear testimony or listen to witnesses.

You do not want to admit trump is a rapist. Why? Because you want to believe him.

It is not good enough for you how the jury rules or what the law states.

He didn't know Stormy either. He said so.

How is looking at facts ignorance? The jury deliberated and found him not guilty of rape. That's a fact! Your feelings on the matter don't count.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/28/24 07:09 PM
And even after trump paid Rudy his legal fees, Rudy continues to help trump blame the judge for trumps own actions. For those keeping score they have blamed Biden, The Justice System, the judges, the prosecutors, the witnesses and every other excuse in the world why trump should not be held accountable for the things he says and does....

Giuliani says judge in Trump defamation case is a ‘disgrace’

Rudy Giuliani defended former President Trump after a jury ordered him to pay $83.3 million for defaming columnist E. Jean Carroll and called the presiding judge, U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan, a “disgrace.”

“Well, the judge is a disgrace to the greatest court in America. It’s called the mother court, United States District Court for the Southern District of New York,” Giuliani said on Newsmax on Friday after the ruling, highlighted by Mediaite. “It’s had some of the greatest judges in American history. This judge is a pure disgrace.”

Giuliani, the former New York City mayor-turned-Trump attorney, criticized Kaplan over his conduct with the attorneys in the trial.

Trump was ordered to pay Carroll the large sum of money for defaming her in 2019 when he denied her accusations that he sexually assaulted her in the 1990s. It’s the second time Carroll has won damages from Trump at trial, adding to the previous $5 million she received last year when a verdict found Trump liable for sexually abusing her and defaming her over a separate comment.

Giuliani, defending the former president, said Trump was found “not guilty or not liable for rape.”

“It was sexual assault. Not rape,” he said. “And second, you can be guilty of rape and still, a person can be a wacko.”

He argued that Trump was able to defend himself against Carroll’s accusation and the defamation she caused him.

Trump has vowed to appeal the “ridiculous” defamation ruling. He said he disagrees with both verdicts and will be appealing the “Biden Directed Witch Hunt” that is focused on him and the Republican Party.

Giuliani, a longtime Trump ally, was ordered by a jury in December to pay $148 million in damages to two former Georgia election workers he claimed committed fraud in the 2020 presidential election.

After Trump lost the 2020 election, Giuliani led unsuccessful legal efforts that attempted to overturn President Biden’s victory.

https://thehill.com/regulation/cour...0DU63FJm2CMjtItOA_ocHMpFNwflqrIASMw5UDIs

But it was ONLY sexual assault Rudy said. Like that's no big deal, right? Hmmmm, that sounds familiar. It's the judges fault Rudy said. And of course the man who has never had any evidence of such wild accusations, which is why he was found to owe two election workers he defamed himself more money than trump has to pay E. Jean Carroll, makes another unsubstantiated claim that it's a “Biden Directed Witch Hunt”.

Yeah, it's everyone's fault but trumps. Just ask the GOP.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/28/24 07:21 PM
Dumb moment for me - but I just realized for whatever reason that this was a jury verdict. I kept thinking it was a bench trial, for whatever reason, which I thought was odd.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/28/24 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Jester
Just FYI on how the award was broken down
Seems like the jury thinking trump won't stop was the driving factor for the high punitive damages.

The award includes $18.3 million in compensation for harm caused to Carroll’s reputation plus $65 million in punitive damages to penalize Trump and deter him from engaging in any future defamation.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-ordered-pay-83-3-235417140.html

There you have it. The "actual malice" that the jury considered.

Eve - I am terribly sorry to hear about your past incident. That is truly awful and my heart goes out to you. I think part of the reason behind the $83.3M verdict that is different from your situation - whether we agree or disagree on the value - is that there were punitive damages involved due to the actual malice and the widespread dissemination of his statements. If I was defaming Oober here in our township (as I often do wink ), I don't think it would damage his reputation as much as a highly followed, public figure making those statements across worldwide media.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/28/24 07:48 PM
Its ok.My rape was years ago. I felt ashamed/humiliated and didnt talk about it for years. I learned my lesson: never go into a strangers house alone. I wish there was a guide for young women about what NOT to do as they navigate life because I had to learn everything the hard way. Cant trust men as far as I can throw them.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/28/24 09:01 PM
I can certainly understand your feelings there.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/28/24 11:40 PM
Watched some legal talking heads talk about timelines when she might see the money. They said with Trump’s appeals process the damages my be lowered some, but not significantly… Of course any amount in the millions is significant. Anyway, they said she won’t see a dime of it in 24, but in 25 he will have to pay her.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/29/24 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by dawglover05
If I was defaming Oober here in our township (as I often do wink ), I don't think it would damage his reputation as much as a highly followed, public figure making those statements across worldwide media.

Keep my name out yo' mouth!

With Trump's platform and fairly well established history of his followers acting on his thinly veiled threats (not even talking about Jan 6 here), it's not hard to see a path to an unprecedented dollar amount for defamation. I'd also assume that him declaring his innocence after a verdict essentially boils down to "doubling down" on what had already determined to be defamation.

The article that stated that the dollar amount was also factoring in Trump not being able to keep his mouth shut is both confusing and hilarious. By continuing to proclaim his innocence, is Trump basically just getting his money's worth out of the $83m verdict?
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/29/24 01:34 PM
I do what I want!!!

Haha, yeah, that's a good way to look at it. I hadn't thought about it in that context, but it makes sense. I'd have been curious if one of the jurors looked like that Charlie Kelly meme with all the red yarn, saying "Okay, this is how much he has defamed her up to this point. If we extrapolate the average number of defaming tweets/truths, and look at this lifespan, this would be the cumulative number of damages throughout the course of all this."

That's obviously a joke, but yeah, you make a great point.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/29/24 01:45 PM

Can you tell me what exactly each of them has done. I mean Hunters situation is pretty clear,., But other than him, what do they actually have on the others. Other than guess work.. They have NOTHING on them,,, So comparing them is kinda silly...
Posted By: FATE Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/29/24 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by dawglover05
I do what I want!!!

Haha, yeah, that's a good way to look at it. I hadn't thought about it in that context, but it makes sense. I'd have been curious if one of the jurors looked like that Charlie Kelly meme with all the red yarn, saying "Okay, this is how much he has defamed her up to this point. If we extrapolate the average number of defaming tweets/truths, and look at this lifespan, this would be the cumulative number of damages throughout the course of all this."

That's obviously a joke, but yeah, you make a great point.

I realize this back and forth is mostly conjecture, but are you aware of any precedent for a jury anticipating and estimating a person's future offenses and applying punitive damages in advance? 🤣
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/29/24 02:57 PM
No, I'm not. Good question. I imagine that will be one of the central points for an inevitable appeal.
Posted By: FATE Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/29/24 03:04 PM
Right. Still a hard sell though...

"There's no precedent for punishing my client with punitive damages before the fact. You can't assume my client will repeat an offense."

Uhhh... your client is Donald Trump. rofl
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/29/24 03:08 PM
He’ll never pay a dime. And he’ll get away with it. GOPers don’t have the nads to hold the asshat accountable for anything.
Posted By: FATE Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/29/24 03:10 PM
Trump's gonna pick his own GOP judge and jury for the appeal?

Unique take.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/29/24 03:19 PM
Trump's gonna pick his own GOP judge and jury for the appeal?

Unique take.

No, but only because he can't. That is however the only way he would say that it's fair.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/31/24 12:18 AM
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/31/24 12:47 AM
First, how is that “news?”

Second, if you have to pívot tonsaying he was found guilty in a criminal trial vs a civil trial, you already lost the argument. He was found to have committed sexual assault. It was by a preponderance if the evidence where a jury calculated that he owed $83.3M.

I don’t care any which way you look at it, that’s bad.

Also a lot of deflection on their part too.

That discussion actually kind of angers me the more I think about it. She mentions the verdict and then they basically say “yeah but he wasn’t found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt” as a retort. Yeah, and OJ wasn’t found guilty of murder so he didn’t kill his ex wife…
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 01/31/24 03:29 PM
They will minimize, victim shame or use any means necessary in an attempt to mitigate anything and everything trump has done or will do. They have given up on everything they used to stand for like personal responsibility or personal accountability. It's like they did with supporting the police. They support them except for on Jan. 6th. Now that call those found guilty of assaulting the police hostages.
Posted By: Jester Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 02/01/24 05:57 PM
Wasn't sure which thread to put this in and didn't want to start a new one for this, so it ended up here:

NBC News

More than $27M in Trump campaign fundraising went to legal costs in the last six months of 2023
Bridget Bowman and Katherine Doyle and Ben Kamisar
Wed, January 31, 2024 at 11:35 PM EST·3 min read

WASHINGTON — Former President Donald Trump’s affiliated committees spent about $27 million on lawyers’ bills and related legal fees in the last six months of 2023, new federal election filings show, bringing the total for a year that included four separate indictments to almost $50 million.

Trump’s political fundraising apparatus is sprawling, but the new filings show that the price of lawyers is weighing him down. Still, Trump, the GOP presidential front-runner, has seized on the legal cases against him as a potent fundraising tool, with his booking in a Georgia election case giving him what his campaign said was a record single-day haul.

Save America PAC, one of the groups Trump uses to raise money, spent $24.3 million on “legal consulting” in the last six months of 2023, according to federal election filings. That includes payments to firms that include lawyers like John Lauro, who is representing Trump in the case related to his effort to overturn the 2020 election; Todd Blanche, who also represents Trump in the New York hush money case; and Alina Habba, who represents Trump in the defamation case filed against him by author E. Jean Carroll and has appeared at his criminal arraignments.

While the Save America PAC raised $36 million over the last six months, $30 million came across six monthly payments from Make America Great Again Inc., a Trump-affiliated super PAC. While Save America helped provide early funding for MAGA Inc. when it launched at the beginning of Trump’s presidential bid, it appears that much of that money has been returned to Save America, which has been the primary vehicle for paying Trump’s legal fees. In the first six months of 2023, Save America PAC took more than $12 million from MAGA Inc.

Save America ended the year with just $5 million in cash banked away after having spent $35.2 million in total in the second half of 2023, almost as much as it raised.

On top of the legal spending from Save America, another Trump-affiliated group, the Make America Great Again PAC (which, under federal law, Trump raises money toward, and he can say how the money is used) spent $2.4 million on additional legal consulting in the second half of 2023.

Trump’s committees previously reported having spent more than $20 million on legal fees in the first half of 2023.

Both groups also reimbursed another company, which handles campaign finance compliance and prepares disclosures for the campaign, millions more for legal fees. It was not clear whether those legal fees were associated with complying with federal campaign finance law or with investigations into Trump's effort to overturn the 2020 election.

A fund to cover the legal fees for some of Trump’s aides raised more than $1.6 million from July to December, according to its filing. Known as the Patriot Legal Defense Fund, it does not contribute toward Trump’s legal expenses.

The filings show the brunt of the financial weight of Trump’s legal defense across four criminal cases, including two indictments related to his efforts to overturn his 2020 presidential election loss and one over his handling of classified documents after he left the White House. He also has been the subject of a civil fraud lawsuit in Manhattan related to his business.

Trump’s legal woes have also taken him off of the campaign trail and into courtrooms, monopolizing resources and diverting him with legal brawls.

Trump’s rival for the Republican nomination, Nikki Haley, has attacked Trump over his legal spending, posting on X this week, “He can’t beat Joe Biden if he’s spending all his time and money on court cases and chaos.”

Haley has continued to raise money despite early losses to Trump in Iowa and New Hampshire, even as he threatens to blacklist her donors.

This article was originally published on NBCNews.com

https://www.yahoo.com/news/more-27m-trump-campaign-fundraising-043515287.html
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 02/01/24 06:16 PM
Yes and I read it was 30 million. I considered opening a thread about trump's legal problems. You know, with 91 criminal counts in four separate cases it's an ongoing thing with updates all the time. But of course when you point those things out they make it sound as if pointing these things out makes it your issue rather than holding trump accountable. They try to make it sound as if you should just be quiet about it because they don't want to hear it. As if reporting the news about the GOP front runner that we all know will get the GOP nomination isn't news.
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 02/01/24 06:43 PM
Spending all the GOP super pac money. Lol can’t think of a better place to waste their money than paying trumps legal fees. Maybe he’ll use what’s left paying off his victims of sexual assault and hush money he’s probably still dolling out. GOPers money. Lol.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 02/01/24 06:50 PM
The dupes don’t care what Donny does with his ill gotten gains.
Posted By: Jester Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 02/01/24 09:18 PM
Seems to me that using campaign money for a non campaign purposes should be illegal
Some loophole?

If he uses campaign money for the Jan 6 trial, does that not prove that his actions that day was campaign related and not officcial precidential action?
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 02/01/24 10:56 PM
Considering US tax payers gives a pos like trump $223k annually almost makes me puke.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 02/02/24 04:03 PM
I don't think it's illegal because it doesn't come from his official campaign fund. It comes from a su·per PAC. So I suppose you could label that a loophole.
Posted By: Jester Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 02/02/24 06:43 PM
1, It should be illegal. Campaign money whether from his official campaign of a super PAC, should have to be used directly toeards the campaign.
That money was either donated directly for that purpose or as a way to elicit favors down the road.
This is not a republican or democrat thing to me, but both.

2, What kind of dupe does someone need to be give money to trump or one of his super PACS?
A self proclaimed billionaire who needs his legal bills paid by people who have trouble paying their electric bill?
Unless you are a multimillionaire getting some kind of political favor in return... why would you?
JMO
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 02/02/24 06:55 PM
I don't actually disagree with you just telling you the loophole that allows for it. I think super PAC's themselves should be done away with. And yes, that same loophole exists for both parties.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 02/02/24 08:54 PM
The dupes don’t seem to give a damn, so why should I. Personally, I think almost everything the man does is atrocious, but it’s not my money he’s stealing.
Posted By: Jester Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 02/02/24 10:31 PM
I don't actually disagree with you just telling you the loophole that allows for it. I think super PAC's themselves should be done away with. And yes, that same loophole exists for both parties.

I get that.
I think most of us can agree that there should be campaign finance reform
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 03/08/24 08:26 PM
Trump secures $91 million bond for judgment in E. Jean Carroll defamation case

The former president also filed a notice of appeal in the case.

Former President Donald Trump has secured a $91,630,000 bond for the judgment in his defamation case brought by the writer E. Jean Carroll.

The former president obtained an appeals bond from the Virginia-based Federal Insurance Company totaling $91,630,000 to cover the $83 million judgment in the case plus interest, according to a court filing Friday morning.

Trump on Friday also filed a notice of appeal of the judgment to the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. Either paying the judgment or posting a bond for the judgment's full amount was required for him to move ahead with the appeal.

"President Trump respectfully requests that this Court recognize the supersedeas bond obtained by President Trump in the sum of $91,630,000.00 and approve it as adequate and sufficient to stay the enforcement of the Judgment, to the extent that the Judgment awards damages, pending the ultimate disposition of President Trump's appeal," Trump attorney Alina Habba said in Friday's filing.

In a statement to ABC News, Habba said they are confident that their appeal will result in the judgment being overturned.

"Due to the numerous prejudicial errors made at the lower level, we are highly confident that the Second Circuit will overturn this egregious judgment," Habba said.

The conditions of the bond did not specify what assets Trump used to secure the bond.

By posting a bond, Trump guaranteed that Carroll can collect the judgment if the former president exhausts his appeal, former federal prosecutor Josh Naftalis told ABC News.

The appeal process could take more than a year, Naftalis said. Trump is still appealing the $5 million judgment a jury awarded to Carroll last May after determining the former president had sexually abused her.

The former president in January was ordered to pay $83.3 million in damages to Carroll, a former Elle magazine columnist, for defaming her in 2019 when he denied her allegation that he sexually abused her in the dressing room of a Manhattan department store in the 1990s. Trump, who said Carroll was "totally lying" and that she was "not my type," has denied all wrongdoing.

On Thursday, the judge overseeing the case denied Trump's request for a temporary delay of the penalties.

"Mr. Trump's current situation is a result of his own dilatory actions," Judge Lewis Kaplan wrote in his order Thursday. "He has had since January 26 to organize his finances with the knowledge that he might need to bond this judgment, yet he waited until 25 days after the jury verdict ... to file his prior motion for an unsecured or partially secured stay pending resolution of post-trial motions."

Kaplan said that Trump failed to show how the judgment constitutes an "irreparable injury" or demonstrate the expenses he faces by posting a bond in the case.

"The expense of ongoing litigation in the absence of a stay does not constitute 'irreparable injury' in the relevant sense of that term," Kaplan wrote.

The judge on Friday took note of Trump’s bond but declined to immediately stay enforcement of the judgment pending appeal, until he hears from Carroll.

If she opposes the arrangements, the judge said he will hear oral arguments on Monday.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/trump-sec...vmQh8qFd2fzY7VB5u_045upQPl4oAnZH54aiTzIw
Posted By: northlima dawg Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 03/10/24 09:43 PM
And of course drumpf came out in Georgia and lied some more about Carroll. He is one dumb sob.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...arroll-made-false-accusations-rcna142637

Despite being found liable for attack, Trump claims E. Jean Carroll made 'false accusations' against him
The former president is appealing two civil court losses after he was found liable for sexually abusing and then defaming the writer.

March 10, 2024, 1:45 AM EST
By Jake Traylor, Dennis Romero and Lindsey Pipia
ROME, Georgia — Former President Donald Trump on Saturday reiterated his claim that writer E. Jean Carroll had levied “false accusations” against him, even as similar remarks have resulted in large court judgments against him.

Speaking at a Georgia campaign rally that represented Trump’s pivot toward the general election as he seeks to prevent a second loss to Democratic President Joe Biden, Trump reiterated a number of grievances, Carroll’s civil court victories among them.

“I just posted a $91 million bond, $91 million on a fake story, totally made-up story,” he said, referencing the bond he posted this week as he appeals a defamation verdict against him.

“Ninety-one million based on false accusations made about me by a woman that I knew nothing about, didn’t know, never heard of, I know nothing about her,” he continued.

“She wrote a book, she said things,” Trump told the raucous crowd in Rome, about 70 miles northeast of Atlanta. “And when I denied it, I said, ‘It’s so crazy. It’s false.’ I get sued for defamation. That’s where it starts.”

At issue for Trump has been Carroll’s allegation that he raped her during an encounter in the dressing room of a New York department store in the 1990s and then defamed her by calling her account a “hoax” and a “con job.”

In May, a jury did not find Trump liable for the alleged rape but awarded Carroll $5 million after finding the former president liable for sexually abusing and defaming her.

A separate case focused on similar comments Trump made about Carroll while in office and concluded he defamed her when casting doubt on her story. U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan said that case would be about determining damages — later adjudged to be $83.3 million — as the abuse was factual.

Trump is appealing both cases.

The judgments did not appear to dissuade him from returning to his denials of her account. On Saturday, Trump said that Carroll “is not a believable person” and that Kaplan — whom he called “a terrible person, a terrible judge” and “highly corrupt” — knows as much.

Trump blamed “Democratic operatives” for his defamation woes, and called the city where he and his father bought, sold, traded and developed real estate projects for the better part of a century a crooked metropolis.

“New York is a very corrupt place,” Trump said.

It did not appear Carroll had responded to Trump’s latest denials of her story as of early Sunday.

Jake Traylor
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial - 03/10/24 11:41 PM
Her lawyer will keep reminding Trump, don’t worry. The next one will be over 100 million because Trump can’t help but to lie about everything.
© DawgTalkers.net